Speaker 1: Hello everybody, and welcome to a brand new episode of Second Take Cinema, coming at you from the Glorious Impala Film's headquarters in sunny South End on Sea. I am your host, Jamie Evans, joined as per usual by mister Rory Jocelyn. That's me, and today we are giving a second take to one of the most successful independent movies of all time. Light your campfires, prepare your s'mores or whatever campfire based snack you prefer, as we give a second take to The Blair Witch Project. The Blair Witch Project is a nineteen ninety nine American psychological horror movie, written, directed and edited by Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sanchez, starring Heather Donahue, Michael C. Williams, and Joshua Leonard. This film had a total budget at the end of everything of about two hundred thousand dollars. However, the actual production budget, I have always heard and my research seems to indicate, was actually more in the thirty thousand dollar range. Oh really, I thought it was fifteen I thought it was, but my most recent researcher said thirty thousand, which, if that doesn't just send you a message that even this movie that has no crew except for two directors and three actors, still cost thirty grand just to film it, so in total, it had a budget of two hundred thousand dollars and grossed a whopping two hundred and forty eight point six million dollars at the box office.
Speaker 2: That was a record at the time, wasn't it in terms of profitability?
Speaker 1: Yes, it was the most successful independent film of all time until it was dethroned by Paranormal Activity, which I believe was made for only fifteen thousand right. The Blear Witch Project drew a claim from critics, with the review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes giving the film a score of eighty six percent based one hundred and sixty five reviews from critics. The website's consensus reads full of creepy, campfire scares, mock doc The Blair Witch Project keeps audiences in the dark about its titular villain, proving once more that imagination can be as scary as anything on screen. The Blair Witch Project's found footage technique received near universal praise, although this was not the first film to use it. The independent film was declared a milestone in film history due to its critical and box office success. Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun Times gave the film four stars and called it an extraordinarily effective horror movie. Peter Travers of Rolling Stone called it a groundbreaker in fright that reinvents scary for the new millennium. And Todd McCarthy of Variety, Oh.
Speaker 2: That's certainly proven true. Look how many movies are like this now? None of them?
Speaker 1: And Todd McCarthy of Variety said, an intensely imaginative piece of conceptual filmmaking that also delivers the goods As a dread drenched horror movie, The Blair Witch Project puts a clever modern twist on the universal fear of the dark and things that go bump in the night. However, some critics were less enthusiastic, with Andrew Saris of The New York Observer deeming it overrated as well as a rendition of the ultimate triumph of the sun Dance scam, make a heartless home movie, get enough critics to blurb in near unisons scary and watch the sucker's flock to be fleeced. A critic from the Christian Science Monitor, I'm.
Speaker 2: Glad we're going for the real Real Good Film Journals.
Speaker 1: A critic from the Christian Science Monitor, said that while the film's concept and scares were innovative, he felt it could have been shot as a thirty minute short, since its shaky camera work and fuzzy images get monotonous after a while, and there's not much room for character development within the very limited plot. R. L. Schaefer of IGN scored it two out of ten and described it as boring, really boring, and a Z grade low rent horror outing with no real scares into a genuine big budget spectacle. So, as always, we'll start this by talking about when we first saw the film and gave our first take to the film. I saw this one relatively early on when I was first getting into horror movies. Yeah, I could only have been thirteen or fourteen when I saw this, and I got it on DVD, And interestingly enough, I actually got a new experience watching it this time because my original DVD copy was actually in.
Speaker 2: The wrong aspect ratio, so widescreen. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So when I first put this on, I was like, why is it a tiny box in the middle of my screen? What's going on here? I did a little bit of research and it turns out that the original DVD pressings of this film, the film was artificially blown up in post yes to fit the full screen.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So this would have been filmed on camcord is in ninety seven, so they would have all been standard deaf they would have been there probably would not have been digital either.
Speaker 1: No, it was a herd. They used two cameras. One was a high eight yeap and the other was a sixteen millimeter.
Speaker 2: Right, okay, so sixteen millimeter film, so that's that. To be fair, that accounts for a decent filmic, grainy look. The high eight would have been a essentially looked like a videotape, miniature videotape and again not not great in cinematic levels, but for what they were going for, absolutely makes sense. Yeah, because of that, because of the era, because it was pre two thousand, it would not have been widescreen.
Speaker 1: No, whereas this was a new DVD because my actual old DVD I had to get rid of it got disc rot. Oh okay, I think that's what it's called. There's just like a blemish in the middle of the disc.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's basically where it's not been sealed properly. Oxygen gets in and decays the data, right, Yeah, there's a coating on the underside of all of you discs.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so this was interesting because I got to see it in its original aspect ratio for the first time. Yeah, which was interesting, a little bit of getting used to. But when I did, it had a little charm to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But no, I saw the film when I was about fourteen, still young enough and still early enough in the internet age that I'm not sure I ever fully bought into the hype it being true. Yeah, I remember distinctly.
Speaker 2: It was more towards the late nineties at that because by the time of the early two thousands it was well known that it was certainly by the time they made a sequel. Yeah, and you're like, fuck off that it's.
Speaker 1: Not really the thing. I remember thinking when I watched it the first time. I've got a load of friends who were older than me who insisted it was real. They were like, yeah, they actually found these tapes out in the woods. And I remember watching it and the whole time there was a little bit of me. There was part of me going yeah, yeah, this is real. But there was always this little voice in the back of my head going, even at fourteen, going, if this was real, it wouldn't have come out in a cinema because this would be police evidence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it would be.
Speaker 1: In lock up somewhere. Then I did watch because on my DVD it also had for anyone who doesn't know, although I don't know anyone who doesn't know. At this point this film had that extra budget they got given for marketing, they actually mostly spent it making fake documentaries that further blurred the line as to whether this was real or not. And those were on the DVD and I remember watching them and they were from the History Channel, and being young and naive and History Channel hadn't completely ruined its credibility at that point, I was like, yeah, exactly with ancient aliens. I remember watching these documentaries and being like, oh shit, no.
Speaker 2: It must be true.
Speaker 1: The channels covering it, or at least the witch must exist, Like maybe these kids didn't go missing, but the legend of the Blair Witch must be a real legend. It's not. It's completely invented for this film.
