Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to another episode of Star Wars Alliance. Of course, I'm your host Clay and with me like every single week. If you cannot hear her already, is Katie. Guys. We told you last week that there is not going to be a live show this week due to the fact that we had to record this early. And the reason that is is because of the embargo date on this as well as just like other stuff that was going on in both of our personal lives. Katie is you know, getting a new house and all of this stuff. I'm still settling in and so we just didn't want to jinx it and we didn't want to be like, hey, we could definitely do this, So we are recording this outside of the normal Wednesday showing as far as the live show, and this should be dropping on your feeds on Thursday. So yep, with that, Katie, I do not believe because I am looking through the news nothing has dropped. The only thing that has dropped is I sent you a text message with the current Star Wars book panel schedule for San Diego Comic Con. Yes he did, and that is both on July twenty fourth, there's going to be a twelve pm Pacific time, which is going to be Mad Cave and Lucasfilm Publishing. They're going to probably do more elaborate stuff on what we already know, possible, possible that they might be announcing anything new. I doubt it with how they have been pushing their Mad Cave stuff recently. You will probably just see more new stuff along with solicitations with Mad Cave, so keep an eye on that for sure. Mad Cave and paper Cuts, of course. But we do have a two pm Pacific on the twenty fourth of this month Star Wars Books from Random House Worlds. This is where I can see us getting at least one new announcement. Yeah, at least one, I think, yeh. Should we get our hopes up for like I would or what do you what do you think? What do you think, Katie?
Speaker 2: I would imagine that we may get a sneak peek at early Spring book. I'm not picturing anything more than that. Also potentially Brain of the Empire book two, that could be a promising one. Yeah, as well to get a sneak peek at Sorry mother in law's texting me.
Speaker 1: Just because I do have it. On Star Wars news Net. They are releasing a the book that we are reviewing today.
Speaker 2: Yes, they're having a exclusive dust jacket, which I love this idea. We don't need if you're just going to do a dust jacket, which is fine if you want to do other things. But I love the idea of just an extra dust jacket for people. It's a lot less republishing of the same book, and the price is much cheaper because you just buy the book and then you get an additional dust jacket that I like this idea.
Speaker 1: I think that is really neat.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I am sad because I would love to get this dust jackets. Dust jacket is gorgeous.
Speaker 1: Y'all, especially in context of the actual story. I really like it.
Speaker 2: I love these dust jackets too. Where it's a scene from the book. We had the out of print ones for the Higher Republic, and then there was like, uh, there was a couple others that used to do something very similar to this. Uh Delilah S. Dawson's Yes, the Red and Quizard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the red Blade Blade. Thank you. We we both got that. That was from New York, right, yea? Or was it San Diego? Uh?
Speaker 2: That was New York. No, No, that was San Diego, San Diego.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think the New York one was the Mace Windu, Yes, yes, which we weren't able to get our hands on. But yeah, I really I really like this idea. Now here's something this is exclusive to San Diego Comic Con. Do you think they should keep it exclusive? And I don't mean necessarily just to this one, but like, should they open up this idea for like, oh, hey, with the new rate of the Empire book, it's going to release not really around any big cons, so we're putting out a dust jacket for anybody who wants to grab it. Like, do you think that should be a thing or how do you like? What do you feel?
Speaker 2: I think that specialigists are becoming more common, and they're variated based on what publishers see. So if this one is super popular, they may decide to do it. It may be too late for rein of the Empire book too, because that comes out in September, but I have seen other publishers do something similar where you get like a reversible dust jacket, which I can vibe with. So dust jacket, Yeah, so how does that work? You basically just fold it in the other direction and like manipulate it so it just goes back in.
Speaker 1: Okay, I was just because I'm I'm really like anal about like creases and stuff, so like you would have to literally crease it at the like the image would have to be perfect on both sides.
Speaker 2: God, my mom is calling me.
Speaker 1: To equal the actual, equal the actual, Like you guys know what I'm trying to say. The fact that, like you have one image on one side of the dust jacket and the other image has to be perfect in the sense of where the creases are on the front part. You would have to like then flip it, you know, and if it's not, then it would irk me because when you flip it back, there's new creases on the other cover. So that's the only thing that would like really really bother me when it comes to this. But either way, like I think that this is something that can be in the norm. I'm not somebody who I'm not really somebody like especially now like Abby has definitely gotten the Breton end of like my complaining. But like I told Abby that, like I do not need the sixteen hours of my day that I am awake. I don't need to be monetized to those sixteen hours. So like for me when it comes to the exclusivity, I think it's okay because I need to be sold something every second of every day.
Speaker 2: Correct, And I think it while it would be nice to have it fully available because again, I would love the option to purchase this one. I want special additions for things. That makes sense to me. But unfortunately, with how popular special additions are nowadays, it can be very hard to get to those special editions because they're behind where people always purchase special editions, like I would be last in line like to get a Goldsborough edition of this basically, So special additions you have to like be in the right place at the right time for them basically. So I love it if it was a like a preorder option. I know Random House Worlds has done that before with like a calendar or like a digital something or another. So I know there's options, and I know obviously printaking is expensive and it's becoming more expensive nowadays. Uh, but the goal, like I would love to see it be available when I want it, But like, because I don't buy special editions all the time, I will probably never really be on that Like, oh I'm gonna give the special edition radar kind of thing. Yeah, because this book, I'm just gonna tell you, guys, legacy, I think this is my favorite Star Wars book of all time.
Speaker 1: Wowoh yeah really yeah, okay, okay, so I'm gonna okay, so hold on that that that kind of surprises. It doesn't surprise me, surprise me, but like it does. So like, okay, not getting into spoilers right now. This is our non spoiler conversation that we usually have right before we get into spoilers whenever we do this type of thing. And if you are newer to to Star Wars Alliance and this is one of your first reviews that you are listening to, guys, just know that, as like something that we normally do here, we do not go chapter by chapter. We do not go into the thick of spoilers. We may talk about our favorite parts, we may talk about like what it really means overall on the cannon type of thing, but we leave a lot of the juicy stuff to you guys to read on your own to form your own opinions.
Speaker 2: Because there's special moments in some of these books, and especially this one. We'll talk about one cameo, but we'll leave out the other one.
