Speaker 1: You're listening to an air wave media podcast.
Speaker 2: Right of allheaded.
Speaker 3: A right A, thank you, off.
Speaker 4: I do being off.
Speaker 5: I wanned all level.
Speaker 3: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 4: A giant hairy creature in Part eight party mat in Luckness, a twenty four mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland. It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 3: Mornstert All, Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith, and today with doctor Karen Stolesno and Ben Radford, we'll be tackling the issue with video hoaxing. First, we'll be discussing the context of Internet video hoaxes, and then we'll be talking to Lou Petho, the man whose video was ripped off to build.
Speaker 5: The famous Mammoth hoax.
Speaker 3: And after that we have a bonus interview with Alan Melick Janion, better known by millions as Captain Disillusion. He'll be walking us through how such hoaxes are made. This episode will also have some interesting links in the show notes, including my own frame by frame matchup which proves that the Mammoth video did indeed derive directly from Beetho's source material, and we'll also be talking about the Iceland worm and how it differs from the mammoth hoax. We've got a lot to cover, so let's get going with some morbster. We've had a lot of really interesting video monster news in the past couple of weeks. So one story that we're going to be doing I guess the majority of this episode on is this mammoth in Siberia. But there's also another story about a mysterious ice serpent that Both these stories are Internet videos that have gone viral, and both of them, Ben, you've written articles on and found solutions for really quickly.
Speaker 5: So I think we have a lot of interesting things to chat about.
Speaker 6: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Why has it been such a spite of these of light I don't know.
Speaker 5: And why are they all ice related.
Speaker 2: Time of year?
Speaker 6: I guess that must be I mean, actually it's interesting because, as you pointed out, I mean there's a lot of similarities. Both of them were you know, in icy conditions in water. One was in Iceland, in eastern Iceland. I'm not even going to try and pronounce the name of the lake, and the other one, of course, was in Siberia. One of them was much fuzzier than the other one because as we as we now know, it was digitally dizzily digitally fuzzified. But the other one, I don't think was yes exactly, I mean, let's.
Speaker 5: Not fill the whole thing up with the right exactly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly the insider tech jargon fuzzified. But no, it was. It was interesting, I mean, just from my perspective, how both of these turned out, because you know, initially I had written pieces on both of them, sort of independently, and to be honest, i'd kind of not ignored, but I just hadn't gotten around to the whole ice the Iceland lake, Monter or river, whatever the hell it was. It had been around for about a week, and I was just really pisical other things. I didn't get a chance to do it, and then finally I was asked to do it by by news organization, so I dropped everything I did. But what was interesting was that what with both of them. Of course, one of the first things was, well, is is it real? Is it a hoax? Whatever else? And of course they were. They were hoax theories on all sides. But I think you know that these two are a very interesting pairing when you look more closely at the videos and you you know, what happened and how did it happen and how did these things come up? And we can talk some about that now because I think it's again we've got a lot of feedback, as you pointed out, from the monster Talk community, uh, on Facebook and elsewhere, so it's a it was kind of neat to sort of see how each of them played out in their own way.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, as well, as you noted on the Facebook page, that it's it's really great that these were tackled so quickly and that solutions and explanations were found. Otherwise they would really be relegated to FOLCAL very quickly and no one would ever uh be able to explain them, and they just go on and on and on. So it was good to really nail them so quickly.
Speaker 6: It's it, you know, it's a double edged sort. I mean, you know, in some ways, the uh, the the internet, you know, of course, it's we have a proliferation of of these these videos and these you know, is it a big foot, these blob squatches and here and there. So on one hand, of course that the Internet has has really promulgated and you know, made it much easier to get these things out there and fooling people. On the flip side, of course, we also have there's much more there's much more capacity for immediately addressing these things and bringing analysis and criticism. So which was which was? Which is? Which? Is kind of good because again, a lot of times, you know, in my experience, these things just fade away. I mean, I can you know, I can think of dozens and dozens of you know, of videos of you know, the Lake Champlain monster or a blob squad somewhere or whatever else that you know, makes a big hubbub, and then after a week or two it fades away and there's really no no final conclusion or really solid analysis. And it was nice to sort of be able to put a period at the end of both of these.
Speaker 1: If any of the Internet was around in nineteen sixty six.
Speaker 6: Hey, right, exactly.
Speaker 3: I think it's interesting to kind of talk about how there's there's several big differences between these these two incidents. I'm not sure what we should call them. Let's call them incidents for now.
Speaker 2: Hoxes.
Speaker 3: Well, Well, that's the point, right, That's exactly the first point I wanted to get to the the I really wish I could pronounce the name of this thing, but I'm just going to call it the ice snake.
Speaker 5: So the video shows.
Speaker 6: Blake, I believe you're referring to the log art flowstorm.
Speaker 7: Bless you, Floats or Mrran.
Speaker 1: You could just fix this in post.
Speaker 6: Call it, call it the ice icelandic worm. How's that?
Speaker 5: I think?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 3: I think I think our friends, uh this was we have listeners everywhere, but I think our friends in Iceland are probably.
Speaker 5: Laughing at us.
Speaker 6: Really it's okay, Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I think I also tore something in my tongue just now.
Speaker 6: So any Yes, you were talking the Iceland worm.
Speaker 3: Right, the Iceland worm. We call the Iceland river worm.
Speaker 5: Anyway.
Speaker 3: The point is that the Iceland river worm video was popularized after the person who saw the thing in the river videoed it and then turned it over to the local news as an interesting video, right, and then it became sort of a monster what's the right word here. It became another one of those encryptid reports that all of our favorite websites picked up and carried, but it was never I guess specifically claimed by the guy who videoed it that he had seen the monster, he saw something unusual in the water. But the mammoth video was promoted as being a wooly mammoth crossing a river in Siberia, that the person who videoed it actually had seen a mammoth crossing the river, which is a fairly big difference.
Speaker 6: Well, I think I was gonna say. One important thing to understand is that, for the most part, when when the public sees these videos, the immediate assumption is that that, however it's being presented to them at the time, is how it was presented to the journalist or to the blogger or whoever it was. And so if they say, you know, you know this is allegedly you know, this was shot by someone who says it's bigfoot, and what what, there's a lot of times there's nuances in there where what you find is that is that that's not quite true, and that certainly was the case with the the Iceland worm. Was that uh, And as you pointed out, you know the guy that that actually shot it, it's important to realize that he didn't. His end of the story didn't come out for several weeks when when when the first when the video first hit the internet, and I think it was probably, as I recall it, it probably appeared in one of the British tabloids, because they just create this stuff out, you know, like like sausage. But but when when it first appeared there we there was no backstory. It was just basically, hey, here's this, here's this, this this river monster in Iceland.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 6: And then after I think a week or two, there was some follow up and then someone actually talked to the guy and got a quote, and that's when it sort of came out that he himself, as you point out, and never really claimed that, and other people had sort of put the label on that. And I that that process by which people labeled monsters has always really interested me. And the first time that I really noticed that was with the Champ Monster in Lake Champlain because if you look at the most famous photo photo of Champ and really of any lake monster in the world, the one taken by Sandra Manson in nineteen seventy seven. It appears in all sorts of cryptosology books and mystery books and unexplained books. As you know, a photo of Champ, the local lake monster. But when I interviewed missus Mancy and when I did more research on it, it turns out that, in fact, she never claimed it was well, she eventually claimed it was Champ. But at first she just said I saw something weird. She never said it must be you know, the local lake monster. She never said it must be Champ. She just said, hey, here's this weird thing. And it wasn't until later on when cryptozoologists came in and basically put a label on her experience and on her photograph, and in a very real way they told her what she saw. In the end, I argue, and I've argued in my books that they were wrong in our interpretation. But of course she in her mind, these were the experts. You know, these are cryptozoologists, They've written books on these things, they know these things, and so she was happy to accept their explanation because she sort of felt like, well, you know, these are scientists, these are experts. They know more about this than I do. I'm just somebody who happened to be there and see it and photograph it. And anyways, it's interesting because this actually happens fairly frequently in these in these lake monster sightings, where again as with the Iceland worm, the first person isn't necessarily the person that's labeling it. It's just sort of something weird, and of course something will weird quickly translates into monster.
Speaker 1: And then conversely you've got with the person Gimlin footage, they were actually in search of Bigfoot at the time, and then that's what they find.
