Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Quiz Quiz Bang Bang, the pub quiz practice show that hass you pow right in the quizzer. I'm Anny Flora.
Speaker 2: Hand, I'm David Flora, and we're here to teach you more about trivia than there are different types of cats in the musical cats.
Speaker 3: Have I done that one?
Speaker 1: David?
Speaker 4: I don't know, but it's apropos so apropos.
Speaker 1: So why are we talking about cats? And why did you sing? David?
Speaker 4: That's what you call it? We are doing an episode all on a beer odd Way musicals musicals. Are there any theaters straight up.
Speaker 1: Theater because you know there plays on Broadway?
Speaker 4: No, I mean in the in this episode.
Speaker 1: Broadway to you. No, this is all musicals all the time. If you hate Broadway musicals, you can hate us. I mean unless you hate it. But you're like, but I will memorize it because trivia is life.
Speaker 4: That's true. This will help.
Speaker 1: So did we write this episode?
Speaker 4: Are you asking me?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: No, we didn't write this. Who did Our good friend Jeff, who was involved with UNISEF he did a spot on their forests? Jeff, Hi, welcome to the show, and what what spot did you do? Was it an early one.
Speaker 2: I think I was like the three hundred and twelve hour like that, I felt like it. No, no, I was. I was somewhere in the middle, like towards the and that was on Saturday of America Time.
Speaker 3: America Time.
Speaker 1: There are eagles in the background the entire time. Jeff, you wrote this amazing episode. We're super psyched about it. Tell us about yourself and because I know you are a performer and you sing and beautifully, so and tell us about what is Jeff.
Speaker 2: Well, Jeff is an amazing performer. No, I'm kidding, really not. I just really love Broadway. I'm very involved with community theater and semi professional theater. I'm from the Detroit area, so we have quite a bit of diversity with the different theater groups that we have around here. A lot of little black box theaters and then we have some semi professional theaters, and of course, you know, then we have the tours that come on through and everybody wants to be part of those, but those are for the real pros.
Speaker 1: But you also perform. And am I saying this correctly? The Detroit Gabon's choir is that? Is that the right wording?
Speaker 3: What choir do.
Speaker 2: I perform with a choir called Prism Chorus, So there's another The reason I say that is there is another chorus that's called that they tried together Men's Chorus, and they're they're different than we are, so I don't want.
Speaker 1: To it is there that you want to be labeled? Correct? Well, you're just like I don't perform with that group at all. I perform with this group. Stop putting me in the wrong theater, Addie. I apologize, but you said us an audio clip which we will share with the audience at the appropriate time, and it's fantastic, So thank you. Jeff doesn't like compliments, because none of us do, but he is very talented.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Think I will learn to take a compliment, thank you. I mean I take bows on stage, so I might as well learn to take a compliment, right, you know that's all right?
Speaker 4: Everything we say just imagine it's it's hundreds of people clapping.
Speaker 1: Yeah, isn't it funny that hundreds of people clapping isn't weird? But one person saying something nice, it is just like, stop it away.
Speaker 2: Because then it's real. It becomes real.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Theater is fake. It's all a mirage.
Speaker 4: You're behind that fourth wall. You're nice and safe.
Speaker 1: Theater. So, speaking of theater, this episode is going to be all about Broadway musicals, like we said, and it's gonna be pretty much a normal format, but you get a little bit of extra bang bang love.
Speaker 4: Bang bang for your buck buck.
Speaker 1: And we will have a bang bang round in between each regular round. So buckle up.
Speaker 4: Three bang bangs and a.
Speaker 1: Big bang and a big bang in four rounds. So I think we should just jump in Round one. Question one, spanning many years in multiple conflicts, the plot of Les Miserabla eventually ends after a clash in the streets during which historical skirmish. Question two, not including previews, which Best Musical Tony nominee had the least number of performances? Question three? Hamilton has had the most Tony nominations at sixteen, but which non revival musical has had the most wins? Question four? What was the first musical written entirely by women to win Best Musical?
Speaker 3: And now?
Speaker 1: The answer is to round one? Question one, spanning many years in multiple conflicts, the plot of Lema's Rabla eventually ends after a clash in the streets, during which historical skirmish the June eighteen thirty two Rebellion or the Paris Uprising of eighteen thirty two, And here, as promised, not but a few moments ago is Jeff singing? Jeff, which part are you tell us? Set up this clip for us?
