Speaker 1: Last episode, we began the story of the Sexton family cult, so we recommend you check that out first because now we are covering the remainder of the case in part two. Today.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim.
Speaker 1: A true crime podcasting. The following material intended for a mature audience. Listener discretion is advised. You ready for part two?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Are you sure?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Do you remember what happened in part one? Let's start with that.
Speaker 2: I do for the most part.
Speaker 1: I would say you do for the most part.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean it was a fucked up story to remember.
Speaker 1: That, touche you can. You may also remember that it was requested over on Patreon. We did a little poll for the last couple episodes on Hey, let's get some case recommendations, some suggestions, and this one was brought up in that list. And speaking of Patreon, we have some new patrons to thank who signed up and they have the opportunity to go recommend cases as well over there, So shout out to Erica Bone, Minnie Hatanan, Vicky Elder, Megan Warren and they got to scroll up. Is that the remainder of the list. Yes, Megan, you were the last one to sign up this week, so thank you very much. Shout out to you guys for showing that support over on page.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Sorry, real quick if you're interested, links down below in the description so you can sign up too.
Speaker 2: I was just going to say they're doing our dirty work, hey, but I mean it's a win win. They're recommend in cases they want us to hear, and then when we need a case without having time to, like, you know, scroll the.
Speaker 1: Interwebs, go search for one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just go to that list.
Speaker 1: So it is a win win, And honestly, there's some some wild cases that have been suggested, so I might be feeding off that list for a little while here to come. But there are also ones I'm wanting to cover here on my own little lists that are on the back burner. So we'll see. We'll be going back and forth here. Definitely be covering a lot.
Speaker 2: You know, I actually have a giant list of cases I want to cover.
Speaker 1: You're supposed to be covering one this month, which means you you're supposed to be doing next episode technical speak, We're.
Speaker 2: Going to have to just see. Okay, if I don't like I will make it up to y'all at some point. Just bear with me.
Speaker 1: So that means December, Nicole.
Speaker 2: It's on my list for this year, but I also have a million and one photos to enter.
Speaker 1: Here's the deal if you do not do one for November, which you're basically telling us right now you're not doing.
Speaker 2: I said, there's I said, basically, I won't be.
Speaker 1: I said, basically, hold on. So here's the deal.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I want to make a deal with you, I give me.
Speaker 1: A mo I'm gonna speak for all of you guys out there right now. I'm assuming you're on the same page as me wanting to call to cover one. So I'm going to speak for all of us when I make this deal. You do such a good job, though, Okay, can you stop interrupting me please, because you're not digging yourself out of this fucking hole. I'm going to represent everyone and making this bargain here. You will get off the hook for doing a November case as long as you do a Christmas case for whatever day falls closest to Christmas. It's got to be a Christmas story. It's got to be a good deep dive and it's got to be close to Christmas that you come up with that episode, the closest one, whatever date it falls on. Okay, how's that for a deal?
Speaker 2: So what does that mean that I need to do two in December then? Because I got to do one at some point in December and a Christmas e one?
Speaker 1: No, this is it. Oh, it's got to be a Christmas one. You are going to be the Christmas episode, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Well, going forward, I do definitely want to do one a month. That is like my goal for twenty twenty five, and it's like a pretty small goal. I should be able to.
Speaker 1: Do this fair enough, fair enough, So okay, looking at the calendar, that means you have to come out with an episode on the twenty fourth Christmas Eve.
Speaker 2: Okay, I see what you're saying there. Okay, sure, yeah, I love Christmas. I mean that's kind of a bummer though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the story's got to be Christmas themed, so it's got to be.
Speaker 2: I have gotten some of those before, like John Benet Ramsey. I'm pretty sure was it just like was around Christmas that it happened, and there's been another one.
Speaker 1: As long as you do that again, and it comes out on Christmas Eve.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have to figure out one then that's Christmas Eve. Yeah, sure, I'll take that deal. That's not too bad. I was like thinking I was going to be making a deal with the devil there.
Speaker 1: So no, it's just there we go. That's the deal. And you do not get off the hook on this one. Okay.
Speaker 2: Oh no, there's no way I can again.
Speaker 1: Shake on it. Shake on it right now. Okay, we need like sound effects. Okay, hold on, we got to get him up to Mike or something. Let's hold on. Here we go, there we go. Deal deal. Okay, we shook on it and drinking on it too.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, here cheers with my glass of water. There you go.
Speaker 1: Okay, we've been rambling here. Let's get on to this. So in the last episode we discussed the sex and Family cult. Eddie Sexton was the father of the family, of course, and to sum it up, we don't like Eddie. He's a deuce canoe. He is a mean individual. He abuses his family both mentally and physically. He controls everyone and there every move. His family lives in constant fear of him. And when we left off, we're just kind of touching on the sexual abuse both that he and his wife put the children through. Now, his wife May was often helping him commit these acts, though as far as we areware, she never committed them herself. It's been years of marriage to a monster at this point, and it seems that the relationship to this monster finally turned her kind soul over to his rotten side. Yes, that's kind of where we left off.
