Speaker 1: And hello, how are you welcome to the Big Podcast on this Thursday. Today is the sixteenth day of October, year of Our Lord twenty twenty five. My name is Tom Sullivan. So yeah, we got a lot today. I want to We've got to follow up on the hostage releases that are stalled in from Hamas Russia. There's going to be a meeting between the President and Vladimir Putin, give you the details. Federal judges are busy, busy, busy telling whatever Donald Trump wants to do that he can't do it. We'll dig into some of those, the shutdown and how that's impacting people. And update on crime in Washington, DC. So let's start with the business about the hostages in Gaza. There are nine now have been released. There were four and then there was another. Well there was four, but one of them wasn't DNA showed it wasn't in a hostage. So there was four, and then three. That's seven, and then overnight there was two more. So they're up to nine that have been released, and that means nineteen dead hostages still remain to be turned over.
Speaker 2: Two of them.
Speaker 1: Two of the nineteen are Americans, one of them Omer newtraum. He literally was watching the war take place a Jewish family and he said, I'm going to go over and sign up with the IDF and fight for Israel and wound up getting captured and killed. So his father is talking today about the status of where and when his son is going to be coming home, at least in the casket.
Speaker 3: Well, it depends who you listen to, right. The IDF claims that Hamas know where they are. Hamas claims that some of them they don't know where they are, but they need equipment. Listen, we need the adult in the room. We need what we've seen so far, the American government, with the leadership of President Trump, to put full force and full influence on the mediators, whether it's Qatar or Turkey or Egypt. Put Israel and Ramas together and said, listen, guys, the nineteen hostage left. It's part of the first stages of that agreement. They need to come out. And you know the alternative. If they don't come out, this ceasefire is going to collapse, and this is gonna be horrible. We may lose our boy forever. You know, our tradition calls for a burial place for us to go and start our mourning process, and we don't have it. For over two years, We've been numerous times in Washington, in Qatar, in Tel Aviv, just saying release the hostages. Thank god, President Trump released twenty hostages alive, which was the impossible, made possible by his dedication in his leadership. But now second stage of the deal, bring out the disease sausages. As two American left the Titran and omer neutral, they need to come out. President Trump deserves it, we deserves it.
Speaker 1: So Homass is responding and they're saying, we need specialized equipment to find the rest. They're implying that there's a number of the bodies that are under the rubble and they're going to have to do the digging out to try to find them. So the question then is and why did they sign the agreement saying that they would return all forty eight hostages dead and alive when they knew that they had a problem with doing that. But that, like the father said, this puts the whole thing. It's on shaky grounds. The whole cease fire could collapse over this issue. Let's hope not, but at this point I'm not so sure. This thing is going to I don't know how much patience is going to take, not only for Israel but also all the other Arab nations that signed on to this agreement as well and said, you agreed to this, So how are they going to get the rest of them that the people at MOSS say they need specialized equipment? Russia back in the news and Ukraine and the fact that the President is going to be meeting, as we've told you, with President Zelensky tomorrow Friday, and then there is going to be a group from the US and a group from Russia that are going to get together try to hammer out some sort of agreement. And then President Putin and President Trump are going to be meeting in the near future. We don't have an exact date on a Dan Hoffman, former CIA guy, talked about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So first, it's important to emphasize that Russia continues to launch missiles and drone attacks at innocent Ukrainian civilians and Ukraine's infrastructure. President Zelenski does want those Tomahawk missiles. He'd like to strike the launch sites from which Putin is launching the missiles that are targeting Ukraine. The preamble for President Trump's discussion with President Putin. Today, Putin is on a mixture, i would say, of a charm offensive, the back channel with the First Lady, which has freed eight of twenty thousand children whom Russia has kidnapped, the decision by Russia to turn over the JFK files, the assassination files roughly three hundred and fifty page document to one of our congresswomen, and then Kmtria of the Special Envoy for Russia for Foreign Investment, also meeting with US congressman, and a charm offensive from him as well on the potential for economic opportunities, all while Putin is threatening and his senior officials threatening that for giving Ukraine tomahawks would be a dangerous move of escalation on the part of the United States. So Putin is playing his KGB game. His objective is to drag this out to the conclusion of the fighting season. Once winter sets in, it's going to be a little more difficult for both sides to strike one another. At least Ukraine Russia can still launch those missiles, but that's what Putin wants. The longer he can delay this, whether it takes another high level summit, with President Trump, he's prepared to do that.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: Like I said, that high level meeting will take place. They picked the location as Budapest, Hungary, but they haven't picked the date. So they have a location. I presume the date is going to be coming pretty quickly. But in addition to that, President Trump came out today and said that he has an agreement with Modi of India to have Modi stop buying Russian oil. Here was the president.
