Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Deep Blue Sea the Podcast. I am Mark. I'm pretty sure Carter is happy that Scoggins is dead halfmer.
Speaker 2: And I am Jay keyboard throw in his face, CLU, welcome you your board DPC the podcast. On this show, we've been to the entire Deep Blue Sea trilogy, scene by scene, and we're going again with allny wonderful guests. And this is deep You see one, chapter twenty four. What happens in Deep See one, chapter twenty four. Let's have a listen. In the flooded wet lab, Carter and Scoggin swim down. Carter throws an errant keyboard at Scoggins. They haul a large piece of equipment out of the way of the access pat h Scoggins turns a couple of levers and gives Carter a thumbs up. Carter applies with the okay symbol, then points up to the ceiling of the room for looking concerned at something behind Scoggins. The shark appears and wipes Scoggins out, smashing him into the sparking axis panel and destroying his body, leaving only a pair of legs. While still kicking, Carter swims to a small air pocket and takes a breath. He dies back down and heads for a doory, desperately setting the handle as the shot nashes got to get the door open and pulls out into the previously dry corridor, leaving the shot behind him. That was deep see one, chapter twenty four. Not a lot of dialogue in that chapter has made me describing it as you will get more of in the episode. We need a guest to help us talk about it. Mark, who's joining us today?
Speaker 1: Okay? So joining us an entertainment attorney, a novelist, a college professor, a journalist, a professional splunker, a documentary filmmaker, and a fellow fellow Georgia Bays film critic. It's Jonathan Hickman. Thank you for joining us.
Speaker 3: Thanks, thanks, that's quite a mouthful. I appreciate you. You know, altogether, what I do is one actual full time job if you combine everything to together, you know.
Speaker 1: And I threw in professional splunker in there because I just it just felt right. And I feel like you've at least explored a couple of caves in your life.
Speaker 3: I have. I have, absolutely, Yeah. I try to stay out of them as much as possible. I'll tell you that movie The Rescue You Never Never want to go into a Cave?
Speaker 1: Was that the one that made into Thirteen Lives?
Speaker 3: He did when he did Thirteen Live that the original of the Rescue documentary was I think more more harrowing than than the Ron Howard film. Although the Ron Howard film was fine, it was fine, we.
Speaker 1: Stay out of the Descent.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I was at Sundance when that one dropped. Man, that was something. And it's too bad that director has never made a great movie since.
Speaker 1: He kicked it off with Dog Soldiers The Descent and I was like, this guy, this is my favorite human ever. And then he made dooms Day, and I like, I like, I love Doomsday. But then I watch it, I'm like, but then I like a week goes mon, I'm like, I love Doomsday, and then I'll watch it again. I'll be like, so I have a very odd relationship with.
Speaker 3: It's a very derivative. Yeah, you know, post apocalyptic kind of thing that uh, you know, probably did pretty well in the video market at the time because of the movie poster or the movie box as you you know that that you know that that was all that they needed to sell it. And is Vinnie is Vinnie Jones in that one. Who's in that one?
Speaker 4: I mean, it's it's the.
Speaker 2: It's the cinema.
Speaker 4: That's the only one.
Speaker 1: Wo I know. And then what the main crawler from the Descent is in it? Okay, and the kid Monarch of the Glen.
Speaker 3: As well, Glenn Malcolm McDowell. That's right, you know.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, Yeah, Adrian Lesta and you were saying that the that that movie Doomsday, you pick it up because of the cover. This is really random, but I feel like Predator Badlands is one of those movies like that. You Jay hasn't seen it yet, but like, I feel like it felt like one of those movies where you would be a Blockbuster or the equivalent and see the box and go I'm gonna watch that and then just fall in love with it Predator.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it works that way anymore, Yea, but yeah, I mean I I felt like it. Obviously, now you're just doom scrolling across whatever platform you're on, and all the movie boxes are deceptive. Uh. You know, back in back in the eighties when I worked in a video store, the movie boxes really sold the movie and there was no rules, you know, there was a movie called Rotor, for example, which was a knockoff of RoboCop okay, and so I thought, oh, this is going to be great. And I was the assistant manager there, so I got to watch every movie when it came in, pop it in and it was awful, awful, awful, And you know, people ask you, though, is this worth renting? And you got to be honest with them, Well, I don't know. I mean, it just depends on what you really want that evening. You know, if you want schlock, then probably it is. But you know, I think Predator bad Lands is terrific. I mean I was so taken with it. I gave it an eight, which is part of it has to do with the fact that it is a franchise extension unit that does the crossover, right. I mean, we've had six Predator films, right, and you know, we had two spin offs and they were awful because those two things tried to meld Alien and Predator together so ineffectively. It was just dim witted awfulness, and you.
Speaker 1: Know, and it was very dim to look at the lighting was it was.
Speaker 3: It was well, it was really little budget. Both those films didn't have a budget. But what is it? What's the new director that's directed Tractor Tracting? You know, he got proper budgets for those, and the movies look great and and the narratives actually are coherent, you know, so I like that. You're right.
Speaker 1: Guess what happens when you give Renny Harlan, Dan Trachtenberg directors enough money Russell McKay, Yeah, like enough money to make a creature feature and like, do it right? You hired talented people, and guess what you get this? You get deep Rising, you get Ben Wheat.
Speaker 3: Oh I'm sorry, Ben whe Oh.
Speaker 1: No, he had two hundred million for that one. Ye oh yeah, you know prawl for twelve million, like give him forty, Like, well, what do you do is forty?
Speaker 3: He was the guy who did Predators at tal Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, the Predators isn't bad. I mean, the actual six Predator films are not bad. There's not a real bad film. Even though I saw Predators Predator too in the theater in Macon, Georgia when I was in college there, and I was underwhelmed, you know, But now that I look back at it, I thought, well, it's actually not a terrible movie.
