Speaker 1: It's it's it's pretty natty there.
Speaker 2: There is like this weird movement to quell's free speech, uh, kind of around the world, and and there's something we should be very concerned about.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, you have to ask, like why was the First Amendment like a high priority?
Speaker 1: It was like number one.
Speaker 2: It is because people came from countries where if you spoke freely you would be imprisoned or killed. And they were like, well, we'd like to not have that here because that was terrible. And and actually, you know, there's a lot of places in the world right now if you if you're critical of the government, you get in prisoner or killed, right, We'd like to not have that. And I mean, I suspect this is a receptive audience to that message.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I think we always thought that the West was the exception to that. That we knew there were authoritary places around the world, but we thought that in the West we'd have freedom of speech. And we've seen, like you said, it seems like a global movement. In Britain, You've got teenager has been put in prison for memes.
Speaker 1: It's like you like to you like a Facebook post, throw them in prison.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people have got an actual you know, prison for for like like obscure comments on social media, not even ship posting it, like not even I'm like that truck about that.
Speaker 1: I was like, what is the massive crime that.
Speaker 4: Pavel in France? And then of course we got Brazil with Judge Voldemort. That that one seems like the one that impacts you the most. Can you what's the latest on that?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 2: We, I guess we are trying to figure out is there some reasonable solution in Brazil?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: The you know, the concern, I mean, I want to just make sure that this is framed correctly, and uh, you know, funny means aside the the nature of the concern was that, at least at export, we had the perception that we were being asked to do things that violated Brazilian law. So obviously we cannot, as an American company impose American laws and values on other countries that you know, we wouldn't get very far if we did that. But but we do. You know, I think that if a country's law laws are a particular way and we're being asked to what we we we think we're being asked to.
Speaker 1: Break them, then and be silent about.
Speaker 2: It then obviously that is no good. So so I just want to be clear because the sometimes sometimes comes across as Elon's trying to just be a crazy whatever billionaire and demand outrageous things from other countries, and.
Speaker 1: You know, well that is true. In addition, there are other.
Speaker 2: Things uh that that I think are you know, valid, which is like we we we obviously I can't uh you know, I think any given thing that we do at ex Corp, We've got to be able to explain in the light of day and and not feel that it was dishonorable or you know, we we we did the wrong.
Speaker 1: Thing, you know.
Speaker 2: Uh so we don't we that that that that was the that's the nature of the concern. So we actually are in uh sort of discussions with the you know, judicial authorities in Brazil to try to you know, run this to ground, like uh, what's actually going on. Like if we're being asked to break the law, Brazilian law, then that's that that obviously should not be should not sit well with the resilient judiciary. And if we're not and we're mistaken, we'd like to understand how we are mistaken. I think that's a that's a pretty reasonable position.
Speaker 6: I'm a bit concerned as your friend that you're going to go to one of these countries and I'm going to wake up one day You're going to get arrested and like I'm gonna have to go bail you out or something like this is feels very acute, like yes, I mean it's not a joke now, like they're literally saying, like you know, it's not just Biden, saying like we have to look into that guy. Now it's become quite literal, like this, who is the guy who just wrote the was it the Guardian piece about like.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, there have been three articles and I think in the past three weeks Robert right, But it wasn't just him, it was like three different articles.
Speaker 7: It doesn't that's a trend.
Speaker 1: Calling for me to be imprisoned in the Guardian, you know, Guardian of what?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Guardian of I don't know, authoritarism, yeah, Guardian of the censorship.
Speaker 1: Censorship.
Speaker 6: But the premise here is that you bought this thing, this online forum, this communication platform, and you're allowing people to use it to express themselves. Therefore you have to be jailed. I don't understand the logic here. There's what do you think they're actually afraid of at this point?
Speaker 7: What's the motivation here?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think.
Speaker 2: If somebody is, if somebody is sort of trying to push a false premise on the world, then and then that that and that premise can be undermined with public dialogue, then they will be opposed to the dialogue on that.
Speaker 1: Premise because they wish the false premise to prevail.
Speaker 2: So that's I think, you know, the issue there is if they're n'tlike the truth, you know, then we want to suppress it. So now the you know, the the sort of what what we're trying to do with the X Corps is I distinguished that from my son, who's also called X. You have parental goals every time everything is just called X. Basically it's very difficult disambiguation for the Sun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's everything.
Speaker 2: So what we're trying to do simply adhere to the you know, the law is a in a country. So so if something is illegal in the United States, or if it's illegal in you know, Europe or Brazil or wherever it might be, then then we will take it down and will suspend the account because we're not you know, there to make the laws. But if speech is not illegal, then then what are we doing? Okay, now we're injecting ourselves in as as a censor, and where does it stop and who decides so and where where does that path lead?
Speaker 1: I think it leads to a bad place.
Speaker 2: So if the people in a country want the laws to be different, they should make the laws different. But otherwise we're going to obey the law in each jurisdiction and some of the euro that's it's it's not more complicated that we're not. We're not trying to flow the law. I'm going to be clear about that. We're trying to adhere to the law, and if the law has change, we will change, and if the laws don't change, we won't. We're just literally trying to adhere to the law.
Speaker 7: Pretty straightforward.
Speaker 1: You're very straightforward.
Speaker 2: For some reason things we're not adhering to the law, well, they can file a lawsuit bingo.
Speaker 7: Also very straightforward.
Speaker 6: Yes, I mean there are European countries that don't want people to promote naxi propaganda.
Speaker 7: Yes, they have some sensitivity to it.
Speaker 1: It's it is illegal and it is illegal in those countries.
Speaker 6: In those countries, if somebody puts that up, you take it down. Yes, but they typically file something and say.
