Speaker 1: It's the lapsed fan wrestling podcast with Jack and carn s e O and JP Sorrow.
Speaker 2: He's a lapsed fan and all my years and wrestling.
Speaker 3: I never seen anything.
Speaker 4: And it's the laps fan man like the one in the ring. Forget about Sado. He the real king of swing. When the bell goes in the kick like me throwing in the corner, but gets rash like stick even Jerry King gets take off. The crowd nodded in.
Speaker 3: His head like its Steve low Brown.
Speaker 4: Would you get low down? We go even high up?
Speaker 5: Flipp you on your head, But you know cool driver, you speak more and Dragon spits fire give you more shock than when he treats higher drop a more truth than the con of sniper unless you with a coconut Roddy Pipper Jack a JP. He like j h D drop the cupcakes and gold the brain Bob means the best podcast Frost start the close cloud.
Speaker 4: If you are a Flassic and polls.
Speaker 6: I don't know, Boss. The more I sit and think about it, I just think it's too funny that at the end of the wcw VHS Millennium Man release on SID that he basically found a way to complain about having to do the video.
Speaker 4: Shoot serious, I mean, he sits.
Speaker 6: There and he talks about how remarkable a symbol it is of his dedication to professionalism and being elite that he drove to a VHS recording that we made very clear by reading his contract last time on the tribute show he was paid for.
Speaker 4: Right of course. Well you know, hey, the guy's got you know, it's it's it's a hassle.
Speaker 6: Okay, it's a hassle for the man of the millennium. And we're about to cross that line and the story of Sid and our TLF tribute to Sid, which continues to unfold and unpredictable patterns in keeping with Sid Udy's life and times I think in so many ways.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, it's very true. He was a revolutionary of that regard.
Speaker 7: He was.
Speaker 6: And of course, if we're going to cap his story with World Championship Wrestling, which is of course the organization. Despite all of our WWF memories, he probably had his most colorful behind the scenes experiences in from stabbing motherfuckers of Oh yeah, it's going to be it's going to be incredible because he's brought back to be Sid. But in an organization that doesn't really have a shit together to really present SID. So he's going to get what he always wanted. Boss, He's basically going to book himself with just a generic direction in which he's pointed throughout the end of nineteen ninety nine and into the year two thousand. What do you recall if anything? I mean, we talked about his WCW run last time, the second WCW run, but anything from two thousand when he actually captured the big Gold Belt again, No, or for the first time again for the first time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, again, never got it. Only only what we know from star Kate, and I do know about the Chris Benoit thing, that's all.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 6: What do you remember about that?
Speaker 4: Which part the Crispin wat thing? Yeah? I just remember. And obviously I don't even know if I remember it as a fan or if I remember it from learning about what happened later. I really don't know. I just know that I just remember that that they gave Ben Wamba title as a way to say, hey, don't go, but he went anyway, and then they kind of left in the complete ship storm, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Yeah, you pretty much have it. And it was who that Ben WA defeated. It was Sid, right, it was Sid?
Speaker 4: I Meyver said it. Uh the January show was it? Was it still sold out? Then that would be I mean, I'm sure it didn't sell out, but was it was it WCW sold out?
Speaker 6: It was sold out with it o uld thank you very much. That's right, which they were still doing despite that being an entire end concept.
Speaker 4: I know, I know it's so stupid, but I mean, WCW sold out just doesn't sound good at.
Speaker 6: All, especially nineteen ninety nine or two thousand.
Speaker 4: I wasna say it sounds actually pretty a little too accurate actually.
Speaker 6: Talk about straining credulity. WCW sold out in this era. Not a single show was. As Sid continues to prove, as we've demonstrated over the course of this entire tribute, that he is and was a draw.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But here is Sid once again in the middle of absolute chaos. Not unlike the Steve Austin part of me, the Brett Hart Sean Michael's craziness in nineteen ninety seven or somehow, Sid is in the middle of all of it while having nothing to do with any of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, what this is? Uh, what's the problem this is.
Speaker 6: The Kapper Man, because he's not only involved in the drama that leads to Chris ben Wah's departure with his tensions with Kevin Sullivan when Sullivan was regiven the book in WCW, but also the cross currents of Russo and Ferrara being brought in in October of nineteen ninety nine. Great, and this, this whole aforementioned incident with Ben which really I think comes to characterize Sid's second WCW run in so many ways, was a downstream effect of the fact that Russo and Ferrara, after just three months on the job were sent home or I'm sure if you asked Russo he went home as.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm sure. I'm sure it was his plan, right, he wanted to do it, He asked for the time off.
Speaker 6: Right, Well, he didn't ask the time off, But I mean, if they weren't going to do what he was hired to do, then he would gladly sit at home, bro and collect at check and look, you book the show an if you're not going to give me the responsibility that you hired me for, and et cetera, et cetera. And so what Russo comes up with is I shit you not? It will get there? Who did Russo want to put the world title on at that aforementioned sold out show, Boss, do you remember.
Speaker 4: Someone different than who? Well, wait a minute, hold on, let me think here. Would it have been Brett?
Speaker 6: Was not Brett? Brett was injured against Goldberg and had to relinquish, throwing all the booking plans As the year turns to two thousand and WCW into disarray.
Speaker 4: Right, that was at the time he got hit in the head and that was it. That was it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he at Goldberg and then as we talked about an elapsed funk, he had that underappreciated match on Thunder where he landed on his head, right, and it never was the same.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 6: So, whatever the plans were on the drawing board for World Championship Wrestling in two thousand, with Brudhart coming into the millennium as world champion, we're now in the dust bin before things could even really get started. The whole NW two thousand angle that precipitated that went nowhere, and so now we have a reset, and so Russo, who still has the job coming into sold out two thousand, comes to the building with a game plan, and his game plan, boss, is to somehow engineer a series of circumstances were at the end of the night, none other than Tank Abbot would be WCW World Heavyweight Champion. Why ain't that the question? What does that do except suck? And that was a suggestion that was beyond the pale. There are already people internally like You're Kevin Sullivan and JJ Dillons, Bill Bush perhaps who were working at cross purposes with Russo, who had been trying to make the case for a long time that he wasn't the right fit for the job and his instincts were way off. And when he proposed this considering the relative and experience of tank Abbott, that was it. And Russo was sent home and they had to book the show on the fly. And it's in that vacuum that the Ben wah sid situation takes place, and all that yeah, yeah, flows downstream from it, because as we know, Ben wah was a was not was not unhappy, was happy, rather, i should say, and his contemporaries to see Russou come in because here was a guy who would book the WCW MIT carters to actually have an opportunity at the main events that was sustainable. Sustainable from the perspective of they wouldn't just get, you know, right pat on the head and then you know, declared a failure. So they were bullish on working under these new bookers, in particular Ben Wah because of his having married Kevin Sellib and his ex wife Nancy Sullivan. They didn't There was plenty of tension and no matter what, Oh sure, of course Kevin Sullivan represented a Chris Man WoT about having his best interests at heart and being able to separate business from pleasure. Ben Watchers wasn't going to buy that a Kevin Sullivan booking regime, which was installed after the aforementioned blow up with Russo over the tank abbot idea took shape. He just wasn't going to believe that Kevin Sullivan could book him the way that made sense for him in his career. And so what happens. We get the radicals, we get the departure, right.
Speaker 4: We get that. That's huge, that's the that's the game changer, right in a.
Speaker 6: Lot of ways. Nail in the coffin of WCW. Let's say, you, huh, was that the nail in the coffin of wcw uh in real.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah. I don't know if I knew that at the time when I was watching, but for sure that definitely is. I mean there's nothing you can do after that. You lose, you lose four four money. Well, I don't know what it's Saturday being money, but you know, at least three and a half money talents and one in one swoop. I mean, what are you gonna do with that? What are you gonna do after that? There's nothing you can do.
Speaker 6: Did Malenko's a money talent? Absolutely, He's a real divisive one.
Speaker 4: I mean, listen, I'm not saying he's a he's a top draw, but in in my opinion and that at that time, Dean Malenko demon Here's this is okay. This is to me what made it such a big hit. And I don't mean hit as in success. I mean hit as in against w CLO to WW big blow because I didn't Saturday. I didn't know or care that much about. But in my eyes, Milanko, Ben Wah and Guerrero were they were synonymous with WW. I'm not saying that they they they like were were the like the picture. You know, what do you call it the poster boys for WCW, but like, they're not anybody who I ever would have imagined would have jumped ship like they were just WCW, And so when they did, it was huge. And to have all three at the same time, you know, that's what you know, that's what made it made it incredible. Again, I don't know how they were. I don't know how they were in WCW in terms of individually being any sort of draw per se, but I just know that that they were top level working talent there.
Speaker 6: They were the kind of guys that on the increasingly shrinking list, the rapidly shrinking list of things the WCW could lay claim to being superior than WWF.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, they were.
Speaker 6: They were the heart. They were the one thing you could point to to say, well, they don't have guys that can go like this, And maybe they did, maybe they didn't, But the point of the matter is that was still a calling card that WSW had in its favor, even as they were getting absolutely trounced by the attitude exactly exactly, and when even a guy like a Ben Wa or Eddie Guerrero can't find a home in the organization and would rather go to WWF, which is the land of the giants, where they hardly you know, at least the way things were constituted. Then, come to find out, on a pleasant surprise, they would basically reshape the WWF main card style around what these guys could do instead of forcing them in a four minute matches and stuff, because Russo had laughed and that whole mentality of WWF matchmaking and match approach it changed as well. So that was very good for them, you know, that was it. If even they couldn't find a way to pencil out, the WCW was the better place for them to be. It's over, it's over, and Sid again is just like this locust of the apocalypse who has no fucking clue that he's walking into some of the biggest, most you know, tectonic plate shifts in the wrestling business, because all he's thinking about is, you know, what the next injury is that he can cite for a return to the ranch, you know, And it's hilarious and all the scale AUSI is.
Speaker 4: A world champion and it's what, I mean, what a fucking what what's up with that?
Speaker 6: Now? Well they look around, it's like they're fucking screwed, and they look around they're like, I guess Sid. Then he's big. People know him. And that's the story of SID.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know that is that is it?
Speaker 6: That is it gets the spotlight when something goes horribly, horribly wrong and nobody has any time to reconstitute a new master plan. And by the time they do constant master plan, he's almost never part of it.
Speaker 4: See what they don't know, See what they don't understand is that they bring me in because they need it right. They say, Sid, Sid, I want you to come in here, and I want you to take over, because that is what SID does. SID is always there to save the day. I save w c W, I say WWE. I saved Sean Michaels. I saved Vienna sausage, and I do I save it. I always get two cans. I put one in the cupboard, I put one in the garage, the pop top of it. I always save a vienna, just like I saved WW.
Speaker 6: SID always has a vienna.
Speaker 4: See, they would have gone under had I not come out there, they would have gone under nineteen ninety nine fall of nineteen ninety nine, that company would have gone down. But then they brought in Sid, and Sid was that lifeline because Sid said enough.
Speaker 6: And the game WCW played it was simple, and they do simple.
Speaker 8: You know what.
Speaker 4: They gave me my contract and it was simple.
Speaker 6: Thank God for that. And imagine how challenging it would be if it was complex, Because.
Speaker 4: If I couldn't read it and I didn't get what I want, I don't know what I would I might have had to take it anyway.
Speaker 9: Haha.
Speaker 6: You know, he would have been so out of sorts, he would that he would have taken the contract.
Speaker 4: Anyway, done the fucking if they did a bunch of legal jargon and said that he was gonna basically work for free, he would have taken it because he wouldn't know any better.
Speaker 6: Said, to take it anyway is the most extreme and unpredictable thing someone like Sid could do exactly instead of find some security is root around it. So this is just fascinating, and it's just wild that Sid sits at the nerve center of it all and all he's doing is like shrugging his shoulders and just doing what they tell him to do kind of, because this check is amazing. I mean, we've heard him talk about it. This guaranteed w stub contract is unlike anything he's really experienced. He's gotten guaranteed money from Jim Hurd and stuff in the past, but it's been sort of it's been sort of equally enticing to do the the upside WWF contract, where yeah, I'm not getting guaranteed this money, but if I do a couple of hot programs I can I can do well over that and fill buildings right right, This is like, you know, he's out filling buildings Towards the end of WWF. He probably was in his rights to start to think, well, all right, that's the end of the wrestling thing, or at least at a high level. Goes ECW and back to Memphis, as we've talked about, and all of a sudden, he's offered more guaranteed money he's ever seen in his life, with all kinds of favorable contractual terms. It's time for SID to thrive, boss, I know exactly.
Speaker 4: It's like, has there ever have there been? Have there been any wrestlers who have survived as well as SID on pure dumb luck? Oh? Man, Well, think about it. I'm talking about a multi time world champion on fucking dumb luck.
Speaker 6: I don't think there's been someone that has looked a gift horse in the mouth as much as Sid did during his wrestling career, who was still able to have so much success and so much show high profile exposure. Yeah, I mean nothing. You put Nash in that category, You could put Summon in this category. But for Sid, it was just that he kept he kept fucking up opportunities. Yeah, and it just didn't matter. I mean, he almost stabbed arn Anderson to death. Right, Fine, I guess totally to the business. He's he's got a job again in the same company, aren't there, right, which we haven't touched on yet, which we will in this episode of our TLF tribute to Sid as we turn the page to get another holiday season. And that's when things get really really spicy around here, don't they. Boss. Yes, they do quite a bit of the logs to throw in the fire in celebration of TLFX. Oh yeah, and we'll get to all that. But for Sid, I mean the way it's unfolding and the way you should start to, you know, calibrate your expectations through the end of the year, as we'll talk about in this episode. He wraps up his WCW run in a manner most unfortunate, most unfortunate. I sure hope when he signed that contract in nineteen ninety nine that no one told said to break a leg, because my god, oh man, I mean, have you grappled with that reality before?
Speaker 4: Did you?
Speaker 6: Did you know that happened to the man?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 4: No, I didn't know that. I don't think. I'm trying to remember. I mean you, I mean, listen, you changed my whole education of wrestling, So you must have told me at some point that had happened. But honestly, I don't recall. But then I know, I do know that that at one point I was certainly inspired to look it up on YouTube in early YouTube days, Yes, were back when it was like the the you know, place to go to find Kenna Kobashi.
Speaker 6: Mans Is inspired the word.
Speaker 4: Yes, Yes, I was inspired to witness maybe the one of at the time, I would say, the most grotesque injury I've ever seen in the world.
Speaker 6: Again, it's how sid is that? I mean, a guy who yeah, you know what I mean, he took his licks, We talked about it. He worked harder than he had a reputation for. But how does a guy like sit in up in that position. It's so sick.
Speaker 4: I mean yeah, I mean he's just like again to me, that's just he's got complete dumb luck, both good and bad.
Speaker 6: Bad fortune and dumb work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, like he just I mean, I the big, the big question. I always why is he doing that move? We'll get to that. Why are you doing that move? Why are you up there? I mean, I don't know, I can't. I'm trying to remember if and think if if we've seen him do second rope moves before, and I don't remember, if we had occasionally a double act off the top weird occasionally a double acts off the top, off the top, Yeah, I've seen it. I think, wow, right, I mean that's crazy right there. I wouldn't do that. But it's it's just it's just stupid. It's just fucking stupid.
Speaker 6: It's somehow so sid I don't know how to put worse to it. But it's like this this guy, he's he's he is a walking womp womp that's what he is, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he.
Speaker 6: Bless the man he gave.
Speaker 4: But anybody can, if anybody can, like just do an entrance with him where you come. You hear the music hit play, but the moment he comes through the curtain, it's just a womp wam.
Speaker 6: You don't even just add that in there, please, I mean, there's plenty of opportunities to add it in and this run is no exception some of things that come out of his mouth, some of the scenarios that he's placed into, like being asked to act and things like that just completely tone deaf to Sid's long list of limitations. Okay, we've heard and we've demonstrated. I think over the course of this tribute that you don't just give Sid complicated, long winded material and expected to be any good. You just don't You just yeah, right, the guy has money in him. Now, a guy has money in him. But you need to know what to accentuate and what to dial down. You have to because otherwise he looks like a guy who's just he's just out in the middle of the ocean without a paddle. And yeah, and this World Champs to Prestling run stare oh fool like he has no idea He was a deer in that horrific nineteen ninety nine WCW logo or the headlights Are we going to get to it all here as our tribute continues to unfold. So in terms of setting expectations through the year, what we'll talk this time about at the end of Sid's run, what we'll talk the next time about, what precipitated the end of the run, and all of the contexts and story behind that. It is a as a much richer story than I think you probably anticipate and appreciate. And then we'll we'll we'll let Sid right off into the sunset. So that's how we're gonna help. If he if he if he if he goes in the right direction, and that's what I'm saying, we'll let him do it. It doesn't mean he will.
Speaker 4: You know, if he's trying to find a sunset, he might be going east for all we know.
Speaker 6: You know, like you know they say, like if you love something, let it go, and if it comes home, like Sid, you'll let him go, and he'll try to come home, but he'll he won't find home, So you'll you'll take the wrong message. If you love him, let him go, and you know what the problem is, he'll get lost and he'll let him coming back. Said to be the guy who like you let go, he tried to come home, but he got lost, and so you took the wrong idea from it for the rest of your life. And he's spent the rest of his life trying to find out how to get home.
Speaker 4: He's you know what he is.
Speaker 6: He's a He's a character in a Cohen Brother's picture.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, oh, oh, absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 6: I think I know what I mean by that. But what do you think I mean by that?
Speaker 4: Because I'm not sure, but it fits well. I mean, you know, in a weird way. I mean, he's like a mix of of of Donnie and Walter in Big Lebowski. He's like a mix, like he's got the the bravado and the loud, barking voice of John Goodman in The Big Lebowski, but he's got the brain of Steve Buscemi. You know, that's what it is.
Speaker 6: And he's got the career path or the or the journey path of you.
Speaker 4: Know, you can you can. I can see him fucking like like John Goodman in the movie, taking a gun out in the middle of a fucking bowling alley. But I also see him like not sure what's happening next to him.
Speaker 6: Perfect perfect, he sees the threat that's coming six miles away, but he doesn't see someone has a gun pointed at his temple at this exact moment, right, pretty much, And he belongs in a brother where art thou?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've never you know, that's one Coen Brothers movie I've never seen.
Speaker 6: I think that's where I came from in my mind. Is I'm like, OK, if he's wandering the landscape trying to get home, yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Just couldn't use that as a reference because I don't know it.
Speaker 6: I don't know the movie maybe coming soon under the cinemat. Now that I made that comparison, you know, I feel like that might be that hardly qualify somebody's in it, but it might be you know, that might be coming soon a deeply, deeply possible.
Speaker 4: So we're taking a quick look at the list here now, Oh yeah, yeah, the list is always handy. It's always there, it's always present. I mean, you get to understand, it's just so now not yet, not yet, that one hasn't made the cut, not made the cut yet, right, so they can consider the gun look thrown down. Just know we're talking. I mean, God, almighty, I've got I've got six hundred movies.
Speaker 6: All right, it's fine, we get through those.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, that's six hundred first.
Speaker 6: Three hundred and fifty six days in years, will take us like two years, right, because we'll do one every day. We'll do it every fucking day.
Speaker 4: That'll be doing every fucking day.
Speaker 6: It always blows my mind when somebody that I know is like a really fervent listener like, well, we'll up dat us and say all right, I'm up to an episode from like the TNH series. I'm like, oh my god, Yeah, you've got a long way to go.
Speaker 4: But you know, so it happens.
Speaker 6: You know, people jump on board at different times, but everybody wants to go and start at the beginning because that's the only way to do it.
Speaker 4: Hey, I understand, I understand. I mean you know that you get, you get, you get the whole thing. I mean, we're you're you know, we are a an episodic but also serialized same time.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, and you know we talk about elf on a shelf? What about fucking casts on a shelf? You know, what about that shelf life?
Speaker 4: Your damn right shelf life.
Speaker 6: Indeed, we head into the holiday season and there's no shortage of ways to make sure that the lapsed fan in your life has a merry Christmas and a happy holiday season, because we're just going to start bursting at the seams. I mentioned, uh kind of how the sid journey will We'll continue to unfold here, and I've just accepted it's a journey at this point. I'm no longer fighting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is, I mean it is. I mean, look, we've been on it for like what two months now.
Speaker 6: We'll just they want every little detail, you know, I can't. I'm like, I'm like, okay, we'll pink with a broad brush here. We'll cover five years and like a half of a show. And someone's like, oh, I can't wait for you to talk about this one thing he said in nineteen ninety seven. I'm like, okay, I can't.
Speaker 4: I can't wait for you to talk about the time he clipped his fingernail, you know, at his mom's house in between two WW shows.
Speaker 6: And so we always we always adjust and attune ourselves. We're like a We're like a plant, a plant that starts leaning in the direction of the sun to continue feeding off that nourishment from the solar system as it continues to glow upon us in celebration of ten years of lapsed as we enter a new decade of dominance, and you know it's it's going to be in addition to the wrapping up of the SID series, it's going to be significant because we're going to start dropping on you the the twenty twenty four TLF unwrapping that's right coming your way in December. It's definitely going to be at least boss twenty four days of Christmas here at t LF.
