Speaker 1: Between two thousand seven and two thousand nine, women began disappearing from Cleveland's Mount Pleasant neighborhood. They were mothers, daughters, and friends, and they were also people living in the marchants of society, people whose absences unfortunately rarely made headlines. Then, in October of two thousand nine, a single escape led police to a house where a search quickly turned into a nightmare, with gruesome secrets hidden throughout the home, revealing years of violence that had unfolded behind an ordinary front door. The man responsible, Anthony Sewell, had committed the most prolific serial murder case in Cleveland's history, and soon he would be known only as a deadly moniker. This is the story of the Cleveland Strangler.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and.
Speaker 1: Grim, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 2: Warning.
Speaker 1: The following podcast material intended more mature audience. Listener discretion is advised. If you've listened to our show for a little while, you know we're hockey fans and we've been following the Olympics. So I want to first of all congratulate everyone for the performance in the Olympics so far this year. But I primarily want to just say a big shout out and congratulations to the Canadian women's hockey team who got silver in the Olympics, and of course the American team who got gold. There's a lot of pressure on the women's Canadian team to get that gold, so they looked a little disappointed on the.
Speaker 2: Ice, but you should never be disappointed by getting a silver and the frickin' Olympic exactly, I get it, exactly.
Speaker 1: I mean, they went all that way to lose the last round, so that is disappointing of course for them, I understand, but they still achieved an incredible thing. So congratulations. As a Canadian, I'm proud of their performance. Yeah, they did amazing.
Speaker 2: And congratulations to the US, yes, who won the gold. Better not be like that for the men's though, I'm just kidding, just kidding.
Speaker 1: Regardless, we're having fun watching hockey and actually we're recording this right now as Canada. The men's team is playing Finland. Finland is currently up to zero, so hopefully we make it to the gold medal. If not, Finland will then be going to the gold medal round. But either way, we're on the edge of our seats. With this whole Olympic thing. And I'm not sure if you guys are too, but you should definitely get into hockey. That's I recommendation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is cool. I mean yeah, just watching it. No matter how while your country does right, it's still pretty neat and it's cool that they made it.
Speaker 1: There supporting your athletes. Like we've been watching curling and stuff. I've watched a little bit of figure skating, a little bit of bob sled. I've been wanting to watch luge, but I haven't got to that. Biathlon's another one I saw a little bit of, but not a whole lot. But still it's so cool to see.
Speaker 2: Well. Yeah, and the dog that was, oh, probably my favorite part of the Olympics so far.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, there's the two highlights of the Olympics as far as the Internet is concerned. That's the Canadian men's team on curling poking the rock and second, the dog crossing a finish line over a ski race.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The dog's name was Nasgul reportedly by the way, and.
Speaker 2: It just looked like it was living its best life. Yeah, and that was freaking amazing.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. But I think we should get on with this case. But Canada did just score against Finland, so what's two to one right now? But anyways, I digress. Let's get onto this.
Speaker 2: Story, shall we, Yes, let's do it.
Speaker 1: So. Late October has a certain rhythm to it. Of course, there are spooky things like pumpkins, candy, and maybe even a scary movie or two. But the days also feel shorter without anyone really noticing at first, Jackets begin to come out of the closets, you know, breath hangs in the air for a second longer than they did in the mornings, and people move a little faster with their hands tucked in their pockets for warmth. Most days even pass quietly, work errands, small conversations that don't last very long. Whatever it may be, one thing is certain. Life moves forward in ordinary pieces, each moment small enough to forget by the end of the day, and before you know it, your entire surroundings have changed. You know, something like a tree that was once full of leaves, and in a blink of an eye you know it now is standing there bare No one knows which day will matter Like this, life simply moves on now. In this case, it was just another week another stretch of hours where people are focused on their own lives, trying to stay warm, but trying to get by, and you know, not thinking too far ahead. Somewhere nearby in the autumn air in this story, a phone rang, someone was making a call for help, and suddenly, just like that, an ordinary day isn't ordinary anymore. All those small details, well, they seemed significant, and everything seemed like it changed. It was in East Cleveland, Ohio, in October twentieth of two thousand and nine. Someone had dialed nine to one pint one and reported that a woman outside a house on Imperial Avenue was laying on the ground. She was injured, confused, and struggling to stay conscious. They said she'd fallen or even possibly jumped, from a second story window of the home. Police and paramedics were quickly dispatched to the scene, and when they arrived, with their flashing lights splashing across the surrounding homes, that neighborhood quickly turned into a serious crime scene. The woman was badly hurt, she could barely speak, and with her body shaking from pain and shock, she tried to explain what had just happened inside the house behind her officers moved quickly, first focusing on her injuries, trying to understand whether this was an accident, an assault, or something else entirely. But the woman told them that she'd been inside the home with a man and at some point things turned violent, so she jumped from the window. She said it was the only way she thought she could escape. Now, the house in question behind her looked ordinary enough, white siding, There's a narrow porch and a kind of aging three story home that just blended in with the older buildings in the neighborhood. Others were boarded up, some lived in. You know, they're all packed tightly close together. Now, officers had been called to this area before. Drug activity wasn't uncommon, arguments, assaults, people coming and going at odd hours. It was all the kind of place where things happened, and most people kept moving, minding their own business. At the time, it looked just like another disturbing call in a city that saw way too many of these disturbing incidents. But what police didn't know was that the house at one two two h five Imperial Avenue had already been holding secrets for years. But before we dive down that rabbit hole, we first need to take a step back and talk about a man named Anthony Edward Sewell. Now. Anthony was born on August nineteenth, nineteen fifty nine, and he grew up in East Cleveland, Ohio, and he came from a large family. The household he grew up in was crowded, chaotic, and, according to later accounts from some relatives, was deeply troubled too. Stories from family members described an environment filled with violence and abuse. As a teenager, Anthony eventually left that home behind and he joined the United States Marine Corps. He enlisted in January of nineteen seventy eight at eighteen years old, and over the next seven years he served as an electrician, completing training at Paris Island and Camp I'm going to get this wrong, but I'm going to try Camp led you in before being stationed at multiple bases, including assignments in Japan and Okinawa too. Now, his service records showed there was steady performance, There were commendments, there were deployment ribbons, and a discharge in January of nineteen eighty five. After leaving the military, Anthony returned to Ohio. He worked jobs from here and kept a low profile blending into the neighborhood that he lived in. But in nineteen eighty nine, the normal life that he seemed to be living, well, it all changed. That year, a young pregnant woman went to Anthony's home. Now, according to court records, what began as a normal visit quickly turned violent when she tried to leave because Anthony, well, he refused to let her leave. Prosecutors later said that he restrained her, tying her hands and feet, gagging her so she couldn't call for help. And now, during this assault, he choked her with enough force that she later told police the feeling of her body going numb, and she believed she was going to die right then and there.