Speaker 3: Exactly in this particular case with the with the Siberian Mammoth video, it's it's really unclear what the backstory was supposed to be. The guy who brought the video to us, Michael Cohen has been involved in bringing all sorts of videos in other hoaxes and claims to the public. So he was involved in I think we you know, as we talked about when we talked to low Petho, has a series of hoaxes he's been involved with, or at least what appears to be hoaxes too.
Speaker 6: Right, we should probably qualify that not all of them have been proven hoaxes, but they're certainly highly dubious.
Speaker 3: Well, let's say two of them, in particular, this one and then the Chicken alien from I think it was April of.
Speaker 5: Last year, and then what I think was pretty clearly.
Speaker 3: Also a hoax is the video he did of a supposed alien behind some Brazilian school kids. That looks pretty phony to me. But again the question is not well, I guess the question is did Cohen do these hoaxes? Or is he just a promoter of hoaxes. I don't know the answer to that, But what I think should be clear is that if any news story comes from Michael Cohen, it should be treated as extremely unlikely to be true, like very suspect. I mean the whole whole idea that you know, he's he's become like a pet Barnum or a yeah.
Speaker 2: I was going to say yeah, or.
Speaker 5: Tom Biscardi.
Speaker 2: Them all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a person who who's whose content is extremely dubious. I would not trust it. I don't think our listeners would trust it. And I'm surprised, well, you know, I'm not surprised. We'll get to that too. It's like, I want to talk about why the Sun would put this onto their paper, because that's also kind of an interesting matter.
Speaker 1: They're a tabloid exactly well, American listeners would be familiar with the Sun as a British tabloid, but you know, page three goals and the lot.
Speaker 3: Well, and then those are respectable I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Comparatively.
Speaker 5: Yeah, those aren't fake, you see, that's all?
Speaker 2: Well they are?
Speaker 3: Hey now so so right, there's the other thing. It's like, what the Sun's responsibility in this manner? I mean, I think they ought to, you know, be more reputable, but it's not. It's not their job to be reputable, I guess, considering.
Speaker 5: They've given up on that a long time ago.
Speaker 3: I mean, they have a reputation as I mean, are they suitable for holding fried fish? Well?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, look, I think that there's an element to this where, you know, part it's it's a valid question asked, did anybody was anybody really fooled by this? I mean it's it's easy to sort of say, well, look, you know it got it got five million hits on YouTube. All these people believe it, not necessarily just because people are watching it or forwarding it or commenting on it. You know, it doesn't mean people are buying it. A lot of them are skeptics and and things like that. So I think I think that it's easy to sort of unintentionally exaggerate the number of people that were really you know, fooled or baffled by it. And and you know when you when you look at and again, part of that that credibility goes to word first appeared. And you know when something first appears in the tabloids, just like you know the National Inquirer, which I think is now online, only you know ten years ago, if something appeared in the Inquirer, every now and then, you know something is true. I mean, the Inquiry has actually broken important news stories like for example, I think they broke Jimmy Swaggert being caught with a hooker and a copy of Hustler, which I was I just love. But so the point is that you know that even every now and then, even they can come up with a real story. But for the most part, people know what they're getting. And the same thing with the Sun and especially when you when you when you look at it from from a skeptical point of view and you realize, you know, this is all anonymous. This is you know, a government employed engineer, really somebody, and this is all shot last summer. I don't believe for a second that some Russian government engineer saw a wooly mammoth last summer and didn't say anything about it for six months, I just just don't buy it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, the Sun, I think they were going to replace News of the World with a Sunday edition.
Speaker 2: If that says anything about.
Speaker 5: Them, it doesn't. What does that mean, Well.
Speaker 2: They we're going to replace another tabloid.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, okay. So you know, my familiar with British tabloids is very limited. I do know that the Sun is I think the Sun and the Daily Mail. You know, they have been responsible for so many wasted hours for.
Speaker 6: Me, especially the Page three girls, right, I can't get to.
Speaker 5: That at work.
Speaker 2: And the Tory politicians in lingerie.
Speaker 5: I guess my point is the Yeah, so that's a dubious thing. But here's what I found really interesting.
Speaker 3: A lot of the times when photos and videos appear in the Sun, people I mean, I assume other listeners have the same thing. They want to figure it out themselves. They want to say, well, is that a real thing to be curious about or is that just crap? Or is that a reflection in a window? Is that digitally enhanced? Is it something you know? Is it a real thing? And in this particular case, it was fascinating to me, I mean absolutely fascinating to me, less the video, but more how the skeptic community split up on the whole thing, and like the most if there had been an Internet poll, by far, the clear winner would have been this was actually a bear with a fish, right? And I found that really interesting because I saw that there were elements that implied digital trickery. And this was before the actual source video came out. And so we're gonna have inserted into this episode some really good explanations for how this stuff was done. But everybody was so sure it was a bear with a fish because of this really interesting reason. They said to themselves Occam's razor, which makes more sense? Is it a bear with a fish? Or is it a Willie mammoth?
Speaker 5: But the other option of maybe there's nothing there at all, taking which.
Speaker 3: Is really the null hypothesis, I mean literally, then all hypothesis didn't come through. It was like, why would somebody take the time to digitally insert something when they could just take a natural phenomena and put it in there. And I think we'll address all those questions in the two interviews. But that's that's that's really an interesting thing, because maybe they were asking the wrong question or maybe they asked the right question to begin with, is it a hoax or not? Yes, as a hoax, and then they played through I don't know.
Speaker 6: Right well, I was gonna say in the original piece that I wrote about that I basically I gave three possible possible theories on it. The first one was that it was it's an outright pox, that it was you know, it's a computer generated elephant or mammoth that was digitally inserted into the photo and you know, and just you know, end of story. And then the second hypothesis that I gave was was the one that you mentioned, which is the the bear with a big fish in its mouth. And then the third one was sort of a combination of the two, that it was it was a bear with the with the a fish in his mouth, but it was also faked, and that is that is it wasn't It wasn't that the photographer uh didn't recognize it or you know, was like, oh my god, you know I did. I just sort of you see this for example, and in a lot of ghost photos where someone they take a photo and then days later, weeks later whenever they develop it, Oh my god, I didn't see that at the time, well you know, got a wooing mammoth there, like the theory exactly exactly, and so so that was it was interesting to me to sort of parse it out and where it was, you know, it could have been. It wasn't a mistake, you know, it wasn't you know, it wasn't an authentic you know photo of a bear and a fish, and yet it was still faked. And of course, as it turned out, the first explanation was was the right one, but it was. It was really fascinating to sort of, as you pointed out, to sort of see you know, where people came down on it, and people really got pretty passionate about it. If you were getting pissed off about no, no, no, if you're you're an idiot looking you can see the fish like, well okay.
Speaker 5: But but I was gonna say, go ahead, Kiern.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say, I think it's a good lesson for skeptics to not be too hasty and to stay open minded.
Speaker 3: I agree, And I think one of the things that I found interesting was how many biologists I saw involved in this discussion on various forums and in our Facebook group and just all over the place. Talking about whether or not there was useful information there. Could you tell if it was a bear or if it was an elephant or a mammoth and our mammoth model, and there's this field of study called elementrics where you compare the ratio of body part sizes to each other and you get these numbers which helps you identify with the species is you know.
Speaker 5: And it's you know because in this case you don't have the.
Speaker 3: Ability to look at the skull or the bones or the DNA or anything like that, and it's very blurry. But there that can take you somewhere that can kind of help you figure out to some extent if it's really a bear or I mean, even if you can't tell for sure if it's a real bear or a digital bear, or is it a mammoth? In this case, I suspect and again the I think the interviews will cover this, but I suspect it's probably an elephant model, but it could have been it could have been a bear model. It really doesn't matter because it's been digitally changed in shape so that it wouldn't fit with anything.
Speaker 5: Really, I mean, it's not it's not it's.
Speaker 3: Somebody moved it around cut off its legs and did a few things to it to make it work.
Speaker 5: So whether that be with live video or whether it was done with a model.
