Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: KFI M forty live streaming in HD everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Dean Sharp the house Whisper live with you every Saturday and Sunday morning, every weekend, talking about all things home with you, custom home designer, custom home builder. Whether you live in a condo, a cottage, a castle, doesn't matter. I'm here to help you take your home to the next level. Follow us on social media, by the way, we only do the good kind, uplifting, informative, inspiring social media. We're on Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, x at Home with Dean, same handle for them all. And of course you know this very program is also the House Whisper podcast that you can listen to anytime, anywhere on demand. Hundreds of episisodes, all searchable by topic. It is literally your home improvement reference library that I'm building for you every week. And finally, if your home is in need of more personal House Whisper attention, just like the lovely folks that we met yesterday down in Garden Grove, California, you can book an in home design consult with us with me and the tea. All you have to do is go to house whisperer dot design, House whisperer dot Design. All right, we're taking calls. I'm talking to Joan. Let me make sure I didn't hang up on her. Joan, are you still with me?
Speaker 3: Yes? Yeah, sure, thank you.
Speaker 2: Okay. So Joan has a plumbing link. She has a leak. It is suspected in her main line somewhere between the house and the water meter, right, Joan, correct, yes.
Speaker 3: And also the driveway slopes down.
Speaker 2: The driveway slopes down, and the line is under the drive way, right, correct. Yeah. And here is the sticky wicket, now, okay, because it's not just about I shouldn't say it's a sticky wicket. I should say that this makes this makes the the in my opinion, the strategy very very clear, Joe, very very clear. Because here's the thing. First of all, we don't need expensive leak detection in your case. Okay, if we were trying to spot repair this pipe, this mainline, then and if it was traveling through let's say the yard, where we could dig down and actually get to it, okay, without destroying something like a driveway in order to do it, then it might it might behoove us to get a leak detection service out there and try and pinpoint it. Also, if there's no concrete on top of it, the leaked detection fee would be much less than what was quoted to you, because we're not wrestling with the concrete and the d bar in the concrete and all of the other things. We're just trying to find a leak with a pipe that's buried in the yard. But we're not going to be able to get to that leak per se underneath the concrete. And it doesn't sound like it's a catastrophic leak. It's just a leak, and I think if they suspected that it's more of a pinhole leak, I'm assuming it's a copper line that's running.
Speaker 3: Between That's what I've told Yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's what tends to happen. It's why we don't like burying copper anymore in ground, because copper is not a lifetime pipe when it's buried in the ground in contact with soil and various minerals, because we realize that it can corrode away in certain conditions, and so we would much prefer to do a PVC pipe main to the house a pottible PVC line. So anyway, the point is, we don't want to tear up your driveway. We don't need to know exactly where the pinpoint leak is. All we need to know for sure is that there is a leak, and that can happen super simple, and maybe they already did this. But the fact of the matter is, if it's a leak between your meter and the house, all you have to do is turn off the main line the valve going into the house. Okay, now the water can't flow into the house. Now, the water in between the water meter and the house is trapped right there. Right if at that point with the house water turned off, if the tiny leak detection arrow or star. Sometimes they're blue, sometimes they're red, sometimes they're yellow, but it's a tiny little device. Sometimes it's star shaped or a triangle, if that is still moving on the water meter gage, that means water is moving. That means there's a leak. And since we we've already turned off the water to the house, we know that the leak is somewhere between the house and the water meter and it's all underneath the driveway. Anyway, we don't need to know anything else. Then my suggestion is that you call out a plumber who specializes in epoxy linings for water lines. And what they can do is a qualified plumber who does this a lot. Okay, they can blow out that line with an epoxy coating on the inside of that copper line. These epoxy coatings, they're not good for catastrophic breaks or crushes or anything like that, but specifically for a copper line that's starting to pit and pinhole leak. This epoxy will line the inside of the pipe. It's essentially giving you a brand new pipe that cannot pit any longer from the inside out. And it's essentially a new water line. And it's going to be not cheap. But if you save the money on the leak detection, and when you consider the cost of manually digging up your waterline underneath your concrete driveway, it's going to be considerably less than that. And of course I want you to call three or four qualified plumbers who do this and get quotes so that you know that you're not overpaying.
