Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App k f I and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: I'm all about a good wake up call you host.
Speaker 4: Amy Kay.
Speaker 5: Good Monday morning to you.
Speaker 1: This is your wake up call for October twenty first, I'm Amy King.
Speaker 5: We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app, and a good Monday morning it is if you're a Dodgers fan.
Speaker 1: Stayed up late listening to the game because I still can't watch it on TV because I don't have FS one on my DirecTV and refuse to pay one hundred and fifty dollars to get the Sports Bundle. But now that they're in the World Series, I think it's going to be on regular TV. I'm sure hoping for it. But what a great win, so fun. So go Dodgers. And with that, here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. Oh, the Dodgers are headed to the World Series. It's for the fourth time in the past eight years. They beat the Mets ten to five last night at Dodgers Stadium to take the National League Championship Series four games to two. The Yankees and Dodgers World Series starts at Dodgers Stadium Friday night. The US is investigating the leak of two top secret documents showing American intel detailing possible Israeli plans for an attack on Iran. Two US officials say the leak to documents look real and that national security damage is confined, but the evaluation is still evaluating or underway.
Speaker 5: The evaluation is evaluating nice.
Speaker 1: The documents were leaked on the social media app Telegram on Friday. With a twenty twenty four election just over two weeks away, millions of Americans have already cast their ballots. As of yesterday, more than thirteen point seven million registered voters have already cast ballots either in person or by mail. In the US, more than forty one million mail in and early in person votes have been requested nationally. We're going to check in to see what both candidates have been up to, first with ABC's Karen Travers, who's following Vice President Harris. That's at five oh five, and then a little later this hour with Stephen Portnoy, who's tracking former President Trump. So let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour Newsroom.
Speaker 5: Oh back to the Dodgers. They're on their way to the World Series.
Speaker 1: With a ten to five win against the Mets in last night's Game six of the National League Championship Series. They clinch the series four games to two and will take on the Yankees in the World Series. Manager Dave Roberts's the players have fought like heck to get here.
Speaker 6: That that's what got us over the top of the DS and also what led into the fact allowed us to finish these guys off in six games.
Speaker 1: This will be the twenty second time the Dodgers have been in the World Series. Game one is Friday night at Dodger Stadium. A Jeep suv is crashed into a high school football field and Torrens Police say the suv was speeding down Intradero Avenue on Saturday afternoon when the driver lost control, crashed into a fence, went airborne, and then landed on the track during a youth soccer game at West Hill High School.
Speaker 5: The driver was taken to the hospital. No one on the field was hurt.
Speaker 1: Pharmacy clerks and techs at CVSS are striking at seven stores in LA and Orange County. Their union is pushing for a new contract. They alleged CVS as using unfair labor practices. Store officials say they are negotiating in good faith and have already reached tentative deals with the United Food and Commercial Workers Local seven to seventy on several issues. The union represents nearly seven thousand CVS workers, and its members have been on the picket line since Friday. A man from Van Nuy's is due to be sentenced for using the dark net to sell hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of pills in cocaine laced with fentanel. He and a co defendant were charged in May of last year with conspiring to sell fentanyl and coke to buyers around the US. The ring leader is due to be sentenced in an LA court this afternoon. A former La City councilman says the city needs State Proposition thirty three.
Speaker 7: The Realy City Council is set to consider endorsing a yes vote on Prop thirty three, which would allow for more local control on rent increases. Ex Councilman Paul Koretz spoke in favor of it at city hall last week.
Speaker 3: What allow cities to maintain affordable housing at current rates. It's critical that we start to get a handle on homelessness.
Speaker 7: The city Council is expected to vote on a symbolic endorsement of Prop. Thirty three at its meeting tomorrow. Opponents have argued it would discourage developers from building all the needed housing in the state in downtown La Michael mun Ki if I News.
Speaker 1: Hurricane Oscar has made landfall in Cuba. Meteorologist Danny Beckstrom says it comes as the island nation copes with a massive power blackout.
Speaker 8: It makes a U turn heads toward the southeast Bahamas as it weakens, with no threat to the US.
Speaker 5: She says.
