Speaker 1: Not great. Yeah, okay, I think yours are better than mine? Can you hear? Yeah? Yeah, I'm good. Okay, I'm good. Yeah. These are the ones I just use at my desk. I just bring them in here. You take the ones. Yeah, and these aren't mine mine, like they're still the stations. No, but it's the one that you use mostly. Yeah, you would think four years into the career, i'd get my like a real set of head but like, nah, I'll just use whatever's available. Yeah, that's that's how I kind of AM's whatever. But nevertheless, all right, uh bulky. You know, the further we get into this, I find myself asking this question because streaming movies, while I don't think they've hit the level of cinematic movies, are definitely competing better than they used to. Yeah, for sure, I had one of those feelings yesterday. And tell me if I'm off base with this. I found myself watching deep Water and I was asking myself, why didn't this goes straight to Netflix? I didn't even think of that. Yeah, Like I I genuine liam interested. Who okayed this for a theatrical release? Is this supposed to be a write off? Is this a favor to somebody, how did we end up here? There's a couple of A list actors with mostly forgettable cast, very forgettable plot. I watched this movie less than twenty four hours ago and it's already fading from memory and it has straight to Apple TV written all over it, Straight to Amazon fill in the blank here. Do you ever wonder what goes into behind the scenes negotiations to how we end up in these kind of moments?
Speaker 2: It almost seems like it started off as a theater movie, like a like that was what it was gonna be, That's what it was always gonna be, and then it's one of those things once it gets done, we're looking at like, so why do we go to the theater for this one?
Speaker 1: Again?
Speaker 2: Like this this could easily been on real the and obviously once it is that, then it is that. I don't I mean, does that happen? I don't know behind the scenes stuff, but does that happen when something spoke to be in theaters and they're like, now we're gonna put it on streaming?
Speaker 1: I bet, Like I don't have a specific example, and I.
Speaker 2: Can't imagine it goes the opposite way where it's like, oh, this is gonna be streaming.
Speaker 1: Oh, we're gonna put This is so much better than I thought it would be, exactly because there's extra costs that go into marketing it and getting it to theaters to begin with, and I understand all of that, but this one it felt so pointless. And I'm gonna be real again. The movie's deep water. Aaron that cart Ben Kingsley, and a handful of no names.
Speaker 2: The last thing I remember Aaron that Carton, yeah, was Dark Knight. I'm sure he's done stuff since then. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: He was the president. I want to say Olympus has Fallen. Yeah, but that that was that after Dark Knight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he was also in all that Midway.
Speaker 1: Movie, wasn't he? Maybe I didn't see that way it was. It was a great movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great cast, great great story, was fantastic, and I think it was pretty close to reality to.
Speaker 1: I even go further into the past though with that card. My favorite well, I mean okay, Dark Knight's one of my favorite movies all time, but very underrated. Gem I should say then is Thank You for Smoking Yeap, where he plays the tobacco lobbyist. And that was when I found him as an actor and enjoyed him in that. I find that he plays the same character and everything he's in on the type casting. But I did enjoy him in that film because you know, it was still new. At that point.
Speaker 2: He was Miami Shark's offensive coordinator Nick Krozer. Yeah, Oliver Stone's any given Sunday, absolutely, which he didn't really. I mean, it's hard, it's hard to stand out in that cast because it was awesome.
Speaker 1: That's my favorite sports movie somebody. I was on another.
Speaker 2: Podcast on Monday night and one of the last questions they asked me was what's your favorite sports movie? And then this is a guy that's been doing this for a while and he's like, we've never had the same answer twice, So now the pressure's on me.
Speaker 1: I So I'm like trying to think, like.
Speaker 2: Remember the Titans, Friday Night Lights, Caddy Shack, you know all these.
Speaker 1: And you know what I settled on.
Speaker 2: You're never gonna guess it semi pro with Will Ferroll.
Speaker 1: Oh nice, No, it's nothing wrong with that one, That's what I mean.
Speaker 2: Don't know if it's my favorite, but I wanted to make sure I was different, and it was.
Speaker 1: It was new.
Speaker 2: Nobody had said that, Yeah, but which I knew nobody was going to say, who say semi pros their favorite?
Speaker 1: Yeah, not a single person except for me. Yeah, and I don't even know if I believe it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, any given Sunday is that is a fantastic sports movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anytime when the NFL disowns it and says nothing could be further from the truth, I'm like, oh, I bet you that's right up against the trip. I will say this.
Speaker 2: Do you remember this is like way back in the day, ESPN had this scripted drama called Playmakers. Yeah, and and the NFL was like, no, this is yes off the air. I didn't think it was all that good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I didn't really care for it all that much. See, I think it was hitting a little too close to home.
Speaker 2: I thought it was kind of hokey, Like yeah, I mean like, uh, you know, the whole gay wide receiver thing.
Speaker 1: Then I'm trying to think what other weird. It wasn't as redundant as it is today though, Like then it was like what.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe a little bit yeah maybe maybe back then it was it was a little ahead of its time. And maybe yeah, I mean think maybe if people watch it now would be like, oh, this is hokey garbage.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I think that that is probably accurate. I still have a younger image of it in my mind, right, yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The other thing to bring it back to deep water Ben King's the last thing I remember him ment was wonder Man. Yep, you know, so like both superhero esque things. So I wonder if this is just like, hey, we gotta get yeah, we gotta get back out there and do some serious and I thought serious movies.
Speaker 1: I thought they did well with it and hot take, and then I promise I'll stay away from his career for the rest of this podcast. I thought he was a terrible two face, Like I thought he was very miscast as two Face. I don't think he portrayed what the character is supposed to be.
Speaker 2: The line when he's laying in bed and he's talking to was he talking to Commissioner Gordon.
Speaker 1: After he's been set on five? Okay?
Speaker 2: And uh no, maybe he's talking a joker. I can't remember, but I remember when you say it, when he says the line Rachel, when he yells out Rachel, Yeah, that's the Yeah, Well, okay, what I mean, was that believable at all see just.
Speaker 1: And you're hitting on something there. For me, the scene that does it is when he's flipping the coin before he transforms, and he has one of the jokers henchmen who was dressed up as a soldier at the parade who had Rachel Dawes's name to David, who was also an ant man. Yes, anyway, but he's flipping the coin over and over again like I wouldn't and like the actual interpretation of two faces that he always had the evil half in him, and like to portray it as him getting set on fire released the evil half kind of makes it lat you like it's always supposed to be. He was always two sides of the coin, but his acting was so questionable the way he would just scream and anger and stuff. You're like, you really just sound like a lunatic and not someone that has this uncontrollable rage bubbling in him.
Speaker 2: Not that I want to turn this into the Dark Knight episode, but isn't there something to the fact that, like, we the audience have to believe that he is the Gotham's White Knight, Yeah right, and they have to portray that. So shouldn't he be a little bit awkward in that scenarios as a quasi bad guy, like because he doesn't do that, you know what I mean, you know where it's it's it has to come off a little bit not believable because he's never he's not supposed to be in it, because he's such a good guy.