Speaker 4: Oh, at least, there's so many there's so fucking many, so many gifts episode, so many gifts, it's insane.
Speaker 6: So you guys are insane. Really, that's all I'm going to say. Really took care of business this year. The third unwrapping a TLFX miss. Indeed it will be, and so expect the main feed to be taken over by an orgy of unwrapping. Yeah, as the Solar system looks to you know, make it real, make all this real, tangible in our hands, and we look forward to sharing all that with you and hope you check out each and every morsel that we'll be putting under the tree this holiday season. In addition to the SID series taking its final lap, will also be transitioning out of what has been one of the most remarkable things to happen under the cinemat easily into Christmas movie season. But foss, we do need to update the people on Bond because we revisited it after a quick pause for scary movie season, and my god, are we rounding third?
Speaker 4: I mean, it's it's quite you know, it's so interesting coming back to it, and I think, I mean, you actually tell me now, like, was that the right move anyway? Was it the right move to take that break? Yes, given what you know with the the Daniel Craig stuff, Yes, you know it works because it just the continuity is different. Yes, So yeah, we got our last one, our last one coming up. It is it's a little I gotta tell you. You know, it's like every fucking journey. It's like every fucking journey we ever do, and including this one for that matter. It's like there comes, you know, every journey, there's a You start off strong, it's always very exciting, it's always fun. In the in the middle, it always gets a little hard. Not like that it's that it's not interesting or that it's not fun, but when you're kind of like, okay, we got to move this thing along? How do we move this thing along? And I mean I felt I felt that way even the first one WrestleMania. You know, we kind of got into an area like especially in like the the early two thousands of WrestleMania's or like mid two thousands WrestleManias, we're like, okay, come on, can we just wrap this fucking thing? You know? And same thing, But then get to the end and it's almost like, oh shit, like there's just it's just bittersweet. There's it's always a bittersweet ending. And I've got that feeling inside where I'm like, man, this has been so much fun. It's been so great. It's been exhausting, it's been crazy, but it's like this has been so much fun.
Speaker 6: Had to be done.
Speaker 4: It did happen.
Speaker 6: That's what you take solace in because when yes, you feel like you should be seventy five percent of the way done and you're only thirty five percent of the way done, keeps you going on. Service to the solar system is that it must be done, like if not us, who And so it's gonna get agreed, We're gonna keep going. We're gonna yeah, We're gonna just clear the decks until the mission is accomplished, until until the recipient is satisfied. Okay, satiated, left breathless.
Speaker 4: I mean, I mean, here's the thing. You ready for this? And it's it's not gonna happen for a while, but I already know what the next I'm the Cinema Turney is going to be.
Speaker 6: You do I do breaking news, Yep, I do. It's not gonna be for a while, long time. But I've got an I've got a plan, and you're not going to divulge it right now. No fuck, no, I want you to get wet. Most people say wet the appetite. No, I want you to get wet at the thought of it. We're gonna be looking for I guess maybe some films who'll be selecting in the near future that might be constant, might constant foreplay. Perhaps maybe we should look at a way perhaps, man, Yeah, you never know, a lot of tea leaves to read. I think in the months to come here Oh yes, t f h Q. But under the cinemat carneies are forever a full tour through every James Bond film that has a wrestling nexus. What a pleasure it's been, What a pleasure it will continue to be. And my god, if there's ever a time to jump into the ep A above tier at patreon dot com slash lapsed, now is the time because you're getting peak performance. You're getting t LFX in made manifest through under this cinemat.
Speaker 1: It's the lall wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the Lapsed Fan. He's the Lapsed Fan Wrestling podcast with Jack and Carno and JP Soro.
Speaker 6: And so we really do hope you join us. It'd be a great way. I don't know, if you're just catching up. Maybe through the holidays one thing, slow down a bit, you know, people trying to get through the workday with the podcast in the year all day you know that.
Speaker 4: Us that I mean, think about that especially, think about that that that time period between Christmas and New Year's. You know, if you got to work between them, we're good. We're a good thing for that.
Speaker 6: On folks, get your bond on your co chairs. I never thought in a million years that I end up being such a bond enthusiast as somebody who as I've talked about didn't watch any of them front to end before this journey began. And Boss Boss found a way. Boss found a way, just like I tried to do with like World Class and you know a w at the Trial of his life or even t na yea, you got it. You got to keep going and you have to show yep, Well, what's never gonna happen to us is what happened to like you know of Vince Russell, like where the audience detects that the booker cares less about the details than the audience.
Speaker 4: No details are fucking key.
Speaker 6: And that's the hill we're going to die on or thrive on. And so far it's been more than thriving and long continue so under the Cinemat executive producer tier and above. This is indeed the time. I don't know if you've got any doozies on tap for Christmas movie season. We have gotten some incredible, incredible films over the years in that time period, but can you give people a flavor.
Speaker 4: I I I'll say this, Okay, So I've admitted that there is a certain affection that I've had towards the miss Christmas movies. Oh yeah, you struggling because they're just so stupid and they're just fucking idiotic. So I've got something. You know, he hasn't made one, I don't even know in the last movie he's made. He hasn't made many since in quite a while. But I found something in that vein that I think will be a fun that'll be a fun little uh jaunt. And then I'm I've got a couple in mind for a quite a doozy main event. There's one that I'm really hope and I can lock in.
Speaker 6: So psyched out of your mind about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pretty much, I would say just that, yeah, psyched out.
Speaker 6: Because you know, if you haven't been listening to Under the cinemat since the beginning. As wonderful as the epics have been and the huge sweeping, you know, Godfather episodes and things like that, the heart of it is really just like the heart of TLF, Like, what's the zaniest, weirdest shiit, what's the bad stuff that we can make good?
Speaker 4: You know, it goes yeah, and just what's the stuff that we can look at and say, what the fuck is this? Holy? I listen, listen. I am bummed that Kevin Nash didn't have a Christmas Movie. I would have done that right away, all right, that'd been right on the list. Fail on the archives. Vone in the cinemat by the way, Santa Sligh featuring Goldberg. Oh yes, absolutely, I mean look, I mean look our first our first shows. The first time we did under the cinemat, it was Christmas Movies. That's how we started with Muscles, Santa with Muscle my God, come on, folks, Santa with muscles, and and uh uh yeah, of course Santas Slade, Jingle all the way and uh and die Hard were the first four.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, that's right. Wow memories.
Speaker 4: Well we got fucking introduced. I mean, what a think about that? Where you go right introduced to uh, to a norbirth group. First first four shows him to get Norbird group.
Speaker 6: Just wrestlers that you'll never you'll never see put under the spotlight.
Speaker 4: That's the fucking beauty of it, all right. That's the that's the fun part for me is finding these clowns that you know, that that you know they needed to make a living and they and then they end up becoming actors or stunt people or whatever like. But in the meantime they had to fucking wrestle. It's all they could do.
Speaker 6: In some ways, it was kind of like a spiritual extension of what we were going for with connecting the spots. Long time. Yeah patrons will remember when w W would post in the old network a hidden gem with a wrestler from you know, the fifties or something that no one, you know, that very few had heard of. We would go in, we would go hard, and we would try to understand like who this person was and what contexts they fit into, and it was so much fun. And then come to find out there was so much crossover between Hollywood and old wrestling. I know that this is just annoying way to do it, another mechanism, you know.
Speaker 4: And the thing is, I get that's the been, always been. The biggest surprise is that everyone makes a big deal out of a rock or or Batista or Sina Hogan, Sina whatever. But it's like these guys have been doing it forever. There are people who are doing it, who've been doing the like Wrestlers being in movies is as old as fucking cinema at cinema, at cinema.
Speaker 6: I mean, in so many ways because they share they share common ancestry with the stunt man the world.
Speaker 4: Yep, exactly how to take it. They know how to they know how to play gruesome people. You know that that's there's so many people, there's so many wrestlers who who you know, just nobody remembers. And I'm that's what thrills me. That honestly is what thrills me the most is when I get you know, I either find or someone gives me a movie and we get to and it's somebody I've never heard it before, it's somebody from another country, and we get to find out. I gotta find out who this fucking guy is, right, and find out and find any wrestling, any wrestling evidence. And that's the best part, the best part.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's correct. And I bring up, you know, connecting the spots, and I bring up hidden Gems kind of forlornly because we got over it a while ago when they made the transition here in the States to peaking.
Speaker 4: Oh fuck my life.
Speaker 6: I don't know if you've seen any screen grabs those international folks that have been fortunate enough to still have the traditional WW network with all the stuff that we put up there. January first, twenty twenty five, it's done. Yep, Netflix, why would you want the W network? Why would you want that? Why would anybody want that? But I don't know what was kind of what kind of pisses me off. I mean, I guess they want the eyes on their thing, but it's like, it's kind of I wish that they would do that, that ownership of the network would go to somebody else or something like that, and they would, I don't know, get whatever they need to get form it, maybe get money or whatever. But with the maintenance of it, it's just like, let it be.
Speaker 4: Let the network be the way that it always was, and then just people, you know, like Peacock can put its fucking thing on it, and then Netflix can put its fucking it's it's you know, make make make it, make it the Netflix w W network. I don't fucking care. But just that the way that it was was just great. I mean, the Peacock thing is is a fucking shit show. It's so awesome, so awful, like they've never they've never made it better. It's a joke.
Speaker 6: I mean, people are free can out Because there was some like verbiage in the email that went out about WW network ending on January one, about how like select archive will be available on Netflix.
Speaker 4: Of course, it's going to be like you know, it's going to be like nothing because because you know, they're not going to start doing They're not going to start transitioning the networks of over now why would they do it? Now? They'll do it. They'll do it on December thirty first, they'll start transferring shit over.
Speaker 6: And will they do I mean, we gave up so much from the network to Peacock. Yep, you think the full Peacock archive is going to go to Netflix?
Speaker 4: Fuck?
Speaker 6: No, why not?
Speaker 4: Because why would I do that? Why would I want to take the time?
Speaker 6: We take the time and here we are, right, that's like you guys, we like there's not an argument for it. It's just it's just not worth it. So sad, Okay, it's just not worth it, so sad. So why if I don't think it's worth it, why should you think it's worth it? They did set up a U Tube channel called the Vault, which is kind of promising, but we need the archive we need we need We don't need the Vault sending us breadcrumbs. We need access to the Vault. I know, like I want full you know, I do love the like the certain little things, but like I need full shows. You've got they have full shows and events that just need to be seen.
Speaker 4: So stop it. Stop being bitches.
Speaker 6: I mean, look, listen to me, folks. One hundred dollars a month, people will pay it. Yeah, what are you gonna do this under the same corporate umbrella that has UFC Fight Pass with every last fist that's ever been thrown in an MMA organization sitting there for all the watch with no like shopping it around, maybe because no one wants it, but you know it's like, guys, like, just take care of you, take care of the people that are going to be with you until you're out of business. Like that's that's something you have to keep in mind. I think Netflix is going to give a fuck about not at all Awa SuperClash, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: They don't fucking.
Speaker 6: And we get what we deserve because we were started. You know, that's why this started. The lapsed fan started because when the network came out, they were talking about what the lapsed fan wanted.
Speaker 4: Remember this, right, yep. They were doing.
Speaker 6: Powerpoints and investor calls, talking about investor decks, talking about how many lapsed fans that were out there and how this network was going to be the vehicle to recapture them. And aw strum the same guitar too. When they got started, and it was like, oh, ye oh, really you're gonna tell us what the lapsed fan wants. Let's let let us tell you. Okay, you're gonna put that exactly. You put this bounty in front of us. Let us do ten years worth of lucrative podcasting to prove to you that this is what the LAPS fan wants. Our listeners, even if they don't listen to us, they represent the kind of person that you want to life to customer value, whatever a fucking acronym you want to come up with in business school for it. That's where it's at. But now let's just put let's just put the last five years on Netflix, right, Let's just.
Speaker 4: No one needs the whole thing. No one's gonna be watching wresting, you know, fucking wrastling from the seventies. We're here, we're for hire. Put us in charge. You'll never get another complaint again. You won't have to lift a single finger. We are the one, just like yeat. Let us have the fucking tape archive. We talked in there, and let us put sh it up.
Speaker 6: And how frustrating is it to talk to somebody like Matt Camp, who we talked to this year, who was in the belly of the Beast, who is fighting this same fight. It's it's not even like there aren't people inside that don't realize it. It's even when pointed out to them, these people who think they're gonna win an Emmy for TV production just can't fucking get it. They just can't. They just can't countenance the fact that all that matters is servicing the fans you have, and then the rest is all gravy. I don't know, man, I'm not looking for or to this new turning of the page.
Speaker 4: And in that vein, it's it's it's never listen, it's it's it's gonna get worse before it gets better.
Speaker 6: Why is that necessarily a fact? What kind of attitude is that?
Speaker 4: Because you know, because they don't make it easy, and they don't make it fun, let's fucking get it all right, and and and they don't know what they're doing.
Speaker 6: It's so true, like you know, they even if they put a good product in the ring, it's like these little things that you're just like, what are they doing? Like, why are they bothering with this? Why are they not doing this over here?
Speaker 4: Why aren't they doing anything else? But yeah, I mean like, is it that hard? Apparently it is that hard.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 4: I yeah, that that is it. It is that fucking hard.
Speaker 6: Here's how you do it. Just take it from us. Here's how you do it. You start with the earliest year you have footage from. Yeah, I'd love to know if the footage is stored by year, because they don't make it this much easier and you just upload one thing every day.
Speaker 4: Listen, I'm sure it's alphabetical.
Speaker 6: Fucking why would it be alphabetical?
Speaker 4: Why wouldn't it be alphabetical? That's the wrong question.
Speaker 6: I can't believe that it's it's that difficult, because they find really obscure clips for like their documentaries and stuff really quickly. You know, they're able to find like you know, the A and E stuff, Like they're able to find these moments that weren't even on television that are sitting somewhere on like b roll that they have. They seem to call upon that pretty pretty easily. I don't know how much work. It is takes, but do they another brand new world. It's going to be a new year in a new world. Until then, we can still seep in the juices of of TLFX in twenty twenty four and in the vein of the transition of Netflix. You do want to be locked into Patreon dot com slash the lapsed fan For another reason, We're going to be closing out twenty twenty four in style in the form of.
Speaker 4: Live calls because while oh yes, oh yes, they're.
Speaker 6: Probably hearing this post, probably with the Survivor series coming up the Saturday after Thanksgiving tradition, the post Thanksgiving tradition, it has a certain ring to it, doesn't it?
Speaker 4: It does it does? It definitely makes me get excited for a holiday, except the way I don't because it's after the holiday. Just do it.
Speaker 6: Do it the garden every year, you know that way, Like you know, everyone who works in the office, like they have to work, but it's like you know, they can do half a day or something. People from Florida can fly up in three hours. That's where so many your people are. Maybe if they're all around the country, just you know, maybe they don't have to work. I don't know. I hate to take Thanksgiving away from anybody, but it's sitting there. It's sitting there, begging, begging to be activated. For the wrestling fan, it really is. It's it's the way it used to be, and it's the way it should be. It should be the Thanksgiving Eve or the Thanksgiving Day tradition.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 6: Doesn't this make sense, especially in an era when they're willing to put Royal rumble in fucking February.
Speaker 4: It's so, it's just so.
Speaker 6: The live call coming your way as the art of war games continue, speaking of Ersten Wylt left journeys, indeed as the Bloodline exploads in the in the War Games Cage, and we'll also being with you for the return of Saturday Night's main event, These war Games, Saturday Night's main event. These things keep coming back, not because we're right when we say it used to be better, but because we're.
Speaker 4: Wrong, because we're because it's it's just it's just a happy coincident, Yeah.
Speaker 6: Exactly, and we need to really stop taking credit for the seven hundred things that happen thing, all right, And then, of course we plan to be with you for the aforementioned first raw on Netflix. This is turning out to be quite a big thing, a new era. I don't know if you heard about the problems buffering with the Jake Paul Mike Tyson fight, Boss, but I look forward to being live and in color as they fail to deliver the stream.
Speaker 4: Absolutely listen. I I hope, what I hope happens is that they end up canceling it, like fifteen minutes in dand up just saying, you know what, we can't do this stream tonight. They'll keep the show live for you know, and they'll probably they'll eric some of the time, but like the live stream, it just can't happen.
Speaker 6: They'll literally give up.
Speaker 4: Yeah exactly. They're just like, just fucking we get it. We have to restart our servers, the whole fucking thing. Just forget it. Just forget it. By the time we restart every reboot everything, it's gonna be fucking midnight. Forget it.
Speaker 6: I try to find the exact quote, because I triple hu did not in gender confidence when asked about the the Street.
Speaker 4: He's he's such a fucking why would he He's a fucking idiot.
Speaker 6: Eddieone who's throwing cold water on this thing needs to realize, well, you know him cold water, So I made that one up, but the fact that you thought he said it. So they asked him about it on Greg in the Morning Buzz, which is a talk show, and they were talking about what happened to the Hall fight and you guys are going to Netflix, aren't you afraid when you're a live that people won't be able to see the show and it'll fuck up like that? And he says, you start putting sixty million households all at once on the streaming service. If our first night buffers, and they come and say there were sixty to seventy million households watching, I'll be good with the buffering.
Speaker 4: Well about the mic buffering or the bruce buffering or the whatever.
Speaker 6: The mentality that that portrays, you know, like instead of saying, now, it's not gonna happen because he's.
Speaker 4: Got no he's got no fucking clue, all right, that's the thing about it. He's got no.
Speaker 6: Collecting all these live gate records and all these things. He's collecting all these numbers like it, you talk, anyone's gonna give a fuck when finally someone's done with playtime.
Speaker 4: You know, nobody cares about the fucking all right, about the fucking numbers. They just want to watch the fucking show. And if you can't produce the fucking show numbers, what good are you? I mean, it's gonna be.
Speaker 6: I sat there and I didn't care about the politic and fight that much. It wasn't like something that I was like, I didn't have a million people over and the pressure you know what I mean that that can create. I didn't have any of that. But I was just like sitting there, like someone has to be fired for this, Like if you can't deliver a live stream in twenty twenty four in accordance with if you can't predict the amount of people that are going to watch something like this, then you are just useless at your job. That's the whole fucking point of coming out of pocket for something like this is you anticipate big numbers.
Speaker 4: Right, I mean, it's not like they haven't known about this shit.
Speaker 6: I mean we crashed the servers. Yeah, that's the problem. That's not the that's not the positive attribute. That is a negative externality. Right, should not have crashed the servers, right, Just I could not believe that this was happening, and I also couldn't believe that they didn't like apologize or anything. If they did, I didn't see it and heads didn't roll. I mean, if this happened ten years ago, it would have set the whole thing back twenty years. Honestly, Like, if something this big was on streaming before people were really comfortable with the idea of streaming mostly everything they watch, like back when only Netflix is really the only thing you streamed. Live sports would not have happened on streaming for another decade because because people would have been so reluctant to spend of course, oh.
Speaker 4: My god, absolutely listen, it would all be a dead thing.
Speaker 6: The audience would drive and fail, and the content producers would also be like, dude, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna pull this effort into something that people are just going to be all pissed off about for things totally beyond my control, like the technology. Yeah, yeah, you got to get that right, and if your Netflix, you really got to get it right. So I don't know, I mean exactly, because you're the fucking you're the fucking pioneers. They're paying so much for this stuff. They're paying so much for raw and what the reason it's worth it is because they see they see the opportunity to expand into live, live, sports, live all that, and we all know the premium ad rates that that can command. But if you can't get the stream right, Amazon hasn't not a problem in the NFL. Like, please stop it, stop making excuses, stop throwing numbers in my face.
Speaker 4: Get it right.
Speaker 6: And I'm not looking ford to sitting here for live calls on Netflix in two years and we can't see half the show. I'm not looking forward to.
Speaker 4: That at all. Yeah, I am in a way.
Speaker 6: Weren't you over my house when they did the first Summer Slam on the network where Brock killed John Cena, We didn't know what happened.
Speaker 4: It just like froze, Yes, yeah, yeah, because we did a live show after.
Speaker 6: That froze and by the time this signal came back Brock at the belt in the air, we didn't know what the fuck appened.
Speaker 4: Well, let's not forget too that that. Remember the first WrestleMania Russemania thirty before we started doing the show, we watched it at your house, that's right, And to kind of like get an idea, it was like kind of a planning session for for a Labs fan about that and even that was a disaster.
Speaker 6: Disaster, and that's twenty fourteen. It was unacceptable then, so looking forward to that very much and so join us for that. Wait, you know, for us the downside is upside Okay, so oh for sure it's a disaster. Then just as well go back and listen to when we did the Return of the Wars remember that aw verus n XT and we were up to like one in the morning and it was like, this is not.
Speaker 4: Crazy, this is not it. This will not be the return of the two of the w W F WZW going at it and no, no, now, it's about being on Just forget it, say no more so.
