Speaker 1: This show is produced and hosted by Mark Webber. The show is sponsored by G three Aparo.
Speaker 2: The views expressed in the following program are those of the sponsor and not necessarily the opinion of seven tenor or iHeartMedia. Who is Mark Weber. He's a self made business executive here to help you find your success from the New York City projects to the Avenue Montaigne in Paris. His global success story in the luxury world of fashion is inspirational.
Speaker 1: He's gone from clerk to CEO twice.
Speaker 2: Mark is classic proof that the American dream is alive. And well, here's your host of Always in Fashion, Mark Weber.
Speaker 1: Mark Weber.
Speaker 3: I can't accept not trying drives me crazy words matter, apathy, fancy word, simple word speaks, volumes, lack of interest, enthusiasm. We'll concern. Alternatively, there's another word that I like right now that fits in. And the word is no. An amazing word. You ever consider that no is a complete sentence. No. You don't know anyone in an explanation. It is what it is. Think about it. No is no. I can live with no. I find it a great word, an exciting word, a challenge word. But we have a right to know if yes me. It was left out of the Declaration of Independence, life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. It should also have said in the Right to say No. There's a difference of not caring and caring, a big difference, and I could deal with either. However, what I can't accept is not trying. Oh, I get it, I've heard it all. Oh I don't care. But what does that mean? Does it represent Ah, it's rebellious, it's independence, it's arrogance. And then, of course, my favorite, you're confusing me with someone who gets it's not my problem, not my problem, not my job. I don't care, Leave me alone. But then you have to consider life and the do cares versus I don't care, the doers, the losers, the ambitious versus the lazy, the character or a lack thereof. I have a responsibility to my family, my friends, my company, to the world. But more importantly than anything else, I have responsibility to myself. That's what caring is about. Now nowhere will we promise anything in this world. We start out with a nasty slap in the butt when we're born. In life goes on from there, growing up, school, relationship, sports, reading, writing, jobs, money, a life partner. Everything's not easy. Actually, nothing worthwhile in life is easy, but that's life. We need to work our way through. We need to navigate and negotiate our existence. Nothing's easy. The world's gotten more complicated. There's fake news. Then there's make up your own facts, make up your own rules, break the rules. Technology is helping everything and helping us to become more reliant on it, And at the same time we're becoming a to our devices. We're spoiled, but we still need and make demands. I want it when I want it. We don't need it, but we want it. Nothing gets done with one phone call anymore. Not one text or email ever works anymore. It's so important, so disappointing it to get and try and get things done, and we must. I can deal with whatever nonsense I must. I just can't accept not trying. I just can't accept people working in the service sector not trying. I just can't stand robots who aren't trying properly. I can't stand anything. And with that as a backdrop, I want to go tonight to the art of trying. From no dys from not to doing life, business, whatever, it is. You cannot accept not trying now someone who I know very well, who always is putting in that best effort to get things done. My lawyer, my co host, my son Weber. Anything making you crazy this week? Jesse?
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, it is. Can we talk about tariffs? Let me tell you.
Speaker 3: Something right out of the box, huh.
Speaker 4: I have to tell you this is the biggest story that is taking not just the media world but all of us by storm. You know you have been a chief cheerleader for the Donald Trump administration. Okay, this is one I don't quite understand. And I tell you, the responses we're getting from the White House and Republicans doesn't reassure us. I can't tell whether or not this is still being used as a negotiating tool that is only going to be temporarily used, or really they believe this is in the best interest of the country as a way to spur innovation in the American market and bring jobs back here and buy American maid when that may take several years to actually go into work. When it seems all we're doing is creating trade wars with their allies and Americans are they're a cost of living is going to go up and people are freaking out. I need you somebody who's not a politician, Somebody is not a mediahead, not a political pundit, somebody who knows business, knows the economy, knows finance. Explain to me any silver lining, any benefit of this idea of tariffs, because all that I can see with the markets going crazy is this is a disaster and there's pot that Trump is going to implode his presidency by doing this. Can you tell me I'm not to jump off the ledge right now?
Speaker 3: Wow, that's quite a responsibility of putting on my shoulders. I do understand. I think where we are right now, and let's get into it a moment. Now, you're the lawyer. Do you know under what trade position the government has for him to enable all of these tariffs.
Speaker 4: Like, what's the legal ability for it? I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: Well, let me stop by teaching you. Okay, it's under the auspices of national security in any way that it's jeopardizing the national security of the United States. The president has the ability to step in and levy tariffs on anyone in anywhere he wants, So let's just put that off to his side. And I would say to you that the first thing we have to consider is COVID. Do you remember what we learned during COVID.
Speaker 4: That the world can be go from one to eighty in a second, and that we didn't know what was going on and we were all based on misinformation. No, I guess that the world could shut down. The world can shut down in a second.