Speaker 6: We were not happy with him buying oil from Russia because that lets Russia continue on with this ridiculous war. I was not happy that India was buying oil, and he assured me today that they will not be buying oil from Russia.
Speaker 4: It's helpful, it's a helpful slow burn on Russia's war economy. But remember that Russia is receiving a lot of assistance from China, including military equipment that they're using for their drones. China's importing Russian oil. I think that it's got to be two tracks here. You've got to deal with Russia's economy, but you've also got to give Ukraine the means to defend themselves. I think that's a good lesson. We learned from Gaza and Israel taking the fight to their enemies and exhausting Hamas Russia's army is not exhausted, Putin sees no reason to stop. And I don't even think that President Trump's strong willed ability to cajole and influence senior interlocutors and presidents of other countries to see his view. I'm not that sanguine that it's going to happen if passed his prologue.
Speaker 5: It won't.
Speaker 1: Obviously, the bresident is trying to put together another peace deal. But a lot of the effort he does here in the US, all these various programs that he wants to do, and the pushback, whether it's ICE or whether it's National Guard, whether it's laying off federal employees. Federal judges are coming out from all angles. See all agents, all of the ICE officers involved in the Chicago immigration operations. They've been ordered that they must wear body cams. Another federal judge said that they cannot use non lethal weapons like pepper balls. Another federal judge said that, yeah, he cannot fire any of the federal employees that are sitting at home. And it forgive me, but I thought that the Supreme Court said that federal judges can't do blanket national injunctions, that they can only operate within their federal reserve district. Even Elie Hone, who hangs out on the left side of the aisle, former federal prosecutor, he's thinking that these judges are not going to be successful.
Speaker 7: Well, Penn, this judge already made clear that she had concerns about the legality of the tactics being used by ICE to police these protesters. Last week, this federal judge in the Northern District of Illinois issued in order saying that ICE is not to use non lethal projectiles like pepper balls or chemical irritants like tear gas in policing this area. Now what's happened today is the judge has said, well, I've seen media reports since then that suggests my order may not be may not be observed properly by ICE. And so now the judge is calling the parties back in and has ordered ICE agents to wear body cameras. I think the response we're going to hear from the administration. First of all, we know the administration has taken issue with some of the media images claims they're misleading or not in proper context. But I think the larger issue and response we're going to hear from the administration is this exceeds a judge's authority. A judge cannot micro manage the field operations of dozens or hundreds of ICE agents. So I think that's the argument that's going to play out in front of this judge. The judge wants to have the parties back in court within a week in order to work this out.
Speaker 8: All right, Whitney Wild Ali Janek, thanks so much, Wolf, and just.
