Speaker 1: The Force will be with you always.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to another episode of a Star Wars Alliance. Of course, I'm your host Clay, and with me like every single week. Of course is Katie.
Speaker 3: It's it's my fancy new apartment. Guys, you know, super exciting. No, I'm we are closed on my house. I'm living in my mother's basement, so uh. And this is a pre programmed stream yard background that we will be using for the sable future.
Speaker 2: I am empty, not completely moved out yet, but this is the last Star Wars Alliance that I will be doing in this apartment.
Speaker 4: I am leaving next week.
Speaker 2: But because of the heck, heck, heck, chaos words chaos boom, that's an even better word, because of the chaos of moving. I told I was like, I want to get packed up as soon as possible. And if I record on the Wednesday, literally two days before we're leaving, it means that I have to force myself to not pack up my setup. I really and and because of how I literally mapped out like I did a little like brain map in my head of what the storage unit is to look like in the trailer, and my desk literally has to be up against the wall, the back wall, and yeah, so I'm like, I am not going to force us to not pack anything just to do that.
Speaker 3: And that's why last week, guys, there was a pre recorded episode. And next week we will be releasing episode two of our new Jedi order. Yes, book Club that has been Patreon exclusive, and we're gonna be releasing an episode of that for you guys next week.
Speaker 2: Yes, we did release Victor Prime back in November. Now it'll be onslaught on on next week on the twenty five. Yeah, and then the next week, the first week of July, we will be live again and we will be talking about it'll be the start of our High Republic retro, which we will be doing by reader grade, So we will be doing the young readers, then the middle grade, and then the adult novels one at a time, not one at a time as far as like individual books, but we will be reading the arcs and we will be talking about how they are a coherent story without reading anything else. It'll be interesting because I think we've already talked about how.
Speaker 4: By that third like it was still Phase one, but it was Wave three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Wave three started to get a little convoluted, within their own like.
Speaker 4: Reading grade, so.
Speaker 2: It'll be interesting to see how all of that comes together. So the first week of July will start that and then yeah, we have a whole bunch of stuff planned for the rest of the year. I am also working on solidifying more of our schedule, so that'll be fun as well. But speaking of a topic for today is going to be the Star Wars twenty twenty five run, which is only ten issues long, and all ten issues are collected in this volume one. Now, before we actually go on to that topic, we do have some other smaller topics. The last time we spoke live anyway, we were talking about how there was going to be more footage and more conversation around Zero Company. We finally got it.
Speaker 4: We got a.
Speaker 2: Whole bunch of stuff on Zero Company. But we also got a reveal. There is a character model. It is not yet confirmed if it will be a playable character, whether in the story or like post story mode or whatever, but.
Speaker 4: We have a character model for Anakin Skywalker the Clone Wars.
Speaker 2: He was the very last frame of the of the trailer during the games or sorry, not the Game Awards. It was during Summer games Fest, and it was awesome. This game looks so cool. There is so much customization that you can do with every single character that joins your team. And what this does is it legitimately puts you in a point of getting attached to these characters. Because the way that this developer has created their games in the past, x com you can you know, get attached to these characters and then they die.
Speaker 4: And then you like you just lose that character.
Speaker 2: It's not like, oh, they die for this round and then you know the very next round they'll come back. That's not how that works. Like, once they die, they die for the rest of your game.
Speaker 4: We've also seen uh.
Speaker 2: One of like because it was really cool, Like if you watch the trailer, and I think I'll have to just send it to you. If you watch the trailer, there's like a frame where like your team is like running into battle. But they did a really cool montage of like all the combinations of like different characters can be in your team, as well as the customization customization of like uh outfits and stuff. Yeah, Like they did a really really cool like montage of them running in all the characters changing all at once into multiple characters. But the last frame of that montage is literally every single one of your teammates can be droids.
Speaker 3: Oh that it sounds like fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like you can you can make them all our units. I think that is so cool. So I am very, very, very excited about this game. This game does have a release date. The release date for Zero Company. Oh gosh, what was the release date for a zero Company? And let me look at it real quick. I forgot to write it down. Everything is releasing in September. Okay, I say everything, I mean like everything video game wise this year is releasing in September.
Speaker 3: And it's okay because all the romanticy stuff releases in September two.
Speaker 2: So well, like the reason why that is is because, and I know you're not a big gamer, but Grand Theft Auto Grand Theft Auto six is like the big that nobody wants to mess with.
Speaker 4: It is like the.
Speaker 2: Of like it's it's it's the Infinity War or the end game of this year. Ye, nobody wants to compete with it. So literally all of September is jam packed with like thirty games.