Speaker 1: You know what what sucks about it's very sweaty, sweaty Glover's the best. That final fight is incredible and it is good. It's like, but the problem is you come after Alien Predator a new like just and you're not a Jurassic Park and you're good but not as good. People are like, yeah, it sucks. No, it's like it's it's good, it's just not Predator, Like you can't you can't do Predator again, Like you're not. We're not going to match that. Like what they had there, they didn't even know what they were making. They had a weird alien suit. They went to a place with no foliage, like that production was messed up, Like they all came out of the jungle with a good movie. So it like they're not going to recreate that.
Speaker 2: It's what we see with DVC when people said, oh, you know it's no Jewels, Yes, sure of course it's not.
Speaker 1: Well that's what is yeah, like what is Jaws?
Speaker 3: Jaws is not a movie about a shark, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just yeah, people have said that though, like it's no Jaws, Like yeah, but what is what is? What is good?
Speaker 3: As?
Speaker 1: What is?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: But I digress.
Speaker 3: So my wife and I were very fortunate. We went to Chattanooga and stayed in the Chattanooga Chuo Choo Hotel in one of their little uh cars there, which is really nice. They've redone them. And then we went to see Jaws at their their museum there. They have a they have a big aquarium and they have like an excellent old school Imax, you know Imax where it's really steep, and they showed us I'm sure it's Limax, but they showed us Jaws on their Imax screen and it was just amazing. It was an amazing night. I had this big steak, I got a couple of whiskeys, wind saw Jaws. It was wonderful. But that's not a movie about a shark about something. It does have a shark in the shark's character.
Speaker 1: This is a prison break movie with shark like it's basically not shocking redemption or anything. Yeah, deep Blue c but it's it's it's a it's a prison escape film with sharks trying to get out. And I love that and and also too, I want you to shut out. I've known I've known Jonathan. I've known you since maybe twenty twenty one, twenty Yeah, you're one of my first critic friends, I think when I started going to the film so I appreciate that. And I wrote a blurb for you for The Newman Newton Times.
Speaker 3: Harold several quotes in the piece we did piece let me find It. I had it pulled up about five shark movies. That's right, you recommended five movies. Blue Water, White Death, Jaws, Deep Bluesy of course, Mega Shark Versus Giant Octopus, and the Shallows. Those were your top five, at least a list. I don't know if they were a top five, but they were a list. And we were talking about Ben Wheatley's Meg two and the failure that it was. And we had a writer who had written for I believe the Asylum. He wrote. His name was h Perry Wharton and I can't I don't know where he is. I only talked to him through Twitter and he's not on X or Twitter anymore. But he wrote Two Headed Shark Attack, and he wrote Shark Week, and he wrote a couple other shark films. I believe there are Asylum pictures, got it.
Speaker 1: I wish I would have been.
Speaker 3: Sharks and Sweden, Yeah, that.
Speaker 1: Sharkson Sweden, Venice. Yeah, I made him a fake movie with Dolph Lungren that has become real in my head. But yeah, Sharks and Venice was Stephen Baldwin. That's one about that.
Speaker 3: I don't know about Baldwin, but I think it would be good to have Dolph in it. Did you see Showdown at the Grand? Whatever at the Grand with Lungren? And uh, who's the other actor? The guy from he was the first Gosh. But anyway, it's a good showdown at the Grand. I think it's called Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you told me about that?
Speaker 3: I really good question. I mean it's really good. It's not it's not awesome action, but it's really practical action effects. And Dolph is great in that. He plays an action hero who who is an actor? Of course? Who is who's in these movies? And then the Grand is attacked and they have to he has to spring into action as an action hero.
Speaker 1: Well, so it's a showdown at the Grand.
Speaker 3: I just have yeah, wait, Terrence Howard's yeah, it's he's the star of it. And then and then Dolph is his co.
Speaker 1: Star long hair Dolph.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he looks great in it. I mean it's a really solid picture. I wouldn't call it awesome, but it's solid.
Speaker 1: I mean, on the context, it's probably a really awesome direct to streaming film. I think there are Yeah, okay, I like that. So John back in ninety nine, Yeah, like, what's your history with d Blue Seat?
Speaker 3: I saw it in the theater. Yeah, I saw in the theater. Yeah, I was taken with it. I was writing at that time for a website called iansiders dot com, so I probably went to a press screening of it, but I cannot remember exactly if I did. And Deep Lucy was a was a surprise. It was a pleasant surprise. Uh. Saffron Burroughs was a lovely five foot eleven inch star who was great, and there was that amazing scene where Samuel Jackson uh gets it and uh, you know, and everyone liked Thomas Jane, so you know it was it was a really solid cast. Michael Rapaport before people hated him and you.
Speaker 4: Know he doesn't make it.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, I mean yeah, Hello cool J. That's right, not ice Cube, Hello cool J.
Speaker 1: For a ninety nine cast to have like Saffron Burros stellan Scars guard, Thomas Jane was like a Terrence Malick, Paul Paul W. Paul Yeah, Pta, not Paul w you could have been him, right, but Pta guy.
Speaker 3: I mean it was Booie Knights.
Speaker 1: Bringing an ll cool j. It's off of like Halloween h two Woe and just he had a it's a really interesting Jacqueline Mackenzie is an Australian actor, like just bringing in Tony Soprano's sister. It was just a very Yeah, it was an interesting once adult cast right like it wasn't you know. I think at the time, there's a lot of team stuff. You know, Dawson's Creek, She's all that scream like. I think a lot of horror films are really skewing towards the teen audience, and the teen shows were blowing up, like Varsity Blue and ninety nine had a big teen presence. But then there's this very r rated just like Creature Feature by Rennie Harlan was Samuel Jackson and it kind of I don't know. I was working in a theater when it came out, and it absolutely blew me away because it's just one of my favorite movies. I just remember everyone cheering and clapping, but I think everyone was cheering and clapping because there's no expectations, like because Rennie Harlan wasn't hot, like he was coming off of Long Kiss, good Night Rules, but it didn't do too well. Cut Rhode Island kind of helped bankrupt a studio and was considered to be an all time flop. And so you have this Renny Harlan, you have a giant Shark movie. They didn't go too hard on the on the marketing of it from what I remember, and I think people are just expecting something cheesy, but then it's actually just really good and so I love that. I don't know if you had that like that feeling or like if that.
