Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app KFI had KOST HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 2: It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy King.
Speaker 3: Good morning. It's five o'clock straight up. Time to get up, get your day started.
Speaker 1: It is Wednesday, April thirtieth, last day of April. I'm telling you we're marching, maybe sprinting toward Christmas.
Speaker 3: No sheer has gone so fast. Yeah, it is a third of it is over. I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app, whether you're listening on the app or the old fashioned way at am six forty, We're happy you're here.
Speaker 3: Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call.
Speaker 1: More than fifty five thousand LA County workers are off the job as they continue at forty eight hour strike.
Speaker 3: The strike is.
Speaker 1: Affecting public works employees, trash collectors, librarians, and non urgent healthcare providers, among others. The two sides have meant for contract negotiations but have not reached an agreement.
Speaker 3: The strike is set to end tonight.
Speaker 1: Residents of a low income and formerly homeless Senior apartment complex in Altadena say they've been basically ignored following the wildfire. They held a rally outside the Mirrador Apartments yesterday. They say they had no help during the fire and in the aftermath the lobby got cleaned, but their apartments are full of soot and ash and smoke. President Trump has celebrated his first one hundred days in office at a rally in Michigan at Macomb Community College north of Detroit. Trump claimed his first one hundred days are the most successful of any administration ever and says he's just getting started. Kfi's White House correspondent John Decker took a ride on Air Force one with the President on his one hundredth day in office. We'll find out about that and take a look at the next one hundred days in just a couple of minutes.
Speaker 3: Looking for a good paying hourly job.
Speaker 1: Well, The host of Rich on Tech, Rich de Murro, is joining us at five point twenty to tell us where you can go to find one. Also Meta launching an AI assistant and one a podcast. AI can help put it together for you. At the bottom of the hour, Amy's on It. I was inspired to watch this show after all of the drama over Dione sanders Son not getting picked until the fifth round of the draft.
Speaker 3: I think you're gonna like it again. That's at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: And then kasa's Reimagine Gala is coming up this weekend. It's a party for a really great cause. KASA helps some of the most vulnerable kids in La County. We're gonna let you know how you can help and have a good time at the same time. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A small group of striking La County workers ended up in handcuffs.
Speaker 4: Yesterday just outside the County administration building in downtown La came in the middle of a forty eight hour strike by the Service Workers Union Local seven to y one. President David Green says the county is not being honest with its offers to union members by pleading poverty.
Speaker 5: It's hard to be conservative with your budget when you're spending seven point eight billion dollars with a b on contracting out of non union labor.
Speaker 6: So we could start there.
Speaker 4: Round twelve union members sat in the road and block traffic. Then the LAPD declared an unlawful assembly. The workers strike is expected to end tonight at seven. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Soccer coach accused of killing a thirteen year old boy from the San Fernando Valley, is due back in court. Mario Garcia Akino made his first appearance earlier this month, but didn't enter a plea that could happen today. Garcia Akino is charged with murder during the commission or attempted commission of alu to act with a child. He's also facing charges of assaulting two other boys. A man has been attacked in Inglewood in what police say appears to be a hate crime.
Speaker 7: Police say the racially motivated attack happened on Tuesday morning. The victim was ambushed and repeatedly punched in the face and in the back of his head before he fell to the ground. Detectives say the suspect was shutting an expletive about Mexicans during the attack.
Speaker 1: Jfis Mark Mayfield says the injured man was left with facial fractures and a cut on one eye. The attacker took off with the man's house keys. A new cost of Living study shows more than one in three households in California cannot afford a decent standard of living. The United Ways of California's Real Cost Measure study shows that to meet basic needs, families need to earn the equivalent of three full time minimum wage incomes. In the last decade, the Real Cost Measure analysis has found the overall percentage of California households unable to meet basic needs has remained stagnant despite the amount of wealth generated in the state. Let's say good morning now to kfi's White House correspondent John Decker. John, you got to be with the president on his one one hundredth day in office.
