Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to k IF I am six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Okay, we're not doing ailments, okay, but my husband this morning says, did you get Gary a Christmas present yet? And I said I did, And he said, oh, okay, because I was gonna recommend you get him that face stuff that I use. And I go, you know what I thought about it?
Speaker 2: I said, but that's like.
Speaker 3: Weird, Like I'm not going to get him grooming products, like that's odd.
Speaker 4: I actually there's a funny thing. Yes, there is a line about what you can buy.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, yes, And so then he says it was a whole thing. So then he says, well, why don't you tell him that it was from me? And then it's not weird? And I'm like, that's kind of okay, that would weird, that would work. Yes, I was actually going to buy a friend. I was going to buy a friend some workout shorts that I like that I that I've used in there. It's a great brand and super comfortable and all that sort of stuff. And as I'm going through and I'm ordering a pair of shorts. Uh, it says liner or no liner, and I thought that's too much.
Speaker 4: Like I just assumed, like even if it came with the liner, which is like the built in boxer short kind of thing, our boxer briefs. Basically, if it had just come with it, I would have been okay, and I would have bought the shorts and been like, I really like these shorts and here's you know, I hope the right size and if not, very easily don't know. Just so it was that decision between liner and no liner. I was like, that's too far, because then I have to tell them I assume you like either one or the other.
Speaker 1: Thing about your genitals exactly exactly, I gave any thought to your genitals, and too far.
Speaker 2: I picked a color.
Speaker 4: I picked the in seam lengthsage also that's the touchy one, and then I and then I picked, like, uh, the size that I thought was appropriate. But then it asked liner or noliner, and I was like, I'm gonna pull a plug on that, right.
Speaker 1: I'm okay with like small, medium, large choices, but then like if it gets to be like pants, like.
Speaker 2: What's the what's the thirty two, thirty.
Speaker 1: Four or the caller side the next size all that that sounds too intimate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's just a line, right, it's funny.
Speaker 4: Well, the drones have not not stopped coming, and in fact, this is getting this is getting kind of weird. There are briefings that are going on, some of them classified, some of them not where We've got the FBI, the Coastguard, Department of Defense, other you know, New Jersey State Police, etc. That are briefing lawmakers on what the hell's going on and the sky's over New Jersey and New York. Congressman Josh Gotttheimer just this morning held a news conference where he said, listen, I don't think this is a big deal, but I need to know this is not and I need the government to tell me that.
Speaker 5: I want you to know that based on the information, the briefings that I've received to date, I'm not concerned about any imminent threats to public safety or our national security regarding these drones. But and I've made this very clear to the FBI, the Homeland Security in the FAA, the agency is chiefly responsible for monitoring drone activity, they must immediately disclose more information to the public. It's totally completely unacceptable that you have all this drone activity going on that people are seeing with their own eyes. And even if it's not all drone activity, and some of it is manned aircraft, there appears to be plenty of drone activity that people are seeing with their own eves. The fact that the federal agencies responsible for briefing the public have not come forward in a clear way is unacceptable.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: Josh Gotttheimer is a Democrat, and he's going after the sitting administration and the agencies that are working for them and saying you're not doing enough to assuage the fears of the people of the United States.
Speaker 1: Specifically New Jersey. A hobbyist group. Why haven't we heard from the hobbyist group? And when are people going to start shooting these things? It's only a matter of time.
Speaker 2: Well, there's other we saw.
Speaker 4: I don't want to say hysteria because that it brings with it a negative connotation and awareness of things in the sky. Think of what happened back when China floated that balloon across the continental of the United States. People then started seeing more and more balloons, and we saw Norads scrambling jets to shoot some balloons out of the air because we didn't know what they were doing, and we didn't know what they were So in this case, I'm highly suspect of what the government is doing right now, which is staying incredibly silent about it. It's one thing to have the guy at the White House Press Briefing podium, John Kirby, for example, come out and say we believe it's manned aircraft. Okay, but what is that me? What does that mean? Does that mean there is somebody in a drone? There are big enough you know that style multi propeller.
Speaker 2: Does that make you feel better? Yeah, that's the crime. Okay.
