Speaker 1: I want you to imagine just for a second that you are the lead architect of a multimillion dollar satellite.
Speaker 2: Now, oh wow, no pressure there, right right.
Speaker 1: I mean, you've spent years, maybe decades even planning this entire infrastructure. You've got these incredibly anxious investors breathing down your.
Speaker 3: Neck as they do exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you have entire sectors of global communications depending on your network. So you finally do it. You successfully launch hundreds of these hyper soshisticated pieces of hardware into lower.
Speaker 2: Orbit, a massive achievement, honestly huge.
Speaker 1: And to keep them safe, you know, to make sure they don't literally just fall out of the sky and burn up. You are relying on the absolute gold standard of space weather forecasts.
Speaker 2: The best data money can buy, exactly.
Speaker 1: The best astrochrist models that human civilization has to offer. And these agencies, with billions in funding, they look you in the eye and tell you that the environment up there.
Speaker 2: Is going to be quiet, basically telling you the sun is taking a nap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So you build your network for a calm environment, You optimize your fuel, you lower your orbits to reduce latency.
Speaker 2: You're feeling great, makes total sense based on the data, but.
Speaker 1: Then without warning, the upper atmosphere just suddenly boils up. What was supposed to be a near vacuum suddenly turns into this invisible, expanding wall of friction.
Speaker 2: It's like hitting a brick wall made of air.
Speaker 1: Yes, it grabs your satellites like they're driving into a swamp, and it just starts dragging them out of the.
Speaker 2: Sky, bowling them right down.
Speaker 1: And you just have to sit there and watch the telemetry on your screens as your life's work burns up in the atmosphere one by one.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a total nightmare.
Speaker 1: You'd think I'm pitching you the setup for a new sci fi disaster movie, right, But I'm not. That is not a hypothetical scenario. It actually happened recently.
Speaker 2: It did, and the implications of it are just absolutely staggering. I mean, it's the kind of event that forces a complete reckoning in a scientific.
Speaker 1: Field because they got it so wrong.
Speaker 2: Exactly when the physical reality of what is happening above our heads collides that violently with the supercomputer models we used to predict it. You can't just tweak a minor variable in an equation. You have to stop and ask if your entire fundamental understanding of the system is just well.
Speaker 1: Flawed, welcome to thrilling threads today. Our mission is to untangle a cosmic mystery that is right now actively threatening the modern interconnected way of life that you and I take for granted.
Speaker 2: We're looking directly at solar cycle twenty five, right.
Speaker 1: This is a current period of intense solar activity that didn't just surprise scientists, it fundamentally broke the predictive models of the world's top astrophysicists.
Speaker 2: It shattered them. Really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So if you're listening to this on a smartphone or using GPS to navigate your car, you are currently relying on a fragile chain of technology that was built under a.
Speaker 2: False premise, a very expensive false premise.
Speaker 1: Seriously, think about humanity's reliance on these solar forecasts. Like, it's as if we decide to build a massive, intricate sand castle right on the edge of the beach.
Speaker 2: Okay, I like this analogy, and.
Speaker 1: We felt totally safe doing it because we checked the official tide chart, and the chart guaranteed the water wouldn't come anywhere near us for years.
Speaker 2: So you build it as close to the water as you want, right, But.
Speaker 1: Then we realize, right as the water starts rushing in and dissolving the walls of our castle, that the ocean is playing by a completely different set of rules. We built our entire digital sand castle based on a fundamentally flawed understanding of the tide.
Speaker 2: That is the perfect analogy for the vulnerability we've created for ourselves, because, you know, to understand the very real danger that is hovering above us right now, we can't just look at today's satellite data. We actually have to travel back a few years.
Speaker 1: How far back?
Speaker 2: We need to go back to an April twenty nineteen meeting where the scientific establishment made what turn out to be a dangerously confident prediction. Oh well, okay, and we're going to untack exactly how that prediction was made and why it failed so spectacularly, looking at the poststorm impact analyses, the fundamental physics of the solar dynamo, and some very recent sobering reviews from the exact scientists who had to admit they were wrong.
Speaker 1: Right, okay, so let's set the scene. Take us into that room. If I am a fly on the wall in April twenty nineteen, who am I? Looking at and what exactly are they trying to do?
Speaker 2: You are looking at a gathering of the absolute heavyweights in space weather. I mean you have top tier solar physicists from NOAA, from NASA, and from the International Space Environment Services, best of the best exactly, and they sat down to do what this specific field has been doing formally since nineteen eighty nine. They were going to predict the behavior, the timing, and the maximum strength of the next solar cycle, which was solar cycle twenty five.
Speaker 1: And just to clarify for everyone listening, a solar cycle is this roughly eleven year period where the Sun goes from being relatively calm to violently active and back to calm.
Speaker 2: Against right, like a heartbeat. But how do they.
Speaker 1: Actually measure that? Like, if I'm looking at the Sun through a heavily tinted solar filter, what am I actually counting? To give me a number?
Speaker 2: You are counting sunspots. The consensus prediction they were trying to arrive at is what we call the smooth.
Speaker 3: Sunspot number of spots.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, And this goes all the way back to scientists like Galileo and later Rudolph Wolf in the eighteen hundreds. They realized that the number of dark blemishes the sun spots on the Sun's surface directly correlates with its overall violent activity.
Speaker 1: So what is a sun spot? Exactly?
Speaker 2: Physically, a sunspot is basically a massive magnetic storm on the surface of the Sun. So a low sunspot number means a quiet sun. A high number means a very active, potentially dangerous star that is hurling radiation and plasma into the solar system.
Speaker 1: So it's essentially a weighted thermometer for the Sun's temper exactly.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it.
Speaker 1: And these physicists in twenty nineteen, they didn't just throw darts at a board, right, I mean, they brought an immense amount of computational power to this meeting to try and read that thermometer years in advance.
Speaker 2: Oh, unprecedented computationational power. They pulled close to fifty independent forecasts from specialized research groups all over the.
Speaker 1: Globe fifty wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And they ran all of this historical data through highly complex dynamo simulations, statistical models, advanced machine learning systems, the works, and they used various precursor methods that had, to their credit, worked reasonably well over the past few cycles. They were looking at the Sun's polar magnetic fields, they were looking at plasma flows. They were crunching decades of telemetry.
Speaker 1: So they have all the dating in the world, right.
Speaker 2: They synthesized all of this vast disparate data to arrive at a single unified consensus number for the upcoming cycle twenty five.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the drum roll moment, with all the smartest minds and the most powerful computers in the world, what was the definitive number they landed on.