Speaker 3: Took a trip on Air Force one. Tell us about it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's right. A long day. Yesterday the President traveled out to Warren, Michigan. That's McComb County. It's a county that he won in November. He lost it four years earlier to Joe Biden. But he wanted to celebrate his one hundredth day in office in Michigan and tell the accomplishments that his administration has had amy during the course of the past one hundred days. He spoke for about an hour and twenty minutes, showed a lot of energy and the people that showed up really early to be at that campaign rally. I spoke with a lot of them, and they were so pleased and happy to be there for this particular event. And the President's keeping it going. He is going to have a cabinet meeting today. He'll also meet with some corporate executives, perhaps announced some more investments that those corporate executives our companies will make here in the US. So the pace is continuing at a dizzying pace in the this week that marks his one hundredth day in office.
Speaker 1: Okay, you mentioned that you talked to a bunch of the people who were at that rally. Did you get a chance to ask them how they I know they're excited to be there and be part of it. How they felt about some of the policies, the tariffs, that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Do they agree with them?
Speaker 8: Well, you know, this is anecdotal. You know, keep in mind, I didn't do a poll, but everyone that I spoke to and I did it.
Speaker 2: Ask about that.
Speaker 8: Because of concerns about a slowdown in the economy and increase in inflation as a result of the president's tariff's policy. They believe that in the long term, the president has their back, that the President has America's long term interests at heart when he takes on these policies, even though there could be as the President has acknowledged, some short term pain associated with some of the price increases that we will likely see as a result of those tariffs on so many products coming into the US. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And when you're at those rallies, I mean you said that people were excited. I mean, what does the vibe like. I have only been to one and it was a long time ago. Oh and it's a pretty electric experience, isn't it.
Speaker 8: It really is. You know, I've been to so many of them over the years, you know, going back to twenty fifteen, and while here we are ten years later, they're still going on and still going strong. I think that for some individuals it's an event. And you know, the people that are there are essentially like minded. They're wearing their mega hats, mega shirts, and they're just very happy that President Trump is back in office. You know, they're individuals, some of whom maybe their parents were Reagan Democrats, but they are, you know, for President Trump and his policies. And that shows you how that part of the country anyway, Amy is changing a bit, you know, it's changing from their outlook in terms of who they want as their leadership, not only in the White House, but also for statewide offices as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then on the plane, did you get a chance to talk to the president? Did you do any kind of a gaggle like he does so much so often.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I was disappointed, Amy, he didn't come back to the press cabin, either going out to Michigan or coming back. That was a disappointment. I was certainly counting on that. But I'll tell you a funny story. I was going through you have to go through securities, you can imagine, for Air Force one. And right behind me was doctor Oz, who was on this trip. And I saw doctor Oz and you may recall a few years ago he ran for the US Senate in Pennsylvania. He lost to John Fetterman. Well, I forgot that and I called him senator.
Speaker 2: He got a kick out of it. I think he's a little embarrassed.
Speaker 8: I wasn't intentional, obviously, you know, when I mistakenly called him senator. But he's now a part of the administration, and that's the reason for his trip out with the President on Air Force one yesterday. The President also bringing out with him on Air Force one, Keat Haigseth, the Defense Secretary.
Speaker 2: But we didn't have any visitors to.
Speaker 8: The press cabin yesterday and It'll have to be another trip. But I got two good meals Amy, on Air Force one, so I'm not complaining.
Speaker 3: Okay, what'd you get?
Speaker 8: Oh, they prepared a nice salmon salad for lunch, a nice gake salad for dinner, So no complaints.
Speaker 2: They do a.
Speaker 8: Phenomenal job as it relates to presenting meals to you know, the people that travel on Air Force one, so you can just imagine they have very high standards and they never disappoint.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: A nice little ride on Air Force one. Kfi's White House correspondent, John Decker, thanks so much for the info.
Speaker 2: Have a great day, Thanks Amy, Bye bye.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news room. A lot of UPS workers could be losing their jobs.
Speaker 9: The package delivery service says is looking to slash about twenty thousand jobs and clothes more than seventy facilities as a drastically reduces the amount of Amazon shipments it handles. UPS says it anticipates making the job cuts this year. It could close seventy three leased and owned buildings by the end of June. UPS says it is still reviewing its network and may identify more buildings that need to be shut down.
Speaker 3: Deborah mark Ki five News.
