Speaker 1: I had a good day yesterday. I skipped the gym. That's not what made it a good day, but I just was really tired of having so much to do. So I went down to the airport. And every two years a pilot has to get requalified or you can't go flying because they want to make sure that you still got your you know, your skills.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he still got it.
Speaker 1: And it went really well. And not only did it go well, I had a really good time with it. So I had a good day yesterday and shout out to Spence down at Thunderbird Aviation, who is a great instructor. And I always tell people ask me like, well, how do I learn to fly? And I'm like, well, you know what the way go to Thunderbird Aviation and you look them up online. They've got locations in Crystal and Eden Prairie. And it was exactly this time of the year that I started to fly. But I took my very first lesson this time of the year and I do my first solo like November sixth or seventh. Yeah, so it took a few months, but I was able to solo within a few months.
Speaker 3: So and how long have you been flying?
Speaker 1: Now. Oh god, thirty thirty twenty nine, thirty years, thirty years now.
Speaker 4: It's so fun learning, like certain things about the show that you think you knew before you were on the show. Like I always thought that you had your own plane and that you flew to Colorado whenever you'd go there and stuff, But really you just go run from thunder Aviation. You don't fly to Colorado? Would you use a commercial flight?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's beyond my skill set because it's kind of a long story. But I'm not a weather guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I can fly when it's cloudy, I can fly when it's cold, I can't fly, can fly when it's raining, but there's gonna be certain visibility restrictions. So and if you don't be if you're not able to see out of the cockpit, you need to fly on instruments. Those instruments confuse me. They're all spinny, lighty, diarly things.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what you mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I trust me out, all right, next one, or let's get into the the emails here. So we brought this up on the podcast yesterday, and we brought it up on the show today. The droopy eyelids, Yes, And there was somebody who wrote into the show, Nurselena, and we are talking about how Nurcelena said, Dave, I noticed your picture. You got droopy top eyelids, and I thought, well, that's kind of rude, and I was a little bit hurt. But we've really explored it, and we actually talked about it on the show today because Bailey's friend Winnie had the procedure done to get rid of him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I had both Winnie and my dad got it done. My dad got it done forever ago though, so I don't know, fifteen years ago. And he looked shocking, very shockingly different to me the show, as in, I mean his eyelids were so droopy because his were definitely like getting in his line of vision. That I mean, going from having super droopy eyelids to not having droopy eyelids at all.
Speaker 2: Like he just looked like a different person to me.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, sure, And he didn't have he doesn't have like prominent eyebrows at all, Like you wouldn't know he had eyebrows in the first place, So having scars where his eyebrows should be was just weird because he never used to have eyebrows.
Speaker 2: So I was just like, well, that's doesn't look like my dad anymore.
Speaker 5: But Winnie, Winnie's a friend of mine, and she said she just got it done over the last month. And I didn't even notice because I saw her during the Fringe Festival and she was like, oh, yeah, something something about my eyes, and I'm like, what are you talking about. She said, Oh, I got the surgery on my eyes to get this like droop fixed or whatever. The eyelid skin sucked out, and I wouldn't have known at all. She looked exactly the same to me, but like exactly the same. I'm sure she looks better because she's used to seeing.
Speaker 1: Her face very very subtle difference.
Speaker 2: But I hadn't seen her in a month or two, so I didn't notice at all.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tell you are thirty three and Jenny's thirty four, and you're probably like, ah, I'm getting crows feet. I remember when I was about your age, I noticed crow's feet for the first time. Yeah, And I was like, oh my god. I tell you appreciate your youth and your beauty because you have an abundance of it right now, the both of y'all, and you don't even know it, and.
Speaker 4: I just because Fall and I did our podcast yesterday and I was just saying, how after this bachelorette party this weekend, I'm like starting to feel old, like just how different the bachelorette party was, and just like looking back at pictures from other things in my twenties and stuff like, I'm like struggling with that right now.
Speaker 1: And it's all relative because when you are when you turn thirty four, you're like, holy shit, I used to think of thirty four as really old. Or when you turn even twenty five, you go, oh my god, I'm really old. I've never the twenty five people have always seen gold. It's all so relative. But I know that, and this is I'm not going to fix anything in the world. But when I tell you, appreciate your youth and beauty now, because when you get to be my age, you'll be like, I look fucking great. When I was that age, I looked look at my fucking skin. I had no pores on my skin, I had no crow's feet, and I was like, bah, I look old. And you get to be my age and you look like somebody fucking set your face on fire and put it out with a rake.
Speaker 2: Out with a rake.
Speaker 1: It does look like somebody put it on fire and took a rake, and like, oh, well, let's beat the fuck out of Dave's face with a rake. Is it out yet? No? Stomp on it a couple of times too? All right, Well that's.
Speaker 3: What we get to look forward to.