Speaker 4: So you say it's man where is it going and what is it doing? Why is it hovering for four hours in Bob mcgillicutty's backyard.
Speaker 1: And what are the rules and why haven't the rules caught up with the amount of drones out there?
Speaker 4: And if this is this is the other part about it that I think is most frightening. One of the things that we saw one of the headlines that we've seen repeatedly over the last couple of years when it comes to the conflict between Russia and Ukraine, when Russia invaded Ukraine.
Speaker 2: Is the use of drones.
Speaker 4: Not just drones, you know, predator drones that can drop our fire missiles, but drones as suicide.
Speaker 2: Vehicles or you know, you arm them with.
Speaker 4: Explosives and you drive that thing into a tank or a battalion or whatever. That should be top of mind for the people who defend us. Why aren't Where is that defense system against drones? Does it only exist in those forward operating bases, does it only exist outside of the United States? Or do we have the capability here to defend if this, if these were from uh evildoers.
Speaker 1: I think it would just be nice to have an adult in the room step forward and say, this is what we have found. This is where they originated, this is where they're coming from. This is you know it in the fact that there's no voice, no singular voice.
Speaker 4: Can I give you a voice? Yeah, the voice of the person who is currently in charge. And granted, listen, if Trump starts sounding like this, I'm gonna play it too.
Speaker 2: But this is pretty bad at the moment, and others could do better than I did. I'm not saying I was perfect, but ends up at this moment, the best economy, strongest economy in the world. He sounds full of life and for all Americans.
Speaker 3: Leader, Leader of America, we got a lot to do.
Speaker 1: Can't you do not have a lot to do? Kindly step aside, it is time for you to Also, why is Nancy Pelosi going to a Battle of the Bulge remembrance? I mean, I know she was there for it, but what the hell is she doing being shuttled across the world.
Speaker 2: She's eighty four.
Speaker 1: She's now suffered an injury, admitted to a hospital in Luxembourg. She pulled a Mitch McConnell. It looks like another person who should be retired.
Speaker 4: A statement from her office said, while traveling with a bipartisan Congressional delegation speaker Emerita, Nancy Pelosi sustained an injury during an official engagement and was admitted to the hospital for evaluation.
Speaker 2: But still no work. Did she I mean, she's eighty four. Did she fall?
Speaker 4: That seems the most likely kind of an injury for someone to It's not like she was arm wrestling somebody and snapped her timmy in her Wait a minute, no, we're radius and Ulna.
Speaker 1: I don't want to hear about leg Pelosi's body parts. Same thing like I don't want to hear about your dry skin patches.
Speaker 4: You asked if I put lotion on. I feel like you opened the door. You're gonna have to hear about it.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: Kono from the Morning Show broke news to me that Nancy Pelosi trades and people mimicking her trades are a thing I had no idea.
Speaker 4: Oh you, yes, absolutely, people make money. People make money off of the moves that.
Speaker 2: She has made.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fascinating.
Speaker 4: We will continue and in just a couple of minutes the latest on the United Healthcare CEO murder, specifically that Luigi Guy was not a United Healthcare insurance holder.
Speaker 1: Also, if you want to quit this show, leave now. Do not stand on the sidelines and refuse to play. Oh if we need a linebacker, we need a linebacker, don't suit up if you're not going to go be a linebacker.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was the other thing. Cono said. He's bad mouth and the forty nine ers fix true. You team lost, No, they didn't lose, they quit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's a different a bad look.
Speaker 1: And then I also become that guy who's like, oh, you got to catch that.
Speaker 2: How do you not catch that? Like I could catch it and you jump.
Speaker 1: Up when you say that you throwing this bottle cap to me right here at a slow speed.
Speaker 2: How do you not catch that?
Speaker 3: You sit down? Sit down, ma'am.
Speaker 4: We were talking about the ongoing drone issue over New Jersey.
Speaker 2: Do people sound like paranoid idiots? Get it together?
Speaker 4: It's not that we're paranoid that I think this is Aliens, or that it's Iran.
Speaker 2: Or that it's Russia. But to know who it is. Yeah, that's the part that bothers me is.
