Speaker 1: Good evening and welcome to nov Our Live coming up tonight. Andy Burnham and Louise Hay have unveiled their plans for funding devolution, but do they stack up a number of Burnham's new ministers have had their historic statements on the guards of genocide highlighted, Spain's army tries to stop Moroccan migrants entering its African enclave, and Diana Abbott has finally been readmitted into the Labor Party. I'm Steven Bethan and tonight I'm joined by Paul Holden. Paul, how are you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm great, Thanks for having me back.
Speaker 1: Like the show, A lot of people have been commenting on it. It's tarot card, so if you get bored of the show, you can read your future. If you'd like to support our work, you can sign up at Navarmedia dot com forward Slash Support. You can also listen to the show on Spotify and Apple podcasts, and remember to light this video subscribe to the channel if you haven't already, and don't forget to let us know what you think in the comments below. We did this all for you and we want to know what you think. Prime Minister Andy Burnham has begun to unveil his plans to devolve both political and economic power from London to the regions, and the way he plans to do it seems, on the face of it, uncomplicated. According to plans published last night, the Burnham government will allow regional mayors in England to retain a share of taxes raised in their areas. In a statement, Burnham said this, I said we'd take power out of Westminster and carry it into every postcode in the country. Today we made good on that promise. Under our plans, more of the taxes raised and a community will stay in that community. Soon, every local leader will have the power and resources to improve public transport, build homes and create jobs. I know what it's like to be ignored by politicians in Westminster. I'm not going to make that same mistake now, I'm PM. The whole of government will now pull together behind the people and places that desperately need our support. This is how we'll bring back hope and bring power.
Speaker 2: Home to you.
Speaker 1: Now, as with many of these announcements, there isn't much by way of detail yet, with the government press release saying this from next spring, mayors would begin retaining a greater share of locally generated revenues, starting with business rates. Further details on this and on income tax retention will be set out in a roadmap the budget, and will be underpinned by the government's firm commitment to fiscal discipline. Over time, local areas will move away from dependence on Whitehall grants and towards funding that rewards local growth. Regional mayors will start being able to keep a share of local business rates by twenty twenty seven, according to the plans, and a share of income tax by twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 2: Now isn't going to be any new money.
Speaker 1: Though, but it is going to replace grants distributed by the Treasury, and we don't yet know the size of the share that mayors will be allowed to keep. That's something that Chancellor John Healey is set to announce. The budget, which he announced today will be on the twenty eighth of October, in the middle of half term. Still some mayors are already celebrating. South Yorkshire Mayor Oliver Coppard told The Guardian this it's really important because it gets us out of the death grip of the Treasury and gives us that long term certainty around income According to the Guardian, a reliable projected income stream will have an additional benefit region for regional governments, with the Papers saying this England's directly elected mayors, who control areas spanning three quarters of the population, would be able to use the revenue generated from business rates and income tax as they wish, including tax breaks for important industries or rebates to residents. However, experts said one of the most significant consequences was that it would allow combined authorities to take out thirty year loans against their projected income to fund major projects that previously needed treasury approval. Local leaders will also be given more freedom to operate independently of central government, with Transport Secretary Hidi Alexander saying the threshold at which local leaders need to seek treasury approval for projects or rise from two hundred million pounds to five hundred million pounds. On the Morning News Rounds, First Secretary of State Louise Haig set out a little more detail on how it will work.
Speaker 3: Income tax and business rates will still be set by the UK government centrally, but different areas will be able to retain a share of those and that will give them an incentive to grow their economy so that they can then keep a share of the proceeds of that growth and reinvest it, so it becomes a virtual circle of investment. You see this happen really successfully in countries like France. I was in Leon not very long ago, where they retain a proportion of their tax intake and then they can invest it and they have world class integrated transport systems and cities that are far smaller than ones here where we don't have anywhere like the kind of investment that they enjoy.
Speaker 4: So what about areas.
Speaker 5: I'm thinking we've got a mayor of London, the wealthiest city in the country, that would get a proportion that the same rules applies. It would get the proportion of income tax. Yet if you go to a region elsewhere in the country which won't have that same income tax, it won't be getting as much money.
Speaker 4: Is that fair? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Correct, So areas will retain different proportions of their income tax and business rates. That's exactly how it works at the moment, with some business rates retention, and that's offset by central government funding, so it will be it will be offset by proportional formula that's set centrally to make sure that funding is still is still fair and equal across the country, but it will crucially give them that incentive to really grow their economy, create extra jobs, invest in their businesses, and ensure a thriving local economy that they can then recirculate the revenue from into investment in their area.
Speaker 1: So Heyer's right that what's being proposed is actually fairly standard in other G seven countries.
Speaker 2: The BBC rather reports this.
Speaker 1: The share of national taxes collected at a local level in the UK is five point eight percent, the lowest in the G seven. According to the OECD, That share is far below that of other countries with large economies, such as France at twenty point four percent, Japan at thirty six percent, and the US at forty five point seven percent. Paul, you may surprise, maybe you're going to supplies me, but I can't find a lot to disagree with in this. I mean, obviously there's very little detail. We don't know what proportion of these taxes local governments, local mayors will be able to take. There's also this calculation that will determine that perhaps richer cities get less of a share than poorer than poorer areas. But you know, is this the right direction of travel? I mean, I'm presuming going to say yes.
Speaker 6: Now I feel like I have to do Devil's Advocate and say no and make up so nonsense argument as to why it's a bad idea. But I mean, I think generally speaking, most people accept this idea, that that localism is.
Speaker 2: It's a good way of governing.
Speaker 6: Generally speaking, the decisions that are sort of regionally driven, where people have a direct implement over you know, their own unique economic circumstances, generally produces better democratic outcomes. I think that's pretty widely accepted, not least in you know. And it has to be said that this country is deeply and profoundly centralized. It really is a very you know, much more so than other countries. You know, London and the Treasury and Westminster exercises vast control over the day to day life of huge numbers of people. And there is this like real sense that there is a deficit between what people around the country think is good for them and what Treasury does. And there's really the sense of a local politics being stifled. And I think it has interesting it has interesting implications.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: So, first of all the one the one caveat I would say, the one negative thing I would say is that just because governments as local doesn't necessarily it doesn't necessarily always mean it's going to be quality governance, right, because you can have bad local government and.
Speaker 2: You can have corruption and all kinds of things go on at that level. Yeah, And.
Speaker 6: You know, one of the issues that that I think will have to be looked at when it comes to local government is the extent to which you've had Historically, You've had regions and entities which have effectively become day factor one party states which are very problematic in terms of corruption. Right, so used to that and it doesn't happen as much anymore. Well, certainly of the last local elections have got more it got a bit more untidy because of the Green surged. But for a long period of time you had, you know, large parts of this country where local government is efectively run by a single you know, a single party. So the Labor Party, for example, had fifteen out of sixty councilors in new them would have seventy out of seventy two councilors in Newcastle, and that can breed a problematic situation where you know, the party itself, which is can be dysfunctional, produces a dysfunctional selection of counselors who then don't represent people, and then it becomes like a very problematic space for corruption.
Speaker 2: That's true of sort of every level of government.
Speaker 6: Right, So that's the one caveat I have is like, you know, localism I think is a really a good idea, but I also think there needs to be a discussion about how we improve the quality of local government and how we you know, it might be that that that the way in which our local elections are structured needs to be rethought so you don't have a situation where one party dominates, because it really is problematic. I think the exciting prospects are things like you you compare study can't Sazarammdani, right, Like you can actually have under this smart it is believable and incredible and imaginable that you can have a form of like actually effective municipal socialism.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: It does actually give the scope for you to do the pressor model and plenty of different places. It does actually give you the scope for mayors like zom i'm daney to emerge as national political players. The question would anybody takes up that opportunity and runs with it? But it could be like really interesting in terms of shaping our sort of national political conversation.
Speaker 1: And also majorties will become a much hotter political race. Right everybody is going to want to be the mayor of somewhere because you have you'll have a bit of what Burnham had in Manchester, but like everywhere right where you've got a sort of great little power, you've got an independent budget and so on and so forth.
Speaker 2: It can be very attractive. One of the things I thought was really.
Speaker 1: Interesting is this idea of like enabling borrowing, because obviously that could be quite large amounts of borrowing based you know, over thirty years for a region, based on its tax tax revenue, So an easy calculation more or less to make is a kind of a way of getting borrowing in for infrastructure, but not via central governments books perhaps.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and that again, that could genuine that that's the one thing you read. I was like, that's actually really interesting. That's like really transformative. You can actually have large scale local borrowing. Again, I'm going to sound like a bit of a warning.
Speaker 2: Saying like birming and Birmingham.
