Speaker 1: Welcome to the Transformation Station podcast. I'm Christina, owner, operator, and founder of the Transformation Station, and this is where we talk about getting stronger while navigating real life. If you're trying to stay consistent through the ups and the downs and everywhere else in between. This is for you. Hey friends, welcome, Welcome back to the podcast. Today. We have another exciting because we have an exciting guests. We have your member here, Danielle.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: Have you ever done a podcast?
Speaker 3: I did one with my friend once, but not besides that, So we'll see how this goes.
Speaker 1: All right, So we're going to start off with a little bit about you. You are my breath Transformation Station. Maybe why you walk through the door.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it was just time to walk through a door of a gym and like actually keep going. I think I grew up playing soccer and I was always like fairly fit for like doing minimal activities.
Speaker 2: I remember always joking, you know, I can.
Speaker 3: Just eat whatever and and stay you know, tiny, And then all of a sudden that just didn't happen anymore. And so I did some personal training before COVID for like a year, and I kind of got the forms down pretty well. And then through COVID tipped that scale over two hundred and kind of got like thirty off and then it came all right, right all back. And uh, my ex actually was a trainer recently and got me back into the gym. I was in an empty gym because she worked there, which was really nice in building my confidence. And then coming here it was just everyone was so welcoming. And I think also being in a queer owned space was very helpful to me being newly out, and I think that also was like very welcoming and everyone is so nice here and I just had a really fun time and kept coming back. And I know you watched me. I was out on a trip and you were sending me all like all of these like being like, oh wow, look at the mountains things like that, and I was like, I don't actually go to your gym yet, but I'm so excited to start going when I get back. And so I think we kind of had that banter before I even started here, and I loved it so far.
Speaker 1: It's interesting too, sometimes like I have never seen like Alberta. Calgary hasn't like any of those places. So every time I see like the mountains and I see like travel, different travel things. I'm like, see so great, And sometimes like I forget what account that I'm on, whether it's like the gym account or like my personal account, because it's just like a double click and then you're in the other account, and then when you comment or see things, it doesn't show you what account you're actually like, so like I at this point, I don't even almost care because most people know that I owned the gym if they look at the profile and says like my username. But my intention of when I bantered with people is it's never the intention of I want to talk with you because I want you to come to the gym. And it's really cool that you actually answered that back, because I was like, wait, I want to I'm probably when I come back, I was like, okay, I was like, did you know I know you said like it's you were excited to know, like it was a queer on space. Did you know that when you joined?
Speaker 3: No? I didn't.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: I think you made a comment because I I think because I asked where could I fill up my water bottle somewhere and you made the comment of because I think you had filled Chris's water bottle up part way through class and you were like, oh, you can just hand me your water bottle. That's my spouse. And I was like nice. I was like, that makes me feel so much better too.
Speaker 2: So I loved that and that's fair.
Speaker 1: And I think that was because I drank. Yeah maybe yeah, I do that sometimes and I realized, like there's someone new in the class and I was like, oh, they just think that. I just like, yeah, I'll go, Philip, but there's a tax on it. Here you go. Sometimes I verbally will say that just because people are like, hey, like you like here, you feel this er do whatever. It's like oh yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. So a little bit about further into that. So what is your goal now, because like you just finished, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm still very sweaty and you're here, right, So how has your outlook on?
Speaker 1: Because you said like you're actually joining and you're gonna stick. So what's the difference.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think, like I said before, like I think it was just time and just being here. I'm already noticing so much difference.
Speaker 1: Moving the micro the first time, that's the first time that someone recording loud. Oh yeah, so if you're listening to turn your volume down back and watching did I was like, your your volume, things are going higher than one. I try to make it so it's balanced. But like anyone that's listened to the podcast prior, Hello listeners, you've noticed that we've had some technical difficulties with our mics and our sounds. So this is something that I'm really working on. Anyway, So how has thing? How have things changed now that you're you're here?
Speaker 3: Is your I was actually just talking to you, I think last night about maybe well, when I first joined the gym, I was like, I want to do High Rocks. We tried that we did not get or you got tickets. I guess I really wanted to try and get a team together to do a High Rocks.
Speaker 2: But we didn't get tickets.
Speaker 3: So I was kind of like, Okay, what is like something else that I can like? I really like goals and like working my way towards something. And so I think the Decca, which is kind of like a little maybe an easier version of Higher Rocks in October. That's kind of like my stretched out goal. Also, I'm not going to get a breast production, so that's another thing that I'm like working towards and so yeah, So I think both of those things like have kind of got me to stay here some sort of like fitness goal as well as the surgery and making sure I can lose enough wait, not necessarily because I have to, but because I want to and to come out of that surgery and feel like really good.
Speaker 2: In my body.
Speaker 3: And so far just being here, I've noticed like such a difference. I mean, just like energy wise, I've lost like a good amount so far that I'm happy with and to continue on with. But I think too noticing that the number on the scale doesn't necessarily matter, but my pants do not fit so so like the yeah, they're they're too big. And I was actually I was looking at a picture the other day of me at a concert where I was wearing like like baggy jeans, and I was like, Okay, they're not necessarily like cute baggy anymore.
Speaker 2: I thought they were still cute baggy. They're not. I just need a different.
Speaker 4: Size of genes, which is like, which is so great, Like I don't like I'm you know, started at the heaviest that I've ever been, and so I'm just like really excited to go back down a size or two.
Speaker 1: I haven't.