Speaker 3: For Do you have any suggestions on a particular company.
Speaker 2: No, because they're all over the place. They're they're virtually all over the place, everywhere. I just want you to do some careful searches in your area and look for companies that specialize in this, not just a plumbing company that's like, oh yeah, every once in a while we do this because it's a tricky process. It's got to be done well in order for it to really take and to hold. But I've seen it done so many times effectively. So just start doing a little search for your area and call them out and start getting prices, and then you can compare those quotes and those prices. But that would be my suggestion. It seems to me that at this point we don't care about where the leak is in between. If we know it's in between the meter and the house, then we're going to just reline that main line the whole thing, and guess what the leak will be handled, because it's going to get caught somewhere in between the meter and the house.
Speaker 3: Uh huh. So I want to look for a plumber with a specialty in epoxy lining for water lines.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly that, Okay.
Speaker 3: And on a separate note, what you know, if I decide to do the house sometime after that two bedroom three bath house. What would be your estimate on the cost?
Speaker 2: Oh, I couldn't do that. I couldn't, couldn't, right, Yeah, I couldn't give you an estimate on that because it's not just about the number of bedrooms. It's about the configuration. It's about where the pipes are running, it's about access. Again, I will say this for everybody who's listening. Whenever you're getting a quote, the way you're going to find out is not to compare it to some random average out there. Of this is about what you should call. It's to bring in three or four well vetted contractors and let them bid the same thing, apples and apples, and then you take a look at those prices. It's like a Venn diagram. You will see where the prices will clump together, and you'll know that's the range. Because that's what everybody is telling me. That's the best way to do it. That's why I always tell you, guys, three or four estimates for everything. Joan, thank you for your call. Really really good question. I hope that helps, and good luck with that. But I think that's what's going to get it done. All right, y'all, We're gonna hear some new and then we'll get back to the best of the International Builders show. Eileen Gonzalez has the latest.
Speaker 4: Ukrainian President Zelenski is speaking out after the big blowout with President Trump in the Oval Office. We'll tell you what he has to say at the bottom of the hour. And right now we're going to check your drive on the two ten.
Speaker 2: Right after this. Hey, it's Dean sharp By. Now you've heard me talk about life Source water systems. In my opinion, Life Source is the best whole house system on the market bar none, and now is a great time to get a life Source system. As part of their anniversary sale, they're giving new customers a free Apple Pure antibacterial filter worth over nine hundred dollars. So call lfe source at one eight hundred Water nine nine. That's one eight hundred water nine nine, or visit lfesourcewater dot com life Source taste and feel the difference. Warranty limitations apply. Let's go to a crash on the seven to ten in Bell Gardens.
Speaker 5: That's going to be on the south Bounce the seven ten right as you're coming up on Florence Avenue. There's a crash involving a box truck and two other vehicles.
Speaker 2: They're blocking the two left lanes.
Speaker 5: This accident will have you seen some sudden brake lights to that area, so use caution as you approach.
Speaker 2: Some good news on the four or five southbound.
Speaker 5: Through Culver City, an earlier installed vehicle near the ninety connector has been cleared from the left lane into the center divider. Looks like HP is still on scene, winning for a tow truck to come remove that in stalled vehicle from the roadway. With Southern California's most accurate traffic reports, I'm Seth Blackman.
Speaker 6: This report is sponsored by AutoZone. Get in the Zone. It's time to say good night to that check engine light. With the free AutoZone Fixed Finder service. It'll help troubleshoot the likely cause of your light for free, so you can drive with peace of mind. Restrictions apply. Get in the Zone AutoZone.