Speaker 2: Yes, I do remember all that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, now, the oldest daughter of Eddie and May was actually named after her mother, because her first name was actually Estella May. She just goes by May, so she was actually named after May, though everyone just called her Pixie. Now, Pixie was definitely Eddie's favorite child, and because of the favoritism, he treated her a little bit differently, and of course because of that, she was more loyal to him as well, and she'd often tell on the other children if they did anything wrong. So she would often kind of go running to him and be that tattletale type.
Speaker 2: You know, well, I remember too you saying about them in school. Yeah, they were given money to phone, right exactly.
Speaker 1: We're all lined up in the morning, given a quarter each, and you make a phone call if you see something. But yeah, Pixie was kind of playing the part of Eddie's informant, at least more than the other children were. She was kind of like the eyes and ears when he wasn't around. But by the time Pixie was seventeen, she and her father were sleeping together on a regular basis. But for Pixie it wasn't abuse. See, Pixie was in love with her father. Now, obviously there is abuse taking place, and she was obviously manipulated into this incestual relationship. So she more so thought she was in love with him, but more than likely there was a serious case of Stockholm syndrome gripping her and making her really believe it.
Speaker 2: Okay, so my head didn't go to where I guess it was supposed to. I just thought they were just like sleeping in the same bed kind of like, No, they were they thought, oh, yeah, that is that's not good.
Speaker 1: Okay, No, because last last episode we kind of left off with that sexual abuse kind of picking up there a bit still, dang, Okay, Now the family is messed up as their lives were did experience some moments of joy, though occasionally, for example, the family would cut loose in the evenings and the family would have a little bit of a family dance night in the living room. Yeah, a good old fashioned so cop just just happened in the house.
Speaker 2: I do like that. That's like real cool.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: That is about the only cool thing I feel like I've heard in the story.
Speaker 1: So it is. However, during one of these evenings, when everyone was feeling good, Eddie took the opportunity to make an announcement to the family. Eddie was going to marry his oldest daughter, Pixie.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, Yeah, he.
Speaker 1: Kind of fucked the mood that evening, and everyone was shocked as Pixie then suddenly emerged from another room wearing a wedding veil.
Speaker 2: Oh, like it was happening that night.
Speaker 1: It was happening right then and there.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that's not good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right in front of his family, right in front of his very confused wife.
Speaker 2: Okay, she wasn't a part of this as far as you know, Like it wasn't like it was just like surprise to her.
Speaker 1: Too, I think so. Yes, Eddie right in front of them all, performed a mock wedding ceremony and Mary, his daughter right there in the living room. Though, I don't think it was like a legal wedding, legally binding, but hey, to them, it was all the same. Now, this reportedly wasn't the only time he would go on to do this, as he would apparently marry a few of his other daughters as well. But not long after the first ceremony with Pixie, it was revealed that she was now pregnant. Okay, yeah, this was during her junior year of high school, which would put around the age of sixteen seventeen, No.
Speaker 2: Shit, so she wasn't even done at school correct Now.
Speaker 1: If you recall, Eddie had absolute control over his family, right, Pixie wasn't allowed to date, wasn't allowed to speak to boys, or even leave the house on supervised So her pregnancy shocked classmates quite a bit, who were aware of the strict control of this family dynamic that was going on. So, needless to say, there was a lot of questions. So to battle the incoming questions that everyone had, Eddie concocted a bit of a story claiming that the baby's father was a military man who had briefly been in town and then you know, left again. While it was something the public could buy, the sext and children themselves and the family. Within the walls of the home, they knew the truth. Eddie was the father.
Speaker 2: That is just so mind blowing.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm. So, in nineteen eighty nine, Pixie gave birth to a baby girl that she named Dawn, and the following year, during her senior high school year, Pixie became pregnant once again.
Speaker 2: And you said nineteen eighty nine, correct, Okay, that is quite a while ago. But I feel like it's not quite a while ago because I was like one years old. One year old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's nearly forty years ago, babe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but still I feel like.
Speaker 1: I feel like he was shocked for a moment there.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's not that long ago, but I guess it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're talking, we're encroaching on half a century.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but still, I feel like nineteen hundred or something like. I feel like this should be happening in like nineteen fifty, nineteen sixty, Okay, not the nineties.
Speaker 1: Well technically it's the eighties.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, technically, okay.
Speaker 1: But during this time with the second pregnancy, Eddie just reused the same excuse about a brief encounter with a military man, and Pixie gave birth to his second daughter, named Shasta. Now the next part may be rough for some to hear, so trigger warning regarding babies. You might want to skip ahead a minute or two to avoid this. So, as I mentioned with the weddings, Pixie wasn't the only one, and so it was too with pregnancies. Sherry, one of the daughters, would also become pregnant at the age of eighteen as well. This time, though Eddie panicked a bit, Pixie already had two kids with him, so another pregnancy risked exposing his secrets. Suspicions were growing in the community about how Pixie became pregnant and had these two children, and now Sherry's pregnancy would draw even more serious scrutiny. So to avoid all the hassle, Eddie ordered his James to kick Sherry in the stomach, and James did as he was told, and Sherry lost the baby the next day.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, Maybe he just shouldn't have sex with his fucking children.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: Also, because so much can go wrong with.