Speaker 1: Temperatures are expected to go up again this week in many parts of the US, and record highs are likely in some places. Here in southern California, forecasters are predicting warming temperatures, particularly in Riverside County, with the mercury getting into the high nineties by Wednesday. Yeah, mid October feels like September, feels like August, feels like July. Gaza health officials say at least eighty seven people have been killed in an intense Israeli bombardment. The Health Ministry says they expect the number of dead to rise after it says Israeli forces hit residential buildings in northern Gaza. UN officials say Israel is intensifying its assault on northern Gaza, forcing thousands to flee a key refugee camp. This comes days after Israeli forces killed Hamas leader Yeah Yah Sinwar, temporarily raising hopes for a possible cease fire.
Speaker 5: It's five seven on your wake up call.
Speaker 1: Let's say good morning to ABC's Karen Travers. So, Karen, we're headed into the home stretch. Both candidates are pulling out all the stops, So we're going to check in on what former President Trump is up to with Stephen Portnoy a little later. You get to go first. We have you to tell us what Vice President Harris has been up to and where she was over the weekend.
Speaker 8: I like that, and I'm going to tell him that I got to go first too.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 8: Brag about that she was in Georgia on Sunday visiting historically black churches. And this is part of, you know, a significantly stepped up effort over the last week that we've seen her in the battle ground states, really hitting hard against Donald Trump, doing more of his clips at her rallies, you know, showing his own words at her events to get her crowd going, and bringing out some more star power at her events, whether it's Usher, Liz O, Stevie Wonder or this week she's going to have Brock and Michelle Obama doing her out on the campaign trail in the battleground states. Fifteen days Togo, everything feels like it's really starting to get dialed up. And today she's going to be in the Blue Wall States, traveling to Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin. And today the strategy is interesting. She's going to be joined by former Republican Congresswoman Liz Cheney for a series of conversations. These aren't big rallies, but more of a sit down in each state, take some questions and talk about policy proposals, part of an effort to reach out to independence and Republicans and peel them away from former President Donald Trump. Remember we talked about this when Cheney campaigned with Harris earlier this month in Wisconsin. She said she's supporting her because she will support the Constitution, and she said that this is the first time she's ever cast her vote for a Democrat in a presidential.
Speaker 1: Election, which is so interesting the whole just again, I think people switched parties all the time, but Liz Cheney is generally not very progressive.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and she, you know, when she did that event, she was like, you know, I was doing campaign rallies as a kid, Like this is part of her. Her whole upbringing was Republican party politics. So for her to come out and I think it's notable, you know, not just come out and say I am not supporting Donald Trump up supporting Vice President Harris. She's also doing work, you know, she is out there on the road doing these events with her and trying to drum up support for the vice president. I mean, it's really kind of going the extra mile there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And you mentioned the star power, so to.
Speaker 1: If passed, does any indicator does the star power really do anything?
Speaker 8: You know, it's not clear if it does. I think, you know, let's take, for example, the Taylor Swift endorsement. Does that change minds? We had some polling that came out right afterwards and said no, not necessarily. But what it did do is drove people to register to vote. I mean, the numbers skyrocketed on the voting website that Taylor Swift had linked to, where people were then going and registering. So there's a benefit for an endorsement or a celebrity support for something like that. The Obama's being out there on the campaign trail is significant because you know they're there to try and make sure that Democrats are voting, you know, people who are kind of like, I don't know, I'm not feeling it. They need to make sure that her numbers are just as high as Joe Biden's in twenty twenty, if not higher, among certain demographic groups in certain areas. So you're going to see her, excuse me, out on the trail with Barack Obama in Georgia on Thursday and then in Michigan with the former First Lady on Saturday.
Speaker 1: Well, and it'll be interesting because, like when you look at who's out there, like you would think that the Obamas would have an effect. And like you said that, after Taylor Swift endorsed, they got a ton of people to sign up. Will those translate into votes or are they just now registered voters that aren't going to do anything about it? Right?
Speaker 8: And that's what you need to make sure. You've got to follow up with all those people. And this is where you have those you know, high profile Democrats like the Obama's out there with a message of you know, as we heard from Michelle, excuse me at the convention, you have to do something. You've got to do the hard work. You've got to, you know, talk to your neighbors, make sure they have a plan to vote. You know, they're out there as attack dogs against Donald Trump, but also as here is how you do it, and get your fellow Democrats or people who could be like minded to also get out there and get on this support now.
Speaker 1: And then, Karen, tell me if you've noticed this, because I was watching I was watching all the shows, of course, including this Week with George Stefanoppolos yesterday, And what the pundans are saying and what I've seen.
Speaker 5: Too is she is less joyful these days, and Harris.