Speaker 2: I haven't really tried yet in pants. Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, and then you can like healthfully recover. I'm like, oh my god, I didn't know. There's so many people in these four walls that have had breast production or they're going through it as well. There's some people in these walls that have had breast and plants because they've gone through cancer. There's so many, like, so many different things I myself did have. We will call it a breast lugging. So I have breast and plants, which is not really secret. I had them done I don't know, twelve, twelve, thirteen years ago maybe, and I had it done when I was in my twenties. So I'm like, fast forward to today. I don't know if I would do it. In my famous last words, I went to like one of the top five surgeons in Canada or Ontario or whatever, like a sleepover nurse, like a sleepover anyway. It was like a private practice that I went to, and my famous last words were, well, just filled them up so I can get my money's worth. So I ended up being man made from like a B cut with like a fifty band. Is the thing. A lot of people like when you like shop for like plus sized clothes and stuff, there's so many people that they just assume that if you're like four hundred pounds that you have gigantic melons, which is totally not the case for myself. So I remember like losing weight and likes my dresses and everything would just like fall open. And I remember I was in There's a store in Toronto and I was with my mom and it's like all Italians for the most part, and I tried on this dress and I kept going down in sidees from down, insides down in size. It just hit my watch that wasn't fun. And I went down size and this Italian woman watched was oh, no, no, you can't wear that dress. You have no booze. I was like, okay, anyway, my mom bought the dress, never wore it. And then after I had my bood job, I was like, remember remember that dress from a long time ago that you got Like, I don't know what you're talking about. I'm like, yes, you do, it's in your closet. It's still stay. I'll take it now. Literally that she did like, here, take it, I'll never wear it. I'm like, I know it's been in here for years now actually, so I actually wore that so in my second yeah, yeah, my third competition that I did. So when I play second at a twin end competitors with the w BFF at Worlds in Las Vegas, we had different we had different athletes meetings that we had to go to leading up to that event, and actually wore that dress for one of the events events. So to me, that was like yay, gold check mark contained. But I ended up being man made to be an at Cup and now that I'm not a small quotation mark, I'm much stronger than when I was in my mid twenties. Now I'm a g so like this sucks and no matter what I wear, I'm like, I always look like I'm bigger than what I am and it's so uncomfortable. Like that's something the one warned me about is when you go from being like small chested to gigantic, like you're like floating, like trying to do stuff on your chest and stuff like that. I'm like, all my shorts are too short, too short, my shirts that look like when the boo, I'm like, oh no, I have to wear undershirts to cover all my ship. But anyway, long story short, it's interesting because everyone has their own yea and some people don't talk out loud, like on the gym floor, we hear, but like I'm trying to get in more protein, I'm trying to get in less stress. I come here because it's the mental health. But you know I'm saying like, oh I got a boot job, it feels good, or oh I'm working towards getting a breast direction, like there's not a whole lot of that.
Speaker 3: Yeahsation, Yeah no, that's definitely like my main reason for being here other than like mental health and helping my anxiety.
Speaker 2: Which has also been like crazy help for me as well.
Speaker 1: So so, so what do you find, Like I always go into the wheel of emotion because a lot of people think that the wheel of emotions just like anger, sadness, excitedness, and like humor or whatever. I don't think that's like those things. But there's so much more different feelings in the wheel of emotion. So like when I wanted to ask what it's like, what do you want to feel? And I actually did this with a life coach years ago, and I said, well, I want to feel the word radiant. Feel what makes me feel radiant? Like I want to feel like it's beyond even just saying I just want to feel like we hear that so much, Like I just want to feel good. What is good to you? Like, how do you want to feel I want to feel radiant? Like super Mario when he hits like the do and he hits a flashing star, then he can go and take over the entire world, not necessarily world, but you know what I mean. Like he goes into like the evil plants that are throwing things at him, they just die when he touches them, like nothing is holy the super Mario flashing thing back. And I know that's a stretch. I hope some of you are audio and visual burners know what I'm talking about right now. And if you didn't play video games, then me neither. But like radiance, radiance, So I'm like, okay, well, working out makes me feel radiant? Kind of well kind of workouts making it feel radiant? Is it the strength training? Is it? Cardio? What style? And I said, well, step step work for workouts And then at the time I wasn't taking zoom and I never had done maybe once in my life. I did the zoo way, so like dancing specifically, but now I'm too old to go out dancing. Some people are still that's fine, no shame, that's just not for me. So I love dancing to feel radiant, and I love like step class was my answer. And then she's like, okay, I'm like and music. She said, well what style of music? And I said, well, I love all music. When I want to feel radiant, I love like Latin music. Then that's how we left it. So she was like, Okay, when you want to feel this way, when you don't feel that way, these are the things that you can choose to grab a step. You can grab a step class. Well there's not a lot of places anymore that are teaching step, but grab a step class. And I was teaching stuff at the time. And then she said, or dance it out. So when I was coming back from Cuba, I was sitting in the airport and I was like, oh, okay, sign up to teach you zoomba. I was so anti Zooma. I kid you not like as a zoom instructor for like I think four years now, I'm like, I've never I came from like the more of the CrossFit, bodybuilding style background, and I love I loved like taking step and like those things within reason because I like I wanted to have like my harder exterior, Like you don't. Those worlds don't make They can, but they can't. Two things can be true at the same time. You can love zuoma, you can love strength training, you can love bar bell work, and you can love doing step class. So I was like, Okay, so these are the things. So that's a whole long winded bunny trail that brings me back to when you feel good? What is it that you love to do that makes you feel good? Like so far, you've been doing quite a few different styles of classes here, which one ultimately when you leave here, makes you feel the most best.
Speaker 3: The most goodest, the goodest that I feel when I leave here. Honestly, I love the cardio kick. Yeah, well so I think the like the strong fit, definitely like doing the super sets. I do really like that, But the cardio kick is very It's just different than anything that I've like tried before. And I remember doing the first class using the whatever the rental ones that are here for your versus the boxing gloves. Yeah, and then being like I need to purchase my own, and I like post it on the app, being like I need recommendations because I want to keep hitting something. So I feel like, yeah, the cardio kick cardio on the Wednesday mornings, I love that one for sure. But other than that, like the strong the Strong Fit doing the super sets. I was that's the one that I was doing this morning and my legs were just yellow by the end from like the different squads that.
Speaker 2: We did, squads on squats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so fun. So then are you here tomorrow? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think it's Strong Fit again.
Speaker 1: Different. The nice thing is that we don't repeat exact Yeah. So the cardio, yeah, how often? How often do we actually get to hold things? Never?
