Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started the five o'clock hour here on a Thursday afternoon, coffee and company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you hanging out with us. I'm refreshing this story at WLKY because it did say at the bottom here that they will continue to update the story, and there's been no update yet, which is no update a good update when it comes to the JCPS back to school stuff. So we talked about it at the beginning of the show. I know nobody tunes in to this show to hear about the JCPS back to school situation, but it did become a national story a year ago. And I know there's a lot of people listening that have children in JCPS, or maybe they have grandchildren, nieces, nephews, maybe they are teachers, and you know, it impacts a lot of people when it's the biggest school district in this state and it's you know, it's not even close, to be honest with you, and with last year being so bad, clearly there was going to be a lot of eyeballs and attention on the back to on the first day back to school this year, and I feel like, you know, less, I'm missing something. It's been very smooth considered, you know, if you compare it to last year, and yeah, four thirty, let's see here, maybe we do have an update. Yeah, it says school's let out at two ten and the latest dismissal for school was four twenty, so about forty five minutes roughly have has has it been since every school has let out? It says that around four thirty more parents began reaching out about long lines at some schools for pickup, but they also said but several also said things were running smoothly where they were, And again that's good because last year, of course, you know, some kids didn't get dropped off until around ten pm. So I'm sure not everybody's made it home yet. And there's no scenario where any school system has the perfect day when they all go back to school. But I think we're getting closer to be able to say job well done for JCPS. I think saying it now we might be speaking a little too soon. But you know, so far, so far, so good.
Speaker 3: Like if we get here tomorrow and we find out that the last kid was dropped off at you know, at least relatively close to when they're supposed to. That's a job well done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know I always hesitate to, you know, throw a party for somebody for doing something that they're supposed to do. But like, clearly, if it was easy to you know, implement a perfect scenario where kids can get to school on time with no issue and the US routes and have a staff of drivers that you know, the amount of drivers that you need. Like, clearly, it's not been easy, but you know, there's a lot of people that have been working tirelessly to try to get this thing, you know, in a situation to where it's not a national story, you don't have as many parents complaining. You're always gonna have some parents complaining. But by the looks of it, when I go to this this Facebook thread at wlky where they ask JCPS parents essentially you know, how's the day going, I'm scrolling here and again I continue to see mostly positive updates from parents, which is, you know, to be honest with you, a big surprise, A big surprise for me. Now we did us some people on the text line when I when I was when I was talking earlier about how you know, even if you don't have anybody within the school system that you you know, your kid, your grandkids, you know, you're don you don't work in the school system. You know, just out of sight, out of mind, you wouldn't. Well, I'm glad you people puted this out on the text line because you're right with you. When you have nobody involved in the school system and it's out of sight, out of mind, when you do realize.
Speaker 3: That school is back, is traffic.
Speaker 2: I mean, morning commutes in the early morning are different when school's going on. I forgot about that because you know, I haven't worked in the mornings in quite some time. But yeah, in the afternoons, I mean it's there's a lot more people out driving with buses and you know, I mean just think about this, like, think about all the people that work at JCPS throughout the city of Louisville that get off school at two something, three something for something like that is an insane amount of people that are just out on the road driving themselves from work that in the summer. I mean not to say they're not out doing stuff I'm sure they're not all just sitting at home, but you know.
Speaker 3: It's just also not a schedule at the same time exactly, so I'm sure they'll be traffic.
Speaker 2: And it does sound like the biggest complaint is just the adjustment of having so many more car riders than what they used to have, because again, one of the things that JCPS did was they no longer have busing for the traditional schools and the Magnet schools most of them. That is so big influx of car riders, which again is just gonna you know, with it being the first time they've probably had this many car writers, they're probably learning throughout these first couple of days as far as what's going to be the best strategy to get people in and out as smooth as possible. When it comes to the car rider line. At my kids elementary school, they've changed that whole plan a few different times over the years, because you know, you're just trying your best to make it as smooth as possible to get kids into school on time and get you know, parents out of there to where they can go and you know, start their day or you know, end their day by picking up the kids from school.
Speaker 3: So so far, so good.