Speaker 2: Well, I am playing Marius in this. It was a vocal performance of this. So I'm playing Marius. I'm the second voice. I'm the echo that you hear. So I end with the high note.
Speaker 1: And it's fantastic.
Speaker 5: Please enjoy, begin to liestyle.
Speaker 1: Will and we're back. But we can't compete with that. Why would we start with the best bed? Who knows it's madness?
Speaker 5: Question two?
Speaker 1: Not including previews, Which best musical Tony nominee had the least number of performances? Rags? That's r Ags. It was out in nineteen eighty six and it only had four performances before it closed. But people were like, give that a Tony nominee. David. Neither of us had heard of the show. So David pulled it up and started reading the plot to me. And he starts talking about the a song where two passengers are on ships.
Speaker 3: Passing each other.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, you're talking about Ragtime and he's like, what, No, I'm talking about Rags. I'm like what, I feel like.
Speaker 2: It's literally the same show as rag Time. When you watch it, I was like, they just decided to take out the time and add an ass instead.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it worked, didn't I try to bring it back at one point, probably in the nineties or something. Am I remembering that wrong?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: I mean you probably are, but I just do you know much about it?
Speaker 5: Jiff?
Speaker 2: I don't know much about it?
Speaker 4: So you didn't see one of the four performances.
Speaker 2: I did not see one of the Yeah. I was seven years old. It's on Broadway, and I decided to go see one of these four performances. Actually, I was the one that wrote to the Broadway League and said give that i'm ama, And.
Speaker 1: They're like, this seven year old really has spunk.
Speaker 4: If the show can reach seven year olds, imagine what else it can do. Not with a.
Speaker 1: Tony question three Hamilton has had the most Tony nominations at sixteen, But which non revival musical has had the most wins? The Producers, which came out in two thousand and one, and it got twelve wins from fifteen nominations. And I believe when it came out and got fifteen nominations, that was the most nominations ever, and everybody was like whoa. And then Hamilton came along and was like ha haa, we beat you there. But then they didn't beat them with the wins, So that record stands now.
Speaker 4: That show was Was that a revival of it?
Speaker 1: No, it's a non revival.
Speaker 4: Was it a movie first?
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, and actually it's based off of a movie like back in the seventies that mel Brooks had put on.
Speaker 1: It had Jean Wilder.
Speaker 2: Geen Wilder in it and zero not a musical.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't a musical just yeah. So it was a movie and then it turned into a musical and then later on came the musical movie.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's how it always happens, it seems like.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Question four. What was the first musical written entirely by women to win Best Musical? Fun Home? It was written by Lisa Crone and Janine Tassori, which came out in twenty fifteen. I remember when this was in Chicago and everybody was losing their minds over this show and how good it was. I haven't seen it yet Oh my god.
Speaker 2: You should go see it if it ever comes around. It's such a great show. Oh so good. The music's good, like the whole story is is really really cool.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and I read it's the first Broadway musical that the protagonist is a lesbian. Oh well, that doesn't make sense because of friends.
Speaker 2: Well call her a protagony fair fair.
Speaker 1: But it's it's based off of a graphic artist, like her work, right, like in her her childhood and growing up and what her life was like and her father was gay and coming to terms like with her. Oh like it's when she's a teenage well.
Speaker 2: As a it kind of spans the whole you know, through her being a child and then her going to college and then her being an adult before her father commits suicide. And oh sorry I spoiler alert, but yeah, she was she was a cartoonist and she kind of chronicled like that was kind of like almost a therapy for her. You know, she went through her life, you know, using you know, comics and graphic novels to kind of tell the story. And it's just you know that the family owned a funeral home and that's where like the fun home comes from. It's a funeral home, but it's a fun home. So there's a whole song about it.
Speaker 1: You can listen to it.
Speaker 4: And now it's time for our first Bang Bang question. You will have thirty seconds to give as many answers as you can to the following question. There are five Stephen Sondheim musicals that won Best Musical, and these are ones that he either wrote lyrics or music or both. To name as many as you can.
Speaker 6: Time starts now, and that's time.
