Speaker 1: Welcome to Guardians Weekly on the Cleveland Guardians Radio Network. Guardians Weekly is brought to you by Progressive helping Guardians fans save hundreds.
Speaker 2: On car insurance.
Speaker 1: Hi, everyone, welcome to Guardians Weekly. Jim Rosenhouse along with you from downtown Cleveland and Progressive Field, the site of the American League Championship Series this weekend as Games three, four, and five are here in downtown Cleveland, with Game five coming up later today Saturday night at eight eight the first pitch time for the Guardians and the New York Yankees, as the Guardians are trying to send the series back to New York for a Game six. They trail the series three games to one, and we will tell you how they got there to this point in our show this week, as we'll recap games one, two in New York and then three and four here in Cleveland. The two games here in Cleveland absolute thrillers, especially Game three, the extra inning win for Cleveland, So we'll get right to that when we come back after this time out. The Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 2: Is October.
Speaker 1: Baseball Agony and ecstasy can come at you in a hurry.
Speaker 3: Drivers who switch and save with Progressive could save hundreds, which could be life changing life. I mean, you could put that money towards concert tickets for your daughter to see that singer who sings about painful breakups and one song will inspire your little beauty to break up with that beast. Cha's dating Brian Instead, She'll date someone who's nice and worthy of her love, not someone who addresses you in your spouse is bro And it's all because you could save money. Switching at Progressive dot com. Progressive Casualty Insurance Company in affliate's not available in all states.
Speaker 1: From the Bronx Yankee Stadium in New York. It is Game one of the American League Championship Series, a best of seven whether a birth in the World Series against either the Dodgers or the Mets. October Baseball and its best Welcome back to Guardians Weekly. Jim Rosenhaus back with you from Progressive Field in downtown Cleveland, as the Guardians and New York Yankees are doing battle in the American League Championship Series. And that has happened quite a bit. A meeting in the postseason between these two franchises, the seventh time that they're meeting in a postseason series and the second time they have met in the American League Championship Series, and it began in New York on Monday, after the Guardians had disposed of the Tigers in a five game American League Division series. The Yankees took care of the Royals in four games to get to this point, and on Monday, it was Carlos Rodin going for the Yankees, Alex Cobb on the mound for the Guardians, and Cob wiggled his way out of jams in the first and second innings, but in the third, Juan Soto was the leadoff man and he delivered the game's first run. In his career against Alex Cobb, Juan Soto has gone eight for twelve with two home runs. He spreads himself out at the plate up on that front toe down the two to one delivery, and he hits a ton to deep right center field on the runners Thomas.
Speaker 2: On the track near the wall gall.
Speaker 1: And he continues to pummel Alex Cobb a towering solo homer to the Yankee penn and right center, and Juan Soto makes it one nothing New York. He got a ninety four mile an hour fastball, and he didn't miss it. Soto's first postseason home run here in twenty twenty four. Cob got two outs in the third, but the command left him at that point as he walked three batters to load the bases, and Stephen Vote turned things over to his bullpen, starting with Joey Cantillo Rizzo single to center, his first time he looks at a pitch in the dirt, kicks up the first baseline fliptogal home plate area. Tintillo caught up with no chance to get judged. Wild pitch makes it two nothing Yankees. The one two offering in the dirt to the backstop three nothing New York. Wow, So two wild pitches scoring two runs, although the walk would have scored a run anyway, but this is getting ugly. Two more walks in the fourth inning led to an aeron judge sack fly that made it four nothing New York, and it stayed that way until the sixth, when Brian Rochio put the Guardians on the board with one swing. Carlos Rodin, he delivers and it's hit a ton too deep?
Speaker 2: What field?
Speaker 4: For get it?
Speaker 2: Go one to the lower deck.
Speaker 1: Brian rookieo has put Cleveland on the board. Why what a postseason The young man has had hit three seventy five in the Division Series and he's just hammered one, no doubt about it, shot to deep left and Cleveland now trails at four to one here in the sixth inning. But in the seventh, the Yankees got that run right back with Gan Carlos Stanton showing off the power.
Speaker 2: The O one swung in.
