Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Yum, chomp, chomp chomp. Do you want your Jeopardy question? Sure? All right, Yeah we did that. I just kind of let it slide. Actually we always did around this time. The World of Pop Culture for four hundred dollars a little loud, but you know they listen. We're all living our own volume journey.
Speaker 2: Thing wasn't working your Internetstown.
Speaker 1: Robots with a good memory for bad times. Up end of theme Park on this a futuristic HBO series.
Speaker 2: Oh that was mine is west World?
Speaker 1: Yes, that was your show.
Speaker 2: I like that show.
Speaker 1: You did like that show?
Speaker 2: Two seasons, the rest of it, Yeah, Downhill.
Speaker 1: It was really you're all in on that show. The first one. It's pretty good. First season, it's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Amazing. Got a little weird. There was always a little weird.
Speaker 3: I went to my first I went tost Okay game and I saw Shannon down there and I was messaging her and I didn't really know how to use the app, and she asked me if I was by the easy and I didn't know what an easy is It took me about a week to figure it out. Anyway, that's funny time, and by then it's too late to say, yes, that's funny.
Speaker 2: What else is going on? Time for what's happening?
Speaker 4: Well, a bunch of stories going on Internationally. President Trump says he's not happy with Russian President Vladimir Putin. We know that there were some talks to some degree this week in London about a peace deal between Ukraine and Russia. And as they've made progress, Russia then launched its deadliest wave of attacks against Kiev in nine months, several hundred missiles and drones that were fired in the direction at lee least twelve deaths in Kiev, dozens and dozens of people injured. In a truth social post this morning, Trump wrote, I am not happy with the Russian strikes on Kiev. Not necessary and very bad timing. Vladimir stop. Five thousand soldiers a week are dying. Let's get the piece deal done.
Speaker 1: We are following this police activity in Miami day. It's a warehouse area? Is this separate? Sorry? I have no internet, so I A you're right scrambling It was okay? So this was the one warehouse area near a car dealer there in Miami Dade. Of course, the police presence, fire presence still quite heavy there. They believe that a shooter shot himself after shooting several other people. It's an area called Glen Var Heights if you are familiar.
Speaker 4: One of the witnesses told a TV station in Florida's he saw the shooter take out a handgun and afle and fire shots at law enforcement and then ran inside their warehouse.
Speaker 1: It was take your child to work day, you know. My husband said yesterday was take your kid to work day at his place of employment. And I thought, how come we don't do that around here. I don't see any kids around here.
Speaker 2: I don't want to encourage kids to do this in their future.
Speaker 1: Don't you think it's important for kids to know what their parents do. I loved that. I loved going to the school where my dad taught at so I could see like it was so cool, like he was a superhero. I wish i'd know that.
Speaker 2: I would have brought my daughter.
Speaker 1: She thinks what we do is really cool. I would have loved to meet your daughter.
Speaker 5: She thinks everybody here is really cool, and like, well, then maybe.
Speaker 1: Then we keep her away from us. We keep her away so that we keep that level of coolness.
Speaker 4: Bottle that heather, because there will be a time in a couple of years where she's just like, ugh, I'm really nervous.
Speaker 1: Eleven I adored my mother and then twelve year old I'm just kidding. I'm just kidding.
Speaker 4: Another story that's going on right now at Langley air Force Base, National Transportation Safety Boards at an aircraft has crashed there and that the NTSB is and root. They of course are close, so it's not going to take them a very long time to get there. But a phone call a press contact at Langley Air Force said that first responders are on the scene, safety and security of personnel is still a priority and they're still under investigation. They said the plane is likely a high performance single seat aerobatic aircraft designed primarily for air shows and competitive aerobatics.
Speaker 1: Sorry, still struggling over here.
Speaker 4: Jack in the Blox has announced the somewhere between one hundred and fifty and two hundred underperforming stores part of an aggressive financial plan that they are calling Jack on Track, CEO of Jack and the Box Catchy.
Speaker 1: That's reminded me of something I heard earlier.
Speaker 2: I said in a statement.
Speaker 4: The fast food chain known for Jumbo the Jumbo Yak, and they're sarcastic. Jack in the box mascot is accelerating cash flow and paying down debt.
Speaker 1: I have an awful story to share. Maybe I shouldn't share it.
Speaker 2: Is it to require music?
Speaker 1: No, it's really bad. Twin brothers, high school students, both drowned during a fishing outing in Mississippi. Wow, not awful. Eighteen years old, Cameron and Jamerian.
Speaker 2: I have a better story than that's good.