Speaker 2: I'm going to wait until tomorrow before we give them a full on, like, you know, hell yeah, you guys did a great job. Wait to bounce back after making national news last year for you know, all the wrong reasons.
Speaker 3: Because that's exactly what they're waiting to hear. They need the Coffee and Company. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I know when Marty Poyle started the week knowing that Thursday was the day, he was hoping, Man, I just hope we can make Coffee and Company and their listeners proud at getting these kids back to school. And I'll tell you already, so far, looks like your team's done a great job. Let's let's hope you guys, hope you guys finished strong.
Speaker 3: Remember when we had a bus driver call in last year. Oh yeah, I forgot about that.
Speaker 2: I mean, he was kind of giving us some feedback as to like, you know, how they just didn't have any if I remember correctly, it was mostly just about how they don't have enough people, right, Like, it was just essentially that they cannot get enough people to do it. And he also I think acknowledged some things that have been discussed and even reported on that it's not an attractive job because of the behavior of a lot of the kids at times. So you know, I I remember feeling very bad for everybody involved about this, Not to say that they didn't deserve criticism, because again, like it's their job to get this stuff figured out, and they weren't doing their job well. But I think some of the issues that led to it just being a mess were I mean I kind of felt like, what do you want them to do? Right, Like, I mean I want to go there, But like I think, sometimes these jobs and these situation I'm just being created.
Speaker 3: That AI generated bus route, yeah, well that.
Speaker 2: Was a disaster and that was a goof too. And they did that because they didn't have enough drivers. That was the reason they went to that plan. Anyway, They just had a tough time getting drivers and they decided to do something that I think it was Boston that it did it, and Boston had a terrible experience, and they still decided to use this contractor that yeah, used artificial intelligence to kind of help route the routes for the buses. But you know, parents got to do their part two, if that makes sense. I mean, they can't be with them at school, but like, I think some of the reason that you see people not wanting to be in the education business anymore, if you want to call it that, but being in public education rather be being a teacher or working for a school in any role, is because like it's not a lucrative job by any means, and dealing with really really badly behaved kids, dangerous kids even like that's like people are gonna do that. I mean, they're gonna un else they have to or unless they just love the job. And man, you gotta love it a lot if you're dealing with some of the things that that some of these these people have had to deal with. So anyways, so far, so good, all right for those just not joining us. Some good news on the Louisville basketball front for fans. Louisville Live is coming back. They're gonna bring it back after last year not having it, uh and it's gonna be for the first time ever at the KFCM Center, which I'm I'm assuming there's there's a lot of benefits to having it in your home arena. I think you're gonna have to stage the place creatively, uh to you know, to to to have a good looking crowd. But maybe I'm wrong, Maybe I'm underestimating fans and their eagerness to get out and and see this team. It won't be a game and there's no competition, but it's really a pep rally, a pep rally on steroids where you get to, you know, see these players be introduced. They entertain as best they can with you know, I mean, you see dancing, you see you know, it's just a party. And I know that those fans that watched this team in the Bahamas, I know a lot of them are probably more eager to go to Louisville Live now than they were before because not that they weren't excited but before the Bahamas trip, but I would say they're even more excited now after how this team looked. So maybe they just close off the upper area and you sell out the lower bowl of the And if that's the case, it's going to look great in there. And it really is all about look And that's why I love when they did it at for Street at Churchill Downs. I did not see it at Slugger and I didn't hear that it was great there. But you know, I don't know that for certain, because again I wasn't there, But it looks so cool at Churchill, looks so cool here at Force Street where we are, and I'm assuming there's again my just a guess here. They don't have to pay money to go rent out the UMP Center. They would have to pay money to Force Street, they'd have to pay money to Churchill, they'd have to pay money elsewhere. And not to say that they're running out of money, but it's quite clear every university's athletic department is going to have to be very very careful how they spend money, because again you need to start saving and start bringing in more, because soon you will be on the hook to pay twenty two million annually two year student athletes, which again that's not gonna be easy for anybody to do. So maybe they'll eventually go back to doing it elsewhere down the road, but it being at the UM