Speaker 6: Actually my thinking, I've been reading a lot. I've been reading and I'm going to totally forget its name, but I've been reading a very interesting book about Manchester recently, which is about, you know, looking at the history of Manchester over the last hundred years and takes up to the current cycle. And it looks at basically the development of Manchester over the last twenty years under Andy Burnham, which he sort of runs on as like I've brought prosperity to the city, and of course the picture is a lot more complicated, where effectively what you've had, according you know to a more cynical and more sort of a left bring analysis, is that well you've actually had a lot of state money, you know, effectively loans being granted. Development is granted by the state and the local government to private entities which have built these massive tower blocks and effectively turns it into a rentier city.
Speaker 2: Pretty much.
Speaker 6: One private entity is right here, which is the main ones that they've got two hundred million dollars. It's undred million pounds out of the four hundred million that's been being learned out. So you know, these are all good things. It's good to have localism. I do worry that, like so much of Britain's you know, this is all happening in the context of a broader macroeconomic situation where the returns for capital are always better when it comes to building rentier house, and it does when it comes to actually building. You know, if it's going to be investment driven, that's going to be and ins investment driving around housing, that's going to potentially have perverse outcomes. If it's instead used to be like we're arguable one hundred thousand actually counsel home properties, that's transformative. If it's combined with other thing I think it's interesting, which I think is maybe the need to be seen together is the plans for the National Care Service because the key, the key drain on local budgets is as care. So if you take if you have a national care service and then you have local fundraising, suddenly you're going to have these these mayoralties and these these these local councils which actually for the first time probably in forty years, will have the budget to spend and they could spend that money either catalyzing Redia style investment, or they could be building council housing, or they can be building integrated infrastructure or positive opportunities, but which you basically need like local political activism to take.
Speaker 1: And of course, like local political activism is easier at the local level, right, You're much more likely to influence your your mayor or your local council than you are to the national government.
Speaker 2: That's an interesting I'm not so sure how that's true. That actually is right? It mus it must be. I feel like it. I suppose.
Speaker 6: I mean, you'd think it would be right, but then I but then I think of my experience and like the dirtiest, the ugliest part of the labor party is like a counselor level. Like that's where it's like tooth and nail nastiness and also the pettiest stuff, right, because that's like the that is the hardcore. These are people who have given their lives. They want to be politicians. They can make some money off it, they can make money of being counselors, but they can also then you know, benefit potentially from maybe I'll be able to become you know, the owner of a parking lot, or you know, I'm going to be controlling zoning that sort of stuff. That there is scope for personal enrichment there and you'd think that like localized democracy would be better. But if it's localized democracy being enacted through a one party stay through a dysfunctional party.
Speaker 2: Actually yeah, sure, and it's actually quite hard.
Speaker 6: And the other thing that's going to have to you know, one of the issues around local democracy that we have is like the death of local media, which is really profound. You know, you have a couple of cities where it's where it's surviving and it's thriving, and a lot of places it's not. And that's you know, that's one of the things that generally militates against like a degree of accountability. So I'd be interested to see whether, now there's money returning to these places, whether that will then fund organically an emergence of an alternative or new local media, because it used to be you'd have like local newspapers to reach little eco you know, great investigative papers like actual you know, you know, really good. Now they sadly they've been like really hollowed out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, pretty much only owned by one BBC local journalism completely wrecked.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so you know, all potentially positive, but these are the things that we have to like deal with is that you know you will then have to be will. Then there has to be a commensurate commitment to being like, well, you can't. You actually need to improve the quality and the ability of people to engage in the local democracy for localism to work.
Speaker 2: Great. Okay, let's move on with this story now.
Speaker 1: Now, this plan for a bit of economic devolution is intended to free regional mayors to stimulate their own economies by investing in things like infrastructure and the infrastructure that best serves their community. But some think it doesn't go far enough. Mayor of Tees Valley and Tory Pierre ben Houchin said this, I'd rather ministers just cut out the middleman and lower taxes, but if they're handing me a share of the income tax raised on Teesside, true devolution means a decision where to spend it is for locally elected leaders. I want to give every penny back to the workers who earned it through a rebate scheme. If people don't like that, they can vote for someone else. That's what real accountability looks like. But today Westminster decided it knew better as it always does. Now, if reporting from private eye is to believe done, you know, I don't know whether it is. Houchin may in fact be a pretty good counterargument to devolution. This relates to the Teesworks freeport in Teeside, the development of which has been dogged by allegations of lack of transparency, lack of transparency and poor value for public money. This is from Richard Brooks, writing in Private Eye in twenty twenty five. It was to be the UK's largest regeneration scheme in decades, a model for regional devolution, and the flagship post Brexit free But the redevelopment of the former steel works on the south bank of the River Tees became little more than an unlawful, taxpayer funded scheme to promote the political career of a Tory golden boy and vastly enrich a couple of local businessmen and their families, all hidden in a web of deception.
Speaker 2: Don't hold your punch, as Richard.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty four, an independent investigation into the Teesport development found that deals had been done in secret, public funders had been misled, the private companies involved had made zero investments into that scheme, and there was no evidence that it represented value for money for the public. And now it's important to point out that there were no findings of criminality or corruption with dishonesty. Louise Hay had this response to Hutchin's rebate proposal.
Speaker 3: At the moment, that's not how it works. They have lines of funding and they go in. That's how it's invested into public services. We've seen what the mayors have said about rebates. There's not a system that would currently allow that, and they certainly wouldn't be able to set tax rates locally or regionally, but will consider what proposals are put forward. The real purpose of this, though, is to allow areas to benefit when they create growth, when they create new jobs, and to keep investing in their local areas in public services, in transport, and to keep that virtuous circle of investment.
Speaker 7: I suppose the point is that if you're giving power to localities, and that's very much what you say want to do, then you would have to give them the power to do things that you might not necessarily approve of you as a labor party, are you willing to say yes if Ben Houtcher wants to do something differently, if the mayor of Cambridgeshire and Huntingdon, who we talked to earlier on Cambridgire and Peterborough. If he wants to do things that he wants to do, then we are willing to allow those people to have the freedom to do things and to see whether they were well.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right, and we can't sit back and allow this country to remain the most centralized in the G seven, which is held back our growth and our productivity and held back investment levels because we worry that certain parts of the country might elect different political parties to our own.
Speaker 1: I mean calling naive. I feel like it probably won't work like that right in the end. Excuse me, but I think there is something to be said about, you know, perhaps as a way in which when you when you inject money into these regional areas, where you allow them to keep some of the money that they're generating in order to spend locally, it does give bad leaders in those areas enough rope playing themselves with it and be elected out as so long as there is an opposition to to.
Speaker 6: But that's actually it's interesting because because when I first read the story, I thought that actually we hey were saying, we know we're not going to allow that to happen. It's actually basically seemed to be she used to be suggested, well, that's what you want to do, you know, on your head be it. You know, your local voters will hold your accountable, and I think they would hold them all.
Speaker 2: She said, there is there's no mechanism to do it.
Speaker 6: But then she does also say she does basically say, you know, you know, we will bring forwards proposers and will scuss. So it's not a hard not I mean, I think it would be a little bit mad to basically be like, here as twenty percent of your you know, here's a master lack of money, just give it back as tax rebates to a really wealthy people instead of investing in infrastructure. I suspect they'll probably be slightly more controlled than that. But the point stance and the point that I was making earlier and again, I think it's useful to bring up Pouchin and the tea side development. And I really would encourage people to go and read that Private Air report, which is actually on the privateized website. Still it's one of the few things you can still read and you know that that is a scheme where just I mean really genuinely vast amounts of public money have gone into it, and they've been a handful of people who've put in very little of their own money and have made fortunes a hundred, like over one hundred million. I think it's one hundred and thirty five million pounds that this group of business people and their families made. And this is it speaks to you know, localism is good, but local neoliberalism is going to be bad, just like you know, you can have just you know, just because it's local doesn't necessarily means it's going to have good outcomes, right, Like.
Speaker 2: I feel.
Speaker 6: There became a bit of a thing in the Labor Party and the soft left, this idea, you know, people who didn't want to make sort of overly tendentious arguments about the nature of the political economy, about the status quo, would start talking about localism as of was this like radical get out of jail free call. If you give people local decisions and not do socialism on their own, we don't have to defend it. That's not necessarily true. But what it does show is that like it's it doesn't you know, it's going to be the content of that local government that matters. If you have poor quality, if you have a neoliberal local government, it's going to be a neoliberal outcome which is going to be problematic. Which is actually, ironically the argument that underpins a lot of the critique of Manchester at this point, which is that you know, Manchester on the one had, it's had a tremendous amount of economic growth. You know, there's completely different city centers to what looked like twenty thirty years ago, but it's all privately owned, it's all rental based. It's created a huge amount of displacement. It's increased rents pretty much across the heart of greater Manchester. And we even sordering the Gorton, so not the Gorton, but the Makeidfield by election. There was a lot of sympathy with people standing and be like, well, you know the stuff was having in Manchester, but none of it's actually made our life worse because what it all it's done is basically push problems from the center towards the periphery, and it's meant everything more expensive. So again it's like great localism is fantastic. Great, I give people more power if the people are there are Tory bastards who want to give it to their mates.
