Speaker 1: Thank you, John. It is six oh five here Kentucky and it's Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty WHA. We'll have another update of traffic and weather coming your way in about four minutes time. So are we going to war? That's a question I'm sure many are asking. I guess maybe more so, are we getting involved in a war that is currently ongoing? And that's an answer I don't have, and I'm sure most of you, in fact, I would imagine all of you don't have because we don't have any real say so in that. But that is certainly something that a lot of us are going to continue to monitor because it's a scary, scary situation and also two separate things, really, but the current situation going on with Israel and Iran, that is something that has been on the radar as far as what we're monitoring, and I don't mean we meeting us on the show, I mean America, but also the ice raids as far as the real enforcement of getting illegal immigrants out of the country. That has led to protests going on, and obviously we had our own protests here in Louisville in the last week or so. But what I think is just a bad look. Look, I'm not here to share political opinions in a strong way. I really don't have many of them, to be honest with you, and if I did, that wouldn't be what they want me to do here. But I just think when you are in a position of leadership and there is a quick reversal and it's a pretty big decision, I just think it's a poor look on leadership because as a leader, I think you need to be consistent and you need to stand by sort of what you're enforcing. And to have the change on Friday, I believe it was to where there were there were they were no longer going to be targeting. When I say they, I mean ice. They were no longer going to be going after those that are in workplaces like farms, hotels, restaurants. That that made sense, But again I think that was also somewhat of a bad look because I don't think we needed to see all these raids taking place to then have the realization, oh, yeah, we in America, we depend heavily upon migrant workers, and if we just get rid of everybody, no questions asked, that is here illegally, that's going to impact the economy, and then now within three four days whatever it was, there's been a quick reversal. So they are now going to start targeting illegal immigrants at those types of workplaces. So just the inconsistency here without really anything seemingly changing it just don't think it's a great look. But I can't necessarily say that I'm that I'm totally surprised, So uh yeah, this is this is if you are someone that has someone in your life, maybe it's somebody that works for you, maybe it's somebody that you just know for whatever reason, and you know that they are here illegally, and you you know that they're they're productive members of society as best they can, right. I guess there's a level as far as what you can. I mean, if you're not here legally, there are certain things you can't do as far as being you know, as far as being an American, right, you know, taxes, that kind of stuff. So anyhow, I get it, like it's hard for me to in fact, it would be impossible to just think of all the endless different scenarios where you could be somebody here in America born and raised and you have someone in your life that is that is not here legally, and it'd be a scary, scary time right now, just knowing that at any moment there could be a raid that takes place, and then who knows what happens from there.
Speaker 2: I think in Cincinnati there was the young man who was deported. He was I want to say, he was eighteen or nineteen, and it was it made the headlines in the Cincy Enquirer and Ice rounded up and they said he wasn't going to get deported. He wasn't going to be but he ended up getting deported. And then now you're dividing families up in this respect. Now, I also understand the argument from folks there. We have the immigration office right here, across the hall from it, or across.
Speaker 1: The street, live just feed away from us, right and it used.
Speaker 2: To be their ceremonies were down here every other Friday or so every Friday they were down here, and there were people that were entering this country legally. I totally respect that argument. I see that one hundred percent. I also see the families that are here. And as we mentioned before, Dale Romans when he held court over on the backside of Churchill Downs that week saying these are the people we need here and they're good people and.
Speaker 3: Then do good things.
Speaker 2: And it is a very very interesting debate. To your point, I don't know, there's a gray area there that we need to work out as society and figure out. Maybe we need to look at sort of the requirements on why people are staying here and better to find them. I don't know the answer, but it's clear that we're at least I like to say that emotion creates motion, and I think that's where we're heading out least, we're having the conversation.