Speaker 4: It's kind of insane.
Speaker 3: But because Grant that Auto have been delayed like seven or eight times.
Speaker 2: Yes, uh, it's been delayed quite a bit, but this is like a solidified like, hey, we are going to release on this date, which is November. But actually zero Company actually has a release date of August twenty seventh, so right before September, so in literally one month, no, two months and a week, eight days, so a week in eight.
Speaker 3: Years, he said, eight days twenty What was the.
Speaker 4: Date again, August twenty seventh, so seventh, two months.
Speaker 3: I'll put that on our release calendar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, two months, one week and one day, which is gonna be super super fun.
Speaker 4: I am probably.
Speaker 2: Uh and I will have my entire setup yeah when I move, but it'll be like more established. I'm gonna try and stream a little bit more when I'm down back in Texas.
Speaker 3: That'd be fun because well.
Speaker 2: Abby mentioned because I mentioned about how many games are releasing in September and how many to buy in September, and she's like, didn't you just tell me that you had like a whole bunch.
Speaker 4: Of games that you have yet to play or yet to be I.
Speaker 2: Was like, technically yes, And the thing is I bought like almost ten years ago. Now I'm oh, my gosh, Actually it's twenty twenty six not ten years, eight years. I bought a giant steam like bundle.
Speaker 4: Of Star Wars games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and those are games that I have not played in almost twenty years. So I am going to be playing a lot of those games, which I think would be really fun to highlight some of that. And so once I'm down there, I'll start promoting my Twitch channel a little bit more and I have a little fun with that. But yeah, the other news that we got in gaming is a Fate of the Old Republic.
Speaker 4: Not Knights of the Old Republic, but Fate of the Old Republic.
Speaker 2: Is the newer game that was announced that was like the biggest bomb at the Game Awards last year.
Speaker 4: We now have.
Speaker 2: A narrative director who was the writer of Cyberpunk twenty seventy SEVENNKY seven had a a little bit of a rocky start when it was released as far as the video game.
Speaker 4: Goes, but I have heard very, very very good.
Speaker 2: Things on the writing of that video game, So this is something that people are really excited about. I have no history with this writer, so for him to be a narrative director is you know, pretty interesting. So we will keep you guys updated, uh with all of the fate of the old public updates, and I do apologize. This room is super hot and I was not going to turn off my AC so if you guys can hear that, I apologize. That is all of the gaming news that we have gotten in the last two weeks.
Speaker 4: But Katie, I did send you a message about a really nice looking book that is coming out fairly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so obviously we have feelings about special editions and delecte editions, Clay more so than I do. But the book in question, this is a little bit early for Ron, but they Star Wars is choosing to celebrate Drown's tenure anniversary slightly early with a stunning deluxe edition with complete with slipcover and everything. Let me see if it'll let me share this.
Speaker 2: Share. I don't even know that there was a YouTube video on it until I open the article.
Speaker 3: So this is the slip cover that is going to go alongside it, and then you can kind of see here, Oh I'm that is loud. Okay, now it's sharing my screen play, so you can see the sprayed edges with the Imperial logo, the little slip cover with the chest ascendency on the end, and like how he's cut out with a star destroyer. It's so pretty in the back. Oh, it's so nice looking. Oh this even got in papers. I love in papers. Anyways, that's it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, this releases in October with a price tag of fifty dollars.
Speaker 3: It's fifty bucks.
Speaker 4: Yes, it says right here. At a steep price of fifty dollars.
Speaker 2: Deluxe edition of Thron appears to be more of a collector's so they're they're kind of comparing it to Revenge of the Sith, the deluxe edition from the past year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like they didn't. There's no notations or anything in there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's literally just a deluxe edition.
Speaker 3: I could see like forty bucks fifty in this economy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love you.
Speaker 3: It's I love your random house worlds. That's not an automatic purchase for me as much as I love Thron.
Speaker 2: Now, I will have to double check because I wasn't opening it. But when I was showing you my signed copies of my Tron Tron, my Throng trilogy, remember one of like the very first pages of.
Speaker 4: One of the books was falling out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if it was Thron, if it was the first book, I could see myself saying I need to replace it anyway, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's nothing a little glue can't fix.
Speaker 2: True, true, and honest, honestly, with the amount of times that I will most likely not be going back to that book to constantly be opening and reading it, I could honestly just go to a random bookstore and grab another copy.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I love the sprayed edges. It's a gorgeous looking book.
Speaker 4: But again they're.
Speaker 2: They're saying they're saying it in the article like this is more of like a hey, this is to be on your shelf for decoration. Yeah, you know, and I applaud everybody who does do like I I've seen people on.
