Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Pictures Media Radio. Welcome to Policy and Rights Show up Gosh Golcom Policy that Human Joys. All right, Welcome at the Policy your host Michael Clark's number one issue Donald Trump. In some of his rants, he is asking for a unconditional surrender from Iran. He's asking them to step away from all of their nuclear capabilities, and he's saying that he's going to give them no other choice. Or there could be the consequences of the US military entering the conflict between Israel and Iran. The question is, of course, really conflicts in the Middle East, they are ongoing, and they don't seem to really end. They die out, and then they resurface again, somebody does something politically that irritates somebody, and then the whole fighting begins all over again. Is the US willing to step in every time something like that happens? Now? According to one of Donald Trump's campaign platforms, is he doesn't want to enter long term wars. Somebody else's long term war that is to costly, caused too many lives and it doesn't make sense to him. And yet at this point he is maybe saying that the United States is going to enter the conflict between Israel and Iran. Well, we'll have to see on that one. He did leave the G seven meeting early in order to go back to Washington in order to quote unquote maybe deal with some of the things that are happening between Israel and Iran. Of course, there were more waves of of destruction between the two countries and more missiles fired, more UH statements of h hate UH, with itterroll saying that that they now have total command over the airspace over Iran, and Donald Trump did make another comment about that, saying that that was done because of US military equipment and k and and there is more of the that equipment to come. Okay, let's move on to G seven and we're gonna hear UH. Final comments from Mark Karney as he discussed some of the things that happened between him and Donald Trump and that there are some areas of agreement that stronger borders, more protections for Canadian and US airspace, as in there is a a anti missile program to be put in place and a Horizons radar system to be put in place to protect both countries from the next biggest Arctic country on the other side of the Arctic Ocean is of course Russia, and mister Putin is more than willing to take action. We've seen that. And there are some while we're talking about mister Putin, he was ejected, uh or not invited to come to to the G seven or the G eight, And mister Carney does address that by saying that the second did he in his country invaded Crimea, and that that was the the reasoning for for the ejection and for the no invitation, which does kind of make sense. Mister Putin says that it may have been insulting not to be invited, but it was more a to to in response to that, maybe it was more insulting to have your home invaded. Just something to to think about that for the people of Ukraine and Crimea, that their homes were invaded by Russia. Under well, the the soldiers market marching through your town does tend to to to feel a little unnerving, I would think, yes, okay, moving forward from that, the that there were uh were some uh questions on the floor at the end of the G seven about mister Carney. He was being asked uh about energy and resource supplies, in which case that they had talked about how to negotiate to ensure that Canada is well on its weight being a energy and resource superpower, that Canada is is rich in such things, and there are things like L and G projects, and you're gonna hear part of this episode. We're gonna hear a little snippet from UH Premier davey Evie as he talks a little bit about those resources. And he's also going to talk about other trade deals with like China and in other parts of the world. He was he was actually on a trade mission in Asia to promote well, of course UH British Columbia resources, and one of those British Columbia resources is of course liquid natural gas. So mister Carney was asked about liquid natural gas directly, and he said, is that liquid natural gas is part of a bigger package, just a part of a bigger package that was talked about at the G seven meetings. So he was asked a few times about trade agreements with the the United States, and one of the more interesting statements that I think mister Carneiye made was that there is a trade agreement, there is a trade policy already put in place between the US and Canada and that was with the the US m C and how that agreement should still should still stand, and it was a brief comment UH about how he h and how he kind of slid it in there. The they about that is that that trade agreement was also negotiated under Donald Trump's first term as president. So why is it that trade agreement is no longer valid and no good according to Donald Trump, and that he is trying to UH push more tarrors. Mister Carney also discussed other UH ways of combating the tariffs UH on steel and aluminium, and there there are other ways for Canada to get around those tarffs and to secure what we need here in Canada as far as trade is can turned. Through the G seven meetings, We're also gonna hear from Doug Ford as they're talking about Ontario meeting housing home building quotas and how they're pushing forward, especially in Niagara, to get more homes built and to meet the needs of the growing population there. Again, we're gonna hear from David eb as he talks about trade agreements and trade missions in Asia. He is also going to talk about because he was asked some interesting questions around the new BC ferries being built and those The fact of the matter is is that David eb said that there wasn't a Canadian company willing to step up to try to build a ferry for British Columbia. China did. A Chinese company did actually win the bid. But let's go go back to that other part. A Canadian provincial government is looking to have a boat built for a transit system here in Canada. Why didn't a Canadian company step up wanting to build that boat? He was David Ebe was actually asked by someone around are the unions upset? Well, he says, the unions were dismayed that it went to a Chinese company, But how do you select a Canadian company if no Canadians actually put a bit in? So the bed goes to China. So why don't we get started and we're gonna we're going to start listening to We're gonna hear a quick snippet of Donald Trump on Air Force one, and then we're gonna move forward with comments from the G seven. Then here from Doug Ford and David eb as they discussed what's happening in their provinces with housing and David ebe with it's as he makes some comments about his trade mission to Asia.
