Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Pathway Chili.
Speaker 2: I'm Robin, I'm Jules, and I'm Ashley. Let's dive right into this week's case.
Speaker 3: Christmas Eve nineteen seventy three, New London, Connecticut, while changing a tire, twenty year old Kevin Showalter is struck by a passing vehicle and killed in a hit and run. When police make no effort to solve the case, Kevin's mother is forced to fight for answers on her own. Years later, a grand jury investigation is finally held, naming the town's former mayor as a probable driver of the vehicle. However, further complications ensue when another man comes forward to confess to the crime, creating much debate about who was actually responsible for Kevin Showalter's death.
Speaker 1: After that, the path went chilly. So the Christmas Holidays are nearly upon us, So to commemorate the occasion, we're going to be covering a case which took place on Christmas Eve, the unsolved nineteen seventy three hit and run death of Kevin Showalter. I first became familiar with this story ten years ago when I included in an article I published for listfvers dot Com about unsolved Christmas Time mysteries, But until I covered it on the Trail Went Cold in twenty seventeen, I did not realize just how deep a rabbit hole it really was. Cold cases involving hit and run deaths are often very difficult to solve because unless someone actually witnessed the event, there's usually very little evidence to work with. But the death of Kevin Showalter wound up ballooning into one of the most extensive hit and run in investigations in the history of the United States. The local police initially did such a terrible job that Kevin's mother had to become his sole advocate. The case eventually wound up in the hands of the Connecticut State Police, who would spend over one million dollars on the investigation and garner national press coverage for the story. In spite of this, the case is not particularly well known today, though, but often garnered coverage in the local media, and new developments were still taking place in the investigation. Up until the mid two thousands. We have one person who has been publicly named as the most likely perpetrator, but since there have been a number of unexpected twists and turns. A lot of ambiguity still surrounds what actually happened here.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is so sad. You have a twenty year old young man who's killed in a hit and run and a mother who is really saddled with this task. It's unthinkable you need to do an investigation into your son's death if you want any kind of answers or justice at all. I can't imagine the weight that that places on her, and not only her, but the rest of her family as well, because she can't turn to local law enforcement to say, carry that burden for me, and so it becomes an additional burden on top of the death of her son. So my heart is absolutely broken for this poor woman who dedicates her life to justice for her son. And when you talk about the idea that the only named individual has been the mayor of the town, it adds that layer of potential mix of politics and the lack of justice because of that, Like did the local law enforcement not investigate because of the political pressure and weight of the mayor being potentially involved. I can't wait to hear more, but my heart is absolutely broken for this poor mother. And it shows what strength and incredible determination these survivors have in these moments when they say, if you won't do it, I'll do it myself.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. We have covered a lot of cases on the podcast like this where the police does a terrible job and the victims' family members has to be their advocate and pretty much do all the work, and they are pretty much the only reason that the case remains in the spotlight. It is still remembered after so many years. And here we're probably we're going to be profiling one of the worst police investigations I've seen for a cold case. But when you hear the twist about the town mayor possibly being the perpetrator, you can understand why there have been allegations of potential cover up and rumors that the investigation was botched intentionally.
Speaker 3: Our story begins in New London, Connecticut, in nineteen seventy three. Our central figure is twenty year old Kevin Showalter, who's currently a student at Mitchell College. Kevin's parents are divorced, but he still remains close to his mother, Lucille's Showalter, and his two brothers. On Christmas Eve, Kevin was working his job at a discotheque in Waterford, which is located just three miles outside New London. He became friendly with a young female patron named Debrah Emilita and invited her to attend a Christmas party with him. After Kevin's shift ended, he left his own car behind to the discothech so he and Deborah could use her Ford Pinto to drive to his apartment in New London. They spent the next few hours hanging out together and decided that they would not attend the Christmas party after all, so Kevin asked Deborah to drive him back to the discothech so he could pick up his own car. On their way there, Deborah's Pinto suddenly sustained a flat tire on Pequot Avenue, a residential street located less than two blocks from where Kevin's mother lived. Deborah pulled over, and after discovering that the front driver's side tire was flat, Kevin pulled out a jack and crouched down beside the Pinto to change the tire. He recommended the Deborah switch off the vehicle's parking lights in order to conserve the battery, but tragedy would soon occur. At around eleven eleven PM, Kevin was attempting to change the tire when he was suddenly struck by a passing vehicle, which propelled his body fifty feet onto the sideway. The driver of the vehicle did not bother to stop and just kept on going. At the time, Deborah was sitting on top of a stone wall six feet away from the pinto and remembered hearing a thud. Well she was able to catch a glimpse of a tail light driving away in the distance, she did not actually see the vehicle. In fact, even though numerous witnesses in the neighborhood would recall hearing noises from their homes and catching a glimpse of the tail lights to the vehicle which struck Kevin, none of them got a clear enough look at it to provide a description.