Speaker 2: The official consensus prediction was that cycle twenty five would peak at a smooth subspot number of exactly one hundred.
Speaker 3: And fifteen one hundred and fifteen yep, and.
Speaker 2: They predicted this peak would arrive sometime around July twenty twenty five. They included error bars naturally, allowing for a maximum somewhere between one hundred and five and an absolute upper bound of one twenty five.
Speaker 1: Okay, so one twenty five is the absolute highest they thought it could possibly go.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and the timing of the peak they said could hit anywhere from November twenty twenty four to March twenty twenty six, but one hundred and fifteen was the central target, a.
Speaker 1: Peak of one hundred and fifteen. Now, for context, historically speaking over the centuries we've been tracking, this is one hundred and fifteen a frightening number or reassuring number.
Speaker 2: It is incredibly reassuring. It's actually quite low. Oh really, Yeah, the long term historical average for a solar cycle peak is around one hundred and seventy nine.
Speaker 1: Okay, so one hundred and fifteen is well below.
Speaker 2: Outage, way below. What the panel was essentially saying was that cycle twenty five was going to be a near twin of the cycle that preceded it. Cycle twenty four was actually the weakest solar cycle in one hundred years. It peaked at a sunspot number of just one hundred and sixteen.
Speaker 1: Wait, let me make sure I'm following the logic here. The supercomputers looked at the data and concluded the last cycle was historically weak, therefore this next side will also be historically weak.
Speaker 2: In a nutshell, yes.
Speaker 1: It feels a bit like predicting the weather by just saying tomorrow will be exactly like yesterday. Was there deeper physics backing that up?
Speaker 2: There was? Yeah, and it was heavily supported by the literature at the time. There was a highly influential twenty eighteen paper published in Nature Communications by researchers Perniccobamic and Debien du Nandi, and their dynamo based prediction fed directly into the panel's consensus. Their incredibly complex models projected that cycle twenty five would indeed be very weak, peaking around twenty twenty four, give or take.
Speaker 1: A year, so they had the math to back up the assumption exactly.
Speaker 2: So the official unified forecast delivered to the world was basically expect a quiet cycle. The coast is clear. Keep launching your satellites.
Speaker 1: So we have all the agencies, all the supercomputers, all the peer reviewed papers pointing in the exact same direction. Don't worry. The sun has taken a nap. And that comforting picture. That sand castle we built on the beach, it actually stood for a little while, didn't it. The beginning of the cycle looked normal.
Speaker 2: It held up for about three years. The early stages of a solar cycle are notoriously slow and difficult to distinguish from one another, but by the time we crossed into twenty twenty one and early twenty twenty two, and the daily observations started accumulating. A creeping sense of unease started washing over the space weather community.
Speaker 1: The data wasn't matching the model.
Speaker 3: Not at all.
Speaker 2: It became clear that something was fundamentally off. The daily sunspot counts were consistently running ahead of where the official panel said they should be. It wasn't a sudden explosion. It was this incredibly consistent, stubborn upward trend.
Speaker 1: It's like tracking a hurricane on a radar that is just slightly off its predicted path, but instead of correcting back to the line, it just keeps drifting further and further away, growing larger than the model said was thermodynamically possible.
Speaker 2: That's a really great way to visualize it. And by January twenty twenty three, the data was openly defying the models. It wasn't just a minor statistical anomaly anymore.
Speaker 3: It was trend, a huge one.
Speaker 2: The daily sunspot counts for cycle twenty five had already overtaken cycle twenty four at the equivalent point in its progression by roughly twelve percent.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Sun was actively producing more spots, more complex magnetic regions, more massive flares than the consensus had penciled in, and scientists were sitting in their offices watching the reality curve completely divorce itself from their prediction curve in real time.
Speaker 1: And it didn't just divorce itself, it shattered the ceiling completely because fast forward to August twenty twenty four, the thirteen month smooth sunspot number didn't just hit that predicted one fifteen. It hit one fifty six point seven.
Speaker 2: Yes, and we really need to pause and recognize the magnitude of that miss. That figure didn't just miss the bullseye. It didn't even land on the dartboard. It was off the charts, completely outside the maximum uncertainty range of the original forecast. Remember, their absolute worst case upper bound was one hundred and twenty five. One hundred and fifty six point seven obliterates that. And not only was the cycle vastly stronger, but the peak itself arrived almost a full year ahead of schedule.
Speaker 1: So they were fundamentally wrong on the amplitude and they were fundamentally wrong on the timing.
Speaker 2: Essentially. Yes, Mark Meisch, the solar cycle lead at the SWPC, came out and issued a revised experimental forecast effectively walking back the twenty nineteen panel prediction publicly.
Speaker 1: Ouch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had to be unusually blunt. He told the people who rely on these forecasts to plan their multi billion dollar operations for years ahead. The grid managers, the satellite operators, the global airlines. He told them the twenty nineteen forecast was officially no longer reliable. The new reality called for a much quicker rise to a significantly higher peak.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's where I have to step in and push back on behalf of everyone listening, because I'm putting myself in the shoes of a logistics manager or a satellite engineer.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: We have the most advanced supercomputers on the planet. We have generations of astrophysics data. We have machine learning algorithms that can be grand masters at chess. How on Earth you miss a target by forty percent? Is our data just terrible or is the actual math governing the Sun fundamentally broken?
Speaker 2: That is the exact agonizing question that the entire field of solar physics was forced to ask themselves in the wake of this failure. Everyone knew the models had failed. I mean, the data was undeniable, right, The terrifying question was why. For forty years, the prevailing belief, the paradigm of the entire field, was that the solar dynamo, the internal engine of the Sun, was something you could, in principle model completely.
Speaker 1: Which is a math problem to solve exactly.
Speaker 2: The assumption was simply a matter of scale. If you just got better data, higher resolution telescopes, and faster computers, you could eventually predict cycle by cycle with perfect accuracy.
Speaker 1: But they couldn't.
Speaker 2: No, no, missing a target by forty percent after throwing everything you have at it forces you to ask if that kind of prediction is even physically possible, and to answer your question about whether the math is broken. We can't just look at the sun spots on the surface. We have to crack open the Sun itself. We have to look at its internal engine.
Speaker 1: Let's do it. Take us under the hood, what is actually driving this machine?
Speaker 2: To understand the engine, we have to look underneath the visible surface of the Sun into a region that makes up roughly the outer thirty percent of the star.
Speaker 1: Okay, the outer thirty percent, right.