Speaker 2: Yes in some cases it is just obviously illegal, Like you don't need to file a lawsuit for you know, if something is just you know, unequivocally illegal, we can literally read the law.
Speaker 1: This spilights the law.
Speaker 2: You know, anyone can anyone can see that, like, you know, you don't need like if if somebody is stealing, you don't need let me check the law on that. Yeah, okay, they're they're stealing.
Speaker 7: We had we had J. D. Evans here this morning.
Speaker 1: He did a great job.
Speaker 8: And you know, one of the things is there's this image on X of like basically like you Bobby Trump and a JD or like the Avengers.
Speaker 7: I guess.
Speaker 8: And then there's another meme where you're in front of a desk where it says d O g E the Department of Government Efficiency.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I pushed that one.
Speaker 2: I made it using Grock the image General, and I posted it my profile.
Speaker 7: How do you do it?
Speaker 1: Well? I mean, I think with great difficulty.
Speaker 2: But you know, look, it's been a long time since there was a serious effort to reduce the size of government and to remove absurd regulations. And you know, last time there was a really concerted effort on that front was Reagan in the early eighties. We're forty years away from a serious effort to remove, you know, regulations that don't serve the greater good and reduce the size of government. And I think it's just if we don't do that, then what's what What happening is that we get regulations and laws accumulating every year until eventually everything is illegal. And that's why we can't get major infrastructure projects done in the United States. Like if you look at the absurdity of the California High Speed Rail, I think they spent seven billion dollars and have a sixteen hundred put segment that doesn't actually have rail in it. I mean your tax dollars at work. I mean, yeah, what do we do that's an expense of sixteen hundred.
Speaker 1: Feet a concrete you know, And I mean I.
Speaker 2: Think it's like, you know, I realize sometimes I'm perhaps a little optimistic with schedules, but you know, I mean I wouldn't be doing the things I'm doing if I was, you know, not an optimist. So at the current trend, you know, California high speed rail might finish sometime next century maybe well probably not.
Speaker 7: We're just gonna have Cali quortation by that time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, the A I do everything at that point.
Speaker 2: So so so you I think you really think of you know, the United States and many countries. It's it's arguably worse than the EU as being like Gulliver tied down by a million little strings, and like any one given regulation is not is not that bad, but you've got a million of them and or millions actually and then then eventually just can't get anything done. And and this is a this is a massive tax on the on the consumer, on the people. It's just they don't they don't realize that there's this this massive tax in the form of irrational regulations. I'm gonna give you a recent example that you know is just insane, is that like SpaceX was fined by the e PA one hundred and forty thousand dollars for they claimed dumping putable water on the ground drinking water. So and we're like, uh, this is Starbase and we're like it's we're in a tropical thunderstorm region. That stuff comes from the sky all the time, and there was no actual harm done. You know, it's just water to cool the launch pad during liftoff, and there's zero harm done. And they're like they agree, yes, there's zero harm done. We're like, okay, so there's no harm done and you want to pay one hundred and forty thousands fine, It's like yes, because you didn't have a permit.
Speaker 1: Okay, we didn't know there was a perman needed or zero harm.
Speaker 2: Fresh water being on the ground in a place that where fresh water falls from the sky all the time.
Speaker 6: Got it next to the ocean, next to the ocean because there's a little bit of water there too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean signs of the rained so much the roads are flooded. So we're like, you know, how does this make any sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And then like then they were like, well, we're not going to process any more of your any more of your applications for launch for Starship launch unless you pay this one hundred and forty thousand dollars ransom dusts. They're like, okay, so we've paid one hundred and forty thousand dollars. But it was it's like this is no good. I mean, at this rate, we're never going to.
Speaker 1: Get to mars.
Speaker 6: I mean, that's the that's the confounding part here is we're acting against our own self interests. You know, when you look at we do have to make putting aside fresh water. But hey, you know there the rocket makes a lot of noise.
Speaker 7: So I'm certain there's some complaints about noise once in a while.
Speaker 6: But sometimes you want to have a party where you want to make progress and there's a little bit of noise. Therefore, you know, we trade off a little bit of noise for massive progress or even fun.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so like when did.
Speaker 6: We stop being able to make those trade offs? But talk about the difference between California and Texas where you and I now reside. Texas, you were able to build the gigafactory.
Speaker 7: I remember when you got the plot of land and then.
Speaker 6: Are it seemed like it was less than two years when you had the party to open it.
Speaker 2: From startic construction to completion was fourteen months. Fourteen fourteen months.
Speaker 6: Is there anywhere on the planet that would go faster?
Speaker 7: Is like China faster than that?
Speaker 1: China was eleven months?
Speaker 5: Got it?
Speaker 6: So Texas China eleven and fourteen months California.
Speaker 2: And just give you a sense of size. The tells a giga factory in China three times the size of the Pentagon.
Speaker 7: Which was the biggest building in America.
Speaker 1: No, there were bigger buildings, but the Pentagon is pretty big one. Yeah, where it was the big units in units of Pentagon, it's like three.
Speaker 6: Okay, three Pentagons and counting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, got it in fourteen months.
Speaker 2: The just the regulatory approvals in California would have taken two years.
Speaker 1: So that's that's the issue.
Speaker 8: Where do you think the regulation helps, Like for the people that will say we need some checks and balances, we can't have some because for every good actor like you, they'll be a bad actor. So where's that line then?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I have a sort of you know, in sort of doing a sensible derregulation and reduction in the size of gunment is just like be very public about it and say, like, which of these rules do you If the public is really excited about a rule and wants to keep it, we'll just keep it. And the thing about the rules if the rule is you know, it turns out to be a bad let's put it right back, okay, And then you know promsult it's like it's easy to add rules, but we don't actually have a process for getting rid of them. That's the issue. There's no garbage collection rules.