Speaker 1: Ahead got the feeling that this particular judge that he's talking about did not get the memo on the fact that you're not in charge. You're supposed to interpret the law. But you can't say that they have to wear green shoelaces. You can't get down into the nitty gritty details of how they go about the process. If the judge thinks that all of the ICE operations are illegal, then rule that way. But the idea of saying you can't do this, you can't do that, you have to wear a body camera, you can't use these types of non lethal weapons, it's getting kind of bizarre. So there's a lot again everything that we've seen with the Trump administration. There's a lot of pushback and the federal judges I thought got slapped down by the Supreme Court. Apparently that's not the case. We're also getting news as we're recording this that there was a bill to fund the military. Since the shutdown, paychecks were supposed to go out yesterday to federal employees, including the military, and the President and others have said, oh, yes, we're going to make sure and get some funds from the Defense, from the War Department and pay the military. Well, they had a vote on that in the Senate today and it was it failed. It was an individual bill, eight hundred and fifty two billion dollar bill that the Senate Democrats block that would fund the Defense Department through September next year. It was a litmus test to see about Democrats who would vote for it, who was not. Three Democrats did go along with the Republicans. It was Senator Jean Shaheen of New Hampshire, Senator John Fetterman from Pennsylvania, and Senator Catherine Cortes Mastow of Nevada. But the bill fell ten votes short of advancing, which means that they are sticking to their guns and not going to agree unless the Republicans agree to spend the one and a half trillion dollars on Obamacare subsidies that were temporary that were put into place during COVID. So the military is not going to get a paycheck that was supposed to come out yesterday. Federal employees are not getting a paycheck. So this is where things start to get more interesting because so far there hasn't been a lot of repercussions. But now we're going to start hearing the stories about people that are hurting. They've got rent due, they've got to go buy groceries, they've got a variety of things. And the thing that really you want to get ticked off about this Congress still gets paid. Members of Congress get their paycheck. The federal employees do not.
Speaker 2: Terry does not.
Speaker 1: He says the incentive is all backwards. They should continue to pay the employees. It's not their fault. They're not the ones deciding to shut the government down. They've got jobs to do. You can debate the whole issue about the productivity of federal employees, but not their fault. The ones who caused the shutdown are still getting paid. They're the ones that should not get paid, not only now, but also never make a financial hardship for the people that are actually running the show. So last night there was a town hall I don't even know network. AOC and Bernie were the stars of the town hall and they had people asking them questions. And it really truly is AOC and Bernie are the stars of the Democrat Party. And this is a little bit from the town hall left.
Speaker 8: So it sounds like you're call on hickem Jefferies and Chuck Schumer to endorse.
Speaker 4: Think I think I believe that I do believe in endorsing the nominee, and I think it's the right thing to do.
Speaker 1: She's much nice of them. Are you speaking directly to Hickiem, Jefferies and Chuck Schumer when you deliver that message? Sure, I am. Okay, you're watching this, I don't know.
Speaker 9: Well, look, it is two things.
Speaker 1: Of course, Alexandrew's right, he's a Democratic nominee. How do you not support the Democratic? But more and boy, are we gonna support He's a great candidate. There should be the model. Yeah, that was Bernie saying that he's the Democrat talking about man Donnie that he's the Democrat nominee. Of course you're supposed to support him. Yet Karl Rope points out that Bernie Sanders is a hypocrite because of the fact that he is an independent and has run against Democrats time after time after time. Here's Carl Well, I love the hypocrisy. Bernie has run for the US House in Vermont eight times, and four times there was a Democrat. He ran every time as an independent. On four of those elections he had a Democrat opponent and he ran anyway. And then he ran for the Senate four times, always as an independent. The first time around, the Democrat party endorsed him and he accepted the endorsement. The next three times that he ran up to including last year, he ran as an independent and refused the Democratic nomination, including after he twice ran for president as a Democrat. So this is not a guy who can lecture about party loyalty. If you need to support the Democratic Party nominee, why did four times he run as an independent against the Democratic nominee in the state of Vermont. So please, Bernie, don't be a hypocrite. It really doesn't look good on you. So Mark Short, who was chief of staff to former Vice President Mike Pence, and Megan Hayes, who speaks for the Democrats. They went back and forth on this and they basically that Bernie and AOC are where all the energy is on the Democrat Party side.
Speaker 10: But I think the energy for the Democrat Party is with AOC and Bernie and Mamdani. I think that's one of President Trump's gifts is he creates a foil on the other side that attracts the most radical elements of their party. But you know, to your bigger conversations. You remember in twenty eighteen during the midterms, a lot of Democrats with campaigns saying they would not vote for Pelosi for speaker. Well, once she won twenty eighteen, they all voted for And I think it's be the same dynamic with Jeffries. It's like if he wins the midterms, then the fall in line. In the same way with Fetterman up in Pennsylvania. If they're winning, they're going to stick with what they have.