Speaker 2: There's reports that you want to send the Vice president and Steve wok Off to meet with the Iranians and have discussions.
Speaker 3: Is that something you're considering?
Speaker 4: Nature you, I may dements on what happens when I get back. What specifically is better than a sea spire?
Speaker 5: What are you looking for here?
Speaker 4: And then a real end down, a ceasefire, and then so something that will be permanent or or giving up entirely?
Speaker 6: Is that okay?
Speaker 4: To are you close there?
Speaker 6: Are you possible with that? Must twenty four? Why not? Certainly possible?
Speaker 7: Good evening everyone, Thank you all for waiting around. I know, Look, we got a hockey game to go watch for two to ut keep Canadia, to keep Thays oiler. Thank you all for being here, and thank you for your coverage.
Speaker 6: Thanks for you at home.
Speaker 7: You know, as I said, uh, I guess yesterday morning we reminded that it was fifty years ago that the G seven, or the Advanced Nations leading Advanced Nations that became the G seven, got together amidst economic upheaval, stagflation. Conflict in the Middle East. Sounds familiar, and they formed what became the G seven with a mission, and when they met in Ramboullier, France, it wasn't a mession, a mission to preserve the old order, but to build a new one, one that could withstand shocks, deep in integration and cooperation and really delivered prosperity for all citizens. And it's a reminder that nostalgia is in a strategy. We have to change, and at this moment of transformation, we must turn the many challenges into change. We know there can't be security without economic prosperity, no true security without economic prosperity, but also no prosperity without resilience. We're in a world where shocks are flowing across borders, whether it's through climate change, whether it's through conflict, and we know that resilience is built through tough a combination of tough choices at home and smart cooperation with like minded countries abroad. And that in a small way, but building from that is part of the objective of these meetings, this G seven is to begin to build that new era of cooperation, one that promotes long term resilience over short term efficiency.
Speaker 6: Now the.
Speaker 7: Map there is challenge Daniel Joe UH, this is chance productive event in Derision de Tule continent. Over the past few days, Canada has worked with our G seven partners UH to determine where we can cooperate build resilience and lasting prosperity. And that's the approach that Canada is taking as we negotiate a new economic and security partnership with the United States, and as I've stressed repeatedly, we will take all the time necessary to do that, but no more. And yesterday President Trump and I agreed to continue to pursue those negotiations intensify them towards a deal within the coming thirty days. And so the President and I, as well as our respective cabinet ministers and officials will remain in close contact in the coming days to deliver on that timeline. Over the past days, also met with global leaders who will help determine the success determine what is success in the new global system that will emerge over time. And under pinning each of those discussions was I stress Canada's readiness to work to create new international partnerships to promote a world that's more secure, prosperous, just and free. We're looking to deepen alliances with stable democracies who share our interests, our values, our principles, and who look to lead. We look to lead with many of the resources, including human resources and human capital, that the world wants, and the values to which so many aspire. And it's those values of freedom, of democracy, and of justice that are behind Canada's unwavering support for a secure, are free and sovereign Ukraine. And this morning I shared with President Zelensky and G seven partners what Canada is doing moving forward in multiple respects with measures to support Ukraine and its struggle in Russia's unjustified, in barbaric war. With our international partners, we're launching a major new package of sanctions on individuals, on companies, on vessels the Shadow Fleet to exert maximum pressure on Russia. We're also sending over two billion dollars in funding for drones, ammunition, armored vehicles to help Ukrainians defend their territory, as well as a two point three billion dollar loan to help rebuild the infrastructure in that country. And take a moment to reiterate our condolences given the barbarism witnessed overnight in Kiev caused by Russia. G seven leaders also reiterated our commitment to the pursuit of peace instability in the Middle East. Make clear that Iran is the principal source of regional instability and terror, and we've been consistently clear that Iran can never have a nuclear weapon. We urged that the resolution of the Iranian crisis leads to a broad de escalation of hostilities, including a ceasefire in Gaza to do Londo de op so Deman Key Exige and co Opara Canada bien.
Speaker 6: De chef defield.
Speaker 7: I'm pleased to share the G seven nations in the past. Today's agreed to move forward in cooperation on several key priorities. UH We're going to work with our partners in the G seven and beyond. A number of the countries are here today to develop critical metals and minerals in order to build independence from non market economies, and to that end will we will create a Critical Minerals Production Alliance, a G seven led strategic initiative to stockpile and develop critical minerals needed for defence and technology, including a range from germanium, gallium, graphite, rarers. We also struck several agreements, accords, from the aforementioned critical mineral supply chains, to adapting, powering and sharing artificial in intelligence, to collaborating on quantum technologies, to preventing, fighting and recovering from wildfire, something we feel intensely obviously here in the Prairies, tackling foreign interference and trans national repression, countering migrant smuggling by dismantling transnational organized crime. Next week we will shift from addressing threats to economic security to addressing threats and addressing issues with respect to global defense and security at the NATO Summit and at the Canada EU Summit. We recognize that our leadership will be defined not but just by the strength of our values, but the value of our strength. And with that, why don't I take the opportunity to again thank you all UH and open it up for questions.