Speaker 1: And I don't know, I'm just say we could just this movie sucks so much that I could just do the entire time it did suck. It sucked, man, and like, here's what sucks about that? And I'm not even afraid, Like I will watch it with my son. By the way, he said it was good. Yeah, I'm sure. I think I would have loved it in a in a different environment. I'll even tell you this because you put the seed in my head which lowered my expectations in about an hour in I was like, ah, you know, this isn't terrible. And the way it wrapped up, I was like, I don't know why anything? Why did we do this? Why or why am I here right now? Why is why is anything? What's the theme of this movie? So like, if you if you want my honest guess, because it barely is even a part of the plots, But if I had to guess the deep water is a metaphor for the dude's life, you know, sick kid trying to make ends meet, is behind career wise where he should be, and being stuck adrift in the ocean is kind of a metaphor for where he was professionally in life. That was kind of at least my inter family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now, did you also think it's ironic? And I don't think this is a spoiler, so I'm going to say it. They weren't necessarily in deep water, no, yeah, I mean where this plane crashed, there was a coral reef right there, and and it was problematic actually that they weren't in deep enough water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when it came to right So that was irritating. When they landed the plane. Even in my inner monologue, I was like, oh, Ben Kingsley like a pro, We're not even worried. And then you know, the wheels came off. I was like, oh, no, never mind, a lot of you are done. I still see Trevor Slattery. Yeah. Now, when I watched Ben Kingsley, he even had a few Trevor Slattery moments, didn't they without he probably filmed him at the same time, you know what he probably did. Actually, but if they this movie isn't important enough to enter the cultural zeitgeist. But I found myself and again I'm not gonna say there's nothing major to spoil, but I am gonna hit like, obviously there's a plane crash. I think that's in the trailer. You're not spoiling anything. The way they portrayed it a it looked way more realistic than it had any business looking in this movie. I think they did a very plane crash. But but if this would get if this were a more important movie, then it would be spoofed by like a scary movie or a naked gun or something like that. I could see them redoing the plane crashing and showing like a thousand people getting hit in the head with luggage, because it showed so many people getting whacked in the head with stuff, just one after just like it was in such quick secession. I'm like, if this were like, I can't believe this isn't a parody because they're doing it so much. I was like, if this were a better movie, it would have been parodied in that way because it was Did you notice it when it was happening? Because I noticed it. I was like, man, a lot of people are getting hit with luggage, and I'm sure that might happen, like maybe they asked someone in a plane crash like hey, what was it? Like, You're like, oh, you wouldn't believe it. But the luggage is flying everywhere. And that's the most dangerous part because I've never seen most.
Speaker 2: People who are in a plane crash like that don't survive to tell about.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean you find someone that did, unless your Brad pitting World War Z. Yeah, exactly, Like we had that reference. It's a reference. So there was that, and.
Speaker 2: I I'm not I remind me. I'm going to bring this up before we sign off. I want to talk about the ending and sort of how things get resolved. Yeah, and how there some people are taken out of this situation because there's something that It's something my son caught and I didn't even think about till after.
Speaker 1: I'm like, wait a minute, you're right anyway, Okay, okay, So the thing I.
Speaker 2: Noticed right away is damn the character Dan played by I believe his name is Angus Simpson.
Speaker 1: This is the guy Max.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right away, you hate this guy right away, you know, he's not a likable character, okay, And I felt like I was watching a version and I know I referenced this last week or two weeks ago. I felt like I was watching a version of the twenty one Jump street car chase scenes where I kept waiting for this guy to get it because you know, you point point this stuff out to me like, Okay, this guy's gonna die, like and I kept waiting, and there is all these like, you know, false alarms with this guy, and I'm like, how much more does this guy have to be doing to become even more unlikable before they finally bump him off. It was that irritated the heck on me. And by the way, if you look on the wiki of this film, which I did afterwards, obviously, it says starring and there's three.
Speaker 1: Actors and it's he's.
Speaker 2: The third one behind. Yeah, so he must be like I'm sure I've seen him another stuff. He reminded me of Dan Fogler, who was in The Goldbergs, who was in The Walking Dead. He was in Balls of Fury to remember Balls and Fury. Oh, he was the main guy in there. He kind of I thought it was him at first. I was like, is that Dan Foge It wasn't.
Speaker 1: I was getting Paul Giamanni vibes off the vibe or man's Paul Giamoni. Yeah, that I was getting off him, and I thought he bit it unceremoniously, and like, I think that was a major problem. At one point towards the end, a woman gets scooped off of the raft by a shark and I don't even know who it was. It happens fast, they barely draw attention to it, and everybody moves on by the time that it happens. And I'm not saying like, and I think we've talked about this before, but probably my favorite like creature feature is Kongs Skull Island, and that movie has like over twenty characters, and like you sit there and every time someone dies, you're like, oh, son of a bitch, like I wanted him to get back to his kids or whatever the situation is. Whereas here a lot of people die in unsarahrmonious ways. Like at one point there's like a couple of different groups and there's a flight attendant with a young boy and two other characters and there's like a early.
Speaker 2: It was essentially three groups. Yeah, the plane broke into three sections. There's people in three different sections of the plane.
Speaker 1: Right, and like for that group to get away, the early twenty something guy kind of swims away and you find out that he didn't make it in like a very unceremonious way, like it doesn't draw. I was like, wait, was that that guy? Or who did we just see right now?
Speaker 2: Well that I think the reason for that is because when he swims and there's the encounter with some other characters exactly, and.
Speaker 1: And his his.
Speaker 2: Resolution in that scene is left nebulous and you don't know. I think that's on purpose.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree, I just don't think it was done well because I found myself as a viewer who was paying attention being like, wait, was that that guy? Or is that so?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I did the.
Speaker 2: Flannel is what I'm like, Oh, that's the flannel guy, which I think his name is Matters.
Speaker 1: As I've expressed to you and for the record, because I haven't said this on this podcast, I love shark movies like The Deep Plato scares me. Like water no, like like The Wonders of the Sea is a terrifying process. There's a name for that. I'm sure about fear of access lassophobia, I believe. Yeah, that sounds right. Like I'll be honest with you, if you hooked me up to an EKG. When I was playing video games and the character gets submerged underwater, you would watch my heart like it's not an act. People like, dude, you're in your thirties. Play the game where the guy goes underwater. I'm like, dude, you don't understand. I can't it actually like psykes me out.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm the same way with heights and this is gonna this is me tm I. So anybody who wants to not hear this, tune out for about sixty seconds.
Speaker 1: Huh. You know that movie Fall? Oh?
Speaker 2: And then I was watching because I knew I wasn't gonna watch Apex Charlie's Thearren and Taron Edgerton.
Speaker 1: I might check that out. That just went on Netflix, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I knew I wasn't gonna watch it because that's it does nothing. There's a big climax scene where they're high up at the Apex and the same feeling I get to hurry up and say this, the same feeling I get, but watching that was what I got when I was watching fall, it's this tingling and my scrotum. Yeah, and I just it's a it's like kind of like you got punched in the stomach. But and it's but it's not as bad, but it's worse, you know what I mean. And I'm watching it and it's just so uncomfortable, Like why am I putting myself right?
Speaker 1: So, but so I say that to say, when you find a body in the ocean when they're all swimming and they're like, oh, didn't you recognize them, I'm like, dude, I was just hanging on for dear life in that city. I get it. Like I'm just like they even have a little mini squid moment at one point, just like.
Speaker 2: That was No, I totally get it. The other thing I was going to say with oh, the sharks. So I brought this up on your show when we were talking about this, and I said, I didn't like the.
Speaker 1: Sharks in this movie. I want to get into that, so go ahead.
Speaker 2: And and I was thinking about this, and when I was talking to you about it, I started thinking about it, and I'm like, you know, I have to kind of decide what I want. Maybe audiences have to decide what they want do we want the cartoonish sharks that seem to have this evil persona, or do we want the more realistic where these are not gargantuan megalodons that don't have an agenda, that they just all they know. How Like what did Richard Dryfe say in Jaws? It swims and it eats.
Speaker 1: It's all it knows.
Speaker 2: And maybe that's that's the more realistic version of sharks. And that's I think what we saw in this movie. And I was like, you know, it's tough because I think I prefer the non realistic ones, sure, you know, in film, but at the same time, the realistic ones, like we saw on this they should be scarier, they should hit you harder, because this is more true to life than the meg or the the super intelligent deep blue sea sharks.