Speaker 4: On uh Instagram and on TikTok that like have an.
Speaker 2: Entire backdrop of their bookshelf and it's all sprayed.
Speaker 3: Edges, which is totally fine. But also a lot of those sprayed edges right now, like they're vary from like twenty to thirty bucks because Amazon and other places tend to have the special edition on sale. That's why I have so many sprayed edges is because I'm like, Okay, I don't really care about like a book like that much. I just want a copy of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I don't.
Speaker 3: Need a special edition. But the regular edition is thirty two dollars in the special edition like I got, I got right to the startlingk the deluxe edition for eighteen dollars, like I wonder.
Speaker 2: So here's here's the thing, though, is this gonna be a book that you could see going on sale very very soon after because of the fact that in this economy it may not fly off the shelf, you know.
Speaker 3: No, because it's probably very limited copies, and so they will probably at least I would say, hold the price until after the holidays, just because of that. Yeah, I like, because people might go, like I have plenty of people in my life who have bought me a random Star Wars book that was a special edition because they know that I'm not typically a special edition person, but they think that I would appreciate it. Yeah, and I'm not saying I don't, but that's just not something that I typically gravitate towards unless I'm like super in love with the book. Now, my one problem is that I have issues in all my books have to match in a series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So now it's it's a little bit of OCD for a lot of people who do collect books.
Speaker 4: So it's that joke of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like my Shield one, you know, yeah, you gotta buy it a fread, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know. But yeah, because like Rights of Starling is book two, they didn't make a standard edition. They only made the sprayed edges. Yeah, and so I bought Shield of Sparrows because I fell in love with Rates and Starling. So I was like, okay, I need Rates in Starling, but then I also need book one. Book one only came with plane edges, so it's like shame, shame.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm sure as soon as the anniversary comes up, they'll they'll throw out a spray Edges one for sure.
Speaker 4: Now our final small.
Speaker 3: Topic, well, hang on because I did find I was looking at the Utenei release schedule and there's another paper Cuts graphic novel being released and it's actually coming out July twenty first six, and it's by Delilah S. Dawson, who we love as an author. But this is actually a Mandalarian and Grogu prequel graphic novel where the Anzellins, Mando and Grogu have to join together to stop a hidden danger that looms deep beneath the surface of Navarro says Denjarn and his foundly venture into the lava tubes underneath the city to diffuse a crashed pirate ship, facing creepy creatures and periless obstacles along the way, but with the planet safety on the line, can Grogust learn to listen to Mando's guidance and can man do balance teaching Grogu with letting the little guys lead? So it looks like art is by Mario del Panino and Ariana Fluorine.
Speaker 4: This looks to be now. Uh it does say.
Speaker 2: Issue one, but these are usually graphic novels, so it's probably only going to be one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it says graphic novel.
Speaker 2: So but the really cool thing about paper Cuts, which is kind of why I love them so much because they're graphic novels, they're also doing alternate covers. So I will actually share my screen here and show you guys. This is cover a by Brent's shoon Over.
Speaker 4: Let's just.
Speaker 3: That's a six ninety nine, which makes me think it is a singular issue.
Speaker 2: Uh, they may have changed their format, but this is coming from the paper Cuts website because this isn't Yeah, it's original one shot comic. Okay, so it is. It is a small forty page. So so you have Brent Schooner, then you have Ariana Florine on cover B. Then you have Raymond russ Onas on cover C, which I think this is my favorite one, and then you have cover D.
Speaker 4: Juni Bah.
Speaker 2: Is more of like an action cover with yeah lava and them swinging over it. I think Cover C is my favorite. It looks very cartoonish, very silly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I I love paper Cuts. I've gushed about them before.
Speaker 2: I've worked with them several times in my previous job. Really great company and I will always shout them out when I can. But yeah, oven that they're doing more Star Wars content. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the other piece is that Hyperspace Stories Mace has gotten a release date. Oh and this is as a reminder. This is by just you Know Ireland. The art is by Jorge Duarte. I want to say, and this is available on Amazon, but uh, this is a trade paperback. This was a big announcement in like I think twenty twenty two that dark Horse was going to start doing this and then they all proceeded to get delayed. So this is Justina Ireland's last Star Wars work that is in the work. She said that she was done with Star Wars after this. We don't know if that like, hey, we're taking a break from Star Wars or just done done in general. So definitely will be a pickup for me because I'm excited to see her get to write Mace Findu.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we've we enjoyed the other two Hyperspace stories with being Grievous and Quai gon In. They were relatively they were just there was there was there was small little grapes that we had, but you know, they were still, like you said, decently written and and uh and created.