Speaker 2: This is going to be a bad thing. Then you have to suspect that.
Speaker 6: You know, one of the one advantage of hypercentralization is if you centralize everything, that then like ordered functions become centralized and then you can have like a very tightly controlled system. So you'd have to imagine that if you're going to have increased expenditures, you are going to have to make sure that in Darlington they have like more people working in the order offers. Otherwise then really will be a disaster if they don't.
Speaker 2: Do that well.
Speaker 1: I think Burnham was as part of this announcement, was the kind of whistling down of the civil service in the in the center to other parts of the country. Yes, I would say on the on a neoliberalism in Manchester. One of my favorite journalists on this who I've been falling for ages is someone called Zoe Bread on Instagram and TikTok. Yeah, starting off with wrong parking tickets and moving on to skyscrapers and now onto warehousing, ruining people's property prices and just sort of dumped there. So Zoe, if you're watching, get in touch, let's stick with Oh, before I go on, I want to ask you something else.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, just let's go to the politics of this.
Speaker 1: You know, there's no details here, but you know, we've basically had a week two weeks now in which Burnham has on a day to day basis made some kind of announcement which is pretty pleasing to a lot of people. The detail is yet to come, but you know, bus fairs, care service, you know, more money for the more money for regional governments. Is He's doing a pretty good job politically right at this at this point.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I suppose the metric is is what is a good job. If the if the metric for successes he's been using popular things and has been popular and has increasing the layer of party's poll ratings and his poor ratings, then yes he's succeeding. I don't you know, I don't pass juge on whether this stuff is going to be good from like a left wing perspective. That's that's a whole other argument. You know, he is he is. I think he's learned two lessons. I think there's been two politicians who've basically shown you how to do it and how not to do it, and the politicians showed you not how to do it, how not to do a starmo and McSweeney, who liked the most misery guts tour, which most people sort of deeper their bones understood was deeply misleading. And you know, there was this real sense that the layer parties so that we could change things. And then basically we had you know, the last twenty thirty forty years of government has been sorry, the computer says, now we can't actually make your life better, and standard at that again. And the one person who you know, I think is undoubtedly the most talented politician of our generation is or Mum Duney like undoubtedly. And the thing that always trikes me about rum Doney is his ability to is that it feels like everything is strategically oriented, that he spent years and years and years with his colleagues thinking about a strategy for how to govern. And one of the things I've come up is that you have to immediately do big things on a day to day basis and be communicating on a daily basis a good news story of some kind. The problem is you actually have to be doing stuff that is good news. Making good news actually have to be making good news. So the thing that why zerum Doney works is he's both a very expective communicator, but he's done great things right, Like he's done the peedter ted attacks and he's done you know, bringing you free childcare. You can't, you know, the centrist learning of this is going to be you should just be talking to social media every day.
Speaker 2: So if you're talking to so sus.
Speaker 6: Media every day about how you're not going to be closing the carried interest loophole, you're screwed.
Speaker 2: You actually have to be doing things that people like.
Speaker 6: It also shows I think I think Burnham is just proving this ungovernability thesis, like there was a sense of like it's all falling apart, we're all fracturing. No, we just had really crap on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you say you say this is like you know, you say this though this is easy and obvious, but nobody has done it, like I can't remember. I mean Corbyn maybe in that twenty nineteen manifesto, but obviously the country rejected it. But you know, I have not seen this kind of sense of like people need things, let's give them to them.
Speaker 6: And I wonder whether I was thinking about this, like, what is the difference between like, why is Burnham you know, for the first time I think ever in since an election, since a parameter has come and I was looking at the approval ratings. You know, Burnham's at plus nineteen at the moment, yeah, which in this you know, was never a plus nineteen, never once. And then Richie's seen it before. Then you know, we've basically had a good decade where our politicians were pretty much hated, you know, not for bad reason. And I do wonder whether he's obviously had some he had an inbuilt advantage, which is basically he hasn't been an opposition, and I do think that makes a difference. I do think there is something about being in an opposition for a multiple years that like crushes the spirit of most people. And they also they also restrained. I feel like the act of being an opposition is the act of various elements of the British state coming to you telling you better shut up, you better stay in line. You can't actually do that. You go to thirteen different business meetings with like you know, salmon and smoked eggs offensive and you know, various hedge fund people telling you if you increase my tax pil one point two percent. I'm moving my family to France and I'm going to tell all the other He hasn't gone through that process. He hasn't been disciplined. But also he has like a total fresh light to set a message just as all very advantageous, bad for democracy.
Speaker 2: That the way he came to power, I think.
Speaker 6: But those are the inbuilt advantages he has and he's taken to his credit, he's taken them a none of them.
Speaker 1: And another advantage he has of not being having been in Parliament for a long time is he has no record that people can present to him as you know, hypocrisy or going back on the because he doesn't said anything really, so it is helpful.
Speaker 6: Basically what we need is politicians, all politicians who need to be like in the country, both national and local, should have their brains wiped and be a tabula rasa and then that's how they should have But.
Speaker 1: We should just pick randoms for Prime Minister my sautician. Yeah, it worked so well in a recent party. Let's stick with the Burnham government for a moment. Earlier this month, Andy Burnham said this about Kirstarmer's handling of Israel's assault on Gaza.
Speaker 8: I know many people feel that at the start of Israel's military action in Gaza, my party didn't get it right, and I am sorry about that. The response has too often not been good enough. We need to do better. Yes, we have taken some important steps. These include recognizing the Palestinian state, placing sanctions on Israeli ministers, and imposing waves of sanctions on violent settlers and the organizations that support them. I also fully support the restrictions on arms licenses to make sure that no British bombs or bullets can be used by the IDF in Gaza or in the West Bank. But let's be honest, the UK was too slow to call for a ceasefire, and we must now do more to strengthen our approach. Israel continues to violate the ceasefire agreement, killing innocent Palestinians. We're seeing a surge in settler violence in the West Bank and East Jerusalem and the continued expansion of illegal settlements displacing Palestinian communities, and Nettnaku's government is clearly attempting to make a two state solution impossible. That's why we need to do more which includes looking at further sanctions both on those involved in the violence in Gaza, but also looking at measures to ban trade in goods with illegal settlements. I, like many people, feel passionately about Gaza, and I will do everything I can to work with international partners to stop the suffering, to ensure the Israeli government adheres to international law, and to keep the prospect of a two states solution alive because this is the only way to lasting peace for both Israelis and Palestinians. I have been absolutely appalled by what I've seen and read about the destruction of Gaza. There's increasing evidence that war crimes appear to have been committed. There must be accountability for the depth of the suffering the people of Gaza have experienced. Ultimately, however, it must be for the international courts to determine rather than politicians.
Speaker 1: So quite a lot of words there about things he will do, like constrain the Israeli strange good luckmate. But the important thing I think there was that bit at the end where he talked about how for him evidence is mounting that shows the be war crimes. But this is for courts to the side, which will only happen after the event, which means it's too late for anybody who is war crimed anyway. The Palisonian Solidarity Campaign has today it released a video and it shows that some of Burnham's new crop of ministers just don't agree with that thought that politicians shouldn't decide whether the war crimes have been committed by Israel in Garsa.
Speaker 3: It is impossible to conclude that this is anything less than a genocide.
Speaker 9: So on that basis.
Speaker 3: Will he reflect the will of this House to the Foreign Secretary and to the Cabinet to impose immediately sanctions on Nettan Yahoo and his genocidal regime.
Speaker 9: Genocide is not something we can only recognize when it's politically convenient. As a singletary to the Genocide Convention, we have a legal obligation to call out and prevent genocide.
Speaker 10: We owe it to not look away from the devastation and to bear witness to what has been inflicted on the Palestinian people. We owe it to bear witness to this history, to this ongoing genocide.
Speaker 11: Until the international community take further action. Letting now, whose pursuit of to ethnically cleanse Palestine will not end and the horrors of genocide become the waking nightmare for those still alive to witness it.
Speaker 12: The Minister knows the gravity of the moment that we are in famine, ethnic cleansing, genocide. He knows that our actions must be equal to the scale and the gravity of the moment.
Speaker 10: Genocide, genocide, genocide, genocide, a.
Speaker 13: Genocide, Andy Burnham, it is a genocide and it's time for action.
Speaker 4: Sign our petition sanctions now.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: Interesting there, So you've got Andy Burnham saying, you know, we've got to leave it to the courts to decide whether they're all. They didn't even use the word genocide. He just said war crimes, whether war crimes are being committed in Israel, which I think they so obviously are you know, obviously you know, I mean, I think that this is obviously genocidal behavior on the part of Israel. But I can see that, you know, other people might have might think differently about it, whatever war crimes I think. You know, there's there's this like and there's no debate about that. And then you've got a number of his minister's new ministers who have in the past just openly called it a genocide.
