Speaker 1: It's yes, I'm going.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you very much for my reintroduction to the busy listening audience. We Jack Hart and I have roughly about fifty yard minutes of show to go and we just can't get this best started. Ask me why, Jack, why we have a call from framing him?
Speaker 3: Oh? And I always yield to.
Speaker 2: The phone calls whenever possible. They take priority. So Michael, you are next here on night side Jack.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm the guy who promotes you. You know, the little two man show.
Speaker 5: You do the comedy and what's his name?
Speaker 4: Man Morgan does a symbol.
Speaker 5: Although Morgan's getting pretty pretty good what I called about?
Speaker 6: Yeah, and don't cut me off because.
Speaker 4: At the end I got something.
Speaker 3: I got something.
Speaker 7: True true.
Speaker 5: You just see the seven second delay. Anyway, how many how many major election figures do you think rallied in the Boston Garden, the original Boston Garden.
Speaker 4: I don't think they do it anymore.
Speaker 3: How many?
Speaker 5: What major candidates for office?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 5: I did speeches in the Boston gardens, the old Boston gardens.
Speaker 8: Oh, I think they did speeches in the Boston Garden in earlier days.
Speaker 3: I don't work in my life. I know that much.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but that's that's probably started to wane after that, I tell you the truth. That's that's one question I can't answer.
Speaker 3: I don't know, okay, the.
Speaker 6: Reason why I mentioned it.
Speaker 5: And we've got to be a little quiet on this, even though we're going to thirty two stats.
Speaker 4: I happen to those some who ripped.
Speaker 5: That building down, helped your fit down, and they have the original red, white and blue bunting. Of course, you got to show prominent, so I don't know if that means you need you need to do DNA.
Speaker 9: But I'm gonna I'm gonna let go ahead.
Speaker 2: No, we haven't said a word with letting you talk.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, I'm gonna let I'm gonna leave you with one last thing.
Speaker 9: First of all, what are you doing doing the Norse during during the show? I mean, come on, yeah, but listen to this.
Speaker 5: I can't want your syndication newscast, but they hope to get paid extra for on an FM station from Plymouth. And I thought I was gonna fall on the ground when you started advertising juicy juicy juicy juice drinks.
Speaker 6: I thought I thought I was gonna full good thing.
Speaker 3: I wasn't driving, which thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah you d Hey, Michael, thank you, and he was word we were gonna cut him off. Yeah, let's go to Newton where I am right now and talk to Ron.
Speaker 3: Ron.
Speaker 2: Thank you for taking the time to call us here on Night Side.
Speaker 4: Hi, Morgan, terrific show. Thank you so much for filling in as graciously as you do. For Dan. Thank you, good friend.
Speaker 7: Dan.
Speaker 4: And I wanted to call you actually for a long while and compliment you and Nicole Davis today that you quickly pivoted from your show and went on to do such back in the fall. Yes, I was just so impressed and appreciative that night.
Speaker 2: Although I'm sorry you let me correct you those nights plural. That story broke in a Wednesday, and we didn't get an ending to the story, and we all know how that story ended until Friday. So she and I did Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday with updates and information that story.
Speaker 4: More an incredible, incredible team, And I thought I wanted to call in first of all and thank you for that. I've wanted to for a long while. And then secondly, I was hoping I had I have promised my good friend Glenn from Brighton Yes, that I would take him out on my cost this summer on the Jack on Jack's City tour. But we don't know how to best figure out when the optimal time is. It's sort of a sort of a you know, it's throwing the dice. So I was wondering if I could get some of the dice on how to best make that happen. That Jim that's on his bucket list help this man.
Speaker 8: Well, you would come down to uh, you know, make your way down. I don't know what your modes of transportation are, but you know, one way or another, make your way down towards essentially New England Aquarium.
Speaker 3: And right on the main.
Speaker 8: Drag there is is is Atlantic Avenue just right out by the the fountain and the on the Rose Kennedy Greenway, and there's a big fountain there and and then.
Speaker 4: Buy a ticket and well they know in advance, Jack as your schedule. I know that it's but it may vary. And certainly I also have to tell you that I really enjoy.
Speaker 3: Some of the.