Speaker 2: So the five Stephen Sondheim musicals that won Best Musical are A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum from nineteen sixty three, Company from nineteen seventy one, A Little Night Music from nineteen seventy three, Sweeney Todd, The Demon Barber of Fleet Street from nineteen seventy nine, and Passion from nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 4: Seventies were good to him, I was in a funny thing happened?
Speaker 1: Who were you?
Speaker 4: Hysterium?
Speaker 1: Is he the like servant guy who's like always hysterical and that's why his name's Hysterio. What's his song? He's like, I'm.
Speaker 4: Calm, I'm calm, I'm perfectly calm, I'm nottterally under control. Yeah, I haven't to worry where others would hurry. I rolled.
Speaker 1: My college did it. They didn't cast me, but I think like three people broke their noses in that production. They were having a real hard time doing the farcical door slamming run around.
Speaker 2: I would be really grateful that you didn't get cast. This is one show, one of shows that I haven't been in, but I did stage manage for this show, so I have been involved with it. My husband was actually cast.
Speaker 4: In the s show, so who was he?
Speaker 2: He was one of the one of the dancer. They decided to make the twins. Instead of making it a two girls, they made it a boy and a girl. Oh, I think we did two so the captain at the end got to have one of each.
Speaker 1: I like it's cute. I was like, ah, one of each?
Speaker 2: All right. That brings us to round number two. Question five. What is the only musical to win all four musical acting categories in its original run? And that would be Lead Actor and Actress and Featured Actor and Actress. Question six? What two thousand and eight Broadway Musical documents the writing of the show itself by the two writers who play themselves? Question seven, Omar Cassim and babcac replace which character from the nineteen ninety four film in the Broadway adaptation of Disney's Aladdin? Question eight? Which actress from a classic Stephen King horror film made her Broadway debut as Martha Jefferson in the musical seventeen seventy six. And now for the answers to round two. Question five? What is the only musical to win all four musical acting categories in its original run South Pacific that came out in nineteen forty nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that would have been a really great production to see them all winning, been like pouh ough they all can.
Speaker 4: Act so much, or there's nothing else going on in the other ships. Everybody ought to have a doom? Well what is it? It's there's nothing like a dame, isn't it. I was gonna say going back to everybody to have a man a day.
Speaker 1: I was in an imprev group and I don't know why, but we entered that song and I think we wore fig mustaches and we just plunched around and there was women's women's group. There was like six of us, and that's how we started our show, and I don't know.
Speaker 3: It was so goofy.
Speaker 4: When I was in Marching Band. One of the earlier years I was doing it, there was a band that performed a South Pacific show and uh, they all dressed like sailors and at the end, like they had a big finale and they all lined up on the in the middle of the field, you know, in one long line across the field, and then they had like some kind of flash device on their horns and instruments that gave off like a just a pop of light and they all just like popped it off real quick and then just this bomb and it did like the finale to it, and it was just amazing. I was like, Wow, South Pacific, huh give this margin band, Tony.
Speaker 2: Question six, what two thousand and eight Broadway musical documents the writing of the show itself by the two writers who played themselves. The answer is title of show.
Speaker 4: That's a new one to me.
Speaker 2: Most people don't know title of show. It's one of my absolute favorite musicals of all time. It's literally them, it's two guys who are writing the show to enter in the festival and basically them documenting themselves writing the show up until they submitted to the festival and then they've made edits since and like adding in, Okay, well now we're in the festival, and here's what it's like in the festival. But it is so funny because it's just like it's like the Seinfeld of musicals because it's about nothing, Like they're just sitting around talking and it's like they have their inside jokes that like we don't get. But I still think it's funny because I'm like, that means nothing to me, but it's hilarious.
Speaker 1: That sounds awesome. Yeah, We'll definitely have to check that one out because I've never heard of it, but it sounds hilarious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of cultural references, a lot of a lot of theater references, and a lot of like New York references. But yeah, definitely check it out. It's a lot of fun. The music is fun, you know, it's got There's there's a song that has a lot of the effort in it and it's it's a it's not a family friendly song, but it's definitely a lot of fun. So for fun, Question seven, Omar Cassim and Babcac replaced which character from the nineteen ninety four film in the Broadway adaptation of Disney's Aladdin, A Boo the Monkey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I guess it makes sense to have people instead of a monkey. A Boo's like my favorite character in Aladdins. I was like, what are you doing? But they were fine. They were good little comedic sidekicks.