Speaker 1: Is like digging in to hammer that message home, as opposed to just saying, hey, we're the party of joy and happiness.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, there's certainly an urgency to her message, and she is really punching back harder maybe against Trump than just a couple of weeks ago and doing it I think in a very specific way. You know, Friday, they were really going after him, saying that you know, he was exhausted, unfit, couldn't handle it out there on the campaign trail, and he fired right back. But you know, over the weekend in Georgia, we saw her say, you know, the voters have to decide do we want to be a country of chaos, fear and hate or a country of freedom, compassion and justice. And I think that's a big theme for her over the next fifteen days. And you know, is that joyful?
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 8: It depends on how you frame it, I guess, but there's certainly an urgency about what she says. The stakes are right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, And she's in Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin today and then did they keep up this sort of breakneck speed schedule for two weeks?
Speaker 8: Really?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 8: Back in Pennsylvania for a CNN town hall this week and then back out on the trail. She's with Obama in Georgia on Thursday, Michelle in Michigan on Saturday, and events in between.
Speaker 5: Of course, Well, I have a feeling you and I are going to be talking a lot in the next couple of weeks. They all right, Karen's.
Speaker 8: Congratulations on baseball.
Speaker 5: Oh, thank you, thank you. We're very excited.
Speaker 8: I bet it's a very great series.
Speaker 5: All right, thanks Karen, have a good day. All right.
Speaker 1: We're going to find out what former President Trump is up too with ABC Stephen Portnoy. That's coming up at five point fifty and apparently it included a trip to McDonald's. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Officials in Georgia are investigating what went wrong with a three year old ferry doc that collapsed, killing at least seven people.
Speaker 5: This man was on the gangway just before it gave way.
Speaker 4: I felt this slide like going backways. John leaked and jumped in. The two girls behind me.
Speaker 10: They fell in.
Speaker 4: The whole rap fell.
Speaker 1: The people who died were all senior citizen sins, ranging in age from seventy three to ninety three. A Social security analyst says, despite the cost of living adjustments being the smallest in the last four years, most people who rely on them should see some benefits. The Social Security Administration has announced the cost of living increase for twenty twenty five will be two and a half percent. Vice President of Government Affairs at AARP, Jen Jones says that means an average rise in Social Security payments of forty eight dollars, which should help people cover the cost of gas and groceries.
Speaker 5: The COLA is an annual increase, so this reliable extra income. It matters a lot, especially to those unfixed income, but it's not a game changer, she says.
Speaker 1: In California, more than six million people are on Social Security. Billionaire Elon Musk is offering people even more money in swing states to sign his conservative, leaving leaning Constitution petition.
Speaker 9: Musk announced his pro Trump super pac would be awarding one million dollars to a random signee every day from now until the election. Initially launched the petition and referral offer program in early October, offering people forty seven dollars for sign ups and referrals. Now he's offering Pennsylvania voters one hundred dollars to sign the petition that pledges their support of the Constitution's First and second amendments. Mosk says his goal is to get between one and two million voters to sign up sign ups and Monday at midnight.
Speaker 5: How the Brooker KFI news.
Speaker 1: Cher, Foreigner, Peter Frampton, Ozzy Osbourne, and Cool in the Gang are among the artists inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and a ceremony Saturday night in Cleveland. Jimmy Buffett and Mary Jake Blige, along with Dean Warwick, we're among the artists honored for musical excellence. ABC plans to air the induction ceremony on January first. Well, that seems like a long delay, doesn't it. Of course, the Dodgers clinched and win the National League Championship Series. What a game, A slugfest, you know what. I am just I would rather have had them win in four. But the stress in the excitement, it was so cool. And and then you know they win at home, which they haven't done for a while.
Speaker 5: So awesome. Four games left to go, guys. Here's what we're following in the KFI twenty four hour newsroom.
Speaker 1: Some shaken in the Southland. Three quakes rumbled in the ocean off Catalina Island. The first was a three point one that hit at four to eleven yesterday afternoon, followed a few minutes later by a two point five, which probably means you didn't feel it, and then there was a three point six At five point thirty two. A Hollywood prop storage facility is burned near the Hollywood Burbank Airport. The fire yesterday afternoon sent up a big plume black smoke. Took firefighters about an hour to put it out. LA Fire says Cruise were able to keep the fire from spreading to a nearby commercial building. Smile two has scared away the competition at the box office. The horror sequel took in about twenty three million dollars in its opening weekend. The Wild Robot, which is now also available to renter by on streaming, came in second. It got in about eleven million dollars, and then another horror movie, Terrifier three, finished third. I didn't know there was even a Terrifier one and two. At six oh five, it's handled. On the news, thirty thousand Boeing workers may be about to strike a deal to end the five week old strike. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Giordana Miller in Jerusalem. Good morning, Giordana, So Hezbola may be down, but they're not out. They fired more than one hundred rockets in Israel yesterday and apparently not just into fields and unpopulated areas.
