Speaker 1: Not any windows.
Speaker 2: Dot any windows anywhere. Marcason, Marcison, you are right.
Speaker 3: You were right.
Speaker 1: People are alike.
Speaker 2: People are alike everywhere. Consider a face that seems etched in a permanent state of youthful curiosity, yet carries the weight of a thousand lifetimes. You have seen this face before, perhaps on a man dead to escape the confines of a lunar zoo, or maybe hidden beneath the layers of a Simian mask. And you certainly heard him calling the name of his tortured butler, Porterfoy. The person I'm talking about is, of course, Roddy McDowell. And while his contribution to the Fifth Dimension was brief, a single haunting excursion into a cosmic cage, he holds the distinction of making an indelible mark on the Holy Trinity of rod sailing creations. His career was a map of the sailing landscape, a journey that led him not only into the Twilight Zone, but into the shadows of the Night Gallery and onto the shores of Planet of the Apes. But how much do we understand about the man behind the masks? I recently sat down with Samuel garzabairnsty, the author of an upcoming book, Roddy McDowell, An Actor's Life, which chronicles the life and legacy of a man whose life was lived on the screen. So submitted for your approval, my conversation with Samuel Garza Bernstein. Samuel, Welcome to the show. It's so good to talk to you. Thank you for coming on.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Could you maybe introduce yourself to the audience. Tell us about some of the projects that you've worked on.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm living in Portugal now, so I can say a shamo, miss Samuel Garza Bernstein, saw escritor oor, slivos ouma, televisao, cinema etiatro. I don't know what possessed me to just say that. Anyway. I'm a writer for I write books. I write for television and film and theater. I have had a very long career. I have worked in television for twenty years. I'll be so. My book, Roddy Mcdollan Actor's Life, is coming out at the end of May, and I'm writing the fourth series of a show called After Forever that's on Amazon.
Speaker 2: Oh cool, okay, all right, So I mean I've been looking down some of your books Caesa Romero. That's definitely one that I'm going to get to big Batman fans. So I will go back and check that out. But what inspired you to choose Roddy as the next focus for a biography?
Speaker 1: You know, with with any job that you do, there's a certain amount of you know, this person suggested, this person said they might be interested in buying. You know, there's there's you know, there's a real world aspect to it. So I was talking with my agent, Lee Sober, and he mentioned to me that no one had ever done a bio of of Roddy McDowell and someone. You know, there's always been these things floating around that his archives were closed for one hundred years until after his death. And I had sort of vaguely heard that, and I thought, well, is that true? So I called up Boston University and I went, hey, can I see these archives? And they're like sure, come on, And so, knowing that I had access to that, pitched we pitched the idea to UH to Kensington and lo and behold they said yes and I started work.
Speaker 2: So maybe that room awaked in your favor because no one else did it.
Speaker 1: In the meantime, Well, I think that did work in my favor. But I also think think, you know, everyone has always approached this idea of Roddy McDowell as the keeper of everyone's secrets, everyone's best friend and all of this stuff. I I mean, I fell in love with Roddy McDowell when I was like a little kid, and I mean I sort of wanted to grow up and be Roddy McDowell, like, you know, seeing him on television. And I'm never that interested in in the scandal quote unquote part of it because to me, it's sort of like, well, what are we going to reveal that Elizabeth Taylor liked sex? Oh, newsflash, you know that, you know, there's there's there's not a scandal kind of aspect to this that resonates with me. Whereas really giving the respect to uh, to somebody who who did nothing but worked hard his entire life and his deserving of our respect and our attention, that made me feel very, very satisfied to be able to do that.
Speaker 2: I think in a similar sense for me, Roddy McDowell was just one of those people who if you turned on the TV and he was on whatever it was, you would just immediately warn to him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now I knew nothing about his private life or anything like that, because you know, firstly, I was just a kid, You're just watching TV. But I understand from you know, the notes that you've supplied that in his private life people did value his friendship a great deal. So what was it about him that made them such a presence in people's lives on and off screen? Do you think?
