Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Ok F I and kost HT two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: And Amy Kay.
Speaker 1: Good morning. It's five o'clock. This is your wake up call for Thursday, August twenty second. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Thank you for starting your day with us, whether you're listening in your car or and your home as you're getting the kids up and getting ready. Getting up was a little tough today. And this is just me whining because I know that we're all getting up early. But this Democratic National Convention, which I've told you I'm a junkie and I love watching all of this stuff, it's killing me because it's going late. Although I will say that Tim Walls did his speech last night and it was like ten minutes. It was perfect. Bill Clinton, however, rambled on and on, but that's a whole other thing. But I'm glad it's almost over because I need to get some sleep. But now it's time to wake up. So here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. Vice President Kamala Harris will officially accept the Democratic nomination for president today on the final night of the DNC in Chicago. Her running mate, Minnesota Governor Tim Walls, accepted the nomination for a vice president last night and called former President Trump's agenda weird, wrong, and dangerous. Gary and Shannon are at the DNC. We're going to be talking with Gary before the top of the hour to get the latest from Chicago. What's up today as Kamala gets ready to accept the Democratic noweination that's coming up again at about five point fifty Twenty eight people have been arrested for allegedly stealing tractors from farms in Ventura County. Police say the tractors were taken earlier this month from farms near Camio and Oxnard. Most of the tractors recovered had been gutted and are missing batteries and wiring and other electrical components. Police they say they're still looking for more people who were involved in the tractor thefts. Job growth in the US has been revised from earlier numbers showing it was much weaker than first reported. The Bureau of Labor Statistics found there was an eight hundred and eighteen thousand less jobs from April of last year to March of this year. The revised findings come as the Federal Reserve ways a rate cut next month. Wake up call going out and about we're getting a little wild for some Friday night fun. That's coming up at the bottom of the hour at six oh five. It's handle on the news. The slipping and sliding is worse than they thought in Rencho Palace Verdies Bill's going to be telling you about that. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Minnesota Governor Tim Walls has accepted the Democratic Party's nomination for vice president. Walls is a former high school football coach and used a football analogy last night to tell the crowd at the DNC what Democrats need to do to win the election in November. Get in the trenches and do the blocking and tackling.
Speaker 4: One inch at a time, one yard at a time, one phone call at a time.
Speaker 1: Walls thanked Vice President Harris for choosing him as her running mate, and he thanked President Biden for what he said were four years of strong, historic leadership. Oprah Winfrey was a guest speaker at the DNC. She reached out to independent and undecided voters.
Speaker 5: You know I'm telling you the truth that values and character matter most of all.
Speaker 1: She says, decency and respect are on the ballot. In twenty twenty four, a fire that has burned at least sixteen acres in the Angelus National Forest near Sunland is fifty percent surrounded. The fire was reported late yesterday afternoon along North Big Tahanga Canyon Road. Firefighters from LA City and County have been assisting the Forest Service. The cause of the fires being investigated. Officials in La have some questions about the feasibility of a convention center expansion plan.
Speaker 2: The estimated one point four billion dollar project has a short timeline. City leaders have said if they move forward now, they need to know it'll be finished in time to host Olympic events in twenty twenty eight. City Administrator Matt Zaebo told the city Council's Tourism Committee this week, one lingering question is how much money can be generated by signage.
Speaker 6: Our position has been and will necessarily be, that we need to maximize the revenue associated with signage.
Speaker 2: The project would cost the city nearly thirty million dollars a year for thirty years. Zabo says revenue from signage and convention events should offset that. In downtown La Michael Monks kfi knew.