Speaker 4: Off the consumer that you have in traffic. It just it just makes it fors to listen to.
Speaker 3: Thank you entirely welcome.
Speaker 8: Yeah, this I I have been doing a little less. I've been working a little bit less this year in radio or in trolley land because I have been doing a lot of fill in work here in the land of radio, and so it's it's a little bit tricky most of the time. At least of the last couple of months, I've only been there like a like a day or two a week, typically towards the end of the week. I know this coming week, I'll be there on Thursday there all day.
Speaker 4: So maybe I can make a range that's on glenn bucket list.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would.
Speaker 4: I would pick him up and and then park at when I used to go to the uh the aquarium, and I would park in the in the parking lot immediately adjacent to it. But I don't know if that's still available or if it is that I'll park and I'll be able to guide Glenn along to the boarding spot and that would be super.
Speaker 2: And also the parking is not a problem down there because the aquarium has parking. There's a huge parking structure about a block walk away and you can find parking. I guarantee it.
Speaker 3: That's right. Just stop it a loan office on your way.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, they tried you an arm and a leg and an ear.
Speaker 3: That's right. Take out a mortgage on your parking space.
Speaker 4: That's that's that's okay. If I can do for this, this for Glenn wants and uh and accomplish that on his bucket list, then we will have succeeded. And I again, thank you so much for what you do, both Morgan and Jacket, and you add to our lives.
Speaker 2: Ron, thank you, thank you very much. And I'm about to take a break. And Ron, Glenn is not next caller, but on deck. Next caller. Excellent, So I've got Larry, then Glenn, and maybe you. The line Rhyn was on, he just cleared, he just hung up. Therefore, if you want to dial six one, seven, two, five, four, ten, thirty eight eight nine to nineteen thirty. And there's a caller who is quite conspicuous in her absence. Whenever I have you on, Jack, Florence from Groveland always calls in. That's right, but as of tonight, she is yet to make an appearance. Oh heck, oh darn. But there's room for you, Florence. If you want to die right now, you grab that line. But Jack, I gotta take another break. We are never going to get this busy on the road all right. Time and temperature here on night Side eleven fifteen seventy nine degrees.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World, Nice Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: We are maybe not going to get this tour a going. It's a good thing that we covered the Boston massacre when we did, because we've got full lines. And yes, Florence did grab that one open line.
Speaker 3: Excellent.
Speaker 2: So Larry, Glenn and Florence in order, let's begin with Larry and reading.
Speaker 3: Thank you Larry for the call.
Speaker 7: Oh uh one of the Oh, I think he knows what the answer is down by the Union Oyster House. Yeah, on one of the old.
Speaker 3: Streets, Marshall Street, yeah, or Union.
Speaker 7: Street in the outside wall right now, it's a gift shop.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 7: What's called the Boston Stone.
Speaker 8: Oh, yes, yeah, I know it's it's it's in Uh last time, it used to be in the Boston Stone Lounge, and then it was a place called the Point. But yes, I'm from Red I'm familiar with it.
Speaker 7: I wonder if you couldn't refresh mine and everybody else's memory about the importance of it.
Speaker 8: Well, there's the Boston stone. It's it's essentially it's just a stone. The last time I actually saw the thing was actually under the ladies toilet in this Boston Stone lounge, which is now defunct.
Speaker 3: And what do you do in the ladies room?
Speaker 8: Yeah, people used to come in, like you know, sometimes college students would come in. They would want to kiss the Boston's own you know. It was the Blarney Stoners, I think. Okay, And it was so so you know, I mean, of course, and if the Boston Stone is there, you want to at least look at it once, you know. And but the Boston Stone, what it was was the it was a central point for measurement for points.
Speaker 3: For oh yeah, for for postal.
Speaker 8: Fees, for the price to uh for for the distance. So that would you would mark from that point if you if you travel around on some of the old post roads and things like this route twenty, Route nine some of the others.
Speaker 2: That's the distance out to Deadham so to speak.
Speaker 3: For example.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you see these you see these sort of little pillars, the small pillars with a mile marker on it. They're all measured from that point. And that way they could that's how they knew how to what to charge for the delivery of a letter or an item?
Speaker 3: All right, Layer, does that make you happy?