Speaker 2: Here's what's so difficult about this is that you have Kevin and Deborah. They're, you know, hanging out, they're on a date, and they make this decision that they're not going to go to the Christmas party. So Kevin says, take me back to my car, and he's literally right near his mother's home, so about two blocks. Thinking, like, you know, had he walked back home, had he asked his mom to you know, drive them to get his other car, things like that this might have actually not even a cur So this crazy moment where he's getting out just to fix his friend's tire or girlfriend's tire turns into him losing his life. It's the unthinkable, which is why when you have Deborah sitting up on that wall and she hears a thud, it almost on the surface seems impossible that she wouldn't see the car. But when she hears that thud, the last thing going through her mind is most likely that Kevin had been hit. It would be that catching up in your mind and your conscience to say, wait a minute, what just happened. Oh my god, Kevin's hurt. And by the time you realize that and you look up, all you can see are those tail lights. And so my heart is absolutely broken for Deborah. This young kid who's just being a gentleman and kind and helping get this car fixed loses his life and the person doesn't even stop. It makes you think were they drinking, were they under the influence of something, Because yes, you would be scared if you hit something you didn't know what you would hit, But you would think that most people would pull over if they were innocent and they accidentally hit somebody who was changing a tire in the dark. Remember, he had turned the car off, so there'd be justification of saying I didn't see the poor kid. But they kept going, which makes me think there was a reason they could not stop.
Speaker 3: I was thinking that they must have been intoxicated, because for Deborah not to see the vehicle after hearing that thud, even if it's going fairly fast, for her eyes not to be on the road seemed strange. But Robin, I've got a question for you. Do you know how well lit that area was?
Speaker 1: It does not sound like it was particularly well lit. And I think that's the most senseless thing about this whole tragedy is that it probably was legitimately an accident, and that if the driver, as long as they weren't drunk and they just pulled over, I'd admitted to what they did, they may not have received any jail time. Because there's Kevin approached by a vehicle like changing a tire on the car which has turned the light, So you can't really you can kind of understand why this motorists might have hit him by accident, but the fact that they didn't even bother to stop and just took off in a panic. Just pretty much caused this whole thing to spiral out of control because they didn't fess up to it. And that's why people are still talking about this case fifty years later.
Speaker 2: And see that's why I think the driver had to be intoxicated because or under the influence of something, because or they had some materials in their car. There was something going on that once they hit him, they didn't pull over. Yes, the kids could have been drinking and maybe Kevin was being incredibly responsible asking Deborah to drive him and so he didn't drive his car. But I think the driver of the vehicle that struck him had to have a legal reason they didn't stop.
Speaker 3: Well, look at Chap equittic like the whole thing with what was it Robert Kennedy, Ted Kennedy, Ted Kennedy. Sorry, I don't want to get the Kennedy's mixed up, but he basically like left the scene, went in processed this for this good chunk of time before you realize he's going to be tied to this, He's going to have to cop to what happened. So I think when you are, I mean he was part of a political dynasty, and if we're looking at this through the lens that this could have been the mayor allegedly, then it's very possible that just the status of being the mayor would be enough that it would be like, oh my god, my career could be over, my life could be over. Because people think worst case scenario in that situation. But I do agree. I think there's probably a strong likelihood that if it was indeed the mayor or somebody else, they were likely intoxicated because to keep going and not even to pause for a minute, it just seems so strange.