Speaker 1: Let's say good morning to ABC's Stephen Portnoite. So Stephen who a funk? Robert F. Kennedy Junior may endorse Donald Trump.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it looks like it's going to happen. Our ABC News reporting is that, according to multiple sources, that RFK Junior is considering dropping out of the race and endorsing Donald Trump as early as tomorrow. RFK Junior has said he's going to have a major address to the country tomorrow. He is scheduled to be in Arizona. That's the same state where Donald Trump is scheduled to be tomorrow, and there has been increasing talk in recent days about RFK Junior dropping out endorsing Trump. His own running mate, Nicole Shanahan, has said that this is under consideration and would require, in her words, a significant commitment by Trump to give Bobby true authority to execute. Also this week, Donald Trump Junior, the former president's son, said in an interview he loves the idea of giving some sort of role in some sort of major three letter entity or wherever it may be, and let him blow it up. You could think of maybe the FDA or some other government agency where Robert F. Kennedy Junior may be interested in having some authority or role. Just a few minutes ago, the former president was on Fox News he still is as we speak, and they asked him about this, and he wouldn't deny it. He simply said it'd be a nice thing. He praised Robert F. Kennedy Jr. As a something like a smart.
Speaker 1: Person or a very good person.
Speaker 5: It's interesting because recently, as Kennedy has had been doing better in the polls, Trump has been trashing him, calling him one of the most liberal lunatics ever to run for office and a phony radical left fool. Well, let's see what happens next. I should tell you that in the recent weeks, Robert F. Kennedy Junior has seen his support cratering since the race has changed since Joe Biden is out and Kamala Harris is In our ABC News Washington Post Eipsos poll a month ago had RFK with ten percent support. Now it's down to five because it seems to many people who had been supporting Robert F. Kennedy Junior are now supporting Kamala Harris or perhaps Trump. Maybe they saw him at the convention in Milwaukee and decided they would rather vote for him. The bottom line is RFK is seeing his support decline, he's running out of money, he's seemingly getting out of the race.
Speaker 1: And didn't he go to team Kamala first? I think I heard rumblings of that.
Speaker 5: Yep, we are reporting that there was an initial attempt on RFK Junior's part to try to reach out to Harris.
Speaker 1: Didn't get very far. So, I mean, it's a really interesting thing, Stephen, because it's like, Okay, well, if you won't support me, then I'll go over to Trump's team. It's like it's a just feels like a power grab.
Speaker 5: But for what, Well, that's a very good observation and a good question and what we'll have to see. I mean, ultimately, the idea of sort of horse trading for a patronage job in exchange for an endorsement is not altogether unheard of in American politics. It is unseemly, however, and especially when it's on display as this seems to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's such a it's so blatant. So but like you said, it's happened before, but does it happen kind of cross party like this. That's I think what makes it a little more unusual.
Speaker 5: Well, and especially given just you know, the unusual nature of the Trump candidacy in the last eight plus years and just the dynamic of American politics today, it could have the appearance of crassness and you know, just selfish kind of sort of indulgence in all this. But let's let's see what comes of it. We don't yet know exactly how it's going to play out. Although our sources are telling us that RFK Junior is interested in pursuing this, I should tell you I have to mention it. My colleague Jonathan Carl actually spoke yesterday to Robert F. Kennedy JR. RFK Junior would not confirm or deny our reporting. He wouldn't talk about Trump, but he did have plenty to say about Harris. He said he's disappointed by the way his former Democratic party coalesced behind her. He said, that's not democracy.
Speaker 1: Okay, Steven Portnoy, we'll be watching probably talking to you about this again very soon. Thank you so much. You bet all right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. LA County Sheriff's deputies have arrested two guys who allegedly pointed a bb gun out the window of an suv at Pepperdine University. The Student newspapers's the pair drove on to campus around three yesterday afternoon. They were arrested about a half hour later. California Senate Republicans have criticized legislation that would change how teachers deal with unlawful student behavior. The bill would make it optional, rather than mandatory, for students to be reported to law enforcement for drug possession, if they disturb a public school meeting, or if a teacher or staff is assaulted or threatened.
Speaker 4: But the bottom line is, the majority of Californians want to be safe. The majority of Californians are fed up with criminal outlaw situation here in California, and they want reforms, and this goes in the wrong direction.