Speaker 1: That's good? Could you imagine? I mean, it's a family tragedy, it's a school tragedy. It's a community. That is the stuff that you never books are written about. That kind of stuff like that is insane for a small town, especially to get their head around.
Speaker 2: Constance Meyer of Beverly Hills violin teacher to some very rich and happy people. But she would cough a lot, and her students noticed it. The parents of some of the students noticed it. Finally, when she seventy two year old virtuoso concert violinist, when she coughed in front of a UCLA cardiologist. The UCLA cardiologist said, you want to get that checked out. It turns out she had a significant blockage in her left anterior descending artery, which is the main artery that supplies the heart muscle, a ticking time bomb that she was refusing to check out because she simply thought she had a dry, nagging cough, when in fact it was a significant heart issue that she had.
Speaker 1: To Yeah, those dry coughs that linger can be very problematic. Sometimes it's just a dry cough that lingers.
Speaker 4: She says, she's a vegetarian, avid walker, no past heart problems or even symptoms. Yeah, but the doctor said a lot of people overlook subtle and unusual signs like a persistent CAF.
Speaker 2: So she goes to gotta take.
Speaker 6: Care of You're listening to Gary and Shannon on Demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 4: The Trump administration has also asked the Supreme Court to allow to enforce its ban on transgender service members in the military. This Solicitor General filed this emergency application with scotis trying to block a nationwide injunction that was issued by a judge back in Washington State. This is similar to the policy that was in place in the first term. It to quote generally disqualifies from military service individuals who have gendered dysphoria or who have undergone medical interventions for gender dysphoria. The Harvey Weinstein case is back on. This is a retrial. He allegedly sexually assaulted a sixteen year old model inside his Soho apartment and then bragged to her about helping boost the careers of Gwyneth Paltrow and Penelope Cruz. This is part of the opening statements that were heard yesterday. The youngest accuser was identified as the new witness that is set to confront this guy in court after his convictions.
Speaker 2: Of course, at.
Speaker 4: The height of the Me Too movement, the conviction original one was tossed on appeal.
Speaker 1: Strange science is headed your way. We've got a story about a bizarre carnivorous bone collector caterpillar discovered in Hawaii.
Speaker 2: We have a chance for you to win one thousand dollars.
Speaker 6: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars just enter this nationwide keyword on our website.
Speaker 2: Win That's win wim.
Speaker 6: Edward now at KFIAM six forty dot com. Slash cash Howard by Sweet James Accident Attorneys.
Speaker 2: If you're hurting an accident.
Speaker 6: Winning is everything.
Speaker 2: Call the winning attorneys at Sweet James.
Speaker 6: One eight hundred nine million. That's one eight hundred nine million or sweet James dot com.
Speaker 4: Again, keyword goes on the website. The keyword is win. If you do win, they'll let you know via email. So keep an eye on that. And then an hour from now during the John Cobelt Show with Carl Demile, you're going to win one thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Again we mentioned this week has been the spot of take your Child.
Speaker 4: To Work Day, and they call it different things. Some of them is bring your child, bring your take your son or daughter to work day. Bring it the official Department of the Interior of your United States government.
Speaker 1: Find some kid and bring it to where you're going.
Speaker 2: All it says is bring a kid to work Day. So just get one off the street, could be anybody's kid.
Speaker 1: Stop at the bus stop, grab a kid.
Speaker 4: They said it's an annual event held on the fourth Thursday of April, that would be today. So they said that there is a theme this year. Again this is from the Department of the Interior. I don't know anybody who actually pays attention to what Doui.
Speaker 2: Says, but the theme.
Speaker 1: Wait, hold on, go on, maybe we should guess about the theme.
Speaker 2: All right, what is the theme you think for take your kid to Workday Today? For April twenty fourth, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: My idea would be something like work together or something stupid like, no, do your job, get paid and that should be enough. No, don't expect there to be puppies at work on a bad day. No, is it called work sucks? It's like people that go to jail and expect it to be the freaking rits You're going to work. It's called work for a reason. Is that the theme?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: Is is it called your bad attitude at work is bad for you and everybody around you? Is that the theme?
Speaker 2: Are all hitting way too close to home?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Really, No, it's called why Mommy's on Xanax and why Daddy has a drinking problem.
Speaker 1: That's also very close enough.
Speaker 2: The theme this.
Speaker 4: Year from the Department of Interior is for a new generation, connecting kids with role models into different fields, gaining experiences that make their future goal to reatainable and exciting.
Speaker 1: Too long to read the Department of Interior. Actually, my initial idea of working together has.