Speaker 7: Well? The only reason I know about it. I look. I was going through nineteen twenty eight Boston guidebook and it was mentioned, Oh okay.
Speaker 3: But does it say does it say essentially that?
Speaker 7: Right now? I don't recall.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I'm trusting Jack's word because he knows his Boston history. So Larry, thank you for taking the time to call us, enjoy your weekend. Bust war is good, thank you, and we're going to get it going shortly. So Larry, Larry's line is open. He has hung up if you want to jump on six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty or eight eight, eight, nine, two nine ten thirty. And look who's here in Brighton, Glenn, Glenn, welcome aboard.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I always have to call it Jackson. Yeah, that guy run. He knows the Winnakers. Monday night, when I mentioned Ron, they knew who he was, right, And that's how my bucket was too.
Speaker 3: To go see this show on the Thursday.
Speaker 10: Excellent, Right, I got quite a book. It was called But anyway, two quick things on Norm I remember on the dumb birthday game, when he would do the lottery numbers and you would do the traffic at the same time. That's right, remember you guys sounded like two radio fas and you know, and and I don't know how it happened. It was just you know, it was just absolute you know, the idea, but the but the way it worked, it would always end up that we always ended up ending at the at the same time.
Speaker 8: Our tiring on that always worked out. Just it was just so beautifully uh put together. And you know, it was just and that was never planned, It was never rehearsed, and it would just it would just turn out that way.
Speaker 3: It'd be it'd be.
Speaker 8: Reading the line bottery numbers and and that'd be talking about the traffic and Hi.
Speaker 10: Unfortunately, I loaned my friend of mine. I loaned my birthday game tapes to him, and he moved and I never saw tapes going.
Speaker 8: Oh heck, well, listen to Tony's Tony Nesbit's podcast items.
Speaker 3: He's a lot of them, and that I.
Speaker 10: Don't have a computer, but I had a podcast.
Speaker 3: He has a podcast.
Speaker 8: What he does was he he takes hour long segments of Norm Nathan's programs and and they're out there he does, but said he's got he's got everything. I think there's there's he must have one hundred and fifty or more episodes online now and uh and they're you know it's.
Speaker 3: And each shows four or five hours long. Yeah, well I think he does.
Speaker 8: He does them an hour increments, one hour increments, and and you know, the frustrating part about listening to them is you want to call in. I know, yeah, they still stand, they still stand, they still sound new, you know, oh cool.
Speaker 10: And also the thing Norm used to tease you about using different names on the radio stations. You were Paul Drake.
Speaker 3: Paul Drake, Jeffreys Ball the right.
Speaker 10: But I remember the day he said, now, tomorrow afternoon, you're going to be fool manchoo. And he said, now, will you have a fool man che accent? You know, I don't know what pool man chew accents, stuff like.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well I'm going to I'm going to a boy dot the accents.
Speaker 10: I know. But that's the thing about Norm. He he even said I'm not He used to say stuff like, I'm not afraid of Peter Casey. I'm taller than he is, all right, they said, must still cry. Sometimes he was a good friend.
Speaker 3: Yes he was. He was a wonderful person, Marvel's.
Speaker 10: Human b I met with a daughter, but I think it was was it a breast cancer walk or something one of.
Speaker 2: His daughters I forget, but yes, one of his daughters is listening tonight. She called in during a commercial break just to say she's listening and is enjoying the conversation. Hearing the conversation about her dad.
Speaker 3: Excellent.
Speaker 7: Is that Sonya or Sarah?
Speaker 2: I don't know which one. I know he's he's got a couple of daughters.
Speaker 10: I remember he used to say sonya with a jay, not with them. Yeah, that's all I had. I just and I knew Ron was going to call in, So my buddy, all right, well we got I got to call him.
Speaker 2: We got your call, and you've gotten credit for it. And thank you for making it nice to hear from me.
Speaker 10: From you guys.
Speaker 2: To take care, Glenn, good night, enjoy your weekend. There goes to Glenn, and we made a request for this woman. And it's appointment radio. When the people on the radio call out your name, it's a rule you have to call in. And she is here. Florence from Groveland, Florence, good evening.
Speaker 11: Oh, good evening, Morgan chat. I got a bit of a cold, kind of lousy.