Speaker 4: So looking forward to it. Anything else on the book side.
Speaker 3: Of things, Nope, that's it. So all we got left to talk about is box office.
Speaker 4: Box office for the Mandalorian in Grogu.
Speaker 2: Now, Katie, we had a conversation the last time we spoke on this on if this movie was.
Speaker 4: Going to hit five hundred million.
Speaker 3: We said, it's not going to hit five hundred.
Speaker 4: We both agreed on that. We said it wasn't going to hit five hundred.
Speaker 3: You said it wasn't going to hit three hundred.
Speaker 2: It hit three hundred, It hit three hundred. It's not hitting four. I don't know if it's going to hit for It is currently at three hundred and sixteen million, six hundred and forty four thousand, fifty eight dollars on its twenty technically twenty seventh day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's still top. Like it just fell out of the top five at the box office. In this past week. It didn't experience as drastic of drop. It It was like holding a little more steady because I think so week two at the box office it dropped seventy percent, Week three it dropped fifty percent, So not as I have a drop, not as bad. Yeah, Internationally, we've got one hundred and fifty thousand dollars or one hundred and fifty million dollars, excuse me. And then domestically we've got one hundred and sixty six Sorry, that's that's my mother's dog. I don't know if you.
Speaker 4: Hear him that. It's hilarious.
Speaker 3: He likes to get light outside and then everybody he he thinks everybody left him. Anyways, domestic we have one hundred and sixty six point six million dollars. I can see through fifty. I don't see four hundred at this point.
Speaker 2: I don't see four hundred either and the reason being is tomorrow you have the start of Toy Story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you have Toy Stories start tomorrow, then you.
Speaker 4: Have superl is Supergirl.
Speaker 3: And then after that is Odyssey.
Speaker 2: You have Odyssey and then next month, guys, I don't know if you knew this, Katie.
Speaker 4: Spider Man Spider Man spider Man.
Speaker 2: Trailer dropped with the uh ticket sales being open mm hmm. I in good favor of Star Wars Alliance cannot go to the Wednesday showing because we record on Wednesdays and the Wednesday showing is at seven pm, so could not could not go there. All of the Wednesday and all of the Thursday showings are all sold out.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we knew, We knew Spider Man was gonna was gonna show.
Speaker 2: So I think Mandalorian Grogu probably should kind of and it I know it's not going to be, but realistically probably should be out of the conversation by this week with with Toy Story because then it's just so many big movies at the end of the summer that it that's coming out.
Speaker 3: Let's see in my area, there's one theater in my in my new area. Guys, let's see the Thursday, if I were to go see it at nine thirty is still no, it's not sold out at all whatsoever. There's like three there's three seats taken in the nine thirty see seven.
Speaker 4: I say sold out.
Speaker 2: All of the like first showings of the day are sold out because of course, everybody wants to be the first one to watch it, because nobody wants to be spoiled. And that's usually how I go about things, as I try to go to the very first showing of whatever it is, with the current situation of me moving and everything else, I was like, hey, we're gonna be spending a crep ton of money on gas all the way to Texas.
Speaker 4: So I'm like, hey, I'm just gonna wait until the day and if or or even like maybe in like two weeks.
Speaker 2: If I just buy like the last showing of the first day, yeah, I think I'll be fine.
Speaker 4: But yeah, yeah, uh.
Speaker 2: Mandalorian Grogu had a good run.
Speaker 4: With it.
Speaker 2: Possibly, you know, Katie just said three point fifty. I'm gonna say, with it only making eight hundred and sixty five thousand dollars yesterday, you.
Speaker 3: Gotta say three twenty five.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say three twenty five possible. What is the usual theater run for these movies.
Speaker 3: Nowadays forty five to sixty days.
Speaker 4: Forty five to sixty days. Ooh, so it might, it might, Actually it might.
Speaker 3: I can see three fifty.
Speaker 2: So if that's the case, let's say that eight sixty five eighty five, eight sixty five eighty five is the new normal for the remaining twenty days, because it's on day twenty seven now, so forty five days. Let's say that that's an additional seventeen million, and it is currently three hundred and sixteen million. Ooh, that's three hundred and thirty three million. Yeah, So it has to stay consistent mm hmm with eight hundred and sixty five thousand dollars a day for the next twenty days to get past three hundred and thirty.
Speaker 3: But remember, your weekends are going to be higher. We we thks are.
Speaker 2: Going to be a little higher. So technically, looking at the weekend on Saturday and Sunday, it made uh more than one point five million, yeah, and both on both Saturday and Sunday, so you have you still have those those those little spikes, So it's.