Speaker 6: It's kind of irrelevant, because I mean, the point is it's faked, and it was intentionally faked. This is not exactly this is not this is not an accidental hoax. And again sort of we can sort of compare back to the the the Iceland worm that was, as it turns out, I would argue, not a hoax at all. It was you know, it was legitimate video. Yeah, it's all interpretation. So that's that's where you have the contrast there. And let me just just for a second, let me touch quickly on the on on the the media aspect, because I think that's one one part that really interested me. Is is again because it did appear in a tabloid, The Sun, I had comments, not necessarily directors of me, but just I saw comments like, well, this is the Sun, what do you expect? This is ridiculous? Why you bother and recover it? And there's there's a certain truth to that because there's a there's a sort of a laundering effect in which, uh, you know, a story we picked up by somewhat disreputable or or should we say, less than reliable sources. But but then, but then as the story gets more esteem, uh, at that point, it then becomes the story in itself. And so you so reputable sources like myself ended up end up sort of reporting not just on the story, not not just on the original video, but the story behind the story, that the fact that it was becoming a story. And so, you know, to to people who would say, well, you know, this is also stupid. You know you can't believe anything. Uh, you know that, you know, why did you bother investigating this?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 6: I think that's that's the wrong way to look at it, because because even though I and you and probably many people were not fooled in the least, I'm sure some people were and and and uh and even if they weren't, there's value in investigating the things, these things and trying to figure out, what you know, getting to the bottom of them. And it doesn't do any good to sort of take the sort of high handed, dismissive approach like well this is this is too stupid or this is too silly. It's not necessarily and uh, and there there's value in in in doing these things and doing these investigations, because again a lot of times if there isn't this sort of skeptical investigation, there's no there's no conclusion to it. I mean you just you know age for that one, you know, Bigfoot video. Yeah, no one ever, you know, no one ever really proved or disproved it. It's just just sort of out there lingering in the wilderness or in the chrystosological wilderness, like like debris. And so that's why exactly, So that's why it's good sort of be able to to you know, to to you know, to get get a bite on it and uh and and analyze it.
Speaker 10: These The simple truth is if you don't squash hoaxes like a bug, I mean just completely squashed them, then they will keep being reborn again and again and again.
Speaker 3: In the in the in the paranormal literature, just like the we there's so many of these things that that they're not real, or they're misinterpreted, or there's just a fake story for a real thing, and that becomes the big story. And when you figure out what's really going on, you can't get that story out. So I'm excited that we're having the opportunity to sort of take this, analyze it, and get a sort of more timely episode of Monster Talk out to kind of talk about how this went down, because well, well that's not an interesting show for TV. Right.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess the question is has this bug been squashed then, because if there was, we're arguments amongst the skeptical community about this. I wonder if there'll be arguments outside of the community. I mean, obviously people are still going to be questioning it.
Speaker 3: I think, you know, we may never know what the source material was, what is that animated item that's been placed onto this real video. But what we do know is that the original video just showed water, and that whatever was placed on there was deliberately blurred and motion was added to the video to make it seem like it was a live encounter versus just a static shot. So all that can I mean, all that tells us that whatever they're showing there wasn't really there. I mean, that's that's I think extremely well demonstrated.
Speaker 2: But the affix general probably.
Speaker 3: Hard to say, right. I Mean, there may people like, let's take the the thing in the river, the the Iceland worm, It's it's not a real animal. It's it's something. It's not even moving. I mean, it's not even making any forward or reverse motion in the water. It's really waving back and forth. But because the way the guys shot the video, it appears to be moving. Uh, and it appears to be making progress, I should say.
Speaker 5: And so there's people still arguing that that's a.
Speaker 3: Real animal out there, but it's uh, yeah, I don't know. That's a good question, Karen, I. I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's a long term thing.
Speaker 3: Mean one thing, you know, our our project to make Monster Talk transcripts. At least the hope is out there that when we can sort of drive up the ability for people to find the answers to questions like this when they search, because right now, when you search, most of your searches are going to hit on there's this mysterious story before exactly the.
Speaker 5: Hoax explanation is just kind of mixed in there.
Speaker 3: This a salt and pepper and what you really want, I think is more of a snow with a few flecks of dirt, right.
Speaker 6: We want to song the well. Actually, let's talk a little bit more about the Iceland word because that was an interesting case in that that was partly solved by a Monster Talk listener, so, which was kind of kind of neat. I mean, the backstory to that. Again, I'd written a piece on that and it was bounced around, and again I had sort of offered a couple of different a couple of different figures, but what it might be, and I pointed out a couple of things about the poor quality of the video and that was actually shot from two different angles and things like that, and I pointed out, I said, look, you know, I said further, Amore, we don't even know if it's it's making any for progress. I'm not, I'm not certainly, I certainly wasn't the first person to question that by any means, but I sort of put that out there, and and one of our Monster Talk listeners UK, her name was Misa. She you know, she posted on on the Monster Talk facebook page that she had done some screen captures and had basically proven that in fact, she used different points of reference and had shown that it was not in fact moving forward, that the tale was moving with the current. And so at that point I'm like, hey, that's pretty good. I think you got it. And so I sort of combined it with something else and I did a follow up story and that was sort of when it when it all sort of you know, blew up and then died down. But it was it was neat to me to to sort of see how amateur you know, investigators, uh, just sort of you know, well informed skeptical people with some knowledge and some you know, some critical thinking can can really contribute to this.
Speaker 3: It was good worm analytics.
Speaker 2: Oh, you've reached your quota of tonight.
Speaker 3: No, I did that.
Speaker 5: That was fantastic. I wanted to do the same thing.
Speaker 3: And as you guys know, my PC rig where I do all my analysis died, so I've actually just bought a new system board for it today. I'm excited to get back in the game. But that was great. I love it when our listeners actually participate.
Speaker 5: That's fun.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it isn't. I love this too. I love how collaborative skeptics can be with this sort of research versus And this may be a misperception of my part, but it seems like the cryptozoology and community in general, and I think this is actually born.
Speaker 5: By the the evidence.
Speaker 3: Like in Brian Reegel's book when he talks about how everybody wants to hoard their knowledge. Nobody wants to share information, and that's that's I think a.
Speaker 5: Pretty big difference between the two communities. So that's kind of fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think a lot of those people are after fame, aren't they, well than anything else, and not so much within our community.
Speaker 2: We're just wanting to solve mysteries.
Speaker 5: That's right. They do it for the chicks.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, it was interesting on on on Doubtful News. On on Sharon Hill's uh blog, she pointed out that what's that yes from friend of the show Sharon No. Uh. She pointed out that that it was interesting that in both these cases, of course, it was the skeptics that that solved it. Uh, it wasn't the the professional cryptozoologists. And I won't name names, but we all know who many of them are. And that's not to discredit them, yes, but but I mean, but there's you know, as we all know, there's sort of top tier. You know, we have the Discardes and and things like that. But by the way, people who who were going out there, and what what Sharon pointed out was that that as is often the case, uh, it's the skeptics who have to go in there. And and and solve the mysteries, and and you would think that, you know, if this is a legitimate science, and if some of the main individuals who are in the field are really doing this sort of investigation and really on top of things, you would think that they would be the ones who are out there exposing hoaxes and getting to the bottom of this. But oddly enough, it often it often seems to fall to the skeptics to do that. And and that's the case over and over again. I mean, whether you're looking at the Lake Champlain, Mancy photo, or you know, any number of other things that Chupicaba for example, there's lots and lots of subjects that you would think that that, you know, the more believer kind, the more believer breed, I guess you would say, if they're really on the ball, and if they're as scientific as they claim to be, they should be out there doing this instead of us.
Speaker 2: A really good point.
Speaker 3: Although I don't want to pat myself on the back too much, I'll go ahead, no, no, I mean, you know, we we like solving mysteries, and we have a lot of the same interests that they do. But I think we have in this case, we had a few advantages over them. So when being that it's way more important to us that we get to the bottom of the truth, then we generate more page views for our site.
Speaker 6: I don't know, good point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that sounds harsh, but I think it is kind of true.
Speaker 6: It is true.
Speaker 3: Yea, it is true.
Speaker 6: I mean that that's I mean, that's that's that's what the three of us do. I mean, we're we're interested in the truth, and we're interested in solving mysteries. And you know, if if it gets hits and if it gets publicity, then that's all well and good. But at the end of the day, Miami interest is solving the damn mystery. Fragrant, what the hell is it? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Well, and that's the other thing.