Speaker 1: The La City Council has decided to hold off on voting on a proposal to ban the use of a racial slur and an obsteine term. During council and committee meetings. They're discussing the potential legal fallout from the proposed rule change. A deputy city attorney has said that members must allow the language under the first Amendment. The vote is now set for a six Members of the La City Council Budget Committee say they have tough choices to make with a nearly one billion dollars shortfall. Councilman Tim McCosker says over the next two weeks, the committee will look for ways to address Mayor Bass's proposal to lay off more than sixteen hundred workers.
Speaker 6: We're going to be looking real hard at these sixteen hundred employees who are slated for layoff and working very, very very hard to find offsets wherever we can.
Speaker 1: The committee will continue to host hearings with city departments over the next two weeks. The committee will then make its recommendation to the full Council. A man charged with stabbing his girlfriend of death and Huntington Beach has been convicted. Kfi's Daniel Martindale says it took jurors less than a day to return the guilty verdict yesterday against Craig Sharoon.
Speaker 10: During the trial, three women testified that they were victims of domestic violence and had obtained restraining orders against Tron.
Speaker 1: Prosecutors say the murder, nearly five years ago, was partially captured on voicemail. They say the Air Force veterans stabbed the woman twice in the chest, nearly cut off her nose, and stabbed her in the head so viciously that he bent the knife. More than forty five million people are on alert and in the path of some severe spring weather. Dangerous storms have already left a trail of damage from Missouri to Minnesota. Meteorologist ginger Z says it's more than just severe storms. There are also severe flood threats. We've got to focus on the Southwest and the plains because it's not just the severe thunderstorms.
Speaker 3: Yet, but it's the flash flood threat.
Speaker 1: Oklahoma City, for example, has had their second wettest.
Speaker 3: April on record, she says.
Speaker 1: In Minnesota, a tornado was confirmed as an EF one with winds of at least eighty six miles per hour. A company known for Lady urinals is taking the fruit of its loins to feed the masses.
Speaker 11: For the third year in a row, Pequoal set up its female porta potties at the London Marathon. The difference this year is the company teamed up with another company that's saving the pee to make bread. NPK Recovery says the more than fifty six thousand runners at Sunday's marathon was a veritable gold mine of potential urea, nitrogen and ammonia, all key ingredients in plant fertilizers. The companies say roughly three hundred gallons of urned from the standalone Touch Free Squad and Go Women's urinal pequial toilets at the starting line could fertilize enough wheat for three thousand loaves of bread. Michael Krozer KFI News.
Speaker 3: I don't know how I feel about that? I just lost my desire for breakfast. I don't know, Okay, all right.
Speaker 1: Man from Westminster accused from Slam, accused of slamming his puppy onto the ground, kicking her and dragging her down the street, is pleaded not guilty to a felony charge of animal cruelty. The attack was caught on video in Long Beach last week. Alexander Queva's next court date is May seventh. The puppy continues to recover at Long Beach Animal Care Services. The La County Board of Supervisors has unanimously approved a record four billion dollar settlement for sex abuse victims. The amount will cover the abuse claims made by more than seven thousand victims in the county foster care and probation departments dating back to nineteen fifty nine. New Lakers superstar Luka Doncic is covering the restoring the vandalized mural of Kobe and Gianna Bryant in downtown La. Most of the mural on Main Street, as we've told you about, has been covered with black and white graffiti. A GoFundMe was started requesting five thousand dollars to pay for the restoration. Don Chick's foundation is paying for it. At six o five a handle on the news, China's telling Trump don't expect us to blink anytime soon.
Speaker 3: Let's say good morning now to the host of Rich on.
Speaker 1: Tech on KFI KTLA's tech reporter Rich de Murro.
Speaker 2: Morning, Rich, Good morning to you.
Speaker 6: Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay, I want to talk jobs first because the you know, some people need a job and they don't want like a full time salaried position. They want a good hourly job, and you can help them.
Speaker 12: There new way to find This website called bandana dot com. Interviewed the founder on my radio show, and the idea behind this is there are so many sort of like opportunities out there that lead nowhere, and so he said, look, we want to build a job site for people that are just working class, entry level and the jobs are actually real. So what they've done is they've gone out to all these companies interface directly with their websites on the back end, so they know that the job listings are legit. And the best part is they add a whole bunch of information to the job listings, like the exact location, so you can find stuff in your neighborhood if you don't want to long commute pay range, and they will tell you your estimated taxes and take home pay. Because I don't know about you, Amy, but my first job get those taxes.