Speaker 3: Honey apple side of vinegar and honey and v.
Speaker 11: Thank you. Do you know what? I'm stuck tonight because I am back at my son's house babysitting and he doesn't have a radio, and I couldn't listen to the show. But I had a feeling that you were on tonight, Yeah, because Walgan mentioned it.
Speaker 3: I promoted it all week long. Excellent.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and so I at least had to call in and say hello, I wasn't sure what you were going to be doing it on tonight.
Speaker 2: You know, we're trying to do a city bus tour and obviously our imaginations, but we keep getting phone traffic. Therefore, he's been keeping his foot on the break like we're at a red light.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah, how long will the tour season be? Jet?
Speaker 8: We we typically run until the end of October. Sometimes we extend a little bit into November, depending on the weather. Really if it's if it's decent weather and we still have and we still have reasonable attendance, then we keep going.
Speaker 11: Oh all right, good, Yeah, we ever to.
Speaker 3: Come to Boston.
Speaker 11: Yeah, keep it in mind. I haven't been in the Boston for quite a while.
Speaker 3: Oh well, come on down.
Speaker 2: Well there's still big, tall buildings every where you look.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 11: I wouldn't miss that too much. But you know the tall buildings, they just don't look up, right because I have a fear.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well really, well, they just keep looking straight ahead. You won't even know there are tall buildings.
Speaker 11: There, right, Or I get in near and just stay on the tour.
Speaker 3: But sure, that's the way to do it. Yeah, all right, start.
Speaker 8: Early, you get to take the tour, and then if you decide they're along the way that you want to get off at places, then go back after just look.
Speaker 2: Left and right. There's no reason to look up.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 8: Although you know there are some of the older buildings, there are some really beautiful details in a lot of the buildings.
Speaker 11: To look up, I think it makes me a little dizzy.
Speaker 8: Yeah, oh, then just look straight ahead and someone you will describe it as people say is there detail up there? And they'll say yes, and say, well, well, what what does it look like? And then they'll tell.
Speaker 11: You right, okay, Well it was great talking with you. It's a pleasure, and it's been a while Jack, and yeah, I missed talking with you. Now, I guess I'll need to wait when you're run again.
Speaker 2: Well, i'll have about again in the fall, sometime in October and November.
Speaker 3: I promise you.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, okay, but I'll be crawling in and say hello as I call in on Saturday night.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll be there until further notice. I'll be there every Saturday ten to midnight.
Speaker 11: Very good, excellent, and thank thank you and Bothie you have a great night, okay you and Florence, all right, and.
Speaker 3: You take care of that cold.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I will, I will thank you all right.
Speaker 2: Bye bye. And Gary Woburn. I'm not going to bring you in now because we only have about a minute before I have to take the break at the bottom of the hour. But as soon as a commercial of two and News come and go, I'll bring you into the conversation. And all of a sudden, we've been getting a lot of phone traffic, so if you want to keep the phone traffic going, six one, seven, two, five, four, ten, thirty eight eight, eight, nine, two, nine, ten thirty. Jack Hart is my guest. He'll be my gay for the next thirty three minutes here on night Side and don't forget. You'll hear Jack Hart periodically at the top of every hour until what three or four in the morning.
Speaker 8: Jack, Well, actually we do it every ten minutes until five am. Ah, every ten minutes. Traffic on the threes.
Speaker 2: Traffic on the threes after midnight, because we're not doing traffic on the threes during nightside. But no, once night side has come and gone, you've got a ten minute.
Speaker 3: Call every time. That's right, exactly right.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, Jack, I think it should be on every five minutes to give you more work to do.
Speaker 8: That's right, every traffic and traffic on another one and a half.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: All right, let me give a chance for Rob to push some buttons in producers control. Here on night Side, Hurd only on WBZ time and temperature eleven twenty nine seventy nine degrees.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 3: Last roundup.
Speaker 2: We have under twenty four minutes of show to go if you want to call in, a lot of people have, especially this last hour. YEA, Jack Cart is here and one of the things I've always loved about having a microphone to share with you. You the audience. I bring in people you don't usually get a chance to have, give and take, interact with, ask them questions, listen to them respond to you. The people on TV, the people on the radio. And here's a chance you hear Jack Cart tell you what roads to take or not to take. But here's a chance that you can call in and speak directly with the man that normally tells you way to go and how to get there. Getting still you can't talk back to him.
