Speaker 1: You're listening to an Airwave Media podcast.
Speaker 2: On Occomber twenty third, twenty sixteen, we attempted our first ever live Monster Talk event. We were joined by Eugenie Scott, Brian Regal, Daniel Loxon, myself, Blake Smith, and Karen Stolesnow for a discussion of the Yetti. We use Google's YouTube Live software. This free software is undergoing a lot of changes and sometimes has problems. In this case, the live stream started late and was, according to viewers, quite shoppy. The recording itself, the audio sounds fine, but it had this curious technical shortcoming of having the first six minute start early and then cut off six minutes early. So what follows is the audio of that live recording that I was able to extract from the video. I'll be working to try to sync up the audio and video and make what actually came out available on YouTube in the near future. I hope you enjoyed this discussion. It was a lot of fun to record, and we plan to try this again in the future, hopefully with fewer technical difficulties. So welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters and what Brian Regal refers to as Yetti Palooza. It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 3: A giant, hairy creature.
Speaker 2: Part eight party masts in Luckness, a twenty four mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland. It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster. Monstertal is it starting?
Speaker 3: This?
Speaker 2: Says we're live, so congratulations, welcome boom. All right, so we're here for the first Monster Talk Live podcast video cast vodcast. I don't know. I'm delighted to say. We've got Brian Regal with us from the University. Hi, Brian, Daniel Loxton from Skeptic magazine and hopefully Daniel's sound will be working soon. Let's see. I'm not sure we heard you, Daniel. And then we've got Eugenie Scott formerly of in CSC Is that right, that's correct and I can hear you now, Daniel. I believe that's perfect. And then from Monster Talk and we've got me Blake Smith and special guest is Brian Gregory who is from the Virtual Skeptics and he's going to be helping us with the audio. So, Daniel, just because we're getting some background noise, I would ask when you're not talking, would you mind muting your mic. Okay, that's awesome, Thank you so much, beautiful, this is gonna be great. Okay, So for this very first episode, we're going to talk about a creature that we've only talked about sort of tangentially and hopefully I said that right up until now. We're gonna be talking about the Yeti. And the reason I've got these particular folk on is because we've got this book from Brian Regal called Searching for Sasquatch, which I'm holding up since this will also be a bit a podcast. At some point, I'll just tell you what I'm doing with my hands here. I've got Abominable Science, which was written with Daniel Lockson and Don Prothero. I've got Eugenie Scott's book, which is Evolution Versus Creationism. Her work with the NCSSE has been tremendous and dealing with trying to keep science as the core of our curriculum in schools. And the novel Hits and Misses from Karen Stolesnow.
Speaker 1: Which is all about Yeah, it's completely completely love story.
Speaker 2: So let's just sort of get started. I know that from from my experience, it seems like the Yeti really sort of became a topic of the I guess cultural immediacy in the nineteen fifties. Brian Regal, your book on Searching for Sasquatch talks a lot about the origins of crypto zoology. Can you give us kind of a little historical overview of how this creature, the Yeti, became so famous in America in Europe?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, the legend in Nepalese and Tibetan history supposedly goes back quite a ways. There's a medieval manuscript from like the fourteen or the thirteen hundreds with a drawing of a supposed man creature, but in the West doesn't really.
Speaker 3: Get exposed to this.
Speaker 4: Around nineteen twenty, a British mountain climber called C. K. Howard Berry is on an expedition climbing mountains in Tibet and he sees what he thinks is some strange creature of from the distance, and he asked the sharp of guides, you know what is that thing? And they give him a couple of different local dialect names, which he immediately mangles when he tries to say them again. And he's so impressed by this that he sends a telegraph to the Calcutta Statesman to say, I saw this creature and it's called whatever you know. He tries to recreate the name of it, and the guys at the Calcutta Statesmen they don't pronounce it correctly either, and they try to translate into English and it eventually comes out abominable snowman.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 4: And so that's how it kind of hits the scene. There had been a few scattered Western, mostly British reports from mountain climbers back back into the early nineteenth century, but it was this this message about an abominable snowman that really kind of gets things going. And it's a few years later that the uh, the Luckness monster begins to become well known. And I think what really kind of kicks the the abominable snowman into the Western public eye are the are the Eric Shipton photographs, the famous Eric Shipton photographs.
Speaker 2: And those about to say those are actually a footprints next to an ice axe, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, and there was there were.
Speaker 4: So that's the most famous one is the is the single print with the ice ACKs next to it, But there's a couple of others. Uh. Probably the next best known one was he took a picture of sort of a long row of these footprints.
Speaker 2: Heading off into the distance. So those prints don't look as much like the sort of classic big foot prints that become so popular, and they're very different. Yeah, so what do you think, uh, Daniel, in your book you talked a lot about that sort of early history as well. Uh, anything else you want to add to what Brian said.
