Speaker 1: I had a chance to catch up with Kirby Yates after he was officially announced a Dodger, and here was our conversation at Dodgers Stadium. Thanks a lot for the time. And does it feel real putting on this jersey? Now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a little I would say surreal probably a better word, but yeah, it's this cool. You know, this is going to be exciting and this is gonna be awesome.
Speaker 1: When you look at what the Dodgers have done this offseason, during this entire process, if all things were equal, was this an easy choice?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean, look, I kind of scoured the market. I don't think I made it exactly easy for them, but look all in all, you know to come here and uh so one, you know, they were pretty persistent in wanting to sign me all off season, which I appreciate and too to just for them to target me, and how active they've been all off season with you know, the people that they've brought in and me being one of them. I mean, you know, yeah, how could you not say this?
Speaker 1: You've been part of bullpens where you're the guy and everybody's leaning on you for high leverage outs. When you look at this bullpen the way it's constructed, do you feel like the sum is greater than the parts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean to mean, it doesn't matter. They can still lean on me if they want, you know, but this is you know, a very very talented group and there's you know, kind of endless options on what you can do. You know in certain times that games are going to be really short for the other team, and you know in other times, you know, we have pretty good starting rotation also, so you know, I think the combination of both are is just going to really work out well.
Speaker 1: When Kirbyate's was watching the postseason, I would imagine you were watch some of it.
Speaker 2: Some of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you realize that Dodgers only had two and a half starting pitchers, went to bullpen games multiple times in multiple series. You're going to be teammates with those guys. They were known as the dogs. Are you ready to be inducted into a bullpen that identifies as that type of ferocious competitor?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely, It's gotta be fun to take part in that. Yeah, they were some of those guys are really impressive, but trying, very very impressive. I mean, he's always been impressive. I think it's just you know, he'd kind of put it on full display in the World Series and the playoffs and all the other guys. I think, you know, Evan Phillips is kind of forgotten guy right now, and he's been pretty good at the past and you know, so like I said, I mean, it's as deep as you could probably have really a bullpen in the league, and so you know, be a part of that. It's very exciting.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Blake Tryning. You're both in the same demographic, so maybe you have a guy down there, just one guy and Blake Tryning that can relate to your TV shows, your movies, and maybe your music. I'm not sure about his music.
Speaker 2: Taste, Dad jokes. Yeah, I mean, like he's been around for a while, he's been nasty for a while. So yeah, you know, I had my partner last year that was dera old guys, So I tend to lightly use that word just because you know, I know I'm getting older. I just don't want to believe it. It's gonna be hard to believe that. I'm probably I think I am the oldest one on the team now, so finally made it. But yeah, it's gonna most experienced Kirby. There you go, There you go. It's gonna be a lot of fun. You know. I've heard nothing but good things about the guys as humans too, so I think that's the biggest thing. And you know, pitching aside, we have to hang out with each other all the time, so that's one of the things that I'm kind of looking forward to before.
Speaker 1: I let you go. I've always been a big fan of Kirby Yates split fingered fastball when I was growing up in the eighties. Roger Craig, the manager of the Giants, former Dodger pitcher, he was the godfather of the split fingered fastball. It seemed like to go out of vogue, but you've kept it alive. Do you feel like the split fingered fastball might have a comeback since Kirby Yates is continuing to persevere and endure.
Speaker 2: I revived my career kind of change to the path of my career. So and you kind of look around in the league. There's a lot more guys that are throwing them now. So I think that pitch is seriously I don't think it's going anywhere. Guys are learning it and it's uh, you know, usually when I about five six years ago when I started throwing it. You know, there was only a few that threw that pitch. And now you look around, there's a lot of guys that throw it.
Speaker 1: Before I let you go as well, you got some muscle over here. I mean two suits that are monitoring everything that I say, who do you got with you?
Speaker 2: It's my bodyguards. That's my agents.
Speaker 1: Oh agents slash bodyguards, very intimidating agents. No wonder the Dodgers signed you. They got a good deal. I bet they pounded the desk a few times.
Speaker 2: He got it done. I don't know what he did. I won't tell anybody though, but he got it done.
Speaker 1: Beverly Hills Sports Council, don't let the city name fool you. They're tough.
Speaker 2: That's a model for you. Got to use that right on. Thank you.