Speaker 1: Yes. Indeed, our friend Dave from Dayton, Dave back Wrath just chimed in with a text and says, you know what is truly amazing about her And speaking of our next guest, Lynette is she has never repeated a song to his memory and knows all the lyrics by memory. And he wanted to convey this message. I will do this with Lynette on the phone. Davy Crockett sends his love and we'll visit you soon.
Speaker 2: Are you talking to Darling?
Speaker 1: I am talking to you. It's you're on baby.
Speaker 3: Jesus staveish Oh roum me tveryd horrid Jesus for tis.
Speaker 1: True?
Speaker 4: Oh way, I know you cud, I know.
Speaker 1: You, you said you.
Speaker 5: I know you could.
Speaker 3: Jesus around me Itch and every day ever free.
Speaker 1: Man. Yeah, so so did you? That was beautiful? By the way, did you hear that? Davy Crockett sends his love and we'll visit you soon.
Speaker 2: I want to go to church tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Are you you going?
Speaker 6: If Davy Crockett will take Miss Loaning to church, she'll go.
Speaker 1: Well, he said soon. I don't know if soon as soon as tomorrow, but he's listening, I know, so we'll see The last time we talked with Davy Crockett last week, he was in Sam Francisco watching Lady Gaga.
Speaker 2: Yes, but you know sent's homecoming.
Speaker 6: I've been trying to get there for six years. It's just thirty miles away.
Speaker 1: So you haven't been able to do a worship service at your home church for six years.
Speaker 2: That's right now.
Speaker 6: I don't want to pay sixty or eighty dollars for a cab, probably one hundred.
Speaker 2: But now gas isn't everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what what time's the service?
Speaker 2: Seven am?
Speaker 1: Seven o'clock? That is? That's that's a sunrise service, there is, that's what that is?
Speaker 2: Seven darling alas and I thought you say.
Speaker 1: I thought you said seven eleven. Okay, that's enough, probably more doable. Yes, seven would be definitely a sunrise service, which are always kind of cool.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if you got the boys for it. I try to have you in my life. Sally told me not to sing today. I said, well, Sally, by tomorrow my voice won't be like it is tonight.
Speaker 2: I have that touch with Jesus. They said, I don't know how you do it.
Speaker 6: Then I you sing up different than the way you talk. A lot of singers are that way.
Speaker 1: Sure you remember, uh, Jim Nabors was Gomer piling when he talks to goalie Sergeant Carter and then he opened up his mouth bug hold a gud and the beyond.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 6: Well, I heard Zach Brown recently on TV. I'm like, whoa the singing boys and a talking boy or two different people?
Speaker 1: Imagine that?
Speaker 2: Well, I love Zach Brown singing.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: I love you whether you're singing or not.
Speaker 2: I love you too, darling.
Speaker 6: When you're gonna come over and give us a answered everybody else, that's why not you?
Speaker 1: You know, my buddy Craig Wilson comes and sees you sometimes, so maybe, And I've played with Craig before, so maybe then on one of those Wednesdays when he's there, I'll be able to come. Okay, gotta line it up, baby.
Speaker 2: I have to get on the horn and say why not? Have great garys up and Greg?
Speaker 1: There you go when you get on the horn, and I'll do my part. Listen, have a wonderful weekend. It's going to be beautiful. I hope you get to church tomorrow and we'll talk to you soon. The lady Lynette and Dick is new you as we plunge into the first official hour of this Saturday Morning edition for Saturday, August the second, twenty twenty five. Tomorrow is my mother Miriam's eighty eighth birthday and christ to two point zero, and I are heading to Middletown, Wanness. That is a plan tomorrow morning to go and celebrate with her and dad, and as they get ready to move once again. My dad's going to be eighty nine, my mom's eighty eight, and they're moving again. I'll mean measuring for drapes in a new apartment on Monday. Very exciting stuff, but happy birthday early, Mom. And I don't know if they ever listen at all. Yeah, that was the thing with my parents. They were leery about me going into this business when I did when I was nineteen, and for some very good reason. They're two of the smartest people I know. I should have listened more than likely to them, but I didn't find out that they were smart till I was about thirty five, and then it was way too late. But they never have really been fans. It's not that they hate me on the radio, they just don't think about it. But I'm going to make sure they check out the podcast, so they can hear that. I said, happy birthday Mom on the air. I've called her before on her birthday. She didn't like that either. Let's talk to Dave from Harrison. Dave, good morning, who whoa whoa?
Speaker 4: Good morning?
Speaker 1: What was that.
Speaker 4: Your trailer yesterday on the Big One?
Speaker 2: Said?
Speaker 4: Uh, and there you might even hear monkeys.
Speaker 1: So you know.
Speaker 8: Every day at the zoo, nine am I used to who like that?
Speaker 5: I used to work there.
Speaker 1: What did you do with the Cincinnati Zoo.
Speaker 4: I was a super visor for the food service operation. Uh, the Cincinnati Caring concessions that worked.
Speaker 1: Out of there. Did you make the mistake of feeding the animals? No, let's get to the jokes, Dave three four.
Speaker 4: Three thirty four. Guard Jeff is.
Speaker 9: Back in the day, okay, like the old Testament times, know when the plagues, you know, were coming there. Plague number two was the frogs, you know, the plague of the frogs. They got they were everywhere, greed Jeff. They got so high, Jeff, you know how high the frogs got during the Second Flag and he DiPT there.
Speaker 1: Oh, at least as high as you are right.
Speaker 4: Now, Gar, Jeff.
Speaker 10: They got they got needed, needed, needed, I.
Speaker 1: Can always tell, Dave, I can always tell it's it's a really going to be a really really bad one when you have this elaborate, convoluted setup before you tell the joke, I can I can always tell it's going to be especially stinky. I'm I'm hoping that that was the worst of the lot, the worst, first, the best, last. Right, we've talked about this, I have tells.
Speaker 4: Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 1: Fifteen fifteen? All right, fifteen?
Speaker 10: You know I had you know I got cataract surgery, right, yeah, Well I can see all my goshir Jempa, I can see.
Speaker 4: An eagle now, I can see for miles and miles a mile.
Speaker 10: But when when I came out of the operation and I went back out in the uh, it's going to be too the waiting room there where Cathy was, I'll never ever forget looking at her, and I'll never forever get what I said.
Speaker 4: You know what I said.
Speaker 1: I said, that's that's your that's your your lovely wife. Dave. It's he's not getting any better, Dave, you understand this, Do you know why?
Speaker 9: Because the other day I was in a grocery store and a man started throwing cheese and butter and yogurt ad make.
Speaker 4: Jeff right, how dairy?
Speaker 1: It didn't even make any sense. Dave Kamala Harris makes more sense.