Speaker 3: No, I guess what I'm referring to is the issue of tariffs. And that's where we want to begin this conversation by saying to you, during COVID, we learned that we couldn't provide antibiotics to our country, that all the antibiotics needed in this country are imported. So therefore, if we were at war, we were the country that didn't want to supply us antibiotics anymore. We get sick and die. So it was learned in COVID, and the discussions became more rigorous that there are many things that we don't have that we need and why because our executives and our politicians allowed us to outsource these categories in the want of simplicity, lower prices, and without having the headaches of manufacturing these things. It's crazy to find out that we can't control our own destiny. Now, having said it, take a moment to think how important computers are. My WiFi went down to my house. I talked about a little while I was lost darkness. I was in the Middle Ages. All the chips are being made in Taiwan. We used to be the chip maker of the world Silicon Valley. Besides ideas, we were manufacturers. We made everything. We no longer do we let it become outsourced. So I would say to you those two things alone. But being that the name of the show is always in fashion, if we didn't import fashion clothes, we'd all be walking around naked. There's not enough capacity in the United States to put clothes on all our people. So the first thing you'll have to say is that during the period of COVID, we learned that we're no longer prepared as a country. And Donald Trump and everyone else tried to get back into manufacturing those things that are essential to the United States. We're not there yet. And if if we deployed tariffs in order to build industry back here or to courage those people advisor all these companies we have here to manufacture these things in the United States to protect national security, directly, I'd applaud it. I think it's the right thing to do, and I think America would understand. And if we had to subsidize these industries because they couldn't even make money making and manufacturing antibiotics, then I would think it'd be a good idea to take some of that money. Then Elon Musk, thank god, Elon Musk, is finding it and use it to supplement whatever is needed to make drugs, to make clothes, to make chips. So that's where I start. Then the question how am I doing so far? Jess are you following?
Speaker 4: Well, well I do, But when is I get where you're going with that? I get it? But how again, do you think that tariffs right now are going to create fix that problem in the immediate future, in the next five years? I get, I'm going, I'm going okay, okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 3: I wanted to take the broad view and say those things because every tariff that's being deployed right now is under the auspices of national security. Okay, putting taxes on shoes is not national security. So I wanted to put that in perspective. If in fact, by leveraging these taxes by forcing Taiwan or any of these outside bakers or helping us drug makers to make those essentials that we need as a country. I'm imploding and agreeing with taxation, whether this is the best way to do it. There are other people who need to tell us that. Now, having said that, here's the second part of all of this. I'd like to believe that those people in Washington who are advising the President to levy taxes on all these people understand the issue of unintended consequences. This is something we've talked about before. You've mentioned it. I think recently one of the shows picture a body of water. You're standing there and you throw a pebble in the water. The minute of the pebble hits the water, it starts making ripples. But at the same time the pebble disappears, but the ripples go on and on and on. The question is raising taxes have we thought through the ripples? Have we thought to what we're really creating here? And I'll give you an example. I can tell you uncategorically right now that all the taxes that are being levied on shoes and foot wear from people overseas, on all the apparel products and T shirts and sweaters and suits is crazy because we do not have the capacity to make those things here now if you really want to do it, and I wouldn't support it because we're a we're not a low wage country. I'd rather see our workers making automobiles where we can afford to pay them fifteen or twenty dollars an hour, not seven dollars an hour. I want to see industries like chip making or phone making where we can play American people because our standard of living is better than the rest of the world. What we pay them in a minimum wage, what we pay for all the necessary side effects, what do we call them? Government additives, Medicare, social Security, healthcare, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. These things cost money, and the apparel sector does not have the ability to support this. I was in the shirt business twenty years ago. A designer shirt out the door would sell at twenty five ninety nine. If you ask me right now what a designer shirt would sell out the door. Out the door means on sale, it's twenty five ninety nine. There is no inflation, there's no room to take it up. The parel sector has always been limited except to the greats. If you want to be Dior, you want to be Fendi, or you want to be any of these great luxury compans, they can sell it whatever they want. So why are we protecting everything across the board? And I'm going there right now. There are three things that I think the president. Well, before I go, Jesse, you want to ask me a question? Am I doing?
Speaker 1: Okay for you?
Speaker 4: So just so we all are clear, you think this is a good thing.
Speaker 3: No, I just said it doesn't make sense in.
Speaker 4: Apparel, Okay, Okay, keep going.
Speaker 3: First of all, there's a trade imbalance. Okay, So if you want to levy tariffs because of a trade imbalance, I think I understand it. If I'm buying five hundred billion dollars from Indonesia to import goods, I would like Indonesia to buy five hundred billion dollars worth of goods from US. I've talked about this ad infinitem. There's a question that comes. We are a huge country, We're a wealthy country. We could afford to buy tons and tons of products five hundred billion from Indonesia. One country, Indonesia, while it's very populous, it's a poorer country. They might not have the ability to buy five hundred billion dollars a year from US. So the question is, has anybody looked at how much they're buying and asked does it make sense? Has anyone sat down with the government in Indonesia and said, we have a trade imbalance, and here are those things that we think you should buy from us, And before we le taxes on them, give them a chance to say, I'm looking at your lists on here. You have buses. You know I've been making my own buses or I've been buying my own buses from Korea. So before you level a tax on Indonesia because of trade imbalance, somebody really has to look at the numbers and see if they're realistic. Then present them with a plan and saying this is what we want from you, and way after they have a chance to study the plan, they come back and say yes or no. And if you're not happy and you understand either that they can do what we want or they can't, then you determine whether he's a tariff. So I'm worried about unintended consequences in that regard. When you talk to the first issue trade and balance, let me.