Speaker 1: Senate Minority Leader Brian Jones says it's a dangerous risk for schools. Jones expects the bill will go before the Senate floor again sometime next week. Lawmakers in California have announced a deal with Google to fund local newsrooms. The agreement will shelve a bill that would have required Google to pay news outlets for distributing their content. Instead, at least two hundred and forty million will be funding newsrooms as well as AI programs for the next five years. Governor Newsom says the deal supports hundreds of new journalists and rebuilds the California Press Corps. Union journalists repped by Media Guild of the West, reject the deal. The last four trains for LAX's much delayed automated people mover have arrived at the airport. The cars arrived from a manufacturer in Pennsylvania. The plan is to have of the forty four cars now at the airport start moving people around by January of twenty twenty six, ahead of the twenty twenty six World Cup and the twenty twenty eight Summer Olympics.
Speaker 3: God.
Speaker 1: Yep, California is a pretty fun place. A new wallet hug study just released says California ranks the second most fun state in America. Well, who the heck is going to beat us? Huh? Apparently Florida did. Florida is the most fun state. I don't know. I might buy that, but California is ranked number one in the number of restaurants per capita. We got some good food here. The number of movie theaters per capita. We got some good movie theaters too. I know that, like Nick and I love to go to the ones where they serve you food and for me cocktails. Also, amusement parks were number one. We have the most. We have the most performing arts theaters and the most fitness centers, which I do not partake in. But we were dragged down in the overall rankings because we're eleventh for casinos per capita, which is fine with me, and we also have we're fifteenth for the number of golf courses and country clubs. I would see where Florida might have a little more in the way of golf courses, but we're number two. I'm okay with that. Oh, in the least fun state is West Virginia. Good to know. Former President Trump has held his first outdoor rally since his attempted assassination in Butler, Pennsylvania. He was surrounded by bulletproof glass At the rally in Ashboro, North Carolina. Trump went after Kamala Harris, saying she'll destroy our country, just like she destroyed San Francisco. Traces of lead have been found in the tap water flowing into homes in Watts. Results of a study released yesterday show that many of the water samples that tested positive for lead were taken in public housing units where the pipes haven't been replaced since nineteen eighty five. Health experts say the lead poses the greatest risk to pregnant women and kids. Chick fil A is launching its own streaming platform. It's working with several production companies to create family friendly shows, particularly reality series. Oh great, just what we need more reality shows. At six o five, it's handled on the news. You can bet he's going to have a little bit of a take on the convention last night. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jim Ryan, who is not inside the convention center. He's outside, And I have to tell you, Jim, I'm feeling a little bit like you've cheated on me.
Speaker 7: Yes, by the way, the Chick fil A channel interesting, I.
Speaker 1: Know, right, yeah, So let's get back to this cheating thing.
Speaker 7: Go ahead, Yes, sorry, So you were.
Speaker 1: On with Gary and Shannon, huh.
Speaker 7: I've been on with him every day for what all right, yeah, well they're the afternoon crew. All right, I only do I do what I'm told to do. They can choose here.
Speaker 1: Okay. So, as the DNC heads to its big closing night, how are the protests going.
Speaker 7: Well, Yes, there was another big demonstration yesterday, peaceful, over a thousand people or so. I suspect. We're in Union Park and they held a rally there and then marched over to another small park near United Center, then marched back to the previous park and broke up and went home.
Speaker 1: So peaceful.
Speaker 7: One guy was upon a railroad bridge, one of these overhead l bridges, and waving a Palestinian flag. He came down, police told him to and he did. That was it as far as the big protests that happened. But it was a small, essentially a one man protest later in the evening at United Center that has attracted a lot of attention. Naming, we're talking about the Michigan uncommitted delegate boss Alawilla, who is demanding that a pro Palestinian speaker be given some time on the podium. Well, yesterday we heard from the parents of an American who's being held hostage in Gaza by Hamas. So yesterday Boss began this sit and he's still sitting on the steps outside the United Center making that demand.
Speaker 1: He's still there, yeah, okay, and.
Speaker 7: His supporters, a few supporters are as well as well.
Speaker 1: Okay. But so it's interesting because I had heard as many as like one hundred or like one hundred and fifty thousand people were going to show up to protest. It hasn't materialized like that at all.