Speaker 3: Marshall Hasbola on average has been firing about two hundred missiles and rockets and drones a day. That's been the average for almost two weeks now, and it seems to be the new normal, especially on the Haifa, the city of Haifa, in the district of Haifa, where they're about a million Israelis. And on Saturday, Hasbala claimed a drone strike that was aiming for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Natanya's vacation home in the city of Czaria that's off the coast north of Tel Aviv, and the Israeli Army admitted that there was a security breach and that that drone actually crashed down in the city. We don't know how close it got to the Prime Minister's residence, but it underscores the real challenge that the one of the best armies in the world. You know, they still face a major challenge from these drones. They are small, they fly low, they're hard to detect, but they are deadly. They can switch their flight paths and they can be very precise in where they're going again, making them quite dangerous. So this one was crashed down. Understand, the Prime Minister was not at home. He was at pierced here in Jerusalem, and he put out a statement. He called it a grave mistake that Huzbala tried to assassinate him, and he said that you know, Husbala will pay a heavy price. They have been paying a heavy price really for weeks now. The Israeli Army has been pummeling not only Hasbala targets in southern Lebanon and sending ground troops in, but also in Beirut in Hasbella stronghold there. And for the first time overnight we saw the Israeli Army hit what they call Hasbalah linked financial institutions. There's a bank, a lending institution that was set up by Husbala some years back, and it has branches in Beirut and throughout southern Lebanon, and Israel went after those buildings and branches overnight, hitting them, saying that this is part of the lifeline to Hasbalah is to operate through these through these financial institutions.
Speaker 1: So I'm curious with everything online and digital now is that even if you blew up the banks, does that really disrupt things because you know, money isn't really money anymore, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's a good question. I think there's no doubt that it's still you know, a blow to Zala, that these headquarters and Schmidt and these branches that some ordinary Lebanese also just supportives of Haswali youth, you know, are no longer you know, they're no longer open for business. And it's truth. There's a lot that happens online. But I think this is Israel's way of expanding the targets against Hazla from its leadership and its fighters and its military assets in southern Lebanon and it's you know, weapons storage site to now its financial lines, and I think we will continue to see that in the in the weeks.
Speaker 5: Ahead, okay.
Speaker 1: And then moving over to Gaza, the Gaza Health Ministry, which is run by Hamas of course, is saying that almost one hundred were killed in Gaza just yesterday.
Speaker 5: I believe.
Speaker 3: The army carried out a series of strikes in Jabalia. This is a refugee camp that is still still seething with or we should say, there's still a very strong Hamas insurgency inside this refugee camp, and Israel carried out Israel carried out several bombings on this camp and unfortunately there were also you know, according to the Hamas run the Health Ministry, over eighty eighty people were killed, including children and women.
Speaker 4: And again we see again and again that.
Speaker 3: The people of Gaza are paying such a heavy price for this war because Hamas embeds itself in every nook and cranny of the Gaza Strip and now more than ever, as they try to survive as an insurgency, their leader, Yaka Seymour, has just been killed by Israel a few days ago. That disrupts them again and they're they're trying to hold on in some fashion, and that means that they operate everywhere, including refugee camps, including mosques, including homes, including even the humanitarian zone. Right we've seen We've seen Hamas carry out strikes from there, We've seen them hold hostages there inside the humanitarian zone. So this is you know, this continues to be, you know, a tragic war for the people of Gaza, who will no doubt be relieved, you know, when this war ends, and we can only pray it will be soon, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Jerdana Miller and Jerusalem, thank you so much for the information. As always, we will talk to you again soon. Nearly twenty four hundred mental health professionals at Kaiser Permanente could go on strike as soon as today in southern California. The National Union of Healthcare Workers is the reason for a strike is that Kaiser doesn't have enough staff needed to give timely care, and a lot of workers have to work overtime to cover the shortage. A spokeswoman for Kaiser says they don't think a strike is necessary and that an agreement can be reached. Long Beach has plans to spend nearly a billion dollars on infrastructure ahead of the twenty twenty eight Summer Olympic Games.