Speaker 1: That too, you betcha, But no he yeah, I'm not going to continue talking about that. It's a rough talk.
Speaker 2: That's terrible.
Speaker 1: But yeah, Sherry would become pregnant again shortly after, and for unknown reasons, Eddie decided to allow her to keep this one, and she would go on to birth a baby boy she named Christopher.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, this is just such bullshit listening to this right now, you good, I don't know, I'm pretty like pissed off right.
Speaker 1: Now, understandable. That's a fucked up thing to do that.
Speaker 2: All of this is just so fucked Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and we're we're just getting rolling in this here, so right on, we're on part two and we're like just getting rolling, so trust me. Yeah. So all three of these kids that Eddie had birth with his own children down, Shasta and Christopher lived under the same roof as the rest of the Sexton family. Now, Eddie's paranoia about the law enforcement began to grow, because he was already kind of a paranoid to people starting to catch on, and he became convinced that the authorities were closing in on him for all of his actions thus far with his family. So, as any solid minded individual does when fearing facing repercussions for their actions in the eyes of the law, he began stockpiling firearms and preparing for what he believed would be an inevitable war against the police.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know why, but I not go there.
Speaker 1: Well that's probably because of the lead up I had for that being you know, any sound minded individual, Yeah, he was not so clearly he's a little out to lunch. Now. With all these stockpiling firearms and everything. He began training his children to handle these guns as well, teaching them to shoot with precisions or disassembling and reassembling all the weapons and prepared for battle. He's essentially turning his household into a mini battalion. Yeah, having soldiers at the ready, and by the end of their training, the Sexton children have become quite proficient with these firearms.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is not going to end well, you don't think no, Yeah, no, I'm pretty worried now.
Speaker 1: Well for Eddie, though, just preparing for war wasn't good enough. He decided that he needed to find a way to try and hide more of the truths, if at all possible, trying to avoid this war, right, just hide the truths and not have this war happen, which I mean prevention is that's a good thing. But like you said earlier, just don't fuck your kids and maybe don't beat them and all this other shit too. But for him, he's trying to find another way to cover all those secrets of those things he's done. So this is where a young man by the name of Joel Good would come in. Now. Joel was a quiet and kind young man when he became an unwitting participant in Eddie's efforts to conceal the truth. But before we look at what happens with him and the family, need to kind of take a look at who Joel was a little bit now. Joel's life was marked by tragedy early on, at just thirteen years old, he lost both of his parents within a short time, his father to a heart attack and his mother to complications from diabetes. From there, he was initially sent to live with his grandparents, but eventually moved to Jackson, Ohio. I had to live with his aunt Tessa, and by the time he reached high school, Joel's described as quiet, kind, good looking young man. Despite some learning difficulties, he had a close knit group of friends who appreciated his gentle demeanor. It was through one of his friends, a girl named Terry, that Joel would meet Pixie Sexton and during their or jor high junior year in high school together. Now, while they didn't begin dating immediately, the two grew closer over time and officially started a relationship their senior year. Now, when Joel began spending time with Pixie and spending time at the Sexton house, he quickly became a well liked individual with the entire family, even with Eddie. Okay, yeah, now, how easy Eddie. How easily Eddie let Joel into the family and of course letting Pixie see him as well, was quite shocking to many. In hindsight, it's kind of clear that this was actually part of his plan, because up until now there was very tight restrictions on even talking to anybody, let alone having a relationship with, you know, someone of the opposite sex or a partner or anything like that. So it was quite you know, unbelievable to see that he was allowing this to actually happen.
Speaker 3: So he very much so had ulterior motives one hundred percent, because uh yeah, Well, by the time Joe and Pixie started dating, Pixie had already given birth to two of Eddie's children.
Speaker 1: Right right now, Pixie was pregnant with a third gosh. Yeah, Eddie was beginning to be more and more worried about people finding out what was really going on, and he needed Pixie to pursue a public relationship with someone aka Joel, so he could have this scapegoat, right, so the people can look at and be like, oh, this is the person you know that's God are pregnant and I'm sure there's these military men that have come and gone a couple times so far, but now this is the explanation for the third or whatever. Right. So Pixie began seeing Joel under her father's directions and told Joel that the baby she was carrying was his. Joel, who of course longed for a family of his own, was super excited for the news. For him, the prospect of becoming a father was an absolute dream come true. I mean, after all, he did lose his parents when he was quite young, so having that family tie meant all the more to him.
Speaker 2: Right. Okay, so I'm confused. So Eddie told Joel this.
Speaker 1: Well, Eddie told Pixie to do this with Joel, right, and so Pixie is like, hey, Joel, it's your baby.
Speaker 2: Oh, so like it could actually have been his baby kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Possibly yes, but well.
Speaker 2: No, like he actually like they had sex.
Speaker 1: Yes, possibly, as far as I'm aware, it could paternally be his child.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, but I was just thinking they told him this and like the two of them hadn't even done that.