Speaker 2: You're like very surprised. Wait a second, what how much?
Speaker 3: I thought I was making this much? And I'm making a third less.
Speaker 2: Than that exactly, and that never ends by the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all right, so it's and it's some decent paying jobs too, it's just for people who want hourly work.
Speaker 12: Yeah, And it's just I think it's just, you know, a lot of these job hunting sites are either focused on, you know, the typical jobs that you would see, like the salary jobs, or if you're looking for a job at say, you know, I'm looking at like jobs at Trader Joe's, jobs at the you know, at the various transit agencies. I mean, there's a whole bunch of them on here. But the reality is a lot of those jobs and those big websites lead nowhere and so here it actually leads to jobs that you could get.
Speaker 1: Very cool Bandana dot com. Okay, well we've got chat GPT, and there's co pilot and now Meta's got its own AI app.
Speaker 12: I find this a little ironic because you know, we understand that AI is a huge competition right now, right every company Chat GBT is the clear leader, Google, Gemini, you've got Microsoft with Copilot, You've got Claude, you've got deep Seak out of China. Meta has their own Meta AI, which they've built into all of their apps. You've probably seen it, you know, when you're on Instagram or whatever. But now they made a standalone AI app so that you can access this even faster. And so it's just called Meta AI and you can download it from the App Store or from Google Play and.
Speaker 2: It's the same thing as CHATCHBT.
Speaker 12: You can talk and generate images or get web results. But I find this interesting because so many people when Meta built this into their apps were like, rich, how do I turn this off? So now it's like, maybe you know what, Amy, I'm gonna be positive here. Maybe they'll give us the option to turn it off in the apps. Now that we have a standalone app, so if you want this, you can go get it, but you can turn it off in like Instagram and Facebook.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping for that, okay.
Speaker 3: But well, I like your optimism yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, well, then tell me about this AI podcast tool that Google has.
Speaker 2: Okay, have you heard of this, this notebook LM.
Speaker 1: No and it okay, yeah, just tell because it sounds like you're just taking all the work.
Speaker 3: Out of work.
Speaker 12: No, no, no, this is this is not this is not replacing you. So this is uh, this is basically notebook LM is Google's sort of smart notebook tools. Started out as an experiment. It's been around for a while, but you basically feed in information. So let's say you're going on let's say you're a student, right and you're taking a class. All your class notes you just dump into this notebook, right, and you can ask questions about those notes, just like you would AI. But it's programmed only on the information that you feed it. But it takes it a level further. You can generate a podcast based on your information that you've uploaded, so these two podcasts hosts will talk about your information.
Speaker 2: It's really cool. It's sort of gone viral.
Speaker 12: It's very popular among students and anyone who's studying stuff, and you can use it for pretty much anything. So for me personally, when I get all my reviewers, guides and things like that, for the products I test, I'll dump it into this notebook, and then these two people will talk about it and it's like you're listening to someone talk about the product, all the features of the product.
Speaker 1: Okay, then here here's my question, because you and I have talked about this a couple of times. How sometimes AI is wrong? So have you found that? Or is it because it's only using your notes? It's what your truth is, see what.
Speaker 12: I'm saying exactly, So that that is the idea. The idea is that it's not going outside of the information that you feed it. So if you feed it your journal, it would just talk about.
Speaker 2: Your journal is really boring? How I doubt it, But that's the thing.
Speaker 12: So that's and of course all AI can hallucinate, It can always make mistakes, but that's the whole idea of this is that you know that this is rooted in your information, so technically it should be more factual. Now here's a super easy way to do this. If you don't want to go into notebook LM, just go to Gemini. Google's Gemini, you know, you can go to their AI, upload a file any like PDF or whatever, and just wait for it to say generate audio overview and then it will generate that podcast asked right from their AI tool. And so it's really fun, like once you try this, you kind of get hooked on it. It's really really fun to hear these people talk about your information.
Speaker 1: Okay, and you're going to dig into this a little bit more at your segment on KTLA this morning.