Speaker 1: This is going to sound ridiculous, but I found myself leaving that theater being like, ah, so they took the moby Dick approach of creatures, because like, that's kind of the entire premise is Captain Ahab essentially has a vendetta with a whale that has no vendetta. It's like it thinks it out smarted me. No, it doesn't. It has no idea you even exist. It killed some of your crew because it was doing whale things and it is still doing whale things, and any human attributes that you are associating with this whale is a you problem. They don't jump into the psychology of it, but that is definitely the way that these sharks are portrayed. A bunch of bodies in the water, lots of blood everywhere, lots of chum in the water, both metaphorically and literally, and a bunch of sharks show up as a result of that, and it kicks into like to me, I think the biggest drawback with the sharks was I think this movie blew their entire budget on the plane crash. On the plane crash, okay, and I think the sharks did not match what the plane crash looked like visually. Yeah, I would agree with that. I think it was very quick, nothing wrong with that. I think a lot of movies are getting too comfortable showing crappy cgi like front and center, even as recently as some of the more recent Jurassic Park movies. It's like, look, I realize we've gotten a lot better than we were in nineteen ninety four, but I can tell that's a giant CGI dinosaur. You should probably play a little less fast and loose with it here, exactly so, I can appreciate that it was some quick hitters coming from these sharks, but relative to the first half hour of the movie, you can tell there was a definite reduction in quality of production value as the movie went on. That I think definitely impacted it a little bit as well.
Speaker 2: I mean, I would say that the tropes that they use, and the stories and obviously the relationships of these characters, you know, the other thing you have to figure and you know, you've been on planes before a bunch know these people you, I mean, you are total strangers with these people, and now you are thrust into a life or death situation, right, And I always think that's compelling. Walking Dead I think examined portions of that too, where people from all different walks of life somehow have to come together to collectively survive, which is what happened in this movie exactly so so so we we we got a taste of it obviously in the airport beforehand with the now there is an esports team in this now the guy who was sort of the antagonist of that esports sure, which by the way, was was that not Lily? I think her name was Lily from Pitch Perfect. I think it was as one part, like the non captain of the female of the esports team. So the the sort of the team that they were brawling with was that another esports team.
Speaker 1: No, I think that was like actual athletes.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's what I thought, because I'm like, what kind of coach is you know?
Speaker 1: Like yeah, And I think there was a little bit of how do I say this because the Meg did it as well. There's certain movies. I think shark movies play very well in China because the Meg. Yeah, oh that's true. Yeah, the Meg did this as well. There's an entire scene at one point where it's just happening in China and they do that. So like that's the scene that's in the trailer in China and if you look at it, the Meg's box office it absolutely killed it. Like I'll be interested when you start talking again, I'll look up the worldwide box office because I think we'll be like, wait a minute, it did how much? Yeah? Because this esports storyline. Maybe I'm just dating myself here, because as I've.
Speaker 2: Said there's a little element to that, but just a little.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean I maintain like, for the people listening who don't listen to my radio show, I one would be on an esports team had I been born in that era, Like I'd be like, oh no, this is my life goal. Yeah I'm going. So I'm not knocking anybody who does it, but like that whole athletess this is esports thing. I'm like, I feel like this is more of a of a Chinese thing than like not to be like to me, I'm sitting there watching like I think this is more of a stigma over there than it is over here, because I've never seen that in a movie ever. Yeah, where like they kind of have that competition with people and like, you know, the storyline goes where it goes a little hokey if you ask me, Yeah, that's a little bit. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't think about it to that degree, but I just looked at it from the standpoint of like, the esports are a thing now, it's a huge thing, so to put it in a movie.
Speaker 1: You know, we've talked about I think we've talked.
Speaker 2: About this on on this podcast before about over the last ten, fifteen, even twenty years about non binary characters. Yeah, homosexual characters, lg LBGTQ characters or whatever that their sexuality or you know, that part of their character doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the plot, or like, sure, it's just in there because it's in there. We didn't see it for a long time. Now we're seeing it more because it's it's our society as a whole has become more accepting of this as just how it is. Is this is general, this is normal.
Speaker 1: To the point where you didn't even notice that it was a part of the plot in normal, right, exactly. Yeah, So.
Speaker 2: With the esports thing, I think that I would lump that in too, maybe as well.
Speaker 1: Is it just this is.
Speaker 2: Something that you know, nobody knew what the hell it was twenty years ago, but now it's becoming more and more prevalent.
Speaker 1: Hey, let's put it into a movie. Sure. So, I don't know, I have no idea.
Speaker 2: Or maybe it was just like, you know, because the esports team was Chinese, the athletic team was American, and maybe this was a way to incorporate a racist aspect of it a little bit without being racist, you know, I don't know that that could be something too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there's probably an element of that as well that I do think esports.
Speaker 2: I think more of esports as like, yeah, it's big in America, but I do think, like, I mean, this is gonna be racist, but I'm gonna say it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One of my buddies said, playing Madden back in the day, or one of my buddies watching NFL back in the day, he's like, every team should employ a teenage Japanese Madden kid that can run proper clock management, and you know, like Madden's big in the United States. Why I would say Japanese because I think we just have this stigma and maybe it's.
Speaker 1: Racist that.
Speaker 2: East Asian people are just really awesome and the best video game players.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'll even provide you with some backup on this there so that you feel comfortable saying it, because I'm not being hyperbolic. I genuinely believe I would be one of the greatest professional gamers if I had been born twenty years later. Yeah. And there is a game available for free on the Nintendo Switch called Tetris ninety nine where you are playing Tetris against ninety nine other players at the same time, and you can send a text and stuff like that. Oh wow, you slowly like people get knocked out and you raised only one person who's still playing Tetris. And I'll play it, you know, here and there sparingly and like I'm not lying. I will get in the top fifteen every single time. And the top fifteen is Chinese letters, Chinese letters, Chinese, Chinese letters, ben Chinese letters, Chinese letters, Chinese And eventually you get to fifteenth place and it's like Mike John Tim and you're like okay, and now the American show up and it's every which is weird because isn't that isn't that a Russian game? Absolutely okay, they mastered it except for a little kid in Oklahoma's the first kid to ever beat Tetris. So I think this country is going to be Okay. It happened very recently.
Speaker 2: And uh, you know what else I recently phoned out speaking of video games. Yeah, you know how Mario says it's a me Mario yeplay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's a word. Okay. No, here's the thing.
Speaker 2: A lot of people think it was originated by saying it's Sumi Mario yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, now I'm about to be interested. To god, oh you're gonna be get your mind blown. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So a lot of people think he says because Nintendo's Japanese yes, And a lot of people say, I think he says it's a me Mario. He's actually saying no, he's saying it's Sumi Mario yes, which means super in Japanese. I found out that's a whole lot of bunk. He is saying it's a me Mario and it's Sumi. U is simply a surname in Japan and Super is like Japanese for super is like something totally different, like it's it's it's so I don't know how this happened, but like I see tiktoks or whatever people like, oh my god, I can't believe this is I always thought this was this was the case, and it's not just crazy.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. They were probably trying to cover up because that is kind of bigoted towards Italian people that you think they are a little bit Yeah, and you go look like, go play punch Out on the original Nintendo. Every single character is just a characterization of a different race. Really, I haven't noticed that it's awful, Like it's awesome. It's from the eighties' like you know, what are you gonna do? But like you go and look and you're just like, oh my god, Like everyone's like the French guy is like this pansy. It just goes on and on, like there's all these hyper characterizations. But in any event, we digress. I have to go back and look at that. Oh yeah, well, well lisha look over the roster characters later, because it's hilarious how much every single race and ethnicity is represented in this thing in one way or another. And so, I mean that was my thought process though, because it's a little known impact of the worldwide element of movies, but China's box office does have a major impact on American movies these days. A lot of people don't know that. So when you see these kind of characters, occupations, kind of storylines, you're like, oh, I didn't see that. It could be just a changing of the tide generationally, or it could just be like, hey, people in the eastern side of the planet, come check this out too, and it didn't work. The global box office is atrocious. It's almost exclusively domestic, and even that is deep water. Yeah, I think we're the only people that went to see this movie this weekend. You know what's crazy is my theater was packed. It was absolutely packed with people go and check out not as many Sark movies. I'm telling you, man, Well, no, but that wasn't the main draw. The main draw was fing Devilware's product too. I asked the people, you're talking about the parking lot, so crowded theater. But no, my theater was crowded as well. But apparently the main draw is Devilware's product too. But my theater got a lot of the strays. I didn't even know this, but if you take the back corner seat in the movie theater, which is all I really had left, the recliners don't work because that's where people walk up the steps and it's a fire hazard. Oh you can, some of them work? O. Mine didn't, and I tried both of them in the corner. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean maybe it's not true of every theater, but I know I've sad in that seat.