Speaker 1: I don't. Well, I think now there is there was never a paternity test done on this child, which we'll talk about a little bit later. But there's never a paternity test done on this child. So there is no concrete evidence or anything I could find that really says you're right or I'm right. For all I know, Joel very well may not have sex with have had sex with Pixie, and maybe she has convinced him otherwise, and maybe he didn't know how that worked quite yet because he was young too. I don't know. Okay, I'm assuming that, yes, they have had sex and there is an actual potential for this to be his child. But in reality, I think Pixie became pregnant and quickly gotten this relationship with Joel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that I think makes the most sense. But I was just like curious how this was going down kind of thing.
Speaker 1: But Okay, there's been no paternal test done, and you'll understand why later. But there's been no paternal test done, and we don't know for certain.
Speaker 2: Okay, keep it, poor Joel. He now has a family, and I'm so happy about it. But this family is just so messed up.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is about the most messed up family you can fucking think of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like he needed to have run for the hills, man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but as far as he knew though, he was just he had not only a loving partner by a side who's going to start a family with, and I mean she's already got two kids that he's kind of becoming the father for, but he also has Eddie, who we know is a very manipulative individual. He's very suave, if you will, with the public and everything right, and he's playing this role onto Joel as well. So now Joel also has a father figure himself too. So the family he never had and the family that he wanted he gets to also create. It's to him, it's everything he's always wanted.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that just like pulls at the heartstrip really does. Now.
Speaker 1: Joel did have some aunts who raised him after his parents passed away. I mentioned one earlier that he had moved in with, and neither of these aunts liked the situation he was found in, and they were extremely skeptical of Pixie and the whole Sexton family. However, Joel didn't care. All he knew is that he was going to be a father and remained committed to Pixie. For Joel, this relationship was a chance to build the stability he lost with the death of his parents. For Eddie and Pixie, it was a means of protecting the secrets that could have exposed the Sexton's family's horror in the house now. Eventually, Joel moved into the Sexton home and he and Pixie became engaged, and Eddie put together a rushed wedding, trying to solidify his plan. Oh jeez, so this This wedding originally was scheduled for Valentine's Day February fourteenth, nineteen ninety two, but was abruptly moved up two days by Eddie. He suggested they marry immediately and insisted Joel not inform his family about the change. Joel was eager to please his future father in law and agreed with no question, So in February twelfth, nineteen ninety two, Eddie himself officiated the again mock wedding, ceremony, which was probably not very legal. I mean maybe it was in this case because he was pretty anxious for legal paperwork, so there might have been some formal legalities around this one. But also immediately after this wedding, Joel and Pixie went to the local health department to file a certificate of paternity for Don, Pixie's first child. Joel legally claimed Don as his daughter, and the couple planned to do the same for Shasta, the second daughter, in another jurisdiction. So they're going to go, like, get this done immediately now, right right now. The thing is, though, Michelle Sexton, one of Eddie's daughters, in late nineteen ninety one, about a year a few months really before the marriage happened, began notifying her school counselor about abuse occurring in the home. Her breaking point when she came when she witnessed Eddie kissing in an inappropriate way one of her sorry her two younger sisters, Lana and Kimberly, and she realized that they were likely during the same abuse that she had already endured as well being the of course sexual abuse. Initially, she hesitated due to the DHS's repeated failures in previous investigations upon the home, but Michelle only disclosed partial details because of this. Now that was only at first, because, however, over time she revealed enough information to prompt action to actually occur. So by February of nineteen ninety two, DHS officials determined Michelle needed to be removed from the home for her safety. So in the morning of February twelfth, just two just a few hours before Pixie and Joel's wedding, DHS agents arrived with Michelle, collected her belongings, and placed her in foster care. The timing of the visit likely is why Eddie suddenly moved up the wedding, rushed it all to happen right away.
Speaker 2: That makes sense because I was kind of like, what's two days, buddy, Like that just didn't make any sense. Yeah, But also so good of her, was it, Michelle?
Speaker 1: You said, let me double check, Becau. There's a few names going across crosses here. Yes, it was Michelle's everything.
Speaker 2: Wow, nikes that I'm just like so proud of her, Like good for her. That would just not be easy because she's very brainwashed.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent, So big props to her that wouldn't have been easy for no. But now Eddie was facing this scrutiny because DHS was on his ass. They had already removed one of the children from the home. There's a lot of questions going around on who these kids are, in the maternity of them, there's a lot going on, And in his mind, he could convince everyone that Pixie's children were Joel's, all of them. He could even shake DHS in his own mind. But there's a glaring flaw because Joel met Pixie five months after the first daughter was already born, Okay, so making it impossible for him to at least be one of the kids, right right, Yeah, But Eddie was just like, no, I can convince them, you know, we'll get them to do the paperwork, legal stuff, and it'll be fine. But regardless. Meanwhile, Michelle though at first hesitated to share the full extent of what happened within the home, Like she started opening up quite a bit at school to the counselor, but with DHS and everything, she was quite hesitant. You know, she'd been brainwashed for so long about authorities. It was quite a bit for her to tear down that wall.