Speaker 1: Is it the cameo? I think? Is it the cameo that I commented on?
Speaker 2: You know, I forgot to check the chapter because I could I was listening to it via audio, and so I forgot to like listen out for the chapter. Okay, prepare to cut this out.
Speaker 1: So okay, let me let me write that down. Then need to write that down if we're gonna cut it. So, like my big thing is.
Speaker 2: That. So basically, guys, we want you guys to be able to enjoy moments in these stories and not spoil every tidbit in here, because Madeline Rue does an incredible job with this one, really just tying in a lot of Easter eggs, but then a lot of other story elements at play, so we don't want to spoil too much, but we're going to talk about things.
Speaker 1: So yes, I would put this book. I want to strongly say top ten. I'm not quite sure if I want to say top five, which is fair? Which is I think that with the cameos, with the weight of this book, I do feel like, unfortunately, and we talk about this type of thing a lot due to the release of the sequel trilogy being before this book, or at least the Rise of Skywalker to be released before this book. It does leave one thing a bit like clunky, curious, and we will we will talk about it because I do think that again, we do mention at sometimes the different like canonical uh consequences and lack thereof when we talk about these reviews. But there is one that does play a part, Like there's a pretty important part in Rise of Skywalker that plays a part in this book. And I will just say this. It has to do with her visions and the person and or thing that she's seeing. So so let's just get into it. Let's just jump jump into it, Katie. I want you to know that I notated this book and highlighted this book like crazy, chapter eleven, chapter thirteen, chapter twentyeight. I probably would have.
Speaker 2: I was happy, I probably would have, but I was having kindle issues and so I was just like, Okay, I just need to get through and like and then for my second read, because I got two reads, guys, I was impressed with myself that I got two reads. Oh but my second read, I got to listen to Saskia Mark Mark No, Saskia Marchiaveld in her uh reading of the book, which, by the way, love Saskia. She does an incredible job. There are a few bits, in particular with one of the enemies that they faced, where the voice is a little funky, not super clear, but otherwise great read. I really appreciate that we got the audiobook in advance for this one because it made a huge difference of me being able to get a second reading. Yeah, yeah, I so I love this book, guys, and I think so like this is so to give you guys some context if you guys haven't heard about this book, this book is basically about how Leah and Ray start their Master and Apprentice journey and how the crystal for the Skywalker lightsaber gets healed, and how Ray learns to use those powers. Because we get to the Rise of Skywalker right and she heals Kylo Wrinn, she heals the dragon Beast. Like people were like, where does this come from? Like how does this happen? This tells you that story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this this tells you not only like it, because a lot of people when they see that are like, oh, it just happened, and it happens so simply, like how how is that even possible? It's not as easy as it looks, and this book shows you why. Yeah, I dug this book so much. I really liked uh well, there is there is one tidbit that never got touched on, and I think I'm actually okay with it because of the everybody knows who has listened to this show and especially the book reviews. I always joke around about I want my Star Wars happily ever after. This book necessary like it does have a happily ever after because of course, like our heroes are okay, and they're like on the up and up at the very end of the book. Yeah, but there is something going on with one of our newer characters that we were introduced with. His name is Gab and there's a lot to do with his sister. When you see what happens with her sister or with his sister, excuse me, and then he never learns about what happens to his sister. I'm kind of okay with that. And the reason is it gives him hope. It gives him hope. I don't need the heartbreak that he is going to feel. And I'll just leave that tease there because you can guess what happened. I personally as the reader, with everything else else that's going on in the story, I don't need that hard.
Speaker 2: No, that would have put it kind of over the top. I feel like Madeline was able to balance the emotions at play in this so perfectly between raised turmoil for being the last Jedi and knowing, hey, I have got to rebuild this some way, but I'm also the hope of the Resistance. But also if I don't have this lightsaber, am I really a Jedi? And this lightsaber means so much to people? What does this do in the end? I think I feel like the attachment she has to the Lightsaber particularly comes from the Force Awakens when the Saber actually speaks to her in mas Canada's Castle, Like, I feel like she's just emotionally attached to it and almost kind of has like Stockholm syndrome to an extent.
Speaker 1: Well, it's it's it's just it's literally a symbol of hope, I think is the bigger thing. And it almost like very meta because as Luke sky Walker's Lightsaber as Anakin's lightsaber, we as the fans, saw that in the right in the Force Awakens and we're like, oh my gosh, that brings hope within us, within ourselves, So I think it was very meta two for them to bring that in again to be Ray's hope still, and it goes along with the idea because even I think it's Leah who brings it up again. This phrase has been talked about not only in the High Republic, not only in prequel era, but in the original trilogy era and now in this sequel era. A Jedi is more than it's than their lightsaber. Leah even told Ray that in this book, and I'm so glad that she finally got to hear these words. Yeah, because in this book there is a lot of despair, a lot of negative negativity, a lot of losing of hope. There's there's a lot, and it kind of hangs on the words of Luke Skywalker himself in the Last Jedi of You went Straight to the dark yep which is the words of Luke Skywalker when you know they were meditating, And they even use the word for word quote of uh Luke Skywalker when he explained to Ray the one time that I saw power like that. I can't remember the exact quote, but basically saying like I did nothing and look where Ben look what Ben became. I'm not gonna let that happen again. And because it was literally her only master at the time, she holds those words very near and dear to her heart. And so unfortunately, Luke Skywalker, your big jerk is.
Speaker 2: Especially with the fact that her parents left with no context that whole trend of okay, she finds somebody had died. She thought she related to han Ah lot Han died. Han left her. She gets to Luke hoping that there will be some faith here and that she can get some assistance in bringing forth with her future. And then she gets told hey, no, no, wee jose And then she gets to Leah. And in this book, Leah Ray struggles with the fact that she has this attachment to Kylo or to Ben rather not Kylo Ren, but knowing that also that he's potentially too far gone, and she doesn't know how to bring up that she has this attachment to Bin, to his mother of all people, she like she wrestles with that, and like the catalyst of this is we get Ray where she goes up into this mountain and is like devastated, She's tossed the crystal, like doesn't want anything to do with it, and she comes back down and Ray's finally like, you know what, I can't do this by myself like, and Leia has been trying to tell her that the entire way. But Ray, thanks to Tython's force presence, like Tython, even gets called a virgence like that, it contains a vergence with Kylo Renn. At the end of the book, thanks to Tython's force presence, She's able to kind of come to a realization that Lena is speaking the truth that you can't do it on your own ye and that she needs to be open. And so she tells Lea about her dreams. She tells her about the attachment. And this is after Leah has had the talk with Luke after she retrieved the lightsaber. Yes, Luke makes an appearance.