Speaker 1: That night, Kevin's mother, Lucille Showalter, had been attending Christmas Eve services at her church before she returned home and went to bed. She would be woken up during the early morning hours of Christmas Day when officers from the New London Police Department arrived at the front door and informed her that her son had been hurt in an accident. Lucille went to the hospital where Kevin had been taken, but when she arrived, she learned the horrifying news that Kevin was dead. The police informed Lucille that Kevin was the victim of a hit and run, and she assumed that they would be investigating the crime and doing their best to find the driver who was responsible. However, Lucille started a sense that something was wrong when she showed up at the New London police station a few weeks later to retrieve Kevin's personal effects. To her astonishment, the police claimed that his personal effects have been lost and flat out told Lucille that the case would probably never be solved. So this motivated Lucille to launch her own independent investigation. She got her hands on an FBI lab report which stated that dark green paint particles had been found on Kevin's clothing, which were consistent with the same shade of green which was often used on nineteen sixty eight Krysler vehicles. Lucille then did some exhaustive leg work, searching throughout the area for dark green vehicles which had any signs of damage on them. She asked local auto dealers and garages if they had repaired any damaged vehicle shortly after Christmas Eve, and learned that most of them had never even received any inquiries from the police. Lucille also interviewed a number of people, including witnesses from Kevin's accident, seen and reached the conclusion that the driver hit him was likely from the area, given that Pequat Avenue as a residential street not known for getting much traffic.
Speaker 2: So not only does Mom have to do this investigation by herself, but she also goes to the police department and is shut down that basically good luck finding who killed him, right, that this is likely not going to have a resolution. But they also lost his personal effects, which is absolutely devastating. Even if there wasn't much on him, that's all she had left. She was going to get his things back and bring them back into her possession so that she could do what she wanted to, and they lost them like he didn't matter, right, that there wasn't a mother out there that wanted his belongings. That's hurtful. The fact that they say good luck, there's not going to be a resolution, the fact that they're not doing any work because she's doing work and finding out that the police have never spoken to these repair shops and things of that nature, which would be the first thing you would think police would do. But I do have a question when you get down to the idea that it's on this back residential street. Mom had to be thinking this is someone I go to the grocery store with. This is someone I'm in church with, This is someone who I could have gone to school with, my son could have gone to school with. That makes it even more devastating that you could easily be standing next to someone you know and are familiar with and they hit your son and kept going.
Speaker 1: That is true because it does seem certain that this was not an outsider lived away from New London, that it was someone who lived in the area and had probably cross paths with Lucille and her family on numerous occasions. And as we're about to talk about momentarily, the person who would later be come the prime suspect acted so nice to Lucille and offered her so much comfort afterwards, and then it turns out that maybe they might have been doing this to cover their own ass.