Speaker 3: Hit you, well, you know, I was reviewed. I'd been reviewing movies for about two years then, and our website was pretty po popular. It is no more Ian Sider's. Eventually the domain was sold, but it was like mister Showbiz or any of these upstart entertainment websites that were news related that just couldn't figure out how to monetize the content. And all of the eyeballs we were getting, you know, it was really popular, and we would get invites to screenings, we would go to festivals, do an occasional junket, and I didn't do a junket for Deep Lucy. I did later on at Sundance interview Saffron Burrows for a movie she did with Robert Redford's daughter. It was called The Guitar. It was a nice drama, very very finely made, and Burrows is every bit of five eleven. Yeah. I remember she told my producer, because I was on a TV show. She goes, Oh, I just want to take Jonathan and put him in my pocket and take him with me. And I was like, oh geez, I remember my producer would would say that every now and then you realize you just need to be foldable and somebody can put it, put you in their pocket and take you away with them. It's like, oh wow, well that's that's a I think that's a compliment.
Speaker 1: Give me a minute, let me figure that out. Just yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I'm like, what you know? So? But you know, I think I think that the movie, uh is like all shark movies. It taps into our fear of what's down there, what's underneath us? You know. I guess the continents float on the water. I don't know, but uh, you know, the whole idea that you go out in this recent movie Dangerous Animals. The whole idea of their animals, they have instincts, and their instincts are to feed on whatever is available, whether it's a man or something else. And so you know, when you see any shark movie, like a Deep Blue Sy, you instantly have that chill up your spine. The unique thing about Deep Blue Cy is that these are sharks that can swim backwards. These are sharks that are smart. Conceivably they have been given whatever it is that they're they're studying, and that adds another layer of ferocity and fear. And I think that was a unique thing. I hadn't seen that before. Had there been a movie that had made sharks smart. I don't ever remember a shark swimming backwards.
Speaker 2: No, that's definitely unique to this one making sharks smart.
Speaker 1: I Revenge the Shark had a psychic link and set traps.
Speaker 4: But it.
Speaker 3: To be forgotten.
Speaker 2: Shark attacking the same year and had a similar scientists experimenting on shocks to try and cure a different, different disease.
Speaker 3: And that was that was an asylum release.
Speaker 4: I it was.
Speaker 2: It was it was straight to straight to TV, but it came out like a month before Deeps. It just happened to just one of those things. They came out at the same time. But I think in terms of big streamen so this was the only one. The first ones.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, Asylum, they had a habit of releasing a picture, uh in advance of a similar picture, and they ended up getting in trouble with their Hobbits film and they had to they had to do so. I don't even know if that was ever released, but they got sued over that one. But you know, generally, their shark movies stand on their own. I mean, as I understand it, one of the Asylum shark movies really laid the groundwork for what became Shark Nato and those other films.
Speaker 1: Make sure it was because it was the trailer and it got over a million views on AOL or Yahoo before all. That was big and it had the shark jumping out of the air and taking out the airplane and that became just a massive thing. That was big, and that that trailer blew up and got it like all the news covered it because it's like, oh, this trailer you gotta watch on AOL or Yahoo and it just exploded.
Speaker 3: Just think if they had Sora or one of the Ais to actually create a shark jumping out of the water to get on to grab if they had had proper effects back then. You know, I'm not an advocate of the Ais taking out all of our gifted artisans. But the one thing when I watched the clip of Deep Blue cy with Rapaport getting it, the one thing I can say is that the effects do look a little dated at this point.
Speaker 2: I'd say that's the CGI shots not great. Whenever there's a lot of practical sharks in the film, and we love gorgeous and we always highlight when there's practical practical sharks because they look great still, but yeah, the CGI is the one thing that, Yeah, it's the one negative we ever throw at the film.
Speaker 1: There's a couple of things I've noticed about this chapter that we I don't think we've ever talked about Jay they didn't have to move everything to turn those knobs. Have we talked about that before?
Speaker 4: We haven't.
Speaker 2: We talked before about how Carter gets Scuggins down to help and then Carter kind.
Speaker 4: Of does all of the work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, which because because Scuggin's lesson, he's trying he's he's pulling something underwater without like leavering his legs against anything, so he is doing nothing. Just if you, if you have like a deep pool and a heavy bit of equipment, throw it in there, try and pull it.
Speaker 4: Just try and just try and pull it.
Speaker 1: Just it's not.
Speaker 4: Gonna move, it's not gonna it's not gonna do anything.
Speaker 2: Whereas Carter has got his back and his legs against something else and he's pushing.
Speaker 4: So Carter's doing everything. But you're right, he doesn't need to move it.
Speaker 2: He can Scoggins can easily access those switches two knobs.
Speaker 1: And also, you know what I love too, is like the shark, the shark has two options to kill people, either Scoggins or Carter, and the shark chooses Scoggins because it's the right idea. But I I kind of love that the shark just plays Carter so hard in this scene to open up that door, and it's done it twice to him to get him to open doors, and Carter never gets it. But I guess you wouldn't understand that a super smart shark is hurting you to flood a facility. But I love that the shark.
Speaker 3: Just missing.