Speaker 1: So, so how'd you feel about that? I? I I don't know. And the only reason again is because unfortunately the Rise of Skywalker has already been released. It's already a viewing thing. People can have an opinion on that movie already before reading this. I understand that Luke presents himself to Ray and it's supposed to feel like the very first time, but Lee as a completely different person, right, and so that's how you get away with it, That's how you.
Speaker 2: I also think Luke's presence in the Rise of Skywalker is different because it's a different person. But it also this book explains the difference kind of in his opinion towards Ray.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, because at this point we can assume that Luke talks with Leah the rest of the time until Rise of Skywalker and is like following up and stuff and like on being a Jedi master.
Speaker 1: That's the big thing that I want your opinion on, because I don't think hearing that this is your favorite book, I don't think this sways you at all, but you may have an opinion on it. How do you feel about Luke revealing to Leyah about Ray's origins?
Speaker 2: But we had wondered that because in the Rise of Skywalker he says layand new Leye had no problem with it. I don't remember exactly what he said, but I know he said Layan knew there was no problems, and we were wondering with Shadows of the Sith how that information got to Leya. Because Lea does not make an appearance in Shadow of the Stead No, she does not know and that's how Luke knows the Palpatine connection.
Speaker 1: So we knew. No, no, he doesn't. He doesn't know because of Shadow the Sith. He says it in the book. He says that because time does not work the same as now, he is a force ghost, that he is basically has an he has had an eternity to figure it out. He is now nonlinear with actual space and time. That's what he is saying, which is weird because it's never been explained like that before. Mm hmm. But that's that's what he tells Lea in this book, is that that time does not work the same and that he has found out that way now he does. He references the Shadow of Sith mission he does. And I believe that is also because if when you read the book, the only individuals that ever get close enough to raise parents is Lando. Luke never makes contact with them. Lando is the only one to ever even communicate with him. He doesn't even make full contact with him. He only communicates with them over a coms link on the ship.
Speaker 2: I definitely understood that differently, Yeah, which is fine. I planned on rereading it anyways.
Speaker 1: It's totally fine. I think it's even more fun this way, because because it's still kind.
Speaker 2: Of a mystery and they can play around with it a little bit more, and because it can be understood in different ways. If they decide that Luke figures it out later on this or like before he becomes a forced ghost, Yeah, it's not the end of the world, because yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: Think it's the end of the world. I just thought, like, oh, the one thing that irked me was Leah kind of running into the same problem that all of Star Wars has had, especially the Skywalker family, which is like she contemplates on whether she should tell Ray or not, and she's like, oh, well, Ray has already had all of this like negativity and she already has like a heavy heart. If I say something now, it'll turn her into like put her more into a spiral. And I literally put into my notes that's not up for you to decide. It's not right.
Speaker 2: But I don't understand Madeline's problem.
Speaker 1: It's the fact that the Rise of Skywalker has already been created, yes, but just the way you have to like make it work. It kind of irks me because I'm like, you're not learning from your mistakes. Nobody is learning from their mistakes right now. So that's the only thing that that's the only reason why it irks me. The reveal of reyes of Palpatine to Lea only annoys me because of how they have to kind of force it into like, Hey, I can't say anything because she learns about it in the Rise of Skywalker. Yes, that's the only reason why. Now I will say, there is a cameo and I've already cut this out in the episode. There is a cameo in this book.
Speaker 2: Why don't we talk about that cameo at the very end? We can do that and that way, it's like, if you don't want a spoiler for this portion.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, So there there is another thing that that irks me about this book. Okay, there is a what chapter I think it's chapter thirteen. I have in my notes It says here, uh, I'm glad you're alive, Leah said softly. She touched Ray's hair in a few places, as if checking for injuries. This is in the perspective of Ray. Her own mother used to do that after Ray would slump into their shelter, covering in rough and tumble bruises, giving her daughter it once over before her turn around, before her turn around, so she could comb the sand out of her hair. So I read this and I immediately thought Jacu. And I'm just now realizing it doesn't necessarily mean jaku because when we learn in Shadows of the Scythe that they ever make it to they have to show ship off right to shoot.
Speaker 2: No. Well, but the thing is is so in Shadow of the Sith because I pulled this up when we were talking about like if Luke knew Literally the first line of the plot summary on Wikipedia, Dathan, his wife, Mirah Mir, and their six year old daughter Ray flee into wild space on our freighter they had stolen from Ukar Plutz ship scrapyard. They were on jack Wu. They had grown up moving from place to place. So like in Shadow the Fifth, the thing you're probably remembering is they were in the forest and stuff. They moved from planet to planet, and so that's how they knew to send her back to Jack who is because Okay.
Speaker 1: That makes more sense.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, because Luke even says it in one of his talks with Leah. Yeah, when he's talking about the Shadow of the Sith mission, He's like, yeah, her parents were Jack who scrappers.
Speaker 1: So I didn't guess that. Yeah, okay that now there's a full circle moment. Okay, Okay, that makes more sense. Okay I was about to say. I was like, they're not reading, they're Cannon Jebrary or Canon Bible too.
Speaker 2: That did not have to mean jack who. But in this case, there is lines that signified it as.
Speaker 1: Jacket that it is Jacku because she technically could have grown up there but still traveled because they were in hiding.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, uh.
Speaker 1: So I'm curious how this is your favorite book with so much suspense and so much like almost horror.
Speaker 2: See, but I need to feel like it was horror esque. Even in even in the audiobook, I really felt like it was more drama than thriller or horror esque.
Speaker 1: I mean, you put a little girl's face saying help me, all right, little girl's voice saying help me.