Speaker 5: Excuse me, well, regarding the very famous print that that story is quite confused. There's you know, there's a number of conflicting accounts of how many photographs were taken, whether there was two trackways, whether the photographs were seeing all the reflect the same trackway.
Speaker 3: It's it's quite confusing.
Speaker 5: And there there is some suggestion as well that the very famous print that we see against the ice accent against a boot could have been modified by Shipton himself.
Speaker 2: Actually, you know, there there there was some discussion about that. The idea that you don't need to again, sorry about that, Uh, the perfect I would say, the idea that there was so much press related to this, and that the funding for these these mountain climbs seemed to become somewhat dependent on the revenue being generated by the stories for the search for the Yetti.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Is that an accurate statement that that that there was sort of financial pressure that can keep these stories coming in once they started.
Speaker 5: It is accurate, and there there are some accounts of important figures in the Yetti history mountaineers saying on the you know, on the down load. Uh, you know, don't make too much noise about this. This is you know, it's important for us to get our get our funding together and get our expeditions together.
Speaker 4: When I was when I was doing research for my book in London, I came across this was at the the archives at the universe See College of London. I came across this little obscure article in a kind of society page where John Napier, the man who writes probably the first scholarly book on on anomalous primates.
Speaker 2: At a party.
Speaker 4: They're talking because he knew Eric Shipton, and Napier's wife says to the effect, well, we know all no, that's fake. Shipton fakes everything. Yeah, he apparently right from the start there where there were suggestions that this was you know put on.
Speaker 2: Are you saying it's bullshipting?
Speaker 5: I think it is yes, there are some kind of hearsay accounts of that Shipton may have may have improved the print, and may have admitted that Earns Schaefer the SS the German SaaS Mountaineer, alleged that Shipton had said, you know, I had had asked him personally not to cast too much doubt on on the brend there. It seems that Shipton also had something of a reputation as a as a jokester meant hillary position in that in those kinds of terms, as some of the pays or tolltails.
Speaker 1: So let's just get to a more basic question that I'll put to everyone. What's the yetty supposed to be? You mean, you mean to the believers or as a creature as what How do we describe the Yetti? I guess is it a relative to or would believers think that the the is a relative to this sasquatch and the Yawi and other similar cryptids.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there are problem The descriptions vary so much, just like with all of the wild men of the woods. Is it's ten feet tall, it's got gray fur or silver or white fur? No, it's got brown fur, or it's really only five feet tall most of them. Most of the accounts like to have it. You know, bigger is always better when you're dealing with cryptos zoology, But how big it is, how much it weighs, what color it is, all of those things seem to be fairly flexible depending on who you're talking to and what they consider to be the evidence. So that's one of the problems with the bigfoot sasquatch, Shawe, et cetera. Is pinning down what exactly are we looking for? Whatever looking for? This is going to sort of spoil the punchline for everybody watching this, but they haven't actually found it yet.
Speaker 2: Sorry.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, Ivan Sanderson I thought had the best approach because he was completely imperturbable. He said, you know that you get all these different citing classifications and descriptions. That just proves that there's great biological diversity amongst anomalist primates. It's not just one, it's a it's a whole genus of different related species.
Speaker 6: Sure, in all of those places everywhere in the world where they've seen one or more of these large primates that are as yet underscribed, you don't have to look very far and you'll find people who also see ghosts and see other things. I mean, you know, the whole idea that just because just because an idea is widespread that therefore me it's true doesn't hold up very well. I mean, that's the lovely thing about looking at these phenomena from the standpoint of folklore. Because the folkloreists will tell you about widespread stories, some of them, like flood myths, could have an origin that's actually true most early civilizations, most early cities, human beings need water, So you settle someplace where there's water. If it's a river, probably at some time in the history of the community it's going to flood. So a lot of people independently have flood stories. And then there's also the phenomenon of diffusion, where a flood story will start in one place and diffuse to another neighboring or more distant culture, and so the same stories get swapped around. That doesn't mean that the same phenomena is actually being described everywhere. Folklorists also will tell you that the versions of the Cinderella story are almost as widespread as the flood. Does that actually mean there was a real Centerella who married the prince? Probably not, but it's a very popular motif, and the motif of the wild man of the woods is also something that shows up very widely in many cultures around the world. That doesn't necessarily mean that there are wild men of the woods running all over the place, or that they're certainly not that they're all a related form of undescribed primates.
Speaker 1: Why do you think that is that these stories seem to show up all around the world, similar stories you mean about well about about yes and squad Yeah, I.