Speaker 1: Kind of surprising because Meghan Hayes speaks for the Democrats and the idea about John Fetterman, there's a bunch of Democrats that are trying to primary him. Megan Hayes weighs in on that whole everyt.
Speaker 8: It's reason why I think Democrats would be careful what they wish for. I think that there's a couple of things going on here Fetterman. I think people are very concerned about his health, and I think that it's smart to have a bench. It's smart to get these people ready to go if he chooses not to run for reelection in twenty eight, which is a long time away from now. But I also do think that we can't split this. We can't split the state. We cannot have any sort of any divisiveness in that state. We need to keep that Senate seat, and we need to win in the presidential to even have the chance of having a Democrat become president twenty eight.
Speaker 1: So back to Zora and Mondani. He was on Fox News yesterday. He was asked things like, well, what's your opinion of Hamas? And literally, this is the guy who is so anti Israel, and he says, oh, I don't have an opinion on Hamas. You know, he didn't want to answer the question. It was crazy. Some of the things he's still pushing for free buses and free grocery stores and a variety of things. Here's a little bit of that interview where he turned to the gamera and addressed a message to President Trump.
Speaker 5: I want to take this moment because you spoke about President Trump, and he may be watching right now, and I just want to speak directly to the President, which is that I I will not be a mayor like Mayor Adams, who will call you to figure out how to stay out of jail. I won't be a disgraced governor like Andrew Cuomo who will call you to ask how to win this election. I can do those things on my own.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Veez and I aron support of his candidacy for different reasons. I think it is going to be terrible for the Democratic Party to have as there as a symbol of their future the mayor of New York who says free buses and free this and free that and weird stuff on the left. This is not going to sell in Texas. It's not going to sell in most of America. In flyover country, they're not going to respond well to either AOC running for the US Senate or Mom Dami becoming mayor of New York. And let's remember all, let's talk about enthusiasm. New York has four point seven million voters, three point one million of them are Democrats. Mandabi won fifteen percent of the registered Democrats turned out and voted for him, and ten percent of New York voters voted for him in the primary season. So really, this guy has got a lot of enthusiasm. He went out of every six Democrats voted for him in the City of New York. And he's supposed to be the guy who's going to energize the Democrats for the future.
Speaker 2: Good luck with that.
Speaker 1: There's going to be a counter reaction to him as mayor of New York if he governs like he's been campaigning by promising all this free stuff and a government takeover and anti wealth and so forth. So if you don't live in New York, I know you're going to What do I care? But the idea of Democrats socialism is spreading and it's becoming more popular maybe, and that's why the tests. See how he's going to do in the Marya's race, which is coming up here in just a couple of weeks the election will be held, And the same with Bernie and same with AOC. They are where the energy of the Democrat Party is right now, and we'll see how much how many Democrats really do support them when push comes to show. Go back to Washington, d C. And the effort to wipe out crime. The President brought in troops. I think some of them are still there because it's a federal district. And the question of the day is how's that going. Because there was a case that became kind of the cause celeb A young man who worked for DOGE was beaten pretty severely and robbed not that far from the Capitol building, and the people that were involved in that were arrested. Well, it turns out where they were given probation. And this is something that you can bring in all the soldiers and troops and police and everything else. But the City Council of Washington, d C. Has passed all kinds of rules and the judges are very soft on crime. Until you get some people that are willing to enforce the laws, crime will continue. Jim Trusty, former prosecutor, federal prosecutor. Yeah, he talks about this.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Well, just remember Mark Twain said, there's lies day analyzed and statistics, so you can look at things like the DC murder rate and say it's way up or way down, depending on exactly where you use your starting point. That's part of the mischief of the politicians interpreting these numbers. But look, the FBI, that's a legitimate victory lap. The FBI has really changed course to emphasize heavily violent crime. They've had for years these task forces called Safe Streets or Safe Trails, task forces that team up with other FEDS and locals to go after violent crime. That's always been fairly successful. More maybe a modest effort to spread out into violent crime by the FBI, but the task force approach is obviously on steroids right now. And that's with or without the National Guard component.
