Speaker 1: Joe nine says it's going to be a rainy Halloween when they say rain shows up this afternoon and it's likely well, only some very gusty winds. I heard Gus's highest forty five miles an hour seventy five to the high forty seven overnight with some clouds and Maydian isolated shower Sunny tomorrow with high sixty two over night, little forty one, a couple of clouds and sunny on Saturday, going up to sixty seven. It's sixty seven right now. Traffic time.
Speaker 2: Chuck from the UCL Triumphing Center. Count on the expert team and you see health Orthopedics and sports medicine, no matter the injury. Same day appointments are available schedule online at u see health dot com. Sat Pound seventy five continues to run close to an extra hour due to an accident above one point twenty nine. Left side is blocked off slow again through Bachland. There's a wreck eastbound on the sixth Street Viaduct near Dalton. Chuck King, Vermont fifty five KRC the talk station.
Speaker 1: A thirty one fifty u KRCD doc station Friday Eve. The pleasure and the Benefit of talking to iHeart Metadation nextpert Jay Ratliffe every week at this time, and welcome back, Jay, love having you on the show. Pleasant, good morning, Congratulations on the stock trades there, buddy.
Speaker 3: At nine minutes, it was I'm.
Speaker 4: Training my students and occasionally I've got time to look over my shoulder and yeah, yesterday grabbed a stock and sold it, grabbed it and sold it in what under nine minutes for about thirty four hundred dollars. To me, I've told you that's the worth day.
Speaker 1: You're done.
Speaker 4: You're done all nine minutes, all nine minutes. But yeah, look, the less time my money's in the market, the more I like it. But it's interesting because I've been asked a lot of times about, hey, is the market predicting who's the next President's right? Where's the money going? And you know what I do is I keep an eye on the energy stocks because there's trillions of dollars that's going to head in that direction if Trump is in fact elected as president, and right now not a lot of it is going in that direction, nor is a lot of it flowing out. So the market's still seeing that everything is very close and not really telling. But If Trump is victorious on Tuesday, which I certainly hope that he is, the energy sector will certainly get a boost because he's a very energy friendly president. Yes, he tries to get us back to that, you know.
Speaker 1: Energy independent, and of course that's one area of the inflation reality that he can change by lowering the price of gasoline, by drilling more more available on the market. That's an easy, simple economic lesson. I would argue that in some way, shape or form, the military industrial complex also may either benefit or be harmed depending on who gets into office. But I saw Boeing, every little bit counts, and in terms of bad news, it just keeps piling up for Boeing. Here's my curveball for the week for you, Boeing. Boeing hikes soap dispenser prices by eight thousand dollars. Bottom line, they've gouged the Air Force with one one million dollars in overcharges for one single aircraft to see seventeen over a four year period. And that's kind of scratching the service of it. But more bad news for Boeing. Maybe this is something Elon Musk can fix if he's in charge of getting rid of waste and abuse.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, the libertarian side of you, which I side with frequently, you look at some of this stuff and you're just thinking, Okay, government's got a role, but it's got to be as efficient as it can. And when you see this kind of stuff, you just shake your head. And it's when you have examples of just that's not gouging. That's to me, that's just criminal. When you are going to that extreme to take advantage of a situation, it's because you feel like you can't be fired. You feel like you've got the job forever, and you're going to make decisions. And Boeing's proven it time and time and time again, almost as though they're going to operate out of a sense of arrogance and bothers me a great deal. You know, you've got the airplane that came apart, You've got the spaceship that had the issues, you had one of their satellites that blew up in orbit. You've got all of these things that are taking place that have the Boeing label slapped on the side of the of it, and they just seem to be going along as though, you know, nothing's really changed. And it's that because Bowing used to be a great company.
Speaker 1: It did.
Speaker 4: Now they're a company that is anything but great. And some of the decisions we see with aircraft or as you indicated on the defense side, makes you think, is anybody holding these people accountable? And I think the the you know, very loud answers no.
Speaker 1: Well, this does show what a little accounting oversight can do. The age did, the did the analysis and inspection revealed all this. We need more of that in every area of government. Let's pause. We'll bring Jay rat Live back to talk about new rules that for refunds. We've got don't jump in front of the and we got a passenger suing Jet Blue oddly over an ice cream sandwich. Plus ub delays more with Jay Ratliffe stay right here at fifty five ker City Talk Station.
Speaker 3: Well we still have smapd our projects stuff rad I've has.
Speaker 1: He is iHeartMedia aviation expert. He's nationwide and we spend time with him every Thursday for a few segments, which is really kind of a highlight of my week because you know, you make it really easy to transition. My favorite day of the week, Jay Friday.
Speaker 3: So let's have.