Center could be pretty cool, and it'll go Tickets go on sale in September. The date is October the fourth, though, and it'll set up for a nice week and Louisville will be hosting SMU and football that Saturday, so I would imagine that'll be a big weekend of visitors for really all sports, not just Pat Kelsey and his crew, but I'm sure you'll have Jeff Walls. Of course, they're going to be a part of the Louisville Live event as well. They always are and they always put on a show. So I'm glad they're bringing it back. And for what this event is for, meaning, it's a pep rally to get people excited about the upcoming season. It's like the official tip off. I mean, things are already in a good place as far as energy, enthusiasm, morale, but you know, maybe it hits an even new level once we get to October the fourth. Really really looking forward to it, all right. Somebody had asked earlier on the text line why Rick Patino was so against doing an event like this, and I've never known the answer at all to that, and only he could speak to it. But they did what was I believe called Matine Madness with Louisville Basketball when Rick was either in his first or second year something like that. I mean, this was we're talking twenty plus years ago, so there probably isn't any references to it, you know, on the internet. But they did it at the Exposition Center and Patino showed up in a limousine, and I remember being there sitting front row. I was a young kid. I was there with my father and my sister, and I believe my uncle, who really is, is the reason, one of the big reasons why, you know, my father became such a diehard Louisville fan, and of course, you know, it led to me and now my son's all into it, so like it's a family thing for us. But my uncle Wayne is a big part of that. And I remember we were there and I'm thinking, man, this is cool as can be, Like these players are getting introduced. I mean, it's a big show. But apparently it was not well attended. And I guess Rick was bothered by that, because you got to keep in mind he had been a part of big Blue Madness. I would assume, like I imagine they still did that when Rick was there. I don't know when that thing started, but I would imagine when Rick was at Kentucky, you know, that thing was probably at its peak. And then to have the first ever one for Louisville and it be done at the Exposition Center or the Convention Center.
Speaker 3: Actually, and yeah, I think it was the Convention Center.
Speaker 2: And I thought it was awesome as a young kid, but apparently it was not well attended, and Rick was like, nope, we're not doing that ever again. So look these things, I mean, these things are important. I don't want to overstate, like if you don't have one of these, you'll never get recruits. But man, it's an opportunity to really show off. And I think Louisville basketball is a program that has a lot to show off when it comes to history facilities, with the young center, passionate fan base, I mean, you should utilize what you have and really put on a show with events like this to you know, I mean, all it can do is help you show off to potential fans and of course potential potential players, players who visit things like that. I mean the images and the videos that surfaced following the Louisville Lives that took place at four Street, the ones at Churchill, I mean, those things are I mean, they look amazing and you can never have too much of that stuff that makes you know, makes you look good. All right, again, it's coffee and Company. We are feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you guys hanging out with us. Here on a Thursday afternoon. Been busy throughout the show today, which I think is a good thing. Time flies when you know when you're having fun. We did in the four o'clock hour kind of doing a live look in as the men's The United States men's basketball team had a big comeback. I mean they were getting they were getting hammered, literally getting blown out by Serbia jokicch I didn't see his stat line, but obviously he's a multi time MVP, and you know, one of the best players on the planet and his team was given Team USA the absolute business. And to see the Team USA was able to come back and win it was kind of awesome. It It was an unfamiliar situation for me watching the United States men's basketball team, you know, need a big time comeback to kind of keep the gold medal hope alive. Usually when you watch them play, they're dominating. I mean, I mean, I can't think of many games I've watched where it's getting close late and you felt like they may lose. Well, if you watched the majority of the if you watch the majority of the second half, you felt like they were going to lose. I mean even towards the very end, he wasn't completely you know, wouldn't come letely wrapped up. It took some free throws down the line, down the stretch there from Steph Curry to to kind of give you a little bit more comfort. But I mean, to the very end, it was it looked like it was going to be a potential loss and they were able to, uh, they were able to come back and get it done, which you know, that's the expectation, that's what you know, that's what that's what you should do. Hopefully that hopefully that uh, let me see what I'm trying to see what the rest of the schedule is for them.