Speaker 6: Yeah, premium live calls available to you for your Patreon dollar of course, ad free versions of the show. You get certain shows a day earlier than anybody else. It's it's more than worth it. And the under the Cinemat proves that. Russell Mamia for the Mote Tier members.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and if we just had our we just had our Survivors series episode.
Speaker 6: Tell the people what they're missing with they're not plugged into the tip top tier.
Speaker 4: Well you missed. You missed me and my mom watching the Four Doinks, the quote unquote four versus Bam Bam, Bigelow, Bastion Booger and the Headshrinkers, the ninety Vivor series. That's what you missed.
Speaker 6: And if you're saying that's what I missed sarcastically, then say less we get we understand where.
Speaker 4: Just because if you think that's that's nothing, you don't know my mom, all right, because that's that's the key there is watching my mom with her innocent, naive eyes watching wrestling and you know, getting the kicker is she when she gets into it. It's like, you know, we we You can watch a couple of matches and I always do. I always have a warm up match and then we get into it, and by the time the second match comes about, she's just you know, lost in it. You know, she's lost in the world, like she can't She's just what she sees is what's happening.
Speaker 6: That's so wid Yeah, because people talk about that lot, you know, suspension of disbelief and everything in his wrestling fans. It's like I never feel like as a hardcore wrestling fan, I never really lose sight of the fact that it's not real. I feel very like intentional about suspension of disbelief. It doesn't often feel like something that happens to me organically, but maybe it does. When I look at people like your mom and people that do like my parents, I can remember like there is something magical about them starting the night, like defying and snickering at the whole thing, and like all of a sudden, the match hits in there, like reacting like this bad guy is an actual bad person doing bad things, right.
Speaker 4: I mean, they're drawn into it. You know, That's that's the beauty of wrestling. It's the beauty of really any storytelling is when you suck people. It's like, honestly, it's no different than reading a book. Yeah, and I'm kind of like okay, okay, okay, and then all of a sudden, I like get really excited and before I know it, I've read thirty pages. I how fck I read thirty pages. I can't read thirty pages if I try to. You know, it's that kind of thing, that kind of feeling. And you know, she listen, you know, we go to their house for Thanksgiving. I'm sure we're gonna be watching some wrestling.
Speaker 6: Aw's taglen has coming to be restored. The feeling Boss, I think the feeling is very much restored in the Moate tier. I would agree, because we're intentional about it, and we won't stop until it's restored, at least in our own hearts, which is all that really counts. And so upon another American Thanksgiving, we are in the spirit of issuing thanks and I can't think of any other cohort that we're more thankful for than our Mote tier supporters. These, I agree with the people that you know, go above and beyond. There's a thing that they always say when rich people complain that they're not taxed enough, which doesn't happen often, but sometimes happens, you can always come back and say, well, you can always pay more taxes than you owe. That's an option available to you. And these are the people who pay more taxes than they owe for the effort that we put in. And so for that reason, if nothing else, we need to serenade them here upon this Thanksgiving, in celebration of TLFX, we're talking about the roster. We're talking about Abel Lettier, We're talking about Adam Graver, we're talking about e x three. We're talking about Aiden Kivelhan and Alan Smith and Andrew and Austin King, Salifer and Blake Downing and Brad and Brandon Kaiser and Brendan Mow and Bren Erickson and Brian Blake and Brian Hinz and Chris Awesome, Mike Hogan and Chris Harris and Christopher Creva and Chuck Piacio and Coldstone, Steve Austin. How about Daniel and David Camminster, David Style and Dennis and Dominic Carrera, holl Cogen, Intern, Matt James, Irwin, Joe de Tolve, John Francis, Justin Davenport, Kevin Mills, Christopher Craig, Mark Dapper, Martin Ferguson, Marty Longhurst, Mike Hornicker and Monny Davis Junior, Nathan pedro Rios. How about Pete Cosey and Peter Rustling. Can't forget Robert Holtzhammer, Ryan balland Sam Fairbanks, The Homie, Scott, Michael Ferry, Sean McGerr, Shane, Stephen Laird, The sin Man ninety seven, The Pardon Me, The sin Hitman ninety seven, toms At Nacio, tom Zach Madrass Zach Geller, zvs Choir, the Homie. These are our ride or Dies. These are the people that make podcasting worth it, and you owe them as much thanks as we do this Thanksgiving season for what we've created here at TLF. We love all our patrons, but these folks. These folks put fifties in the collection plate. Okay, yeah, yeah, they fucking know how to nut up. They do quality when they see it. They're out there and it's a list. We're like, okay, you don't get it. Well, these people, what are you saying? All these people are idiots? And in that vein, we finally did it. We finally created a T shirt that's for the non lapsed fan in your life. Oh yes, great suggestion from the Solar System boss jumped on it right away. Pro Wrestling Teas dot Com slash the laps Fan, which of course is the gallery of all of our t shirts available to you. Great holiday gifts for the lapsed fan in your life, or to request one as a TLF fan from a family member is a great.
Speaker 4: Move, and I'm sure there'll be some Black Friday sale coming up too.
Speaker 6: They've moved a couple already presenting the lapsed wife line.
Speaker 4: The lapsed wife. Okay, it's the lapse fan logo, but with wife and underneath the quote why are you laughing? This isn't funny? And there are two versions of it. There are two versions of it. I've got the classic red and white on a black T shirt, but I also, you know, maybe your wife isn't into wearing a black fucking T shirt, right, So there is a pink variation with a It's a kind of like a hot pink version with a light pink and white logo, so you know you can do that. I mean, that's kind of very stereotypically feminine. I'm not trying to do that. I'm just you know, Unfortunately, I'll just say this, Unfortunately, for some reason, Pro Wrestling Tea still doesn't allow us to have like a color change.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: There are a lot of wrestlers and stuff who have the option to, like, I can put any of these shirts in a different color, you know, and but we don't have that option. So I just don't feel like I was like, well, I'm gonna do the two easiest ones right now. Maybe I'll have more down the line, but you know, it just sucks that we don't have that option, but.
Speaker 6: I think the creation of this is proof positive that this is. This is a cohort of people. The lapsed wife is a thing. There may not be many, Oh it is, it is, But like everything on the show, it's not about I think there are many of any of them. Yeah, yeah, I think so. I think there are quite a few who are like, why, yeah, why are you doing this with your time? And I think it extrapolates. I think it's not just about listeners of this particular podcast. It's listen, it's if you do anything beyond casually watch wrestling, this is your wife, and especially when you come at it for the perspective we do. It's just it's part of the pain and shame of the process.
Speaker 4: My wife.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, it's not funny. They're sitting there and they're laughing. It's not even right.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is I'll tell you, this is. This is the exact it's not hold back here. This this shirt is, honestly is the personification of when we've all our families have gotten together and we Jack and I start giggling about random, completely bizarre shit, and our wives just sit there and are just they don't know what to do. With them. So you have to eat. You have to know what we're talking about. If if you're if you're a married man in particular, you have to know what we're talking about here, Like this is this is the struggle to somehow retain your wrestling fandom.
Speaker 1: It's the last fan wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the Lapsed Fans, the Lapsed fan Wrestling podcast with Jack and and JP Soro.
Speaker 4: I mean, think about the times that on the show that Jack and I have done the kind of wordplay ship that we do, you know, you know, and it's like back and forth, but we do that, you know, in person with people around you know, who wants to be around that.
Speaker 6: It's so true, Well we know it, we acknowledge it.
Speaker 4: To be around that when when the two of us are just busy entertaining our.
Speaker 6: So you have to know, Like if you're in the grocery store and someone what are you laughing at? And you can't even tell them, you can't you don't know what the first word to say is. That's what this is about.
Speaker 4: Listen. And I've told this too. I've been in that position. Absolutely, I've been in that position listening to art it's your show. I was listening to the fucking I was listening to to uh R A w A shows and I something we did just had me going. I was at a gym. It was the classic thing. I was at the gym. I was trying to do one of those you ever see that, You know, you get those those half balls and they're like soft on top, but it's got a base at the bottom. Sometimes you flip them over you try to balance yourself. Yeah. I was trying to do that all right, and do squats okay. And I was doing this one. I was doing Evil Dead. This is years ago now, and and young woman who is next to me and she's in the show, and all of a sudden she sees me almost fall off the fucking thing because I'm laughing so hard, and she says, oh my god, what are you listening to? And I'm like, oh, it's nothing, Oh my god. Do you imagine it's certainly not my own show.
Speaker 6: That's funny, it's certainly not my own show. Look, we get it, we get what we're doing to you, and this shirt is a recognition of that. We've met so many great laps girlfriends and wives over the years, and boyfriends and husbands.
Speaker 4: And they're supporters. I'm not saying that that every everyone is like that, they're supporters.
Speaker 6: But it's just we know, we understand, man, we we we have to somehow pour our heart into the show and then pretend that we don't ever work on it at all.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what to whoever. If anybody is getting this for their wife for Christmas, please give me an audio recording, all right, Please get an.
Speaker 6: Audio promise that there's a promise if they're company to hear that.
Speaker 4: I need to hear. I need to hear the disappointment. That's what I need.
Speaker 6: What is you don't you don't expect me to wear this?
Speaker 7: Do you?
Speaker 4: Why did you give me this?
Speaker 6: Put that question right under the other too. Seriously, it's a it's a problem, boss, it is. We've been doing it long enough that we're like full grown adults.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 6: There's no excuse anymore like it is now one pathetic Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I'm you know, forty three years old, and I'm talking about trying to doing impressions of Randy Savage, trying to get his fucking dick hard. It's normal behavior.
Speaker 6: Doing body slam to with your toys.
Speaker 4: My toys as I'm yeah, exactly.
Speaker 6: I don't know what to tell you other than we're all on this boat together and we can either sink or swim together, but there's no third choice and progressingts dot Com Slash the lapse Fano.
Speaker 4: Also, we get some new some new SID line shirts up. We talked about the it's up now the I'm either eating waffles or I'm eating your face shirt is off.
Speaker 6: Said Line. I wonder if JR were called the SID clothes line.
Speaker 4: That We've got the Udi Mania shirt, which is Paulcomania style, but instead of red and yellow, it's blue and white.
Speaker 6: It's really sharp. I like it a lot, and it's what basically Vince promised him in ninety one.
Speaker 4: Right exactly. And then we've got the Santa Monica said, Santa Monica said shirt, which and I added to on the bottom, I put the the sw R an s w R logo, which is the SID World Ruler.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 4: I guess that is what I just decided to call it. And the World's Rule Monica said.
Speaker 6: The new World Ruler, right, it's what he is.
Speaker 4: Well, he's the SID World Ruler.
Speaker 6: He is and so wr the Vienna's shirts up there for your consumption and so much.
Speaker 4: We also got the the Church softball team, yes all the shells. I mean, if you want to go way back to we do have sid softball squad too, which was sponsored by Michler's Deli and Sterling Golden Pharmaceuticals. And I am V SMA. You gotta take it. I guess you gotta take it. It was you gotta. I don't remember what we had for a slogan for that one, but yeah, the I am I am V SMA.
Speaker 6: And of course for some premium.
Speaker 11: Oh.
Speaker 6: I was wondering if you had it. I didn't want to call for it because I don't know.
Speaker 7: It was.
Speaker 6: Excellent, excellent. A long time listeners will know the story. But yeah, and if you're looking to dial up your apparel game, you know, beyond just a T shirt, which you know we appreciate, uh, the Homie Dicky over Chopped Teas and the lapsed fan store it Chopped Teas. You just google that little puppy to find that one. Just amazing stuff. High end merchandise, hoodies, hats, jackets, fanny packs, pants, all kinds of of schwag. That's like serious, like legit, like high end stuff, and just truly flattered by the effort. Dickeye is put in on our behalf and on behalf of others in the space, and we tip our cap to him for being as entrepreneurial as he's been. It's been really nice to be beneficiaries of his hustle in his ingenuity. So reward that.
Speaker 4: I'm waiting. I'm waiting for, you know, the right moment, the right opportunity to where that lapse the varsity jacket.
Speaker 6: It's a tough call, it is.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's gotta be the right fucking moment, and the weather has to be right. I mean, forget most summer months.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's not going to be the summertime, I.
Speaker 6: Know, let's put it that way. It's a heavy piece, it's a well made piece.
Speaker 4: I was blown away with. It's a beautiful, beautiful jacket.
Speaker 6: So all of that and more available to you. I'm actually not sure if the jacket's there anymore. He's running out of lot size and certain sizes I read, but no shortage of things to pick from to dial up your TLF apparel game this holiday season and if you want to get in shape in the new year in a TLF approved way, it's always worth considering our favorite supplement brand here at TLFHQ, and that's our friends at Titan Nutrition. And anyone wanting to optimize lean muscle and recover from a workout should be using a protein supplement right. Problem is, many of these powdered protein drinks taste like chalk and don't mix easily on the go. We have found the solution with Titan Nutrition's namesake protein Titan Way. Boss. Did I catch you doing the aforementioned toy playing there?
Speaker 4: Oh? Yes you did? Okay, well, you're talking about Titans and I immediately picked up. Well, I don't want to say what it is actually, because it's from the unwrappening oh a figure featuring a uh a boulder of sorts.
Speaker 6: This protein, speaking of which, this protein not only mixes easily, it also comes in eight amazing flavors to choice from, including Dutch apple pie, peanut butter fudge, and snickerdoodle. See exactly, talk well, Ed O'Neal apple pie? Are you serious? Dutch?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Come on, it is? What's the connection there?
Speaker 8: Ed? No?
Speaker 11: Wow?
Speaker 4: Let me Oh the annoy. Uh no, yeah, it's fine. It's a Judo gene.
Speaker 6: Oh sure, yep, I wait to get down oil O'Neil's man. I'm a huge Marria with children guy, so it'll be fun so you never get bored. I use use them after workouts, okay, traveling anytime you want to snack. You don't want to ruin your diet with unwanted calories. Tight and Way twenty four grams of protein and each serving only a trace of fats and carbs.
Speaker 4: So good.
Speaker 6: In fact, you're gonna feel like you're cheating, but instead you'll satisfy your hunger and stay on track with your diet and nutrition goals. You can find these and many other great products by going to tighten nutrition dot net and using what promo code? Boss? What's the promo code they should use lapsed lapsed at checkout, and if you do that, you're you're gonna get ten percent of your purchase price and free shipping. Again, that's tight nutrition dot net with the discount code lapse. Do you want to check you? Well, that means you don't have to pay to get it to your house. You would know something about shipping.
Speaker 4: Uh, get my house. We can get my house. Brother, we're talking about pain to get my house. Dude, who's paying to get in my house?
Speaker 6: You've been having stuff shipped to your supplements for years, Terry Brother.
Speaker 4: Who's paying to get into my house? That's what I'm talking about, dude, someone's paying to get into my house. The fans of the World Wrestling Federation What Nope, I understand something, dude. Yeah, which fans are you talking about?
Speaker 6: Ceiling fans?
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, I don't have any ceiling fans. Dude, No way am I putting something above my head?
Speaker 6: Well, all right, fine, that that stand up fan you have behind you?
Speaker 4: What brother, you're seeing as a fan in my house standing behind me? Dude?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you didn't put it there.
Speaker 4: Brother. I have my doors locked. There's no way a god can get in my house.
Speaker 6: Dude, I said a fan, Terry fan.
Speaker 4: I know, brother, a fan, a whok maniac? Dude, Did you what.
Speaker 7: I do?
Speaker 6: I do kind of want to know what would happen if you go to a whole cogaan autograph signing and you get to the table and you just look at him and go, did you.
Speaker 4: I wonder what he would do? Honestly, don't know, I.
Speaker 6: Don't think what he would do would be too far away from what we're suggesting. He would look at you, for sure and wait for you to say something. He'd be on guard just a bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, he would definitely know that something was up, and that he definitely know that it's like, oh shit, all right, I gotta get defenses going on here. You know, you just look at him like a fucking battleship.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 4: It's like all you know, everyone's getting behind their guns and their wide glides.
Speaker 6: Yeah, white glides. She look at him like, wait, did you wait? And you start backing up with your unsigned eight by ten. You start backing up like wa, and you just like run out of the out of the store. I'd love to see what you do.
Speaker 10: Then.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he would definitely have someone check around, sweep the sweep, you know. But yeah, that's that's Those are things that only left the imagination. But we're thankful for everybody who patronizes us this way, no excuses. If you're looking to get in shape, you can do it in a TLF approved way with our friends at Titan Nutrition. That's a TLF approved w h e Y by the way. Oh yes, so a lot of that business commenced with let's get back to someone who once played Santa. It's Goldberg and why goldberg feud versus Sid is now firmly underway in World Championship Wrestling, and the gamesmanship has begun, and there's a famous episode. Have you ever seen the clip of Sid standing on a pancaked vehicle, bouncing up and down on its remnants. Excuse me what, It's not enough that these two giants are going to collide. It's not enough that they've built up an entirely fictitious wind streak for Sid to rival Goldberg's. It's not enough that Goldberg's been on the shelf and kind of a way I'm going to make a big impactful return to finally challenge Sid to the ultimate colossal showdown. We also have to sprinkle in the suggestion that Goldberg is, let's say, sabotaging Sid's motor vehicles in the parking lot of WCW events, and one time, at the conclusion of an episode of Nitro, Sid makes his way out into the parking lot and finds his car flattened to the point that it's basically as low as his ankles to the cement just completely compacted, as if you know, put through a trash compactor, and he thinks it's Goldberg. And that's not what's important. What's important is the way in which Sid expresses his frustration, his revulsion at having been victimized like this, long may it go down in Sid Hall of fame moments.
Speaker 12: Oh my god, goad woad bad go ba.
Speaker 6: Do you see what I mean? Dey Han said a script where he's supposed to act like somebody who is beside himself had his vehicle being destroyed.
Speaker 4: Well, okay, can I tell you My favorite part is him saying Goldberg, where are you? Because I'm like, well, it's like I love the if something like that happened and you thought it was somebody, you'd run after them, right, You wouldn't sit there and ask them where they are and scream where they are?
Speaker 3: Where are you?
Speaker 6: He's screaming like he's looking for a dog that escaped the house. He really is, I said, he doesn't want to be found. That's the whole point of this operation.
Speaker 4: I don't care.
Speaker 13: Go bad?
Speaker 6: Can you a mood bad?
Speaker 14: Where you speak up?
Speaker 2: Damn it?
Speaker 4: Oh my god?
Speaker 15: What go bad?
Speaker 14: Whow bad.
Speaker 13: Bad?
Speaker 8: Go bad.
Speaker 6: I can't, Guy, I can't.
Speaker 4: I mean, what the fuck?
Speaker 6: This is the September twenty seventh night, ten ninety nine, nitro So still the bishoff kind of like you know Sullivan precursor to Russo's arrival, Nash kind of dusty. Yes, it's like an amalgamation of various failed prior to regimes And this is just the direction they thought they needed to go to build up Goldberg versus Sid first time.
Speaker 7: Like what the.
Speaker 4: Like does anyone ever scream like that when they find their car and there's damage to it, You have to know, squashed and stuff.
Speaker 6: But if you have to know, if you hand Sid material like this, he's gonna turn it into a complete mockery. Like, yes, you don't give Sid a role like this. I just I adore it. I adore it in everything receivable way.
Speaker 4: I mean it is. It is easily one of the fucking funniest things I've ever heard.
Speaker 14: Oh my god, what car?
Speaker 2: Go bad.
Speaker 7: Go go?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, what happened to my car?
Speaker 6: In case you know the audience didn't get it that something happened to Goldberg?
Speaker 4: Where are you Goldberg? Goldberg? Goldberg?
Speaker 6: I mean usually you just put like a prayer on the funeral booklet. But for Sid, I guess that quote will do. It's in like that cursive.
Speaker 4: Writing on the back exactly exactly.
Speaker 6: Oh man, So it's it's it's just as absurd as you would expect it to be. It's just as full of unnecessary twists and turns as you'd expect it to be. But here's the kicker. By the time they finally get to the match. By the time they finally get to Halloween Havoc nineteen ninety nine, Russo and Ferrara have taken over. They took over basically right before this show. And this was, for all intents and purposes, the first w W pay per view they booked. Now, they didn't say the card out because the card had been pretty much established before their arrival. But when it came time to figuring out how it would play out and finishes and stuff, that's okay. Look no further than the fact that when Hogan gets in the ring with Sting, he lays down and takes the fall for Sting and walks away. My favorite thing to point out when people act like Bash at the Beach two thousand was like this thing that had never been conceived of before and wrestling when Russo already did it in October of the year before, to Hogan to figure out a way to get him out of the picture for a little while. And so it's going to get really, really silly because now you have Russo and Ferrara with the reins and they're not they're not booking to matches they created. They're having to work backwards and find ways to spice up the presentation of what is being handed them. And there's a famous nitro. I know we've talked about it before. We may have even doved. Do you remember the nitro where Kevin Nash comes out in a SID mask?
Speaker 4: No, No, I wasn't watching.
Speaker 6: I think we did the nitro where he came out and imitated Vince McMahon. I'm pretty sure we did that one, right, You remember that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that horrifying mask. Right.