Speaker 7: Have you heard the refinancing ridle of thumb that says you have to drop your rate at least a half of a percent to refi because it'll take several years of savings to recoup the closing costs for a refi. The loan exchange says the rule is nonsense. With a Loan Exchange free closer, you can lower your rate without saying any cost whatsoever. That's right, lower your rate with no costs, and your balance doesn't go up. You start saving on the first day you have the loan, and every day thereafter. If you decide to move next year or rates drop further, you can exchange that loan for another without losing a dollar that was tied up in closing costs. Today's thirty year fixed free closer rate in APR is five point ninety nine percent, So if your current mortgage rate is higher than five point nine nine percent, give the Loan Exchange a call at eight five five seven five to two ninety nine forty four, or log onto the Loan Exchange dot com. It won't cost you a thing. N MLS one sixty three seventy five three nine loan subject to credit approval. See website for licensing information, loan terms and conditions, Equal housing lender Call eight five five seventy five to two ninety nine forty four or visit the Loan Exchange dot com.
Speaker 8: We'll see if something costs less a lot less, but people are actually happier with it. That sounds like something to look into, and that's meta share. Maybe you've heard joining meta share can save you or your family up to five hundred bucks a month. That's huge, but it's also true. People are just happier with it. They love being part of something that reflects and promotes their values and what they believe in. Meta Share works too. It's been around for thirty years now and members have shared more than seven billion dollars of each other's bills. People love having telehealth and a huge nationwide Ppo networks. So yeah, really, you can save a ton and like it better. Imagine being happy with how you're taking care of your health care, whether you're self employed or part of the gig economy, or you just want to plan that you're happy with.
Speaker 6: Here you go.
Speaker 8: You can call right now and get a price within two minutes, a very very smart use of two minutes. Here's the number you need. It's eight four four fifty Bible. That's eight four four five zero Bible, eight four four fifty Bible.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's Dean Sharp. Now is the perfect time for that new dream kitchen because the best place for kitchen cabinets in all of Southern California, The Kitchen Store is having its big sale. The Kitchen Store is right off the four or five in Culver City with twelve months sayings, cash financing pricing that beats the big boxes, a totally free in showroom console with an expert kitchen designer, and happening right now the big sale. So start your new kitchen rite by dialing three ten Kitchen that's three ten Kitchen and find them on the web at three ten kitchen dot com.
Speaker 9: Why pay more for prescriptions? Stop overpaying and start saving with single Care.
Speaker 2: It's easy.
Speaker 9: Find your prescription on singlecare dot com, show the coupon at the pharmacy and start saving. Single Care works at pharmacies nationwide and it's completely free to use, whether you have insurance or not. So the next time you fill a prescription, check single Care to make sure you're getting the best price. Take control of your prescription costs. Go to singlecare dot com or download the free app today.
Speaker 10: Are you a business owner, CEO or responsible for marketing. If you are, iHeartMedia can help you reach your goals and find new customers. We reach more consumers in your target area than anyone else, and we can give you access to those buttential customers more cost effectively across radio, digital, podcasting, and social We'd love to show you how iHeartMedia can work for you. Get started today by calling eight four four eight four four iHeart. That's eight four four eight four four iHeart.
Speaker 11: We know you're loving the new preset feature on the new and improved iHeart Radio app.
Speaker 2: So cool, Thank you.
Speaker 11: But did you know that you can make almost anything a preset? Your favorite local station, sure, but your favorite podcast that amazing playlist you made for free? Even iHeart stations you can't get on the radio like free Form Radio and Alternative re one.
Speaker 1: It's a game changer.
Speaker 11: Whatever you choose, it's as easy as a tap to make a preset, find out what everyone's talking about, and get the new and improved free iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App today iHeartRadio.
Speaker 8: Do you find yourself asking questions about technology?
Speaker 2: Rich DeMuro here join me for Rich on Tech Saturdays at eleven.
Speaker 8: What is the latest thing's greatest or even not so great anything from home electronics to your mobile phone.
Speaker 1: Rich on Tech with Rich Demurrow this morning at eleven on KFI and on demand anytime on the iHeartRadio Appy.