Speaker 1: You can have an.
Speaker 11: Influx of federal agencies that are real force multipliers that work with the locals who know the players, that bring different tools from DEA, from ICE, from FBI to have very successful results. I live that as the Chief Organized Crime and Gangs for seven years. That was by far the best model for going after the worst of the worst gang is teaming up all those resources and using the locals who really know the streets and know the players.
Speaker 2: So it's a you know, there's always room.
Speaker 11: To question the stats, but it's a pretty legitimate victory lap and you look at the overall numbers. Yeah, Look, I think there's a big disconnect between the political figures, and when we talk about like police agreeing with the political figures, they kind of have to. Those are their bosses. You know, if you're the superintendent of the state police or if you're the City of Police City of Portland police commissioner, you're answerable to that mayor. So there's a lot of high level political claims that we don't need any help, everything's fine. But I think when you really talk about violent crime, you know, particularly gangs, they infect the neighborhoods where they live more than anywhere else. There's a lot of I think quiet support, quiet relief when you have that deterrent effect of National guardsmen or just more cops on the streets showing up in the neighborhoods that actually feel the consequences of violent crime. So, yeah, there's a political class as one thing, but I'm not sure it's the same.
Speaker 1: What I've been talking about is that police departments. There are police departments, and there are sheriff's departments, and the sheriffs generally almost everywhere, maybe it's one hundred percent. They are elected by the people, so they answered to the voters. They answer to their constituents. Police chiefs they are appointed by mayors, so they are political appointees and they have to do and salute whatever the mayor has to say. And if you've got a big, soft on crime mayor, you're going to get a soft on crime police department. Janein Piro, who is the US attorney for DC, this goes back a couple of weeks some must I don't have the exact date on her, but she was all frustrated because of the fact that again the city council and the judges are not holding these youthful offenders that beat the tar out of this guy, not holding them to any sort of repercussion. The people that beat this kid got probated. You're Jeanine Piro.
Speaker 9: Young criminals in d C have been emboldened to commit crimes because they believe that they're not accountable. And why do they believe that? Because they are not accountable. We've got a DC a counsel that has passed laws that make it almost impossible for me, as both federal prosecutor and kind of quasi local prosecutor to be able to incarcerate these kids. If you shoot someone with a gun in DC and you're up to nineteen years of age, I can't even indicte you.
Speaker 1: It brings me back to again. You can send in all the National Guard, you can send in all the police that you want to do, but you need the judges to also be tough on crime.
Speaker 11: Back to Jim Trust, Well, she's actually pretty spot on in terms of the system.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 11: Juvenile court. The whole concept is kind of a noble one. It started, believe it or not, around nineteen hundred in Chicago, of all places. But the idea is young offenders are more accepting the possibility of rehabilitation. If we don't just throw them in prison, if we try to keep them from becoming adult offenders, we can have some success. That's a great idea, and there are services that you can render that will deter some young offenders from going down that path. The problem in DC is a couple of things. The DC Superior Court is notoriously soft on everybody. When you add in the juvenile court emphasis on rehabilitation, these guys get multiple free passes. You have a horribly violent event, like a good Samaritan being beaten senseless by a mob of twelve or thirteen people doing a carjacking, and they get nine months probation. And the problem is if they come back or if they violate that probation, they're not going to get much more. So you have to come up with a system that either allows for waiver to adult court more freely, or at least has more regular, sustained consequences, including detention for people that are doing violent crime at young ages. And believe me, the gangs know the young guys don't get punished. That's why they make them do the worst stuff. I'll give you another one. This is a little bit different topic, but I saw this come across last night that the City of Los Angeles, I'm sorry, the County of Los Angeles, the officials there, voted yesterday to declare a state of emergency, and I thought, oh, what's the state of emergency. About the state of emergency is that they're going to provide money for residents that say that they have suffered financially from ongoing federal immigration raids. LA County Board of Supervisors voted to allow rent relief for tenants who have fallen behind as a result of a crackdown on immigration. And I don't know. I'm trying to figure out now, how does the crackdown on illegals in your city affect your ability to pay rent unless the breadwinner for your home or your apartment happens to be illegal and is now gone. That's the only thing I can think of. So they're going to give taxpayer money to pay have people pay their rent that our families of illegals is the best that I can get from all of that.
