Speaker 1: KFI AM six forty. You're listening to Dean Sharp The House Whisper on demand on the iHeartRadio app KFI AM six forty live streaming in HD everywhere on the iHeartRadio App. Hey, welcome home. I'm Dean Sharp, the House Whisper. I design custom homes and I am your guide every weekend to better understand that place where you live today on the show as we have it has really become our custom here on our quiet Saturday mornings, it's an all calls morning. I am putting out the call to you right now. If you've got an issue, a question, a curiosity, a DIY problem that you've got to solve, an architectural question, a design question, a construction question about your home, I am here to help you take it to the next level. We'll put our heads together and we'll figure it out. The number to reach me eight three three two. Ask Dean eight three three. The numeral two ask Dean eight three three to ask Dean. Our phone lines are open. Producer Matt is standing by right now ready to take your call. I know it is Saturday morning. It is a quiet time here in southern California. If you're listening for anywhere across the country. Your morning is a little bit more developed. So any call from anywhere, from anybody, We're just in the mood to talk about your home this morning. Eight three three two ask Dean and we will go to the phones as soon as the calls start rolling in.
Speaker 2: Let me introduce our awesome team. Sam is on.
Speaker 3: The board good morning, saying good morning, Dean. How are you doing today. I'm doing well. I'm doing well, got a good night's sleep. I had a lovely dinner last night with some dear friends, clients who have become dear friends, as so many any of our most of our clients do actually working on the third project in a row now for this one particular client, little beach house out in Portwaanimi out in the Channel Harbor area, Channel Islands, Harbury and great little beach house built in the seventies and it's been in their family for all these years and not many changes have taken place since the seventies, so it is just ripe.
Speaker 1: It's ripe for updating and some changes. So it's a classic. I mean you drive up and you know, lava rock on the front of the house, and.
Speaker 2: Does it still have the shag carpet.
Speaker 1: No, no, they did get rid of the shag carpet. But you know, apart from that, you got the vibe right, it's just totally right there. And so there are so many tweaks and changes to make, and I just I love sitting down with clients and really talking through what they want to eight out of the place. And you know, as always, some revelations along the way as we kind of you know, have a conversation about well, how's this going to fit you best, and some things that really surprised them along the way. So it really really good night last night. And then just went out and had some dinner and talked about some really just very personal things and some special things about their family and our life. And anyway, it was great, great evening. The Dodgers won yesterday long game, rain delay in Atlanta long game, and we got right to the eighth inning and we were just like, all right, let's end this thing. And then the rain started rolling in and we had to wait an hour and a half before we finished off just you know, six strikes and that was it. So anyway, it was a good day. It's going to be a good morning today. Got some work ahead of us today as well, and yeah, we're pretty jazzed. So how is everything right there in the control booth?
Speaker 4: My friend fantastic. I have my son here today, so we got a live audience. Of course, of course he's the best, he's awesome. Producer Matt is standing by taking calls this morning. Looks like he's taking a call now. I just want to let you guys know. You know, Saturday morning, it's a great time to call in. Traffic is like eight three three, to ask Dean. Some people question, they're like, would you do why would you do? Call ins at six o'clock in the morning on Saturday?
Speaker 1: You know what, I understand the logic, but the fact of the matter is there's a lot of us who are up and about and it's just a special time. And I love calls on Saturday mornings. They just got a great tone to them. Eileen Gonzalez at the news desk, Good morning, Eileen, Good morning, Dean. How's it going good? How are you doing good?
Speaker 2: Thanks? Everything good? What's our tea of choice this morning? You know, I haven't had time to get anything to drink, and I'm parched, all right, you got to get out there and get that going. Yeah, I'll get some I'll get some green going. All right, sounds good now.