Speaker 6: Let's just be prayer focused.
Speaker 8: A Prince to press conference format will be as followed. One question, one follow up for the format personalist. First question, premond tell the problem American Laign declaration Commune lucre ok.
Speaker 7: Problem Yeah, yeah, yeah, the open problem. Yeah they in declaration k or send the mass du President the.
Speaker 6: Exists exist?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Momo, yes, Wir uh pers you know, yeah, tragic as my and a young.
Speaker 6: Smo mo las.
Speaker 7: He's said the important one declaration sets concerned the situation I may or I yeah, yeah it exists. Met No yeah de Fras Dome made declaration Key Key Key and Dick.
Speaker 6: John le vers Franca live.
Speaker 7: There is Jon set on extreme the president tamp falls say and declaration said Nola.
Speaker 6: Some to the call except.
Speaker 9: Mil Marcilla Press departs press Donald Trump, Trump prefer Jeri likes down our situation room cebec.
Speaker 7: See if you see the increased militaire say sex exceptionally see a canon as kiss on Albert don't set situation, uh said situation Graves in situational militaire, uh in situation travelative city laupignon the the michell Trump savore that Washington, it's your compland the compound said decision you know, uh sa sa situation exceptional. Someone will see.
Speaker 10: Here, okay, pre Canadian Mini you can't down the declaras price now may were you're diading a simple declares al Giron you can is an.
Speaker 7: No no this yeahs like the declaration.
Speaker 6: President just just what.
Speaker 7: Sure the president news avon discute chakmun.
Speaker 11: We'll just get you on English on the lack of a.
Speaker 6: JEU.
Speaker 11: Okay, it's just because just to be cla like the joint statement specifically on Ukraine.
Speaker 7: The joint statements specifically on He's in.
Speaker 11: Your presidential statement or your chair statement, but it is not signed by the seven leaders. Why is that the case? What happened with the dates?
Speaker 7: As I said in French Krian? Nothing, Okay, this was discussed by all seven leaders. Well, it's more than seven, because we have the presidents of the European Commission and the presidents of the European Council. Last night at dinner these exact words, and they're in my chair summary. We had, as I said in French, we had a declaration. Given the exceptional and fast moving situation in Iran, we concentrated on that and it's a specific one. I held this for my chair summary. I honestly look, the there would be if you want a nuancewer if you want a sense, there would be things that some of us Canada included, would say above and beyond what was said in the chair summary. But these uh the the recognition of the of the importance of the initiative President Trump to achieve the lasting peace absolutely agreed that we are resolute in pursuing all options to maximize pressure on Russia, including financial sanctions agreed.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 7: That we recognize that Ukraine alone has committed to an underconditional ceasefire agreed Uh, And that we all agreed that Russia must do the same.
Speaker 11: I appreciate the detailing that I'm gonna ask you my question now if you don't mind.
Speaker 7: Michael, I thought that wasn't the question.
Speaker 6: I know, but you asked me just for that.
Speaker 7: This was the equivalent of on anglais for the plus.
Speaker 6: But yeah, Uh.
Speaker 11: In your meeting with Prime Minister Modi, I wanted to ask you did you say to him about the murder of Canadian sick activist Hardy sing Niger?
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 7: We we have had a discussion, uh, the Prime Minister and I about the importance of having the law enforcement to law enforcement dialogue, which is cop not to dial a cooperation uh directly, Uh, the importance of addressing transnational repression as as as as I noted, including when we met. And obviously there is a judicial process that's underway and I need to be careful about further commentary. Who's you and Discus.
Speaker 6: Corp?
Speaker 7: Continuu U the l L de de laois transac de lois. Uh do I uh it galtzy I vic me move.
Speaker 11: I just want to be clear that yes or no, did you bring up the murder?
Speaker 6: I refer to my previous answer.
Speaker 13: Him, mister Carney JP Tasker from CBC News.
Speaker 14: How are you?
Speaker 6: I'm great, okay, good?
Speaker 5: JP?
Speaker 7: Are you?
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 6: JP?
Speaker 13: I'm just fine.
Speaker 6: That's good.
Speaker 13: Couldn't be better?
Speaker 12: Really?
Speaker 7: President Trump says, sorry, that was your question.
Speaker 6: Not so fast.
Speaker 13: President Trump says, tariffs are simple, and what you're proposing to resolve the trade dispute is complex.
Speaker 2: What's he talking about?
Speaker 13: What have you pitched?
Speaker 7: That's complex complexities in the eye of the beholders sometimes and look, we have mutual interests in security, border security and UH military security and UH in commercial prosperity, and we have a variety of paths of those discussions. The government of Canada is going to agree only to those things that are fundamentally in the interest of Canada. In many cases there's alignment with the United States, but not all. And the discussions are continuing. They're productive discussions, but they have more to go. And as I say, they'll take all the time that's necessary, but no more.