Speaker 2: When I imagined to the school counselor. She had built up this relationship with them, right, exactly, and these people DHS she was just meeting exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, over time, she began to share more and more details, which included the accounts of sexual and physical abuse inflicted upon herself and her siblings. Thankfully, Michelle's bravery is what opened the floodgates. Her disclosures were enough for DHS to finally take action, and on April sixteenth, nineteen ninety two, they removed all the miners from the Sexton family household.
Speaker 2: Okay, including the kid like the grandkids.
Speaker 1: They removed all the miners from home.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I have such disturbing question going through my head too that no one can answer. But it's like, with Pixie getting married, does that mean that he can't have a relationship with her anymore? I'm assuming right, Well, who knows, God, I don't know why that's so.
Speaker 1: You're saying Eddie can't have a relationship with Pixie anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a sexual relationship.
Speaker 1: I don't think that would have stopped him.
Speaker 2: That's true, that's true.
Speaker 1: No, Eddie's the type of individual who he has control over everything. I mean, he's already married with his wife and he's having a sexual relationship with his fucking daughter. Yes, so I'm pretty sure if he wants to have a relationship with her daughter, whether she's married or not, he's going to.
Speaker 2: Okay. Yeah, in my head, I was like, Nope, can't happen. So I kind of wish and I wouldn't have brought it up.
Speaker 1: Sorry. So when they removed these these children from the home, DHS did have quite a strategy to it. They picked up the children from school to avoid alerting Eddie and May as best as they could. However, two children remained at the home and required DHS workers to actually retreat them directly. As more children began sharing their experiences once picked up by DHS and corroborating Michelle's accounts, the evidence against Eddie just kept growing stronger and stronger, despite both him and May of course denying it all. So Eddie was soon ordered to stay off the family property and have no contact with May or the children during the investigation. Initially, this arrangement allowed some of the children to return home to May under the condition that, of course Eddie not be involved in their life. Right at this point, the full extent of May's complicit I'm sorry, complicity in the abuse had not yet really fully been revealed, which is why DHS kind of allowed this because that hadn't been brought up yet, no one really knew, and so yeah, that's kind of the only real reason why she was allowed to retain custody. But Eddie, however, of course, did not listen to what the authority say had said. Sorry, he did not stay away. He violated the no contact order, and he frequently visited the house. However, one day Eddie arrived at the home and declared he wasn't leaving.
Speaker 2: Gosh, of course, of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he barricaded himself in and the family with him into the home and called the Jackson Police Department, and he warned them that he was not about to surrender. He threatened with violence, and he stated that if officers attempt to remove him, he would quote leave a trail of bodies.
Speaker 2: And he's been preparing for this, he has been, and they probably don't know that.
Speaker 1: Nope, So he's got a bunch of guns in the house, he's got trained children to stand guard, and yeah, law enforcement quickly responded, surrounded the home. You know, they cleared off the street where the home was at, and Eddie armed his kids, giving them guns and instructing them to shoot anyone who got too close to the house. So the standoff lasted two days to the two days yeah, with officers trying to negotiate a peaceful resolution, and on the second day, a deputy managed to reach Eddie by phone, and thanks thankfully to this deputy, either common patient negotiation tactics ultimately succeeded in persuading Eddie to surrender. Eddie exited the home and was immediately taken into custody, ending the standoff, thankfully without any bloodshed.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's impressive. I did not think that was going to be going that way.
Speaker 1: No me either. Honestly, it could have gone a lot worse, and I'm surprised Eddie let it go that honestly, even that soon. If you're a surrender, I thought it would have gone longer. Yeah, most likely he was all up in his own head because he seems like a weird individual up there, So probably he kind of got to himself and talked himself down before the officers did. Anyways. Yeah, but it's hard to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he doesn't seem like someone that would let other people convince him to do anything.
Speaker 1: No, which is exactly why I think he would have been the one to convince himself. So it seemed like the cycle of control and abuse had finally been broken. However, for reasons that are very difficult to comprehend, Eddie was allowed to post bond and he was released from custody.
Speaker 2: What the shit?
Speaker 1: Yeah you may not believe it, but this is what set the stage for even more tragic events soon.
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me? Nope, they had him and he was able to get out.
Speaker 1: They let him walk.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, that is mind blowing to me.
Speaker 1: You pissed?
Speaker 2: Yeah, rightfully, so I am too and shocked. That just makes no sense.
Speaker 1: No, it doesn't. I'm with you right there.
Speaker 2: The fuck? Yeah?
Speaker 1: The fuck?
Speaker 2: Okay you could? I yeah, I guess, but that just I'm like flabbergast.
Speaker 1: I think we need to get you like a stress ball or something that amazing. Or maybe we'll get you like a pillow with fucking Eddie Sexton's face on it so you can just punch it whenever you get.
Speaker 2: There will be numerous have to be numerous faces on there, But honestly, like a wicket, Ingram's stress ball. That sounds dope.
Speaker 1: I'd be into that, Toche. So immediately after posting Bond, Eddie returned to the family home, not surprising despite the no contact order. But this time he came with a plan, and to not bunker down to not you know, wall themselves inside, but instead, his plan was to hit the road to run.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh.