Speaker 4: That it's that there's been such a vacuum of information when it comes to this kind of thing. This should be, I hope a wake up call to federal and state agencies. Hey, we need to be able to identify what these things are pretty quickly, because if this was something that was nefarious, New Jersey would be gone. Because we don't have the ability to defend against this.
Speaker 1: The FBI should come out and say, all right, I understand that there's unease going on right now, but we know exactly who's flying these drones. It's the New Jersey Drone Hobbyist Association and they're gearing up for their holiday show or whatever. It's the NNGDH or it's a run in China together, just tell me, you know the answer.
Speaker 4: Here's what we are going to see, and I think this weekend is going to be a key for it. You're going to see a lot of people reporting drones everywhere. Last night, apparently there were some over Temecula. There's a report that there was some mysterious lights moving at extreme speeds in the skies over Eugene, Oregon a couple of days ago. We're going to see a huge influx of mysterious drone sightings over the next couple of days. The next step in the Luigi Mangioni case is still trying to figure out why he targeted Brian Thompson, the CEO at United Healthcare.
Speaker 1: And we now know he was not insured by United Healthcare. There's no record that he was ever insured by the company.
Speaker 4: Interesting because Candice Dalan DeLong is a former FBI profiler and said that may take away one aspect of motive. But as we've been saying, people are looking for a hero and feel when the government doesn't have the ability to do something, they're going to rely on these vigiliantes to do it for it doesn't matter that.
Speaker 6: He wasn't personally injured. He seems to have taken it upon himself to be some kind of avenging angel, and he has, in what he did, kind of wrapped himself in this cloak of righteousness. I am here to protect the rest of all of you from evil insurance companies.
Speaker 4: There's an interesting online footprint that this guy had. We believe that he was right on Reddit about some of the health issues that he was going through. He's twenty again, he's twenty six years old, but he was talked about changing his diet because of irtable ball syndrome, battling his chronic back pain, restless sleep, he said in twenty three, twenty twenty three, posted about how the back pain came after a vertebrae had split slipped. Sorry, and he wrote online he said, when my spondee went bad on me last year, remember spond spond low life thesis. He said, it was completely devastating as a young athletic person. Seemingly all I could read on the internet was that I was just destined to chronic pain in a desk job. And he said that representation was terrifying, inaccurate, and completely destroyed me until I realized the silent majority of fusion spinal fusions are highly successful. I mean, this is a guy who was I could not say that at the age of twenty five or twenty six, I had anywhere near as much medical knowledge as this guy did about my own well, he.
Speaker 1: Was very intelligent, is very intelligent. We've seen that throughout his entire life, like the most intelligent kid at his very high profile schools.
Speaker 2: There just had to have been.
Speaker 1: I just keep going back to this because it seems like it's the Oulkham Schraser and it's that there's something that happens sometimes with young men in particular when they are in their early twenties psychologically, and it causes a psychotic break.
Speaker 2: And I wonder if.
Speaker 4: If he is taking We don't know much about his medications, obviously, but he's in chronic pain.
Speaker 2: He's talked about that.
Speaker 1: He said that he's not on any take killers. That's weird, Yeah, it would be weird. Florida woman has been arrested in charge please say she ended a phone call with her health insurance provider with threats mimicking the wording associated with this shooter. Now she's forty two. Her name's Breonna Boston. She was speaking with someone from Blue Cross and she was told that her medical claim was denied. And then at the end of the recorded conversation and she can be heard saying delay denied.
Speaker 3: Depose you people are next.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Arrested for that.
Speaker 4: It's interesting that she chose the words that he wrote on the bullet casings, which was actually different than the book title. All about the insurance company and how they deny claims all the time. Yeah, this guy, this Luigi Mangioni, by the way, may have been identified by San Francisco police four days before he was arrested.
Speaker 1: Well, remember he was declared missing from his mom to San Francisco police months ago because she thought that I'm sorry it was in November. It was mid November, I believe when she contacted SFPD and said my son's missing. She believed him to be in San Francisco. There was a report out that she hadn't talked to him since July. But yeah, it would make sense if he was reported missing by his mom. It's a rich, high profile family. It's going to get attention, so they probably had an id on him.