Speaker 1: But because I hate sitting by people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, so then I always try to pick that one because who's gonna buy the one?
Speaker 1: You know? Next to me?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, so anyway, we digress. Okay, what else did I want want to say about this film? The Okay, so I talked about how some of the plot lines were were cool of like okay, hey.
Speaker 1: We're running out of air here. Yeah, we have to make a decision.
Speaker 2: The plane is well okay, So there was the there was the section of the plane that was on the coral reef that was sort of like up and down, like the fuselage.
Speaker 1: Is that what you called the fuselage? I think? So it was up and down.
Speaker 2: Then you had the main the main one with Aaron Eckhart on it, that was now was that on something or was it floating?
Speaker 1: That was kind of confusing. I think it was just floating because Ben Kingsley was in the front there until he wasn't right, and you really didn't see the front of the plane after that, so I feel like it came off and but they don't show you. Yeah, I definitely don't see it happen, like it kind of leaves it for you to infer what happened, and you can just kind of see through the through the plane there. So I don't know how it was staying afloat to be perfectly on again, there were a lot of moments like that.
Speaker 2: Did you feel like there were I'm thinking about like other shark movies. Did you feel like there were too many characters in this movie?
Speaker 1: Again, I that's why I brought up Skull Island. You can do it right, and I think they did a good job of showing you the backstory of all the characters. Must you.
Speaker 2: Here's where I don't think that the I think that it's not the same Skull Island had a much richer richer is the wrong word, much more well known cast.
Speaker 1: Okay, sure, so the faces are more recognized.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's easy to place these you know these people and like, but like for this one, I'm trying to like get there.
Speaker 1: I agree, a lot of them look the same. Yeah. Like I was just like, who I told you a woman got scooped off. Towards the end, I was like, I don't even know who's missed. Like I am looking at the survivors and I cannot tell you who was standing there, right, And that's a problem. Yeah, that's absolutely a problem. Like I said, there's probably a few too many characters. And an hour into it, I was like, Okay, I think Bulky was too hard on this. I think the fact that it's a two hour movie it should have been a ninety minute movie, knock some of the characters out, I think is a big issue.
Speaker 2: I mentioned this to you as well. Did you feel like it's just all of a sudden like, oh, that's it. Like I felt like there was something bigger coming, like there was gonna be Yeah. I think about the final showdown of not that I want to compare this to every Shark movie ever, but the final show shoutdown of Roy Scheider in Jaws, the final showdown with Jason Statham in The meg I just I always felt like they was gonna take it to another level, and maybe I guess they kind of did with Eckhart and then Cora the Little Girl. Yeah, but then I was just kind of like.
Speaker 1: Oh, I agree, it just kind of petered out. Yeah. It screams to me a movie that filmed the plane crash and was like Son of a Bitch that was eighty percent of our budget. Yeah, and like, because it feels like there's a whole missing scene in the movie, Like, because you're right, it does feel and I am willing to throw in the final five minutes of forty seven meters down to uncaged as well into this story as well. Those last five minutes are over the top, like almost cartoonishly over the top, and I was here for all of it. But okay, I mean you.
Speaker 2: Bring that up, but like the first forty seven meters down right, yeah, the way like that that hit a crescendo.
Speaker 1: And how about that ending, that's a great.
Speaker 2: The Blake Lively one the Shallows the Shallows, Yeah, that was another awesome one where it was just like it was man versus nature.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and zooming at the anchor. Oh, what an ending. That was fantastic. Yeah, there's so many ways. It's so hard to make a shark movie that I'm like, ah, you know it missed, Like well, you know.
Speaker 2: You have said this before, and you're right. Endings are hard, like finishing a story is always it's always very difficult. Now here's before I forget, I'm going to bring it up now if you are really want to see this movie, which I think you can spend your time in a better way than maybe tune out for the next ninety seconds.
Speaker 1: Ben, how did you how did the survivors get rescued? They got on the fisher boat right.
Speaker 2: How did the fishboat of the fishing boat get it couldn't get close enough because of the coral reef?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think weren't they all in the raft and the current was just gradually taking them to deeper waters? Like I think there was a throwaway line about like the current. Okay, so I missed that line. Okay.
Speaker 2: So then basically what we're to believe as the because this is what my son brought up. I'm like, I don't even know what we're to believe is that the current the fishing boat sat there and then just had to wait for the current to take them away from the coral reef and then they rescue.
Speaker 1: That's my understanding and as to what happened. But I mean again, and like, because all of.
Speaker 2: A sudden, they're just on this on this you know, troller or whatever you call it. And I'm like, well, I thought they couldn't get close enough because and what about that whatever.
Speaker 1: We don't need to get into the whole sharks thing, oh no, but I mean, like I want to get into this ending because also nothing makes me more mad. And I know you and I are both big expendables fans, Like I don't hate on the expendables, but like they also do the bush League thing where they just steal the die hard kill a kill a helicopter with a motorcycle thing, and they act like they invented it. It's like, bro, we saw this in a movie three years ago. Yeah, Like, if you're gonna go the realistic shark route, then don't do the meg helicopter scene with the realistic sharks. Like I'm like, not only is this worse in every way than something I've already seen, but it doesn't even make sense thematically for what for what you're trying to do.
Speaker 2: What I don't understand about that part is is you know they have this dot Okay, so they're lowering this person out.
Speaker 1: Of this helicopter. Yeah, what is this person doing? I think she's gonna scoop two people up at a time, bring them up to the helicopter. I imagine. I don't know. I've never been part of a rescue, but I assume she was just gonna grab like children first and they needed flippers and and you know, and and then was it a she or he? She? And then she's like, oh yeah, drop me down, like she.
Speaker 2: She was gonna swim over to him I guess yeah, I mean that's a fair point. Also, Wow, why wouldn't I mean, couldn't it couldn't that isn't that rope long enough where they can hover right over?
Speaker 1: I would think? And and while we're on it, I am no expert on this, and maybe this is a cold hearted question to ask, Yeah, but like, is there no push this button to cut baits?
Speaker 2: And exactly that was what I was like, or somebody's got like a bolt cutters or something right there, just like snap it. I don't understand this because you're talking about, yeah, it's gonna suck for them to be in the water, but at the same time, you're saving the lives of everybody else in that helicopter and potentially everybody else on the raft who could have gotten destroyed by that helicopter.
Speaker 1: And like I'm sitting there like this doesn't feel like the way that this would happen at all.
Speaker 2: And all our Coastguard listeners, let us know, how do these helicopters work? Do they have do they have cutters to pull that away?
Speaker 1: And I realized it's a it's a crappy thing to ask because that's a human life. But you know, as Spock said, the needs of the many, the need of the of the view, and let's be.
Speaker 2: Real here, and you know what, if you're in the coast Guard, you know what you're signing up for. You know, these things happen, and.