Speaker 3: That's right now you can, Yeah, and I can call in. I'll tell you a way to go to live in person.
Speaker 2: Gary, Gary, and Wubern, you're next here on night Side.
Speaker 3: Good evening to.
Speaker 6: You, Gary, Yes, Morgan, your first hour when you talk about cereal, there was something that you got brought up, and I called up about five of my friends I'm believing or not I have friends once in a while, and I called it out to you. Tell him about back to our days when we were kids when this happened. And I'll tell you on a second a little crack of jack surprise. And what I want to know from you and Jack before I go hang up with is that's your days. Because I'm sure you guys are older than me because I'm sixty one. Is what did you guys have as kids that were gimmicky? And I'll give you here at the tumas right the Cereal bucks you talked about the plastic vinyl.
Speaker 2: Yes, Post Cereal, not Kellogg's, not General Miles, but Post Cereal used that gimmick. And the early seventies artists of the day, the Monkeys, the Jackson Five, the Archies. They had records on Alphabets and Sugar Crisp and the other cereals by.
Speaker 3: Post Yeah, yeah, yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 6: Did they have other type of songs in the seventies And.
Speaker 2: To me, my memory just those three artists.
Speaker 3: Now this I remember Sugar Sugar by the Archies.
Speaker 2: By the Archies, Yes, them, And isn't it ironic that you're eating a.
Speaker 3: Cereal with sugar sugar? Sugar sugar.
Speaker 2: But the key is I think it was just those three artists. But that carried a span of a year and a half to two years.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, we played it on our forty five of what and we heard the song of the We're all glorified, We're not glory, you know, ten years all the way back when. Well, but my question is this is if we have saved those the worth money today.
Speaker 3: Is collectibles one word? Yes? Really?
Speaker 6: And how much would that event?
Speaker 9: Just a little next.
Speaker 2: Time I have Gary Summers on and I rotate him on my air schedule with every two or three months frequency, call in and ask him. I have no idea of the worth. But if you had an alphabet SPOX that had ABC on it from the Jackson five and it's rap tight, what you had to do was rap it tight in like saran wrap to make it that much more valuable and prove that it's the original serial. I'm sure there's a value, there's a there's worth. Somebody will want to own that and they will pay you. I'm giving you a ballpark figure. Don't hold me to this figure, but they'll pay you twenty five dollars for it.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 6: And before I go off, I want you and Jack to put on your thinking cash back when your kids it's not around anymore. That was a cheap thrill. And before I can go, I gotta say one thing. I am starting a petition and I want both you and Jack to join this petition. And I started out as number one, and you guys will bead number two and three. So we don't have to take calls from Florence anymore, thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, no, no, no no. Florence has carte blanche. She can call anytime she wants. Yeah, and twice on Sundays. You don't like Florence, now, Gary, I'm going to say this all my callers, all of my callers have a red carpet to call in. Whenever I have this microphone, you may call in and you may participate as you do. And I'll be honest, I'm sure there are people that are not enamored with you when you call in yet and still I take your calls, and you even once on a couple of occasions, you've requested guests. I think you requested Svenguli for me to try and get, which I did. So everybody that calls the show, you're all equal, you're all loved, and we're all family.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So there, and he knew that that was going to open a can of worms. That's why he hung up right after that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why, Florence is a nice person. I love Florence, and she has a crush on you. Jack. Oh boy, it's your voice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you've got that kind of voice that some of the women swoon when they.
Speaker 8: Hear it just makes them crazy. Oh it does. Yeah, bah bah bah boom.
Speaker 3: Listen. Oh my goodness. We never get a chance to take the tour. They never take the tour. They just have to come down and take the tour.
Speaker 2: Well, I've got one more break to take in four minutes or so. But do me a favor. Yeah, let's take the tour and do it non stop. So stop A is the stop? B is that, et cetera. Take me around the city of Boston with the tour and we'll do it rapids fire.
Speaker 3: Okay. So here we are with the long long Wharf.