Speaker 1: Hit a ton deep left center. Forget about it, so Gan Carlos Stanton, boy, has he been a machine down through the years when it comes to postseason play, And that was a howitzer and the Yankees had their first hit since the third, a solo blast to left center here in the seventh. But as we've seen all season, the Guardians don't give up. In the eighth inning, singles from he metez In Rochio brought Stephen Kwan to the play. Now the set the pitch, Kwan hits a shot to third by the diving Chisholm in the scores he meant as Rokio stops at third and Kwan now with a new club record eleven game hitting streak in postseason play, and the Guardians trail at five to two and have runners at the corners, and the Yankees go to the closer, Luke Weaver. So this club that has been resilient from day one back in March when the campaign began in Oakland, they're not going away quietly tonight. But Yankees closer Luke Weaver came on to get the final two outs in the eighth, and he was back out there trying to close out Game one in the ninth. Two down. Thomas started the ending with the walk. He's still planted at first five to two New York ninth innings. Again, the two strength pitch to hedges swinging a miss got him with a changeup and Game one goes to New York five to two. So that was it, the Yankees taking Game one, setting the stage for Tuesday nights. Game two, also at Yankee Stadium, and the Guardians had tanner byby on the mount. The first two Yankee hitters reached, and then some untimely sloppy defense led to the game's first run down the set and delivery a swing and a towering pop up on the infield near second base. The shortstop Brian Rochio goes.
Speaker 4: And tops the ball. It rolls in the right. Everybody is safe for wrong scores.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, disaster in the Bronx. That'll be an air no RDI one nothing New York first and second with nobody out, and you wonder. There are a few light sprinkles falling. But Brian Rokio gold glove capliver shortstop booted a pretty routine pop up. Later in that first inning, some great defense kept the Guardians down by just a run. Now the two to one delivery and Stanton swings in skies one to deep right field, down the line, long run for Brennan on the track, slides in the corner.
Speaker 2: It's a foul ball.
Speaker 4: He caught it.
Speaker 1: He disappeared from our field, but he made the sliding catch in foul ground near the right field corner, completely out of our sight line.
Speaker 2: What a play by Will Brennan.
Speaker 1: And Yankees stay it first and second and now there are two men out. That's as big a play as you'll see an outfielder make in what is such a critical first inning, because Cleveland just cannot let New York smell blood and blow this thing open. In the second, the Yankees' bats were back at it, back to back singles started the inning, and that brought Alex Erdugo to the plate.
Speaker 2: The pitch swung.
Speaker 1: On trail the left basic down the line into the corner, hoping scores Grizzles on his way to third RBI double four Verdugo, two nothing Yankees and the bottom third with three screen hits to start the inning. And now you go back to the top of the order and Biby's in a heap of trouble. Aaron Judge had it a sackfly in that second inning to make it three to nothing New York and it stayed that way until the fifth. That's when the Guardians got something going against Yankees starter Garrett Cole Kuan and Manzardo singled and then a walk to Jose Ramirez loaded the bases for Josh Naylor. The two oh delivery swung on and here's a high fly ball to aright, but this will stay in, should be deep enough to score the run. Soto makes the catch, tagging heading for home, scoring easily as kwan As the throw comes in to the middle of the diamond and Naylor knocks the run in. The Guardians are on the board. It's now New York three, Cleveland one later, on in the fifth bas is full of guardians once again, and Will Brennan was the batter. Brennan, left handed batter against the right hander. Here's the pitch and it's swung on, bounced right side, grabbed by Rizzo, goes to second for one and that's it. They get the force Manzardo scores from third and it's now a one run ball game. On the force out at second that brings in a run three to two.
Speaker 2: The Yankees lead.
Speaker 1: Now in the sixth, the Yankees responded with a man on and the always dangerous Anthony Rizzo at the plate. Sabrowski's won one pitch and Rizzo swings lines.
Speaker 4: It to right, Fibble down the line.
Speaker 1: Kicks up the sidewalk into third bases. Holpy, he'll be stopped now the ball bottle here comes Hope, come to the plate, not in time, and bren.
Speaker 2: And we'll be charged with an air.