Speaker 4: Cas stop you right there. Sure do you think that this is Trump calling the bluff? I'm really going to do this. You know I'm not messing around.
Speaker 3: So you want to go to the end.
Speaker 4: You don't want the details, I will reserve all my questions for the No.
Speaker 3: I just think trying to make a pointy of tariff thing. So the first was trade and balance we talked about. Then Donald Trump is talking about reciprocal. Reciprocal is if you tax me on my exports to you, if you're making those products I'm shipping to you more expensive in your country because you're putting a tax on it, then I'm going to do it to you. Now before we go there, Jesse, if I wanted to buy white shirts made of cotton from China or any country in the world, do I import them here free of charge, no taxes?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 4: What it was that because you have to pay a duty?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Why? Because because we're already protecting our local industries. If you want to buy white cotton shirts and men's dress shirts, nineteen point seven percent duty is already on those products. If you want to buy mostly synthetic yoga pants for women, there's a forty nine percent tax rate. So we are already taxing. But the question is when you look at the reciprocal taxes, and I have it here, you look at these other countries. While we're imposing now with China, overall discount of reciprocal tariff, China is at sixty seven percent across the board, and we're only a thirty four percent. In the case of European Union, they're taxing us at thirty nine percent. We're only taxing them average twenty percent. In the case of Vietnam, which is an alternative now to China for production, they're taxing our products at ninety percent, while we with a new tax level is only at forty six. So if you deal with the subject of reciprocal tax there is a specific message there. Reduce the taxes that you're forcing American makers to have on products that you import in your country unfairly. We want to be able to compete fairly. So either reduce it, make it meet what we're doing, or we're going to tax you and tax you in tax and that goes under the law, not of an unintended consequences. That goes under the law. The only argument I want to be in is when the other person has an indefensal position. They can't support it. Those people can't support that. We used to try and do business in Brazil. You know what the tax on American products shipped to Brazil was at the time two hundred percent. So if I wanted to sell them sweaters or dress shirts made at van Us, they would put a two hundred percent duty on it. Why they wanted all the manufacturing for their products made in their own country. So this idea of reciprocal trade agreements is real, and Donald Trump is right. He was right on trade and balance and he's now right on reciprocal The question remains unintended consequences. This is going to raise all our prices in the United States like crazy. Now, before I go to that, I want to make a point. Did they sit down with Vietnam, Did they sit down with China? Did they sit down with the European Union and said, before I raise all my taxes on you twenty five percent, which is still less than you're charging me, I want you to look at what you're doing, and I want you to lower your trade restrictions on our government products. I don't want to be at a disadvantage. I want your consumers. I want your people making decisions to be able to buy my product. Even Steven with what you're doing, I don't know if they did that. There are a lot of countries that hasn't been a lot of time, and it really really bothers me. So I've already given you a bit of a plan. And the third part, the one I thought about that I know nobody else has said. Why I am a genius sitting here right now. And if you know Donald Trump or you know Donald Trump Junior, or anyone in government, somebody allder to call them and give them this idea. Let me ask you a question. I facture more automobiles here, and Donald Trump and his team are talking about the long game. What is the long game in putting up a manufacturing facility? How long are they actually making here?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Is there any way to do it faster? It's yours?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know the problem I have with the long game. Do you remember when Biden was justifying the support of the Ukraine at the war with Russia, whether it was right or wrong at the time. Do you remember what he said about gasoline?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 4: Ah, you don't.
Speaker 3: What he said was that we're going to it for a time. Have hardship because the price of oil is going to go up. I last look at the pump. I buy high test gasoline for the cars I drive. When I was under Donald Trump's presidency in twenty sixteen, guess was less than two fifty a gallon. It's still for a gallon all these years later. So do we have time and patience for the long game? I worry about this now. I bring you back to the question. Is there any way to make automobiles for High and Die without waiting three hundred years, three years, five years, ten years for them to put up a plan?
Speaker 4: No, I don't see it. I don't get it.
Speaker 3: Now I'm going to give you the genius of my plan. All right, private label?
Speaker 4: What do you mean private label?
Speaker 3: There's a big part of this world that's called private label. Rather than put up a factory and wait for all of that to come, here's an answer. High and Hi should come to the United States and say to General Motors, I make this truck, I make this suv, I make this car. I want you and your General Motors facility to make this for me. One hundred percent of my production is made in Korea. We're a Korean company, but because it's important to you. I want you to make twenty five percent of my automobiles for me, not with your GM nabel. I will give you orders, I will give you tech packs. I will give you everything you need to do to manufacture the same exact vehicles I am. And inside. We'll put a label manufacture joint venture between High and die in General Motors, and let's just make automobiles for them, and we will keep our own factories running. They'll land manufacturing lines. We have all the people, we have factories that are in place. We could get that up and running instantaneously. They give us the patents for the chassis, They give us the supply so they can supply the parts they're currently supplying. We can make our own and we will be making those cars overnight. We don't have to wait three and five years. We're making it with their brand for them. This happens all the time. Every time you see a pair of eyeglasses, it's licensed to an eyewear company. You're seeing Dior, Fendi, all these designer brands. Calvin Klein name it with designer sunglasses that are made by other peer it's private label. They're renting the brand let's buy and make products for them to get this trade and balance going in our favor. You need airplanes, we'll make your Korean airplanes with your name on them for you. Doesn't have to be put up a plant that it can be immediate. Now, you asked me an important question. Can we afford this what's going on right? Absolutely not. It's wrecking havoc with everyone. It's affecting every industry. Everyone is plotting to figure out how they can afford this or not. For this, there are people talking about canceling contracts, rethinking their things. Retailers don't know where to go. As I said to you twenty five years ago when I was in the shirt business, t shirts with nine to ninety nine, a men's cotton T shirt to wear, you know, under your shirt nine ninety nine. Twenty five years later, it's still nine ninety nine. There is no ability to raise prices in these commodity items. Therefore, what are we protecting this? You United States?