Speaker 2: That's what I mean. That's why it's so fun.
Speaker 3: I was like, you know, you do like the the up and down movement and like the just the different Yeah, I love all the movements.
Speaker 2: It feels so good.
Speaker 3: It feels like I've just you know, like it's it's one thing to be like, you know, throwing a weight around, but another thing to like actually be hitting something and being.
Speaker 2: Like this feels so good.
Speaker 3: I'm not an angry person, but like, sometimes it's fun to hit since.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny, I remember when you first joined. I was like, oh, you're a little bit more like the quieter or so. So usually this is just something because we've taught cardio kick for these four years now, and the friend the trend is that the people that love it the very very most are always the more quieter people. It's so shocking to me when someone is like so like kind, like kind and like soft spoken. I'm everything, I'm so kind, but like I am complete opposite personality of that. So when I hear someone say like that's my favorite and they didn't even think they wanted to try it in the first place, I was like, oh, we have one member. This was going back when I first bought the bags and I went up to her, am, I do you think you're gonna do this class? And she was like no. I'm like, well, she's like I don't want like I don't kick in punish things. I was like, okay, she's super like to put together and she's so pretty and she's so kind, and like I couldn't I couldn't imagine her punching or kicking anything, even myself, to be honest, but like still has bad ass bove so. But I actually dragged the bag over to her spot, and I was like, okay, just just try it. Like here's some gloves. Their mind, they're new, just try it, just try it. She's like okay, she did, and she did, and she like punched it once and she like looked at the bag and then she punched it twice. I'm like, okay, what else you got? Like all right, all right, and she's I'm like, what do you think. She's like, not bad, not bad. And then the next time she came in it was cardio kit coss. She comes in with these brand new gloves and likes by her own glass. She's like, yes, like I love that so much. She hasn't unless she's been out of the country. She has not missed a cardio Okay, yeah, yeah, And it's so phenomenal to see it because it was like, no, I don't do those things to like I see her in class now and she's a freaking weapon. Yeah yeah. And then like chakes off her gloves and cleansing, puts her bag back and then she like she like floats when she watched like floats, like, oh my god. Nobody would know during the day that you went to a six am plastic ship from your bag. I think that's one of my favorite things. So it's interesting how that works. And the bags are neat to So the bags are the Century Fight simulator bags actually, so they're actually in Did you ever watch Copra Kai? So there's the show Copra Kai. It was remade like from the Karate Kid and it had some of the original kid actors that are not adults in the show, but it's all like karate and stuff. And they have those in almost like every episode at least once or twice because they're like sponsoreds something through Central. So those bags, they don't make them anymore, but some places do have them that you can order them. There was a place in Barry that had a bunch of them as well. It's it's like a specific martial arts gym. When they're used with the proper technique, those bags can last a long time. But they're meant to be like wavering bags, like they're not meant to ever be heavy bags. And I'm saying that on the podcast because there's a few people that have said, like, the bags move a lot, so it's time to replace the bags. And I'm like, you have like two cardio kay classes a week because of some of the other classes like strong fit, Circuit power burn, tempo steps as those are also very popular. So those bags are what they cost because they moved, are not going to be replaced anytime soon. And at least four of those bags are breds, so when they move, people are like, oh, the bag just keeps moving and it goes to the one side. I'm like their fight simulator bags. It's meant to be like an opponent, so it's meant to be like you know those those bags can get them for like twenty dollars, have homart and they're blow up, yeah, like those like tip over clown things. So essentially that's how those bags were made in mind, but more sturdy, so they're meant to go side to side. And that's why I'm like, practice your footwork, walk around the bag, because some times I see the same people that just beat the ship out of a bag for forty minutes just in the one spot. They're like, oh, we need new bags. The bags are falling apart, and I'm like, they're new bags. They're meant to be They're meant to do that. You got to go to the other side. So yeah, yeah, and I'm like, if if you me in the same spot for so I always try to be kind, but like try to remind people like move around the bag. It's a fight simulator because like you know, like when you like box with somebody, like you go back and forth and you duck. So that's how those bags are designed.
Speaker 3: I will move around it more now, I do know you, no, I do sometimes, but sometimes I'm just like no, I just want to like sit here or stand here and just like punch the crap out of it. So but I hear you say, like move around the bag, I'm like, okay, I guess yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Some people will start move around the bag, so we'll just they won't. But like those bags, when they're done, they're done. So like I'm trying to really uphold those bags. But we have different stuff coming in in the gym now as well. So it was funny that you messaged me last night about the skier and I'm like, actually, I don't know if you saw my stories, like the trip to Better the gym, the Bucks, that's where I went. That's where I went. So I went to there's a fitness store in Marco so I drove there to pick up the skier and I was told they had some in stock and they didn't. And they didn't. I had to order them. But I said to the guy I want like I want X amount and he's like, we don't have that. I'm like, well you can also include He's like, I have X amount of boxes in the back, Like, well, then you can also include the floor model. Yeah, And I'm like I'll pay the full price. I don't care. I just want it, and I want it today, Like I drove here from Barry and he's like, oh, okay, and then he goes to the back. He comes out because he's like, no, we can't sell the floor model. Then he comes back out he's like we don't have It's like we don't have any in the back. Like I'm not leaving here without at least one skier. Like this was my to do list. I'm using that fin Chat or you have like check Mark to buy your little guy clothes. I'm like, I'm not going to have to say that I didn't do that, Like I need to get a new shoes, new shoes from my little fish on my app. But anyway, so I'm like, no, no, no, like I really need that skier. He's like, okay, we will sell it to you, and then he's like, I'll just no text. I'm like, okay, whatever. At this point, I don't even care what it is. So I packed it up and we took it apart, and then I'm like, oh, now I'm going to see how people like it. If people like the skier, then I'm going to order more. I think it's more inclusive because a lot of people want like a rower, and I looked at the rowers and actually I was going to get a rower as well while I was there. And then the air bikes, which we used to have two or three of them, but I sold them because they were inclusive. So the rower and the air bike is called it himself bike as well. Air bike just sounds much more pounder totally. I sold them because those three, and I had one or two rowers as well, they all have a weight limit of three hundred and fifty pounds. Yeah, yeah like that, so I don't like that either. So that's why. And a lot of people with the air bike because the handles come in.