Speaker 2: But we're also very used to Ray having those visions and stuff, and so it really didn't signify anything to me. Okay that it was a trap. I just thought, Okay, it's want to raise visions, that's happening. Yeah, so I really didn't feel thriller or horror esque vibes even when we get into the crypt. And maybe it's also because I can't picture these things, and because when I tie horror to a book, it's typically serial killer.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, and as somebody who does not like horror, but somebody who can definitely picture the entire book as a movie in their head, Like that's why it makes no sense to highlight it. But there's like an observation that I think Ray has that she's She's like, oh, I hear a voice, but there's nobody hiding behind these towers. I'm just like, what, why would you say it like that?
Speaker 2: Like, And I think it's also because like in Shadow of the City, Luke has a vision on Tython about the Exagon Sorry guys, yeah, sorry, he has a vision about the Exagoll people. So I'm very like and especially with what I've read in Legends, I'm very to Tython being related to vision esque things. Yeah, So it didn't really bug me. But I love the relationship that Roe is able to build between Leah and Rey because we always wondered that about how she gets like that was one of the main questions. And I know, don't be one of those people guys who is like well, I shouldn't have to get a book to understand a movie, Okay, but this like expands that so much more and it just gives this depth that allows you to look at the Rise of Skywalker with brand new eyes. Really, that's how artistic Row managed to be with this. She really did an incredible job with it, and I love the action sequences that we get in here. She manipulates the lightsaber very well in all of the different fights that Ray gets in, and this.
Speaker 1: Like, okay, well space fighting happened before any of like the ground fighting, which I thought was really really cool. There was like a little bit of like force manipulation of like sling shotting into getting into the atmosphere safely and stuff. I thought that was really really cool. But speaking of ground fighting, in the tomb that they're uh, basically like trapped. It's not trapped, but.
Speaker 2: Like it's back to the old Republic guys, so that it's.
Speaker 1: Like a it's like a booty trap. Yeah, there's a moment where she finds all these lightsabers and she hands one Delaya, she hands one to Gaff, but it's more so to use for light, not necessarily like, hey, we all need to fight this thing. She hands them to to to use his light. But then they meet this thing. Yeah, this Jum and this is the cool thing. So I've talked about how I love the Bindu in Rebels. It is a very large, supernatural force being that kind of stretches the imagination when it comes to what Star Wars can be. Well, we get not somebody like the Bindu because we're not necessarily uh told that they can manipulate the force. But it's cognitive to a point of an actual conversation with Ray happens in their mind and it is terrifying.
Speaker 2: And that was the That was the one part of the narration that I struggled with, was the voice in there. And it might have been because guys, we cut it to one point five speed.
Speaker 1: I cut two versions. I did two point five or regular two time speed, which is what I listened to, and then I cut a one point five speed for Katie. This thing is described as basically a giant snake like thing with a hardened shell, but.
Speaker 2: Like centipede almost things like yes.
Speaker 1: Because it has like mandibles and like like it has all of it. It's creepy. It's super creepy. And Ray does this really cool thing where she jumps up. While she jumps up, she uses the force to grab GAVs lightsaber and lay Laya's lightsaber as well as her own, and she spins it like a giant throwing star to hit this creature. I thought that was the coolest thing she has ever done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the it like brings a whole new meaning kind of to like the spinning lightsaber for the inquisitors, Like I just imagine it just like all of them rotating in like a giant trangle.
Speaker 1: Giant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is awesome. And then like how she talks about like like having the lightsabers trail behind her. But then the attachment that ray actually gets to one of the former dark Side users that came to the Tython Temple. She gets that attachment to it, and I have to think because at the end, guys, at the end, she opens up the crystal and realizes it's not red anymore. It's yellow. I have to wonder if that's her light Saper crystal that she chooses.
Speaker 1: To use one. I I one hundred percent when it when it says that, I was like, yeah, one hundred percent, because she.
Speaker 2: Had that attachment to it. The whole time, and Lea was like, dude, that's the dark side, that's the sisty light saber, Like.
Speaker 1: What are you doing? It's really funny because like it is like in every stereotypical like supernatural like movie or whatever, like they're always like you. You would like if they had made this a movie, you would probably see a couple scenes where like Ray is just staring at it in a room mm and like Leo would like come around be like, hey, what are you doing? And she'd like trying to hide it, like I see, I see that in my head whenever I read this book, but like she does that for real in this book where she's kind of just like studying it and Lea's like, hey, what you doing. She's like, oh, well, you know this, this can help us. This this very teaches something.
Speaker 2: It's very similar to how Ahsoka feels in the Ahsoka book when she gets the Inquisitor's lightsaber and she feels something calling to her and so she like pulls the crystals like actually out of the lightsaber and then purifies them and that's why she gets her lightsabers for rebels. Is very similar feeling I get with that, and it's just like a crystal talking, like we know that the Kyber crystals call out based on like the Clone Wars with the Youngling visits to the planet. I can't remember the name of the planet, h.
Speaker 1: I something, I I got it, and then.
Speaker 4: Mike, Yeah, it's very reminiscent of those episodes because we know that the crystals call out to the Younglings.
Speaker 2: They're very similar thing. Yeah, and Leia just doesn't Lay and Ray both don't understand that aspect.
Speaker 1: So I also want to applaud uh the author Roe for leaving one mystery to the entire book, in this entire endeavor, which is really really cool because again, like one of the big things in the Rise of Skywalker is that, like or at the very end of Last Jedi going into Rise of Skywalker, we see all of Luke's books in the Millennium Falcon. So Ray is somebody who wants to learn a lot, and that's also touched on in this book. How like she loves to study and I really really enjoyed that about her. And so in this book, when they go to this tomb, when they go into these caves, they find holocrons, and so she is recur like she's constantly watching these Holocrons to learn what's going on, and this is where they learn about this Dark Side User, this sith that wanted basically redemption and wanted to, you know, learn about the the the good side of the force, the light side of the Force. But in these Holocrons, they never mention her name, right.