Speaker 2: This is the convection zone. It is an incredibly violent churning layer of hot ionized gas or plasma. You have vast currents of this material constantly boiling up from the interior and sinking back down. Now, the Sun spins on its axis, just like the Earth does. But here is the critical difference that drives the entire system. The Sun does not spin as a solid.
Speaker 1: Object, right, because it's not a rigid billiard ball. It's a massive fluid ball of gas and plasma.
Speaker 2: Precisely because it's fluid, the equator of the Sun actually rotates significantly faster than the poles do.
Speaker 1: Wait, really, the middle spins faster than the top.
Speaker 2: Yes, it takes the equator about twenty five days to complete one rotation, but it takes the poles more than thirty four days.
Speaker 1: That's a huge difference.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: Furthermore, the deep interior of the Sun rotates at a completely different, more uniform speed than the exterior convection zone. This massive disparity in speeds is called differential rotation.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you have different latitudes and different depths of the Sun, all spinning at different speeds, constantly slipping and grinding past each other.
Speaker 2: Yes, and the friction from that slipping is what generates the danger. Because this plasma isn't just normal gas, it is highly magnetized. This shearing motion literally grabs the magnetic field lines inside the star and drags.
Speaker 1: Them like physical strings being pulled.
Speaker 2: Exactly at the start of a quiet period, the magnetic field starts off in a relatively simple north south alignment, pointing from pole to pole, much like Earth's magnetic field. Physicists call this the poloidal field. The boidal got it, But that differential rotation, that constant unequal shearing takes those neat north south lines and begins to stretch them, wrap them, amplify them, and twist them into dense east west loops that wrap tightly around the Sun's equator. This twisted, compressed east west field is called the toroidal field.
Speaker 1: I love this analogy from some of the foundational research. It's like taking a giant spinning ball and wrapping massive rubber bands around it from pole to pole. Ye, But because the middle of the ball is spinning faster than the top and bottom, the rubber bands get dragged sideways. You keep spinning the ball, and the rubber bands get tighter and tighter and more twisted upon themselves, until the tension is so immense that eventually they have to snap outward.
Speaker 2: That is exactly what happens. And when those incredibly tense magnetic rubber bands snap, they don't just disappear. They push violently outward through the surface of the Sun. Those twisted loops of concentrated magnetic energy rising through the photosphere. That is what a sunspot actually is.
Speaker 1: Mind blowing.
Speaker 2: They aren't just random dark blotches on a telescope lens. They are the visible physical signatures of massive magnetic flux tubes breaking through the surface. And crucially, because they are loops of a continuous field breaking the surface and returning back down, they tend to appear in tilted pairs, with a leading spot and a following spot of opposite magnetic polarity.
Speaker 1: So a sunspot is literally the Sun's internal magnetic rubber band snapping under immense tension and bursting out into space. That is terrifying and totally awesome to visualize. But how does that mechanism lead to a predictive model. If things are just snapping randomly, where does the pattern come from? Where does the positive feedback loop that scientists tried to track come in?
Speaker 2: This brings us to a massive theoretical breakthrough from the nineteen sixties, discovered by physicists Horace Babcock and Robert Lieton.
Speaker 1: Okay, what did they find?
Speaker 2: They finally figured out how the solar cycle regenerates itself, how the machine resets. When those tilted sunspot pairs eventually decay and fade away, they do so asymmetrically. That asymmetry leaves behind a small residual magnetic field on the surface, like.
Speaker 1: Leaving a footprint behind in the mud. After the storm.
Speaker 2: Passes exactly and over the course of an eleven year cycle across thousands and thousands of sunspot groups emerging and decaying, those residual magnetic footprints begin to add up. But they don't stay at the equator. Inside the sun, there are very slow moving deep plasma flows called the meridunal circulation. Think of it like a giant planetary scale conveyor belt.
Speaker 1: A conveyor belt.
Speaker 2: Yes, this conveyor belt slowly carries those leftover magnetic footprints from the equator all the way back up toward the poles, and as they accumulate at the poles over years, they actually cancel out the old polar field and build up the new poloidal field. The north south field, which.
Speaker 1: If I'm following the physics, becomes the fresh north south rubber band, the seed for the next cycle to start twisting all over again.
Speaker 2: Yes, you've got it. This entire mechanism is known as the Babcock Laton process. It is a massive positive feedback loop with a built in delay. Each cycle literally plants the magnetic.
Speaker 3: Seed for the next Oh, that's fascinating.
Speaker 2: And the lag time, the years it takes between the sowing of that seed at the poles and the harvest of the next cycle sunspots, is what gave forecasters their hope. It gave them a seemingly reliable precursor. The logic they built their supercomputer models on was simple. If you measure the polar magnetic field at the very end of a cycle, and that field is weak, then the seed for the next cycle is weak. Therefore the next cycle must be weak.
Speaker 1: And the polar field at the end of cycle twenty four, right before cycle twenty five began, was.
Speaker 2: Weak, It was historically weak. That single overarching observation is what drove almost all of the twenty nineteen panel's confidence in forecasting a quiet cycle twenty five. The seed was small, so the tree had to be small, but.
Speaker 1: Then cycle twenty five ran forty percent stronger. So if the seed was weak, how did the plant grow so massive. If the Babcock Layton theory is right, a weak seed shouldn't be able to produce a monster cycle. Is the theory wrong.
Speaker 2: The theory isn't completely wrong, but it is missing something massive which the intrinsic inescapable noise of the system. To understand this, we have to look at the findings from Pargov Karak's twenty twenty six review on the solar dynamo and Mark Mische's twenty twenty five review in the journal Space Weather. What the field of astrophysics is now reluctantly painfully accepting is that the solar dynamo has chaos, pure unmeasurable stochastic noise build right into its very foundation.
Speaker 1: What kind of noise we're talking about, like, what specific variables are they missing that are throwing the models off by forty percent.
Speaker 2: It's the micro details that cascade into macro effects. For instance, the tilt angles of individual sunspot pairs, the footplents you mentioned exactly. The Babcock latent process assumes an average tilt, but in reality that tilt varies wildly from group to group as they bubble up through the turbulent plasma. The exact latitude where a specific flux tube decides to emerge matters immensely to how its residual field is carried away.
Speaker 1: Because it hits the conveyor belt at a different.
Speaker 2: Spot precisely, and that giant conveyor belt the meridional circulation carrying the plasma to the poles. It isn't a constant smooth machine. Carrick's review points out that these deep plasma flows drift, they speed up, they slow down, they dip into deeper convection zones where our instruments absolutely cannot see them, and then they surface again, completely altering the timing and strength of the magnetic transport.
