Speaker 1: Let's get into the Minnesota Goodbye. I did a deep dive clean deep clean is what I mean of the mailbox last night. I sat there probably for an hour and answered emails wow, and apologized to people for not getting back to them. And it's just it's not hard to keep track of it's just that, you know, it's I do a shitty job of it, that's all. So let's get into the Minnesota Goodbye. This one goes back a couple of months, but I thought it was really interesting. I want to share some really cool facts about my one hundred and fifty year old New Olm home. And this is what it came up. A couple of months ago. We were talking about New Olm and old houses and I'm so fascinated by that. So, in case you don't know, there was an Sioux uprising in eighteen sixty two where the Sioux were like, fuck you, you're not feeding us and we're supposed to get government rations, and you won't let us hunt, and you won't let us do this, so we're going to go attack settlers. So the settlers all fled to either Fort Ridgely or New Olm. The Indians chased them into New Olm and here's what happened. Our house was super close to where the Indians were pushed off to the people who built our home felt bad for them and would give them food often, and we're friendly with them. The Indians completely left our property alone during the uprising, didn't burn the barns, and apparently used this land as a hospital. They also completely left Shells Brewery alone because they were very kind to the Indians. Also, the first ever registered doctor in Minnesota was born on our land, and the Indians had never seen a white baby, so they all came down to see him. We live about five four so miles down the road from Fort Ridgeley. Lots of history in our home and inter we're seeing things like the fact that the one bathroom we have is tiny and in a dumb spot because they added it later since they didn't have any indoor plumbing when it was built, so when they did, they just put in the bathroom in like a random spot, like in the middle of the living room or whatever. And anyway, I love our old home besides the snakes, mice and bugs. Thank you, Hannah.
Speaker 2: I went to the New Alm Historical Society Museum because I was there a couple of years ago. Yeah, that museum is really interesting because it's very clearly like curated over time, so like each floor definitely has like a different author in a different decade, because it kind of goes back and forth between saying like it was the Native American's faults, it was the settler's fault, and just kind of like tug of war. But it's actually quite fascinating to see both points of view like happening congruently.
Speaker 1: You know. It's it's interesting because, I mean history has kind of shown that it was you know, the natives. They were vicious because they were their their lifestyle was being taken away. Any of us would have been vicious and viciously defended, and the Natives tried to in a lot of time, they tried to get along with us, but we were horrible, yeah, cract and and just horrible crappy people. So the Natives were just doing what any civilization with society would do, and that is like, Okay, we try to be nice to you, now fuck you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I think that there's my short course on Native history in pretty much the entire country. There were a lot of It's really interesting to me and I actually know a lot more about it than you would think that I do. But a lot of the tribes were very welcoming, yeah, and some of them weren't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we shanked all of them. We really kind of well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you talk about a race that has really been fucked. Yeah, and that is the Natives in the United States.
Speaker 2: M m m.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move on to our next email. I'm going back in time a little bit. This one goes to earlier this summer. A couple of Mondays ago. You shared a great Monday motivation about appreciate our parents and if our parents are still alive, to call them and got me thinking about something I've been struggling with. And I'm wondering if I could do a group therapy or ask am I the jerk? So we're gonna do this one here on the podcast. I am an only child the wonderful and loving parents. They have been nothing but supportive, and I'm so grateful I have them both in my life. We have a great relationship. I'm grown, married, kids my own. The only problem I'm dealing with is my mom text me all the time, morning, noon, and night. There's not a day that goes by that she doesn't check in multiple times a day, and it's only gotten worse. And she's retired. She's got to know every detail about what's going on for the day, plans for the evening, asks a bazilion questions about myself, husband and kids. I notice it's even worse when I'm out of town or doing something specific with other people. It's suffocating that I constantly reply back and check in about every detail? Does that make me a jerk? She just loves me and she cares. I know it's successive, But how do I tell her to ease up? It would crush her and I often think how much I'll miss the check ins daily, so I try to be patient. I know I'm lucky to have my mom, but I'm wondering if it's normal or am I a horrible person for even feeling this way? Love to know what you think. That's a really good question. We try to go easy on Carson because Carson makes it very clear that he doesn't want to be bothered all the time. Every five days, I'll send him a text message. Every five days, I'll do a FaceTime or a phone call. Yeah, but you know he doesn't want to be pestered, he's got his own life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I try to. I mean I try to talk to my mom if it's like texting. I tried to talk to her like once a day potentially, because sometimes I feel the same way as this person emailing in. She'll text me about random stuff and I'll be like what are you talking about? Or like why are you telling me this? But I'm trying so hard not to like be irked by it, because like this emailer said, like once she's gone, I'm going to miss it, even if it's weird in the moment, be like, I don't know why you're telling me this, I'll still miss it when she's gone. So I try and text my mom every single day and then call her every four or five days potentially.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, your mama.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, I'm really not someone to come to to help this person out because I don't talk to my family very often at all. I haven't talked to my my dad doesn't even know we bought a camera van. My mom and I maybe have spoke on the phone once in the last like month or so.
Speaker 4: We don't really text.
Speaker 3: Like my mom and I catch up in short increments and it's like a good amount of time my dad. I just have to prepare for conversations with him because it's two hours of him talking about himself, and so I have to men time.
Speaker 1: And Dad's got to do better because Fallon's dad and Corey's dad did the same thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's it's I don't I don't have any solution for you because I don't deal with.
Speaker 2: That at all.
Speaker 1: Do you think that your dad and I'm just going to try to put this, not try to put it on you, but do you think that your dad does all the talking when you call him or he calls because you don't have much to say, No.
Speaker 4: Not at all.
Speaker 3: I have so much to say. He doesn't know anything about my life. Most of the time he didn't. I mean, you know, obviously there's been lots of changes on the morning show in the last year. My dad like never even knew about most of them until like half like months after they happened. Because when we talk, it's the same conversation. The most recent conversation has been about the fact that he is in some golf tournament with old high school friends, and it's every time I've talked to him for four months, he talked about that golf tournament that was coming up for about twenty minutes. I time the moment he finally asked me a question about myself, and I send it to my sister's zone.
Speaker 1: Oh no, you time it. Oh my god, so like thirty minutes into it before he asked you about yourself.
Speaker 4: Trust me, it's not just me. He does it with my sisters too.
Speaker 3: I was just on the phone with my older sister last night and she said that he called her and was talking her ear off about some guy who's running for senate or something in Wisconsin, was at this pizza place he was at, and just like talked to her about it for like twenty minutes, asked her one question and like let her answer, and then went back to talking about whatever he wanted to for another However.
Speaker 1: That is the worst, and I think any of us could learn, like let the other person talk, but also ask that person a fucking question.
Speaker 2: I would say, like, yeah, it would be nice obviously if they ask you questions. That goes more back and forth. But for people like that that just talk and talk and talk and talk, in my brain, I just think they probably don't have a lot of people to talk to.
Speaker 4: They don't, and that's why I let my dad do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he doesn't have but like, I also can't feel bad because he's built his life to be like that, right, Yeah, like I can't take full responsibility for him not having a big social life of other people to talk to, So of course I let him talk. I'm not upset about it. I just have to mentally prepare for my conversations. Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was kind of like that person. Remember about two weeks ago, I said that I was at lunch with somebody or we'd gone to dinner, and they wouldn't stop talking, and I finally said, you need to let me talk. I want to talk. And they were so hurt, but it was like fucking a you never stop talking. Whenever I start to talk, you let me get one sentence and then it's back to you. You never asked me about myself, and we honestly we haven't spoken since. Yeah, that's right, and it is sad. All right. This is an interesting one. It says, hello, my favorite morning crew. You always hear about body count, but I heard a better way to think about it. I feel that this is more for women, but there are exceptions for everything. So your body count should be the actually number of the people who actually got you to finish, not the body count of the people who you hooked up with.
Speaker 2: Okay, God, So the.
Speaker 1: Body count then goes way down. So hypothetically a body count is twenty six, but the number of people who actually crossed the finish line with you, that number goes down to three for me, just three. Sorry, super random and it always made me laugh. Love you guys, right, that's from Kristin.
Speaker 3: God, I love you, Chris. I think that's awesome, brilliant, that's brilliant. I have pretty much had sex with nobody, I kidd Is it that bad?
Speaker 2: Ye? That's a lot bad.
Speaker 3: It is pretty close to like the math that Kristin just did of twenty six to three. I mean I have a higher number than that, and I don't care, I'll admit that, but it's pretty close in terms of like percentage.
Speaker 1: I think there's as a guy, I'm going to try to give you the guy's perspective. Okay, sometimes we don't know what especially when we're in experience, we don't know what it takes to get you there, so we think you're not going to get there and so then we go ahead and finish. So we're working, work and work, and we're trying all these things that we know that we think work, and nothing seems to work. And that's probably from anexperience and also inexperience with that particular partner. So if you're with a partner and you know what they love, then you go do what they love. But sometimes what that person love is not something the other person loves.
Speaker 3: Right, And I will take blame for a lot of my lack of I guess body count if that's how we're putting it, Because when I was young, I just pretended. I pretended like I was liking something because that's what I thought I was supposed to do. And so it's unfair to that person, the partner I always like was engaging in activities with. But I also think that there are just a lot of selfish people out there who won't even try to learn.
Speaker 1: And I hear it all the time. I was talking with a friend of mine yesterday, and it's weird that you know, you're like, why would you? Susan gets annoyed with me because they're like, yeah, I talked to this friend and they were telling me about their husband. So I was talking to this friend and they were telling me about their husband. Now they do they have sex once every six months and he climbs on, finishes and then slides off. And she's like, and I got to pretend that that's normal. And I'm like, well, you know it's not normal. But I think that there are a lot of guys who for whatever reason slide on, do their thing and slide off.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Going through some other older emails and like I said, cleaned out the email box last night, and I'm going to hit the lead on that one so I will know not to read it again. Let's see, I am a special ed teacher and every day I searched through the National Today dates to create a question to the day of the students. This morning has stumbled upon the dead fact that it is National Radio Day. This was last Friday. So happy day to you all. You're my favorite and make each day something to look forward to. I've listened through all the stages of my life, and like many others, it's fun to think back to the days when we would beg our bus driver to put on Katie WB. Oh, put on.
Speaker 2: Katie wb that's cute.
Speaker 1: A quick topic for the Minnesota Goodbye is Halloween is rapidly approaching. Were you a household that did store bought or homemade Halloween costumes? Either way, what's your most memorable childhood costume? Thanks for listening. If this constitute is staff writer sticker, here is my address and absolutely I will send you a staff writer to sticker Jenny. Were you homemade or store bought and give me your most memorable costume?
Speaker 3: We were homemade because we were Paul and my mom knows how to sew. So my most memorable was the fact that my older sister and I were toothpaste. I was Crested and she was Colgate one year, so we were tubes of toothpaste and that is huge one of my favorite that's cute, one of my absolute favorite Halloween costumes, Bailey.
Speaker 2: We were kind of homemade, like we would get all of our costumes at Goodwill and then put them together ourselves, and me and my sister trigger treated like forever too long, And I think literally the first thing I thought of was one year, my sister was Karnak from you know who Johnny Carson, Yeah, Johnny Carson Show.
Speaker 1: She was Karnak with turbine and Oh my God, and then funny.
Speaker 2: I was zombie Donald Trump when he was on the Apprentice. So I walked around in a suit and I had a little briefcase and a combover.
Speaker 1: That's funny, you know, it's funny. I don't remember. We were a little bit of both. We had very cheap store bought costumes, usually hand me down from my brother from when he was younger. I had Casper the Friendly Ghost, and it was one of those plastic masks with a cheap rubber band around the back that always broke. And I think I was at Donald Duck one time, and all the other years, I truly do not remember what I was except when I was. The last year I went trigger treating was probably in six or seventh grade. I made a robot costume out of a cardboard box and I painted it up and I put lights and dials on it, and I put a head on the top and I painted it silver, but I ran out of silver paint, so half of the box was still. It said, like, you know, I don't know, potatoes or something on the side. And I remember trick or treating and realizing I was too old real. So that was the last time I trigger or treated. Sixth or seventh or eighth grade.
Speaker 2: I tricker treated into high school because my sister loved candy. Okay, let's get more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think whatever. Kids in high school, it's like in a couple of years are going to be a college and being adults. People like I don't like high school kids trick or treating. Let them trigger treating as you're.
Speaker 2: Wearing a costume. You could show up and she'll give you candy.
Speaker 1: I don't even care if they're not wearing a costume, you know, if that brings them joy of me giving them a fucking almond joy in some dots, I don't care. Come to my house. You're more than welcome to take my almond joy in dots.
Speaker 2: Come and take it. Please it in there anymore.
Speaker 3: Did you guys ever go up to the house and be like, retreat And then the person at the door was like, I choose trick. Now they expected you to do a trick some Oh my gosh, there was someone in my aunt's neighborhood who did that every time we want and then they'd give you candy eventually.
Speaker 4: But I was always like, oh, here, we go what kind of trick do I have today?
Speaker 2: One guy like gave out riddles because he chose tricks, So he would give you this like little baggy that had all these riddles in it. It was kind of cool, actually, I liked that one.
Speaker 1: Uh, this is an email that is I think is probably better on the air. So we're gonna kind of save that on the air because they're wondering whether downtown Minneapolis is safe or not. They said they live in the suburbs. They will work as a server in downtown Minneapolis. They're gonna have to park four blocks away, and they won't get out of work until after midnight. And they're worried about walking through downtown Minneapolis alone a woman four blocks after midnight. I would worry about that too. I worry about Alison walking to the Target corporation and she's right there in the parking garage because and it would be whether that was in Denver or Cleveland or Cincinnati or Spokane, any city. But yeah, I absolutely would worry about that, and I would do some checking before you you know, she's trying to decide where to take the job. Yeah, does anybody know more about this than me?
Speaker 2: I feel like sometimes they have like escort service where you can get escorted to your car by somebody. And I mean, I live in Minneapolis, and I'm in Minneapolis a lot after hours, like late into the hours. I think as long as you're walking briskly to your car and you're paying attention, you're like, you know, staying alert, then you should be fine. Because I don't agree when people are like Minneapolis is a lawless city, Like, well, are you standing around and talking to strangers? Just walk, walk, walk, go fast and be purposeful in your walking.
Speaker 1: All right? Next one, Hello, fam, longtime listen. It's for Dave. Dave, did you just hear about this plane that made a landing on a highway in northern Minnesota? And they put a picture of a plane that's pretty much intact and it is a one engine propeller plane, looks like it holds about six people. My question to you is, since you're a pilot, do airplanes you fly have emergency parachutes of any kind if you can't land? Or is that only in military planes? Well let me know if I get boring, because this I could talk about this for a long time. No, most of the planes that you'll see that are like that are my size planes. They do not have an emergency parachute. But there is one brand that does. It's called the Cirrus and they're made in Duluth and they're beautiful, very expensive, very high quality sports cars of airplanes, and they have an emergency parachute. Problem with Cirrus is that they crash and kill people at a disproportionate rate because people will take that plane up in bad weather when they're not qualified, because that is their literal safety net, and then they will get in trouble and they will kill themselves because they feel like, well, I'm safe, I've got a parachute. So there are some that have a parachute, but in my opinion and my reading, they are also you still got to be very careful. Military planes do not have parachutes. They have ejection seats. Yeah, so if the pilot is in trouble and the plane's going to crash, you pull the handle and it'll shoot you out of the top of the plane like in top gun. Sure, and that is an ejection seat, then you will parachute down. Also, I'm sure it depends on speed, but if the engines go out and you're just gliding. How far can you actually glide before you have to land? That's a good question. It depends on how high you are, because the higher you are you can actually glide a long way if you go. If you lose an engine on an airplane, you've got a great glider. And we're actually taught that if your engine goes out, you do like an emergency engine out drill, and there's several things that you go through. You try to restart the engine, and then you set up for what we called best glide speed, which is the speed that you can glide the farthest at. So yes, you can glide for miles, depending on how high you are are. And that is about going to do it for the Minnesota. Goodbye for today. Anything that anybody wants to add.
Speaker 4: I think I do not have anything to add.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, let us know about everything. From any advice from somebody, or whether your body count should include only people who got you to the finish line, or whatever you want to comment on. We love new topics. If there's something you've always wanted to bring up but you never have, go ahead and send it. We would love to see that, and we will see you tomorrow here on the Minnesota Goodbye and email Ryan Show at kadiwb dot com