Speaker 4: I'd have gone for a puppet, right, come on? Well? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Question eight, which actress from a classic Stephen King horror film, made her Broadway debut as Martha Jefferson in the musical seventeen seventy six, That Is Betty Buckley. She won the nineteen eighty three Tony Award for the Best Featured Actress in a Musical for her role as Grizabella in the original Broadway production of Cats.
Speaker 1: I mean, if there's a fun fact about Cats, I'm gonna addit in.
Speaker 4: Cats.
Speaker 2: But you're gonna but you're gonna edit out the butts, right, bring them all all back in bring it back.
Speaker 4: I would mind seeing seventeen seventy six the butthole cuts. We took that back. I would absolutely.
Speaker 1: And now it's time for the second Bang Bang Round. You will have thirty seconds to answer the following question. There are seven Sondheim musicals that were nominated but did not win Best Musical. What are they? Your time starts now.
Speaker 4: And that's time. The seven Sondheim musicals that were nominated for but did not win Best Musical were West Side Story, which lost to the Music Man. In nineteen fifty eight, Fiorello and the Sound of Music both tied to beat Gypsy in nineteen sixty. The Sondheim musical Follies in nineteen seventy two was nominated but did not win cause Two Gentlemen of Verona the musical beat it. In nineteen seventy six, Pacific Overtures lost to a chorus line. I guess I could believe that a chorus line is like immortal or something, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a Highlander.
Speaker 4: In nineteen seventy seven, Side By Side By Sondheim lost to Annie. She went and just to me. She just took it away from him. In nineteen eighty four, Believe It or Not, Sunday in the Park with George lost to Lakaja Falls, And in nineteen eighty eight The Phantom of the Opera Beat Into the Woods, Sorry into the Woods, Yeah, because no chance.
Speaker 1: It seems like it would like, you know, oh, that's one of his biggest musicals. But then it's like lost to Phantom of the Opera.
Speaker 2: It's like, well, okay, that would be like every other show that came out the same that Hamilton did.
Speaker 4: It's like, well, what's the point, unlucky, It's just.
Speaker 1: Like, why didn't we come out.
Speaker 3: A year later?
Speaker 4: All right? Time for Round three? Question nine. Neil Patrick, Harris, Darren Chris, and Tay Diggs are a few of the actors who have played the titular character in which Broadway musical? Question ten? What was the name of the musical in the making from the NBC show Smash? Question eleven? What pageant title did the character Velma hold in the John Waters based musical Hairspray? Question twelve? Which Broadway musical features two songs titled Somebody Kill Me and Grow Old with You? From the original movie it was based on? And now the answers to round three question nine. Neil Patrick, Harris, Darren Chris, and Tay Diggs are a few of the actors who have played the titular character in which Broadway musical Headwig and The Angry Inch This.
Speaker 1: Show I didn't really know much about the show. I knew why it was had the title it did, and so I was always like, what is this show? And I don't do things by myself. I'm very much like I don't go to a restaurant by myself. I don't watch movies or go to the theater by myself person. But this is one show that came to town and for some reason, all my friends were busy and I was like, no, I don't. I need to see this show. I need to understand what it is. And it was delightfully funny and great and amazing. Like the I was lucky that the guy who was playing Headwig at the production I saw was incredible, and I just I thought the whole thing was great.
Speaker 2: It's I love that it's it's kind of more like a concert sometimes even going to it. Yeah, I watched the movie before I went to go see the show, and you know, the movie has more of like scenes and plots and things like this, and it was I was like, wait, this isn't what I saw before, but it's great. I love it.
Speaker 4: Question ten, What was the name of the musical in the making from the NBC show Smash Bombshell? Does that anything to do with that movie that came out. What movie the one that's like the Fox News Women, but it's but it's not Fox News because there no one will get sued.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: No, this is it's about Marilyn Monroe.
Speaker 4: Ah, there you go. Question eleven. What pageant title did the character Velma hold in the John Waters based musical Hairspray, Miss Baltimore Crabs. If you say had Miss Baltimore, You're wrong, Jeff, is this.