Speaker 1: He was stopped at third and then voting with a misplayout there scores a man at the Yankee run on a double by Anthony Rizzo, and it's now four to two New York.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And it was almost just a matter of time before Aaron Judge made his presence known, and he did so in the seventh with a man on now the one to one delivery swung on hit high in the air to center back as Thomas Thomas on the track near the wall. It's gone, yeap, look out now Aaron Judge finally gets that two run, the home run. It just kept carrying the center and at six to two.
Speaker 2: New York here in the Big Apple.
Speaker 1: Aaron Judge was two for seventeen in this October and once again he got a pitch away. And that's where he keeps killing Cleveland. Until you start to crowd him. You're in trouble. One last shot for the Guardians in the ninth inning, they got a little closer thanks to Jose Ramirez. The pitch in, Ramirez drills one to deep bright field and this is gone Jose Ramirez with a line drive homer to right. It's his second this postseason, his first hit in the ALCS and Cleveland trailing it six to three here in the ninth and Luke Weaver has given up his first run in the Yankees October postseason. But that would be it is once again New York closer Luke Weaver finished the job. Laine Thomas awaits the one two pitch. Here comes swinging a chopper to third, ches and gloves it fires. Game over, the Yankees take to first two in New York. Cleveland now is down oh two, heading to Cleveland for Game three on Thursday night.
Speaker 2: So the final here tonight in New York.
Speaker 1: Yankees beat the Guardians six to three. After the ball game, Guardians manager Steven Vote met with the media in New York and said, will to nothing. Deficit in the series is not ideal. There was still a lot of baseball left to play for the Guardians.
Speaker 5: Steven, what do you need to do to turn the series around?
Speaker 6: Be us keep doing what we're doing. We had traffic all night tonight. We do what we do. We get on base we make things happen. We just didn't get a big hit with the run and scoring position tonight.
Speaker 2: You know, we're one.
Speaker 6: Swinging the bat away from taking the lead in that game. Where one swinging the bat for being right back in and that's who we are.
Speaker 2: We don't quit.
Speaker 6: We just need to keep being us.
Speaker 1: Stephen, you guys are down zero to two, go home three games.
Speaker 3: What do you change mentally and physicley to here for the next three games.
Speaker 6: Absolutely nothing. We just need to keep being us. This is who we are, you know. We we've lost two games, That's that's what's true. We have an opportunity to go at home, play in front of our fans, and this is who this baseball team is. We don't quit, We keep fighting. We did it again tonight and I'm excited to get home to Cleveland and play in front of our fans.
Speaker 2: Hi, Stephen, just understanding your bullpen has a strength of the team. Just what are some of the challenges having to go to it so early two days in a row.
Speaker 6: Present, I mean, just that is that these guys have pitched a lot all year. Again, we didn't overextend anyone today. We didn't over extend anyone yesterday. So with the off day, our bullpen should be right back to full strength and you know, we'll regroup and we'll get after it.
Speaker 1: So the team's had an off day on Wednesday before Game three Thursday night at Progressive Field. Matt Boyd would get the start for the Guardians in Game three, and we caught up with him during the workout on Wednesday and he talked about how having two postseason starts under his Belt already would help, but is he prepared to face the Yankees one more time.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's it's always welcome to have. You know, my game is still my game, whether it's the postseason, the regular season, or anywhere in between. So yeah, it's fun to have. It's fun to you know, it's always exciting to pitch in the postseason. But when it comes down to it, you know, the game is still a game. You go put the ball in your hand, you go compete.
Speaker 1: Getting that first opportunity to really get into postseason play. Anything surprise you at all or anything different than what maybe you expected.
Speaker 5: I think it's how invigorating it is. It's just so cool to play in front of our fans and feel the excitement from them. That's something really special.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: This park has been rocking when we get to play at home here, so we're excited to be back here and play in front of our fans.
Speaker 1: You've had a chance to watch the first two games. What do you do as a starting pitcher knowing that you're most likely going to be starting game three to kind of go to go to school on any other team? What are you looking for?
Speaker 5: You just watch the way they approached the tendencies. It's just kind of the overall strategy of the game. What guys are trying to do. Do your best to understand it, do your best to take what you can, not overanalyze it, because when it comes down to it, you know, approaches may change when you're in the you're on the mound as compared to somebody else. So you just watch the game and and use the best as you can to prepare yourself with you know what the days to come and.