Speaker 6: Mean, you know, there's the idea, the idea that that that that the woods are scary places, that remote areas are kind of frightening places. You could get hurt there. There's danger there. That's very common and not not exactly you know, even paranoids have enemies. I mean, bad things can happen to you in the wild, so that's not an unreasonable to believe. And it's also not unusual for there to be hermits and other people out living in the woods all by themselves. And not in every woods obviously, but you know, homeless people today is what we'd call them. But back in the medieval Europe or other parts of the world as well, there are some people who wander off into the woods and maybe they're not mentally stable, but certainly you could run into some of these people and they act bizarrely, and so stories arise. It's quite possible that stories about folklore, stories about wild men of the woods could be widespread for very understandable reasons.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: One of the handicaps that we have in the skeptics movement is we look at things scientifically, and that means that we actually look for the simplest explanation, the simplest explanation for all of these stories of Yetti's and Yellowie's and sasquatches and ETCeteras. The simplest explanation is not that a huge Miocene primates Gigantopithecus left relic populations around the planet which are all somehow related to one another and have yet to be properly discovered and properly described. That's a whole lot more ifs and possibilities and low priorities than just folkloric explanations.
Speaker 2: So, you know, that's always been a curiosity to me. The amount of bone material we actually have from Giganopithecus. Last time I read up on it was some teeth and part of the models for them that we see. I mean, I've seen full blown gigantic, you know, sized models for what people think they look like. And some people.
Speaker 6: Have that modern day forms are most closely related to fossil forms from the same area. It would be very unusual if giganopithicas look more like African apes. But it doesn't. It looks like Asian apes. So that's where the link to orangutans come from. That said, the idea that orangutans are a really good model for what gigantopithicas look like is not a very good one because Gigantopithecus was probably pretty big, you know, judging from the jaws and teeth. You know, there are elementric relationships that you can use to estimate how big it would be. I think I have no very good reason for saying this other than that I've spent some of my early academic life as a dental anthropologist, but I never studied the Gigantopithecus materials. But I think a lot of the estimates of ten and twelve feet tall are probably bigger than it really is. But you know, I can't defend that in any way. That's just a gut feeling from having looked at a lot of teeth in my life, teeth size varies a lot and is not a direct one to one kind of relationship with body size. But setting that aside, it was probably a pretty darn good sized ape, which you know, brings up a whole lot of other questions about the adaptation and the way of life that that creature had, that not only Gigantopithecus had, but any modern relic giant ape would have had, which you know, my colleagues here concertainly deal with as well ecological factors. I know that Dan has written about this, and the rest of you have too, so hold forth.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: You know, when when Grover Krantz did a reconstruction of the Jacob skull, he made it basically an oversized gorilla skull, and he did uh. He was very interested in the in the biometric approach to trying to reconstruct Bigfoot, and in his papers I went through all the stuff down at the Smithsonian, just reams and reams of mathematical calculations he did to try to figure out the bulk of one of these and these wonderful little drawings sketches he made, these little sort of mannequin drawings with you know how long the limb proportions were going to be, and you know, he put a lot of effort into it, and he just assumed that Gigantopithecas was a very big gorilla like biped.
Speaker 6: Well, actually, that's that's probably not you know, too crazy, because you know, the teeth are really big. Those are humongous big molars, and generally speaking in primates where we find that kind of dentition, big molars, especially relative to the anterior dentation. This is an This is a creature that I ate a lot of fullivorous kinds of food, hard objects, or a lot of vegetarian kinds of These are not the teeth of a of a carnivores, shall we say, maybe an omnivore, but an animal for whom vegeta vegetables, vegetation, I should say, not vegetables.
Speaker 2: That's different.
Speaker 6: Vegetation was a very big part of the of the diet. That makes sense if it's a very large body primate. You know, look at gorillas there the biggest primate on the planet today, and their diet is almost entirely low calorie, high bulk kinds of foods, which is why when you go to the zoo, and especially if it's a zoo that's overfeeding its grelus, you tend to find big guts because most of the viscera is involved in digesting this high cellulos diet. You know, you just don't find giant primate dietary support in places like the Himalayas or the northwest coast of North America. You just don't find that kind of dietary possibilities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it almost ends up being the same sort of argument you have about NeSSI, where there's just not the caloric availability to support the size of the animal, that seems to be a good argument against. I guess went back to the question about what is it supposed to be? Though we've got some people report something that sounds like a bear, some people report something that sounds like a primate. But am I right in thinking that there is?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: Well, I guess maybe a better question with this, maybe a folklore question, is what did the people of Nepal think it is? I mean, what are the people who live in that area? I think is because it seems like in their folklore in mythology, that the creature is more supernatural than necessarily biological.