Speaker 1: One of your favorite musicals?
Speaker 4: Or yes.
Speaker 2: I've actually been in this show twice, two different productions. Both times I played Edna Edna's Edna's Yeah so. Think of Harvey Firestein, you know when he played on Broadway, Yeah so? And John Travolta completely messed it up when he did it in the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been in this I've been in it twice. I can I know every line back and forward, and if I if you put me in a fat suit and address right now, like I could go on stage. I'm ready. I've got a little line still memorized. I know all the songs I could. I could do the whole thing. I didn't have to do much dancing because you know, she doesn't dance much in there, so I just let the girls dance around me. You know, I just look look pretty like I do.
Speaker 3: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: I really like that music. It's one of those weird music. I really like it, but I don't actually know it that well, Like I don't know why. And I love the song good Morning Baltimore, and it'll get stuck in my head, but I only know the good Morning Baltimore part, and then I'm just like, I don't know the lyrics. It's not just sing that over and over again in my head.
Speaker 4: Question twelve, which Broadway musical, features two songs titled Somebody Kill Me and Grow Old with You from the original movie. It was based on the wedding singer.
Speaker 2: I was in a production of this show as well. I hate talking about myself, but I was in a production. I played George, So if you don't know who George is, it's from the movie. He was the one that played the do you really want to Hurt Me? Like that played but instead of instead of playing the keyboard, they got me a guitar, so I like kind of walked around and I played the guitar and I had like glitter in my pockets and I threw it up. Yeah, and I did that in the movie. He does like a trombone solo. Like, so I picked up like a trumpet and I was like, I just played notes that came out and it was I pretended like I was playing in a symphony. It was, Oh my god, it was so much fun.
Speaker 1: That sounds amazing. Can we have a time machine in Wachsack because it sounds so good?
Speaker 2: I haven't a video. I'll set it to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Actually, I have most of the shows on video except for Hairspray, the one I've done twice, and I don't have one video for it. Just kidding MTI. I don't have any videos we never recorded. And now it's time for your third Bang Bang question. We'll have thirty seconds to answer the following question. There are eleven brothers mentioned in Joseph and the Amazing technicol Or dream Coat. Name them. Your time starts.
Speaker 3: Now, Yeah, and that's time.
Speaker 1: The name of the eleven brothers are Ruben, Simeon, Levi, Naphthali, isaacr Asher, dan Zebulon Zebulon Zebulin.
Speaker 2: I'll correct them all at the end.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, Zebulon, Dad, Benjamin and Judah. Hey, one of these things is not get out of your Dan, all right, so you know the software comes from and how to say them. Also, go for it. Jeff sings a little Diddy or Sam Well, it'd.
Speaker 2: Be very It's a little long because there's like some music in between the names. But so the you got Reuben, you got Simeon Levi, and it's Naphthali. It's a car Asher.
Speaker 1: Dan oh I said.
Speaker 2: Zebulin, Gad, Benjamin and Judah.
Speaker 1: I think Zebulun should come back as a name.
Speaker 2: That's what I'll name my next child. Actually, my child's name is in this list. Can you guys s which one?
Speaker 1: Benjamin, I want to say Napthally, No.
Speaker 2: It's actually Dan. His name is Daniel.
Speaker 1: So he does not belong on this list. I mean he's he does not belong to the one that's like sticks out on the list of like that's too normal.
Speaker 4: Dan.
Speaker 2: There was no dance in the Bible way I guess there.
Speaker 1: Were because he's the one who sings about all the colors on his coat. Right, He's like there's gold and there's blue, and there's green, and there's yellow, and.
Speaker 2: There's this oh do I have to do this one? Red and yellow and green and brown and purple and black and okra and peach and ruby and olive and violet and fawn and chocolate in mob and cream and crimson and silver and gold and rusted and azure and lemon and gray and pink and purple and white and orange and blue.
Speaker 1: W were you in this one?
Speaker 4: Damn?
Speaker 1: And were you not? Sally?
Speaker 4: I was?
Speaker 2: I was Levi when I was one of the brothers, but I also was the pharaoh, so I got to do the impersonation, you know. Oh yeah, I was wandering, you know that one?
Speaker 3: So all right?