Speaker 3: I mean, you have to learn where you have to stop when how far can you take this questioning and how far can you go with digging, Like we know this thing in the Siberian River was not a real live animal that was on site. I mean, do you keep going trying to find out if it was really an elephant or or a bear or a mammoth or you just.
Speaker 5: Step back and say, Okay, I don't know specifically what it was, but I know it was a hoax and here's how it was done.
Speaker 3: And I think that's where you have to kind of cut off, because this kind of research can become a rabbit hole that is bottomless, and it can be very frustrating. But I do want to say that while we were talking about Sharon and her site, that you listeners should check out doubtful News doubtfulnews dot com I believe. Let me verify that very quick, because it's a website that she's put together that aggregates this sort of news, but it does so in a very skeptical way.
Speaker 5: So it's a great way to.
Speaker 1: Get that's a great current news.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you can also get it. You can follow them on Twitter and just kind of get very current news.
Speaker 5: It's a great way to get news about.
Speaker 3: The paranormal without having to weed through tons of crazy ads about how you goin. Go to doubtful news dot com, follow them on Twitter. It's a great way to get your news of the unusual with a nice skeptical flavoring.
Speaker 6: There you skeptical sprinkles if it were as it were.
Speaker 5: I don't want to be too hard on those other guys.
Speaker 6: Well, let me just pick up quickly on something you were talking about, because I think you make a really important point about how far do you take this? Because you know there will be people who will I mean probably not in the mammoth case, because it's so obviously faked, but there are people who will say, well, you know, well, where exactly you know which model are you talking about? You know, can you identify the exact program that created that? And and that you also you see this a lot of times. For example that the main example that I think of is the Patterson Gimlin film, where you know, the question is okay, well, okay, where exactly is the costume? Do you have the costume? Let me see the exact costume?
Speaker 3: And why can't you make an exact copy of the video?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 3: Why the film?
Speaker 6: Why can't you duplicate every single last right? And if you and and to too many people, you know, especially on the believer side, if you can't or you don't want to put in the time and effort, and something could be incredibly time consuming to exactly duplicate and in many cases just practically impossible to do.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 6: But but you often see this in the in the video analysis where the believers will say, well, if you well, you know, okay, maybe maybe you proved that it was probably a hoax. But unless you can identify the exact person, the exact time, and you know, you have names and dates and and you know and and toilet paper receipts and you know exactly what they were doing, then then it's not true.
Speaker 3: It isn't that That basically becomes Zeno's skeptical paradox. I mean, it's the whole thing about well, you have to get there's a more and more burden of proof, right that it's not really there, but like you can never reach a full conclusion because you can't make it match exactly.
Speaker 5: I think, yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: But even if you're duplicating a video or a walking style or something like that, it's not to say that you're duplicating before.
Speaker 3: Well, well, and this is actually the same sort of thing Randy has gone through with his history, the Amazing Randy. He doesn't necessarily show you, well, even going back to who did he say? Thing, they don't necessarily show you proof that psychics and mediums are tricksters, but they show you ways that can be You can mundanely reproduce the same effects, which should be enough to make you realize that it can be done without supernatural powers. Therefore, if they're not demonstrating supernatural powers, there's a really good chance that they're faking it.
Speaker 1: And now Brian and Baxter did that with the alien in the window footage.
Speaker 6: Oh that's right, that's right. Yeah, yeah, I forgot about that, which.
Speaker 2: They've been doing again and again of late, peaking.
Speaker 5: In people's windows. That doesn't surprise me.
Speaker 3: Just Brian, we're talking now with Alan Melik Janean Is that right?
Speaker 9: That's right. Wow, I'm surprised. You know, that's a test I have with people. You know, if you can, if you can same my name without stumbling, then I know you're going to be a good friend.
Speaker 5: Good The two hours before him were well spent.
Speaker 3: Then all right, Oh, so we've talked a little bit on Facebook.
Speaker 5: Have you had a chance to look at this so called mammoth video?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm glad you showed it to me, And I mean we kind of spoke in comments on there, but yeah, I wasn't one hundred percent sure what was going on, but I was kind of suspicious as far as the whole bear with fish theory. But it's interesting that it got revealed kind of while it's still hot, while it's still a topic of discussion, like the truth behind it got revealed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I like that.
Speaker 3: So now most people know you as Captain Disillusion, and you have some really great videos and a DVD which will be available in the show notes.
Speaker 5: Thanks, no problem.
Speaker 3: I really like the way you do your reveals because you make them entertaining at the same time as exposing the techniques. So how could somebody be sure that this video was actually faked and that the what they're calling the original video isn't just a if you'll pardon the pun, a truncated version that stops right before an elephant actually does walk out, or a bear with a fish.
Speaker 5: How how can we really know it's a fake?
Speaker 9: Well, I was actually thinking about this because if you've seen the original, well what there's claimed to be the original video by that filmmaker, it's actually a wider shot that's completely still, and the mammoth video looks like a handheld camera and kind of pushes in further into the shot. So what I was actually thinking of doing. I haven't tried this yet, but you could basically take the whole original shot. You know, it's a long it's it lasts like several several minutes, and you can take the mammoth shot, yeah if I meanutes. So you could take the mammoth shot and kind of reverse engineer the motion out of it, you know, track it and stabilize it, kind of like they did with the the Bigfoot video, you know, the famous one and the that's right that one, and also like things like I don't know, the Kennedy assassination, Like all those videos that were captured kind of haphazardly and have been studied for years. They've stabilized them so that, you know, they took out the camera shake and whatever zooming might be going on. You could do the same thing with this Mammoth one, even though it's kind of like really low quality and low resolution, but you can still do it to some extent and then take that line up the features of the you know, the the landscape and everything, lay it on top of the original video and just kind of scroll around, scrub around to find maybe there's a point where all the water and splashes and things kind of line up, like find that same synchronization point between them, and then you can.
Speaker 3: See make me feel really good because I've been trying to do that. That's exactly what I've been trying to do my mac so great, Okay, exactly keep going interrupt.
Speaker 9: Oh no, and so yeah. I mean I literally that. That was kind of the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the video by the documentary guy that's kind of like pissed off right now about the fact that his video was used. Well, I guess it's in his interest to prove very definitively that the video is his, and that would be one way to do it, to kind of just you know, do a perfect side by side where you can sort of point to multiple water splashes and things and show that they're going together. I think if you did that, it would be pretty apparent, like if you did find that matching point.
Speaker 5: I'm going to I'm gonna keep working on that. That's a yeah, I mean I would.
Speaker 9: I would do that as soon as I have some time, but probably somebody will beat me to it, you know, at the pace that I work. I mean, you suggested this video to me, and I thought it would be cool to do an episode, but I didn't even have time to even like start thinking about it already the story progressed.
Speaker 5: It's fun, though, I mean I thought it might be also fun. I found a.
Speaker 3: Three D model for an elephant that looks very close to what's in the video, and but the truck moves a little different. How does that different? Like, if you want to composite, M say composite, What can you tell us what a composite shot is?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 9: I mean, well, in visual effects, I guess you have different fields. You have like animators and CG artists that just make you know, stuff out of nothing, you know, renderings, and you have I guess compositors who are like who take different elements and put it all together. Pretty much any kind of visual effects or animation work has to go through a final stage. It's not really the final stage, but one of the final stages is compositing, putting all the elements together and making sure that they kind of work together. Everything looks seamless if you're trying to make something photo realistic. So that's that's actually an actual feel compositing. And you use the term correctly, so you're good.
Speaker 3: Super and so you have I have very lazily used the term CGI to talk about digital effects and I think from what I gather there, there's a difference now that CGI is now being used specifically for this sort of computer generated modeling and not just for your computer created effects.
Speaker 9: Right, yeah, I guess CGI normally you would just refer to like, yeah, three D models, the animation of those models, and the rendering of the final product. And it doesn't actually, it doesn't even have to be three D basically anything that was made from scratch in a computer LIGHTSABERGI yeah, there you.
Speaker 5: Go, lightsaber effects.
Speaker 3: Right, So in this case, I mean, I don't know if you can tell from looking that's that's one of the real questions I have. Well, and actually it's probably the number one question on the internet is was whatever really is there? I mean, assuming I think, I think we're gonna be able to demonstrate maybe within the next week or so, that whatever took place didn't exist on the original video, that the original video was the you know, in part of that four or five minute segment of water that's just going by. And if that's the case, can you tell from looking at the video whether it's a real animal video that's been inserted like a like an excerpt from another video, or if.