Speaker 1: And I don't have a clue as far as what to expect at Churchill Downs. I mean, you mentioned what Dale Romans had said, but they did there was an ice rate at the Louisiana Track that just happened recently. That is just you know, that story being out there has to put potentially some people who may be here illegally that are a part of the Churchill Downs sit that work there. I mean, that's a scary situation and it's people that are right here in Louisville, no doubt. So. Yeah, as far as the Iran Israel situation, when it comes to President Trump, no surprise here, But when meeting with his top advisors in the White House yesterday, he did say that the next twenty four to forty eight hours are going to be critical. So again, it's a situation we'll continue to monitor and we'll keep you updated as best we can. Here at news Radio eight forty whas, we've got traffic in weather coming your way, so stick around. Also, something happened to me yesterday that made me feel very old. I'll share that with you guys next right here on news Radio eight forty whas all right, six sixteen here at Kentucky and his morning news with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty whas. Hump Day is upon us. Happy Wednesday, everybody. I got a question for my team here, Scott Fitzgerald and of course the one and only John Alden. And I know the answer because I'm looking across at Scott and I can see that he is wearing He is wearing glasses. John, do you have contact lenses? No, sir, you got good vision. I do have good vision. I found out yesterday. I have to get glasses. Well, I don't have to get that moment, let me back up side here. I don't have to get glasses, but it was encouraged that I that I get glasses for driving at night potentially, and after I saw what it would look like as far as my vision, if I did have glasses, it improved it enough to where I can I don't think that the doc is lying to me.
Speaker 2: So you you glossed over the cheater phase, you're going straight to glasses.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't plan on wearing them in public, not because I'm embarrassed, although I did feel like I look very old in appairing glasses. But uh, I think if I'm working at home on the computer or even here, you know, I think I could have maybe not a substantial improvement of vision, but a bet like things will pop a little bit better. And I've never at any point had I mean, I've never felt like I mean, I hadn't. The reason I wouldn't got my eyes checked is because my wife, she she made the appointment for the whole family because my son starts kindergarten, so he has to get a vision check. Same thing with my daughter who will be back in school next year. So I think my wife's she has terrible visions, so she just needed to get an update and get some more contact lenses. The only reason I would have ever had mine checked is because now I have a real ID and to get it renewed. There don't I don't have any vision check on file. So I went thinking, Okay, it's no big deal and they're not forcing me to get glasses. But the whole process here and I was new to it. I've never done this before. I can't I've never needed to get my eyes checked as far as thinking, oh wow, I'm not seeing well anymore. So I don't know how long it had been, but yeah, they were showing me, you know, they were putting whatever it is they put in front of me and showing I guess what my you know, what my vision would be if I did have glasses, and clearly it could be better. So it doesn't make me feel like old old It's just, you know.
Speaker 3: I remember that moment. I get what you're saying.
Speaker 2: I remember the moment where I, like most people fight turning on the air in the summer of the heat and the winter.
Speaker 3: I fought and fought and fought.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'll struggle through this. Stuff was getting harder to say, do glasses run in your family?
Speaker 1: So my yeah, Well, my my dad has readers, if that makes sense. I and my mother she has U and I hope she's not listening. She has very bad vision. Ye, so she's always my whole life, she's had contacts and glasses. My sister h no, no glasses, no contacts. So uh, I guess I got it, honest, I don't know. Like my dad, he wears them, probably more so than than I will now, but I would imagine I probably fell fell in line with him as far as just getting to a certain point where you know you can You can still get by without them, clearly, but you could also benefit from having them, and especially when it comes to driving, driving at night.
Speaker 2: Huge, And then what happens is, like I'm sure you did probably started out the same way.
Speaker 3: That's what I did. Like I'll just get a pair of cheaters.
Speaker 2: And I start on the low end, and then what happens is I wear them every now and then, and because you see so well with the mind, you keep wearing them. And then eventually I just now these that I'm wearing Now, I just now got real glasses. I mean I thought and fought it, and I was wearing cheaters all the time and just some of great Probably when you.
Speaker 1: Say cheaters, what do you mean the readers? Oh, okay, I got you, And so that makes sense. I just never heard of heard as it does great.
Speaker 2: You fight it, fight it and fight it, but it does greatly improve your quality of life. And if you're worried about feeling old, I mean, look at me. There's young people that wear glasses every day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and look there's I mean, needing glasses doesn't make you feel old, but I feel like I looked old. And what really got me is and this is probably something neither of you have ever noticed, but you've never seen me wear a hat, right, you never see me wear sunglasses. I don't know why. There's no real reason. I've just never been someone that has ever wanted to put on, you know, accessories, a hat to keep you know, my head, shaded sunglasses like I raw dog the sun. And it's a really stupid thing to do. But I've just never wore I've never wore sunglasses before. So when I put the glasses on yesterday to pick out which ones I'm gonna get, my kids saw me with glasses for the first time, and they did not hold back and letting me know that I looked very old, and you remember those kind of things. Ye, John, when you get your real ID, you're gonna need a You're gonna need a vision check. And I want to hear the results because you're you're the young stallion of the squad here, and I bet you've still got really good vision. You've never needed any glasses ever. Never look at that. Oh we'll see he's built different. John Allen, all right, We've got an update of travicking weather coming your way and another update on sports right here at news Radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 2: Just watch this the other night. I will always think of a dugout.