Speaker 11: Jokes told by Dave from Harrison are not necessarily considered funny by the staff, management, or advertisers of seven hundred WLW or his parent company, iHeartMedia. If these attempts at humor have caused you to roll your eyes, made your stomach churn, or you have considered the entire exercise to be a colossal waste of time, we deeply apologize. Now back to our irregular programming so.
Speaker 1: I can summarize yesterday's press conference with Purval and DG and all of the rest of the so called leaders have sent a explaining how they're going to keep the public and businesses safe from the assorted animals on the street downtown and let the police do their job and actually arrest people and then keep them in jail. Please. That's my soapbox for right now.
Speaker 5: I did.
Speaker 1: I did want to reiterate it an email I got yesterday from a listener, Matt, and you could respond in kind if you wanted to. Gary Jeff Walker at seven hundred WLW dot com. He starts, are you listening to the clowns on WLW? Right now? These clowns need to go. The Cincinnati City Council, thank you, the police chief, thank you, and the mayor thank you. Don't care, all must go. It's exactly what I said last week, echoing the sentiments I try not to get on a soapbox on Saturday mornings. This show isn't for that necessarily, and do that all day long. But this is just too obvious and glaring to not at least acknowledge. I'm done, old radio Rick, good morning.
Speaker 5: Hey.
Speaker 4: You know you're doing great as a police chief when you become a headline on the Babylon B.
Speaker 1: Right, Oh yeah, I love to be.
Speaker 4: It's like, what is the chief of police in Cincinnati ask people to stop filming crime as it makes her look bad.
Speaker 1: The Babylon b is a fantastic political satirical site, and yes they tend to be more conservative, obviously, but they are extremely funny all the time.
Speaker 4: Yes, yep, and unfortunately it's not as what satires it used to be because a lot of their satirical headlines are bringing true I.
Speaker 1: Know, absolutely absolutely, So what are you how are you listening on and how are we coming in this morning?
Speaker 4: Well, bear with me. This is a reception report by proxy. Excuse me. You're coming in three by three and that's a good thing because this is on a six tube nineteen thirty six Westinghouse WR five two car radio that is currently mounted in a nineteen forty packard and you're being listened to it in that car on top of a hill in a family's remote ranch in rural Nevada.
Speaker 5: Good.
Speaker 1: This sounds like the setup of a Day from Harrison.
Speaker 4: Joke, but there's no punchline except that you're coming in three by three in Nevada. That's pretty good.
Speaker 1: No, it's it's not terrible. I agree. So people are listening for people are listening to me right now on a nineteen forty PA in a nineteen forty packard in Nevada. That's right.
Speaker 4: And he's dressed like banichik.
Speaker 1: Do you make it?
Speaker 4: Two of you who get that joke?
Speaker 1: Tell me about the radio rick.
Speaker 4: It's known as the drum major because it looks just like a snare drum. Okay, if a snared drum head wires coming out of the side and had a speaker grill on top, and the head was made out of metal and had a Westinghouse logo on it. I don't know, and it's called a drum major, not a drum, so I don't do whatever Westinghouse came up with the nickname, it wasn't somebody else, but no, it's a cute little thing, pardon me. And I'm typical of a nineteen thirty six and years around that radio four a card on number one at sixfold, which means at some point in time somebody hooked it up to a twelve old card and blew it up, So that was kind of fun to deal with. And the other thing is that it had a separate two separate units. So in this case, the thing that looks like a drum has the speaker and all the tubes and all the electronics in it, and then there are mechanical cables almost like bicycle cables that run up to the head end unit, which has the tuning controls on a volume control and the dial itself. And in this particular model, it could either mount underneath a dash in the dash or strapped to the side of the steering column. And he's got it mounted nicely under the dash, and it was basically universal when it wasn't made for the car.
Speaker 1: Strapped to the side of the steering column. That doesn't sound like that would be a great design.
Speaker 4: But it's it's very noticeable. And let's face it, nineteen thirty six, you've got a radio in your car, Really you kind of want to make sure it's obvious. I guess I don't know. Ye watching either when you're using the clutch, Buddy, I got you.
Speaker 1: That's it so well.
Speaker 4: The catalog automatic volume control. Three words that have never been more misleading in the old history. Variable tone control, which means it's a knob. Suppressor, suppressors unnecessary, Okay, but an explanation might be, yeah, I mean, what does that mean?
Speaker 1: Suppressors unnecessary?
Speaker 4: You don't need suppressors?
Speaker 2: Okay, I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't say. I can't think of the last time I needed a suppressor.
Speaker 4: But okay, Well, the important thing about suppressors is they suppress, and if you suppress with the suppressor, then things are suppressed. I have no idea adequate sense, Oh I love this. Adequate sensitivity and selectivity.
Speaker 1: Adequate that's what we're looking for here on this show. Every Saturday morning, is adequacy.
Speaker 4: And finally, rigid bounting, So we decided to provide you with a couple of bolts instead of a shoelace mount in the car.
Speaker 1: I guess I don't know rigid mounting. That sounds like something else entirely.
Speaker 4: That we're not going to go bad.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, thank you so much for the report. And where where in Nevada is this radio in this packard being listened to?
Speaker 4: I think he's about twenty miles out of Vegas.
Speaker 1: Okay, as long as he got it, As long as he doesn't drive across the country and have an AR fifteen when he gets here, I'm fine.
Speaker 4: He's got a huge ranch out there where he raises absolutely gorgeous old cars bar I should say restores.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well don't they all? Thank you so much. Six two at seven out of WLW. Oh good morning, Good morning, Good morning Gary Jeff for Saturday morning edition and our old buddy Steve from Edna with a fifthyphone called a news of the week. Good morning sir, Good morning, Derek, Jeff and Ken.
Speaker 12: I thought I heard someone saying, don't worry be happy at the jazz fest. I'm going to turned out to be a city council woman. So I didn't take it too seriously, and well I shouldn't. US Senator Bernie Marino appeared on a national talk show Friday and correctly identified the woman who was severely beaten as a middle aged American, not a Russian citizen as she had been described elsewhere. After hearing the description of her injuries, I would question that don't happy, be worry? Excuse me, don't worry, be happy mantras.
Speaker 1: I think you were right.
Speaker 4: I think that was right the first time.
Speaker 8: The truly shocking part is the question is this news.
Speaker 12: Several weeks ago, three black football players at a South Carolina football camp beat a white player so badly he'll miss his senior year. The black players got a one game suspension. The excuse was the white player said something that was the initial complaint by the attackers in Cincinnati. This excuse was heard some time ago in Texas at a high school camp incident.
Speaker 1: Where's the proof and even if it comes.