Speaker 5: It's it's a really complicated, complicated question that actually makes me feel quite uneasy. Of all the major cryptods, I think the Yetti is the one that makes me feel the most kind of unsure because it's it is the most international of the mysteries. You know, we're we're talking about creature that spans several countries, a vast part of the world, a number of different languages. We've got dozens of names for this thing. Through through that, we've got some implication of bears, some implication of supernatural creatures. But teasing these things apart is really difficult, particularly for Western skeptics, you know, sitting at a desk somewhere as I am. We're very dependent on, you know, people who have spent a lot of time looking at you know, meeting local people talking about the beliefs, talking about mountaineers and expeditions that have gone in search of the Yeddie. And then those are also international. You know, we've got to Germans and Swiss and British and Americans, with large expeditions by the Russians, by the Chinese, and trying to put together all those pieces to answer the deeper question what is the eddie. It's extraordinarily daunting in my opinion. You know, the more kind of popular culture question, what is the eddy? Is itself sort of complicated. You know, with cryptids, we have our lumpers and our splitters for our kind of cryptozoological taxonomy. There are people who believe, for example, that every major like monster belongs to the same species across the entire planet, or that every kind of phenomenal as he belongs to the same species across the entire planet. But as Genie pointed out earlier, you know, that's not what we see in the eyewitness record. We see tremendous diversity. So how are you going to deal with that? Do you conclude that eyewitnesses are not terribly reliable, as skeptics tend to conclude, or do you conclude that there are dozens of species of big feet stomping about the planet, all of them equally undiscovered, practically invisible.
Speaker 1: Do you think that people in countries like the poll and to Base I really believe in the YETI today or do you think it's more of a tongue in cheek thing or tourism draw.
Speaker 5: I think it really depends, you know what country you're in what sense you mean to believe, whether you're in the countryside of the city. It's a kind of a complex folklore ecology of ideas.
Speaker 2: So kind of going back to the Yeah, thanks Dane, it's kind of going back to the historical side of things. The the two most famous aside from the photographic evidence that the two most famous sort of yetty things the evidence for them are a mummified hand and a mummified scalp. And there's this amazing story about how some of that material came out for US Western scientists to have a look at. Can we talk about that a little bit? Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 4: There is a monastery in Tibet called pangbo Chet and they supposedly have this story about a Yetti helping them build the monastery or protect the monastery, and they claim they had a hand Yeti's hand and a Yeti scalp that they kept as sort of religious artifacts. And in the nineteen fifties, one of the legendary anomalous primate hunters, David Byrne, winds up going there and he sees this thing and he tries to steal it. He managed to somehow sweet talk his way in to be able to get his hands on this hand, and apparently he stole a couple of fingers. He tore off a couple of fingers and replaced it with modern human finger bones, but then didn't exactly tell anybody when he got back to Europe that he had done this. And then one of the last expeditions to go there, the one that involved Edmund, Hillary and and the guy from Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom Perkins, the Hillary Perkins Expedition, Marlon Perkins, thank you. They go out there and they say, okay, we want to see the hand too, So the monks bring him in, uh, and they say, here's the here's the hand. And they don't know that David Byrne had chopped some fingers off of this and had replaced it with human finger bones. And they Marlon Perkins looks at this and he says, wait a minute, this is a human hand. It's obviously modern human bones. So it's all fake. And that's basically what they said to the world. Perkins was very skeptical of the whole yetti idea. There's a famous photograph of him wearing the Yeti scalp sort of dancing around with it that got a lot of people upset. But then the hand I believe the hand went and disappeared completely, So we don't know. There are photographs, there's a couple of photographs of it floating around, and a couple of photographs of the of the of the skull cap, but.
Speaker 3: I believe the hand is missing.
Speaker 4: And Bernard Hoovelman's the other famous pioneer cryptosologists. He believed that the whole YETI thing was just a misinterpretation of local wildlife.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a popular view. I think that. Of course, then there's stories where you know, people have much more profound in direct interactions. But that seems to be true for like Bigfoot as well, where you get stories where oh, that sounds like a bear, you know, or that sounds like, uh, you know, an animal that I recognize, and then they get kind of mixed up with stories of you know, these animals have a language and they talk to me and they tell me things that sort of thing. So, uh, it's a it's a hodgepodge of stuff. But I did one when we're talking about removing material from those areas. Uh, there's that famous bit with the Jimmy Stewart can can we can we add that bit had I hate to not have our Jimmy Stewart story. They want to cover that.
Speaker 5: It's been a while since I've looked at that. But yeah, the the story of how this material of the hand material got taken out by Burns a little bit. There are some different accounts of that. He said that he had permission, it wasn't stolen, so on. The material still exists, the material that he carried out, It was DNA tested just a few years ago, and that was also human.
Speaker 2: So was it Jimmy Stewart, Not that.
Speaker 5: I know, but there is there is a story about the material being carried out by Jimmy Stewart's wife in her.
Speaker 2: Right, in her Lageride luggage. Right, yeah, it's a different time, it's different.
Speaker 6: Wait wait, what what was Jimmy Stewart's wife carrying out? I missed a piece of.
Speaker 5: This someplace, A piece of a Yetti's hand, Mamma Yetti's hand.