Speaker 1: Nothing?
Speaker 3: So we should stop and look at what it makes sense to manufacture here as the fourth part of this deal and not tax those people. So, to make a long story short, the title of tonight's show is I can't accept not trying. I applaud Trump for what he's doing. What I am scared, terrified and wondering is what is the plan? Is there a voice of reason of explaining the issues the way I'm explaining to you, are we looking at it country by country, item by item. The three or four things that I outline for you that need to be done, trade and balance, reciprocal tariffs, and a plan that we can make in a manufacturer here immediately to supply other things, not just our brands and our products. I bet you, if you really put your mind to it, American GM could make Ferraris. Look they made the movie Ferrari versus Ford. Ford could probably make Ferraris in a joint venture. Give us the tech packs, tell us what the details are, what you need to be made. We'll make some for you. Do you know that all of BMW's SUVs and made in the United States already? So I know there's reasons I think Trump trying to bring back industry here. Okay, on those essentials that are really national security oriented immediately, please.
Speaker 4: You're talking like medicines.
Speaker 3: Yes, military uniforms. Do we make allur military uniforms here? I don't even know anymore. Are all our jets and boats and planes and all the things we need for war, are they all made here? Or we're buying parts from pumpturees that we don't trust. Somebody needs to think this all through. This is wrecking havoc right now with the economy. It's wrecking havoc with the stock market, with the consumers. Nobody knows what to think. I'm talking to people in industry and they're all panic. They're talking about people going out of business, they're talking about not being able to sustain it. They're talking about some big companies, we'll have to do it. When will they interlam in it? But they're going to have to because they can't eat these price increases. The question is is it being thought out? And I hope I was giving you a clear example. Now I take your questions.
Speaker 4: This was a good idea for you about the comment.
Speaker 3: Do you believe in the Republican Party and the people that Trump has brought into.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I don't know. I hear them on the circuits in the last twelve hours. They don't even know how much the tariffs are that are being implemented right now. They just keeped. When asked questions about how much the American people are going to fuel, They're like, oh, this is going to be good for the Americans in the long run, They're not it does it. You're not getting a straight answer, So I don't know what it's going to be like.
Speaker 3: So that's psychobabble to put it in another way, and I am concerned that they have not thought through the plan of action. I don't think they had enough time. I don't think they could have implemented properly. I thought they could have been one on one discussions with countries before anything happened. I as a negotiate it as a guy who used to travel overseas and negotiated prices, were always impressed with the other side knowing what they had to do in order to sell me. You know, if I walked in and I was working for TJ Max and I wanted to buy white shirts, the suppliers across the table knew what price they'd had to offer me. When I came in representing van Ues and accountn client, I paid more than TJ Max. It didn't matter that I had all the information I knew more than TJ Max would ever know about making a shirt. I knew at every operation cost to manufacture. I knew what the fabric court, I knew what the utilization of the fabric. I knew everything there was to know, and I knew exactly everything. Nobody would train their buyers. TJ Max was more interested in being a retailer than a sourcing person like I was. Didn't matter though they knew I could pay more, They made me pay more. These people across the cities, they're not dumb, they're brilliant. All of this information is there if someone would take the time to ask the questions. The way it's being initiated and implemented looks to be a disaster of massive proportions. Now back to your earliest question, is Trump using this as a Machiavelian scheme to negotiate? Maybe? I hope so, because this shouldn't be the way it is. There's a way in a rationale.
Speaker 4: Do you think that he was advised that the stock markets across the world are going to tank? There's going to be uncertainty. He is going to get blowback. You have to imagine in any decision they give the counter argument. They can't just say this is going to be great. This is going to be great. They have to say what the realistic outcomes are going to be at a short term and long term level.