Speaker 4: Possible it's totally possible to get three fifty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think some of the things that people aren't necessarily bringing into consideration with this movie is the merchandise sale. You paid how much to manufacture merchandise, and you're gonna profit roughly three hundred percent probably off the merchandise. So box office is one thing, your merchandise is another. Yeah, I think it's gonna be fine. They might over knowing Disney, they'll still probably overreact, but you know.
Speaker 2: We'll see, we'll see, all right. Well, that takes us to our main topic today being Star Wars Volume one. This is the twenty twenty five series, issues one through ten, Katie, and this.
Speaker 3: Was written by Alex Sigura, who wrote the Battle of Jack Who Yes Volume, So a lot of the characters and everything in here. This is kind of like Battle of Jack Who Volume but they didn't want to call it that. So your artists philm Noto does one through six in the free Comic Book Day issue, Pete Woods does seven and eight, Ramon Rosanas does issue nine, and Luke Ross does issue ten. Your color artists are film Noo for the previously stated comics, Pete Woods for seven and eight, and Chris Soto mayor for nine and ten. Your letter is VC's Clayton Cowell's cover art is film Noo, and the assistant editors Mikey J. Basso and Drew Baumgartner. Editor is Mark Panacea or Panccia. I will say the art for issue seven and eight. I very much disliked.
Speaker 4: It was so jarring.
Speaker 2: It was it was so because I was I was on the app reading this, so I'm just reading one.
Speaker 4: Through six, Okay, okay.
Speaker 2: The moment I opened seven, I had Now let me go ahead and say before I say this comment seven and eight. If the book started with that art, yes, it would have been great. Going from issue six to issue seven, I had the most disgusted look on my face.
Speaker 3: Because I mean, the dang screen, it's this, It's Luke Skywalker with purple eyes.
Speaker 4: I will bring it up.
Speaker 2: I will bring it up because I will bring it up on my Marble and limited issue number seven.
Speaker 4: Let's see here, Where are we at? Where are we at?
Speaker 3: It's still And also like some of the art with Leah, I get that Leah has all these different hair styles.
Speaker 2: When when they opened up her in the blue dress with her wedding hair, yeah, I said no. I said, nahuh no, you can't. You can't discontinue continuity like that. The continuity of the entire series had her in her her top ponytail hair.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: I very much disliked it. I said, nahuh mm hmmm, So.
Speaker 3: It was it was super strange.
Speaker 4: And this photo right here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, purple eye Luke Skywalker mm hmm. And it's purple there right, It's not just like the way mine was printed.
Speaker 2: It's I can see like a hint of blue that's purple. But yeah, no, it looks very purple. And I think it's because of the way he wanted to do the lighting. But there's also issue number.
Speaker 4: Is it eight.
Speaker 3: I'm also very attached to Philonoo as an artist. I think he did an incredible job. He does an incredible job with the covers, and so getting to see him do the actual art on the page was really really I loved it.
Speaker 4: I really really enjoyed it. That was like, okay, so this is the moment where I bashed the book.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry this there's a reason. Okay, hold on, let me let me grab all my thoughts because this is more going to be a stab at Marvel, not at Star Wars Marvel, And this is happening across multiple comics right now. It's not just Star Wars.
Speaker 4: Marvel. If you.
Speaker 2: Want a book to be out in an ongoing series, you need to release an ongoing series. You cannot decide on issue seven. Oh, well, this is a penny short of making my Giant Bank account even richer. So I'm gonna go ahead and cancel it. That is bullshit.
Speaker 4: Sorry, it is.
Speaker 2: You can definitely tell at issue seven. Oh they are now instantly rushing this entire story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very clear that this was set up for the long term, and I love what Alex Sigora was able to write in this and try to make it work. I think issues one through six are phenomenal and a really good set up point for an ongoing series. The minute this was cut, you can tell. And it's like, immediately tell it, because remember when this was announced, we were like, Okay, ongoing series, cool, Alex Sigora is taking over the ongoing series for Star Wars, like because that's just what it's called and stuff.
Speaker 2: But like I said, this is also happening with other stories. They announced a new ongoing x men A couple months ago, almost a year ago now that is also ending at issue ten yeap. These publishers, and I saw somebody, and this is more so on the back end of stuff. I follow a lot of my fellow comic book individuals, a lot of the higher publishers, the CEOs, all of the big wigs in the industry. And I'm not saying that to be like ahaha, It's just the way my job was back in the day, and of course what I'm trying.
Speaker 4: To do with volume comics.