Speaker 4: The San Francisco Chronicle says an SFPD officer tipped off the FBI after they recognized those surveillance images that were put out by the NYPD, which of course they would because hey, they're looking for the guy too. He was reported, Like you said, November eighteenth was the date that mom mom reported him.
Speaker 2: So oh.
Speaker 4: Speaking of the FBI, just a quick headline the new report that came out yesterday. The FBI did not have any undercover agents in the crowd in the January sixth fiasco at the Capitol, but the Justice Department's Inspector General is a big butt said that they had more than two dozen informants in the crowd that day. Some of them were instructed to go there, but many of them just went on their own. Three of the informants, referred to as confidential human sources, were specifically tasked by the FBI Field Office to go to DC to report on domestic terrorism case subjects that they had been investigating. And by the way, a special Holly the edition of Have you Ever Met This Person before? That's a news feature. I guess we're going to start today or something like that. Really, yeah, I listened to the that's the voice of Russ Taff and he is the lead singer of the Imperials, or at least he was when they recorded this.
Speaker 2: I listened to the and he is going to join us later in the show.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny is I guess it's not that big of a coincidence. But I was listening to just my Spotify Starred playlist or whatever, and that came on when I got in the car this morning. It was the first song, but that popped up, and then I got here and you said, we're interviewing him today.
Speaker 2: Of course that's how it works.
Speaker 3: Wild.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not that one.
Speaker 3: It's pretty wild.
Speaker 2: It is pretty good.
Speaker 4: College football's bowl season starts tomorrow after Army Navy or there is the annual Army Navy Game tomorrow, but also the Jackson State Tigers in South Carolina State Bulldog in the Cricket Celebration Bowl tomorrow, and the is fourst Salute to Veterans bull between the South Alabama Jaguars and the Western Michigan Broncos.
Speaker 1: Well, it's not the arc of the Covenant, but this story in the La Times comes straight out of an Indiana Jones esque type of movie, right, But it's real life and it's hard to believe that this many people and this many lives were caught up with this weird cursed emerald heavy, also very heavy.
Speaker 2: It's emerald.
Speaker 3: It's from Brazil.
Speaker 1: It's called the Bahea Emerald, and it talks about this guy, this lawyer here in La John Natalenko, who opened up a letter about ten years ago. It was allegedly from Brazil and it was a Brazilian government person that wanted his help to retrieve a stolen eight hundred and thirty six pound emerald.
Speaker 2: He said this was twenty fourteen.
Speaker 1: It was the height of the Niget jury and Prince scam, and I was like, what the hell is this?
Speaker 3: And he just throws it away. I'm a fallen for this.
Speaker 1: But then his boss says, could you look into this to find this Bahea Emerald?
Speaker 3: So he's like, okay.
Speaker 1: He reaches out to a colleague in his office in Brazil. I guess it's a big network of PI firms or what have you, and he learns that the Bahea Emerald is real and that the Brazilian government was seriously asking him to help track it down in California.
Speaker 2: But I mean trying to trace the lineage.
Speaker 4: Of this the provenance of this Bahi emerald is crazy because it starts back in two thousand and one. A couple guys from northern California. We're in some financial dire straits because of a failing tech startup that they got, So they were going to go and basically buy emeralds down in Brazil and bring them back to the United States and try to make a profit on them to save this failing investment that they had made.
Speaker 1: They were going to use the emeralds as collateral on a loan to save the startup.
Speaker 3: I had never heard of that being done.
Speaker 4: So they secured twenty five million dollars, or they would secure twenty five million dollars worth of small, cut and polished emeralds from a couple of guys, and they would use the stones as collateral, like you said, to participate in the investment program. They was going to make quick money. They were going to just cash out and everything was going to be fine. But no one from their group was able to assemble a loan that would be used to buy the cut emeralds in the first place.