Speaker 12: From an unbiased source, what has all this CRT and other federally approved hate gotten us? Is there a new code of justice? Cincinnati is the birthplace of Charles Manson of Helter Skelter fame and the Tate Lobbianca murders in Los Angeles by the so called Manson family. Charlie got a death sentence, but the US Supreme Court reduced that to life in prison. He died a few years ago. Charlie was always good copy. As the journalists say, his final years mirrored the book and film about him entitled Chaos. You can find the same theme in Karl Marx and George Soros, and I contend we're in the third stage of guerrilla warfare, as taught by Chairman Maoe, all at war in the major metro areas, look no further in Chicago, La, Boston, and of course New York. Manson's last prayers was for a race war in the United States that can only happen if we allow it to happen. I was what thinking this week of a nineteen fifty four William Golding publication which many think is one of the scariest anti social theme stories ever written, Lord of the Flies, about a group of white British kids marooned on a desert island after a plane crash. Initially, they focus on rescue efforts that devolves into hunting and horseplay. Tensions rise and they split into two groups, and the savagery begins. By the time that a naval officer finds them, there has been adult worthy chaos, and one of the leaders is weeping over the violence and loss of innocence. It might be a good time to stop and ask, now, what's next? Quote She gave me a dirty look, so I offered the mother. In twenty twenty two, psychiatrist Mark McDonald rolled out a study of the fear factor in physical and mental illness. His best work on this subject is United States of Fear. He was interviewed by Cheryl Atkinson on full vasor during the COVID hysteria and the coincidental government overreach that went with it. He observed among his patients increased anxiety, fear, depression, and suicidal thoughts. Considering all variables, he centered on the climate of fear stoked by public health officials, media and educational establishment lockdowns, maths, and of course, vaccination mandates. Doctor McDonald concludes it all took on a life of its own. This is a perfect storm that has caused us with the help of socialist democrats, campus terrorists CCP, dominated university classrooms, and labs, and we need rhinos to back burner that big, marvelous new age coming shortly. It's big, but it ain't marvelous and it certainly is not new Gary Jeff. One more thing, Harrison Bucker, I think appeared with the President in Washington when we reinaugurated the presidential fitness tests for kids.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 4: And the three words that he used.
Speaker 12: Were mind, body, and soul. I think we need to remember that, don't we take care of yourselves?
Speaker 1: By now? Great stuff from Steve Simon again this week, and he's right on point. And as it relates to the COVID hysteria, I thought it by not being afraid, no matter what I was told by people on this radio station that I worked on, by the ads, by the news report, wors of all the death and the virility, the virility of the disease itself and it was the next plague, I didn't believe it, and I didn't live in fear and I don't live in fear of a race war because that's not what I see on a day to day basis living my life. Maybe I'm just not in the right place to really witness it, or maybe I ignore it as best I can and don't let fear rule my life. That being said, I don't have any great desire right now to go to downtown Cincinnati, not because I'm that afraid, but because I'm not participating. I don't want the trophy ray in the Loveland. Good morning friend, mister Scott brother. What are you doing?
Speaker 8: My brother of another mother? Happy birthday mom? And I'm so glad you're and Krista get.
Speaker 1: To go down there. And I, oh, that's the plan anyway.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I'm making you know, of course, and I'm trying to get over Did you say the green Horners that shared has the same birthday as our mothers?
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right. Your your happy birthday to your mom. This is you know that That freaked me out almost more than when I found out that jim Lebarbara and I share the same birthday December twenty second. But when I found out that your mother and my mother, both living down in Tennessee, had had the birthday of August third, that was just like, Okay, that doesn't happen every day.
Speaker 8: And in the same town and I in the same town. Yeah, yeah, it's possible. I might see you on the flip flop down there at Spring Grove because I have to deliver for serprise candy and uh, you know I don't uber that into her and so that that will get hand delivered.
Speaker 1: And I, uh, this is this guy, no hold on this guy who's talking right now? Ray Scott brought my mother donuts to her door in Hendersonville, Tennessee. Was that for Mother's Day? Or was that was that Mother's Day?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was Mother's Day.
Speaker 8: You didn't get to go down that year, and I was.
Speaker 1: I got to, So yeah, that was.
Speaker 8: And she's just a wonderful You know what was so neat about that?
Speaker 1: Your mother?
Speaker 8: Before I left, she said, would you give Garry Chaff a hug from me? And and just as luck would have it, I traversed back here on a Saturday and came down the station and.
Speaker 7: Honored her wishes, which was delivered my mom's hug.
Speaker 1: I remember.
Speaker 8: That's sure.
Speaker 1: Well, happy birthday to your mom, yes, and.
Speaker 8: A and a joyous occasion with your with your parents and your pops, and all the best to your brother. And I will reach out that maybe maybe I'll run into you, but I'm just so thrilled that you get to go because when you're in your sixties and you get to see your mother on her birthday, you know, I think those are just good days.
Speaker 5: My brother, those are really really good days.
Speaker 8: So let's let's cherish the moment and h yeah, these are good days. So God bless you, my brother.
Speaker 1: We're very blessed to still have Mom and Pop with us at this stage of our lives. And cherish every moment your.
Speaker 13: Enjoyed to break from the heat and humidity this weekend with sunny skyes temperatures in your eighty a beautiful weekend from start to finish. We'll stay dry today and also most of tomorrow, but a stray shaw possible Sunday afternoon. Look for temba services to stayble below ninety degrees over the next nine days. From your Sphere weather station, I'm nine first one of meteorologists to kjj Goes News Radio seven hundred WLWU.
Speaker 14: Crystal Clear fifty nine right now. Our next update coming up at seven point thirty. I'm Sandy Collins News Radio seven hundred WLWL.
Speaker 15: News twenty four hours a day. News Radio seven hundred WLW into.
Speaker 1: Another hour of the Saturday morning edition for this Saturday, August second twenty twenty five. I'm Gary Jeff Walker. I bet you're glad you're not. Six minutes after the hour, a shout out to Pamela Yanko and her crew who are planning on coming to the after the show show today at Huddles. Look forward to see you. And yes, Pam, thank you for bringing the olives. It's the most unusual thing in the world that someone would drink Jack Daniels with olives, but it happens.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: Here's a guy who I don't think drinks anything except for the occasional communion wine. Steve Shulty, our environmental engineer, is back. Good morning, mister Shulty. How are you this morning?
Speaker 4: Gary jep Good morning. That's always better than I deserve.
Speaker 1: No, Steve, you started out being on this show by being actually in the studio. And I'd like to introduce my friend Ken Carly who's here. Ken, say hello to Steve. Hey, Steve, Good morning Ken and Ken.
Speaker 4: How do you like to view in that room?
Speaker 1: It's just gorgeous like a box. This stuffed Willie doll here. Yeah, the Willie Ventrilocus doll is a highlight now. Yeah, uh, so we're talking about talk. You got two things, and let me refamiliarize myself with what you had sent me. You wanted to shout out to a couple of people while we're on the air.