Speaker 2: And that's because the whole time going through they they so they have her dark side name that her master gave to her, but her whole the Dark Side User. She goes through the entire thing, and the little snippets that we see in the Hollows, she's trying to find the original name that she was given at birth that her master wiped from her brain. And I find it very iconic or not iconic ironic that that's a similar parallel to what Ray goes through with her name, because she's like, I'm Ray Nobody, and it's just a whole trend, the whole way through, And I bet you, like in the Holocrons in the Hollows that aren't mentioned. Ray eventually finds that she accepts a new name and accepts that she's somebody brand new, and that's the inspiration for Race Skywalker.
Speaker 1: At the end, well, there's there's two because the other inspiration is I truly believe from Leah herself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because Leah says, basically, Leah basically tells her you're part of the family.
Speaker 1: Yeah. There's there's a line at the very end of the book because the one big mission of Raise is to fix the light, the Kyper Crystal from the last Jedi at the end. I'm not going to tell you how she does it, but in the end she does renew it because of course it's in the Rise of Skywalker when it's said and done and she like shows it off to everybody. Uh, there's a line that basically Leah says, like, oh, you already know that it is with a Skywalker essentially, is what she said. Yes, So that right there, I think basically is Roe saying like, oh, even before, like even though she still struggles, because again, that's the entire story of Star Wars, is that there's always a struggle between the light and dark. That even though Ray is struggling through the Rise of Skywalker, that she is knowing that she is a Skywalker. And I think truly the reason being is the constant conflict between her and Ben, her and Kylo Wrinn because everything's all hunky dory. Everything's all hunky dory. She's no longer like super strong with Ben, and that is because she herself is not looking for that connection. And then there's something at the end of the at the end of the story that kind of reignites it again. Not going to share how and I can only assume that because she opened the floodgates. Basically, that is how it starts happening again at the very beginning of the Rise of Skywalker. So, like, I think Road did very well with connecting the Last Chati to the Rise of Skywalker.
Speaker 2: And I think a lot of a lot of people's problem with the Rise of Skywalker is because they're not used to, hey, we have a break between movies kind of thing. Something happened between these things, and that like eventually we'll find out, hopefully it'll get pensioned in the movie. People don't understand that nowadays. And and also they fell trapped to oh, well, the Force Awakens takes place right before the Last Jedi, and they're all like they're literally connected by hours. Nothing happened before the last Jedi from the Force Awakens. So they set a precedent and then they changed it. So I think that's most people's issue, most most the general population of fans nowadays. I think that most people's problem with the Rise of Skywalker. Yeah, if you have if you haven't a different problem, obviously, that's fine. I'm just saying, like I think people don't understand that timeskit Ah, What did you think about Master Wreath Silas being mentioned at the front of the book.
Speaker 1: Hold On, hold On.
Speaker 2: There is so C three po trans something and it's basically like it's a hidden passage that he found that was in code and it was not necessarily Silas's padawan, but somebody who was working with Wreath, and he says Master Silas says that the temple will the temples in question will reveal themselves to those who need it. But I think these are too valuable to lose. And he talks about the fore or the person who's writing the letter talks about the forge and the font.
Speaker 1: I totally missed that, what.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: I think that's amazing. More so because we had even said that at the end of the highblic the the initiative, at least we had even said what does this mean for Silas and because there was so much dark ship in that tomb, I think this goes into our predictions of Silas being super curious about the dark side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and trying to save Aslan.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think this puts more into our theory. Yep, I'm am totally do it. That's amazing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, Oh, it's real, It's it's.
Speaker 1: I was like, I'm so I missed that. I'm gonna I'm gonna have to try to focus a little bit harder on my on my reread. That's awesome.
Speaker 2: So yeah, there's that connection. Uh, we get the Church of the Forest again with like Laura Santeca mentions, so just continuing to connect the sequel trilogy up. I also loved the exploration into Hayes, which is Roseu Tico's home planet, but also the Hazian Smelt because I never really understood, like I loved the while Hayes Minor was going through like issues with the Force Order and like being basically demolished and like stripped of all resources. I loved that we got that exploration and that detail because Hazian Smelt is just kind of like a throw off in the Last Jedi when the code breaker. Dude who's not really the code breaker is like, oh, you could have it back now. I just needed it for its conductive properties. So I dug that we got to dig in to that aspect. And while Rose doesn't make appearances in this I did appreciate that we got that little bit of history about her home planet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I I dug that as well. They're like I will I will admit I think that they did do Roe did service to like still include those side characters in a sense of like, oh, hey, they're not going to be the bigger part of the story, but they're around, you.
Speaker 2: Know, and that really matters when it comes down to such an intimate story as this one was. Yes, do you need your first order villain representative? Yes? Do you need that side character that kind of gives our main characters the motivation to continue forward? Yes, but that the other characters still exists, and I love like that little bit of play that we got on Pekara for that. I don't believe there were any LGBTQ characters.
Speaker 1: Uh not that I would have to do a reread, but nothing.
Speaker 2: It might have been one of the refugees, like a couple.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was nothing really in your face about it. And and when I say in your face, there there's it may have just been a side conversation, that's what I read, and not really a prominent character. But you you talk, you mentioned intimate and I did have a highlight which I thought was wrong. Okay, there is a oh what chapter is this? This is chapter because I have it highlighted. This is chapter twenty five.
Speaker 3: And it says here, uh.
Speaker 1: I think this is Ray talking about her connection with ben ben okay, or like reminiscing or like kind of talking about the past or whatever. And she said uh. When she had the strength to look again, she couldn't allow her gaze to reach his face. It occurred to her that she had never seen his toes before. There was a private, domestic intimacy to it, and as he came near, she could make out the minuscule black hairs that start started just where his pants cuffs met the ankles. And I just I laughed when I was like to think, and and I do think in some cultures, like feet, like seeing each other's feet is like a sense of intimacy. But like reading it out loud, I was like, that's funny, Like like, especially when we talk about their connection.
Speaker 2: In like.
Speaker 1: Just conversation about the last Jedi, everybody always like talks about how kylo Ren was always shirtless. Yeah, it's like it's like, that's not the intimate part. It's the toes.
Speaker 2: It's because the shirt is always off.