Speaker 8: This is where the British occuisty began the occupation of Boston in seventeen sixty eight.
Speaker 3: Of the wharf itself.
Speaker 8: Longest in the world when they built it, more than two thousand feet, extended all the way up what's now State Street, which was all part of the Boston Arbor in those days, heading into the North End right now the oldest city in Boston, and it was found it was and they started out the Shawmutt Peninsula. It was just a tiny little island for all intents and purposes a couple of square miles as all As was, and John Winthrop and seven hundred Puritans realized there was some buildable space and a deep harm where they could bring in big ships. Before you know it, we had the most successful commercial port on the Colonial coast. And then in the seventeen sixties the rebellion began. That that became the American Revolution. Heading on down towards Stop number three. On the way down there, going to pass by the steeple to the Old North Church. April eighteen, seventeen seventy five, Bobby Newman went up there, come to lanterns to let twenty eight men.
Speaker 2: You knew him as Bobby, I learned him as Robert.
Speaker 3: But you were a buddy, absolutely, okay, sure, sure, sure, yeah. Yeah. We called them Bobby. We called them a couple of other things too.
Speaker 8: But sir, he risked being charged with treason by putting a couple of lanterns up in the steeple when he found out that the British soldiers were going to row across the Charles River from Boston Common to Cambridge, march out to Concord and arrest Sam Adams and John Hancock for treason, and while they were out there they started the Revolutionary War. Continuing over the bridge into Charlestown. Right now, you're going to see the big tall thing looks like an Egyptian obelisk, monument to those who died on June seventeenth, seventeen seventy five of the Battle of Bunker Hill. Go around the corner, we'll see the USS Constitution, the oldest fully commissioned ship in the US Navy, got her thirty forty four battles, never lost, one got a nickname Old Ironsides. During the War of eighteen twelve a battle between the USS Constitution and the Guerriere, and the cannon balls were pounding off the hall of the Constitution didn't even make a dent, and as the Guerriere was sinking, an officer or state aboard said something we can't say on radio, and that yeah.
Speaker 2: Four three hundred years later, we still can't say it.
Speaker 8: That's right, And so instead the tour guide say huzzar. The heading back in towards the downtown area passed by the Zacam Bridge, widest cable stayed bridge in the world, one hundred some odd nearly two hundred feet wide with fine lanes of traffic in each direction. Bolst TD Garden is where the Boston Bruins play hockey. Celtics played basketball, won the championship there a few weeks ago, and then we're going to head up to stop number five. You can see you can see another view of the Zacom Bridge from a different perspective. TD Garden is there, the North Station, Amtrak commuter Rail, Orange Green subway lines and head.
Speaker 3: Into the West End.
Speaker 8: One time a working class neighborhood, all torn down in the nineteen fifties in the days of urban renewal, when interstate highways and the rise of suburbs or drawing people away from cities, and cities were trying to revitalize to keep people interested. They kicked out about six thousand families. And then from there we're going to head through what's now Government Center. One time Scully Square an entertainment district. It was one time movie houses in vaudeville houses, and then it became a burlesque and then it just became a typical red light district by the nineteen fifties, with had two parlors and shimmy shacks and so forth, and so on.
Speaker 2: Shimmy shacks. I've heard that phrase in a long time.
Speaker 8: Go and they, of course, they you know, try to be historic, so we say words that they said back then.
Speaker 2: Remember Old Scully Square Rick Tinery.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, yeah, I'm not familiar with that song. But also you never heard it all I know I did not. And Rob, hold on, I've got a break soon, and I want to play that for you.
Speaker 2: Rob during the break, if you can find Rick Tineries, remember Old Scully Square, and we'll play it within the last ten minutes of show. Okay, continue.
Speaker 3: So, so a government center build us.
Speaker 8: They started building it in the early nineteen sixties and they created the what's called brutalist architecture now because it's brutal.
Speaker 3: And continuing down the road, you're going to pass.