Speaker 7: Right right, shout out to Alvin Meyer, Vietnam, VET and also to Bob Tembrink, both of whom I've.
Speaker 4: Known for many, many decades.
Speaker 1: All right, fantastic, wanted to.
Speaker 5: Do that the check.
Speaker 7: Yep, onto the show. So got this thing this past Monday, July twenty eighth from the coalition CO two Coalition which CO two Coalition dot org newsletter. Its title was Arkansas and Climate change, No warming, no crisis, no problem.
Speaker 1: So we got some more good news.
Speaker 7: So basically what the CO two Coalition is doing is putting out different publications. They have a series of state regional reports coming up, and like other places around the world, claims have been made that Arkansas is experiencing negative impacts from our inhalation and unusual and unprecedented warming driven by the human emissions of carbon dioxide.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 7: However, the primary and surprising takeaway of the research for the state of Arkansas is that hit it has experience experienced virtually no warming over the past hundred plus years. In fact, the hottest temperatures have declined while minimum temperatures have increased substantially, leading to a lengthy growing season. So I had cultural production, but globally and in Arkansas has been breaking records.
Speaker 4: Year after year. And why is this happening, Gary Jeff?
Speaker 7: The production is at trivial first, because we have a little bit of warming lower which means longer growing season, increasing carbon dioxide fertilization effects, and from fossil fuel derived nygrogen fertilizer.
Speaker 1: How dare how dare you deny the heat dome We've been gripped in this summer, the hottest summer run record one hundred degrees here and there and everywhere. Steve, It's it's the end of life as we know it isn't it now?
Speaker 7: It isn't not private facts, because the facts are showing that if CO two and warmer weather was going to decline food production, Gary Jeff, wouldn't we have some signs of that by now?
Speaker 1: Yes, the famine would be one.
Speaker 7: Yeah, all signs produce point the robust food production globally and as well as in Arkansas will continue in the foreseeable future. So you know that's the conclusion is there's no evidence of a man made catastrophic climate change. And why did I say that a catastrophic climate There's always been climate change, Gary Jeff, you know since the Earth was first formed.
Speaker 1: However long ago.
Speaker 4: You one believe.
Speaker 1: Every day it is every day we have climate change somewhere. Yep, we're experiencing right now in this part of the country. We are experiencing a great weekend of climate change compared to the nineties and hundreds we were dealing with a week ago. Steve, We're we're enjoying climate change right now. It's sixty degrees this morning, there's a nice cool breeze, there's zero almost zero humidity. The do points like at forty eight. I love this climate change we get.
Speaker 7: Gary Jepp talk about an We never hit one hundred degrees, No have you know recently? Now now the heat index is the headline. Yes, why it feels like because it feels like as well as it sounds like.
Speaker 1: It's work.
Speaker 8: But it is worse.
Speaker 7: But we've been dealing with heat index for ever since the man was alive. But you and I we didn't hear about heat heat index.
Speaker 1: Steve, But Steve, but Steve, if you tell people there's a crisis. They'll continue to listen, they'll continue to get clicks, and the people people who are telling you that it's getting hotter and harder from man made climate change, will continue to get money. Yeah, it's all about getting attention. A bunch of intentions seeking pigs. That's what we're dealing with. Thank you, mister Shulty. Hey, thank you for not being an attention seeking pig, even though you're on the radio with me every Saturday. It's seven twelve, it's seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 16: Some scientists believe early man began speaking between fifty thousand and two million years ago to teach each other how to make stone tools.
Speaker 1: Oh thug zud What wrong me? No, can't get ludnuts off cart tire with hand?
Speaker 17: Here?
Speaker 1: Who try my impact driver? Ah zug zug.
Speaker 16: Lucky to have friends like you, and thanks to our Paleolithic predecessors, we have the Eddie and Rocky Show. They want to hear what you have to say. Eddie and Rocky Monday afternoon at three on seven hundred WLW Gheit the podcast of their show on the iHeart app.
Speaker 18: Excuse me, I know you have a nine o'clock so I'll keep this short. I'm a business suit in the back of your closet.
Speaker 12: You wore me nearly.
Speaker 18: Every day before your office went quote casual. I used to be the CEO of your closet. Now I'm just that one intern no one ever talks to. I always thought you'd circle back with me, get granular, keep me in the pipeline. But nada, nothing. Don't you remember the McKittrick presentation. You spilled coffee on me and I still looked amazing during the breakout talkback, Q and A. So I think it's time for me to move on. I've got a great resume and I absolutely crush it in interviews. Okay, let's make this a clean break shift the paradigm. The only thing I ask is that you think outside the box here and do this. Take me to Goodwill where I can really make a difference.
Speaker 19: Your donations to Goodwill create new jobs, training programs, and education assistance for people in your community. To find your nearest donation center, go to Goodwill dot org. Donate stuff, create jobs. A message from Goodwill and the ad Council.
Speaker 1: Here forre on another Saturday morning, Dave Hatter, So that is the question when AI commits a crime. Who's to blame? Do you know?
Speaker 5: And you know I do not know, Gary jeffs. And I think it's a really interesting and important question to ask. Is this technology advances so interestingly enough? And you may have seen this out on the internet and your travels. There's been a meme. Well, I don't know it's really mean. I believe it's legit. Back in nineteen seventy nine presentation was given at IBM and wanted to slide. So this is the old school slide, Gary Jeff remember the old transparency of the everhead projector Yeah, and I'm teraphrasing here, but it's something to the effect of machines can never make management or executive decisions because they can't be held accountable. Now that's interesting because obviously in nineteen seventy nine things are very different than they are now. And you know, we've seen stories. There's this crazy story of teacherism about how people are using these generative AI tools and lose their minds and do all kinds of crazy things. So that's one potential angle. But I think that the more important angle is you may have heard the term AI augentics or agentic AI and this is the idea that I'm not just sitting behind the computer typing prompts into the AI and it's giving me information. I'm actually setting these things off to do something like, for example now. And I want to be very clear, Garry Jeff, there is no chance, at any point in the near future.
Speaker 1: Will I do something like this.
Speaker 5: But let's talk of Okay, well, I would use an AI agent and give it bank, give it access to my bank account, and let it book a flight for me, or let to try to find better deals for me online or whatever. Right, And there is absolutely no chance I would cut one of these things loose and let it have access to anything financial to act on my behalf, because we know they hallucinate. There's all kinds of stories in the press about these things going wrong, although that's much less of what you hear in the news because of the hype of how you know everything. It's going to be a utopia and no one's going to have to work or we're all going to die, whichever side of the.
Speaker 1: Store you get.
Speaker 5: And if you were allowed that to happen, and or if these things had agency. Let's say we get to a point and I think we will eventually get there where you have robots that have this capability and the robot goes bad. We've all seen the movies.
Speaker 4: Well, who's responsible for that? Is it the software writer?