Speaker 1: Round four. Question thirteen. The December twentieth, twenty ten performance of which musical was stopped mid performance because one of the actors fell thirty feet off a set piece and into the orchestra pits. Question fourteen. How many daughters does Tevia have? In the musical Fiddler on the Roof? Question fifteen? What is the name given to a person who is prepared to step into multiple ensemble rolls? Question sixteen? Ain't misbehavior is a musical review featuring the songs of what musician?
Speaker 3: And now?
Speaker 1: The answer is to Round four Question thirteen, which musical was stopped mid performance because one of the actors fell thirty feet off a set piece into the orchestra. Pits spider Man, Turn Off the Dark. This musical had a lot of stories like that, like a lot of injuries, a lot of bad luck around this show.
Speaker 2: I mean, of course it did. You have people flying across over over the audience, and you have you know, cables, You've got like drunk people backstage. Like there was so many things that happened during this that I was like, I can't believe that they still went on. But I imagine it's one of those because it was directed by Julie Taymoor, so she did all of the big Disney stuff, and I would imagine it was like, no, I still have to do this because I'm I'm this huge person on Broadway. And I don't think it made a lot of money. Yeah, it could be wrong, but it just see I think it closed really early and everybody was like, no, there's too much injury going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I think people were just like, I don't let not see this show where actors might die.
Speaker 2: I tried to find a YouTube clip of the actual you know, as the actual because there was something on there, but for some reason I couldn't find like it was like grade out, not great out, but like it was a fuzzy video and you couldn't really tell what was going on anyway. But I was like, somebody was bootleg recording in the audience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you too do the music for that one?
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 2: I don't know if the whole YouTube did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I don't Yeah, I don't know if it was all of it, but but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they did some of it because I feel like they were like, maybe we'll stop this production, and then YouTube was like no, no, no, we'll rework the songs and keep pumping money into it. I think they were involved.
Speaker 4: I don't know they tried. Bless their hearts.
Speaker 1: Question fourteen, how many daughters does Tevia have in the musical Fiddler on the Roof five? And how many of them married? The man that Tevia wants them to.
Speaker 3: Marry zero.
Speaker 1: Because he keeps having that song come back where he's like, well, okay, I still love him. Tell the last one. Then he's like, no, get out of here.
Speaker 4: And then the story and then the musical Rags starts.
Speaker 1: The musical Rag starts and then everyone starts snapping their fingers. Question fifteen, what is the name to a given person who's prepared to step into multiple ensemble rolls?
Speaker 3: Swing?
Speaker 1: Jeff, have you ever been a swing person?
Speaker 2: I've never been a swing person. I've been an understudy. So there's a difference between the two. So the understudy like will go on for a main role, but the swing like, I don't know how they do it. You have to know every single ensemble person's blocking and dancing, and if they have small amount of lines like any of that, you have to be able to go on in a moment's notice. So it's like you never know where you're going to be, you know, one night. I think that sometimes they do, like because they know if there's something planned, like they can go on for that and that you know, that night or that performance or whatever. But I think that would just be way too nerve wracking for me. I would forget which person I was and I'm like, wait, no, I'm not this person today. No, I'm in the I'm not even in this scene, like you have this sage like, I'm not even in the show. What am I doing here?
Speaker 4: Yeah? And they're like, sir, this is South Pacific. You could be like, Okay, good morning Annapolis.
Speaker 1: Then question sixteen eight Misbehavior is a musical review featuring the songs of what musician Thomas Fats Waller. I don't know much about that musical. I know its Behaving is a great song, but I haven't seen this one.
Speaker 2: I know that the original Broadway cast included mel Carter. She was on the show Give Me a Break in the eighties, and she's got a very unique sounding voice when you when you listen to her sing. But a lot of these songs from the show are kind of like jazz numbers or they're blues, you know, kind of. But then there's some like some rag Time songs and I don't know show that's secretly just time, that's secretly rag Time.
Speaker 4: What's the plot of Ragtime? And then I'd love it if you all just answered, Well, these two kids from rival families love each other.
Speaker 1: The one's part of the Jets and one's part of the Sharks.
Speaker 4: And they fall in love with a phantom. There's just one show that bounces around Broadway.
Speaker 6: It just starts at different points in the plug and they all include a song about a dame.