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's different than a regular bike.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because you use your power from your entire body. It's a lot more challenging than a standard bike. But they're mostly used in spaces that are more like CrossFit, right, so like rare. It's very rare in CrossFit that you would have someone that's like four hundred pounds or someone who's a bigger body. Person like that still exists in that space. So I'm not saying that it doesn't and they don't say like, hey, you're not welcome. However, that equipment the weight limit, especially for insurance purposes, you have to go buy what the weight limits. I would hate for someone to come in here and be like, well, you can't use the roller and you can't use the bike because you're six foot five and four hundred and fifty pounds, Like you know what I mean, Like, it doesn't make sense. So the skiers are very inclusive. So that's why we maybe instead of getting like one or two of each, maybe you'll just get like three or four skiers and then not have to worry about the weight house. But I'm still debating if I should get a roller in a bike just for like the back of people that do want to practice deca that they can come in and do that yeah, so we'll see how that goes. I'm going to see how people enjoy this skier because I know I love it and I know Chris loves it as well. The shoe fiasco that we've been going through, did you have the memos? What I actually came across yesterday one of the videos that I also shared and someone, uh, there's boxing gloves got moved to another puppy and I shared a video please make sure you label your cuppies and labeled them at the top, like this has been an ongoing thing. Right now we're not. So now we're not. We're not quartering everybody's shoes. I was like, we're not storing anyone's shoes or boxing gloves or puppies anymore because there's like I think there's two or three hundred slots for people's stuff. That's a mess. That's a mess. So when you have like a few hundred people and everyone's my shoes or shoes, my shoes are gone, I kid you not. Actually someone just said, like I heard someone say, like, what's what's up with the shoes talking? We can't store a stuff? Like has there been a problem there's at least I kid you not a problem every single week. So on top of trying to manage everything, I'm also managing people's shoes, which at first I didn't mind, but it's excessive. Now. I actually had an extra camera installed right above or the pop fridge is just so I could have an entire view up close of the shoe puppies. I'm like, this is beyond running a gym at this point. So now it's like, wait, everyone takes your phone, but when I sell those cuppies, I'm just going to reinvest it into our equipment. So yeah, that's the idea, And I'm saying that on the podcast. When people hear it, they're like, oh, yes, great, because now it's like I don't like to just take things away, right, Like that's not me as a person. So now if we reinvested, you're like, oh, now there's some more cool, fun things that I can use as an option here. It'll make people feel better rather than I can't store my shoes.
Speaker 2: Happy shopping.
Speaker 1: Yeah, someone said them like using that tag, we're talking and then we're talking in the morning, and someone was like, should should have posted that, Like, oh, by the way, these are this is the gym bag. I recommend post your affiliate. I'm like, you know what, that would have been a great idea. However, everyone would come in with the same bag and like someone took my gym bags would change the situation that it would be like it was like in the winter sometimes where it's like other houle jackets hole or boots or shoes or and it happens everyere like I like, I even followed the brilliant roller rings and like through the gym's Facebook and they were posting for like two weeks.
Speaker 2: Someone wore these shoes home.
Speaker 1: Someone with the wrong shoes home, these your shoes. They were ugs to me, and to me it sounded like they never got that as me whereas me, if I don't saw the part and this is part of me because I was going to part this is the part that I really love is if I don't saw that issue and have it resolved within five minutes, I'm very disalloyed to get.
Speaker 2: Myself five minutes five minutes.
Speaker 1: I got so many cameras in this place. I can see people walking up with the with them own shoes on. They're changing the wrong shoes when they come in. I can see when they've taken their shoes off and it's saying that I don't. However, this is why we have for incidents. So I'm like, okay, if this person with those shoes, I could check our staff app to see what class was in there. Usually I'm like, oh, I bet it was this person because they have similar styles. But I can literally see someone like leaving in a hurry and just slipping on someone else's shoes and walking out the door. Thankfully, we haven't had anyone really get like we really angry about that because they know. I put my detective hat on and I'm like, okay, I got five minutes to solve this case.
Speaker 3: See I I just when everyone started getting blendstones, I just put my initials in the tongue. I actually don't know if I if I did that to my shoes here I did, so my initials are in the tongue on my shoe, just in case anyone had the same ones.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: The in the in the winter, it's ugs that are very popular. No one has ever worn my ugs home because at first I was nervous liking the front door because this winter this winter they got a new like snow contract person and they in front of my emergency door. They put like a tile foot tile of the entire parking lots and no in front of it, and I was like, are you kidding? Like I thought they were going to move it. They never just kept growing, so I stopped. So I stopped coming through the back door and go through the front. I was going through the front door, so I would take out my boots there. I hope no one steals them. But no one ever not steals the hope everyone accidentally wears these out. And we've never having steel coming on steel things on purpose, just to clarify, but I was like, oh, my ugs, are men person the only person that's going to wear these matter like the tail but like yeah, but like in the falls bloodstones and then and then in the summer all the different stocks and crocs as well, but not like but not like the ones with like some we'll have like the big fuzzy like time hitting things that you shove charms, widgets, wichets, fidgets. Yeah. Yeah, it's always like those style of shoes because everyone in here has a good taste for the most part. Another style of shoe that's really surfaced in here is the sketchers slip ons y. Yeah, they don't even need a shoehorn in the back stays intact. So for anyone who loves shoving their foot and their shoes without untying their laces, freaking fantastic. So many people have them, I should get them breaking and they're breaking my fingers trying to not tie my.
Speaker 2: Hands, breaking the back of your shoes literally literally.
