Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: KFI.
Speaker 3: Mister mo Kelly, We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: And we've been asking for rain.
Speaker 3: We've been hoping for rain, praying for rain, even begging for rain. And the rain at least to according to Mark Ronner and most weathercasts supposed to be here by the end of the week. In the next day or two, how much well, maybe a tenth to a half an inch of rain to most areas of southern California if you count through Sunday. Quote, local amounts up to one inch are possible across south facing slopes of the San Gabriel Mountains. And that's according to the National Weather Service. Might even see thunderstorms. The Weather Service says snowfall amounts will range from two to five inches above five thousand feet, with local amounts of up to ten inches at the resorts. And I know Mark Ronner knows a little bit about Greek mythology. If I said scilla and sharpittis, I say, look, I don't you dare correct me.
Speaker 2: Mister Ronner. Sorry, what were you saying?
Speaker 4: Is that the Odyssey no Iliad. No, which one is it? What are you trying to say? No, rock and a hard place? Basically, oh yeah, between Scilla and Caribis is just it's an old saying. I'm all, no, No, I think it's from the Iliad, if I'm not miss so from a also from a police song, I think, isn't it? Are you quoting Sting no is as part of no?
Speaker 3: I think the mythology pre dates Sting. But the point is it's almost like, well, if you want rain, okay, but with it most likely comes mudslides.
Speaker 2: All right? Do you want to know the story on? Yes? Please?
Speaker 4: Between Scylla and Charybdis is an idiom deriving from Greek mythology, which has been associated that right with the proverbial advice to choose the lesser of two evils.
Speaker 2: Got that right?
Speaker 4: Several other idioms, such as on the horns of a dilemma between the devil and the deep blue sea, and between a rock and a hard place. That's press similar meanings. So no, but but what work is it from? I think it's from the Iliad. They were mythical sea monsters. No, I'm saying from what story? Let's see Homer Homer mentioned them.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's that's the Iliad, thank you very much, got that right.
Speaker 4: That'll be too quick with that they have. There's way too there's a surfea. There's too much information on it, a lot to wade through.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 3: On old Wikipedia, it says Scilla is a six headed monster in Greek mythology who appears in the Odyssey.
Speaker 2: Oki Dok. My point being yes.
Speaker 4: Around the world, thinking I should go outside and wait for you to arrive at the verb or the point or whatever the point is for all the bad news that the fires have given us, and we know that is let's say that's the rock.
Speaker 3: We know we're going to get some rain this weekend. And on the surface you would think, yes, we want rain, but it may present another disaster with the mud.
Speaker 2: Slides as well.
Speaker 4: It is really a be careful what you wish for a situation, right, And which goes back to what I was saying at the very top.
Speaker 3: It's like ken La slash Southern California, catch or break.
Speaker 2: I don't, I don't think. So It's like if you would have asked us what do we need? We need rain?
Speaker 3: We need rain, and yes, we'll get rain, and then we might have to turn around and literally the next day or two because of these burn scars as they're called, deal with the immediate impact of blood slides, and that could take out even more homes depending on where we're talking about in the city, especially in Tula. I know you know something about this, especially in Alta Dina.
Speaker 6: Where the terrain slopes that automatically slopes down, and I can only imagine all that debris just flowing downhill. If we get a significant enough rain. I'm hoping we just get a drizzle. Let us get just a little something to help quiet down or tamper down some of these blazes and get us to that point because we don't need a lot.
Speaker 7: We don't need a dluge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we don't need that, but we probably will because we never get anything in reasonable proportion. Yes, we have a fire season, This is an unreasonable proportion.
Speaker 2: I think most people would agree.
Speaker 3: Yes, we had that rain season last year, but that wasn't a reasonable proportion. It seems like it's all or nothing to there's nothing in between. There's no nuance to our weather, unfortunately. But this is one of those moments where we want rain, but not too much, too fast, too soon or we're dealing with a different set of disasters as early as next week.
Speaker 2: You know, we're talking about if we get.
Speaker 3: As much rains as being forecast, we could have areas of flash flooding as well, flash flooding mud slides. And then we're right back here talking about another disaster for southern California where it won't be the fires, but it will be flash flooding and mud slides.
Speaker 6: And I just think about the Palisades as well, and how that area has been impacted and how bad a really heavy rain will be then that area as well. It's you set it at the top of the show. Can we get a break? We really need one now. We need rain to help our firefighters. We need rain to assist in areas where there is no water to be drawn. We absolutely need that. But God, please hear us here. Our prayers do not drown us in muck and debris and toxic chemicals that just make the land all but damn.