Speaker 3: Right I hope they're not surprised with the outcome of what's going on right now. I thought Trump did a great yah ya rah ross speech the other day and make America great again, and you know we're back. I forgot what he called it, independence, stay or whatever it was. It was great. The question is does he understand Do they understand, as they said, the unintended consequence you lay twenty five thirty percent increase in taxes on parrel products or shoes, prices are going to go up dramatically. And what I hate to see happening is the money that we make from saving through doge, making taxes off of overtime or tips or whatever. Increasing social security isn't getting eaten up. That the supposable income might go up, but it's causing less. They're seeing less money because everything else costs more. I don't feel good about it right now, to make a long story short, because I don't have enough details. This seems to me to be an unforced eerrar, what's an unforced era? Just to be clear, two guys are playing tennis in the US Open. One hits an easy shot to the other guy, and the other guy tries to do something and hits the net. In a million years his lifetime, he's hit a million shots like that easily over the net, and here hits the net for a reason, made a mistake. It was an unforced eerror. Trump presidency came in unbelievable. The world was happy, not just this country. Everybody was crazed excited about change and the idea that he would deliver it. He was the messiah. This is an unforced error with three months into his presidency and now everybody less than three months and everybody's wondering whether it's the biggest disaster in the history of the world. So this whole thing about tariffs needs to be explained again, needs to be thought out. I have my fingers crossed. I have my hopes that somebody understands how to really implement it and go back to Vietnam, or to China or to Rusher any of these other countries that we have a trade in balance, that we have the need for reciprocal tariffs. You can't tell me. I can't ship you shirts into your country because you're going to put a tariff on it for me, and then you want me to let you ship here without a cost.
Speaker 1: No way.
Speaker 3: So he's right, and I plawed him because he's trying, and I can't scept anyone not trying back in a moment.
Speaker 1: Always in fashion, I.
Speaker 3: Spent a lifetime of my career building the van Usen brand, and I am so pleased that they're back with us now talking about suits. Men were dressing up again and it's become cool to wear a suit. Suits can be won on multiplcasions in multiple ways. You could wear a suit formally to go out at night or to an event, to wear a suit to the office with or without a tie. If you look closely, now fashion trends, suits are being worn with turtlenecks or mack next, the choices are endless and every one of them looks right. You could really really look the part. I believe that packaging yourself this is important. Does the products you package and wearing a suit is one of those things that make men look their best. Venues In invented a new idea. It's called the cool flex suit. It's been engineered with stretched technology giving you the most comfortable fit and mobility. Its wrinkle resistant fabric, it's cool moisture wiki. It makes it perfect for all occasions. As we discussed just now, this new style of looking sharp while feeling cool and comfortable is amazing and I'm so excited that the ven using company is involved in this new technology and is embracing the whole idea of dressing up. Let's not forget venues and made it's name with dresser. It's only proper that the suit business follows strongly in its way. You can find van Us and cool Flex men's stretch suits at jcpenny or online at jcpenny dot com. Guys, they're great, you should go look at them. Donna Karen began her career as one of the finest, most successful, powerful women in the fashion industry. She developed a collection aimed at the luxury market for women on the go, women who were powerful in their workplace, women who had lives that extended beyond the workplace, and her clothes went from day and to night. An extraordinary collection. But the interesting thing Donna Karen had a young daughter, and she had friends and they couldn't afford to buy the Donna Karon Collection and Donna invented DKNY Donna Aaron, New York. It's an offshoot of the Donna Karen collection. The same concept a lifestyle brand. Now we talk about lifestyle brands, what does that really mean? Simply what they say, there are brands that follow you throughout your lifestyle. You get up in the morning, you start to get dressed Donna Karen dcan why as intimate apparel, as hosiery, as all those products. You're getting dressed for work. You get accessorized shoes, handbags, and it takes you through the day. The remarkable thing about DK and Y clothes for work, they work into the evening. The dresses, the suits, the pants, the sweaters, the blouses, extraordinary clothes at affordable prices that go from day in tonight. Part of your lifestyle is active. You have weekends, you have events, you participate in sports. Donna Karen's casual clothes did that under the dkn Y label. A vast array of casual sportswear that make women look great as they navigate their busy lives. Whether you going to soccer games for your children or whether you're going out to the movies, whatever, you want to do, dcn y Jeans, dcay Hy sportswear is there for you. That's what a lifestyle brand is. And I need to mentioned DKY Activewear, which is extraordinary, the leggings, the sports bras, the sweats. You can wear DKY Activewear, certainly in the gym, certainly when you're working out at home, and certainly if you want on the street, because it's that well done. The quality of dk why is nothing short of exceptional. And why shouldn't it be because it was born from the idea of luxury made affordable for women of America. DK and Why a true lifestyle brand that takes you from day and tonight, from the week into the weekend. DCN Why You can find DCN Why and Macy's DKY dot com.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to it Always in fashion. Here's your host, Mark Webber.
Speaker 3: I can't accept not trying. We all make millions of mistakes. I make millions of mistakes. I do things that I'm sorry I did. I say things the minute they come out of my mouth. I wish I could take them back, but I can't. But I applaud myself for always trying to be the best I can. I believe wholeheartedly that good is the enemy of great. I want to be great. I take the time to talk, I take the time to be with people. I take the time to think things through. I want to think them through. I don't want to be surprised. I want to be great, so I'll do things. I'll be aggressive, I'll be initiative. But I can't accept people not try, which brings me to this week. I've had a couple of examples of things that drove me crazy because facing me across the table of the desk with people that didn't care. They weren't using their brains, they could care less. So I got this crazy stuff. Jesse, I know you're busy. You have to leave for something else before I tell the story I do.
Speaker 4: I have to head out, But I'm glad now I don't feel as terrible about tariffs. I have a different idea about it. I think that was worthwhile. That was a long first segment that you did on and I hope everybody got a chance to listen to that.
Speaker 3: Well you got me inspired. What can I tell you I can't help?
Speaker 4: Well, there you go, have a good rest of the show, and I'll see you next time.