Speaker 12: Right, Yeah, that's coming up in just a few minutes, or you can get the link on my.
Speaker 2: Website rich on tech dot tv. I'll put it there.
Speaker 12: This is just such a cool little tool to kind of have experiment with AI a little bit.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: It's kfi's tech guy, Rich DeMuro. You can hear him every weekend rich on Tech Saturdays from eleven to two right here on KFI. Of course, you can watch him on KTLA and follow him on Instagram rich on Tech and everything he talks about he puts it on his website, so if you missed it or you're driving or something, you can always go to his website. Check it out. It's rich on tech dot TV. Thank you, Rich DeMuro.
Speaker 2: All right, have a great day.
Speaker 3: All right, talk to you soon.
Speaker 1: A key provision in a child sex trafficking bill making its way through the state Assembly has been removed. The provision would have made it a felony to purchase sex from sixteen and seventeen year olds.
Speaker 12: Child sex trafficking shouldn't be arguable here in the state of California, and yet here we are again.
Speaker 1: California Representative David Tanjipe says trafficking older teens should be a felony, but the bill will proceed without that provision. Senator Shannon Grove authored the original bill and said removing that provision is just completely evil and makes older teens a lot more vulnerable. News brought to you by Simper solaris In over two hundred and thirty cities in the US, a million dollars is only enough for a basic starter home.
Speaker 13: A Zillo analysis reveals as of March, the average price for a starter home has risen significantly the most recent figures compared to just eighty five cities five years ago. Nationally, the average starter home costs just over one hundred and ninety two thousand dollars. California leads the country with one hundred and thirteen cities where a million dollars is typical for a starter home, followed by New York with thirty two cities, New Jersey with twenty cities, and Florida with eleven cities. Mark Ronner KFI.
Speaker 1: News Newsom says the state is fighting back against tariffs imposed by President Trump.
Speaker 5: California was the first state in the country to sue the Trump administration as it relates to his authority on these tariffs. And by the way, I am damn confident we're going to win that and we're going to get clarity on that in the next few weeks.
Speaker 3: Damn confident.
Speaker 1: On his podcast, Newsom spoke with business owners about how the tariffs are affecting them and also about how tariffs impact more than products and groceries.
Speaker 5: Tariffs impact tourism and people don't necessarily connect that dot as easily as they should or as consequentially as they must.
Speaker 3: Newsom says.
Speaker 1: In spite of an ad campaign encouraging Canadians to come visit California, Canadians are upset over the tariffs san Trump's talk about making Canada the fifty first state, They're not visiting as much. The Honda Center in Orange County is getting a one billion dollar makeover.
Speaker 10: Modernization project will take place through twenty twenty seven, with the venue staying open during the work. The nearly thirty two year old Honda Center will be getting three new parking garages with a total of six thousand spaces, a new five story entrance, new suites, new escalators, and new food and beverage spots for fans.
Speaker 1: Kay if I's Daniel Martindale says the project is being paid for by the family that owns the Anaheim Ducks. Family members of a woman shot and killed by police at the end of a car chase in Guardina have called for an independent investigation. Police say Alexandre at Cordoba pulled out a gun during a brief standoff with police on April fifteenth. The families demanding bodycam and dashboard cam footage be released, along with dispatch audio. Inglewood police are looking for a person who ambushed and repeatedly punched a guy. They're calling it a hate crime. The attack happened Tuesday morning. Detectives say the attacker was shouting racial slurs against Mexicans during the assault. The man attacked has multiple face fractures and a gash on his eye. President Trump says he had a good call with Amazon founder Jeff Bezos about Amazon's apparent plan to display the amount tariffs increase the price of an item on its website. Amazon has said that plan was never approved and would not be happening at six.
Speaker 3: So five is handled on the news.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Amazon, UPS is not going to be doing as much business with Amazon, and that's going to lead to losing twenty thousand jobs.
Speaker 3: We're gonna tell you more about that. Amy's on it, AMI's on it, AMI's on it, Aami's on it. What am I on?
Speaker 1: I'm on the stream movies, documentaries, TV shows, you name it. There's a whole lot of it. And how do you sift through it? Well, I get recommendations from friends, and I watch stuff and then I give recommendations back to you, hopefully help you make some good decisions and see just really good stuff, not always brand new stuff.