Speaker 6: So this is in a similar vein he's wearing basically a Sid Halloween mask.
Speaker 4: What like, why does he do this? This is the third time at least that I know of, that he's done this.
Speaker 6: Dres up his arn Anderson, Yeah, because he thinks he's good at imitating other people. He doesn't even do their voices though. No, he's not good at it at all. But he's mister you know, every he has every Everyone laughs at his stuff backstage because they're afraid to cross him, you know, And so he misinterprets that is how hilarious would it be. It's not unlike Triple H doing the Rock as the Nation, remember that?
Speaker 4: Yeah he did it once? Yeah, I sure did, right. I mean that's the difference is that Nation is done at least thrice here, and he would do it way more if allowed to. So there's this segment with the outsiders, who you know, Russo had a hankering for booking, is like backstage troublemakers in those early night tros. That's the best way I can put it right. And you know they weren't rely wrestling. They were just like making sardonic comments and creating chaos and disorder. And they were in the ring and Sid comes out, pardon me, Nash comes out with the Sid mask on. Haul is in the ring with him, and Nash starts carrying on as Sid and making fun of him and things like that, and then Sid comes out and delivers canon, absolute canon. I'm not talking cannon fodder like EXPLOSIVESM so c A N O N. Okay, this is as Sid as anything will play for you throughout the entirety of this look at his life and times.
Speaker 7: Here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the.
Speaker 16: Outsiders got a little message for Big Si in Vicious.
Speaker 14: Said, you're as dumb as your look, and I've got.
Speaker 4: The bruise right now.
Speaker 6: So Mass is making the said face and shaking his head using a dun hon humble.
Speaker 10: I am the ruler, I'm the worm.
Speaker 4: He does a great said voice, doesn't he, And.
Speaker 3: It off for you.
Speaker 12: Come and look at the same time, Hoppy the US champion.
Speaker 15: Right now they're making sit up to be an idiot.
Speaker 7: You know that, so.
Speaker 15: So one.
Speaker 14: I'm a little slow.
Speaker 4: See that, but I do now there's not wrong.
Speaker 6: It's great stuff.
Speaker 2: And I might look like a complete jackass, and I might have the mind and brain of the fume.
Speaker 3: Im No, hold.
Speaker 6: Okay, people love it.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I can tell now you might be able to outsmark me and out thank me. And yeah I probably can't get a complete make no bones about it though, Iam.
Speaker 4: That that one was good.
Speaker 6: So he's playing on the idea that that's all Sid really says.
Speaker 14: He is coup better fact, I'm just a complete idiot.
Speaker 6: I apologize. This is his music on Peacock. I hate it's so far, especially when he considers doudy seventy music in this Rubb's actually kind of badass.
Speaker 4: Yeah, loses w W NK music.
Speaker 14: You're talking about that you can just push your man his side so far.
Speaker 4: Listen to what the man says. See you've suit me.
Speaker 14: You're taking like, don't make it look like a jackass. He knows, sup.
Speaker 12: Tonight say gash just to wear any hallween costume you want to.
Speaker 14: But you know what, I know that you only half the man that I am.
Speaker 4: Get ready for it, and.
Speaker 14: I have half the brain.
Speaker 4: Continue you have to weave.
Speaker 14: You're trying to make me look like a jackass.
Speaker 12: Spread it stops tonight or for you home the road to Dunc.
Speaker 14: Don to have you wait Campanship of.
Speaker 12: The world.
Speaker 6: Tonight.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 6: I only you have to and that I am the brain you do, and I have half the brain that you do. What I don't know. I just thought you might have some thoughts.
Speaker 4: On it seems like a normal thing, not a GAF. He's not wrong now if there's not say anything inaccurate.
Speaker 6: If you have to see Scott Hall's face when he says this, because they cut back to Whim. He turns to Nash and like kind of covers his mouth, like I believe he just said that Nash is under the mask so he can hide it well enough, and Sid, you can tell, kind of catches himself. But it's too late.
Speaker 4: Now, why what was he? So? Here's the thing is I don't understand though. Okay, so now I'm thinking about it. So he says that you're half the man that I am, and I have half the brain that you do. What was he supposed to say?
Speaker 6: Right, that's the question.
Speaker 4: What was he trying to say?
Speaker 6: I mean, I guess half the brain that I have. You're saying, and I twice you have. You're half the man that I am, and I have twice the brains that you do. Maybe, he said, he maybe that's what are you supposed to do? Yeah, twice the brains.
Speaker 4: That you do? Right?
Speaker 6: Of course he says it that way too. It's just even funnier.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 6: But boss, here's what I'm here to tell you what It gets even more absurd.
Speaker 4: How is that possible?
Speaker 6: Because if we if we know anything about Sid by this point, after all the analysis we've done. Is he going to just accept to history? Is he gonna let history simply record that he flubbed the line? Oh no, what's he gonna do? I imagine that somebody let me think here, Yeah, yeah, I want you to really marinate on it. What would Sid do if he knew that there was some gaff that he made that was completely his fault, that he knew cast him in an embarrassing light.
Speaker 4: Well, number one, he'd blame somebody else for it, yep, And that maybe I don't know that somebody. I'm say, sham. I was going out out to the ring. They were playing my music, and all of a sudden, Eric Bischoff comes over here and he says, you gotta say, you gotta talk about his brain. I said, what brain? So you gotta talk about Nash's brain. I don't understand.
Speaker 6: He's he's never given me head and talk to you about Pat Patterson's brain.
Speaker 4: But well, you mean brain.
Speaker 6: Well that's kind of the point, isn't. It's said that you don't even know what the word means. And so he was all flustered when he goes out there and I don't even.
Speaker 4: Know what I was saying.
Speaker 6: You pretty much nailed it, man, I knew you'd come. I knew you'd get it because we've spent too much time. This is a guy that like he's got his he's got his menu of stories that he tells to counteract every single time he's been caught playing fast and loose or being a moron. Okay, he's got a whole story about how every injury was real and the doctor. I didn't want to go into the doctor, and they made me go to the doctor, and I told him I I don't want to go to the doctor because then they're not gonna let me wrestle. I don't want to negotiate with you because I'm gonna say something and it's gonna upset all that. You know, the way he sort of reverse engineers circumstances, but he knows the menu of things you're gonna ask him about. And this definitely came up when he was on the shoot interview circuit after his career was over. And you said it was Bischoff, it was Russo actually Okay, But let's spend some time here with how sid his countenance the fact that this one goes down in history. Here is his explanation, Uh, in one of his shoot interviews with R Video, I.
Speaker 8: Just not you know us.
Speaker 18: So first of all, you know, wasn't the genius every boy putting out to be. And he set a poor job or a different type of job. Then I thought we all thought was sabotage. No one could be this bad consistently. I get an example where in Little Rock, and that's my home state, and I come out. They started, you know, the hall champ and he had me come out. Uh see, Kevin was dressed up by Bens mc mahan and Scott was dressed up like someone else.
Speaker 13: Can remember what was.
Speaker 7: Say?
Speaker 18: If the line was like this is a I'm not as dumb as I down. I'm not as dumb as you think I'm dumb. Something there's something really sad. And I said, is this really what you want me to say? Because this isn't gonna help us draw money?
Speaker 13: Yeah, you know, but but Bill was guy's name. Don't don't bush Bill Bush.
Speaker 18: He come in now, Sid you're one of the leaders here when I'm asking you to do everything they ask because if you do it, then it looked like, you know, everyone should do it. So I always had that and I don't mind that's part of the deal. And if I'm that well respected by the big guy, I'm saying, I'm gonna do what you're asking me because you're paying me a lot of money. So I did you know, and that was those are silly things, you know. I just didn't think that, you know, that had any reason to be part of anything. There's a waste of time, you know. Television is so important, you know, intepeted, you know. But that's that's how I say.
Speaker 1: He's a lapse fan wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the lapsed fan. He's a lapsed fan wrestling podcast with Jack and Corneo and JP Soo.
Speaker 6: So he is proffering a version where Vince Russo scripted him to say I have half the brain you do. Not that he flobed the line, but that he was for some reason scripted to say that.
Speaker 4: And because that's what you know, I mean, who that's I mean, that's just stupid, this.
Speaker 6: Idea that he like, protested it and called it out as counterproductive and did it anyway because he's just you know, boss. The reason he delivered that line, because he's just too much of a team player, right exactly, And it's you know, if.
Speaker 4: That's player, that's why he has the contract he has.
Speaker 6: If that's if that's the cross he has to bear, then so be it. You know, if he has to get in his car and a day off and drive to a TV studio to shoot an interview for his VHS release, then so be it. These are the these are the things that heroes are asked to do, right, And.
Speaker 4: That's such a asshole.
Speaker 6: The fact that he couched everything that happened and the whole Russo was there to kill ww thing is just so rich because all that comes later, you know, like, there's no way that this early in Russo's WCW run people were.
Speaker 4: Saying that about him, No way, right exactly.
Speaker 6: That's things people say after WCW goes under and you look back with retrospect, you say, what was he trying to do? Anyway?
Speaker 4: That was fucking weird.
Speaker 6: But there's no way, in this host's opinion, that Hall's reaction is an organic on that show. There's no way that sid was supposed to say that. But that's that's his that's his version, and bless his heart, he sticking to it. He's just too much of a leader boss to to not go out there and say that, even though he remembered it so clearly in an interview. Did you hear him recite from memory the actual line. What did he end up saying? I'm I remember what he said.
Speaker 4: I'm stupider than you.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, I'm not. I'm dumber there. I'm dumber than you think I'm dumb.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, I'm dumbing that you think I am.
Speaker 6: Okay, sid I'm dumber than you think I am.
Speaker 4: I'm dumber than you think I am.
Speaker 6: That would have been a better title for the Millennium man VHS.
Speaker 4: Really just see the thing is and it's real simple.
Speaker 6: Yeah I wish it was.
Speaker 4: You don't understand that I'm dumber than you think I am. I've half the brain you do.
Speaker 6: Why are they having you say this stuff?
Speaker 4: Sid Well?
Speaker 6: Why did Brusso script you in ninety five to say can we do this again? So ja I can say we're alive.
Speaker 4: I don't make these mistakes. This is what I've been told to do. I'm a team player. I'm not gonna sit there. I'm not gonna argue with people who are paying me big money to do a job, and I don't do the job, right. We can get rid of that one here in a bit. Definitely don't do the job on top of it, so I have the brain that you do. I mean, say no more, right, But then he adds a whole other dimension to it by denying, by denying, by prevaricating. It's just tremendous. It's as sid as it gets, it's as pro wrestling as it gets. Mean. God, of course we'll never know, right if if Russo scripted the line, we'll never know will.
Speaker 19: Be JP Brock Who it is? It is, Vince Russo, man, And I am here to answer a question because you have a question about the nitro.
Speaker 14: When Nash came out in a sid mask, Yes.
Speaker 4: Why is he yelling? Why the fuck is he yelling? He's in he's alone, he's got a phone right in front of him. Why is he yelling?
Speaker 6: You know this guy, Jp, he didn't like me from the beginning. Bro I'm from New York and he's got a problem with that. That was made very clear to me on Day one.
Speaker 4: Bro day one in ninety five. Because you've known him.
Speaker 6: Or the or the day one raw they did a couple of years ago.
Speaker 4: Old I do want to say, by the way, I want to even though that this this cameo is directed to me, I have not heard these yet. I actually purposely did not listen to these ones.
Speaker 6: It's good practice. Now, all right, Well that's great, because I wanted to ask you. Do you expect Russo to remember whether he scripted this or not?
Speaker 4: Yes? Okay, JP, Bro, Look who it is.
Speaker 19: It is Vince Russo Man, and I am here to answer a question because you have a question about the nitro. When Nash came out in a Sid mask and Sid said to Nash, I have half.
Speaker 4: The brain that you do.
Speaker 19: Sid has said that it was scripted line. Is that true or did Sid mess up? Scott Hole reacted like it was legit.
Speaker 13: I gotta be honest with.
Speaker 14: You, JP, here comes.
Speaker 19: I don't remember that being a scripted line. I honestly don't. It could been Sid said it was, but Bro, that was twenty five years ago, and it's really hard for me to remember. I do not remember scripting that line. I didn't think it was a scripted line. Sid thought it was a scripted line. Unfortunately he is no longer here.
Speaker 13: Rest in peace. I love Sid Man.
Speaker 19: He was a great man a great individual individual. But if you're asking me, I'm honestly answering. I don't remember it being a scripted line, but it could have been a scripted line. I'm not bailing out, JP, I'm just telling you what I remember, Bro.
Speaker 14: That is in my friend. I hope that helps you out.
Speaker 3: Take care, will you?
Speaker 4: JP?
Speaker 6: Yeah, we'll get that done, Vince. Thanks love.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that is a nauseating, nauseating cameo. No, it's not fine.
Speaker 6: He tackled our question in great spirits.
Speaker 4: What the fuck?
Speaker 8: So?
Speaker 6: I wonder if we hadn't said that. Sid later denied it was a scripted line and just asked him if it was a scripted line, if his answer would have been different. But I think the calculation is like, if you don't say that, then he'll like pretend I do not remember it at all and not understand why you'd even ask, and that there's a controversy here might might cause one to lean in one way or another, and he, basically, I think, is he's going to come as close as he's going to to say that. No, of course I.
Speaker 4: Scripped that right, right, I mean, honestly, he could just stop. I don't remember scripting that line and that's it, you know.
Speaker 6: Well, he the first thing he says is, I don't remember it as a scripted line, right, So it's almost like, again, he would have said it wasn't if he didn't, if he wasn't made aware of the fact, if he didn't know already, which Russa pays very close attention to a lot more than you think, so he may very well know that Sid has been I wouldn't. I wouldn't put it past Russo to know that Sid has called that a scripted line and act like he hadn't heard that Sid had said that is my point, because he seems to hear every little thing that's said about him. But but the first thing he says, to be very clear is I don't remember it being a scripted line. That's good enough for me. You know, if you just like isolated that quote alone in a story, yeah, it would go down in history as absolutely was not scripted. Russis said it wasn't. But then he kind of goes into, you know, I understand that Sid thought it was, but I don't remember that being a scripted line, and I would think, you know, if you scripted or Sid to say, I have half a brain, you wouldn't forget that.
Speaker 4: I know you would not forget that if if if you, because because not only would you not forget writing that line, you'd also not you wouldn't be able to forget his reaction to it, because who the fuck's gonna say okay right away and just go with it like people are gonna You're gonna have pushback on that kind of a line.
Speaker 6: That's so true, and he this is a pushback that Sid claims he actually had, you know, and if Sid did react in the way he claims he did to being to this being brought to him, of course he would remember, right, you know, it's.
Speaker 4: Uh, it's it's what you do.
Speaker 6: You go to the guy who wrote the script to ask him if it was a scripted line. There's no there's no third perspective we could bring here. Really, of course Sid's gone, that might sus all this out as there h a j P.
Speaker 13: It's nash.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, it's it's pretty hard not to remember that one. Uh, you know, even even when it was live. Uh, you know, it was like did he just say what I think he said? And then you hear that that peppering of of laughter. Uh, of course Scott you know, didn't didn't give him any slack, and Scott said, there worse laughed. But uh and then since then, you know, there's been so much uh play of that at that clip on social media that it kind of doesn't seem like it's it's going away anytime soon. But uh, he was such a sweetheart of a guy. Sets of the Earth. We got in the back and he was just standing there by grilla position, and uh, you know, I tried to act like nothing happened. He goes, he goes, did you? And I citizen did you? It was kind of like, obviously I didn't do a very good job of of flying because right behind me was was Scott, and Scott you know, just yeah, had his time with it. So but uh, yeah, I remember it like it was yesterday. Thankfully. Yeah, thanks for the question. I'm actually a mile and so it was it was nice to think of Sid. Appreciate it, man, take care?
Speaker 4: Wait what what what would what do you say?
Speaker 6: He said? You know, I'm actually smiling because it was nice to think about Sid for a second. Oh okay, and we would be remiss to not point out what's the common thread between those two cameos that they both felt compelled at the end to say, you know, Sid was just a great guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right right, it's not. Well, listen, everyone whenever whenever someone dies, they're a great person.
Speaker 6: That's true, that's true. But I think the Pitler the same. Come on, ref get in there. But I think, uh now, I think they would have said it even if he was still alive in that vein, because he was a guy that.
Speaker 4: It seems like he was. It seems like everyone liked him. Yeah, it seems like he was a very likable individual, you know. And I agree, I agree with that comment. From what I know of Sid, that's alt of the earth comment. He doesn't feels like that kind of an individual.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think that's well put. But there's your confirmation. Okay, all that doesn't happen in Gorilla. If it was scripted, Nash doesn't remember it that way.
Speaker 4: If it was scripted, listen Nash, and listen, Nash is gonna fucking know absolutely all that Nash holds onto that kind of ship like it's fucking like with taki glue on his.
Speaker 6: Brain, members it like it was yesterday.
Speaker 4: Okay, you think we rested, Yeah, you know, that's one of that's a fucking nier. You don't forget Jesus Christ. What the the way he described I want to know. I want to know exactly what he does. I mean, obviously he must like he does. He's he's doing something before he does Cameos.
Speaker 6: Tativa, yeah, and Little Wine probably.
Speaker 19: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I love that. That's when he fucking chooses to do these things.
Speaker 6: I don't think there's honestly, I don't think there's a time where he's not in that situation.
Speaker 4: Sadly, no fifteen minute version, though I was kind of disappointed at the length when I saw it. I didn't hear it, I didn't listen to it, but I saw there was only two minutes or something like that.
Speaker 6: Right, he didn't ask him about cinema.
Speaker 4: That's the difference, That's true, A good point.
Speaker 6: That's when he really goes nuts.
Speaker 4: What he really knows about. That's his real education as post.
Speaker 6: Of the things he actually did.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just amazing, Just such a moment in time, So Sid, I mean, this this run is so full of like Sid class, It's like this run confirms everything we thought and what we heard about sin and that every day. Yeah, and before yes, he just ends up doing a whole lot of things like Okay, yeah, that is what this guy was and this is just amazing that this happened. And you thought we were going to rest with that half answer from Russo, No, we don't fucking stop.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, no, we need the really need the truth.
Speaker 6: And in the fashion of tlf X, why are we emboldened to do what it takes to go out and get those answers. It's because we know that the solar system is there as a backstop to make it worth our while and to provide the funding even to do that. These things aren't free, they're not prohibitively expensive, but it's the kind of things it's like, you know, we'll go the extra mile. We'll well, we'll pay that cost to answer that question for sure. We'll source that material, no matter how hard it is to dig up.
Speaker 4: I mean, especially because it's a great you know, uh, it's a great it's a great source. You know, the these I mean, it's it's it's almost like getting the interview at at a at a you know, like a wrestle coan.
Speaker 6: The way we go about it. It's the same thing. Yeah, because we go with an agenda where we don't expect to have more than five minutes of their time, so we come with questions that only our listeners would want us to ask, instead of asking the questions everybody else is going to ask them. But you know, good for them. It's great that they do, but that's not what we're here to do. That's not our highest and best use. So you're absolutely right. It's just it's just a brilliant way in on these guys and to get their perspectives. I mean, I think it's great. I think it really is because it's easy. It's easy as fuck for them to answer a question, you know.
Speaker 4: Right, right, it's been easy also easy enough for them to fucking collect a cup on our bikes exactly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's what I mean for them, for them, because that's how wrestlers think, right. It's like, how much can I be paid for the minimal effort? You know, It's not that I'm only going to put in minimal effort, but I do want to know what the going rate is on minimal effort before I calibrate how hard I'm going to work at project decks and so long, long may it continue. Thanks to your support thanks to uh Vincreu's and Kevin Nash there for the reflections on Sid, but that you know, we've heard from him, We've heard from Devon, We've heard from Brad Hart. There's always that thing at the end, you know, like Sid was great. Sid was great, So we have have to acknowledge that, even as we're kind of poking fun at some of the moments where he revealed the sight of himself that I think he'd rather have not. So we get to Halloween Havoc nineteen ninety nine and it's a long awaited Goldberg versus Sid Vicious match, highly anticipated. Like we said, sure sure, Son Ferrara had the book at this point in time, so it's going to be booked zanally and we want color. But here's the thing. Okay, Sid has never gotten color? What Sid has never gotten color? But they want color in this match. Why is he never got in color? It's a great question.
Speaker 4: But was he never get in color?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 6: As you brack your brain trying to picture a moment he did.
Speaker 4: No, I've never seen him bleed, I guess. Yeah.
Speaker 6: So you're watching Halloween Havoc ninety nine and way before the match even happens. All of a sudden, they start making reference to and they don't show it, but they make reference to Goldberg having attacked Sid in the back, which is very uncharacteristic of a baby face like Goldburg to just assault his opponent before the bell sounds. But for some reason, they're starting to tell us that there's been an attack backstage and Sid has been laid out, and the area where it happened. They point to some blood droplets on the ground. And then when Sid comes to the ring, he is he's cut and the juice is flowing a little bit. Oh boy, And you ask yourself, why is what are they doing here? Why does this prelude, this preamble to the long awaited Goldberg Sid showdown necessary? Well, it turns out, and he's confirmed this and shoot interviews. Sid was rather skittish about blading. He didn't want to do it. He didn't want to do it himself to himself.