Speaker 3: I guess you'll have to listen to the rest on podcasts, Apple Spotify, iHeart okay, all right, by yes, all right, Sony Wway. I was talking this week. I had a crazy week. I have a story to tell. I had family staying over in my house this week and one of the people my cousin got sick is a dog. Sick is a dog. We didn't know what it was. It could have been a stomach virus. Choosing my words carefully, but I guess they were throwing up crazy bed and they were able to get a hold of their doctor who was willing to prescribe a prescription for them to deal with the nausea and help settle the stomach. And the doctor called CVS for the prescription. So the first thing I did is I got in the car and drove to CVS. Now, before I go there, I have to tell you that I had used Dwayne Read before Out of the Blue. Out of the Blue got a letter last week telling me that Dwayne Read in my area was closing, and they told me that all my prescriptions were going to CVS. I found that fantastical. I couldn't believe that Dwayne Reid, who has no affiliation with CVS. Was giving away my account to CVS when Walgreens is nearby. They owned Walgreens' own CVS. I didn't understand why that happened. I'm still not happy about it, and I will work my way over to Walgreens and I will work my way over to another. Dwayne read to find out why they don't give a hoot about my business, talk about I can't accept not trying anyway. I go to CVS. First thing I find out when I get there the doctor didn't prescribe the prescription. So my cousin called back and found out that the first prescription went to New York City where they live, rather than my local CVS and did work, so it had to be prescribed again. So I went back. The prescription was filled. I got it heads up that you can go in. I go to the store and I get in there and it's a nice store. It's in my area, it's local. I thought it made sense. I didn't pick the one they prescribed to me. I picked a different CVS because this one I knew and I felt comfortable there. I walk in there, two people working, one receptionist in the drug area and the other is a pharmacist filling prescriptions, and I said, I have prescription here. I gave the name and he looked it up and he said, nice guy. He looked it up and he said, uh, yes, we have it. I'm sorry about before, but the doctor came back and it's here. Now we have it. So it was like eleven o'clock in the morning. He said, we'll be ready at two o'clock. I said, wait a minute, I'm here. Now person I'm with is sick, then nauseous to throwing out. I can't come back at two o'clock. Well, we're busy. There's only two of us here, myself and the pharmacist. I said, I get it, but I'm the only one standing here. Just listen. Rules are rules, I said, there's no rule. He said, well, you have to talk to the pharmacist. So I walk over to the pharmacist. I said to the pharmacist, I have this prescription. I know you heard me talking to the other guy, which is while I'm busy, I'm doing other things. Now I'm losing it. I said, now listen to me. With all due respect, I wish I was a pharmacist. You must be brilliant the things you do save lives. I think you're great, But I'm standing here representing someone who's sick in my house right now, throwing up nauseous, doctor prescribed medicine, and you're telling me you're too busy to fill it. Here's the deal. I'm standing here. I'm the only one in the store. Whoever's prescription you're working on right now is not here. They're not going to pick it up now. They can come back five minutes, ten minutes, whenever it is, they're not here.
Speaker 1: I'm here.
Speaker 3: How could you not fill the prescription. I don't care how busy you are. No one is here waiting to fill and pick up their prescription, So please fill my prescription. She looked at me, hated me, hated me. She could shoot me through the eyes boom, but she filled it twenty five minutes later. I appreciate it. I took it back. It helped my cousin. But that's frustrating. I can't accept people not trying. I don't care there was only two people there. I don't care that she was the only pharmacist. I don't care that she was busy. I don't care that she had a backlog and prescriptions. All I care about is I had an urgent issue right now, and nobody was standing there waiting to pick up the prescriptions. So if she took ten or fifteen minutes to actually satisfy someone in giving a caring thought to it, I would have been Okay. I don't know how you guys feel about that. You know, I wish that was the only thing that bugged me last week. Then oh my god, cablevision, my internet, my telephone, and my TV all of them went dark. Nothing not a black not even black screens, no anything zero. So what did I do? I looked up a cable vision and they said, would you like to have a chat with someone online? Still not clear those online chats are humans, but I think they were. I started to explain what's going on. Took me a while to get through. I started to explain, you have a Q ten minutes, but we'll do our best. And you know, I sat there and waited five minutes, and then I said, are you're still there? You are fourth in the queue? Now I was seventh, Okay, I waited another five minutes. You're third in the queue. And I kept doing that and finally I got to the front of the line and someone what can we do to help you? I said, everything is down in my house. I know there was an outage yesterday, but I've been told there's no longer an outage. Can you tell me what's going on? Just a minute? She types, Well, he there is an outage in your era? Really, because I was told the outage was clear up, there's still an outage. Well, how will I get an answer when the outage will be fixed. We'll write you, we'll text you, we'll call you. I had to go out. I came back an hour later, nothing, called back, chatted again, same story, this time, there's no outage, but nothing in my house is working. Let me check, let me check, let me check. We can't explain. We have to look into it. I'll try and send you a signal. I said, you can send me a signal, but the problem is I have no power. The other units everything's power. I have no problem with electricity. I just have those things that you're involved in. This goes on three times, from eight o'clock in the morning when I woke up and saw that I wasn't getting any service, to now it's four o'clock and I'm really well. Let me be honest. And now it's one o'clock and I'm really nervous. You know, when you're dark in your house, I think you don't realize how reliant you are on Wi Fi. You don't realize how important