Speaker 1: There's nothing like one, and that's it for the regular rounds, which means it's time for the Big Bang Round. We will give you three clue questions, which are all hints to one final question.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: Question one, What nineteen sixty Learner and Low musical marked the Broadway debut of Robert Gula?
Speaker 1: Question two? What English actor originated the role of doctor Frankenfurter in the nineteen seventy five Broadway musical The Rocky Horror Show?
Speaker 4: Question three? What two thousand musical centers around a group of unemployed steel mill workers turned strippers in Buffalo, New York?
Speaker 2: And your final Big Bang question which two thousand and five Broadway show's creators were sued for additional royalties by one of the producers of the original movie from which the musical was based.
Speaker 1: And now the answers to the Big Bang Round.
Speaker 2: Question one. What nineteen sixty Learner and Low musical marked the Broadway debut of Robert Goulay. It's Camelot.
Speaker 1: I love the musical Camelot. I mean I've only seen the movie and it's real goofy, But I get joy out of that goofy movie. Yeah, MARBARAA. Yes. Richard Burton and read Vanessa Red. Question two. One English actor originated the role of doctor Frankenfurter in the nineteen seventy five Broadway musical The Rocky Horror Show, Tim Curry. That's I did that in college, the like act the show out in front of I had never heard of it. I didn't know that that was a thing that people did, like, perform the show in front of the screen. I was like, that sounds weird and dumb. But then someone asked me to do it, and you know, you know how it is when you're an actor. You're like, yes, you watched me on stage. Yes, of course, what is this? Sounds weird and dumb? But I'll be on stage, okay?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 4: Question three? What two thousand musical centers around a group of unemployed steel mill workers turned strippers in Buffalo, New York? The Full Monty all.
Speaker 2: Right, and Your Big Bang question which two thousand and five Broadway shows creators were sued for additional royalties by one of the producers of the original movie from which the musical was based. It is a spoof of the show Camelot. The original Broadway production starred Tim Curry, and it was written by the members of Monty Python. The answer is spamalot.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I thought for some reason I heard in the news that when this came out that John Cleece sued Eric Idol over this musical. But when you wrote this question and looking into it, it was actually a guy called mister Forstarter claimed he was entitled to one seventh of this figure, the same share enjoyed by each of the other pythons, but was told he was only entitled to one fourteenth and has been paid accordingly since two thousand and five. And then it went on to say, mister Forrestarter is in difficult financial circumstances and has been forced to bring these proceedings. And it was just like, well, just him being broke doesn't justify, you know, like his argument. Like maybe they're like, no, he's not a bad guy. Don't be mad at the guy pursuing the pythons. I'm like, if you were just a producer on a movie and they went on and like decided to do this musical and you're getting money from it, even if it's only one fourteenth, I'd be pretty psyched because I'd be like, yeah, this movie, now I'm getting musical money out of nowhere. This is pretty sweet.
Speaker 4: What did the dude have to do with the production.
Speaker 1: He was a producer on the movie Swondy Python and the Holy Grail.
Speaker 2: Okay, I was reading too that he the agreement that they had wasn't even anything in writing. It was like them sitting around in a room saying, oh, yeah, we're gonna split it in seven ways and do this other thing. And I'm like, I don't know, like anybody can claim like, oh, yeah, we were just sitting around, but you know, six of us were actually pretty famous, and the seventh guy is you know, like I was there too.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think he tried to claim that he helped write the movie and they were like, no, no, you didn't. Like, that's not how our writing process worked. We're you know, And I'm just like yeah. And so Michael Palin, Eric Idol, and Terry Jones all went to court against him, and I'm like, dude, you're not going to win this court case. Like it's just not going to happen. I don't know. I love I love Monty Python. So I'm like, how dare you? I love them and you leave them alone even though they all have plenty of money.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad that I wrote that question. I'd be quite that fad. I didn't realize that so.
Speaker 1: So good times. I love that show. I love musicals. Thanks for doing this, Jeff, Thank you, Jeff, Jeff all time favorite musical.