Speaker 3: Let's see here. I believe, so the France defeated Germany in the other semi final, and they'll take on France in the gold medal matchup there we go, so that they'll be technically the away team in this since Paris is hosting. Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So I just was referencing the stats here just to make sure I wasn't crazy because one of the guys on this team that gets criticized, in fact, I think it's safe to say he gets criticized more than anybody is Joel embiid uh. And you know, he had, you know, the best game of his career against Jokic. And and I don't mean the best game of his career overall. I mean just I guess in you know, in Olympic play. But he had nineteen points and really ignited that second half push to to kind of put them put them over there, put them over the top. Lebron James only his fourth triple double and Olympic only the fourth triple double in Olympic history. Sixteen points, twelve boards, ten assists, So yeah, it was nice to see them them come from behind. But it was Steph Curry who had you know who did Steph Curry things? Thirty six points. He made nine of fourteen from three, and again his two free throws down the stretch really really sealed the victory. I mean, you don't want to be in that position, but that was fun.
Speaker 3: Man. I can't you know, I you know, I.
Speaker 2: You usually never really feel like you got to be on the edge of your seat for these things. And I don't want to say we take it for granted, but maybe we do, right, I mean, whenever it's become such a consistent thing that you dominate the basketball portion of the Olympics. You're you know, you're proud of that, and it's awesome, but it kind of leads to where there's not a ton of intrigue, right, Like, usually the games are blowouts, and this one was not. It was a blowout up for a good chunk of the game, but the United States team was on the wrong side of it until they rallied and came from behind.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Speaking of lebron James, it's already happening once again with his with his other son obviously, Bronnie James has been one of the most talked about athletes of the summer because, you know, despite having really no credentials, he was drafted. We all know why he was drafted. He was drafted because his dad's Lebron James. Some clear nepotism going on. He got a contract that had a lot of money guaranteed that you don't see anybody else in his position, meaning a guy drafted at that spot get that much of a guarantee. And he did. You know why, because his dad is Lebron James. Well, Bryce is the younger brother of Bronnie, and he has skyrocketed to become a top one hundred recruit in the latest ON three rankings, and that has become, you know, a big talking point because it's as egregious as Ronnie James being a five star McDonald's All American with really not any reason behind it. So Bryce has jumped up to number one hundred overall by ON three in the twenty twenty five class after participating on the Nike EYBL circuit. He plays for I guess the club that's called Strife for Greatness. Again, he's been elevated now to the number one hundred player and he's a four star kid.
Speaker 3: And on this circuit.
Speaker 2: He averaged five points and two rebounds at the Peach Jam on the UYBL circuit, so five points, two boards and this guy's a four star player, top one hundred, and we all know why because he's Lebron James's son. But my question is those of you that rank players, and I know it's not just one guy, but if you work for ON three rivals twenty four to seven sports esp in, are you being nudged by your editors and bosses to include Lebron's kids because it could lead to more traffic? Like what do you get out of it, you know what I mean, Like, there's there's some belief that Jonathan Givoni, who works for ESPN, who really started the whole Bronni James thing, right like last summer he had him in his lock his his mock draft in the lottery, and that led to people thinking, oh, wow, Lebron's son must really kind of be coming on because at that point, you're only watching him in highlights in high school, right, Like it's tough to know you hadn't been able to see him playing in college, and you haven't been able to I mean just you know, you don't know. You're just thinking, okay, with the kid, must be pretty good. He's Lebron James's son, and he's you know, got the size and athleticism. Well, then you see Bronnie James against other McDonald's Americans, and then of course you watch him at USC and clearly he was not a high He wasn't a very impactful player. Doesn't mean he'll never be successful at some at some level in the NBA, but like it was quite clear. So Jonathan Givoni really kind of created the bron James is going to be a was is going to be a notable, uh you know, draft you know, draftable player and whatnot. Whereas he probably benefited that I mean meaning Gravoni probably benefited from doing that by maybe getting some access to Lebron. Maybe I don't know. I don't want to allege that he got paid to do it. But you know, like, this kid is in the twenty twenty five class, so he's going to be a senior next year. And there's not been near the hype for for Bryce as there was Bronni because most don't believe that that the two are I mean, or the same level of player. And yet now here we go again, another guy getting a lot of hype and the only reason behind it is because of his last name and who his dad is. But I'm now wondering, Okay, what do we like, what do we get out of this? Like, especially knowing that the majority of the conversation about Lebron and his son Bronni has been like this is this is insane, it's ridiculous, it's nepotism. Would I would actually think that those that ranked players would learn from that and think, yeah, we probably should be a little bit more careful and not get enamored by who's who's the parents of these players and really only rank them and evaluate them based off of, you know, what they do on the court and what their true potential is as basketball players. All right, let's get to our first break here in the five o'clock hour. We'll keep it rolling along, taking you up till six o'clock. So hang out, snick around right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety. So, with the economy being you know what it is, there's a lot of people who are relying on second jobs or just a side hustle that's not technically a job that is even part time, but it's just something you do to make money. And there's a new breakdown here from Forbes that tells us the top ten most popular side hustles in the United States. Any yes, is John what some of these would be?