Speaker 1: Some fun, please, So I guess the airlines are not happy. There is now an automatic refund rule, So explain how this came about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, again, the Department of Transportation under Joe Biden is going after airlines. And I've told you before I will get on the administration for all the stupid things they do, but when they do anything right, and this is about the only thing I've seen. They're trying to force the airlines into better customer service. And they're saying, look, if you have a canceled flight or a severely delayed flight, and they defined it so there's no speculations, you know, subjective nature. Here three hours for a domestic flight, six hours for international flight. If the delays exceed that, then you have to at least offer a refund for passengers if they don't take those flights. And because the flight's being delayed or canceled. Now, in the past, airlines would give us those vouchers. And I've talked about the vouchers for years because the vouchers have normally a one year expiration date, and they know about eighty five to ninety percent of the people or more will not use those vouchers within that timeframe. So imagine writing a check to a passenger that they don't cash, and that's what many of those vouchers are. So the government is saying, look, if you've got a cancel flight or a severely delayed flight where somebody's not going to be taking it, don't offer a voucher for future travel. You have to offer the opportunity of a refund. Now, some people may take the vouchers and that's fine. Other people that want to refundel get it. Same thing with the bag fees. If your bag doesn't arrive within twelve hours of your arrival, the bag fees are to be refunded. So this type of thing has been done with some airlines already, but now the government is forcing airlines across the board to make sure that these things are done.
Speaker 1: Well, you anticipated where I was going to go with that. This is something that would benefit an airline to do on its own, simply because they're differentiating themselves from the otherwise less generous refund options than other airlines, Like, hey, you don't have to worry I for whatever reason your flight gets canceled or delayed. More than that, we will give you your money back. That's a great marketing campaign.
Speaker 4: Well, and that's what Southwest does right exactly. Excuse me. They have no change fees and they also have no expiration date on their vouchers, so all of that is designed for customer service. And you know, but so many people travel not because of the best service. They travel because this airline as the best fares, or like me with Delta, who and I've had many issues with Delta over the years. They have the best completion factor of anybody on the planet. So as a result, I know that if I book a Delta flight, especially the party early in the morning, I stand a very good chance of that flight operating and getting me there on time or close to it. And that's what a lot of business people will look at when they travel, is, you know, who's got the highest completion fit rates so that I can get to where I need to go without really having too much disruption along the way. But rarely is the customer service. And I've seen airlines so many times over the decades I've been around the industry that have come out saying we surveyed people, thousands of them, and they said that if an airline came out with slightly higher fares but great customer service, that they would go with the carrier that provided the best customer service, even if it was at more than the going rate. And every airline that's tried it has failed because when it comes down to it, people don't care about customer service. If I can fly this airline and say fifty bucks a person, there's five of us going, I just save two hundred and fifty dollars. I'll go on the airline I don't like versus spending extra money to fly on a carrier that might pamper me to death. The market simply isn't there because consumers are priced driven more than anything, and that's what they're going to be looking for.
Speaker 1: Understand that, like a grown up, All right, moving over, Apparently you shouldn't cut it line.
Speaker 4: Yeah, American Airlines is well, there's a term. It's called gate life. These are the people that gate lines that we assign the term to quietly attrain ourselves that the people that try to jump in front of other people. If you have an airline that has say ten boarding zones, and it's got one through ten, and you have somebody who's in zone nine right there on the boarding pass board with zone nine right board three three is boarding, so they just kind of step in line with them.
Speaker 1: I've seen.
Speaker 4: I see the whole thing that they can you know, you know, maybe plea on the sympathy of the gate agent and be allowed on. Well, now, the thing is when the agent scans that boarding pass, when Zone three is boarding and you've got a Zone nine, a very loud alarm is going to go off. Well, not only is it going to notify the agent but everybody in the gate area of what you are trying to do. The thought is that we can shame these people into better behavior, and I would I would gladly tell American They've yet to call me that this is a very very nice thing to do. But recognize so many people could really care less. They don't care what you think. These are the same people cut you off in traffic, They'll cut you off of the grocery. They'll they will step in front of you without a thought whatsoever and look at you like you're the problem. These people will still get up there and they will be oblivious because they don't care. I hope it is as a torrent, but outside of electric shock collars around everybody's neck where we can zap them when they get out of line. I don't think an alarm like that's going to do much. Hopefully it will, and I would love to be proven wrong. But decades being around people that are traveling that really don't care alarm, I mean, it's just no. I don't think you can shame some of these people into better social behavior because I just don't think some of them have it in them.
Speaker 3: That's an understatement. That's beautiful, Jay, But I Bryan, if I taught a psychology class at college, I would take my class to the airport because you could learn so much in human behavior just by observing what goes on.