Speaker 2: In Parliament.
Speaker 1: I wanted to bring this up because I was wondering what you thought about the tensions in this new kind of regime, the Burnham regime, between those who you know, very taken a very clear position on Israel and wh should happen in terms of Israel and those in his in his cabinet who are up for having old ladies locked up, for holding signs, for supporting a group that's been prescribed in otherwords, Palistine action, whose prescription they think of as wrong for you know, they're not themselves necessarily even supporting that group. They're just like they're opposed to the prescription for lots of different reasons.
Speaker 6: So I think there's a there's a whole bunch of things to like unpack the I mean the one. The one is first of all, you know, unfortunately the people that they've put up in that video are very junior. The only exception is louse Haye, who's obviously it's very powerful, very.
Speaker 1: Very very significant job and obviously like a very close figure to burn.
Speaker 6: And but the rest are you know, rarely not. This is the sort of third level minosterialppointments that they don't care carry. Do you want to wait, and they're very much they were. They were released in the third level of third round of announcements as as I think pretty much have already sort of understood them to be a sobs to the left to be like, you're not being entirely excluded the balance of actually his cabinet is very much not reflective of a pro Palestine position at all. And like the you know, almost everybody in his cabinet right now were people who who've defended and supported the you know, both the perscussion of pot us An action and have said pretty awful things on israelm So, I mean, you know, regardless of where streeting is bizarre text to Peter Mandelsson, and he said the ICJ judgment and the i CJ process was a distraction, right, this is this is something that he said.
Speaker 1: I think when recently asked about all crimes here, you know, committed by Israel, he said something like, yes, we've got to keep our friends in line when they when they step out of.
Speaker 6: Absolutely ridiculous that that, you know, as he's come in defense secretary.
Speaker 2: So my sense is.
Speaker 6: Is that people who would be presenting a countervailing opinion are relatively marginal in his cabinet. But that's not to suggest that there's other people's cabin like Chibanomo who aren't going to be feeling local pressure because you know, she might lose so seating, so might where streeting be came around this issue. But I do think that there is this is this is where Burnham is going to be bad, Like this is where I'm going to break it to you, like, this is where Burnham is going to be bad because this is this is this is the decision that he's made. This is the way that he's decided to govern. And I think it's pretty clear the way that he's done this. He's basically said, I'm going to have like a pretty forward looking progressive domestic agenda. I'm going to touch nothing internationally. I'm going to do exactly what's been that upens at this point in time. I'm going to do, uh, you know, I'm going to increase defense spending even that the disasters have increased defense spending. I'm going to actually increase our interdependence with America through defense spending, even though obviously a shocking idea from a security perspective. I am not going to significantly increase the amount of money we spend on climate change. I'm actually even going to you know, reallocate some money that's supposed to be used for international fight against climate change to domestic priorities, which is one of the first ways that he funded one of his new announcements. And because you know, inside the Labor Party and inside their strategizing, you know, segmentation analysis is a big part of how they perceive the world. And there was recently a a you know, another policy debate around you know, how does the layor party win the next election. And effectively what's been happened that the standard Labor Party segmentation analysis of Britain separates Britain to six to eight segments and then they pretty relentlessly target one or two segments who are they call voting will win them an election, especially now that the whole elections becomes a fractured and I think it's very clear that they have watched segment they've chosen, They've chosen the segment that's represented by Makeerfield and that's what used to be called in segmentation, unless it's given different names, one of which is is the patriotic left. Now this is people who are older, who wipe their working class. They're generally not you know, quite a few of them are owned a small property. They're not like you know, they're not destined by any they're not poor by any means. But you know, they will obviously have felt the cost of living impact on their abilities to live their lives to the fullest. Will be experiencing a lot of holidays and like a lot of luxuries, and increasingly, like some foreclosing the of like the sense of their life and the life of the generation blism is getting better. But this is also a segment that's that's open to ideals like it's open to the idea of having like a nationalized post office and a nationalized rail service.
Speaker 2: They're like big state interventions.
Speaker 6: They have a fondness for their n hgest of a fondness for the post war settlement, but they aren't particularly that, you know, they weak on issues on immigration. They're not pro immigration generally speaking, although it won't necessarily determine their thinking. But this is what the poling suggests that it's not high their list of priorities and international based on Highland's so priorities and I feel like, but what burnhamers basically do is he's done a deal. He's basically said, well, what I'll do is establishment the political filmment. Let me do some radical stuff domestically, and I will make sure that all the other stuff runs as it does for the next two to three years, probably for the next five to ten years. And you can really see that with a defense spending, you know that they're is going to be a massive wratch to being up of defense spending, which is really problematic because eight percent of all UK imports come from Israel. Becomes a defense export. So when you're saying we're going to be increasing defense bending, where you actually saying the underlying messages, we increase the amount of money we need to be sending into ISRAELI actually to Alberton has ready defense systems, right, So this is where he's going to be bad, I think, and I think that beyond a couple of very small sort of I'm a bit sorry, but rueful, it's not going to change fundament Can I just say one more thing?
Speaker 2: I know we're speaking of a long time, no go on.
Speaker 6: I get so pissed off politicians who say that it's up to the course to decide it. Literally, isn't it literally isn't for the course to decide our arms export magime is run on the risk base, on our risk based principle. It is up to our government and it's actually up to the departments and the Wisness Force to make a determination about whether the arms are being sold according to a risk profile. Is there a risk that these arms are going to be used in war crimes? Are they going to be used to be used an international conflicts? That is set within our own arms trade regulations. It would be mad to be a situation where you had to wait for a quart away another because then you'd basically be like, well it was going to say an arms to everybody and then find our ten years too late. Of course, we have to operate on a risk principle. You can't do any forward planning or licensing or if you don't operate on a risk principle like this is this is not the way government works.
Speaker 1: And actually, if you wanted, if you wanted a court to have said something, the ICJ did say that there was a risk of genocide.
Speaker 6: Yes, so you and not just that there's a risk of genocide, but that you are now bound to prevent it. Exactly, you've got to you've got to take steps to do it, not just nothing. You've actually got to prevent it. And that's the key word, to prevent. You've got to be taking active steps to prevent, to actually give you know, some substance to what the IC gas say. What the ACE is actually saying is you need to go in there and stop is role doing this. That's your duty. Whether it's people, or whether it's shutting off the economy or whether it's putting in sanctions, you actually have a duty to do it.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 6: Of course, the problem is the ice jairs going to take ten exactly, take it all over by the time the ice gets itself. So sadly I think that I think on this stuff Burnham is going to be disappointing. It doesn't mean necessarily mean you can't be pressured, but I do also think in sort of the broader political filament, this is the sort of place that the Greens to Progressives can draw like a very clear line of difference. And this is where we stand on foreign policy. We take an ethical approach to it. Our foreig policy approach is based on human security and that's what we care about.
Speaker 1: And as a result of the position that you're predicting, which I think you're probably right about. They will find it easier to take seats off of Labor in those areas that.
Speaker 2: That burn will essentially abandon.
Speaker 6: I think that's I think that's accurate, certainly in the short term. I mean, i'd imagine that Burnham and his allies have like a plan for reconstituting the Labor Party. I don't think it's going to work on its current trajectory, because I think you need to do more to re canies Cosmo politicism and Britain as like as a real force in international solidarity, as a real force for our politics. My sense is that for this next electoral cycle, the Labor Party will effectively not give up. Will probably internally have a sense that they're going to lose places at Bristol, They're going to lose big parts of London, They're going to lose you know, Norwich, They're going to lose very substantial parts of Birmingham. But they will reconstitute some of their voting coalition outside of Yeah, that's right, and that's I think from a national perspective, it's a good thing. I think because all of this suggests that the one thing that I think we are going to have to give Burnham credit for, even though I'm criticizing him here is I think if he does the domestic stuff well, he then reduces the structural conditions that produce reform, and I think that could be in a major achievement, and then that generally brings all of our politics more left wing and more humane and more interesting and more.
Speaker 14: Normal.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's going to be a reforms fear, isn't it. That is what they are going to do, and in fact looks like they have been to some extent making them in roads, even though reform has been very very well destroying itself in the last few few months of ven and may have got a bit lucky there. The tiny Spanish territory of Cuta shares a border with Morocco in North Africa, and on Thursday a record number of migrants swam from Morocco.
Speaker 2: To the enclave.