Speaker 1: Normally I would say, sitting across the table from me, my better half, my design partner, my best friend in all the world, Tina is here. But I have given her. I have given her like I'm in charge. Tina's taking the morning off. We'll probably see her in a little bit later, but she is taking a well deserved sleep in today. So Tina will be here shortly. And as for the rest of you, We've got some calls coming in and I just want to dive right in, so we will go to the phones. Kfi, Dean Sharp, the house whisper, Welcome home, Happy Saturday morning to you, my friend. Whether your home is a condo or a cottage or a castle matters not to me. I am here to help you take it to the next level. Like I said, last night, we were having dinner with some dear friends who are also design clients, and we were having a really really interesting discussion just about the whole idea of design. They were kind of interviewing me. They were saying, I want to get inside your head about your design career, and I was talking about some of the more interesting facets of how I ended up doing what I'm doing, and you were one of the things I had to tell them was, hey, you know, one of the things I realized along the way, Yeah, I broke into the design world through big luxury estates and those are lovely. I mean they're lovely in the sense that, you know, when you're doing these massive costs and ultra custom luxury projects as an artist, you know, a great client becomes a great patron and just says, you know, here, unleash, unleash your creativity in this area. But the reality is that every space, every space has its constraints, has its challenges, and I don't really care whether we're designing, you know, a small shed for somebody or literally a castle along the way, because it's all design. It all, you know, pulls out the best in me. And uh, you know, I'm just a you know, I come from a lower middle class, blue collar working family.
Speaker 2: That's the that's the area.
Speaker 1: You know, just living in the suburbs and living in you know, living among middle class, mainstream homeowners is for my own personal life is what I'm most comfortable with. It's where we always live it's where we always will live, I hope, uh uh and uh. I personally, I am never gonna, you know, end up in the house behind the big gates up on the hill, although I've got no problem designing one for you. And so I just love designing homes. I love the challenges and uh and I love all the facets of it. And so yeah, it was a really great conversation. And at the end of the day, the fact of the matter is, when I tell you, it doesn't matter to me whether you're living in a condo or a little cottage or a castle. The challenges are there, and good architecture belongs and should belong to everybody, all right. So that's how I feel about that. All right, let's go to the phones. Now I've talked enough that maybe I won't get this whole call in, but let's talk to Carter.
Speaker 2: Hey, Carter, welcome home. Oh thank you. How can I help you, my friend?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 6: Okay, Well, I've got a thirty year old home and which on the exterior. For some of their features on the exterior, they glued foam to the stucco and then they put like a single coat of colored color code of stucco over that. So now thirty years later, some of this U the phone is disintegrade, I guess because of the UV light, And I wonder what are your thoughts on that? Do I just have to scrape the whole thing off of there? And I'm not quite sure what the best way would be to handle that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how extensive is it? Is it just a couple of areas? Is it happening a lot? And the foam? Was it damaged? Did it experience some impact or is it just literally kind of breaking down.
Speaker 6: It looks like it's just breaking down. It's in one specific area really, where it's about four inches wide and about fifteen inches long, all along the bottom of this one feature. I don't know if they call that salting out or what it is. But do you have any ideas on that? Should I scrape it all off and replace the foam? I don't know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, yeah, this is a it's an interesting problem. Probably, you know, I'll just cut to the chase for you. The probably the best thing you can do is get a stucco company out that works with foam plantons. And that's what you want to tell them on the phone. You says, I've got phone hoam planton surrounds around my windows. You know, I've got a house with the house built in the eighties.
Speaker 2: Or nineties, early nineties, yeah, yeah, early nineties.
Speaker 1: Tell them I've got foam plantons and and I've got an area where it's degrading, and you know, can you guys come out and give me a price for that? And they will, they will, and they can patch that in, uh and and restucc of it and get you back in shape.
Speaker 2: But the the issue with.
