Speaker 1: The injury Bud continues to be unfriendly to Louisiana. Let's discuss it here on Rage and Rundown. What's good, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to another episode of Rage and Rundown All Cajuns all the time. I'm your guy, JaMarcus Fitzpatrick, but you know you can always call me fits. And in today's episode, we'll be unfortunately talking about another injury happening for Raging Cajun's football, as linebacker Caleb Edwards will be sidelined for six weeks after suffering a torn MCL here in fall camp, and it is very early on in the camp process, entering the second week, and with that being six weeks, Coach Dez said that timeline would be around the USC game. So that's not a terrible amount of time that you're missing out on, but it is something that ultimately you didn't want to see happen, especially after seeing what happened with Sheldon Sampson.
Speaker 2: And now also you have other.
Speaker 1: Injuries that have been factor in factored in as well, some lighter injuries. Coach Dez mentioned that Lavin Struther and Trenton Cheney, who are both receivers as well have been dealing with shoulder injuries. Candidly, when I walked out to practice, because they had their first morning practice of fall camp, I was walking around and kind of making mental notes of all right, who's lining up here, who's the starters here? And the first thing I saw was Kayla Edwards with a brace and on crutches, and so before Coach Dez addressed it, I was prepared to ask, Hey, what is the latest on Caleb Edwards?
Speaker 2: We saw on crutches, what's the latest.
Speaker 1: He beat me to the punch answering and getting ahead of that being able to discuss everything, and he pretty much laid out all of the injuries that happened. He confirmed the hyper extended knee of Sheldon Samson, which we talked about here on the show, and I also broke the news first over my day job at KTC. So a lot of injuries that were factored in, and so Coach Diz in his opening statement after practice was over, talked about all those injuries and how the team is now dealing with them and what they're going to be doing moving forward.
Speaker 3: And you know, the one serious injury right now is uh Caleb Edwards. He has a partial A C M. C. L. Sorry, but we did get good news yesterday. It looks like six weeks. You know, probably USC would be a stretch. Certainly, we're not gonna push it. He was having a good camp, you know, he kind of you know, it's one of those things he just kind of got fell on.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: That's why it's important to stay off the ground. You know, Trent Chaining and landing Struther have been limited a little bit with Bruce shoulders. It's nothing serious, you know, it's just you know, they're limited, so you know, they're not take in a bunch of reps, which means you know, you got other guys taking more reps down the line, which I think leads to some of that and then Shelton's deal. So the last ota in the summer, hyper extended his knee and fell on his shoulder. You know, doctors checked it out. They felt like the shoulder was more significant at the time. So I was a little surprised. You know, we got to camp. He is moving around a lot better. They don't think structure, there's anything wrong. He did have some swelling the knee, they think, you know, it was hyper extension and some bruising to go along with it. You know, we're gonna do everything to make sure, you know, out of you know, taking all the precaution we can to try to get him back. But he is moving around better right now. You know, he's still out, but you know, I mean, you know, these things happened, so uh, you know, we got to get through it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: The good thing, you know, like I said, is Caleb's prognosis is pretty good considering what it was, what it could have been, you know, Shelton, you know, we feel like we'll get out of the woods with that pretty soon here. And then certainly Trenton and Landing or you know, they're they're pretty much day to day to being able to go back to full go.
Speaker 1: So there you have all of those injuries laid out, and like I mentioned to you, you know, I made my observations when I walked out, saw Keler Edwards on crutches. I saw Sheldon Sampson still in a great jersey, but in pads like everyone else. Once they went into individual drills, I did not see him running routes, but Trent Cheney and Landon Struther were both running routes catching passes they're just non in contact. So you're trying to maintain keeping guys as healthy as possible, which is something that not think just occasions are dealing with, but every team at all levels of football across the country, because you're going against each other, you're trying to get in good work, you're trying to work on technique, but you're out there competing. And football is a sport that is not just you know, a contact sport, it's a collision sport. And so because you're having so many collisions going over and over and over again day to day, especially in fall camp, where you have opportunities and windows to get in so much work throughout the time, injuries are going to happen football. You are at a one hundred percent chance of getting injured at some point. The severity of it all depends on how blessed you are in your career. From broken fingers to rolled ankles, like things happen in football, because like I said, this is a collision sport. And so with that in mind, you know many would think, well, how do you manage that? How do you deal with all these guys early on in camp, dealing with early nix and bruises. How do you manage that to make sure that ultimately you can get to the finish line of camp and then can get to week one and continue to keep yourself healthy. So what happened in twenty twenty five does not repeat. And so because of that, I asked coach Dz right after this, how do you manage keeping guys working hard, continuing do the to do the right things without you know, getting them hurt in instances and opening the window of opportunity injuries to happen. And how do you manage guys like a Shouldon Samson who was limited in spring ball and is now not practicing here in fall camp, making sure that they're going to be conditioned form when you actually open the season.
