Speaker 1: Under countries are screwing it up. Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals. They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here?
Speaker 2: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick Coffee?
Speaker 3: All right, let's get it started.
Speaker 4: Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome in to a Friday edition of Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety as we close out another week here, get your set for the weekend. I feel like it's a big weekend. I mean, I would say that even if I didn't think it was a big weekend.
Speaker 3: But I'm just gonna go ahead and get it out there. Right now.
Speaker 4: We are one minute and thirteen seconds into being live here, and I'm really worried about tomorrow's game. I'm not going to be the guy that's saying, like I predict a loss, because one that would be a terrible way to start the show. And I've never been big on giving predictions. In fact, it's, you know, because I'm well aware that whatever I like, nobody has a clue, right. I Mean there's certain games where you know, hey, whenever a big time favorite has taken on a big time underdog. You know the result is likely going to be a big win for the favorite. But like as far as like you know, hey, what's your prediction, what's your score? Like, it's just never really been my thing because if I could, if I gave you a number, meaning a score, and a scenario how it finishes, I don't think I'd be able to sell you, you know what I mean, Like you would you would you would know that as I'm sharing with you my prediction that I'm just guessing and we all are, and I can't do it very convincingly because you know, it wouldn't be genuine. So I've never been real big on like, hey, here's what's gonna happen, here's the score, here's how we got there. But with Louisville Virginia tomorrow, I'm scared. Not that I'm scared of Virginia because they're not a scary team. I mean, they're in a pretty good spot here and we can certainly discuss, you know, the matchup. We're going to talk to Alex Kupper coming up here at three point thirty, and I'm really interested in hearing his thoughts on how Louisville is here with losses that you know aren't terrible as far as you lost to, but how they lost and just how sloppy they've been. It's been a big conversation, as you could expect, but the lack of communication on defense. At one point you had fourteen guys on the field on defense.
Speaker 3: Like, I'm just.
Speaker 4: Curious if Cup can give us some perspective and like how that could ever happen? Like how can a team be so disorganized and have such an issue with communication? And he may not have the answer, but we're at least gonna ask him. He's gonna join his coming up at three thirty. So again, I'm not here to say, hey, I'm predicting a Louisville loss. Everybody prepare for the ultimate melt down from the fan base to lose three in a row and drop to three and three on the season, because I'm not here to tell you that I think that's what's going to happen. But I am comfortable enough to at least say, given the last two weeks, kind of given where Louisville is right now as a team and where Virginia is and knowing they're at home, like I'm I'm worried. I'm worried, and it's not because I think Louisville is terrible. I mean, that's what makes it even more frustrating is that I think they if they just come out more prepared, avoid the avoidable mistakes, have a better led defense as far as you know, scheme, execution, game plan, all that kind of stuff, then I think they're probably sitting at five and zero. And if they were five and oh, I guess the Notre Dame wind would be would be notable. But of course people would still bring up the fact that, well, Northern Illinois just did the same thing two weeks before and SMU, even though at this point it's you know, I don't think you can call that like a bad loss, as if you lost to a terrible team. But you know, I thought we were I thought we were at a point where you just didn't think you'd be losing many home conference games. And you got Miami coming to town next week and SMU despite them having I mean, they've got momentum right now, they're on a roll. But still like that was not a game. I don't think many expected Louisville to just come out and lose. So tomorrow three thirty Louisville in Virginia. It's not a big game in the grand scheme of things for the college football world and the slate that we have on Saturday. But it's just a weird situation because you win here, there's not a whole lot to gain. I mean, you're beating a team that you feel like every year you should just beat because you are better. But they've always given you trouble in certain spots that you know, they've been the head scratching opponent for Louisville the ACC. You know, overall, they've they've not been very good since Louisville's been in the ACC, but they've either beat Louisville in years where you know Louisville was down, or they play them close when they're not good in Louisville is and that happened last year. I mean twenty sixteen, Louisville needed a big time play from Lamar Jackson to Jalen Smith to avoid a big time upset. They gave Bobby his first ACC loss back in twenty fourteen. And I've never been somebody that believes what you see like trends are real, meaning you can track them right, Like, hey, this team's lost eight of nine to this opponent over twenty years.
Speaker 3: But I've never.