Speaker 2: My theory is to why Skogan's dies is it's revenge for Preacher. I think Preacher in the previous scene has killed one of the other sharks. We have to we have to assume off screen Preacher and the other the other members of the crew have just met up, so they've discussed it, and Preacher has been like, hey, I got one of those sharks in the kitchen. The other sharks looked through a window or something, did the whole liperting thing that they can do. And we're like, wait, this guy killed my dad or the shock killed and then they see Preacher and Scuggins have that little hug and they're like, Preacher kiss for Scuggins.
Speaker 4: Scoggin's days are numbered.
Speaker 3: And so you guys believe that not only are the sharks smarter than your average you know, great white swimming killing eating beast, but that they actually have a form of communication that allows them to coordinate their efforts. Is a selective.
Speaker 4: Kills yeah, because this is the whole plan.
Speaker 1: When Saffron is attack later, that shark's waiting for her in that room and it waits till she gets to the locker and opens up the thing to get the research that they want to destroy and then it attacks. It's just waiting, it's sitting there. So these sharks had to check. They just they had to talk. And then the other sharks. It's a coordinated attack to take out all the cameras. So the sharks take out all the cameras together.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, this is this is.
Speaker 1: Some next level. This is like the brain serum they got was like limitless juice that Bradley Cooper got in limitless. And then they're they're planning this time. They're so smart. They take out the cameras. They you know, you know, so they want to kill Scoggins. But also if they killed Carter, I don't think Scoggins would think to open that other door. I think Scoggins would just die.
Speaker 4: It just gives up Apley and just kind of waits, yeah, and then.
Speaker 1: The shark would just be like the shark would probably grab him by his foot and drag him and circles until and then let him go by the door. So's like open this he is Michael. So the Shark's like, come Onscoggins, come on, wrap report, open the door. And I don't think Scoggins would I think he knows that Carter knows it's smart enough to go somewhere else, and he plays that against him.
Speaker 3: I don't know the extent of Rapaport's cancelation and basis for it, but uh, but I think he's gotten a bad rap. I always liked him. I I like him in almost every.
Speaker 1: Movie you metro. You know what was the one?
Speaker 3: What was the one he did with Spike Lee?
Speaker 1: Did he do?
Speaker 3: Did he Was it Jungle Fever or one of those? I can't remember. I bamboozled, That's probably it. But I wonder if what they did was in the sequels that they didn't understand in the sequels to Deep Blue, see the depth of the intellect that these sharks were given. And the movies got more and more dim witted, didn't they make? They made what two sequels or more?
Speaker 1: Two?
Speaker 4: They made?
Speaker 2: They made two. I'm going to disagree and get more dim witted because three is actually very good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, three good reputation. I saw two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was to his fun. I really did. When we started the show, John Than, I was like, I am never talking about De Blue C. Two. And then I watched it again and then we covered it week by week, and I just fell in love with it because it's it's crazy. There's characters called doctor Misty Calhoun. There's a guy called Trent Slater Trent. There's there's baby, there's joy swims, There's there's like many munchy things that bite people in half. It's it's one of the silliest. Michael Beach is taking limitless juice from bull sharks so he can he wants to get He wants to prevent an AI robot apocalypse by making bull sharks smarter.
Speaker 4: Ye direct connection.
Speaker 3: Well, that's that's such a labored, a labored, convoluted perversion of what we what what we have in Deep Blue c which is essentially a Shark Chase film. Okay, that is sort of the context. Is the idea that that a billionaire has decided he's going to make shark smarter to be Alzheimer's. Isn't that really what this is about?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean yeah, So Saffron Burrows wants to do it. She works for Kaimera, who Ronnie Cox is in this movie and has no lines. He was originally supposed to be the leader, but then they hired Sam Jackson last minute and then gave took away all Ronnie Cox's lines, this is what we're guessing, and he gave it all to Samuel Jackson. So that's why Ronnie Cox says nothing.
Speaker 3: And I think DoD bless Ronnie Cox. Ro Copp will always I.
Speaker 1: Was supposed to do a Rotten Tomatoes is Wrong podcast ups about dbouf c, but I got pushed for Saffron Burrows. Makes sense. She's a much bigger grap, much better grap. I was like to Mark, I'm so sorry. I'm like, YO, talk to her, but I had a question. So I was like, what's up with saf Like what's up with Ronnie Cox? And She's like, oh, the dialogue got changed. Feel like a lot of people had scenes because Samuel Jackson got switched in it. But yeah, like they want to cure Alzheimer's, which has been done in Rise of the Planet of the Apes. They kind of mimic that, and then True Classic World is pretty much deep like Deep Blue Sea is Jurassic Park, and then Jurassic World is Deep Blue Sea, which I kind of love. But they, yeah, they want secure Alzheimer's. They explain it really well, then things go wrong and listen it's and then they just want to escape and they explain the entire escape to you with maps. You know where you're at. Yeah, and it's proof though that simple is not always easy, you know. You think about Predator, they're running from an alien gott to get to the chopper alien. They have a thing on board Aliens. They got to get to a certain place before it explodes. You you, there's so many ways to like go wrong with creature features, and it's muddling the plot. I think Deep Blue Ce excels because it's so easy to understand. There's no secondary antagonists. We've talked about this a lot. Saffron isn't bad. No one else turns bad. It's just the sharks and they're not even that bad.
Speaker 3: Like Thomas Jane and Saffron. Saffron sacrificing herself. Yeah, and so you know, it's interesting you should talk about. One of the problems with the remake of The Running Man is that they try to they follow the original book very very clearly, but it's so convoluted because the narrative keeps shifting and you get new characters and so forth that don't make a whole lot of sense. The original Running Man is very simple. It is a chase narrative, much like Deep Lucy becomes a chase narrative through the corridors of this facility, in and out of the water. You know, you're hoping that the helicopter will arrive, and when it does, it doesn't save you. So there's all this, you know, there's all this. The chase narrative never gets old. And if done right, and you have to keep the tension on, if you stop and you divert to some other thing, then you kill the momentum of the narrative, which in the Running Man sequel they do clearly. I mean, the whole thing just drives to a w It's just more than once. And in Deep Blue c they have a goal. They're trying to survive and they're moving from place to place. It's a contained bit of horror thriller, which even though it's a large facility, it's still contained within that facility. Even though the ocean is vast, it shrinks the ocean down to this one little place. And that's that's genius, because that knows what it is and knows what it needs to do.