Speaker 1: Spanish officials have estimated that some forty nine thousand people swam around barriers to the territory, which consists largely of a single city. Given that the current population of the region is just eighty thousand people, that's an overwhelming number. The migrants were mostly young Moroccan men, but included women, children, and non Moroccans. At least fifty seven people have died attempting to enter Queta, according to the territory's president. Spain's Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez has called it an attack and a violation of Spain's territorial integrity. As a part of Spain, Queta is also part of the EU, that led EU Commissioner condlay And to say this, the images coming from Queta are unacceptable. We cannot allow anyone to come to our union without abiding by our rules. Dangerous crossings must stop immediately, Smuggling networks must be dismantled, and returns must be swift as our rules allow. I task two commissioners to support to control the situation. Returns have taken place throughout today, with thirty seven thousand people returned to Morocco by this afternoon, according to Spanish authorities. Now what triggered this sudden rush of people from Morocco isn't known, but The Financial Times has reported this. The influx in the coast Or Enclave, which has a population of about eighty three thousand and is hemmed in by Morocco led analyst to suggest the Moroccan authorities had deliberately enabled the stream of migrants. Queta and Spain's other North African enclave, Malia, have long been sources of tension with Morocco, and less see the threat of migrants overwhelming Spain's enclaves by land or sea as a key source of Rabout's leverage over at Madrid. Thousands of people spawned storm brother Queta in twenty twenty one after a diplomatic riff between Spain and Morocco over Western Sahara, a territory claimed by Rabat. That doesn't explain, however, why, if true, Morocco would have enabled this mass journey of migrants at this particular moment. But in recent months, the US has also gotten involved in the dispute. In May, Congressman Marioda's Balat, a key ally of U Secree of State Marco Rubio, told a Spanish newspaper that neither territory were in the geographical territory of Spain, but rather of Morocco. Better not mention Alaska, Puerto Rico or Hawaii, although of course he's not wrong in terms of geography, but those remarks were seen by some as revenge for Spain's increasingly defined attitude to the US. Actions that irritated the Americans included denying US forces involved in the country's illegal war on Iran use of bases on Spanish territory and culminated in Spain closing its s by S base to US military flights. Spanish ministers, including Prime Minister Sanchez, have repeatedly called the war illegal and immoral. Israel is also on very bad terms of Spain after Sanchoz described the country's actions in Gaza as a genocide, imposed the total arms blockade, and called for Israel to be banned from international sport as a result. Israel's ambassador to the UN, Danny Danon, has also had a go posting this Spain, which never misses an opportunity to lecture Israel, has the clearest state of emergency in Quetta following the crisis over its immigration policy. Maybe before it continues lecturing us, it's time it explained to the world why it still maintains colonial enclaves in Africa. I think colonial enclaves are probably wrong, but I think you can still have colonial enclaves and criticize a country which has killed tens of thousands of children's children from the air. So sorry, Danny, not buying it. Morocco has continually asserted its claims to the two territories held by Spain, and when you look at the map you can see why. With Queta sitting about twenty kilometers from Spain. From Spain at Morocco's northernmost point that geographical distance, the British right are having a field day. Jack Davey in The Telegraph has declared the Spanish left responsible for the invasion, linking it to Sanchez's amnesty for undocumented migrants announced earlier this year. Meanwhile, GB News tried to spook its audience by describing the event as sixty thousand migrants storming the Spanish border. Don't know how much geography gb News audiences. No, I didn't know about Queta before today. That's a pretty incendiary way of describing the matter. This was Navarre's Aaron Besani on that channel.
Speaker 15: But in the case of these particular endcloves, they are in Africa. I think this is really important to say they are on the land mass of Africa, and I would submit that if you have territory like that, this will happen. Imagine again for British audience, Imagine if Gibraltar wasn't tied to Spain but was tied to Afghanistan, we would have lots of Afkhans trying to go there and then trying to get British citizenship. I mean, that's basically you know, two plus two equals four logic. So there's a problem for Spain which goes back many, many years. It's a problem for governments of the right of the left, the center right, or.
Speaker 4: The center left.
Speaker 15: What I'd add is it is different in so much as and it's unique inso much as these aren't refugees.
Speaker 4: Morocco is a relatively successful country.
Speaker 15: So the argument's being made for them to enter Spain, let's get a citizenship. Aren't the same that you would have had Cassiria in Germany in twenty fifteen, or four Iranians or Afghans coming to Britain in the last ten years.
Speaker 4: Morocco's quite a successful country.
Speaker 15: And also what was mentioned there about them being young men, they are. You can see that there is no ambiguity here that is overwhelmingly young, healthy men. By the way, many which I'm sure want to make a life for themselves and work really hard and just do really well.
Speaker 4: They want opportunities to fit young men. You can see that.
Speaker 15: So it's a really really unique situation. And you know, unless Spain pitches this territory. I think Queta is about sixteen square kilometers, it's very very small, and they've had it for like four or five hundred years. And not just that they should do that, but unless they do do that, I don't really understand how you stop it.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: I mean, like one way of describing this situation is Moroccans going to Morocco and you know, you know, national sovereignty and all of that. You know, this is clearly just a tiny enclave that Spain has for strategic reasons. It's you know, in a very important part whether we're terraining. The Strait of Gibraltar is narrow, but you know, it's not an invasion of Spain, is I know that there are rules that mean that you know, like people manage to get to the mainland, you know, the the borderless nature of Europe means that you know, I mean, there's no there's no sense, there's no as far as I've seen, there's no indication that that's what people in fact want to do, and you know, being moved back out of Morocco into Morocco pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: Well, there's no sense that.
Speaker 6: Well so the first of all, like just just before we came on, there's been new figures being released about the numbers of returns. And also there seems to be depending on the source, you read, a lot of discussion and the lack of clarity about the number of people who actually went over the board. So all the reporting says local estimates suggests sixty thousand. What local estimates the Spanish, the Spanish government have said it's forty nine.
Speaker 2: Thousand people crossed over, and.
Speaker 6: Of which they say about you know, forty five forty six thousand people have already returned. And it basically seems to be a message had been sent that basically if through people might listen also of other different people. But basically, you come to Queta, then there is a possibility that there's going to be the amnesty that have been applied to other migrants, you might be able to come into the EU, there might be some sort of and basically it's not true. People found out wasn't true and they went back home basically and it seems to me like there's a lot of people trying to make and draw political inferences are way beyond justified. But what's actually happened. So one thing that happened literally against before we came on air is that Italy a suspense that a cheng and agreement.
Speaker 2: As I said it was going to.
Speaker 6: This is this is incredibly stupid to I mean, that's a they share a land border, like they're none of these people who have gone to Quita, have crossed, have have then.
Speaker 2: Swam. You can't them that straight.
Speaker 6: There's not like an army of boats that people have gotten onto and then gone onto the mainland and then are heading for the border of Italy.
Speaker 2: This feels like just.
Speaker 6: It feels like there's a degree of internal EU dispute that certainly you countries do more right wing and have more populous leaders. Look at Spain and they don't particularly like their approach to immigration, and there's been like scare mongering in presses like Italy in Czechoslovakia around what does this mean for the EU? And this is a political weapon for them to be using. But actually, you know, even though it's very odd and it's awful that you know, one thing has been lost in the coverage, it seems to me, is that people have died, and that's awful. Fifty seven people die, which is terrible, and obviously, you know, the people who've caused that to happen should be held to I can't but this idea that this suddenly being like Spain has suddenly created this like mass immigration panic in Europe as nonsense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's totally nonsense.
Speaker 1: I mean I was I was more drawn to like the sort of State Department operation angle angle here. And it's not just because of that congressman. It's in the American Enterprise Institute just earlier this this this year, this guy, I think Michael Rubin was writing about like literally, this is what Morocco should do. It should use bulldoze as it should send people over, It should reclaim these territories. I think there is such a you know, in the in the in the US rights, such an antagonism towards Spain. It's not just for like the military stuff, the bases and the airspace over Iran, or it's you know, condemnation of Israel. It is also because of that Amnesty project. You know, if you remember that document that the State Department released last year about you know, it's sort of strategic plans for you know, it's strategy where the folks on Europe was cultural change mildly and where it was you know, this is like the most important issue facing Europe, and Spain is really kind of modeling the opposite of that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I mean that document was mad, by the way, totally like the most like pulled out of Elo Musk's brain, you know, clash Civilizations dance and which I mean, if I remember, he basically said that Europe is no longer rety partner because it's not white enough, basically, but that was pretty basically europe civilization is collapsing because they've got too many immigrants. And the interesting thing is like, actually the experience in Spain has been quite interesting because they take a different approach on all sorts of different things. They're actually they're one of the few EU countries that it is experiencing like significant economic growth and people.
Speaker 2: Are asking why immigration.
Speaker 1: It's actually like and the acknowledge that in the amnesty he said, this is why we're doing it. We're doing it because these people will grow our economy over time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was very clear about it at Sanchez and.