Speaker 5: It's a three D model. It seems like it's so digitally.
Speaker 3: Distorted it's hard to be sure, But I was wondering if there were any signs we could look for that might be giving us a clue there.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, first of all, regarding the quality, that's sort of like a lazy compositor's best friend is to basically, you know, make a composite, put put things together and make it look as realistic as you can. But then if you can't go any further and it still doesn't look right, that's when you kind of take the whole thing and you know, reduce its resolution, add some camera movement, you know, fake camera movement and shaking or things going out of focus to kind of fudge it up and and and that's like when you look at this video, it has that look of a video that has just low enough quality for you to just not be able to make out what the thing is. In a way, that's kind of a giveaway. Of course, it's not a guarantee that you know that it's fake just based on that, but it's it's kind of you get that feeling like just the thing that I want to see the details, that I want to examine are just out of reach, you know, in terms of resolution. That's one thing, like I said, like the matching up now that the real shot is available, matching that up would definitely immediately prove the fact that like that, during that moment, that creature wasn't there, and you know, when people were talking about the you know, whether it's maybe a bear with a fish, which kind of I find kind of an interesting example of paradolia where it wasn't it was paradolia that's resulted from the fact that we were trying to find a more like legitimate explanation and more realistic.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, you're dead on.
Speaker 3: We're going to talk about that in the discussion with Ben and Karen, but we can't say it here too. Okham's razor rightat people want to use Om's racier. What's the what's the most simple explanation that it's a mammoth or that it's a bear walking across the river. Well, but the the other option that it was a digital insert to many people seems like an unlikely explanation, like why would you may go to the trouble.
Speaker 9: Especially because yeah, because because it does look kind of like a bear with a fish. In its mouth. You know, you feel like that's yeah, that's that's so much easier explanation than somebody going into the trouble of putting something in there that could be mistaken for a bear, you know, exactly, Like if you're gonna make a CG elephant you I mean, a mammoth, you might as well do it like in a way that can't be mistaken for something else.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it would make worse sense, I guess.
Speaker 3: But then again, that eeriness of it, uh, you know, or the unusualness of it may have been a factor.
Speaker 5: I don't know. Yeah, I tell you this though.
Speaker 3: Here here's I want to talk about some of the things that I saw as a non expert. I mean, this is really not my feel, but I do a lot of photo analysis and uh and I do a lot of video analysis too, But it's not like you.
Speaker 5: I mean, you're you're much better.
Speaker 3: You do a much better job of showing how it's done, and I just try to like spot the clues that maybe it's fake. So the the first thing that stuck out was that the whole video had a uniform blurriness to it, and and to me, I found that problematic because most modern cameras have some level of auto focus, and and it just seemed unusual to me that even zooming and zooming out, the blurriness never changed at all.
Speaker 9: Right, Yeah, I mean it was more like a blurriness caused by just low resolution. Like if you if you took a video of something and kind of formatted it to be like an old standard def you know, very small even like something like three twenty by two forty kind of resolution, you know, a tiny postage stamp sized video, and then you blow it back up to like a normal resolution of you know, I don't know, h D seven to twenty pixels. That's what you get. You basically get a blurreness just because pixels are kind of just repeated and smooth, doubt to look to not look choppy. That's what they did. But I mean by putting the whatever the object is whatever, that's whether it's a CG elephant or what a CG mammoth or what I think is a piece of stock footage of an elephant, which I kind of we can we can do that in a few seconds. I can we can kind of do ann interactive thing where I can show you where you could find a piece of footage like that, but you know, you put it there in the still shot, and then you take that whole rendering, that whole composite, and you push into it, and just by virtue of doing that, it's already it already has a severely reduced resolution, and that's where the blurringness comes from. So it's really just it's not the camera. It's not something optical that happened when it was filmed. It's something that's that's an artifact of the post production, the way that they messed with the video gotcha.
Speaker 3: And so the other thing, the second thing I noticed, or that I think I noticed, was that the so called handheld motion seemed mechanical to me, like it didn't seem like a natural random handheld. It seemed like it was almost on a track or that it was. It was very mechanical. I don't know how it's described it and it's very subjective, but is it possible to visually tell the difference between computer generated hand motion and and.
Speaker 9: Well, I guess not kind of just by looking at it, because you'd have to know, you know, what kind of lens it was, how far the stuff was, and to what extent it's zoomed in. I wouldn't say that that that that fake camera motion, if it is fake, is done badly because it has kind of this non uniform kind of shaking that you would get from It actually has this like it imitates this effect that some consumer cameras have where they have like a built in stabilizing sort of mechanism to try to keep your shot from from wobbling. But sometimes as you move your hand too much or you know, your your shot, actually you actually try to change your shot, you know, by moving the camera, it sort of it latches onto something and then it kind of has to let go and latch onto something else. So it has this smoothness broken up by sudden little, you know, twitches, and that kind of looks real. So, if anything, I would say it's a pretty decent job on a fake camera motion.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So then maybe in my imagination, I'll have to test that at some point.
Speaker 9: Yeah. But what what is kind of vicious is the fact if you look at the way the camera moves, it has this shaking reminiscent of a handheld camera. But in a in a real handheld camera, there would be this rotation that's kind of like, you know, turning your head to the side, a little bit like a banking rotation, you know, in the on the around the z axis, you know, if you know what I mean. In other words, it would be like a ship, you know, rocking side to side. There isn't really that kind of rotation in the image. It's as if someone was using like a really shaky tripod, you know, like the camera keeps level, but it just moves up and down and left and right. So that's a little bit of you know, that's a potential giveaway that the motion was just added as a as just basically like a little panning and tilt, you know, just just jogging around inside of a cropped image, kind of going up and down, left.
Speaker 3: And right, right, and and that's consistent when I did my I did like a little tempted stabilization.
Speaker 5: It's not perfect.
Speaker 3: It would be really cool if the software I have I'm just using an iMovie, but it won't let me lock you in. There's some rocks on the front right hand side. I really like to lock you in and make those stable and then and then that would be what you.
Speaker 9: Want to do. Is I don't know how the iMovie stabilizing interface. Thing works if you are given an option of using more than one point you want to try to find, like the rocks and then maybe the tree tops when it's like really wide the shot the tree tops.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that would be great, but I don't think it does that unless maybe it's an advanced tool.
Speaker 5: You know, do you have what do you use Final cut pro or something?
Speaker 9: Well, I mean I use an Avid media composer for editing, but for things like this, for compositing stuff, I use Adobe After Effects, which is a very very popular program with everyone for this exact task. But I was going to add because you mentioned the rocks in the foreground, and that reminds me of another thing. When I was first seeing this video, one of the first things I kind of subjectively was perplexed by was the scale of everything, because those rocks, they're basically like pebbles on the beach, these rocks in the foreground, and kind of extrapolating from that looking at the water and then how far the other shore is, I think that this is a pretty small like it's not a very wide river. And I think that if this is an actual if you know, this is supposed to be a mammoth. It's kind of a baby mammoth because it doesn't look like a full grown you know, something that's larger than an elephant to me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's again.
Speaker 5: But yeah, it.
Speaker 3: Would be really cool to know exactly where that was because we could go to Google Earth and then get a kind of better idea of how wide the river is there. So how did you get involved with the video editing in video effects?
Speaker 9: Well, that's just something I mean from childhood, I wanted I was always interested in animation in particular, but I basically just wanted to a filmmaker and tell stories and was always fascinated by the whole you know, film production, technology, anything that's involved in making movies. So I kind of just aimed for that from a young age, and I went to school to study that made little shorts, you know, even as a high schooler. And yeah, I'm still like, I work in the field, but I'm still kind of you know, ended up being so unfocused that I do everything. I basically you know, freelance as in production and in post production, depending on what's needed. And I'm kind of sort of good at all things and maybe not completely genius and amazing at anyone thing.
Speaker 3: You're general it's not it's not a bad way to go. You can always specialize, right if you.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and it's I guess I have the kind of personality where it's hard to just keep doing the same thing all the time. And this is such a rich field, you know. I mean, cinematography is nothing like sitting, you know, doing visual effects or the editing process. So if you kind of do a little bit of everything depending on what part of a project you're involved in, it's kind of fun. It's refreshing because you can always switch gears and hone some other skill.