Speaker 6: The same hand. I mean, how many yet hands are there? I mean I've heard about the earlier one, the one, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the same one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's apparently how it was carried out of the country.
Speaker 2: Through this, so it's like a movie title person yet hand right, So.
Speaker 1: Does it seem like they're saucing today contemporary signings of the It.
Speaker 4: Not that I'm aware of. I don't think there has been a major sighting, you know, there there was the there was the material that was tested a couple of years ago that turned out to be an extinct version of a polar bear.
Speaker 3: But I don't, I don't.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: Of any publicized sighting lately.
Speaker 5: There's there's a little trickle photographs and television shows and say they found footprints and things like that, But it's the heyday of the YEDDI seems to have seems to have passed, at least in terms of the cryptid that we know in Love in the in the West, the House.
Speaker 2: And Days of the Eddy was it. We We do have a new series out from Josh Gates, which is I think. I think it's a four part series. In episode three I've got I've got the three episodes digitally to watch them, but I haven't had a chance to sit down with them yet, so I'm not sure. I know. In the commercials though, it does look like he sees an animal, so I would just have to assume that he found the Yeddy and that all that scientific turial is coming out soon.
Speaker 3: So yeah, the.
Speaker 5: Case closed, Our job is done.
Speaker 6: We can go home. Now, it's a little early. We're half hour short. But as part of my reviewing for this program of yours like and Karen, I mean, I actually don't think about Yetti all the time in real life. So I went back, Okay, you know, what do I know about Yetti? And back in the nineteen nineties I did. I was asked to be the scientist for a show that was on that splendid example of scientific accuracy, the History Channel, in the In Search of series and with which I'm sure you were all quite familiar. This was, of course, In Search of the Abominable Snowman, and they went through all kinds of kind of bombfog to get to what was really the kicker, which was the last ten minutes or fifteen minutes or so, which was their presentation of new footage of the snow Walker. Don't remember the snow Walker video, right? And the snow Walker video was just just classic, It's just wonderful because it was a mysterious Belgian couple who were camping in the snowy Himalayas and they were filming, you know, sort of their vacation here, and they turned the camera back to record their their footprints as they had walked up this steep slope, and then they saw this strange creature get up and walk away, and of course the camera was jiggling and banging around and everything like that. This was and is this the Jetty? And I, of course my whole role. I mean, I know you guys have been in a comfortable role for other programs. The role of the scientist is to have all the g whiz stuff go on and then doctor Scott as a scientist and somebody really boring, what do you have to say about this? And your job was to say something halfway sensible. There it is, There it is. That's the snow walker. Oh fabulous, you've got it. I'm sorry for your podcasts. Exactly. Well, that's basically what I said on this program. I said, you know, a how do you know this couple is Belgium. They're they're speaking Flemagh to each other, But did you act get a native Flemish speaker to I don't know what Flemish sounds like. These people could be, you know, saying so you know linguistics, that's what we need. So a you know, we don't know who these people are. We don't know where this was filmed. It could have been filmed in the Sierras for all we know. It's just a couple of rocks and you've got there's nothing there. It was very cleverly done so that you couldn't actually figure out where it was. And then you know, they labor up at this hill and then they turn around and there's this dark form at the bottom of the hill. And you know what's going on in my mind is they're saying, okay, Fred, time to get up and walk. And the guy in the gorilla suit stands up and he starts walking away. And I tell you, if this is actually a creature that lives in this environment, it's going to be dead in a week because it could barely get through the thick snow. It was extremely clumsy. This was not a creature that was used to this environment, whereas a man in a gorilla suit would probably not do terribly well in that environment. Actually, but I did I did bring up a couple of points about this is not really a very reliable bit of footage. But that was that must have been the late nineties because I had short hair and really big glasses. So that's kind of that's when I can pinpoint that.
Speaker 2: So the Abominable Stumbler reminds me of the Bumbler from the Rudolph the Red Near. Is that right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Uh so I don't think you're that's right? Yeah? In what's the elf that wants to be a dentist? I think and I think a lot of people learned about the Abominable Snowman from that documentary about the Rudolph the Reda's Reindeer.
Speaker 6: So I missed this whole thing. How did I How did this pass me by months?
Speaker 1: That will come out for Christmas?
Speaker 2: That's a classic. How can you see that? You're boring scientists?
Speaker 6: Case some points, my daughter probably knows about. I'll last her and I'll get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can. When Christmas comes around, You'll you'll find it. It's a it's an important part of the Roodolph the Redness Reindeer mythology. If you don't mind me, you know, I'm not I'm not Okay, let's be clear. I am a skeptic, but I'm open minded about the existence of Santa Claus, so totally yeah, no spoilers here.
Speaker 6: I mean, Santa Claus comes to my house every Christmas. I don't know whether you are good girls and boys, but Santa Claus definitely comes to us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Santa Claus seems pretty forgiving around here because I've got some bad.