Speaker 1: And actually last winter winter that just passed, I learned to shoehorn and that's why we have shoehorns in here. And yeah, and I have like a little mini one for my my bag. So I just take it as long as long as they're at the time, my cheese. So back to the back to the fitness train. Where are you? So? Where are you in your journey now? And what does it look like in six months from now?
Speaker 2: Journey now?
Speaker 3: I think I still feel like I'm at the beginning, but I feel so much stronger already, and like I said, with like just like my pants not fitting already, like it's crazy. And this morning I switched to a forty pound kettlebell from like thirty thirty five. I was switching back and forth between those ones, and.
Speaker 2: My butt is all like I'm.
Speaker 3: Already starting to see I've never had like I've always like I've always had a flat butt, and so I'm like starting to see some definition in that and that is like I'm like, I'm going to do more squats. I'm like loving that. And I think just the change in my face as well. I think every time I've gotten like a little bit bit like to like my max wait, I've noticed like I just I don't smile as much because my my face is bigger, and.
Speaker 1: Does that make feel does that make you feel self conscious of how you look or it's uncomfortable in how it.
Speaker 3: Feels how I look in pictures, and so I smile like I just smile less or like not as strong, I think, And so like the last you know, like month or so, I'm like i feel like I like got my smile back a little bit, which is like so lame, but like also really good. I just like have noticed it in my face so much. And then yeah, like six months from now, like I'm hoping that I can do that deca thing and and get to that and just be stronger in like all aspects and just keep coming here like i'd like to.
Speaker 2: I feel like I feel.
Speaker 3: Like I also push myself to try and be like I need to attend all the classes every single morning, and I think to like doing like the overachieving doesn't necessarily help me actually like get to every class. You know that you asked me why I wasn't there not all last week, but like she's like.
Speaker 2: It's been a couple of days.
Speaker 1: Where have you been?
Speaker 2: And I'm like I was tired.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Sorry that's the truth, but I'm.
Speaker 1: Now you all know.
Speaker 3: But right, So like I'm like, okay, so what do I want like the schedule to be?
Speaker 2: And I think figuring that out.
Speaker 3: I mean my life kind of you know, I have a nine to five, but I also have rental property, so sometimes I'm like doing extra stuff at night, or you know, I get a text early in the morning to fix something.
Speaker 2: Things like that.
Speaker 3: So I think trying to make some sort of schedule of like Okay, I'm I'm gonna go Monday, Tuesday and Thursday and maybe Friday.
Speaker 2: So I don't.
Speaker 3: Get like down on myself for missing a day and not like trying to like go all out and just being sad that I didn't do it, because it's like you can't just go like zero to one hundred, right, Like it's progression. So I think work on some sort of schedule to feel better about like how often I'm going, yeah, I love.
Speaker 1: Like you said that. There's so many times when I put this high, high expectation on themselves and then they miss that expectation and then all of a sudden they creates shame or they're like, oh, I just can't do it right. So like getting to the gym for three classes a week is actually fantastic, and that's twelve workouts. That's three workouts in a week if you can get so if you can get to like the fourth or the fifth one, amazing, incredible. But having that that unseen pressure is normally like there's like maybe if we're gonna throw out fake facts here, maybe like two and ten people might be motivated by the extra pressure most but most realistically people are not. So Like when you go from zero or maybe like one workout randomly in a week or the next week to go to five or six classes in one week. That is such a high expectation that people have on themselves. There's some people that they come in hot and they sustain that for years, very very rare, usually in the trends, and I've been operating my own gym since twenty twelve and I see it. Sometimes there's two things that happen. There's either people don't trust themselves and they join on like a ten class pass and because they say like this, okay, well this I don't I don't want to put too much pressure and get too excited, and then I don't stick to it. So they are like, okay, I'll just start with the ten classmen, and then they come in, they do two classes, three classes, and that ten month pass that has a six month expiring is done in a matter of three weeks, and they're like, oh, wow, I surprised myself. I'm going to join on a membership. And then there's some people that are like, well, now I'm going to start as a twelve session membership. And then they're like, oh, I didn't expect that. I was going to love it so much, but now I'm out of classes. So to me, I'm like, well, the worst case scenario is is that you over expect or under expect and over deliver like this. So, like there's different styles of how people get motivated. There's some people that are like, you know what, I'm motivated right now. I don't want the limitation to hold me back. So I'm going to jump in as unlimited because i want to do my inbody when I first start. I want to go unlimited. I want to keep track and do my embody every month. And then there's some people that are like, you know what I'm going I don't know what I'm going to be doing for the next year, So I don't think. I'm like, I don't know what I'm going to be doing here the next year or six months. I don't want to make promises to myself. But then there's people that come in and they're like, you know what, I spent more on less, So I'm going to prepay for the year I'm gonna start. I'm gonna make a twelve month commitment to myself. And this is about me because where your money is is where your heart's going, your time, your money, like that's that's priorities, right, So like getting to the getting to the gym three times a week is such a feat because that's putting yourself first at least three times per month to say actually I'm actually getting through the door and actually coming here like moving my body. That's just your secluded time three times a weekly. There's actually we have quite a few members in here now, but in the outside world there's not a whole lot of people that do that. They're exhausted because they do everything for everybody else. So what if my time, I can't get to the gym because I have to drive this one or I have to do this, and to say no to everything else that is a priority to get through the door. And when you know like okay, well maybe I'm gonna come Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, maybe the optional Friday. And you know that you're flexible. So usually you're here at six am. Today you're here at eight because we're also podcasting after class. But like there's wig there's wiggled rooms. So I remember one person saying, well, I'm just giving up on my fitness journey because I can't come five days a week at six am. I'm like, oh, girl, arranger schedule the She's like, it has to be this in my mind. And she comes from a competitive sports background, from herself, her family, everything. She's like, you know, if I can't do five days a week at six am, it's not good day. Like one day I might not feel good, like if she gets sick or if she's like I'm tired and she misses one class. She's like, well, now I ruined my five day a week streak. I got to start next week. And then she's like, no, I don't trust myself now because those promises weren't kept to herself. But they were also so incredibly high, like life has enough pasture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was interesting.