Speaker 2: Hi Ken Jar the house with her at your service. Thanks for joining us on the program today. Glad to have you a board with me. Such a privilege. I was gonna say pleasure and a privilege, and I just combined them into one word, A pleuvilege. It's such a plevilege. It's Saturday morning, I'm allowed. H Hey, we're talking about the best of the International Builders Show, which just wrapped up this week in Las Vegas, Nevada. All right, so I'm gonna do this one quickly and then we're going to get some news and then we'll come back and dig into another one. But u okay, prepare, Prepare for an opinionated designer to speak for a couple of minutes here. One of the best of at the show was Hover Photo Realistic AI based design online design tool. Okay, what does this mean? There are a ton if you've been toying around with the idea of a remodel, there are a lot of them, and there were a lot of them at the show as well. And I'm not going to pick on Hover. I'm not even gonna mention them again here because I'm not trying to critique one company. But yeah, you would expect as is the case. What happened at the Consumer Electronics Show this year that AI was everywhere. Everybody's touting the power of AI at the at the show. So many products, so many envisions, especially when it comes to software, and especially especially especially when it comes to quote unquote using my air quotes here, and whenever I do them, I use them pretty sarcastically, especially when it comes to air quote design software. Now, what is Dean's beef with this? He doesn't want to be replaced with AI. No, I'm not worried about that. Really, I'm truly not worried about that. I will tell you what I am concerned about. I'm concerned about a program. And there are a billion of them out there that say, hey, guess what. Now we've got this advanced AI, and all you have to do is input a photo of your room, or a photo of your kitchen, or a photo of the front of your house, and then pay us our nominal fee, and our AI goes to work and will give you all sorts of renderings photo realistic, super hype of realistic renderings of what your house will look like if we redesign it. In other words, here's a little cottage front that they have on their website, and look at it with all these different front doors, different windows, styles, different This one has a stucco facing, this one has horizontal sighting, this one has brick facing, and so on and so forth. Just a computer generated and produced and it does give you some really cool perspective as to what these different surfaces would look like if you put them on your house. So what's my beef? If I don't have an issue with that, I think my main issue is the use of the word design as opposed to decor. Now here's the thing. What I get called out to do in consults and with clients all the time is to solve design problems. Very rarely, I will tell you, very rarely, and I have nothing. I mean, there are some incredibly talented interior designers, decore experts, some of them are very dear friends of mine, but they tend to not get involved in architectural design, in other words, moving bones of the house around. And that is always my first approach to a home when I'm looking at redesign. Oh, you're one of those expensive ones. Now that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the fact that design is more and should be more when it comes to your home and the money you're going to spend on it. Design should be more than just having a discussion about changing a superficial surface aesthetic. Okay, it's more than just changing the color of the wall, the paint on the walls, more than just options of wallpaper. As important as these things are, it's more than just well, should we redo these kitchen cabinets. Give an example from a yesterday's consult lovely lovely couple absolutely fell in love with them. We were down in Garden Grove and uh, what was the key to unlocking their home? They had already had ideas about, Oh, we're going to gut this kitchen, we're going to replace these cabinets, we're going to replace these countertops. They had their ideas about how it was done. But after about a half an hour of talking with them and looking around, I moved their kitchen to another room. I did not all on the other side of the house, just a few feet away. The key to unlocking their home was actually moving the kitchen about ninety degrees and shifting it to an adjacent space. And you're thinking, oh, see, that's the kind of expense we can't have dean bah ah. But here's the thing. They were already planning on gutting their kitchen, taking out all the kitchen cabinets, all the countertops. I mean, it was a full kitchen redo. Okay, that's tens of thousands of dollars. That's the it's gonna be, okay for about Let's say, let's be liberal and say the two thousand dollars more, we could saw cut the concrete slab, move the drain lines over, because those are the only really important things that are happening down the slab for a kitchen, move the drain lines over to this adjoining room, and simply rebuild the whole new kitchen there. The only price difference between spending sixty thousand dollars or sixty two thousand dollars, okay, was that two thousand dollars on the kitchen remodel, and by putting it in this other space, completely changed and unlocked the magic of their home. They hadn't thought of it that way, but that's what they pay me to do. My point is AI based design quote unquote software doesn't think like that. These things are set up. They're set up as marvels of design. It's so inexpensive to get your home redesigned. But it's not redesigning, it's just superficial change out. And if that's all you're looking for, great, pay a nominal fee and get different looks on the front of your house. But I'm telling you right now, if you're really looking to make sure your house gets transformed in this next remodel, then pay a designer to come in and give you their opinion. They're going to do more than AI software ever could. And so again I've got nothing against AI or inexpensive decore suggestions. It's just not the game changer that usually the house needs. That's all I'm saying. All Right, more, when we come back, you're home with Dean Sharp the house Whisper.