Speaker 1: So if I'm trying to predict this, I'm trying to calculate the exact output of an engine where the gels are constantly changing size, changing speed, and physically moving around inside the casing while the machine is running a full throttle.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's an impossible math problem, and Mark Misha's twenty twenty five review takes it a step further to a deeply unsettling conclusion for anyone who likes certainty. He argues that this noise isn't just a missing variable that we can eventually measure if we just build a better satellite or a faster computer.
Speaker 1: It's permanent.
Speaker 2: The intrinsic randomness, the fluid turbulence, and the stochastic scatter, and how these flux tubes interact sets a permanent physical ceiling on prediction accuracy. His estimate, based on analyzing forty five years of continuous data, is that there is a permanent ten to twenty percent aerfloor built into solar forecasting. You cannot get past it, ever, because that ara floor is just the Sun being the Sun.
Speaker 1: Wow, So to synthesize this chaos for everyone listening, what the experts are finally admitting is that the Sun operates less like a predictable clock and much more like a hurricane season on Earth. We know fundamentally that we are going to get storms in August and September, but trying to pinpoint exactly when a specific hurricane will form and exactly what category will be three years in advance is basically impossible because of the sheer internal noise of the atmosphere.
Speaker 2: Perfect analogy.
Speaker 1: The underlying physics of the Sun is deterministic short, but the chaotic nonlinear couplings just completely outrun the initial memory of the system.
Speaker 2: That is, the exact paradigm shift much concluded was necessary. It's like trying to predict the exact swirl of cream and a cup of coffee. It's fluid mixing. Past a certain time horizon, the forecast just stop being mathematically meaningful. The Sun forgets its own history too quickly.
Speaker 1: Okay, But here's where this story gets absolutely fascinating, because while the official agencies with all the funding, were hitting this wall of intrinsic solo noise and essentially throwing their hands up, there was a small group of rogue scientists who are looking at a completely different set of signals.
Speaker 2: Oh this is my favorite part.
Speaker 1: And they nailed the cycle twenty five forecast almost perfectly.
Speaker 2: They did. While the official forecasters were learning their limits the hard way, these outliers were quietly building a completely different paradigm. We're talking specifically about Scott McIntosh, who was the deputy director of the National Center for Atmospheric Research for two decades, and Robert Lehman, a brilliant research scientist working with NASA.
Speaker 1: So what were they doing differently? If everyone else is staring at the polar magnetic field and the big sun spots, what were Macintosh and Leman looking at To get it right?
Speaker 2: They completely ignored the polar field. They threw it out, just tossed it Yep. They weren't using the standard dynamo simulations that the twenty nineteen panel relied on. Instead, they were quietly cataloging something in the Sun's extreme ultraviolet imagery that most of their colleagues had completely dismissed as unimportant background noise. They were tracking what they called bright points.
Speaker 1: Bright points. What exactly are those? Are they just tiny sunspots?
Speaker 2: No, they are fundamentally different. They are exactly what they sound like, small intensely glowing patches of extreme ultraviolet light that flare up briefly in the corona, the Sun's outer atmosphere. They might last for a few hours or maybe a few days, and then they vanish.
Speaker 1: So they're insignificant on their own.
Speaker 2: Individually, they are not impressive at all. They don't cause geomagnetic storms. There are millions of them scattered like little bright sparks across the surface during a given solar cycle.
Speaker 1: Okay, but why focus on the tiny, harmless sparks when the rest of the scientific community is correctly looking at the massive fires the sunspots that actually cause the damage.
Speaker 2: Because Macintosh and Lemon noticed something profound in the data. When you zoom out and look at the entire population of bright points together over decades, they do not behave randomly. They form incredibly distinct organized patterns like what Clusters of these bright points emerge amid latitudes early in a cycle, and then over the next two decades they marched steadily, inevitably toward the Sun's equator.
Speaker 1: It sounds almost like they are floating on a current, as if they're being carried by something massive underneath the surface.
Speaker 2: That was their exact hypothesis. The team argued that these bright points were simply the visible traces the exhaust fumes of massive bands of magnetic fields moving deep within the convection zone, and they noticed that these underlying magnetic bands drift from the poles to the equator on our roughly twenty two year clock, not an eleven year clock.
Speaker 1: Wait twenty two years. We always hear about the eleven year solar cycle. Where does twenty two years.
Speaker 2: Come from This brings us to a foundational concept known as the Hail cycle, discovered way back in nineteen oh eight by the astronomer George ellery Hale. He was the first person to realize that sunspots contained powerful magnetic fields, and he discovered that the magnetic polarities of sunspots actually flip from one eleven year.
Speaker 3: Cycle to the next, a magnetic flip.
Speaker 2: Right, So if the leading sunspots in the northern hemisphere are positively charged in cycle twenty four, they will be negatively charged in cycle twenty five. Therefore, it actually takes two full eleven year cycles, two complete magnetic flicks, to make one complete returning magnetic period.
Speaker 1: So eleven times two is twenty two exactly.
Speaker 2: Macintosh and Leemann propose that each eleven year sunspot cycle that we see is really just half of this longer, much more fundamental, twenty two year magnetic cycle playing out beneath the surface, and.
Speaker 1: The timeline there is critical. If a band takes twenty two years to march to the equator, but a sunspot cycle only lasts eleven years, that means they must overlap at any given time. There isn't just one cycle happening inside the Sun.
Speaker 2: That is the crucial paradigm shifting inside of their work. The magnetic bands from the previous cycle are still active and moving under beneath the surface at the exact same time that the bands for the current cycle are forming and moving. You have two sets of massive magnetic bands interacting deep beneath the surface of the star.
Speaker 1: Two active cycles at once.
Speaker 2: Yes, sometimes they reinforce each other, and sometimes they interfere with each other, constantly dampening the Sun's ability to produce sunspots.
Speaker 1: It's exactly like ocean waves overlapping. If the peaks of two waves align, you get a massive rogue wave. But if the peak of one wave meets the trough of another, they cancel each other out entirely and the water stays flat.
Speaker 2: That is a brilliant way to visualize magnetic interference, and this brings us to the dramatic climax of their theory. Every couple of decades, something spectacular happens. The old interfering magnetic bands from the northern and southern hemispheres, carrying opposite magnetic polarities finally meet at the Sun's equator. And when opposite magnetic fields meet, they don't just bounce off each other, they annihilate each other in a massive flash.
Speaker 1: And Macintosh and Lehman called this moment the terminator event.