Speaker 2: And this is a pregnant woman, correct, Holy frick? Why the hell was she there? Were they friends?
Speaker 1: We'll get into kind of some of the why people visit his home.
Speaker 2: Okay, but gosh, I couldn't imagine just harming a pregnant woman like that. That's next level.
Speaker 1: He's a serious predator, to say the least. Yeah, so people do. I'll tell you a little bit now, but we'll go into deeper detail. People do visit his home. He kind of lures people in with a friendly facade and also drugs, alcohol, that sort of thing. So it's kind of a hangout place with perks.
Speaker 2: O okay, I see now.
Speaker 1: Thankfully though she survived this attack, but it did lead to some charges of kidnapping, rape, and attempted rape on this woman.
Speaker 2: Like he raped her. Correct, Holy frig yeah.
Speaker 1: As I said, he's a serious predator. Okay, he's a monster. Yeah now. In nineteen ninety, Anthony pled guilty to attempted rape and was sentenced to prison. As a result, he would spend the next fifteen years behind bars, and when he was released in two thousand and five, he returned to Cleveland as a Tier three registered sex offender, the highest tier which requires regular check ins with law enforcement. So as a result, officers conducted periodic like knock and talk visits to make sure that everything was good and to confirm he was living where he claimed to live so they can kind of keep track of him. But because he wasn't on parole or probation, they didn't have authority to enter his home without a warrant, so it was basically just talk to the front door check ins at the front door. They couldn't go beyond that.
Speaker 2: Threshold, which is really nothing like anyone could just stand at their front door and hide shit that's going on in their house.
Speaker 1: For sure, But the very least they know where he is. That's the key detail. Because if he's like, oh, I'm living at this address, and all of a sudden they realize, you know, he's living beside a woman's shelter over by an elementary school with a sex offender, that's a no no. Yeah, so they need to make sure they're at least keeping track of him. Yeah scenario.
Speaker 2: This case is probably going to just piss me off because I'm just sitting here and being like, well, this shouldn't even be an issue because we're having to like monitor who's every freaking move or whatever. Just leave him in jail if he's this much of like a concern to society. But anyway, I digress, keep going.
Speaker 1: I feel you there, don't worry now. Anthony had moved into a shared apartment house. It was a three story house at one two two oh five Imperial Avenue. He lived in the top couple floors. It was a property that was owned by his stepmother. Neighbors later described him as polite, outgoing and even helpful. He talked to people on his front porch. Sometimes he hosted barques and blended in with everyone in the neighborhood. He worked factory jobs for a while before collecting unemployment and making money selling scrap metal. To most people around him, he was just another man trying to get by. But while the neighborhood saw someone friendly and familiar, the history behind him, the violent sex offender, the prison sentence, the assault, the all of it. That's what was the truth. It was a facade hiding the truth. Now. The Mount Pleasant neighborhood, where he lived in Cleveland's East Side, wasn't a place where people stopped to ask too many questions, which have kind of already alluded to. By the late two thousands, the area was struggling pretty hard. Many homes were aging or abandoned, jobs were scarce, and drug activity was considered part of the daily life here. Crack cocaine, or crack as it's typically called, move through neighborhoods openly. People drifted in and out, and friends, acquaintances, strangers were all looking for places to stay or away to get high. It was a kind of environment. Routines were per weren't exactly predictable, and disappearances didn't always trigger immediate alarms. It's a place with people living on the margins of society, and often they unfortunately don't get the immediate attention for their disappearances that they should. Now, some women would go missing for days or weeks and later return, you know, back to normal. Others bounced between family members, homes, shelters, or the streets. Addictions made lives unstable, and families often found themselves searching on their own when someone stopped answering calls, so police would often assume that this would be the case for everyone. Now, this made police and residents not always trust each other. Families later said that they struggled to get missing persons reports taken seriously, especially when their loved ones were known to use drugs or had criminal records. In many cases, officers assumed people would come back when they were ready. That was a situation. Oh they're not missing, they'll just come back.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We do hear that a lot, and it is sad for sure.
Speaker 1: And that atmosphere created a lot of gaps, gaps where people could disappear quietly. And it's a story that we've discussed many times on this show. You know, that unfortunate situation, and it is a problem, unfortunately, that we still struggle with today in many societies in North America.
Speaker 2: Well, something you know sometimes is seriously wrong and then it's just not getting the attention that it needs exactly and then it gets worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, I did say in North America, and I do think this is actually a global problem. But yeah, I digress. Now, Anthony fit comfortably into the neighborhood's rhythm. He was known simply as Tone, you know, Anthony and Tony Tone.
Speaker 2: Oh okay.