Speaker 3: I bet the top is either like Uber driver or door dash Deliver, one of those two.
Speaker 2: Ride share driver is number one. That is, I mean, I should know this, but I don't. Can you do that as your full time job?
Speaker 3: There are people who do.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm just curious, like what kind of like is it?
Speaker 3: Is it sustainable? You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like if you stay busy all day, every day doing it. I mean, I would assume you can make you can make a decent living.
Speaker 3: I bet if you're a single person or maybe just a you know, a couple that doesn't have kids, it's probably sustainable. But if you've got a big family, maybe it's a little different. I'm sure. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I remember in certain cities I would get an Uber and throughout the conversation with said uber driver, I would learn that they actually live, you know, a few hours away or a city over, and they spend the weekend in a big city that always needs somebody to you know, if you're in Chicago or a city of that size, I mean, you can probably head into town and if you want, drive all day and make money, right, I mean, I'm assuming there's enough need for them in certain places. But I never, like, I mean, I've I if I'm using Uber or Lyft, it's ninety nine percent of the time when I'm traveling, you know what I mean, It's not when I've turned.
Speaker 3: You've never been in either an uber or a lyft before.
Speaker 2: I think you might have mentioned that before. Is it just because you haven't ever found yourself needing one?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: I don't think you're not like antis, right. Oh, yeah, I wouldn't do it, but I also wouldn't seek it out. I would only use it if I absolutely had to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I've used it here in town whenever I've went out, which is rare.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 2: Back whenever I would find myself occasionally going out and you know, for a late night at different bars or whatnot. I mean, uber wasn't really a thing yet. We would you would literally rely on cabs or we'd have to call somebody to come get us, so we would have a designated driver. I mean it's, uh, it's much more convene to just you know, hop in an uber. But if you go with a bunch of people, then you have to get one that's uh that's you know, big enough to hold like a van or something like that to hold enough people. But yeah, I mean I'm not surprised to see that as number one. But number two is a YouTube content creator. So, like I do have a good understanding of Internet monetization, how you can how you can make money on the Internet with you know, advertising revenue, or you can share a code for some for somebody that you know follows your channel to purchase something and you get you get like a small commission of that. But to see that that's number two, Like is there not? Are there that many people that are doing that?
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess think about it. That's kind of what I'm doing now with the new show that I've got on YouTube impartners with the website. Yeah, but I mean I wouldn't call that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess it is technically in that same space as far as YouTube content creation.
Speaker 3: It's definitely a different direction than probably the stereotypical YouTube content creator.
Speaker 2: But I just feel like for for ad revenue strictly from the YouTube itself, from your from your channel, like I think, to make you know, legitimate, and I shouldn't it because legitimate money, good money, bad money, that's all relative. It just depends on you know, who you're talking to, how they view money. But you know, you need to have like a good amount of followers and traffic to where it turns into where it's probably like because there's a lot of time that goes into that, you know what I mean, Like, if you're doing I just feel like you'd have to put a lot of time into your YouTube content creation for it to be monetizable. And and at that point it comes down to, Okay, if this is a side hustle, is it getting in the way of like my real job, you know what I mean? So, but look, it's it's something, you know, I mean, I'm not surprised to see some type of content creation is some of it. But it's just there's you know, I guess I'm a little out of touch as far as the ways you can truly, you know, make a buck or two doing that personal trainers, number three, number four as a virtual assistant, got to be honest with you, I don't sure what that is. And then number five as a life coach. Do you know any life coaches? John, I don't know any.