Speaker 5: Is it the person that owns the robot or unleashes the augentic AI or whatever? And you know, right now there are no laws on any of this stuff. I don't know what the answer that is. But as this progresses, I think we need to start talking about this because again, who is to blame if an authentic AI were let loose to do something and let's say, for example, it opened the floodgates on a dam and you know, caused the downriver death of people or anything. Again, that's just one example that happened to screen to mind, who would be responsible for that? And I don't know what the answer is at this point. There's no law that I'm aware of that even touches on this. As fast as it's move I think it's you know, when you look at the glacial speed the Congress moves, you know, who knows where they are on something like this? I think it's a very important question.
Speaker 1: Well, and you just mentioned the glacial speed at which Congress moves it put that in correlation or comparing that to the speed at which the technology is moving. I mean, even if Congress moved at more than a snail's pace, it still couldn't keep up with the technology and where it's going and how exponentially it's growing on a day to day basis. I did have one story to relate to you, real quick, Dave, Well, I got you. I had a friend in to do some radio with me the other day on studio, and we got we sat down and we're getting ready to go on the air, and he says, oh, I better. I turned off my phone, but I better turn off my watch. And he talks to his watch, and his watch responds when he asked to turn off. I'm sorry, I can't do that, and he did it really yes, and he and he asked it again. He asked it again. He said that is not something I can do right now. And we were both just looking at each other. I said, it's two thousand and one. Yeah, I'm sorry, Dave, real quick.
Speaker 5: That's so funny you bring that up, because you know, hey, that's that's one of my favorite movies of all time. How How I to have a computer with a big red eye so creepy. But back in the day, the Windows error found. So you know, you're doing something on your Windows based computer that makes it air and it makes a noise. Yeah, for a long time I used that sound, you know, since my name is Dave, I just thought that was hilarious, so, you know, instead of the standard Windows air and I God, I'm sorry, Dave. I'm just saying I can't do that now that but that's that was funny.
Speaker 4: Then it's much cre It's really creepy.
Speaker 1: As I'm watching it happen right in front of me, the watch is telling him, no, I can't do that. When he made a simple request for the watch to turn off. It's already happening, Dave, It's already happened. Take care of good luck.
Speaker 4: Ye thank you.
Speaker 1: Seven one time for the Tom Davis Diaries, or I like to refer to these as the diary that bad man Again the aforementioned Tom Davis our cover reporter with wild, wacky, weird stories from around the world, around the country.
Speaker 20: Tom, Good Morning, Gary, Jeff. This week don't mess with two year old boys in India. But first police and Neo show Missouri picked up a couple of brothers after they got into an all out brawl in the parking lot of a Burger King. Now, what could possibly cause blood brothers to attack each other, well, a blow up doll, of course. One of the brothers pulled up to the restaurant with a blow up doll on the car, saying it was his sibling's birthday present. This enraged the other brother and they had it out in the parking lot. They were arrested for assault and resisting. In Mississippi, fossil hunters got an eye fool when Donald Hatfield was seen running around naked at the Booneville Fossil Park. His trollobyte was on full display. Cops found drugs in his car. He gave no explanation as to why he had no clothes. A guy in Texas was taunting police on Facebook saying that having a worn out is like the adult version of hide and Seek for its Eugene case got to live it up for about a week before cops won the game and found him. He had a Warren out for an outstanding drug arrest.
Speaker 1: And finally, they don't.
Speaker 20: Come much tougher than two year old boys. In India, a small child bit a venomous cobra to death after it coiled around his arms. Go Vinda Kumar fought off the three foot snake after a lunched at him while he was outside playing. He was gnawing and tearing at its scales until it finally let go and fell off and died.
Speaker 1: He was taken to the hospital and is in stable condition.
Speaker 20: Next week, Spurned woman destroys Florida home with heavy machinery. Have a great weekend, big game in Bristol, Tennessee at the Bristol Motor Speedway.
Speaker 1: Liam Yeah.
Speaker 21: The Reds look to take the series against the Braves this evening with the game at Bristol Motor Speedway. Important games were down to fifty one games left in the season. Chase Burns takes them mount for the Red Spencer Strider takes them mount for the Braves. First pitch set for seven to fifteen inside pitch because a six fifteen right here on the Home of the Reds seven hundred WLW. Lee's Cup play continues tomorrow night with the Orange and Blue as they faced Warrez at five point thirty on ESPN fifteen to thirty.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Sir Ken Curly Our Saturday morning, sidekick. You know, with this show's amazingly huge budget. You know you thought Stephen Colbert he had two hundred people working for him, right, costing CBS forty million dollars a year, or they were losing forty million dollars a year. This show has an enormous budget too. And you know, not only do we have to account for the news department, which do a remarkably adequate job at the top and bottom of the hours, but Liam Tomlinson, who not only does sports but is the producer of the program and keeps us on the ear. And of course they have to pay my six figure if you count the decimal point in the right place salary every year. But we found room in the budget for Ken. Carly and Ken welcome once again to the show. As she watched the sausage being made, is it as disgusting as a sausage factory? That's the question. You made an interesting point. You were listening on the way in as I began, as I always do on Saturday morning, with history as it relates to this particular date in nineteen eighty five, forty years ago today, you were a pilot, a commercial airlines pilot, and they had the crash of the flight one ninety one, the Delta flight in Dallas of attempting to land at Dallas or DFW International Airport, and you just kind of related to me the story of well, I.
Speaker 22: I was actually having dinner with a friend of mine in Dayton, Ohio that I had flown with commuters back in Illinois and came back to the room and saw the coverage of the accident, and it just so happened that next morning when we flew the next morning early out of Dayton to Atlanta and then on to Dallas that day, so we got to into Dallas. You saw the aftermath.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, see it was.
Speaker 22: That the mic It started all the investigation into the microburse that come out of the thunderstorms, and that really created a lot of equipment that was later put on the airplanes.
Speaker 1: But that's what caused that crass was a microbverse. Yeah.
Speaker 22: It was an L ten eleven, big, big, wide bodied aircraft. Now how many years did you fly KIM twenty six with Delda?
Speaker 1: Did you? I mean, when stuff like that happens, how do you how do you react getting in the cockpit again after an accident like that? And the terrible loss of life and knowing that you are going down with the ship, so to speak. If something like that happens, I mean, how internally, how do you deal with that? Well, I don't really think that. You don't certainly dwell on it. As most accidents, we learned from them. Try to not to let them happen again they come up with another accident. But does it give you pause before you get in the cockpit?
Speaker 5: You know what?
Speaker 22: You know what when you when you're flying in the cockpit, you're in your own little seat up there, you're working with your crew, and you really don't think about the the all the people back there.
Speaker 1: You really don't. It's it's just you're doing your job and looking out much money. Talk about the people, but think about yourself. I mean, well sure, sure, but you're in control.