Speaker 3: To your point, Tuala La County public Works, they've already mobilized their twenty four to seven storm patrols. If you're wondering, are we preparing for this as opposed to just sitting back and waiting for it to happen. All flood controlled dams and channels have been prepared, according to La County public Works, Concrete barriers, you know, those k rails, they're being deployed to divert those debris flows that you were talking about, Touala, and crews are filling sandbags for businesses and residents in areas impacted by the fires as we speak. And this is something that you can prepare for to a certain extent, but it's all It all depends on the amount of rain we have. You know, we can not too much, hopefully not that unreasonable amount that we're talking about, and hopefully we won't have to come behind one disaster with another disaster. Yes we want the rain, but no, we don't want the debris flow, we don't want the mud slides, and we don't want other people, more people to lose their houses.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Please, Southern California, can you please catch one break? And Mark Ronner, thank you for correcting me. I know you enjoyed that, are you You're acknowledging this? Wow, Let's make sure don't ruin it. Don't ruin it. Let me enjoy this moment. It happens so seldom. Okay, all done, Okay, six forty We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. And to be serious when we come back. We made mention of these mud slides and also how certain communities are preparing for these possible mud slides.
Speaker 2: We talked about Altadena.
Speaker 3: We'll talk more about Altadena and what that city is doing for the mud slides if they should come.
Speaker 2: That's next.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: KFI alright Heart Radio app. Mo Kelly Here.
Speaker 3: Altadena I think has gotten it worse than anywhere else. The residents of Altadena have gotten it worse in my estimation, than anywhere else for a number of reasons, but also because of circumstances. Altaedina and I would include Pasadena in this next portion. They got through the fires Altaedna. When I say got through, most of it's gone. Start there, most of Altadena as we knew it, Remember it is gone on the other side of that, and correct me if I'm wrong. Told I think they've just recently reopened certain neighborhoods for people to go back up there.
Speaker 6: Soft openings you have to have your id to go up the hill, and they don't suggest you stay up there because with the winds the way they were blowing even earlier today.
Speaker 2: All that.
Speaker 6: Dust, all that ash, all that in the air, it's not good for your health. So if you are going, please heed the advice of every health advocate out there, wear in ninety five goggles, full painter suit if you can.
Speaker 3: But yeah, Wednesday, let's say a lot of this started happening where they were at least residents former residence. Former residence were allowed to go back and survey the damage. And there are those people who have some semblance of a house left and given that, there won't be enough time to either search through the house or prepare the house for this weekend. What I mean by that is, with the rain that we're talking about that is coming that we all theoretically would want, it provides a new danger and a new threat to the remaining houses, an all toa dina. And when I say danger, there's a sixty to eighty percent chance of a small amount of rain for southern California that we talked about. Keep that in mind, small amount, but up to an inch of rain could be disastrous. For all to Dina quote, even a drop of rain will flow seven times greater than it did prior to the fires. And that's Lisa der Derderian Derdairian, who's a Pasadena city spokesperson. We see in these foothills where the fire has burned deep into the roots, there's nothing left holding the soil on the ground. And she's talking about Pasadena, but above that is Altadena, so it has to go through Altadena first before presumably it would hit Pasadena. So if there are any mud slides, Altadena's going to have to deal with them first, am I right?
Speaker 6: Absolutely? And you also have to take into consideration with the way these houses fell, with the way many of them just fell from the roof straight down. All the debris, all the rubble on the ground has blocked a lot of the pathways and ways that water escapes through the streets into the gutters, and the drainage system which is all but clogged in Altadena, which is going to allow all that water to just either pile up in places and come down or just come straight down period.
Speaker 3: A thirty six member CalFire strike team from northern California spent most of yesterday and today making sandbags which will be distributed to various locations throughout both cities and for pickup later this week. Not a lot of time in between. You got maybe today tomorrow, possibly Friday before the rains come. Or you got today tomorrow Friday, if you're going to at least assess the damage at your property, make an insurance claim, take pictures all that, you won't have much time to do anything in the next Basically, we want to talk about two days now.
Speaker 7: And my appointment is on Monday.
Speaker 6: So I'm oh, man, I'm real salty about this rain coming right now. Depending on what it does, I'm like, oh, those are going Monday.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: How are most people, when I say most people, the people that you've been in contact with, because you talked about dozens and dozens of people that you knew personally, ye who lost their homes, How are they processing dealing with this moment to the month's light even mean anything?
Speaker 6: At this point, At this point, most people I'm talking to and interacting with, they're absolutely numb. They are not dealing with this well at all. There are people who who don't even know what to do. I mean, they don't know if they should put up a go fund me, and many of those who have are now worried that their go fundme pages are going to impact whatever money is that they were going to get.