Speaker 11: A large portion of that one billion dollars will likely go towards non Olympic projects like maintenance of public spaces and the building of homeless shelters.
Speaker 4: Plans to improve of that locations.
Speaker 11: Were released last year, and about two hundred and ten million will go towards actual infrastructure. As of yesterday, eight Olympic events had been scheduled in the city, including rowing, water polo, and sailing Several events will be held at the Arena and Marine Stadium, while others will take place on the waterfront. Mayor Rex Richardson says the Olympics is a huge opportunity for the entire region. Chris Adler kea Fine News.
Speaker 1: Heavy rainfall in New Mexico over the weekend has caused severe flooding. ABC's Rheanon Alley says at least two people have been killed and three hundred others have had to be rescued by the National Guard.
Speaker 10: Record breaking rainfall triggered the flash flooding, streets turned into rivers, passengers stranded on top of their vehicles floating down roads.
Speaker 1: She says the city of Roswell got nearly a third of its annual rainfall in just a few hours. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has released its forecast for this winter. It says it expects a La Nina weather pattern will develop, meaning that winter storms will likely spread further to northern parts of the US, while southern state will be drier and warmer than normal. Climate scientists at NOAH say California shouldn't have any issues with drought in twenty twenty five and northern California might even get more rain than normal. Well, that is certainly a positive sign. When we come back, do you dress your pets up for Halloween? If you must, we might be able to help. The Dodgers have earned their spot in the World Series. They won the National League Championship Series with a ten to five win over the Mets last night. The win sets up a Dodgers Yankees series starting Friday at Dodgers Stadium. It'll be the twelfth World Series meeting between the two franchises, but they're first since nineteen eighty one. Vice President Harris and former President Trump have spent their Sundays campaigning in Georgia. In Pennsylvania, there are just over two weeks left until the election, and polls show the candidates are running neck and neck both nationally and in the election to siding swing states. Today is the deadline to register to vote in the November fifth election. If you miss the deadline, you can still cast your ballot in person. It's a provisional ballot that would be done on election day. So far, nearly two million people of return ballots by mail. In California. The Secretary of State says her office has a link to track when ballots are received and counted. At six oh five, it's handle on the news sixty minutes is firing back after being caught editing part of its interview with Vice President Harris. At five point fifty, the former president said something he's probably not said before.
Speaker 5: Do you want fries with that?
Speaker 1: We'll be checking in with ABC's Stephen Portnoy, and that's coming up before the top of the hour. So, you know, Halloween is just a week and a half away, and getting your costumes together, and so we started talking around the office about whether we dress our pets up. So and just sent me a picture. We got to post this and producer and sent a picture of her little puppies and said, see if you can tell what it is, Well, it's her dogs and they have like ginormous dog tags on it.
Speaker 5: That say you kind of have to see it. You have to see it. It's in a heart shape with a ty tie on it. She's like, do you know what that is? I'm like, your babies are beanie babies. Like when you look at it, you're like, oh my god. And it's the easiest costume ever. I love that.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and so do you dress them up every year pretty much because it's so easy now they make it so easy to do that, and it's so fun and cute. We even had a rabbit that we would dress up. Oh and a horse. We dress up our horse too. What do you dress the horse as?
Speaker 13: You have to make that costume and it's big and it's gigantic, and yeah, it's very cute.
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 13: But like a witch's hat on them? Okay, and put like, yeah, like that kind of thing, a black blanket on him, just kind of you know, improvise. So you said that, and you can make the tail like the broom, hell, the broom. You know, I don't know that's a great idea.
Speaker 5: We did not do that. Oh okay, so you said it's super easy, and I know that I have not dressed up my cat for Halloween. Wow, you're a nice mom. But I did dress them up for Christmas.
Speaker 1: So and then I was thinking, you can just go get costumes anywhere and they're pretty easy, like and pet Smart has a whole thing about costumes and they have them for like a pretty decent price.
Speaker 5: Like there's a for the dog.
Speaker 1: You can get the classic the hot dog, which I always love seeing a dog dressed up like a hot dog. I think it's adorable. And you can get there's monster costumes. I mean, nothing says Halloween like a cat dressed up like a monster, right, and then the Spider costumes are always really cool and they're like for twenty bucks or less and they yeah, and then there's a skeleton dress.
Speaker 5: Okay, and this is okay.
Speaker 1: I can't I can't show them to all of you, but I can show it to the group in the studio. It's a guinea pig.