Speaker 13: Thank you, Good evening, prem Minister Courtney Justin lang Freelance. I'm wondering if you can comment about whether or not President Trump and the American delegation pushed to water down language around the Ukrainian Joint Declaration, the Decoration on Ukraine, and on top of that, I wonder what you make of his comments suggesting that it was personally offensive to Vladimir Putin to kick him out of the G seven after the invasion of Crimea.
Speaker 7: The answer to the first and I will speak I as you may appreciate, Justin. At these events, I speak with President Trump and his equivalents, not the delegations. The language that's in my declaration directly with President Trump. No adjustments, no adjustments from my fellow leaders. So the consensus around that language with respect to was it personally it was personally offensive to put it mildly to the citizens of Ukraine and the inhabitants of Corimea when Russia invaded in twenty fourteen, which was the cause of their rejection from the G eight.
Speaker 2: Good evening, primis circus for Narty from the National Post Canada sent mixed messages in the past on our willingness to supply energy to allies, particularly l G to our allies in Europe and Asia. So what are you telling our G partners now about what Canada can do to secure supply And it is very different from your predecessor's message.
Speaker 7: I'll just look forward as you know, leave you you would most Canadians do. We view that Canada has a unique opportunity become an energy superpower that's in all forms of energy, would very much to go to your specific question would very much include LERG. We're seeing the opening very shortly. We just had opening of one of the major energy projects, partially Indigenous owned. As you know, LERG, Canada is about to be functioning the largest energy investment that we've seen. There is more that's possible, and there have been a number of discussions, including here about potential energy partnership, so we look too forward to those as well. There have been a number of discussions and I'll refer back to one of the decisions at this summit around Canada's immense potent potential in the to be a supplier of critical metals and minerals, rare earths. You know, there was This is my point to bring out my prop which can you see this You can't, but this is the magnet that President Vonderline circulated, which is formed in Estonia by a Canadian company, and it is the only such magnet made outside of China right now. And of course building that out with rare earth materials in Canada, this is one of many examples that we can supply. So being an energy superpower is conventional. It's critical minerals, it's clean energy, it's nuclear, it's hydro, it's all those aspects. And I would say a tremendous interest in that, and my government alongside provincial governments. But of course at the core, the private sector is looking forward to developing those in the interests of shared prosperity.
Speaker 15: Good evening, Prime Minister Age, you wanna smith with the logic. Yesterday, President Trump, while after leaving the summit, told reporters that you had discussed Canada's participation in the Golden Dome defense system. He raised the price tag choo seventy one billion dollars or zero if Canada. Word is that in Canadian fifty per state US US dollars. I believe, and so that he's not the only one sharing that he said it would be a separate deal from any terrorists deal. What can you share about that discussion and where you're thinking is now on that project?
Speaker 7: Well, look, a couple of things. One is that in part of the spirit, unfortunately of these discussions, is that the world is a much more dangerous place and the threats that face Canada face other countries have shifted quite dramatically. We can see exactly unfortunately and very tragic respects, what's happening in the Middle East as we as we speak in terms of threats from ballistic missiles, the necessary to have a ballistic missile defense Canada, our geography is less and less of a shield, of a natural shield in those respects, and Russia is an aggressor. Other hostile states are in prospect terrorist organizations as well.
Speaker 6: We need to protect ourselves.
Speaker 7: That's part of the reason why, well, those are the reasons why we've started with the over the horizon uh radar scheme for with the Arctic, which is one component of a broader protection that needs to be put in place. There are many reasons why partnering in this case, in this case, not all cases, but in this case, partnering with the Americans would make sense. We certainly do already as you know in Norad, and this is a potential extension of that. But these are live, ongoing discussions and uh, you know, we will will continue to pursue them as long as they make sense for Canada.
Speaker 16: Sorel escapes Trump I revenue conversation Victory see said Letta is respect you Canada have.
Speaker 7: Min no no, who's at de desumo man?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 10: Hi?
Speaker 17: Prime Minister Brian Platt with Bloomberg I wanted to ask about this thirty day window now that you've set up with President Trump. Can you explain was this your idea for a thirty day window? Are you trying to put a deadline in place? And are you is retaliation still? I mean, do you move to retaliation if this thirty days expires without a deal? What's the rationale here and what happens if you don't get to a deal.
Speaker 7: Well, look, there are many aspects of the relationship with the United States, and many of your good questions have touched on them, from security, border security, commercial, financial, otherwise, and uh, we don't want to with respect to the specifics around specific tariffs. There's a certain amount of information that's necessary. There's certain decisions that can be taken given that information and given the relative perspectives. And quite often in deadline in negotiations, having a form of deadline is helpful to concentrate the mind and and that can be the case here. The teams are working well. This exchange of information, exchange of ideas and having that focus will be helpful.
Speaker 6: What was the second part of it?
Speaker 17: Retaliation? You have not retaliated the doubling of steel in the.
Speaker 6: Lumit We haven't.