Speaker 7: Well, it hasn't. And in fact, the crowd this twelve or thirteen hundred who gathered yesterday in marched, many of them are locals who stage that demonstration pretty much every weekend, the same pro Palestinian message that they're trying to get out. They do it every weekend, taking the same little march rout et cetera. And so yeah, this talk of tens and tens of thousands of protests. Of course, we have one more day of the convention, and we have two protests that are planned, simultaneous demonstrations that are planned. So we'll see how this shakes out. But to this point, I mean, the overwhelming numbers of Chicago police officers time off has been canceled for now have been able to control crowds pretty easily.
Speaker 1: Well that's I mean, that's good because I think that a lot of people were concerned that it was just going to be crazy and out of control. So again, did you're right to protest, do it all day long, but keep it peaceful. Now, things did get a little out of control. We didn't talk to you yesterday, but at the Israel outside the Israeli Consulate on Tuesday night it did.
Speaker 7: Right there. You had maybe one hundred fifty And this is a smaller, maybe more militant group, much harder edge in its online presence, did not have a permit for the protest that had staged there in front of the Israeli Consulate. And yes, the police were there. Of course they were in front of the consulate. It's a city building, it's a skyscraper across the street from anther skyscrapers. So the police were on either end of the block right to keep this group from going on into traffic for causing problems beyond this, But when this group physically began pushing against the police to try to get through, that's when it turned a little ugly. And this group then moved through the streets. You know, they essentially made a big circle around this one city block. The police said that's it. They called it in a and you know, a uncertified or un you know, a mass disturbance essentially, and began mass arrests. There was something like seventy people taking into custody on various charges. Two people were heard minor injuries. Three reporters were among those folks who were taken into custody.
Speaker 1: Reporters were taken into custody.
Speaker 7: Yeah, for you know, they kept telling everybody to get on the sidewalk during this demonstration, and once it started moving, I think these journalists got caught where they shouldn't have been and were taken into custody along with some of the demonstrators.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you'll be watching in case there's any trouble today. And then are you gonna cheat on me again today?
Speaker 7: I have not seen my afternoon schedule, but I would say probably so, yes.
Speaker 1: All right, fine, I hope you're having fun.
Speaker 7: I'm not having fun. Oh, this is hard work. It goes from three in the morning untill eleven o'clock at night. I'll tell you, no, it's not fun.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, then you're like with me because I was saying at the top of the show, is like, I can't wait for this to be over because I'm a junkie and I love watching the convention and I'm really interested in it. But they go late and for somebody who gets up at two thirty in the morning.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well crimea river, I know, right.
Speaker 1: Wheah, wheah, Thank you so much. I have a great day, Jim. Say hi to Gary and Shannon for me. Okay, well, all right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A federal judge in LA has rejected an effort by lawyers for Hunter Biden to have a tax case against him tossed out. He's charged with failing to pay at least one point four million dollars in taxes. For Biden claims that federal prosecutors want to deliberately smear the character of the president's son. Attorney said during a hearing yesterday that jurors may hear possibly inflammatory details of Hunter Biden's personal life during the trial. Jury's selections expected to begin September fifth. A witness has helped police find a shoplifter at the Irvine Spectrum Center who was hiding under a blanket in the trunk of her Tesla. Irvine PDS Kyle Oldorp says the woman tried to claim she was hiding last week because people were chasing her and her vehicle.
Speaker 6: Officers were able to recover six hundred dollars worth of stolen Sappora items and about two hundred and fifty.
Speaker 1: Dollars worth of stolen Lululemon merchandise. Oldorp says the woman said she already had those items in her purse when she went into the shopping center. She was booked for resisting arrest, shoplifting, and using pliers as a tool for burglary. Video has been released that shows the fatal shooting of a dad in South La just weeks before the holidays.
Speaker 8: Mark What Scott was returning from Christmas shopping when two people got out of a car in one of them shot Scott. Scott's mother says there are four child car seats in her son's car when he was killed.
Speaker 1: And he usually would take the children with them, but he wanted to surprise them their gifts were in that car.