Speaker 3: I'm familiar that. That's uh. I hate to laugh. It sounds kind doing it, But I'm like, I don't want to call it a fake job because any people can say this is a fake job.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is this a job? Are you getting paid? They're not paying me? I'm kidding, I'm kidding. I'm paid. I'm paid a hefty salary here from the fine folks at i Heeart Media. But yeah, I mean, I was gonna just say it now, I'm gonna be a little careful because I don't want to offend anybody, but like I think it is you got some balls on you to say you're qualified to coach someone in life. I'm sorry, I just think that that's like we should get a different term for the job, in my opinion, because I wouldn't be able to take myself serious if I said I'm a life coach, because look, we're all figuring life out as we go, ladies and gentlemen. There's things that are gonna hit you that you know, a coach ain't been in this situation before, right, And everybody's life is different. So if you're a life coach, like, how do I know you can coach my life?
Speaker 3: How do you know? Maybe you have been in my shoes. Maybe we can. We come from different paths. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I know I know of some people, not close friends or anything like that, but I know of some people who have kind of like made that their whole personality that they're life coaches. And I'm like, you ain't got no business coaching anybody in life, like I know about your life, and I don't know. I just it's always been one of those things when I hear the term life coach, and I hear that as a Hey follow me on Instagram, I'm a life coach. I don't know, man, Like, nobody's perfect, and I'm sure anybody who's a life coach would acknowledge that. But I just to be able to say that, like I am, like I'm because the life coach definition here from the from the Dictionary online here, it says a person who counsels and encourages clients on matters having to do with careers or personal challenges. Sounds like a therapist, yeah, without without the degree, without the certification.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yes, Like, it's one thing to be like a motivator and tell people, like you know, to encourage positive in their life and influence them in that way. But honestly, more than anything, it's just it's just what it's called. Life coach to me, seems like a little much. Might sound like a complete a home No, I think it makes sense.
Speaker 3: It sounds like you're paying somebody to kind of like be your friend to in a little Yes.
Speaker 2: No way, I could see that too, Like, Hey, you know, my life, I kind of feel like it sucks. Do you want to coach me to make it better and be my friend. Yes, pay me and I'll do that, Like, I mean, I don't know, just it's it's made me uncomfortable because I've had people that I know of that like, hey, please support me. I'm I'm becoming a life coach, and I'm I just don't have the ability to be that fake. I mean, I guess I do because I don't tell them what I don't really think. But I also just I'm uncomfortable because I'm like, who are you coaching in life? It's and you know, I think just what I would envision someone who's never been a life coach or have never leaned on the services of a life coach, I feel like you have to be very motivational and inspiring, and you know, you got to be able to preach, I guess, and you have to have a lot of I would assume you have to have a lot of life experiences, Like that's why you should have to be.
Speaker 3: At least sixty years old to be a life coach.
Speaker 2: Like I at times feel like I'm I mean, like we're all learning as we go and it's hard enough to be a parent, right, and then like to also say you're going to be a parent of kids and raise them, but you're also coaching other people in their lives. I don't know, just it's always been something I've been uncomfortable with. But anyways, other side hustles here according to this Forbes breakdown number six, as food delivery driver, I would have expected that to be higher.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that was I did that during COVID. It's because there was really not a lot you could do during COVID, So.
Speaker 2: I see a lot of mixed, mixed opinions on if that's like, if that's worth doing.
Speaker 3: Or not, you know what I mean. Yet at the time it was worth it for me a wrong way people could eat right. Yeah, and I wouldn't, I mean, I wouldn't do it now unless I just absolutely had to fall back on something while I was looking for a different job. But it's also a lot more thankless than I feel like might imagine as well, what do you mean? At least in some cases in COVID, people were a lot more like during the thick of it, whenever you know, you couldn't really go out to places. It obviously got more lax the more that we, you know, further got into it. But people just assume that the driver is responsible for what's in the bag, and they're not. Yeah, they just they're taking it from the restaurant to the house.