Speaker 1: He instructed May and the children to pack what they could, and the family loaded into the travel trailer and headed out of town. Their destination was a secluded campground in Hillsboro River State Park in Florida, where Eddie hoped to avoid detection. Now. Eddie's paranoia continued to escalate only more and more from here. He repeatedly told his children that they were at war with authorities. So they're on the road driving or whatever it was, and he's just like, we're at war. We're at war. And he's just instilling this fear and even more so separating them from the outside world because they're now out in the world. They don't have that safety at home, right, And he's like, we're at war. You gotta stick with me, Like we got to stick together. We can't trust anyone, like so it's this big mind fuck game. Now, by this time, Pixie had given to her third child, named Skipper Lee Good love the name Skipper. That's fucking awesome.
Speaker 2: That's actually super cute.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So by this time he was a nine month old little boy, and Joel Pixie, our children, Don, Shasta, and Skipper were amongst the family at the campground when the family fled. So at some point after arriving in Florida, at this campground, Pixie California, right, Florida.
Speaker 2: Oh was it Florida? Oh? I thought you said California at one time.
Speaker 1: Okay if I did, sorry, it's Florida, Florida, Okay, okay. So while they're in Florida, Pixie decided to tell Joel the devastating truth about the paternity of Down and Shasta, the two oldest. Oh man, Yeah, she told him the truth. And Joel, who had of course devoted himself to Pixie and the children, was devastated. He was furious and heartbroken, and he confronted Eddie at it too. He's like, you're the fucking father of these two kids. Eddie was not about to tolerate anyone challenging his authority or talking back to him, and he responded with violence, brutally beating Joel.
Speaker 2: What did he expect that Joel just be like, okay, cool, right, of course, that any sane person is going to act that way. Well, I act, I feel.
Speaker 1: Like he knows that too, right, But he just demands absolute control over everyone in the vicinity, So if anyone challenges him on it, of course he's going to get violent. He's gotten violent with everyone else in.
Speaker 2: The household, I guess, But I just don't quite understand what why he would feel the need to tell him, knowing what would happen. You know.
Speaker 1: Well, Eddie didn't tell him. Pixie told him, Oh, sorry.
Speaker 2: Shit, god, I am here. Okay, I'm getting mixed up.
Speaker 1: So Pixie told Joel see and then Joel confronted Eddie and then Eddie was like, you know what, fuck you and beat him up.
Speaker 2: Damn Okay, okay, that's wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, Despite all of this, though, Joel chose to stay. His love for Pixie and the children kept him tied to the family. The family was now living in the cramped quarters of this travel trailer and the campground, and that's where they would stay with Joel. Now soon though, baby Skipper began showing signs of being sick shortly after arriving there. He developed a cold that lingered and worsened over the course of several weeks, leaving him miserable and constantly crying. Now remember they are living in a cramped RV, right right, and you got a lot of people living in this RV as well. Pixie and Joel wanted to take Skipper to a doctor, but Eddie forbade it. He was terrified that any interaction with any outside authorities would expose their location and result in an arrest. I mean, he already had warrants out for both him and May for skipping court hearings by this point. So as Skipper's condition deteriorated, his crying became incessant. Eddie grew increasingly frustrated and paranoid that the baby's cries would attract unwanted attention to their hiding spot in this campground. His anger escalated to threats, warning Pixie that if she didn't silence the baby, he would dang. Now the details of what happened next are a little bit murky, as multiple accounts have been provided by those who were present, but what is clear is that Eddie's frustrations with Skipper's crying reached a boiling point, and, in a desperate attempt to please her father and silent Skipper, Pixie placed her hand over the baby's nose and mouth until he stopped crying and breathing. Really, yes, her nine month old son.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, I thought that it was going to be Eddie then did it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I don't know? Okay?
Speaker 1: Shit now. Initially, Pixie and Eddie both claimed that Skipper had died in his sleep from sudden infantel syndrome or SITS. Joel was unaware of what had actually happened because I'm assuming he wasn't there when it occurred, right, but was devastated, like absolutely devastated, and he wanted to take Skipper's body to the police station to arrange for him to be transported back to Ohio for a proper burial. Man Eddie, however, refused to allow it to happen, and tensions were now at an all time high. Joe insisted on taking Skipper's body in and his persistent demands began to terrify Eddie, who realized Joel knew way too many things of the family secrets. At this point, no, Eddie became convinced that Joel's heartbreak and growing anger would ultimately lead him to go to the police, and he saw Joel nothing as Joel as nothing more than a liability.
Speaker 2: Uh oh okay, I'm fricking terrified. But I also just have to say that, poor baby, it was probably so simple what it needed, probably right. Yeah, like that is just that is just disgusting.
Speaker 1: I know, it's beyond fucked.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, initially Eddie planned to solve this situation by stealing another baby and replace Skipper to shut Joel up. Yeah, but his plan to go steal another infant didn't work out, so Eddie went to plan B, which was killed Joel.