Speaker 2: So I asked him that question.
Speaker 3: Here's you, truthfully, the concern becomes the guys who do practice, if that makes sense, because the work that's spread out now you spread it a little bit less, right, it's a little more accumulated on those guys that are practicing. So that's why getting Trent and land and to continue to go and take those reps, you know, when their legs are good and all that stuff's just a shoulder. We continue to do that. We you know, and we adjust practice a little bit. You know, we started out a true two spot practice, you know, where it's two different fields and you're getting a few more reps and you're going fast. You know, we trim down a little bit. You know, we're still getting plenty. We're kind of doing like we did in spring where we have you know, all three groups on the same field. We're still going one, twos, threes. You just cut back, you know, two reps per per period with the threes, and you cut back, you know, four reps per period with the one, which you know ones and two is not ideal, but it is what it is. I'm sorry, two reps per period with those guys. So for total, So, I mean, you cut back a couple, but I think in the big scheme of things, you know, you can't just continue to wear the tread thin. You know, you got to do what you'd like to do and what you need to do to try to keep everybody healthy are two different things.
Speaker 1: That's a difficult job for any coach across the country trying to maintain intensity for guys, to make sure that you're not coaching up a soft bunch of guys while also making sure that they are healthy enough to be able to go out and compete when the games actually matter. So coaches is continuing to work through these things and they're going to continue to battle through to make sure that they can get to the finish line at the end of camp and to the start of the season.
Speaker 2: Now, the question is who's the guys that.
Speaker 1: Are going to step up to fill in these holes We've talked about in the previous episode about the receiver room, but there were some guys that Coach Does himself pointed to one that I talked about. And then also who steps up into that linebacker position for Kayleb Edwards in the instances where the Cajuns go three linebacker sets. We're gonna talk all about that when I come back here on Raging Rundown. Hey, guys, thank you so much for tuning in to another episode of Raging Rundown. We're gonna get back into the action in just a second, but before we do, if you're watching this podcast on YouTube, please do me a favor like it, share it, and leave a comment down below, But most importantly, make sure you subscribe to the channel. If you're listening, please follow the podcast, feed, rate the show, and leave us a review, because that's gonna help us get in front of more raging Cajun.
Speaker 2: Fans just like yourself.
Speaker 1: So, Kayleb Edwards has a torn MCO and will be out for six weeks, and by all accounts, they are not going to be rushing to get him back in the action, as they shouldn't, mainly because at the end of the day, you want to make sure that this young man is healthy, not just for football, but for life after football. And the second reason that I think that they're still to be in a really good spot is because they have so many other guys that have ability to be able to play. So the Cajuns are a predominantly four to three base defense, where you have four down linemen, you have three linebackers, and then all the guys there in your secondary. Obviously, when they're playing you know, spread teams, you'll see a four two five, or you may see like a variation of the three to three where you have three down linemen and the jack, who is also an outside linebacker, becomes that third linebacker for you and can drop in the coverage but also rush the passer. And so you've got to be able to have multiple guys that, Hey, can play Mike linebacker, can play SAM linebacker which is the strong side, can play the Will which is the weak side linebacker, and then the Mike obviously being the middle linebacker, the one kind of calling the defense and making sure the checks and things are going down. Okay, So you're almost kind of cross training in senses to make sure they guys understand the defense will to where hey, if one guy goes down like in this instance, you can bump someone over and say, hey, now you're playing the Sam or instead of you playing the MIC, you're gonna play the Will. And that's gonna help because now you have options across the board.
Speaker 2: So they have a lot of guys that are in this linebacker room.
Speaker 1: And this is a program that outside of when Kcosi went from I think the twenty three to twenty four season, have seen different starters at the linebacker positions almost.
Speaker 2: Every year of the Desert Mooy era.
Speaker 1: You think back to when it was Jordan Quibadeau and Chris Mincrief and then Kcosi and you know, I think it was Kendrick A.
Speaker 2: Gant at one point.