Speaker 8: Investigators say Scott was mistaken for a gang member last year. They say another man was injured in the shooting. A fifty thousand dollars reward has been offered for information leading to the killer's arrests and convictions. In South La Blake Trolley KFI News.
Speaker 1: The US government has approved four hundred million dollars in upgrades for a sewage treatment plant near the border. The money will go toward expanding the South Bay Wastewater Treatment Plant's ability to treat sewage flowing north from Mexico from twenty five to fifty million gallons a day. Dolly Parton kind of like the energizer budding, right, she just keeps going and keeps going. She's launching Dolly's Beauty makeup today. She'll be introducing the Heaven's Kiss lipstick collection, which includes the shade Jolene red very appropriate. The rest of the beauty line will be rolled out at a later date. Tomorrow night, the Dodgers take on the Tampa bay Rays. First pitch is going out at seven to ten. You can listen to every play of every Dodgers game on AM five to seventy LA Sports and stream all the games in HD on the iHeartRadio app keyword AM five to seventy LA Sports powered by LA Care for All of LA. Vice President Kamala Harris will officially accept the Democratic nomination for president today on the final night of the Democratic National Convention in Chicago. Her running mate, Minnesota Governor Tim Wallas, accepted the nomination for vice president last night and called former Trump's former President Trump's agenda weird, wrong, and dangerous. More than fifty cats have been rescued from a woman's home in Irvine, some of them malnourished and in poor health. Willy say the woman was breeding and selling the cats for up to one thousand dollars apiece. The cats have been taken to Irvine Animal Care Center, where they're going to be treated and then hopefully put up for adoption. Taylor Swift says she was devastated to have to cancel her Vienna shows because of a terror plot. In a lengthy Instagram post, she said the cancelations filled her with fear and guilt because she had to cancel shows that so many people were planning to come to see. The post came after she wrapped up the European leg of her tour at six o five. It is handled on the news both former President Trump and independent presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Junior are going to be in Phoenix tomorrow coincidence maybe not. At five point fifty, we're going to be talking with Gary of Gary and Shannon Live at the Democratic National Convention. We got former President Clinton, we got Oprah, we got Tim Walls. But where in the heck is Kamala Harris? That's what I want to know? Let zo Okay, you know that feeling, I just look at you. They just rest right now, Let's start to the zoo. Just love that line. How long ago was that movie? Jerry Maguire? It was forever ago. But one of my favorites, wake Up Call is going a little wild. Right here in La. We're going out and about for Zoo Friday Nights at the La Zoo going on this summer. We caught up with the marketing director for the Greater Los Angeles Zoo Association, Emily Marin. So Emily tell us why Friday night is such a great time to go to the zoo.
Speaker 6: We have Zoo Friday Nights, which is an all ages event where you can explore nearly the entire zoo during twilight and see what your favorite animals get up to during these cooler hours.
Speaker 1: Sound my favorite already. And so you mentioned the cooler hours. So it's hot during the summer, yeah, like ninety degrees out and stuff. So the animals kind of tend to be a little more chill during the day and they move around a little more in the evening as it cools off.
Speaker 6: So many of them do.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 6: During the afternoon, animals kind of wind down, they find shade, they can take naps. But in the twilight they many of them, like the giraffes, uh, come out and you can get these great views in the cooler, cooler hours here with the beautiful you know, sun setting behind the trees and the and the hills and it's just magical.
Speaker 1: And I love this because you know, the zoo is one of those places that it's there. You drive by it all the day. Yeah, as you're driving up the five, you're passing the zoo every day, Right, you kind of forget that it's here sometimes because it's just part of la So that's why you wanted to remind you, And Zoo Friday Nights is a great way to do that. You might hear a little music in the background because that's part of the event too.
Speaker 6: There's live music. There is a family dance party with a DJ and fun games. I know, so great.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: There is a paint party where you can paint a masterpiece of your own and take the canvas home, all for free with the ticket price. We have some of LA's best food trucks.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, Oh, you don't even have to have dinner. You come on out, you have your stroll around the zoo, see some beautiful childlife.