Speaker 7: From their insurance.
Speaker 6: How does that work, because you know, they're trying to see if their plan counts it as a gift or actual monies earned that's supposed to be taking care. There's just so much confusion, and there are fifty eleven different organizations in Altadena giving out tons and tons of great information, but it's tons and tons of great information, and it's hard to sort through all of that, and each person has a different on the surface need. Even though we're all dealing with this loss, everyone has a different question and there is no one spot in one place to gather information from it. Hey talk to FEMA, Hey talk to Judy chu, Hey talk to this, talk to everybody. And everyone's just like, I don't know what to make of this. So people are are frantic, they're crying people. I know people who have gone up today and even some tried to go up yesterday and some of the areas and they could do nothing but just cry. They couldn't even get done what they wanted to get done because they couldn't help. The devastation is that severe that they're just up there crying. They're like, I couldn't even stay. I had to go to see every single thing gone.
Speaker 3: The through line through all of this is information being able to get and access the information. I think if you lost your house, well hopefully you have your phone. It doesn't mean that you did have your phone or you have internet access and can find out the real information.
Speaker 2: We were talking about scams the house. Someone was trying to scam you as well.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know, to separate the real information from the scam information, where to go, how to do it in a timely fashion.
Speaker 2: And we're going to talk about later tonight.
Speaker 3: We're going to talk about how some Alzadena residents say they didn't even receive the order to evacuate during the Eating fire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense. Yeah, if you weren't.
Speaker 3: Listening to KFI, which is a distinct possibility, if you weren't watching TV intently to look for an evacuation order. Because we were in we work in the news, Tuala we were aware of the situation, and I said Tuala go and that was it wasn't even a mandatory evacuation by the time you got to your house, it was mandatory evacuation. That's how quickly the situation changed. Yes, yes, I got to the house.
Speaker 6: And also I'm going to a text message from you saying the evacuation is mandatory.
Speaker 3: Now I'm like, I know, but that came from me, not official information. So that's just me, my friend telling you you know. Yes, yes, So we have to talk about that. There's an information deficit in all this why and I think it has contributed to why some areas were hit worse. The loss of life was worse. I think that's connected to it as well. And we'll deal with that. And when we come back on the other side of this break, we're going to get into We're going to actually go back to the Hues fire, give you the latest on that, let you know about the evacuation shelters for residents, because again it's about the flow of information. And as that Hues fire, which is that ninety four hundred and fifty seven acres already burned about five percent contained, it's really important now, especially if you're in and around that impacted area, that you have the most recent, relevant and accurate information to make sure that you and your family are safe, so we will be doing that next and also you know, once again pets are also being impacted by these fires, and we're going to find out where you can take pets, both large and small when we come back.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six FORTYFI.
Speaker 2: AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Mister mo Kelly here, We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. As we continue to talk about these fires, more specifically the Hughes fire.
Speaker 2: And to update you, it's not much of an update.
Speaker 3: It's still at ninety four hundred acres which have been burned, about five percent containment. But if you have been evacuated, here's some information you need to have. The temporary evacuation center which was at Valencia High School that has been relocated to Heart High School, So if you were going to go to Valencia High School, do not. It has since been relocated to Heart High School, which is two four eight two five New Hall Avenue in Santa Clarita. Animal shelters for large animals, you can go to the Lancaster Animal Care Center which is five two one zero West Avenue I in Lancaster, you can go to Pierce College, which is six ' two zero one with Netca Avenue and Woodland Hills. For small animals, you can go to the Palmdale Animal Care Center three eight five five zero Sierra Highway in Palmdale. And if you didn't hear I was saying at the beginning of the show, I kind of know that area well. My wife and I La Muhir, we were actually looking at property out in Palmdale. And if you drive out to Palmdale, you're passing through Santa Clarita Valencia all through this and if you have any real familiarity with that terrain, it's just going to burn and burn and burn. Actually, I'm surprised that it has not impacted structures, but I can understand why you can lose ten thousand acres like that but also not hit any structures because it's just it is just rife with areas which are dry and going to burn uncontrollably.
Speaker 2: But back to the small animals.