Speaker 4: Believed that it actually has anything to do Like whatever happened against Virginia last year, whatever happened against Virginia six years ago, has nothing to do with what's going to take place tomorrow. At least that's what I believe, But I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong. So again, it's not a big game. It's a game you should just win, and if you do, we'll say, hey, they avoided a three game losing streak. A win should give them some confidence, even though it's a game they were supposed to win. But a loss here would be I mean, I think it would be devastating. I mean, fans are already upset and disappointed with the record and knowing that, like, it's not really seemingly a talent issue when you play, you know, That's what I think. Maybe I shouldn't speak for anybody but myself, but I don't think louis a lost in Notre Dame because Notre Dame just has players you can't account for. You can't line up against those guys and make winning plays. I mean, Notre Dame typically is a program that would have a superior advantage there when it comes to talent, but I didn't see that in South Bend. And then last week. I give SMU a lot of credit because if you were objectively watching that game, without knowing anything about either team or either coach, you would just say that SMU is better. So you know you just got beat, but you also just are in a position defensively with your lack of organization making silly mistakes to where you know, if you'd have just tightened up a little bit, you'd probably end up winning that game. So tomorrow, in a weird way, I don't want to be dramatic within the first seven minutes of the show, and certainly I'm not doing it for effect, Like I don't you know, I don't want to turn this into Hey, everybody, let's be on the edge of our seats for the next three hours as we anxiously wait to see if we lose to Virginia and the season's washed. But you know I'm not trying to do that. I'm just being honest with you. Tomorrow, I feel like whatever happens will be a big time factor in the morale, the energy of this fan base, because again, a win, what it does there is at least you know, you've avoided the three game losing streak. You've reminded yourself as a team that, hey, you know, we can't win games against acc competition, and then you try to really get right against Miami. Easier said than done. But they're gonna be coming off a bye week. They've avoided two losses that easily could have gone the other way, and they could have been you know, they could have lost. But I think a loss here would get us to the point where fans are kind of just accepting, hey, we're halfway through and this thing has been wildly underwhelming, and we have not even played the best teams on our schedule yet. I mean, if you're three and three after six games and you still have Clemson on the road, Miami at home, Kentucky on the road, I mean, I think a lot of fans, potentially, you know, would be valid in saying, like, yeah, the season at this point, I'm still gonna watch, I'm still gonna go to games, I'm still gonna cheer for them. But we're halfway through, and at this point it's already kind of a I'm already underwhelmed. I hope they win as many games as possible, but this has been kind of it as based off of, you know, what expectations were, So let's not let that happen.
Speaker 3: Let's not lose.
Speaker 4: I mean, we have no control meeting myself and Austin who's producing today, Like we're not going to have an impact on the game.
Speaker 3: We know that.
Speaker 4: But I just really hope they can avoid a loss tomorrow, because you win, it's just what you're supposed to do to kind of get yourself set up for a big opportunity against Miami. You lose, and I you know, I just think you'll see this fan base in a way that they probably never felt like they'd be in with Jeff Brown. Not to say that they expected to go ten in two every year, but you know, losses to Virginia, those aren't Those aren't supposed to happen, and they shouldn't happen, and I hope they don't. I hope it doesn't happen tomorrow. And even losses to the last two teams that beat you, it's not like, how the hell did that happen?
Speaker 3: This is the biggest surprise ever.
Speaker 4: But to see how it happened, and to see what is keeping you from being able to hold on and win these games is just super disappointing. So tomorrow they got a chance to, you know, avoid this losing streak and or three game losing streak and get right. But I'd be a liar if I said I had a lot of confidence in it. But again, I don't want you to think that. I'm just saying, hey, everybody, prepare for a loss. I'm just going to say this. If we end up getting to the postgame show tomorrow, which will start as soon as the game ends right here on Sports Talk seven ninety, and we are reacting to a loss, I'm not sure I'm going to be that stunned. I'm not going to be that surprised because in games against you know, legitimate competition, and maybe Virginia in your eyes, is not a legitimate team, that's scary. They're they're not Jacksonville State, they're not Austin P And in games against teams that aren't Austin P and Jacksonville State, Louisville has put themselves in positions to lose to any of these other teams, and they've lost two of those three games, So I'm hoping they can. You know, I'm hopeful, That's what I am. I'm hopeful, But I just it hit me last night when I on my flight back from Charlotte, kind of getting back into football mode after a very busy couple of days. When it comes to basketball, you know, I think they'll win, but I'm not gonna be that. You know, to know that, I you know, and I can only speak for myself, and maybe you guys feel completely different, and that's fine, but to know that, like if they lose to Virginia, I can't say that I'm stunned is a real disappointment. And also it's kind of a scary thing because like it may have been like the first step in me as a fan realizing, oh yeah, this this isn't this is nowhere near what we thought we were going to get this year. But again, a win there sets you up for a big opportunity next week. And if you can somehow win tomorrow and then win next week against Miami, who knows what that, you know, you're still going to be in a tough spot when it comes to like the acc but that'll at least give you a lot of confidence as you hit the last half of your schedule. But again tomorrow three point thirty Louisville and Virginia. We'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: I was gonna ask, are you a big You may not be, but are you big? Like sports superstitious guy like you got to sit on like the same couch, where the same socks, because I always feel that I have that effect on my sports teams, like maybe and maybe the cards or the vikings will catch when that I'm still sitting in the same spot or I'm still wearing the same underwear from the win last week. Have you ever is that ever crossed your mind in your fandom at all?