Speaker 1: I think that he was genuinely interested in other people, And especially for an actor, that's not always the case, you know, you know the old joke about but enough about me, what do you think of me? You know, it's he was not like that. He was very curious about the world. He was very curious about others, and he took his friendships and his relationships very very seriously. You know. It wasn't that he kept your secret because he knew it was scandalous and could get somebody in trouble. He kept your secret because he loved you, and you trusted him, and he trusted you. And I also think that, you know, he was a child star who had quite the weight of the world sort of on his shoulders from an early age. And I think in that sense of being very reactive to what's going on around him. Know, I think he really felt like he could see what was going on with people, and he could see what made what made things better and what made things worse. And he decided, I'm going to make things better. So he every situation he was in, whether it was meeting a new person and having lunch, whether it was starting a new job, whether it was whatever he looked for, how can I come in here and make this situation a little bit better?
Speaker 2: Right right?
Speaker 1: And that's just a really wonderful way I think to be in the world.
Speaker 2: So when you're getting to know Roddy, obviously you spoke about the archives. Now, I love stories about authors go into these archives because the paper trayal I'm not sure that it exists in the same way anymore, but it's all there. Could you tell us what's there? You know, what particular got you excited?
Speaker 1: Well, every piece of paper that Roddy McDowell ever touched in his entire life, I mean, his driver's licenses, his his acting you know, SAG cards, his I mean just everything's there, all the scripts, all the photographs, all the correspondents. And it's true, you know, before the advent of inexpensive long distance. Everything was on paper, so there are just hundreds and hundreds of letters between him and people, you know, people like Noel Coward and just the person after person after person. You know, of course Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton, and but also friends that were not so well known, and you really get a sense of how how important he took those friendships, you know, really he asked questions that were that were that were real, that were meaningful.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 1: He never There's a wonderful correspondence that goes on between him and the English actor Dirk Boguard and a friend of theirs named body Boatwright. She was a film executive an agent, and it's wonderful to me that both Dirk Boguard and body Boatwright are constantly saying funny things about the other one and Roddy never you know, because there were copies of Roddy's letters to them. Also, he would make copies of his own letters before sending them, so and you could see he doesn't divulge to either one of them what the other one is saying about, you know, what they're saying about each other, and it's nothing, you know, it's nothing. Terrible, but it's it's it's just sort of the funny kind of catty things that you know, that we all would say to each other. And the other part about a lot of that correspondence is that it was really a lot of it was like being on Facebook. It was very much about well, I'm going to be here, I'm going to be at the Excelsior and if you're there, and then oh, I think that George is going to be there, but then Martha's coming and maybe we compare, you know, and you know, and what they're eating, what they're like. I mean, really, if they he would have he would have loved.
Speaker 2: Facebook wild That's brilliant. So I'm going to test your memory a little here, Samuel. But I have to ask the question, because Roddy is in the Holy Trinity of Rod Saling projects, He's in the Twilight Zone, He's in the Night Gallery, He's in Planets of the Apes. Is there anything in the archives or elsewhere that you can specifically relate to rod Sailing or the Twilight Zone.
Speaker 1: Well, I you know, one of the first thing that comes to mind for for Planet of the Apes is, you know, the detail of Rowdy's script notes I could have twentieth century Fox, wouldn't wet me. I was going to print the in the biography, just a copy of his notes on one page, you know, I mean, it was not It wasn't like, you know, I'm going to print the whole script or anything. And they get very funny about that stuff. But he approached every moment of that performance. This is from the original script, the original movie. It's no different than doing Shakespeare for him, you know, he took it so so very seriously. And the you know, the the care with which he approached building a character that anybody else might have looked at is like, well, I'm playing an ape. I'm not even really an ape. I'm a chimpanzee. But you know, the ape sarmon ape, and you know, but he didn't look at it that way. One funny thing about about the Night Gallery episode is that the butler, Ossie Davis, plays the butler in the episode that he's in the cemetery, and I think the butler's name is Potiphoid. And so William Ragsdale, who did Fright Night with Roddy, I interviewed him and one of the things he talked about was that he was particularly that was maybe the first time he remembered as a kid seeing Roddy, and he was just the way that Roddy kept calling out to Usye Davis going but Aphar pophor so William Raxel would follow Roddy around the set calling out, and to Roddy's credit, and he always took it with a good deal of grace and laughed about it instead of, you know, swatting the kid away and saying stop that already, brilliant.
Speaker 2: I'm particularly fascinating then about what you just said about his notes about Planets of the Apes, and unfortunately you haven't been able to reprint them or have you been able to kind of give us a flavor of them in the book? You know what kind of things he's saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean he's really looking at well. The thing is with Planet of the Apes he kind of invented and was teaching other people how to act with all this stuff all over you like, you know, how to and so some of it is very technical about you know, you know, surprised look and how to like do that to you know, in response to this or into that, because it got very very technical because you couldn't just respond like a person because with all the prosthetics and stuff, it didn't it didn't necessarily register.