Speaker 1: It's not it's not the abs, it's not the nipples, it's not the collarbone. It's the toes. That's the So I thought that was really silly, and I kind of laughed about it. I had some notations just for the fact of like just some random thoughts that I had in my head. There's one where Gav is like, well, can't you just like fly? Because the conversation about like how the stories of the Jedi are really lost to the universe and so there's a lot of people who just don't know what a Jedi is, what they can do and everything else. And there's a moment where when he asks her, well can you fly? Like she's all really, she's all really super serious, closes our close their eyes, and starts flapping our arms. It's like, am I doing it? Am I doing it? Am I flying? Am I flying? So I was and I really love it.
Speaker 2: That was one moment that I could, in fact picture Daisy Bridley doing that and like in a really serious voice, it's like, am I doing it? Am I doing it?
Speaker 1: I also highlighted just because we're having this conversation, well the technically the side story in the New Jedi Order books has ended. This kind of reminded me of that side story. Have you ever noticed that when C three Po is in danger, not only in the books but in the movies, he mentions the Maker. He's He's like, oh Maker, like and it's just because of the conversation that we're having in the The Jedi Order. It is just it's so funny too have C three Po so cognitive to his existence that like he's like, hey, I could die. Like it's it's not just being shut off. I could die. So I thought, you know, let's put that down there. I saw a post the other day about how and Or canotically canonized the word shit, and so the word shit appears one time in this book. Yeah, I have it right here. In chapter twenty five. It is Ziff's character. Okay, he's talking to Gav and he says nobody, nobody drowning or crackling their heads open, or breaking their bones or dealing with the rest of this creepy shit. Okay, run and get the back to It's the least you can do, Jedi. Is that that's what so canonizing the word shit in Star Wars, it's we now have to at least two I have to go back and see how many times the word shit is said in Star Wars now. And one thing I mentioned at the very beginning of this review, and I want to mention it now because it is part of the Last Jedi and the one thing that is kind of like and I and I said it before with Kylo Ren. I think it's because the floodgates open. But we learn that this being, this person at one point, even a little girl that that right hears is herself. And this is a darker version of herself. And we've seen this darker version of herself in the Last Jedi or sorry, excuse me, in the Rise of the Skywalker. In this book, though, there's a moment where she kind of like welcomes them in, like the think of think of Sherlock Holmes and like the Mind Palace the BBC show and how he has his own mind Palace. She creates her own mind palace of Jack Coot, which I think is really cool. She kind of recreates Jacku. She goes into her little at eight and she welcomes her in and with them, and there's a conversation and she's like, Okay, you guys are going to be here and I'm going to go peace out. And that is essentially her like making peace yep with her enter demons. Essentially, There's a lot more that goes into it. You'll have to read the story to really understand it. But because of her making peace with her entertamons again, why would she then see her evil self in the last Jedi that I think Skywalker sorry, in the Rise of Skywalker. And as I'm even saying, I think I'm already coming up with with the with the example or with the resolution to this, it might be because of the just dark side essence of what she's on that planet with the dagger looking for what she's looking for.
Speaker 2: Where the original spirit of Palpatine died.
Speaker 1: Exactly the right around the corner. So so you're dealing with a lot of dark side stuff, and you can even explain the surpriseness of it because she essentially the idea is hey, I made peace with you, why are you here? Kind of surprise, so that.
Speaker 2: But also remembering that her dark side self was kind of her warning for when things were happening on Tython and so kind of also like knowing, hey, why are you here, but like also like hmmm, you're here, what's going to happen? And then then comes right out, So.
Speaker 1: So that that does that does actually work out, so again it it just it just takes me some time to think it through. So so there is that.
Speaker 2: We haven't talked about the first order rep in this book, but I really don't think she needs a whole lot of conversation. I didn't have a whole lot on her. I felt like she has average first order but like interested in kind of how the turn takes at the end, which we won't talk about because that's too interesting.
Speaker 1: But the thing with me is like they set her up just like they kind of do in any and all other Star Wars books. It's like, oh, I could have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for those meddling kids type of ordeal in the very beginning, and like we know through the formula of every other Star Wars book, they exact their revenge and then it doesn't end up very well, and then you know whatever. The only problem with this is, and this is a very minor spoiler, she never interacts with our heroes, and I think that is the bigger issue. But honestly, you take her story out of this entire book, the book is I think even better, more so because then you can use those pages to elaborate more story like that.
Speaker 2: I don't think you can take her story out because of Zef's motivation, Jef and Gaff's motivation. It gives too much backstory to them and why they're doing what they're doing. There's nothing special about the Major.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, even because even if I was gonna say, like, oh, but what if you kind of just like never know their motivation and then it just gets a little clunky. So yeah, I hear what you're.
Speaker 2: Saying, and I will say I do find it interesting. This is the one interesting thing about the Major is she actually volunteered for the First Order as a kid. She was not kidnapped and taken off planet by the First Order. She volunteered as the one interesting thing and that's what makes the turn at the end that happens so interesting. Again, I'm not gonna go into that because that's a pivotal moment there. But that's what I have to say about the major The only other thing that I really wanted to talk about other than the thing we're going to talk about at the very end where we're going to disclaim spoilers about the second cameo is Leya's visions. Oh yes, yes, I loved this concept because in my head, we have, guys, we have a what if episode coming up at the end of the year, and I've been thinking about topics. The one thing that I had so far before before even reading this book, guys, the one thing I knew that I wanted to talk about. What if Leya had ignored her vision about that her bloodline would die whatever the exact vision was, like, she needed to take care of her kids. Yes, so what if she had ignored that bit a Jedi?
Speaker 1: Yeah, in the last right, it was in the last Jediywalker. Oh, that's right, because her lightsaber is introduced in the Rise of Skywalker, they have the flashback. There is a moment where Leah tells Luke, Hey, if I continue on with my training, hm, we're all gonna die. Essentially, and we get that what if episode here in little snippets, but like, it's so fun because the way that they introduce it into the story, there's no there's no warning, there is no Oh Leah drifted off to sleep and then blah blah blah blah. No, it's just boom. We're in this middle of the thing, bins here, Ley is here, there's a lightsaber fighting boom whoa, Leah wakes up. You're like, what the yeah, ye exactly. There's just like there's all these different things happening, and it happens I think a total of three or four times in this book.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: I dig this a lot.