Speaker 1: Now you're one hundred percent correct. And while you were talking about that, you know, I was thinking about the New Running Man where every new character. You're right, it does stop stop stop, stop stop, cut up into parts also Thirty Days a Night. It's a movie that I think is beautiful to look at, and it starts strong and ends really well, but the middle grinds to a halt because they're just sitting in a like a they just sit there and then they kind of around for a couple of days and then it kills all the momentum. So right, as much as I adore the movie and I think it looks gorgeous and I bought it and I've covered it on the movie Sill the Flicks podcast, it does grind to a halt. So it's like, but what I.
Speaker 3: Guess love that I'm trying to take the producer. I spent some time with the producer of that film on a movie called Hard Candy, I think the one. Yeah, and because I did the Q and A when they all came to Atlanta, and that was with Elliott Page, right, yeah, Ellen Page at the time Elliott now of course, and the difference was stark, the contained bit of tension that they were able to generate in that Hard Candy. They sort of left it in a bigger narrative with the night film, the vampire film. So you know, I get exactly what you're saying. And that's the thing. Pacing is everything. And the one thing about Deep Blue c is that, even though they have different scenes, as you guys have broken it down, the pace is constantly ratcheting up. There's constant tension, and you can excuse bad special effects, even bad visuals, as long as you still have have the human tension and the quest for survival. And that's what they're doing. And you see it in the scene you have here. Because the scary part isn't Rapaport getting cut into. The scary part is when Carter looks over was it Hodges is his name?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: The scoggins Scoggin's shoulder, and that shark is coming at him. You know, that's that's the aha jump scare a moment if there is a jump scare, but that is where the chill goes down your spine. Once he gets bit in half, it's just oh, well, that's you know, okay. And then the little foot thing. You know, I guess this muscle there's muscle memory, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, last time we talked about this, I did try and work out whether it's as possible or not. And I found out that in frogs, if you put salt on a dead frog's legs, they will twitch. And that's so Scoggin's his path frog.
Speaker 4: That was what I was the hypothesis Frankenstein.
Speaker 3: Have you seen Amo del Toro's Frankenstein, You know all that stuff where he's reanimating old body parts using electricity. I obviously that's a that's the thing of fantasy. But you know, uh, I mean, if you've ever I mean, if you've ever gone frog gigging all of that, you certainly know how that is. But anyway, he's.
Speaker 1: A frog man in the water. And also he just hit a bunch of electricity, so yeah, salt electrical currents.
Speaker 2: I think I don't think people give this this kill enough credit because whenever we talk about the deaths and DBC talk about Sam Jackson getting killed, Stephen Sky's God is one of our favorites because it's I've drawn out. Janis on the Ladders is so horrific. Skugin's death is brutal. That does show absolutely destroys him. It doesn't eat pretty much, but it shreds every bit of him.
Speaker 3: About practical well, it is a combination of practical effects. I assume I assume that a dummy body that they are using there, or do you think it's all c g I? Do you think it's all Do you.
Speaker 1: Think it had to be c g I because they couldn't get any real blood into the water because it would have they would have had to have drained the tanks and that's there was a water water shortage.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, then the blood is the blood is uh is c g I? But is the body parts of him c g I? Because I thought that looked pretty convinsing.
Speaker 1: Oh that looked great, Yeah, commentary multiple times. I don't remember that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just looking at it now and it looks hard to tell. Some bits are definitely c g I, some bits could be.
Speaker 3: Look, did you guys ever? I listened to How Did This Get Made? Podcasts recently and they did a thing on John Carpenter's Gohoes of Bars and they talked about how Pam Greer they didn't build a fake Pam Greer head to put on a pike. They actually they made they made her. They put her on a pike somehow, but it was really uncomfortable. And yet the rest of the heads were made for the scene. They weren't real bodies, so, uh, you know, I don't know, maybe that's maybe maybe that's Rapaport. And then they c gied him in two. I maybe that's Rapaport doing the kick, you.
Speaker 4: Know, maybe maybe doubtful.
Speaker 1: But I finally noticed something too when they start this scene, I think Scoggins gives a thumbs up and then Carter gives an okay symbol, and then Carter gives an okay symbol with his hands. But then I noticed that Skaggin's does a wink. They went back three times in that little scene, and I kind of loved it. Did you see Scoggin's wink?
Speaker 4: I haven't. I haven't seen the wink.
Speaker 1: I kind of wanted Carter to come back with like a hang ten. And then they just keep going for like five minutes under the water with different hand motions.
Speaker 3: So this movie is is from a different time where actors would do things like get in the water with equipment and stuff that they might not actually do today. And so as an entertainment attorney, I'm a production legal attorney, it would surprise me. I don't even know how we would draft in agreement. We've done some films for I think we did one in one for two B where people got in the water. But water is something where the insurance is really really high. If you put actors in water, that's something that's really big. So you can imagine that while the budget of this one, what was the budget oft dep Lucy.
Speaker 1: It's sixty million to eighty million.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, so they had good money back then, certainly in those terms, but I can imagine the insurance premium was pretty high for this because of the all the water stuff. And did they film it in a big tank? It was what kind of tanks?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then sunk them in. It's like they built us at on top and then they lowered it into the tank.
Speaker 3: Understood. So the actors were actually getting down in with the sets in the water, sometimes being underwater. That's really I mean, that's a that's a liability nightmare. And the contracts were probably very intricate from that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: I can imagine the scene where they go to the helicopter and back with Jim on the on the gurney. The waves they were real waves, they were throwing at the coast and they hit them accidentally he took out a bunch of the casts, like, oh, they kept in the film that takes where they were get knocked over. They weren't supposed to do, but they kept it in Radny Hallens a math man.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, totally. Now now it's Renny Harlan making movies in in China.
