Speaker 1: We're joined right now by key K Hernandez. When you spell clutch in LA, it's not with the C, it's with the K. For key K. You really have started to turn it on like you always do at this time of year. I know, obviously yesterday did not go the way you wanted, but KEYK feels like here in rare form again.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, you know, we we're we're in the final stretch and we're playing very important games. And you know, the more the game means, the better.
Speaker 3: Uh, you know, the best of me comes out.
Speaker 2: And I don't know, I don't know, it's it's a weird feeling to describe it, but uh yeah, it's very important games and we need people to step up to the occasion. And you know, I've been able to have a good last few games, and you know, obviously it feels way better when you have a good game and we win than when you have a good game and we don't win. So, uh, you know, just trying to do my part, obviously, uh, knowing my role and all that, So just being ready for whenever my name gets called upon, if a it's called upon, If not, then you know, bring whatever I can bring to the team. To to help the team win even when I'm not in the on the field.
Speaker 3: Key k.
Speaker 1: The mantra of former Dodger teams that you were part of was to be where your feet are. Do you feel like this team needs to recalibrate to be where your feet are as far as not worried about the way things ended last night or what is transpired in the future or in the past.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I don't. I don't.
Speaker 2: Uh, I don't necessarily think that people are, you know, thinking about.
Speaker 3: Yesterday, last night, today, But uh, yeah, you know, we need to.
Speaker 2: We need to realize the important of these games, and uh we.
Speaker 3: Need to lock it in. We we need to.
Speaker 2: We can't give extra houts on defense. We can't give extra ninety feet, we can't run into outs on the basis because, uh, every.
Speaker 3: Run is going to be crucial from here on out, especially you know.
Speaker 2: As we get closer to the playoffs, and in the playoffs, every run.
Speaker 3: Is is absolutely critical.
Speaker 2: So uh, you know we can, uh we can let the up. We can't give them extra outs, and we can't run into house on the bases, and you know, we just got to play better fundamental baseball.
Speaker 3: And you know, today's a good is.
Speaker 2: A new day, and we got Jack on the mountain and we're feeling pretty good about that.
Speaker 1: Key K Hernandez is our guest. Key K, you were playing every day at third base for the better part of two months. You, like you said, you embraced your role, gone back to the bench and have been ready in the biggest moments. How has the preparation changed for you, maybe even from three years ago.
Speaker 2: I mean a lot back then I had to do was just grab my leg, grab my arm, and I was ready to go.
Speaker 3: And uh, you know, as you get a.
Speaker 2: Little older, it takes a little more preparation to to get ready to play, and especially to come off the bench where you know, finchitting is the hardest thing to do in all sports, and uh, you know when you got to come in and face the guy throwing really hard, and not not just that, but you also got to be ready to you know, once the ball gets put on play, put in play, you gotta be able to run one hundred percent, and so you got to be fully loose and that's kind of hard to do coming off the bench and things like that. But you know, I've done it for a long time. Uh, the process is different than back in the day, but uh but uh you know the the goal is the same and and the ejector is the same, so you know, uh, like you said, Uh, just making sure that I'm ready whatever situation, whatever position, whatever it is that I need to do to help the team win.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm here for.
Speaker 1: There used to be a pr official with the Dodgers with Kik the first time around, named Dace Suke Segura and his family owns a sushi restaurant here in Los Angeles, and I guess they're trying to bring the good luck sushi to the Dodgers because you said they're in the clubhouse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're here today.
Speaker 2: They're usually here on Fridays, but uh, of course we don't have any more Friday.
Speaker 3: Left in the regular season.
Speaker 2: But uh yeah, bar Ayama one of the better, if not the best Japanese restaurants I've had in the in l A. And uh, lucky for us, they're here cooking for us today. And uh you know their their grandparents now because I had a kid, uh kids raising kids, So uh, you know dies but dies back in his home in Japan, but uh, you know he's missed around here?
Speaker 1: Can you give La your sushi order if you're on a dinner date with your wife? What's Kik's go to or do you let the sushi chef dictate?
Speaker 3: Depends?
Speaker 2: If I go to Barhayama, you know you trust that they're going to bring all the good stuff. But I honestly can't give you my sushi order here because it's way too long. And wow, my wife usually let me let me do the picking, and uh, I usually order too much food to where we can't even eat that we order.
Speaker 1: So yeah, all right, so it's not just the avocado roll.
Speaker 3: No, no, not at all. That is not sushi.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the time, Kik and Los Angeles, like I tell you every time we talk, appreciates everything you stand for, everything that you do as far as just leaving it all out on the field and it doesn't go unnoticed. And we'll be talking next time with you celebrating in champagne.
Speaker 3: Oh thanks Dave, Thanks for fluffing me up. I love that.
Speaker 1: There he goes Key k Hernandez, don't be at the sushi table with him up