Speaker 4: I'm glad you asked that, because I've never really believed in it. But I'm such a die hard fan and such a lunatic when it comes to watching my teams play Louisville of course, being the main one that like I've thought about Okay, Like, hey, I don't believe in it, but I'll do it with you guys, right, Like we are we burned? Are we burn in sage? Are we bringing out Grandpaul's old letterman jacket?
Speaker 3: Like it's right?
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't believe it, but like anything that could potentially like put it this way, I don't believe it, but I'm willing to acknowledge I could be wrong. So, like if somebody was encouraging me to, hey, go back to the seat you were sitting in in the first quarter or whatever, like I may, I may do it, but I would be a phony to say like that you actually believe that has an impact. And I think more often than not, when you're in that spot trying to like bring in some kind of a superstitious thing to reverse momentum to go your way, isn't that like the ultimate sign of desperation that you realize like you're screwed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm a desperate man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've never I've never been big on it, but that's you know, I'll try it, Like, hey, if they're like if I gotta you know, if I gotta wear like that leather helmet that Jeff Brown wore when they beat Georgia Tech last year in Atlanta, every day for the rest of the season, even at work, even at you know, everywhere, like I will, like, I'm not I'm not against it. I'm not telling people they're wrong. I just have never truly believed in that kind of power from you know, a superstitious spot. But again, I'll try anything you fit if it avoids a loss to Virginia.
Speaker 3: I'll i'll uh.
Speaker 4: I mean, look, you would you would agree with me, Austin. You're a fan of Louisville in a major way, but you certainly lean maybe none of the I don't know. I don't want to put I don't want to speak for you. But are you more of a pessimist?
Speaker 2: Oh no, I'm very oh yeah, yeah, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm very much pessimate the whole world is falling if if one thing goes wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, so you know, and I thought that was the case. And the reason I bring it up is because you know, like, I'm not saying they're gonna lose. I'm I'm just preparing myself that if they do, Like, let's not act as if we didn't see some signs and they haven't shown us that they're vulnerable to lose to anybody with the way they play with their mistakes and this kind of stuff. But given that you are sort of on that side of like the world's ending, and you know, you said it, not me, So I'm not trying to frame you in a way that that isn't legitimate. But like a loss tomorrow, I think as much as we've already had a lot of fans upset, disappointed, expressing frustration, and by the way, I think all the frustration and the criticism has been justified, but I think that goes up five notches if they lose tomorrow, Like I think it's it's it's you know, I don't want to say we're gonna ever be toxic again like we once were with some previous coaches around here, with both football and basketball. But you know, there were real expectations here this year. This wasn't like, hey, honeymoon Jeff Bram, We'll see what happens. He did a good job building a roster. We're just happy Sadderfield's gone and Brom's our guy, Like Brom is our guy, we love him. But this year, you know, I think there were more expectations than than last year. And that's one of the question. That's one of the things that I can't really like I don't know the answer to, and it's really just however each individual fan feels. But I'm aware that they could have easily lost many of the games they won last year. But I'm not going to look at that and say, well, you know what, now we're getting. Now we're getting it's evening out because if you really look at what's like the things that are going again that are you know, that are hurting this team in a major way, weren't there last year.
Speaker 3: Like last year it was just hey, you're right there.
Speaker 4: It's you know, you know, you put yourself behind ten points for whatever reason, or this dribe is super crucial because it's likely gonna determine who wins the game. You were just in close games for whatever reason. You didn't have like a lot of room for error. Last year, you had a quarterback that was subpar, and you know that at times can really hurt you. And occasionally you'd play a team that really found a way to you know, take advantage of some weaknesses that you have. But you were just in close games and you found ways to win. This year, they're in close games, desperate to find ways to win because they've shot themselves in the foot a bunch of times. So like, I you know, again, fan how you want to fan, you with the way you want to view it, But I'm not somebody that's like, well, you know what, I guess this is just our luck. You know, we got we had a lot of break scar away last year and now this is just us getting the other end of it. I mean again, I tell you to feel the way you want to feel, and here I am mocking you if you feel that way. But like, if you really go back and look at last year and this year, the issues we're seeing was with the you know, the miscommunication defensively, just not being organized penalties even like.
Speaker 3: That wasn't there last year.
Speaker 4: But would you agree though like lost tomorrow would be you know, I want act like it's the end of the world, but I think you'll see a lot of fans start to say, hey, I'm gonna pull for him, but this season's already washed.