Speaker 3: So this one this week is was.
Speaker 1: I was inspired to watch it after watching some of the NFL Draft, which I have to tell you, the NFL Draft is not very exciting in my humbold pay.
Speaker 3: And I'm a football fan anyway, So you know.
Speaker 1: Cam Ward went number one, and he was humble and he was gracious, and I love football and it's in this wonderful and you're like yeah. And then Dion Sanderson was supposed to go pretty high in the draft didn't go to the fifth round, and I was like, there was a movie about this and I remember liking it.
Speaker 3: And it's called Draft Day. Oh have you seen it?
Speaker 1: Clo Shrepper, No, okay, And it stars Kevin Costner, Wow, and Jennifer Garner.
Speaker 2: How old is it?
Speaker 3: Uh? Will you google it for me?
Speaker 1: I forgot to write that down anyway, It's called Draft Day and Kevin Costner plays the GM of the Cleveland Browns, so they used real team names. He plays Sonny Weaver Junior, his dad twenty fourteen. His dad has just died. The weight of the world is on his shoulders, of course, because his team is about to fail and he needs to get it back on track and make the best pick in the draft for the future of the team, to save Cleveland and all that stuff. His girlfriend, his girl, Friday, who's also a huge football person, reminds me of Shannon Farren, like knows everything about football. Jennifer Garner, She's fabulous. Chadwick Boseman is in this movie. He is one of the draftees. He's got a rather big mouth and a very big heart. He plays Vonte Mack and at one point, Kevin Costner's character Sonny Weaver Junior is talking to Vonte Mack and says, there's gonna be a lot of ups and downs today during this draft day. You're just gonna have to find the fun in it. And boy, were there ups and downs. There's the injured quarterback who's trying to get back in the game. There's the hot shot expected to go number one or up at the top, which reminded me of Dean Sanderson. There's the father's son dynamic for the dad who plays in Cleveland and his son who wants to be a Cleveland Brown. And there's the new coach who wants to be a superstar. And there's the owner threatening to fire Sonny. And you find this all out in like the first five minutes. So I'm not telling you anything that you're not going to discover right away. Sonny is right. There are ups and downs. There are ins and outs and trades and searching to figure out who's the right pick. And then to make it interesting because it's a lot of you know, phone calls and inner workings and a lot of talk talk talk, and what should we do and who should we pick and who should we trade and blah blah blah. They intersperse it with football footage, so you get a split screen of them showing football, like they talk about Joe Montana at some point, and then they show you, like Joe Montana running a play or something, so they keep it more visually interesting along with it. It all happens in the twelve hours and forty minutes leading up to the draft and then into the draft. And I gotta admit it's a football movie, but I'll be darned if I didn't tear up a few times like it was good.
Speaker 3: It was good, And if you love football, it's a good watch.
Speaker 1: If you don't like football, or you don't know that much about it but are kind of interested, it's a fun insight into draft day.
Speaker 3: And I'm guessing that.
Speaker 1: A lot of this stuff happens sure like what happens in the movie. And if you've already seen the movie, it's worth another watch. I hadn't seen it for obviously a few years because it's an older movie. If you haven't seen it, give it a look. I'm on it, and I think you should be too. It's called Draft Day. It's streaming on Netflix, and it is a movie, not a series, so it just takes a couple of hours and it's a fun one nice Okay. Time to get in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho.
Speaker 3: Morning, Courtney, good morning. How are we today?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 1: I'm good because we're going to talk about oreos, oh of course, but not so good news.
Speaker 3: I'm going to make you sad about this. Okay, I'll give you something happier later about this, okay. Bucks, So shoppers.
Speaker 14: Are coming back on their snacks. Mondalize, which is the company behind the Oreo cookie maker. They make roots crackers too. They are seeing shoppers prioritizing meat, veggies, and eggs over a lot more indulgent items like snacks. So lower income shoppers are switching to smaller packages. Higher income consumers are opting for larger value packs. So Mandalize is saying that consumers are demonstrating a lot of frustration with the prices that they're so they're trying to launch more affordable products to match what shoppers are willing to pay. But I mentioned Starbucks because we'll stick with the whole food theme. They say that they're making progress on a turnaround plan, but they did have weaker than expected earnings. This is amping up the pressure on management to deliver something because they've been trying to slim down their menu and overhaul their cafes too, to make them a lot more welcoming.