Speaker 1: I'm seventeen month old, so he'll probably be coming soon.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: So I wanted to ask about but some of the footprints that have been found in the snow, and I know, with big foot footprints are often a key piece of evidence. How would the snow in that particular climate affect those footprints? Do you think do you think it could affect them in any particular way.
Speaker 6: Well, in the sense that snow melts and changes its shape pretty well and pretty quickly, I would think that snow prints would be the least reliable kinds of prints that you would want to depend upon.
Speaker 2: That's a recurring thing I've heard as well, is that they've melt and refreeze and melt and refreeze and become unrecognizable.
Speaker 6: Bigger and bigger. Yeah, and they increase in size as well, and their footprints, you know, do look a lot like people footprints if you kind of forget about the glass in the front which can melt off, are easily the plexi river man tracks. You know, we have all sorts of experience with footprints being rather under liable sources. Question, are you guys familiar with Jeff Meldrum's uh uh that's what sorry, big foot footprints and uh he claims to have found dermal ridges him.
Speaker 2: We are right, we've we've we've talked to Jimmy Chilcott, who was he was a fingerprint expert who yeah, and his idea was that these were primate uh dermal ridges like basically like fingerprints. But Matt Crowley was able to demonstrate that, uh, this effect can be created when you have your casting material dry, and he called them, let you call them the desiccation ridges instead of dermal ridges, and so was able to reproduce the effects guaranteed not a primate because he was just making casts and they were getting the same sort of effects. So I think he's pretty well uh killed that as a viable explanation, so that no, Chilcut is a trained fingerprint expert, but that doesn't and he's as much as said that, yeah, that does does explain the at least potentially explain those.
Speaker 5: Sorry, well, I was just going to say that I think Matt's demonstation about the dermal and bridges is pretty definitive and quite interesting, a rare case of truly experimental work in skeptical investigation. You pretty much put a nail in that whole thing, which was a really important cornerstone of the pro bigfoot.
Speaker 3: Argument for quite a while.
Speaker 2: It is, yeah, and it's sad too, because it's the most iconic thing about Bigfoot. I mean, you can have blurry photos all day long, but it's those giant footprints that I think really are the most memorable part of my growing up thinking about big Foot. As people holding up those casts, I was like, you know, so.
Speaker 5: It's it's one of the important distinctions maybe between the big Foot lore and the Yetti lore and those cookie cutter footprints that we associated with the Sasquatch. Yeah, it's quite quite different from from what we see and across historical accounts of yetti tracks. They're really variable. They don't really they don't match each other. They don't match the Sasquatch template at all, So we see they.
Speaker 6: Don't look like something they don't look like something that you would scrap on your your cat caterpillar as you're going through the through the.
Speaker 5: Califun you know the Yetti footprint history, It didn't kids wild animals quite quite strongly in a range of them, monkeys and wolves and the bears certainly.
Speaker 2: Well, we have a lack of physical evidence to support this animal lots of lore. But in that sort of highlight time, right before and right around the same time that the Bigfoot became popular in America, we had this this funding that was coming from a private individual. Uh, Tom Slick, which greatest name in in cryptology, because because I was a big fan of the Tom Slick cartoons, which is not related. Uh.
Speaker 6: But and then there's Gray Slick r.
Speaker 2: Never mind, It's like that's a singer. I know that, but she from Starship? Is that right?
Speaker 6: It's like, I forget what Jefferson airplane.
Speaker 2: Okay, Jefferson airplane.
Speaker 6: I just I just broke your total train of thought.
Speaker 2: So always precariously to go off the rails. Don't worry about that.
Speaker 4: I sidly can't believe that two of the people on this panel don't know that Gray Slick was in Jefferson airplane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I thought was gration I have.
Speaker 4: I have freshmen in my World history class never sold raids of the Lost Arc.
Speaker 6: That's scary.
Speaker 2: Why haven't being your class? I don't understand.
Speaker 3: I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 4: I couldn't believe they didn't they didn't get the reference. And I just stood there for a minute, dumbfounded, wow, saying anything and and one of the students says, what's wrong and I said, I was just thinking about the buffalo and they didn't get that either.
Speaker 1: Have to screen it in class someday.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I did get kind of derailed. I was talking about something with Yetti's I don't know, Oh, Tom slick, right, So you had this basically you had this independent uh oil millionaire funding working for the CIA, who may have been working for the CIA. That's a very good point. Uh, there's a whole there's a whole Yetti c I a thing we haven't even right. There's the whole using Yetti research to travel across borders because you know as a on the Chinese, right, but we don't. We don't really have anything like that in cryptozoology anymore. But we do have lear uh sort of funding the same kind of paranormal fringy references. So you've got this guy Lear who's a millionaire hotel owner from I think a budget hotels or a budget I forget the name, but but he's uh, there was the Skinwalker ranch research and at the same time, he's legitimately trying to put uh hotel habitats out into space and has a module that's going to be on I think it's on the International Space Station right now. I find this fascinating when you get these guys who are willing to put the money out there and try to do something scientific. I kind of worry that sometimes they go with fringe resources instead of mores or hardened science resources. But A Slick was actually tied into American Bigfoot investigations too, until he tragically died in a helicopter crash. Does ib you want to share any details that Am I covering that pretty accurately?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: He was.