Speaker 5: That.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't wait so much for sure what you got now?
Speaker 1: I know?
Speaker 3: I know?
Speaker 1: All right? This all started with this one. It says it's from Jen. Hey, Buddies, your conversation on Monday's podcast about the woman who mailed Dave about his droopy eyelids reminded me of something I saw on Instagram the other day, and I found it extremely thought provoking and helpful. If it's not something they can fix in thirty seconds or less, it's not your place to say anything. One, you have spinach in your teeth, Yes, that's fine. You can fix that in thirty seconds or less, and it's helpful. I don't like your shirt, Well, they can't fix that in thirty seconds or less if they're already out of the house for the day, and it hurts rather than helps, telling a stranger they need eyelid surgery, regardless of how well intentioned you are as rude and hurtful. That is not something the recipient of that information can change in thirty seconds or less. And that's kind of what I thought too. But I'm actually looking back, I know that Nurselena did not mean that in a mean way at all. That was like a professional kind of a thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was kind of surprised when we were talking about it on air how many ophthalmologists listen to our show because they were texting in. Yeah, and there were at least three, which seems like a lot.
Speaker 1: No, we have a ton of We have a ton of professional people that listen to the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It always amazes me when we say something like okay, like if I said something the other day like oh, I went to a like the two twelve club bar in Cologne, Minnesota. I didn't expect the owner of the two twelve bar and Cologne to be listening, but then they text in and like, hey, Dave, it was great to have you in. And I'm like, I who knew. There's a lot of people that listen to this big old radio stage right next one telling your friend that the tone they are using with you in snotty is something they can reflect on and fix if they choose to in thirty seconds or less. It is not rude, it is informative.
Speaker 2: Okay, good to know. Thank you. I'm well continue calling her out right now.
Speaker 1: I do think there are obviously exceptions. If a close friend or family member and the information you're providing, like you should get that mole checked out is out of the genuine concern for their well being, it is appropriate even if it can't be fixed in thirty seconds or less. Anyway, I want to share that tidbit of wisdom. I think it was an elementary school teacher sharing that message with her class in a lesson on bullying, but lord knows adult society could use the same reminder. Love you guys, Happy belated birthday to Vontavius. That is from Gen. Thank you Jen, Thank you Jen, good email. Appreciate that one. Moving on to another email, I got to find my right tab to click on said tab. Don't say a name. First of all, I want to say how much I love the new crew, and then I've been I'm a devoted listener for about eleven years. You guys rock I really love hearing positive feedback on the new crew.
Speaker 2: Do you ever get bad feedback.
Speaker 1: I really don't. I mean, we get bad feedback here and there about anything, you know, the music or me or whatever, But honestly, no, it's been very positive. And this is what I've noticed about feedback. If they don't like it, they'll say nothing, or they might go, oh yeah, like Jenny sucks or vaunts obnoxious or whatever. But if people say they like it, they really do like it, so and I really think that's great. I would like y'all's opinion about a situation I got caught up in for some background information. I'm a twenty year old college student in a two year, healthy and happy relationship. Recently catching up with a friend from high school, and he said that he has feelings for me. He said he's never gotten over me since we had our fling in high school. I was truly taken aback by it. I didn't know what to do with the information. He knows that I'm in a healthy relationship and I wouldn't change the world for it. As a people pleaser. Do you think there is anything I should say to him going forward? What would you do if somebody told you this? I think you got to be no bones about it. You got to be like, you know what, not even like oh I'm really flattered, not even like oh that means a lot to me. Oh that's very sweet. Nothing. I'm in a relationship right now. When he sends you a flirty text, ignore it. If he sends anything like you know, like oh thinking of you, ignore it. So I would say, if you give him any opening, yeah, he will try to run through it.
Speaker 5: I it's interesting. I was literally just listening to a podcast where this woman said that, like, you always have to shoot your shot, even if you're going to get rejected. And she said, even if someone you know is in a relationship, like if you're interested in them, shoot your shot, just like to tell them that you're interested, because you never know like the quality of the relationship.
Speaker 1: Sure they might be looking for an out.
Speaker 5: Right exactly, So like I wouldn't necessarily be like I can't believe he he tried something with me when he knows that I'm in a relationship, but he doesn't know the quality of your relationship or if you're happy or interesting. Wow.
Speaker 4: I found that, honestly, very disrespectful. I think that's insane to think that you should shoot your shot when someone's in a relationship. That's not for you to decide, Like, obviously you don't know the quality of someone else's relationship, But for you to get involved in someone else's relationship regardless of what your information.
Speaker 3: Is, I think that's so disrespectful to someone else.
Speaker 5: All the time, I don't saying like go in and be like, hey, we should be together and let's go on a date. I'm just saying like, oh, I've I've had a crush on you since high school, Like I don't. I think I think that's pretty harmless to say.