Speaker 1: Foam plantons, it's still being used today still. I mean, it's a technology that's advancing. But in the eighties just starting I remember, I literally remember foam companies coming around to job sites selling their wares, so kind of like door to door salesmen with their cases of stuff and saying, take a look at what we can do. And the idea is that it was going to make trims around windows and doors and around roof eves fancier. It was going to be fancier for less cost. It was going to have the contours of what we would normally do in stone stone work, except you just have these hot knife cut foam pieces that have a certain shape and they could be glued on, attached well to the house, and then just stuccoed right over and they have their own coating of stucco and fibrous. Now what we found as years went on, Like, for instance, today if you find you can actually find these pieces sitting in the big box store, they sell them on the shelf at times. But now they come out of the factory with a fibrous coating on them, pre stucco fibrous coating, so they're a little bit more resilient to begin with, and then a finished coat of stucco gets rolled over them, so they're lasting longer today than they did in the eighties. But the fact of the matter is that it actually, it actually is an easy thing to repair, simply because even if it's not like, oh, well, does your company have access to this shape, it's not even really that. A lot of foam stucco installation companies will have blades what we call hot knives, that they can bend into shape in the shape of your foam and then cut a new piece of foam out of a foam block that's just sitting there, Cut a new piece, burn, melt it through to match your foam, and then adhere it on and then restuckle it over. So the good news is, yes, it can be fixed. You need to call a company that kind of it is familiar with and uses foam plantons. That's the that's the category of what you're talking about, and they'll fix it up for you.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Am I thrilled about them myself? You know, I get it. I get the idea. I just wasn't convinced. I never have been fully convinced that they're the they're the best way to go for that kind of thing. Because if we're trying to emulate stone again, of course me right, I'm a purist when it comes to this. If we're trying to emulate a stone finish, then I'd rather you actually have a smooth finish on the plantons around and not a rough stucco finish. It could still be stucco, but I want them to be smooth with little lines in them, so that we're actually emulating stone and it's not just more stucco except in a fancy shape.
Speaker 2: But that's does that make sense? But that's just me.
Speaker 1: That's just me being picky about architecture. But from a builder side, it's the builder in me that's answering your question. Yeah, you can have that done, Carter. Carter, thank you so much for the call and for the question. Good luck with that. You want to talk to a stucco company that specializes in installing stone foam plantons, and they're out there because they're still being readily used in a larger house production and developments. All right, y'all, when we come back, more of your calls and some tidbits from me too. Your Home with Dean Sharp the House Whisper.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: CAMFI.
Speaker 7: AM six forty live streaming and HD everywhere on the iHeartRadio app Dean Sharp the House, I'll whisper with you this morning on this cool, quiet Saturday morning here in southern California taking calls.
Speaker 1: Let me give the number out because we've got plenty of room on the board for you. Eight three to three two ask Dean eight three to three the numeral two ask Dean eight three three to ask Dean. That's the number to reach me at As always, Saturday morning is just a light traffic on the phone, So really, if you've been scratching at something that you've wanted to talk about regarding your home. It's a great time to call in. Let's go back to the phones. I want to talk to Adam. Hey Adam, welcome home.
Speaker 5: Hey Dean, good morning, great to hear, great to talk to you. Listening for a long time. Usually right after Coast to coast, I figured i'll give you a call this morning.
Speaker 2: Oh great, I'm thrilled that you have. How can I help?
Speaker 5: So I have a little idea to upgrade my house. My house is just given an idea just to give you're a reugh just catch up. Nineteen year old house to lenar home. So it's it's one of those homes they kind of they all kind of every third fourth house looks the same. Right, one story U two windows facing the street. Rest of the windows are you know, sides of the house, back of the house. This is where I need some input. I don't know if going from white window frame you know your typical plastics two aluminum uh finish type windows, sliding door, you know, sliding door that leads into the backyard. I have a wife that works for a company who can actually make them for me, or I can just find it from someone else. But my question is, what do you think about a house that you know different from the neighborhood. I think I would be the only one in the neighborhood with black windows. But going from plastic, the typical plastic white what everybody has, to aluminum black finish windows, which my wife's company sells to They usually sell those two higher end homes, you know Melion, Doar Holmes, Humilia Dollar homes out of that, you know, Court and all that. So that's her clientele, and so I'm able to get them from her at a great at a great deal. But I don't know if it'll fit. What do you think? That's kind of why I'm kind of a little bit hesitant to pull the trigger. What do you think that would that add value to the home? Would it be a good choice long term going from plastic to dark metal finish?