Speaker 1: When we were.
Speaker 6: Watching you work, David and I and Antonio in that first month at Twitter, which was all hands on deck and you were doing zero based budgeting, you really quickly got the costs under control, and then miraculously everybody said this site will go down, and you added fifty more features.
Speaker 7: So maybe explain because this is the first time.
Speaker 2: They were like so many articles like the that this is Twitter is dead forever, there's no way good possibly even continue at all.
Speaker 1: It was almost like the press you to see here's the obituary.
Speaker 3: Saying they're good byes on Twitter. Remember that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, they're all leaving and saying their good buyes because the site was gonna melt down.
Speaker 1: The yeah, totally failing and uh, all.
Speaker 6: The journalists left, Which is if you ever want to like hang out with a bunch of hall monitors, Oh my god, Threads is amazing.
Speaker 9: Every time I go over there post they're like they they're really triggered.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean, if you like being condemned repeatedly, then yes, you know, for the reasons that makes no sense, then threads is the way to go.
Speaker 7: It's really it's the most miserable place on earth.
Speaker 6: If Disney's the happiest, this is the anti Disney. But if we were to go into government, you went into the Department of Education or pick the department. You've worked with a lot of them. Actually, you can't go in there and see based budget. Okay, we get it.
Speaker 7: But if you.
Speaker 6: Could just pair two, three, four or five percent of those organizations, what kind of impact would that have?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think we need to do more than that.
Speaker 6: I think ideally compounding every year two three percent a year, I mean, it would be better than what's happening now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look, I think we've.
Speaker 2: You know, if Trump wins, and I'll say this, I suspect there are people with mixed feelings about whether that should happen. But if but we do have an opportunity to do kind of a once in a lifetime deregulation and reduction in the size of the government. Because because the thin besides the regulations, America is also going bankrupt extremely quickly, and nobody seems to everyone seems to be sort of whistling past the graveyard on this one.
Speaker 7: But they're all grabbing the silverware.
Speaker 10: Everyone's stuff in their pockets and silverware before this Titanic says.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, the the Defense Department budget is a very big budget. Okay, it's a trillion dollars a year, deity, until it's trill trillion dollars. And interest payments on the national debt just exceeded the Defense Department budget. But they're over a trillion dollars a year just in interest and rising. We're adding a trillion dollars to the net to our debt, which our you know, kids and grandkids are going to have to pay somehow, you know, every every three months, and then soon it's going to be every two months, and then every month, and then the only thing we'll be able to pay is interest. And if this is it's just you know, it's just like a person at scale that has racked up too much credit card debt. And uh, this this is not this does not have a good ending, and so we have to reduce the spending.
Speaker 10: Let me ask one question, because I've brought this up a lot, and the counter argument I hear, which I disagree with, But the counter argument I hear from a lot of politicians, is if we were to use spending because right now, if you add up federal, state, and local government spending, it's between forty and fifty percent of GDP. So nearly half of our economy is supported by government spending, and nearly half of people in the United States are dependent directly or indirectly on government checks and either through contractors that the government pays or they're employed by government entity. So if you go in and you take two hardened acts too fast, you will have significant contraction, job loss and recession. What's the balancing act? Elon? Just thinking realistically, because I'm one hundred percent on board with you, step the next set of steps. However, assume Trump wins and you become the chief doge?
Speaker 1: Uh uh g? How how like?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 10: And I think the challenge is how quickly can we yea, how quickly can we go in? How quickly can they change and without without.
Speaker 11: That on my business card, without all the lot, without all the contraction And Tom Scott, yeah, so, so I guess how do you really address it when so much of the economy and so many people's jobs and livelihoods are dependent on government spending?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I do think it's it's it's sort of you know, it's a false dichotomy. It's not like no government spending is going to happen. You really have to say, like it's at the right level. And just remember that that you know, any any given person, if they are doing things in a less efficient organization versus more efficient organization, they're contribution to economy.
Speaker 1: There net output of business services will reduce.
Speaker 2: I mean you've got a couple of clear examples between East Germany and West Germany, North Korea and South Korea. I mean North Korea they're starving. South Korea. It's like amazing.
Speaker 10: It's a compounding effect of productivity games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's night and day. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so in the North North Korea you've got one hundred percent government. In South Korea you've got probably forty percent government. It's not zero. And yet you've got a standard of living that is probably ten times higher in South Korea at least exactly.
Speaker 1: And then East and West Germany.
Speaker 2: In West Germany you hadn't just thinking in terms of cars, I mean you had MW, Porsche.
Speaker 1: Audi, Mercedes.
Speaker 2: And East Germany, which is a random line on a map, the car only car you could get was a trabante, which is basically a lawnmower with a shell in it, and it was extremely unsafe. There was a twenty year wait, so like you know, put your kid on the list as they're conceived. And even then only I think, you know, a quarter of people maybe got this lousy car.
Speaker 1: And it's just the same.
Speaker 2: So that's just an interesting example of like basically the same people, different operating system. And it's not like West Germany was some you know, you know, a capitalist heaven.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It's quite socialist actually, so so when you look at you know, probably it was half half government in West Germany and one hundred percent government in East Germany.
Speaker 1: And again it's sort of a.
Speaker 2: Five to I'd like it call at least a five to ten x standard of living difference, and even qualitatively vastly better. And and it's obviously you know sometimes people have these amazingly in this modern era, this debate as to which system is better, Well, I'll tell you which system is better. The one that doesn't need to build the world, keep people in. Okay, that's that's.
Speaker 1: How you can tell.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's a dead giveaway.