Speaker 6: Yes, and we also have full bars for guests twenty one and older. So yeah, it's an all ages event, so there's something for everybody.
Speaker 1: And it's each Friday night through August. Yes, so we still have two more to go. So still that's a lot of time to do it. And then you mentioned that we can we have access to almost all of the zoo because you said at some other zoo events you only have parts of the zoo opens, right.
Speaker 6: This evening is about enjoying the zoo during this special time of day. So from six to eight, most of the zoo is open, and then our layer, our reptile house, is open until eight thirty. And then throughout the evening you'll encounter live music education stations, which I didn't mention before with my favorite the scoop on poop.
Speaker 1: Oh great, okay, it's so fun.
Speaker 6: It's interactive, but you're not actually handling poop, okay.
Speaker 1: And so just as a refresher, what some of the majestic animals that we're going to see? Of course the giraffes, which are some of my favorite and look, oh it's feeding time. Yes, So what are some of the other animals gorillas?
Speaker 6: We have our family group that you can see, which are so amazing with our youngster Angela.
Speaker 1: Okay, I gotta go see this, and.
Speaker 6: She's so rambunctious and wonderful. The elephants are out. You can explore our Australia section with kangaroos and koalas and castlewarries which are giant like dinosaur like birds. We have our Rainforests of the Americas exhibit with giant otter and jaguar and howler monkeys.
Speaker 1: And so I'm just giving the teaser on this. I can't wait to go run around and go see it, right, So Emily, tell me why, because there are people who go, oh, animals shouldn't be in zips and I get them. Yeah, tell me why. It's so important that they are.
Speaker 6: What we do here is all about conservation, and that's not just been I'm not just saying that the expertise that our keepers and other animal care staff and our veterinarians get from directly working with these animals benefits conservation efforts in the wild. Absolutely does. Our keepers go out in the field all the time to assist those efforts. Also, we fund a lot of conservation globally. We've helped the work of zoos. Through the work of zoos, we've literally brought back species like the iconic California condor. You guys just breaking near certain extinction. Yes, and that breeding success where our record breaking year with a number of chicks, most of whom are destined to be introduced into the wild and repopulating their wild range.
Speaker 1: To me, I feel like when you come and you see a graft, they're not over with us right now, but they were up close. I mean they were probably less than ten feet away. When you see that and experience it, I mean, it's it's that it's at empathy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and we're in spired. You can't care about something, you can't save something that you don't care about, absolutely, and this is this place is where you develop those connections with wildlife and with nature. We have so much of a focus on native plants as well, which support pollinators who are so important to our ecosystem. So we're really inspiring that next generation of conservationists and it's all working together.
Speaker 1: I love that. And if you would like to come together with the La Zoo Zoo Friday Nights. Yes, when again is it? And where do we get more information?
Speaker 6: Go to lazoo dot org slash Zoo Friday Nights. Tickets are just twenty five dollars for adults, twenty for our children, and our members get the screaming deal of fifteen dollars per ticket. Falcon Street and parking is free, which is such a gift in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: Right, Emily friend, thank you so much. It's Zoo Friday Nights. We're out and about for wake up call. Just two more weeks of Zoo Friday Nights are left, so this Friday and next Friday, because they're going through August. And I hadn't I mentioned I hadn't been to the zoo any It's really cool. I know that a lot of people don't believe in zoos, but like she said, you can't care about something you don't know about, and so it's a really a really great chance to go and see some just spectacular animals and food, trucks and music and a lot of fun. And I'm posting the interview on my Instagram at Amy Kking and also at KFI AM six forty. I hope you'll follow me too at Amy K King and you can see some of the animals. Got to see gorillas, which were really really cool. Now let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A government agency is looking to force a fix for odors from the Chiquita Canyon landfill.
Speaker 2: Neighbors as far as five miles away have reported stink from the landfill in northwest La County. South Coast air Quality Management District Attorney Catherine Roberts says Chiquita Canyon has had many months to address the complaints and hasn't.