Speaker 2: So I'm in the conversation with everybody, and I saw somebody say like, oh, you know, it's very unfortunate, but the way that comic books are created is essentially these publishers are gambling. They are needing to make these very quick decision aka bets on series and they either come out very well or they don't. And it's not all cutting, you know, cut and dry. And I understand that to a point. If you are going to be a publisher and willing to say hey, especially as big as Marvel, because Marvel, yeah sorry, you have literally no excuse as far as the money goes.
Speaker 3: No, And it, like like you said, it boils down to like the money, but also like today's culture, like everyone and everybody that doesn't make sense. Everyone and everything is trying to go viral right now to catch the next big thing, and so people are like, if you can't catch attention in the first ten seconds of a read, you're pointless. I should have never published you. Basically is what it boils down to from the executive side of things. And it's dumb because people people need time to get into things. People need to be able to read, people need to be able to watch and say, you know what, I want more of this, and so we get the second season, we get more issues of the comic and that's just people are dumb nowadays.
Speaker 2: But in a very serious conversation also, especially with the last two years and for right now continuously because we don't know when this is going to end, there is a very serious conversation with hey, people are needing to choose wisely on am I going to pick up the next Star Wars issue or I'm am I going to buy food for the week? M and comic book publishers need to not be brain dead on this conversation. It's for one, canceling a book means that you're canceling a contract with a writer, you are now taking that writer off of a job in a economy that is very hurting. And these writers were already struggling before this economy was starting to get to where it is today, and now you're kicking them off of books.
Speaker 4: Not a great book, not a.
Speaker 2: Great you know, a business yeah, style for these publishers.
Speaker 3: And I think like, especially as somebody who prefers the graphic novel, I think that's also something that comic publishers should take into consideration, is there's a lot less people nowadays. I feel like, who what the single issue comic on their shelves? Like, yes, it's great, but you know, you know, Mike Toddler can tear into this book and this is a lot harder than a single issue.
Speaker 2: But that conversation is an entirely different conversation. It's something that the publishers will definitely need a little bit more time with, which is stupid, I understand. Like, for instance, Marvel and DC. I think Marvel is very new to it right now, whereas DZ has been doing it for the past three years. The compact comics is something that Marvel or sorry that DC has been doing for quite some time, Like I said, three years, Compact Comics, they are essentially trying to do what the Asian countries are doing for manga. So weekly shown in jump issues. So let's take a very famous manga. Let's say.
Speaker 3: My hero Academia.
Speaker 2: My hero Academia. Okay, that is already over, but it was being published in a magazine.
Speaker 4: That is weekly.
Speaker 2: So there was a new issue of My hero Academia every week, whereas in comics Star Wars would be coming out every month. Okay, yeah, so there's a difference there. Again, manga is in black and white American comics and color.
Speaker 4: There's a whole process to it.
Speaker 2: But the weekly Shun and Jump comes out every week, and then they would put their volumes in a small compacted book that is very very cheap. DC finally started copying this mentality and started calling them Compact Comics.
Speaker 4: And what they did is they got.
Speaker 2: Their top fifty graphic novels, okay, and they started to collect them in small compacted Yeah, graphic novels. It's cheaper paper, so that way they are able to make the price tag smaller. So normal graphic novels can be anywhere between fifteen ninety nine to as high as thirty dollars, depending on the card stock, depending on the hardcover.
Speaker 4: All of that stuff.
Speaker 2: Right, Compact comics are ten dollars, it's nine ninety nine. And it's because they noticed, Hey, a lot of people are already just waiting for the volume, So why don't we create something that they're already looking for, a cheap way to just carry around these books and read them on the go and everything else. They need to hurry up and get to a point where they're doing this for modern stuff that's coming out right yep.
Speaker 4: And I think what they need to do is maybe just.
Speaker 2: I keep I'm so used to the camera being right here. I keep looking right here at the camera. The camera is now over here. Marvel, DC, all of the publishers that are currently out there in America. I don't care if you're copying their homework. Start making your comics in black and white, make your ink and color versions.
Speaker 4: As a premium.