Speaker 2: Nice it is done well with that, because that's gone into the horror lexicon, hasn't it. Yeah, So they did a good job been setting up establishing a franchise. I just don't think it's one They could actually sequalize him, though they tried to.
Speaker 1: No, and I did as part of the build up for this episode doing my job properly, I actually tracked down and watched all of those documentaries again. Okay, so I got to relive them a little bit, which was cool. Okay, how about you do you remember the first time? Oh? And I will just say as well, I actually watched this in a tent at night. Not this time, but when I watched it eight years and years and years ago. I watched it in a tent at night.
Speaker 2: See that changed the circumstance a little bit.
Speaker 1: It adds to it a little bit. Yeah, it does add to it a little bit. Yeah. Do you remember the first time you saw it?
Speaker 2: I have seen it before. I actually can't remember when. It would have been over ten years ago, easily. It was a long long time ago, and it was out of curiosity. I can't remember if someone showed it to me or if it was just out of curiosity. At some point I came across watching this film and I thought, you know what, I'll give it a try, and I watched it all the way through. To be fair, it didn't work for me. Why I didn't work for me It is similar to yourself when you were fourteen. Logically it can't be real, and unfortunately, once I hit that level, it doesn't work. I remember when I was in university doing theater plays. There was a we went and saw a horror play in London and there were it was really creepy, like the lights were off and they had like all these people who were able to like hang upside down and just move really quickly. It was called Tropicana the play, and you'd get like it would you get all this strobe lighting and you just see women walking at you and then just disappearing before they get to you, and they must have just had some epic speed getting themselves back onto the roof and things like that. Fantastic bit of work. All the girls I was with absolutely petrified. I wasn't at all scared because the reason was it's not me being who and I fucking are bad, not that at all. Literally, it was just a case of well off paid to see a performance. They're not allowed to touch me by law, And knowing that that was the law meant that anyone who comes straight at me, if they so much as touched me, I could go rup sing like and they're not gonna murder me. I'm not gonna They're not gonna charge me ten pounds or whatever for entrance fee to then murder me.
Speaker 1: Now theater in London only ten pounds that were.
Speaker 2: Back in Dame. I'm lying it probably was to be fair. I went with the university, so that I think it might have been ten pounds, but it was probably subsidized. And also I remember that that was not the final like that that performance it was like a pre yes, So basically they get an idea of whether or not it works without running the risk of an actual audience, I suppose. But yeah, so things like that. So by the point I'd watched it, I was beyond done with Blair witch as could it be real sort of thing. I hated it when I first watched it. I hate it now, and I'm not going to be mean because I acknowledged that essentially the reasons I hate it are the reasons it works. So it's not that the film does the things wrong. Actually it does the things very right. There's a couple of things that are a bit questionable, but generally the film does everything right. Really dodgy looking camera footage, horrible shaky cam like up the wazoo, the worst you've probably seen in films, except for maybe that shit quant a Solace, which is even worse. Yeah, egregious wobblycam, horrible visual looks. The sound is not properly balanced. There's bits where it's too quiet, there's bits where it's too loud. It's bits where the sound doesn't really work properly. But all of that adds to the atmosphere that this film generates as being a deep not deep being a being a found footage film, because if you were walking around with a handicam, your audio is only all on board cam. It's not going to be super clear all the time. Certainly if you're filming people at a distance. Certainly if you're filming them inside moving cars in the middle of a wood, the footage is going to be grainy as you walk uping down with it. Because this was before we had those gyroscope handicam balancing things that we have now. Yeah, they save a lot in this sort of a in this sort of vibe. Because yeah, but this for me, I had to watch this in fifteen to twenty minute bursts. I had to keep stopping it because I was getting migraines. It's that bad. So everything it does it does right. I just hate all of those things, and I could not. I would be so pissed off if I'd spent like twelve quid for a cinema ticket. And that's what I saw, was that unprofessional bollocks.
Speaker 1: Would you not have known from the trailers though, that that's what it is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I suppose so. And that's that's essentially why I never watched it until I had the opportunity to see it for free somehow, because again, all of the things that it does, it does really well, it does really cleverly. And I don't want to spend the whole time ripping on this film because it's not actually fair because again, as I say, the things I despise in this film are things it does for the right reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're kind of the point of the film. Time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm just going to acknowledge now you're not going to hear high praise from me for this film. But I didn't want to spend the entire review being a Debbie Downer. And going, well, shit, all this shitrov. I wanted to basically get it out there. I hate this film, but I'm going to review it analytically, and I'm going to talk about the reasons it does what it does, rather than whether or not I like that. I'll just get it out of the way. Don't like it. I don't remember the exact time, but I remember dreading watching this film when you brought it up, right, this is one of the few films where you've gone, oh, well, let's try this one. I'm like, oh, fuck off, because literally, I just I knew i'd get ahead, and I did. I got a migraine.
Speaker 1: That's really surprising because I was surprised. I don't get that with this. Yeah, but I'm really prone to motion sickness.
Speaker 2: Yeah I'm not really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get motion sickness in cars all the time.
Speaker 2: I do if i'm watching something.
Speaker 1: To my surprise, I still really like this film, Okay, And I was not expected because my thing with Bleir, which I don't watch it regularly.
Speaker 2: Now it's project I don't think you could.
Speaker 1: No, And I always thought I always thought it wouldn't work as a second take at all. I always thought, you know, it's one where it's had done. Yeah, once you've seen it and you know that you never see anything in it, it's kind of over, you know, you know how it ends.
Speaker 2: You're not going to get a surprise watching it a second time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And don't get me wrong, I will say nothing has ever topped my first viewing of it. I think because I was young, because the Internet hadn't taken off in the way it is yet, because there was still some doubt as to where like at that age, there is still some doubt as to well, maybe maybe it's real, Whereas there's not a question in my mind or anyone's mind now because we know it's not real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we know that the actors aren't dead because they've come out, they've spoken about in various interviews, et cetera.
Speaker 1: They're trying to sue, aren't they, because they're claiming they never got paid fairly for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm not sure what the truth is on that, because they would have agreed to a certain price. But I think it's because because it is their names, and because essentially the filmmaker's got a lot of money once it was a success and they didn't.