Speaker 1: Now when you say watch this, I have no clue what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: It's fast time as at Ridgemine High.
Speaker 1: Good to know.
Speaker 2: I always see a dugout in southern California and it those who've seen the movie no, it's song this goes with it was awesome. I forgot Cameron Crowe directed that. By the way, I think it was camera grow.
Speaker 1: Make sure right over my head.
Speaker 3: I know you are right over my head.
Speaker 2: I know you when you think back to some of the big movies that you grew up with it you'll never ever forget that we're a big like. For me, it was all John Hughes and it was just it was pretty in pink Breakfast Club. I mean, what kind of movie stands out to you?
Speaker 1: You are? You are bringing me somewhere that I've I've been told not to go.
Speaker 3: Oh is that right?
Speaker 1: Beating? Well not yes? Actually, I just let's just talk about it, shall we. So I have been given advice that I think is good advice. I wouldn't have thought of it. But I've been given advice not to say my age anymore on this show. Oh okay, do you know why? Why? Just because I'm a lot younger than the demo that we reach.
Speaker 3: You're fine, dude, Well.
Speaker 1: I mean you're you're look I'm not ashamed of I'm not ashamed of my age. I'd much rather be my age. I'll be there someday, but I'm enjoying my age where I'm at now and when you get older. But but yeah, so anyhow, I when I this is going to probably like if people don't care about my age, then great. And I don't know, I mean, I can't control it, but I'm well aware that the majority. I shouldn't say majority because you really never know. I don't believe in some of these metrics numbers that they give us because to me, it's an educated guess. There's really no way to truly know the specifics. But I would say that this answer I'm about to give you might make people really think just it happened whenever John and I work together, because were certainly shouldn't mention his age if there's hessitency to mention mine because I am, I'm roughly ten years older than you John, is that right? Nine? So he I mean, I'll take every can get. But he sounds as old, if not older than me, and he's clearly make sure beyond his years. I'm not sure if I am. But anyhow, this to me when I think of movies that like I watched all the time as a kid, Like I grew up when Adam Sandler moved on from SNL because he was getting all the big movies like Happy Gilmore, Billy Madison, I would say the three movies I watched as a kid more than even to this day, I've still probably watched. I haven't watched these recently, but I watched these countless times. The kid we've got actually teen Wolf you know that movie Michael J.
Speaker 3: Fox.
Speaker 1: That was actually before I was even a lot, but that was that was just a VHS that we had, and I loved basketball, and I just thought that was really cool. I wanted to be a were wolf and play basketball too, right, that sounds awesome. So I watched Teenwolf a lot, and then it's Happy Gilmore Tommy Boy.
Speaker 3: And that's not making you young, dude, I watched those movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean I was, you know, I was a kid, like I was, you know, young young. So so again I I there's I grew up. I grew up in the nineties but born in the eighties, so like nostalgia for me is nineties and I'm an I'm an Adam Sandler fan. He's certainly made some bad movies too, especially in More in his later years, but like when he became a movie star, not just known for being on SNL, like that was sort of like whenever, like anything he put in theaters, we were going to see, uh and whatnot. So yeah, and honestly, I watched a lot of sports movies like Mighty Ducks. That movie. Yeah, that was how you of course you know what you love hockey, have you.
Speaker 3: Seen well like Coach Carter's one of the sports movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that was when I was in high school.
Speaker 3: That's a good one saying so you dude, you and John Bolt there are.
Speaker 1: So you're You're You're Fast times Ridgemont High Air era. Yeah, I'm more nineties John. I know you don't watch a ton of movies. You say, this is the best question you use. You use your time more wisely than most of us, Right, you don't waste a lot of time watching TV and movies. I think you're missing out, but hey, you're You're probably more productive and you've been that way your whole life and you're content, So you know, I get it, not passing any judgment, but what when you think of watching a movie as a kid, is there one that pops up? If not? Like again, I get it because I've I've had this conversation with John before about how you know he's just you know, he's I feel like he's somebody that doesn't watch TV.