Speaker 2: I already put myself on the pessimistic side just so I can always feel pleasantly surprised when it goes the other way, and even just just.
Speaker 3: Kind of prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and just going back to the superstition thing. Not as much for me as I was when I was like a little kid, and I'm still a diehard fan now, but just as an adult I've just more or less went off vibes, either like the day before or like the day of, and I just kind of feel that pit of my stomach. That's where I just kind of went away from the All right, Austin, it doesn't matter if you're wearing the same shirt during last week's winning out, whatever is gonna happen.
Speaker 3: So you are a superstitious guy.
Speaker 2: I definitely was, And you know, after going to games and stuff like that, I just found out it doesn't really matter where I sit or what kind of towel that I'm waving. But I just know from the last two weeks, I just felt the weird feeling in the pit of my stomach against Notre Dame and then especially it was even intensified last week when we had that game.
Speaker 5: So it I just don't know. It's it's just more or less off vibes.
Speaker 2: And and to be honest with you, I mean to spoil anything now, but I still have like not that great of a feeling for tomorrow's game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think having you know, not a great feeling, I mean, I think that's understandable just considering like what we've seen and there are some and in you know this is this is a battle I try not to get in because I do understand, like there's no need to have, you know, a screaming match with people who see it the other Like if you're a fan, you say, well, no, I'm a that's my team, those are my cards. So hell yeah, I'm gonna say that that I think they're gonna win.
Speaker 3: Well, like again, do you But that's just like they could be.
Speaker 4: They could have lost every game for five straight seasons with that mindset, and you would still say, you know what, we got Bama this weekend, we got Georgia, we got Ohio State, But you know what, I think my cards are gonna win. And look, God bless you for having that love and that confidence, because you know that's because you care so much and you love them and I do too. But you know, I'm also gonna be real and be honest with myself. It's kind of what I'm supposed to do. So again, as much as it probably sounded like a very negative way to start the show when it comes to football, one of the things that makes this so irritating is that I don't think Louisville would have even had to have played that much better to be sitting here at five and oh. And if they would have come out this season and not had some of these issues that they've had now five weeks into the season, they'd not only be five and oh, they'd probably be talked about as a team that people should really be keeping an eye on. And that just feels like a big missed opportunity five games in.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: When I say big missed opportunity, I guess I'm, you know, acknowledging that, yeah, they've they've probably already kind of shot themselves in the foot when it comes to the playoff. But I will maintain what I've said throughout the week here. I'm never going to be somebody that says, if Louisville doesn't make the playoff and the seasons of failure, I think that's just silly, because even though the playoff has expanded to twelve and the ability to get there is totally different for everybody that's in a power for a league like I just think if that's the bar, that's you're gonna be very disappointed more often than not. And that's just not realistic for Louisville. I mean, like, let's be real, who we are as a program, you know, So three thirty tomorrow, that's when they're that's when they're going to kick it off. And this is probably as I don't want to say excited, but this is I mean, I I'm eager. I'm as eager as I've been all year to just watch what this team does, see how they respond here and what I believe is a very crucial part of the season. So again, we'll have pregame coverage starting tomorrow at two thirty. It's the Louisville Football Pregame Show presented by Pellow Windows and Doors of Central Kentucky and Jefferson Animal Hospital. And then as soon as it kicks off at three thirty, I guess soon as soon as it ends, it will kick off at three thirty, but as soon as it ends, we'll go live here for the Louisville Football Postgame Show presented by Alex Rowhite Lawyers to Distracted Driver dot Com.
Speaker 3: So tune in.
Speaker 4: You know, we've had NonStop call or interaction for the last two weeks, and that typically happens coming off of losses. But I'm hopeful that it's a big win tomorrow and we're trying to you know, get the momentum going within the fan base to get excited for next week, which, hey, having a win this week would be much better than having a loss, considering you've got a big opportunity next week against Miami, who again they've been vulnerable. They've shown that they could have easily lost these last two games, but they didn't, so maybe that means they're doing Louisville can take advantage. But we shall see, all right, before we get to our first break again, Alex Scupper is going to join us coming up here on the other side, we'll talk some more Louisville football. Also, basketball season is is, you know, it's almost here, and I'm still kind of in football mode.
Speaker 3: But also I just got back from Charlotte.