Speaker 1: Then you think about last year with Jayden dugger who's now with the forty nine ers and it's been doing extremely well, So kudos to him. Jayden Duggar and Terrence Williams like they've seen different variations and combinations of linebackers along the way and now that is once again something that's looking really good for them. So when I was out in the line watching practice, I walked down to the linebacker drills to get video of them, and the position coach, Scott Stoker was coaching them on the drill where it was kind of like they were reading downhill and trying to see whether they needed to scrape over the top or if they were feeling to go and make the tackle down hill. And the first two guys that were up were Jake said Andre and Connor mcfeuson. And when they were doing other drills like team since drills on the defensive side, the first two linebackers that ran out again were Connor mcfeuson and Jake said Andre. So those are kind of your locked guys that you know for certain are going to be in the mix. Caleb was your third, but now other guys that you're going to be looking to Michael Johnson Coach Dez spoke very very highly of which we'll get to that in just a second. Ethanville is another guy who's a red shirt sophomore out of Zachary who had really really good plays during the spring ball. If you go back and watched that episode or listen to that episode that I recapped after the spring game, he had a lot of really good plays for you. You even have Hayden Darbon, a former Units product, getting into the mix as well that can make noise for you. But one player that Coach Dez brought up was true freshman Harrison Cadere, who came from Catholic High School in bad Ruge. He's six foot, one hundred and ninety eight pounds, so he is very young. It doesn't have a lot of experience, but Coach Dez has pointed to the ability that he has. So I asked him about that linebacker room and the makeup that they have and how important it's going to be to have all of these guys ready once the season starts, especially with Caleb L.
Speaker 2: Edwards being out of the mix.
Speaker 3: And here's what he said, that's the question, right, you know, w here's the next one, is it? Prince you know, obviously Caleb out right now, so he's out of the mix. He was practicing well, but Caleb's out right now, you know, is it Ethanville. Michaeh Johnson has had a outstanding camp. You know, he's one that I've been I knew last year during the season, you know, when he was still mostly on scout team that he was going to have a great year for us. And he is not disappointed, you know. And then you know, I think Harrison Kadare is a young one that really I mean, I think he's gonna play for us this year, you know. I mean, whether it's just on teams or has some stuff on defense. I mean, the kid is really talented. I mean, so's it's a good.
Speaker 2: Group, man.
Speaker 3: We got a bunch of them that are rolling in there. I think they're playing really well, communicating well, playing physical.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Like I said, we've kind of been in this cycle really every year, you know, other than twenty four where we had k C coming back as a starter, you know, every year from twenty two, it's been new starters pretty much every year, and you know, it's fun to see guys rise up to the occasion.
Speaker 1: Forgot to give a hat tip to Princeton Malbrew, the Lafayette Christian product. I'm on the roster. They have him listed as an outside linebacker. So when I was looking at the list, you know, all I could see was just the guys that they have listed as regular linebackers. He's listed under the outside linebacker or jack position on the roster, but he is also someone that's in the mix as well. He looked really good in the drills while I was watching along the way also, so he's thrown into the mix. So you have a ton of options and you also have a lot of depth at that position. Now where Okay, if Jakes and Andre needs a breather, you can throw Princeton in in the middle, or if Connor mcphilson needs to come out, you can throw in ethan Ville. You can put in Michael Johnson at the linebacker position where you had, you know, Caleb Edwards. It gives you options, and it gives you opportunities to let other guys get experience out on the field. And what the Cajuns do a really good job of is if they feel like and this is across the board, not just on defense, this is across the board, if they feel like a guy can produce, they'll give him playing time. It may not be a full time starting position, like very seldom have we see a guy as a true freshman come in and just completely take over and start right off the bat, but they could get ten to fifteen snaps, and if those are ten to fifteen impact snaps, then that role can.
Speaker 2: Continue to progress.
Speaker 1: That's the way that they've assumed things, especially under coach days where they are in the business of developing high school talent. They come in, they get a few reps or they might start on special teams, and then the next season they become more of a reserve role and they get more opportunities, and then their third season they may become the starter and from there you're rolling. And so getting these guys in that helps you when you get in a situation like what you're in now with Caleb not being in the lineup for an extended period of time, which to that point, on the opposite side of the ball in the receiver room, with Sheldon Sampson not practicing, with Trenton Cheney and Lendon Struther being limited physically, not being able to be in contact situations, but still running routes. You have other receivers. They now have the opportunity to step up. And we talked about that in the previous episode when we talked about Shelton being out with the hyper extended knee and and those guys have been.
Speaker 2: Stepping up to the play the Kadiri's Wade.
Speaker 1: At the exposition, the coach dis talked about particularly how important it was not just for those guys to be shining right now, but he mentioned the young guy as well, here's here's.