Speaker 4: He I mean, I can't imagine anybody who would want to.
Speaker 6: Well that's true, I mean, but most wrestlers, if they're going to get color, would rather do it themselves. I think, then find some other way to have somebody else do it. We know the problems that can cause. There are some wrestlers who want the refs to do it. There are some wrestlers who just can't bring themselves to do it. We saw like Eric Kulass and Newjack. That's like the ultimate extreme where you know, you might piss him off and yeah he'll he'll get your color, all right, but I'll also take this opportunity to scar you for life because you pissed him off beforehand. All those X factors are introduced when you have a third party do it.
Speaker 4: I know, hey, I know, I know, big fan of.
Speaker 6: That coming to a Saturday Night's Made event near you by the way, is he really? I think so? I think he's un commentary for the show in.
Speaker 4: December, my fucking Christ.
Speaker 6: And you not hear that?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 6: Let's see Jesse Ventura right now? There are plans for Jesse Ventura on the show. Yeah wow, yep, soil see if it goes off, it doesn't, it's it's not reading like firmly confirmed yet, but yeah it was out there. So so what are we gonna do? How are we gonna handle this? Still? Like Goldberg hasn't experienced blaming, you know, he's never juiced, No, I don't think he's I don't think he's bled on purpose before in wrestling. I don't remember him ever juicing, and definitely not by this point. No time he juices is when he fucking puts his arm through a limo window and slices his tricycond half.
Speaker 4: That's the most blood you've seen out of him.
Speaker 6: So what do they who do they call? They call it a surgeon. They had a surgeon backstage to numb Sid's forehead and to cut his forehead with a presumably with a scalpel. Is that not, again, the most Sid fucking thing you've ever heard?
Speaker 4: I mean it is. I don't understand. Yeah, why.
Speaker 6: He just didn't want to do it to himself, But how.
Speaker 4: Does that work. He's supposed to be in a match.
Speaker 6: They did it backstage, so when he walked to the ring, he's already cut, and that's why they have to do this backstage angle ah where Goldberg attacks him, because it doesn't want to do it live on the fly, So they have to have a reason why he walks down to the ring already cut for an attack we never see. Can you imagine this surgeon be like all right, I mean you want me to do what guys like I have a lot to do here, Like, what do you want me to do to this guy?
Speaker 4: Sorry?
Speaker 18: Do you wait?
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, somebody injured? Doc? Come here? Somebody step in injured, I'm saying.
Speaker 6: Stepping here, stepping mark stipping my office?
Speaker 8: Doc?
Speaker 4: The fuck is going on here? Why?
Speaker 11: Well?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 4: So all right, So I understand I got called down. I told told is an emergency call. So I came down as fast as I could. What's Who's hurt? Who's hurt?
Speaker 6: I'm not hurt, but if you do your job correctly, I will be.
Speaker 4: But if you do exactly what I say. If you do exactly what I say, Doc, I will be here hurt.
Speaker 6: But that's kind of an ethical sir.
Speaker 4: I'm saying, Wait, you're not hurt, so you call me down to get you hurt. That's exactly right.
Speaker 6: But I know this stuff is fake and everything.
Speaker 4: But wait a moment. I'm sorry, Now, this is just just kind of get everything. This is You're you're a pro wrestler. Is that right? You're a pro wrestler. I am a professional entertainer, right, Okay.
Speaker 6: I am a professional entertainer of the said vicious story.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, but you get in the ring right and you do you do fake moves? Right?
Speaker 6: Oh? They sure, they sure know how to pick them. Not you had to get a doc like this for God's sake. You couldn't find one that could skip all this nonsense?
Speaker 4: Can you ever?
Speaker 7: Now? Doc?
Speaker 4: I want you to look me in the eyes. I want you to understand something that is real. Simple. Yes, what I do is fake. Yes, what I do is like a carnival. What I do is a joke.
Speaker 6: What I do is like a carnival, he says, awesome.
Speaker 4: But what I need you to do right now is as real as against all Right, Okay, I guess So what is it? What do you what exactly do you need me to do? I want you to take your scalpel and I want you to run it across my forehead. Excuse me, excuse me? What you don't want to take my scalpel and do what now?
Speaker 8: I want you to run it from one end of my head to the other and let the chrism crimson float down my face.
Speaker 6: Let the crimson. He's really clinical about it, is he? I want you to let the crimson run down my face.
Speaker 4: Dot sir, I'm sorry, I cannot do that. That is completely I want you to look at me in the eye, you stupid fuck.
Speaker 6: Is the game we play, your hand?
Speaker 4: The game we play is simple, dog, I told you what would do is simple. Give me your hand.
Speaker 3: Okay, ah Jesus, grab this scalpo.
Speaker 4: Okay, give me your head again. What are you doing? Stop it? Stop it? Stop?
Speaker 3: No, no, stop it.
Speaker 4: I'm putting you do this to my head? Do it?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Dad?
Speaker 14: What do you stop stop doing? Oh?
Speaker 9: God, sap, I didn't fuck what I'm out?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I'm calling my lawyer, boss, boss.
Speaker 6: Can I ask the question?
Speaker 3: Can I ask the question?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 6: I think you know what the question is. How is it that Sid is uncomfortable running a razor over his own forehead, but yet is comfortable grabbing another man by the wrist and having that hand cut his forehead with a surgical grade tool. And I just case, just in case, people got lost in the cacaphony there? What what exact sound does it make when the scalpel finally makes contact with the fleshy forehead of the revolutionary one? Well more time? Please? Sorry?
Speaker 4: So fine?
Speaker 6: So it's you know, it's a nice understated blade job.
Speaker 4: So it's wet.
Speaker 6: I mean, like the scalpel is like a mirror. That's how shiny it is, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's also like one of the sharpest fucking tools, right yeah.
Speaker 6: And that's how you open someone up for surgery. And it's cold.
Speaker 4: I mean, you wouldn't need to do it hard to get him cut open.
Speaker 6: There is a doctor out there somewhere in the world, and I hope he has hear she hasn't passed away. Who showed up at Halloween Havoc nineteen ninety nine was asked and did cut Sid's forehead open in the back purposely? He cut his forehead open. There's no medical justification for it. He just cut his head open. No Sid insist on being numbed first. It's just the most sidthling I've ever heard. To make a blade job this complicated, that you have to do an angle and you have to get like numbing agents.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's the best part. He has to fucking get. Like think about how fast Flair does it or I know anybody does it, And he needs to fucking have a whole scenario done exactly. And you wonder why these guys remembered it's such a pain in the ass.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And at some point, you know, it became about not whether it's necessary, but whether he's got the power to force everybody to do it. Yea, you know, whether he's got the sway to have it done his way. And once it becomes about that, he's never going to give up.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: So, as he told URF video, they came in early, numbed me, cut me. We did a little deal in the back where Goldberg would hit me, and they showed that that was like a little uncertain thing in the pay per view, and then went back sewed it up and then went back to the ring. So he so they cut it to grate the blood, and then they so the cut back up. Oh so then when he went back to the ring, all Goldberg had to do is hit the stitch a couple of times. So I don't know, I don't know what's what's harder. I don't know what's worse. I think I know, I think this is worse. I think it's worse to have someone cut you and have your opponent punch you hard enough for real in the cut that the blood flows again, versus just nicking your own forehead.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know. I mean, I don't I don't certainly want to nick my own forehead ever right on purpose, but at the same time, prolonging it like this and making it so much more difficult and troublesome.
Speaker 6: Just making someone just go up to your stitches and go like this, right, huh, right in the stitch. Sid, Yeah, yeah, sid, as he says. And then it didn't quite open up as much as they wanted to at first, and then they got me a couple more times. The referee did so the referee fucking bleed him anyway. I've never done that myself, he says. And so then it did open up, and I never saw it, but I know I called home that night. My family was in tears. It must have been pretty scary looking.
Speaker 2: And it is.
Speaker 4: It is there.
Speaker 6: The juice does flow. It takes a while, as he mentions, but they do like a big brawl, mostly around ringside and stuff. It's it's a very it's kind of like a non it's kind of like a non SID match. It's like a brody brawl. Yeah yeah, in a way. And the reason this blood is so hyper necessary, it's because for reasons I can only imagine, h Sid's not doing the honors tonight one two three, No, sir, he is not doing. They come up with this convoluted blood stoppage finish where the match ends. Goldberg has declared the winner, and he does look like a badass killer standing over the bloodied corpse of Sid after he punches him enough times in the head that the referee waves it off. On its face, it makes Goldberg perhaps look are stronger than a one two three. But as the match plays out, and as Sid pops back up from this beating, and Rick Steiner comes out, and they all stand around as Sid springs back up like a spring chicken from this beat down and starts walking up the aisleway and then acts like he's going to come back to the ring. And then Heenan immediately starts calling out how it wasn't a loss for Sid because the referee waved it off. Sid didn't quit. You can start to imagine, oh God, so the whole way of getting cut was not the only convoluted part of figuring this out. I don't think Sid showed up to the building with any intention of taking the jack camerra. Oh, of course, not any intention whatsoever.
Speaker 4: And so we end up with here he didn't have and he didn't obviously we don't we know he didn't have any creative control.
Speaker 6: Well, no, it's not in the contract, but yeah, but no, if he's willing a walk, he pretty much does, right. I mean, yeah, if they know that about the man, right, and to have heenan like force that point out there, to me, I don't know, just smacks of like a negotiated settlement with Sid, like, Okay, here's how we get the match in the ring, and we'll make short emphasize on television that you didn't actually lose to the man, because God forbid, that'd be the outcome. That would be ridiculous. And you know, Sid wasn't He wasn't derogatory toward Goldberg, but he wasn't necessarily complimentary either of a lot of the things he said in a shoot interview is I talked to him a few times about some things. And I'm not saying I'm right about this, but we were working together.
Speaker 4: He was hurt.
Speaker 6: There wasn't a lot he could do when he had a couple of moves that he felt comfortable doing. So I said, you know, I set up a few spots to where we came into them differently, into the spot differently like duck the clothesline or this or that or turn around, that he wasn't getting whatever this bump he was doing. He says, we already did that to me in the ring, and I think to myself, Wow, this guy's a little lost, because what do you mean we can't lock up more than one time? Can't do more than one headlock? To me, that's so juvenile. I'm not juvenile, but that's the wrong word. But he just wasn't experienced. He was the first to admit that though too okay. He was the first to say, Hey, I don't know what I'm really doing out here, and he still says that. He said that in the Who Killed ww Vice documentary as well. Goldberg, Yeah, I didn't know what I was doing in the ring, and that allowed a lot of people to a take advantage of me and be themselves in a dangerous position while wrestling me because he had no experience like I had or Hogan had. Sid says things like that Bill was really being taken advantage of from a lot of people that were able to take advantage of him. So he had that little worry. Maybe that was happening to him. When Sid would suggest certain spots in the body of the match. Sid says, I do remember one story. It's sort of funny, but this goes along with beginners. We were coming out of Detroit one time and this one thing, the finger thing, was first implemented the fingering. I don't know what he means by the finger thing, actually, so I was asking him, we were talking about that, and he says to me, Sid, you know, if I can just go one year or five years more without anybody kicking out of the jackhammer, I'll be Okay. You don't say that to Sid, do you, Boss. That's like Dean Malinko asked him if he can do a drop toe hold. Okay, you can't even ask Sid to take a drop toe hold or else he's going to come at you with. How about six power bombs in the middle and you don't move? How about that?
Speaker 4: Yeah? How about I fucking shove your head through the mat.
Speaker 6: He was such a nice guy and such a team player, right whenever anybody asks to get anything on him, he just doubled down on the squash nature of the finish. Ask van Hammer if you can find him about that. And here's the thing about Goldberg. If no one kicks out of the jackhammer for five years, Yeah, that would work. That would work. I know it's a lot for one guy, but it would work. Let's not pretend it wouldn't. So I'll be okay, I don't want to. I left myself, he says, Sid says, you want someone to kick out of that because that'll make money. You want someone to kick out of the jackammer. Oh God, here we go, right, Jesus Christ, what do you fucking exactly? Apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Jesus, that's the wrestling business.
Speaker 4: Like you convince people that you know that that's screwing them as a good thing.
Speaker 6: Correct, Correct that somehow there's this there are these mythical rules, this black magic about the wrestling business that I am able to into it, that you're not able to into it. Yet that makes the obvious absolutely not obvious. That makes the intuitive counterintuitive. That you know, in fact the op and every single time, for some reason, the rule always seems to skew in the favor of the person who's asking to get one over on me in the ring, and never in my favor, Never do I stumble into the mysteries of the wrestling business in a way that benefits me just so. So emblematic of WCW would happened to Goldberg and how incapable the superstructure was of adapting to the fact that he was the only thing they had that anyone gave a shit about by the end of nineteen ninety eight, and they just they killed the baby in the crib. They couldn't handle it, you know. It's like, wow, yep, it's literally like you know, a jealous like stepmom like strangling the baby in the crib. And so there we go. Another example of it which you want is someone to kick out of the jag camera. Oh, of of course, never thought of that because that's money. Yeah, it's money for you because now people want to see you wrestling me again. But I'm money no matter who I wrestle, so I don't give a fuck. It should be the next guy. Like, there's no more money in me wrestling Sid twice than there is in me beating Sid and then taken on another guy. Maybe there is, But the way they did this, this is what happens. This is what you get as a wrestling fan when you allow people to get this kind of surgical I guess you could say, with how things play out, did you get this nonsensical blood stoppage finished that Sid does not sell at all, and you just end up with like this messaging hitting you over the head that yeah, Sid lost the match, but Kmodi didn't really lose the match. So in other words, Boss fans are served by the ultimate showdown that they've been building all these months between Goldberg and Sid and WCW.
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 6: During this run as well, there was a nice little slice of moment, slice of life moment that we didn't really know what to make of at the time it happened. But there was a nitro not too far from Sid's hometown where Sid was led to the ring by a young man who appeared to have down syndrome or disability or some kind of developmental problem. And it was a Russo Nitro in late nineteen ninety nine. And it's just, I don't know, just a little something worth highlighting about Sid. The kid not to be his neighbor, Okay, a kid who lived next to him in West Memphis and and just was such a big Sid fan and just such a fan of being around Sid in the wrestling business. That Sid found a way to get WW to gree to let this kid walk him to the ring one time and do a backstage interview, and the kid was hilarious doing like faces. I say, kid. I'm actually not sure how old he was. He might have been like a teenager or even like early twenties. But it's a great moment if you can find that. It doesn't make any sense in context, like they don't really explain it, but Sid is just there. But it's nice to know, all those years later what the story was there, and that Sid just wanted to extend a hand and give a moment in the limelight to somebody that that he he thought deserved it and thought would get a real kick and thrill out of it. So Sid had a manager for one night, Boss and it wasn't Harvey Wipplman.
Speaker 4: It's bizarre.
Speaker 6: So we tip Burke can't just Sid. That's the part of Sid that does the pop tops of the church, you know, And yeah, all of that, you know, he was wherever you might say about how he conducted his personal affairs, he was a humanitarian. He did spend a lot of time when he didn't have to talking and thinking about out people other than himself or his immediate circle. Very concerned with like poverty and childhood, poverty and things, and he brought those things up enough over the course of enough interviews that I think it's a genuine part of who he was and not some put on like it all so often is when wrestlers find religion later in their lives, you know how that goes. It's really confusing with sid because a churchman, a churchman, you know, Saint Mary's Cathedral, pop Top, Vienna's all that. You would think he was like a lifelong Christian man from down that part of the country, but he wasn't. He was very straightforward in his interviews saying he was never religious growing up. You know, the man was born in Washington State on an air base and moved around a lot, and had a stepfather more than he had a father, it sounds like, and you know, he didn't really have like a very nuclear family life coming up in the world. So he discovered this kind of spiritual side of himself later on. And I just think every now and then along this journey, we need to dip our cap to that because that's the part of Sid, even if they shouldn't necessarily remember that part of him as much as they do forgetting everything else he did. Yeah, you know, it's hard to it's hard to call a guy who almost stabbed arnators and to death the great humanitarian. But yet that's where we are. Yeah, I know, that's kind of thing, like what the fuck right? You observe him week after week in his prime and it's like, no, this guy doesn't. This guy definitely didn't have the reputation of that. It's like the SID they're describing just was not evident to the wrestling fan while he was going through the machinations of his years on top and the companies he worked for. But that's wrestling. That's why it's worth engaging with shoot interviews and books and things like that, because you discover that the guy that you knew as a fan was like only half of the person that people in the business who worked with him and people who knew him personally actually remember. So we're locked and loaded on Sid now that the Goldberg programs out of the way, and now he's going to be on his way to being a world champion in WCW. As the nineteen ninety nine becomes two thousand, so weird ass. I've forwarded you a copy of World Championship Wrestling Magazine. We've taken care throughout the course of this Sid journey to use wrestling magazine coverage as sort of a signpost to where Sid stood and his respective pit stops and wrestling. He looked at one of the early WCW magazines when he was coming out of the Four Horsemen and how he was framed there. We looked at, you know, a Vince Russo written WWF magazine article where he's carrying on and on and kind of like a half shoot style outside of the Cheers Bar in Boston, you remember that bizarre and they had that focus issue of that magazine they used to do just on him where he talked about hunting and having taxidermy fucking deer heads on his wall and all that shit. So it's a great way to get to know more about the man. And here at a time when the ww magazine was helmed by former guest on the show, Kevin Eck, they took a much more kind of shoot style approach in that the stuff the wrestlers were saying in the pages of this magazine, were very rarely about the storylines they were involved in, and more about the legitimate nature of who they were and where they saw themselves in the business, and wanted to go very little in the way of speaking in k fabe. In the Kevin Eck WCW magazine Days and So here is an article that places us in a particular point in time where Sid justifies front coverage from page coverage in the WW magazine here in two thousand and Uh, it's a great way to turn the page into the new millennium for the millennium man, So Boston, if you could.
Speaker 4: Sid's world, Oh my god, that's horrifying. He's going to see his face like he's just like he's on uh oh yeah, he's on a four wheeler, all right, and he's just like his face is beat red and he has just got his mouth wide open, just screaming at the top of his lungs, and it's very uncomfortable.
Speaker 6: That's one thing. As camera friendly as he was, he was still camera friendly. He was still photo friendly.
Speaker 4: This guy.
Speaker 6: There's some money shots of him holding like the globe, like a psychled look on his face.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, he just he always looks fucking awful. He's very uh in a good way. Yeah, yeah, he's very photogetic. Twenty minutes northwest of Memphis International Airport, across the Mississippi River sits Marion, Arkansas, a quiet country town and the home of a WCW superstar. The setting seems rather odd for a man of sid vicious nature, but it's a peaceful and seemingly a world away from the hectic, violent world of professional wrestling. Here Vicious can hunt, ride his four wheeler, relax, and spend time with his family without interruption. The great thing about Marion is you're fifteen minutes away from Memphis, which is a big city with all the luxuries of life, says Vicious, who lives in the upscale River Trace section of Marion. He is a five minute drive from the Griffin gas station.
Speaker 6: Oh fascinating. Tell me more.
Speaker 4: Fuck cares a oh a minute down the road from the shake Shack. That's okay, all right, I'm with you on that. One and two more and it's from the Hallmark in All Rooms twenty nine ninety five. Vicious neat two story home sits in an exclusive neighborhood. The interior is conservatively decorated by Sid's wife, who owns an extensive doll collection.
Speaker 6: Oh boy, does she have any Sid dolls.
Speaker 4: Like you, Matt? Oh, just can you just imagine, like, you know, like one of those places where you get dolls like on the bed, like the guest room, and you get like dolls in the bed.
Speaker 6: And there's always a doll in the in the in the guest.
Speaker 4: And she's like, you know, she's she's moved the head so that the doll is like you're opening the door, and the dolls are looking at you. Even though the bed's not facing towards the door, the dolls are facing towards you, and.
Speaker 6: They all seem to be going.
Speaker 4: La la la la, la, la, la, la la la.
Speaker 6: Welcome to the Udi Home.
Speaker 4: An upstairs room houses Sid's office. He owns a computer and he has become familiar with the power of the Internet.
Speaker 6: Don't say.
Speaker 4: That's good, Jesus, what the same picture? And then I gotta zoom out here for a second. I don't know why this is May's Oh, I see what happened here? Never mind, it's you got double page. He recently purchased the right to sid vicious dot.
Speaker 6: Com doesn't exist.
Speaker 4: Anymore, of course not. He has keen. I'm sure it never existed. Actually I didn't. I'm sure never. He owned the the website, but nothing ever happened with it.
Speaker 6: There's a reason he puts it that way. I purchased the rights too, right. I spent a good amount of time in the way back machine, and I couldn't find anything at sid vicious dot com.
Speaker 4: I guarantee you there was nothing there. He has keen business since and wants to maintain control of his name and character.
Speaker 2: He is.
Speaker 4: His office also holds a tanning bed.