Speaker 4: From the ACC tip off, and you know, I kind of want to share some belated thoughts, if you will, when it comes to just you know, the overall vibe of the conference right now and the perception that you know that that the league has about Louisville and Pat Kelcey because you know, I I'm sure it's just because of you know, the overall experience in Charlotte for the media days. But I'm excited about basketball season and I you know, I really think this team has a chance to be pretty damn good and that that has me excited. Also, Kentucky's got big blue madness tonight. If you have not seen the new like led system that they now have on their court, I'll admit it. It's the coolest thing I've ever seen. It's amazing. I'm jealous. I don't know of any other college program that has a court like that. I think they did it for the NBA All Star Game last year, but I saw that. Yeah, I saw the promotional stuff for it as soon as they announced they were doing it, and then they put out a video of Mark Pope out there on the court with all the lights. I mean it it, dude, it looks cool as hell. And I'm kind of jealous because I am jealous, But like I feel like the old fogies that sit, you know, behind the bench, that you know, don't get up for anything at rup, like they're not deserving of that atmosphere that's like a nightclub with you know, a full house of college basketball fans, and you know, I don't know. I just I'm jealous, that's what it is. I'm just jealous because it looks cool as hell. I've been able to say, like rup is you know, it's a historic arena usually when they have big games, great atmosphere, but we've been able to kind of say the young centers nicer and cooler, and it's an NBA arena, it's more modern.
Speaker 3: But what they just did here with these lights like that was that was it was awesome.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm watching it right now. He's pretty neat.
Speaker 3: How cool is that?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I could have swore I thought Duke did something like that a couple of years ago, but I know it was. I know it was made big last year, like you said, during all start thinking, so I could have sworn I saw some sort.
Speaker 5: Of cram court design.
Speaker 3: Camon's a dump.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree. I've never been there though.
Speaker 4: Oh I went, and I was you know, it's one of those venues you know, kind of reminds me of the old Notre Dame before they made their renovations. Yeah, you can call it historic, you can call it like a bucket list trip, but like, let's not let's not let's not muddy it up when it comes to describing something as historic when it's just old as hell and musty.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean like you might be giving them too much technological credit, but.
Speaker 3: Like if they did it, then cool.
Speaker 4: But like what I what what I've seen Kentucky promoting with their court it It's something I've never seen before and I'm jealous.
Speaker 5: CBN does it better.
Speaker 3: I mean he said it, not me, folks, they don't know your sarcasm radar yet all come together.
Speaker 5: I guess not. I guess you know, maybe you were being sarcastic.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Maybe maybe we're being invaded.
Speaker 2: No, no, I haven't been taken over by a big blue demon yet.
Speaker 3: Good. I don't want that to happen.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: They've got Vandy tomorrow, which is typically like the the throwaway game for them in SEC play, but Vandy's coming off a big win. I think Kentucky wins this thing without much trouble, and I'm just like, you know, you see their quarterback launching his new podcast with a big nil sponsor, and I'm like, look, Vandy beating Bama was great, but this ain't sustainable. Like they're still not gonna go to a bowl, yeah, bandy, And like it'll all be looked at as like the ultimate fluke, which doesn't mean Clark Lee's not a good coach, but like Vandy, I don't blame him for trying to capitalize in every way on what's going on here with this huge upset. But like they're gonna get pounded tomorrow probably, and I wouldn't be shocked if, like it just turns to everybody making fun of Alabama again, Like I think that's what's probably gonna happen.
Speaker 3: But we got to get to a break.
Speaker 4: We'll talk to Alex Cupper coming up here on the other side, former Louisville cardinal, get his thoughts on this Louisville team as they are head scratchingly three and two with issues I just didn't think we'd see this year. But don't go anywhere. It's a Friday edition of Coffee and Company. We are fuel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: That's right a Friday afternoon here, Coffee and Company Fueldbuth Thornton's taking you up until six o'clock, getting you set for the weekend. Thanks for hanging out with us. Don't forget you could take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app listen live at seven to ninety Louisville dot com. And now joining us to talk some Louisville football is the one and only mister Alex Cupper, former Louisville Cardinal cup I'll ask you this when it comes to the issues we've seen with this team, lack of community, just communication issues. Defensively, guys just kind of looking confused out there at all times. Twelve sometimes fourteen men on the field. I mean, if they could easily fix it, I feel like they would have done it already. But as a former player, when you see that, like I mean, are you you you're probably more puzzled than any of us because you don't see that happening a lot of other places.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it's not really, I mean a couple of the errors have been just it's you're in the same personnel. There's just the wrong I guess the wrong body that you you know you thought you were going to have.
Speaker 3: What does that mean?