Speaker 1: I actually don't think the filmmakers did either. I listened to an interview with the filmmakers. I think the distribution company screwed them right, so they got the bulk of the money right. Because the two directors have gone on to do other stuff, but never high budget, they didn't get offered high budgets after this. I fact, one of them said, and this will sound like a familiar story to you. I remember listening to an interview with one of them. It was only one of them. It was either Daniel Myrik or Eduardo Sanchez. I think it was Eduardo Sanchez, and he said the problem with having the biggest indie hit.
Speaker 2: Of all time at that point is everyone expects you to keep being indie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is when the studio go cool, time for you to do your next film. You can make it for that amount and you go, no, Only Blair Witch works at that amount because it's so stripped down. If you want people understand, certain scripts require certain budgets. And the reason you make a cheap ass thing like Blair, which because it is cheap ass and it's designed to be, is because you can't get the budgets. Yet once you've made that and made a success, you really.
Speaker 2: Should get more budgets. Yeah, because you've proven you can make a success. But you're right, there are times where the studios, et cetera, or whoever holds the money basically goes, well, this has been made for fuck money. The next thing should cost fuck a money.
Speaker 1: Exactly it.
Speaker 2: It's some people don't understand scale yea.
Speaker 1: To my surprise, though, I think the film still does have a creepy atmosphere to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it definitely had that. I will go into it as we go through. Sorry, I don't mean to keep cutting on. I will throw positive there is some positives I can throw it this. I honestly didn't remember the build of the trios, slow degradation to madness and falling apart being quite as good as he is in the film. I had to pause it a lot less in the latter half because the story was more compelling. But yeah, no, I watching it this time, I was like, Oh, I don't remember it actually being this clever.
Speaker 1: I love the bit. One of my favorite bits is when Michael reveals that he's kicked the map into the creek.
Speaker 2: That's like a villain turn almost, isn't it. And you're just like, oh, because they've gone through the whole thing, haven't they. Basically nobody knows where the map iss, Like, Okay, let's all just chill off, let's all just be friends. And then he ruins that a little bit later by going, you know, I kicked it into the creek.
Speaker 1: And he's laughing hysterically.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: A fun fact about this film, which again shows how amateur it was. I'm sure you noticed he has a bit of a weird left field pivot after that point, where Josh starts to go a bit mad instead and Michael's a lot friendlier. I don't know how true this is, but I heard that's because Josh actually couldn't hack being in them because they were legitimately in the woods. That is where. Yeah, this film, like anything you do like about the dialogue, the credit for that actually belongs to the actors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because the directors mostly just oversaw, didn't they.
Speaker 1: Yeah, only key bits like when she reads the legend of Coffin Rock were written. Everything else was literally the actors went into the woods, and the directors were there too, but didn't make contact with them. They would just leave them instructions of where to go each day. Yeah, and a rough outline of Okay, at this point in the film, you're all starting to turn on each other. Yes, And I'm sure I read somewhere that basically it was meant to be Josh and Heather were the last two, which makes sense because they're the friends at the start, and Michael's kind of the third along almost yeah, yeah, But Josh couldn't hack it and quit halfway through the film, so they had to quickly pick only about eight days, I think. But the directors did do something that I personally would not do, and different directors agree on the ethics disagree on the ethics of this. As you know, I'm not found of method acting. I'm not frond of method directing either. I love Alfred Hitchcock, as you know, but the way he tortured Tippy Hendron is just wrong to me. In the girl in the Birds he scene, you know, because of the attic and the bird swoops at her and attacks her face. Yeah, he made her do that something like one hundred and twenty seven times and then used like the first or second take.
Speaker 2: That was also something that was stated about Kubrick. Kubrick with the Girl from the Shining Oh Shelley Devoll yeah, though she also had or has psychological issues, so I'm not sure how much of it came from her anxiety and how much of it was from him. I know he There was a lot of other people saying he liked to play pranks and do weird shit like that. He used to sometimes so that the maze, the garden Maze was an actual set, it wasn't a real garden maze, and he used to when crew went in there to try and get in and out from the set, he used to move it around so that they could get out again. So he'd do things like that for a laugh. But he'd also I think he was also doing a little bit of that method directing, where he would try and really fuck up Shelley duvol to try and get her into the mindset of being someone who's highly anxious. But it didn't mix well with what she was going through, and it ended up being this long term explosive problem of you know that he was an abuser. He may have been. I don't know, because I don't know the story from either side. I was never there, obviously, but it's one of those things where you do put yourself at risk as a director. I think if you go right, I'm gonna fuck you up, but it'd be good for the film. You're like, you're pushing a line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. And on this film they basically deliberately restricted their food intake to make them all grouchy. And then we're barely getting any sleep because they never knew what was going to happen at night. You know, No, they didn't know that the directors were going to come and start banging on the tent or whatever. Yeah, and the bit where you hear Heather scream what the fuck is that as they're running away. One of the directors actually had a costume on to be the Blair Witch, and they'd hoped the camera would swing around and pick it up. And you know, the camera does kind of, but it doesn't see it and pans back, which, my god, honestly, the best thing that could have happened. This film is ruined if you see the Witch ruined, and I can prove that because in the sequel they show you the Witch and it ruins it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. See, I'm not sure one hundred percent agree. I agree that you shouldn't see much of the Witch. However, that shot it would have been nice to see something, not a lot, like a shape. Yeah, a shape would have been fine. The bit where she's doing what I call the snot shot, which is actually it was in all the trailers, but it's actually not until the very end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the iconic shot that got parodied by like everything from Scary Movie to SNL.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, where, Yeah, you can see you right up her nose while she's shut it. Everywhere. The thing is where she's framed. She's framed right to the camera right, there's a huge black gap behind her. It would have been good if at some point you just see something come through and then pick and then push away again at some point. That would have been cool, Like just to use the darkness to your advantage and show a little something but not enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then the only other place I would have been done those two bits, the only other point I would have done it is is right at the very end, after Heather dies and she drops her camera because it holds that shot for ages and fuck all happens and you still never see anything, and I'm like, well, this is bollocks. Yeah, that's a bollocks shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah. In the third one, you see the witch and she's se gi of course.