Speaker 3: We talked about this at one point too, that I had always thought that like working out in my brain, like I would do it after work, but I'm so tired after work.
Speaker 2: Not that I have a hard job.
Speaker 3: I'd sit at a desk, but I'm just like, my brain is exhausted, and I don't I didn't want to come here. So I was like, Okay, well, I've never been a morning person before.
Speaker 1: But like, let me try.
Speaker 2: So I'm like six am. And then I remember messaging you.
Speaker 3: I was up at the cottage on a weekend and it was like five thirty in the morning and I was awake, and I was like, oh, no, I've become a morning person. I'm not waking up to go to the gym, but I'm at the cottage and I'm not going to the gym. What do I do for another three hours before everyone else makes up? But it's like it's good to like have the schedule, and at least at least I never thought that I would be able to get onto a schedule like that, So I think that is even just like part of the feat for me. Like even if I don't go five days a week in the morning, I'm still like kind of like waking up at that time, so I can keep that schedule, and so I think it's it's good either either way. So I'm like, but you know, keeping with like the three to four I think five.
Speaker 1: I came in hot I was.
Speaker 3: Like, Hi, I'm new here. I'd like to do high rocks. And then it was like already part way through April and I was like five.
Speaker 2: Days a week, let's go. I want to get my sticker. And I didn't get my sticker in April, but I got it. Did I get it the next month?
Speaker 1: I can't remember.
Speaker 3: Yeah, May and May and June, so I've gotten it the other months, So I'm excited about that too.
Speaker 2: That's like also one of my favorite.
Speaker 3: Things about being here a stickers, like an adult gold Star.
Speaker 1: It's funny to see how it's changed because at first I'm like, I'm not I'm not getting a sticker. But I was like, because at first what I was doing was I would do like like I would like, I would do it a draw to pick like one person's name. And then and then I was like, you know what, at one time, we only had like five or six people on our check and champions. It was called something else. Oh, the committed Club is what it was called back in the day. We didn't have like a crazy high like membership thing anyways, but we would get like five or six people were like, oh yeah, we have like oh my gosh, we had ten people on the Committed Club this month. This is crazy. But then I'm like, it's always the same thing. It's always the same draw. No one needs a ten dollar gift card. It's important to say good job, Like there's it has to be something getting to the gym at least twelve times. Everyone should get something on that. And I'm not overly a fan of everybody gets a participant award, like I don't love that, But in this getting to the gym twelve times or more, that is a trophy that is like you deserve first place in your life because you did them or something. So I'm like, how can Yeah, So I'm like, how can I make it inclusive? How can I make it so then everyone is valued and gets something? Now I can't afford to give everybody on the check and Champion like this is a yetti congratulations and I got to give sixty people like a YETI you know what I mean. I'm like, that's not even worth the membership at that point. So I'm like, what what can I do? I would love to know? But like so I was like the stickers. So I started with like these little, these little paper cheapy type stickers, and I have designed every single one of the stickers, and people were people were like excited about them, and they're putting them on their water bottles and they were lasting until they started going into the dishwasher. So then after like a month or two, their beautiful crispy sticker now looked like someone tried to peel the sticker off of something. From the mean, I was like, ah, I'm like, okay, we need to change the stickers upgraded. So I upgraded them. So I had like a month after months of realizing this because I'm like, well, obviously, don't put yourself in the dishwasher. And then I see Chris. I had like this big like leader was two leaders yetty and all my stickers on it, and I see Chris started to use it from work and she's putting it in the dishwashers, and I was like, okay, okay, so you can't just say don't put yourself in the dishwall. You're going to put your stuff wherever you want, right, So like okay. So then after a few months we upgraded to paper back papers plastic back sticker, and then now and then now we're doing like the die cut clear on that are ones that are like way more advance advanced than the stickers that we first started with. The reason why, but the reason why I kept upgrading them is because people wanted them and I'm not and I'm not someone people are like, oh, do you ever look at your competition? No, I don't give a ship what my competition is doing, unless like they want to high five, Like there's someone in Barrier that recently franchised or un licensed with a big brand and that was American as well, And they're like, no, we're just going to do our own thing now. And I actually sent them a message on Instagram. I'm like, hey, I'm like, this just popped up because a friend like had tagged it and another friend that I know, I'm like, congratulations, this is amazing, scary, amazing, amazing, and they're like, thank you so much. From another gym to another gym, Like that's really awesome. Like there's a community over competity. So the sticker thing, I'm like, I don't care if people don't believe in stickers or people do believe in stickers. All I know is under this umbrella the people that the people standing in front of me thrive on the stickers.