Speaker 5: Well, how long would you have to go to school to learn how to make a mammoth video like this?
Speaker 9: Well, these days, I don't think you have to go to school. I actually I was going to go to school for things like this, for animation and compositing, but then I decided this is stuff you can really learn from books. There are so many books and nowadays tutorials and stuff on YouTube that you could basically get a free education and all of this stuff if you were really obsessed with it and got your hands on all the software and just kind of looked around and studied from the many many tutorials and stuff you can find. You can learn every skill that's involved in doing a video like this, for sure, especially since I mean, I really don't think that the mammoth, the actual object that they put in was like a siege g rendering.
Speaker 6: At best.
Speaker 9: What they might have done is taken some sort of illustration of a mammoth and just kind of made itmatable enough to do what it's doing in this video, just kind of a sideshot that they you know, kind of split up into pieces and made it almost like a cutout kind of animation. Because it's so blurry and so bland that and half obscured by water that you really don't have to do much. But when I was digging around, actually, if you want to see, if you want to do this little experiment, if you go to iStockphoto dot com and viewers can do this too if they're not driving or something. Icetock Photo is a place where you can buy, you know, pictures and graphics and videos for any kind of multimedia stuff you're working on. If you go in the menu tou video, just the video section, and once you're in video, use the search bar to just type elephant.
Speaker 6: You'll see you'll end up.
Speaker 9: Once you're there, you'll see that you get a bunch of results of a bunch of clips of elephants, you know, in the wild and everything. But one of the first clips, a couple of the first clips, should be this elephant in front of a green screen. It looks like a screen, but yeah, it's actually somebody took some footage and actually rotoscoped the elephant out for your convenience, so you can put him wherever you want. And if you hover over the very first one of those two green screens, you'll see a little preview of the clip playing right, and the elephant is looking at the camera, and then he kind of starts walking to the side, and he eventually takes on a pose that's kind of like what we were seeing in the in the video, you know, he takes a few steps in the same way. Now, of course, I don't know if they used this exact thing, but if I had to recreate this video, this is what I would do to not waste time. I would take this clip. Somebody already mated it. It has a green screen and everything. I would just take the elephant, take those last few seconds of him walking sideways, make a little kind of seamless loop so that I have this and just taking these steps stabilize him so that it would just you know, he'd be exactly where I want him to be the whole time, and maybe like warp him a little, like make his career much lower and smaller so that he takes on that mammoth type of profile. And uh, yeah, once you did that, you just stick him into where you want in the in the shot, like you knows, as we know, the original shot is stable, so you don't even have to do any tracking. It's already like actually, if you see the original shot, it's basically begging to be messed with because it's this perfect sort of almost like a still, except the water as it's running.
Speaker 5: It's yeah, that's actually something I was going to say.
Speaker 3: It looked to me like whatever they did, they didn't get very much of an animation sequence. The animal appears to be making the exact same physical moves over and over again, almost like an animated GIF.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's what made me suspicious about the bear with fish thing, because yeah, maybe it's that, and scale wise, it looked like that, but it was so yeah, like so uniform and kind of very limited in the way that it was moving, Like, no, I don't think any animal would just basically march in this very timed way, you know.
Speaker 3: Well, but again I've been saying it was digital from the get go, just because of my suspicions we talked about and I don't want to gloat or anything, because I really would like to know this specifically if it was an elephant or a bear they used, But it really doesn't matter in one sense. But let me say this, for all those people who thought it was a bear with a fish, I would challenge them to go find a video of a bear who catches a fish that big and then, instead of pulling it back to the bank where.
Speaker 5: He's at, calmly and slowly walks across a river. Right, it seems that's very unnatural behavior to me.
Speaker 9: Yeah, no, no, you're totally right. And especially yeah, I would expect, especially a bear with a fish, with a fish that he just caught that's probably still alive to some extent in his snout, I don't think he would be so docile and the fish wouldn't move in any way you know, basically it does very.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's there's a lot wrong with that, but this, this makes much more sense to me. And again, you know, I had several biologists talking to me about, you know, whether it was a bear or an elephant, and most of them seem to think and again none of them were saying mammoth. But this makes more sense. So it's something you could take this video and digitally just sort of warp the elephant a little bit to make him look more mammoth like.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and I was, I mean, you might not even have to warp him because really, in the final video, what makes him more mammoth like is the fact that like his you know, he's got like supposedly like a kind of fur that that extends down to the legs, you know, unlike on an elephant, so it's kind of you know, you don't really start seeing the legs as high. And the fact that the rear side of his body is kind of lower or the front of him is larger, whichever way you want to call that. But really, because half of him is obscured by the water in this way, you could basically just rotate that elephant shot a little bit, like counterclockwise to kind of end up with that kind of profile. You know, he probably wasn't that lazy whoever made this, But I mean, that would be like, if I had to do it in half an hour, that would be the first thing I would do. I would see if I can just kind of rotate the elephant a little bit to make him resemble that shape more right.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure from watching this video they spent at least an hour doing it.
Speaker 5: It'll be interesting.
Speaker 3: I'm going to try to find out what the actual monetary value was for that cell, because the Sun pays. They pay for these things, and not only did they rip off somebody who shot a real video, but they also.
Speaker 5: You know, made money doing it.
Speaker 9: So I feel sometimes I feel like I'm in the wrong line of work. People are suggesting that I do a fake real video all the time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's tempting.
Speaker 9: No, Yeah, I really have no desire to do that, but I could see how it's lucrative. I mean, just based on the fact that that that news organizations quote unquote news organizations pay for this kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's it's it's it's it's a funny thing to have ethics.
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 9: It's very limiting, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a little bit.
Speaker 3: I would say, a step down morally is always a step up financially. Right there, anything else you want to tell our listeners about this, But.
Speaker 9: What I find funny is that in this situation, the original filmmaker, at least based on the video that he made talking about this stuff, he seems pretty pissed off and kind of poised to potentially, you know, sue this guy or pursue some kind of legal action because he's literally saying, you know, he's interest didn't finding out what his options are, and as the guy who provided the cryptied video, I would be like in the mode of total self defense right now, because you know, no one likes to get sued, So the best thing for him to do would be to come clean, because that, you know, the least of his problems should be, you know, whether or not people believe it's a real video. I would come clean and I would explain, you know, anything could have happened, like if you make a hoax like this, you don't know if it's going to go viral and become huge, but it did, so you know, I would come clean with the guy and just say here's what happened, and yes, these guys bought it. You know, I had to get compensated. But now that we it's sort of it's your footage. I did the effect, So maybe we can work something out wherever. You know that nobody needs to sue anybody. Unfortunately, this guy is not in this position at all, because, as I understand, this is someone who's provided these kind of paranormal or crypted videos on a regular basis. Doesn't doesn't he Yes.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm aware of two. Right off the top of my head.
Speaker 3: He went.
Speaker 5: He did the I think it was last October. He did the.
Speaker 3: There was some Brazilian kids and there was a weird alien kind of popped up in a light in the background, and it all looked very phony, but it became kind of a hot video. And then before that he was evolved in the I think it was back in April or something, he was involved with the chicken alien, where the alien appeared to be laying in the snow and it was actually somebody had taken like a roasted chicken and made it to look like an alien.
Speaker 5: It was brilliant. He's got he's got a long string of these sort of things.
Speaker 3: And the question is, you know, I don't know if he's the hoaxer, or if he's just extremely gullible person who promotes them, but at the point that he's taking cash, his curiosity and skepticism is probably.
Speaker 5: Not in his best interest, right.
Speaker 9: Yeah, absolutely, But yeah, it's it's sort of it's funny because he's someone like that has painted themselves into a corner because they can't even if, yeah, if he knows anything about the origins of this video or whether or not that other guy's footage was used, he can't come clean because that would undermine all his other claims, and it's the whole you know, it's the whole chain reaction. So it's kind of a lesson. I guess for anyone that does this kind of thing and you know, a purposeful hoax and tries to make money off of it, is that you know, it only takes one video, you know, it only takes one problem, and then all of your entire reputation with all of this stuff will unravel.