it is to all those things you need to do. They've made us addicted. I have no choice. I'm in trouble here. This happened to me once before. I had to go hang out in the library and hang out in restaurants to get my mail and to get those things that I need to read clear and fast or whatever. Finally I call them up. Nothing's going on. Finally I call up Cable Vision and after a series of misstarts, what's your problem, I've talked to you this this is Finally I asked for an agent, and they, finally, after awake, put me through to an agent. Agent read the file, told me the same things I did with the chat. I said, we're not getting anywhere, and you put me with a technician. Said, oh, technician, sure, I can't accept not trying. I wouldn't give up, but why wouldn't you offer me A technician got on the phone with technician. Took thirty minutes for him to decide or to realize it appeared that there was nothing wrong anymore with an outage in my neighborhood. It could be localized to my own line. That he felt it would be important to send someone to my house to look at it. One hour later, two o'clock, an agent shows up. A guy's name was Nick, great guy energy. You had that shine in his eyes that said I'm going to get something done for you. And sure enough he came in and note he first he checked the outside power and the power from cablevision to the house was working. Came in my house, walked downstairs, looked at my units. I have a lot of TVs. I'm more like a broadcast studio because I am in the business, but I have a lot of rooms, a lot of TVs came down blacked out. All the stuff that's associated with me is blacked out. And he said, I don't know what to do about this. But he'd gotten back in the unit, started playing around and realized that there was a blow out. There must have been a surge that killed a bunch of things. And over the course of the next day half hour, we added some extension cords, put some more plugs into the extension cords and he fixed everything, including two units of the house that i'ven't worked for six months because I was lazy. So cablevision very frustrating. Some of you can't accept you're not trying. Some of you were brilliant and they fixed me. And with that as a backdrop, I'm grateful. But ladies and gentlemen, please, whatever sector you're in, whether you're working for the Motor Vehicle Bureau of Starbucks, please care enough. Try back in a moment.
Speaker 1: Always in fashion done to.
Speaker 3: Karen began her career as one of the finest, most successful, powerful women in the fashion industry. She developed a collection aimed at the luxury mar market for women on the go, women who were powerful in their workplace, women who had lives that extended beyond the workplace, and her clothes went from day and tonight. An extraordinary collection. But the interesting thing Donna Karen had a young daughter, and she had friends and they couldn't afford to buy the Donna Karen Collection, and Donna invented dk NY Donna Aaron, New York. It's an offshoot of the Donna Karen Collection, the same concept, a lifestyle brand. Then we talk about lifestyle brands, What does that really mean? Simply what they say, there are brands that follow you throughout your lifestyle. You get up in the morning, you start to get dressed Donna Karen Decan Why as intimate apparel, as hosiery, as all those products. You're getting dressed for work. You get accessorized shoes, handbags, and it takes you through the day. The remarkable thing about dk andy clothes for work, they work into the evening. The dresses, the suits, the pants, the sweaters, the blouses. Extraordinary clothes at affordable prices that go from day in tonight. Part of your lifestyle is active. You have weekends, you have events, you participate in sports. Donna Karen's casual clothes did that under the dk and Y label. A vast array of casual sportswear that make women look great as they navigate their busy lives. Whether you're going to soccer games for your children or whether you're going out to the movies, whatever you want to do, DK and Y Jenes dk and Y sportswear is there for you. That's what a lifestyle brand is. I need to mention dky active Wear, which is extraordinary. The leggings, the sports bras, the sweats. You can wear DKY active wear, certainly in the gym, certainly when you're working out at home, and certainly if you want on the street, because it's that well done. The quality of dk why is nothing short of exceptional and why shouldn't it be because it was born from the idea of luxury made affordable for women America. DK and Why a true lifestyle brand that takes you from day and tonight, from the week into the weekend. DCN Why You can find DCNHY and Macy's DKY dot com. As one of the world's most celebrated fashion designers, Carl Lagafeld was renowned for his aspirational and cutting edge approach to style. His unique vision of Parisian shit comes to America through car Lagofeld Paris. He has women's collections, men's collections, ready to wear, accessory, shoes and bags. The fashion house Carlagofeld also offers a range of watches, I wear and premium fragrances. You can explore the car lagofl collection at Carl Lagofelparis dot com. But it's more than that, I have for one love to shop. I love going around and seeing what's happening and what catches my attention, what would make me feel good to wear now. I don't wear the women's wear obviously, but I can appreciate it, and they look amazing. If you want to look right, you want to have clothes that fit you well. You want to look like you're wearing something that's very expensive, that's exclusive for you and yours. You can find it at very affordable prices at Macy's Orcarlagofel dot com Paris. The women's ready to wear fashion is extraordinary, as well as the handbigs and the shoes. I, for one, wear men's clothes unlike my appreciation of women's clothes. I'm a modern guy. I want to look current. I want to look the way I want to feel. I go out at night, I'm in black and Carlagafelt is my buddy. Clothes are great, they fit great, and they have little tweaks and touches, whether it's a stripe on the sleeve or button at the neck or on the shoulder. There's a lot of details that go into Carlagafel because he's always been he always had been one of the world's great designers, and this legacy and goes on and on. I can't speak enough about it except to say to you, you want to feel good about yourself. You want to know that you're dressing properly. You want to clothes that fits you well. Carl lagafeld Paris at Macy's orcarligofel dot.