Speaker 3: About it.
Speaker 1: I would come up with something, but I hate that. I don't have a good answer for you.
Speaker 3: I really don't.
Speaker 1: And oh yeah, and and for those thinking like, oh he's he's spinning his wheels because he's been put on the spot. No, my man just doesn't watch TV and movies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I will say, my wife and I do watch a lot of TV together, but growing up I just didn't watch a lot of TV.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this. If she wasn't encouraging you in mentioning shows that she wants to watch that you watch with her and then enjoy, would you be watching as much as you do urt No, none at all. You're an old soul, my man. You can go without television and movie. I feel like you can go without social media.
Speaker 4: And I wish if it were not for the career field that I chose, I would have deleted my social media.
Speaker 1: And what's wild is that we are in a I mean that is rare for most people, regardless of age. I would say, but you are. I think most your age, they their whole life is just being on a device, yeah, and looking at screens. And you, again, you're an old soul. I say that as a compliment. Never never changed, my friend.
Speaker 3: I don't want to change.
Speaker 1: Don't do it? Would you dare? Or you'll have to deal with the old guys like me and Scott? All right, let's get a quick update on traffic and weather coming your way right here on news Radio eight forty whas six forty seven here at Konseuckuta's Morning News with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty whas. Some really really good energy right now within the Louisville Athletic Department, and it's it's evident with what we're seeing in Omaha as Dan McDonnell and his team have have advanced to essentially the final four of the College World Series. They're gonna play later today against Coastal Carolina the Shanta Clears Who. That's not a big name brand program in really any other sport. I think they've made some waves in football, but in baseball they actually have a national championship they won within the last decade, I think it was roughly around that time, and they're very, very good. This is gonna be a tough, tough game today. But this team Dan McDonald has this year, they have shown they've got some real resilience. But I'm really having to manufacture it a little bit more on my end because I don't necessarily find Coastal Carolina as a is a team that's easy to dislike, but they're the enemy today because again, I want to see Louisville win, but they feel I guess the level of disrespect. The Associate Athletic Director tweeted this out yesterday, Patrick Osborne's the He's the Coastal Carolina Associate AD. He says, so far this week, we've had official merchandise being sold with Chanta Clear's misspelled, their color misidentified, and then he put in parentheses it's not green. And countless moments of shants Chanta Clear's being mispronounced, and their coach will let you hear a little bit of what he had to say about it, because he's he's he's not happy. I'm not sure if he's playing the disrespect card to try to motivate his guys. Look, we're always trying to find an edge when it comes to competition, but I feel like he's doing a little too much here. Everybody say it with me, Shant Clears shot to Clears, not Shant to Clear, Shanta Clears. So that was the beginning of their their hype video as their their entering the stadium out at Omaha. So, uh, again, it's gonna be a tough game, and I think there's a level of let me balance this because I don't want to act as if Dan McDonald just took a bunch of players off the street and made this run. But I think where they were at the end of the regular season seemingly all momentum drained from a season that was a good bounce back, but also there was a roller coaster type of season where you had some good moments, then you had some moments that really didn't make any sense, like the loss to Bellerman, and then some series they lost, so they kind of they were defeated, but yet they got to the postseason, really the NAA Tournament. They lost in the first round of the ACEC Tournament. But once they got in postseason play, that Friday night victory over Vandy, the number one overall seed, they they I think they've since been playing, Hey, we're not supposed to be here, let's just play loose, let's just have fun. And you have seen it. Man, College baseball in the postseason is entertaining. It's a really good product. I believe. I know others clearly believe it because the numbers are pretty strong for college baseball in this moment at this time. But how about Louisville just finding ways to give you a heart attack. Cardiac cards is a real thing, because every one of these games in Omaha have been really i mean electrifying towards the end. So we'll see what happens later.
Speaker 2: Now today, right now, the Chanta clears plus two twenty in Vegas now to win it. Louisville comes in at plus eighteen hundred lsus your plus one oh five favorite.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no doubt. Louisville is the team that has a lot of appearance is in the CWS during Daan McDonald's tenure. But this team specifically, they are they're the underdogs, yeah, in a major way. All right, let's get an update on news, and actually it's get an update on traffic and weather, and then we'll get an update on sports, and then we'll get an update on news right here on news Radio eight forty whas