Speaker 2: To make it the same price as you always do. You can then shorten the or you can shrink the price of the black and white, and then you can come out with the modern compact stuff quicker.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: You can actually, because I can almost guarantee. I'm not gonna say guarantee. Looking at Star Wars twenty twenty five, I am almost willing to say that two things happened. One cells were not as great as they thought that they were going to be. Again, economy is shit, So I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: And you put off telling you put off telling a past return of the Jedi's story for way too long. You're trying to fill in all these gaps. People are now like, oh, well, they're telling the same boring story all over again. Yes, fresh stories for one, Yes, and then two film note was in some big wig suits opinion taking too long m hm, and decided to hire all these other multiple artists, which I hate. I hate reading a book, or specifically a comic book knowing that it's one volume, but every like every issue or close to every issue is somebody different. Because that was the confusing thing. Right when we put first put this on the schedule, you were like, okay, so this is one through five, and I was like, according to Amazon, it's one through ten, and we were like, uh what yeah, like and you can tell how much time and like the filtering that Phil Noa was able to do with the artwork on his pages versus some of the other ones, like like look at you can't look at the vibrancy on this because of stupid background. But like this, this is one of the early issues, and it's like one of the flashbacks for Han and Lando with uh garev yes and the lengths in the bar and you've got purples, got oranges, you've got black, white, blue, pink. Like it's so vibrant and detailed. Yep, that that one exactly. And then you look at something like this, which is I believe issue number eight, and it's with Bassion and she's interrogating one of the assassins for like, hey, where is this guy? What's your real name? Like trying to figure out what the heck is going on. It's all purple. There's no reason it needed to be all purple in this, Like the drawing is sharp, but you can see that there's just a difference in like how they were drawing in this and changing it up harsher lines. It just doesn't make any sense. It's very abrupt. It's issue number seven actually, but yeah, it's just it's very different. And I think the writing is the best thing in this book by far. I love film Noto as an artist, and I think I think Pete Woods, again, if it had been where he had his own volume, or if this was a different comic, I don't think I would have had as big a problem with his art. But the fact in the matter is is that you put it next to film Noto and it's very different and it's jarring and it's absurd. I also, so I don't I don't hate Pete Wood's art, I hate where it's at in this book. Basically.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So who was the artist for issue number nine?
Speaker 3: Ramon Rostanas, Okay, I just want.
Speaker 2: To say this I think was one of the most jarring again because you're changing from not only from five to seven or six to seven, but then you change from eight to nine as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so you get used to one artist.
Speaker 3: And they impolitely turn into.
Speaker 2: This and I'm just like, why why are you doing this to me? Why is it so different? It doesn't need to be that jarring, It doesn't need to be that different. And again the reason being is they're like, hey, this isn't a this isn't a good story because people aren't buying it. Let's just rush the art Hey, get somebody else on it while this person is completing issues seven and eight, will hire this person to.
Speaker 4: Do nine and ten. Yeah, and it's just like, guys.
Speaker 3: Because somebody else did the art or issue ten. Luke Ross did ten, and then they brought in so Phil Noo and Pete Woods colored their own stuff, and then Chris Sotomayor colored Ramon Rosanas issued number nine, and then Luke Ross is issue in number ten.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Like, there's just so many moving parts that just make it a little.
Speaker 2: Bit of a excuse my language, a little bit of a clusterfuck.
Speaker 3: Yea.
Speaker 2: And it doesn't need to be like that. I think Star Wars, and I think we've talked about this before, star Wars can legitimately be a forever ongoing series with mini series on the side. You can literally make this an entire Like that's how Marvel should be thinking. So Marvel has an imprint for their like superhero genre. Yeah, and then they have an imprint for twentieth Century Fox. What they need to start doing is adding Lucasfilm as their own imprint.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They need to just say, hey, we're going to push this off. It's gonna be its own thing. They have an ongoing series of the main title and then you do other mini series and other small stuff to go along with it.
Speaker 3: And I think that makes the most sense, and I think that's what they were trying to do. But then the the like big cross series, I think that threw things off where people were not a fan of those and so they were like, Okay, we have to switch things up again. No, you should have just gone back to an ongoing Star Wars series and then had other series you can bring people in. But you did not need to cross over four series at a time for that. That was insanity.
Speaker 2: I think one of the biggest issues is again and you just made a comment on it earlier saying like, oh, you waited too long to do a post return of the Jedi. Right, We've already been introduced to a new hero, Race Skywalker. You just need to have a heavy conversation with Lucasfilm saying hey, we need Race Skywalker stories in the comics.
Speaker 4: That's just what you need to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and especially because like and we look at like Galaxies Edge for instance, because Galaxies they're doing a mini series right now introducing Batu into the Empire era, and like Rebellion all this stuff, why do we keep going backwards.
Speaker 2: Again? It's it's this idea me. It's it's this idea that they keep wanting to like, oh, there's a gap here, we can tell a story here. And they just literally need to say like, hey, like we understand that, you know, and and I I some like not somehow like I do have to break it to people.
Speaker 4: Star Wars is.