Speaker 1: Spoiler alert. It did giveaway to get away, come in.
Speaker 2: You have to build a barrier to keep people in. That is the bad system. There wasn't West West Berlin that built the wall. Okay, they were like, you know, anyone who wants to flee West Berlin go ahead.
Speaker 1: So you know, and and if you look at sort of.
Speaker 2: The flux of boats from Cuba, there's a large number of boats from Cuba, and there's a bunch of free boats that anyone can take to Cuba, like plenty of seats. There's like, hey, wow, an abandoned boats. I could use this boat to go to Cuba where they have communism. Awesome, and yet nobody, nobody picks up those boats and does it.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 7: So given us a lot of thought.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so your point is jobs will be created if we cut government spending in half. Jobs will be created fast enough to make up for right just to count.
Speaker 2: Yes, obviously, you know, I'm not suggesting that that people you know have like immediately tossed out with with no severians and and you know can't not can't pay their mortgage. Then you see some reasonable off ramp where yeah, so a reasonable off ramp.
Speaker 1: Where you know they're still you know, earning.
Speaker 2: They're still receiving money, but have like a year or two to to find jobs in the private sector, which they will find, and then there will be in a different operating system. Again, you can see the difference. East Germany was incorporated into West Germany. Living standards in East Germany rose dramatically.
Speaker 6: So in four years, if you could shrink, aside the size of the government with Trump, what would be a good target just in terms of like ballpark, are.
Speaker 1: You trying to get me assassinated before this even happens?
Speaker 7: No? No, pick a low number.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know there's that old phrase, go postal. I mean it's like they might, yeah me, so we'll keep the post office a security detail.
Speaker 1: Guys.
Speaker 2: Yes, you are a number of just ground holds workers for former government employees, is you know.
Speaker 1: Quite scary number. I mean I might not make it, you know.
Speaker 6: I was saying low, low digits every year for four years would be palatable.
Speaker 2: And I like, if the thing is that I it's not done, Like if you have a once once in a lifetime, once in a generation opportunity and you don't take serious action and then you have four years to get it done, and then and if it doesn't get done, then.
Speaker 7: How serious is Trump about this? Like you've talked to them about it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he is very serious about it.
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 2: And no, I think actually the reality is that if you get rid of nonsense regulations and shift people from the government sector to the private sector, we will have immense prosperity and and I think we will have a golden age in this country and it'll be fantastic.
Speaker 1: Were talking about. I guess.
Speaker 8: You have a bunch of critical milestones coming up.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In fact, there's an important, a very exciting launch that maybe happening tonight. So if that, if the weather is holding up, then I'm going to leave here head to Kate Canaveral for the the Plower Storm mission, which is a private mission subfunded by Jack Dardisaman and he's importing guy and and there. This will be the first time the first private, first post commercial spacewalk, and it'll be at the highest altitude since Apollo.
Speaker 1: So it's the furthest from Earth that anyone's gone. Yeah, and you know, I go after that.
Speaker 8: Let's assume that's successful.
Speaker 1: And I sure hope so many.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're you know, absolutely, you know, astronaut prior astronaut safety man, if I would like all the issues I could save up, that would be the one to put on.
Speaker 1: So you space is dangerous, so the yeah, I mean the next.
Speaker 2: Mile soon after that would be the next flight of Starship, which you know, Starship is the next flight. Starship is ready to fly. We are waiting for regulatory approval.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It really should not be possible to build a giant rocket faster than the paper can move from one desk to another.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 7: It is really hard approved.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that movie you ever see that moviees Utopia, there's like a sloth.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, yeah, they accidentally tell a joke and then and I was like, oh no, this is here.
Speaker 1: We can take a long time.
Speaker 2: But yeah, z Utopia, you know, it's you know, the funny thing is like, so I went to the d m V about I don't know, a year later after z Utopia and to get my license renew and the guy, in an exercise of incredible self awareness, had the slots from Utopia in his his cube in his cube and he was actually swift.
Speaker 7: With the date.
Speaker 1: Yea. Yeah, No personal agency, personal agency.
Speaker 2: No, I mean sometimes people like I think the you know, the government is more confident than than it is. I'm not saying that there aren't confident people in the government. They're just in an operating system that is inefficient. Once you move them to a more efficient operating system, they their output is dramatically greater, as we've seen exactly. You know when East Jany was reintegrated Toto with West Germany and the same people were vastly more prosperous with a basically half capitalist operating system.
Speaker 1: So but I mean, for a.
Speaker 2: Lot of people live there, like the maybe most direct experience with with the government is the DMV and and and then the important thing to remember is that the government is the d m V at scale, right.
Speaker 1: Got the government got the mental power? How much do you want to scale it? Yeah?
Speaker 10: Sorry, can you go back to Chamat's question on starch. So you you announced just the other day Starship going to Mars in two years and by the way, yeah yeah, yeah yeah, and then four years for crude as personal launch and the next and how much is the government involved?
Speaker 1: Let's say, like say you watched by these not you know, but these.
Speaker 2: But based on our current progress, where with Starship we're able to successfully reach oval of lasty twice we were able to achieve soft landings of the booster and the ship in the water. And that's despite the ship having you know, half its class cooked off.
Speaker 1: You can see the video on the X platform is quite conciding.
Speaker 2: So you know, we we think we'll be able to have to launch reliably and repeatedly and quite quickly.
Speaker 1: And the fundamental Holy Grail breakthrough for rocketry.
Speaker 2: For what the fundamental breakthrough that is needed for life to become multiplanetary is a rapidly reusable, reliable rocket are for.
Speaker 1: The pirate somehow throw a firate in there.