Speaker 6: So at same position, So same position. It's not like you were making a personnel change, like hey, we're going to take a big guy off and bring another little guy on. So we're gonna get we're e they're going to get bigg or we're gonna get small. That's typically the only way you go, right. So it's it is, it is, you're in the same personnel group. It's just the wrong person I guess that you had in there, and that stuff's handled on the bench, you say, you know every time. And offensive line was really easy because unless you were making a substitution, like you were going to get a run from, you know, one of your sixth or seventh linemen to get them some playing time, it was like, all right, starting five, we're going unless somebody gets hurt. Defensively, so like the defensive line group, for example, they would the coach or whoever coordinators says, all right, you four guys, three or four guys are up, Like next time we go out, you three or four are up. And it's just like simple things like I guess so and so forgot who you know, who was up and who was down? You know, like little things like that's just those are unforced and just really make make you look like you got a egg on your face. But I mean when it no, I mean it's when it comes to just overall strategy and and trying to trying to be in the perfect fit for what the offense has given you. I feel like they're just they're searching too much. They're not letting letting the defense play, like, just letting the guys go out there and make plays. Get them lined up and make plays. That was Coach Strong's biggest thing was just get lined up with your hand in the ground and be ready to play football. React and read and react.
Speaker 3: Do you do you think?
Speaker 4: And again, this may even be a stupid question, but it's something I've heard people bring up, is that maybe they realize they have some options when it comes to depth, So maybe they're substituting too much instead of just relying on a specific group to you know, kind of like, hey, these are the guys, we feel like, are the are the best at what they do, and until they show a sign of needing a breather or something like that, we're going to roll with it. Again, you want to utilize your depth, But it just seems like the defense, you know, they'll make timely plays, even though they've got guys that are injured that you clearly want to see out there playing. It doesn't seem as if their issues are a whole lot related to talent and ability, I.
Speaker 6: Would caution that statement from what you say and all encompassing, because when it comes to we have depth and we have a lot of guys that can play, I think you limit that to a few groups, and one of those being the defensive line, which I mean, do we have a ton of sacks? Do we have a lot pressures?
Speaker 5: No? None.
Speaker 6: That's why I say I cautioned the statement. But when when it comes to, you know, exposing some weaknesses, unless it's Quincy Riley like locking somebody down, I mean are out on the outside and and back deep, there's there's a lot of vulnerability and SMU expose.
Speaker 3: That and to make sure oh yeah, like I've never seen before something.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you can run guys in and out, but I don't I don't know if it's going to get you anything better than what we're getting. So you know, when when in first and second downs and you look back on that game last Saturday, he's just you never really won first and second down, especially to start a drive. How many drives in a row? Was there a big play, a big play, action play or run or or a ball thrown deep and it's like, man, this guy is just carving or you know, their their offense is just carving us up. There's no no to two fits about it.
Speaker 4: So whenever Jeff says it's got to be more simple, we have to simplify things defensively, is that going back to kind of what you said a moment ago as far as just hey, let's just get guys lined up and tell them to go to go play. I mean is I mean that doesn't seem like something that's just going to be, Hey, snap the fingers and everything's going to be better, because again you still have to go make those plays. But you know, whenever you hear, whenever I hear a non football mind like myself here that it's too complicated, I mean, is it because they've just got like is it just the game plan too complex? Defensively?
Speaker 6: I mean first and second down typically because you're because you're not trying to sneak anything, you know, you're not really trying to open up the playbook. You know, usually say bet and save all your energy and time for winning the money down third down. So first and second down is it's already should be pretty simple. Like some of those the substitutions coming out of a break, you know, which we've had too. Now that that's simply just not listening on the sideline, not being locked in and engaged on who's supposed to be in the game. So and and if it is a coach wanted to make a last second decision, that's on the coach.
Speaker 4: But uh, Cup, I was already scared going into the show today, and you're scaring me even more.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 6: There's there's price bus out there. Dude, trust me, there's there's enough. I mean, when we can get into it, there's there's enough good within those four walls of the locker room that we there's you should still have faith as a cardinal, I do.
Speaker 4: And that's what also just makes it so puzzling is that, you know, I think we've got to you know, we've got an offense that, although the offensive line clearly is is probably the weakness, I think you can even do some things schematically around it to where like the offensive line, I think it's fair to say that they've not been great so far, but I wouldn't put it on them as far as why we're in this position. I mean, yeah, it would be nice if they could you know, could get some extra push to where you're not you know, you're not you know, getting off the field on fourth down and turning it over. But like, you know, I just don't want to be in a position it would be devastating to know that we have this really good quarterback who I think is special, and Jacry Brooks who's clearly a talented guy, and then Isaac Brown he's a freshman and he's sensational. Like you know, like I'm with you. There's certainly a lot to like as far as what you've seen with big plays here and there, especially with the offense.
Speaker 3: But you know, like I just don't know why they have This is.
Speaker 4: Something I think I would say where they are now with this record and sort of the big things that stand out as to how.
Speaker 3: They have these these last two losses.
Speaker 4: It's just not something really anybody would have predicted as far as what plagues you five games.