Speaker 1: Isn't that true? And you know there's sort of the sense of propriety and decency as over the last several years just dropped off the map. Anyway, moving on, Apparently ice cream sandwiches can result in a lawsuit.
Speaker 4: Yep. Anytime I see some of the lawsuit, I think of you. And I've got a question after this that maybe even quickly answer for me. But there was a passing your own Jet Blue flight. She got an ice cream sandwich, which is like really nice because you know a lot of airlines don't have ice cream sandwiches. Well, this one was kind of brick card, so she took a bite of it and she broke her tooth off, So obviously that's not her fault. She's now suing Jet Blue because the ice cream sandwich was too cold, it was too too hard, and Jet Blue should have known giving that to her that this was not a safe thing to eat. Therefore, because of the emotional distress she has gone through and all of the pain and suffering, she is now going to sue Jet Blue over an ice cream sandwich. So McDonald's can have coffee that's hot, be careful because it is, and then you have ice cream sandwiches that can be too cold. So now probably nobody's going to get an ice cream sandwich on Jet Blue forever because they're afraid of that, or they'll come with a warning label. But so they'll spend thousands of dollars with an attorney to come up with to slap on the side of those to say, if it's too our, you might want to wait a couple of minutes before you enjoyed this ice cream sandwich that most airlines don't give you.
Speaker 1: Well, amen to that, and I will say probably right for a motion for summary judgment on behalf of the airline. That is an open and obvious potential issue with any frozen product. Make sure you don't bite down too hard until you figure out how frozen and hard it is. It's not going to burn you. If you're not going to get frozen, you're not going to get frost bite, so unlike the cup of coffee, which can literally give you a third degree burns. Even though I don't agree with that lawsuit, that is an open and obvious thing that someone should be able to take account of on their own my theory anyway.
Speaker 4: And well, the law question I was going to ask you real quick is if you watch the World Series, you may have seen that fan that took the ball out of Mookie Bets's glove in right field during the World Series. It was fan interference and he was obviously involved. They were escorted out of the stadium. They could have actually injured the player. Oh yeah, My question is this Apparently they have season tickets and we have Brave season tickets, and one of the things that I thought of is how do the Yankees allow those individuals to keep those seats because they've interfered They could have actually injured the player. And if they are allowed to keep those seats and they again interfere with the player where somebody gets hurt already having that prior experience that the Yankees are very aware of. Could the Yankees be liable if a player goes in there and gets hurt by these people that interfered before, And because I'm wondering why the Yankees would not rip those season tickets away from these people after interfering the way they did, wouldn't the Yankees be liable if some player gets hurt by that same individual that the Yankees allowed to keep their seats after already interfering and grabbing and not assaulting. But you know, interfering with a ballplayer.
Speaker 1: My industry action is probably say no, because just because you do a ones doesn't mean you're going to use that as your modus operanda. You're going to be a recidivist interferer with players you're not known to do that did at Once you learn your lesson, you got chucked out of the game. Presumably you're not going to do it again. But maybe what they should do is change their policy to make it obvious by on the back of this of the the ticket or by providing a website governing the rules of conduct at a game and letting you know in advance, you have open knowledge ahead of time that if you do something like that, you will have your tickets forfeitted period and a story and you'll not be allowed to become a season ticket holder ever again. Kind of like getting thrown on a no fly list. The more people that know about it, the more people know about the ramifications for unruly behavior, the more likely people aren't going to engage in it. So maybe a ticket policy.
Speaker 4: So of course alcohol sometimes gets.
Speaker 3: Ah, that never happens, all right, thank you for that.
Speaker 1: Let's close out on hub delays, as is always the case, a.
Speaker 4: Lot of weather moving across the country. We've got Chicago, Houston, Detroit, Minneapolis, Seattle getting hammered by a lot of severe weather today. Some of these delays are in excess of an hour kind of moving across the country. So if you're gonna be flying to or through any of these areas, obviously be prepared for delays. And if you're towards the West coast, you're going to be perhaps seeing some turbulence as you kind of fly over some of these affected areas because it's a big system moving through there. Turbulence isn't dangerous, it's just uncomfortable. So keep your seatbelt fastened about you as you fly that way. You don't kiss the ceiling if you happen to encounter any unexpected turbulence.
Speaker 1: We have had a few stories like that over the years. Jay right left, Love you, brother, passed along the best to your better half, and have a wonderful weekend. Happy Halloween tea, and I'll look forward to next Thursday for another discussion.
Speaker 4: Always so much fun. I appreciate my friend, Thank you, Thanks brother, I do too.
Speaker 1: Five eighth fifty one can buck there see de talk station. Don't go away, be right back.
Speaker 2: It's this