Speaker 7: We know we have not yet we retain the flexibility in order to do so, and we are looking. But I will say one thing which is related to that, which is we are looking very actively about the risks from third party or third country flows of steel and mainly steel but possibly aluminium into Canada UH and the need to provide protections from that. So we're looking at the modalities and ways of doing that UH, and we're we're very live to that. That's the first We're also of course looking to provide liquidity and other support to UH to to the firm.
Speaker 6: So look, we.
Speaker 7: AH, we have consistently responded in the best interest of the Canadian industry and Canadian workers when there have been these legal and adjustified tariffs put in place, we do so in a way tailored to each situation. We have multiple tools with which we can respond and and some of those, as this evolves, relate as much to other countries potential dumping of steel x deal into into Canada as it does the US. So we're looking to calibrate appropriately. But we'll do what's what's what's necessary, and you know, in short term, and I wouldn't necessarily look to a thirty day window too in that In that response.
Speaker 18: Either a mark with the Globe mail on the thirty days, are we expecting to see a full deal announced in thirty days a blueprint of a deal? And has Donald Trump ever given you any indication that he is willing to remove all tariffs on Canadian goods as the Canadian delegation in yourself have requested.
Speaker 6: It's a negotiation.
Speaker 7: So that's our position, and at present the United States may have a slightly different position, but we'll pursue one that is in the best interests of certainly Canada and aligned with US interest things deal.
Speaker 6: All beta, we'll see.
Speaker 7: Look, it's we have a we have a deal, is called the USMCA.
Speaker 5: Here last question, Yeah, grieving Prime Minister. My name is God of seventh. I work for India today in Debli. Your meeting with Prime Minister and Dariramodi. How would you describe that and what are concrete steps that you and the Prime Minister of India discussed to take this relationship forward that it reaches its true potential.
Speaker 7: Sir well, I think the several things. If I may say, I would say the meeting, the fact of the meeting. Let me say a few things. First, just in terms of Prime Minister Modi's attendance at the G seven, Prime Minster Modi has attended every G seven since twenty eighteen. That is a reflection of the size of the Indian economy, the dynamism of the Indian economy, Indian technology, the leadership position India plays, and his host of venues from G twenty and beyond.
Speaker 6: So as chair of the G.
Speaker 7: Seven, hosting the Prime Minister in that context is entirely natural, entirely consistent. I fully expect the Prime Minister, the Prime Minister of India will be in attendance at the G seven next year for example in France.
Speaker 6: First thing.
Speaker 7: Secondly, in terms of the bilateral.
Speaker 6: Relationship, which is your question.
Speaker 7: I think the meeting today was important, but I would describe it as foundational, as a necessary first step in exchange of views, frank open exchange of views around law enforcement, transnational repression. It's two examples, an agreement to provide the necessary foundations to begin to rebuild a relationship based on mutual respects, sovereignty, trust. And that begins with what was agreed you asked for concrete, which is that we will move to appoint high commissioners again. And let me just finish by putting that in context, which is their very deep ties of of people and businesses between Canada and India. Its well known, it's part of your point about where the relationship could go. And they are not served at present by consular services in effect, certainly by high commissioners, and it's necessary to have that level of service as a basis on which to build out again in the context of respect for sovereignty and to begin to realize the potential of the relationship. And we will, you know, we're both committed to work towards that, but there's a lot of a lot of work that will need to be done. Okay, thank you very much. I'm gonna I'm going to close. I'm gonna make one final comment. If I made just this is a this is that lib to the question you didn't ask what was it like in the room? And I just I'll just say this, having been at a number of summits G seven summits, just to give a bit of a flavor. The advantage of particularly the G seven is that there are only oddly nine people in the room because of the two extra europe I'm not extra Europeans, a right amount of Europeans, but there's two other Europeans and there's nine people in the room, and they're the principles, they're the leaders, and there is a great amount of direct dialogue and discussion, very frank exchanges, very strategic exchanges, differences of opinion on a number of issues, but from an effort to find common solutions to some of these problems. And that is particularly valuable in my opinion. And I'm a new leader in this context. I have been around these things, but a new leader in this context where we had several other new leaders G seven leaders. Because you're building those relationships, you're building those trust, it will be very valuable. For example, next week when the core of the G seven, which was the core of NATO, is together making major decisions on defense and security partnerships. And so the fact that at a time when multilateralism is under great strain, and I'm absolutely clear it is that we got together. We agreed on a number of areas the six related statements. We agreed on the perspectives on Iran despite the impressive minutia questions, if I may, on the detail of words around Ukraine. Agreed on that aspect, that aspect of maximum pressure in variable ways using financial sanctions. That's important and that's valuable. And so I want to just give you a bit of that flavor. And I'm last last thing. I want to pay tribute to our sharpest Cindy, for leading this great effort under challenging circumstances in terms of global events and just the nature of bringing it all together. And so now it's probably about six thirty. So I'm hoping when I walk up off the stage the oil is up by one at least. No, okay, I don't, don't. Just keep me in the zone for a minute. Down by one.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, good afternoon, everyone, and it's just so great to be back in beautiful Niagara, especially for today's announcement alongside Minister Flacky and yes everyone calls him Flacky, and Minister Rooster Huff. And I have to tell you, Sam, you've done an incredible job leading this whole region. I just want to thank you for all your hard work because Sam, Sam doesn't represent one riding. I think he represents four or five in the area and he's doing a great job, and as well as some truly incredible local leaders marriage Jim do O Daddy, Thanks Mayor, and I know we're rebuilding that whole Niagara region. And Mayor Frank Campion, thank you, and and Mayor Matt Cisco, and I have to I want to thank Mayor Cisco for hosting us Alton here today in beautiful Saint Catharine's. And I also want to thank all three of these fantastic mayors for their continued partnership and helping our government protect Ontario and build for the future. And you know, Flack, you were saying the population has grown. You know, back when you're in high school in the nineteen thirties, we only had eight million people. Now it's grown tremendously, But anyways, always.