Speaker 1: So he actually on set was having these kind of like little informal acting classes, you know, going, well, you know, if you.
Speaker 5: Go like this, if you go like this, you know, and you're kind of like with your teeth like this, you know, it makes it look like you're, you know, doing fear or you're doing this or or It was almost kind of like a.
Speaker 1: Back in the silent movie days, they used to publish these these very funny instructions on how to act and how to make faces and they were like joy terror, you know, and and so it was a little like that because it was very rudimentary, but you know, kind of needs must and he was very very i think, very generous in terms of going, you know, this helps everyone. Yeah, you know, this isn't about me protecting my performance. This is about making this a better experience for everyone. And and you know, people were a little wigged out in the well literally and figuratively and in in that shoot. And you know, I mean Kim Hunter really struggled with with being in the thing. Salmonio in the later one in uh, what's that escape? Sal Minio was just like they had to cut his part short because he just he couldn't, like, he just freaked out. It was the makeup was so confining, and you know, he just it really he just couldn't do it for as long as as, you know, as he was supposed to.
Speaker 2: That's fascinating because you know, these days Andy Saykis gets quite rightly praised as a pioneer for his work in things like Plans of the Age Bought Roddy as this kind of figure helping everyone out saying Okay, this is what you do, this is how you look like this. That's such a lovely story. I'm glad to have heard that from you. Thank you.
Speaker 1: It's part of how I really grew to love this man, because there are just these instances over and over throughout his career where he showed how much he cared about the work as a whole. Yeah, he involved in the work. And if if I mean, the one thing that would make him, you know, really respond negatively to someone is if he felt they had been unkind or rude or obnoxious to someone, especially to somebody who couldn't fight back. You know, he I mean, he he was world famous at the age of twelve. Yeah. As much as his career took a lot of ups and down subsequently, he always knew that he was, you know, in our parlance, that he was privileged.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he was especially concerned that those who are not privileged not be taken advantage of. And he he was really that way in really all aspects of his life.
Speaker 2: Again, with that level of preparation you talk about, you know, fright night, that six page like a biography of the character that he was prior to doing it. And I look down his resume and I do't didn't realize how prolific he actually was even in his later years. This just like bang bang bang, credit after credit. I mean, did he always give that level of preparation to things.
Speaker 1: I think he did. He Now, when he was a little kid, he was curious about everything, but he didn't really have technique. He was just a kid.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the way that I would describe it is to say, you know, generally speaking, this is a This is very much an overgeneralization, but generally speaking, a child is playing in the moment and playing the text. They're not playing a lot of subtext. Usually it's very much like Okay, we're doing this. We're doing this, and if you can keep them kind of mindful and in the moment, you can get that performance out of them. And he talks about the way that john Ford worked with him on How Green was My Valley, and it was like, you know, he referred to it as john Ford playing him like an instrument that he just I mean, he just it was all about sort of responding and reacting in the moment. And you know, when he had that those giant eyes. So you just go in for close up, you look at his eyes and you're like, boom, you know that's yours. It hits you between the eyes. Emotionally, you look at him and Lassie come home, You look at the dog, you look at him, you start crying, right So you know, like, you know, there's not a lot of there's not a lot of technique that's required in those kinds of jobs. Now, as he became an adult, he realized, Okay, now I have no idea what I'm doing. Like I have, I have a certain presence that I understand how to kind of you know, work and how to use on a set, but I don't really know what I'm doing. And he had to learn how to approach a character really from the bottom up. And he studied, you know, he studied with with Montgomery, Cliff's acting coach, and with some other acting coaches, and he built a process that made sense to him. And I mean it's a little bit methody in places, but not really. And it's a little bit of this, and it's a little bit of that. But what he would do is he would map out everything that he thought the character might be feeling and thinking in response to everyone else, and that would all be mapped out, and then he would forget it. Like it was like he would do that work and then be completely open to it being something completely different if that's what happens. But surrounding himself with all that work, then he felt I think free to you know, to kind of respond very in the moment, very organically. And so it was kind of a way of preparing it all very much outside in and then allowing the inside to, you know, to inhabit the way that it wanted to.