Speaker 1: Let's be real. When he was starting to bring her up to the helicopter anyway, I was like, ah, don't save me. At that point, that was genuinely what I thought I saw it. I'm like, oh at this point, yeah, Like.
Speaker 2: We talked about the shark special effects, what do you think about the special effects of like the the the humans that were attacked, like the aftermath like of that person that they were Oh sure.
Speaker 1: It didn't stick out to me, so it's fine. Yeah yeah, And I mean the best special effects were the getting hit in the face with luggage special Yeah, that was that was like in Titanic, because that's your favorite movie. It was my favorite movie. It's not my favorite movie anymore. When they it's like they realized that, like, oh, guys, we mastered like people falling a long distance and hitting their face off of pipe technology. Let's show that five times because the audience is going to get a kick out of it. And sure enough, they were right. Every time they showed it, you're like, oh, that was pretty cool. That was that in this movie. It's like, we have mastered free falling luggage technology. Let's show the audience that we have mastered this. Speaking of that illusion, this is off topic.
Speaker 2: Olivia Rodrigo hosted SNL.
Speaker 1: This past Saturday night. Okay, the opening sketch was brilliant.
Speaker 2: It was a nineteen eighties schlocky soap opera type thing, maybe a primetime soap opera, and it was these people at the top of this staircase, this long staircase, and somebody would somebody off as a plot device to kill that character off, they would push him down the stairs. They would show him tumbling down the stairs. Sure, the way they built the set was this set was like on TV when they showed them coming down the stairs, it looked like it was, you know, they were really falling at an angle, right, But in real life, the set was built and painted on an angle. And then the staircase, while it looked like it was a staircase going down, it actually was set level. And then so these characters and they're pushed down, they're basically just somersaulting across the floor. But and and obviously the audience is who's watching this live is going crazy because of how amazing this looks.
Speaker 1: And on screen, I'm like, why is everybody laughing so hard?
Speaker 2: And then when they break it down it, you know, sometimes they'll show you breaking down the skets before they go to commercial.
Speaker 1: You see how it was set up, Like, oh, that's brilliant. Yeah, that is that now, that is mastery right there. Yeah, and there's certain I mean, like that's for comedic purposes. But like there was an Eli Roth movie called Haunt where like it's and I shouldn't even say throw directed, Okay, it's it's basically it's been done a thousand times. You're in a haunted house, but the haunted house is real, and like no one believes it because all haunted houses are fake and you don't realize it. And like you could tell that he had just learned how to do like a really realistic prosthetic of like a pole going through someone's head and then showing you the aftermath of them laying there and like five people died, like the different variations of that method, and it's like, so did he just like find out how to do this and be like I'm gonna write an entire movie around this death, and like that that really felt like what it was, and like, I swear to god, it's like they were like, Okay, we have this really good plane crash scene. We need the rest of the movie. Now, what can we do. Here's the plane crash. It's in the ocean. Okay, so sharks, Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, we'll throw it some sharks. Like does it feel like I'm that off with that assessment, because it really feels like there is a drop off from that one scene compared to everything else in the movie. I know video games do that very famously. There's a There's a leather Face movie from twenty seventeen where the first scene in the last scene are very obviously like Texas, the Texas Chainsaw, Maasacar themed, and the rest of the movie is just like stand by me. It's like basically, really yeah, it's like leather Face, but when he was a kid, and it's like they told a coming of age story and one of the children had a disability and they're like, Okay, nobody's gonna see this, but if we call it leather Face and had a scene at the beginning of the end, and now we got ourselves a chainsaw massacre movie. That's how I felt watching this movie. And it's like, we got Ben Kingsley, and we got Aaron Eckhart and we got an awesome plane crash. Let's let's see if we can make a couple million.
Speaker 2: Do you think when they have big and I don't know how this works and maybe you don't either, but when they have like bigger named Hollywood actors like this like Kingsley, who, by the way, is he not an Academy Award winning actor?
Speaker 1: Okay not only an Academy Award winning actor, but he won a Movie Award for playing for can Go Gandhi? Yeah? Yeah, which like in this era of like what you can't curst that. Let's be real anyway, carry on, Well, when did Gandhi come up? Was that eighties or nineties? Eighties or nine? Yeah, one of those two. But that was bad. That was bad era, different era, but yeah, absolutely, like it's always been done, is my point. Yeah, go on. So Harvey Dent was played by Billy D. Williams in the nineteen eighty nine Batman, and no one even batter than I Like, it's just it's a different. Well, it's different, it's different.
Speaker 2: I think people have a problem with it when you're whitewashing it, but when you're when you're doing the opposite of whitewashing it.
Speaker 1: Nobody else tell that to Heimdalf. But okay, well, but I'll say this too.
Speaker 2: There are something like because Marvel does this right, absolutely, And there's a lot of people that have a problem with yeah, switching the gender, switching the race. Yeah, I brought it all right anyway, But yeah, he's Fury. Is is a is another big example.
Speaker 1: And but that's an example that went so well that now it's been changed in the comics. I didn't know that they were like, actually, this is what Nick Fury looks like. Now, why do they do that? Yeah, they just were like, nah, he's he's a bald black Oh my god, because wow, Samuel Jackson ate that role alive. Like no one was questioned it. You're like, oh, no, that's Nick Fury, obviously, that's Nick Fury.
Speaker 2: We're not even I wonder if I wonder if they even consider when they're casting for Nick Fury, if they even considered a white actor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, you know, they throw him in an after credits scene, they're like, oh, maybe this will become something down the line. I can't remember where I was going with this. Now you were asking me when you have these A list actors, because you said.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, do you think they get paid based on screen time?
Speaker 1: In other ways? Okay? So like so, so do you think I can't ask this as well? I was spoiling it. Do you think as far as Ben Kingsley's role okay you.
Speaker 2: Said it now, yeah, that they were able to get him on given that, Yes.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's absolutely. I'll be real with you. I was going to make the joke before I had even seen it, and I was like, so after the fifteen minutes that aaronet Cart and Ben Kingsley are in this movie were just left with I assumed both of them were going to be gone on very early on all the yep. I was fairly certain it was to get butts in seats and then here's you know, the cast that you're actually going to be enjoyed for the rest. I'm pretty good in anticipating those kind of moments, especially in movies like this, and I assumed neither one of them.
Speaker 2: Was the example where that's happened though, Ben where they kill off both well not even kill off, but like just get rid of both or or in this case all off the.
Speaker 1: Top of my head. And it's gonna be a hilarious example. But there's a movie called I believe it's called The Blackening, which was a horror comedy. No, I don't believe, so predominantly black cast in the first two characters in the movie are Jay Farrow from Saturday out Live and I'm blanking on what the woman's name was, but she's a very famous black actress. And they even make a comment in the scene and they're like, unless, of course you sink all your money in to some A list actors, but you only have them for a couple of minutes, you know, something to that effect, and by the end and it's just like one of those kind of moments. But if I thought about it long, I probably get better examples of it. But all right, let's let's what are we doing on time here? How much time do we We've been going for forty three miles? Okay, we got time? Yeah, let's play a game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's called is this shark movie better than that Shark movie?
Speaker 1: Yeah? All right, I'm here for it.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna I'm gonna give give all of them that I can think of. I'm sure I'm gonna forget some. You can bring them up. Yeah, okay, so we're comparing all these to deep Water. Okay, I do this on my fantasy football. I love this shows where we we we play it would you rather? And it's all players going right around the same spot and rafts and to try it because like some people are like, oh, I take him over, this guy over this guy, like oh wow, you're really high on you know, Aaron Jones or something like that.