Speaker 2: Yes, the terminator. When those old bands annihilate each other at the equator, all the bright points connected to that old cycle vanish entirely, sometimes within a matter of weeks. The terminator event is the exact moment the old magnetic cycle truly dies. And because that old interfering cycle is suddenly gone, the new cycle is released from its magnetic chains. It can finally explode into action without any magnetic interference holding it back.
Speaker 1: That is such a vivid, almost cinematic picture of astrophysics. Two slow motion magnetic ropes wrapping around a start drifting toward each other for twenty years, and then they finally touch the equator and just vanish, releasing a tidal wave of new energy. So when did the last terminator event happen?
Speaker 2: The most recent terminator event happen in December twenty twenty one. Macintosh and Lemon had been obsessively watching the bright points tracking their march to the equator, and they knew it was coming and when it finally arrived in December twenty twenty one. They use the exact spacing the precise amount of time between that terminator event and the previous one as their main mathematical input to make a rival prediction for cycle twenty five.
Speaker 1: And what was their number? Remember the official supercomputer panel said one fifteen? What did the terminator model say?
Speaker 2: Using the terminator method, they predicted that cycle twenty five would peak at a massive sunspot number close to one eighty four, and they said it would arrive early sometime around early twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, so let's put those numbers side by side so the listener can really feel the gap. Here, the official twenty nineteen consensus panel, using all the billion dollars supercomputers fifty models in polar field data, predicted a weak peak of one hundred and fifteen in mid twenty twenty five. Macintosh and Lehman, two guys using the rogue terminator method and tracking bright points, predicted a massive one eighty four in early twenty twenty four, and reality delivered a peak of one hundred and fifty six point seven in August twenty twenty four. They were incredibly close They completely left the twenty nineteen panel in the dust. They caught the early timing, and they caught the massive amplitude trend.
Speaker 2: They really did. It was a stunning vindication of the robservational method and a massive shop to the traditional model in community.
Speaker 1: Okay, but hold on. Here is where I have to play the skeptic, because this is almost too neat. A couple of rogue scientists looking at bright spots beat the billion dollar supercomputers. That sounds like a Hollywood script, which usually means it's too good to be true. Did they just get mathematically lucky? I mean, why hasn't NOAA completely adopted this terminator model if it works so well. Is the scientific establishment just being stubborn and protective of their old models, or is there a genuine hard science flaw in relying on these bright points.
Speaker 2: It's an excellent question, and it's a bit of both. Honestly, it is a massive paradigm clash in astrophysics right now. The twenty nineteen panel forecasters didn't just concede, defeat, throw out their life's work and adopt the terminator model. Debiando Nandi, the astrophysicist whose dynamo work fed heavily into that failed twenty nineteen prediction. Has been highly publicly skeptical of the terminator theory, so he's pushing back hard. He simply does not accept the underlying physics of it. He argues that the timing between these terminator events cannot mathematically causally predict the strength of the next cycle.
Speaker 1: So he thinks they just got lucky with the data points they chose.
Speaker 2: Essentially, yes, he argues it's an empirical correlation, not a physical causation, though he does concede importantly that the bright points are signaling something real about the underlying magnetic field that the standard Babcock Late and models are entirely missing.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's a piece of the puzzle.
Speaker 2: Right, But NAA has not folded the terminator method into operational forecasting. They are incredibly hesitant to base global infrastructure warnings on a model that lacks a fully fleshed out interior mathematical dynamo simulation to back it up. When asked about it, Macintosh basically said he expects the agencies to just stubbornly stick to their existing approaches because it's what they know.
Speaker 1: But the implications of this debate are wild. If the official models are looking at the polar field on the surface and the terminator method is looking at overlapping bands of magnetic cycles deep beneath the surface, does that mean the Sun is literally doing two completely different things at the same time.
Speaker 2: That is the exact mind bending conclusion that the field is moving toward the Sun may be operating on multiple interacting layers, And for forty years we have only been watching the top layer. Our picture of the Sun has been fundamentally incomplete. We've been trying to predict the ocean's currents by only looking at the foam on the waves.
Speaker 1: So we have this massive debate over which mathematical model is right. But let's bring this back down to earth. Why does this debate actually matter to you and me? Why should the average person care about bright points and magnetic bands? Well, because this isn't just an academic astrophysics debate happening in a university hallway. When the official forecast fails, the modern technological infrastructure we literally rely on to run our society falls out of the sky.
Speaker 2: It is not an exaggeration. The gap between what the scientists can safely predict and What the chaotic Sun is actually doing is incredibly dangerous, and the severe it can and structural consequences of getting it wrong have already started arriving.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the invisible threat to lower th orbit. Bring us to April twenty five, twenty twenty four, because this crisis didn't start with a massive cinematic explosion that started really quietly.
Speaker 2: Didn't it very quietly? It was an ordinary week in space operations. Around April twenty five, telemetry data showed that twelve Starlink satellites and lower th orbit suddenly started losing altitude. They were dropping faster than their orbital mechanics and standard drag calculations said they should be.
Speaker 1: Were there flares happening.
Speaker 2: No. At the time, there was no major headline grabbing geomagnetic storm in progress. The Sun was throwing off some moderate flares, but nothing out of the ordinary for an active cycle. But the upper atmosphere was already secretly responding to the increased ultraviolet output of the cycle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I need to stop you here because I think a lot of people have the same misconception I did. Space is a vacuum, right, There is no air, So if the Sun releases a solar flare. How does that physically cause a satellite to fall. It's not like the light can push a five hundred pounds satellite out of orbit. Yeah, the only way that makes sense is if the Earth's atmosphere is actually expanding upward into space to grab it. Is that what's happening.
Speaker 2: That is exactly what is happening, and the mechanism is fascinating. Space is a vacuum, yes, but low Earth orbit, where Starlink and many other constellations operate, is not a perfect vacuum. There is a very very thin, highly tenuous layer of gas there called.
Speaker 1: The thermae thermosphere. Okay.
Speaker 2: When the Sun emits elevated extreme ultraviolet radiation, or when the edge of a geomagnetic storm hits our magnetic field, massive electrical currents are induced and flow down into the upper atmosphere. This dumps a staggering amount of electrical energy into the sparse oxygen and nitrogen molecules up there. This process is called jewel heating.
Speaker 1: Jewel heating, Okay, So we are dumping electricity into gas, okay, like a toaster wire heating.
Speaker 2: Up exactly the electrical resistance of the gas causes it to heat up rapidly, and basic thermodynamics tells us that when you heat agains, it expands. The entire thermosphere begins to expand outward, inflating like a giant balloon over a hot stove.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: It pushes denser air from lower down up to much higher altitudes. So a Starling satellite that is gliding along effortlessly at seventeen thousand miles an hour through what it thinks is a near vacuum suddenly unexpectedly hits a wall of much thicker, denser gas. Drag, which was previously negligible, suddenly becomes a massive physical force that the satellite has to fight against or else it loses velocity and falls.