Speaker 2: Fascinating because he just makes it look so effortless, but there's all that work that's that's gone into it. Wonderful, isn't there?
Speaker 1: Usually for everybody. You know, the more effortless it is, you know, the more the more hard work went into it. I think for most things.
Speaker 2: You talk about, how Roddy found himself at the heart of some really big pivotal Hollywood events, you know, Cleopatra, the passing of Rockwoods, and Elizabeth Taylor's relationship with Sybil Bett and Christopher. So why what was it about Roddy that made him kind of be at the center of all this?
Speaker 1: Well, I think I never underestimate the power of curiosity. I think most of us and I don't, you know, like I'm not putting the figure out other people. I'll put the favorite myself, you know. I think most of us we're like, we're curious about ourselves, you know, we want to talk about our own stuff. And it's rare. I think when somebody is smart and funny and curious about, well, what do you really think?
Speaker 3: Not?
Speaker 1: You know, not what do I think you think? So that I can then come up with my smart, funny response. I mean I think a lot of conversations, certainly. I mean, I've been in the entertainment business my whole life, since i was a little kid, and you know, most conversations are. You know, one person is nodding their head, thinking up the next clever thing that they're going to say. When the other person takes a breath.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and you know.
Speaker 1: It's he just didn't want to live that way. And he was a great storyteller, Like he remembered everything, and he remembered everything about about about Hollywood and about you know, the careers of people that he admired, and so you know, he could meet you and tell you things about your own work that you'd forgotten, you know, or or had been too drunk to remember. I mean, don't forget. He was hanging around with people like Richard Burton and Rex Harrison. There was a lot of drinking going up, so you know, he could remind Richard Burton how funny he had been that night when he said you know this or that or whatever. And I think he liked making people feel scene, you know, I mean, that's that's how we that's how we put it now. I think, you know, in his day, you didn't talk about you know, I want to feel seen or I want to but I think those that was really one of his special gifts. You know, I talked to Eleana Douglas and she was very close with with Roddy and he gave her away at her wedding to Jonathan axel Rod in the nineties and she was like, he just got me, Like he we met and he looked at me, and I felt like he saw everything that I was and everything that I hoped to become. And you know, and he wasn't interested in, you know, telling you that you couldn't be what you wanted to be. He wanted to find a way to help you become what ever it is that you that you thought you could become. And uh, and it's really you know, I interviewed a lot of people because unlike some of the other people that I've written about, Roddy was sort of multi generational. So in his older years he was still making friends and putting you know, bridges out to younger generations, where like you know, Caesar wasn't doing that. I've written about John Crawford, she really wasn't doing that, you know, like they were not interested in doing that. So when it came down to to write those books, there weren't a lot of people left, you know, that really remembered them. Roddy. Tons of people are around and I mean, I spoke with Chris Sarandon and William Ragsdale and Joanna Gleason and you know, all of these people and everyone. I think, I don't know if it's everyone everyone, but I think I but in my mind, I think it's actually everyone that I spoke with started crying when they talked about Roddy, but tears of joy. Not like they weren't like, they weren't like sad, they were just like it made them feel so much to remember how special they felt in his presence. And I think that is an enormous gift of you know, right now, a number of people that were not necessarily willing to talk to me when I was writing are now coming forward because they can read the book and see that it's not you know, it's not doing anything. You know, I'm not you know, trying to make a big scandal out of something. And you know, people like Carol Burnett and Julie Andrews and they're really you know, I am told so I don't know this for fact yet, but I am told that, you know that they're sort of loving the book and ready to talk about it themselves because he was so special to them. Yeah, you know, and it really is like that human. Sure they respect his achievements and they want to see him known for those achievements, but they just they loved him. I mean Melissa Rivers, she Joan Rivers and Roddy were close, and Melissa read the book and she was just like, you know, I loved him and he was my godfather, and I didn't know half this stuff, and it just makes me love him even more to be able to know these because he was somebody who lived very much in the present, So he wasn't going on about you know, this thing happened to me in nineteen forty six, you know, with little Melissa Rivers when she's ten, you know. And so so it's kind of a way that they're discovering bits about his past that that that brings them close to him as well.
Speaker 2: So I wasn't aware until I actually read the material about your book that Roddy was actually a gay man. You know, for some people, especially during his you know, most famous years. I suppose I could be you know, career ending thing. People navigated that in various ways. How did Roddy navigate it?