Speaker 22: And I think that's what a lot of people that don't like to fly, they don't like to give up that control.
Speaker 1: Uh So you got you.
Speaker 22: Yeah, it's it's a you feel in control.
Speaker 1: I don't. It's an incredible responsibility though, And you know, and we can't think about that now. We'll we'll talk about it more. Uh maybe as time goes a time permits this morning rock and Roll Archaeology, the music professor Jim Lebarbara coming up right afternoons into another hour of the Saturday morning. It is for this Saturday Morning, August second, twenty twenty five and GJ. Dubbs with in studio our Saturday morning side sidekick, Ken Carly is going to be pressed into service. Here. He's got headphones on. Usually when Ken has headphones on, it means he's taxing down the runway getting ready to take off.
Speaker 22: True, still still at times? Yes, yes, you still do fly from time to time. Yes, yeah, get out and get you just don't slip the surly bonds as they say, you don't get paid for it now. No, no, kind of like here, Yeah, what did you enjoy.
Speaker 1: Most that you can talk about on the air of being a commercial airline?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 22: Thank god we didn't have cell phones back then, right, You know what I really the people, the people he worked with, and also we laid over in a lot of different cities, some of my favorites, you know, San Antonio and even Cleveland. We had a nice place there in Cleveland, and you get to know the people. You know that that doesn't happen very often. You would say, I've found a nice place in Cleveland. Well, it's usually it's usually the people that work at the hotels. It's usually the people that work at the gates at the airports, and you just you get to know them after a while. And so you know, doing that for twenty six years, you know, and I've been retired from from the major airline for twenty years. I flew some corporate afterwards, but but yeah, it's been It was twenty years ago this fall, probably next month, twenty years ago that all the bankruptcies were happening in the airline industry, and I decided to leave with part of my pension and take my chances, you know, as long as there was still somebody left so you could get some And it turned out they ended up canceling at all.
Speaker 1: What was the biggest jet you ever piloted?
Speaker 22: I flew the seven fifty seven and seven sixty seven my last year, and I did some like New York to San Juan and Bermuda, and then also we did a lot of that. If you remember Delta Song, the Song they had the lower cost line within Delta, so the Song airplanes would go like New York to Vegas and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: So that was that was some good times. Discounted flights.
Speaker 22: Yeah, yeah, they had different service on it, different colored airplanes, but but it was all Delta Cruz.
Speaker 1: Do you usually just fly commuter jets or did you do a lot of that too?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 22: I did commuters when to get to Delda. I did that back in my hometown in Illinois for a couple of years prior to prior to joining.
Speaker 1: What's what's the biggest difference between a seven sixty seven and your average commuter jet.
Speaker 22: Well, commuter or light airplanes in general, which I flew. I was non military. I was one of the few of the proud the civilians back then. Really the difference is a high altitude. I hadn't been high altitude or or dealing with pressurization a lot of time, things like that that were just different from me because I worked in the realm of ten thousand feet in below for so many years.
Speaker 1: But well, science mic is below the weather and everyone else is below the weather unless you're flying in a seven sixty seven to thirty five thousand feet or whatever.
Speaker 22: Right, Yeah, and then I did fly some corporate so I got to go even up into the mid forties and high forties, No kidd in a gulf stream. Later on, when I worked the corporate here out of Lunkan Airport for quite a few years.
Speaker 1: Runovan and Jones were talking about well, Jones talking about Stewardess.
Speaker 22: Is well not quite politically correct anymore?
Speaker 1: Well anymore? But when did that change? Did that change in the course of you being a pilot?
Speaker 22: Think about all the time I got there. I went on the line in January of nineteen eighty, and I think things had kind of kind of changed by then. But I definitely saw a transformation in the whole arena of flying. I mean, I don't think I'd even want to be doing it now. I think it's it's the job is totally different and the people are totally different. We used to say, you don't talk about the union, or politics or religion in the cockpit, and I think that still goes as a general.
Speaker 1: Probably other things you don't talk about as a pilot in the cockpit. All right, d I did you experience the changeover in well, you know, I actually had that.
Speaker 22: Interestingly enough, I had a little brush with that when I was in college because I was I wanted a job full time flight instructing when I got out of college for until I could get the commuter job or whatever. I was told by the secretary that I was a candidate but because I was, you know, generally just white, and that they were trying to go with the affirmative action things back then. But actually kind of kind of like you talk about, she said, don't worry about it, because she says, usually when they call up and find out what we pay, you know, you'll end up with the job.
Speaker 1: So that's what I did. I ended up with the job. That's how I got this job exactly. Ken Carly or Saturday Morning sidekick Science Mike hopefully returning next week. We will pray for him, and I will ask Brother Green to do that here in just a moment. As we continue eight to write toward the cot Ice.
Speaker 13: Temperatures near eighty a beautiful weekend from start to finish. Will stay drive today and also most of tomorrow, but a stray shaw possible Sunday afternoon. Look for temperatures to stay below ninety degrees over the next nine days. From your Severe Weather station, I'm nine first one to media all just to kJ take us newsbody goes seven hundred wl W.
Speaker 14: Sixty one Now on your Saturday morning. I'm Sandy Collins Next News at nine on News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 15: News twenty four hours a day. He was a radio seven hundred WLW Good.
Speaker 1: Morning, Kids Time or gifts from Wali. What's in a Name? A pregnant woman gets into a terrible car accident and she's in a coma. Six months she wakes up and sees that she's no longer pregnant. Frantically, she asks for the doctor about her baby. The doctor comes in said, ma'am, don't worry. You had twins, a boy and a girl. They're both healthy. They're fine. Your brother came in and named them for you. And the woman says, how loud, Not my brother, he's an idiot. Expecting the worst, she asked the doctor, well, what it's the girl's name? The doctor says Denise. The new mother thinks that's not too bad. I like Denise. What's the boys' name? The doctor says the nephew.
Speaker 23: Seven hundred WLW Cincinnati and iHeartRadio Station make us the number one pre set on your car radio and on the free, new and improved iHeartRadio app. Listen for all your music radio and podcast free never sounded so good News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: We'll hear the radio app so that we actually have a reporter on the scene in Bristol, adjacent to or close to the Bristol Motor Speedway where the Reds will take on the Braves this evening. The first ever Major League game on television or in Tennessee. Not on television in Tennessee, and uh not quite a record crowd in attendance. Also in the studio, my friend Ken Carly joining us on the ground from this incredible sports venue. We're maybe a few miles from it right now. The one and only Austin Elmore, the co host of since three sixty on ESPN, fifteen thirty Extra Innings, any numerous things just to keep busy and keep employed here at seven hundred WLWA, now joining us this morning from somewhere near the speedway. Good morning Austin, Good morning Gary, Jeff. It's a pleasure to hear your voice. And I've heard that it is going to be a record crowd. They're thinking now over ninety thousand tickets sold. Major League Baseball's kind of keeping it close to the vest. But we might be flirting with ninety five, maybe one hundred by the time first pitch happens later to well, maybe for a regular season game. But our friend Ken Carly and his wife came up with these facts. Ken, what is the record attendance for any Major League baseball game? And this is a preseason, numb preseason? Yeah.