Speaker 6: Set me up.
Speaker 3: I can't help it when you involve all that into me every time we do a press conference. But anyways, folks, we all know that this is a serious time for our province. With President Trump taking direct aim at our economy. Our government is doing everything in its power to cut red tape and make Ontario in Canada, the strongest economy in the g seven. Our government has a plan to protect Ontario from President Trump's tariffs by building a province that is more competitive, more resilient, and more self reliant. As part of that plan, we'resting over two hundred billion dollars in infrastructure that includes investments and roads and highways, transit, hospitals, schools and homes. Here Niagara, we're twinning the Garden City Skyway to make sure this critical piece of highway is in good repair and can keep up with the increased demand because Niagara is becoming a hotbed for people moving here and it's such a beautiful area. We're delivering two way all day service on Go Transit through our Go expansion program. Last year, we announced the largest Go transit service expansion in more than a decade. We recently completed upgrades to the West Harbor Go station, which will save commuters in Nagara Falls in Saint Catharine's fifteen minutes around trip and allow for four times as many trips between Nagara Falls and Hamilton. We're building and upgrading hospitals, including the South New Nagara Hospital, which I told is three point one billion dollars. We're supporting Nagra's incredible tourism industry, and we're creating new opportunities for Niagra's world class wineries and folks. I talked to the people over at LCBO and the amount of wine that people have transitioned from California over to Niagar. They told me the numbers are through the roof, so that that's yeah, how much forty five? Yeah, it's incredible, So keep drinking that Niagara wine. And of course we're making record investments to get shovels in the ground faster for new homes, including a total investment more than sixty two million dollars in projects across Niagara to enable the construction more than seventeen thousand new homes. So you just do the multiple of two or three people live in that home, that's a lot of people coming to the region through the Housing Enabling Water System Fund and the Municipal Housing Infrastructure Program. And today I'm here with even more good news. Two years ago, our government established the one point two billion dollar Building Faster Fund to encourage municipalities to speed up approvals, issue permits and get shovels in the ground faster. And Mayor Campion nailed and I know the other mayors agree, or Mars Cisco and as well. I think mentioned it. But we can't do anything, and the mayors can't do anything without their council. You know, I've walked the midl in their shoes. Council is so important and when council and the mayor and the province all work together, were unstoppable. So I want to give a shout out to all the great municipal councilors out there as well. Municipalities that hit at least eighty percent of their target will receive funding through this program, with money that can be used for housing and community infrastructure, so we can get even more homes built in the years to come. Today, I'm delighted to announce that Saint Catharines, Niagara Falls, and Wellen have all hit their threshold and we'll be receiving funding through the Building Faster Funt. Congratulations, that's great. So Saint Catherine said eighty five percent of their target and we'll receive two point five million dollars. Nagara Falls beat its target. See theo Daddy loves to beat everyone with one hundred and sixteen percent of their target and we'll receive more than two point eight million dollars. And well and beat its target with one hundred and fourteen percent and we'll receive nearly one point five million dollars. And that's a combined total of six point eight million dollars for these three municipalities. Again, I just want to congratulate mar Cisco, Mayor Diodaddy and Mayor Campion for their leadership and helping get homes built here in Nagara region. They're absolute champions for their cities and for Niagara and I'm just so pleased to be able to work with them. And I hope that this money will be used to get even more homes built so I can come back with a bigger check for you. And I know, Mary, you're already on THEMYK champions on target. So this guy beside you is competitive. He's going to want to be and I know Mayor Cisco is competitive, but this is great. And again I just want to thank everyone for being here today and may God bless the people of Ontario.
Speaker 6: Thank you, thank you, Thanks good.
Speaker 19: We will now a few questions from the media. Media present can form a line behind me and ask their questions through the microphone. As a friendly reminder, the format is one question and one follow up. Please get your name and your outlet before your question.
Speaker 14: Hi, Premier Ford. Karina Walter from the Saint Catherine's Standard.
Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 6: Hello.