Speaker 2: Of course she is, because nothing's done better than when it's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but no, I do agree. I like the way they start turning on each other. It's quite good. And I get as you said, people give Heather a little bit of a bad rap.
Speaker 2: They do this a lot with women in shows that they did the same as Skyler on Breaking Bad, that fucking she didn't support and it's like, yeah, you're like literally calling her a bitch because she's not supporting a criminal.
Speaker 1: And the point here is Heather is supposed to be a bit of a bitch. Yeah, Heather is Heather the actress is playing Heather the character really well, yes, if that was a male character who insists on still filming everything while they're lost, people just be like, oh, well, he's just a dedicated director.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think he would still come across as a dickhead. But yeah, I think you're right. There wouldn't have been as much say personal backland.
Speaker 1: People wouldn't call it a bad performance.
Speaker 2: That's the difference.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they'd go this actor is doing a good job of playing a dickhead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I agree with you. You get that a lot because Skyla does do a few shitty things in Breaking bad, but like nowhere near enough. Yeah yeah, but and that is bad, that is terrible. But it's not that they mostly go well, she doesn't really protect Walter and you're like, he's the villain, Like, yeah, fucking what it's it's there seems to be this thing where But if it was the other way around and you had a female villain lead character and the husband maybe slept with someone else, but basically it was just like, look, I can't really support this fucking psycho turn she's going on. I don't think you would have had the personal backlash. Yeah, and you're right, it happens a lot with this sort of thing. People have a kickoff because the woman is being bad. It's like sometimes someone can just be assholes.
Speaker 1: Like it's interesting you didn't like a lot of the opening by that, do you mean do you just mean the stuffhere they're fighting around in the hotel room, or do you include like the interviews with the townspeople, because I quite like the interviews with the townspeople. No a real documentary feel.
Speaker 2: No, I'll be honest. The interview with townspeople was pretty good. It ended up feeling a bit over long. That beginning stretch, even with the interviews, because they'd added all the extra shit, so the bit where they're fucking about in the in the cabin, like the hotel beforehand and all that sort of stuff. When would this ever go into the documentary. That's something else that kind of breaks the emergion a little bit for me, is that I get that that is the reason for that is you're setting up that this is a documentary team and that's all Those three are realistically the only people we're going to be seeing throughout most of the film, so you know you want to catch them in early. But there was just so much of it. And I think some of the problem I had as well was the sound. There were certain points where the sound was awful, and I know that that is again made for realism, but where it became so difficult to try and hear what they were saying and not not giving a shit, and I was like, you might as well cut the scene then if I'm not gonna be able to hear what they're saying, what's the fucking point.
Speaker 1: I have to admit I didn't have that problem, but I kin'd of see what you mean.
Speaker 2: I did have to yoyo the audio a little bit on this one, right, there were certain parts where it was like the voices were kind of be down here, like hey, Josh, are were going on? And the next scene it would cut and again this is all very realistic. It would cut and then then by like a or something, and then the sound of a quite like really loud in the audio field. I'm like, fucking turn that down.
Speaker 1: Then, yeah, i will admit there are there are times where it jumps from one to the other in an instant.
Speaker 2: Now, the issue with that that pulled me out of the film in this in the beginning part of the film is because essentially you've got one of two lanes. You've got the fact that you're just showing the footage as it was found, as you found footage, in which case, fine, it all stays consistent or inconsistent. But the problem is is clearly this has been repackaged by the film studio that quote unquote found the found footage for an audience to see, because it's been edited together and you get certain certain scenes you see from multiple angles when you see it from different people's cameras, So it's clearly been edited, in which case, balance the sound. You're either doing the film studio has edited this, in which case balance the sound, or you're doing it is all found footage, in which case you can't really multicam. I personally go with the balance sound because that improves the film, whereas only using one of your three cameras actually takes away from your film. But they picked option number three, keep the ship sound and multiicamir.
Speaker 1: Well, they only have two cameras to be fair. They yeah, they have the high eight and the sixteen millimeter, so they have the color one and the black and white one.
Speaker 2: Have one.
Speaker 1: Mike's the sound guy, not the camera guy.
Speaker 2: I was I was wondering why Mikey was in so many friends and they never used his cam. It's because he doesn't have one. No, he's the sound That's why he's the guy you see the most. That's why they keep saying to him about She keeps saying where's where's the dat? Or We've got to get the dat back? That that is the name of the sound system. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: The two interviews I like most at the beginning is the woman with the kid that completely unplanned. They just got really lucky, starts freaking out yeah, and being like no, no, yeah, yeah, they got so lucky with you.
Speaker 2: That's just the kid freaking out.
Speaker 1: And I really like so another guy.
Speaker 2: I like the guy's fishing.
Speaker 1: Yes, they're the next one. I was going to say, yeah, they were cool because they are actors. Now, basically they tricked the three leads. The three leads didn't know that the townspeople were pre hired actors who've been given stories to tell. They thought they were into englegit townspeople. So did the actors know it was a fake because they couldn't have known it was a fake thing. Then, because that the actors must have thought that the blay which was a real they yeah, they told them it was a real legend and the film was fictional, but the legend was real and this part of the film was going to be a real documentary.
Speaker 2: That's quite smart because that makes more sense as to why the actors would actually freak out without performing when they do ship to him in the woods.
Speaker 1: But yeah, the two guys at the fishing creek, that's brilliant. I really love the way they because the one's younger, ones older, Yeah, and I love the way like the younger ones a bit more skepticallyarly, and he's like, well, supposedly, and he tells supposedly about it it happened, Yeah, no, and he's like, yeah, whatever, you're crazy, old man.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The interviewing side of it I was fine with. Yeah, it was just all the fluff in the middle. It takes too long to get to the story. And to be fair, I say it takes too long. It only takes about twenty minutes. I think, where was it? Yeah, seventeen minutes, So it takes seventeen minutes before they go into the woods and then set up camp. You might think that I'm being a bit overly harsh. The problem is is when you've got on migraine from watching the damn thing for seventeen straight minutes, and then you've got another hour and ten minutes to go.