Speaker 1: Neighbors remembered him as kind, but inside the house things were different. The property was cluttered, it was dirty, filled with trash, old furniture, and it was, to say the least, it was far from clean. There was also a heavy odor that drifted from the home to something neighbors actually complained about repeatedly, but they never knew the source. They never knew it was coming from his home. Now, for the women struggling with addiction, Anthony's house offered something immediate. There was alcohol, there was drugs, there was a place to stay, maybe someone who even seemed friendly enough to trust, and for some of them, that was all. It took the conditions around him, you know, poverty, addiction, unstable housing, and the community used to chaos. It created the perfect cover for him. People came and went constantly, no one kept track of who was last seen where, And it was in May of two thousand and seven that this setting allowed for a woman named Crystal Dozier to disappear. Crystal was thirty eight years old and she was a mother of seven. Yes, that's right, she had seven kids. She was known around the neighborhood as someone who looked out for others. She was described as responsible and caring, the kind of person who tried to keep everyone together. But like many people in Mount Pleasant, her life had become very complicated by a dick, especially after she had endured some personal loss and a routine wasn't always predictable. When she stopped showing up, her family noticed and they reported her missing and started searching on their own, putting up flyers, calling hospitals, trying to track down anyone who might have seen her. Now, Crystal had gone missing before and eventually resurfaced, which made it harder to convince others that something was seriously wrong this time. Now there was no reason to connect this to Anthony. He lived quietly on Imperial Avenue, socializing with neighbors, keeping a low profile, maybe even throwing a barbecue. Women came and went from his house regularly, sure, often for drugs or alcohol, but that didn't stand out in the neighborhood. Investigators would later learn, though, that this was how he approached many of his victims. He offered a drink, a place to relax, drugs, sometimes even just a conversation. The encounters started casually, with little reason for anyone to feel any sort of immediate danger. But what happened after they entered that house, well that was another story. Now. Crystal's disappearance didn't spark a major investigation at the time. There were no obvious signs of violence, no witnesses stepping forward, no immediate evidence pointing to a crime scene, without a body, without clear leads, the case faded into just another missing person's report in a neighborhood where people often slipped through those cracks. But inside the house on Imperial Avenue, though Anthony had discovered he could kill without ever being noticed. In two thousand and eight, women in the area began vanishing one after another, each disappearance, again slipping into the background noise of a struggling neighborhood. Tashana Culver disappeared next. She was a mother who spent years trying to rebuild stability in her life. She was described as generous, someone who shared food with people who had less than she did. But like many others, she struggled with drugs and sometimes drifted away from family for stretches of time. So when she stopped coming around, people worried, but there was no immediate sign of foul play. A few months later, Lashonda Long vanished. She was only twenty five, the youngest of the eventual victims. She was strong willed and outspoken, and she was known for her attitude and energy. Her disappearance was the same like the others, didn't immediately raise any red flags beyond those closest to her.
Speaker 2: But also, there's three now in a fairly short period of.
Speaker 1: Time, exactly. But the thing is, you have authority saying, well, they'll just come back.
Speaker 2: Well that's the hope, I guess that's the hope.
Speaker 1: But they have a history of leaving for weeks on end and coming back. They have a history of drugs, criminal behavior, so as far as the police are concerned, they'll just come back.
Speaker 2: I mean, maybe one or two I get, but when there is three, it's like, no, we got to look into this.
Speaker 1: In my thought, oh no, I'm with you hundred percent. I'm just trying to paint the picture for the authorities here. Yeah, trust me, you're right, there's a pattern. Police need to fucking do something. But to them, it's just another person who will be back within days. It's another person who is just off doing drugs. They'll be back. It's not worth tying up our time.
Speaker 2: Basically they're off on a bender or something. And they exactly, yeah.
Speaker 1: We know, because in hindsight, there are three people who are missing right now. Maybe at the time, this is just my speculation. Maybe at the time there's another three people who did return in a few days who are also missing, who were just on venders.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, and they might not have, like you know, tied them together to see the pattern either.
Speaker 1: So, and you also have to consider the fact of were they actually reported to police. You have families who might be concerned, but maybe the families thought they'd be back to Maybe the families couldn't trust the police because of this history so there's more than just well, there's three people missing. You to look into it. Yeah, don't get me wrong, you're right, but there's a little more to it than that.
Speaker 2: Well, and it probably will very much. It comes out clear later, you know, Like at the time it's like, maybe not super alarming, but really after the fact, yes, it was exactly.
Speaker 1: And now these disappearances too, they're over the course of the next two years, so they are being spread out a bit as well. Next came Michelle Mason. She had spent time away from Cleveland, living in New York and New Jersey before returning home. Her family did file a missing person's report when she stopped hearing when they stopped hearing from her, but progress on that was unfortunately slow. Friends said that she had been trying to turn her life around despite struggling with her addiction. By late two thousand and eight, Tanya Carmichael also disappeared. She had once worked as a medical secretary and bartender, earning a professional license and raising children, but addiction eventually pulled her off course. But people knew her still, and they described her as someone who loved life and cared deeply about her family. But the months just continued to pass, and so did the disappearances. Kim Yvette Smith went missing in early two thousand and nine, just before her forty fourth birthday. She was known as artistic and caring, especially towards her disabled father, whom she helped support. Nancy Cobbs vanished that spring, after her family had spent months searching for them herselves, posting flyers and checking abandoned buildings. Amelda or Amy Hunter disappeared soon after her. She was a beautician, a mother, and someone relatives described as a fighter than Janis Webb, remembered as a family jokester. She stopped coming around, and not long after that, Talasia Forston vanished, just as people close to her believed she was trying to get her life back together.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, this is a lot of people.