Speaker 6: Brother, he has a tanning bed in his office.
Speaker 4: That's weird. Of course he does stationary bicycle, isn't it just called an exercise bike.
Speaker 6: A stationary bicycle is also called a bicycle.
Speaker 4: It's also called a.
Speaker 6: I don't know, a statue, yeah, or a well what it ends up being in most cases a fucking clothes hanger.
Speaker 4: Exactly, and loads of memories packed inside photo albums. The backyard garden features tomatoes, peas, melons, beans, peppers, squash, okra, and corn. Often the goods are distributed to the areas poor yep. Also in the backyard is a swimming pool, rarely used by the man of the house. That's a so thank you for telling me that he lives in this big house and he wastes his pool.
Speaker 6: Here's my pool. I never go in it though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have a pool in the back, but I don't ever use it. I'm actually not a fan of pools. I don't allow them to be used by anybody in a batting cage. And of course he does and pitching machine that enables Vicious to indulge his long standing passion for softball.
Speaker 6: Awesome.
Speaker 4: He enjoys the sport so much that often he has been labeled a part time wrestler and a full time softball player right there in the company magazine. People say, I'd rather play softball than wrestling. That's ridiculous. Happy years ago was I had surgery and I couldn't and didn't quite look the way I did when I left, so I was told stay home to improve my shape. I did that, and since it was summer, I played softball. Before you know it, we're got out that I was out playing softball instead of wrestling. On another occasion, I was leaving the WWE for WCW while while I was waiting for my release from the WWE. I was in limbo job wise, since it was a summer, I played softball. I love softball, but I never plays at of wrestling or do anything that wasn't making a better future for my family. That doesn't make sense.
Speaker 6: So here we're going to introduce you to Sid's life, his home, his environment, and we're going to show you that it's batting cage. And then we're going to turn over three paragraphs to him right prevaricating about him.
Speaker 4: How he would never do anything to, you know, potentially damage his career.
Speaker 6: He offers the defense as well as the accusation right now, not even brings it up, launching it in his defense.
Speaker 4: Vicious about the pitching machine years ago for his son Frank, who uses the cage during the summer, often taking two hundred to three hundred cuts a day.
Speaker 6: It's only he take two hundred to three hundred cases a day.
Speaker 4: If only that piece of shit would take two hundred cases of vienn It's a goddamn cathedral. We're supposed to be fucking.
Speaker 6: Christian, right, They don't have enough for the pop top i like pop tarts And a related note, I understand the van has also come with the packs of crackers, water water, a moon pie. Sometimes eat moon pie. I want to tell you something, big secarette about moon pie. It's not from the moon.
Speaker 4: Do you know that?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 2: No, I do.
Speaker 3: I don't know that.
Speaker 18: He sent my church in case of Vienna sausages, and I sent him an autograph picture.
Speaker 4: It's like the biggest Like who gives a ship?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 4: Vicious? H I hope he was a fan. I don't remember, you know, like, I hope he wasn't a stranger. Who's like, where the fuck is this? Said Vicious? Listen I used to love Sid Vicious say goddamn sit Vicious. Oh man, I know side listen to dad damn records. Is this ship is blonde? Bitch? I know?
Speaker 6: Sid?
Speaker 4: He says, Vicious brought bought the pitching machine. Ears Oh yes, Frank.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 4: Softball is a little black wrestling. It's a team. It's all about the camaraderie, the competition, says Vicious, a powerful home run hitter who played for the Memphis Socks and other top level slow pitch teams.
Speaker 6: Let me ask you a question. When he says softball is a little like wrestling and says it's a team, what's he talking about? I feel wrestling is not a team at all.
Speaker 4: Wrestling is not about being Maybe maybe he's like breaking the fourth wall on KFE there. I don't know. I miss softball, he says, I always wish. So here he just yes three paragraphs later, three paragraphs after saying he'd write he would never choose softball over wrestling. I miss softball. I always wish I could have been able to play pro baseball. His favorite baseball team is the Saint Louis Cardinals. His all time favorite player is Babe Ruth. There's just something magic.
Speaker 8: About that guy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you saw him live so many times.
Speaker 4: You know when I go see Babe Ruth Wressell.
Speaker 6: Wait a minute, I'm doing the math. George Herman Ruth. That's his wrestling name.
Speaker 4: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 4: Today Vicious is an Atlanta Braves fan and regularly wears a New York Yankees cap.
Speaker 6: Okay, wait a minute, so hold on what So his favorite team is the Cardinals. But he's an Atlanta Braves fan who wears a Yankees cap?
Speaker 4: Right? Who were the Yankees? This guy does not know shit about baseball? All right?
Speaker 6: Well, I'll tell you he doesn't know about his preferences for baseball.
Speaker 4: Let me tell you some I want to tell you something. You can say whatever you want about me, but I don't know shit about baseball.
Speaker 6: That is a doozy of a paragraph right there.
Speaker 4: That really is. When he's not on the road, Vicious' day starts at six a m. But what's this? Wouldn't he normally do that too, like to get up and go to the gym before a show, I don't know, after his usual breakfast of ten egg whites, sweet potatoes, and coffee sweetened with honey. Frank, you get the honey. Why does that make me laugh so much? Because it's like the last person you'd think would kind of care about coffee that way.
Speaker 6: Exactly a little dollup, you know, Oh God.
Speaker 4: Frank, Frank, Frank, you usually last of the honey. Because I won the cupboard and I was looking for my honey, and you see that label says Dad's honey. Don't touch Frank. That's really good.
Speaker 6: But that's really good Dad's honey. I'm trying to remember how he said it was great, honey, don't touch, don't touch Frank. There's only one person in the house we try to touch. It's God, another son. He's got a daughter. No fucks so funny, Oh my god.
Speaker 4: He drives twenty minutes to a Golds gym in Memphis. He has a small gym in his garage, but he prefers the atmosphere and the friendships he's developed at Gold's. At Gold's, Vicious faithfully adheres to his routine. We developed goodworth ethic early in life. It's going to carry through the rest of your life. My sons, Frank and Gunner are fucking idiots, are the same way. Frank, fifteen is a straight a student. Gunner is six.
Speaker 6: So that's what all we can say about him at this point.
Speaker 4: So how does he he has a good work ethic at age six? That's where we're at. Okay, yeah, uh. Vicious takes a pessimistic.
Speaker 6: Uh oh, I don't like where this is going.
Speaker 4: Vicious takes a pessimistic approach to Frank. Go ahead, go ahead, finish the fact, often motivating his son by telling him he's not doing as well as expected.
Speaker 6: See, just when you want to say, like, that's the thing about Sid, he's a family man, like and then you read these little twists like this, like what you see him on Big Brother, his son. It's like this guy is like, oh my god, this guy is kind of a weird dad.
Speaker 4: I mean the fact that he picks on Frank. I mean, I you know, I mean, that's lap serendipity right there. We were expecting. Oh my god, I didn't expect that. I'll tell you what. I didn't expect to see him writing right all right, I know, like he clearly volunteered that with Bride for the author to feel comfortable putting in the article. Still, Frank maintains a ninety nine average. Don't accept anything less than one hundred, and he knows that.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, what's the quote against say it?
Speaker 4: So the writer goes Frank maintains a ninety nine average, Sid says, quote, I don't accept anything less than one hundred, and he knows that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that sounds fine, right, that's not like sign of trouble totally.
Speaker 4: I mean not only that, but it's a total. It's goals that are easily achievable. All right.
Speaker 6: I'm glad we agree with that, because I wasn't sure if I was on another planet for a second.
Speaker 4: Listen, what the fuck I mean, what do you expect? You get a hundred or you fucking get killed?
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Know, as we sit here and tribute to your father today, I do wonder what you think about this quote that he once gaves WW magazine. Frank, I want to tell you something. I'm speaking to you from the beyond. You get anything less than one hundred, I will bring you, drag you up here with me. Right.
Speaker 8: I'm watching you day and night. A none to nine, Frank, an nine is not acceptable. Do you know what the penalty is for a nine to nine?
Speaker 4: Frank?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So at least we're not taking it too far. That's what's good about the bits we keep it fenced in, you know.
Speaker 4: Right, we always we never crossed that line into inappropriate.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 4: Vicious often gets autographs for Frank from celebrities at WCW events.
Speaker 6: So are you saying?
Speaker 4: Who are you?
Speaker 6: Are you saying? He gets Frank an autographed picture.
Speaker 4: See I tell you this. When Frank delivers the Vienna's, I'll give him an autograph picture.
Speaker 6: First.
Speaker 4: The viennas.
Speaker 6: These little small penises in a can.
Speaker 4: Toddler Cox in the camp.
Speaker 6: I mean, of all the things, you know, if it was can soup, we would have anything.
Speaker 4: To say nothing, you know what I mean? The fact that it's like the most the most just bizarre, randomly canned meat. Okay. Also, by the way, celebrities at w w VNS, what well.
Speaker 6: I mean, I can think of maybe Gene Simmons or Master p.
Speaker 4: Or Jason Hervey. That what we're going for it is upstanding people such as former North Carolina basketball coach Dean Smith, who vicious wants Frank to admire. Okay, I'm gonna tell you who you'd mar, Frank. All right, you're doing people on your own choice. You environ our people that I say are appropriate.
Speaker 6: Son, Do you see that coach on the screen there?
Speaker 4: You see that dumb fuck right there, that's who you'd meyer.
Speaker 6: It's the guy I just called the dumb fuck. That's who you admire. He calls him a dumb fuck? Why does he call him a dumb fuck?
Speaker 4: We'll never know?
Speaker 6: So awesome, Oh good, he's supposed to be good. Like, why did you call him a dumb fuck? And then you didn't like him? That would be a sad thing. He'd like, I want, I want you to pat it in yourself after this absolute loser. So he totally confuses the kid who thinks he's doing just fine.
Speaker 4: You know, Yeah, Vicious doesn't drink or smoke and expects his kids to also avoid those habits. I think I'm a good father, but sometimes I wonder if because I'm so hard on my kids, they don't know how I really feel about them.
Speaker 6: Oh well, I guess he's powerless to do anything about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: Vicious never has attended Frank's school related events the Reporter, and has attended only one of Gunners.
Speaker 6: Who's counting, though, But who's counting?
Speaker 4: Frank? How does that makes you feel?
Speaker 6: They're all sitting around doing the interview for the magazine.
Speaker 4: I bet you know I went to Gunner's event, Frank.
Speaker 6: How does that make you feel? This is a kid, I'm big brother. You have to remember this picture of Frank you and his face on big Brother? It said looking at him? How does that make you feel?
Speaker 4: I want I want you to hear something come out of my mouth. It's real simple. And you look me dead in the eye.
Speaker 6: This is a weird dude. I don't care, man, because.
Speaker 4: What I'm gonna say is going to hit you in the head like a shot. I will never ever go to a school event for you.
Speaker 6: School related event, school related event, I have never and I will never attend one of your school related events.
Speaker 4: I will never go a football game, I will never go to wrestling match. I'll never go to your graduation, but I will go to owners.
Speaker 6: Is that because the game we play?
Speaker 4: Does that make you feel Frank?
Speaker 6: Is that because the game we play is real simple?
Speaker 4: Because the game we play is real simple? I want better for you then I have myself.
Speaker 6: You know Sid loves you when he treats you like shit, that's lead.
Speaker 4: Usually he's on the road, but he also skips events when he is home.
Speaker 6: No way, ross Forman's having some fun at Sid's expense. Here, there's this, there's too much double entendres going on here.
Speaker 4: Because he doesn't want to be a distraction. Vicious is adamant that his sons not brag about their dad and attract attention they don't need. Yet, he says, Vicious also finds time for his three dollars. I won't find time for my son, but I will find time for my dog.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 6: Well, they just finished several paragraphs saying how he doesn't find time for skids, but this paragraph begins. Vicious also finds.
Speaker 4: Time finds time for his three by also finds time. Doesn't find time before, but you're just say. But he does find time for his three dogs, Buddy Rotwiler, Baby Labrador, and Betsy mixed breed. And he maintains a gun collection.
Speaker 6: Oh I knew that was coming.
Speaker 4: It is an avid game hunter. Vicious of life is in all roses. No shit, haven't hurt any at all yet. The picture of the Internet and dirt sheets have painted of him over his career isn't pretty A drifter. Most of his wrestling career, Vicious has wrestled in many promotions. In addition to his work in WCW, He has had stints in the WWE and e CW. Those who spread the rumors and gossip rarely no Vicious, so he doesn't let the words bother him.
Speaker 6: Rumors and gossip that he walks out on companies. That's what he does. That's obvious.
Speaker 4: So I've never read wrestling newsletter and never will because wows brought up in this business. Dirt sheets are just that, dirt sheets. They're just someone's opinion who never's wrestled, and they're judging you by their opinion, not a knowledge. Those people haven't run a promotion, been on the road three hundred days a year or done anything of the sort.
Speaker 6: Now, where are the dirt sheets being written by Bill Watts and three other people who meet the criteria?
Speaker 4: I know exactly where the people who who would totally fucking not share the truth or share facts because it doesn't make them look good.
Speaker 6: Why don't successful wresting promoters just turn around write dirt sheets. That's a reasonable expectation.
Speaker 4: Dirt sheets are for people who aren't really sure about who they are, where they stand this business. They look for approval, Okay, okay, maybe they just look to share information.
Speaker 6: Maybe, like I don't know, if someone praises him for a job well done, they like to read about it. Yeah, as opposed to like I never want my kids to ever think they did a job well done.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 6: Crank that softball too, I know.
Speaker 4: Look at that seriously, I'm really hoping you know, what I think and I'm praying is that the ball is actually hanging by a thin thread and that he's posing there.
Speaker 6: Photo that's got to be his backyard batting cage.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, for sure. I mean it also looks like I don't know, I mean, you know baseball better than I do, and kind of like this, but doesn't look like he's in the right position to be like, because it looks like he's a little too close to the fence there. Yeah, I guess you're right.
Speaker 6: You know, that's not a matter of baseball, that's just a matter of like depth perception.
Speaker 4: Really, I mean, I don't I don't know. I mean, I'm just because like, don't you know. I know, I know that they obviously had the fencing and stuff like that, but like it seems like this fence is very it's it's very tight compared to what I mean. No, he probably doesn't have like a crazy ass batting cage like you see at at like parks and whatever. But I don't know, it just seems an odd.
Speaker 6: Photo, very interesting to me.
Speaker 4: Oh sorry, Uh they're looking forward.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 4: Vicious, his latest in WW has proved most of his critics wrong.
Speaker 6: Really.
Speaker 4: He had a memorable match with Goldberg at Halloween Havoc. He bled so profusely from a facial cut that he called home to assure his family he was okay, and he's one of the most popular men in the company.
Speaker 6: Okay, great paragraph said, not reading the dirt.
Speaker 4: Right, certainly not that's him trying to fucking that's him trying to look at his own website under construction.
Speaker 6: Uters looked like that.
Speaker 4: Look at that monitor, oh man, I yeah, sure, I mean that was high tech.
Speaker 6: The curvature of the screen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's like a tvue. You know, it was a tube uh style monitor, fucking heaviest shiit amazing. Remember how fucking heavy those things were.
Speaker 6: And we thought we had the world in that boss. Yep, yep, that's all we needed.
Speaker 4: I you know, I remember. It's so funny, like you remember my my old editing computer that i'd bring to college, and that thing was so fucking big, so fucking heavy, it was huge. It was huge. Now I've got a thing I can carry with one hand, and it's more and it's four times as powerful. I don't know, so crazy.
Speaker 6: It's progress, for sure. I'm just not sure it's better.
Speaker 4: We'll see, Yeah, we'll see. But Vicious doesn't consider himself a celebrity. Wrestling is just a career step for him. It's hard for me to ever think of myself being a celebrity. No one here really looks at me as looks looks looks me as a celebrity. But yet he doesn't want his sons to brag about him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't get it. What are they going to brag about it if you're not a celebrity.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's funny. I can go down to a convenience store and the clerk will ask what are you doing? To Marion at Arkansas? I understand. So if he's not a celebrity, no one here looks at you as a celebrity, then why would they ask you what are you doing in Mary in Arkansas? I mean, are they saying you look like a fucking New Yorker or something, and like why are you here?
Speaker 8: Maybe?
Speaker 6: Maybe it's maybe it's the Yankees.
Speaker 4: Hat maybe seriously, or or the or the Cardinals had for that matter, either one. No matter what anyone else thinks, Vicious is proud of his wrestling career.
Speaker 6: Geez the bat.
Speaker 4: I don't sure what anyone says. I am proud. I know that Dave Melcher says, I'm not proud, right, It's pretty much what he says.
Speaker 6: It's got to be so hard to like pretend that you don't know what the newsletters say about you, but at the same time make your whole identity about being not what people say, you are.
Speaker 4: Like seriously saying, no matter what anyone else thinks, if he didn't read the fucking dirt sheets, he wouldn't know what they thought and wouldn't care.
Speaker 6: Right, He definitely wouldn't like have this part of his identity. That's about, you know, proving that stuff wrong. Right, This whole thing is like for no reason, just like negative. You know, people forget this about sid like they act like because so many years passed from this till his death that people forget that this was like the prevailing like feeling about this guy, the prevailing sentiment. Right, even the House magazine can't ignore it.
Speaker 4: He has come a long way since he first stepped into the ring. When I first started wrestling school, that's what it says. When I first started at wrestling school, Oh yeah, that's where you go to learn wrestling, right, I remember thinking, Man, I wonder what it will take to get to that top spot. I don't think I'm at Hulk Hogan's level. No, I'm not a big movie star.
Speaker 6: Oh god.
Speaker 4: Greater, it said, But I think I'm in a good position for someone who started out maryon Tech Arkansas. That's kind of talking low of Marrion Arkansas a shot. Yeah, Vicious expect to be involved in wrestling for a long time. His body will eventually prevent him from competing, and he is making provisions for when that time comes. He sees himself in a managerial role. I know I can go another three or four more years, and I know I can work and talk. I really think that I have some knowledge of this business. I know how to create characters, and I know some of the things that work.
Speaker 6: This guy, this guy has been trying to talk himself into a booking job ever since he was a rookie in the business. And it's just not gonna, can't not gonna happen.
Speaker 4: Dude, this is what he says here. Okay, I know how to create characters, and I know some of the things that work.
Speaker 6: You're right. He is this way of like saying things where he just takes all the air out of his own point. You know, Like, tell me about your kids, Well, I don't accept that they do anything. Well, it's like you to tell me about do anything.
Speaker 10: Well.
Speaker 4: Number two, I won't let them do anything well. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he leaves that part out too often. Yeah. One time, by the time was rounding third for an inside the park home run and I jumped over the fence to tackle him so he couldn't do it.
Speaker 1: He's the Lapstan Wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the Lapsed Fan. He's the Lapsed Fan Wrestling podcast with Jack and Carnaco and JP Sorrow.
Speaker 4: One time I saw Frank he hit the ball out of the park. He started running around, and when he got to third base, I said, fright, turn around, don't store turn around. I'll kill you.
Speaker 6: Ship no under the cops showed up, I'll kill you. Where did he say that? Okay?
Speaker 4: At Rumbled ninety two, at Logan at the very end, he goes, go bad, go bad. Yeah, did they come on again?
Speaker 6: Please let's go said, it's a tribute to l f X.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: He's definitely the guy that like driving home from the game. Does he have a catch?
Speaker 4: Son?
Speaker 6: Let me ask you a question. Why don't you pop up and throw the third immediately? Oh Dad, why didn't you do it? Why he's looking at him in the rear view, locked in immediately pissed laser vision. No respect for the fact the kid pulled something off, Like it's every every compliment it's like, okay, here comes you know.
Speaker 4: You wait, you wait. I appreciate it. I thought you made a good catch out there, Frank, really good catch. But you think you threw hard enough? Why don't you do hard enough to get the ball third base?
Speaker 6: And this, this, this present is to Dad from the boys. Here you go. Oh man, you guys are too much.
Speaker 4: Wow, God, I shouldn't have done this right now?
Speaker 6: What a beautiful sweater. Now, let me ask you a question. What might he ask for us?
Speaker 4: It's a beef for sweater. Let me ask you something that's real simple.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 6: It gets quiet on Christmas morning in the Udi home when he start.
Speaker 4: Do I ever wear sweaters? And do you think I'm gonna wear sweater from you? Well?
Speaker 6: That I just I thought that maybe.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that's what I think is sweaters, especially sweaters from you. Now we'll put in the fire too.
Speaker 6: He makes them burn the sweater and stand there and look at it that they picked out for him. They're like, ten, I.
Speaker 4: Want you and you know what you want to know something? You guys give me a sweater for Christmas? When I don't wear sweaters, I'm taking all your presents back. In fact, you know what put him on the fire? Do you not even know me.
Speaker 6: Put him on the fire? There goes a tycho truck melted.
Speaker 4: I don't know why.
