Speaker 1: Minnesota Goodbye on KDB. Well it's not on KWB, it's on the iHeartRadio app. But you get the idea. If you're new to the show, welcome to the Minnesota Goodbye. Basically, it's fifteen to twenty minutes or so of shit we can't talk about on the radio or emails that are specifically for the Minnesota Goodbye from people who listen to the Minnesota Goodbye. So let's start with this one. Hello, wanted to write in get feedback on whether I got scammed by a door to door salesperson. I'm pretty sure I did. I usually usually wouldn't answer the door, but she approaches me in front of my house as I'm returning from a walk. She says she's from Empowered Sales, which is a company that helps single moms make income and raise money for tuition to go back to school. She said one of the things they were having to work on was her interpersonal communication skills, which is why she's going door to door. She was selling magazine subscriptions. I feel like magazine sales are always a red flag, and if you don't read magazines, you can donate to a kid's charity. Mine was going to be children's hospital. She had a clipboard with lots of information that seemed legit. She also had a sheet that all of her customers signed giving her compliments on her communication skills. I ended up giving her thirty eight dollars and didn't have cash, so I thenmote her seriously, what the fuck is wrong with me? It went to a name that wasn't her, and she said it was her supervisor. She gave me a handwritten receipt, and when I looked at it after she left, I realized it had literally no info on it. Oh yeah, I looked up the company but couldn't find anything. Part of me thinks, even if it was a scam, maybe she at least really needed the money regardless. Also, how am I supposed to turn someone away when they say they're a single mother trying to better themselves and that I would be donating to a children's hospital. It was also like ninety five degrees out and I felt bad for am I stupid or too empathetic or both? Just wondering if anybody else has had an experience with this, appreciate your consideration. Can you also email me back and let me know when you're going to read this on the show or the podcast. I want to make sure I don't miss it. Thanks, love you guys from Molly. I don't think you're stupid. I think you're human. I think you did what most of us would do. And she did catch you at an inopportune time where you really couldn't, like, not answer the door. Yeah, and she pushed all the right buttons. Sick kids, single mom, learning how to do one on one communication, she pushed all the right buttons. So you did the right thing. I am certain it was a scam, and I'm sure that she probably shares the money she gets with this lead scammer. Yeah, any thoughts, Jenny, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, yeah, you're not stupid. Don't feel bad. It's totally fine. I'm just a big advocate of don't answer the door.
Speaker 3: But she didn't have a choice, right, But.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, don't feel bad because I think you got put into a corner.
Speaker 4: And I would have done the same thing.
Speaker 1: Oh, I wouldn't feel bad, I'd feel stupid. I told her the story, and I've told this several times. I was in Safeway, which is their version of Cub Foods in Colorado, and I'm pushing my cart around. I'm back by the back in the dairy section. It doesn't matter. But a woman comes up and English was not her first language, let's put it that way. And she's got a cart full of groceries, and she's got a couple of kids, and she's like, excuse me, sir, can you help me pay for my groceries? And I said no, and I spun around and I walked away. And then I immediately felt bad, and I thought, man, what if she really is struggling and she's got groceries and kids. And so I went back and I gave her a one hundred dollar bill. Now, the first thing I noticed was she didn't look at it and go, oh my god, thank you. That's right, because maybe she would expect five bucks. I gave her a fucking hundred dollar bill. She didn't even look at it, and she said, oh, thank you, bless you. And I felt good about it, and I thought, even if she's scamming me, here is somebody who probably doesn't have a lot of money. This is going to help her somehow. And then I heard later from many people who said, no, it's a scam. We kicked them out of our grocery store. All the time. They'll push around a cart full of food. They'll bring along a kid. This is why I don't give money to people who are begging. And I'll call it begging. I don't fucking care begging on the side of the road. I don't give it to them. I gave twenty bucks to a woman who looked like my sister Donna one time because I felt bad for you know, they don't have a good life. You can tell they don't have a good life. But I won't give it to somebody who's like twenty eight years old wearing army camouflage as if I'm supposed to think he's an army veteran. He's holding up a veteran sign. They'll lie and I just don't. It's like, you know what, we give to charity, and we pay a lot of taxes for like programs for people who don't have a lot of money. So I do feel like I do my part, but I'm not going to give it to one individual who seems shifty.
Speaker 4: I don't ever give money to anyone.
Speaker 3: I and you're a kind, generous person, yah, I I.
Speaker 4: Just don't do it.
Speaker 2: And I also for safety purposes, if I do come up on a corner and someone has a sign and they're asking for money. I just always have my windows up, and I if they do try to like make contact with me, I kind of wave a hand away. But that's just because it's like a safety.
Speaker 4: Thing for me.
Speaker 2: I do remember being in an uber once and my uber driver got stopped at a section and there was a woman there asking for money, and he felt bad because she was a woman. So he's like, I don't know, like I just feel bad, and he rolled his window down and gave who gave it to me?
Speaker 4: My Uber driver Uber once and he was like, I just feel bad that she's out here.
Speaker 2: And of course you feel bad, like it's not like we're not human, like we still feel bad that whatever. But no, I don't. I just don't give money to anyone who asks. Or someone comes up to me and asks for something, I say no.
Speaker 1: What about when people come to your door? Because we were going to talk about this on the show today and we didn't quite get to it. So we were talking about how we have a no soliciting sign by our front door and it simply says no soliciting. And I see people on the ring cam walk up. They'll look at the sign and they'll stand there for a second, like deciding whether it means them or not, and then they'll walk away. Once in a while, once a year, somebody will ring the doorbell and I will open the door, and I'll be the last one there was too lately. I said, you see the sign over there, and he looks at it. He goes, oh, I'm not trying to sell you anything. I said, I'm not interested. I don't care. The other night, somebody, I think I told his story. Just the other day, somebody came at eight thirty at night. Yeah, and I'm like, what the fuck are you doing.
Speaker 3: At eight thirty at night?
Speaker 4: That's not okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I just don't know. This kind of it reminds me of the violin players. Remember the violin players a few years ago?
Speaker 4: Still around?
Speaker 3: Are they still around?
Speaker 4: I think so.
Speaker 2: I mean usually people say it's in like Targets and like the suburbs, but there's someone always around, like the Costco area here in the West End that we'll play like saxophone and I'll see a little speaker and I always roll my window down to see if I can tell if it's you. Know legit sure he's actually playing, but whoever plays around the costco I think actually is legitimately playing.
Speaker 1: Usually I am doubtful. Yeah, I just think that it'd be too easy to go down to, you know, pawn America by a saxophone and a PA and a CD or a bluetooth or whatever, because I totally fell for the violin thing the first time I saw it, I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, fuck, he's really good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then we learned it was just a big scam. Another email. The other day, you guys were playing lyric Shuffle. It was Dave's turn. The word met came up and Dave was clueless. Now, lyric Shuffle is the game where we have a word like blue, and then you have to come up with a song with the word blue in the lyrics, like.
Speaker 3: I'm blue, dabity daba I or a woman. Can you come up with a song that's got a woman? Is that a song?
Speaker 4: Yeah? It's a cash song.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, Yeah we played it.
Speaker 4: A little bit, but obviously we didn't play the motherfucker.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Obviously the word met came up and Dave was clueless. I was yelling in my head, hey I just met you. Oh and that song is my ring tone. It is my ring tone because I think it's funny. That is my ring tone.
Speaker 2: So that's your child, Hilly Goose. I can't believe you didn't get that one.
Speaker 1: You know drew a blank next one, Hey, gang, My brother in law and I used to go cycling a lot together. He never wore a helmet. I told him that he should. He finally went out and got a helmet. One day, he fell off his bike. He got hurt pretty badly. He thanked me for telling him to get a helmet because his helmet cracked during his fall. He also had large scrapes and had to go to the hospital. I think they're aiming this at you, Jenny and your non helmet wear errant wearing ways only.
Speaker 2: For rollerblading and I only roller blade. Like I said, it doesn't matter. I don't have to keep reiterating No.
Speaker 4: I know, I get it. I get it. I understand what you guys are saying. I get it.
Speaker 1: This is a really cool email and basically a guy that listens in Turlock, California. His name is Joe Gonzalez. I don't think he's ever been to Minnesota, but he is going to come and visit us in June. And he's like, I've heard you, guys. I found your show on the iHeartRadio app. My wife and I, Amanda, are going to come out to visit and I'd love to come by the radio station to meet you. Guys were like, oh my god, Yes, please. That is so fucking flattering. There was a girl that came to Star Party. I can't remember her name and I haven't heard from her in a while. She was from Atlanta, she'd never been to Minnesota. She listened to KATWB and she wanted to come to KTWB to Star Party. There was David and his wife Lisa there from Detroit. They'd never been to Minnesota. They love KTWB, so they came out here to visit. What a strong connection we have with some people, and I hope we have a connection with you. If you listen to Minnesota Goodbye, I'm gonna get you're a little bit more connected than the average person who just listens to the radio show, and we'd love you for that. Who else? There was a girl named Jill. Jill lived in New Jersey and Jill found us on iHeartRadio and she started listening. Became a big fan supporter of the show, and so she came out here. This is way back in the Leana days, fifteen of years ago. We took her to the five eight Club for a juicy Lucy. We took her on Booty Cruise, We took her to Mall of America to Nick Universe, and she came by the show and she and I haven't heard from Jill in a long time. I'm going to guess her life changed and you know she doesn't listen anymore or something like that. But it's just so cool and Joe, we will welcome you with open arms if you come by, and if you listen out of state and you ever want to come by, and you ever find yourself in Minnesota and you ever want to come by and say hi, let us know, send me an email and we'd love to have you come by. Okay, next one, let's see if I can find something else here. Okay, writing in because I heard somebody complaining about Nats g Nats Nats on one of the last week's episode.
Speaker 3: Do you remember this?
Speaker 4: Maybe yes?
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: My husband swears by absorbing Junior to keep the gnats away, keeps a bottle in our boat and when in his golf bag. I've attached a photo for reference if you've never heard of it. It's an arthritis kind of a rub Oh okay, yeah, pain relieving liquid for sore muscles and arthritis pain. And it looks like a Bingo Dauber, you know what I mean. Yeah, but you rub it on yourself to keep Nats away. I had no idea.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. Good to know because I maybe I should get that. I'm probably heading up towards the north Shore this next weekend and the Nats are definitely going to be out.
Speaker 1: Get some absorbing, Junior. I think it's what you should do. And then finally we come to Juanita's random rant. So let me push the proper buttons because I'm never quite ready for this one because it takes a realignment of some of the controls here, and I have to push and make sure that I'm not pushing the wrong one, and then I double check it, and then I think we're ready to go. You're ready, Jenny, Okay, let's go with Juanita's random rant.
Speaker 3: Hold on one second, Di Di Di? Did do? Here we go?
Speaker 5: Hey, my favorite peeps, So yesterday, Dave you kind of called me off guard. I caught chimed into the show a little late yesterday morning, and the first thing I heard was you're no more than thirty minutes away from uh post Malone and Hubo Steaks. I'm like, who the fuck is Huba Steaks? Sounds like something my son would call my daughter. Well, anyway, this week's week's rant is about UH people who don't get the hint. So you know, when you have a get together whatever, people come over. You know, they have a couple of glass of wine, We sit around, we talk, might play cards. But then when you start singing, the host yawn or you don't say, oh oh well it's getting late, you know it's time to go. But then you always have that one or two people who like to just linger around. Unto the last seconds, it's like get out. So when you see that, you know, I'm starting to put the food away. They still don't get the hint. I'm starting to sweep the floor and wipe out the table. They move over to the to the living room. Nin I went upstairs and put on my momve and I start playing Jojo get out right.
Speaker 4: At the course, I still.
Speaker 5: Don't get the hint. I come downstairs with my momo on and my and my bonnet, and they're like, you want to play some dominoes. No, I don't want to fucking play good dominoes. Get the fuck out, it's time to go. That shit pisses me off. Well that's why I rant for this week. I love you, guys.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: It's so funny, don't I think she's got to be exaggerating that she goes, he gets her moomoon, her bonnet. Yeah, but that is actually really funny. Thank you, Janita. Send your ideas, emails, your audio rants, whatever to Ryan Show at kadiwb dot com