Speaker 2: The So Starship is the first rocket design where success is one of the possible outcomes with full reusability. So for any given project, you have to say, this is the circle to the right band diagrams because a circle and it is success.
Speaker 1: The success dot in the circle is success in the set of possible outcomes.
Speaker 2: That's uh, you know, it sounds pretty obvious, but there are often projects where that that is success.
Speaker 1: Is not in the set of possible outcomes.
Speaker 2: And so so Starship not only is fully full reusability in the set of possible outcomes, it is being proven with each launch and and and I'm confident it will succeed as simply a matter of time. And you know, if we can get some improvement in the speed of regulation, we could actually move a lot faster. Uh So that would that would be very helpful. And and in fact, if the if not, if something isn't done about reducing regulation and sort of speeding up approvals.
Speaker 1: And to be clear, I'm not talking about anything unsafe.
Speaker 2: It's simply the processing of the safe thing can be done at as as.
Speaker 1: Fast as the rocket is built, not slower, then.
Speaker 2: Then we could become a space bearing civilization and a multiplanted species and ultimate and be out there among the stars in the future.
Speaker 1: And there's you know, it's it's just very like it's incredibly.
Speaker 2: Important that we have things that that we find inspiring, that you look to the future and say the future is going to be better than the past. Things to look forward to, and like like kids.
Speaker 1: Are a good a good way to assess this, Like what are kids fired up about? And if you could.
Speaker 2: Say, you know, you could you know, you could be an actional Mars. You could maybe one day go beyond the Solar System. We could make star trek star for the academy. Real that is an exciting future that is inspiring, you know, just I mean you need things that move your heart, right, yeah?
Speaker 12: Fuck yeah, yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 2: But I mean, like, like life can't just be about solving one miserable problem after another.
Speaker 1: There's got to be things that you look forward to as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and do you think you might have to move it to a different jurisdiction and to move faster.
Speaker 7: I've always wondered if, like.
Speaker 2: It's rocket technology is considered in fast weapons technology, so we can't just go do it, you know.
Speaker 7: In another country.
Speaker 6: Yes, in interesting and if we don't do it, other countries could do it. I mean they're so far behind us. But theoretically there's a national security you know, justification here if somebody can put their thinking caps on, like do we want to have this technology that you're building. The team's works are hard on stolen by other countries, and then you know, maybe they don't have as much red tape.
Speaker 2: I wished people were trying to steal it, so that no one's trying to steal it.
Speaker 1: It's just too This is too crazy basically, and that's for you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, what do you think is going on?
Speaker 8: That led to Boeing building the star Line the way that they did. They were able to get it up.
Speaker 7: But not complete.
Speaker 1: But can't complete.
Speaker 7: They can't finish.
Speaker 8: I can't finish, and we're gonna have to go up and finish well.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think Boding is a company that is they actually do so much business with the government. They have sort of impedance match to the government, so they're like bas the one notch away from the government. Maybe they're not far from the government from an efficiency standpoint because they derive so much of the revenue from the government. A lot of people think, well, SpaceX is super dependent on the government, and I actually know.
Speaker 1: Most of our revenues commercial, so and and and there's.
Speaker 2: I think, at least up until perhaps recently, because then a new CEO who actually shows up in the factory, and the CEO before that I think had a degree in accounting and I never went to the factory and didn't know how airplanes flew. So I think if you are in charge of a company that makes airplanes fly and spacecraft go to orbit, then it can't be a total mystery as to how they work. So you know, I'm like, sure if somebody is like running Coco Pepsi and they're like great at marketing or whatever. That's that's fine because you know it's not a sort of technology dependent business, you know. Or if they're running a you know, financial consulting in their degrees in accounting, that makes sense. But I think you know, if you're if you're the cavalry captain, is should know how to ride a horse?
Speaker 7: Pretty basic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like it's just concerning it.
Speaker 1: The cavalry captain spoils off the horse.
Speaker 2: You know, he's as a team, I'm sorry, gets on backwards and.
Speaker 3: Like shifting gears to AI.
Speaker 4: Peter was here earlier and he was talking about how so far the only company to really make money off AI is and Vidia with the chips. Do you have a sense yet of where you think the big applications will be from AI? Is it going to be an enabling self driving? Is it going to be enabling robots? Is it transforming industries? I mean, it's still I think early in terms of where the big business impact is going to be.
Speaker 1: Give a sense yet, I mean, I think I think they that there.
Speaker 2: The spending on AI probably runs ahead of I mean, it does run ahead of the revenue right now.
Speaker 1: That's there's no question about that.
Speaker 2: But the rate of improvement of AI is faster than any technology I've ever seen by far, and and and it's I mean, like, for example, a touring test used to be a thing. Now you know your basic open source random l M, you're writing on a freaking Raspberry pie. Probably could you know, be at the touring test. So there's I think, actually, like the good future of AI is one of immense prosperity, where there is an age of abundance, no shortage of goods and services. Everyone can have whatever they want, unless except for things we artificially defined to be scarce, like some special artwork.
Speaker 1: But anything that is a manufactured.
Speaker 2: Good or provided service will I think with the adment of AI plus robotics that the cost of goods and services will be will trend to zero. I'm not saying it'd be actually zero, but it'll be everyone will be able to have anything they want. That's the good future, of course. And you know, in my view that's probably eighty percent likely. Look on the right side, only twenty percent probably of annihilation.
Speaker 3: Nothing is the twenty percent that like, what does that look like?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: I mean frankly, I do have to go engage in some degree of deliberate suspension of disbelief with respect to AI in order to sleep well.
Speaker 1: And even then.