Speaker 22: Oh, actually actually back with Boston Red Sox playing the Los Angeles Dodgers at the Coliseum in two thousand, thousand and eight, two thousand and eight. Yeah, how many one hundred and fifteen thousand, three hundred.
Speaker 1: One hundred and fifteen thousand three. So they're going to have to really start selling the tickets if they want Bristol to beat the record. And Ken, conversely, you actually have the lowest attendance for a professional a Major League baseball game.
Speaker 22: Yeah, regular season game. The lowest attendance was back in eighteen eighty two, in September, near the end of the season. I guess they weren't contenders. The Troy Trojans professional team playing the Wooster Woolsters in Worcester.
Speaker 1: Thester's in Worcester, and they say it was a bad day. Paid attendance was six.
Speaker 22: Fans had very little interest in watching the lame duck teams, and especially on the day which the Boston Globe said it was bleak, cold and windy.
Speaker 1: So those are the two ends of the spectrum. So we've got a ways to come up with one hundred and fifteen thousand, three hundred to day. Let's talk about the teams that are going to be competing there in the infield of Bristol Motor Speedway. It was suggested Austin that maybe by more than one person, that the cars should be racing at the same time the game is going on, and the players would have to dodge the traffic for fly balls. I don't know about dods.
Speaker 17: And traffic for fly balls, but I do think they should just have cars racing around the track while they play.
Speaker 1: Would that be great? Well, I mean there's got to be some health concerns for the players, you know, even going to.
Speaker 17: Even if the ball goes on to the track and then bust a windshield and the next thing, you know, all hell breaks lose.
Speaker 1: I'd be all for it. I mean, I have a hard time going to motor racing events in general. The few times I've gone, just because you are overtaken with the smell of fuel and your ears, your ears ring for hours after the race is over. I mean it just you know, there are some definite things that you need to take along with you, like oxygen and ear plugs if you're gonna go to any NASCAR event. Yes, So, I mean is this is obviously the first time in Tennessee for a Major League Baseball game. What's the biggest what's the biggest draw for you? Just the fact that it's kind of like one of those field Dreams moments, or it's just special in a way that other major league games are. What what is the appeal for an Austin know more besides work? I think that it's it's just something different.
Speaker 17: I mean, Major League Baseball has thrown a lot of different things at the wall and they're trying to see what sticks. I mean, you mentioned the Field of Dreams game in Iowa, and they're renovating.
Speaker 1: That facility right now and it's going to come back and be like an every year thing.
Speaker 17: The Little League World Series game that they play in Williamsport every year every year. They've bounced around to different countries, but they're just trying to go in different places and markets they haven't been and trying to appeal to different types of fans and spread the I guess the gospel of Major League Baseball now Bristol, Tennessee, there is going to be a ton and there are a ton of Atlanta Braves fans. I mean, the Braves fan base is among the biggest in all of sports, certainly in baseball. And so you know that kind of buds right up with Red's country. So these two teams make a lot of sense. And then you get a chance to play in a state that you've never played in before in this iconic right racetrack. It's just kind of a cool way to try to spread the game of baseball now. Honestly, when it first came out, I looked at it and I was like, I don't know if this is going to be an event that I would want to attend, just because of where the field is at in comparison to the track and the distance and the stands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, are you really here, Jeff? Are you really able to give any sitelines Austin on the.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I still have doubts if I'm going to be able to see the game all that well today. To be honest, we're out in center field, so we're going to be really far away from home plate. I don't know exactly what the angle is going to look like.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 17: At first I was like, I'm not going to go, and then all my friends are like, Hey, we're going to go. You should come, and so I started to have fomo. So I decided, all right, I'll just go. So I'm curious to see what it looks like and if it's going to exceed my expectations or meet my expectations. I don't know how great of a game it's going to be to sit in person and watch, but I do think it'll be really cool on television.
Speaker 1: So I had heard rumors, but you're confirming this morning that you are fomo. I suffer. Okay, all right, I'm just getting it straight here. I don't have that fear of missing out thing. And I don't know if it's just a matter of being older or it probably is. You know, it's like I've seen it. Oh, I don't need What are you kids doing over there? Speaking of kids, Chase Burns is starting today and it has been suggested by a friend of mine who thinks that he's Nick Crawl or Tito Francona for some reason, as many baseball fans seem to around here, but seems to think that Chase Burns would be a much better fit in the bullpen at this stage in his career, with the heat he's got and the ability he's got, you know, coming coming out as a closer. I mean, you fire a hundred mile an hour fastballs and you're only seeing each batter's only seeing you for that one at bat. He might be more effective as a closer or as a reliever than as a starter. Any thoughts on that, Austin, Well, first.
Speaker 17: Of all, whoever your friend is, is probably just as qualified to be the president of Baseball Operations as Nick krawl is, who's been there for twenty years and really hasn't done anything for the organization. But I think a lot of people would agree with you that right now, Chase Burns is where he's supposed to be, but his future could be in the bullpen, and specifically, his future this year could be in the bullpen.
Speaker 1: The thing about Chase is that he's on an innings limit.
Speaker 17: He is not going to be able to throw a full slate of innings, and the Reds are being very careful with him because of his mechanics, because of how hard he throws. And so when they went out and acquired Zach Lttel the other day in the trade deadline, part of the reason for that is you can move Nick Martinez to the bullpen and the once Hunter Green comes back, you can move Chase Burns to the bullpen number one to be able to manage his innings number two to be able to give that group a boost. Now, I don't know if they're going to turn to him and make him the closer right away. Amelio Pagon has been up and down, but for the most part, the same guy all season long, and I think they like where he's at. But you're right, that bullpen has been taxed, it's been worked a lot, and if you're able to bring in some guys that are a little bit more fresh that can have the ability to throw one hundred mile an hour out of that bullpen. They really have one guy in the bullpen right now that can do that, and that's Luis May and he just got here from Louisville the other day. So if you can have somebody like that that can just create that sort of power and that sort of speed out of the bullpen especially. You know what I always think of compare it to is, you know, if Andrew Abbott starts a game and he's maxing out on ninety two miles an hour, ninety three miles an hour, and then you bring in Chase Burns who's throwing one hundred and two. I mean, that's difficult for a team to adjust to right away. So so I do think he can be a weapon in the bullpen. I think eventually we'll see him in the bullpen if the Reds are still in it. If not, they'll probably just go ahead and shut him down and get him ready.