Speaker 5: So yeah, you'll maybe it is right. But then there's things like Tom Biscardi, who has been.
Speaker 3: Involved in multiple hoaxes and still sells bigfoot videos and has a podcast, has efficiently fans who believe in him.
Speaker 9: I don't know why, Yeah, because I guess it's just that's how the mind works. You can you can discount the ones that got revealed as hoaxes and still believe that, you know, but this other stuff is real. I mean, and I know that's fake.
Speaker 3: But that's the same mentality with people who hoax fake archaeology from the Middle East, you know, right, that's the same you know, well, yeah, he had a few bad items, but.
Speaker 5: Most of them are really good.
Speaker 3: Well wait a minute, they're all suspects right after you've the reputation counts for something.
Speaker 5: I guess that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And in my in comments on my videos whenever you know, sort of defenders of whatever video I'm discussing or dissecting when they comment, that's a lot of comments that I see is basically, you know, accusing me of picking up something that's an obvious hoax and somehow that you know, that tarnishes the notion that these similar things are real. You know, other UFOs are real. Just because this one is fake doesn't mean that you know, all of them are fake.
Speaker 3: So I don't know if there's a chance that any of our listeners have not been through your YouTube channel, but we'll have a link to that in the show notes, a link to your DVD which is a really great collection of your and some bonus materials on there too.
Speaker 5: They're very nice.
Speaker 9: So yeah, yeah, I worked really hard. It's not one of those DVDs where you know, I just threw together whatever was on the web to just put it together just to sell it. I try to kind of, first of all, remaster a bunch of those older videos which were posted back when YouTube had like a ridiculous quality, you know, right, and I put them all, you know, made them as new and good looking as possible. And yeah, I have like commentary and stuff on there, and some funny kind of behind the scenes stuff, you know, just trying to support this habit because I mean, I'm one of those people I'm really bad at you know, this stuff doesn't get updated. I don't come up with new videos as often as I would like. But I'm working on, you know, figuring out a system where I can simply because this stuff is the same as my day job. And sometimes if I'm you know, getting off of a big project, it's like, oh, now I can do the same thing for fun. So yeah, so yeah, I mean it's it's doable, and uh, you know, I'm still working, but but basically this, you know, people buying this DVD goes a long way to help me kind of carve out some time and ability to make new videos. And I do have a lot of cool plans for future episodes and maybe more characters and stuff like that. So it should be fun. And with every video it's just going to get better because I just try not to go over the same territory all the time. All the time. I just want to make something crazier and crazier each with each episode.
Speaker 3: That's great. I don't know if you remember meeting me at TAM but well we got to go see Bill and I the science guy together.
Speaker 9: That's right, that's right. That was awesome and expected. I yeah, I found out at the last moment.
Speaker 5: It was well, me too, me too, but I was excited to be a part of it.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't want to keep you all night, but I really appreciate you taking some time to talk to you.
Speaker 9: Thanks, thanks for asking me. It's it's fun more instant.
Speaker 3: Today we're talking with lou Petho, is that right, Yeah, that's right. We'll make sure I got it right because I saw your full names. Is it Ludovic, which is a very cool name? All right, it's our friends.
Speaker 5: Who is lou pethol?
Speaker 8: Well, I'm one of these independent documentary filmmakers that you know, we spend you know, there's a lot of us. We spend a lot of time and money just to get projects. And I looked at broadcasters and hopefully you get a guernsey after many months and sometimes years of you know, pushing these projects. That's basically what I do. And the footage was from one of these projects that I'm working on.
Speaker 1: So Blue, how did you find out about this mammoth video? And how quickly did you recognize your own footage?
Speaker 8: Okay, well look what happened. Was a guy called Moderate Martin, I think from YouTube send me an email saying, mate, you should have a look at this footage because it looks a bit like yours. When I looked at it, you know, fair enough, I instinctly thought it was my footage. And then I checked, you know, every pebble, every rock, every cloud was in the same space. And I asked him, you know, how did you work this out? And he actually knows of Michael Cohen's work and he thought I looked, something's a bit fishy here. So what he did? I just did a search through YouTube for Rivers and Siberia and came across my footage.
Speaker 6: Either this has been you actually emailed me. It's interesting how the whole of this thing came up, as I had, of course written on it, and then I guess you had seen my piece or how did you end up contacting me?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Yeah, Look, what I did straight away was to go to people like yourselves who were talking about this story and just wanted to set it straight. I mean, what really upset me was the fact that somebody took my footage, slapped their own copyright on it, and proceeded to make some money out of it. And as I pointed out in my video, if it was you know, if it was a couple of kids in the bedroom think a bit of fun, I'd laugh along with them. I think it'd be great.
Speaker 6: But you know, this is different, right, This is this, This is a whole whole different set of things. When you're again you're not just talking kids, You're talking a production company that should know better, right, Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, correctly, Well, the production company I have got in touch with them. They they acknowledge that the footage is mine and we're coming to some you know, some agreement there. But you know, we we do. People like us put a lot of effort to try and get these projects up. So it's disheartening when you see somebody taking your footage, which you know I put up there, show a bit of the scene, read the beauty of the place, and also to talk about my project.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so we do want to talk about your project.
Speaker 3: But I have a couple more questions about this whole hoax matter.
Speaker 5: I've been really curious.
Speaker 3: About this, Like how much do you think was paid for this this hoax video?
Speaker 5: Or do you the idea yet?
Speaker 8: I don't have any clear idea yet, but you.
Speaker 3: Are pursuing trying to get some kind of compensation for it or misused.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we'll basically yeah, yeah, they're going to compensate me where where Cohen would have been compensated, you know, originally start something a bit big about it, but but it's just something that was still kind of functionalizing.
Speaker 9: And I am looking, I am.
Speaker 8: Persisting with Michael, I am in touch with Michael, and I'm kind of I'm seeing where how far I can push that, because I think he's done this before a lot of other people have got back to me and said, said, you know, good on you. This guy is just a serial hoax. You know a lot of people are caught upset with Michael for doing a lot of these these hoaxes, or or the one that's the conduct for these hoaxes. I mean, whether he's doing and actually himself, you know, I'm not sure, but he certainly is the platform for it.
Speaker 1: And is he claiming to have been the videographer or is he just the promoter of the video?
Speaker 8: Oh no, no, no, he's just saying that somebody sent it to him, which is a bit unusual when you slap your own copywriter and this stuff as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's really odd.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I did.
Speaker 8: And then I think I ce CD you on that. I'm not sure if I see you on it, but I sent an email to to Michael saying, isn't this terrible that this person has has tricked you? And is basically let's let's join together, let's band together and get this guy. You know, we need to.
Speaker 6: Wow, we all got scammed out.
Speaker 3: Isn't that amazing?
Speaker 6: Michael?
Speaker 9: Wow?
Speaker 6: And and look your name happens to be another very dubious videos. Isn't that weird?
Speaker 8: Let's get this is terrible, you know, justice needs to be well.
Speaker 3: He's also said that, you know, well, how do we know that this wasn't just shot at the same location. But I think it's really hard to get your camera set up exactly the same and.
Speaker 8: Make sure that the same pebbles if the same. And look, the really funny is it. Some of the funny comments that I've been getting on the just at that footage is that people are angry that it's actually me that took Michael's footage and I took out the mammoth and I've put it up there as as this is a hoax. Other people have said that it's it's me that created the hopes, and I've come Michael into believing that it's real, just to get the publicity.
Speaker 6: I'm just curious more about your your dealings with mister Cohen. I mean, how how what were your initial I don't know if you're at liberty to go into details, but what was your initial contact with them? And was he very defensive or did he just sort of plead listened or how did all that come about?
Speaker 8: Oh look, I didn't. I didn't go to end direct. I basically look, I just saw it as, Hey, this is a YouTube event.
Speaker 6: Let's let's keep it at that.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 8: My my contact with Michael has only been been recent when I found out found his email. He's saying that he's not He's not the bad guy in all this. I'm not a bad guy, and that that he that I should appreciate all the publicity that I'm getting and that I should be thanking him for it.
Speaker 6: Oh wow, Yeah, what's the There has to be a really beautiful, concise Australian term for that. What would that be?
Speaker 3: There are lots of terms, maybe he's taking them, but I think he was actually an American.