Speaker 2: Com, welcome back to it always in fashion.
Speaker 1: Here's your host, Mark Webber.
Speaker 3: I can't accept not trying. This has been a week that is trying for so much. So many of us are watching what's going on in the world. I can't help but wonder why people don't put the best forward. Having said that, I want to talk about global warming for a minute because it's bothering me. It bothers me that half the world believes in global warming and half the world doesn't believe in global warming. One of them's right. I'd like to err on the side of caution and say, maybe the people worried about global warming are right. If this was Star Trek, the world would be united in the Federation, and the Federation's council would decide, let's fix global warming.
Speaker 1: But we're not.
Speaker 3: We're individual countries all over the world. One hundred and sixty countries. I don't know. Everyone has a different opinion, and getting everyone on the same table has been very difficult, more practical than worrying at the moment about the oceans running over into the streets. And let's not forget Sandy. When we had that storm and the water came over the East River and started flooding buildings and basements in New York City. That was scary stuff. So I'm scared of the water. I have a home on the water. I am constantly in fear of that happening. And maybe it will, and I hope the powers to be are smart enough to figure out what it is we should be doing about goble warning, get everyone on the same page, not giving anyone chance to wait till two thousand and sixty or twenty fifty or thirty five. I'm worried about it. But I was a young guy. I always had a unique position on things, and I remember starting to read about all this stuff. What was healthy, what was not? I said at the time, you know, if we would all stop eating, drinking, and breathing, I think we'd live forever. And it was a stupid comment, but at the same time, it turns out it's true. If we'd stop eating, drinking, and breathing, we'd have no problems. Now, let's add on Bluetooth and all those waves going through our heads and Wi Fi and all the waves going through our heads and bodies. A lot of stuff is interfering. And that's what I'm worried about right now. Electric cars. We've decided that the future of automobiles and transportation is electric cars, and yet there's no honest dialogue about the amount of energy fueled energy that it takes to make batteries, to make steel, to make all the parts that make the cars. And the question is are we more energy neutral making electric cars than gas powered cars? I just wonder. I don't know enough to know about it, and I'm worried recycling. I know for a fact my neighborhoods don't have recycling cans anymore. I don't see the yellow ones I always see whatever people have. Are we still doing it? Is it working? We're losing that battle too. And then there's the bags in foodtown. I blame Schumer for that. I don't know whether I'm right or wrong. I don't know how many states in the country force people to buy bags. You want to talk about unforced errors and taxes? Why is it? Why is it that the consumer has to buy their own bags? Why aren't the stores providing bags? I go to food down, I have four hundred things. If I don't buy bag, I can't. I can't get it out of that. I've done it. I've walked in by mistake, and I refuse to buy those stupid bags. I have enough of it already. I'm under the auspices. So I don't mind spending money, I hate wasting it. How many bags do I need from Fresh Direct when I go to the grocery store. I should have them with me in the back of my car. I guess that's the answer. But I don't believe this is helping anyone. I just think it's weird what's going on. Then the paper straws, if there is ever anything, they made absolutely no sense at all. By the time you use the straw to drink your drink, the stores melt. What's that about? Is it helping or hurting? I don't know. And then Robert F. Kennedy has come along. He's such a fanatic, he really cares. You want to talk about a guy who's really trying. That's the guy who can't accept not trying. He's trying to get us smart and see what's going on? Red dye? Before I got a red dye? Do you know there are three thousand products in our country that are allowed. We're in Europe and the EU you only three hundred of them are allowed. And things that we eat and drink. Everybody who's drinking bottled water for a safer life. That turns out, all these years later, all the containers that we were carrying that water, all those plis plustic containers, are poisoning us. How could that be? What's going on? Red dye? Everything has red dye in it, eminem peanuts, all your candies, all your breakfast cereals, all your everything is red dye. And now we're agreeing, after all this time, it's gonna kill us. All the other ingredients in food, processed meats. When did it become that all that stuff we buy to survive, you know, reprocessed turkey, am whatever it is, can kill us. Then they tell us which vegetables are safe and which aren't, how much protein we have and how much we don't. I am freaking out. I don't know whether we know what can be done. And everybody's still reacting to Robert F. Kennedy bringing up these things. It seems like he knows what he's doing. He hasn't missed a beat yet. I suppose the vaccine stuff with him is getting him a little bit on the side of Elon Musk where nobody likes him. But the reality is he's bringing up a lot of things to save us. So I applaud Robert F.
Speaker 1: Kennedy.
Speaker 3: I think in government we have to be intellectually honest. Now I could read you a list of the politicians that I can't look at, can't listen to, can't stand, don't want to know anything about. Hope they're never around. I hope they don't run for office again. I am not interested, But I also know there are some that are worth their while and they really care. They just don't talk. They can't accept not trying. And that is what I wanted to talk about to night. I hope you enjoyed. I hope you learned something, and I hope I calmed down from what looks to be a trade war that isn't well thought out. Would that in mind? Good night, talk to you next week,