Speaker 4: He's one of the guys, one of the few people who bridges the gap between both the Asiatic nomalost primate searchers in the North American primate anomalst primate searchers.
Speaker 3: He's was this.
Speaker 4: Kind of quirky Texas oil man who is born into a very traditional Republican world that included the Bush family and UH and and other sort of movers and shakers of the American century ideal. Yet at the same time he's got these sort of almost these progressive, almost liberal ideas about uh fixing the world not through the force of arms, but through spirituality. And along with the Yetti hunts, he also sponsors several sort of holistic institutes. A very unusual guy and depending upon who you talk to, may have been an operative for the CIA.
Speaker 5: You wanted to bring the US and the USSR and a kind of world peace police force. Yes, very optimistic character.
Speaker 4: Uh what what's what's really fascinating about the YETI hunt much less so for the bigfoot stuff. But if you look at the history of the people who actually went on these Yety expeditions, certainly the Americans, they all have oss connections. Dylan Ripley, who was the first guy that that Eric Shipton contacts after he gets these pictures, he contacts Dylan Ripley, who's an ornithologist at the Smithsonian about he knew that that Ripley had gone to Asia and he was a ass officer in the Asia theater and Carlton Kuhn, another major American member of the of the YETI search also documented OSS connections and even later CIA connections, because I dug through the Smithsonian records and found he Kuhn had been working for the for US intelligence in North Africa during World War two and he got badly injured in a in a Nazi bombing raid. And when the war was over, he put in an application for severance pay and medical pay, and he sort of goes back and forth in this paperwork is there He goes back and forth with the CIA saying, you know, I was working for you guys, and I my head got smashed open, and now I'm crazy. You got to give me some money, you give me some medical attention, And in wonderfully bureaucratic way, the CIA says, well, you know, you didn't work for the CIA, you worked for oss So the CIA is not responsible for what you did under the OSSU. And so they wound up giving him some sort of small pension.
Speaker 2: But all these.
Speaker 4: Guys that went on on this expedition have these very real but somewhat murky intelligence connections, And there are Russian newspaper articles from this time period where they say, we know all these these these monster guys are all working for the CIA.
Speaker 2: They're here to.
Speaker 4: Spy on us, the spying on the Chinese, the spine on Tibet, because this was around the time that the China really begin to crack down on Tibet and the Dalai Lama goes into exile and they say, you know, you're not fooling us.
Speaker 3: You're not looking for a monster, You're here to spy on us. The Eddy is.
Speaker 5: The most kind of politicized of the cryptids in that sense. I mean, you've got this large region of interface between these colonial powers originally and colonial interests and then eventually these Cold War interests. It's yeah, it's complicated. The Chinese eventually kicked all the monster hunters out they got sick of monster hunters watching them in Tibet.
Speaker 6: I think the Turks also kicked out all of the Arc hunters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the other raiders of the Lost Arc.
Speaker 3: That's that one's really lost.
Speaker 6: That one still lost.
Speaker 1: We still have a lot of Bigfoot sightings today and a lot of people who seem to think Bigfoot is plausible. And you guys have spoken about the Yetti and how they just aren't sightings today. Do you think that it's possible that the yetti is an urban legend that's on its way out?
Speaker 6: Good question, this goes. I mean, that's one that's one of those empirically determinable questions that there hasn't been a lot of action on the eddy front, and if there continues to be in action, then I think we would conclude. Yeah, it's it's sort of drifted out of the public conscious. But you know, all it takes is one more on one exciting find people. People love to like stuff like this, and it wouldn't take long to put it back on the front page.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think since we don't have a body, and we will always probably be getting stories about them, So you know, if they are creatures of folklore, then they'll never die. If they're if they're purely folklore, they still never die. If they're real animals, we need a body. I don't know how to put it. We need a corpse or a live one. Could be a live one, you know.
Speaker 1: So I just wonder if it could go the way of the unicorn and a lot of the other legendary creatures and that people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, so like we're it basically loses cachet and becomes everybody.
Speaker 1: Everyone, everyone knows that.
Speaker 2: Although as our our special Halloween episode will show, people still believe in fairies, even though you would think that was kind of a dead belief system.
Speaker 6: So yeah, it was surprising flat.
Speaker 3: Earth beliefs are back.