Speaker 9: They have now become a crisis because they were not correct they managed and as a result, most of the activities today are about immediate emergency actions.
Speaker 2: The district wants immediate mitigation efforts, including a three hour stop on some operations every morning during high winds. The issue is before the district's hearing board. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Authorities in Italy say they're trying to figure out what caused a luxury yacht to sink so fast off the coast of Sicily during a storm. Fifteen people were rescued on Monday. The yacht's chef was found dead soon after the boat capsized. Four bodies have been recovered by rescue divers, veterans sailor skip novaksas. Since the boat was anchored in the Mediterranean, there's a chance the doors could have been left open overnight.
Speaker 2: If the boat wasn't completely water at the deck, you'd have flooding going in and it wouldn't take long for the boat to lose its stability.
Speaker 1: Witnesses reported seeing a water spout or a tornado before the yacht went down. A brother and sister from Reno have become the youngest ever to kayak the Grand Canyon. ABC's Michelle Fransen says the old record was held by an eleven year old and a ten year old. The brother and sister paddled eighteen days, sometimes twenty miles each day to make the two hundred and eighty mile journey through the winding Majestic Canyon. She says. The girl is eyeing a new goal. She want to make, wants to make the women's junior team when she is fifteen. She's got a long way to go. Doesn't that sound great? Kayaking through the Grand Canyon? That would be absolutely beautiful. By the way, thanks for starting your day with us. The number of people arrested at the US Mexico border has dropped by fifty percent. Customs and Border Protections says there were more than fifty six thousand migrant encounters along the southern border in July sixteen thousand. We're in the San Diego sector. The numbers have been going down since President Biden's executive order closed the border when asylum claims hit twenty five hundred during a seven day period. Police have released a video and offered a reward up to twenty five thousand dollars for information leading to the person involved in a hit and run crash in Canoga Park that severely injured the driver of another car. The crash happened at one am August first on Tipanga Canyon Boulevard. The video shows a white four door Accura crashing into a gray BMW then driving off. Well, the stars have come out to support Vice President Kamala Harris, Stevie Wonder, John Legend, and Oprah Winfrey were all on stage last night at the DNC. Harris will be accepting the Democratic nomination for president tonight. We're just minutes away from handle. On the news this morning, the slipping, slipping and sliding is even worse than they thought in Rancho Palace. Verdies Bill's going to have the latest on that right now. Let's say good morning to our very own Gary Hoff and Morning Gary.
Speaker 9: What's going on? Amy?
Speaker 1: Well? I have to tell you that I I've been watching you guys on Instagram because you're doing some great posts from the Democratic National Convention, and someone commented on something that they said that they were disappointed because it was apparent that you were all in for the Democrats. And I wanted to kind of address that because I don't think that's the case, but wanted to ask you about it. So what's your goal for being at the DNC.
Speaker 9: Well, it's arguably the biggest event of the week period. It's one of the craziest election cycles we've seen in the last In my lifetime. So the idea of not being here would have been really frustrating. It was really frustrating that we weren't at the Republican National Convention for the same exact reason. I mean, imagine had we been there, if I mean to be honest, if the sales department had gotten their stuff together. But imagine that we had been there two days after there was an assassination attempt on a former president of the United States who happened to be the candidate. That would be massive. We could not ignore what was the potential for craziness here because by the time we had this thing figured out, and you know, we decided that we were going to be going, and.
Speaker 4: We had the.
Speaker 9: Capital, I should say, to get here, we were still talking about the potential for an open convention. I mean, this would have been this would have been massively historic. So the idea that I'm holding the water for one candidate over the other, it's pretty ridiculous. And I think people if people are saying that, they're just saying or they're just assuming that our presence here means that we're pulling for one party or the other. And what it means is we recognize that this is the biggest story of the week. So this is where we're going to be, and people just don't listen closely. They just want to assume that our presence here means something that it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so speaking of your presence there, I know you guys keep talking about being near that Michael Jordan's statue because you're at the United Center, and so is watching because I'm I'm obsessed. So I'm watching all the channels and I had it on Fox last night and Brett Baar was walking around through that area and he goes and here's the Michael Jordan's statue, And I was like, where's Gary and Shannon? Where's Gary Shannon? But I didn't see you guys. So anyway, so let's talk about last night. What's your takeaway from last night?