Speaker 1: Well, it's not another out. The film's only eighteen minutes, you know, is it. Yeah, Blair Witch Project, it's only got a run time of eighty one minutes, No eighty one minutes, and it's.
Speaker 2: Maybe versions longer.
Speaker 1: It's cut down from twenty hours of footage they shot. Geez, So I'm curious what I imagine most of that other twenty hours is just them walking through the woods.
Speaker 2: I have a question, Actually there's a point, so did you where is it? So after the seventeen minute mark that we get the first signs of an actual, the actual narrative going, where basically Josh says he heard some cackling in the middle of the night. The other two don't believe him. They think he's just taking the piss. The next day, Heather shoots a mouse and she's like filming the mouse, and she says, what killed this dead mouse? Witchcraft? And then Josh replies, how about God? Which I thought was an interesting line. I didn't know if there was meant to be more meaning to that line or whether it was just a joke because it's in like a thraw away. But yeah, they discussed that. I'd like to discuss that line a little bit if you had any alternate views on that line, if you think that was relevant or just a bit of No.
Speaker 1: I just interpreted as a sort of a natural causes type thing, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fair enough, And then we get this is where it keeps on stalling with random shit. We get a bit about Mike's chest hair, which that never comes back.
Speaker 1: It looks like is it Uruguay is in it or something?
Speaker 2: Well, they start calling out, yeah, different countries in the shape of his chest hair. But yeah, that was just a weird, random thing. And then they took take footage of Heather having a piss.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's weird.
Speaker 2: And when you sit there and go, well, you know, the actors were just filming whatever, like that could have been a scene that they were told to film. Kind of feels like it was. Especially when you know that obviously you'd go, well, clearly it's fake because they're using her character's name, but the character names are the actor name, which is a stroker genius because it means any of your outtakes quote unquote can still be used when they refer to each other. But it also means when you see that scene where they're like filming a taking a piss, you're sort of said, they go, is that an outtake or was that a grotty little fucker?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I know some of the actors have come out since saying that they regret letting it use their real names. Yeah, because it's actually limited roles in the future for them.
Speaker 2: But they're already dead. I'm not going to go through. There is another part at just before the twenty two minute mark, they need to do a river crossing across a tree trunk, and this is the only part where the sound becomes not quite but it's kind of non diagetic sound. We see from the sixteen millimeter as I'm guessing Josh filming Heather crossing the tree trunk after Mikey and Josh I've already gone. But the audio over the top of it is Heather talking about, you know, oh, I don't know if I've got the ability to cross this while we're seeing a visibly cross and you can see on the footage she's not talking at that point, which means that the audio mismatches the video. Now I understand why that's done from a narrative sense. It's actually done for expediency. You get her nervousness matched with the fact that we're not delaying the story progressing. So as a narrative piece, that makes sense. But actually it's the one time I could I spotted where it doesn't fit the theme of the film, which is this is all found footage. It didn't bother me, but it just as soon as it happened, I was that hagger. Yeah, but yeah, twenty two minutes. It's the twenty two minute mark they start to find the mounds of rocks, which is the earliest hint that we get at the Blair Witch itself, and eventually that comes back a lot later as well with I do like the.
Speaker 1: Legit concern in a voice when she goes, please, some of you didn't just not that over? Yeah, I think that works really well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's defiling something.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well they think it's a Native American thing, don't they, Yes.
Speaker 2: They do. At twenty six minutes, Heather can hear what she thinks sounds like fireworks, and they think that it's kids outside messing with her. Now, the reason I'm mentioning this is I've heard a theory of this film. It's not obviously people can take away what they want from this movie a theory, and I'm not saying this is correct or even my view. I just thought it'd be interesting one to raise. There is a theory that the actual what actually happens in this film is that Heather is murdered, but she's murdered by Mikey and Josh, and that the idea is that while they're out there, they're slowly gaslighting her, and this is the first time we really start to see that come forward, because we can hear it and the cameras that there's something going on, there's something exploding outside. The two boys don't seem at all bothered, despite the fact that you probably would still be at least a little bothered that there's some explosions happening outside of your tent. But she's obviously freaking out, not knowing what it is. And then it's just some kids, let's get on with it, like shut up. It's possible that footage was from the directors trying to freak them out with some fireworks and the two main actors going, oh, we can give a shit tonight, we'll go to sleep, and it just so happens that that locks into this narrative. But yeah, what's your thoughts on the idea that the film is about two guys gaslighting a woman to get her ready for the process of murdering her. Certainly, since by the time we see the blair Witch stuff come up, Josh, I believe has already disappeared.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the I have heard that theory before. Yeah, it's definitely an interesting theory. I think the fact this sequels disproves it in the Cannon because canonically the Blair Witch does exist.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, but but ignoring the secrets, just taking it as it is interesting.
Speaker 1: I do prefer a spooky supernatural story, of course, but I can see where the theory comes from. I think it falls apart a bit when later on they do hear like the baby crying and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the baby crying was weird.
Speaker 1: Oh that's the scariest bit in the whole film, in my opinion.
Speaker 2: You do hear Josh as well at the end inside the house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is nothing creepier than hearing babies where there is no baby. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like I don't know why as well, because it shouldn't be that creepy hearing because the baby's not gonna hurt you. Yeah, but it's the suggestion that maybe it's the suggestion because we know that generally mothers in most mammal species are very overprotective, let's say, of children. And I don't mean that they shouldn't be protective, but like they can be violently So a lot of different animals can be violently aggressive towards anyone that goes near their baby, whether you mean to or not the fact you can hear it but don't know where it is. You're like, I could be nearly going near something's baby and they're gonna murder me for it, and I didn't mean to piss anyone off. Maybe it's to do with that. Yeah, but it is very strange. It's like some people find it creepy when they hear babies laughing. Yeah, it doesn't work with adults laughing. It's something to do with it being a baby, maybe because there's the suggestion of innocence, and if you're in the middle of nowhere, why is there an innocent here? Maybe it's I don't know. It is strange because it is something to do specifically with baby, is that? Or maybe it's just our fear of responsibility.
Speaker 1: Maybe I do really like the ending of this film.