Speaker 14: Last week, the mayors of forty Eerie and Port Culbern made direct please to you and your health minister, asking you to reverse a decision by Niagara Health. The hospital system is closing its urgent care centers in Fortieri and Port Culburn one day a week and on holidays throughout the summer from July to September. The health system has said they made the decision because it has a critical shortage of emergency trained physicians, and the mayors are saying that it's not safe for their residents, tourists and cottagers. They're calling on you to immediately reinstate daily operations at both urgent care centers. I'm wondering if this is on your radar, if there's anything the province is willing to do for this particular situation. And I guess overall, what does it say about the state of the healthcare system in Ontario that we have communities losing urgent care centers for one day a week.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, it's always very concerning, but these are summer hours and we can't get the personnel.
Speaker 6: That's what it comes down to.
Speaker 3: If I had doctors and nurses all over the place, yes that's not a problem at all. But Nagar Health they're the ones that are looking at it and coming up with these situations. But let me tell you what we have done here in Niagara. Unlike a lot of regions in the era, I mentioned that we were building or built the new Nagar Hospital three point one billion dollars into this region and as well sam in your area at Grimsby another two hundred and twenty four million dollars. Then we just gave for primary care another two million dollar for ten thousand patients, so family docs and stay tuned. Over the next week, we're going to make another announcement a really good announcement for more primary care. That is where we're going to focus our funds and our resources for primary care. And it's unfortunate that summer hours and everyone's on holidays, but you see this every single summer. It's like Groundhog Day over and over again. The docs need holidays, the nurses need holidays. If I had an ample amount of docs that want to come to this region, by all means, the problem is human resources. And we're putting the medical schools. We're building medical schools. We're registered over sixteen thousand more docks, one hundred thousand more nurses, thirty thousand nursing students are in school right now, so we're putting the resources in. It's unprecedented amount of money we're spending, folks. It's ninety one billion dollars. And I just got back from Boston. Had six governors and I told them, we're spending ninety one billion dollars. That's larger than complete budgets of certain states on healthcare. So do we have to look at better ways of delivering it and continuous improvement? One hundred percent. We're going to continue getting feedback from frontline folks. So by no means is this region being ignored. Actually, we're pouring money in and next week stay tuned. There's more money coming here for healthcare. And I apologize if it, you know, it shuts down for a day in the summer, but I'm a big advocate to make sure we have proper health care in this region.
Speaker 20: Pleasure to join you here on the legislative grounds. I'm just back from Asia and you know, one of the things that became very clear to me during that trade mission was that our province is indeed going to be the economic engine of Canada going forward. And right now I'm meeting with my colleagues in Cabinet about how we ensure the government is positioned to be able to fulfill that responsibility that we have to the rest of the country. There are two pieces I'd like to touch on before going to questions. The first is my colleague Gary Begg, the Minister of Public Safety, participated in yet another community meeting about the issue of extortion in Surrey. This is an issue of huge concern in the community there, particularly the South Asian community. It's an issue of concern in Alberta and Ontario as well. There are allegations that gangs in India are operating here in our province and in other provinces to intimidate and extort business owners, and so looking at the issue with the Minister for Public Safety, I will be writing to the Prime Minister to ask that one of the gangs that is self identified as being involved in some of these activities, the Lawrence Bishnoi Group, be listed as a terrorist organization in Canada, to enable police to be able to use the necessary tools to investigate and bring this activity to an end, not just in our province, but also in Alberta in Ontario, and that the RCMP work with the federal government to identify any other groups that are also involved in this alleged activity. This is a serious step. It gives police significant investigative tools. We don't make this recommendation lightly, but this activity strikes at public confidence in the justice system, in our democracy and in their safety and community, and it erodes public confidence in the rule of law. Is a very serious matter. It's a huge concern for the people of Surrey, it's a huge concern in Alberta in Ontario. And what is called for is a similar response to what the federal government took to the Mexican cartel issue by listing them as well. On the second issue, A serious allegations have been brought to my attention made by the leader of the Opposition, John Rustad, about the conduct of alleged conduct of some MLAs in the Legislative Assembly. The leader of the Conservatives alleges that MLAs are involved in criminal activity. It is a profound and serious allegation that it also strikes at the core of this place behind me and the public's confidence in the fact that legislators and staff members need to be able to do their work for the people without interference. The only reason we know about this is because a letter from mister Rustad to his colleagues was leaked to the media. Mister Rustad needs to explain to the public what's happening. He needs to bring the information that he has to the police. These are very serious allegations and if he fails to bring them to the police for whatever reason, then we will bring them to the police to make sure that this is properly and thoroughly investigated. With that, I'm happy to take any questions you may have.
Speaker 7: Thanks so much to everyone joining us today.
Speaker 14: Reminder that is on the line to please press Star one to enter the queue.
Speaker 7: We will start with.
Speaker 6: Questions on the ground.
Speaker 21: We have Richard Zisman, Global News welcome back. While you were away or traveling back, you would have seen obviously that BC Ferries made a decision to use a Chinese state government owned company to build its new ferries. At the same time, your government has put in pretty significant policies around focusing on using Canadian resources, using Canadian workers. Do you believe it's right that BC Ferries is treated differently here than other parts of government and does there need to be a rethink done about the way that that company is procuring important vessels that are going to be used by British Columbians.