Speaker 1: But during the trip, the two guys in Brazil who had actually plucked this thing from a mine in there in two thousand and one, decided to take the Americans to show them this Bahea emerald. Remember, they were going to look for smaller emeralds, and there said, well look at this one. A month later, one of the guys from northern California wires one of the guys from Brazil sixty thousand dollars a fee that he said was used to purchase the Bahea emeralds, But in court documents they lied. They said this was used to cover the cost of cutting and polishing a collection of emeralds that they had gathered for this loan. In the meantime, the Bahea emerald mysteriously disappears in transit to California. They think it was someone in the Brazilian government to blame, so they never file a theft report. Of course, they never file a theft report because this is all under the table.
Speaker 3: Shenanigans now.
Speaker 4: And the guy, when he was asked about where the bill of sale was, did you guys keep the receipt on this thing? He say, oh, yeah, well actually I mean I did keep the receipt, but it burned up when my house burned down in two thousand and six.
Speaker 2: So a judge gets involved.
Speaker 4: In twenty fourteen, a judge in La County and said that that guy's testimony was like sand in the wind, constantly shifting and changing its shape.
Speaker 1: Well, the guy that he went with to Brazil, the other guy from northern California, those two the fall of their business, had a falling out themselves. Apparently it was his business partner turned rival that ended up possessing the emeralds. That guy sent the stone from Northern California to a storage facility in New Orleans where it happened to become submerged for weeks after Hurricane Katrina.
Speaker 4: So so what they're going to do is they they're going to sell this whole thing. If a guy's going to say, you know what, let's cut our losses. Just sell this whole, this eight hundred and thirty six pound block that has a bunch of emeralds in it and will cash out. So they enlist a couple guys, Larry and Jerry one Larry the plumber, Jerry the gem dealer.
Speaker 2: You can't make this up. It's just it's crazy.
Speaker 4: So they ship the stone back to San Jose try to get a buyer.
Speaker 2: They can't, and.
Speaker 1: Then Larry the Plumber says to Jerry the gem dealer that he was kidnapped by Brazilian warlords asked him to send ransom money. So it was the gem dealer, Jerry, who decided to take over efforts to sell the stone because the Plumber had gone off the deep end.
Speaker 4: Jerry sells the stone, transports it to a storage facility in al Monty, couldn't or wanted to sell it, couldn't find a buyer, but uses it as collateral for some other gem deals that he's been doing. That deal falls through the other one that he was using this collateral for.
Speaker 2: He moves the stone to Vegas.
Speaker 4: Now not happy about the disappearance of the Emerald, the guy actually reported it stolen, Larry Larry the Plumber reported it stolen from el Monty. So the La County Sheriff's Department gets involved. And I can't imagine what that call was like for these guys who were like, Okay, now what wait, where did it come from?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 4: You just said it was in Hurricane Katrina. It goes from there to Idaho, It goes from Idaho to Vegas.
Speaker 1: My favorite part is when the detectives from the La County Sheriff's department go to Idaho where they basically threatened to unwrap every present underneath the Christmas tree and the home where the gem is supposed to be to look for it.
Speaker 4: To look for it. Now, a judge finally gets involved. They find it in Vegas, they bring it back to it's an evidence now here in La County. The judge decides after all of this, it still belongs to the government of Brazil, and basically what it is is that if there's no appeal, they're going to do a full repatriation ceremony for this eight hundred and thirty six pound emerald back to Brazil.
Speaker 1: But the stone, when smuggled here back in two thousand and five, came with it. All of these crazy stories, right, some are fact, some are fiction. There's the guy from northern California who swore his house burned to the ground.
Speaker 3: There was the.
Speaker 1: Startup guys who lost it to the flooding of the hurricane. There was the plumber that I aimed he was kidnapped by Brazilian war lords. So there's all this talk about it being a cursed gem. I think the people involved with the gem and acquiring the gem were just a bunch of liars and charlatans, and that's where these stories came from. However, the detective right the PI that was contacted by the Brazilian government says, I'd love to see it in person, but there's a small part of me that may just throw salt over my left shoulder, keep my fingers crossed behind my back.
Speaker 2: Stay away.
Speaker 4: I have always dreamed about a dog that could speak and understand what I tell it.
Speaker 6: Speak Hi there?
Speaker 2: Did that dog just say Hi there?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes, my name is Doug. I have just met you, and I love you. My master made me his collar.