Speaker 1: The teams down oh two, but you were trailing the Tigers in the American League Division Series. Uh, what did you learn from that? You think or your teammates learned from that that could be helpful here in this series against the Yankees.
Speaker 5: I think that it doesn't matter any deficit that we're at, that we go forward regardless.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: It's a I think what speaks to the character of this team is that regardless of where we are, it's like, let's just go play our game. We know it's our game. We've won many in a row. We've been with our backs against the wall before. Our game is our game. But we're going to continue to stick to it and go play it and knowing that, Hey, that's like, that's that's just what we do. It doesn't matter, you know, the situation that surrounds us.
Speaker 1: Matt have fun out there today.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Thanks Rosie.
Speaker 1: So Boyd was getting ready to start Game three, and it would turn out to be one of the great games of this or any season, and we'll review that one for you when we come back after this. As we continue on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network, welcome back to Guardians Weekly. Chimrosen House back with you from Progressive Field in downtown Cleveland, where the Guardians and Yankees are meeting in the American League Championship Series. Game five coming your way tonight. If you're listening to this on the radio podcast form, well you'd probably know what happened already. But on Saturday night, it's an eight h eight first pitch airtime for Guardians warm up seven thirty five as the Guardians try and keep their season alive. And one of the reasons we have a Game five, one of the great games of any season, be it regular season or postseason, came Thursday night. In Game three. The Yankees got the scoring started in the second inning a walk in a double put two men on for catcher Jose Travigno, making his first start of the series. Now the one to one swung on drill, the right up base hit, that'll score Volpi. Verdugo stops at third, and how about that Travigno delivers an RBI single the other way. New York was looking to add some more in that second inning, but Matthew Boyd was on the mound for the Guardians, and he found a way to limit the damage.
Speaker 2: The set and the.
Speaker 1: Throat the first he got him picked off, Naylor's got him in a rundown between first and second. Jimenos runs him back to first, tag made by Boyd. Folding at third is Verdugo and Jose Travigno gets picked off. The Yankees in the last two games have ahead three base runners picked off. In the third inning, Brian Rokio got things started with a base hit and with one out, Kyle Manzardo came to the plate.
Speaker 2: Now the three to one.
Speaker 1: Manzarta with a drive today bright away back and go.
Speaker 4: Kyle Manzarto.
Speaker 1: What a joyous joint around the bases, Oh, no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: Two run home run and for the first.
Speaker 1: Time in the American League Championship Series. Cleveland's got a lead add two to one. So now pitching with a lead, Boyd was back at it and getting better as the game moved on. Here's the two to one pitch swung on, ground ball to short. Rocchio gobbles it up, throws to first in time for the out. Another three up, three down inning.
Speaker 2: For Matthew Boyd.
Speaker 1: Ten in a row, retired by the vetter and lefty, and he gets a standing oh heading back to the dugout. We will head to the bottom of the fifth. It's the Guardians two, the Yankees one. And in the bottom of the sixth, the Guardians tried to add on to that lead. Lane Thomas with a walk, moved a second on a ground out, and then made it to third and at the plate it was Andre Simenez.
Speaker 2: Now the payoff pitch.
Speaker 1: Swung on, grounded up the middle, pace hit Hardy I single center, Pevedos coast through with a thrown in infield. He shut it right back up the middle and Cleveland's got itself a lead of.
Speaker 2: Three to one.
Speaker 1: Great work by Tim Herron shut down the Yankees in the seventh, and Hunter Gaddis came on to get the first two outs in the eighth, but then a walk to Juan Soto and manager Stephen Vote turned it over to his closer, Emmanuel Class to face the dangerous Aaron Judge. Now the one two pitch swung on drill, deep break field. This is trouble. This ball is going to be gone and we are tied. He just cleared the nine foot wall and Aaron Judge has tied this game at three. Aaron Judge hit a laser that just got over the ninth foot wall and right.
Speaker 2: It's a three to three game in the eighth.
Speaker 1: And Aaron Judge has come through in the most incredible way here in the eighth inning. Oh, a shocker to be sure. And the very next batter was John Carlos Stanton. Now the one two Stanton swings and hits it high, deep to right.