Speaker 6: And you know, basically what it's done is it's shown we're also living in this very bizarre time that basicity Europe is like going to be undergoing like like a pretty profound demographic crisis in Spain. Is basically said, yeah, we are going to go through a demographic crisis. We're going to drop some of the racism that stops us from actually dealing with us in the pragmatic terms, and we are going to have immigrants and we're going to empower them and give them the ability to build lives and they will generally speaking, knuckle down and they'll work hard, and they'll advance the economy. I mean generally speaking, you can't have you know this, I do wonder and this is a random straight thought that I've had, So let's let's throw it out there. That might be just total nonsense, right as a like we'd whether like neoliberalism has like destroyed the understanding of labor, Like it's like understand like it's destroyed the concept of like you don't have economic growth up people like fundamentally, Like I was, I was thinking about this the other day because John Heally was giving a press a press conference and he said, you know, in it was to business people and he said, I'm so I'm so glad to see you or hear you guys are the wealth creators. And I was like, I was so furious by that statement. I was like, no, they're literally not the wealth creators. And you're the labor party. It used to be doctored in the layor party the people who create wealth as labor. That's actually who creates wealth. And it feels like people have lost sight of that that you you do. You know, fundamentally, all economic growth is based on human endeavor until such time was replaced by robots. And it's a different discussion altogether. But you know, we've got this idea that you could grow an economy indefinitely, which you probably shouldn't be doing anyway with our people, with our young people, the people who are going to be working, and we're not having even in the UK, like actually serious mature conversations about like, oh, well, if we're not creating the conditions for people to be having lots of children and we are allowing on immigration, then maybe from a working class and from a class aurdarity perspective, if you're going to be bringing loads of people to work for you, and they're not give them any rights, which is basically what shabano moda is doing. You were going to be affecting everybody's class position in a negative way. What Spain is basically done is, you know, they attacked this is all they're running like a las f faire economy, you know, allowing amergacy. What they've actually effectively done is they've said to a million people, you now have workers' rights, You've now been regularized, you now can't be abused by your employer. That's actually what their process does. It's not actually just about you are not Spanish, it's actually, now you have Spanish rights, you have rights under EU law. You can't be working sixteen eighteen hours a day and undermining the wages of older people here. And that's actually the way you bring people onside and immigration debate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's right.
Speaker 1: It's interesting the thing you say about neilberalism and the notion of labor. I've had like a thought recently from the other side, which is neoliberalism is also like convinced everyone that governments can't do anything anymore. It's like this feature of like what I like to call like the clapped right. You know, used to think of like the right in politics and somehow being like the engine of innovation and whatever. And now every right wing person is like, you suggest though, maybe we could do this, and they're just like, we can't do anything. And really, like any corporations can do these things. Companies can do the things, but like, we can't do it.
Speaker 6: First of all, corporations can't do most things they're going to do. Yeah, but you know, I've had this conversation. This is going to be a bit of a weird tangent. But have you ever read The Three Body Problem?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 6: Right, okay, now, very interesting series of books, sci fi books. The thing that really struck me about I was like, what's it going to be?
Speaker 14: Like?
Speaker 6: I've never actually read like a Chinese novel maybe aby Tannel. He really doesn't it, it's like and the thing that like is actually the most sci fi aspect of that novel is like it goes through all these different phases of like human endeavor as it plans for this particular there's in engagements of how we're going to deal with aliens, and there's multiple different human responses and every human response is like, we built amazing underground cities that look like trees and leaves.
Speaker 2: And I was like, well, on a.
Speaker 6: Second, where is your belief And it's caerly coming from I was like, oh, this is like a Chinese author, Chinese perspective. Actually you can do anything, you can do any Actually the state is going to build these are massive underground cities with leaves and trees and stuff like that. And it made me think like there really has been the sense and it was a it was a created sense, a manufactured sense, and the state is bad at doing stuff, you know, and basically.
Speaker 2: You mean it's sometimes bad.
Speaker 6: I mean the famous example there was always used to defend your liberalism was the Spanish phone network, the Mexican phone network where which is a nationalized phone network, where it took you two years to get a phone connection, and that was always held up as like this shows you why. But like monopolies are bad. Why you know, if you have five different phone networks, then you know you'll get better services, which might be true for certain types of things, it's very much not true. For water, it's very much not true for like long term like infrastructure development. It's it's certainly not true, for like doing anything that might be good for humanity that doesn't necessarily turn a profit, like build the internet, right, Like, but I think you're right. There is the sense that maybe that's why Burnham is so interesting as a character, because he thinks the state can do things well. So he's the first person who's basically said the computer says yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly exactly, and like, actually, that's that's right.
Speaker 1: Hates it because they're so sort of you know, convinced of the absolute impossibility of anything ever changing.
Speaker 6: But also they will also at the same time this is the hypocrisy in like the we're not the hypocrisy, but certainly that this juncture of the thinking. So they'll also then hank back so and imagine Great Britain, which is all about the state, like the things will be thinking about it is like our response to World War two, or you know, we only we only privatized our defense industry in the nineteen eighties, which is a disaster, by the way, we should never have done that for sorts of different reasons. But like the war was about the Second World that's state driven. If the NHS is a state in city after World War two, greatest boomer living standards. The state basically nationalized like sixty percent of the economy and built amazing, amazing, amazing things. I just feel like I remember seeing something on I was actually it was Rifker Brown Navarro who did that article which that was so interesting about finished trains and it went like totally vile around the world, and I was like, this is what happens with you just the state just spent some money on infrastructure, and it was actually speaking to Americans, know, like I thought that all trains just had to be absolutely awful. Covering like rats looked like a hell escape and you know, you basically go into like an underground apocalyptic world where you may not emerge, and it's like, oh no, you kind actually just build nice things if you put some money into it and you have some project management skills.
Speaker 16: Right.
Speaker 1: Well, that was all a bit of a tangent, a great an interesting one from from from from Christ.
Speaker 2: So let's go on to our our last story.
Speaker 1: Britain's first black woman MP and the mother of the House, Dian Abbott, has finally been readmitted to the Labor Party. That's after her suspension was lifted by Prime Minister Andy Burnham's new Chief Whip, Annalisa Midgeley, following the completion of an internal process. So what was Abbot alleged to have done? The suspension relates to a letter Abbot published in The Observer back in twenty twenty three, in which she claimed that Irish people, Jewish people and travelers suffered from prejudice, which, while similar to racism, is not in fact racism, which she appeared to define as relating only to skin color. Those groups, she said quote are not all their lives subject to racism. That letter got her into hot water, and though Abbott apologized at the time, then leader of the party Kirstarma, withdrew the whip. The whip was then restored in May twenty twenty four, and just a month before the July general election, Abbot was confirmed as the party's candidate for her seat in Hackney North, although it was very clear to outsiders that the Parliamentary Labour Party were doing everything in their power to stop her from being that candidate. But in July last year, Abbot appeared on Radio four where, according to some she reiterated the points she'd made in the letter and will come to that radio interview in just a moment. She also posted around the same time and quickly deleted, very quickly deleted, a tweet in which she called the idea for the Jewish defense Forces. Later that month, she was suspended from the Labour Party again, with a senior party official telling the paper it was unlikely she'd ever be readmitted to the party.
Speaker 2: Well how wrong they were.
Speaker 1: In a statement posted online on Thursday, Abbot said this today, following a process conducted in line with party rules and approved by the independent review Process, I have been readmitted to the Labour Party. I've been issued with a formal warning for a tweet I previously posted by inadvertently referring to the Israeli Defense Force as the Jewish Defense Force. I used wording that conflates the actions of the State of Israel with the Jewish community. I am deeply sorry for any hurt caused by that conflation and apologize for any hurt caused by it. I have been and remain a lifelong anti racist and remain deeply committed to opposing racism in all of its forms. Now you'd think that would be that, except on Thursday night, Newsnight dedicated more than half the program to Abbot's readmission to the party and it began. The show's political editor Nicholas What revealing he had a pretty one sided Labor Party contact book.
Speaker 16: I am hearing unease amongst Labor MPs who are supportive of the Jewish community. One of them I spoke to and they said, oh my God, for God's sake, they said to me. They talked about real disappointment. I spoke to another Labor MP. They said to me, this is absolutely outrageous. They fear that this could be a step backwards, and they were particularly uneasy that this has happened during the recess, when there's no ability for Labor MPs to walk up to their whip immediately and say what is going on there? Amongst members of the Jewish labor movement, they are supportive and have confidence in Andy Burnham. But one said to me they were worried that this could provide a pretext for those on the left, those who still have admiration for Jeremy Corbyn, that they could say, in the words of this person, let's overcome the injustice that was done to people who were removed from the Labor Party over allegations of anti't worried about that. I was speaking to Dame Louise Elman, of course, her formerly prominent Labor MP who left the Labour Party over the anti antisemitism allegations and then came back at the invitation of Keir Starmer. She was slightly concerned by the wording of dian Abbot's statement today. So the adverse finding against Diana Abbot which led her to apologize was a tweet a year ago in which she described the Israeli Defense Forces as the Jewish Defense Forces. She apologized for that because there was an adverse finding on that. And then this is what Dian Abbot said, I am deeply sorry for any hurt caused by that conflation and apologized for any hurt caused by and it was used of the word any that Louise Elman picked up on, and Louise Elman, this is what she said to me. There have been a succession of unfortunate errors in relations to Diane's perception of Jewish people. I'm not sure whether she understands the mistake she's made, or whether she has found a form of words to allow the whip to be restored.