Speaker 1: It's kind of crazy out there. One more for you. The Supreme Court yesterday had a hearing on the Voting Right Act, the Voting Rights Act that was passed in back in the nineteen sixties, I think nineteen sixty five. Lyndon Johnson was the president. He signed it into law, the Civil Rights Act, and then the Voting Rights Act came along. The Voting Rights Act was to basically make it so that Southern states who had drawn redistrict team lines to make sure that blacks did not have any voting power, even if they would allow them to register to vote, which was a thing back then. That's not the same today. And so the question is is the Voting Rights Act still applicable that the federal government gets to say how redistricting lot lines are drawn for various states that don't look anything like the populations that they had in nineteen sixty five. It's a little bit of the hearing yesterday with the Justice Kavanaugh talking to the people that were in front of the bit.
Speaker 2: This Court's cases in a variety of contacts have said that race based remedies are permissible for a period of time, sometimes for a long period of time decades in some cases, but that they should not be indefinite and should have an endpoint.
Speaker 1: Here's John You weighing in on this case before the Supreme Court.
Speaker 12: I think he is right. I think you can see that this view is motivating the sixth Conservative justices the Court. Here's the basic issue. The Constitution bans the government from ever using race it caused. It wants all of us to treat each other the same, regardless of our skin, collar, race, national origin, religion, and so on. We allow deviations from that core principle to just make up for past sins, for the government's use of race and segregation in the South, for so many years, or for slavery before that, And what just Kavanaugh is asking is when does that end. It's sixty years later now, since the Voting Rights Act of nineteen sixty five. It's been sixty years since the government has forced states to try to use race to create these what are called majority minority districts to increase the number of minorities who actually get elected to Congress. But that's got to come to an end. It's not going to be and it shouldn't be under the Constitution ever permanent. And the Court's been making that clear in other areas, like the Harvard case where it said no more use of race and college. I think that campaign for a color blind constitution will continue here and the Court will say no more use of race when states draw congressional districts either. I am sure the Justices when they decide this case don't care and won't look at what the effects on the midterm maps may be. Now, what's been going on note is that these states, in order to create these majority minority districts, have done what's called crack and pac They've packed minority voters into tight districts on the assumption they'll vote for a black or Hispanic or even Asian candidate, which I think, by the way, is offensive because it assumes that people of one race will vote for people of the same race when they vote for office. What will happen, I think if this practice ends, is that there will be more minorities spread out into more districts. That might make more districts competitive in the long run between Republicans and Democrats, even though in the short run it might lead to less Democrats in the House. I think is the pernicious view of the Voting Rights Act and the fifteenth Amendment that this cause has adopted is the idea that because I have a skin color or you have a skin color, you think you're only represented by people who look like you. What if you want to be represented by people who share your interests instead. Suppose I want to vote for someone as my view on tax policy or foreign affairs or Israel, Why does race and skin color have anything to do with your view or my view on policy issues are? And I think that's what the court wants to end. The Court wants to end the practice of the government assuming that you and I have certain views and think a certain way just because of our skin color.
Speaker 1: So that's a hot button Supreme Court case that they heard yesterday, and of course we won't know what their decision is until late May or June of next year. Wall Streek today selling off again. A lot of nervousness about are we in a bubble market? Today fell three, the Dow fell three hundred and one down to forty five thousand, nine to fifty two, SMP down forty two, Nazdack down one hundred and seven. Wow, look at gold up one. I've never seen this. One hundred and forty two dollars announce up one hundred and forty two to four thousand, three hundred and forty four. Price of oil. Fellow dollar, it's all the way down now to fifty seven dollars for a barrel of oil. So thank you for coming by today. That's it for this Thursday. We will try this again tomorrow. I hope to see them