Speaker 4: Resources to help you and your children encourage learning.
Speaker 1: Is it how to how to set your boss on fire?
Speaker 4: It's also not just your children, it's the children in your life. So for example, if I had grand I could bring a grand kid in here, and then I have it's a kid.
Speaker 1: Sure, right, do you have grandkids I don't know about.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't think so do you.
Speaker 1: Have grandkids you don't know about?
Speaker 2: Possibly? Clearly possible.
Speaker 1: You just got real quiet there for a secon.
Speaker 2: Now to do the math on that.
Speaker 1: It's just funny, like bring kids do work day, Like I never really thought about it, Like you go home, you're complaining to like your wife or your your husband, like God, Peter sucks, Peter's freaking off, like freaking hate. Peter sucks so bad. I'm sorry of using your dog's name. But uh, and then you and then it's like take your kid to work today and you're like, and this is Peter kids like you suck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my dad says you're.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah. My mom says you're a horror. You're a horror. For John, it was John's his boss, John J Boss got it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my kids have come in. I would bring my kids in never during the week. It was when I was doing the Sunday show.
Speaker 1: I saw he brought your chid. You brought your daughter in during the week. I brought her in here to see this show. Yeah, but when they were younger. I don't think my son has set foot in this place. He was about ten. You can't expose your children to the handle show, right, which back then, when it was you know, when it was what well it was, I don't know. I don't know what I was going to say.
Speaker 2: I think I do know what you're going to say.
Speaker 1: What was I going to say?
Speaker 2: I don't know it was going to be bad though it.
Speaker 1: Wasn't going to be bad. I was just I don't know if it's more crass back then than it is now.
Speaker 4: But I have noticed that my daughter is very comfortable speaking in front of people, and I don't know if that's because she saw me do it, or if that's a genetic thing or what. My wife is very uncomfortable speaking. She's great at it, but she is uncomfortable speaking in front of people.
Speaker 1: I'm wildly uncomfortable speaking in front of people.
Speaker 4: Which is weird because we do it every day. Yeah, I mean, you do it in front of me, and I do it in front of you. Obviously it'd be different. I've said this many times before. I'd be different speaking to a room of ten people than to Dodger Stadium. Standing on pitchers mound and speaking to Dodger Stadium would be less intimidating to me than in a room of ten people.
Speaker 1: This sounds awful to me. It's like one word, you and I have to do something. Do you notice that I kind of just like hide behind you like you're a plant?
Speaker 4: You do say to me, you're the one talking. Yes, sometimes yes, but it doesn't always end.
Speaker 2: Up that way.
Speaker 1: No, No, because I can't shut the hell up, but I do. It is terrifying, the idea of like standing up or just even a break.
Speaker 2: But you'll close the deal. Oh my god. All right. Strange science, including what have.
Speaker 1: We ever played that game dogs?
Speaker 4: Dogs outrank humans when it comes to relationships, and also why things like palm oil, corn syrup, dextrin blue number one, yellow number making.
Speaker 1: My stomach urau.
Speaker 4: I just ate all the combination of food additives could be worse than just one food additive.
Speaker 2: We'll explain.
Speaker 1: Is that why we just ate those peanut m and a We haven't touched them you haven't. No, oh, oh, okay, you're better than you. Better eat those m and ms.
Speaker 4: I just I didn't need them during the segment, that's all, but I will probably finish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you better.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Live Everywhere on the iHeart Radio app.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry, Shannon, bless you for choosing not to have kids, but if you were bringing your kids to work that you guys go from talking global politics and geopolitical strategy to Darius and underwear naked, naked in underwear seats, even the road you do, you guys go naked and Harry's fitos right into everything else. You need a kid around for that?
Speaker 2: Not a good idea.
Speaker 1: Do you think that my kid wouldn't hear worse at.
Speaker 2: Home that I think is awesome? Come on, funny, come on, suggest Do.
Speaker 1: You think it's all rainbows and sugar plums at home? And then I expose them to this show.
Speaker 2: Mommy's just gonna have some tea and read quietly on the counter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here's a crumpet right up your butt.
Speaker 2: What are you doing to the kid?
Speaker 1: Well, you sit tea that I was thinking crumpets and I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's gotta go there.
Speaker 1: What is a crumpet? Is that just a cookie?
Speaker 2: I have no idea. I've never had.
Speaker 1: You don't know. I've never known what a crumpet is. You're not you should know what a crumpet is.
Speaker 2: Iheartradios.
Speaker 4: Wango Tango, presented by Fiji air Ways, is coming up on Saturday, May tenth at Huntingson City Beach, which will be just south of the pier. It will be fantastic, fantastic.