Speaker 6: I don't know why the guy to get more respect, you know, I'm like really sad. Actually right now, I actually can't hand my hand on it what you're saying at all, because I don't know. I didn't when I handed to the reins, I just thought it would be like some kind of like why'd you get me a large? But no, he turned into I'm taking all your presence back, know what forget to throw them on the fire right now? He gets up there, he gets okay, Then he gets up and the way I want you to know, the way they look at their own toys burning in the fire, is the same way he looks at the undelivered Viennas, just.
Speaker 4: Standing there staring at it, realizing they didn't deserve them. And he gets up. He goes in the kitchen. No, he grabs the turkey and just frozen on the floor.
Speaker 6: Don't get pa the wrong thing for Christmas? All right, just don't do.
Speaker 4: It fucking Christmas. He kicks the turkey. Yes, it is right, I want you Gonner get on your goddamn Christmas. This is way too far.
Speaker 6: Hold on, eat your Christmas turkey, he says, he calls it Christmas turkey. That's creepy, that's really creepy, your Christmas turkey.
Speaker 4: And then he just leaves. He leaves and doesn't come back until late at night. So, you know, Christmas at the.
Speaker 6: You know, I always live in fear of getting an email like from from like one of them saying you know you joke, but actually more afraid of that than them like taking them bread.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 6: Well, thanks to WW Magazine and the intrepid journalism of Ross Foreman.
Speaker 4: For the Oh my god, into sid Psyche.
Speaker 7: What was that?
Speaker 4: Also looking at look at waiting the fucking baseball hat backwards like an.
Speaker 6: All the time man, no awareness of the fact that it makes most like a twelve year old boy.
Speaker 4: He looks for someone who was like, she just doesn't look okay, you know right, also wearing his fucking champion T shirt tucked into his jeans, or.
Speaker 6: Someone who was so preoccupied but like looking the part, you know, wouldn't even go on ro if he had didn't get a pump on or whatever, you know, wouldn't come back to w CW until he was a full mountain of muscle. He certainly doesn't worry about how he looks in a little boy's hat all the time.
Speaker 4: By the way, uh. One of the captions for one of the photos. Tossing a football is one of many activities that Vicious enjoys in his time away from wrestling. Tossing a football.
Speaker 6: Sid Well, I see this here, Ross, this is an American football.
Speaker 4: So well, I have here see you? You know football? Are you aware of the sport? Yeah?
Speaker 6: I know, football?
Speaker 4: Is said, So I like to do you when I come home? He's just throw a football.
Speaker 6: Did he say, hold on, I can't let you not get recrded for this? Did he say are you aware of the sport? What he said? Are you aware of the sport? Because he says it almost like he's trying to be accommodating, but there's still like condescension in it. You know, It's like how a priest talks to somebody. You know, it's like a lot of judgment in there, but he's he's making it seem like an honest entreaty. You know, are you are you aware of the sport? It's like, what do you think I am? Fucking brain dead.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 6: Like I'm from Bangladesh. Yes, I know where football is.
Speaker 4: Everybody in the globe knows about American football.
Speaker 6: I like to toss this thing around.
Speaker 4: That's what I do.
Speaker 6: Spare time.
Speaker 4: I tossed things in my my spared time. Sometimes I toss. Oh well.
Speaker 6: I shouldn't. I shouldn't. You know who else tosses things in the spare time Atterson?
Speaker 4: Oh good, So.
Speaker 6: It is tremendous. And we thank him for his candor, uh, for his service, and for his guidance to parenting. I here in the pages of magazine. So this is two thousand. Man, you thought it was weird before, We're just getting weirder. So to revisit, recall that Brett won the title at Stark ninety nine. Yes, and then I defended it a couple times, had the match with Terry Funk on Thunder we talked about and then went out with a concussion that later caused the well cause the memory loss and all the all the real serious issues for bretton he they would, for all intents and purposes, never wrestle again. So we got to figure out something to do with the belt. Brett vacates it, yeah, and retires nine months later. And here's Vince Russo in his book about the position to put him in his ww booker at the time. What if Sid outlasted twenty six other opponents and a thirty to forty five minute span he's talking about like a battle royal idea?
Speaker 4: What the fuck?
Speaker 6: Yeah, he went to like a royal rumble. Okay, what if Sid was in the ring alone, battered, beaten, hurt, bloodied. Well, that's going to be a long negotiation, Vince. Yeah, exactly, worn out, tired and dead on his feet when the last competitor made his way out to the ring. What if that last competitor was a fresh, hungry lion looking to make a name for himself in the wrestling business. What if that competitor was a shoot fighter by the name a Tank Abbot. Well, again, let's get back to what if this were real? If this were what if? Yeah, that's a big one, Vince, that's not his minder. If this were real, almost nothing we do would make would would make any sense. If this were real, Tank Abbott would have hit the shocked Sid one time and send him sailing over the top rope. Then, much to his surprise and everyone else's. Tank g Abbott would have been standing in the center of the ring do w c W World Heavyweight Champion. That's what would happen if this were real. Okay, So if this were real, Okay, So this is what he's saying. If this were real, Tank would get in the ring and punch Sid so hard he'd fly over the rooms. Just think how ridiculous that is. First, imagine this idea that like you leave your feet like that.
Speaker 4: When you get punched.
Speaker 6: Fucking hilarious. He hit the ground like a sack of potatoes. He wouldn't go over the top rope. It didn't make any sense I now.
Speaker 4: Not at all.
Speaker 6: Then, much to his surprise and everybody else's. Okay, I already read that. That's what would happen if this were real. Terry, he's talking about Terry Taylor, Bill, he'sund about Bill Bush and whoever else was there, digested it, tweaked it. What do you say?
Speaker 20: Oh?
Speaker 6: I think I failed to copy the rest of this. Let me get this back here. Sorry, everybody, brother, this is not what What did you get me again?
Speaker 4: Terry?
Speaker 6: Why don't we visit with Trump pulling this up? Visit with Sid going over a ninety eight that Frank got in a math test in tenth grade.
Speaker 4: Frank comes home from school, right, and it's like, you know, it's it's it's a little bit later, you know, think about it during it's like winter, and so it's you know, he comes back here like some kind of practice or whatever. And so he's back home like maybe five o'clock, so it's dark outside, no lights on in the house, comes inside, enters, the door, closes, the door. Did you get ninety eight on tesst Yes? And then click and the light turns on. And there's fucking Sid sitting in his chair waiting for Frank to come home, waiting for him to come home. Oh, do you want letter graded to a ninety eight?
Speaker 8: Is?
Speaker 4: Do you know today?
Speaker 6: Plus?
Speaker 4: Dad? Is it one hundred?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 4: And what I want you to do right now is I don't want you to go outside. You walk back to that school and you walk back to that teacher and you tell him I'm gonna take this test again, yes, until I get a hundred yes that it's it's not five point thirty. Then there's nobody. I don't care. You shut up now, you get out there. You come back to the school and you don't come back here until you get a hundred? Do you understand me, Frank, Yes, sir.
Speaker 6: Shut up, listen, listen. I don't know if you should know this, but that works every time I walk around in my head.
Speaker 8: Just shut up.
Speaker 6: It's just the funniest ship. Oh my god, it's so great. All right, tweaked it and then said, let's do it. Okay, Remember every.
Speaker 4: Every terrible.
Speaker 6: I heard, guys are tweaking the script.
Speaker 4: Dude, it's a what.
Speaker 6: Well terry, you know, we talked it over and we did some tweaking.
Speaker 4: What what what do you mean tweaking? Dude? I don't tweak anything. What like I'm tweaking right now? Brother, I'm healthy.
Speaker 6: What there's always that's always like, you know, his thing? Like you know, everyone else in the room wanted to make Booker champion. Everyone in the room was okay with it. Let's do it, they all said, According to Russo, could they have had reservations and been afraid to speak up?
Speaker 4: Maybe?
Speaker 6: And that's cool to this day, I take full responsibility for that decision, and we'd do it again tomorrow.
Speaker 11: Bro.
Speaker 6: Where did we go from there? Who knew we weren't going to figure that out tonight. Actually, he never liked that question, well, where is this going? He did not like that because he did not think that way, and that is why there was always a ceiling on what he could achieve in wrestling. We weren't going to figure out tonight, but I had enough confidence in my writing ability to know that we would have taken it where it needed to go. All you have to do is listen to the fans. So let's book tank Abbot to win the belt. See if it works, you go with it.
Speaker 4: If it's so, you listen to the fans. So the fans wanted tank Abbot.
Speaker 6: That's what he's saying. Yes, he's saying, the fans want what I want, And if the fans don't want what I want, then I'll I'll change and pretend that they want something different than what they wanted before. Not they wanted something different than me all along. Right, Okay, so now he's gonna be oh, sleep with the one.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 6: Bill starts the conversation by saying, Vince, is it true that you're gonna put the WCW world title on tank Abbot? Vince, you can't do that. So he's got all this context about okay, the sabotage. Okay, Somewhere in this mess a meeting was set up by Bill Bush. You would also be attending between myself, Hulkgan, and Ric Flair to discuss where we plan to go with their characters. Remember, at the time, Hogan and Flair were off TV as we were strategizing a way to build for a monumental return that would position them in the appropriate way at that point in their careers. And that plan was already in gear. Slowly but surely, we were eliminating the major players from WCW. I know what the timesting was on Hiatus. Blah blah blah. This is irrelevant talk about a work Are you kidding me? Your what if that show isn't scripted? Blah blah blah. So the morning of the Big Pow Wow, which was the day after we came up with the Tank game plan, I got a call from Bill Bush. Bill starts the conversation by saying, Vince, is it true that you're going to put the WCW world title on Tank Abbot? Vince, you can't do that. Okay. So, so it's not bad enough that the restlers are bookers, but now we have our first accountant turned booker. No, I was smarter than that. Bill Bush didn't know Tank Abbot from Bud Abbot. Obviously, sometime between Thursday night and his Friday morning phone call, somebody had gotten to him. You see how this stuff works, Bro. Now, if I'm in Tony Soprano, there's a rat in the ranks, and Sylvia and PAULI are doing a strip search looking for wires. But in my heart of hearts, I didn't believe that. I believe that somebody in that meeting told somebody in passing what we planned on doing at that Sunday's pay per view. That somebody then probably told one of Bill Bush's minions, who in turn couldn't wait to tell Billy Bones. Then Bush, who really didn't have a clue about wrestling and really didn't care for that matter, gets worked into a frenzy by this said minion until he's convinced that this one angle, Bro is going to bring down not only WCW, but TBS, TNT, CNN, the Atlanta Braves, Ted Turner, Jane Fonda, Jane's co stars and nine to five, Lily Tomlin and Dolly Parton, and last but not least the entire chain of Ted's Montana grills.
Speaker 4: What is he talking about.
Speaker 6: Saying that's instant to take tank abb At the world champion. Everything Ted Turner own will go to zero in terms of value, Thus the frantic phone quality that his wife will go to zero. Basically at that point, I didn't even try to explain the angle to Bush. Maybe I should have, bro but at the time the whole notion was ridiculous. So I told Bill that I'd see him later and we talk about it. At that point, I hung up the phone, picked it up again and.
Speaker 4: Called my attorney. Do we need to go any further?
Speaker 6: Not on this episode, But that's that's that's where Sid is finding himself insinuated, and so is mentioned. By the time everything gets reconstituted and reshuffled around, and the plan to you know, crown a new WCW champion after Brett Hart had to relinquish, goes from tank Abbot beating Sid in a battle royal. It goes to, well, let's finally push Chris Benoir because, as you've referenced, Benoit and his compadres and what would soon be the radic Coals were making it very clear that the ouster of Vince Russo and the replacement of him with Kevin Sullivan was not a tenable situation for them, and so in a last ditch attempt essentially to prevent an exodus of this talent, which you know, by the way, anyone who acts like WCW didn't really know how valuable these guys were, has to look at the fact that they fucking made ben Wall the world champion without any logical reason because they were that desperate right to prevent it, makes ben Wa the champion in an apparent olive branch to get ben Wata stick around, and so on January sixteenth, two thousand, in Cincinnati, Ohio, Chris Benoit applies to Crippler cross face after a match, not unlike the Fall Brown ninety nine match we talked about last time. In the process, Sid's foot is under the bottom rope, but the referee does not see that foot and registers the tap out from Sid, who apparently is just lost clean to Chris ben Water a crown, a new WCW World champion. And here is that we'll about to find out.
Speaker 4: I'm sure he agreed with that. I'm sure he totally agreed with that.
Speaker 6: Here is Sid in a shoot interview talking about how this all came together.
Speaker 18: I didn't even know what until the day before the day of the match to Terry Taylor was an agent. Time told me that in the gym, and I was really upset for the first app set. But I was, you know, confused and a little pissed off thinking now, two things. One we know this rumor about the assigned petition trying to you know, start whatever. That just doesn't go in this business. The other two is, no, Chris is a help, hard worker, but he's never going to be a big money draw and so fun to take the belt off me and I have say, put it on someone better.
Speaker 13: I thought that was a mistake. Yeah, and you're staying and he's leaving right, Yeah, And I'm there.
Speaker 18: You know, I'm doing everything the company's assle I'm not trying to start my own union for my own petition of people that you know, I only want this guy to work here because he only does good things for us. Of the whole thing was they it was him, Ben law, Malinko, Perry Satter, and Shane Douglas. I might have been a ble man as he was all these smaller guys that are never going to beak the potential of the big guy. They wanted that spot and through russo they were going to get because you and that was his that was his link in trying to.
Speaker 13: Keep his job. Yeah, he had that you know that, no uh following, but it didn't work out.
Speaker 6: So instead, in ben Wan Guerrero's case, at least they just went to WWF and became those guys, right right, Fine, So that's that's all you need to know about Sid's mentality about the whole thing. It's I first, size first, and but it goes down the way it does. And you have to give him credit for well doing as close to a clean job as I think you could expect to get out of the man at the time. Sure, Kevin Sullivan was basically booking at the time, which is the problem. And he reflected in an interview with Hannibal one time about what it was like in this circumstance and others to work with Sid.
Speaker 11: I had a wonderful relationship with Sid Vicious. If you told Sid straight up what was going to happen, he would go along with it as long as you'd been bullshit him. I mean, he put ben water over for me in the middle of the ring with the cross face, and he didn't want to do it.
Speaker 4: He did not want to do it.
Speaker 11: I mean I was in the room. I went to the room with him and me by myself with him, and we talked, and he had every reason in the world to tell me why he didn't want to do it. I said, well, it's this kid's time, and he said, I'll do it. And he could have went to somebody else and some of his haifaction, not just Eric, he could have went and maybe would have been overturned. But he was to me easy to work with.
Speaker 6: I'd love to know who he's referencing this. That Sid could have gone to his other faction. I'm not sure that was a reference, right, But yeah, So as far as Kevin was concerned, he took a little bit of convincing, but Sid agrees to uh to do it.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think when push came to shove at this point in his career, Sid, while he was going to be a pain in the ass, would not walk out over things anymore because that was that money was too good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Oh for sure, I can't. I mean, you wouldn't want to walk out of that fucking contract.
Speaker 6: But he did get a finish where there's foots under the rope for Christ's sake. So right, let's not pretend it was clean in the middle like you said it was. It was so far away from the middle that Sid's foot could in fact reach the rope. So that's what happens. It sold out. We turned the page to the next night, January seventeenth, two thousand, nitrosen Columbus, and the first thing they tell us on the broadcast is that Chris Benoa, who just won the world title last night on pay per view, has in fact been stripped boss of that championship. And he's been stripped because Sid Vicious's foot was under the rope at the time of the submission. And so the I guess the championship committee reviewed that fact and made the title change null and void. We are never to see Chris Benoa or Eddie Gerro or Malinko or Perry Saturn in WCW ever again, wow, and we have to plug the hole. So the next week on Nitro, the January twenty fourth, two thousand, Nitro from La Sid first has to climb a huge mountain to qualify for a world title shot.
Speaker 1: He's a lapsed fall wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the Lapsed Fan. He's the Lapsed Fan Wrestling podcast with Jack and Carnacio and JP Sorrow.
Speaker 6: I'll give you three guesses of who he has to defeat in a handicap match to get the right to face Kevin Nash for the belt and the main event of this nitro.
Speaker 4: Lash.
Speaker 6: LaRue No, I think it's something that will really draw ratings in two thousand.
Speaker 4: Ah, David Arquette, no, oh fuck it.
Speaker 6: The Harris Twins, huh. They come up with a thing where Sid has to beat Ron and Don Harris and a handicap match first before beating Kevin Nash and the main event.
Speaker 4: To become I hate the Harris Twins.
Speaker 6: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: I never understood why, just why why? You know, when they were the Blues, that's.
Speaker 6: When you know Jared's got some stroke when they're in and it's not to anyone's benefit. So yeah, the week after they take the belt off, or at least announced ben one ever really won the belt. The very next week, this is the plan. In La No Less Los Angeles, Sid is going to beat the Harris Brothers and then he's going to face Nash and the main event for the vacant title. And indeed that's how it plays out. And all of a sudden, despite all this craziness and Sid being just a complete you know NPC in this whole thing, this is what happens Texas.
Speaker 3: See if the hold is legally not a kill called and a lot.
Speaker 21: Of common it's on Kevin Naxas states now and he may be account away for winning the world title.
Speaker 16: Oh no, no, he's alive, guys, very much so, Bob Sama breaking the corner.
Speaker 10: It was a great mode by Sid to back up into the corner, but he had no idea that Charles Robinson was there and the referees down.
Speaker 3: And out and now Ship kicks us one in the high deal with thought her good but the big book. But coming on the rock, Sid, yeah, ky legs up doing the right thing.
Speaker 4: Doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: There's nothing good come yea, but he should keeps the pressure on. You're right, hold on up peter him like a drama answer.
Speaker 4: But he's our commission, guys, Nash stuffy.
Speaker 3: Wrestler line for the world title.
Speaker 6: It's gonna call Terry Funk Wyatt.
Speaker 3: Earth Sibbcious, he's never what better has home? Here comes the US tamp jip Jack.
Speaker 2: Remember the power bobbier has been out loud.
Speaker 3: And Jack gets himmocked.
Speaker 4: Here he does this name that too?
Speaker 3: Gets what? Sid goes down? What's he doing here? Happened to say? I think he may be playing possum. Guys, you maybe he just lord him. I understand, I understand what's going on. You see the guitar. Sid's making the referee believe he got hit with the guitar.
Speaker 8: What up?
Speaker 6: What breathing?
Speaker 4: And he's he's gonna chip the lord.
Speaker 3: He's gonna cover Ken.
Speaker 15: Said, he are smarter than he has He are smarter. Do you see that you are smarted?
Speaker 4: I heard you three guys.
Speaker 6: I got the original audio here.
Speaker 4: That's good, said Vicious.
Speaker 10: That's the celebration goes on elkuls real.
Speaker 3: License the dread of every rustling w W.
Speaker 10: Here's the dull felt in the lane with all the power, with all the brown used his brain.
Speaker 14: Mon celebration.
Speaker 10: Happen.
Speaker 19: What he's done?
Speaker 8: He didn't know?
Speaker 6: That is the question.
Speaker 4: That is the question.
Speaker 6: So there he is that that's very very raw. After final four, you got this situation where the world titles in flux and no one knows what the hell is going on, and Sid's just the guy that makes sense to go with at that.
Speaker 4: Moment in time. Man, that seems to be way in the world.
Speaker 6: If you're wondering what kind of a smashing rating success was, because no matter what you can say about Sid, he was a draw six point eight for Raw, three point one for Nitro, head to head six point seven to two point six. Okay, in the head ten hours. Great stuff. Now, if you think this is the beginning of a long and prosperous rain for cid WW World Heavyweight Champion here on January twenty fourth, how about.
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 6: Now, how about Boston? Instead? He vacates it the next night when they tape Thunder. Oh yeah, that makes sense in Vegas because they announced that commission Kevin Nash has in fact stripped Sid of the championship because Sid pinned the wrong Harris brother. Oh come on, in the in the earlier mixed tag match handicap match, what are we doing here? Are we putting the belt on Sid?
Speaker 2: Or aren't we?
Speaker 7: What I mean?
Speaker 6: How do they know right exactly?
Speaker 4: They're twins?
Speaker 6: So this Arizona, January twenty sixth.
Speaker 4: Did they do a DNA test?
Speaker 6: Well, I'm sure the Twins could vouch for it. They probably signed an affidavit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I don't know.
Speaker 6: I mean, if we're going to make this company mean something, how about Kevin Nash just awards himself the belt back. Oh totally, that's how we resolve this and that's what he does as commissioner. And then on the same show, Yeah, SID faces Kevin Nash in the cage. It's triangle cage match with Ron Harris as the third guy. Oh my god, I've main event anywhere in the country, ladies and gentlemen. You know, we spend all that time or waxing nostalgically for what it would have been like to see the Shawn Michael's Brodheart SID triple Threat matches in ninety seven and how novel that of a concept that was at the time. Yeah, but I think if I have to take one match with me on a remote island that I have to watch every day for the rest of my life, it's going to be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I listen. I want to watch anything with the Harris Twins.
Speaker 6: Kevin Nash versus Sid Vicious versus Ron Harris in a triangle steel cage match. That was the match they made.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what what, it's fine, it's a main event.