Speaker 3: I don't think it is.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I'm not I don't. I don't think I'm going to agree on that one. I think that's you don't agree. Yeah, it is like so disrespectful for the people who are in a relationship.
Speaker 1: I disagree. I do it all the time. I mean, like an old high school girlfriend or college girlfriend or whatever. I'd be like, so are you married, which is my first in like are you married? And then they'd be like, yeah, I'm married. Then I always say, well, how's that going, and I'm hoping for them to go you know, it's not so good. Then I send him a dick pic. Oh, okay, because I figure that at that point they say it's not so good. I mean they want a dick pick. Sure, I don't send him mine because mine is not.
Speaker 5: Any Yeah, no, I mean I think my dad also said once though, like otherwise, like if you say, oh, thanks so much, like obviously you're saying I don't know what to say to this friend. But if you say, like, oh, i'd rather just be friends, let's hang out, he's gonna think it's a date. So if he's interested in you, he'll always think it's a date even if you don't. So yeah, dude, I wouldn't hang out with him if you're not interested in him at all. Obviously, if you're in a happy relationship, stay in your happy relationship. But I mean, I'm not gonna poo poo on him for just saying that he had a crush on you in high school. Yeah, as long as he is if he's not being a creep about it, I don't know what.
Speaker 1: I think he's like ten percent creepy because it's like I still have feelings for you, and I think that that is kind of like a feel or be like, oh, really tell me about that. Oh I miss you too, sure, but if you don't have any desire, then just ignore. Ignore, because sometimes no answer is the best answer. Okay. Side note. I do play your podcast when I'm gonna walk in the neighborhood, but it's on low and when you all get spicy, I turn it off for the sake of children that might be listening. And I will forever and always be a diehard fan of the fried pickles at the State Fair. Oh that is a good one, so good forgot about that.
Speaker 2: I love those.
Speaker 1: State Fair starts next week next Thursday. Oh god, are you kidding? First the Viking start, then the State Fair starts.
Speaker 2: At the beginning of the end when it's the State Fair.
Speaker 4: This one thing we can always rely on from Dave is like his utter shock when the State Fair is coming up, like.
Speaker 2: And then like you mentioned the fair, He's like, no, I don't want.
Speaker 3: To talk about the fair.
Speaker 1: No, it's so true. And you see like somebody on Channel nine going, well, you know, it's only sixty eight days of the state shut the fuck up. I don't want to hear you. I love you, Channel nine. I don't want to hear your countdown to the State Fair starting on May first, shut the fuck all right. Next one Brianna State Fairs brought up. So here I am. We usually get down every year. My birthday's August twenty third, so naturally that's usually my celebration these days. Every year, my dad and I get our Pronto pup and a blue beer with a slushy top.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm so good.
Speaker 1: We always buy things we don't need in the grandstand. I get dog treats from Annie's Pooch Pops for my ten year old lab Chesapeake Mix. Photos attached. I love this so much. Every year we say we're gonna get there for breakfast. We never get up and out the door early enough though. As kids, the big slide was a must for my brother and I. Other highlights when Journey was there, we sat outside the grand stand to listen. My older brother won a screaming contest there many years ago. I don't remember what booth it was a couple of years ago. I was stay at Mayo, so my dad went to the fair without me and brought food storage containers to bring me my favorites. Best dad ever.
Speaker 2: That's really sweet.
Speaker 1: Twenty twenty one was the only year we made it up and down each block due to the lack of people. So right after COVID there's a lot of people that didn't go. I think I'll cut it there so it won't take too long. State Fares like my Christmas. I look forward to it every year. I hope to catch you all there. We're going to on the twenty third and twenty fourth this year. Love you guys, Thanks for being Daily Entertainment. Brie. Come up and see us on the.
Speaker 3: Twenty four, the twenty fourth.
Speaker 1: Ten am until three in the afternoon. We should be broadcasting live. Come by and say hi and remind me that you're the one that sent the email with the dog, and I will absolutely remember you.
Speaker 5: That's really sweet that your dad brought you stuff when you were at Mayo. When I was in twenty twenty, when they did like the drive through Fair, we had tickets for that and we were all really excited because obviously the fair had been canceled in twenty twenty and right before, like truly the day before I got COVID, so my family brought me like State Fair food.
Speaker 2: They just left it in a container outside my door.
Speaker 1: How was the State Fair food a few hours later?
Speaker 2: Not great?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 2: Not too great.
Speaker 1: No, I get it.
Speaker 5: Yes, I mean I only had like a couple of them, like a cheese curd you know that is not warm anymore, a deep fried oreo that was still decent.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it was kind of like, oh, do you.
Speaker 1: Feel like there are foods at the state Fair that are not worth wasting your belly space on? For example, I would not get a corn dog because a corn dog. I've had a million corn dogs that I know. I really wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Really I like them.