Speaker 3: Lucille kept a written record of all her findings and attempted to turn it over to the police, but they only became angry about her investigation and accused her of withholding evidence. In spite of this, Lucille continued to actively campaign for answers and even convinced the state of Connecticut to offer a two thousand dollars reward for information. One prominent citizen who offered Lucille his full support, who had previously served two terms as mayor of New London and was now a wealthy, well respected jewelry merchant. He told Lucille that he had actually driven past Kevin's accident, seen at around eleven twelve pm on Christmas Eve, only about a minute after Kevin had been struck. Mala remembered seeing a dark green car parked at an angle in front of the Pinto and saw a middle aged, clean shaven man talking to a younger woman nearby. Malave claimed that he initially thought the guy might be a policeman, since city police were known for driving unmarked dark green vehicles. However, records showed that the earliest help arrived at the scene that night was eleven fifteen.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, Okay, so the former mayor's saying that not only did he see a dark green car part, but he also saw a middle aged, clean shaven man talking to a younger woman. If that had happened, Deborah would have seen that and known that, and she may have even been that younger woman. So how does he explain that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's The issue, as we're going to find out as we go along, is that he tells this story to Lucille, seemingly offering her these leads, and then she'll later speak to Deborah and all the other witnesses, and no one else reports seeing the same thing. And you could think that, well, maybe that young woman was Deborah, but Kevin had a beard. He was not a middle aged, clean shaven man. So here thinking is he really confused or could he be completely fabricating this guy out of thin air in order to send Lucille in the wrong direction. Anyway, The next few years would be an exercise and frustration for Lucille, as she constantly wrote numerous people in authority, such as the new London police chief, a local superior court judge, and the state's attorney, to demand a proper investigation into her son's death, but she was often completely ignored. But Lucille's persistence eventually paid off when she wrote a letter to Connecticut Governor La t. Grosso only a few days before Christmas in nineteen seventy six. A one man grand jury was created to investigate the case, and a Superior court judge named Joseph Donaghy would be appointed to the position. This launched a one year investigation from the Connecticut State Police, which involved re examining the evidence and re interviewing witnesses by the state. In total, they spent over one million dollars, the largest amount ever spent on a hit and run case at that time. The whole situation exposed just how badly the New London Police Department had bungled the original investigation, as in addition to showing a lack of initiative to solve the case, they had also apparently lost some key pieces of evidence. The tow truck driver who arrived at the accident scene remembered finding green automobile body putty and turning it over to the police before it inexplicably disappeared. Some amber plastic, which may have been part of a signal light on the vehicle which struck Kevin, was also found at the scene but subsequently went missing. The new London PD found some glass and did turn it over to the FBI for testing, and they determined that it likely belonged to a general electric headlight before sending it back. However, when the State police requested to analyze this glass years later, the new London PD turnover a box containing what appeared to be glass fragments from multiple vehicles. An engineer from General Electric would determine that at least one of these glass fragments could not have been dislodged by a vehicle heading a pedestrian, and that it was likely removed from a headlamp socket by force. In other words, this glass fragment did not belong to the car which struck Kevin. The State police also concluded that the dark green paint particles found on Kevin's clothing probably did not originate from the vehicle that struck him.
Speaker 2: I'm assuming they did more advanced testing. I mean, there are different paint components that are and I don't know, molecules and things like that that make up different types of paint automobile paint versus craft paint versus home paint. So did they do end depth analysis of it to conclusively say that it didn't come from a vehicle.
Speaker 1: I think so it's kind of murky what kind of testing they did. But I remember how I said earlier that they thought this was the type of paint used on a green dark Green nineteen sixty eight Chrysler, and they were able to determine that it did not match the type of paint used on that vehicle, and I'm guessing they did extensive testing to realize that, no, this doesn't belong to a vehicle. Kevin probably got it from something completely unrelated.
Speaker 3: In total, the grand jury investigation contained five months worth of hearing, featuring testimony from one hundred and seven witnesses. One of the most prominent witnesses was a police informant named Katherine Krause, who claimed that sometime in nineteen seventy five, two women at a party told her about a father and son duo named Walter Spring Junior and Walter Spring the third who'd allegedly done repairs on the vehicle which struck Heaven. The Springs had operated an auto repair shop in New London in nineteen seventy three before moving to New Jersey. Kraus came forward and shared this information with the state police in February of nineteen seventy seven, but claimed that once the Springs found out about it, they took her to Florida and held her in a motel for a month in order to prevent her from testifying. For months. The Springs were very uncooperative with the grand jury investigation and would not show up to testify until they received a court order. While Krous passed a lie detect or test about her story, the Springs refused to take one. A state trooper also testified that the Springs had allegedly threatened to rub out anyone who talked about their repair work of the hit and run vehicle.
Speaker 2: And these two guys are not considered main suspects.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think that they were involved in the actual hit and run, but it does seem clear that something shady was going on with them, and that there's a good chance that whoever did hit Kevin probably went to them to get their vehicle repaired.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, this idea of obstructing justice, right, and being two people that would have information they know who owned that car, So if they repaired that car, they're basically protecting a killer. Somebody who might have on accident hit him but then didn't stop, didn't pull over to see if he could help, didn't have any compassion for Kevin. So, I mean, I don't know, how do you sit there with that kind of information and say, yeah, we'll fix your car and we're totally fine. Knowing that this car killed a kid and his family has no justice.