Speaker 2: Hmm okay, yeah, that's what I kind of had in mind there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And Eddie, of course, being the coward that he was, turned to his sons once again to do the dirty work. His son, Willie, who was known as to not have a very high IQ, was especially vulnerable to Eddie's manipulation. Eddie of course exploited this, convincing Willie to lure Joel into the woods under the guise of going for a walk and then kill him. So Willie invited Joel to go take a stroll in the woods. Joel, unaware of what was going to happen, just you know, sure, let's go, he agreed, and once they were deep in the forest, Willie attacked Joel from behind with a rope, intending to strangle him. So he wrapped the rope around his neck and he began to strangle Joel. Now, according to another one of Eddie's sons, Charles, who witnessed the attack, Willie was crying the entire time he was choking Joel. He didn't want to kill him, but he felt powerless to defy his father, and as Willy struggled to carry out this grim task, reportedly, Eddie even stood nearby with a gun pointed towards Willy's head, yelling finish the job.
Speaker 2: Oh man, So he's just now like he's making his his kids murderers.
Speaker 1: Yes, either you kill or you be killed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that, you have no choice.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Joel ultimately succumbed the assault and died there in the woods. Following the murder, Eddie ordered his sons to bury Joel's body, just as they had buried Skippers weeks earlier. So now after months of evading capture, Eddie's downfall began when one of the brothers contacted authorities. The brother revealed that Eddie sorry, yeah, one of Eddie's brothers. Oh, got to clarify that one, not one of the brothers, one of Eddie's brothers.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So the brother revealed that Eddie had recently visited and used his phone to make two long distant phone calls. Investigators traced the numbers, one of which led them to Little Manatee River State Park in Florida, where the family was now staying. So after some intense surveillance on the property and waiting for the right moment, on January four, fourteenth, nineteen ninety four, authorities arrested Eddie and may Sexton in the parking lot of the wind Dixie grocery store, ending a fourteen month long manhunt.
Speaker 2: Dang, okay, fourteen months they got away with that, hey.
Speaker 1: Fourteen mother fucking months.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well keep them in jail this time, please, no like bails or nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that that would be the case. Yes, they're not bailing. There's no bonds, no bails, no nothing this time.
Speaker 2: Okay. When you were like, well, I was gonna slap you.
Speaker 1: I'm just the bearer of the news here, I'm just telling a story. Well, when questioned, Charles Sexton broke his silence because of course, the entire family is now being interrogated and questioned, right, and Charles revealed the horrifying details of what actually transpired. He confessed to authorities about the death of both Joel and Skipper, and he led investigators to their burial sites. The body of Joel and Skipper were recovered and returned to Ohio, where Joel's grieving family could finally provide them with a proper burial. Now, in a heart wrenching decision, Joe's family chose to bury Skipper and Joel together in the same casket. A paternity test confirmed that Eddie was a biological father of Pixie's first two children, Don and Shasta. However, Joel's family opted against testing Skipper, choosing instead to honors Joel role Joe's role as a boy's father. Regardless of what the blood test revealed, Joel loved and cared for him in a way that Eddie never could, and in their eyes, just Joel deserved that title more than anyone else.
Speaker 2: Oh dang that breaks your fucking heart.
Speaker 1: So they never got the test done because no matter what it said, Skipper was Joel's son.
Speaker 2: Dang, that is like actually like just so nice day. Yeah, what a way to honor someone, right.
Speaker 1: Now, Eddie May and several other family members went to trial. Charles, who had cooperated with authorities and helped locate the bodies, was granted immunity and avoided charges. Other members of the family, finally feeling safe from Eddie's control, would actually even testify against him in court. So in November of nineteen ninety four, Eddie was sentenced in court to death for his role in the murders. He was sent to Florida Union Correctional Institution. Before the trial, a psychiatrist evaluated Eddie and diagnosed him as a sadistic sexual psychopath. Eddie appealed his sentence and was granted a retrial, but the second trial also ended in the death penalty.
Speaker 2: What a waste of time and stuff.
Speaker 1: I know. And for May Sexton. Although not charged with the murders, May faced eight counts related to the physical and sexual abuse of her children, including complicity to rape. She was sentenced to life in prison and served her time in Ohio Reform for women before she died of natural causes. In twenty seventeen at the age of seventy, Pixie Sexton pleaded guilty to manslaughter in death of her son Skipper. Reports vary, but she was sentenced between sentenced to between six and twelve years in prison.
Speaker 2: Oh. Man, that's kind of sad. That one is hard. That's hard. It is because she did do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And finally Willie Sexton, Willie was the one who strangled Joel under Eddie's orders. He was sentenced to twenty five years in prison. He was released in two thousand and seven. Seven. During his own incarceration, Willie reportedly came to understand the extent of Eddie's control over him and expressed remorse for what he had done.
Speaker 2: Well, because that one, it's literally described though, that he had a gun pointed at him, right, Yeah, So for some ticket, twenty five years seems I know.
Speaker 1: That's that's tough. And maybe there's things that came up in court that we don't know about because a lot of times, like there's a lot of private information and stuff that happens in court that does not get released to public. So maybe there's some things in there that we don't know about. Who knows. Maybe the thing about Eddie holding the gun up to his head is hearsay. Maybe that didn't actually happen. Maybe he just followed his father's orders and that's that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I mean that's the same too with Pixie, Like, who knows, Eddie could have been right right there, like yeah, you know, telling her to do it and stuff too, right exactly.