Speaker 1: Oh, crumpet's like an English muffin. I like, but thinner and moister.
Speaker 4: Get your tickets now AXS dot com because prices are going to go up next Friday. Live performances at Wango Tango from and Mix and David Getta and Gwen Stefani and Doja Cat make a whole weekend out of the whole thing as well, because they have hotel packages available again ax s dot com and get them before prices go up next Friday.
Speaker 1: M I like crumpets.
Speaker 2: It's time for strange science.
Speaker 6: Strange science.
Speaker 2: It's like weird science, but strange.
Speaker 1: Okay. So scientists in Hawaii have discovered a new, extremely rare species This is the carnivorous bone collecting caterpillar. They live in one five mile area on a Wahoo. Scientists there say that after hatching the tiny instinct insects live almost their entire lives in the web of a single spider, eating any weakened or recently deceased insects that have been caught by their host, all while adorned in a grisly collection of body parts. Daniel Ubanov is a professor an etymology chair at University of Hawaii, and he says they'll also find dry bits of excuse me, they'll find bits of dry bug jerky stuck to the web and eat that. They're not just meat eating, but they're also cannibals. If they come across another smaller caterpillar, they will happily consume it. That's why we never find more than one caterpillar pillar per web.
Speaker 2: The bone collector caterpillar.
Speaker 1: They're very rare. They make up less than point one three percent of the moth and butterfly species around the globe. But they're even rarer still. They've called the species bone collector, and they're working on publishing a species description that will include a formal scientific name my goodness.
Speaker 4: I mentioned The Bone Collector, the book written by Jeff free Dever good book.
Speaker 1: What's that about about War?
Speaker 2: The Bone Collector?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's about a serial killer, hence the they leave clues.
Speaker 1: Denzel Washington, War can also be a bone collector.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 4: Denzel Washington and Angelina Joe Lee were in the movie which would have been ninety six ninety seven. I don't think I ever said nine ninety nine is when they can't see that. Your dog doesn't criticize you. Your dog rarely starts arguments about politics, probably doesn't hold a grudge, you know, may not wag its tail when you get home, but it's still happy to see you. A new study from Hungarian researcher shows that dog owners experience greater relationship satisfaction with four legged companions than they do with relatives than they do with friends. In fact, the only bond that matches canine relationships when it comes to fulfillment.
Speaker 2: The only bond is parent child bond.
Speaker 1: And even then the caterpillar insect jerky in a.
Speaker 4: Web's going to warn heather. Even then that has a time limit on it. The parent child bond. Scientific Reports has a study shows the dog owners report receiving more support from their canine companions than from any human relationship except their children. That makes sense, and they experience fewer negative interactions with their dogs compared to most human people.
Speaker 1: Are awful, aren't they they are? A new study suggests food additives might be riskier for health than previously understood. Emulsifiers, dies, artificial sweeteners all linked to health problem.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but the problem is when we've studied them up to this point, we've studied one at a time. Now they're starting to do some studies where they combine red number three with an emulsifier of some kind, because that's what ultra processed foods usually have.
Speaker 2: Is still Smorgus bond.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, aren't most of them, including more than one die?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: They said that some common combinations of these artificial additives, the colors, the sweeteners, and multifiers are associated with a higher risk of type two diabetes beyond what could be explained by the individual substances alone diabetes. So they say that when some of these substances are eaten together, their negative health impacts could be compounded. According to Matilda Tuvier, a research director National Institute of health and medical research in France and the studies lead author.
Speaker 1: Catchy songs, how they get stuck in your head and how to stop it. We have the answers when we return.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six fortys.
Speaker 4: Dunked in Soseki sauce, which takes away whatever nutritional value I thought I had in the green bell pepper.
Speaker 1: Probably I was just yogurt and some dill and starlak garlic.
Speaker 4: Kings are up two games to none over the Oilers their six two win last night. Game three is tomorrow night in Edmonton basketball playoffs Clippers and Nuggets. Game three is tonight at the Into It Dome. Pirates beat the Angels three nothing. They'll wrap up their series with a game at about six thirty tonight. I believe Cubs beat the Dodgers again Yesterday seven is six at Wrigley, so Dodgers have a day off today, they come home and they will host the Pirates starting tomorrow. We've talked about the science of catchy music before. Earworm kind songs that get stuck in your head for no real good reason. Science doesn't know exactly what makes it an earworm why it keeps coming back. For example, they refer to it in the science world as involuntary musical imagery. You don't even plan on it, but the song just kind of pops up in your head. And if you work in a place that plays music constantly, you're gonna hear something over and over again.