Speaker 3: If you were going to go to the Agora Animal Care Center, which was given out earlier by different news sources, do not because that location was deemed full as of three point thirty pm earlier today, So do not try to take your small animals or any small animals to the Agura Animal Care Center. It is full and you will likely be turned away. You can go to the Lancaster Animal Care Center, which is five to one zero West Avenue I in Lancaster. And yes, they're taking both small and large animals that I think would be your better bet. Hopefully and correct me if I'm wrong to allow. Because we've had these dangerous and deadly fires in the previous week and a half, people were more aware, possibly more prepared for these fires impacting them. They weren't impacted maybe a week and a half ago, but now they kind of No. When I say the drill, that's you know, maybe the wrong phraseology. That's not a drill, But I'm saying they know what to do now. More likely people had a go bag prepared. They know what that is, they know what to put in it. If not, we'll review it again. But because of what happened week and a half or so ago, you're more prepared for dealing with this, even though it may not have affected you then, but it's affecting you now.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely.
Speaker 6: And I know several people that I work with at the school live in the Santa Clarita, Palm Dell, Lancaster area, and they got those calls and they took off immediately. And many who I've been in communication with and I've seen already, they're saying, hey, we're good, we made it back. Bag was already packed or ready to go. They're all there, we go, ready, lady to go. They were not caught unawares. They knew from the impact of the eating fire. They knew how close in proximity just over mountain ranges that they are. When the fires took off in West Hills and started moving all around everyone in southern California, in any dry mountainous region right now, we are all anxious when the wind starts blowing. When the wind starts blowing, we all get a little tight. We all get a little tight and see what's happening. We know for a fact that there have been several arsonists who have been caught, so a lot of these now we know could potentially be man made. And so that's why we are such we're so on guard right now.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, And you don't need to necessarily wait for a fire to make its way to your doorstep because of that arsonist component. Our go bags are still sitting right next to the door for a week and a half. Why because we know the situation and the winds could change at any given moment. And whereas you may have thought that you were not in an evacuation area or an impacted area all of a sudden, put it this way. I know the people who lived in Santa Clarita or Valencia or a Castake when they woke up this morning, they had no expectation of being in a burn zone area, and then by ten thirty they were Yes. So you can't just assume, well, it's not going to be us, it's not going to be my neighborhood, it's not going to be my city. And along those lines mandatory evacuation orders you might have heard some from Mark Ronner, But to elaborate, there's Costic, Cambridge, There's Castic Lake, Lake, Green Hill, Hasley Hillcrest, Paradise, ranch Ridge, Romero and Sloan. Those are mandatory evacuation areas and neighborhoods. Go And if you were near those neighborhoods, I would just say just go, don't wait. We talked about when Twala was evacuating. It was a warning and before he even get to his house. It was mandatory.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And just this is something that you all talked about. I remember even listening about how off the emergency alerts were. I promise, if you get an alert right now, don't wait to wait for an mandatory evacuation alert you've been advised, go on and leave the area anyway, Get out of the area before the traffic gets too crazy. Because when I got to Outadena, all the lights were off, all the power was out, and it was crazy getting back down the hill and even traversing the freeway because there.
Speaker 7: Was so much going on. No, don't wait, Oh, don't wait.
Speaker 2: That's a great point. I think we need to highlight it.
Speaker 3: When Shannon Ferrin was evacuating, she was doing it from a power outage area. When you were evacuating, it was from a power outage area. That presents other obstacles and dangers when you're trying to get to wherever you're going, as far as let's say you're trying to get back to your house and get the necessary documents, which you may not already have set aside. Sometimes you have to prepare for the evacuation. And that's what we would advise. Sometimes you can't prepare, but if you've been watching what has been happening in southern California for the past two weeks, you should be prepared at this point. Hopefully you did not squander that opportunity to get yourself ready. So if you do need to go back to your house, if you're somewhere else, all you need to do is pick your stuff up, which may be sitting right next to your front door, as it is in my house, and you can just go and you will not be one panicked, You'll not be in a rush, and you'd be less likely to forget something very important. And if you have to, if you should have to deal with an area which is dealing with a loss of power, you can navigate that a little bit more slowly and safely.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we should all be on notice at this point, no matter where you live in southern California, given the weather right now, given the possibility and arguably propensity for a would be arsonist, Let's be honest, you cannot presume that your house, your neighborhood is safe. So it's incumbent upon you to make sure you're doing everything within your power to keep yourself safe before it comes to a point where you lose all these options.
Speaker 2: K if I AM six forty, I'm O'Kelly.
Speaker 3: Were going to continue our fire coverage and when we come back, we're going to tell you about some of the schools and school districts which have announced closures already tode to these fires and more that's coming up next.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from K six.
Speaker 5: Forty KFI AM six MISTRM O'Kelly here.