Speaker 2: Because I think the actual issue, the most likely issue is like, well, how do we find meaning in a world where AI can do everything, we can do a bit better that that that is perhaps the biggest challenge. Although you know, at this point, I know more and more people who are retired and they seem to enjoy that life. So but I think that that may be maybe there'll be some crisis of meaning, Like because the computer can do everything, you can do a bit better, so maybe that'll.
Speaker 1: Be a challenge. But really, you know, you need you need this sort of end of factors.
Speaker 2: You need the the autonomous cars, and you need the sort of humanoid robots or general purpose robots. But once you have general purpose humanoid robots and autonomous vehicles, you.
Speaker 1: Really you you you can build anything.
Speaker 2: And and this there's I think that there's no actual limit to the size of the economy. I mean, there's obviously you know, the massive Earth, you know, like that will be alone one limit, but you know, the the economy is really just the average productivity per person times number of people. That's the economy. And if you've if you've got humanoid robots that can do you know where there's no real limit on the number of humanoid robots and and they can operate very intelligently, then then there's no actual limit to the economy. There's no meaningful limit to the economy.
Speaker 8: You guys just earned on Colossus, which is like the largest private compute cluster I guess of GPUs anywhere.
Speaker 1: So it's the it's the most powerful supercomputer of any kind, which.
Speaker 8: Sort of speaks to what David said and kind of what Peter said, which is a lot of the kind of economic.
Speaker 7: Value so far of AI.
Speaker 1: AI has entirely gone to in video.
Speaker 8: But there are people with alternatives, and you're actually one with an alternative. Now you have a very specific case because Nojo's really about images and large images, huge video.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean, the tel the problem is different from the you know, the sort of L and M problem that the nature of the intelligence actually is actually and then what matters in the AI is different to the point you just made, which is that in the in tells Us case, the context like is very long.
Speaker 1: So you've got gigabytes of context context windows. Yeah, yeah, you've got you know of.
Speaker 2: Kind of billions of tokens of context an the amount of context because you've got seven seven cameras and if if you've got several you know, let's say you've got a minute of several high high def cameras, then that's gigabytes.
Speaker 1: So you need to compress.
Speaker 2: So the teslil problem is you've got to compress a gigantic context into the pixels that are that actually matter.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 2: You know, and and and condensed that over a time So you've got in both the time dimension and the space dimension. You've got to compress the pixels uh in space and the pixels of it in time, and and and then and then have that inference done on a tiny computer relatively speaking, a small than you know, a few hundred watts.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 2: It's a test that designed AI in furnest computer, which is still the best. There isn't a better thing we could buy from suppliers. So the test that design and AI in firmst computer that's in the cars is better than anything we could buy from any supplier.
Speaker 1: Just by the way.
Speaker 2: That's kind of by the way the air trip team is extremely good.
Speaker 8: You guys in the design there was a technical paper and there was a deck that somebody on your team from Tesla published and it was stunning to me. You designed your own transport control like layer over Ethernet. You're like, oh, Ethernet's not good enough for us. You have this pt CUI or something, and you're like, oh, we're just going to reinvent Ethernet and like string these It's pretty incredible stuff that's happening over there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, the team, the Tesla Chef design team is extremely, extremely good.
Speaker 1: So but is there a.
Speaker 8: World where, for example, other people over time that need you know, some sort of like video use case or image case. Theoretically you know, you'd say why not. You know, I have some extra cycles over here, so we should kind of make you a competitor of entity. It's not intentionally per.
Speaker 1: Se, but yeah, I mean the.
Speaker 2: You know, there's this training and inference and we do have the you know those two projects at TAILS. We've got Dojo, which is the training computer, uh and then you know our inference chip which is in every every car in computer so and dojo. We've only had Dojo one. Dojo two is you know should be we should have Dojo two volume towards then the next year, and and that that that will be.
Speaker 1: We think sort of comparable to.
Speaker 2: The sort of a B two hundred type system, a training system, and you know, so there's I guess there's some potential for for that to be used as a service.
Speaker 1: But like.
Speaker 2: Dojo is just kind of like, I mean, we're I guess, I guess I have like some improved confidence dojo, But I think we won't really know how good dojo is until probably version three. Like usually takes three major iterations on a technology for it to be excellent, and we'll only have the second major iteration next year, the third iteration, I don't know, maybe late, you know, twenty six or something like that.
Speaker 7: How's the Optimist project going. I remember we talked last and you said it's publicly.
Speaker 6: That it's in doing some light testing inside the factory.
Speaker 7: Yeah, actually being useful. What's the build of materials?
Speaker 6: And when you know, for something like that at scale, so when you start making it, like you're making the Model three now and there's a million of them coming off the factory line, what would the would they cost twenty thirty forty thousand dollars, you.
Speaker 2: Think, Yeah, I mean what I'm going I've discovered really that you know, anything made in sufficient volume will asymptotically approach the cost.
Speaker 1: Of its of a it's materials.
Speaker 2: So now there's the there's I should say that there's some things are constrained by the cost of intellectual property and like paying for patents and stuff. So a lot of you know, what's in a chip is like paying paying royalties and depreciation of the chip bab so. But the actual mordule costs the chips is very low. So so so Optimists. It obviously is human, right, robot it is. It weighs much less than it's much smaller than a car, so the you could expect that in high volume. And I would say you also probably need three three production versions of Optimists, So you need to refine the designs three at least three major times, and then you need to scale production to sort of the million unit plus per year level. And I think at that point, the cost the you know, the every materials on Optimists is probably not much more than ten thousand dollars, and.
Speaker 7: That's a decade long journey.
Speaker 2: Maybe basically think of it like the Optimists will cost less than a small car, right, so at at scale volume with three major iterations of technology, and so for a small car it costs twenty five thousand dollars, you know, it's it's probably like a twenty thousand dollars for an optimist for humanoid robot that can be your your body, like a combination of.