Speaker 1: The numbers piled up, and each woman had their own story, their own family, their own history, But investigators eventually would later see the similarities in these disappearances. Most of them were struggling with addiction. Many moved through the same streets and social circles. They were women who might accept an invitation for a drink or drugs, or even a place to stay for a while, and they were all vulnerable in ways that Anthony seemed to understand. Investigators later determined that Anthony luring them in and gaining their trust that's when he struck and he never allowed them to leave his home after. So, yes, you are one hundred percent right, Like investigators need to be more on top of these missing persons reports, but unfortunately they're screening methods, if you will, are flawed and imperfect.
Speaker 2: Yeah well, yeah, I mean we've already said after the fact, it's much easier to figure the stuff out. But this guy was literally in jail for fifteen years being rehabilitated. Heym hm, this shit's happening, yep. Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, most of these women who were going disappearing or disappearing or whatever, they were at the hand of Anthony. I want to make that clear. I'm not trying to hide the storyline right now. These women were victims of Anthony. Most of these women were sexually assaulted too, and they were killed by strangulation.
Speaker 2: Jeez.
Speaker 1: The attacks happened behind closed doors. They were hidden from the neighborhood. The neighborhood that remember had no idea was taking place inside this home. To them, Anthony was just a friendly face, someone to chat to on the front porch, someone who was carrying throwing the neighborhood barbecues.
Speaker 2: Jeez, yeah, he's really able to just like have these two personalities per se exactly. And so the only thing really that people maybe are noticing right now, or the smell that his house stinks.
Speaker 1: They don't even notice its house. It's his house yet. Trust me, I'll get into the smell too. Don't worry, okay now. As the killings continued, the way he had bodies changed. Some victims were concealed inside the home in rooms or in crawl spaces or behind walls. Others were buried in the basement or the backyard, and as space ran out, the methods became more desperate, as the house itself slowly turned into a graveyard, but outside life carried on with no one knowing the truth. The problem was that no signs on their own looked like proof of anything sinister. They existed as separate incidents, complaints, rumors, strange smells, just scattered pieces that never quite formed a complete picture until it was too late, And that most persistent warning was the odor. Neighbors had complained for years about a powerful rotting smell drifting through the block. Some described it as sickening, others that it reminded them of something dead. The smell seemed strongest near Anthony's house, but in a neighborhood filled with old buildings, vacant lots, struggling businesses, people searched for more ordinary explanations. Now just next time door set Raise Sausage Shop, a local meat processing business, which quickly became the assumed source of the smell. City inspectors were called multiple times, and the owners spent large amounts of money trying to correct what they believe was the problem. They were, you know, replacing ventilation systems, adjusting grease traps, even making sewer improvements, but nothing worked. The smell still lingered, and eventually people stopped asking questions. It simply became part of the neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Well, this poor ray guy here, he's probably just like what the fuck Like, I'm I'm not doing anything to create these smells. Yeah, and just people, you know, it stinks like going hard on him.
Speaker 1: It's probably affecting his business.
Speaker 2: Probably did. Yeah, I was just thinking that too. Yeah, well, not selling as many sausages.
Speaker 1: Not only that, the money he's spending on these corrections too, so he's making less money and spending more dah, So he in a certain sense is a victim of the story as well.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because no one with that kind of smell, no one's going to go in there and want to like buy his product promly, right. Sure so.
Speaker 1: Now Anthony himself, though, he did smell bad too, which is something friends and neighbors occasionally mentioned. But again there were explanations that felt easier to accept. He just had poor hygiene or garbage, drugs, the general condition of his house. The list goes on, right, just making up excuses. At the same time, there were warning signs involving law enforcement that, in hindsight, seemed impossible to ignore. Now. As I mentioned, because Anthony was a registered sex offender, officers regularly checked in with him. He was required to report to authorities every few months, and deputies sometime conducted unannounced visits to confirm where he was living as well at his Imperial Avenue address. However, this was limited. Officers had no legal authority to enter his home, so the interactions were limited to just the doorway, you know, brief conversations, routine paperwork, nothing that would reveal what he was hiding inside. Again, the smell, oh well that's coming from next door. No one, they're working on the ventilation or the drainage or the sewer or something like that. So again, even though they're standing at his front door with the smell, it's easily explained away.
Speaker 2: Totally. Yeah, they should honestly be able to have authority to go inside.
Speaker 1: Hey, but he needed to be on parole or something and he wasn't.
Speaker 2: I know, Like, I get that they weren't, but gosh, this it would make this case, for example, a lot easier if they were able to just you know, wander through every so often as well.
Speaker 1: I agree if if they should be able to enter the home of a fucking sex offender, Yeah, they should be able to check in. Let's see in there, you know, because who knows, maybe you can go to another fucking town and collect a person, steal someone, and you're hiding them in there. How many stories have we heard where people with a sex offend or history are hiding people for years in their basement?
Speaker 2: For you, Yeah, like, I mean, I get they want to know where they are and stuff, but really, what how much are you gaining from just going to their front door. I don't feel like it's much at all.
Speaker 1: The checks definitely need to be deeper. You should have the authority to enter their home. Opinion. Now, while these checks did continue, women in the area were reporting violence. Now during the time when women were disappearing. In September of two thousand and eight, a woman later identified as Vanessa Gay told police she had been attacked after going to a house on Imperial Avenue for drugs and alcohol. She described being attacked and sexually assaulted for hours, and she said she barely escaped, but when she was told she needed to come to the station to file those charges, while fear and distrust of the authorities kept her from following through, and so the case while it stalled before it ever really began.
Speaker 2: I'm assuming the plan there was for her not to have ever escaped, though.
Speaker 1: It likely was.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now. Only a few months later, in December of two thousand and eight, another woman, Gladys Wade, flagged down police officers and said a man had tried to rape and kill her. Officers as a result arrested Anthony, but he claimed she had attempted to rob him. Now, both of the individuals had injuries on them, and with conflicting accounts and little physical evidence tying the story together, police released both of them and no long term investigation followed up either. Again, this is bullshit. You have someone with a history of sexual violence and she is saying that he tried to rape me. Something else needs to be fucking done here. Should that alone should be grounds for entering his house if you need a reason. Absolutely, But nothing happened of it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, Yeah, this isn't good at all.