Speaker 4: He is a coded smart master, and he made me his collar so that I may talk squirrel.
Speaker 2: And you may have seen the videos.
Speaker 4: There have been plenty of them, even small documentaries made about dogs using sound boards, where you teach a dog certain words. You know, you push a little button like the little Staples buttons, little red button. You push the button and it says a word, and the dog knows that that word and that button gets it something, gets it, food, gets it, pet get petted, petited, petted, gets it to go outside. Gets it's a toy, whatever it is. But I mean those you can train a dog to do that. You can train a bunch of animals to do that. But there you see San Diego Comparative Cognition lab, which when I go back to school, that's exactly where I'm going, shows that dogs that are trained to use these soundboards are capable of making two word combinations that go beyond what would otherwise be random behavior or a simple imitation of what their owners are teaching it. That's that they can at least put together two words. Frederico Rozzano is an associate professor of cognitive science that you see San Diego and said, dogs are pressing buttons purposefully to express their desires and needs, for example, words like outside or treat or play or potty but I hate that word potty. Notably, accommodations like outside and potty or food and water are used in meaningful ways that they occur more frequently than they would if it was just left up to simple chance.
Speaker 3: What do you hate worse? Potty or tummy?
Speaker 4: I said the word scramby when I was offering to make my wife eggs.
Speaker 2: How do you want your eggs?
Speaker 3: You want a little scram maybe?
Speaker 4: She said, never, never say it straight face, angry tone. Yeah, never say that again, because it's not sexy. She said, she didn't say that, but what she said was low tea, Yeah exactly. And I said, and then I go, you can't tell me not to do something, because then I said, would would mommy like scramby eggs for her tummy? And then she turned around and left. Yes, I haven't seen her for three days. For three days, is.
Speaker 1: Your dog still unwrapping presence under the tree?
Speaker 2: Uh? No, thankfully?
Speaker 3: What did you do to deter this behavior?
Speaker 2: There's a gate, there's a there's a little gate, so he can't.
Speaker 1: Get the puppy gate, so little Poppy can't go to the potty.
Speaker 2: What I.
Speaker 4: Need is to put a train around the bottom of my tree so that the train runs them over, like my.
Speaker 3: Child at home.
Speaker 2: You don't have a child.
Speaker 3: You have a husband who puts a train under the tree.
Speaker 4: But he did he call it a chu chuo? No, no, see, you would say, you'd say low tea, and you'd turn around and leave. That would be the last words that he heard you say.
Speaker 3: See, that's great.
Speaker 4: One of the other dog stories that I found also was, she's so funny.
Speaker 2: There are dogs I wish I could.
Speaker 4: There are dogs that have been captured near the Chernobyl nuclear power plant, and they said that they have developed. I mean there have been a couple generations. Obviously, the Chernobyl was eighty six, right, there have been a couple of generations of dogs that have been born since then. And the current crop of dogs that exist in that Chernobyl exclusion zone are they use the word immune to radiation, but I don't know if they're immune to it, but they're at least not as affected by it as other organisms would be. So in other words, what they did to conduct this study about these dogs, these feral dogs that live there is the blood samples were collected during vaccination procedures back in twenty eighteen and nineteen, and the samples are transported to America where we did DNA extraction and analysis, and they said that there were four hundred outer outlier low SI genomic locations showed extremely divergent patterns from the rest of the genome. Fifty two of those genes associated with out the outlier low side that could be linked to environmental contamination because of the nuclear power plant, and those mutations have been passed down through generations. But They said that those mutations are the things that enabled these dogs to live in the conditions of the exclusion zones. One of the most interesting things they said was that they found about ten percent of the DNA of all of the dogs they tested, about ten percent of it was German shepherd and they don't know if there's they don't know if it's that's just the kind of dog that was living in the area, that was predominant in the area at the time that this family tree started, or if it was something specific about the German shepherd DNA that made it more resilient and therefore it was the it was the genetic soup that survived.
Speaker 3: Chernobyl genetic soup. Yeah, if you didn't have that on your Bengo card, well for this day.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 4: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.