Speaker 3: And if that's the case, you see just this escalation where they're trying to hide what they've done. If we're to believe what Catherine Cross is saying, because to hold somebody in a hotel room for an entire month against their will, that sounds really intense if it's true.
Speaker 1: I mean, and the whole thing was based on hearsay rumors. So if it turned out the rumors weren't true, all the Springs would have to do is just testify and grand in front of the grand jury and says, Nope, these are all lies. We had nothing to do with this. We never repaired any vehicle. But the fact that they kept dodging it and would not and would refuse to testify and refuse to take a lie detector test indicates that they do have something to hide. After the grand jury investigation concluded and Judge Danahey looked at all the evidence, he finally issued a thirty seven page report in February of nineteen seventy eight. He concluded that quote it is more probable than not that Harvey Malav was the operator of the offending vehicle, As recall, Malav had told Lucille that he drove past Heaven's accident scene right after the hit and run took place, but Judge dan He concluded that Malif's story contradicted the account shared by every other person who was at the scene that night. Malif claimed that he had been driving a yellow nineteen seventy Lincoln Continental, but seven witnesses, including Deborah Andmalita, testified that they never saw a vehicle like that in the neighborhood. After Kevin was hit, one of the neighbors called the fire department, and Deborah claimed that no other vehicles drove past the scene until a fire rescue ambulance and the fire chief's car arrived at eleven fifteen pm. In addition, every witness contradicted Malov's original story about seeing a dark green car parked in front of Deborah's Ford Pinto. As you recall, Malif claimed that he saw a middle aged man speaking to a young woman, and the respeculation that Malub might have actually seen Kevin speaking to Debra and was just confused about the time because he drove through the neighborhood before Kevin was hit. However, Maliv specifically described seeing a clean shaven man, and Kevin had a beard at that time. Maliv's Lincoln Continental was examined by the State Police in nineteen seventy seven and there were signs of damage to the right fender area, along with some turquoise green body putty. Malif could not recall how the vehicle sustained this damage, but given how much time had passed, there was no way to conclusively prove that the damage had been caused by hitting Kevin. In nineteen seventy four, the Chief State's Attorney's office had inquired about whether the New London PD inspected any of Malov's vehicles for damage. The police responded that they'd inspected six vehicles owned by Maliv and found nothing, but the Grand Jury investigation discovered that this was a complete lie. There was also a tentative connection between Malav and the Spring family. Malif had been a member of the New London Redevelopment Corporation in nineteen seventy three and loaned the Springs three thousand dollars only one month before Kevin's death, So could Maliv have called in a favor and asked them to repair the damage to his vehicle.
Speaker 2: Absolutely he could. But even more concerning is why the heck would the police lie to the state's attorney's office and say, oh, yeah, we actually investigated all of his vehicles, and then they uncover that that was a lie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. Like even though in a lot of cases involving police conspiracies and cover ups, it does seem like a little over the top. You start thinking like how many people could keep a secret, But when you're dealing with such a prominent, well respected citizen like Harvey Malov, who was the town's former mayor, you could see law enforcement officers be willing to go to bat for him because maybe in their eyes, he's thinking, oh, it's just it was just a complete accident. He made a mistake. Let's not let this entire mistake ruin his life, And that way, they were willing to sweep evidence under the rug.