Speaker 1: But also on the other hand, it could have been even worse. I mean, maybe Eddie had a gun right up to Willie's temple too. It's so hard to know, and what happened in court again, so many things are confidential information that will will never really ever be released.
Speaker 2: And there's still i mean, this isn't that long ago like this, there's still family members. Oh you know a lie, Oh definitely, yes, that is just so tough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, Pixie, Willie, I'm pretty sure most of, if not all, the children are still alive.
Speaker 2: Well, and then the grandchildren or whatever you want to call them exactly.
Speaker 1: I mean, if anyone has passed away, it's certainly not of old age. It would have been you know, accidents or disease or anything like that. But by all accounts, they should be still alive.
Speaker 2: Holy shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that is the story of the Sexton family cults and the monster that is Eddie Lee Sexton.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, I'm just shaking my head here. I just it is unfathomable to that a person, that someone could be like Eddie. Yeah, it's just so it's so hard to understand.
Speaker 1: That people like that exist. Yeah, that people like that could could actually do those things and not even do them, but do them again and again and again, knowing they're wrong because you're trying to hide it from authorities and continue to do it, and like.
Speaker 2: Holy fuck, like the shit that he got away with. I mean, it's it's hard to believe. But it also like it makes sense that he got away with so much too, just you know, the way he.
Speaker 1: Was because of controlling his family like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, it's like DHS had visited their home a few times, there was investigations. He just managed to like, you know, like win them over because in the first episode, if you remember, like DHS visited and he basically started off by showing like his his his religious credentials, being like you know, I'm ordained, you know, I'm just a father who's just so overwhelmed with a large family.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: And here it's like, no, you're an abusive piece of shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know. People like that just fascinate me though, because I'm like the least smooth person ever, Like I could be in that scenario and have done fuck all, but I would look guilty as hell.
Speaker 1: I think we've talked about this leading yeah.
Speaker 2: And I just I just I don't know. I wish I could have a little bit like of that smoothness, not that I would use it in this scenario and all or like for for bad badness or anything badness.
Speaker 1: Your smoothness is showing, Nicole.
Speaker 2: But I don't know, I just it's just mind bowing to me that people can be like that, that they can hide and that oh I just can't even it's yeah, it's it's unreal. And I would like even like a percentage of just that smoothness to live my life. Is that too much to ask?
Speaker 1: Get done?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, Wow, Well that was a rant from Nicole today. She wants a little bit of smoothness. So we're not getting chunky peanut butter for a while. We're just getting straight smooth.
Speaker 2: That's what she wants.
Speaker 1: You want some smooth, there's.
Speaker 2: Some smooth totella. Let's do Nilla, that's smooth. I almost showed you this video chocolate milk of Natilla today, Like oh, it made me want to tell this so bad. It was just like a brand new thing in Natilla and they put this like this spatula thing in there and like turned it and it just was like it just made the netilla look so good.
Speaker 1: Just like nantella ASMR basically nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I almost showed you, but then I knew it would be like you would have to go get some.
Speaker 1: I have a weakness for nutella like I do chocolate milk, though it is nowhere near my weakness for chocolate milk, it is akin to that weakness.
Speaker 2: We don't have it much at all, No, I can't. We've hadn't had it for years probably no.
Speaker 1: But like I can get sick of Natella, I can't get sick of chocolate milk, but I have the same like craving for it.
Speaker 2: Actually that's a lie, because I bought a little thing of it within probably the last six months, and I was gonna maybe a year, I don't know, but I was gonna have some on toasts and stuff, but and you freaking just ate it all. I got none.
Speaker 1: It was delicious. I don't remember this, but I'm sure it was delicious. Sounds like me, it does. It was probably delicious anyway, Okay, okay, we're gonna go probably see if we can find Natella on Skip the Dishes or or something like that. In the meantime, thank you guys for being here. We appreciate you. Shout out to our patrons who of course recommending cases to us. We're gonna probably do another case from them for the next episode and the episode coming up at the end of the month for them over on Patreon as well, because they get exclusive episodes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's coming up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you're in all Access pass, you've got that extra episode. And there's a big library that's been built up up to this point.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yes, So if you ever feel like you need more of us, hit us up on Papier.
Speaker 1: That's your way, exactly. Although we do have like well, I think we're up to two hundred and thirty over two hundred and thirty episodes at this point, just regular show. So ding dang, ding dang.
Speaker 2: It's impressive indeed. Well yeah, honestly, but we can't. Like we've said, we couldn't have done it with any without you guys.
Speaker 1: Think we couldn't, We couldn't. It's us and it's you, and you guys are what make this show. We just we just put it out. We're independent. We have no one who owns this but us. We do it because, hey, you guys support us. You mean the world. So thank you very much. You sure do well.
Speaker 2: So until next episode when Ben is probably going to be doing it again, when I will.
Speaker 1: Be doing it again.
Speaker 2: Until then, stay wicked,