Speaker 2: I loved it because again, I've wanted to know the story and we don't want we don't get an ending, we don't get.
Speaker 1: That vision completely, we.
Speaker 2: Don't get a complete vision here. I loved the what if aspect and I love that Tython was kind of playing with her, and in the same way it's playing with Ray with Ray's visions about Ben about the Hunter, really exploring hey, like what does that mean to you? Like how does this help you grow as a person? And in this Leah recognized that she could be that Master ultimately, but it was not meant to be to her son. It was meant to be to Ray. Whereas Ray's vision is, hey, let me accept my dark side and recognize that I can control it and I am in charge. Yeah, And I just thought that was perfect.
Speaker 1: So we we do have the moments with those visions, and they kind of coincide with these conversations with Luke, right, and like you said, it is a like, oh, we basically lose. Luke says like, hey, stop thinking about the past. It's already the past essentially. But my question is why even show us what does this mean? Right? Have we ever gotten something like this before? I don't think so, like with any other Master in like it's the prequel era or anything like, because like it's like, I guess we haven't really had time quote unquote yeah with the different eras of Star Wars, or at least Lucasfilm has not given or Lucasfilm Publishing has not given anybody time to really give anybody that power. I think it's fun. And again, Lucas right, it's like, hey, well more, so let me back up, because I was only ten chapters in when Katie is like, oh, I have a theory, A and I think your theory does have to deal with these flashbacks Simma, right or no, no, no, oh, okay.
Speaker 2: Well they have to deal with the Reed Silas quote at the beginning with the forge and the font and where actually the major is real is transferred in the story as chesspeed. Yes, and we find out that Kylo Rin is in the system and he's hunting for Jedi facts and basically like history, he's been to Jedda.
Speaker 1: He's Are you about to tell me that Ree Silas is going to be the reason why Ben Solo comes back?
Speaker 2: I don't think so, because he would not have had the same quote about that.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah.
Speaker 2: I just think he knows. He probably found something on Jetta that led him to chest Pea for the font, and that is going to be the fall of Kylo Rinn comic book that is coming out starting I believe in September.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, that was my theory. Okay, because like I was about to say, I was like, if Silas did figure out a way to save somebody from the dark side, that would be kind of cool. But again, like if we're saving Ben, he's already saved from the dark side. That doesn't necessarily it doesn't work that way. It doesn't work that way. But yeah, like I I I really did see. Now you're convincing me to put it in my top five.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm here for. I need y'all. I need Madeline rue Rowe to write another Star Wars book because her Brian her Brio Organa story in from a certain point of view.
Speaker 1: That was her Okay, okay, okay, sob okay okay. So if that's the case, we've gotten an Organa story, We've gotten a ray Lea story. If you were the deciding factor on where she goes next, what would you have her? Right? That's a tough question, yeah, like because you can't necessarily say, like, oh, a race story because as of right now, unfortunately we don't know the plans for ray right correct. And I think this just puts a really really beautiful bow on the sequel trilogy as we know it. I think it's I think it does very very good. So what do you think? What do you think?
Speaker 2: I'm really off the top of my head, I'm feeling m h. I kind of want to say, like a Padme story, but I feel like we've gotten all of the Padme stories. H I.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm. Is there We never really got a confirmation of how long they train Luke and Leah, right.
Speaker 2: I could see it, so we know it was six months.
Speaker 1: Six months. We do know that for a fact. Yeah. Could we get a story within those six months, a Luke and leya adventure?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. No, because they've kind of bookended it already with the Star Wars comics and the Princess and this scoundrel. Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a really tight.
Speaker 2: Because she said in this story, I think it was the story that she was growing Ben while they were training. Yeah, so I feel like Battle of Jack who Star Wars comic and the Princess and the Scoundrel kind of bookends that. Yeah, it's very it's a very tight window.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if that.
Speaker 2: Is the case of where it was, I for some reason, I have that she was pregnant with Ben while she was training. I don't know that.
Speaker 1: If that is the case, why not.
Speaker 2: And Ahsoka story, Dave Filoni's not gonna let anybody touch Soka. I have like stopped thinking about a potential Ofhsoka stories. I just don't think he's gonna let anybody touch her. Not especially especially after the and now I don't know if he considered this harsh reviews or like, I can't think of the word, but like, I don't think so because of like the Tales of the Jedi, Yeah, and like Ahsoka story crossover, he wants to be able to control her story, and so I just don't think, well, I think it's staring As in the face. Then yeah, yes, have her right reath Silas's story with Aslen Brell. Have that resolution right there. I think that's the plan.
Speaker 1: I think I think that is a solid plan. Okay, I think that would work out perfectly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, so I think that takes us through everything. But the second cameo.
Speaker 1: Yes, so we're at an hour and nineteen minutes, give or take thirty seconds or so, depending on where I cut the this mention at the very beginning of the of the episode and the phone call I had to take, and the phone call I was kind of talking through it. So it's totally fine. I am going to give you guys ten seconds and then we are going to jump into the biggest cameo of this story. Ready nine eight seven, six, five four three two one, All right, spoilers right now, mother fucking Anakin Skywalker shows up in this book, Katie, in big bold, all caps, we thought he was gone for good. In the Shadow of Seth, there is a moment where Luke is having a very dramatic, very intense force fight with the dark Side and on tython, on tython, and then here comes Anakin Skywalker, like a superhero in a superhero movie in all white just boom scares off the dark Side basically and shows up. And it kind of like makes it seem like the way he's fading away in that story, that like he used so much energy yep, that he was gone for good. That's how we had spoken about it in our review. We're like, oh, man, that was like such a cool moment. It was, you know, his last hurrah, saving his son, all of this stuff, and then all of a sudden, Ray is dying. Basically. Uh. She she said, Hey, I'm gonna go for a walk and then never stopped.
Speaker 2: And on the top of a snowy mountain, freezing because she did not bring her jacket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I love I love it because I guys, uh, Luke's film publishing and any in any and all future writers, you cannot write Anakin Skywalker and not think that any real fan of Star Wars is not going to sniff him out before his name is said.
Speaker 2: Okay, but like you're gonna laugh at me because it took me a hot minute. That was a good skyliker.