Speaker 1: And these twelve Starling satellites were feeling that exact drag in April. There's this one specific example from the tracking data that highlights how fast this happens, Starling twenty six oh one.
Speaker 2: Yes, according to vital tracking work led by researcher Denny olivera Starling twenty six oh one fell from a safe altitude of two hundred and seventy six kilometers down to a completely doomed altitude of just one hundred kilometers in under two days.
Speaker 1: In two days, its.
Speaker 2: Fiery re entry into the atmosphere happened eleven days earlier than the operator operational models had predicted eleven days.
Speaker 1: If you were a satellite operator, eleven days is an absolute eternity. You need pinpoint precision to plan collision avoidance maneuvers with other satellites and to schedule controlled the orbits so de breed doesn't hit populated areas. If you lose eleven days of forecasting because the sun breathed on the atmosphere, you are essentially flying blind at hypersonic speeds. And the crazy thing is this wasn't an isolated incident, right We actually had a massive warning about this specific vulnerability back in twenty twenty two that we mostly ignored.
Speaker 2: We did. We had a very expensive dress rehearsal. In February twenty twenty two, SpaceX launched a batch of forty nine Starlink satellites. They launched them during what forecasters thought was a relatively minor moderate geomagnetic storm and a moderate storm right now. Because Starlink uses a deliberately low staging altitude. The idea is that if a satellite is a dut upon deployment, it burns up quickly rather than becoming dangerous space drunk for decades. They are incredibly acutely vulnerable to any in thermospheric expansion. Because of that moderate storm, the jewel heating was so intense and the atmospheric drag increased so sharply that thirty eight of those forty nine brand new satellites never reached their final orbit. Oh my god, the thrusters couldn't overcome the friction. They were dragged backward into the denser atmosphere and burned up in a streak of fire.
Speaker 1: Research by space weather expert Thomas Berger documented the entire fiasco. It was a fifty million dollar hardware loss in a single event caused by a moderate storm, and the overarching scale of this atmospheric drag is staggering. The sources note that between twenty twenty and twenty twenty four and nearly twelve hundred satellites re entered from very low Earth orbit, and nearly half of them were starlinks. The orbital infrastructure we are building is acutely physically vulnerable to the Sun, and that was all before the real monster arrived. The April orbital decay was just the appetizer exactly.
Speaker 2: The April twenty twenty four drag was just the thermosphere warming up its muscles. Two weeks later, the main event hit the planet May eighth, twenty twenty four. The Gannon Storm, yes highly complex magnetically tangled sun spot region designated by NAA as Region one three sixty sixty four, rotated into view across the face of the Sun. It looked like a bruised, angry nod of magnetic tension, and it began firing off massive X class flares and rapid succession. Within just nine days, the sunspat region grew so aggressively that it covered fourteen times the surface area of the Earth.
Speaker 1: Fourteen times the Earth unbelievable.
Speaker 2: It was an absolute monster, and it didn't just flashlight at us. It launched several massive coronal mass ejections or CMEs, directly at Earth.
Speaker 1: A CME is when the Sun literally vomits a billion tons of plasma and embedded magnetic field out into the Solar system right and these specific CMEs, they didn't just follow each other nicely in a line, they merged.
Speaker 2: This is a terrifying phenomenon in space weather called a cannibal CME.
Speaker 1: Cannibal CME.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when the Sun fires off a slow CME and then a day later fires off a much faster one behind it. The faster one catches up through the physics of magnetic reconnection, where the magnetic fields of the two a few plasmic clouds crash into each other and reconfigure. The faster CME literally swallows the slower one up. They merge into a single monstrous wave of dense plasma and compressed magnetic field. The combined force of this cannibal cloud hits Earth significantly harder than any individual eruption would. This specific cannibal CME from Region one three six sixty four slammed into Earth's magnetosphere at well over one thousand kilometers per second.
Speaker 1: Over one thousand kilometers a second. Just trying to fathom that speed is dizzying. And the result of that impact was a G five storm.
Speaker 2: A G five that is the absolute highest rung on the geomagnetic storm scale. It was the first event of that extreme severity to hit Earth since the infamous Halloween storms of October two thousand and three. The scientific community unofficially named it the Gannon Storm, honoring Jennifer Lee Gannon, a brilliant space weather physicist who had tragically passed away just days earlier.
Speaker 1: What a beautiful and haunting tribute to her work. And visually, for those of us on the ground, this storm was undeniable, well, I mean paid the picture for us. This wasn't just a squiggly line reading on a dial in the laboratory.
Speaker 2: The visual payoff of that energy dumping into our atmosphere was extraordinary. Auroras were visible in places where they hadn't been seen for generations, in some cases since the eighteen fifty nine Carrington event. They lit up the night sky over central Mexico. They were seen in Florida, South Africa, Southern Italy, Spain, Japan. People stepping out onto their porches in Florida were watching the northern horizon turn a deep blood red. It became one of the most extensively documented auroral events in human history, purely because suddenly billions of citizen scientists had high definition smartphone cameras in their pockets, capturing the sky on fire.
Speaker 1: But the breathtaking beauty in the sky completely masked the chaos that was unfolding on the ground. Because this storm didn't just affect low Earth orbit or make pretty lights, It physically slammed into our terrestrial infrastructure. Let's look at agriculture. What exactly happened to the American Midwest.
Speaker 2: This is a prime example of how deeply interconnected and fragile our modern technology really is. Modern agriculture isn't just a farmer with a plow anymore. It relies heavily on precision GPS to guide massive tractors for planting seeds with centimeter level accuracy to maximize yield. But during a severe geomagnetic storm, the ionosphere, the charged layer of our upper atmosphere, becomes severely disturbed. It becomes turbulent. It acts like a funhouse mirror for the radio frequencies coming down from the GPS satellites, refracting and smearing the timing of the signals. This is known as ionospheric scintillation.
Speaker 1: And GPS relies entirely on nanosecond precision. Right. It calculates your position by measuring exactly how long a radio wave takes to reach.
Speaker 2: You from space, exactly if the ionosphere bends that radio wave or delays it by even a fraction of a microsecond, the math breaks down entirely. During the gannonstorm, GPS guide detractors planting corn and soybeans in the Midwest suddenly began veering wildly off course. The navigation systems were utterly confused. A fascinating twenty twenty five step by researcher Yudin Yang tracked global outages of fifteen to twenty hours in precise positioning solutions. Twenty hours without GPS, farmers were forced to completely abandon their fields in the middle of an already weather delayed planting season because their tractors literally didn't know where they were. Russian stations in North America lost positioning data for fifteen hours, stations in Australia lost it for twenty hours. Global agriculture just ground to a halt.