Speaker 1: Well, and they just did that like a month or two ago. Doesn't that kind of stuff take time?
Speaker 3: Wall Street doesn't.
Speaker 1: Wait, I know we can see that from these two thousand point swings that we're seeing.
Speaker 14: Exactly instant gratification, but sales last quarters acline one percent. And one of the things that they're also doing, they're working to speed up service. They're hiring more workers at its stores, and they also have this new algorithm which prioritizes drinks, which drinks to make first, and they say that's actually speeding up service. They're seeing drinks go out the door in two minutes, so that's that's a good move for them. So it does take time, and we have to be patient with Brian Nichol, but he has Brian Nichol, who's the CEO. He came from Chipotle before, and he took Chipotle from this much smaller company to this enormous organization that's doing quite well and has good exactly. So that's what a lot of investors are hoping. He's going to come in and instantly shake things up.
Speaker 1: Okay, And I don't I don't want to belabor this Oreo Cookies thing, but you made me think of it because you're saying they're cutting back on snack purchases. But doesn't that have to do with ozampic two.
Speaker 14: Yeah, that is one of the things too. But they have been saying, you know what, a lot of shoppers are going in, They're looking at the prices and saying.
Speaker 3: No way, I'm not spending this money.
Speaker 14: I mean, I can even see that when I take my kids shopping and we're going down the cookie aisle and the snack aisle and they're like, Mom, we want this, we want this chip, we want that. And I said, guys, you got to prioritize what you want. And I'm sure sure a lot of other families are doing that most time, especially with all the economic uncertainty.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and speaking of uncertainty, as I mentioned, the stock markets still seeing some wild swings up. But yesterday SMP did Okay, Yeah, the.
Speaker 14: S and P five hundred saw its best six days since March twenty twenty two. So traders were shrugging off disappointing earnings from the likes of Ups and General motors, and that's why we're seeing stocks higher. But we just got a report that kind of is shaking up things this morning. We got the report on GDP and the economy slowed dramatically over the last quarter. So it showed a gross domestic product decreased three tenths of a percent, well below the average growth of about three percent in the prior two years. So this is why we are seeing stocks taking a bit of a hit right now. In the pre market, it was a change. We were a little changed for most of the morning, but after that report, the Dow right now is down three hundred and thirty points, the S and P five hundred falling seventy points at this point.
Speaker 1: All right, that's your business with Bloomberg's Courtney, donaho. Let's do it again tomorrow, same time, Kay, No doubt about it. See you later, thanks, Courtney. Okay, bye bye. Just getting worded in the Ukrainian officials say Kiev is ready to sign a much anticipated mineral resources deal with the US that's expected to happen today. About fifty five thousand LA County employees are on strike until seven o'clock tonight. The workers' union met with LA County leaders about their contract, but no deal was reached. Tens of thousands of striking workers marched through the streets of downtown LA yesterday. About a dozen blocked a roadway and got arrested. In one hundred thirteen cities in California, a million dollars is just enough to get you into a starter home. An analysis by Zillo shows the average price for a starter home is up significantly. Nationally, a starter home averages one hundred ninety two thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's quite a bit more.
Speaker 1: Here, hey, Today the Dodgers are taking on the Marlins at Dodgers Stadium, with the first pitch going out at New oh I love a day game. Listen to all the Dodger games on AM five seventy LA Sports live from the Galpin Motors broadcast booth. You can stream all the Dodgers games in HD on the iHeartRadio app. Keyword is AM five seventy LA Sports. Okay, we were supposed to be talking to a representative from CASA.
Speaker 3: CASA.
Speaker 1: At this time, we're having trouble connecting with them, but I still want to tell you about this. It's called the Reimagine Gala and it is one of kasa's largest fundraising events for the whole year. And I learned about KASA when my well, I knew my parents were sort of involved in it, but when my dad passed away, they said, hey, you know what, instead of flowers and that kind of stuff, make donations to KASA. And I was like, wow, you know, like that's what mom and dad had worked out. And pretty amazing what these people do because it's.