Speaker 1: I'm listening.
Speaker 2: I'm listening to the chapter today and I'm like, how did I miss it? How did I miss it? Because he like he goes through all these flashbacks of like pregnancy, marriage, growing up with his mom, hugging his mama, she died, like all these things, and I'm like, how did how? Why did I take so long to figure out that I was an a good skylooker?
Speaker 1: But there was like one of the first things is stumbled towards him, he moved aside as he reached. As she reached his place between the trees, his robes reminded her of Luke and I immediately I was like, Anakin, you beautiful bastard. And then I was like, wait, is Obi wan Kenobi about to show himself to her? I was in between both and then warmer tones, brown and tan, young and handsome. I was like, is Obi showing himself as a young Obi?
Speaker 4: Wan?
Speaker 1: Like no? And then it said, of course ageless a scar slashed through his right eyebrow, and I was like, Anakin, you son of a bitch, welcome back.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I totally missed that, but I think it was necessary because, like he flat out tells her you through the Crystal way, you don't need it back, Yeah, like you don't need it if you want it sure, And.
Speaker 1: I will say I know a lot of people made debate on how they like, I would really love to like talk to Roe about this because the way he talks to her. I immediately thought Clone Wars Anakin Skywalker, not prequel Anakin Skywalker, not Revenge of the Sith Skywalker, not Hayden Christensen. I immediately thought Clone Wars. Yeah, like like this. I was like, this is fun. I really like this, which is crazy to think about it. Anakin super well, yeah she does, which is like, I'm pretty sure I'll have to go back. I think Anakin was written as a little bit older in Shadows of Sith.
Speaker 2: But I think that goes back to the to what Luke says, and it may be that this happened, but how Luke says, you know, I've had I've had time, and time doesn't work the same.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did we get.
Speaker 2: Anakin before he helped Luke in Shadows?
Speaker 1: That's crazy. That is so crazy to think about.
Speaker 2: Now, I think you could take that that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is so crazy. But I love this. I love this cameo. And I love this cameo because of the implications, because because I think even Ray no, no, no, it was Leah. Leah mentioned it near the end of the book about like, oh like because again talking about Ben. You can't just sway somebody from the dark side. It's not that easy. My father did it at the very end of his life, you know, type of ordeal. And I just love the implication of Anakin Skywalker himself talking to Ray because whenever Ray ever has a doubt in her mind, she can always remember Anakin freaking Skywalker, like of all people, he's the one that spoke to.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And it also makes that connection. At the end of the Rise of Skywalker, when you hear all those voices, people are like, well, what has she done to deserve that? Like, where is the connection there? Yeah, Anakin's already talked to her and he brought all his friends to come support her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, beautiful, beautiful. I loved it, absolutely loved it.
Speaker 2: Perfect book, perfect ways to use Easter eggs and cameos to the benefit of a book without it feeling overdone.
Speaker 1: Mm hm.
Speaker 2: And purposeful, totally purpose full to the book.
Speaker 1: I agree. Uh And I think that's it. I think that is for our review. I think we we left enough. We we one. I do want to give a shout out two quite possibly one of the coolest characters in this entire book. Uh Mika. Yeah, Micah, adorable little child. I don't even remember what species she is uh okay uh And it's Meeta, It's m E E p k a absolutely adorable. Completely reminds me of of amber Lain because she gets in all sorts of trouble. She thinks she's like on top of the world. She thinks she can do anything. And there was a really scary part at the end of this book, and I was like, you, son of a bitch, don't do it. But there's a resolution, there's there's like it is there's a resolution to it. Again, not gonna spoil it, but it was great. I I really really enjoyed this book. I'm now gonna have to sit down and actually see what my favorite books are. That's what we need to do like, do you see I'm sure you've seen them the tier lists.
Speaker 2: We've done it before.
Speaker 1: We have done it before, that's right, we need to oh gosh.
Speaker 2: At the end of the year, let's plan to do it again.
Speaker 1: Let's yeah, we'll have to plan to do it again this time with all of the books that we have currently read. Man, I need I need to go back and see because I can't remember if we did it on a live show or if we like recorded it. But but it was for sure an episode on the podcast. Yep, So we're we're gonna have to I'm gonna have to look to see what my old one was and really kind of reevaluate because man, this book was good. This book was good. Yeah. But yeah, guys, that does it. This is the end of the episode. Again, we do have other things. We are planning on being live next week.
Speaker 2: Not next week, not next week week after because we're talking about ayes like stars, we're doing that pre recorded.
Speaker 1: Ah, so yes, So this will be the first of two pre recorded episodes. So next week we will also have a pre recorded episode. I was like, Stars, get excited for it. But yeah, we have were reading guys, We're doing a lot of reading this week this month because we still also have trader for our Patreon for next month. So of course you can always find me at fanboy Clay on Instagram and threads. That's where I've been hanging out recently, so go check me out there tomorrow. By the time we're recording this tomorrow Sunday, Jake and I are finally recording an episode after almost a month. We're gonna be talking about, of course, Gavin Infinity, and of course we've kind of turned that into a like TCG talk in the beginning because those episod have been so short. But this episode we're gonna be covering like five different episodes, so I don't think we're gonna have much time to talk about Pokemon cards and all that, So go check that out. But the time you're listening to this, it's already been posted, so go have some fun with that. Katie. What about you, y'all?
Speaker 2: You can find me on most social media platforms. It's at Katie. Remember this show is on Instagram, Blue Sky and Threads at Star Wars Lights at the A and the war is very important, don't forget it. You can also take that username and put it in front of at gmail dot com and choose an email. If you guys read Legacy. We know this is being posted two weeks early, but if you guys read Legacy and want to share your thoughts, ask some questions, I would love to hear from you guys on Star Wars Legacy. Remember, like Clay said, we've got ays like stars next week that will be pre recorded. Then we will have these Star Wars Visions Manga soukomo I believe it is what it's called the following week and that will be our first live episode back. And then the following week we're going to be starting our talk on the ninth Jedi Visions presents the ninth Jedi Show. So with that, guys, I want to wish everyone a great day or night, whatever time of day you're listening or watching, and we will see y'all next time. May the Force be with you