Speaker 6: What do you think?
Speaker 2: All right? Great question? Great question.
Speaker 1: Uh So, if you're asking the custom home designer what what I think about making your home unique, you're going to get my vote, You're going to get my two thumbs up. From the very beginning, the whole subject of white windows on a house is kind of you know, there's nothing wrong with it, and so I want to be really careful not to step on anybody's toe. I mean, I've got white windows on my house as well. But but the fact of the matter is it's really the industry the tail wagging the dog, as it were. And again, I was talking about the dinner we were having with our clients last night. That's one of the things that we were talking about, how how the industry dictates a certain thing for from its own purposes, not because oh, this is the right color of window to put into a home. But there are completely they're usually completely different reasons why a home component in a tract home environment ends up becoming a certain thing, and then you just kind of design your way around it. You make the best of it. So the question of whether a dark framed window works in a home U is really I mean, it's it's an absolutely, it's it's a viable question, and the only answer is whether you take a look at it in the style of your home and whether there are other components that will complement it. And a lot of people are under the belief that, oh, well, if you go dark frame metal window, first of all, it's you know, it's that's that's like a contemporary look.
Speaker 2: That's a that's a total. That's not true at all. It's not true at all.
Speaker 1: It is in fact, you know, we put dark frame windows in traditional homes, colonial homes, we put them in farmhouse looks, ranch house looks. I have put dark frame windows in Spanish med look. I mean just about every imaginable style of home can be designed to have dark frame windows look absolutely stunning and gorgeous, and talk about offsetting the vibe of the house. The material of the window for me, is secondary, entirely secondary. I mean, if you we we're living in an age in which uh, well, you know what. Here's the thing, Adam, I'm looking at the clock and I'm getting tapped on the shoulder here that I should go to a break. Can you hang tight with me because I want to give this a really full answer so everybody understands us. So I can I pop you on hold and we'll come back right after the break and I'm gonna give my full blown answer to this one. No problem, all right, Adam, you hang tight. We're going to talk about white windows. Where do they even come from?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: Why are most windows white? I will explain that to you, and I will explain to Adam why I think it's probably a great idea if he wants to go dark frame. But as long as it works with the style, all of that and more KFI. Dean sharp the house whisper, welcome home, Thanks for joining us. It's an all call Saturday morning. There's room on the board for you. The number to reach me eight three three two ask Dean eight three three the numeral to ask Dean. I want to get back to Adam. Make sure I didn't hang up on him. Adam, you're still with me?
Speaker 5: Man? Ye here?
Speaker 2: All right. Adam is taking a bold move.
Speaker 1: He wants to up great the windows on his home and get rid of the potentially get rid of the white vinyl windows that it came with. And he's got an inside connection via his wife, who you should give me her number, so I can have that inside connection as well, you know, with a high end aluminum window company, and you know the kind that we would normally use for you know, larger estate projects and things like that, beach houses and all the like. And so the question is should I replace the white windows on my home with a darker frame, black frame, bronze frame. You know, whatever the window and is it the right vibe? And so I was saying right before the break that for me, the material of the window itself is secondary. It's not irrelevant, obviously, but it's secondary from a design perspective, because I'm just I'm just looking for the look and uh. And the fact of the matter is, architecturally, a dark frame window looks great and and can look great on just about any imaginable style. I've put them in any I mean, old world, new world. They're not just a contemporary window, regardless of what the interweb tells you. Uh, they can be. They can accommodate just about any look at all. And so two thumbs up. You just evaluate the home and give it a give it a you know, give it a vibe. Take a take a photo of your home printed out and uh and literally you know, color in with a sharpie, uh, the white frame windows, and stare at. I mean, I'm all for this. I do these perspectives for clients all the time. They're like, what would my house look like if I had this on the outside. I'm like, well, let's take a photograph of it. I'll photo shop in that color or that and we can all take a look at it and you can decide for yourself. But I'm telling you right now, it's a good