Speaker 3: All that being said, since the New London PD had lost most of their evidence from the accident, there was nothing which could conclusively link Malob to the crime, so Judge Danny he did not recommend criminal prosecution. Needless to say, Malub denied these his allegations, and many of his supporters were not too happy with the fact that danahe would publicly name him as the hit and run driver when there wasn't even enough evidence to file criminal charges. Malave pointed out that he previously passed a lie detector test when questioned about the accident in nineteen seventy five, and following the release of Judge Danihe's report, he immediately hired his own private investigator. Malov hoped that evidence would be uncovered to help clear his name, but when the investigator did not deliver his promise, the two men had a falling out. By this point, the case had already garnered a ton of national publicity, including an article in People magazine. The popular TV series Lew Grant even did an episode which was loosely based on this story about a young man who's killed in a hit and run accident by a prominent judge while his mother seeks justice. It was essentially one of those law and order style ripped from the headline stories inspired by real life crimes, but Lucille's showalter did not like the episode, mainly because the fictional mother character based on her was portrayed as a very rude, demanding person. Anyway, following the grand jury investigation, the reward for information leading to an arrest was raised to twenty thousand dollars. But unfortunately, since Kevin's death was ruled to be a case of negligent homicide rather than murder, there was a five year statute of limitations on the crime, and it officially ended on Christmas Day in nineteen seventy eight. However, this would not be the end of the story.
Speaker 2: Isn't there a potential for them to actually change that cause of death or rule it differently and change it from negligent homicide to murder, and then there isn't a statute of limitations. Let's say someone said, hey, listen, this man confessed to me, he said that he killed this kid in nineteen seventy three. Couldn't they go back and change it, or since it possibly could have just been an act accident that resulted in his death, would it stay a negligent Homicid'd probably stay a negligent homicide.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not sure what the laws were, especially back in nineteen seven, in the nineteen seventies, because it would be very hard to prove murder. I mean, I'm sure it was an accidental death. But if you speed away from the scene. Then that I guess qualifies as negligent homicide. But I really don't like the president it sets because you're thinking, well, we can run over a guy from a car and splee the scene, and as long as we wait out five years and let the clock run out, then we'll get away with it. But I guess they would need to find more evidence I guess to point towards murder homicide before they'd be able to change it. In September of nineteen seventy nine, Paul Hanson, a twenty nine year old resident of the nearby town of East Lyne, came forward and claimed that he was the driver of the hit run vehicle which struck Kevin Showalter. Hanson claimed that after doing some heavy Christmas Eve drinking, he was driving home on Peaquat Avenue when he recalled feeling an impact of some sort, though he said he did not notice hitting anyone. When Hanson woke up on Christmas morning, he had no memory of the previous night, but heard a news report about a young man being fatally struck by a vehicle on that street. After Hanson checked his car and noticed there was some damage, he grew horrified and became convinced that he was responsible for Kevin's death. Of course, by the time Hanson came forward, the statute of limitations had expired, so no criminal charges could be filed against him. However, it was still necessary to conduct a thorough investigation because Lucille had tentatively filed a six hundred thousand dollars civil lawsuit against the person who killed her son, and since no one had ever been charged with any crime, she had yet to fill in the name of the actual defendant when questioned. Hanson wound up failing a polygraph test, and there would be another one man grand jury investigation, headed by Judge Danihe. In August of nineteen eighty one, Dannyhe ruled that there was no evidence to support Hanson's claims that he was responsible for Kevin's death. He also wrote, quote, it will be difficult for some to agree with the end of this investigative inquiry. Psychologically, certain individuals cannot now and probably never will be able to accept that the case of Kevin B. Showalter will not be prosecuted at this time end quote. And that pretty much brought an end to the investigation for a long time. And Lucille's civil suit never went to court.
Speaker 2: It's really sad. I mean it's sad for obviously Kevin and his mother and family, but it's also sad for Hanson in some ways that he is seemingly haunted right by this idea of Hey, I remember this thud. I was drinking. I don't recall that evening very clearly, but once I read about it, I became horrified that I might have done this. Yes, he waits till after the statue of limitations expires. Like you said, Robin, that sets up a really bad precedent. But he does come forward and he says, listen, I don't remember anything. I remember a thud, and that's it could have been anything, a pothole of you know, things like that. He says, I don't recall seeing a body. So he's not even confident that he's the one who did it. Could he be absolute? That's a description. I'm drinking and driving, I heard a thud, I drove home and didn't stop. I had some damage to my car. You should be pretty horrified the next morning when you wake up and there's a deceased body because of a hit and run. Can you be confident that you're the one who killed Kevin, not unless you had gotten your car inspected and they had done a forensic exam of the car and those types of things. So it's a difficult situation where you have another person who just made some bad decisions that night who says I think I could have been the one who hit him. So without him even being confident and knowing, and without the investigation being done that evening or shortly after on his car, there'd be no way to prove that.