Speaker 1: R two, D two and C three THEO but better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, that's that's I honestly, I think people are gonna get really attached to their humanoid robot because I mean, like you look at sort of watched All Wars and it's like R T, D two and C three.
Speaker 1: I love those guys. Yeah, you know, they're awesome.
Speaker 2: And their personality and I mean all R two could do is just bef at. You couldn't speak English in three to translate the beeps you So you're in.
Speaker 7: Year two of that.
Speaker 6: If you did two or three years per iteration or something, it's a decade long journey for this to hit some sort of scale.
Speaker 2: And I would say mid major iterations are less than two years, So it's probably on the order of five five years, yeah, maybe maybe six to get to a million Yearits a year, and.
Speaker 6: At that price point, everybody could afford one planet Earth.
Speaker 7: I mean it's going to be that one to one, two to one.
Speaker 6: What do you think ultimately we're sitting here in thirty years, the number of robots on the planet versus humans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the number of robots will vastly exceed the normer of humans. Vastly, Yeah, fastly exceed.
Speaker 2: I mean you have to say, like, who who would not want their robot buddy?
Speaker 1: Everyone wants to Robert buddy.
Speaker 2: You know, it's just like especially if you know, you know, it can take care of your take your dog for a walk. It could, you know, mow the lawn. It could watch your kids. It could you know, like you could teach your kids.
Speaker 1: It could It could.
Speaker 7: Also send it to Mars.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we can send a lot of robots to Mars to do the work needed to make a colonized planet.
Speaker 2: For you, muz Already the robot planet last like the whole bunch of you know, robots like rovers and only helicopter, Yes, only robots.
Speaker 1: So yeah, the.
Speaker 2: No, I think the sort of useful humanoid robot opportunity is the single biggest opportunity ever because if you assuem like that. I mean, the ratio of humanoid robots to humans is going to be at least two to one, maybe three to one, because everybody, everybody will want one. And then there will be a bunch of robots that you don't see that are making goods and services.
Speaker 8: And you think it's a general one generalized robot that then learns how to do different tasks.
Speaker 2: Or yeah, I mean we are a realized, we're general We're just we're just made of meat, you know. Uh, yeah, I mean operating my meat puppet, you know. So yeah, we are actually and rather, it turns out like as we're designing optimists, we sort of learn more and more about why humans are shaped the way they're shaped, and you know, and why we have five fingers, and why your little finger is smaller than you know, your index finger.
Speaker 1: You know, you know obviously why you.
Speaker 2: Have opposable thumbs, but also why, for example, your the muscles, the major muscles that operate your hand are actually in your forearm, and and your fingers are primarily operated like the muscles that actuate your fingers are located. The vast majority of the of the of your finger strength is actually coming from your forearm and your fingers are being operated by tendons. A little strength that that's and so the current version of the Optimist hand has the actuators in the hand and has only eleven degrees of freedom, so it can't it's not as it doesn't have all the degrees of freedom of human hand, which has depending on how you counted, a roughly twenty five degrees of freedom. And and it's also like not strong enough in certain ways because the actuators have to fit in the hand. So the next generation Optimist hand, which we have in prototype form, the actuators have moved to the forearm just like a human, and they operate the fingers through cables just like the human hand. And then the next generation hand has twenty two degrees of freedom, which we think is enough to do almost anything that a human can do.
Speaker 8: And presumably I think it was written that X and Tesla may work together and you know, provide services. But my immediate thought went to, all, if you just provide a grock to the robot, then the robot has a personality and can process voice and video and images and all of that stuff.
Speaker 7: So yeah, it's three wrap here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think you know, everybody talks about all the projects you're working on, but people don't know you have a great sense of humor.
Speaker 1: That's not true. Oh you do.
Speaker 2: You do.
Speaker 7: People don't see it.
Speaker 6: But I would say one I know, for me, the funniest week of my life, but one of the funniest was when you did S and L and we.
Speaker 7: Got and you I got to tag along. Maybe you saw it, maybe behind.
Speaker 6: The scenes, like some of your funniest recollections of that chaotic, insane week when we laughed for twelve hours a day.
Speaker 7: It was a little terrorizing in the first couple of days.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I was a bit worried at the beginning there because frankly, nothing was funny.
Speaker 7: Da one was rough up.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, I mean, it's like a rule.
Speaker 8: But can't you guys just say it, Just say the stuff that got on the cutting.
Speaker 3: The funniest skits were the ones that didn't let you do that.
Speaker 7: I'm saying a couple of funny ones. Yeah, you can say it so that he doesn't.
Speaker 1: I mean, how much time do you have here?
Speaker 7: You just give me one or two because it was in your mind. Which one do we regret most? Not getting on air?
Speaker 1: Do you really want to hear that?
Speaker 9: I mean, I mean it was a little spicy, it was a little funny.
Speaker 1: Okay, here we go, all right, here we go, guys. All right.
Speaker 2: So one of the things that I think everyone's been sort of wondering this whole time, is Saturday Night Saturday Night.
Speaker 1: Live actually live, like live, live, live live.
Speaker 2: Or do they have like a delay or like just in case you know, there's a Warbrobe malfunction or something like that. Is it like a you know, five second delay? What's really going on? But there's a there's a way to test this right away.
Speaker 1: The way to test this, which is we don't tell them what's going on. As I woke on and said, this is the script I'll throw on the ground.
Speaker 2: We're going to find out tonight, right now, Saturday Sunday Night Live is actually live. And the way that we're going to do this is I'm going to take my cock out this wait ever, and if if you see my car, you know it's true. And if you don't, it's been a lie all these years.
Speaker 1: All these years.