Speaker 5: Where's my camera?
Speaker 1: It's a guinea pig with an alien costume on that I don't know. I think it's kind of cruel and unusual. But I dressed Alex up as a Christmas tree. It's adorable. I'm gonna we should post these. We'll post these on my Instagram at Amy K King and I'll do that in the next hour or so.
Speaker 5: Okay, and then Elmer, what about you.
Speaker 6: Scrappy has been Spider Man for like the past five years.
Speaker 5: Is Scrappy the dog?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Scrapy's my dog. Mango hasn't had a costume yet. She's my cat, but uh, Scrappy has been Spider Man for five years in a row. I just haven't bottom in your costume. Okay, it works.
Speaker 1: It is adorable, and I swear you know how like they were like, oh, dogs and cats don't really have expressions.
Speaker 5: Mine does.
Speaker 1: And he just like sits there, like really, he's really cute, So I mean, he just kind of sits there. It's actually he's kind of frozen, which was very fitting because he was a Christmas tree so he shouldn't have been moving much. But yeah, anyway, so pet Smart has a bunch of stuff and they've got toys and treats for Halloween and that kind of stuff. So if you're looking just to do it and it's not a huge investment, it's like ten twenty bucks and they have pictures of it. There's some really cute ones. And then a couple of things to remember for your pets for Halloween stuff that we all know, but it's time for your refresher course. Keep chocolate, gum, candy, anything baked away from your pets. Keep the whole trick or treat bag away from your pets. But they do have pets safe treats if you must. If you must, they have those two. And make sure if you are going to dress your pet up that the costume fits, because, like we said, I don't think they probably love them. I think dogs are probably a little more receptive than the cats. But just make sure they fit so that they're not tripping over anything. And if it's a nervous time for you your dog with people coming up to the door and ringing the doorbell, maybe go keep them.
Speaker 5: In a separate room. My dog always barked like crazy and then just sat there.
Speaker 1: He sounded like a good guard dog because he had this big, vicious, dark bark, but he wasn't. He would have just loved you up and kissed you to death.
Speaker 5: So anyway, so if you.
Speaker 1: Want to Halloween costumes, pet smart, good place to go, lots of fun. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom.
Speaker 5: Shall we you see able? Let me start that over you.
Speaker 1: Cla police are investigating a possible hate crime that happened off of the university campus over the weekend.
Speaker 9: Early Saturday morning, police say five university students were sitting on a bus bench outside a Chick fil A on Westwood Boulevard when a dark collared suv drove by the driver allegedly shouted an ethnic slur and the front passenger threw an open water bottle, hitting one of the victims. No one was seriously hurt. The suspects were described there's three men in their twenties. UCLA Police Department is urging anyone with information to come forward as they were to gather additional details.
Speaker 5: Heather Brooker okay I find News.
Speaker 1: A commercial building in Sherman Oaks has been damaged by fire. It started at around two am in the five thousand square foot building on West Ventura Boulevard. LA Fire says firefighters found an outside fire that had spread into the back of the single story building. They were able to knock it down in about thirty minutes. The US says it is investigating a possible classified intelligence leak. Documents are posted online, apparently analyzing potential Israeli plans for a retaliatory strike on Iran. Meantime, Israel has confirmed an IDF commander was killed in a battle in northern Gaza, and this IDF reservist says he thinks the war needs to end now.
Speaker 14: What we are doing and what we have been doing in Gaza for the past year is deeply moral, deeply wrong, and need to be stopped.
Speaker 1: He says the war and human and suffering in Gaza will only lead to more violence. The White House is set to start what's being called the Reimagined White House Tour. At a dinner last night, First Lady Jill Biden said the enhanced experience will let visitors touch here and see their history up close. President Biden says, the history of the White House belongs to all Americans.
Speaker 10: Make sure we learn the good, the bad, the truth of who we are as a people in America.
Speaker 4: We don't erase history. We celebrate history, and that's what's great things to do.
Speaker 1: The First Lady says, tour goers, we'll learn about the sculptors from Italy who created White House carvings, as well as the enslaved African Americans who helped build the White House. Ever been on a White House tour? If you can, it's pretty cool. I think they're hard to get, but it's very very impressive. And I know, like when I went to Washington, DC. If you've ever been there, I don't know how you felt about it, but I just felt the whole time like, Wow, some really important things happened. Here like you just get this sense of how amazing the United States is. So if you haven't gone to DC, I highly recommend it. If you have, I think you know what I'm talking about. Right, Here's what else we're talking about.