Speaker 1: Anyway, so let's do Battle and Warren all season. In this season, I was just like, who do I put them? Yeah? Exactly?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I forgot the name of the movie deep Water or Jaws the Revenge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Really, maybe I shouldn't start off with but no, I think it's a good. It's a good because it is better than that. Okay, so Jows three better than that? I would agree, Yeah, Jaws two, we're pushing it, but I'd still say better. No, Jows two is better? You think, Oh, no question? Okay, Like I don't. I don't think.
Speaker 2: I think there's a deep, yawning chasm between the quality of Jaws two and Jaws three. I mean, do you remember we talked in like, granted this movie is older, special effects are different, but the last scene of Jaws three it was like you were moving a piece of construction paper across a screen. Yeah, it was the word. I mean, I can't believe lewis all the I'm not comparing, but I'm talking about because like you're like, well, we're pushing it, but it's this is still better.
Speaker 1: Than Jos two. Josh two I thought was brilliant. The the the.
Speaker 2: Whole aspect of being trapped with the electricity and the kids are out there. Kids are dying, by the way in this in Jaws two. Yeah, I mean think about when that came out. We're kids, We're kids being killed off by sharks.
Speaker 1: That sentence right there changed my mind. I'll give it. I'll give them because you're exactly I was watching this movie yesterday infer what you want from this statement. I was like, they need to kill one of these kids for me to be invested. It's like, it's twenty twenty six, Yeah, let's kill these kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and quite frankly, you know, the expectation is like because like I'll watch a movie like this and I'll be like, they're not gonna kill one of these kids, and then when they do, You're like, oh my god, Well that's what it takes.
Speaker 1: That's what it takes. You got a shock audience or somehow. I'm right there with you. So yeah, you got me on board. I'll give them to Jaws, and obviously Jaws as much I'm not even all right?
Speaker 2: Is forty seven meters down the sequel? What's it called on cage? Forty seven meters down? Uncaged or deep water?
Speaker 1: I think forty seven meters down on Cage is the best shark movie.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, so I really what the wrong way on that one? Forty seven meters now?
Speaker 1: Still better? Still very good?
Speaker 2: Tell me which film so I know which which one you're talking about?
Speaker 1: Okay, obliterate this movie the shallows Shallows? Yes, I agree. I agree with you so far and everything. Deep blue C YEA deep blue c. Yeah it's not close. Yeah, like there's no scene in what like what shark movies? Am I forgetting Shark Nato? Okay? I didn't even tell you my Shark Nato story. Yeah, Iron Zering. Is that the lead?
Speaker 2: Yeah, from Beverly Hills. Nine O two went on, Oh yeah, I spoke with him about Shark Nado.
Speaker 1: How did I speak with him? Well, I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: Uh, one of the other jobs I worked for, we have a presence online and sometimes people call in to place orders for watches, accessories, what have you. Sure and I have taken orders from some athletes whatever. And I get an email from my boss one morning and he said, we we have this thing.
Speaker 1: Called frog call. Can you fraud call this.
Speaker 2: Guy because we see stuff like billing and shipping doesn't match up, or IP address looks weird and it's like for something really expensive or whatever. So we called the person to try to like interrogate him a little bit, not into that's a strong one, I know what you mean, but you know, it kind of suss out and whether we well ion Zering had placed an order. Okay, So we're like, I mean this has gotta be fake, right, So can you call this guy? I'm like yeah, So I called him up and I'm like, uh, yeah, is this Ion? Because I knew he does Ion, not Ian, and like he has this sign. Yeah, this is Ion, And I just I'm like, I just want to confirm some details on this order, blah blah blah. So I like started, you know, and I was like, listen, I hope you don't mind me asking, but you're ion Zering, the the actor, right, and he's like, oh yeah, and uh. And I talked about Beverly Hill's nine O two one, oh, like, oh, big fan whatever, not that I was a big fan, but I watched it whatever, and he's.
Speaker 1: Just kind of like, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And then I just mentioned Sharknado once to this guy, and it was like the floodgates of open. I couldn't get him off the phone. He was so excited about I think this was how many are there now at least five? I think this was between three and four or two and three. And it was before that next one had come out, and he's like, oh, yeah, dude, we're making another one.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be great.
Speaker 2: And he's telling me all this stuff about it, and I'm like, I can't believe I'm sitting at work right now talking with Iron Zeroing, the star of Shark Nato, Like I'm hosting a talk show and he's promoting the film Tea on television.
Speaker 1: I was had to be on the phone with it for fifteen minutes. I left ten minutes. These phone calls normally take ninety seconds. It was crazy. Anyway, Well, this is actually gonna make that story so much worse than Yeah, this movie's deep water is better than Sharknado. Yeah, I think. I mean, like the thing with no disrespect. Now, he seems like an awesome dude. No, it is an awesome and I don't want to be a jerk, but I don't like those movies.
Speaker 2: But awesome dudes can make bad films. Yeah, I don't think. I don't know. Sometimes I think, like the shark Nato thing, the first one was so campy.
Speaker 1: And and just unseerious.
Speaker 2: Didn't didn't right and right and so, And I think that's how people took it to the point where it's l L random.
Speaker 1: I said that to you yesterday. I don't like that stuff, right, sod this for randomness sake. You lost me. It's got to be done. Good, have fun, good luck, don't die. Yeah, cool, you're you understand where the line is and you took it right there. Shark Nado's like what if? What if? What's his name? Baywatch? Oh my god? How am I Hasselhoff? What if he's the president? And then he goes to outer space and he shoots the and like, I'm not even making this up, like that's actually part of the plot. It's just like, okay, guys, that's that's why. Uh ye.
Speaker 2: Stir Fry is a big Paul Walker fan, and he like unsurprisingly and.
Speaker 1: He they did start sucking, well not sucking getting worse.
Speaker 2: But but he'll he does this stuff where he'll make up different reasons of how he feels about something when we really know why he feels about And so we knew that when Paul Walker died, he was gonna be like, oh, yeah, these aren't as good, and he's just like yeah, I mean and like now he's like I can't even and he used to love fast yeah, and he's like, I can't.
Speaker 1: Even watch these anymore.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's these guys are just these chumps stealing DVD players and now they're being sent by the government into space.
Speaker 1: I mean, give me a break. When they're jumping buildings in Abu Dhabi, that was completely acceptable. But I do maintain it peaked at seven and it's been on a gradual, gradual decline.
Speaker 2: They could they could be definitely bring it back to Yeah, I'm not going to disagree with you, bring it back to Sharknato. I don't know what the intention was of the first Sharknado. Sure if they meant to be that was straight to TV sci fi?
Speaker 1: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, where where they meant to be? Where was it meant to be something that we were supposed to kind of like be laughing at him?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think so.
Speaker 2: Okay, I didn't know about the first one, but I know about the rest because they really embraced that that esthetic, right, and so Sharknado, Yeah, it's technically a shark movie, but I it's it's I.
Speaker 1: Put it in.
Speaker 2: It's like a different genre shark movie, right, you know, So it's it's tough for me to like put like involve that in.
Speaker 1: Having the show.
Speaker 2: What was the other shark movie that just came out?
Speaker 1: Oh, Thrash, thrash. I haven't seen it. I haven't either. I wonder where that would rent. Yeah, maybe I'll try and check it out this week at some point we can do that. Yeah, okay, but I will say like there was no moment like granted, I doubt there's as many people that like Deep Bluecy as much as me. Like I've seen it way too many times and I can.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be honest with you, anybody I talked to you about Deep Bluecy tells me how much they love it. I have not met anybody who's like, oh, yeah, that movie was trash.
Speaker 1: And like I talk about I said, like, if this movie were better, if it were a zeitgeist divining film deep Water that is, yeah, they would mock the luggage thing. Samuel Jackson being eaten by that shark is campy. It's silly, it's funny, and it's super memorable. Like it was just like, oh they got they got they got him that way, like in the middle of his pump up speech, Like that's the way you do this, camp Right.