Speaker 3: In you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, absolutely, And I think collectively, so this is where you, I mean, you lean back and I've always the many years that we've talked, is you got to do it collectively. They're not just going to be able to roll the ball out there and be good enough to beat anybody. Everybody's got nil deals, everybody's got paths of the future and thinks they're you know, the best thing. But when you have a team that's put together with a solid roster, not you know, there's a few good pieces, but it's solid. You need all those pieces to gel and come together. You need the offensive line to work cohesively as a unit, be able to drive people offotball, like you said, be able to lock down. I mean, I do think that that SMU had some of the more talented guys that they're going to face on the edge. I mean those students were. They were good, big, fast, strong, quick off the ball. I guess everything you look for, and somebody setting an edge on defense. So I do think that our offensive line has a lot of quality football and then definitely good enough to beat the teams on your schedule right and defensively, Like when you when you put the different pieces together, you need all eleven guys on the same page, locked in with what the play call is, get lined up and play ball. Yeah, I think there's enough good collectively to to be be in a good spot and being be in position to win the games. Now and then now it all comes down to the the you know, the ninety percent of it all, which is the mentality, the leadership. How tight and how how strong are those bonds that you have to start building? You know, it seems like every year you have to rebuild starting in January. How tight and how strong is this team going to be to stay together and go on the road and beat it be a conference opponent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And and I know as a player in your for or play yourself that it really is about just what's what's at stake today? Right? You're not thinking about games down the line, and fans of course do that understandably, so, but I, you know, do you feel as if, you know, I guess you, you know, to take a step back from your former player role and just look at it from a fan standpoint, Doesn't it kind of feel like tomorrow's humongous like for this season. Not to say that they couldn't eventually get better and win games and maybe pull off some upsets down the line, but I kind of feel like this is a pivotal moment in this season, and this is a.
Speaker 6: One hundred percent specula because it's a different era of college sports. In general football, especially where I mean, you can't get to this position halfway through and be essentially out of it and not have quote unquote anything to play for and think that your team's going to be able to consistently show up and try and win games. I just I hope that's not the case, because I hope that they're still I mean, at the end of the day, these guys put a whole lot of blood, sweat, and tears in it, and they should still have a lot of passion, a lot of pride. So regardless of what happens Saturday, you know, one Saturday after the next, we're always going to give it our all. The reality is that's just that I don't think that exists. Yeah, you know, and and again that's aspective because I'm not in that locker room. So I don't want to put this on anybody, but from from you know, what we've watched in the past, and you look around the landscape of college football. When when that sur you know, when that snowball gets rolling downhill, there's really no other means to stop it.
Speaker 3: And it's it's the human element of sports.
Speaker 4: You can tell yourself, hey, we're going to go line up out here and not think about what happened the last month and not think about what's in front of us the next two three weeks. But all it takes is a big play one way or the other. Could be a play that's positive, it could be a played that's negative. It's going to send you in a direction. And whenever you get sending that direction, it's hard to kind of just psyche yourself out of that because you know it sets in it like, hey, wow, this is really happening.
Speaker 3: We are we're an underwhelming team and we've.
Speaker 4: Fallen short of expectation and really, you know, at the end of the day, everybody's got to be held accountable. But like, in that moment, I think it's just life. Like, that's just how humans. That's how humans, you know, operate. So, you know, I think they're a better team than Virginia. But this Virginia squad is coming off of a good win for them. They beat Boston College by ten. They're four and one, one of their best starts, and quite some time they've they've got I wouldn't say they've got a ton of momentum in the grand scheme of things when it comes to college football. But for them, I feel like they're in a good spot and Louisville looks as vulnerable as they ever have. Doesn't mean that that Virginia is going to be able to get the victory here. But you know, here's one thing I just don't understand. From the game against Jacksonville State on so every game but the opener against Austin p It's been quite clear if you watch Louisville, they have a tough time limiting quarterbacks for being able to get loose with their legs. How are we still here where that's still happening? I mean again, I mean, if we had the simple answer, you probably call run English yourself, Cup and tell them, hey, here's what you got to do.
Speaker 3: But like, Virginia's got a quarterback who showed us last year he.