Speaker 2: Don't care about sticks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everyone cares about There's like maybe two or people to talk about, and they're like, I don't want to a crush around myself. I don't really care about stickers, but everybody else I celebrate those people the exact same way, because I'm like, hey, you're still giving here, like that's still consistency. So like the sticker thing just blew up. So I'm like, Okay, you guys want stickers out of the past and you want to make them cool and like seeing people get excited about it. I don't, like, I don't have kids, right, but I could imagine, like on Christmas Day after you bought stuff that your kids love, like, no wonder people are buying their kids eight hundred dollars pass come on now, but no wonder. Like like I was like, oh, Like we were talking about like cars and stuff. I'm like, who would This was like a couple of years ago, and I that us, like who would buy the kids bread? Are like, what the hell? I've seen some of the parents their kids are driving nicer cars, and they would they do that? They don't care about themselves. And then and then we were talking recently, like about our nieces and stuff like that. I'm like, oh, yeah, when x amount turns x years old and years old and they do this and they achieve this, then we should get them a car. And then I was like, wait, wait, I'm not dreaming back because that's not my kid. But like I could see how that different in a different parallel with the stickers. So I'm like, you guys are so happy with the stickers, and it's not just about people being happy with the sticker, it's about them working towards something that is actually super healthy. So it's like they're getting here twelve times, they're getting stronger. Like you said, you got your smile back to me, That to me means forging everything goes. So it goes so much more deeper than just having that sticker because when people see it, it brings them pride. It tells them like, hey, this this is something you did. This isn't something your family did. This isn't something your kids did. Like one of our members, she had she actually participated in Decca and she had her her metal her very card and she looked at it and she's like, I won my own trophy, not just for being a dance mom and watching my kids earn their trophy. I got my home. She was like the first time, this is mine. And I'm like, I was almost I was almost crying. I was so proud of her, and I was like, you are right. Because that's something I reference quite often is so many parents and people put their pride in It doesn't even need to be kids. It could be their job, their work. Like and I'm preaching to the wire when I say when you put your entire life into your job and your work, because it brings me the most joy. But something I've been doing recently is focusing on myself. Like since June, I've lost June first, I've lost like over fifteen pounds now and a fact, so we might e body at least once every two weeks actually, And I'm not just celebrating other people's wills. I'm also celebrating my own wins. Even if some people don't know that I'm having those wins, it's still very detrimental to me. So like now that I have other coaches that are stepping up into some of like my coaching, so like any coaching on Mondays phenomenal, not just for me and everybody else in the room, for her too, but like now it's allowing it's allowing me to have at least one day that I can work on stuff that's not just in the gym and not coaching. So now we're here on the podcast, it's Monday, I can do the nutrition thing all but also I don't have the stress of trying to solve everyone's problems in one morning when I can actually start to regulate my own nervousness absolutely, which I.
Speaker 2: Think is so important. And we've talked about that a little bit as well.
Speaker 3: As being entrepreneurs and also you know, just making sure that we take time for us. I remember when you posted something about starting therapy and I was like, yes, that's so good.
Speaker 2: It's important to take care of yourself too.
Speaker 3: But you know when you're spend all your time here taking time for yourself as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, yeah, totally and like thing with like my therapist. And it's funny because we just talked about that with Annie and you and myself before Annie left with eating's birthday, birthday every day, and I was like, I was like, oh, like I said about like my therapist, like, I'm a very self aware person and I am very much so someone who is confident, and I am someone that I'm very confident in my decisions because I don't make decisions out of emotion, and when things are highly emotional, I'm like, this is not how I operate. And then sometimes I've learned like not to like react with emotion back because I can't stund it. So like if someone gets like over emotional and they fire off like a five six seven page text message, I literally will open it and be like I'm going to put that away, Like that's away, like totally and then there's sometimes people send it but it actually doesn't go through depending on what platform they because some of my stuff is actually how is it called like monitored through like a like AI essentially, so if I do get a long paragraph, it's email act, I actually don't even get the message. So, like a few like a year ago, someone was upset about something and they sent me a whole thing, and one of her friends were like, did you see this message from her? Because you didn't respond and you're posting on Instagram. I'm like, I'm like what, I'm like, no, it didn't. That's like, but that's your phone number, Like, that's my phone umber. Look, this is my phone. Actually I actually literally didn't get that. I was like, all right, because I haven't filtered that. If someone like overly sends like too many characters, I guess there's a character limit, it doesn't get sent, but in return I then realize that it doesn't tell them that it's not the limit any So anyway, part of that's part of like the thing about also regulating through therapy as well, because as an entre generial person, who do you go.
Speaker 3: To talk to someone else who's also super busy and maybe doesn't have time to talk about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Like in the gym, like some of my coaches are kept in the loop about certain things or things that pertain to what they need to do, or different incidents or things that happen like with shoes or someone's looking for this, or like maybe like maybe like the in body has like an issue, which not one has never had an issue, but like they'll they'll be informed on things that matter to them. Before I used to like divulge information to the coaches, but now I'm like, it's not their place, it's not their business, it's not their burden to take on these things. So I'm like, well, this is where I see my therapists every two weeks, sometimes once a week, depending on if shit has not a fan or not. Because in the gym, people walk in and everything looks great, right Like there's no drama, there's no problems, there's no issue. Filter. I'm the filter and I'm the only filter. So I filter a whole bunch of stuff that now it's up to me if I'm going to pass it into my team and into.
Speaker 2: This which is a lot to carry.
Speaker 1: There's a lot to carry. It's a lot to carry so when I can talk to a therapist about those things, sometimes sometimes she just listens. Sometimes sometimes there's no solution. Sometimes, and sometimes it's because she's also a business owner and she owns her practice. You'll say okay, she'll say okay, so that was handled actually really well. Sometimes sometimes just having that high five validation validate validates because I've said to her before, like I've had to take care of this in this context. Is this a form of solutions? This is not direct because this person cannot have something said to them direct because it will hurt them their feelings, even though it's business and not personal. So I started now to their enneagram, their personality traits, trying to have a conversation through rue what I would consider passive aggressive, just tell me how it is.
Speaker 2: So I'm like okay.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, okay, what is this because this doesn't fit for me. But it got the job done. It made them feel good and they understood. I was like, yeah, that to me sounds like manipulation because that's not me as a person. And she's like, no, that's operating through someone else's lens and perspective. Okay. I'm like yeah, okay, because I have been doing that quite a bit in the last I'm going to say eighteen eighteen months or so. That's like how people knew my children eighteen months. It's eighteen last weeks. But in the last eighteen months, I've noticed it, and I've noticed a distinctive. Even though it's not genuine to my personality type, it's still considering other people's feelings. Yeah, wow, wow, was.
Speaker 2: Bearing out hearing out.
Speaker 1: But I think it's important to have a place, a place that you can just go and get out that so, and I know, like a lot of people come in to the gym and they have those burdens, but they come here as their safe place because now no one's asking them, no one cares. People care, but no one cares. Like in the podcast I know, I sent you the one with Olivia yesterday, and that's something Olivia said publicly on the podcast, and she said, you know what, after grief, during grief, during grief doesn't really like your leave, but like she can come in here and it's not oh, you should be sad, why are you shaking your booty in zoom, But like she can come in and still two things can be true at the same times, you could be shaking your booty in Zuma and you could be grieving in a lost relationship. There's like there's so many things can be true, So like when people have when people have a safe place that kind of validates how they feel, or they can just not think about anything.