Speaker 2: You're quite literally delivering it and you don't work for the restaurant. Yes, now what was was there ever?
Speaker 3: Any like? Are you supposed to look and see if what's doing right?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: So the restaurant usually like seals it. You can't look in the bag because they don't want you taking it.
Speaker 2: Obviously, gotcha, that makes total sense. But I'm just curious as to how the drivers have been blamed for something being like left out of.
Speaker 3: The of the like the like I would. There would be times it didn't happen super often, but they would. The person I would deliver the food w would call and say, hey, I didn't get this. I'm like, well, there's nothing I can do. Unfortunately, you can call the restaurant, or you can call customer service and maybe you can get some some money back or something.
Speaker 2: I mean, you would be the most respectful and polite person because like, at some point you need to just say, look, you need to call the company you bought food from, Like I.
Speaker 3: Will say one when there was one time I just hung up on somebody to deal with it. It's good.
Speaker 2: I mean I don't I could totally see that being a very thankless job. And and is it just I mean, in the way do you make money on just tips?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So there was there were times so you could schedule I did with grub hub before doors became like the giant for it. But you could schedule time slots where you had to have your little notifier on and if you didn't get any orders, but you were, you were labeled as on for like a three or four hour period, you would get a minimum payment. Gotcha, just being available for your time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I just I feel like lately that has become not as not as it just not as worth. It's not worth doing it if you're not able to genuinely make you know, because if you're if you're out there giving up four hours of your time and tips aren't great and you're just getting the money for your time, you just got to It's one of those things that wouldn't shock me if people do it for a little while and realize, yeah, that really isn't worth it. I'm going to try to find something else as like a side hustle, but also like, I guess people are still utilizing those services, but for me, like I've only done it a couple of times, and I just can never justify what it cost. And it's not the fault of the delivery driver by any means, but like I now, more often than not, if I see somebody discussing one of those food delivery services, whether it be Uber Eats, grub Hub, Postmates, what are some other ones those like the main.
Speaker 3: Ones, there's a fourth one not thinking of.
Speaker 2: But either way, like the more often than not, if I see somebody discussing those services, it's people complaining about how I paid such and such for this meal, and it just like it makes it to where there's no point in doing it.
Speaker 3: I feel like most people who use it nowadays, since we're not in COVID times, it's people who work in like with large groups and there's no easy way to get to a restaurant at your job or I mean, really that's it that I can think of, Or maybe you have like you're trying to get somebody to cater your your party and you just need to order a whole bunch of food that's not pizza something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know people who have Like there's a guy that I know of that has had a career and has seemingly done well for himself, but for like ten years plus he's delivered pizza's part time just to kind of, you know, have a different, you know, different revenue stream coming in.
Speaker 3: And I'm it's somebody.
Speaker 2: It's somebody that I've never asked him, like what kind of money he makes, but like he wouldn't do it if it wasn't something to where he could, you know, make some good money, right, I mean, because it's probably I don't know, it's one of those things if you don't mind driving and you can just you know, put your headphones in or let's why. It was just something that you felt like, you know, why not, right, there's a way to make some money. All right, let's get to our last break here. We'll come back on the other side. Finished strong here on a Thursday afternoon. I got another football practice to go to tonight. John, I'm getting excited. Moos has got his first game coming up on the Sadaturday, his first flag football game.
Speaker 3: It's making me feel old, but I am excited for him.