Speaker 2: Well in the House, Yeah, yeah, it definitely The house helps a lot. The one thing I do have a negative on the House is the age of the house.
Speaker 1: How old it is?
Speaker 2: It's not that old.
Speaker 1: Well, so as the thing is that house is a legitimate historical relic in America. Bosh, America is not that old. It's from the eighteen hundreds, oh is it? Yeah? That house is legitimately from the eighteen hundreds and has since been torn down because Blair which fans wouldn't stop going to it and damaging it, and the council I guess you'd call it, said, right, we're going to knock it down. Blair Witch fans signed a petition go away, no, no, save it. It got loads of signatures, so the council went, fine, we won't knock it down, and then once the furora had died down, they quietly went and demolished it.
Speaker 2: Oh that's shitty because.
Speaker 1: People wouldn't stop going and it was because the house was becoming unsafe to be in because people were like damaging the floorboards and things, and they were like, one of these days someone's going to go in and the floor's going to collapse.
Speaker 2: It's things like that always make me laugh because I'm like, look, you've managed to get something, not by choice, just because you know they didn't approve the film, per say, but as a council you've been gifted something here. You've been gifted a location that millions want to go to, or thousands maybe want to go to because of a love of a movie. Nowhere else has this location Now, sure it's a deredate, Sure it's unsafe. Surely what you should do, who is invest in not tighten it up, making it look new. Make it look safe, though, yeah, make it physically safe. Charge people to come, Like, why the fuck not we do it with Stonehenge. You're allowed near Stonehenge as long as you pay your entry fee. It's it just seems madness to me that you know, you've as a counselor you've got Oh, we've got this thing that could really bring in tourism. We can build on the blair Witch concept as part of our town.
Speaker 1: It actually ties into the sequel, but I'll talk to that. I'll talk about that at the end, right, Okay, But yeah, no, it's a real old house. And yeah, it's kind of shit that she just runs up and down it. That bit I'm not a big fan of. But I love the bloody handprints on the wall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was really cool. And I love that Were they in the basement or were they in because they go into the loft first thinking Josh's scream from the loft, and then they hear the baby scream and then the Josh screaming from the basement instead, So they go down to the basement. Yeah, and when she comes in, my keyars in the corner facing the corner which earlier on when they told the story about the serial kills, how the last lot was found.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's how he used to kill people. How Stimpa used to kill people.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, what I find interesting about about this is, again I suppose we don't really get the answers in this film. The Blair Witch is somehow using Josh to her advantage, whether or not Josh is actually alive at that point and screaming for help. But I think what the suggestion actually is is that the Blair Witch is able to do a very strong amount of imitation, because there's a lot of different noises and voices that they seem to get that can only really come from the Witch, but he's clearly not the Witch's own voice. Yeah, it's a bit strange that the Witch would decide to use imitation to creep people out. But yeah, simultaneously, I don't know what the bloody handprints were all about. It'd be interesting to see how much of that was added by the filmmakers, or if those handprints were actually there. Yeah, you could be people used to go there in the local town before Blair Witch and just like fingerpaint hands to the wall to show like how many children have been here, how many people have been here, and that they saw that just went we've got film now, Yeah, could you would? It was very creepy house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's brilliant. I'd love to have seen it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That happens seven and a half minutes from the end, so it's really not very long that you're in that house. Uh. It's the best bit of the film though, because it's the only bit of the film that's really a horror.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The rest of it's creepy. Yeah, but it's not really a horror, more of a thriller. Maybe the house is pure horror.
Speaker 1: I've always said this film is a bit like a punchline film. Yeah, in that obviously it's not funny, but the whole film is just preparing you for that one like three minute sequence iever long it is there in them Yeah, yeah, house, which is why I could I can totally understand why these people who don't like this film, Like, I can absolutely understand it.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of build up for quite literally nothing. You know, it's not okay, so well you don't see much now, you see nothing, but what you do see within that nothing is very creepy. If they've managed to pick their nothing wisely, I suppose, which is a strange thing to say.
Speaker 1: But yeah, another interesting thing. I just want to talk about about this film, and then I'll talk a little bit about the sequels and we can move on. I think what's so unique about Blair Witch Project is I really think there is no other point in time you could make it and have it have the same historical impact.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So this this came out what ninety seven, ninety nine because essentially at this time there was the rise of the Internet. The Internet existed in the nineties, but it was still very much in an early stage.
Speaker 1: Ye. This is widely regarded. I don't know how true it is, but it generally is recognized as the first film where its marketing campaign was primarily via the Internet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and part of that came from the fact that in those days of the Internet, God, in the decent days of the Internet before it was all algorithms, fucking algorithms of ruined the Internet so much. Man. But anyway, in the early days of the Internet, the idea was that you could find whatever you want by actually doing a search and the search not being paid algorithm bullshit. There was a rise of what they called viral marketing. Now, obviously, viral marketing has been around for decades before the Internet. It's not new. But the way that viral marketing was used when the Internet came along, because of its long, extended reach and the sort of content you were able to get to people, really extended how far you could take viral marketing. It wasn't unique to this film that that sort of viral marketing was happening, but certainly when it came to the impact, Blair Witch did it best because there was a lot of because people like creepy shit, let's be honest, like creepy pasta content as it was called. It's not really called that anymore, even to be honest, but all that sort of creepy footage on what happened to this, like these people disappeared, or this scary story about a video game, or about this person disappearing in the woods one day, or there's a lot of horror st content online. Look at YouTube. There's a huge portion of it where there's just people telling stories. You sadly have got annoyed with it eventually, because it was all the same stories, but these dark stories of what happened on the web or what happened in the videos on this, this, this, and this. You couldn't get that much viral shit out until the Internet came along, and then suddenly people were building websites about, you know, creepy shit, and you'd go on these websites, Oh, a new creepy story for you, and you'd get not just someone telling a tall tale, you'd get the written word. You'd have audio of it. Maybe you'd have video of it that was downloadable, because it was before the days of YouTube, so it's before the days of streamable video. But I used to do this on a dreamcast. You could download a quick mouth file on your dreamcast from a website and play the video file. These things were were doable in the nineties. This film really was the first one to find that and go, let's take that up to eleven.