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Hem HIM forty live streaming and in d everywhere on the I Heart Radio app. You are a home with Dean Sharp the house Whisper. That is me and we are talking about the best of the International Builder Show, which just wrapped up this week in Las Vegas. It's an annual event. It is the largest industry construction and design industry event on the planet, and every year we pick through the best of and I bring you things that I think are relevant to you looking forward to the future, anybody who's interested in homes, in custom home building and remodeling, all the things that affect us as homeowners that I think are most pertinent. And there are a goa billion things that happen at the International Builder Show. A lot of them are industry within industry show items, but these are the things that really approach you as a homeowner. And we're doing it today and tomorrow because it's a big list. Even though my list is tiny compared to everything that was at the show, it's still a big list. So this is part one, next episode A next broadcast tomorrow the Big Show will be part two, so don't miss it. All right, real quick, I'm running late, so I need to adjust some time here, but I want to talk to you about one of the things that still I just absolutely love and not everything that comes out at the Builders Show is amazingly expensive, and you know, innovation does not have to necessarily, you know, cost a billion dollars. How about something that costs about nine dollars. Yeah, that sounds nice. Now that I've mentioned them before, so this is not brand new in concept, but the good people at door Saver have introduced this year the door Saver three doorstop. So this is the third generation of their door or stop doorstops. You know they're they're what they are right there there. You've got really two choices when it comes to keeping a door from swinging and banging against the base board or the handle, banging into dry wall or hitting a piece of furniture or whatever. Right you've you've essentially you've had two choices. One is you get the little door stop peg that you mount down on the base board and you screw that in and it's sticking out about three and a half four inches, and sometimes they get kicked and ripped out of the wall, or maybe you've decided, well, I'm not going to do that again. You get one of those spring ones. We all know the sound that those things like that. You know they're there. They're not all together attractive, they're in the way. They get hit by vacuum cleaners and people and stuff. The other option, if you don't want that happening, is that you get one of those those little hinge pin door stops, which means you take out like the top or the middle hinge pin and you slide this little adapter on and it basically is kind of a triangular shaped thing, and it's got a pad where it pushes against the door and then it makes contact with the wall, and there's usually like an adjustable screwpad. And you know it's fine, it's not down in the way where you kick it, but still that thing is still pushing against the door in one particular place, and it's also pushing against the wall in a particular place. And if you open the door hard enough and push hard enough, it might push through the wall and do damage to the wall. Nonetheless, So you would think in this day and age that somebody could design a doorstop that would not rely on the pressure points on the wall or the baseboard. And they have the good people at door Saber, and I believe you can get these even now at lows and home deepot places like that. Door Saver has designed a hinge pin based door stop. It does not put pressure on the door, It doesn't even touch the door, and it doesn't touch the wall. It is its own cam activated system that controls the swing of the door, just as an addition to the hingepin. It's very very low profile. It comes in multiple finishes and it installs in seconds. You take out the hingepin, you replace it with the door saver pin and stop, and you actually get to set it. You can set it as to how far it allows the door to open. It has a geared system inside. It's brilliant and I'm gonna stop describing it to you and just tell you you can look it up right now online Door Saver three, Hidden Door Stop. It's just a few bucks and honestly it's a game changer when it comes to doors in a home. You need to check it out all right. More when we return your home with Dean Sharp The House Whisper. Can't buye Dean Sharp the House Whisper. Welcome home. Hey, thanks for joining us on the show today. Here we are at the end of another two hours. I've still got a little bit more for you. Don't go anywhere, but a what a privilege it is to spend time with you on a Saturday morning. We'll be right back here tomorrow morning for the rest of my list of the best of the International Builder Show, which just wrapped up this week. I'm glad you're here with me right now. If you just joined us, hang tight, I've still got some fun stuff here, so let me hit at least one more thing before we are done and out today. And this is exciting news for me. I just love to see this because you know, I understand. I have come from the world of a state level design. This is where I've spent the vast majority of my time as a custom home designer, working on big stuff, big, big, big stuff.