Speaker 1: I guess the implication of that is that the use of the any suggests somehow that Abbot doesn't really mean it and has just found a kind of formalistic form of words which allow allows it to be resorted. I mean, I'm not really sure how you can, you know, infer that from from the apology.
Speaker 2: It's just the use of the word any her.
Speaker 1: I would also say any of her if I was apologizing to somebody. I don't didn't really understand that that inference there.
Speaker 2: But what we do know is that.
Speaker 1: Abbot wasn't required to apologize over the remarks she made on Radio four about racism, so that was followed when she had the whip restored after the original suspension over the Observer article. She then a little while later went on the radio and made some remarks that we're going to come to and she those remarks haven't been any that she doesn't seem to have had to apologize for those they don't seem to have that doesn't seem to be have been a finding about about those remarks on the radio program. This was now Phil Rosenberg, president of the Board of Jewish Deputies, giving his take.
Speaker 17: Well, I'm very sad and very concerned. I'm sad because in many way Dyanabbot is an icon, you know, the longest serving female and p the first black female MP out of the House, another of the House, and so you'd hope that we would find common cause in fighting racism in all its different guises. But over and over again she's making these statements that are offensive to the Jewish community at a time when there is heightened an Semitism, deadly anti semitism as we saw at Heaton Park, and just completely full statements. You know, when the Nazis developed their racial prejudice laws, they were basing them on discrimination against African American people under the Jim Crow laws. There is Jews and black people should be fighting racism together. And unfortunately Dynabber over and over again makes these comments, then doubles down on them, and just once again she's apologized for the thing, and well she didn't.
Speaker 13: Double down this time. She actually apologized for the tweet.
Speaker 17: Which she apologized, but not for the original thing that she had double down for. Right, And I'm just really sad and I'm concerned because, as you were implying, we've seen this movie before and it doesn't end well for the Jewish community. And it does and well, for Labor.
Speaker 1: So that was a reference to Abbot apparently doubling down on her comments about her original comments in The Observer about racism in that later Radio four interview that also became the subject of a heated exchange between News Nights presenter Adam Fleming and Labor mp BE Robero adding.
Speaker 18: Something that was said earlier that was wrong talking about the interview that she did say that. Diane said in the interview that she had done nothing wrong. I think this is where some of the issues arise, where sometimes you know, the wrong sense is taken out of what Diana had said. She didn't say that, and she actually reiterated her She said she stood by her apology that she made regarding the Observer letter in that same interview. So it's very strange that it was reported in that way and that you reported it that way today.
Speaker 13: We no just so people are clear. If you go back and listen to the GYM Knotty program, which was broadcast on Radio four last year, he says to Diane Abbott, do you regrets what you said in that letter? And she said no, and that is what led to her being suspended this latest time.
Speaker 18: The thing is, I think you actually have to listen to the whole interview because she I think the way in which it was clipped following her saying no, she was referring to what he had asked her before whether or not she was clear on the fact that people experienced racism differently. She also said that she stands by the apology that she gave after after having written after having written the letter, So I think you have to listen to it in its full context and regardless of trying to pick at these particular things. Diane has been very clear about where she's offending somebody, of offending a group of people, being apologetic of it and understanding what has gone wrong. And everybody knows that Dan is someone who's challenged all forms of racism.
Speaker 13: That exchange continued, But Belle, we're not picking at these things in your words, We're reflecting genuine concerns.
Speaker 18: That particular interview. I'm saying, if you wanted to refer to anything else that has been said, which I might, I must note she's gone and apologized for I would like to say, if you listen to the interview properly as many people have, what people inferred from it and what was reported from it was not entirely accurate. That is all I'm saying. And Diana's been very very clear about her apology, her initial apology and the apology that she's reiterated today. She's very pleased to be back in the Labor Party now. I think you'll find that many people are pleased that she is. Also, thirty five thousand people signed a petition saying that she should be reinstated, and I think that's an important thing to note.
Speaker 13: Bell just before you interrupted me, which is the wrong way around for these things to work. I think in TV and news, I was going to say, we're not just picking at things she said in interviews and fixating on them. Nick has been reflecting back genuine concern from your colleagues in labor.
Speaker 18: I'm making a point about specific Yes to the point I'm making that. I'm making your point specifically about what you have said.
Speaker 4: And you made that point.
Speaker 13: I'm asking you to make a different point about your colleagues tonight and how they're feeling about this.
Speaker 18: I have no issue with my colleagues having concerns, and I think it's right for them.
Speaker 2: To express it.
Speaker 18: I know I was talking about your point let's be very very clear, I was talking about what you said in regards to the interview. Correct, yes, no, no, But it's important to make that to make to make a proper statement when you're when you're reflecting back on something that someone has said. So to now try and say that I have said that an entire communities issues should or members of my colleagues should be my colleagues issues shouldn't be of any concern. That is also not something.
Speaker 2: I'm giving you. I'm giving you a chance.
Speaker 1: So I actually don't agree with rivera ADDIE's take on the interview, which we're going to listen to in a minute, But I do think she was like super sharp to catch that slide that was being made between her sort of arguing about the meaning of the interview and the inter if you were sort of then making it sound as though perhaps she was also dismissing concerns of MPs and the Jewish community.
Speaker 2: I think that was a very sharp catch there.
Speaker 1: But look, let's have a listen to the twenty twenty five interview and see if Abbott really did double down on the Observer letter.
Speaker 19: You got into terrible trouble for a letter you wrote to the Observer about racism, and you appeared to suggest, in the view of some of your critics anyway, that the kind of anti semitism that the Jewish community suffered, or traveler suffered, or Irish people suffered, was somehow different from the racism that you, as a young black person had suffered. You were suspended and there was a great hookah. Do you look back on that with regret?
Speaker 14: No, not at all. Clearly, there must be a difference between racism which is about color, and other types of racism. Because you can see traveler Jewish person walking down the street you don't know, You don't know unless you stop to speak to or or you're in a meeting with them. But if you see a black person walking down the street, you see straight away that they're black. There are different types.
Speaker 19: Of racism, but the effect is the same. If you are going to a synagogue on a Saturday morning and you have to have guards outside because some people might come along and want to insult you or even throw things at you, that's pretty much the same as the kind of thing you describe in your book as happening to you as a black person. The fact is one is a person of color, and one isn't. It's neither here nor there. If you suffer it, it's still damaging.
Speaker 14: It is here because you can spot that person of color from one hundreds of yards away.
Speaker 20: That is what is different. You will do the thing you said.
Speaker 19: Look, if this is misunderstood as you thought it was, then I apologize for it. But from the you don't believe you did anything wrong, or you didn't attempt to say something that you didn't believe.
Speaker 14: I just think that it's silly to try and claim that racism, which is about skin color, is the same as other types of racism. I just I don't know why people would say.
Speaker 19: That, but you would, I assume, condemn anti Semitic behavior in the same way that you would condemn racist behavior against someone simply because of the color of the skin.
Speaker 14: Well, of course, and I do get a bit weary of people trying to pin the anti Semitic label on me, because I've spent a lifetime fighting racism of all kinds, and in particular fighting anti Sempittism, partly because the nature of my constituency.
Speaker 1: So I think it's like it's fairly subtle, was not actually even subtle at all. Actually, she said one thing in the Observer article, which was that racism was one thing and prejudice was a different thing, and they could were easily mistaken for one each other, but for one another. But you know, Jewish people, travelers, the Irish don't experience racism and experienced prejudice. And she also compared it to like the experience, you know, she'd use redheads as an example of experiencing prejudice. That was a mistake here in this interview. She's not actually saying any of that. She's just saying that actually there are differences in the way that that that racism is enacted and and experienced, and that some people some some racism, you know, is a result of directly the way that that's that some somebody looks and and and On LBC, coler Barry rang into the studio to give pretty much that take.
Speaker 2: On the on the Abbot case.
Speaker 20: People didn't hear the words she said, partly because she's a black woman, so they dismissed her. So they refused to hear the fact that she said that other people face prejudice. They do face prejudice. It doesn't mean that it's worse or better. It just means that it is. And I'm a black man, and when I walk down the street, doesn't matter that I'm almost fifty years old. People will still cross the road. They will still cross the road, they will still grab their handbags. I asked the question, are they being careful or are they being prejudiced. I've heard MPs say that they don't like black and brown faces on TV too many on adverts. There were some outrage, but you know what, there wasn't the same clamor they don't go on about it. They'ved she's okay, now she's still an MB. My racism is literally on my skin. Yeah, yours, Yes, you might use Yes, people are treated differently for other reasons, but mine is superficient.
Speaker 1: Paul, I'm not surprised that Abbott wasn't They didn't find anything wrong with what she said on the radio because I think what she said on the radio was completely true and it was different from the clumsily phrased thing and potentially false thing that she said in the Observer. I think that, you know, it's it seems, as she said, fairly obvious that there are different types of racisms which are just responses to different features of people. All of them are racism, but they have their experience differently and they are triggered differently. And I'm glad to have her back in the party, in the Labor Party.