Speaker 2: This ball is.
Speaker 1: Done and the Yankees fly out of the first base dugout, jumping up and down as Stanton's mammoth postseason continues. His second home run in the ALCS and the Yankees leaded four to three here in the eighth inning, and from being almost a Marty Gras atmosphere now stunned silence in downtown Cleveland. It didn't look good for the Guardians as they failed to score in the bottom of the eighth inning, and then the Yankees tacked on an insurance run in the top half of the ninth on a sack fly from Glabor Torres that made it five to three Yankees. So we went to the bottom half of the ninth inning. Jose Ramirez reached thanks to an Anthony Rizzo error, but New York closer Luke Weaver got Josh Naylor to hit into a double play, and now the Guardians were down to their final out with Lane Thomas at the plate. Here it comes a swing by Lane Thomas in a fly to deep center back, goes judge on the track, flicking up place, the ricochet off the nineteen foot wall and a two out doubled as center by Lane Thomas keeps Cleveland in the line by that ball had some carry to it, and then upstep Big Christmas John Kenzie Noel. John Kenzie Noel's last home run came against Pittsburgh August thirtieth. No time like the present five to three Yankees runner at second, two down ninth inning and the one zero pitch swing out in.
Speaker 4: The header deep two.
Speaker 1: In Cleveland, John Kenzie Noel un tape measure job to the bleachers and left.
Speaker 2: We are tied at five. Now what a.
Speaker 1: Game, What a moment it was, and on to extra innings. The game went the Yankees. They got a man on with one out in the top half of the tenth inning and the speedy Jazz Chisholm at the play. The one ozer swung out a high chopper toward right Graby. He met his spence throws to first.
Speaker 4: Naylor dug it up.
Speaker 1: He was in foul ground with his foot on the bag. He met us on that high chopper, flagged it down in right field, spun short hoped the throat of first. Naylor with a great stretch and foul ground made the play. Reliever Pedro abby Law then struck out Anthony Volpi and it was on to the tenth bottom half with the game still tied at five. Leading things off for the Guardians, it was bow Naylor the pitch, Naylor with a rip job in the right betch of Ashet and the winning runs at first. Bow Naylor and Austin Hedges both were headless in this October run and both get their first hits tonight, Brian Rochio laid down a great sack bunt to move Naylor up to second. Stephen Kwan grounded out that put Naylor at third. But now there were two outs, and the last hope for the Guardians in the tenth was David Frye Holmes is ready.
Speaker 2: Here it comes, swinging, hit.
Speaker 4: High, hit deep to left their she goes oh, look off to.
Speaker 1: Run home run to the bleachers and left by David fry and the magical twenty twenty fourth season is not done by any means. What a scene. It was a progressive field and moments later Matthew Boyd stopped by to join us from down on the field before we talk about your incredible job that set the tone here tight.
Speaker 2: Have you ever seen anything like this?
Speaker 5: This is just who we are. This is so awesome that the never down, never out. It doesn't matter what it is, who this team is. It's so special, man, This is ah. This is cool.
Speaker 1: Well, Matthew, if there's any way you can explain it to us peons that we're never good enough to play at this level?
Speaker 2: How can you have this game in hand? Have it ripped out of you?
Speaker 1: In the eighth inning by judging Stanton, be down to your last out, get a double, a pinch at Homer, then win it a t I mean, how does this happen?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's I mean, it's it's who we are.
Speaker 5: It's it's it's it's in our DNA, it's in our it's our identity. It's like we're never down, we're never out.
Speaker 2: It's it's you know.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's that's just that, that's what it comes down to is and that's what you got to be in postseason baseball. Adversity is gonna hit some way or another, and.
Speaker 2: It's just next man up.
Speaker 5: And uh, I mean, this is what we do, you know, And it's it's man, it's it's it's awesome. It's who we are.
Speaker 1: And then prior to Game four on Friday night, we had a chance to catch up with the extra inning hero David Frye, who says that it's a game that will be tough to top in his career.