Speaker 8: It was funny I found out he was an Australian and the Sidy Morning Herald and the Age in Australia, and I think the headlines was two Australians lockehorns.
Speaker 3: That's coincidence over a moment. Yeah, how has YouTube handled all this? Have you been cooperative with your inquiry?
Speaker 8: I did look early on. I did point out that the member thing was actually you know, wrong claim of copyright. And I haven't heard back from them, but one interesting thing is that Ben Ben, yourself and Lee Spiedler from Huffington Post were really the only too. They came back and wanted to debunk the story. You know, I know it's I clarify that I was the ABC Brothers show News in America, but the Sun, you know, I put in a I put a comment on their blog. I haven't seen that a comment appear on the blog on that that article, and they haven't responded to me. So it's kind of interesting that they just wanted to ignore the But I guess that's the Sun, isn't it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, right, I think that's probably a part of the course with them. So yeah, it was interesting because you know, when I first, you know, you know, saw it, and now I you know, well you saw the piece, and I was sort of critiquing all the things that I thought were really do be some suspicious about it, And to be honest, I I sort of assumed that it was just going to sort of fade away, as many of these sort of hoaxed you know, bigfoot videos, you know, mysterious creature videos go, and so I just thought it was sort of fade away and nothing. And then and then I think a few days later, I woke up one morning and there's an email from you, and you're like, hey, look at this. I'm like interesting, all right, So I did. I did more digging, and I'll be honest with you, I actually did a little investigating on you because I was a little concerned of a sort of a reverse hoax that somebody was gonna, you know, try and pull something. So I did a little poking around and I verified that you were more or less who you said you were. And then I said, all right, I think there's a story here. So I'm glad that I could help sort of expose this because it was just it's just youah, so egregious.
Speaker 8: I mean, I mean it is. It is funny. I mean it's it's it is a bit of a joke. But where it does get serious is the the idea that people can take your footage, plane copyright on it, make money out of it. Yeah. I think that's becomes a different story.
Speaker 1: And so what is the backstory to the project? Why did you shoot four minutes of video of a river?
Speaker 8: Well? The projects I'm following story of my grainfather, who staided from a pow camp in Siberia in nineteen fifteen and then spent three years walking back home. Now what I'm planning to do is to retrace that as a documentary, which we're still looking for funding. It is a hard slot to get these big projects up. And part of it was a research trip to Kutz where.
Speaker 4: I met a lot of.
Speaker 8: Academics and they're showing me through the archival material from that period. But I also wanted to go through the mountains to see if it was possible that my grandfather actually tried to cross these mountains, and so I did a ten day hike and at the end that.
Speaker 6: Was the river shot that.
Speaker 8: That's become the month shot was about five days in, was at the ten around point, and it was just such a beautiful area and I thought it wouldn't be nice just to have a static shot of just this beautiful, peaceful you know, flowing the river and you know that that was the only motivation, you know, behind her. So I put it up there and really looked. I had lots of a lot of the comments, you know, before all this happened, people saying how beautiful piece for it was and wonderful, and I know it's kind of happy to get, you know, one hundred and fifty hits and then you know, once this thing happened, it's like a quarter of a million.
Speaker 9: Now, I think.
Speaker 8: It's kind of like we imagine if I panned and put some music to it.
Speaker 3: I want to well, I think you can actually add some stock music to the YouTube interface, so you get that one. I don't know if this will end up helping your you know, get funding for your project or not, but uh uh, you know, how how can people find out more about your project or is there anything we can do to you know, help it move along?
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, look what what I look, I am taking, you know, why not take the opportunity of this publicity. And I've spoken to my producers over in Europe, and you know, we're getting interest through German French television. But it is a big project and we still need to raise quite a bit of money. What what I'm going to do in the next week or so is create a crowd funding site where we're hoping to raise enough money just for the science section. And you know, we'll obviously have rewards. We'll we'll try and you know, reward people who join in. And I don't know, maybe maybe have a closer look this time, and you never know, one might see a mammoth along the way.
Speaker 6: Well, I have to ask, just just for the record, just to be crystal crystal clear, are you absolutely sure that you didn't see William ammoth at the.
Speaker 8: I've looked through the footage, and I looked through all my footage and I'm sorry to say, but no, there was just no.
Speaker 10: Sorry.
Speaker 8: I mean, after ten days, I'm sure I probably smelled like a wooly mammoth.
Speaker 6: Wow, fair enough, then, fair enough?
Speaker 8: But but yeah, look, I'll if you guys in mind, I'll set up I'll speak to producers and we'll set up a link. Certainly, we'll have it on on my website, which is Russian Promenade. I'll put something up there where we can link to the crowd something and if that's if that's a little possible, that that would be greast.
Speaker 5: We'd be glad to put the link in the show notes. That's not a problem.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, thanks.
Speaker 5: We typically, no matter who the guest is, we try to ask them what's your favorite monster?
Speaker 6: Monster?
Speaker 8: God, I don't know, probably the yetti because I reckon, you know, if anything's going to happen, I reckon, it's it's going to be a yet.
Speaker 5: Did you see any of those while you're over there?
Speaker 8: No? No, But I look, I know that in Russia there is a university in Siberia that is at tacking this a little more seriously and they're actually trying to find the truth of what what these these things are.
Speaker 3: And you never know that's true if because if you ever did know, then we would never show anymore.
Speaker 1: So unless it has something to do with Michael Collin, well that's.
Speaker 3: True, right, yeah, I am. I'm going to doubt his.
Speaker 8: Work after all. This had to thank Michael, I guess for for some of this.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it'll probably at least a year now before we'll hear his next project.
Speaker 6: So your show is no.
Speaker 3: But he is a staple on the web. I mean we haven't talked a lot about him, but he puts out a lot of content. He was involved in the Chicken Alien from a last April and then.
Speaker 6: He was that's right, also also in Saber Area. I wrote about that and none of them.
Speaker 3: He's involved in the the Brazil Alien that pops up behind the children. Uh yeah, he's uh yeah, he gets around.
Speaker 8: So I speaking of the producers and we were kind of you know, checking maybe maybe there's a good documentary in the serials, you know, see what they actually do and did they damage people trying to you know, to really find out what's going on.
Speaker 3: Oh, for sure, there is absolutely my favorite, I mean my favorite irony of all this. You know, we look at a lot of cryptos weology cases, and my favorite irony is that the Patterson Gimblin film is shot at a place called Bluff Creek. I mean, how what a great title for a documentary, Bluff Creek.
Speaker 5: All right, Well, thank you so much for talking to us, Lou.
Speaker 3: We really appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Thank you, pleasure, Take care Monster.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening to another episode of Monster Talk. I'm Blake Smith, and you've been listening to me. Ben Radford and doctor Karen Stoles know as we talked about Internet hoax videos and interview documentary filmmaker Lou Petho and video analysis expert Allen Captain dissillusion Melick Janion. Links to Petho and Captain d sites are in the show notes. Monster Talk is an official podcast of Skeptic Magazine. The views expressed on Monster Talk, while completely awesome, do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of Skeptic Magazine or the Skeptic Society. Thanks again for all who participated in our experiment last week to get iTunes reviews. I learned later that if you're using an iPhone, you could do a review just by clicking on iTunes, searching for Monster Talk, and then selecting reviews. I really loved reading all your feedback and would love to hear more, and we'll let you know what it does to our iTunes ratings. You are a fantastic audience and you're the reason we do the show, so thanks again for all that you do, even if it's just listening, and be sure and join our Facebook group. You'll meet lots of other listeners and be able to participate in fun activities like the continuing Internet game Is It a Bear or Is It a Mammoth? Theme music for Monster Talk is by Peach Stealing Monkeys. The intro excerpt was from a sample of Willie Bully. A link to that track and all the other stuff I promised is in the show notes.
Speaker 5: Thanks again for listening.
Speaker 11: Want to stay abreast of the latest from Skeptic Magazine and the Skeptic Society. Want cutting edge skeptical articles delivered straight to your inbox every week. Then subscribe to E Skeptic, the free electronic newsletter of the Skeptic Society. Visit skeptic dot com to sign up.
Speaker 6: Oh well, I'm a big burden. Who are you?
Speaker 8: That's easy. Oh yes, yes, I am a snuffle up.
Speaker 3: I guess a snuffle up.
Speaker 8: Aga