Speaker 2: You were going to have a mount Rushmore of shark movie moments, Yeah, you cannot have it without that moment, right, Like I'm trying to think with the mount Rushmore b Shier blasting the gas tank, Yeah, sure that's gotta be one, obviously, Nick Nick fiery Samuel Jackson being eaten by the shark.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think what else I'd almost give two from that movie and either have ll cool. J you ate my bird? Oh yeah, that was all right. She might be the smartest animal on earth, but she's just an animal, right, Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the the the electric cable scene and Jaws two. I mean you could make the case and and and I think a strong one.
Speaker 1: When it comes to shark movies, the most memorable scene of any shark movie ever made, it might be that Samuel Jackson, So I think so. And it's just like, and how old is that movie? Thirty year three?
Speaker 2: Okay, so almost twenty five years now, yeah, and we still remember it, And like, I don't know, And when is the Academy gonna do a tribute to Shark movies and have a Shark movie montage because like you know, they always say the best action for that last in memoriam, that would be the last thing they show and the Shark movie montage at the Academy Awards. You know.
Speaker 1: What's what's funny about that movie has a little bit of common Os family lore is that my dad makes very good scrambled eggs. And how does he make him? Does he put milk in them? Yeah? Well okay, so you might already know where this is going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, because I told my wife not to put milk in because ll COOLJ said it's a mistake in Deep Blue Sea.
Speaker 1: So is he saying just do it, Sam's anything or is there because he's like, I don't. I don't matures add milk, but this is a mistake. And then the scene cuts right and it's like, what's the second half of that sentence? Like what should he because my dad uses milk and it's delicious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I I so I stopped adding milk to my eggs after my scrambled eggs when I make it, I would can now, but I haven't added anything else to it.
Speaker 1: And you think it made it better. It's fine.
Speaker 2: It doesn't sound like it's better. It's not worse, Okay, I mean, I'll tell you that. The I mean, I'm sure there's added fluff and there's added creaminess to it a little bit.
Speaker 1: I think that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, i'd agree, but but ever since then, I can't. Even even if I believed it tastes better. But this is how my adult brain works. Even if it tasted better, I'm like, nah, man, LL COOLJ said, don't.
Speaker 1: Add milt eggs. I'm not doing it. He's ll cool J. Yeah, for god seeing those stuff. Yeah, but I mean like that one, like there's opportunities. This one it just felt like so forgettable. Didn't feel like anyone was having fun. It didn't feel like anybody wanted to be there. And like, I know, we normally wait a little closer to our actual ratings, which we're probably pressing up against it, but I pulled Rotten Tomatoes up a moment ago, and like, are we the idiots? What is it like? Eighty seventy three seventy seven? Wow? Yeah, we might people love sharks. It's just it's unreal.
Speaker 2: You could add a documentary Sharks Sharks never if you asked me, if you were like Ben, I've rigged this place to blow, and if you don't come within five percentage points of what this is, I would have guessed.
Speaker 1: Twenty eight percent. I wouldn't have guessed that. I would have guessed my critics. You wouldn't have said twenty eight percent, oh my critics. Uh yeah, I could have seen that. Yeah, I don't know if I would have gone that low, but yeah.
Speaker 2: That would you have been up to sixty eight because I would not know, I would have we would have both we would have both died.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's keep explosives away from us for future reference, because like, oh boy, this hurts.
Speaker 2: Like do you think that this movie would have been better had they would have had those little meetic moments? Yeah, you know, one thousand percent.
Speaker 1: I think you had so many characters like to do fun things with in a shark movie that wasn't a just complete slog Like I think that's what it was. Is this movie is just super heavi. It was super heavy the entire time. Yeah, and like you're like even towards the end when you find him what he scrolled the pictures of his family and they're just like, oh my god, Like there's this whole side plot in here there. But they talked about that, they hint at it, but like then they really hit you in the fields on the way home, and like, I'll be real with you, man, I think there were probably five or six empty seats in the theater. And like this is one of those ones where the credits start rolling and like it's not a black screen, it's like the ship sailing off into the sunset. Well, the credits roll. I don't think the first name hit the top of the screen. No one's butt moved, and I was out the door. I was like, Okay, that's enough of this. Yeah, and and I was like, this isn't a Marvel movie. You guys aren't getting an after credits scene at least I hope not, because I was getting the hell out of the one. I mean, I shouldn't say that. I assume there was not one. I was so over it and on a quick on a quick tangent as well, just about my theater experience. Shrink Flation has hit the movie theaters, and the large popcorn is smaller now for that same price, which is so much horse crap. They gave me. It was a themed box for It was for different movies like Sheep Doctor or something she Detective. Yeah, we could have watch that.
Speaker 2: I heard it's like Knives Out Meets. What were they describing Knives Out Meets? I don't know, us acres or something. It doesn't matter. Oh, I was sitting there. We could have been watching Animal Farm. We could have been watching Hokum.
Speaker 1: I'm sitting there like, yeah, we could have watched anything else, and I would I feel like it would have been better.
Speaker 2: Finally, America disagrees with me. But but what is Hokum coming at for Rotten Tomatoes. I can let you know here, Yeah, look that up. And just I just want to make sure we have exhausted all the significant shark movies of our lifetime. There's not another shark movie that we would want to compare to.
Speaker 1: Oh, open Water. We forgot about open Water technically not a shark movie, but I'll allow.
Speaker 2: How is it not a shark Well, I guess it's not a shark movie.
Speaker 1: It's just at the very end it ends with sharks. But yeah, like there's that one love that, There's that one rom com that ends like it's like it was actually nine to eleven, Like, that's not a nine to eleven movie. What was that? I don't remember what it was called, but like you're like, oh, are they going to end up together? And it zooms out and like he's like looking at the newspaper and it was September eleventh, tre Towler and like that was the ending.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not a nine to eleven movie. Like, oh yeah, open Water is not a shark movie. But I also would probably give the nod to deep Water.
Speaker 1: I know, I know. Open Water is like like it's like a creep factor with you.
Speaker 2: The problem with open Water for me is is well number one. I'm surprised that you can even sit through it given your.
Speaker 1: It was a lot like what do you call it, fesala thilasophobia, gilasophobia. Yeah, because there is a lot of like you know, yeah, that's why I was into it.
Speaker 2: The psychological terror to start. I mean it starts halfway through the film where you're just sitting out there and there and.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, there's just total you have nothing. Not to get too dark about it, but I would absolutely choose just dying in the plane and crash over what the rest of the people on that floor that Like, I would be like no, And I mean I'm not a father, Like I don't have other lives that I don worry about, Like you know what, I don't want to deal with whatever's waiting for me at the bottom of those waters. So I'd rather I'm probably not gonna survive this.
Speaker 2: And you know, and that's the other thing too, is like we were so conditioned in the movies of like people getting a happy ending and that's not reality, not always.
Speaker 1: No, absolutely that would have made this better.
Speaker 2: What's that they never if like yeah, like nobody survives. Yeah, Like if it were like the movie buried. Oh god, yeah, and you like think like they're.
Speaker 1: Coming and you're like, no, we're in a totally different part of the ocean than that, and then it's over. But they can't do that because that trope has been done before. It has it has been But yeah, I maintained if you're in the mood for a shark movie, I feel like forty seven meters down to Yeah, there a lot better, but like specifically forty seven meters, Like have you seen it? Have you seen them? I saw the first one. I have not seen. You need to see this, I know you have. You see the second one? You see the second one, and tell me you should have watched that for these purpose.
Speaker 2: I feel like I've seen clips of it on YouTube, you know, do Justice, but I haven't watched I haven't sat down at.
Speaker 1: Ho Combs at eighty eight eighty three, and I have a feeling. But I mean, like that doesn't mean anything anymore. If deep water with its seventy water, that's broken rotten tomato. Yeah, so like nothing is anything anymore, Like I want to read.