Speaker 2: My number one, all time favorite musical. See this is why I wrote this, because I have all of my favorite ones in there, so believe it or not, I love title of show. That's the weird one that nobody knows. But I was like that. I actually I directed that. My husband was in it. There was no nepotism involved, and he actually auditioned for it and was the best one for the role. So and his the character's name is Jeff. So it was really weird. So you know, every time somebody said Jeff, we didn't know which one he was referring to. Jeff, so then they had to say director Jeff or character Jeff. So but like Hairspray is my favorite, you know, one of my favorite musicals. God, I just I love musical. I mean, Hamilton was Hamilton was great. I have some good memories. It's more of the memories of going to see it with a group of friends, and you know, we have we have a lot of those memories we do. We're kind of nerds. We go every year to a friend's cottage and it's kind of it's it's by lake and there's not really Wi Fi or anything around. There's no neighbors too close or anything like that. So we fill our time by doing jigsaw puzzles and so like when I go, we do like the last one that we did, it's I bought this so that we all could do it. It's the Broadway musicals.
Speaker 3: It's like one of those I love that.
Speaker 2: And then I had it framed. I had all of our friends that help put it together, like secretly, like you know, put their initials somewhere in there, so like, you know, thirty years from now, when I go and look, i'd be like, and then I signed my name, my own name on Edna, So because I was Edna twice.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're nerds. So's that's what we do.
Speaker 1: Well, that is amazing. I love it. Well. This episode was so much fun. We hope everyone enjoyed it and got to nerd out on musical goodness. Jeff, thank you so much for doing this episode and writing such a great episode.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. For having me. Oh my god, this was so much fun. I've been wanting to do this since I was a child, wanting.
Speaker 1: To be at quiz Quiz since your child.
Speaker 2: I have been wanting to be at quizz since I was a child, many many years ago.
Speaker 1: And if you want more fun access to Quiz Quiz Bang Bang episodes, you can find everything our social media and past episodes and how to contact us with your own fun questions at quizbangpod dot com. And for this episode of Quiz Quiz Bang Bang, I've been Annie Flora, I've.
Speaker 4: Been David Flora. Look you is This is actually kind of surprising to me because I'm familiar with the British version more than I didn't. I didn't know it was a Buffalo, New York based Yeah.
Speaker 1: I associated with Britain too because of the movie. You know, a very excellent movie that has the guy who ends up being in Game of Thrones as the king as one of the guys and Robert, Yeah, Robert Barrathian is one of the steel mill workers in this movie. Guess what what you were in the show.
Speaker 2: I was in the show.
Speaker 4: Did you play Robert b.
Speaker 6: Thrones?
Speaker 2: I was at the Red wedding no, and theur No, I was in the full Monty and yes, we went the full Monty on stage. I can't I can't believe. I was completely had no clothes on, completely naked up on stage. It's but it's so well done that you like the way the audience can't see anything because you we're backlit, you know, kind of like they do in the movie too. So but I also had to get over body issues because I played the fat guy who kept saying, oh, you're I'm too fat to do this. I don't want to do this, and you know, then my wife in the show is like, oh, but you should do it, you know, and he has a lot of self esteem and body issues and he ends up coming out of it at the end and everybody's happy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is.
Speaker 1: The character Robert Barathian played.
Speaker 2: It is it is the character that Robert Barathian played, the same one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, that's great. I love I haven't seen the stage I think to see the stage version would be such a hoot. Yeah, but the movie's so great, So yeah, I can't imagine. I'm sure, like because I'm sure the audience reaction at the end when you guys do that moment is always crazy and you know, like big reaction chears.
Speaker 2: I assume we actually we actually had a one of our preview nights. We did Ladies' night out and they had like cocktails and they had a vertical exercise pole in the lobby and they had vertical exercise pole. Instructor come and show people how to use the vertical exercise pole. It was that was quite an amusing night. So but that was it was nice because you know, then you have a whole bunch of you know, drunk women out in the audience and they were really rowdy, and it was like, you know, we were doing a preview, so it was like, okay, how is this going to go over? And it was it got rid of all the nerves that we had and we're like, yeah, completely be maked on stage. I don't care. These ladies are loving it.
Speaker 4: My gosh, how do you have that in the lobby with like bachelorette parties and stuff. Somebody is going to break their name, right, who did you play? Which character did you play in Thunder from down Under? Jeff right?
Speaker 2: When I was when I was an Aussie at that time.
Speaker 4: I know me and some other blokes
Speaker 2: Mean some of the blokes