Speaker 1: So he did that from twenty eight fifteen to twenty sixteen something like that. He made. Uh, then he went to the Emirates made a movie, correct, and then he went to Bulgaria to make The Three Strangers Bulgaria.
Speaker 4: I think it was Bulgaria.
Speaker 1: To make the Three Strangers movies.
Speaker 3: He did chatted with Rennie Harlan.
Speaker 1: No, no, we tried, but he did brick layering Greece. So he's all over the world making movies.
Speaker 3: Well, if I if I ever do a deal with Rennie Harlan, I'll be sure to drop you to get get his people. I don't ever deal with the actual person, but maybe his attorney or representative to try to get with it, because because I think Rennie Harlan ought to be on your podcast.
Speaker 4: We agree, but he's very busy. It was Slovakia.
Speaker 3: Good for him. I mean, that's great.
Speaker 1: I mean we've we never we never started this with that, like we thought maybe it'd be cool, but we're never bothered by it. We're just gonna keep going. There's no like entitlement or anything, but like like, yeah, we need to talk chat to him. If not, we're just gonna keep going.
Speaker 3: I think it would be well have you reached out to LL's people. I mean, he would be cool to have on here.
Speaker 4: It'll be cool to have on.
Speaker 1: We're not very ambitious with this show. We're just happy to Jay and I just like chatting.
Speaker 3: And maybe you can get Michael Rappaport.
Speaker 4: We probably could, but I don't. He seems the most guessable.
Speaker 3: Now he does have his own podcast. I think he has his own podcast.
Speaker 4: It's pretty popular, and he's on this year soon as well.
Speaker 3: Right right, So, so one connection one thing that you that you mentioned about Titanic, and you were talking about how their their plan in Deep Blue c was sort of mapped out for the viewer. It's always good Titanic did this too, to explain. I remember Roger Ebert talking about Titanic and how brilliant it was that in just a few minutes it was able to show us in the beginning how the boat broke in half and how it sank. Okay, because then later on in the movie you see the boat break in half and it seek right, you also kind of understand with all of the different modern I guess at that time views of the boat on the bottom of the ocean, with the little subs and stuff. You understood what it would take for them to go from this part of the boat to another part of the boat to escape all of that. So you have that right. Well, what I think is great about a movie like Deep Lucy, and of course I'm a fan of Titanic, is the idea that the audience has context. They understand that it's all contained within and deeply Cy this one place. So when they go under the water and they are trying to access this panel or whatever they're doing in the scene that we're talking about, there's some internal logic to it, right, You're not rolling your eyes and going, oh my god, why, because how many horror films involve someone walking Oh the movie where they say, oh, well, we're all gonna have to split up now, right, Yeah, I mean no, don't split up.
Speaker 1: LLLL calls her out for that too. When Saffron goes on her own. He's like, are you really going off on your own?
Speaker 4: Exactly?
Speaker 1: And you know it's funny when they go down to turn the pumps on, they don't need eight people, like, they just need two. So that makes sense for them to split up.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I love this movie.
Speaker 2: And like they say, you two just stay here, and preachers like sure, I'm just gonna hang out here, and Susan's like, but where like film, horror films tend to split up so they can cut between two groups of people.
Speaker 4: They can have like actionally here actually here.
Speaker 2: Deeps is great because it starts out that way organically, like preachers in the kitchen, everyone else is doing the test. That makes sense, it's just kind of narratively it works.
Speaker 3: So my wife's a film producer and she made a horror movie called Rave Party Massacre for like no money, and it's available on all the platforms.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: The one thing that she wanted to do with her film is she wanted to have people coming apart for a reason and then coming back together again. So she separated them logically in her film and then brought them together sort of randomly and then all together. Because we thought that the movie had to have some kind of internal logic to it, you know, because when a movie makes you go, oh god, you know, why would you do that, that's when you lose your audience, you know. And the Running Man sequel certainly does that, you know. I mean, it makes you moan at times. I don't think I moaned hardly at all watching Deep Blue.
Speaker 1: C It's not a moaner. It's a crowd please.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And okay, I saw the thumbs up in this, and before we get on, I would love to talk more about the entertainment law and like how you would get this made, because I think that's fast. I'm teaching a producing class right now in my college. I teach at and there's a thumbs up. So here's what I want you guys to do. I went through an incredible amount of thumbs ups, and I have just I don't know how to find the top three. But I'm gonna ask you guys something. This one's not one of the top all time, but I'm gonna give you three scenes and I want you to start bench or drop them, so basically rank them one, two, three, but I like staying start bench drop so and Terminator two Judgment Day, another Cameron film, a Chase film, very simple to follow, when the T eight hundred gives a thumbs up while going into the lava.
Speaker 4: Right sure, yeah.
Speaker 1: And then in a Clockwork Orange at the end when Alex is in the cast with this thumb up in the air and everyone's cheering. I think that's just one of the greatest thumbs up ever in cinema.
Speaker 3: No question.
Speaker 1: And then I have so many good ones. Okay, the one in Oh, there's a good one roun all the Bronx. I'm gonna go with the Rock nineteen ninety seven, when Sean Connery is walking down a tunnel and then he just stops and he puts his thumb up, and then he puts it down and walks away. It's just a great Connery thumbs up. So start bench drop the thumbs up from Terminator two, the thumbs up from the Rock, and the thumbs up from a clockwork Orange.
Speaker 3: I would drop the Rock. One for me would be Terminator too, because it's my generation and it also hit me sentimentally. And then third Clockwork Orange is a strange bitter beast. Depending on which version in the UK, it was a video nasty wasn't it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Yeah, so you know, I mean, I don't know if people actually associate that particular moment with a clockwork orange.