Speaker 1: But then people get annoyed at be for buying a spam sandwich because I love spam.
Speaker 5: Well, spam you can't really get like everywhere. I get annoyed when people my sister's spouse always gets a burger at the fair. Why I have no idea. But now it's like a bit where they're like, well, I'm gonna get a burger because you guys have such strong, strong abhorrece.
Speaker 2: It's forgetting a burger at the fair.
Speaker 1: You can get a burger anywhere anywhere, just like but they don't care about the unique experience.
Speaker 3: They just go to eat whatever.
Speaker 4: Because Andrew just goes to whatever doesn't have a line, so he's come up to me before where he's got like a Philly cheese takes sandwich or something that's like not super out of the normal fish. And I also think that I'm like, why are you doing that? And personally people might come at me for this. I don't understand the French fry thing. I know that the French fries stands are huge, but you can get French fries everywhere and those are not the best French fries I've ever had, so I would not I would definitely not wear space.
Speaker 3: The French Fries.
Speaker 5: Ballpark has garlic fries and it's just fry like regular fries. I mean, there's nothing necessarily special about the fries, but they just douse it in garlic and I get those all the time.
Speaker 1: Those are really good. I agree with you on that one, but totally agree, Jenny, And we've not that brought this up in a year and years. But the French Fry booth at the fair that's near the Haunted Mansion, yes, and there's probably some other ones. That's a bucket of fries and they're they're good. But I can get better fries at Burger thing.
Speaker 5: I like because we always douse those in the malt vinegar that's sitting out.
Speaker 2: I love it. Oh gosh, I'm a.
Speaker 1: Vinegar.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 2: I can't wait for the fair.
Speaker 5: But I also don't want it to happen because then it's the end of summer and then it makes me sad.
Speaker 1: I know me too. All right, next email, how we're doing for time? Okay, we got time. I want to say a few things. Vaunts wrapped last week about puppy chow was ten out of ten. He won that challenge regardless of using the wrong puppy chow. It blew me away. It was so good you sink puppy chow as a chocolatey cereal treat.
Speaker 4: And he thought it was the actual food from Literal Dog for your dogs.
Speaker 1: I love everything about Bailey. The entire cat shout out bit and banner with Dave made my morning. When she shouted my cats out, it made my whole day. I went back and screen recorded and shared it with my family and they've been sharing it with their friends. We are honored. Also, my kiddies heard her while she said it and looked up at me. I think they said, mew maow, thank you, Bailey, we love you. Did I read this one yesterday? You did that's worth reading again?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm glad I could make your cats happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I like this one. Here's a question for y'all. What's your favorite part about being on the show. I honestly, I think as I've gotten older, I think it is the love that we get from people who listen to the show, because I feel like this sounds so corny, but it's like your family, and when you give us love for what things that we do, everybody wants to feel loved and appreciate it. That's my favorite part.
Speaker 5: Okay, well I'm still I still feel new, so it feels kind of out of body experience because I've listened to this show since I was.
Speaker 2: Five years old.
Speaker 5: But I really enjoy being a personality higher in a room of personalities, which is really nice because I've been a personality higher like my whole life, and it really sucks being the only fun one in a room.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I get now.
Speaker 5: Everyone is fun, so it's like, oh, I'm going to say a joke and it won't be met with crickets.
Speaker 2: So that's nice.
Speaker 1: Well, some of them are. Jenny, what's your favorite part about being on the show. You've got thirty.
Speaker 4: Seconds I would just say connecting with a.
Speaker 1: Little bit longer because we're going right into a song, so you're good.
Speaker 4: I would say connecting with people about something I said on the radio, Like if I get a DM saying thank you for talking about your anxiety or whatever, it really helped me. Those are like the moments that I treasure because do I want to tell the Twin Cities that I'm struggling with my mental health? Not really, But if that helped someone else, even one person, then it was worth it for me. So I think that's like one of my favorite parts.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like that. Yeah, that it is. It is a great job, and we're reminded all the time that you know, we make an impact. It's fun. It's like your mom or dad used to say, you find something you love and you'll never work a day in your life, and I think that's nearly all true. I mean, we work really hard, and I've spent years and years and years working hard on the show. But it's work that I love. I actually love to sit down at my desk and work on the show. I really do. I find real joy in that. There's certain things I don't enjoy, like I don't know, I don't mind posting on social media, but I don't like having to find something to post on social media.
Speaker 2: This when you started, so gosh darn it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but now oddly enough, I mean, it's such everybody has got a business, has got to do social media, especially like radio DJs and bands and artists and things like that. Uh. And I think that is going to be all for the Minnesota Goodbye. Send your emails in We Love your emails to Ryan's show at KDWB dot com, and we will see you tomorrow on the Minnesota Goodbye. Thanks for listening.