Speaker 3: It's wild that he came forward after all those years. I really wonder what he was thinking to himself during that time period, if he was overwhelmed and shouldering like a lot of guilt and regret over this situation, that he might have done it. He might have contributed to the end of Kevin's life, because yes, he can't be pursued in criminal court, but he can still be pursued civilly. So I think that it's not that there isn't a risk to him financially if it is indeed true, and he opens himself up to that as soon as he comes forward.
Speaker 1: Because it just seems weird that he would intentionally lie to fabricate a hoax unless he legitimately believed that he did something wrong, regardless of whether or not that's actually happened, and who knows, it could have been a contributing factory if he was following the coverage with Harvey Mallup. I've never seen anything to indicate that Paul Hanson or Harvey malub knew each other. But maybe that's what caused his guilt to crack because he saw what he pursued to be an innocent man, a well respected citizen, get publicly named is the real hit and run driver, and have his reputation tainted. So maybe Hanson just thought to himself, Okay, I want to clear this man's name, and now I'm going to come forward and confess to what I did because it's at a point now where I can't be criminally prosecuted.
Speaker 3: And I think there's also a real possibility, like we talked about earlier, and Ashley had mentioned that the driver may have been intoxicated. He may have been very intoxicated. It was Christmas Eve, so the likelihood he was at some type of party. And I think it's really easy if say you're blackout drunk and you don't really remember. I think one could very easily convince himself that they could be the culprit, even if it isn't true.
Speaker 1: It is true, Like maybe part of that story is the facts, Like maybe he really did get drunk on Christmas Eve in nineteen seventy three, went on Pequod Avenue in that same region, and then because he got blackout drunk, he hears about to hit and run in that same area and then convinces himself that he was responsible.
Speaker 3: On June twenty ninth, nineteen eight, just one day's shy of his sixty second birthday, Harvey Mallub died of cancer, but he had never stopped attempting to clear his name. Sadly, Lucille Showalter would also succumb to cancer in May of two thousand and She never wound up receiving justice for what happened to her son, but believe it or not, this would still not be the end of the story. In January of two thousand and five, the case returned to the spotlight again after Paul Hansen completed suicide and left behind a letter in which he continued to claim responsibility for Kevin's death. This compelled police to reopen the case, and the new London based newspaper The Day decided to conduct a new investigation. For years, Lucille Showalter had requested copies of the transcripts from the original grand jury proceedings, but was told that they could not be released to the public. When The Day attempted to request copies of the transcripts, they were denied by a Superior Court judge. But after pressing the issue further, guess what they found out Even though the truscripts for twelve volumes and over three thousand pages long, they had mysteriously gone missing from the files at New London Superior Court without explanation, and incredibly, there also didn't seem to be any copies of these transcripts anywhere. So this pretty much brought all attempts at a new investigation to dead halt, and unfortunately, there was still no conclusive answers about who was actually responsible for the hit and run which killed Kevin Showalter.
Speaker 1: So I guess you could say the path went chili.