Speaker 20: Well, it's you know, it's certainly a concern to me that DC Fairies would put out a procurement call for four new fairies and not a single Canadian company would feel they had the capacity to build those fairies, and so not a single Canadian company bid on that contract. This is obviously a serious issue, and you know, in some ways it's positive that our shipyards here in BC are busy with federal shipbuilding contracts, but in other ways it really tells a story about the hollowing out of the shipbuilding industry and the province that's taken place over the last fifty years. I am going to be reaching out to the Prime Minister to work with him to ensure that we're building capacity so that ships five, six, seven and eight can be built right here in British Columbia. It's important to me that wherever we can, we're building Canadian we're creating Canadian jobs. But it's equally vital to me that when there's no Canadian company willing to bid on the contract, that we don't leave family sitting on the tarmac waiting for a ferry because the propeller fell off because it's fifty years old. We need the ferries urgently and we've got to go. That doesn't excuse either our government or the federal government from the work that we need to do ahead to make sure that the next round of ferries is built right here at home.
Speaker 14: Back to Richard for a follow up.
Speaker 21: Vancouver City Council voted today in the name Trutch in Vancouver from the street name. Do you believe this is the right decision and should we be having a larger conversation around changing some of these potentially controversial names of buildings or streets across the province.
Speaker 20: Yeah, I think you know. I support the decision of the city. They worked with Musclem First Nation on choosing a new street name that reflects some of the heritage of the area, and I welcome that decision.
Speaker 6: I support it.
Speaker 20: The work that we have to do around reconciliation, some of it is on the ground of creating economic opportunities that lift everybody up. Some of it is about preserving language and culture, and some of it is about addressing long standing grievances of Indigenous people, including that people like mister Trutch were held up while their own heritage was suppressed.
Speaker 7: Alec Cleasanbie, Vancouver Sun.
Speaker 12: Back to BC Fairies. You said that you're going to do everything possible to make sure that ships five, six, seven and eight are built in British Columbia. But there's been smaller ferry shipyards that have said that they can create a consortium to build the boats here in BC. What's your response to that call and what's your response to unions who raise the concerns with you at a provincial council meeting this weekend In terms of how the government has handled this contract.
Speaker 20: Yeah, well, I share the concerns of people that I want to see fairies built right here at home, and if not in British Columbia, at least in Canada. And so there's work ahead for us in the federal government. But BC Ferries went through a five year procurement process, which I you know, I struggle to understand five years, but that's what happened. Not a single Canadian company or consortium bid on those ferries, and as a result, unfortunately, the fairies aren't going to get built here at home. That's a serious issue. We got work ahead to deal with that. But an equally serious issue for people who are fery dependent is the fact that we desperately need those fairies, and we need a lot of fairies. And so the work has to continue. And I won't ask families to sit around with the dog sweating in the car for a for sailing weight because the ferries are down and on a long weekend for the amount of time that's required to get fifty year deficit in ferry building reconstructed. We're going to work with the federal government going forward. We're going to make sure that the next boats are built right here at home, and we're going to support ferry dependent communities and getting the ride that they need on our Marine highway right here in British Columbia.
Speaker 7: Alex for a.
Speaker 12: Follow up, Yes, for my follow up, I just wanted to go back to your comments on the allegations brought forward by John Rusta. You say that you know if he doesn't go to the police, you will with the things that he alleges in the letter. Can you comment further on what crimes you think were committed here and exactly the nature of those allegations.
Speaker 20: Well, I'm in the same position everyone else is who's seen the letter. Mister Rustad alleges variously blackmail and intimidation against unnamed individuals, directed at least towards his staff and perhaps towards other people. These are serious allegations when you're talking about the democratic process, and he needs to bring it forward to police. If he's unwilling to do so for whatever reason, We're prepared to take that step because the public needs to have confidence that that's not happening in our legislature.
Speaker 14: Well, Stepner, Canadian Press.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Hi, afternoon.
Speaker 22: I think of taking my question back to the BC ferries issue, So Bill seven Build fourteen, Bill fifteen all managed by all accounts to alienate some key constituents of your parties and some key coalition members Environmentalists, First Nations and so on. This issue appears to have alienated unions. Now what risks are you engaging here by your government? Sort of and I realized BC fairies and independent corporation, but are you not running the risk of alienating unions one of one of one of your party's key key parts of your coalition?
Speaker 20: Thank you, Well, that's I mean, that's just not true.
Speaker 6: Wolf.
Speaker 20: We work very closely with the labor movement, as you know, to create good, high quality, family supporting jobs here in British Columbia, and we share the concerns, frankly of labor leaders who have expressed that they are dismayed, to say the least, that the ferries are not getting built at least in Canada, if not in British Columbia. But we didn't have a single Canadian company bit on the contract. And so that reality is what we need to address and will address, I hope, in partnership with the federal government. At the same time, we need to keep people moving here in the province, and that's what we're going.
Speaker 12: To do well for a follow up.
Speaker 1: The show has been produced by Depictions Media. Please contact us at depictions dot media for more information.