Speaker 6: What do you think about this, this whole thing is is you know it possibly off so much to be honest and use my language, like watching all this again happening, it's like the most bad faith interpretation of what dan Abbott was trying to say and it's been trying to say for a very long time, which is an incredibly simple, straightforward, really uncontroversial point, really uncontroversial point pretty much anywhere in the world outside of like the hermetically sealed nonsense of the Labor Party, where like these issues become just storted beyond any sort of reasonable interpretation, and you know, it's filtering into a political process so toxified this discourse, you can't have a serious conversation. So I think, you know, first the first things first we have to do is like straighten ow what happened. She sent the letter to the Observer, where she was trying to make the point that there are differences in the ways the prejudice express depending on the axis on which the prejudice happens. So if you're a black person, it's on your skin, people respond to you. If you're Jewish, you might not be visibly Jewish. You might not be unless you were in a kipper, so you might be able to you might you know, you won't experience racism in the same way. That's totally uncontroversial thing to say that different types of prejudice express themselves differently, just in the same way that anti black racism, the types of stereotypes that will be associated with blackness is different to the type of sterious types that will be associated with people who are Jewish and who are Muslim, because they're all culturally determined by different historical processes. You know, black people, you know gray up in South Africa and a party like the racism towards black people is that they're thick, that they are smelly, that they are a different, that they're animalistic. The type of prejudice that's shown towards Jewish people is that they are too smart for their own good, that they are malevolent operators because their loan sharks, their shylocks that are and Muslims, you know, now, the culturally created prejudice around them is that they you know that the Islam is a fundamentally vinyl religion. These people will deep down, regardless of what country they live and actually have a Muslim gene that makes them under do Sharia law every area. Like Obviously, different types of prejudice expressed differently, because all prejudice is socially constructed, and it's socially constructed at different times by different people for different reasons, usually economic domination. That's the key thing, right, So Dianahbud's first edited Observer is plainly clumsily written. She clearly says something that underplays the extent and consequence of anti Jewish presidents.
Speaker 2: Obviously, the Redhead's thing was crazy.
Speaker 6: Obviously I think she immediately apologizes for her right and she says, I'm really sorry. This was a drafting error. I sent her a Drafters that was wrong. I was dealing with my staff member a ment to sense her a lated draft where you corrected it and the wrong one got in.
Speaker 2: Of course, the question.
Speaker 6: Perhaps like why dubserver and said they knew didn't reflect the views that it's a different discussion. But she immediately apologized, right, and in that moment the key issue was well, how do you deal with an apology from Dynabod versus somebody like Steve ree Because Steve Reid made incredibly clumsy comments about Jewish businessman and he was immediately absolved. You know, he was like, it's fine, you know you made a mistake. We are going to you know, part of what drives so much British politics is basically who gets the benefit of the doubt in a situation like this. Steve Reid immediately got the benefit of the dart, Dynabo didn't, and dynabin't given the benefit dot for all sorts of reasons, not least racism, but also at least because the people who didn't want to give the benefit of the dart were the same people who make the decision about whether she suspends it or not. Right now that happens, they take a year to investigate a letter which is apologized for, which is an absurdity, and it's plainly designed to humiliate her.
Speaker 2: There's simply no.
Speaker 6: Reason for it to take a year to investigator, and they're clear her and they lie about her heatedly in that year that Kirstarmer gives an interview where he says, you know, one of the first things I did when I came in as leaders is I didn't get involved in this. She's going, you know, this is an independent process. You know, I have no role on this. By the time she had an interview, she'd already been cleared by the party of wrongby she'd gone through a process. All that happened was for the whip to be restored. They're repeatedly lied about it. Then we had the Frankester situation where she's racially you know, there's a horrible thing that Frank Kester says, there's there's a discussion in parliament, she's the only person not called.
Speaker 2: To give a discussion about it. Really treats her abominably.
Speaker 1: Right, And then he makes a big show of sort of going over it, right yeah, And she.
Speaker 6: Says, and there's a conversation. He says that anything I can, She's like, give you the godamn whip back. And basically she has to fight tooth and nail, im mobilize like a large left in constituency predominantly blackened her constituency to make sure she can actually just stand as the MP. And she wins that battle. Then she gives us interview to the BBC, where plainly what she's saying is I stand by the original point that I was making, which is entirely uncontroversial. It's so obvious that's what she Yeah, it's so obvious what she's saying is that I don't you know, she's not saying, oh, I actually meant the originally worded She's saying. The point that I'm trying to make is that different types of racism and prejudice express themselves, which is why I find for rosenbooks coming so discussed and really pisses me off this idea that she's not actually standing in solidarity to Jewish people by saying, actually, we should be sensitive to the unique ways in which anti semitism, anti black racism exploss is fundamentally showing your sensitive to the issue of anti semitism, like it pisses me off that he's even using that moment to imply, as far as I can understand, that he's saying that she's actually drawing some sort of negative distinction between the black and the Jewish community, and she's trying to draw where she's not. She's saying, needs are different experiences, and we can have a conversation about that right, the other thing that drives me mad, and I've got a lot of things to get off my chest. Yeah, if you can tell for it, I'm on a roll the thing that pisses me off about Newsnight so much. And I put this on Twitter today because and I've I've been trying to take a bit of a Twitter.
Speaker 2: Holiday for the last couple of days.
Speaker 6: But before the book came out, the first big story that I wanted to really a poor Openden, A poor Ovenden was at the time the book came about the chief of the head of Strategy at Number ten. He'd being in the Labor Comm's department for a long time, and I had these messages from twenty fourteen twenty fifteen where he's saying utterly despicable things about dyna Abbot. He's recounting he's telling another female staff for white female staffer in this conversation, recounting basically getting drunk while other stuff as the night before then having a game of you know, sex Mary kill about Dynabot and then make me sexualized comments about it.
Speaker 2: Really quite disgusting stuff.
Speaker 6: This stuff is plainly in the public interest, right, and we know it's the public interest because when I took it to a proper news outlet, they actually published it and immediately he resigned.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Right, And the reason it's in the public interest because you can't have somebody who's their head of strategy saying these things about black people and about Dyne Abert. Right now, the first people I took that story to was Newsnight. You know, I took the story to them, I think it was in August last year, and for six weeks Newsnight told me they were interested, they didn't run the stock and every conversation I had, and I'm not going to name the person I aspected was like, all very nice and icy, and we think it's such an important story, but we're having editorial discussions. We're having editorial discussions. We're having editorial discussions. And by the end of it, I basically got the message was like, you're just not going to touch this. Then I went to ITV the around it in three days.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: So Newsnight has a consistent pattern of misrepresenting and misreporting on Dynabo and not giving the alternative version.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: So, even in that platform, even in that panel right there, five six white people talking about racism, why on earther's in Martin Martin Ford on that panel. Martin Ford has repeatedly been asked to give, you know, discussions about Dynamic. He's worked at DYNAB, He's helped her to try and navigate some of her disability issues.
Speaker 2: Why isn't he being brought on board to discuss this issue?
Speaker 6: Instead we have this entirely tone deaf discussion which misrepresents what Dynaber says. The other thing, you know, really the reason she was resuspended is because of the BBC, because what actually happened at that moment is if you listen to that interview, it's plain what she's saying. The BBC clipped in Socials to make it sound like she was saying she didn't regret sending their letter, which wasn't true, and immediately as that happened, she was suspended again. There was a direct line between them posting of a misleading thing on socials and Dynaba being suspended.
Speaker 4: So we have a.
Speaker 6: Situation where they are repeatedly misrepresenting what she says. They're getting people on board who I am also I think giving the worst faith interpretation of what she has to say. They are giving no countervailing opinions. There's not a single person on that panel who's not white to speak about it. And this is also in the context in which they have been given hard evidence of a serious misconduct by a senior labor official in government, a buy down abbot, and they haven't run that story. Like I don't think at this point I'm looking at something. This is not a nice, lettered incident. This is a cultural problem within Newsnight that they are for some reason unable to report accurately and sensitively on this issue. And if they were able to report accurately incentives issue, it wouldn't be in half an hour, half and half of the episode. It'd be a two minute discussion. And part of that discussion would be this person has said two things in their life, two things in a life that's eighty years long, that you don't like on social media, and you think there counts more than eighty years of anti racist practice, I mean there's outrageous sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: It's outrageous stuff.
Speaker 6: And the BBC really should be ashamed of their conduct, should be ashamed of they conduct. Back in twenty twenty back in twenty twenty four, Syhu to spend it They should be ashamed of what they did there.
Speaker 1: Paul, thank you very much for that, and thank you for joining me tonight, and thanks everyone for tuning in. Come back on Monday for another live stream from six pm. For now you've been watching Navari Media.
Speaker 2: Good night,