Speaker 6: And it's tough. It's tough, and in this match, despite all the fucking pointless shenanigans we just talked about on the Nitro the night before, Sid wins back the belt by submitting Kevin Nash with the crossface, the same move Benoi used to submit him.
Speaker 4: Jesus Christ.
Speaker 6: I mean, I can't imagine the shenanigans that must have happened to justify this being what you put out there, just the agenda's being served. It's just it's impenetrable to me. I cannot understand this. But Sid is the champion again after not being the champion for a couple hours, and of course this rain is as a prosperous one. It begins, I guess you could say again on January twenty fifth, two thousand, when this thunder airs, and it lasts all the way up until we'll talk about what it looks like to get to that point. They go to Binghamton on February first, where he beats Mike Rotunda. Of course a submission match. I mean, that's a main event right there. Unbelievable. In two thousand block. They go to Birmingham, Binghamton, excuse me, in New York on February first, he beats Rick Steiner. They go to Amherst, mass On February second, where he beats Al Green in a world title Yes, Sid Vicious versus Al Green, And that's really throwing music fans off, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Charleston. Can you imagine?
Speaker 6: Oh my god, oh my god, it's a battle for the Grammys, Charleston. February third, he beats Jeff Jarrett for the title, whichita. He beats Jarrett for the title. Not a big fan of Jeff Jarrett. Sid when he's talks about who for some reason, I go's some problem with the guy Nitro. February seventh, Tulsa, he beats Scott Hall and one on one match for the title. That's interesting. Oklahoma City Febuery eighth, Don Harris and Ron Harris beat Said Visius and Terry Funk. So Sid getting a chance to team with Funk before obliterating him, as were about to talk about on that pay per view. They go to Germany where he beats Jeff Jarrett. He beats Jarrett again in Oberhausen. In Leipzig, yes, he beats Jeff Jarrett. They come back for Nitro at Nassau Colisseum on February fourteenth, two thousand, where Jarrett beats Sid. I think it was Yeah, it wasn't for the world title, it was for the US title, for god knows what reason They're putting the US champ over the world champ. They go to super Brawl, the pay per view in February and that's where he beats Jarrett and Hall in a three way no DQ match to Sid to retain the championship. They go to Renown Februy twenty second where he beats Lex Luger who was going by the Total Package, not Lex Luger, Boss the Total Package for god knows what reason. By d Q Winnipeg on February sixteenth. He beats the Total Package again for the world title in at World Title Match Duluth February twenty seventh, two thousand, he beats the Total Package Nitro for every twenty eighth Target Center, Minneapolis, he beats if you can believe it, Tank Abbott, Oh God for the World title Fargo February well in a world title match. Oh he was already the champ. Fargo, North, Dkota. For Every twenty ninth, Jeff Jarrett and Ron and Don Harris beat Sid Booker T and Billy Kidman. I mean, what are they doing?
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 6: Charlotte February thirty. This is, by the way, this is that disastrous Kevin Sullivan booking reign. I mean it starts that night where he puts Ben Wall over Sid. But my god, this is the worst. I stand by this to this day. As bad as Nash's stuff was, as bad as Russo's stuff was, as bad as some as Eric's stuff was, Jim hurd stuff, don't care. Nothing is as bad as January to March of two thousand, when they put the book back in Kevin Sullivan's hand and it just was unwatchable, unwatchable on every single front. They were going nowhere fast Charlotte. For March fifth, Sid beats Flair. Actually it seems like they're going nowhere slow, nowhere. It's perfectly the worse. It's exactly right nowhere slow Nitro. March six, two thousand, Jarrett and the Wall Jerry Tweet beat Sid and Vampiro. March thirteenth, Sid and Vampiro beat Big Ron and Heavy D uncensored two thousand to pay per view from American Airlines Arena. On March their nineteenth, two thousand sees Sid beat Jeff Jarrett for the championship, and then Monday Nightro March twentieth, two thousand, Gainsville, Florida, Hogan returns and teams with Sid Vicious to defeat Jeff Giarrett and Scott Steiner. And this is weird because this is how it not returns, but Hogan and Sid link up and Hogan's in the Red and Yellow again. He did a strap match against Ric Flair and the Red and Yellow and uncensored the pay per view and then he teams and it's very clear that they're building yet another Hulk Hogan Sid program. They're going to take us back to nineteen ninety two again. And they do an angle that actually it went nowhere, but it was like a pre inserted in a nitro and it wasn't really played up that big, but it was pretty good. Where Sid is standing at the podium as the world champion and he's supposed to be, you know, answering questions and holding court. But Hogan walks in and starts kind of talking over Sid and kind of taking all the questions over say, and he's yapping away and Stid just Sid is just standing there smiling like it doesn't bother him. But at the same time they're getting across the idea that he's he's boiling inside. He's gonna kill Hold.
Speaker 4: That's I like that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's pretty good. Of course, Hogan was this kind of guy, as Brian Elvererz points out on Death the WCW. Of course this was method acting at its finest, since Hogan really was the sort of guy who stole the spotlight from everyone else and Sid had to pretend that he was cool with it. The funniest part of all this, by the way, was that Hogan was supposed to be the babyface. Finally, at the end of the night, Sid snapped all was not completely well. However, the match he snapped in saw him team with Hogan to take on Jeff Jarrett and Scott Steiner. He went crazy, choke slammed Hogan, then pinned him. Yes, he pinned his own partner. He pinned his own partner. Yeah, do you remember last time we were with you, and we were talking about that bachel of the Beach match with Sid and Savage versus Nash and Sting. Yeah, and I was saying, how if Nash or Savage pinned pardon me, if Savage or Sid pin Nash, they would become champion. Yes, a listener pointed out, which I'd forgotten about. By the way, if Sting pinned Savage or Sid, he would be the champion. Sting Kevin Nash's own partner. Nash was incentivized to stop his own partner from winning the match on behalf of his team because then.
Speaker 4: He seems nor it's good booking to me. It's interesting, it's very it's you know, it's unexpected.
Speaker 6: That's for sure. He pinned his own partner. The referee even counted. Alvarez wrote, nobody in w CW bothered to explain how this was possible, but it didn't matter because fans had long since given up on trying to find any logic in WCW storylines.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's that's the real story.
Speaker 6: I think the it's true, and we've gone this far and it's time to talk about it because this is this is the time when they're actually going to share the screen together for the first time, not just being the same company, but share this screen together. There's an elephant in the room. In fact, who was the referee when Chris Benoi wrestled Sid at Sold Out two thousand Boss?
Speaker 8: Who it was?
Speaker 6: Arn Anderson?
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 6: So clearly some kind of detent was reached between Sid and arn Anderson if they're not only willing to work together in the same company, but in fact shares the screen together in certain segments and be involved in concentric storylines. So here it is, after all these years, and after the brutal situation in that hotel in England in nineteen ninety three, Sid and arn Anderson have found a way to work together. Here is Sid describing in a shoot interview how it went down.
Speaker 22: Oh, after the deal, when I got brought back to WW you know, you know, I was in a room. They brought him in and said, okay, Arn you know Sid's back, and we said, if you guys have I think it said anythings saying.
Speaker 13: I just said, like I said a thousand times, you know I was at the car.
Speaker 22: I'm sorry that happened, especially with you, because no Horn had always stuck his hand out to help me, help me with my interviews when it's a tough thing to doing the interviews and you don't know how to do me. He showed me how to start off. He got me rolling on it, and it just again I hated it. It had been harmed that that happened with.
Speaker 6: Indeed, there was a segment where Wow Flair, Anderson and Charles Robinson run in the ring and Sid came out for a promo right now forez Writ's and death of wcw RN, who had never been approached when the decision was made to bring Sid back, immediately walked to the corner and just stood there as if he wanted nothing to do with anything that was going on. When the interview was over and they were about to go to commercial, Sid turned walked over to Arn and shook his hand. Okay, that's that's booked to go down that way, or if somehow Arn just made up his mind on the spot how he was going to react to Sid's presence. As we mentioned, Arn has never talked about it, and I've put the call out to the Solar System to find an instance of him talking about it, and I can't find it. Don't forget that he sued Sid over this and it kind of dissipated in court, and you know, he kind of came up on the short end of this story. And there's versions of it where he's always staring the pot and starting shit. We heard Eric Bischoff talk about that. So maybe it's not, you know, the one sided circumstance that we would think. And if Arn opened his mouth, he might run the risk of contradicting himself or bringing up something that puts him at fault in some way. I don't know. We're left to speculate because he's never addressed that, he's never talked about it. But one thing we can infer from is that they got over it, these two because upon the passing of Sid just earlier this summer, Arn Anderson had this to say in his podcast.
Speaker 23: Obviously were the resting world lost to Giant? He was definitely a monster, left the mark on this business that people will remember for decades to come. Had the best look I would have. I would go this far as to say he had probably had the best look of anybody in the history of the business. Just see him walking in the room. It's just a monster. And uh, you know, our thoughts and prayers for his family certainly go out and very very sad to hear what a huge loss we woke up with yesterday morning.
Speaker 8: It was.
Speaker 23: Who it's just, it's just it's never a shock.
Speaker 7: But it is a shock.
Speaker 23: In our business, we beat our bodies up. Our bodies are actually in dog years, aged a lot, you know. But I had no previous knowledge of any illness or anything with said, so it was a shock. And like I said, our thoughts and prayers go out to his family, to his fans equally as much, and let's just give them some thoughts and prayers that they're going to be needing going forward.
Speaker 6: So they were able to get on the same page, it sounds like, all right, and put the past in the past, and let bygones beak up bygones. And that's great, yea is it? It's great that tubby step he was able to find a way to get these guys in a room and figure it all out after all these years and leave it there, right, boss, Just leave it, I imagine, not you know, nothing more needs to be said. The past is the past. We're moving forward on new terms. No need to poke the hornet's nest, no need to dredge up old feelings about this. No need to, oh, I don't know, take a storyline out of it. Have Eric Bischoff approached Sid on the first nitro of the infamous Russo Bischoff regime era at the Pepsi Center in Denver on April tenth, two thousand, where the idea was, if you remember, Russo and Bischoff declare, all belts are stripped on this night, all belts are stripped, and we're gonna have a series of matches and tournaments to determine new champions because this is a fresh start for WCW. Who's the WCW World Champion at that point, Boss, I ask you, what's the year. Part of the year, it would be Sid. Oh, Sid's champions champion. This is April and Sid is still the world champion from the priory.
Speaker 4: They're taking away the title.
Speaker 6: They're taking away the title, and they're having Eric Bischoff himself approach Sid to do it. As Sid comes out with several other of the guys they had in mind for this Millionaire's Club faction to combat the new blood guys like you know, Page or Luger or Sting who'd been around a long time and were established moneymakers. And here come Sid with the world title and Eric Bischoff approaches him and definitely doesn't bring up the past, taking.
Speaker 4: Those This is unbelievable, just a new beginning. We have no champions.
Speaker 15: Well, I said, there's only one one bot left and you.
Speaker 13: Know who's word.
Speaker 16: He's telling Sid Bishes to give up the world heavyweight title.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable, what beshop?
Speaker 14: You want this out? We just starting lass over there won't take that.
Speaker 3: Oh you knew what was gonna happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I knew what absolutely you knew.
Speaker 3: That's okay.
Speaker 10: You knew that Sid Vicious would look at Bijof said okay, and big soap there's leaving the ring.
Speaker 3: Has everyone completely flipped. Eric Bishop, it looks.
Speaker 10: Like he might get sides his face, Tony, he's slipped the care He's gonna confront come Millennia man and just take the world anyway championship belt.
Speaker 14: Come Sid, you know what do you.
Speaker 15: Want to You gonna lay me out?
Speaker 6: Said here we go?
Speaker 3: Come on, said you know you could do it.
Speaker 20: Now, I know you could do it, But here's what will happen. I'll heal and when I get done healing. I'll fit healing now knowing that you won't employed.
Speaker 15: So here's the deal.
Speaker 10: Need to lay me out, take your chances, or hand over the belt, said che says man.
Speaker 15: What's he gonna do?
Speaker 3: What can he do?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 14: I've been beat up before. It won't be the last time.
Speaker 4: What on the level?
Speaker 3: Jeff the belt to Bischoff, cause matter?
Speaker 14: He can't find your scissors?
Speaker 4: Oh come on, no one cares.
Speaker 6: So he says it again.
Speaker 3: He said, what's the matter?
Speaker 14: Said, can't find your scissors?
Speaker 3: Come on, shiit, give the boss the belt.
Speaker 14: Come on, man, don't let me push the button. Said, I wouldn't want to see you go crazy.
Speaker 3: Said I don't want to see him ruin your career. Said he's pushing it.
Speaker 14: A long lonely life in West Smithphis.
Speaker 15: Said see you on the sixth seed.
Speaker 16: Three sandpee back when the real world heavyweight champion where on the belt.
Speaker 6: He handed over the belt.
Speaker 4: He actually true it over to pick show.
Speaker 3: Look, said owners, you want to tear Eric kushak apart. Hey, Eric's the boss.
Speaker 4: You can't hit the boss.
Speaker 6: He just handed the belt over.
Speaker 4: Of course you did.
Speaker 6: I mean that's fine, right, you can come back from that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, look, you gotta just you can just just you gotta do what the boss says.
Speaker 6: Steve Austin handed over the belt in this prime, of course, hul Cogan handed over the belt. It was fine, It was all. You know, he's over enough that he can just let a guy browbeat him into giving over the belt. What's about her? Sid can't find your scissors?
Speaker 4: Oh that's just not okay.
Speaker 6: Why is it not okay?
Speaker 4: Because I mean there's so much about that that you know, he was fucking fired. I mean, it's not okay.
Speaker 6: Arnt Anderson.
Speaker 4: I think he's too stupid to not understand that it's not okay.
Speaker 6: You know what, Sid, Yeah, aren't in the back, no selling it, pretending it doesn't bother him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, of course, why would it bother him?
Speaker 6: Well, later in that show, they begin the tournament to determine the next ww champion, and in the semifinal round, Sting beats Sid Vicious by count out in a six minute and seventeen second matchup. On the April eleventh, the next night, two thousand tapings in Colorado's brings Stevie Ray Big T, that is to say, Booker T and Cash Kid Cash defeat Sid vicious by his qualification in a three on one handicap match, and for a while, that's the last we hear from Sid. Sid disappears for months on end, apparently dealing with an injury during this entire Russeau Bischoff regime. I mean that's it. Sid hands the belt over Russell Sting for six minutes and then disappears, basically from television. It's it's wild, but he he's he's he's hurt. Okay, he's got something he's got to deal with. We don't see him again until Russo's gone. Okay, this guy that he's a unbelievable I thinks his sabotage in the company. Russo's gone in October of two thousand and on the November twenty seventh, two thousand, Nitro out in a black turtleneck after the world champion at the time, Scott Steiner, just defeated Stevie Ray of all people, in a retirement match on Nitro. Sid returns to the company because star cast or star Kad, I should say, I'm gonna get those wrong forever Stark two thousand, do you remember our main event from the star Kid memorial to her?
Speaker 8: I do.
Speaker 4: It was Sid and Scott Stein.
Speaker 6: Indeed, so Sid is back in the dying days at WCW, the true doldrums, where there was a lot of intrigue going around about new ownership, but everything felt lame duck. Everything they did felt like, Okay, this is just a placeholder until we decide who the new bosses are and launch a new WCW. Until then, we're gonna watch people play out different various strings, but none of it really counts. And that definitely was the feeling I got when Sid came back. And when it comes back in a black turtleneck, you know what that means. He hasn't had as much gym time as he would have liked, exactly. And this begins the air of him wrestling in jeans and wrestling in Gene Schortz, which is absolutely alarming and completely unacceptable. When he starts wearing jeorts, completely unacceptable.
Speaker 4: Oh god, yeah, no, no, no, no, no, no, I do remember I've seen images of that look. I didn't know it when he snaps his leg. I've seen images of that look and it's not okay.
Speaker 6: It just makes it look so low rent. I don't care how self conscious he was about the definition and his legs back then. This was just the wrong move, made him look just like he was barely trying. But he's back, and yes, they play up a bit that he had just relinquished the championship the last time we had seen him, and now deserved an honest chance to get it back, of course, with no mention of the fact that he failed to win the tournament that he was in to get that belt back. But he just comes back claiming like he has a rightful claim to it. He says, because Steiner has been walking around with a world championship all this time, calling himself champion, even though Sid never lost it in the ring. He says on Niro one time that Scott Steiner has been walking around with a fictitious name tremendous. Sid was asked in to shoot interview about working with Scott Steiner. He says, yeah, man, he was so I don't know what his problem was. He was just so I don't know, he just couldn't calm down. He was just you know, cussing everybody, screaming at everybody, the referees, you know, the people in the back. I don't know, I don't know if it was his first really solo star deal. You know, I don't know if he would like They take a while during the interview about sting, and then halfway through it, he's calling out Hogan. You know, It's like, what's going on here? Everybody looking at each other, and I don't know what his problem is and the w to be He says at the time he'd just come back to Steiner why he didn't last there, But I knew he wasn't gonna last there either, because you're not going to talk to people like that there for very long. When you got the ring with him, He's asked did he calm down or was he tough to deal with? He's just a ratic, just nervous. I don't know what. I think the pressure was too much for him.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I'm not saying anyone doesn't know. I'm not saying anything anyone doesn't know. I remember in Gainesville, I think it was Gainesville when they first gave him his first singles match against Rick Flair. This is from eighty nine and the Clash match where Scott swears that Rick Flair was sandbagging him. He bombed terribly back in the day, and he never shook that Sid said about Scott. He never shook that, and that's why I still say that Rick was the better of the two. But that's his recollection of working with Scott Steiner, and the match is definitely not that memorable. But Sid versus Scott Steiner was pretty much the best that they could do at that time in World Championship wrestling. And that is the story of Sid, isn't it? I would say yes, another example of Sid walking in the front door when there's no viable person that you've seen recently being built for the champion or for the main event picture in a one time need that needs to be filled, and thus there is Sid. As mentioned, he starts worrying George for some reason, and with that we turn the page. Jesus, but that we turned the page. As we conclude this chapter of the Sid Tribute, we turned the page to the forced final year of Sid vicious career in the National Wrestling Spotlight. Yeah, it's two thousand and one and as the master and rulers world, it's about to come crumbling down. Boy, and take a look, and we close with this boss. It is the moment. It is available on YouTube if you can bear with me for a second. I'm gonna pull it up on my end as well. Yep, this is what it's.
Speaker 4: Coming down to.
Speaker 6: So you remember seeing this on YouTube and not hearing about it at the time. I, yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Definitely didn't hear about it when it happened, but I knew about it. I definitely knew about it a long time ago. And I don't yeah, I don't know how I.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The only thing I can think of is that you told me about this.
Speaker 6: So this is the night after sold out. It's important to remember the January two thousand and one sold out.
Speaker 4: We wait, so they fucking showed the replay yes of him getting his fucking.
Speaker 6: Yes. And in fact, the fact, if you watch the sold out pay per view, you'll see that you didn't really tell. You couldn't really tell on the night with the live angles that they picked what happened to Sid, you could tell something went wrong, but they did not happened to cut to the angle that gave the clearest view of what happened to Sid's life. Fuck in this kind of a four corners match environment that they were in with a with a run in. So the next time of Nitro we got to do it. We got to show the people, don't we No.
Speaker 4: We don't.
Speaker 6: So we start with we don't have to tell anything, Tony Chevann, And you have no idea how significant what you're saying is about to become an hour saga here going forward, but for now, for now, Tony Shavanni and Scott Hudson Here a ringside speaking to the fans the night after sold Out two thousand and one on Nitro about pardon me, it.
Speaker 4: Wasn't look at look at Scott Hudson does not look okay.
Speaker 6: No, no, he knows what he's about to see. And sorry, I keep saying sold out. That was the January pay per view forever it was sin. This is the year they did Sin right in January instead of sold Out. So if you can hit play on my one boss and you at home, if you want to pull it up on YouTube, yes, three two one.
Speaker 21: While we were watching the mystery opponent, come in now, said Vicious up on top.
Speaker 4: Look at the difficult Look at the left foot. That is so difficult to watch. We've seen it already another angle already so many times.
Speaker 21: It's still just so once again isolated.
Speaker 4: Oh my oh the foot.
Speaker 21: Obviously the compound fracture of the gia and the fibula last night this morning, underwent two hours of surgery, had a forty three inch centimeter steal rod and shorted it into the bone.
Speaker 3: He is still in Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis.
Speaker 4: He'll be out the good part of a year A long time. We certainly wish said vicious part of a year.
Speaker 3: Oh fuck my life.
Speaker 6: That and the fallout of the tragic end.
Speaker 4: To how can I'm just gonna say, how can you come back from that? Ever? How can you say it's gonna be a year like it literally snapped in half? Here's the thing, boss, what you don't come back from right, And we hope for Sid's sake, is we're going to get into the next time we're with you on our tribute to Sid, that that isn't just too much for him to bear.
Speaker 1: Announcement As a tej tosantus production, its contents is intended for private use only.