Speaker 4: Can make plays with his legs, Like, what do they need to do to keep that from happening? Jennings getting that long touchdown run out of a time out? I mean that was embarrassing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it's you could then the way they set their splits, and it's just like it was obvious that the fart they essentially came out of the huddle. Hey, you four guys need to move as far away from the ball as possible to displace the defense in a certain manner that we can just run right up the middle and run a TV draw. So it's like, yeah, there's there's a lot of a lot of like clear evidence, you know, Yeah he was. I feel like we I don't know how good that kid is. So he might look back on it and he might be just an absolute stud and and he goes on a you know, a hell of the college campaign. But yeah, there's there's a lot of kids that were were making look kind of magical, you know, at least in spots that that was the first time that we we never could stop the bleeding. It was. It was. It was a constant onslaught. And I think that was the more so what he did with his arm than he did with his legs. But he was able to escape the pocket. And yeah, I mean it starts. It starts with your rush. I mean you can't. You've got to be able to rush smart and be able to stay in a lane and and and contain a dude like that, but also apply pressure. So if you're if you're rushing timid and you're just sticking to a block and letting the guy hold onto the ball. That doesn't help your your your secondary out. So there's that's where I'm talking about football is just so it's that's why it's the greatest game and the toughest game at the same time. Is all eleven guys have to give it. They're all and do their job the best to the best of their ability, every little detail, every single play. So if there's ever a you know, if there's a little slip up one place other or somebody somebody takes a playoff or what, you just get exposed so fast. So those those are the elements that you know, this team has had, you know, bite them in the butter quite a bit these last two weeks. And you know, you and moving on the road and playing on the road this weekend, it's almost a good thing because you you're you're going to be in a bunker mentality and all you have is each other. So that's that's the beauty of where we sit is we find ourselves, uh are back against the wall. But the beauty is also you got it. You got opportunity to go out and show the fan base, show yourself, show your team that that you're you're up for the task in this season. You are not writing anything off. We're still in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a win can go a long way here.
Speaker 4: Not because it would be a monumental accomplishment to knock off this Virginia team when your when your favorites, but it could really get it could really kind of calm this this whole mess down as far as just the you know, the disorganization and just kind of the you know, these last two losses are not terrible losses. Again, you expect to win every game you play. That's why you line up and you play. But you know, the grand scheme of things, I think SMU is actually a lot better team than I gave them credit for. Clearly Notre Dame always has very good talent and and you know, winning there is not easy for anybody. But a win here could get your right for Miami. And here's to hoping that's what happens. But Cup, I appreciate you making time for us as always, and uh, we'll see what happens tomorrow.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, man, go Cards.
Speaker 3: Take care of Go Cards.
Speaker 4: That's Alex Cupper, former Louisville Cardinal, former nfl O alignment and of course a member of that very memorable Sugar Bowl run for Charlie Strong in the cards back Gosh, I always you know, I'm older than Cup, so I can say it, but like man, it makes I don't want to make him sound like an old guy. But it was a long time ago when that happened. Good times though, no doubt. All Right, we got to run quick break. We'll come back for a very quick segment before we wrap up the three o'clock hour. Two hours left after that, so stick around. Let's take you until six o'clock right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. All Right, we were wrapping up the three o'clock hour here on a Friday afternoon, getting you set for the weekend. Good stuff there with the one and only mister Alex Cupper.
Speaker 3: That was good.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's always great talking football with Cup, but you know, he can provide some perspective that I certainly can, and he was pretty honest. Like, you know, this defense, I think we all looked in again. They're missing their best player defensively. You could argue in Quincy Riley and I don't know what's going on with Ashton. I'm just going to assume that it's schematic and like they're just doing a great job meeting the opponents of eliminating him from making a big impact in the game. But a lot of talk about talent and and they just haven't really shown that. And you know, he comes right like when it comes to the secondary, I mean, without Quincy Riley out there, it's pretty clear teams realize they can take advantage of that. And I know there's some things you can do, you know, which I mean, in fact, what you have to do. This is coming from somebody that will admit I don't know much about how to put a game plan together defensively for a high level college football team, but I would think that if you've got a very vulnerable secondary, especially with your safeties right now, you need to cook up some pressure that way that quarterback didn't have time to just sit back there and abuse you. And you know they've been doing that the lot, I mean, especially SMU. And we'll see what happens, but like I'm hopeful that SMU just ends up being like really good. I don't know if that's going to be the case, because you know, you just don't know, but they they were the they were just a better team than Louisville. Loisvill made some mistakes that I don't think I would chalk up to SMU doing anything to cause those miss But either way, you know, you lined up with that team that was just in the G four last year, and you know they were better and as a as a humbling experience and a tough pill to swallow, but hopefully that that's the kind of result they can get this team to really respond. You know, losing the Notre Dame was just weird because of all the little dumb things you did that killed you, but you still had a chance to win. I wouldn't go as far as to say embarrassing, but I would say the loss to SMU should be really humbling for this for this team overall. And there's a couple of different ways they can respond. Let's hope they respond in the good way tomorrow. But all right, let's yeah, we're up against it. Apologies here, quick break, We've got two more hours to go. I'll get my clock management back in order. If you guys are on a hold and you want to join the show, stick around. I promise you we'll get to see you. The numbers five O two, I've seven one seventy nine hundred and uh again. It's a Friday. Let's get the weekend started right here on Sports Talk seven