Speaker 15: Albus wings so bouncer a second Taylor has it in the glove.
Speaker 3: Over.
Speaker 16: The Dodgers win the Pennant Fireworks champions of the National League.
Speaker 15: In twenty twenty four. The Dodgers are.
Speaker 4: Going back to the World Series.
Speaker 15: Fireworks going off in center field, the Model Dodgers on the right side of the infield. The bullpen has poured in staff streaming out of the dugout. The Dodgers beat the Mets ten to five in Game six. It'll be New York in.
Speaker 1: LA in the World Series day in five to seventy making the Calls have four more games to go to win it all. Of course, they beat the Mets again ten to five in Game six last night, and they're going to be taking on the New York Yankees starting this Friday, October twenty fifth, at Dodgers Stadium for Game one of the World Series.
Speaker 5: First pitch goes out at four.
Speaker 1: You can listen to the game live from the Galpin Motors broadcast booth on AM five to seventy LA Sports and in HD on the iHeartRadio app keyword AM five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 5: Here's what we're following in the KFI twenty four hour newsroom.
Speaker 1: More than two thousand Kaiser Permanente therapists, psychologists, and other mental health professionals could go on strike starting today. Kaiser officials say they think they can reach a deal without a work stoppage. Workers want improvements to the behavioral health system so patients don't have to wait so long to get care. With a twenty twenty four election just over two weeks away, millions of Americans have already cast ballots. As of yesterday, more than thirteen point seven million registered voters have you they're voted in person or by mail. A powerball ticket sold in Riverside County came this close to winning the big one. The ticket sold at a Chevron and Lake Elson Or matched five of the six winning numbers. No one won the jackpot on Saturday, so the big prize for tonight's drawing is up to four hundred and fifty six million dollars.
Speaker 5: We're just minutes away from a.
Speaker 1: Handle on the news this morning, mail carriers will soon be riding in style thanks to a new deal they've reached with the US Postal Service. Right now, it's five fifty three, let's say good morning too, ABC's Stephen Portnoy. So, Stephen, we talked with Karen Travers about what VP Harris has been up to. So let's turn our attention now to former President Trump and what he was up to over the weekend.
Speaker 14: Sure, the former president spent the whole weekend in Pennsylvania. He was in Latrobe on Saturday, got a lot of attention for what he said about Arnold Palmer and you can google it if you like. I won't delve into it here. And then he also said something that was vulgar and profest about Kamala Harris that I can't repeat, having to do with her vice presidency being lousy.
Speaker 4: Used a word that rhymes with spit. You can google that too.
Speaker 14: But of course, the big headline of the weekend I think was where the pictures coming out of his stop at a McDonald's outside of Philadelphia and Bucks County.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he said for the first time something that he probably has never uttered before.
Speaker 5: Do you want fries with that.
Speaker 4: Look.
Speaker 14: You know, it's funny he would have if he had taken orders. But no, there were no orders taken, and that was why. You know, it's important as you watch the video. As impressive as it is, and I've been covering politics for a while, this is one of the more impressive photo ops that I've seen. But you know, there's no world in which the Secret Service is going to let some random McDonald's customer drive their car up to the window.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to be handed food by Donald Trump. That's not how it works.
Speaker 5: But he was handing stuff out, wasn't he.
Speaker 4: Yes, of course I would listen, and he was a Secret Service guys.
Speaker 14: Well, no, no, they were voters. But the point is or they were American citizens. I mean, they were people who were selected in advance. There's no doubt about that, right, I mean, because there's again it involves a level of pre screening. The restaurant itself was closed, and I don't want to parse it too much. I mean, it's a photo op, but you know, when beyond the pictures, there's a bit of a you know, substance to get into here. Reporters were brought in to ask the former president questions as he stood out and sort of leaned outside the drive through window. One of the reporters asked whether he believes that people who work at McDonald should get a minimum wage increase, and he dodged the question. So it was an opportunity for Donald Trump to demonstrate a bit of his common touch and also to troll Kamala Harris, because he and his campaign have been alleging that Harris has been lying for years when she says that she worked at a McDonald's in the Bay Area when she was in college, when she was at home for the summer from her time at American univer I'm sorry, Howard University here in Washington. And so you know, the Harris campaign is like, look, Donald Trump's lying when he says that Harris is lying.
Speaker 4: That there is no ability for the.
Speaker 14: McDonald's corporation or a franchisey to dig back into their records from the early nineteen eighties to prove.
Speaker 4: So it's it's you know, there's birtherism and there's burgerism. According to the New York Times, right stealing their lead here.
Speaker 14: But the bottom line is Donald Trump went yesterday not just to put on a show, which he did do, but also to try to troll Harris. He came away from it saying that he has fifteen minutes more experience working at McDonald's.
Speaker 4: Than she does.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, it was I agree. It was kind of a cool photo up.
Speaker 1: You know what it got me thinking, though, Stephen, is about they do the things where everybody goes into a stupid ice cream shop and goes, oh, aren't we normal? I'm like, who do you know who goes into an ice cream shop anymore? I don't unless you're like on vacation.
Speaker 14: Sure, I mean, you know, I've been known to have this, you know, cone or two, but you have I haven't. Well, I mean, you know, to each your own. But the bottom line is, you know, these retail stops, as they are known, are meant to kind of sort of put on display a candidate's ability to interact with average people. And sometimes it goes pretty well. I think yesterday's photo op with Trump was a successful one. And then there are ones that come off a bit awkward, looking like George Herbert Walker Bush at a supermarket checkout being, you know, marveling at the barcode scanner because it'd never been at a supermarket and which had one, and then questioning the price of broccoli or whatever, and then well you know and look so so Trump yesterday had two objectives again, the first to demonstrate that he could don an apron and work the friar. He did do that, although I think if you watch the video, it seems to me he put too much salt on the fries, and I think that the crew member was surprised by how much salt Trump put on. But nevertheless he demonstrated he had no qualms with doing it. And beyond that, I think it's the whole element of trolling Harris again, propagating the conspiracy there. I guess now is the best way to describe it. That Harris never actually worked at McDonald's. The fact is, you know, she says she did, And the question is, how do you prove that somebody had an hourly job forty years ago without delving into the records, perhaps of the Solid Security Administration. I don't know how else you are able to offer any kind of documentary evidence of it.
Speaker 4: Maybe there's a photograph, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Well, she had to have worked with somebody.
Speaker 4: Well, that's fair.
Speaker 5: I worked at Wendy's and I have several people.
Speaker 14: And I worked at Blockbuster Video, and I could make a list of people who would attest to that twenty five years ago. So all of it is a good question. But also, you know, I mean, what can I say she says she worked there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and maybe it's just much ado about nothing, you know, maybe, but that's coming from both sides.
Speaker 4: So sure.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, I will imagine I would imagine we'll be talking to you several times in the next couple of weeks as we.
Speaker 5: Head to the big day.
Speaker 4: Looking forward to it.
Speaker 5: All right, Steven Portnoy, thanks so much.
Speaker 1: As always, all right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Federal investigators are looking into millions of Teslas that have the full self driving feature. About two point four million Tesla models SXY and cyber Truck are being investigated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration because there have been four crashes, One of them was fatal, involving the car driving itself. In each crash, reduced roadway visibility from sunglare fog or dust was reported, and that may have caused the Tesla to not be able to read the road. New research shows about eighty percent of companies have put return to office policies in place, but less than twenty percent are enforcing them. The study by real estate brokerage CBRE shows that a lot of employees do not want to go back to the office because they've been working remotely since the pandemic started four years ago. Sixty percent of employers say they want their employe he's in the office three or more days a week, but only thirty seven percent of workers show up one or two days a week. Huntington Beach could soon plant a Symphony of Flowers in central Park Eaes.
Speaker 17: The interactive light show, created by the co founder and director of Cirtasla, features one hundred thousand dazzling flowers with more than half a million led lights. A couple thousand people can walk through the display while enjoying the classical music immersive experience that started in Canada but has yet to bloom in the US. The Huntington Beach City Council voted last week to have staff prepare a report on if the six month show was right for the city.
Speaker 5: Corbin Carson KFI needs that sounds cool.
Speaker 1: This is KFI and KOSTHD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland weather from KFI Sonny with eyes in the seventies at the beaches, low to mid eighties for Metro La and Inland O c eighties to low nineties in the valleys and Inland Empire. Just seventies for the Anaelope Valley. Sunny tomorrow and Wednesday, with highsabout the same as today, maybe a couple degrees warmer. It'll cool down about five to ten degrees as we head toward the end of the week. It's fifty nine in Diamond Bar, fifty seven in Newport Beach, fifty four in Palmdale, and fifty seven in Torrents. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom.
Speaker 5: I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeart Radio app.