Speaker 2: That's one that we hear here.
Speaker 1: We used to rotation.
Speaker 2: There's a there's something by the way.
Speaker 4: Speech doesn't inherently have the same structure that music does, for example, but poetry might. And there is one theory that suggests that simply repeating spoken words make them sound like music. So here's an example of just spoken words repeated over and over again that your brain will interpret as music.
Speaker 8: Sometimes behaves so strangely, sometimes behaves so strangely, sometimes behaves so strangely like her, sometimes behaves so strangely, sometimes behaves so strangely. The sounds as they appear to you are not only different from those that are really present, but they sometimes behave so strangely as to seem quite impossible understand.
Speaker 4: That's not hard to understand, because she had a certain cadence to her voice, and the tone changed a little bit and then when you repeat it like that, it sounds like music. That's kind of the way our heads do this. They say that the earworm itself is kind of a hard thing to pin down, but scientists have been matching mapping out why some songs are more catchy than others. For example, I'm gonna give you two different songs. You tell me which one is more catchy. They say that what matters most about an earworm is whether the song is singable, how easy it is to understand. And to me, the first one was the lyrics were clearer, yes, And how compelled you are to sing along, even if it is just in your head.
Speaker 1: And even if the lyrics are inane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean this is the probably a great example.
Speaker 1: These are brilliant.
Speaker 4: Lyrics, I mean, and that's the chorus of that song is what makes that thing that?
Speaker 1: And the video is so good dancing kids don't know what video is.
Speaker 5: I feel like we need to break in this song again. It's not Friday yet, but I'm just a great Can I pick the song for you too to sing?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: Okay, musical, we're going with musical? Right?
Speaker 2: Oh? Right now? Okay, you started this?
Speaker 6: I did.
Speaker 2: I just don't on a limb by Gary?
Speaker 1: What's the what's the song from Aladdin? A whole New world? Can you guys do a whole new world? I can show you the world. That's how I started commit to it. Yeah, you started. You've heard me sing right. People crash their vehicles. It's awful. It's like a freaking disease, pet dying, a slow death in a corner.
Speaker 2: How awful?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 2: I can show you the world?
Speaker 1: Yeah, ready, you don't know how it goes?
Speaker 2: Shimmering splene, I need.
Speaker 1: Just sing it. Do you want me to do? You want me to get the music up?
Speaker 2: Tell me Shatner princess.
Speaker 1: Now you guys sing it?
Speaker 2: When did you least let your heart to say?
Speaker 3: Sorry?
Speaker 1: I got that way too into it.
Speaker 5: This is going to be your probo for tomorrow, Gary and Shannon of the world.
Speaker 1: You see the look on his face. You ruined it.
Speaker 2: This was my favorite, though.
Speaker 4: They said that most of the time people find earworm's pleasant or at least neutral. Outside of the baby shark thing. People in Britain often sing God Save the Queen or now, of course, God Save the King, which can take their minds off of ear worm infestation because it is so boring that it will replace anything that it is that you had stuck in your head before.
Speaker 1: Wait, why did I think it was the punk version of God saying? When I first read that, I thought that too, and I was like, that's an interesting choice.
Speaker 4: I think in America that's by far more popular. I mean, granted, the melody is the same as My Country Tis of Thee, but I think people when you say God Save the Queen, they think of the punk vers.
Speaker 5: It's my genic's mind that went immediately to like the punk version of it.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Speaking of music, each draft prospect selected a walkout song for the draft tonight. I tell you what they are, but I don't know any of them. In the top was this Top thirteen, Top fifteen guys. I don't know any of these songs.
Speaker 2: That's great. What are they are? Songs?
Speaker 1: Okay, imaginary Players, jay Z free punk promo, little Baby right above it, Lil Wayne about My Money QT seven kwany international player's anthem, I choose you, ugk outcast Bottom, gonna him all along, gonna let it all work out, Lil Wayne toast up, A lot of Gunna, A lot of gunna. Walk through Richie rich Homie Kwan, get Ready rod Wave, I know rod Wave, I don't know get Ready Drake Forever. Oh that's funny. That's funny, and then another rod Wave song.
Speaker 2: But zero Kendrick in there.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's how old I am.
Speaker 1: You're very old. You're an old.
Speaker 2: These guys are all twenty one three.
Speaker 4: You have a little something, I guess all right. Carl Demayo in for John Cobalt is coming up next. We'll see you tomorrow, all of those. Stay dry, everybody, blessings. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show, you can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.