Speaker 3: I think there are so many other moments that overshadow that moment. So I would definitely say that number one would have to be. And that's the one that I would think of any time I think of a thumbs up, I would think of Terminator two. Terminator two was just so transcendent in almost every way. I couldn't believe that they had taken Terminator, which was arguably one of the coolest films ever made simple simple, It was so cool. I mean, you put that and Highlander together in a double feature and you're you're you have a great boys night, right, and and then all of a sudden, now Termineer two is something more, It's something bigger, and it's what was promised in the end of Terminator. So, uh, the whole idea that you now can make the killer and they did this in Predator bad Lands too. You make a Predator of the hero, a sentimental hero with that, and uh, I think that's the magic of good writing and great cinema, Right.
Speaker 1: Jay, how would you rank those three?
Speaker 2: I have to keep tea too at the top as well, just like that's the iconic I'm the same thing with thumbs up. That's the thumbs up I think of. I used to run a movie site, the Lamb, and my final post, my last the last image I did in the post was the thumbs up going to the lava. I was like, I'm leaving this job now and hanging on somebody else. I'm sinking into the lava goodbye. I'd have to drop a clockwork orange just because I don't remember that image. I've seen the film a couple of times, but it's not it's that's not I agree with with with what John said. It's not when you think of a clock orange, that's not the image you think. You think about the four guys going down the tunnel. You think you think about so much more depraved things going.
Speaker 4: On in that film.
Speaker 3: Well, you always you always think about when you think of Clockwork Orange. Obviously the rape scene with the giant penis the uh this the scene where he's being reprogrammed with his eyes pride open, and then of course the drugs.
Speaker 1: So you know, okay, so it's Terminator two is the best, right, Jay.
Speaker 2: And I do and I really like I like the Rock quite a lot, I do. I can picture the Connery thumbs up in the tunnel. That has stuck with me as well, So I'm fine benching that. But I do like that one. So no disrespect to Crtle Orange. It is just not not one of my films.
Speaker 3: Was that, Simon West Michael?
Speaker 4: That was.
Speaker 1: Okay? Now, since Terminator two is better, tell me if these are better, if we could improve our list. So it's not. No, it's not a character. But Buddy Christ with the thumbs up? Is that more iconic than the Terminator?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 1: Still on top?
Speaker 3: Yeah? T two is still on top. I I just reviewed and watched uh the four k of of The Redo of Dogma, and what struck me about that film is how witty it really was and how insightful. I don't know what happened to Kevin Smith, you know, I interviewed him unfortunately about Jersey Girl, and that was sort of just such a disappointment. And I think that I think that that again, people are not associating the thumbs up with that film. If anything, the end bit uh, with with all the violence is really something I think people remember that.
Speaker 1: You guys are so smart Okay, what about this Jackie Chan's thumbs up from Romo and the Bronx during the Blooper reel that like that people use as a gift. Is that probably not? Okay? What about Chuck Norris Dodgeball? Chuck Norris's thumbs up from Dodgeball.
Speaker 3: You know, if you had to Chuck Norris gave a thumbs up from Dodgeball, I would not have remember it did It's what I love. Oh my gosh, you've never seen. Oh my god, you have to go you guys have to go back through Chuck Norris's.
Speaker 4: Uh, it's just me.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, lone Wolf McQuaid. It's great.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna do a speed around real quick because we got to get you out of here. So we have the Wayne's World thumbs up where he goes excellent, cuts in.
Speaker 3: On, right on. Okay, that that's that's how that would be my number two.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I look for like some lady thumbs up, but Emma Stone gives some good ones from Easy Age. She kind of puts her whole shoulder into it. But I don't know if that that stands in here. But then we have the Gladiator thumbs up.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry, Yeah, I'm easy, not iconic, but it's good. Gladiator will have been on my list as well. I do feel like and when Skulkins does the thumbs up, is the shock like just is he acknowledging the shock and the shock read that, I was like, yeah, thumbs up, I'm gonna kill this guy.
Speaker 4: He's telling me to do it, Come.
Speaker 3: On and get him. What is the old saying? I don't have to run fast, I just have to run faster.
Speaker 1: Than you than uh?
Speaker 3: And then let's see top admit about Emma Stone. I mean, Emma Stone has an iconic well not iconic. She has a wonderful scene in Pogonia where she goes, yeah you know, I mean she didn't do it thumbs up, but you know, give props to Stone.
Speaker 1: You know, she's yeah, she does this thing where she kind of punches her shoulders and then puts her hands up like it's like a full body thumbs up. So like, I really like her form in that.
Speaker 3: I like I like her in everything. She's always in good form.
Speaker 1: She's great.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 1: Now let's see we have the top gun thumbs up.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: What about in Asontera when he when he does the point and then the.
Speaker 3: Thumb that's a modification. They call that a permutation. That thumbs up.
Speaker 4: You know, I like it. I don't remember it, but I like it.
Speaker 3: No, I totally remember it. I wouldn't have thought of it until you mentioned it.
Speaker 1: And he also has one where he says a bunch of zits on his face, he's under cover, and he does a thumbs up a lot of thumbs up. And we have mad Nactury Road, the iconic quick thumbs up from Tom Hardy where he kind of goes, when you can be grudgingly goes, good job does that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's not breaking the top three.
Speaker 1: There's the Johnny Utah point break thumbs up where he's in the rain and he's like, yeah, and I I've used that gift so many gifts, so many gifts whatever it's called, thousands of times. I don't think that one people aren't biting on that. And then the Batman Forever when Kilmer does the quick thumbs up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think people even remember that forever, all.
Speaker 4: Right, I don't. Yeah, So I mean.
Speaker 1: T two wins, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, two wings. But Wayne's world is making a bit.