Speaker 1: Well, I think it was lucky for him to a degree that that he wasn't a leading man as an adult. I mean he had some leading man characters.
Speaker 3: I don't mean he wasn't the lead in anything, but he wasn't you know, he wasn't in that in the sixties, Like he wasn't George Papard or or you know, Robert Redford or somebody.
Speaker 1: He wasn't primarily a romantic lead. So I don't think people were as interested in his personal life, so he didn't really have to manufacture one. He Uh. One of the one of the happiest discoveries that I that I made in the archives was that throughout all of the correspondence with his with his friends, with his family, uh, not with his mother, but with everybody else in his family and with agents and studio execs and directors and other actors, his relationships were completely normalized. So you know, when he was he had a long term relationship with a man named John Varva Valvi. I'm sorry, in the sixties, and you know, every letter from the agent or from twenty century Fox, every letter was like, give my love to John. John sent me the funniest card the other day. Tell him it made me laugh. You know, just all the regular day to day normal things that I think I think those are among the most important things in terms of normalizing one's relationships. That, you know, I don't think it's so important that everyone can talk about their sex life, but I think it's very important that they can talk about their you know, their home life, their partnerships there, you know, those kinds of things. And so of the three relationships that I was able to you know, kind of piece together through correspondence and stuff, all three of those relationships were long term, were accepted by everyone in his life. And uh, there was no you know, there was no scandal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just wasn't a big deal.
Speaker 1: No, And uh and I actually i'm very I'm there, very adamant that I don't feel that, you know, I don't feel like i'm outing Roddy McDowell, you know, like I'm I'm First of all, he left his archives knowing someone would read them. Sure, So if he didn't want any of that information out there at any moment, he could have destroyed any of it. So I feel like there's a tacit approval of anything that is written about from his own archives because he saved them, and he saved them so that someone could research them. You know, they're not they're not in an archive just you know, to look pretty and be there. But it it, it just made me very happy because it I you know, you hate the idea of imagining that someone was sort of tormented or felt badly about things or something, and it doesn't seem that he did. And there's an there's a very weird, uh sort of subplot that goes out in the fifties though he his therapist at one point was the same therapist who ended up writing about Sybil, you know, the the most the slip personality, Sally Field. All of that well, Doctor Wilbur wrote a not very particularly disguised version of Roddy's case file that was printed in a national magazine, and at the time it was not necessarily I haven't been able to discover any anybody putting those pieces together at the time, like publicly at any rate. Now Roddy knew about it, and he did not write about it in his archives, but I can only imagine that he would have felt completely betrayed.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And doctor Wilber was kind of part of a kind of conversion therapy kind of idea that that in the fifties to be fair to her would not have seemed a bad idea to most people, Like most people would have thought, well, that's yeah, you want to make you know, make people, you know normal. So I don't want to vilify her for that being something that was that was on her sort of agenda, but I will vilify her for for betraying is his trust that way, and it left him I think maybe in some ways feeling very vulnerable, and he certainly couldn't sewer, because to sewer would be to drag out in public that yes, this is me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But maybe once that moment had passed, and that would have been I think around fifty eight, maybe, you know, maybe with that, with that moment past, I think maybe it gave him a little bit even more sense of like fearlessness. You know, well, you know, if you can get through that, then I guess nothing terrible is going to happen. I mean, he's in a truly terrible movie called Angel Angel Down we go in the late sixties with Jordan Christopher Sybil Burton, Christopher's husband who was kind of a nominal rock star and actor of the era. So he's playing this this sort of rock star and Robbie's playing this pan sexual kind of a hanger on who has a whole monologue about how he doesn't care and he's half naked most of the time, and he does this whole monologue about how he'll sleep with anybody that appeals to him and he doesn't care what their gender is. And I'm like this, Wow. I mean, I wish it were a better movie, because it's kind of crazy. It's a crazily bad movie. It's Jennifer Jones. I think it was the last movie, and that the lesbian focusing are holly near is in it. It's just it's one of those weird show business mashups where you just got to go. I don't know what anyone was thinking. This was a good idea, but it certainly didn't work.