Speaker 1: But I also think the film wouldn't have been picked up at any other time period. You know, the nineties, you have the rise of Indiewood, as they call it, where Hollywood suddenly became interested in indie films thanks to Tarantino and the success of pulp fiction yep, and you get these medium range studios like Artisan who start going to Sundance and taking a bit more of a risk on weird films like this. Yeah, I don't necessarily think this would get picked up any time other than the late nineties, because obviously that Indiewood attitude as well and truly died at this point.
Speaker 2: I think the other reason is, as much as I understand again, I understand why it works for the film, the really bad camera work. It kind of lucked out on the time period because during the late nineties and early two thousands, even though just the way they edited stuff was really frenetic, so they found like fast movement blurs and like sort of janky camera work was kind of edgebra so you had a lot of that, like even down to the hole, you wouldn't steal a car. That trailer was edited in the same fashion. It's all janky, quick moving camera and all this shit. Because it was edgy, it was cool, that's what everyone wants to see. Ra bam in your face. And because it came out during the time where that was acceptable, it didn't feel quite as egregious. It felt a bit weird. That was a whole film rather than just like a fucking thirty second advert, and not to steal pirate videos. But yeah, it fit into a timeframe where edgy camera work and cutting was the norm. If you tried to release a film like that now, no one would have it, yeh, because you'd sit there and go, fucking just just get one of them fucking sticks that helps balance your phone or just you know what I mean, likes. There's a million ways you can stabilize and people expect you to well.
Speaker 1: So that leads me perfectly into the sequels. Then. Yeah, so this actually became a bit of a franchise. You know. There were three different video games based on the Blear Witch were there back in the nineties on the PC, which are basically really difficult to find now.
Speaker 2: Oh they like flash games.
Speaker 1: I don't know what they were. They look like cheap one of them looks like a cheap as an Evil clone. There's then been a modern game that came out around twenty seventeen, twenty eighteen, which I have got. I haven't played it yet, but I've heard it's really good. Apparently it's really scary, right, but I think it's scary in the same way that like slender Man, the Return was scary, where it's it's all just focused on the build up to win. The Witch might turn up.
Speaker 2: And I played slender Man. I think it was the eight pages or something, right, thirteen pages out of an amount of pages, and you walk around a shitty looking woods and try and find pieces of paper and then eventually your vision gets blurred and if you're not, if you don't make it in die the slender Man.
Speaker 1: Now I could be wrong, but I think that's what it is. There was then a series of young adult novels for the Blair Witch. Yeah, no, what I know? Oh yeah, this was a much bigger franchise than you'd think. But of course it was. When you say young adult novels aimed at like eleven to fourteen years oh okay, cool, I okay, I thought you meant like dirty dogs. No, no, no, no, do you want to get fused by the Blair Witch? But like literally, But in terms of movies, this two sequels.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: The first of those sequels comes a few years later. It's called Book of Shadows Blair Witch two. Now, there is an interesting thing about Book of Shadows, which is they got this director in to do it, and I've actually forgotten the director's name, so I apologize. And they said to him, hey, we want to hire you to do blair Witch too. So they didn't go back to the original creators no, which to be sure, I don't think they They might have gone to them and they weren't interested, but they went to this guy and said, we want to do blair Witch too, And this guy said, okay, well you can't do the same trick again because no one's going to fall for it a second time. What he wanted to do instead was, as I just said earlier, that house got flooded with so many visitors and they were damaging it. Yeah, And there was also disturbances being caused in the town and townspeople being harassed by people who thought it was real and were turning up and being like, well, we want to make a documentary about blair Witch. Tell us about blear.
Speaker 2: Witch, and everyone's just yeah, because they expect to see the townsfolk from the film. Yeah, but their actors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So they just got up to it and they're like what, And you of course got some people in the town who said, well, this is a money making opportunity. So they would do things like tours of the woods. There's nothing to see, no, but they'd charged people to tech them in woods for a night and then take them home again. And he wanted to do a film about that, like a meta narrative about how the release and success of the first film had ruled in life in this town. Sure, and then try and thread some supernatural elements into it, which would have been really interesting. And he shot most of that and the studio went, yeah, no, we don't like this. We're gonna get you to re edit it please into a generic horror movie. Ugh, and we want you to shoot some stuff where like the witch has possessed one of them and is making them kill the others. So it ended up being a bit of a dud. Hence there was no sequel after that for a while. Yeah, that feels Oh did Bloomhouse not pick it up? No? Oh did bloom Oh Bloomhouse might have done the third one, actually, because there was one that's just called blair Witch. Yeah, that might be bloom And that was a lot.
Speaker 2: I remember that one was like fifteen years later or maybe.
Speaker 1: Twenty twenty sixteen. That one comes out.
Speaker 2: Right, So it's nearly twenty years later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Blear Witch. They did another gimmick with that one, where they didn't tell anyone they were filming it, right, And then the way it got revealed was people went to either Comic Con or or something like Comic Con were told they were going to get a special screening of a new horror movie with a really generic title like The Woods or something like that. Right, people went in, and then just as the film was about to start, the director was like, surprise, it's a Blair Witch movie. Right. And that's one of these sort of legacy sequels where it ignores that the second film ever happened and just goes back to the first.
Speaker 2: Sounds very much like Bloemhouse because they did that with Halloweens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it follows the younger brother of Heather who he's watched the footage and then I think some other people have gone into that house afterwards and they filmed some footage there and put it on the internet, right, And in the footage they've put on the internet, he's convinced that you can glimpse Heather right in the foot in the footage.
Speaker 2: Is that any good that film.
Speaker 1: It's okay, it's so the problem is it's all found footage again, but it's twenty sixteen, so there's no film grain. It's all digital. It's overdone in the sense that they've got like drones and things like that, which looks great because you get these lovely sweeping shots over the tree line. Yeah yeah, and it's just this endless forest of trees, which look that is cool, wonderful, but it ruins the feel.
Speaker 2: See. What I would have done is I would have had them have that and go right, we're going to bring drones with us so we can get as much footage as possible. And the first thing that goes is the blair Witch takes those out. So then because that way, it starts off open and then gets more claustrophobic as she works her way into them. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't disase that how they do it, or yeah they do. I don't dislike blair Witch. I like it, but it's it is the exact thing you would expect between Okay, this is the original truly indie one yep. And this is one that's got a budget behind it and it's got a famous director out, Adam Wingard, who went on to do Godzilla VI Kong. There's no sucking in Blear Witch. So instead of just people going missing, you are seeing people die, like a tree falls on one person. Another person gets this thing where like a tree starts to grow out of their leg and it looks really visceral and cool. But then you get they meet two other people in the woods, and you know there's a suggestion, but it's only ever a suggestion in the original that the woods are physically changing around them. Yeah, because they did the same direction for one day and somehow loop yeah, blear, which makes that that's like fully established that that's happening, right, And also that there's a time loop because they meet these two people, well the time loop, sorry, that time works differently in the woods because they meet these two people, fall out with those two people over something I can't remember what. Those two people go off on their own. Then they're not in like most of the film. Then at the end of the film they bump into them again. But those two people, like the blokes grown a beard, like, dude, it's been two days since we saw you, and he's like, we've been wandering around this forest for three months. Yeah, And then as I say at the end, you see the Witch. Now, to be fair, the first time you see the Witch is fine, and it's done really well where you just glimpse her. The cameras like moving around the trees and you just glimpse her move behind a tree and she looks like, yeah, she's tall with long limbs. Yeah, that's the thing. It's not creative. Just glimpsing her was fine because I remember being I watched it in the cinema and in the cinema and do that.
Speaker 2: Just get the guy who was in the guy who's in Star Trek Discovery, Doug Giants. Just get Doug Jonts.
Speaker 1: I don't know, way taller than that. She's like, yeah, but just trick that. Oh yeah, you just you just trick that. Yeah, the first time you glimpse her. It works because you you have a moment we're just like, did I just see the Witch?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think I just saw the Witch? And then you get like a full on bit where she's on camera for like five straight minutes at one point, okay five minutes exaggeration like one minute, but still it's still too much.
Speaker 2: It's too much. You want you want to keep your monster hidden and certainly with the Blair Witch. And if you're going to show the Blair Witch after all this time, make it's something unique.
Speaker 1: Yeah, make it a better design.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't just go Wells London man.
Speaker 1: I'll be honest. It is a film that I've never felt needed sequels. It never had sequels.
Speaker 2: I agree it kind of ruins the point of the film, which is that it's found footage. If you sequalize it, the only other thing that you could maybe do as a sequel, and you'd have to do it in the same style. So I'm definitely not the man to make that film is you could do, but you'd have to also try and set it in the era. You do that, you hear other there's another group in the woods who never run across our main guys, but while the ship's happening to them from the first film, they're hearing it, so all the fireworks going off could be from these other people, and they're like, Okay, what's that. It's not actually the blair Witch, it's this other group. But then as that they come across like the Blair Wi symbology and stuff a lot quicker. But you could give you you don't need to do this, But like you could do anything with that. You could have that they find things that freak out the other party, but it's actually happening to them getting murdered. So the party in the first Blair Witch Project is actually hearing other people getting mrked by the witch, which is why she takes so long to get to them. She's not actually delaying getting to them or playing with them.
Speaker 1: Assard a long list of people to kill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's just a lot of motherfuckers in these words the diet, you know what I mean? You could do something like that, maybe as a not I'm just spitballing ideas off the top of my head, but like those are ways you could be invented. But again, the problem you've got is where it's now so far away from the original Blair Witch Project. In order for that to look authentic, really, you'd have to film it the same way. You need to go back to the handicams of the nineties and maybe a sixteen millimeter. You can't bring drones in, you can't bring in high deaf cameras and stabilizers. And because you have, even if you had gave the film a budget that would make the film then not work because you just sit there and go, well, why was none of this in the original exactly, So you kind of you've locked the film into the era in which it was made as well, which is why again, as you say, makes very little sense to sequalize it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's Hollywood, and we can't let something just be by itself.
Speaker 2: It's hard.
Speaker 1: If it made money, If it made money, this's gotta be sequels.
Speaker 2: There's got to be some. Yeah, some. Well, I think that's enough about it. I have one more thing, sorry, yeah, no, go ahead, So I have one more thing, which is there was a line that I really liked in the film, and it's from Josh. I think it's from Josh or Yeah. So it's just before Josh disappears at forty nine minutes, there's a fight between Heather and Mike, and then a little bit after that. I think it's Josh's looking through the camera that Heathers keeps using to film them.
Speaker 1: Oh, is it where he's talking about it's not quite reality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I see why you like this video camera so much. It's not quite reality. It's totally like a filtered reality. I thought that was an interesting line as well. Doesn't really pay off. But I kind of like the idea that the camera might be able to pick up. Maybe it's not right for this film, but I kind of like the idea if it had a kind of almost a camera obscurer sort of effect from fatal frame, where the camera is able to pick up details that they can't quite get with their naked eye, that would be kind of cool. It's again, it's not utilized, but I just thought that was a good line.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like the bit where he's filming Heather as well and he's like torturing her, yeah, and he's like that's your motivation, yeah, yeah, taking the piss and she's like, what do you want? And he's like, I want to make movies, Heather. That's actually a line that said really creepily. That's probably the bit that closest leans into the theory that yeah, he's at him and Michael are actually killers. Yeah is what he's like, I want to make movies, Heather. Well, there you have it, folks. That is Rory and myself giving a second take to the Blair Witch Project. We will be back next week with another film to give the second take treatment to. In the meantime, you can find us over on x at the Imparlor Films or on Facebook at Imparlor Revolution, where you can keep up to date with latest releases other shows that we do. You can find links to our discord our Patreon if you'd like to help support the show. We also do a couple of other shows, including VGMP, the Video Game Movie Podcast. We also do two fiction shows. Lens of the Moon is a sci fi cosmic horror series written by a great Canadian author and Haunted, the audio drama created by Yours Truly that I run with my business partner Benton that is sort of an X Files meets Doctor Who horror adventure type series that you can check out. Thank you very much for joining us today as we talk about the Blair Witch Project, and we will see you next time.