Speaker 2: I just remembered as soon as we're going to break because I'm thinking, oh wow, the show's almost over, and I'm like, well, as soon as I get out of here, I got to get to football practice. I mean I don't have to, but you know, I feel bad if I don't go. All right, don't go anywhere. We'll come back one more segment right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. That's right, Coffee and Company were rolling along here, finishing up a Thursday ED issue of the show. First week back for me from vacation, and Manna, it went by fast. I mean, it's not over yet. We still have tomorrow, but I feel like this week has absolutely flown by, which is a good thing. I mean means the weekend's getting closer, means football season will be here sooner rather than later, which is which is certainly a good thing. And earlier today they had another one of their open practices and Tyler Griever, who does a great job for WDRB, he was on site getting some clips, some highlights for his newscast, and he shared some takeaways from the practice. And I think this is really really encouraging to hear, and that is that Colin Lacy continue use to be to be getting more and more acclimated. You know, I don't want to say that he had a bad spring because I don't really I don't really think that that's that would be. I mean, I wouldn't know that, and I didn't hear anybody say that. But for him to be a guy that is returning to college football with more receiving yards last season than anybody else in the country, you know that that that comes with big expectation as well as knowing that when he hit the portal, I mean, everybody wanted him, and you know, I think he ended up picking Louisville over Texas A and M and one other big school, and that means there's a lot of money involved for him. So you know, he's he's continuing to get more and more comfortable. It looks like there's some highlights that that Tyler posted over there on his Twitter page, which you know, I mean, it's just highlights, it's just little clips.
Speaker 3: It doesn't show a whole lot, but you know it's good to see.
Speaker 2: Also when it comes to running back, you know, I think Donald Cheney is going to be a guy that you know, is more than serviceable. Like I don't want to talk about these running backs as if I expect Maurice Turner and Donald Cheney to be anything close to what Louisville had with Isaac Garrindo and jo Or Jordan, because those two guys were phenomenal. I mean again, Louisville is the only program that had two running backs drafted last year in the NFL Draft, and it was those two guys, and I wouldn't be shocked if both of them end up having you know, a few few years, maybe four years in the NFL. I mean, especially Garindo. I think Grendo is is kind of a you know, I think you could be a potential gym in the NFL when you consider his speed, his size, and just to me, he's a tough guy to tackle. With Jordan, you know, a little bit a little bit different, but you know, after seeing when he when he was healthy last year, how good he was, I wouldn't be shocked if he has you know, a few a few years in the NFL where he's a guy getting some healthy carries. So those guys don't need to be that which is a good thing because you have I think a quarterback that can they can they can essentially be better than the one you had. Last year, right with Tyler Shuck, I think he will be able to utilize weapons like Chris Bell, Colin Lacey, ja Corey Brooks from Alabama. Like, I think the offense is getting a little bit slept on because yes, all the transfers are question marks, Shuck included because of the injuries as well. But when you consider the fact that they now have the tight end position to utilize that they didn't have previously, that's a big difference. And these guys don't you know, with that with if Shuck can really find you know, if you can get Colin Lacey in space, and maybe Chris Bell becomes a guy that has real good chemistry with Shuck and he's a guy that maybe didn't have a ton of catches, but man, each catch he has is for thirty forty yards. I mean, that's a little bit that's asking a little bit much. But just long story short, these guys don't need to be Grindo and Jordan. However, I actually think they're pretty good. And Maurice Turner's been here a while and it's never really clicked for him to where he's been kind of one of the main guys. But you know, he's he's got some talent, and he's definitely bulked up this offseason. I mean, he continues to get first string running by reps. But Donald Cheney, I mean, this is a guy who was good at Miami. I mean, this isn't a guy who left Miami because he wasn't getting on the field. Now, I will say there's no doubt the freshman they had last year running back that really showed why you know, he was a five star recruit. I mean, I'd say that was one of the reasons why Donald Cheney decided to move on. But you know, it's a guy who at Miami, you know he was He wasn't just some guy who was buried on the depth chart that never played. It's a guy who you know, he rushed for eight hundred and fifty two yards and six scorers in twenty.
Speaker 3: Five games at Miami.
Speaker 2: So I'm as if you haven't been able to tell already, I'm pretty excited for this football season. I think we're gonna see an offense that is a little more like the type of offense we envisioned Louisville having with Jeff brom as their coach. It worked last year, it just wasn't exactly what you would typically expect from a Jeff brom led offense. All right, we're at a time. We'll be back at it tomorrow for a feel good Friday. ViBe's always strong on a Friday, so make sure you join us right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety