Speaker 1: I have something to say, and I hope you'll indulge me for a minute. After the tragic and horrifying events of last week, I wanted to give up. I feel as though I'm such a bad communicator and so bad at my job, my only job, that I end up arguing with my audience on social media rather than convincing them of my points here on my program. But after a lot of self reflection, a lot of what I guess they would call soul searching, and the love and support of those closest to me, I've come to realize that this is just the beginning, not the end. Evil flourishes in darkness and complacency. There is more work to be done, there's more truth to be spread, And if I'm not equipped to effectively do my job, then I simply need to work harder and get better at it. So here's a little bit of truth for you. Here's the hot take I've come up with. If you celebrate the murder of someone simply because they have different beliefs than you, simply because of their words, simply because they hurt your feelings.
Speaker 2: Then you.
Speaker 1: Are the problem. You are the monster. Period. There's no logical reason why that should need to be said. Sword and Scale contains adult themes and violence, and it is not intended for all audiences.
Speaker 2: Listener discretion is advised. Can deny and deny and deny, and then but in the in the end, out you guess you're saying, you guys know something I don't know. I mean, she's dead.
Speaker 3: Well, we do know a lot of things about her reading because she's there as the way that she's no longer with us.
Speaker 4: M hm.
Speaker 1: It's mid twenty sixteen in Seattle, Washington. The sun hangs lazily in the afternoon sky, but a stubborn layer of fog still clings to the top of the trees. The Central District is starting to wind down after another Monday. Fairy horns blaze faintly in the distance as commuters pull into their driveways. Tucked away in one of the city's oldest neighborhoods, one resident on twenty first Avenue has traveled more than most. After returning home from an out of state work trip, he steps out of his car and exhales a sigh of relief, right before noticing that his trash bins are out by the curb. Eugh with a pin in the ass. It's one last chore before he can go inside and relax. He walks over and reaches for the recycling bind and starts to pull it towards his house, but immediately stops. It's heavy, and all of a sudden, he's annoyed. The city must have skipped over his house while he was away. I'll tell you he just can't find good help these days. When he lifts the blue lid, he only becomes even more frustrated. Peering down into the trash can, he sees that there's three landscape sized trash bags stuffed inside. They didn't even bother to put it in the right bin. He reaches inside for the top bag, but when he tries to pull it out, the tie snaps, causing the barrel to topple over onto his lawn. Talk about annoying. As he rounds the front of the bin, his breath catches, and then he sees it something that can't be mistaken for anything but a female's foot lying in his driveway. Snahomish County, Washington, is located less than twenty miles north of Seattle. It's the kind of place where you'd expect life to be quiet, forested back roads, small towns, that sort of thing. But like anywhere else, this area of the Pacific Northwest has seen its fair share of let's say darkness. Unsolved murders and a growing list of people who vanished here have certainly made this region appear a little less pretty. In June twenty sixteen, that list of missing people got just a little bit bigger when a twenty seven year old mother named Jamie Haggard mysteriously disappeared without a trace.
Speaker 5: It just seems very unusual that she's Nobody has heard from her for so long.
Speaker 6: It's not like her at all.
Speaker 1: The last time anyone saw Jamie was on June ninth, twenty sixteen. The next morning, she was scheduled to pick up her boyfriend from jail. He was said to be released on misdemeanor charges. Unfortunately for him, he wouldn't be getting out as early as he thought. He was forced to find another ride home. When Jamie never showed, I fear.
Speaker 7: The most at somebody.
Speaker 8: Hurt her.
Speaker 9: She doesn't deserve that. She has two little girls, friend, she is a failing.
Speaker 1: When word inevitably reached Jamie's friends and family, they started calling and texting her phone, but received no answer. When days turned into a week and they still hadn't heard from her, Jamie's father finally decided to take the short drive over to her home in the town of Kenmore. That was on June seventeenth. Jamie's dad knocked on the front door, but no one answered. When he felt he had waited long enough, he picked up the phone and called the King County Sheriff's Office to report her missing.
Speaker 10: We think it's suspicious for a number of reasons. First, her family says that she usually contacts her mom at least every other day and they have a conversation. Additionally, she hasn't used her cell phone since she's been reported missing.
Speaker 1: What was even more suspicious was that even though Jamie was reported missing in late June, the public wasn't made aware of her disappearance until nearly a month later.
Speaker 11: Now, we asked the sheriff's office why it's taken a month to get this missing person's case out to the public, and they tell us they were hoping that in the meantime she would surface, but without any leaves there now turning to the public for help.
Speaker 1: During an early interview with a local news outlet. Jamie's cousin told reporters that despite their concerns, the family was still hopeful that Jamie would make a safer turn. I really hope that.
Speaker 9: With all this, hopefully we'll get a phone call from her.
Speaker 7: Saying, hey, I'm fine.
Speaker 6: You guys can relax. I hope.
Speaker 1: So when police attempted a welfare check, the home was vacant. What they did notice, though, was a large pile of dirt in the front yard. When authorities walked around the back, they located a massive hole dug in the yard that had been recently filled in. Because they didn't have a warrant, police left any answers. In the days that followed, rumors started to circulate online. Jamie's sister received several messages on Facebook from people who claimed to see Jamie alive walking around downtown Kenmore. After following up on these potential sightings, driving countless hours throughout northern Washington and traveling as far as the Canadian border, her family came up empty handed each time. Unfortunately, as we mentioned earlier, Snohomish County isn't exactly foreign to folks falling off the face of the earth. It's practically the edge, So if you wanted to make someone disappear, this was the place as far as missing persons go. Dating back to the nineteen sixties, the local sheriff's office has faced the daunting task of investigating over sixty five unsolved homicides. To generate leads on such cases, investigators decided to implement a technique that was previously successful over three thousand miles away on the East Coast, which, believe it or not, was a set of playing cards.
Speaker 6: The hope is.
Speaker 4: Too illicit new chips be in the population because, as we know, and they tried to talk about each other's crime, some kind of bag about each other's crime as today playing cards.
Speaker 1: In two thousand and five, a special agent with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement came up with the idea of printing playing cards that showcased all the people that were missing in the Sunshine State. Interesting collectible for my murderatorium. Ooh, can you imagine a sword and scale museum with a murder themed lounge, murder docs playing all day with murder themed drinks, and maybe a murder cafe gift shop. Anybody out there with a lot of money to burn and background in hospitality, hit me up anyway. Ultimately, Nahomish County followed suit years later and created a card game of its own. In two thousand and eight, authorities in Washington State distributed these cards to inmates and local jails and prisons. Anyone who happened to come back with information leading to an arrest or a conviction in these cold cases was promised a one thousand dollars cash reward. A card game that actually makes your money take that vegas. Eventually, the playing card technique was adopted by law enforcement agencies nationwide because it seemed to be working.
Speaker 12: It's a deck of cards that will soon be in every Idaho prison and most county jails. On each card a different cold case, whether it be a wanted person, a missing person, or an unsolved murder.
Speaker 1: The car cards generated an impressive amount of tips throughout the US. This unorthodox marketing gimmick actually worked, and you imagine that it helped resolve three cold cases in Snohomish County alone. Unfortunately, Jamies was not one of them. As creative as the idea was, her face never earned a spot on the deck of cards, which only led her loved ones to question the efforts of local law enforcement. As they often do, authorities kept their cards close to the vest. Sorry for the pun. Jamie's family was rightfully concerned, though she was a nurse who rarely misswork and had two kids who meant the world to her. While the worry and frustration of her loved ones grew day by day, that didn't mean investigators didn't already have a person or persons of interest in the case. You see, long before Jamie went missing, she had her fair share of problems. In addition to having a criminal for a boyfriend, she hung around with some other very let's say, ced characters, and one of those men was a guy named Jason Nolty.
Speaker 9: Can you just say your full name for the recorder?
Speaker 2: Jason Todd Malty, okay, and Jason is okay, and I'm recording this, okay.
Speaker 1: Jason Nolty was good friends with Jamie's half brother David Haggard, with all three living under the same roof. When investigators followed up on Jason, they learned he had just recently gotten out of jail, coincidentally for an incident involving Jamie.
Speaker 9: I mean, I was ben here probably a month. I was introduced from a friend to David. They don't real live or anything. And a couple of weeks have gone by, and did you have asked me for a place to stay just for a little bit? I can fall No. Why did you keep telling him no? Because he's no job. He didn't have nothing, so basically for free please wasn't productive?
Speaker 2: Okay, And.
Speaker 9: He got to he finally got a job. He asked me again. I said, look, I'll help you out for a month. And then you know all they say every month, you know, they pay me no rent. He's here maybe two days, loses his job and I go home from work one day and he's got his girlfriend. Here's his girlfriend, Carly, same one we talked about it.
Speaker 13: Okay.
Speaker 9: A couple days later it was his sister Jamie. You know she's living there. And when was this she started living here? Probably like May? Yeah, I know, May yeah, probably May, I guess.
Speaker 1: Jason tends to mumble and shoot gump, so if you didn't catch that. He told investigators that he was the origin a tenant of the Kenmore home. Then came David, who was down on his luck and allowed to move in temporarily while he got back on his feet. A few months later, David's sister, Jamie, moved in that May. Less than one month after that, Jamie vanished, never to be seen again. From the very start of the interview, police were suspicious of Jason. He'd been arrested for domestic violence several times in the past, which certainly wasn't doing him any favors. Even though he was locked up at the time Jamie went missing, they had a feeling he knew a lot more than he was letting on. According to him, this whole ordeal started in early June when David and Jamie started arguing constantly. One day it was fighting about the roommates stealing from each other, and the next it was disputes over who was supposed to be living there in the first place. While Jason had trouble remembering certain details, he told investigators that days before Jamie went missing, she and David got into a physical altercation in the garage, where David allegedly knocked her unconscious. What a gentleman. The police were never called, but when Jamie came to she left the home and told several of her friends what happened. In the hours that she was away, Jamie texted David, called him a worthless piece of shit, and told him to go fuck himself. Jason claimed that this only infuriated David further, but went on to suggest that someone else might be involved.
Speaker 9: Let me ask you this. You guys know who Scott is, well, I don't know what Scott's last name up? Barnes, Scott Barnes, and why do you bring him up?
Speaker 6: What's your gut?
Speaker 7: Tell you?
Speaker 9: I'm gonna tell me Scott did it. Scott did something to her. Okay, how come you didn't call me with that.
Speaker 7: You've told me that you told you David.
Speaker 9: Did it, well until me and James sat down and talked to him, right, Okay, I don't know. I think I think they both did something. I think they both know something. That's what I think because of the comments that Scott had made to me one night.
Speaker 1: Scott Barnes was another one of Jason and David's piece of shit friends, a criminal and self proclaimed Hell's Angel known to hang out at the ken Moore home. Seems like garbage attracts more garbage. Apparently, Jamie's brother, David told Scott that he wanted to kill her following the incident in the garage, and depending on who you ask, Scott supported the idea. According to Jason, Scott relayed this comment to him, who, in turn told investigators during the police interview. Hours after Jamie was knocked unconscious in her garage, he returned home. When David awoke on the morning of June nath he was enraged. According to Jason, that is not wanting to get involved. Jason said he left the home only to receive a text message from Jamie's phone. A few hours later.
Speaker 9: I got a text message picture message Jamie tied up in the tub, tied up, you know, with a caption says I gotta say I did it. I finally did to say I can't remember. I'm like, but I did what you wanted, or I did I can't remember exactly what It said something I did what you wanted and now look at her, or something was like what this is from Jamie's number? Is from Jamie's phone.
Speaker 1: Investigators chose not to interrupt him during his interview. I mean, after all, when someone's burying themselves, let them do it. And they did notice a potential slip up when he said that the text message read quote I did what you wanted hmm interesting, going by his version of events, After receiving the photo of Jamie tied up in the bathtub, Jason called police. All authorities were en route to the home. David called another friend who answered the phone to hear Jamie's screaming in the background. Meanwhile, David laughed and called his sister a bitch repeatedly, according to what this friend told police, he tried to calm David down and asked if he should come over and help diffuse the situation. David allegedly responded by stating that it wouldn't be necessary and that he had quote never been more focused in his life, whatever the fuck that meant. Minutes later, officers arrived at Jamie's door. When they tried to contact her, she wasn't bound and didn't appear to have any visible injuries. They only spoke with her briefly, but Jamie assured the officers that she was fine, so they left less than an hour later. And that's how it always goes with these sort of situations. It's never just one phone call. Jason arrives back home and the police are called again, this time by David. According to Jason, David knew he had an outstanding warrant for an unrelated twenty fourteen incident in which she allegedly tried to murder his ex girlfriend with a hatchet. Yep, yeah yeah, So naturally, David was pissed that Jason called the cops on him, so to get back at him, he called the police in retaliation, like it's a fucking game. When police arrived for their second visit that day, Jamie was in much worse shape than she was before. She was in hysterics and had fresh marks on her face, neck, and arms. Jamie's injuries were photographed, and pictures were taken of each room of their home. Jason swore up and down that he never put his hands on Jamie, but when police took her aside, she told him that he was the one who had attacked her, not David.
Speaker 9: I don't touch her, you know. So she gave a statement saying you beat her. I guess, I don't know exactly. I was told that they both gave statements that I beat her.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm not a polygraph machine, but clearly someone here is lying. As a result of the bathtub incident, Jason was taken into custody.
Speaker 9: Only the rest of me. I've never seen her again.
Speaker 1: According to another witness, Jamie then left the home in Jason' z accurra and drove to a friend's house, where she spent the night. While there, she called her boyfriend in jail. Now here's where it gets confusing. On the recorded line, Jamie told her boyfriend what happened back at the house, but never mentioned Jason's name. Instead, she said that it was David who punched her in the face. So she told police one thing and then told her boyfriend something else. He said that David had hit her as hard as he could in the stomach and that he'd tried to kill her. Why Jamie provided contradicting statements to police and her boyfriend is unclear, but more than likely she was scared. During the jail house call, her boyfriend pleaded with her not to return to the Kenmore house. When she woke up at a friend's house the next morning, on June ninth, she called her boyfriend again. During that call, she told him she was going anyway and planned to kick David out for good. As for Jason, he wasn't being ruled out just yet. Perhaps his only benefit was that he was locked up hours before Jamie disappeared, and wasn't released until late June. He was also somewhat cooperative with police, and told detectives that David had mentioned his inability to pass a lie detector test. Weird, and Dave told you.
Speaker 7: He wasn't gonna pass a polygraph.
Speaker 1: Told investigators, then asked what was up with the hole in the backyard?
Speaker 7: How much of the backyard was dug out other than that hole?
Speaker 9: Look, okay, I dug.
Speaker 7: If that mountain front you told me about. What do you think about that?
Speaker 9: I have no idea where the dirt came from. He had no machines, and it's crazy. Yeah, I have no idea why why that's that was done? At the same time the bag was filled in.
Speaker 1: Jason elaborated that he dug the hole in an attempt to fix a broken septic, but when he returned home from jail, Jamie was gone and the hole had been filled in.
Speaker 9: Look under Look underneath the shed too, of the shed, looking under the shed too. For some reason, I don't know, has that come up in a conversation? And you know, if I heard something, nothing, But now it's not the time to say, oh nothing, Just right right.
Speaker 7: Might be nothing, but if you heard it doesn't mean that it's true. But you're living here.
Speaker 1: The day he was released, Jason said police were already at the house looking for Jamie. David and his girlfriend were there, who, Jason claimed, stole some rather interesting items that belonged to him.
Speaker 9: Got inside. All my stuff was gone pretty much. I mean I have my TV still, I have my video games.
Speaker 2: But what was missing?
Speaker 9: Okay, by DVR, I have a DVR for my security system. It's gone. All my camera's still there, but my DVR is gone. Have you heard what happened to you? Piss me off? My DVR is gone. All my clothes are gone. A bunch of my child. I mean, I know what he did since I was a jail. He went through my shit, took my shit and sold. Yeah, I made money.
Speaker 1: I am Nearly all of Jason's things were gone, not just his home security system, but his clothes, suitcase, and even his bed sheets were missing. After about an hour of speaking with him, Jason gave authorities consent to search the property. As for David, he had a checkered past of his own. The now forty two year old had been in and out of jail since he was a juvenile. Dating back to nineteen ninety five, David managed to rack up charges including grand theft, auto burglary, and many many more things. David's troubles with the law started to ramp up a year before Jamie disappeared. In twenty fifteen, David was arrested for unlawful possession of two firearms during a traffic stop. He was pulled over for driving a stolen vehicle. When police searched the car, they found a forty four magnum revolver and a pump action shotgun. As a result, he served twelve months in prison and was released around the time he moved into the Kenmore home. With that being said, there was much more evidence authorities had already obtained concerning the potential link between David and his sister Jamie's disappearance, information that investigators weren't willing to reveal until they got a chance to speak with David themselves. In early June of twenty sixteen, twenty seven year old Jamie Haggard mysteriously vanished from her home in Kenmore, Washington, when she failed to pick up her boyfriend from jail on Friday the tenth, phone calls and texts went unanswered. A week later, her father visited the home she shared with several others, but found no trace of Jamie. After reporting her missing on June seventeenth, the police search for a young mother came off as an inconvenience more than a priority to Jamie's loved ones. Days quickly turned to weeks, until nearly a month later, when authorities finally acknowledged her disappearance publicly without the family's knowledge. Investigators had been actively gathering information behind the scenes. An early interview with Jamie's roommate Jason Nolty ultimately painted a dark picture that curiously lacked critical details. Fights, tensions, and violence were just a few of the red flags. Early on, one name came to mind out of the mouths of nearly every person in Jamie's circle, and it made it hard for investigators to ignore it. That name was David Haggard, her own brother. Shortly after his so called friend Jason threw him under the bus, David was brought in for questioning. While he sat across from three detectives in an interrogation room at the King's County Sheriff's Department. He was asked to take a polygraph without a lawyer present. David agreed, but in retrospect, maybe he shouldn't have.
Speaker 2: So I went through my charge. He didn't pass your festiday. Okay, this is what my computer was. So mean that.
Speaker 5: Means probable deception, in the meaning that there's indications that you're not being truthful with us.
Speaker 9: Okay.
Speaker 1: David can be seen in the CCTV footage struggling to comprehend how he failed his polygraph. You could almost see the gears turning in his dumb head. He doesn't appear to be reading the graph on the page in front of him as much as he is thinking of what to say next.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know you do you know her?
Speaker 5: But I know men in your delusion that have been under suspicion due to circumstances.
Speaker 3: We deny and deny and deny, and then but in the in the end, one or the other and doing.
Speaker 2: You know, let's just say it's the legal side of this thing. What's the crime of disposing of woman? That ods gross? Mystermeanors? I don't know.
Speaker 5: So I'm telling you that because I don't want you or anybody else. When we figured out about a no need ath and.
Speaker 2: Gods panicked and got running. The body is she's saying, she did you know something I don't know? I mean she did.
Speaker 3: Well, we do know a lot of things about her eight years because she's the West way that she's no longer with us.
Speaker 1: Now, what would lead authorities to think such a thing. Surely Jamie's home life was extremely toxic, but maybe she just needed some time to cool off and get away from all the drama.
Speaker 7: To be clear, we were still working this case as though she could still be alive. It was a too pronged approach. So one approach was, Okay, if she's deceased, we need to find her remains. If she's alive, we need to find her.
Speaker 1: According to David, the last time he saw Jamie was on June ninth, when she allegedly walked out of their home and got into a car with a Mexican man.
Speaker 2: You're going to go through this, man. I have nothing to do with my sister, nothing to do with her disappearing. That's whatever, man. I love her, Yet I don't know where she's at.
Speaker 9: I don't know where she's at.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the last six months and vistles taking on with going brown people. I don't know the messines that she's been hanging out with. I don't know any of that ship the last two months. I fucking turn her off pretty much. Your house, No, Is your phone at your house? No.
Speaker 1: David, who's obviously racist, claimed to have no idea where Jamie or her phone was. Whether he was telling the truth or not didn't really matter, since the investigators were currently filing subpoenas for the phone records of various individuals, they'd find out soon enough, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: One of the things that we're doing today is we certainly.
Speaker 5: Search for ones on a variety of phone companies, including your phone, the Gene's home, cleaning some other people's homes will The reason I say this thing is going to be.
Speaker 2: Done today in Salt today, So we're going to know where she's at today.
Speaker 5: We have to clear the people around her from suspicion, and you're, unfortunately very just got to clear.
Speaker 1: According to David, he left a short time after Jamie did, but when he came home, he noticed a fire smoldering in a burn pit in their backyard.
Speaker 14: When I got home, there was a fire outside of the Sidergrass store. It was was it was put out. It wasn't told you what I was just smoke home.
Speaker 2: You understand it. That raised SUSPICI in me. I didn't know what that was about.
Speaker 14: I've been thinking about that ever since this fucking investigation started taking out. Other than that, I don't know anything else because it was just just, yes, you guys thinking about that backyard and about why we bury her. You know very well be bury burn there. You know.
Speaker 2: It's just it's just weird. I'm gonna see that. Something I should say to you. Most guys would have was starting to burn file. But yeah, you know you are your burn next to the house. You're your burn next to the house. Are you seeing this is something different? Yeah? Totally. Five guys said he was in.
Speaker 14: It was in that hole that we have for the subject has been messed up, Eric, So we tell out the transplant.
Speaker 2: That's how the whole you aready tore up to begin with. There's a setting was fucked up.
Speaker 14: Sir, Yeah, Sue fucked up, stuck up. So I got there, you know, Like I said, it was just it was weird. Probably showed up right after me and I even say, it's under her, you know, like this was she burning right next the house for it? You know, justcause you know, you know you didn't think, you know, tell whose fire was. I thought it was James thought Jamie that's fire?
Speaker 5: Was that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: The day the last time, well, David admitted to filling the hole. You seem to have trouble answering whether he or Jamie lit the fire. The kind of a weird thing to not remember, huh. The more detectives asked about it, the more upset he became.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you right now, I don't know where my sister is. If I did, I would tell you, I would tell you that she dd in front of me. I would tell you. I don't know. I don't know. Did she had to go fighting with her on the last time you saw her the dough the day before. We were fighting in physical No, not any more than noes that mean, I mean, I mean yeah, I mean it was forgetting. It was just go at first, but I mean I was just getting to the truth of the matter. I mean I was just I was, you know, on to her. But it was nothing.
Speaker 14: There was no fucking violntary. Then the costs came there, I know, the costs checked her out, and I was fucking clear. I didn't do anything to her. Twenty four hours later though, twenty four hours there, she wasn't at home.
Speaker 2: She was gone all night.
Speaker 9: She's gone all night.
Speaker 2: I guess we'll find out when we get the former ends today. Yeah, well she yeah you will, We'll find that out.
Speaker 1: Without being asked, David decides to bring up the bathroom incident himself, where he allegedly attacked Jamie and tied her up in the tub. If you hadn't already guessed, his story was much different than his buddy Jason's. David goes on to tell detectives how his sister tried to kill herself that day before she went missing by swallowing a bunch of pills. Allegedly, the cops.
Speaker 14: Don and at this time, I'm, you know, my sisters, she's in the bout the whole time, I'm thinking that she's taking a bunch of pills. And I know she I don't know what pills she takes, right, I know she gets gnarly fucking stuff, so I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: You know, I went from rage dampethe here.
Speaker 14: And and of course I an't call the cops and sure cal cops with and I get her to fucking throw over if there any of the savorye want to see my feorit bt a little.
Speaker 2: Sisters and buy my finger offtion.
Speaker 15: She's mad at me. You know, I'm thinking, uh, I guess especially she said no, I'll throw up. You know, I was gonna take her to the front in the toower and get her in the shower. I'm on the point of currently and King County sheriffs or the shrifts.
Speaker 2: Are walking up.
Speaker 14: So I go back to the bathroom and at this time, the bathroom door is now open anymore, it's it's partially shut.
Speaker 2: I opened the door. Now here's a girl that was supposed to he took a bunch of pills, was laying in there, entered fully closed.
Speaker 14: At one point the toe was filling up and I had and I realized that the you know, the little stopper that stops the water was up, and you know, I put it down, and you know it slapped her on her arms and not on my watch.
Speaker 2: James, you know you can fucking you better stay with me. You know what the fuck is?
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 14: So when they came in, they said, we got an anonymous call that enoymous person received the text message.
Speaker 2: The only one I said to text message too was Jason backs up my Theeriya.
Speaker 7: They're playing fucking games here, he's playing it.
Speaker 2: He's a manipular here.
Speaker 1: Notice how he doesn't bring up the photo of Jamie tied up in the bathtub, and detectives don't bother to ask. Speaking of suicide, they were curious about a note they'd come across during one of their earlier visits to the home.
Speaker 2: So Mike Honer just texted me this picture of a note that he rapped on the garage through his girlfriend. It's a suicide note in my reading of it, he said.
Speaker 1: The suicide note, made out to David's girlfriend, Carly, was written days before Jamie vanished. Police had already learned that on June sixth, one of his closest friends found him in the garage with a chain wrapped around his neck. Aside from his sister going missing, David had plenty to be depressed about. I mean, by all accounts, his life was pretty much shit. Maybe the suicide note meant nothing, but at the very least it certainly indicated the poor headspace David was in leading up to Jamie's disappearance. Meanwhile, Detective Kathleen Decker and the Major Crimes Unit were already inside the home searching for clues.
Speaker 7: I think he may have put her potentially in the crawl space. We didn't find any evidence of that, but if she was wrapped, we wouldn't have found any evidence of that. We did have two HRD dogs work that property, and both dogs, independent of each other, did have a behavior change at that CROs space point. In the bedroom. We also had a mattress leaning up against the wall there that had some pinpoint drops of blood on it, which may have been what caused the dogs to react the way they did.
Speaker 1: Kathleen Decker was brought on the case early on, originally cutting her teeth as a homicide detective. She later became an expert tracker and processor of outdoor crime scenes.
Speaker 7: That's actually the reason I was brought into the Jamie Haggard case to begin with was because of my familiarity with search and rescue resources and my familiarity with the process, so how you organize and coordinate and get a team together to do a search. And that is why I was asked to participate and help Detective Bartlett, who was the lead detective at the time that that Jamie went missing.
Speaker 1: In her thirty four years plus with the King's County Sheriff's Office, she earned her reputation by helping solve some of Washington's most high profile cold cases. In other words, if anyone was going to find out what happened to Jamie, it was her. After failing to find any substantial evidence inside the ken Moore home, Kathleen directed her team's efforts outside as they prepared to escavate the backyard.
Speaker 2: In fact, that's why we're all out. We're going to be checking out.
Speaker 5: Let's tell you equipment we're going to be doing with the batter dogs we're going to we're going to be covering that base today. And if she is found out there somebody that's explained to do you know you're not under arrest, right, I haven't done anything. Do you understand you're not under arrest? I hope you're right it I wasn't there.
Speaker 2: But in the end, if she's somewhere because she laded, I would assume that it is fun to You've got the message and you need to talk. Does she die under other circumstances, will come out.
Speaker 1: When David asked for a lawyer. Technically that's it interview over, at least it should have been. But he keeps talking, and just like his buddy Jason did, he mentions the name Scott Barnes.
Speaker 5: We got other teams doing other things, but you don't tell me the story about Scott.
Speaker 2: Your suspicions Scott taking her reason because he's like for admitted that he does. Yes, yes he should. I think.
Speaker 1: They were already looking into Scott, but fact that his name came up certainly raised a few eyebrows. Despite what they suggest to David, authorities have no proof that Jamie's debt to make matters worse. The only thing clear was that David, Jason, and Scott were all liars.
Speaker 7: It really was difficult for us as we're trying to push this forward, dealing with people that by nature, line is so normal to them that it just happens. And so a lot of what you hear isn't factual. A lot of it might be lore, a lot of it is rumor speculation. So you have to really sort through all of that to get at what is truth and what is what's factual.
Speaker 1: During this period, bodies turning up left and right across all of northern Washington, and a lot of them were women. After a severed foot was found inside a recycling bin in Seattle, authorities arrived to find even more body parts in the remaining trash backs, including an arm, a leg, another foot, and a woman's head. About a week later, additional remains were discovered in a different trash can nearby.
Speaker 16: We are confident that it is connected to last week's homicide investigation, which was only about three blocks away from where we're standing right now.
Speaker 1: The autopsy suggested that the woman was somewhere in her late twenties to early forties. Eventually she was identified as a local nurse and young mother, but it wasn't who you think in this case.
Speaker 17: Forty year old Ingrid Line was lost, a mother of three, a nurse at Swedish First Hill. She was orted missing Saturday in Renton, almost exactly two months before Jamie vanished. The body parts found inside the trash cans were confirmed to be those of forty year old Ingrid Lynn of Renton, Washington. Luckily, for David, Ingrid's killer, a man she met online, was already in custody. Still, the similarities between Ingrid and Jamie were chilling. If nothing else, it spoke to the dangers women in this area were facing at the time. During David's interrogation, detectives decided to push a little harder. They brought up a few other cases, specifically two women found stuffed inside suitcases the year before Jesus Man.
Speaker 5: Last year we found two fucking people in suitcases because of their friends, panicked, didn't know to fucking do with bodies and flowing the chicks up in suitcases and dumblums cause any you know what I'm saying, just fucking deal it.
Speaker 1: Authorities had no reason to believe these cases were connected, but they did offer their theory on what they thought it happened to Jamie's right.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's really only two scenarios. You know, beat someone as likely that house somebody freaked out.
Speaker 5: And handing the right or h somebody beat the fuck out of her and kill her. Whether that happened to your house or not, I don't know.
Speaker 18: I'm just gonna figure out out, and in the end, I am You're just you're not passing the polygraph, the simplest holograph we could design for a man like you.
Speaker 2: In your position one that you absolutely should pass it. I don't want a lawyer. I don't want to talk about player anymore. Okay, let's talk about you if you want to. You long to be done.
Speaker 1: They didn't have enough to hold them, and after asking for an attorney a second time, the interview was forced to end while heavy machinery dug up the soil at his residence a few miles away. David was ordered to stay away from the Kenmore property for the next several days. Kathleen and her team comb through piles of burnt trash and debris, searching for any shred of evidence that might lead them to Jamie.
Speaker 19: Tonight, King County detectives are continuing to look for a missing Kenmore mother of two. Twenty seven year old Jamie Haggard, disappeared around June eighth, and they are calling it suspicious.
Speaker 1: The Major Crimes Unit worked day and night at the Kenmore home, using their back host to tear up every square inch of earth, but after days of relentless excavation, the only thing they turned up was a pair of burnt construction coveralls reaking of diesel fuel, which efforts.
Speaker 7: Really didn't produce. A whole lot of clues or information that was going to be terribly helpful. The burned clothing was certainly odd at the time that we found it, we didn't know what to make of it, and that diesel smell was interesting, so we just we took those items as evidence because they did not fit. There was no readily explainable reason for them to be there, so we seize those as evidence. We took photographs and just kind of noted it.
Speaker 1: When the scene was finally cleared, David was allowed to move back into the home. As investigators widened their search across both Snah mission King County, tips from the local community started pouring in.
Speaker 7: So we spent a lot of time following up on tips. People who saw someone who looked like Jamie they thought it was Jamie seen at this place. At this time, there were a lot of rumors and amongst the people that she associated with as to what had happened to her. Hey, I heard a rumor that she was cut up in a chipper. Hey I heard a rumor that she was thrown in the river. Hey I heard. So we had to follow up on all of these as best as we could to determine if there was any validity to them. Meanwhile, we're also conducting numerous searches trying to find her if in fact she was deceased.
Speaker 1: Investigators chased down all these leads but found nothing.
Speaker 19: So this week they searched in and all around Arlington after getting several tips that she was spotted there, but detectives say it wasn't her. So they are asking everyone to be on the lookout. And while it's great that a lot of people have been sharing her photos on Facebook, detectives are asking you to call nine to one one or crime stoppers if you have any real information. There's been a whole lot of time tracking down rumors instead of dealing with actual facts and people they can interview now. Last Friday, deputy searched her property, but they came up empty, even using a back hoe to sift through the piles of trash in the backyard of the home and are recently filled in whole as well.
Speaker 1: When the phone records finally came back, authorities learning that on June ninth, twenty sixteen, at one h five pm, David's girlfriend received a text from Jamie. It was aggressive, demanding that David leave the house before the weekend was over and that it better be clean before he was gone. The tone was completely out of character for Jamie and even stranger. The text misspelled David's girlfriend's name. When authorities brought David's girlfriend in for questioning, she revealed that at around eight forty five on the morning of June ninth, Jamie walked through the door of the Kenmore home and confronted her and David. According to her statements to police, Jamie's creamed at David told him things were going to be different than that he should either get out of her way or quote get on down the road. David's girlfriend also explained that she left the home a short time later to drive her child to school, leaving Jamie and David alone in the house and piecing together their timeline, investigators also learned that Jamie called her boyfriend in jail at nine thirty two am that same morning. The call lasted roughly fifteen minutes, where Jamie was heard finalizing her plans to pick him up the following afternoon. That was the last time he heard from her. From the time she spoke with her boyfriend to the time David's girlfriend received the text message, there's over three and a half hours of radio silence from Jamie's end. When David's girlfriend returned to the home at around one thirty pm, Jamie was gone and David was in the backyard.
Speaker 7: We received information from David's girlfriend, Carly, that she had come home and found David out in the back burning something or doing something with fire in the area where we had found those burn clothes, so that kind of fit. We still didn't really know what that meant, and today I don't even really know what that was all about. But I believe it is important, it's related, it's relevant. I just don't know how it fits in the puzzle.
Speaker 1: When David's girlfriend approached him by the burn pit, she told police that he said Jamie started the fire right before she walked out the door and left with the unidentified Mexican man. David's story would later change all together by allegedly telling other witnesses that there was no Mexican man, and instead Jamie walked off on foot on Jude ninth, never to be seen again.
Speaker 7: There was some inconsistent statements that David had made about when he had last seen Jamie. He just seemed to be a little bit of all over the place, and it was really David's just inability to keep his story straight that caused David the most problems.
Speaker 1: As for the fire, this wasn't something Jamie was known to do let alone in the middle of the day. Something else that stuck out as strange to David's girlfriend were the items Jamie left behind.
Speaker 7: He had left behind some personal effects that most people went leave behind her. It was like a purse. There was a phone, her prescription medications, those kinds of things. It just seemed odd that she would not be coming back for those items, and so that peaked our interest.
Speaker 1: David's girlfriend recalled seeing Jamie's phone on the kitchen counter, but by the time police finally searched the home, it was no longer there. Weeks later, on June twenty third, Jamie's sister also received a strange message. The person on the other end claimed to be Jamie, stating that she was fine and just needed some time to figure things out. But the message wasn't sent from Jamie's phone. Instead, it came from Jason Nolty's device. It was still behind bars. Weird. Jamie's sister wanted to believe it was her, while her family continued searching. Jamie's father posted videos to his Facebook daily pleading with his daughter to come home.
Speaker 9: Send here to the.
Speaker 13: Desk, drinking a little glass whiskey, had a nice dinner, missus, Jamie. I love you.
Speaker 1: The clip shows Jamie's father watching an old Western with the caption that reads doors Unlocked Jamie Honey. Unbeknownst to Jamie's loved ones in the general public, evidence was still surfacing, most of which pointed to none other than David. A friend of his girlfriend eventually came forward and told investigators that on June ninth or tenth, she witnessed David at a car wash in a nearby town of Woodinville, driving Jason nolt Zakura and with him in the car was his buddy Scott Barnes. Meanwhile, Jamie's father continued to show up for his daughter, holding her missing person's flyer up for the local media cameras whenever he had a chance.
Speaker 13: I will find you, Jamie. I love you.
Speaker 9: That is coming and I'll never stop.
Speaker 1: Weeks turned into months, headlines of Jamie's disappearance became few and far back between, the public interest in Jamie's case inevitably dwindled and was soon overshadowed by the hot new whatever it is in the news, probably some local broadcaster bitching about Trump anyway. Roughly one year after she was last seen, authorities were able to secure a second warrant to search Jamie's property, and in May of twenty seventeen, the yard at the Kenmore home was dug up once again. This time they focused on a few areas left untouched during the initial search, a narrow patch of dirt near the back fence. Shovels hit earth. Cadaver dog circled the perimeter while a back hoe tore into the ground. Then a hard clunk, the machine jolts to a stop, and investigators exchanged glances. The operator stepped down to join Kathleen and her crew standing at the edge of what's buried beneath the surface. Jamie Haggard's disappearance in June twenty sixteen left more questions than answers. When she failed to pick up her boyfriend from jail, her family knew something was wrong. Investigator zeroed in on three men, Jamie's roommate Jason, who was known to be violent towards women, a local biker named Scott, and Jamie's half brother David. All three had been on law enforcement's radar long before Jamie vanished. All their stories were filled with bigger holes than there were in the backyard, the only common thread being their willingness to point the finger at each other. There's no honor amongst thieves, they say, burn pits and ditches. Dug for a do it yourself sewage repairer quickly became the focus of the search. All that was found was a pair of men's coveralls, burnt and reeking of diesel. When the excavator's buckets struck something. During their second search, they found nothing but planks of wood and an old TV buried in the dirt. Who the hell burries a TV in the dirt? The fuck is wrong with these people?
Speaker 20: Who hopes that maybe they would find her somewhere in there and that didn't happen.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Jason Nolty, Scott Barnes, and David Haggard remained suspects, but without a body, law enforcement's hands were tied, so.
Speaker 7: We would constantly offer up opportunities for David to meet with us, to have conversations, to have phone calls. Sometimes he would engage at other times he would not.
Speaker 1: For nearly two years, the investigation went nowhere except in circles, and the case lingered in limbo. That is, until one Sunday morning in May of twenty eighteen. It was the morning of May ninth, and along the desolate stretch of road that makes up Route five twenty two, a team of four city workers had just started their normal trash cleanup along the interstate in Stahomish County, Washington. After hopping out of their van, the group starts jabbing at the earth with their litter pickers and grabbing claws to gather fast food wrappers, another debris strewn across the freeway. What are these assholes that tossed their burger wrappers out the window? Seriously get some fucking manners anyway. After making their way south through the shoulder of downs road, the workers eventually spread apart to cover more ground. As one man makes his way to a nearby field, he notices a small carry on suitcase resting in a patch of overgrown grass at around seven fifteen am. After hauling a few discarded tires nearby, he reaches down to pick it up, and to his surprise, it's heavier than he expects. Still, he manages to drag it roughly ten feet to the roadside and leaves it by the guard rail.
Speaker 8: It wasn't put in a billion I just left it out there. I don't want to touch it, no particular reason. I just didn't carry it on.
Speaker 1: After about two more hours of cleaning, the crew hurl what they think are the last bits of trash bags into the trailer. By now a few of the crew members had already gotten back into the van ready to head to their next location, but before they did, the man remembers he'd forgotten one last piece, that old suitcase.
Speaker 8: I noticed the luggage was pretty heavy, and I had my picker, little picker, and I kind of disturbed it, and as.
Speaker 2: I picked it up, it just ripped the part.
Speaker 8: It just clicked into my head that something was wrong there because of the amount of work that was involved into packaging or whatever.
Speaker 2: It was in there. I immediately got on my radio and.
Speaker 8: Contacted my lead driver and I said to her, I really hope this is now what I think it is, but I think this is a body of side of this. She goes, you gotta be kidding me.
Speaker 1: After radioing his supervisor. The man crouches down to the bag again, and his curiosity gets the better of him.
Speaker 2: I opened it up, and I saw the hair, and I said, go a prep something smiles in there.
Speaker 8: I ripped it apart, just to see, you know, hoping to see a carcase of a deer or something, possibly a dog. And I opened it some more and we left it alone and called the sheriff department.
Speaker 1: After nearly vomiting from the stench, the worker runs to the van, where he joins the rest of the crew while they wait for the police to arrive. Within minutes, the area was swarmed with Sheriff's deputies. Once the perimeter was secured, they made their way towards a suitcase and started peeling back the layers. The first was a black trash bag with a distinct blue plastic tie. Inside it was commercial grade construction wrap, and final layer was a burnt red bed sheet partially stained with blood. It's at this point that authorities know this is no dead dog. Instead, they're looking at a pile of human bones inside the back.
Speaker 7: At the point that I learned about this, I just knew it was Jamie. I just knew it was her.
Speaker 1: Whoever this person was. It was obvious they'd been out there for a while, but preliminarily making an identification seems impossible, not only because they'd been subjected to the elements for what appeared to be months, if not years, but the skull and other various body parts were missing.
Speaker 7: I believe that there were parts of her hands and feet that were missing. She had been dismembered, she had been burned. There may have been some disarticulation that occurred to just naturally from the decomposition process.
Speaker 1: Also in the suitcase, where several pieces of melted hard plastic along with a necklace attached to a small round pendant. Once the remains were transported to the medical examiner's office, the autopsy results didn't yield much information aside from what investigators already knew. Only from a partial pelvic bone were they able to eventually determine the gender. While the female Jane Doe had an age range of twenty four to forty four years old, it was still a great deal of work to.
Speaker 7: Be done, so we basically had to peel back everything and look at every single thing that we could determine if it had any forensic value. Could we get anything from any of this Fingerprints were going to be out because of kind of how it was all compressed, and it was just a mucky mess. We talked about DNA extraction. There was human hair, Could we get DNA from the hare? So we had discussions about that. It was the site of the best opportunity for DNA is going to be just bone extraction from the femur that was in the suitcase, which is what we ultimately ended up doing.
Speaker 1: DNA testing would take several more weeks. While waiting for the results, Kathleen Decker revisited the evidence locker several times. After laying out the burnt items on a stainless steel table, she placed a series of photographs next to them, searching for any clue that she may have missed. In one police photo taken during the domestic incident the day before Jamie vanished, she's seen wearing a pendant necklace. In another taken inside Jason's room, were red bed sheets seen covering his mattress. After comparing the images to the items found in the suitcase, they appeared to be a match, but because they were so damaged, investigators had no way to be sure. In cases like this, DNA is everything, and the bone fragment analysis was their last hope. When the results were finally returned, they confirmed the grim truth. Jamie did leave her home, but only after she was murdered, dismembered, considerated, stuffed in a suitcase, and left to rot by the interstate who details today we learned the remains of a missing mother identified yesterday were found inside a suitcase. When Jamie's remains were positively identified in July of twenty eighteen, you would think that's it case closed. Authorities had their suspects, surely they had enough to charge at least one of them with murder. Right, Well, not really. Even though Jamie he was the confirmed victim of a brutal homicide, investigators still had a pretty hefty burden of proof to overcome. Luckily, for Jason Noulty, he was behind bars at the time Jamie was last seen, But did he help facilitate a plot to kill her before he was locked up.
Speaker 7: We told Jason right from the get go that the best thing that ever happened to him was the fact that he went to jail for a crime he didn't commit. On June twenty sixteen, because He literally was physically incapable of having killed Jamie. He was in jail.
Speaker 1: Okay, fine, But what about Scott Barnes, the Hell's Angel, the one everyone keeps mentioning Allegedly he was in favor of getting rid of Jamie before he and David were seen scrubbing down the Accura at the car wash. Were all three guilty or did David act alone Scott Barnes?
Speaker 7: Yeah, he was definitely a character to be concerned with, in part because David was saying, hey, Scott did it. Well, okay, that's great, but we need a little bit more information. Why do you say that, you know, give us something besides the fact that Scott's a bad dude that is crazy violent. You know, I need more than that. So we were always open to that being a possibility, and we had to try to eliminate Scott as best we could. And the only way you can really do that is through interviews, you know, potentially polygraphs, those kinds of things, and evidence. I mean, is there any physical evidence to link Scott Barnes to Jamie's murder? And there there really wasn't that. You know, everything kept coming back to David and the Ken Moore House.
Speaker 1: Something else investigators were forced to consider were the ongoing statements from Jamie's own family, her sister in particular, outwardly to belief that David had nothing to do with it. Sure, he had a long rap sheet and short views, but so did all his friends. He and Jamie also had repeated arguments and sometimes physical altercations about their living situation, But according to the victim's sister, that didn't mean that he killed Jamie. In her eyes, David was a good man and a good brother, despite his troubled past. Let's face it, no one wants to believe that a family member could kill one of their own. Denial is more than just a river in Egypt. It's one hell of a drug. But despite the incriminating text messages, the red bed sheets, the fires and all the other stuff, all this evidence was circumstantial. Unfortunately, when someone turns up dead, it doesn't matter what you think you know. What matters is what you can prove in court. If this case was ever going to be solved, investigators had to get creative, not by playing a missing person's card game, but by finding something concrete, something substantial. They had to fight fire with fire.
Speaker 20: This is a horrible case. I mean, Jamie was very tragic. She had two daughters, and you know, as a family that cares a lot about her, So something like this is heartbreaking and you know, to get a little bit of closure to find at least her remains. But we still have a lot of work to do because we still need to find out who's responsible for this.
Speaker 1: Unable to charge David with murder, investigators started looking at some of the other crimes he was suspected of committing. About four months before Jamie went missing, on February of twenty sixteen, he allegedly broke into a mobile home in the town of Duval that stole a refrigerator in other appliances. Later that same day, he returned to the mobile home, crawled underneath the trailer, and let two cushions on fire, causing it to burned to the ground. Then, just days before Jamie vanished, David was suspected of another fire. On June fifth, he allegedly broke into a construction yard where he and Jamie's father worked in the nearby town of Woodenville. According to Jamie's father, David had easy access to heavy machinery there, but also materials like commercial grade construction wrap for example, you know the kind that Jamie's body was found in in the suitcase. During this incident, he allegedly used a one hundred and forty thousand dollars forklift to steal a commercial welder by loading it on the back of his truck. He then proceeded to dump gasoline into the forklift's cab before setting it a blaze. Ultimately, David's girlfriend and his roommate Jason, both rotted him out to police, claiming David bragged to them about the fires, but he was never charged in Washington. Imagine that. Not long after Jamie's remains were identified, investigators received another tip, this time from David's uncle. According to him, the same day Jamie went missing, David called him and said he was hiding out in an abandoned barn. When investigators revisited the area where Jamie's remains were found, they noticed a dilapidated barn less than one hundred yards away. After combing through the abandoned structure, they found another burnt site, a melted gas canister, and a black trash bag with blue plastic ties consistent with the one they found in the suitcase. These were all pieces of a much larger puzzle, but so much time had already passed. The longer investigators waited, the more time David and his friends had to potentially destroy more evidence. Not willing to let that happen, Kathleen Decker submitted her probable cause affid David, and in October of twenty eighteen, David was arrested for arson. Roughly one year later, right before he was set to be released, his charges were upgraded to second degree murder.
Speaker 6: Today, prosecutors charged Jamie's older brother, David, with her murder. They say the siblings, who lived together, had a history of violence. Twice police dug up the yard at the home they shared searching for clues. After her disappearance, Friends and roommates say David threatened to kill Jamie and beat her up repeatedly, at one point hitting her hard enough to knock her out.
Speaker 1: It took roughly three years to charge Jamie's half brother with murder, but a charge doesn't always mean a conviction. In the meantime, authorities were forced to explain why the hell their investigation took so long.
Speaker 20: All the witnesses were very suspicious of David, but we had to get to a point where we actually had problem cause to make to feel that he was actually responsible for the murder.
Speaker 1: Although a trial date had been set and David was behind bars, investigators were far from finished building their case. Over a year later, in December of twenty nineteen, Kathleen Decker made one last visit to the evidence locker. She wasn't interested in bed sheets. Instead, she wanted another look at the burnt plastic fragments found in the suitcase. Early on, investigators suspected that these may have been pieces of a cell phone, but it was so badly damaged they assumed it was useless. That's when Kathleen spotted something. A tiny section of what looked like a melted motherboard fused into a piece of shrapnel.
Speaker 7: So we were steinied for a little bit of time until we were able to identify someone through the fbi I that was able to provide us that ability, and we were really happy when we heard that there was someone out there in the world that could potentially do something with this, and that was huge when that happened.
Speaker 1: Roughly three years after Jamie's disappearance, the destroyed plastic was finally set to the forensic experts at Quantico, Virginia. Even the technicians working for the FBI characterized this as one of the most damaged phones they'd ever seen. Somehow, after months of trying, they successfully extracted some data. In April twenty nineteen, the recovered contents were handed back to investigators in Washington with confirmation that it was in fact Jamie's phone, and buried within a cash of binary code was a voice memo, but it wasn't Jamie. Instead, a voice recorded on her device was a man's later determined to be her half brother, David. Not only that, but the voice memo was an exact replica of the text message sent to David's girlfriend from Jamie's device on June ninth, but instead it was an audio form. The timestamps were also a match. Investigators theorized that David must have used the speech to text function to compose the message and accidentally saved an audio version while pretending to be Jamie, who by that point was already dead. A selfie was also recovered from the device. It was a photo of David with his eyes wide, pupils dilated, and sweat dripping from his forehead. Investigator's reference wooden beams in the background of the image, verifying that the photo was taken inside the Kenmore home, possibly minutes after Jamie was killed. The data recovered from Jamie's phone, combined with all the other evidence that took years to piece together, finally gave prosecutors the confidence to bring their case to court. At his trial in September of twenty twenty two, the state laid out the brutal details of Jamie's death, how she was likely beaten, dismembered, burned, stuffed into a suitcase, and dumped on the side of the road. Forensic analysis linked the red bed sheets from the suitcase to Jason Nolty's bed. Witness testimony placed David at the car wash scrubbing down the Acura following Jamie's disappearance. Text messages and recovered voice memos captured David's voice. All of this was crucial in court. Despite all the evidence, there was no smoking gun, there was no murder weapon. Still, Kathleen Decker, who had worked for years on this case, was confident that the jury would make the right decision.
Speaker 7: I felt really solid about this case, and I trusted that our justice system was going to work. I trusted that the jury was going to hear the facts that they needed to hear to come to the right conclusion. So I didn't feel like he was going to get away with it.
Speaker 2: I don't know why.
Speaker 7: I just felt like, No, we did our job. We worked really hard. This is going to come out the way it's supposed to come out.
Speaker 1: Her intuition was right, and after weeks of testimony, David Haggard was found guilty of second degree murder. Head of sentencing, Jamie's family members provided victim impact statements. Her sister, who wanted desperately to believe David all along, expressed how Jamie's children would not only grow up without a mother, but without their uncle as well.
Speaker 21: You might not think that this is fair, but it's not fair for Maddie and Dilley either. They missed their mom. They don't even remember the things I remember. It's not fair that my kids don't grow up get to grow up with their aunt Jamie or their uncle Davy. It's not fair their choices, these choices to our whole family apart.
Speaker 1: Oh, did you think this case was going to be wrapped up neatly? What do you think this is forensic files. Forty eight year old David was later sentenced to fifteen years in prison, the punishment that Jamie's family said would never truly bring them closure. Jamie Haggard's case was filled with dead ends and frustrating false life. It took over six years to go to trial, but that doesn't mean everyone involved face consequences. Despite their proximity to this case, Jason Maulty and Scott Barnes were never charged with a crime. Justice is a real elusive bitch. Sometimes justice is like that ex that dumped you after saying she loved you and then ghosts you, and that's it. There's nothing else you can do.
Speaker 9: Yep.
Speaker 1: Justice is a real cut Now, that doesn't.
Speaker 7: Mean that there isn't out there someone else who had involvement. I'm not gonna say that David is solely involved and responsible. It's possible there might be others out there. We were never able to make a case strong enough to charge anyone else, and of course David was never able to give us any information beyond well, Scott did it, okay, Well, why are you saying, give me something I can work with, something that's tangible. And he never was able to do that.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 7: There's definitely more to the story than what we know. There's other chapters that we haven't yet addressed or figured out. And let me also say, to this day, and we don't know where her head is. Her head was not in the suitcase, so that is somewhere out there. I hope and pray that at some point and someday we will have that recovered. Is it's important for the family to have all of her back and maybe at some point we'll we'll get that.
Speaker 1: Before we let Kathleen go, we wanted to know what she thought happened that Jamie. Her personal theory never reached the media, nor was it present in court, but in terms of motive, it might just be even more disgusting than the murder and dismemberment itself.
Speaker 4: So we had.
Speaker 7: Information from one of Jamie's friends that Jamie had been raped by David, and we knew David had raped Carly before she disclosed that to us. So we had reason to believe that Jamie and David had an incestuous relationship and that that had been going on for several years. He was very jealous of her, jealous of any boyfriends that she had, which is why I think that argument probably happened on the ninth. There's no doubt that there is that relationship going on between the two of them.
Speaker 1: Bet you didn't see that one coming. Forensic files, eat your heart out.
Speaker 7: So I think probably what happened is that David and Jamie got into another argument. We know she'd been on the phone with her boyfriend who was in jail due to get out, and that she was supposed to pick him up, that she was going to move him into the Kenmore house. So I think that David may have sexually assaulted Jamie. I think that during that that he strangled her. I think that after he ended up killing her, he may have panicked a little bit because he would have known that Carly was due home. Carly had left that morning to drop off her child at school, because it was eight thirty ish in the morning, and Carly was due back home noon ish, and Carly was delayed coming home because she had stopped at a store on the way home. So I think what he did at that point was somehow wrapped the body up in the sheet that he got off of Jason's bed. I think cutting her up was probably just ease of transport. That's typically why we see somebody utilize this memberment. It just makes it easier for transportation. So I think that's probably why he did that put her in the suitcase. I think the suitcase came from the house there in ken Moore. And would it surprise me to learn later on that Scott had not only knowledge, but participated in some way, shape or form before the fact, or in the factor after the fact. No, it wouldn't. I don't know if we ever will get to that point. But that's still another mystery.
Speaker 1: Jesus Christ, how's that for an ending violent offenders? Habitual lies and incest of all things, or just a few of the potential factors that make Jamie's murder a mysterious one almost nine years later? These back road country white folk or something else, I'll tell you. I mean, I do love cracker Barrel, But damn, like Kathleen said, we might never actually find out what really happened to Jamie that day. Still you have to wonder did justice really prevail?
Speaker 5: There?
Speaker 1: Is this case just another reminder that some people are better at getting away with murder than others. Either way, it sure does make you look at this case a little differently when you remember what David.
Speaker 2: Said, I have nothing to do.
Speaker 1: Yet, ew ew ew gross. Well that's gonna do it. I gotta go watch some cartoons. This episode was written and produced by Mike Dunfie. If you like what we do here, be sure to check out Swordscale Television at swordscale dot com.
Speaker 2: The closed the Fauna