Speaker 7: Oh one hundred percent. I mean, still not really a whole lot of time to let it sink in, because obviously we got to move on and play today and get a win today. But I mean just the different terms of the game of where we think we have it won and then we're behind and then John Kinsey ties it up. I mean, like you said, I mean there was him and as defensive plays Thomas had big a bat's boat, comes in and gets a big hit to lead off the tenth I mean there was five hundred guys who I mean Walters gets us out of a jam in the in the top of the ninth to keep it close. I mean, there were so many guys who had a huge part in that game.
Speaker 1: You mentioned John Kenzie tying it up. They always say, you know, don't go up there thinking about home run. But with him, is that what everyone's thinking when he goes to the plate. Hey, you know this is the guy who can tie it with one swing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I think that's why he was in the game. It was like, alright, we're down two runner on Like, if there's anybody who can try to hit a homer and hit a homer, it's him. And I mean I still don't know how he did it, but he did.
Speaker 1: And how about you as you come to the plate in the tenth inning with a chance to win it. You have that runner in scoring position, but as your approach any different than it would be from normal.
Speaker 7: I mean, with the runner on in two outs, it's kind of just your normal approach and just trying to get a good pitch to hit and hit it through the middle. And I mean, that guy's got nasty stuff, and I was just trying to see something up and was able to get a barrel on the ball man.
Speaker 1: All we went to Game four, Guardians trying to tie up the series at two wins apiece, but it didn't take long. Four of them went them to swing back to the Yankees. As in the first inning, they got the leadoff man on and one Soto stepped in. Now the three to one pitch to Soto and it's had a ton to deep right center field. Back is steaming on the track at the wall. It's gone the end of the bullpen, and the Yankees get a two run home run to right center and one Sodo as quickly, putting the Yankees on top two to nothing. The Guardians tried to answer in the bottom half of the first Steven Kwan got it started with a walk. Then Kyle Manzardo came to the plate. Now the set in the one swung and ripped to first over the head of the leaf bing grizzle down the right field line, kicks into the corner, put on his way to third Manxardo in standing with a two bagger and just like that, the tying runs in scoring position. This crowd back in it. And then it was Jose Ramirez getting the job done outfield, deep toward rank. The pitch a swing and a fly ball medium deep left. This should score a run for du Goo catches Kwon tags he'll score.
Speaker 2: Throw to third.
Speaker 1: Guardians on the board. Jose Ramirez a sac fly to left, his second RBI in the series, and Cleveland has an answer for New York. But the Yankee Bats were back at it in the second. This time their catcher was Austin Wells, and he came up with a big blow. Now the wind inn delivery and he drives. When the air in a deep center bank goes Thomas licking up, it is gone and the Yankees laid at three to one. In the third Stephen Kwan got it going with a single stole second, and then Josh Naylor was at the plate looking for a big two out hit. Change up, swung out a float to the left, coming hard for Dugo.
Speaker 4: It drops a book.
Speaker 1: Single Kawn coming home front of the plate, not in time. Kawn slides in safely, and a bloop single to left by Nailer makes it a one run game. It stayed a one run game until the sixth inning. That's when the Yankees put two men aboard, and then a very rare hiccup from Kate Smith. Facing the always dangerous Jean Carlos Stanton, the pitch to him and he hits a high drive into a deep left field on its way to the bleachers. Jean Carlos Stanton has the Yankees flying out of the first base dugout, fist pumps dancing outside the dugout on a two strike pitch. Finally, the Yankees have gotten to Caid Smith. He got a fastball, he didn't miss it, a three run home run to the bleachers and left, and the Yankees have taken a six to two lead and cade Smith has arguably his first bat outing of the year. So a big hole for the Guardians to climb out of this time. But anyone who thought that this game was over, well they hadn't watched this team all season long. We headed to the bottom half of the seventh, Brian Rochio led off drew a walk. Stephen Kwan followed with a single and that set the table for Jose Ramirez play. Holmes is ready again. The payoff pitch I was swinging.
Speaker 2: A shot by the diving rizzont first down the right field line, end of the corner.
Speaker 1: Rokyo scores pawned a third Ramirez to second.
Speaker 2: Josey comes through.