Speaker 2: A cult classic, meaning like, yeah, it's fun, but it does not hold up to this generation's ideas of what a movie should be. It doesn't like it just it just doesn't. When you introduce Star Wars Tomara eventually watching episodes four, five, and six, she is probably going to love it, but she is going to be more wow and like, oh my gosh to newer things. Yeah, it's just the way it is. It's just the way it is. I'm sorry. I was more wowed and like foaming at the mouth when I watched Phantom, Menace and Revenge of the Sith, And I was just.
Speaker 3: Gonna say, if if you wanted to stay in the same like comfort zone with the original trilogy and the prequel trilogy, go to the prequel trilogy. There's plenty of stories there to be told.
Speaker 4: Yeah, tell more Obi.
Speaker 3: Wan and Anakin Padawan stories, Like, there's a very easy ongoing series there that will bring in a bunch of people because everybody loves Opi Wan and Anakin a little.
Speaker 4: We just talked about literally Jedi Knights.
Speaker 2: Jedi Knights sounded like such a good idea, and then they just said, hey, here's a Qui Gongen story instead, like, yeah, they are just they're fumbling the ball when literally.
Speaker 4: The goal is taped to their forehead. Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: Like so, and we've kind of talked around this comment. Guys. It is a very easy story that does have a lot of good moments in it that we are kind of running out of time to do because apparently I'm being summoned to put my dog in to bed. It's got a lot of good, easy moments that delve into the politics of the New Republic, and there's adventure scenes, there's space fighting scenes, there's lightsaber moments, There's all these things. They really make this comic shine. And again, Alex Sigoura is a phenomenal storyteller that deserves more of these stories. His Spider Man story, guys, I don't know if you guys have read that. That's a great novel. There's a young adult Spider Man's story. He did a great job with it, so he he really does a fantastic job. I would highly recommend if you can get past the changing art between six, seven, eight, nine, ten. I think this is absolutely a pickup at the end of the day, if you were.
Speaker 2: If you were invested in the Battle of Jaku and you're like, hey, this entered on a cliffhanger, what happens next? Pick up this story. It does shed light on what they were trying to do. And I still have like a little bit of like towards the ending of the story, but I see the vision, I see where it was going, and so I was like, yeah, this is really fun. It's just unfortunate that this book turned out the way it did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I think the other thing too, that's important to mention here is I think Oscar Rina Oscar phenomenal villain. I love the concept. I love like delving into like, oh, hey, they actually suck the life out of people and that's how they stay young and beautiful.
Speaker 4: Creepy, but a little bit of a negative take on that.
Speaker 2: But I well, it's just like the the idea of how it was resolved.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a little punky dory, but but I think it's because of how the series got canceled.
Speaker 5: Yes, and like it was the the the ending of that whole debacle, I think was a victim of the fact that this story needed to be cut.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's how you end her if this story keeps going, Yeah, I just don't. But yeah, like the the idea, like, because again I'm always the champion for like, hey, Star Wars needs to go a little bit more sci fi, it needs to get a little bit more weird, it needs to go a little bit more supernatural. I liked it, but the ending, I was just like, m that was not sad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because the Anzati are actually from Star Wars legends, and I think we had said that with the Battle of jack Who. But yeah, because this was really their first introduction into Star Wars was Alex sigour tale, So I really dug it. I wish he had had more time, for sure, because I do think things would have ended just a little bit differently.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, and and just like how we do our novel reviews, guys, like it's best to just try it out yourself. So again, if you were invested in Battle of JACKU, if you're a Star Wars fan, which I hope you are because you are listening to this podcast, then yeah, pick it up as a continuation of that story and form your own opinion. But that is going to be it for this review. We do have a pre recorded Patreon exclusive setup for next week. It's got People number two of the New Jedi Order series that we are doing on Patreon. That'll be next week. We will be live again the first week of July when I am all settled into my new place in Texas. So of course you can always find me at Fanboy Clay on Twitter or not Twitter, sorry.
Speaker 4: On Instagram and on threads.
Speaker 2: Which does remind me because I will be doing all of that stuff in Texas.
Speaker 4: I will finally have more time.
Speaker 2: To create more content for our Instagram, for our threads accounts and all of that jazz.
Speaker 4: So go follow us and check us out there. But Katie, what about.
Speaker 3: You, y'all? You can find me on Emotionals, most social media plot forms at Slice Katie. I am also relatively in limbo right now, but I am a little more stable than Clay. Is at least at the moment, so uh yeah. I still have not posting on social media as much, but I do pay attention and I will get back to you guys as soon as I can. So with that, I want to watch everyone a great day or night, whatever time a day you're listening or watching, and we will see you next time. May the Force be with you.