Speaker 1: So we understand the sky's expanding and the ionosphere is grambling radio signals, But what about the physical grid on the ground. How does a magnetic disturbance in space physically reach down and break a piece of heavy metal on the ground in New Zealand.
Speaker 2: That is the most dangerous part of a G five storm. The massive fluctuating magnetic disturbance in the atmosphere induces enormous electrical currents in the physical ground beneath our feet. These are called geomagnetically induced currents or GICs. Now, the earth itself has resistance, so these massive ground currents seek out the path of lease resistance to travel, which happens to be our long continuous high voltage.
Speaker 3: Transmission line power grid.
Speaker 2: Right at the Halfway Bush substation near Dunad in New Zealand, these rogue direct currents flooded up from the ground and into the alternating current grid. They pushed the massive iron cores of the high voltage transformers into a state that electrical engineers call half cycle saturation.
Speaker 1: Half cycle saturation. Yeah, that sounds like engine failure on a starship. Help me visualize this. Imagine the power grid is a giant water pumping system moving water back and forth. What does half cycle saturation actually due to the pump? Is it like the water violently slashing backward instead of flowing smoothly.
Speaker 2: That's a fantastic analogy. A transformer relies on smooth alternating magnetic flups to transfer alternating current the water smoothly slashing back and forth. But when this massive direct current from the spacetorm floods in it acts like a physical block, pushing the pump entirely to one side. The iron core literally cannot hold any more magnetic flux in that direction it is saturated, So for half of the alternating cycle, the transformer stops behaving like a clean, efficient pump. Instead, the water violently slams into a wall. The transformer starts drawing massive amounts of what's called reactive power from the grid, creating huge thermal spikes, literally melting the internal insulation and sending chaotic harmonic distortions or pressure waves rippling back through the network.
Speaker 1: So the transformer is basically choking, velting and sending shockwaves through the rest of the grid precisely.
Speaker 2: Mark Cloverd and his team measured this specific incident in New Zealand, and their conclusions were chilling. They found that if an event on the scale of the eighteen fifty nine Carrington event hit today, New Zealand would instantly need hundreds of additional megavolt ampers of generation just to feed that reactive power demand and keep the grid from collapsing entirely in a cascade failure. And New Zealand wasn't alone high voltage lines tripped offline in the US to protect themselves, and power grids in Uruguay, which happen to sit under a particularly weak point in Earth's magnetic shield known as the South Atlantic Anomaly, were found to be severely vulnerable.
Speaker 1: We built our entire modern glasshouse, the mega constellations of low Earth orbit satellites, the precision GPS farming that feeds the world, the global smartphone supply chains that rely on centimeter accurate timing. We built all of this intricate, delicate infrastructure during a historical periods when the sun wasn't throwing heavy stones.
Speaker 2: We got complacent.
Speaker 1: The twenty nineteen official forecast essentially gave us the green light. It told us we were safe to keep building our glasshouse. But now the rocks are flying.
Speaker 2: And this is the most critical point to understand about the vulnerability of our era. The gannonstorm wasn't historically extreme if you look at the grand timeline of the last two hundred years. It was serious, yes, but not unprecedented. What made it so incredibly disruptive and costly was that it hit a technological infrastructure that is vastly more exposed, dense, and fragile than it was even twenty one years ago during the two thousand ti three Halloween storms.
Speaker 1: Right, the world is different now.
Speaker 2: In two thousand and three, we didn't have six thousand starling satellites relying on the sermosphere. We didn't have AI driven agriculture relying on GPS. The target on our back is exponentially larger now.
Speaker 1: And if you were listening to this thinking wow, the Gannon storm in May twenty twenty four was a crazy, once in a lifetime grand finale to Cycle twenty five, you need to seriously brace yourself because the very latest data says we have just entered the absolute most dangerous phase of the cycle.
Speaker 2: That's right, the hurricane season is not over. It is peaking. In a May twenty twenty six update, and oaa's Mark Meiche confirmed that while cycle twenty five likely reached its absolute sun spot peak in late twenty twenty four, the active phase, the agonizing stretch where major planet rattling CMEs are most likely to erupt, is dragging on far far longer than the twenty nineteen predictions ever assumed. The Sun is still firmly in its violent hurricane season, and.
Speaker 1: We have the receipts through it. The Sun didn go back to sleep. Let's talk about November eleven, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Yes, Active Region forty two seventy four erupted with an X five point one flare. It was the most powerful flare of that entire year, triggering severe geomagnetic watch notices globally. Once again, aroars were pushed incredibly far south down into Texas and Mexico. The radio blackouts were intense. It was the strongest most disruptive event Sincecannon.
Speaker 1: And then just two months later January twenty twenty six, this is the event that sounds like it completely broke the textbooks for observers.
Speaker 2: It truly did. The Sun launched a coronal mass ejection that crossed the one hundred and fifty million kilometers between the Sun and the Earth in just twenty five hours.
Speaker 1: Twenty five hours, I need context for that. Normally, when a CM erupts, that transit across base takes what two or three.
Speaker 2: Full days exactly, a standard CME takes about forty eight to seventy two hours to reach Earth. To cross that immense distance in just twenty five hours means the massive plasma was moving at an absolutely terrifying speed, driven by an eruption of unimaginable force, and when it finally hit the Earth's magnetic field, it produced something that most modern space weather researchers had never personally witnessed, bizarre violently pulsing green proton auroras.
Speaker 1: Okay, why green proton aurors? Tell me the physics there? Because normally auroras are caused by electrons, right, what is the difference?
Speaker 2: Standard auroras are indeed caused when electrons from the solar wind ride our magnetic field lines down into the atmosphere and collide with oxygen atoms, making them glow. But a CME moving this fast, carrying this much energy actually accelerates heavy protons the nuclei of hydrogen atoms to immense speeds.
Speaker 1: Protons are much heavier.
Speaker 2: When these heavy charged protons slam into the atmosphere, they penetrate much deeper than electrons can. They collide with different concentrations of oxygen atoms at lower altitudes, exciting them in a very specific way that emits a stark textbook defying green wavelength. The textbooks have barely begun to describe the complex plasma physics of these specific pulsing proton auroral patterns. It was completely unprecedented. For the visual observers on the ground, It was like the sky was glitching.