Speaker 7: This is we're going to bust the right now and this we're pitching this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So we're pitching this on zoom putching this.
Speaker 2: On zoom on on like a Monday after like we're like kind of hungover from the weekend and like pitching this there and and and it's a it's Jason's on and uh yeah and Mike, uh you know, sometimes we got like, you know, my friends I think are sort of, you know, quite funny. You know, Jason is quite funny. I think like, like Jason is the closest thing to Cartman that exists in the world.
Speaker 9: And we have a joke going like he's butters in our apartment.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So and my friend Mike's prettly funny too. So so we.
Speaker 2: We come in like like just like guns blazing, guns blazing with with like ideas and and we didn't realize like, actually, you know, that's not how it works and and and that's that's that's normally like actress and and they just get told what to do and like, oh, well, you mean we can't just like do funny things that we thought of.
Speaker 6: What they're they're watching this and on the zoom they're a gast pitch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's silence. Like so I'm like and I'm like and I was like, is this thing working is this mute is all.
Speaker 7: My gone, and they're like, we hear you.
Speaker 2: And then and then after a long silence, like Mike, Mike just says the word crickets and they're.
Speaker 13: Not They're gonna not even gonna chuckle.
Speaker 1: What's going on?
Speaker 7: Explains the punchline.
Speaker 1: Which is exactly. So there's more to it.
Speaker 13: Okay, that's just the beginning, Soon says, so so then I'm so now I'm like so so so I said like I'm gonna, I'm gonna reach down.
Speaker 1: Into my and in my.
Speaker 2: Fans and I stuck my hand on my fants and I'm gonna and I'm and I'm gonna pull my talk and.
Speaker 1: I tell this to the audience, and the audience is gonna be like what.
Speaker 2: Right, and and and and then and then and then and then I pull out a baby rooster, you know, yes, and it's like, okay, this is kind of PG.
Speaker 1: You know, it's like that that bad that.
Speaker 2: This is my tiny cock and and and it's like what do you think? Uh?
Speaker 1: And do you think it's a nice colock? I mean I like it pitch like.
Speaker 12: And then Kate McKennon walks out exactly and I'm like, oh no, but you haven't heard half of it. To Kate McKinnon comes out, yeah, and she says, Elon, she has expected you would have a bigger cock.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like I don't mean to just want you, Kate, but yeah, but I hope you like it anyway. And then but Kate's got to come out with with with her cat. Okay, so you see what you see where this is going? And I say, nice, Wow, that's that's a that's a that's a nice see you got there? Okay, wow, that's amazing. It looks a little wet. Was it raining outside? Then do you mind if I stroke your pussy?
Speaker 1: Is that cool?
Speaker 2: It's like, oh no, Elon, actually can I hold your cock? Of course, Kate, you will hold my cock, and then you know, we exchange and I think just the audio version of this is pretty good, and you know it's just like, wow, I really like stroking your cock. And I was like, I'm really enjoying stroke at your pussy of course.
Speaker 1: And yeah, so you know they're.
Speaker 9: Looking at us like, oh my god, what have we done inviting these lunatics on the program.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then they said they said, like, well it is it is Mother's day.
Speaker 9: It's Mother's saying we might not want to go with this.
Speaker 2: One of mom's an audience, and I'm like, well, that's a good point. Fair, it might be a bit uncomfortable for all the moms and the audience.
Speaker 1: Maybe I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 7: Maybe they'll dig it.
Speaker 1: They like it.
Speaker 7: So, yeah, that was that's the that's the that's the that's the cold open. That didn't make it.
Speaker 6: We didn't get that on the air, but uh we did fight for Doge, yes, and we got Doge.
Speaker 2: I mean there's a bunch of things that I said that we're just not on the script, like they have these like cue cards we're just supposed to say, and I just didn't say it.
Speaker 1: I just went off off the rails. Yeah, yeah, it's live.
Speaker 7: Well that's live.
Speaker 6: And uh so the Elon wanted to do Doge. This is the other one, and he wanted to do Doge on late night and he says, hey, Jake, al can you make sure.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I want to.
Speaker 2: I want to do the Doge father, like to redo the you know that scene from the Godfather.
Speaker 1: I mean, you kind of need the music to cue things up.
Speaker 5: You bring me on my daughter's wedding, but you want to exactly, you really got to set the mood to get out of tuxedo and this whole sort of office in the like Molon Brondo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you'll calm to me all day of my daughters to the wedding.
Speaker 1: And you asked me for your private keys? Are you even a friend? You call me the door father?
Speaker 2: So best potential.
Speaker 7: They had great potential.
Speaker 6: So they come to me and I'm I'm talking to Colin and Joe, who's got a great sense of human he's amazing, who loves you loan And he's like, we can't do it because of the law and stuff like that, and the law and liability.
Speaker 7: So I said it's okay.
Speaker 6: Elon called Comcast and he put in an offer and they.
Speaker 7: Just accepted it. We just bought NBC, so it's fine. Yeah, Colin Joe just looks at me. It's so good and he's like, you're you're serious.
Speaker 14: I'm like, yeah, we own NBC now, and he's like, okay, well that kind of changes things, doesn't And I'm like, absolutely, where a go on, doge And then he's like, you're fucking with me.
Speaker 9: It was the greatest week of that, like is like two of ten stories. Yeah, we'll see the other eight, but it was, and I was just so happy for you to see you have a great week of just joy and fun and letting go because you were launching rockets, You're dealing with so much. To have those moments, to share them and just laugh, it was just so great.
Speaker 7: More of those moments. I think we gotta we gotta get you back on SNL.
Speaker 9: Who wants them back on SNL one more time? All right, ladies and gentlemen, our best eat you on mus