Speaker 2: So Roddy died in nineteen ninety eight, I believe, and I'm gonna I'm going to tell you about my interaction with him. You can use this in your next book if you want. No such as it is. I don't think anyone's going to write about this one. But in nineteen ninety six, I was working in New York, and I believe that Roddy was living in Sagharbor at that time on Long Island, and I was working in a restaurant in Sag Harbor, and I'm not sure what it was, but for some reason I ran out of that restaurant. I was the reason why I ran out, I cannot remember. But when I came back, one of the chefs said to me, do you realize who you just nearly knocked over and then out of this place? And I'm like no, And it's like you nearly just knocked over Roddy McDowell. And first of all, I was devastated that I nearly knocked him over. You know, I we never collided or anything like that. I must have just ran past them really fast. And secondly, I was devastated that I missed my chance to meet Roddy McDowell, or you know, at least I was within a couple of feet of them. That's my Roddy mcdell's story.
Speaker 1: Well, he was there actually the I can't remember the name of the theater. I think it's the Bay Street Theater.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was very involved with that theater. So he didn't live there, but he sometimes spent quite a lot of time there and he did do things at the theater and so you could find him there in the summers.
Speaker 2: Obviously very sadly, you know, we passed away from cancer. And I understand this is something that he kept to himself. I mean, what's the story there.
Speaker 1: It really it was fast. I mean, even though I mean it's not he did keep it to himself, but it was a fast thing. He was doing six shows a week, seven shows a week at Madison Square Garden in front of six thousand people, you know, doing a Christmas Carol and he was alternating with Oh my gosh, it slipped my mind. Oh how hal London they were. They were alternating the role of Scrooge, and he he struggled lifting tiny tim okay, and he like he he wrenched something in back and he thought, oh, you know, like I'm going to have to get that looked at. And so that was you know, they closed the run, I guess January first, and he went back to California, went to his chiropractor, didn't help. He went to you know, his massage therapist really didn't help. And he had late stage lung cancer and you know, he it was diagnosed I think in February, and he kept it to himself until about I think it started getting out in about September, and so he did keep it to himself for about six months. And you know, it was appro He worked constantly, you know, I mean constantly, he was traveling. There was a I don't remember which anniversary edition, I guess it would have been the thirtieth anniversary of Planet of the Apes coming around. He was doing events in different cities for that, and he was recording all of the animated shows that he did voices for. You know, he just and he did, you know, like seven hundred interviews for A and E's biography. You know, he shows up for every single you know, Shirley Temple, It's like he knew them all. And so he was doing a lot of those and it became clear relatively early on that it was not, you know, that it was not going to get better.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And one of the only people that he let in on it was actually the actress Doris Roberts. They were close, and he knew that Doris could keep it to herself and not turn it into him taking care of her.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: I think what he knew would happen, and I think he was right is that because of the relationship that he had with so many people, and because he was such a person that people looked to for advice, for love, for kindness, he was I think he understood that he would not be able to do all the things that he wanted to do before he died, getting ready, getting all of his estate stuff ready, if he had to take care of all of his friends and loved ones who were going to be in you know, a very difficult place emotionally. And it tortured Doris Roberts that because she was just like, well, what about Elizabeth, what about Sybil? You have to tell these people, I mean, and it's kind of extraordinary that that really his two best friends were these two women who were I mean, they weren't mortal enemies or anything, but they were certainly not friends. You know, Sybil had been married to Richard Burton when when he started his affair with Elizabeth Taylor during Cleopatra, they were all, I mean, these villas, this was a hot bed of activity, and reportedly so Roddy and John Valva were staying in the same villa with Richard and Sybil Burton and their kids, and then Elizabeth Taylor was with Eddie Fisher, like right next door in their villa, and everyone was sleeping with everybody, And apparently John Valves started an affair with Sybil Burton Well during that time, so you know, so he was cheating on Roddy with Sybil. This did not affect Roddy's love for Sybil in any way, I guess. And all those years later, at his deathbed, one of the last two people at his side were Sybil and Elizabeth Taylor together and he told them that he wanted them to do this thing for him. He was a longtime supporter of the Motion Picture Television and Film Film and Television Fund, you know where the country homes in Woodland Hills where retired actors lived, and he wanted them to create a rose garden in his memory. And it's got the statue of him as Caesar from the last two found of the Apes movies. And an artist who was a friend of theirs named Adam Kurtzman did a sculpture of Roddy that's at this pond where you know, with this whole rose garden. And he told Sybil and Elizabeth Taylor that they were going to raise this money, We're gonna have this built together and if they didn't do it together, and if they didn't get along, he would haunt them, and he meant it. And I have that from a man who was in the room and heard him say it, So it's it's it's still secondhand to me. I wasn't there, but it's but it's from first hand somebody that was in that room and heard him say, I will haunt you if you don't do this.