Speaker 2: Specific Kamonos has a message for America, What the hell is wrong with you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? The human Drama element between the passengers presides just enough context to carry this light and predictable but garish and bloody. F you you don't forgettable, forget anything new. Direct Rennie Harlan is merely spit polishing his same old bag of shark tricks. I don't know what you guys, here we go. Here's a crappy one. It prefers to blood to spend two hours rehashing elements that even newbies to shark based cinema will find devoid of any real inspiration. Yeah, I want to find someone who loved it. It seems like everyone's like, Okay, here's a bee in the end. Deep Water feels less like a full plunge into the genre and more like a cautious dip. It has moments that ripple with tension, which I agree with. There's moments where I was like, oh, I even said an hour in, I'm like, god, Bulk, he was too horrib on this movie, and it just dragged. It has moments to ripple attention, but there's space too far apart to fully satisfy. I feel like that might just but I still wouldn't give it like I'm in like four out of ten range on this movie, like B feels high.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like I was gonna.
Speaker 1: Say four, we can say the same thing. I like to be different. Well, I said range. I'm trying.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to trying to like come up with a good re Could I give it a four and a half for like for me, five is like average, like it's right in the middle, and this was below average. So yeah, I think I gotta go if you're going three and a half, I'll go four. Yeah, if I'm going if you're going four, I'll go three. This is the worst movie I've reviewed, the worse than the three Can two point zero.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was at five there. This is like on pace with the what was the one undertone? Oh yeah, what was that one undertone? Undertone? Yeah, I don't remember what I gave it, But I hated that movie and like America, I loved that movie. Yeah, that's just I don't understand this country, which that might be what happened with Hokum as well, because Hokum gave me undertone vibes like that was part of why I was like, I don't want to do this and the other thing with Hokum.
Speaker 2: Now, if we were to see that now we know what Rotten Tomatoes has and maybe we would not enjoy it because of the expectation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a very good chance, like I will catch that one eventually. But I was sitting there and like my go to experience with that was I was between I think I might have told this before, but it was my birthday and we were between Pirates of the Caribbee and the original and twenty eight days later, the original, which I thought was overrated, and I picked twenty eight days later, and like, Pirates ended up being one of my favorite films of all time. Like, I can't believe I fricking And there's a chance if HOCM turns out to be awesome, this will live on an infamy that we picked. And I'm not blaming you because I was on board with deep Water as well. I was like, oh, yeah, that looked awesome.
Speaker 2: I brought up Hokum because I thought that's it, you know. I was like, yeah, you know what, that's fine, we can watch Hokumb. But then I didn't realize what a shark centophile you are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard to talk me out of one, but this one did a good job.
Speaker 2: I wonder if this is gonna like keep me away from when the next Shark movie comes out.
Speaker 1: If I'm like, there will be a lingering, there'll be a taste in my mouth. Was this better or worse than primate? Because I liked primate? I remember, I think this was worse than primate. Okay, it was worse than that's the right answer.
Speaker 2: Well, because primate was like that that was so original. Yeah, you know, and like I mean a pet monkey or whatever, gorilla whatever, whatever, it was a primate of sorts. I've seen sharks attack humans in the water before. I haven't seen a gorilla hanging out guarding a swimming pool ready to kill.
Speaker 1: People, which, by the way, p s A. Sharks don't do that to humans, Like like do you know this, Like after Jaws, we almost hunted sharks to extinction because humanity as a whole was like these have got to go wow, and like there had to be PSA's like, for the record, sharks will absolutely leave you alone, not always unless the people, not always, but by and large, uh, they are not the predators that the movies make them out to be, at least towards humans. Yeah, I mean there is there is, and there's a like, yeah, if you if you don't know that story, look that up, because that's real. We almost haunded them to extinction. There's there's all there's all these gee set work at my work. Now we deal with that here. And you know he had.
Speaker 2: All these goslings hatch recently. Yea, so now they're super protective of their young. Sure, I get anywhere close to him, their tongues stick out and they start hissing at me.
Speaker 1: You know, I've been charged by a goose before I fell in the mud. It sucked. Yeah, I've been there.
Speaker 2: And then I got charged by another one the other day. And I brought up at work with the commission, one of the guys I work with. I'm like, what am I supposed to do? I mean, are these things?
Speaker 1: Can they kill me? You can? Can they kill me? But can they hurt attack? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And he's like, well, technically their beaks are like strong enough because they'll bite into you and then they'll tear. Sure, but as long as you like make yourself big and loud, they're gonna run away.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: I was just trying to sneak by and he's like, no, that's the worst thing you can do. Oh yeah, their Spidey sense or their Geese sense goes up.
Speaker 1: Oh dude. I told this story because we had like a bear warning. Like a bear was like in downtown Appleton or something while not that long, I don't know if it was Appleton, it might have been some I don't remember where specifically, but like in my elementary school. Now, I'm a city kid, so like we're not necessarily the most nature savvy, but we were taught if you're in a if you're in a bear situation, that bears can't run downhill, and then if you run downhill, it will follow you and it will stumble over itself and that's how you get away. Complete bullshit, like none of that is real, and bears can absolutely run down hill. It will maul you. Yeah, And like I'm sitting there and I'm like, why would they tell us that. Aren't you supposed to pretend you're dead? Isn't that what it's like? If it's brown lays down, and if it's black fight back or something to that effect.
Speaker 2: I might have mixed it up, so don't quote me with that out I was watching the Outdoor Channel the other day. I love Meat Eater with Steven Ronella where he goes hunting, and then the last segment is him like cooking up and preparing a meal out of whatever he harvests.
Speaker 1: Or I love that stuff.
Speaker 2: They harvested a moose and they and they had to hang because they were way out from their camp. They had to hang their meat fifteen feet in the in the tree, so the bears couldn't get it. I thought bears can climb trees. Everybody thinks that they can't. And he he said, I think it was he said, grizzly bears can't climb trees, but brown bears can't or reverse. I can't remember which. So I didn't know that either. So like that that certain bears can climb.
Speaker 1: Assume they all could. That was that was my offer. I think that's the I can't listen.
Speaker 2: I'm not If I'm out in the wilderness and I see a bear, I'm gonna be peeing myself, not gonna be like, is that a brown bear or a grizzly?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? So I won't even know, So I'll just assume they all can climb. I know cocaine bear can climb trees. Yeah, Well, I saw that one. He had some motivation in his system. Yeah, like coyotes, you just got to act big. We can give you guys some nature tips here.
Speaker 2: I told you, I told did I tell you? When I was listening to the former morning show on the Score when they were talking about what the Cocaine Bear sequel would be like with picking a drug and then what about meth Shark.
Speaker 1: Which if that comes out, we'll get that a way for this that salt octopus. Sign me up. There was a dude meth shark. That is what we need to recover from this movie. A real life story. A guy was feeding meth to a squirrel, a pet squirrel, and he was training it to attack people on his behalf. And that's real. How do you train somebody on it? Who is happening in Alabama? You tell me? I'm sure it wasn't Florida. This is Florida, Florida. It's that American South that we love so much. I think we're about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's put a pin in this so next week we will not be It will be the the standalone entry into the Marvel Cinematic Universe television which is going to be the punisher I believe it's just over an hour long, So it's more of like a special sort of what they did with that monster thing that I can't remember it was called a couple of years ago, but we.
Speaker 1: Will be reviewing that.
Speaker 2: Uh, and I'm sure this could be one of those rare This could be rare Ben where our podcast might be longer than the actual will work it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah it could. Yeah, we'll see it. Yeah, but that'll be next week. Uh, this is this week, deep water, don't see it uncau forty seven meters down to on cage. That's where you should be. That's what you should be taking out of this. Thanks for listening, guys. We'll talk to you next week.