look and it's almost always a good move. Now, the reason why most windows are white is because most windows in most tracked homes that have been built in the last thirty years are vinyl. Vinyl is not a strong material. Okay, now, it doesn't mean your windows are falling apart, but that's why the frames on a vinyl window are so thick, because vinyl is a relatively soft material. So vinyl windows by definition have wider sashes, wider frames, wider divider lights, and mullions because it takes more. Vinyl takes more material to make a strong frame. An aluminum is a much stronger material, and you can get away with a thinner frame, which means you'll have more glass, you'll have more light coming into the house, and so on. Now, the other reason why wind vinyl windows are white is because number one, it's the literally the least expense. You know, the the vinyl is naturally white. It's the least expensive uh manufacturing process white some vinyl windows, some companies make them tan or beige. You can get and a few a handful produce black or darker bronze windows, but let me tell you they are considerably more expensive than your standard vinyl window. And it's not because of the color. Well, it's because of the color. It's it's it's not the color that's expensive. The reason why you don't see black vinyl windows is because vinyl is not a strong material. It's a soft material, and a black window attracts heat to itself, and so black vinyl windows soften in bright sunlight more so than a white vinyl window, which reflects that light. That black window absorbs light, it absorbs heat, and then the material starts off and the window breaks down. So a black vinyl window has to have reinforcement on the inside that a white vinyl window does not have. Therefore it's a more expensive window. So this is why the majority of homes have white windows, not because the god of architecture said white windows are the best look, but simply because the building industry is like, hey, you know what, we can produce these for cheap, So guess what everybody gets white? And that's pretty much what I call the tail wagging the dog in tracked home development. That's just the way it is okay, and everybody gets used to it and we all make do with it and it's all understandable. So for those of you who are thinking about it, here's the one thing I will tell you, Adam. And it sounds like your wife has a line on a company that produces a higher end aluminum window. I don't want you to go an inexpensive aluminum window. You know, when we go window, we use Western windows or fleetwoods or things equivalent to that. And so when you when you do an aluminum window, uh, you want a window that is thermally broken. Okay, thermally broken?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: And what does that mean? It means this.
Speaker 1: It means aluminum is a really good conductor of energy, right. I mean you know you can run electricity through it and get shocked, right, So it conducts energy really well. Therefore, a dark window on the outside of a house that's metal can easily transmit heat from the outside to the inside. Right, So you touch the frame on the inside of the house and you're like, ooh, it's warm on a hot day. That is an unbroken a thermally unbroken window, meaning that there's one frame that continuously goes from the outside to the inside. But a high quality aluminum window is what we call thermally broken, which means the outer frame does not bridge across. There's a break, there's a gap, there's no bridge across to the inner frame. And therefore, as the outer frame heats up in the sunlight of a warm summer day, it does not transmit that heat and vice versa cold the same way it doesn't transmit that energy to the inside of the house. So a thermally broken aluminum window is a really high quality window. It will last a lifetime. If you decide on your color ahead of time, you can usually get the factory to powder coat the window like an automobile before you even order them. Even though an aluminum window can be painted on site, you know, we normally customize that color and make sure it comes the color that we want and talk about a low maintenance window for the life of the home. So if it works for you, play around with the style bud, and then you know, if you're leaning that way, go for it. You're in a unique position to be able to buy high quality windows at a low cost.
Speaker 2: I would do it in a heartbeat.
Speaker 5: You've motivated me to. I think you've made my decision, and I think, I like, I didn't know about the thermally thermally broken, and I'm going to ask that. I'm going to tell you that's all right. There you go. Thanks for that advice.
Speaker 2: You're welcome, Adam. Thanks for the call, Bud. I love it.
Speaker 1: I love it, always bringing up subjects that everybody else can glean from. All Right, we're at the.
Speaker 2: Top of the hour.
Speaker 1: More of your calls when we return. You are Home with Dean Sharp, the House Whisper on KFI.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI A M six forty