Speaker 3: Some of us really good, right you know, Russ Babenough has been has been competing his tailoff. I'm like competing on the ball. I mean, doing some really good things out there. I mean, you know, when you get the ball in his hands, he's he's he's running and he's doing it the right way. He's competing down the field. Kadarius Wade, I think has stepped up. Aside from one day that he didn't have a very good day. You know, the five out of the six were really good. You know, Christian Brooks is a freshman that right now at X. You know a couple of those guys that we you know, you want to step up and respond, you know, they're not practicing great, you know. So Christian is and you know, only thing I've told him since January, I don't care if you've been here, if you got here in June, or you've been here for six years. We're gonna play the ones that are going.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna play the ones that are going. I love to hear it because, especially now with the five years, five seasons eligibility rule that the NCAA has established, you don't have a rich shirt and so you don't have to worry about whether you can play guys more than four games or not. If somebody is producing, throw him out there and let him keep playing. So to hear that you have a true freshman in Christian Brooks that is out there making plays for you, which he is a six foot two, one hundred and seventy six pound freshman coming from Zachary High School, When you're able to hear that he's coming into camp and is pushing for an opportunity to play, while you have an older player that is out that's that's something that you like to see. That means that you're going and you're recruiting guys that aren't just going to you know, settle and wait their turn that they're going to go and take it. And Coach Dez has made it extremely clear that he's gonna play the best guys that are out there, which they've always done that intently, but he's making it very clear that there's no such thing at this point of if you're a true freshman or not. If they believe that you can go out and can execute what they have in mind, then they're going to go ahead and give you.
Speaker 2: An opportunity to play.
Speaker 1: So Christian Brooks, Cadarious Wade, and then also Russell Babino, a local product coming from a Kadia in a high school, a guy that you know I covered while he was in high school. And if you know, you know a kadianna does not throw the football nearly as much, so he's used to blocking more. But the way that they utilized him sometimes in that offense was on the jet sweeps and you know now screens, the bubble screens out there in space and allowing him to just get out in the open and work. And so for him to continue to get these opportunities now with other guys not being in the mix, it's going to be interesting to see because there's only one football. You have lunch Winfield under center, and he has ability to not just make plays with his arm, but with his legs. There's only one football. So it's going to be up to this coaching staff, coach Desimo, offensive coordinator Tim Laja, coach George Munos, with the tight ends, and the entire staff to come together and formulate and say, hey, if Christian Brooks is coming out and he's you know, getting it going, and he's getting open, and he's beating one on one coverage and he's catching the football and he's continuing to stay hot, he might have to be someone that we throw into the mix. If Russell Babino is getting off whenever we give him the jet sweep and he's getting you know, five plus yards or even moving the chains every time that he touches it, we might need to implement that a little bit more in the offense. So it'll it's it's it's an interesting time right now because you have two guys that you were expecting to be huge contributors for you that are not practicing one that will be a little bit more long term. What I believe is that Sheoldon Sampson will be ready for Week one, which is ultimately where you want him to be ready for because that's when it's going to count. But at the same time, you don't want to rush him back into this. You want to make sure that he's as healthy as he possibly can be, that he's as conditioned as he possibly can be, so that way, when you put him out there on the field, he's able to execute it and can play at a high level. And even if he's not ready, you've now proven that you have other guys in the mix that can also go out and make plays. So we'll continue to keep our eye on this and see how guys continue to get healthy, other guys that maybe shake things up a little bit. One thing also to note when I was looking at some of the starters, because when I walked in to get ready to go and shoot practice, I could glance a little bit to see what team was running off the field, So it looked like ones were running off the field, and on the offensive line, I'm remembering correctly from left to right. I know the exact players that it was, but I'm trying to remember exactly what order they were in. The left tackle was Zay Alexander, the left guard was Kate Morrow, the center Cooper Fordham, the right guard was Matt bruce Ard. The right tackle was George Jackson. That's how you look on the offensive line. Obviously, you have lunch Winfield in the backfield. Stephen Blanco was in the backfield with him as well, and then we talked about all the different receiver combinations that you can have tight ends, kayten Jensen brock Chapel. That's how you're looking on the offensive side of the ball. The Caguns have their first scrimmage of fall camp on Friday, and we have been told that we will have the opportunity to watch, so I'll be there.
Speaker 2: I will take.
Speaker 1: As many notes as I humanly possibly can, and I'll drop an episode afterward reacting to everything that happened in that scrimmage to give you a good point of view of what truly this team is shaping up to be as we enter a little bit closer to September fifth, when the Cagens will host the Lamar Cardinals. So that's going to wrap up this episode of Rage and Rundown. If you've made it to this point in the episode, thank you so much. Please do me a favorite if you're watching on YouTube, please like it, share it, and leave a comment down below, But most importantly, make sure you subscribe to the channel. And also, if you know someone else that's a raging Cagens fan, share that link with them and let them know that we're covering all things Cajun's right here on Rag and Rundown. If you're listening, please follow the podcast feed, rate the show, and leave us a review, because that's going to help us get in front of more raging Cajun fans. Just like yourself. I'm your Guysja Marcus Fitzpatrick. We'll see you guys next time.