Speaker 2: Wonderful, wonderful.
Speaker 1: And a couple of years later, when they when they you know, when they opened the Rose Garden at the induction of the ceremony and everything unscripted, total surprise to everyone, Elizabeth Taylor publicly apologized to Sybil Burton for stealing her husband forty five years before, which is its kind of you know, mental when you think about it, like, oh it was Does anyone even remember any of this? But but I guess you know, people did, and it made they made headlines all over again. Now.
Speaker 2: I think when anyone writes a biography about someone, especially if the person is no longer with us, there's a huge responsibility to that person to do it well, to do it right. And I think maybe a bit of an extra responsibility for you in that Roddy quite famously, I think, said that it was something that he never wanted to happen because he was scared it would just focus on the salacious nature of things. And so how have you navigated this project?
Speaker 1: Nobody who really doesn't want someone to write about them has archive, like let's you know, like if you really don't want a book about you, and maybe don't save all your stuff, and so there's that. I hope that that he would like the book. It is really a celebration of his life and his achievements, and I couldn't I couldn't possibly love him more than I do. So it's you know it. I mean, I'm not unreservedly sort of positive or you know, a cheerleader about each and every project he ever did or anything like that. I mean, I certainly look at his work with a critical eye, But I think there's a real difference between people who want to write about others in order to explore them and to celebrate their achievements and people who want to sort of dissect them and tear them apart. I'm I'm not a fan of that approach to sort of life. I think I'm sort of like Roddy in that way. I want to feel like wherever I've been that that I'm leaving whatever it is, I'm leaving it a little bit better than I found it. Like I'm I'm you know, I'm, I'm you know, first, do no harm, you know. And and so I think he would like it. I have. So I have a very bizarre I write about it in the introduction, and I write about it with a little bit of trepidation because it is so bizarre. But so I have a friend here in Portugal who is by trade. He works with yoga and tantra and all these, you know, sort of spiritual things. But he also we were having dinner one night and he looked over at me and he goes, you know, he knew I was writing about Rodney McDowell and he didn't know much about him. And he said, did Rodney Mottewell smoke? And I'm like, yeah, like a chimney. He died of lung cancer. Yes, he smoked all the time. And he's like, and did he wear scarves? And I go, well, yeah, he famously had this collection of air mess scarves and why And so my friend Jose he goes, oh, well, I think he was in my bedroom last night and then he was like, you know, past assault. It was like, oh no, no, hold on, wait wait wait wait he what and so so we had a seance and it was so not like a seance, it was like just conversation. But but he he said that apparently because I had been I had gotten the galley's back on the Caesar Romero book and was busy on that and had stopped working on on the Roddy book. And he said that Roddy just wanted to nudge me and that, you know, the esteemed mister Romero. Notwithstanding this is you're on my time now.
Speaker 2: And I thought it sounds legit.
Speaker 1: You know. If he told me some other things and some other you know, if I relied on any of that as actual research for the book, I think I would, you know, lose my writer's license or whatever. I do not, and I certainly do not put that out there as some kind of de facto saying that, oh, of course Roddy approves. I don't know. I don't know if there's life after death, you know, But I'm just a writer. What do I know? But but I will confess that I found it in normal Lee kind of you know, happy to me that he told me that Roddy said that he chose me. That he was like, I've been waiting and I chose you. And like the thing about that that I find so sweet is that, even if it's a loadable and it's not real at all, it's kind of the kind of affectionate sort of shot in the arm that Roddy McDowell would give people like, you know, like I chose you, like you're you know, you matter, you're special and you know, so in that respect, it feels to me a little bit like, uh, like something that that is of him, even if I have no earthly idea if it was you know, if it was true, but it's but it certainly it certainly adds to the Hollywood circus atmosphere, you know, of his life, of my life, of all of our lives.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that's a beautiful note to finish this on Samuel. Where can people get the book anywhere?
Speaker 1: Well, it's not actually out until May twenty sixth, but you can pre order it now anywhere where you know. Online books are available and it'll be in bookstores I believe in the UK as well as the United states at the end of May.
Speaker 2: Wonderful. Well, Samuel. You know you talk about leaving things a little better than you find and when I think through my conversation with you today, that's certainly how I feel. So thank you so much. It's been an absolute delight to talk to you, and I can't wait to read the book.