Speaker 1: There were other survivors in this story too, women who escaped or left the house alive but never reported what happened. Some feared retaliation, others were struggling with addiction or homelessness and didn't believe they would be taken seriously. And many of these crimes simply went unreported or unresolved. Each incident viewed alone seems small, but together they formed a pattern. Because nothing was getting to police. It was just going unnoticed. And I don't want to downplay each incident by saying each incident seems small. What I'm trying to say is each incident is one on its own one. You can maybe explain away how police already had done you know what, two different accounts of these individuals. Maybe it's just a domestic dispute that's that, you know what, can't really get too involved.
Speaker 2: But when you look at it as a whole, it's a frickin' problem exactly.
Speaker 1: By two thousand and nine, the house on Imperial Avenue had developed a reputation. Some people avoided it, others still stop by, drawn in by the drugs alcohol in the social atmosphere, Anthony projected to many, he still remained that friendly neighbor, someone who sat in his steps, talked to passers by, and blended into daily life. But the investigation that would finally expose what was happening would not come from a routine check or a long running police theory. It would come from another survivor and the incident that finally forced authorities to look inside the house for the first time. One evening in the fall of two thousand and nine, a woman named Latundra Billips went to Anthony's house. She knew him casually, and she later said that they spent time drinking and smoking crack together, and at one point, according to her account, while they were doing so, his demeanor changed quickly without warning. He suddenly became violent, hitting her and sexually assaulting her. She said that he strangled her with an extension court until she lost consciousness and she was convinced that she was going to die, But when she woke up hours later, she realized she had somehow survived and that she was still alive now. The assault had left her badly injured, though she did make it out, and she went to the hospital the following morning, where a sexual assault nurse examiner performed a rape kit and she spoke with police. She expected investigators to follow up quickly, but days passed, then weeks. According to later reportings, officers said they struggled to locate her, and because of her unstable lifestyle and addiction, it was difficult to communicate and attempts to meet up with her were missed. It wasn't until October twenty seventh, more than a month after the attack, that her official report was finally taken and detectives moved forward with it. It took some time, but they were taking it seriously. Two days later, police obtained an arrest warrant for Anthony Sowell, but just before police officers got that warrant, someone else found themselves in Anthony's path. On October twentieth, a woman named Sean Morris went to Anthony's home. She later said the evening started casually with drinks and conversation, and the next morning, when she tried to leave well, Anthony attacked her. He viciously beat and sexually assaulted her, then began locking the doors and the windows all throughout the house. In that moment, she realized she wasn't going to be allowed to leave, so in a desperate attempt to survive, she saw an opening and she jumped from a window on the upper floor of the house, falling roughly thirty feet to the ground below.
Speaker 2: Good for her, Like, you have to be pretty dang scared and desperate to jump out of a window right to get away from the situation that you're in pure survival, Yeah, Like, because that's gonna that's probably most likely going to injure you, but like it's going to save your freaking life too.
Speaker 1: So yep.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: Witnesses passing by called nine one one after seeing her injured on the ground. She had suffered multiple broken bones and serious trauma, and when paramedics arrived, Anthony was also there, who was naked by the way for I don't know why, but he reportedly tried to convince them that she was his wife and that she had fallen accidentally while they were having sex.
Speaker 2: Okay, this game is over, buddy, Like you need to just shut the fuck up, and like you're caught.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Sean was terrified and severely injured, and she initially told police a version of events that kind of protected Anthony, but later she told them that she did this because even with police there, she still feared that Anthony would kill her even if she told the truth. Now, Anthony wasn't arrested because of this incident, but it certainly helped put the focus on him for investigators. When Letundra Billips was assaulted, that that's when the focus was on him. So they were already looking at him when this incident happened, and the plan was straightforward to execute the search warrant, arrest Anthony, and search the home for evidence related to the assault, including the cl clothing an extension cord Latundra described being used to choker so on the evening of October twenty ninth, two thousand and nine, two days after Latundra's assault incident, and nine days after Sean Morris's assault incident, police officers arrived at one two to two five Imperial Avenue expecting to make a straightforward arrest. The plan was for a SWAT team to enter first, secure the house, and arrest Anthony if he was inside. Detectives would follow behind and search for evidence connected to the assault, and just before seven pm officers moved in. The house was a three story structure divided by two apartments, Anthony living in the upstairs unit, which occupied the second and third floors. As officers entered, bags were piled through the rooms, Dirty clothes covered the floors, Buckets were used as makeshift toilets that sat in the corner, despite a functioning bathroom being present in the house, and there was a smell that went all throughout. Several officers later described it as overwhelming, a heavy, rotting odor that grew stronger the higher they climbed in the home. Even seasoned officers struggled to work through it. They continued clearing rooms methodically, moving floor by floor, room by room, calling out as they went, but Anthony wasn't there. When officers reached the top floor, they found a small room sitting with its windows covered in black plastic blocking most of the light come from coming inside, and the door it was locked. Believing Anthony might be hiding inside this room, officers forced it open and entered with weapons drawn, and at first they only saw shadows, but as their eyes adjusted to the dark light and flashlights swept the room, the shapes on the floor came into focus. There were two bodies laying side by side, partially covered in plastic and surrounded by beer cans and cigarette butts. Both were badly decomposed. Officers immediately backed out of the room, realizing they were no longer dealing with a simple sexual assault investigation, that this house was now a homicide scene. As teams began securing the area, another group searched the basement and they radioed upstairs. Beneath a set of stairs they had found what looked like a freshly disturbed patch of dirt and a black plastic protruding from it. It was clear they were going to be finding multiple bodies here. Homicide detectives and crime scene technicians were soon called into the home, and they arrived shortly after eight pm. The house was sealed off with crime scene tape as investigators began documenting every inch. The county coroner's office was also called in, but the condition of the bodies made immediate identification impossible. Side neighbors gathered behind police lines, watching as stretchers were carried out with body bags, and rumors spread quickly, and many assumed that one of the dead was Anthony himself, but the reality, of course, was he was still missing and these were his victims. Inside the basement, investigators carefully removed layers of dirt beneath the stairs. They uncovered another body, wrapped bound and partially buried. The next morning, investigators returned with additional resources, including FBI kadaver dogs. The dogs immediately alerted investigators to areas that hadn't yet been fully examined. On the third floor, officers discovered a crawl space behind patched drywall. Outside. The dogs led investigators into the backyard and another body was found buried in dirt and additional remains stuffed into garbage bags. Freshly disturbed soil near the steps also caught their attention, and one body was found, then another. Over the following hours and days, investigators continued uncover remains buried in those shallow graves inside the house. They also discovered a skull wrapped in paper and placed inside a bucket. What had started as a search for evidence in a sexual assault case had now turned into something almost unimaginable. By the time investigators finished searching the property, eleven women had been found dead in and around the home.