Speaker 8: By the Blackstone Block, oldest commercial district in town, the Holocaust Memorial, the Showell Memorial, dedicated to those who suffered in the Holocauster and World War Two. Heading down to the old State House built in seventeen thirteen as the British Government building, the site of the incident at King Street that we talked about earlier. Eight British soldiers attacked by nearly four hundred American colonists crowd. Brittish soldiers fired into the crowd, killed two people and the spot. Three more people died over the next several days, heading up around continuing up a State Street towards Court Street, it passed by the site of the seventeen Court Street is where you find the New England Center for Homeless Veterans. If you served in the US Armed Forces and fallen on hard times, they'll look after you now. But it was on that spot in the early seventeen hundreds, James Franklin had a printing shop. His youngest brother, Ben was his apprentice. The two of them didn't like each other. They fought regularly. Ben left Boston to get away from Jimmy ended up in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Became a publisher there, the old Steaming Kettle, the Giants Steaming Tea Kettle. They was put there in eighteen seventy three who advertised the Oriental Tea Company. This people were illiterate. You had to show them what they were dealing with. There was a gastroenterologist right next door. Now traveling around the corner to getting past the King's Chapel burying ground that started out as a Puritan burying ground where John Winthrop, who founded Boston, is buried.
Speaker 3: King's Chapel.
Speaker 8: The Anglican representatives to the King wanted to build a church. Puritans wouldn't sell them land to do it, so the Anglicans ended up building a church in the Puritans burying ground. The oldest continuously operating hotel in America the Parker House Hotel, passing by the Granary burying ground. Paul Revere, John Hancock, Samuel Adams, mother Goose, Mother, Goose Yeah. Those who died as a result of the Boston Massacre. Benjamin Franklin's parents and siblings all buried there. Park Street Congregational Church, built in eighteen oh nine in the eighteen thirties, became the national voice for the movement to abolish slavery in America, the Abolitionist movement, even though slavery had been abolished in Massachusetts in seventeen eighty three. Bark Street Subway station oldest subway station in Americas is eighteen ninety seven. Boston Common oldest public park in Americas in sixteen thirty four. Come around through the Theater district. At one time thirty five theaters is where plays began started their run in their Broadway run so they could work out all the bugs. Swing around the corner to.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna stop you so you can take a breath. I could take a break. I know you've got a little more to go. We've also got a call to take good grief and a lot to do. In roughly twelve and a half minutes. Stim of temperature here one night side eleven forty seven seventy nine degrees.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Mine from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: One more call to take with Jack Hart and it's Bob in Boston. So, Bob in Boston. You made it. You're on night side.
Speaker 9: Yet on Jack, do you have a bike rack on the front of us?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 9: Uh, could you add what I have to use a bike from down to the Plymouth area. I take the commuter rail. The boss with a bike. It's partially electric, Tellus says, I've been all over Boston. Yeah, on the bike. I've probably seen you go by, sure, you know up especially around the Granary Burial Grabit. I couldn't leave it anywhere. It's too valuable.
Speaker 8: Well, what you could do is if you if you if you bought the ticket at stop number one, then you would ask the the the there's typically three or four people at stop number one, especially on a busier day, and uh, you know, and sometimes people leave, you know, various electric scooters and and and other things there just just because it's uh, you know, if you're as long as you're back there by the end of the day, they will typically you know, keep their eye on it for you or you know, our eyes on it for it, but they won't keep their actual eyes on it, but they'll be looking to make sure that nobody steals it.
Speaker 9: It's my transportation, believe it or not. You know, sure, almost twenty thousand miles on it.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 8: Wow yeah, yeah, come on down and ask and ask and ask the dispatcher.
Speaker 3: To to keep his eye on it while you're on the tour.
Speaker 9: Yeah. Where where are you situate? I commit to South Station of course.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the well right at right at the long Wharf, right down near right between the well right on Atlantic Avenue, right across from the Big Fountain there on the Greenway and right near the Marriott. Long Wark was on one side. Boston Aquarium is New England Aquarium is on the other side.
Speaker 2: South station is about six blocks away about that's right.
Speaker 9: No, I'm familiar with the area, right, get my eye service. Uh that uh fifty Stupit Street, you know, so right, I go in there for eye service. So that's why I'm on a bicycle and not driving, by the way, So okay.
Speaker 3: Sure, sure, yeah, no, they would, they would.
Speaker 8: They would keep their eyes on it, would keep their eyes on your on your.
Speaker 2: You're not the only person to bring a vehicle of that sort down to the the little hut where they are located.
Speaker 9: Okay, anything else, I'm lost without it. I have to have it to get from the train station to my house.
Speaker 3: We get there, we get that, bob. Yeah, yeah, yeah, they would, they would. That looked. You know, they've they've they will make sure it stays port. That's right, all.
Speaker 9: Right, boy, I'd love to give it a try. Also, right across from Dewey Square, there that building that has that bow front right as ray on the surface artery what used to be the service Ary. You know what building? That is a beautiful building.
Speaker 8: Uh the uh the U is the one, the pregnant building that used to be the Bay Bank building we used to call it.
Speaker 3: Is that the one that you're talking about.
Speaker 2: I think he's talking about the one a couple of blocks down from South Station.
Speaker 9: Right across from South Station, right across from acrossover Atlantic Avenue.
Speaker 8: When it's right there, across over Atlantic Avenue, and it's right there. What what used to be the the Essex Hotel not that far.
Speaker 9: Right, probably well, I don't know if that was them, but I love the design of that building. I'm sitting into the out of Rodjacks here, you know, with a breakfast from McDonald's.
Speaker 2: It's it's partly a hotel, partly an office building.
Speaker 3: And know the building of which you.
Speaker 8: Speak, Yeah, there's there's there's so many wonderful buildings down there.
Speaker 3: I have to keep my eyes open for it to see which one, which.
Speaker 9: One You've missed. When you're in a car, you don't see you can't look up. That's right, right, that's right architecture.
Speaker 8: Even even driving, you know, even driving the trolley. And then sometimes then I'll get in my car afterwards and I'm thinking, no, I can't see what I said earlier.
Speaker 9: The other thing, Bob, is what cross the first Catholic street was a trod? Adams asked the chaplet of the French Sweet as they were leaving Boston at eighteen oh wait, if they could have the chapel for the French Sweet. And I think it was Holy Cross, but I cart find that. I know it's down it's got to be right in the downtown area, right, Well.
Speaker 8: The Cathedral the Holy Cross is on the Cathedral of the Holy Cross would be later than seventeen, would be later than eighteen oh eight. And that's down on Washington Street in the in the south end there, and so that would be and that church, I'm just going to just guess that it's the eighteen seventies or so that.
Speaker 3: Matter of fact.
Speaker 8: My graduate I graduated from Columbus High School. But are the the ceremony was.
Speaker 9: Actually I worked at a place called Chris Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, Well the ceremony was out there at the Cathedral of the Holy.
Speaker 3: Cross down there.
Speaker 2: All right, Bob, thank you for your call, Bye bye, all right. And earlier we talked with Touf Grace, who is no I'm to for Grace is on that TV show that seventies show to for Ellis who's here talking about cereals? That was my first hour. Matt Hannah in Watertown, who's put together the porch Fest music for those of you who enjoy good music in your neighborhood, coming right to you. And since ten o'clock, Jack Hart has been here. And Jack, you know, I love working with you, and that's why when I get a chance to fill in for Dan, you're one of the people I always call.
Speaker 3: Well, that's one of my favorite things to do. Say you that much right now, and you're going to be here all night long, all.
Speaker 8: Night long, every ten minutes, so you'll be here and me talk about what's going on on a railroad.
Speaker 2: When do you check out? What time you sign off?
Speaker 3: Four fifty three is my last hit? Lucky you? Yeah, that's me.
Speaker 2: You've got four almost five more hours of time telling about give me a second. The Sycamore still not allowing people to go towards the cape.
Speaker 8: That's exactly right, yep. You have to go down to the Bourne Bridge and go over the bridge there. And that's actually to say I pay attention. I paid attention.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you, Connie. I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: And people that I want to thank are all of you who listen to me this week. Doing a fill in is tough because people want to hear the regular hosts, they hear he's not on.
Speaker 3: And then they don't listen.
Speaker 2: So for those of you who's stuck with me for five of the past six days, I thank you. I think Rob Brooks, I think Nancy and Gray again. I think Jack Hart. And I'll be here tomorrow night, ten o'clock with my own show, The Morgan Show.
Speaker 3: By Boston