Speaker 6: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: You know, I count myself very privileged to have the conversations that I have with people, and that conversation was no exception. What a delightful man, and I really enjoyed talking to him, and I have pre ordered a copy of the book, and I think it's a book that I may have picked up anyway because I've always enjoyed Roddy McDowell, but I'm definitely going to do that now after that conversation with Samuel. So I'll put links in the show notes about how you can get to Samuel's website, and of course some links to buy the book. So before we go, I just want to make a quick mention that I recently announced that I'm going to be at Sailing Fest in August twenty twenty six. Quite what I'll be doing there yet, I don't know, but one thing that I certainly will be doing is hanging out speaking to people. And if you're going to Sailing Fest, then I want to meet you there. And I'd like to thank the following people whose kindness generosity means that I will definitely be there, because now I've been able to book my ticket and I'll be on that plane to New York. So, first of all, Cassie, my good friend, thank you so much for your contribution and I look forward to seeing you at Sailing Fest again. My friend Joe Mayer, who is the host of the Key of Imagination YouTube show, a great show about the Twilight Zone. Thank you so much, Joe, I really appreciate it. Jason Schwartz, the host of The Twilight Zone Sandbox podcast. Thank you so much, Jason. Again, I can't wait to see you there. My friend Mark Ramsey, who is one of the best in the business when it comes to podcasting and he's always been a great supporter of this show. Thank you so much, Mark, I really appreciate it. Maxwell Gabbis, thank you so much for your contribution. I really appreciate it. A longtime friends of the show, David Trimboli, Thank you so much. I I really appreciate your contribution to my old friend Harold Clark. Thank you for chipping in, Harold. I really appreciate it and I cannot wait to see you at sailing Fest again. Michael fairnback, Michael, thank you so much. I really appreciate your contribution. Longtime friends of the show, Drooman always popping up here and there. Thank you so much. Drouman, and I understand you're going to Sailing Fest too, so I can't wait to see you there now. Josh and Rhode Island has been an amazing generous supporter of the Twilight Zone podcast for a while now, so Josh, thank you so much. Your generosity really kind of s sent this fundraising over the edge and allowed me to get to where I need to be. So thank you, Josh. I understand you're going to Sailing Fest two and I can't wait to break bread with you there. Emma from London, Emma, thank you so much. It was really generous of you and I appreciate it so much. So thank you. Chris Jasinski. Chris, thank you so much for your contribution and I appreciate your part in sending me to Sailing Fest this year. My old friend benk Cake and Ben, thank you so much for your contribution. I really appreciate that too. I want to thank Andrew Neff, thank you so much for your contribution. Andrew really generous of you, and I appreciate you helping me make the journey. My old friend Mark Barnhill. Mark another great supporter of the show and of me over the years and one of the funnest guys you're ever going to meet. I look forward to getting back together with you at sailing Fest this year. Mark. And Dane Bauman another one of those people who has really delighted me with his generosity over the years, and once again one of the major contributors to my being able to go to Sailing Fest this year. So thank you, Dane. I also want to thank the men members over at the After Hours Club who not only keep the lights on at the Twilight Zone podcast, but also give me the ability to do things like Sailing Fest. Now, I might have fallen behind a bit with these, so I'm going to go back and make sure that I've picked everyone up who's joined in recent memory. So I want to thank Lisa, Thank you, Lisa, Peter Gamble, Peter, thank you so much. Marvin Ducklow Marvin, thank you for being there, Taylor Taylor, thank you so much, and Robin Moore, Thank you, Robin. Also Josh, thank you, Josh, Emma, thank you so much for joining, Emma, and Audrey Escalante. Audrey, thank you so much for joining. Hack Torrance, thank you, Hack. And Bucia seventy eight, thank you so much for joining. Josh Anderson, Thank you, Josh. I appreciate it and ours had a great conversation with ours over on Patreon. Thank you so much. And then we have Dale Wagner, Thank you, and also Clifford, thank you so much for joining at the After Hours Club. Okay, so if you too want to support the twilight Zone podcast or my trip to Sailing Fest, then head over to the twilight Zone podcast dot com slash donate. So the big question is when are the episode reviews coming back the usual format of the Twilight Zone podcast. Well, honestly, now that have cleared the decks of a few things, it is my priority, so hopefully it'll be in the not too distant future. So watch this space and I will speak to you soon. Bye for now, No