Speaker 1: It's a six to three game on an RBI double by the diving Rizzo at first and Jose Ramirez with his third postseason double, his sixth postseason RBI and the Cleveland Guardians are not dead yet. And then Josh Naylor came through with a big hit. Now the one ozer pitch, swing a line.
Speaker 4: Drive, turn to get bright center base hit.
Speaker 2: It'll go to the wall.
Speaker 1: Pawn will score, Ramrez, will score.
Speaker 2: Naylor with a two run double.
Speaker 1: It's now six five the Yankees in the seventh and Pandemonium off.
Speaker 2: The light front.
Speaker 1: Hunter Gannis came on to shut down the Yankees in the top half of the eighth inning, and in the bottom of the eighth bo Naylor got it started just like he did in the tenth inning on Thursday night. Naylor rips Wonder right down the line, fair ball, It'll kick into the corner. Naylor's on as lan a second. It gets hung up in that corner. He'll stop there.
Speaker 2: With a lad off double.
Speaker 1: Brian Rochio's ground out moved Naylor up to third. With one out, Yankees pitcher Mark Lighter Junior induced Quan to pop out to the second baseman for the second out in the inning, and it was up to David Fry again, batting with two outs and Naylor's still at third. He hits it off the end of the band, knocked down, kicked around by the pitcher, flips the first toky Rizzle from going to second.
Speaker 4: Eve time, Naylor.
Speaker 1: Scars and Anthony Rizzo's nightmare at first continues. Another unbelievable comeback for the Guardians. But the Yankees didn't give in either, and once again they found a way to get to closer Emmanuel Clause. This time in the ninth with two on, it was Alex Verdugo at the plate again. The infield part way in Verdugo jam jabbarole by the mound. This will get a run home booted by Rochio. Everybody's safe. Yankees up seven to six. Labor Torre has added an RBI single later in the inning to make it eight to six, and in the bottom of the ninth the Guardians threatened. I walked to John Kenzie Noel, followed by Andre Semenez single. It put two men out with two outs, and Brian Rochio at the plate swung on ground ball to second backhanded booted by the second basement. Cabrera recovers and throws to first to get the ball.
Speaker 2: Game over.
Speaker 1: Oh, the Yankees almost booted it and so here in the ninth inning, Cleveland got two on with one out, but Tommy Cainley finished it off and the Yankees, now with a commanding three games to one lead, out last Cleveland tonight in another thriller by a final score of eight to six. So a frustrating ending for the Guardians on Friday night, and again the Yankees take a three to one lead in the series. They can wrap it up on Saturday night at Progressive Field. Guardians desperately trying to get the series back to New York for a potential game six on Monday evening. Stay with us, We'll have some final thoughts after this timeout.
Speaker 8: When you switch and save with Progressive, you could use that money towards scoring court side seats for your favorite team. Progressive cannot guarantee that you can score court side seats. Drivers who switch and save with Progressive good save one hundreds on average, but court side seats can be astronomical. Maybe if your team plays in a smaller market, you could swing it. Even still, it's unlikely. Maybe fourthrow which are still incredible seats that you'll enjoy greatly. Savings possible court side lung shot switch and see if you can save at Progressive dot Com, Progressive Cashley Insurance and Affiliate.
Speaker 3: It's not available in all states.
Speaker 8: Progressive cannot guarantee that someone really tall will not sit in front of you at the game, rendering your excellen seats just okay.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Guardians Weekly. Jim Rosenhouse back with you from Progressive Field, downtown Cleveland, where tonight the Guardians try and keep what has been just a tremendous season going. If they can win tonight, they extend the series and head to New York for a Game six on Monday night. But again they have to win or the season is over. As after last night's Yankees win with two in the ninth, they have taken a commanding three to one lead in the series. It'll be Tanner Byby on the Hill for the Guardians, Carlos Rodin for the Yankees, and we'll get it started with the Guardian's warm up show at seven thirty five, and we will join you with another edition of Guardians Weekly, whether the Guardians are playing or not, next week weekend and until then. Thanks so it's always going out to Brian Matze for all of his help on our shows each and every week. This is Jim Rosenhause reminding you that you've been listening to Guardians Weekly on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network. Guardians Weekly has been brought to you by Progressive helping Guardians fans save hundreds on car insurance k