Speaker 3: For a right well. And then after that it's got to be Gladiators because it's narratively purposeful, you know, I mean, it has actual narrative importance, you know. You know.
Speaker 1: I was kind of disappointed because and Happy Gillmore. I could have sworn that he looks at somebody and gives him a thumbs up and then goes, you should play in the tournament, right, But he does such a short thumbs up. He kind of just does like a t like just a tea kettle motion, like he's just sort of like holding it and then does that. But but it's not a real thumbs up. It's like a fake out. But if he would have started with the thumb up and then turned it down and made the farty noise, I'd put that time.
Speaker 2: I think renee Zoa could do the same thing in Chicago when like mcketty's trying to really center on the routine, that's what do you think of that?
Speaker 4: And she's she's the Rospberry. I think my wife was watching Chicago a lot recently.
Speaker 3: Netflix screened Jay Kelly for us last night, and Sandler is, uh, he's all right in it. I mean, he's pretty good in the movie. The movie is I I wasn't a big fan of it, but Sandler was good this serious side, no jokes.
Speaker 1: One of my biggest posts ever. He said, if he didn't get nominated for an Oscar for Uncut Gems, he would make the worst movie ever made. So I created the worst world, worst Adam Sandler movie ever based on his bad movies.
Speaker 4: And it got about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it had over like seventy five thousand up votes on Reddick, got shared all over the internet, and then he heard about it, and but it's still not made. I was hoping to get like a story by.
Speaker 3: No, wait a minute, So the worst movie ever made is not the ridiculous sixth.
Speaker 1: I came up with a movie called Jack Dup where he's a personal he's a shoe salesman who's married to him. His his wife is himself and she's a personal trainer and they go to Costa Rica for a wedding. And in Costa Rica, the President played by Terry Cruz is kidnapped by terrorists led by a jet skiing Rob Schneider, who's playing a completely different ethnicity in the role. And then it's up to it's up to the Sandler Sandlers to save the president from a Rob Schneider terrorist and there's a jet ski chase in a lazy river.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean, what was the movie where he played his sister Jack, Jack and Jill, So you know that's that's totally I could see that. I could totally see.
Speaker 1: That it got it was big. It was just millions of views and that was probably and it got me a job for four years, so that was.
Speaker 3: Cool that whatever works, right, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: But uh well, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 2: We need we need to talk sho films. Sorry sorry, I don't know if mars Osti is or not. But if not, on the spot, what would you say, we're combining a spreadsheet, what are your top four shark movies or movies with sharks in them?
Speaker 1: If you profess Ja typically does the bookings, and he's much more organized than I am. Jonathan's like, hey, are we recording today? Like what time? I'm like, I got your right.
Speaker 3: So obviously Jaws, okay, possibly Jaws two, also the Shallows, Deep Blue c it would be on there.
Speaker 1: Mmm, so the top four and is that the order Jaws, Jaws to the Shallows and Deep Blue CE or we'll give.
Speaker 3: You more of an I would say, I would say the Shallows would be above Uh. Well see I have actually kind of like Jaws to me too. Yeah, but I I don't know if I rank it above the Shallows. It's really that's a really effective film. It's just and it it really launched a career of a fine director, you know. So I would say the Shallows would be above it. Deeply. C would be on that list. I haven't given it much thought, guys, I'm so sorry. I will where we go just hit me with an email and then to remind me because I'm going to jump back into some contract work here after this, but uh, you know, I'll have a think on it, as they say in in England. Right on.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, so thank you for joining U. John.
Speaker 2: Do you have anything you want to plug or promote? Where can where can the listeners find you?
Speaker 3: I have a well, I can be found at Times Hair Old Times, dash Herald dot com. Under reviews you go to Arts and Entertainment or Arts and Community and then it's reviews. All of my content on that website is free. They make that a sort of a lost leader for to generate traffic, and there should be maybe ten years of reviews there. I don't know if it's quite that many. I review two to three films a week occasionally do an interview. So that's where you could find me on X I'm at film Fix, so if you need to see my reviews, you can go there and click and there they are. I also write for another little read South Atlanta monthly called The Paper, that's what they call it, and it's on the streets every week. I do a streaming piece for that. But you know what happened was COVID swallowed up a lot of the prints that just you know, all the monthlies just sort of went away. It was real sad. So yeah, that's me. And then if anyone needs film production law representation, my website is film Production Law dot com and that's where you can you can find me and call me up, talk to my assistant who's my wife, Maggie, and we can set up a meeting.
Speaker 1: Love it well, Thank you so much for joining.
Speaker 3: Us, Actually, thank you you.
Speaker 4: Have anything you want to plug now movie Sounds of Flicks.
Speaker 1: We got a lot of good stuff coming up in December, and I'm really jazz for our water episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, excellently, sir, and yeah, Lifettersfilm dot Com is my site.
Speaker 4: A couple of new reviews coming up over there, and.
Speaker 2: I've just reviewed A Mother's Embrace over at Blueprint review dot com because I thought it was going to be an aquatic film.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's like it's built as it's during a flood. It's a Brazilian film, I believe.
Speaker 2: It's set in nineteen ninety six with it during like a heavy rain in Rio de Janeiro, with like firefighters that go into a nursing home to try and save it during a flood, and the lead character is haunted by visions of tentacles and all.
Speaker 4: This is great, and it was. It was quite disappointing.
Speaker 2: We will not be covering it on the show, but I've review a bit for blue Preview dot com. Seeing gary that over there to cut it k reviewed. Next week we'll be Beast of War to about new films. That's a new Shark movie that we've already talked about. We're going to cover it next week, so come back next week for that. But as for Deep Busy one, chapter twenty four, thank you once again to our wonderful guest John Hickman.
Speaker 3: Thank you, guys.
Speaker 4: I've been Jake Lewett, Markathmeyer, and we'll deep Blue. See you next week, Sara
Speaker 3: Don't you think that he had all