Speaker 3: We're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app as we continue our fire coverage. The Hughes fire has been the dominant story of the day. It started around ten thirty this morning in the Castake area and it has consumed more than ninety four hundred acres and it's about five percent contained. And with that, we've been giving some evacuation information where you can take pets, large animals, small animals. We have some more information for you and possibly your children, as all schools in the Castake Union School District are going to be closed tomorrow, as well as several schools in the william S. Hart Union High School District, the Saugust Union School District, and both college of the Canyons campuses. Again, all schools in the Castake Union School District are going to be closed tomorrow, and I would be willing to bet Friday as well. That's me just talking about it. But if you're going to be closed Thursday, it's reasonable to assume that Friday would be closed as well for just logistical reasons, but also several schools in the william S Heart Union High School District. I would contact your high school if that is your district for clarity. The Saugust Union School District and both College of the Canyons campuses. The Heart District center notification of parents and others in the district community today announcing that the school would be canceled at the four impacted campuses on Thursday.
Speaker 2: The note read as follows quote. We know that many of you.
Speaker 3: Are impacted by the fire and cast Stake and we hope you are able to safely return to your home soon. Thank you to the first responders who are fighting to keep our homes and community safe. Some of our schools are currently under evacuation orders or evacuation warnings. And going back to the press conference which was about five pm today, you had a number of different agencies which were represented from the LA Fire Department, the county, that is, you had the La Shaff's Department. I'm going to place some of that audio from Robert Luna in just a moment, you had cal Fire, the US Forest Service, and these overlapping agencies were all involved in the Hughes fire. Specifically that said, let's listen to Sheriff Robert Luna what he had to say earlier today.
Speaker 8: So for us, obviously in unified command with our partners at the Fire Department from the very beginning of this incident, fire incident, and right now, the numbers that I have is that we have approximately thirty one thousand people who are affected by our evacuation orders, another twenty three thousand that are impacted by evacuation warnings. Along with the work that our deputies have been doing, and you've seen them going from neighborhood to neighborhood making sure that we are protecting the neighborhoods to make sure nobody gets hurt, traffic ingress and egress. And also unfortunately, when we talk about fires, our staff knows that immediately they start what we call looter suppression, just to make sure that no one's coming into the area to take advantage when people are evacuating their homes. So I want to make sure people know that that if you leave your homes, there will be additional deputies working out there in the neighborhoods to make sure your homes are safe. In regards to staffing, we are staffing up. You hear sirens in the distance, they're not only fire apparatus, but you see deputies coming in from different parts of the county.
Speaker 9: You see our incident management team over my.
Speaker 8: Left shoulder setting up with the big trailers that will assume responsibility for this incident from the Sheriff's department perspective, and again in unified command. With all of our partners, we have what I estimate well over four hundred personnel total regarding this incident and managing other incidences around the County of Los Angeles. I do want to bring your attention to the fact that during this incident, one of the areas that initially was in evacuation warning that did turn into an evacuation order was our Pitches Detention Center, which is not too far from here. The Pitches Detention Center has actually three different facilities.
Speaker 9: One of the facilities was evacuated.
Speaker 8: In discussing this with our partners from the department, who are experts in this area, they recommended and we agreed that the one facility PD South would be evacuated that had approximately four hundred and seventy six inmates. We move those inmates to another facility on the campus. The other two campuses are structured much better than the one that we evacuated from, but total, on the entire campus we have approximately four thousand, five hundred inmates a little over that. We do have a plan in place in case the fire conditions. Our fire partners would advise if it gets worse, whether it's wind, whatever, that may be a plan in place to evacuate the rest of the inmates on the entire facility if we absolutely had to. Other than that, it's a newer incident and it's evolving, it's going to change. We're ready for just about anything, which by the way, includes being prepared for any other incident that would break God forbid anywhere in the County of Los Angeles. I do want to report that the five Freeway has been closed, but I'm told that after this press conference for a variety of reasons, we will reopen the freeway so that people can go back and forth.
Speaker 9: Again.
Speaker 3: I just want to clarify that, of course, the five Freeway is open. This was from the press conference at five pm earlier today, but the five Freeway is open in both directions.
Speaker 9: This press conference.
Speaker 8: For a variety of reasons, we will reopen the freeway so that people can go back and forth.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 8: I do want to reiterate that if you do not live in this area and you're following the smoke, you want to go see what the firefighters are doing, turn on the television set. Do not drive into these areas. You are impacting the ingress and egress of emergency vehicles. We don't need more traffic, We want less traffic. We don't want you walking around in the impacted areas to impact the community members who live here.
Speaker 3: I'm o Kelly, kf IM six. We are live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: Fires Burn, California, and KFI has the latest.
Speaker 7: Kf I KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County live everywhere on the Eart radio