Speaker 3: And I think too, like with the anxiety that I have, like I've noticed, like even sometimes like the rare occasion, I'll come to a night class and that's because I've got crazy anxiety going on. I'm like, I can't go home and just like sit there because I all spiral. So I'm like, Okay, I'm gonna come here and think about how much my arm hurts while lifting this weight instead, And I love that and it gets the the jitters of the anxiety out of my body and then I can go home and be like Okay, like I still feel some sort of way, but I don't feel that kind of like physicalness of the anxiety that I was having.
Speaker 2: So it's so much better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's interesting. Yeah, that's interesting. There's someone in here. She said that sometimes she likes to finish the class in a plank because it's actually been proven that when you are shaking that it's actually like I think the term is somatic, Like it's actually like your nervous system starting to heal because it's getting stress relieved in like a different as I see that sitting and shaking you're in a plank or like that hip rotation thing. I don't know if you've done.
Speaker 4: That with me.
Speaker 3: That's literally a muscle that I didn't know existed because I literally I just like squeezed the ball and I'm like, I don't really think I'm squeezing, but I'm really trying.
Speaker 2: So it's just I need to work on whatever muscle that is.
Speaker 1: It's interesting that's your hip because when you turn your I don't have those that there's internal and external rotation, so like in a nutshell, we're not censored. So that's your legs closed is your internal rotation and external external is when your hips are open. Yeah, So how often do you do a lot of things in that position and in that rotation as well? Like knees are close squeezing the ball, and then your feet are nice and wide, so it's like making a V shaped like with your knees to your feet. That's not never not And also that's such a nice way to not injure people's knees as well, because you're on your back and you have blody ball between your knees rather than being on your knees on your back and stuff like that. So, what is one thing if you could give anyone that's listening advice or or a quote or trick of the trade. What is actually those are two things. What is one thing that has made your fitness journey easier? And and too, what is one piece of advice that you would give to someone struggling to get through the door made it easier?
Speaker 3: Honestly coming here, it's not scary, and all the coaches and the people are so nice. Rather than going to I don't know, like a bigger gym and just working out on my own, there's people here that can keep you accountable as well in a non pressury way of being like, hey, I missed you at this class sort of thing. Is so nice to have such a warm welcome with people, and just it becomes like like a social activity as well, not just not just coming here working out and leaving. So many people are here way earlier than I am, and I feel like I'm still like seven minutes early, and people are here like fifteen minutes early and they're chatting with all the different people, and some people stay after and then people go to different sort of like we did the mud mud Girl whatever, and so I met some people from like different classes, like evening classes, and so it's just nice. It's a good community of people here and a good range of ages and all that.
Speaker 2: What was the second question?
Speaker 1: What is what is advice? What is on one advice that you would give someone who's struggling to get through the door, like a word of encouragement or quote.
Speaker 2: I don't know, just do it, because like what what do you have to lose?
Speaker 3: Like, you know, you could come and not like it, but at least you went and tried it, or you could come and love it and then you stay like I did, right, Like you have to get out there and and try it. Ori'll you know, think about well what if you know, like I I I feel like I'd been following the gym for probably like two months before, and I had been talking to my friends being like, oh, you know, like I really want to try this gym because it's like actually close to my house. That's another thing that is like so nice. This is so close to me.
Speaker 1: Unless but like, yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: So I was like trying to convince my friends to go, and you know, they all have busy lives, and I was like, Okay.
Speaker 2: Okay, I can do it.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna I'm gonna go by myself. And now I come by myself every other day ish. So I think, yeah, just like, you know, what do you have to lose besides go be awkward and then and then leaving.
Speaker 1: The first class is always usually a little awkward. Yeah, because if they don't know anybody, especially we have like quite a few introverted people that have joined the gym because they're looking to step out of their their shell a little bit. And how often do we get to make healthy out of friendships? And like a lot of like the friendship groups, what are they doing. They're going to the bar, They're going out for food all the time, They're doing all these things where women specifically who are a little more health cautious, conscious cautious. What is there that people have to offer, Like I mean, like there's pick a wall, which I tried to get into. It was okay, but it's super like don't sit on that court. That court has to be here, keep on moving, like you're losing ten seconds by not walking as fast as you can to that court, and there just people waiting to like I'm like, punt the brakes. And I don't like anything that's stressful, like everything to be easier to get into, Like I don't mind learning things, but I don't like it to be emotionally as stress like yes, so yeah, yeah, So I find this is like the healthy version of those things. So when people first join, is uncomfortable for maybe the first class, but there's usually an extroverted person in the room that's going to adopt you, like, oh, it's your first class. I mean the coaches are always it's your first class, like do you have any injuries? Like, okay, grab this, I'll help you get stuff. This is what it is that work. So like in that context, it's also populous, but it's also nice to have a friend in the class that's not just the coach. So people joined as singletons and they think that they never stuck to anything their entire life, and then before you know it, four years go by and they're like, this place helped me.
Speaker 3: Change my entire life, And I think too, I just I actually just got a tattoo that says yes and it streams from like a YouTube channel that I watch called Yes Theory, And it's just about stepping outside your comfort zone and just you know, just try just try things right, Like what's the worst.
Speaker 1: That can happen?
Speaker 3: And so just saying yes to things. And I think that's a big thing too. As to why, I was like, you know what, I'm just gonna get here and try it out, and so far, so good.
Speaker 1: Thing.
Speaker 2: I said, Yes, there we go.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, I think we're gonna end with that because that was fabulous. Thank you for joining on this so much for having me. This is funny again. If anyone is listening and this resonated with you, feel free to like, comment, share, subscribe to the podcast. If you're listening and you're like I would really like to be a guest on the episode, then please contact me. Christina Romita is my Instagram. You can also email me Christina with the Sea Christina at the Transformation Station dot C A please don't forget and the dot C Until next time.