Speaker 2: Oh this is just nasty, right, I A can't even believe someone could like live in this type of situation, and grant you have friends wanting to come over into this to get new victims, and just like, I don't know, just the audacity that he thinks that I mean, yeah, he got I was going to say the audacity that he got away with all this, but he did for so long he did.
Speaker 1: But as far as like inviting people over and thinking, how would anyone want to come in, Well, you have to imagine, like these victims, the type of the stage in their life they're in, how desperate they are to get their next books, to get someone to listen to them, to get a place to stay, basic human necessities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you just need your like your survival needs met almost in a way. Yeah, and he's probably offering like the drugs maybe for free or something. So that's like quite a.
Speaker 1: Incentive, definitely. Now, the scale of the crime shocked the city. Police quickly realized that Anthony had likely fled before they could arrive with his arrest warrant. This had already become one of the largest homicide scenes Cleveland had ever seen, and now it was turning into an active manhunt officers. They quickly released a description to the public in late October twenty ninth in search of him. Anthony, at the time was fifty years old, about six feet tall, thin, usually wearing glasses, and known throughout Mount Pleasant neighborhoods as tone. Police warned residents not to approach him and offered a reward for any information leading to his arrest. Officers also checked abandoned buildings, alleyways, scrap yards, and homes of relatives. Patrol cars flooded the neighborhood while investigators worked around the clock at this house, continuing to recover bodies and evidence from inside and its property. Now, as the search was going on, a woman who knew Anthony casually from the neighborhood reportedly spotted him at his sister's home not far from Imperial Avenue. She told him that police were swarming his house and that bodies had been found inside, and according to later reports, Anthony appeared agitated and said words to the effect of quote, it's all going to come out now, end quote. He briefly agreed to return with her, but changed his mind before just before reaching the house, and he insisted to be taken back now. When police learned that he had been seen alive, though, the search intensified. On October thirty one, two thousand and nine, two days after the first bodies were discovered, officers found Anthony walking along a street roughly a mile from his home, and they quickly took him into custody without incident.
Speaker 2: So he really didn't go far at all.
Speaker 1: He didn't. It's almost like he wasn't even trying to hide. Honestly.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean at that point, I think, you know, you're probably done.
Speaker 1: I think he just didn't care. He didn't care about other people, he didn't care about being arrested. He just didn't care. I just did what he wanted. He had an air of complete arrogance and ignorance about him.
Speaker 2: To me, just a nasty human being.
Speaker 1: There you go, that's a good way of putting it. Now. At the station, investigators began questioning Anthony. I mean, by then, detectives already knew what they were dealing with, a serial killer, so the questions were more along the lines of how many victims were there, or how long the murders had been happening, and whether Anthony was about to talk now. Early in the interviews, Anthony appeared calm, almost conversational. I mean investigators wanted it that way. They started rather light, you know, easy going, trying to make him feel comfortable. He answered basic questions about his background, his military service, and his family. At times he even seemed relaxed and detached from reality. But when the questioning turned towards the bodies and things started to heat up, his responses became vague and inconsistent. He denied clear intent, He offered suggestions about confusion and claiming he didn't remember details. At other moments, he admitted to choking women and then refused to explain why now. Detectives then pressed him about the number of victims, and he reportedly gave uncertain answers, at one point suggesting there might be ten and then changing his response again. Throughout all this, investigators quickly realized they could not rely on him for a complete or accurate account of events, so instead they began reconstructing the timeline through physical evidence and missing persons reports.
Speaker 2: I just have to say really quickly and know, you're fucked up up if you can't remember how many people you've.
Speaker 1: Murdered, Well, it's not asy. Maybe it's not that he can't remember or he's not wanting to talk about it. There's which one.
Speaker 2: Isn't I guess, because well, yeah, when you think about it, serial killers lots of times they do really recall most of their victims because it's like living out a fantasy or whatever the hell they're doing.
Speaker 1: I don't think for him it's really living out of fantasy though, as I mentioned, like, I think it's he just doesn't fucking care well, an air of arrogance about him.
Speaker 2: It could be more the sexual assault for him too, and then he just like kills them to.
Speaker 1: Cover up a dispatch like they're nothing. Yeah, right, But either way, whether it's he does remember and is lying or he doesn't remember, either way they're not going to get.