Speaker 1: For next year. But I think that's the conversation that they're having. We have a small sample so far, But what about the Reds pickups here at the trade deadline? What about what about Cabrian Hayes.
Speaker 17: Yeah, incredible defender, although, of course on his first night and then most people would say he's not a good hitter. And then on his first night he hit a three run home run. So that's like the most Reds thing ever. But this is a guy that the Reds have decided is going to be a part of their young core for the future. He's going to be seven eight million dollars for the rest of the decade. They feel like you can put him there at third base. He's going to be an incredible defender. He's going to help your team in that way. And they believe that Chris Valaka can work with him to get his bat a little bit more consistent. Not going to be hitting thirty homers a year, but get him a little bit more consistent, because some of his advanced metrics are that he hits the ball hard, and he hits the ball in the right spot, but he often hits it in the air right to somebody. So if the Reds can kind of even that out, they feel like they can fix him. Miguel Andahar was an outfield today acquired from the Athletics. This is a true rental. He's an an unrestricted free agent at the end of this year. But he mashes against left handed pitching, which has been a bugaboo for the Reds for the last four or five years. So that probably spells the end for somebody like Connor Joe or Will Benson or Jake Fraley, guys who have proven that they really can't hit left handed pitching. So We'll see how the roster moves shake out with that, and then Zach Lttel starter. He's kind of in the same mold of Nick Martinez, who could go to the bullpen. As if they decide to keep Chase Burns in the rotation, Zach Lttel could be the guy who goes to the bullpen. He's got plenty, plenty of career appearances out of the bullpen for Tampa in his career.
Speaker 1: He doesn't walk a lot of guys.
Speaker 17: He has given up some home runs this year, but he has been playing in a minor league park in Tampa for most of the season. But overall, I think those acquisitions at the trade deadline raised the floor of the Reds. I don't know that it really raises the ceiling all that much, but it raises the floor.
Speaker 1: You know. If I were to give it a grade, I'd probably give it a C. All right, any comments anything left to say about that marathon game on Thursday night that we we thought, okay, they they pound us for eight runs and the top of the eighth, it's a it was three to three, it's eleven to three. I was getting ready to turn the game off. Austin and and then I don't know, I was distracted. Somebody said, my wife may have said something or whatever, and so of the TV's still on and I've still got the game on and bop, oh we got we got somebody on base here in the bottom of the eighth. No big deal, there are eight runs down. This is not This game is essentially over for all intents and purposes. And then then you know, to get another hit, and then there's a home run. I said, Okay, big deal, it's eleven to six. That's the end of the comeback. No, it wasn't the end of the comeback. Obviously, to come to score eight runs after the Braves had just scored eight runs, and then to lose that game, it was exhilarating. It was frustrating. It was crushing at the end. I mean, what were your emotions as this was going on.
Speaker 17: Yeah, you know, I was at the game with my dad and I wanted to leave, to be honest, after the eighth inning. And then said the same thing to him after the first two got on in the eighth inning for the Reds. I said, if they come back, then we might have to start looking at buying World Series tickets. If they come back and win this game, and sure enough they come back to tie it, and then it just makes the loss even harder.
Speaker 1: That was a weird game.
Speaker 17: Balls had eyes, There was just weird stuff happening. I think thirty plus combined hits, a ton of runs, There was a bunch of infield hits.
Speaker 1: There were errors.
Speaker 17: It was just a strange game and it felt like the type of game that could really give the Reds some momentum if they were to win it coming out of a trade deadline, but they didn't, and I think that left a bad taste in their mouth. Obviously, they were able to quickly recover the next day with the wind before.
Speaker 1: Coming down here.
Speaker 17: But yeah, it was just one of those weird baseball games where a bunch of stuff that doesn't normally happen happened, and it was fun to watch, but it certainly had a negative impact on the club, I think, and.
Speaker 1: Real quickly as we close out. I was not a fan of this robotic ball strike thing and being able to challenge balls and strikes for the first time, I said, you know what, it's part of the human element of the game, the umpire behind the plate. But after watching this year, I tell you what, there are some damn blind umpires behind home plate. Yeah, strikes is never the same, there's no uniformity. So I'm all in favor of it. You, Yeah, I'm right there with you.
Speaker 17: I mean, I think the word that Moe used to describe it as unintrusive, it really doesn't take away from the game. And I think major League Baseball umpiring right now is in just a terrible, terrible spot. It feels like it's as bad as it's ever been. There inconsistencies, but the data and then when you know you have abs right there at your fingertips to use, it makes it even more frustrating for a lot of fans and players to watch. So I think it will do nothing but help the game, honestly, and it will make umpires better. And again, it's not taking away from the game in any stretch. I mean, it might take eight to ten seconds to make it make sense or to make it happen. So I don't think it's a big deal at all, and I hope that it's a big part of the future of major League Baseball.
Speaker 1: Austin Elmore, thank you for talking with us this morning. Enjoy the game. Although I have a feeling I'll have a much better spot sitting in front of the television.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I thank you will too. Thank you, And by the way, very quickly, both starting pitchers tonight grew up in the state of Tennessee. The Braves have a couple of guys from the state of Tennessee. I know the state of Tennessee means a lot to you, Gary Jeff.
Speaker 1: I think it's really.
Speaker 17: Cool that baseball is coming to Tennessee and there are all those different connections within the game, so it should be a fun time.
Speaker 1: I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for having me. Thank you. Yeah. When I lived in Nashville, we were Braves fans counselor how are you hey? I'm okay, Gary Jeff, how about you?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What's on the Sunday of the Saturday midday show? You know, what did anything happen this week?
Speaker 24: I'm trying to find something to talk about. Oh, with tongue planeted firmly in chic it's going to be wall to wall what happened downtown last early morning hours?
Speaker 1: They should have been playing under the big top for that tress conference with all the clowns that were on the microphone.
Speaker 24: What did any of them say of substance, Not a damn one of them.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 24: So the whole show is going to be that we're going to have Eric Conroy, candidate for first congressional district in Congress, going to ask him about it. I'm going to ask him what the federal response could be. FLP President Ken Kober, obviously.
Speaker 1: We want to hear what he has to say.
Speaker 24: Christopher Smitheman, former vice mayor and he was the head of the Law and Public Safety Committee. And finally Steve Gooden, he's the chair of the Charter Party. And we're going to be taking calls to people want to call in.
Speaker 1: Only three cops for the entirety of downtown after three am.
Speaker 24: Well, I think they've revised that and they're saying eleven now, which is a little bit shaky, I think.
Speaker 1: Ken Carly, thank you brother, Thanks thanf travels, and happy birthday to your mother and your father. After the show show today at six twenty eight Mama Street, if you'd like to come down and tip one back. We'd love to see you run a business and not thinking about podcasting. Think again, More Americans