Speaker 1: Okay, so why is this happening now? This is the million dollar question. If the actual sunspot peak was all the way back in twenty twenty four, why are we getting these massive, anomalist record breaking storms in twenty twenty five and twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: We have to bring Robert Lehman back into the story here. Remember he was one of the rogue scientists looking at the twenty two year Hail magnetic cycle. He points out a fascinating, terrifying pattern in the historical data regarding odd numbered cycles exactly like our current cycle twenty five.
Speaker 1: What happens during an odd cycle that makes it different from an even cycle like twenty four.
Speaker 2: It comes back to the magnetic flip. After the Sun's magnetic field flips at the peak of the cycle, the new dominant polarity of the solar wind in an odd numbered cycle aligns perfectly with Earth's own magnetic field.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, So it's like lining up two bar magnets where the north and south poles attract locking together instead of repelling each other.
Speaker 2: Precisely, Earth's magnetic field points north during the declining phase of an odd cycle, the Sun's interplanetary magnetic field often points south. When a southbound solar field hits our northbound field, they magnetically link up. Because the polarities attract and a ligne, the solar wind couples far far more efficiently with our magnetosphere. It basically opens a literal door in our magnetic shield. The energy transfer is much stronger, meaning the CMEs that do hit us dump vastly more energy into our atmosphere.
Speaker 1: And Lemon calls this specific phase the battle zone.
Speaker 2: Yes, he argues, using decades of hail cycle data that for odd cycles, the absolute biggest, most devastating geomagnetic storms don't actually happen during the maximum sunspot peak. They happen after the peak, during this dangerous period of magnetic polarity alignment that puts US squarely unavoidably in the battle zone right now through twenty twenty five, twenty twenty six, and well into twenty twenty seven. The Gannon Storm and the November twenty twenty five events they weren't the grand finale of cycle twenty five. They were just the early arrivals. The worst may still be on its way.
Speaker 1: So I have a direct, incredibly serious question for you. If odd cycle perfectly aligned with Earth to cause maximum damage, and we are currently sitting right in the middle of this battle zone, and we have exponentially more satellites in low Earth orbit than we did just five years ago, are we essentially playing Russian Roulette with the global Internet and the power grid right now? Are we just pulling the trigger and hoping the chamber is empty?
Speaker 2: The short, uncomfortable answer is yes. The immutable physical reality of the upper atmosphere is deeply dangerously incompatible with the economic incentives of proliferating lower Earth orbit constellations. Right now, satellite companies are incentivized to launch as many units as cheaply and as low as possible. But Mark Misha's twenty twenty five review left the entire field with a very dark reality. The level of precision the satellite industry demands today, the ability to tell a starlink operator three years in advance exactly when to delay launch to avoid atmospheric drag, may simply be beyond what the chaotic physics of the solar dynamo will ever allow we cannot predict the turbulence. So yes, we are rolling the dice every single time a major cme leaves the Sun, which.
Speaker 1: Brings us to the big picture of this entire discussion, zooming out from the immediate danger of this battle zone, this whole saga with Cycle twenty five, the failed supercomputer models, the rogue terminator theory, the falling satellites, the terrified farmers, It forces a deep philosophical realization about our place in the universe. Predicting the Sun is an exercise in extreme humility.
Speaker 2: It truly is. And you can see that humility and how the agencies are acting now. We are currently staring down the barrel of Cycle twenty six, which is estimated to begin sometime between January twenty twenty nine and December twenty thirty two. And do you know what the official consensus prediction for the strength of Cycle twenty six is?
Speaker 1: Let me guess there isn't one? Is there?
Speaker 2: There isn't. After getting burned so badly by their arrogant confidence in Cycle twenty five, NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center explicitly refuses to publish a consensus prediction for the strength of Cycle twenty six. No one in the agency is in a hurry to put a hard number on it. They have been thoroughly humbled by the star they study, and.
Speaker 1: That gets right to the heart of the scale crisis we are dealing with as a species. The Sun has been generating sunspot cycles, twisting its magnetic fields, and refining its chaotic internal dynamo for four and a half billion years. It has been doing this across hundreds of millions of years of slow majestic stellar evolution.
Speaker 2: And our data what do we have to combat that four point five billion year history. We have crude sunspot count records going back to Galileo in the seventeenth century, but the detailed, reliable polar magnetic field measurements that the twenty nineteen supercomputer panel relied so heavily on, we only have three or four cycles worth of that high fidelity data. Even the terminator method, as brilliant and predictive as it has been, has precisely measured maybe two terminator events with the extreme ultraviolet instruments they actually need. We are looking at a fraction of a fraction of a second in the Sun's life.
Speaker 1: So the core takeaway here isn't that the models were stupid or that the scientists were bad at their jobs. The forecast didn't fail because the Sun suddenly maliciously changed its behavior to spite us. The forecast failed because humanity, in our incredible technological hubris, tried to decode a four point five billion year old chaotic system using only a few decades of high fidelity data. The star above our heads is doing things we don't fully understand, driven by noise and turbulence that we cannot measure on a timescale that entirely ignores our recent technological advancements. The universe doesn't care that we just invented GPS, or that we need low Earth orbit internet to trade stocks and watch movies.
Speaker 2: Exactly, The blood red auroras over Mexico during the Genin storm weren't an anomaly. They were a blindingly bright, beautiful reminder of exactly who is in charge in this solar system. The Sun dictates the terms of our existence. The next massive storm is already on its way. It's just a matter of when the magnetic band snap. Whether our models will see it coming in time to save our infrastructure is an entirely different story.
Speaker 1: And that brings us to the end of our journey today. But before we sign off, I want to turn this over to you, the listener. We spent this time talking about the incredibly fragile, intricate web of technology we've woven around our planet, knowing that our entire modern infrastructure, from the microsecond precision of the GPS and your tractor or your phone to the thousands of satellites flying right over your head, hangs in a delicate balance with a four point five billion year old chaotic star. Do you think we are moving too recklessly with mega constellations like Starlink? Should we halt these massive launches until we actually understand the solar dynamo? Or on the flip side, is this immense vulnerability and occasional catastrophic loss just the necessary painful cost of humanity stepping up to become a true resilient space faring civilization. What is your stand? Are we moving too fast or just fast enough? Leave a combat below and let us know what you think.
Speaker 2: It is the most critical infrastructure question of our decade, and one we are going to have to answer very soon before the Sun answers it for us.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for joining us for this exploration on Thrilling Threads River to sand Castle on the beach. The tide is definitely coming in and the ocean is playing by its own rules. Stay curious, stay informed, and we'll see next time.