Speaker 2: Okay, this might be an unpopular opinion, but my heart really hurts for Paul Hansen. Also, right, you have a kid, He's a young twenty year old the evening that poor Kevin is also killed, right, but he's a young kid as well. And so just like it's possible Deborah and Kevin were out having a good time on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, you have this other kid who's out, probably at a party. He he's drinking and getting behind a wheel, which is the dumbest thing you can do. But okay, so he's he makes that decision, and because of this just ignorant decision, he's plagued with this idea that I could have taken somebody's life, and clearly right, it bothers him at twenty nine enough to come forward, and then you see that he actually takes his life, and it's such a big deal in his life and has been four decades that he writes about poor Kevin's death in his suicide letter as well. So it's it's pitiful that man's also carrying around this guilt and trauma of like what would have happened if I hadn't drink, you know, I hadn't been drinking and driving. What would have happened had I pulled over? What would have happened if? And then also did I even do it? But it was such a heavy burden on him that he takes his own life. And that is part of it, because it's in the letter, right like that's your last moment to say something to people, and he included Kevin in that. It's sad to me. It's sad that poor Kevin's mother passed away after being his champion without answers. It's frustrating when you look at the idea that even when there's groups that have interest in helping this poor family get justice and answers, there's missing information. There's stuff that's been quote lost, there's things that were never investigated in the first place. This whole case is just pitiful. Kevin was young, he was focused on his future. He was out just having a evening out right during the holidays, and he lost his life. And most likely what was a complete accident, maybe because somebody made a poor decision and got behind the wheel of a car for they had been drinking. But imagine what would have happened had the person who was responsible pulled over realized that they had accidentally hit a poor kid who was in the dark changing attire. Would have been a completely horrific accident and tragedy. Look the kid couldn't be seen. He was in the dark. He had turned the car off so that the tail lights weren't even illuminating him on the side of the road. So would it have really been perceived as this murder? And probably not, But now we don't have any answers, And so this idea of there's not gonna be you know, any justice for him is so sad. Someone else took their own life partly because they thought they might be responsible for it, and his poor mama passed away without any answers.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Like, provided that Paul Anson is completely innocent. I do feel bad for him because he first came forward in nineteen seventy nine and here he is taking his own life twenty six years later. And the fact that he mentioned Kevin's death and his letter shows that he had been grappling with this all this time and still wasn't entirely sure if he was responsible. I mean, I don't know much about Hanson's background. It's possible that he had other mental health issues as well that played a role in his suicide. But it's just like you said, if the person and who had done this had just pulled over admitted what they did, this would have been over and long forgotten. But now we have like people dying by suicide and doing new investigations and losing evidence in two thousand and five, which is thirty two years after the fact, which just shows that what a big mess this whole thing became because the person who responsible didn't fess up to the whole thing. So I think this would be a good time to bring an end to Part one. Join us next week as we present part two of our series about the death of Kevin Showalter.
Speaker 3: Robin, do you want to tell us a little bit about the Trail Went Cold Patreon.
Speaker 1: Yes, the Trail Cold Patreon has been around for three years now, and we offer these standard bonus features like early ad free episodes, and I also send out stickers and signed thank you cards to anyone who signs up with us on Patreon. If you join our five dollars tier Tier two, we also offer monthly bonus episodes in which I talk about Kate, which are not featured on the Trail Went Cold's original feed, so they're exclusive to Patreon. And if you join our highest tier tier three, the ten dollars tier, one of the features we offer is a audio commentary track over classic episodes of Unsolved Mysteries, where you can download an audio file and then boot up the original Unsaved Mysteries episode on Amazon Prime or YouTube and play it with my audio commentary playing in the background, where I just provide trivia and factoids about the cases featured in this episode. And incidentally, the very first episode that I did a commentary track over was the episode featuring this case. So if you want to download a commentary track in which I make more smart ass remarks about Jewel Kaylor, then be sure to join Tier three.
Speaker 4: So I want to let you know a little bit about the Jeweles and Ashy Patreons. So there's early ad free episodes of The Path Went Chili. We've got our Path Went Chili mini's, which are always over an hour, so they're not very mini, but they're just too short to turn into a series, and we're really enjoying doing those. So we hope you'll check out those patreons will link them in the show notes.
Speaker 1: So I want to thank you all for listening, and any chance you have to share us on social media with a friend or to rate and review is greatly appreciated. You can email us at the Pathwentchili at gmail dot com. You can reach us on Twitter at the Pathwink. So until next time, be sure to bundle up because cold trails and chili pass call for warm clothing.
Speaker 3: Music by Paul Rich from the podcast Cold Callers Comedy