Speaker 2: A clear story from him, and either way he's fucked up.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, during the questioning too, Anthony did what many murderers do. He sometimes tried to shift blame or minimalize his responsibility. He spoke about anger and arguments about the women who use drugs, but he never provided a Kohi explanation for any of the killings. For detectives, though the interviews served a different purpose than Anthony would have expected. They weren't looking for a dramatic confession. The evidence side the house already spoke for itself. Their goal was to understand the sequence of events when the murder started, how many bodies there were, how they ended up in different parts of the house, whether there were more victims beyond the eleven already discovered. But police had also answered had to find the answer for who these victims were. Because of the conditions of many of the remains, identification was almost impossible off the bat and very slow and difficult afterwards. They relied heavily on DNA testing, dental records, and personal items recovered at the scene. At the same time, Cleveland police established a command center and asked family with missing loved ones to come forward. For many families, that request confirmed their worst fears. Relatives arrived carrying photographs, clothing, personal items that might help with identification. Some had been searching for you years. Others had filed missing persons reports, only to feel dismissed or ignored. One by one, the names began to emerge. The first identified was Tanya Carmichael, a fifty year old fifty three year old mother who had disappeared in late two thousand and eight. Soon after, came to Nasha Culver, a thirty three year old mother remembered for her kindness and generosity, and then Talaka Forston, a thirty one year old mother of three who had been trying to rebuild her life before she vanished. Investigators then later identified Crystal Dozier, a thirty eight year old mother of seven and one of the earliest victims missing since May of two thousand and seven. Michelle Mason, forty five, was next. She had spent time away from Cleveland trying to turn her life around and begun rebuilding stability before disappearing in two thousand and eight. As DNA testing continued, more and more names were connected and confirmed. Kim Yvette Smith, forty four, who was a kind caregiver for her disabled father. Nancy Cobbs forty five, a grandmother who tried to reconnect with family after struggling with addiction. Amelda or Amy Hunter forty seven was a beautician and an avid reader, remembered as a fighter. Denise Webb forty eight described by relatives as a family jokester who kept everyone laughing despite her struggles. One of the most difficult identifications involved Leshon de Long, only twenty five years old, the youngest victim. Authorities recovered only her skull, which had been placed in a bucket in the basement for her family. There would be no complete body to bury. The final victim identified was Diane Turner, a mother of six who had been battling addiction for years and had recently been trying to stay sober. Her remains were among the last confirmed, partially because of fractured family connections and complications with identification process, but by the time they were all identified, there were eleven women in total who were named, and a clearer picture of the case emerged. All of the victims were black women, most were mothers. Many struggled with addictions or unstable housing. Several had criminal records tied to survival crimes like drug possession or sex work. Some had been reported missing, but others had not either because families assumed they would return or because relationships become strained over time. For investigators, identifying the victims also meant revisiting old missing persons reports and seeing the pattern that had been missing. Families spoke about their frustrations openly. Some said they'd been going to police and had only been told that their loved ones would just come back whenever they're ready. Others said that they felt that their cases never received serious attention because of the addiction or lifestyle, which is a harsh reality still felt by many in society today. Now, after months of investigation, evidence processing, and victim identification, prosecutors began preparing for one of the largest murder cases in Cleveland's history. Anthony Sewell faced an overwhelming list of charges. Prosecutors filed eleven counts of aggravated murder, along with dozens of additional charges including rape, kidnapping, abuses of corpse, and tampering with evidence. The sheer volume of evidence, forensic reports, photographs, DNA results, witness testimony, and surveillance footage even meant that the case would take a long time to reach trial. Originally scheduled to begin in twenty ten, the trial was delayed multiple times as both sides prepared, and when the trial finally began in June of twenty eleven, the focus was clear, proving that the deaths of the eleven women were deliberate acts of murder carried out by Anthony. The man who lived at one two two five Imperial Avenue now Anthony himself initially entered a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity, but later withdrew that claim, changing his plea to simply not guilty. Jurors were shown photographs from inside the home and heard testimony from investigators who described what they had had encountered when they entered the home as well. In October of two thousand and nine, survivors who had escaped Anthony's attacks also testified, explaining how he lured women inside with offers of drugs or alcohol or you know, places to stay, before then becoming violent. One of the most powerful moments of the trial came when jurors were taken on a walk through of the house itself.
Speaker 2: Oh, that seems abnormal.
Speaker 1: Though it was cleaned up, the crime scene was cleaned by men, it was at least given to show the space in which this all occurred Okay. Medical examiners testified that most of the victims had been killed by strangulation. They showed signs of ligatures or restraints, but because of the decomposition, exact causes of death could not always be determined, but the pattern across the victims was clear. Prosecutors argued that the evidence left little room for doubt, and on July twenty second, twenty eleven, after deliberation, the jury returned with its verdict. Anthony Sowell was found guilty and was convicted on eighty two of eighty three laid charges, including all eleven counts of aggravated murder. On August twelfth, twenty eleven, the judge formerly sentenced Anthony to death, placing him on Ohio's death row. The verdict closed the legal side of the case, but it didn't end the question surrounding what had happened on Imperial Avenue. In the months and the years that followed, attention turned towards the broader failures that allowed the murders to continue for so long. Families of the victims, community members, journalists, and advocates began asking how eleven different women could disappear from the same neighborhood without authorities connecting the pattern sooner. Many relatives had said that they tried to report their loved ones missing and felt dismissed. Some were told the women would come back when they were ready, and others said that their cases never gained traction because addiction and instability made disappearances seem less. Urgent investigative reporting highlighted repeated warning signs that in hindsight, appeared impossible to ignore. Neighbors had complained for months, even years, about a foul odour near the house. Survivors had reported assaults. Anthony himself was a registered sex offender Tier three, the highest level, who was checked in regular with authorities. The case became a painful example of how vulnerable communities can fall through cracks. Now after the trial, city leaders decided that the building where this all took place should not remain standing, so in December of twenty eleven, demolition crews tore down one two two five Imperial Avenue. The structure that had once hidden so much horror was reduced to rubble. Plans were soon developed for a memorial on the site, and in twenty twenty one, the Garden of eleven Angels, as it's called, was created to honor the victims. The space was designed as a place of reflection, not for the killer, but for the women of those lives who had been taken. Meanwhile, Anthony's legal appeals began, but courts repeatedly rejected any of them. He was housed on death row in Chilikoth Correction Institution before being transferred to Franklin Medical Center as his health declined. Then, on February eighth, twenty twenty one, Anthony Swell died in prison from a terminal illness at the age of sixty one. His execution would never be carried out, and his story ends there. But the story that really matters, well, it doesn't. It lives in the voices of survivors who escaped, in the families who refused to stop searching, in the memories of the victims, and in the woman who made the desperate, difficult choice to jump from a window rather than stay inside one more second. That moment, one person fighting to survive, helped stop the killings, and it forced the world to fire only look at what been hidden in plain sight the entire time. And that's the story of the Cleveland Strangler.