Speaker 9: Well, I got to be honest, I think that Tim Walls did a good job of introducing himself to the public. I mean, he leaned very heavily into sort of just his biography. He didn't get into a lot of policy. He had a couple of digs at the Trump Vance ticket and that that was expected. But the most important thing that he did was basically say here's who I am, Here's what I believe in. This is my family. My son is a very ugly crier, but my kids are most important to me. I mean when he when he leaned forward and said to his family, you are my entire life and I love you forever. I mean, that was a really genuine I thought that was a really great moment. Maybe it's because I'm a dad, but it was one of those It was a time when he had to come out and introduced himself, not only to the general public, but I mean even the members of the Democratic Party. Nobody knows a lot about him. So he didn't get into a policy checklist, he didn't do any of that, but he just gave he sort of fleshed out that image of him being a folksy guy, him being the football coach, him being a teacher, him being a father, all of those things I think are important. That the thing they're going to have to do, the thing they being Vice President Harrison now Governor Wallas, is they're going to have to pivot. They're gonna have to take all of this good capital that they've received this week from having a joyous party, which is what this is, and turn that somehow into Okay, we've had a lot of fun. Now we've got to get down to business. Here is what policies we think we need to implement going forward, and they have not done that yet because they haven't had.
Speaker 1: To do that yet. Yeah, you know, And it's so funny that you mentioned that, because I was thinking about that. The video about freedom that they played it was before wals Walls came on, and it was this beautiful video and it was like, Hi, I'm Amy and I love freedom, and Hi I'm Gary and Freedom's you know. I mean, it was a really beautiful video, but it didn't say anything, which is kind of what I think has been a big theme of the convention. It's all fluff and joy and not a lot of substance.
Speaker 9: Well, it is a four day television show. That that's the way it's that's the way it's produced, that's the way it's planned. That's why we have surprise guests like Oprah Winfrey. We'll see who comes up tonight. I mean, who I wouldn't be surprised. Oprah, you know, got her start here in Chicago. So think about whoever has you know is associated with Chicago. We could still see some surprise guests later tonight. I don't know who that would be. I'm not I'm not speculating, but I'm just saying that there could be some other people. Michael Jordan, who who who? You know mean something to the city. But you're right, there does not have to be policy here because Donald Trump and Jadie Vance haven't forced them to talk about policy, not yet. I mean, they need to stay on message. They need to make sure that you get policies out there, that their discussions are serious, factual, that they're not just doing character attacks or something like that to try to push that needle. Because, to be honest, none of these TV crews here care about doing a sit down interview with Kamala Harris. They just want to be part of the party. They just want to be part of the fun and the joy, to use their word, and there's no pressure for them to actually do anything that has that sheds any light on policies that they would plan for a Harris Walls administration.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like to find out what's what would happen once Kamala Harris becomes the most powerful woman in the world. You know, I just think it's so interesting that people are not curious.
Speaker 9: About that or more Well, and I think if you go back to the second night when Michelle Obama was speaking, she talked about this, this feeling something magical was happening, that we were very close to having like a new brighter day. Wait a minute, you've had one Republican president in the last sixteen years for four years. Wait, and right now you're in three and a half years in to a democratic administration. Where's that dark day that you're talking about? And why are you trying to delineate between the you know, they keep talking about you know, the Republicans want to talk about the past. Well, you're literally talking about four years ago and your guy has been in office for three and a half years. But you're talking about this being a dark time. It didn't make a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: That's a very interesting point, and Gary and Shannon are going to have many more interesting points. I'm sure you're broadcasting live from nine to one right here on KFI. Can't wait to listen. Thanks Gary, Thanks Amy. All right, this is KFI and KOSTHD two Los Angeles, Orange County, and just like that wake up calls over, we lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer An and technical producer KNO and also traffic specialist Nick. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up Call. If you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.