Speaker 3: Not like one of those few good groups.
Speaker 1: I mean, like these are court appointed special advocates. They help kids who don't have someone to have their back.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, and some of these kids come from horrific backgrounds and circumstances and they need a person to be there and a person that they can trust, and a person that is going to go to bat for them in court. So it's a really really important organization and they're doing their big gala. It's on May second, and if you're interested, you can go out have a great time. They've got some people from TV shows and celebrities. And I'm bummed that our guest wasn't able to join us today because she would have much more information. But I would love for you to go and check it out if you're at all interested at KASA La c A s A LA dot org slash gala. And again they're raising money so they can help children who don't have anyb to help them. They're kids who are in the foster system or they've been removed from their homes. Some of them have been horrifically abused, some of them just got a raw deal and they The other thing that Costa does is they take volunteers and they train them very heavily and very thoroughly to make sure that they're prepared to take care of these not take care of them. They don't. They don't house them or foster them, but they do. They go to court for them and they make sure that they get what they need and really important work. So and they're always needing volunteers. So if you are interested in volunteering some time you want to do something really great.
Speaker 3: Costs is a great organization.
Speaker 1: It is a four to oh one c and the money goes where it needs to go, and that's to the kids. There are twenty two thousand children in the LA foster care system and over a thousand children in foster care get ongoing advocacy from costs of volunteers every year. So it's big work, important stuff.
Speaker 8: And even for.
Speaker 2: Adults, courts are just so overwhelming.
Speaker 13: Yeah, the technicalities and just the it's stark in there, and yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Need someone to help you navigate the system. And can you imagine trying to do that when you're a kid and you don't know anything and you're like you've been pulled out of your home or you know, for an custody stuff, or you're in foster care or something. So this is again a great organization that Kasas Reimagine Gala is happening on May second, that's this Friday night. You can still get tickets Casa La dot did I Say or dot org slash Gala or if you're interested in volunteering, same website. Okay, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. People in Pacific Palisades say they are concerned about controlled burns in the area being done by the ATF because the reservoirs dry, but have faith in the fact that they wouldn't do this if they weren't prepared. The first burn was done last night. The controlled fire test is being done in a neighborhood near the Skull Rock trail head to help figure out what sparked the Palisades fire in January. The test is expected to run through tomorrow. LA's financial challenges may change the way the city addresses issues like homelessness.
Speaker 4: The City council Budget Committee has weighed in publicly for the first time on Mayor Bass's proposed budget. Councilman Timcoscar says, with more than sixteen hundred layoffs on the table and a billion dollars shortfall, maybe it's time to rethink issues like homeless funding.
Speaker 6: But I think we have to ask ourselves of this moment, with everything, all of the shapes shifting in front of us, we have to ask ourselves in a moment, where are we and where are we going with all of this.
Speaker 4: He suggested that homeless funding is technically a county issue. The Budget Committee continues its hearings with city departments over the next two weeks. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: The La City Council has taken a step to make it cheaper for Hollywood to make movies and shows in the city. Councilwoman Adrian Nazarian says the entertainment industry has been fleeing California and leaving its workforce vulnerable.
Speaker 13: Simply put, this is about protecting middle class workers and also the very industry that established Los Angeles on the world map.
Speaker 1: City staff has been instructed to report back in thirty days with the plan to reduce permit fees, ease regulations around security and parking, and make it easier to build soundstages. State lawmakers are considering an expansion of California's film tax credit program. California Governor Newsom says the state will improve government services with artificial intelligence.
Speaker 5: Yes, aided by another executive order, but now it's happening, and it's happening at a scale again not happening in any other state in the country.
Speaker 1: Newsom says the state is working with several AI partners to reduce traffic on highways, enhance safety on the roads, and improve customer service at state call centers. Newsom says the initiative is a first in the nation. This is KFI and KOSTHD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Live from the KFI twenty.
Speaker 3: Four hour newsroom.
Speaker 1: The whole gang is back for producer and and technical producer Kno Thank God You're feeling better, and traffic specialist Will I'm Amy King.
Speaker 3: This has been your wake up call.
Speaker 1: If you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.