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I was just very fortunate to be able to enter into that field because a lot of creativity. Also a lot of the solutions that I hand to you for mainstream, middle class homes, even tiny little cottages and apartments and condos, come from the lessons that are practiced and learned on the on the kinds of homes in which there are very very few limits, and the kinds of homes in which the very best of architectural design is applied. And that has something that has always bothered me about the design world is that, you know, it's really one of the secret sauces if you want to what I do here on this show, and that is democratizing good design, good architectural design. It doesn't just belong to the big house on the hill behind the private gates. It should belong to everyone. Good design belongs to everyone, including access to great designed materials and access to all sorts of interesting ways of doing a thing. And here is one from the International Builder Show that I'm so happy about talk about democratization of good design. Masonite. Mason I it's a massive company. You might know them for the boards that they've created, but they also happen to be now the largest door manufacturer in North America, all sorts of doors, entry doors, interior doors of all shapes and sizes. They are mainline I mean Masonite doors. You can order them at lows and home Depot and big Boxes and every door specialty company everywhere. Okay, Masonite is huge. And so they have introduced a couple of things that the show. One Dura style real wood doors. These are real wood doors, not fiberglass simulated door. These are exterior doors like your front door okay, or back door, anything that exposed to the element real wood, solid wood okay. But they have improved their assembly technology. They use a product a process called aquaceele and combine that with torrified wood torrified wood. I'm not going to get into the big thing. It's simply this. It is wood that has undergone a thermal heating price process that has changed the molecular structure of the wood, essentially has aged it and dried it way beyond kiln dride, way beyond that, and it basically renders would virtually weather proof on every level. So a combination of their new aquacal technology and their torripe wood exterior doors, you now have real wood doors twenty two times greater weather protection than any standard wood door. That is massive. That's just massive. So Masonite introducing a fantastic material across the line for now available for any homeowner. And also Masonite is now handling oversized pivot doors. Pivot doors are almost exclusively and have been a luxury market item, and now Masonite has essentially come in and said, listen, everybody should have access to a good pivot door. A pivot door. You know, I'm going to talk about a little bit more tomorrow the advantages and the reasons that we would apply a pivot door. But a pivot door, if you don't know, instead of having hinges on the edge attached to a jam has pivot pins top and bottomn about you know, a few inches in from the edge of the door, and it allows us to put a much heavier, much larger, oversized door in a door opening. It's very cool how it opens by the way, and it's a stronger door. It is a it holds up longer, it doesn't put pressure on the jam or the door edges or the hinges. Almost exclusively before. Now a luxury item that masonite you're you know, the Toyota of door manufacturers is now introducing and and expanding out to a much wider audience. And that kind of stuff gets me excited because design options, real design options. And no it's not for everybody. It's not gonna be for everybody, but the point is it's available and it's out there, and now you're gonna know about it. Uh And instead of just it being a secret in the pocket of luxury designers like me, you know, for our wealthy, wealthy clients. It's just I love the idea that really good design is out there and available to everybody. And that's what we strive for here on the program every weekend. So here's the deal. I want you to get out there and have a great day today. Join me back here tomorrow from nine to noon, where we will dive even deeper into my list of the best of the International Builder Show for you for twenty twenty five. Don't forget that we are all over social media at home with Dean on all the usual suspects, and if your home is in need of some personal house Whisper attention, you can book an in home design console with us at house Whisper dot Design until tomorrow. Get out there and get busy building yourself a beautiful life. We'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 6: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show, Catch my show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.