Speaker 2: Shit, gosh that one. Okay, it reminds me a lot of the pict in one in a sense that we've covered.
Speaker 1: Right, how he targets those who are living in like the margins of society, or sex workers or people who are having substance issues things like that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because to find yourself in that kind of situation right as a human is like, it's really it would like I don't I can't say for sure, but from my like witnessing and stuff, it's very hard to get out of that. And then you maybe have someone that you think is nice and I mean, he wasn't going about trying to help them because he was offering them these substances and stuff. But I don't know, like you go about maybe trying to trust someone and then it just like completely backfires, and then people don't even really pay attention to you missing because oh, like she's on a bender or whatever and she'll be back. Like it's just it, It just fucking tugs at your heart.
Speaker 1: Strings, it does. And then not to mention, you know what, the difficulty trusting police and the police saying oh yeah, she'll like you say, just be back. Yeah, So it's like, Okay, this person is actually missing, and they never go and look for these people anyways because of these excuses. So how can you trust them going forward with reporting your family? They're not doing anything anyways. You might as well take it into your own hands. Not only are you taking it into your own hands and not creating a history of looking for this person, but now you're putting yourself in potential danger too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So's it's one of those situations where, yeah, like you say, it tugs at your heartstrings because it should not play out this way, but it does well.
Speaker 2: And I for few of them, you said, you know, like their families said that they were kind of, you know, going along the path of potentially being good.
Speaker 1: One day, right on their life thread and stuff.
Speaker 2: And they make one mistake here and they're just gone. Someone takes advantage of that and they're gone.
Speaker 1: Well, and that one mistake could be trusting this individual, Yeah, exactly. So maybe they didn't even enter the house under the pretense of intoxication, drugs, alcohol, that sort of thing. Maybe they just needed a place to stay to get away from it all. Maybe they just needed someone who is going to talk and be nice to them. Anthony was known for that in the neighborhood. Maybe while they're staying there, maybe that's when he reintroduced the drugs to them, and then that's when he started taking advantage of them. Yeah, he is, as I said earlier, one hell of a fucking predator and a monster who.
Speaker 2: Should never have been back out. No, And the thing that really got me to was the one family they just had the skull to bury. Oh I know, I don't know. That one hit me hard because I couldn't even imagine that kind of pain just you know, I mean, you have a piece of them to bury, which I guess is good, but you're like, where the fuck's the rest of their body and stuff like, I don't know that just knowing me, that would just I even have tears in my eyes right now. That would destroy me. Yeah, it would destroy me.
Speaker 1: Now. I do understand there's logistical issues on the authorities side, trust me, I get it, but they still need to do more. The simple fact alone that he was a Tier three registered sex offender and they could not go into his premise while he's already having these documented accounts of potential abuse and rape and all this sort of stuff that is absurd to me. Yeah, missing persons reports, whether you whether the authorities take them seriously or not. If someone reports a person missing, that's a fucking missing person's report. If you say, okay, you know what, maybe they'll be back in a day or two. Maybe they'll be back in a week or two. Look at their history. How long have they been gone before? Maybe if their history is being gone for three or four days, document that missing person's report, check in with the family every other fucking day, and if they're still gone after a couple of days, maybe then start in best mitigating it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, we really have flawed systems, and we do. You know, it's hopeful that cases like this do help that those systems and make them better eventually, and I think they do, but I mean it always it takes bad shit to happen for systems to get better, which is unfortunate, but that is kind of the way it is.
Speaker 1: Hindsight's twenty twenty, And I've said this on the show before. I have a history in my career of occupational health and safety, and something we learned in that career path is regulations are written in blood because it takes someone to get injured or killed for you to look back and change it. Yeah, and it's so sad that that's the case. Yeah, but anyways, thank you guys for being here. Hopefully enjoyed this episode. You want to check out things in our description, we have things like our website, We've got merch. We've got some exclusive merch actually going to be coming out here pretty quick with our five year anniversary approaching, so make sure you keep an eye on that. We've got our social media's and everything, and as I mentioned at the very beginning of this, it should be checking out the Olympics. While we were recording this episode, Canada did win over Finland to to one, So good luck to Finland in the bronze medal game and good luck to Canada in the gold medal game. Both teams played extremely well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so good luck to them both. It was Yeah, it's hard watching people lose though sometimes right, just like the complete defeat on their face, I know, because they're just given it, they're all but I mean them still going to be able to win bronze is a big deal.
Speaker 1: So yeah. Still proud of the Finland team too, Proud of Canada, Proud of Finland, proud of everyone competing in the in the Olympics. There we go. I'm judging you while I'm on my couch eating chips, is what I'm saying. But anyways, thank you guys for being here. We hope to see you next time, and until then, stay wicked.