Speaker 5: All these things just go in a big wheel truth.
Speaker 2: It's true, yep, yep.
Speaker 5: But I mean, as as we were talking about earlier, it's it's very difficult to tease apart these different levels of folklore. You know, people who are in the countryside in several different countries are dealing with these bears. They have ideas about this. You know, that's one level of folklore. What uh you know is current in the cities and townships. That's a different level. What filters out to us in the West. It's a different level. And it's uh, yeah, it's hard hard to know what to make about that.
Speaker 6: But I think we've know from studying the folklore that there may have been some event or experience that set off a folklore trope, but that doesn't mean that there is a there there, that there is an actual material being. So yeah, and then of course, especially with the Eddie. But you know, even with the North American wild man of the woods, there's there's supernatural aspects in the minds of some. There are some who look at bigfoot as a supernatural creature rather than just an undiscovered relectomatid.
Speaker 3: That is.
Speaker 5: Right, there are the they are the kind of the diversity of ideas in the modern bigfoot. You know, is bigfoot bulletproof? Is an animal?
Speaker 3: Is from another dimension?
Speaker 5: Can you read my mind? All those things. But then on the other side of this kind of westernized cryptid, if you go back in time, the source material that contributed to modern sasquatch belief, to the the archetype of bigfoot, that was also diverse. You know, people all over the continent and telling wild man stories, and they weren't the same stories. You know, sometimes their wild man had a you know, a six foot quartz spike on their big toe, or they lived underwater, or these kinds of things, and they have in common this kind of universal motif of the wild man. But otherwise they're not the same. I mean, it's it's not surprising that that is a universal motif. It's the easiest kind of monster to imagine, you know, like US, but bigger, wilder, more dangerous, and and for mostly people throughout history, it's these ideas developed. They are dealing with wild men. Sometimes you know, they're the other in the tribe next door, they're they're wild, the bandits in the hills, they're wild. And uh, as you're navigating a complex world, dangerous world, it's easy to develop mythological motives around this.
Speaker 6: And and also you get you get a certain homogenization of the characteristics with popular culture and better communication and movies and radio show and I mean even before that the printed newspapers, but especially especially with the advent of movies and visual videos. I mean, we all know that, you know, the origin of the almond eyed extraterrestrial, the little green men. I mean that's that can be traced back to a very specific incident of popular culture. And you know, Bigfoot's characteristics are are I think replacing I mean that the classic Northwest Coast Oregon, northern California and big Foot characteristics are I think replacing the wild man of the woods with the six foot spike on his toe. You know, there's much more coming together because of common exposure to the same ideas.
Speaker 4: And you know, when we said about you know, when we talked about folklore, we kind of think of it when talking about Bigfoot and Yetti about modern folklore. But one of the things that brings the Yeti to Western consciousness in the first place is in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century when there was a lot of interest in the West about finding a literal paradise on Earth.
Speaker 2: Morems. Trutle, thanks for listening to the special live recording of Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. You heard myself, Blake Smith and Karen Stolesno interviewing Daniel Loxton, Brian Riegal, and Eugenie Scott about the history and science surrounding the Yeti. As I said at the beginning, we lost about six minutes of audio due to technical problems with the Google software, but Brian Reegel did talk a bit more about how there was interest in the mystical idea of Shangri law at the turn of the twentieth century. You can learn more about those ideas in Regel's book Searching for Sasquatch and in Loxton's book Abominable Science. Links to works by all our guests will be in the show notes at MonsterTalk dot org. Monster Talk is an official podcast of Skeptic Magazine, and the opinions you hear on this show are those of myself and our guests and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Skeptic Magazine or the Skeptic society. We hope you've enjoyed this episode of Monster Talk. Each episode we strive to bring you the best in monster related content, with a focus on bringing scientific skepticism into the conversation. If you enjoy Monster Talk, we now have a variety of ways to support the show, all with convenient links at monster talk dot org, forge slash support. That's monster talk dot org forge slash Support. There, we have links to our Patreon pages as well as a donation button. A great way to support the show is to buy us books from our Amazon Monster Talk wish list, which directly helps us with our research. We love usbooks very much, so don't feel compelled to buy new ones, and we love Kindle and we can share our digital library with each other. Finally, without spending any money at all, you can support us by leaving a positive review at iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts. Positive reviews help keep us visible in iTunes, which is a great way to help us find you listeners and please share our show on your favorite social media platforms. Monster Talk theme music is by Peach Stealing Monkeys. Thanks for listening. Did you know that you can now subscribe to Skeptic Magazine digitally?
Speaker 4: Just grab our free Skeptic Magazine app currently compatible with iOS, Android, p C, Mac, Kindle, Fire, Kindlefire h D, and BlackBerry Playbook. Head over to skeptic dot com slash Magazine slash app to find out more and download more of your favorite Skeptic content.