Speaker 1: I don't know if your employees would be rude to you, but you being subservience of me. Dave Ryan here on the Dave Ryan Show, I said subservience. Yeah, I said, I barely scratch my beard. It itches because I'm growing my beard in. And you said, no, that's gross, which.
Speaker 2: Is mean inappropriate from you to ask such a question.
Speaker 1: After what friends do you scratch each other's beards?
Speaker 2: You just said we were subservience and we are your coworkers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, well your friends that are subservient to me. Yeah, so I'm going to try to it's itchy, and I'm trying to grow it out because I'm thinking about going for that Duck Dynasty look because I think that's kind of hot.
Speaker 2: No one ever, Okay, I agree, I don't think that it's hot. However, maybe you do something that you grow it out until this happens.
Speaker 3: So what would this be for you?
Speaker 2: Like like a lot of people will grow out their beards until they're oh I.
Speaker 1: See, Like I say, yeah, whatever.
Speaker 2: It is, okay, So it's like, what could it be for you? Like you grow it out.
Speaker 1: Until the Vikings win the Super Bowl? Goode to Yeah, okay, that's a long time until they until they get rid of the cherry in the spoon, haul that garbage away for scrap.
Speaker 2: I think it has to be a little easier than yeez, or you'll have a beard for the rest of time.
Speaker 1: Until I make sweet, sweet loving.
Speaker 3: There you go, Okay, so then we'll know, well.
Speaker 1: Biking super Bowl is looking better. Just saying let's dive into the emails on the Minnesota Goodbye Hello Dave. Jenny Bailey vaught from Charis. She says, I want to comment on something Dave mentioned yesterday in the podcast. My mom was the only parent my sister and I had. When she passed away in twenty twelve, I was thirty three, and I felt like I was six, and I felt like my world was ending and my life was over, and I didn't know what to do without my mom. Now, I'm not saying this for pity. She had been ill for a while and we knew it was coming. She had cancer, by the way, so it was not a surprise when she asked away, even knowing that it was coming. She told me not to be sad, and I had to keep living and I had to be strong for my two girls, who were only two years old in five months when she died. So, Dave, you were absolutely correct about parents wanting their kids to be sad for a time but then go on living. I'm still sad. I miss my mom every day and my oldest daughter is so much like her, but I made myself go on. Listening to your show every day makes me happy. Love you guys, all right. I don't know how it came up yesterday, but I was talking about how a friend of mine knowner since junior high and don't know her well anymore, but her parents died around the same time ten years ago, and she has just let it devastate her life. Everything is sad. Everything is just sad because she can't get past it. And I don't know that I've told her this, but maybe I haven't. I said it on the podcast Your Parents. Being a parent myself, you would be so sad to know that when you died, your child could never be happy again, or refuse to really be happy, or refuse to laugh again. I remember Billy Crystal did a show called five hundred Saturdays or something like that. Have you heard of it? No, the one man Show, and basically it was about how his dad died when he was like twelve, so he only got five hundred Saturdays. Now my math is wrong, so don't add it up. So but Billy Crystal said, I was never really happy after my dad died. Until I went to college and got on the college radio station for the first time since my dad died, I was happy, And I thought that's really sad because his dad would be just fucking heartbroken knowing that his little boy could never be happy once dad was gone. Now a little kid, you can't say, hey, be happy. Dad would want you to be happy. But you know, if you're a thirty four year old or a forty four year old or a sixty four year old and you lose your parents, they would be fucking heartbroken if they thought you cannot get over it. So do them a favor and don't get over it, but be happy.
Speaker 3: Try your best.
Speaker 2: I will say, from like someone who deals with a lot of mental health issues, I think that that's easier said than done for some people who deal with grief and depression and anxiety, because I do think that I will struggle a lot when my parents pass away, like much more than the average person. And it's not that I don't understand that like my parents will want me to be happy. It's just that, like my brain doesn't work that way. My brain will like think of everything and how they're not there for it anymore and stuff like that. So it's like, and I get that eventually, time heals a little bit. It doesn't like heal you. It heals a little bit. But I do think it's a little harder said than done.
Speaker 1: Well, true, but you're not a parent, So I'm giving you my perspective that, yes, you're right. It's easier to say it's like cheer up, well, good luck, cheer up right, That doesn't work that way. But maybe it's a little bit of consolation to say I'm a parent, and I know if I knew that Carson, I think Alison will be okay. I think Chase will be okay. I think Beth would be like, where's my money? Yeah? How much do I make in the will? But Carson, I think will be devastated. And if he's not going to be pissed, but he can't be devastated for like six years, Yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Do know what I mean do to haunt him. If he's not devastated, you're gonna come down and I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna come back. Oh yeah, I'm gonna come back and like surprise him in the shower. You're right, you're right, that's weird. Okay, you're right. I'm gonna surprise him while he's making love. But you're like, oh, hey, ho, hey, hell you what what are you doing there? Just to fucking freak him out?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You know, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Haven't thought it through.
Speaker 3: Don't give expect I mean ideas though, But okay, we'll expectations.
Speaker 2: We will work on what you're going to do to haunt Carson.
Speaker 1: Okay, I am going to play one Nita's rant, but I got to push a couple of buttons here first to make sure I've got this right. So this is pushed. That's pushed, This is pushed. Here is your weekly rant from Waneda that this.
Speaker 4: Is the reason why you're my best rip. So I sent this clip because I thought about this when I heard b Bailey and Jenny say that I would be the one to help bury the body, and you're right, I would. But here's my rant for this week. So I s my son went to go play wanted to go watch his friend play basketball, and it was gonna cost them ten dollars to get in. So I stopped at the gas say, she got a couple celsias in the back of sunflower seeds came up to ten dollars and seven cents. So I'm like, cool, I give her twenty dollars and seven cents. She give me a ten dollar bill back. I'm on my way. Nope, so I gave her the twenty dollars and seven cents. She looks at me and she goes, well, I can't you gave me too much. I said, oh, I gave you the seven cents cause I don't want ninety three cents back and change. She goes, why we can't do that. I'm like, why the hell not? She goes, because that's gonna throw my register off. So I looked at the guy that was sitting the line behind me, and he just looked at me and sh and shook his head and shrugged his shoulders. So I'm like, how the hell is that gonna make your register off? And she goes because it once I pushed this button, it's gonna spit your change out. But if I put the seven cents in there, then it's gonna throw my register off. I said, But if you don't hit that button. You just hit twenty oh seven. It's not gonna spin any change out, and you can just give me a fucking ten dollar bill back. She goes, well, no, I can't do that. This girl could have been no more than about eighteen nineteen years old. I almost called her a bitch, but I said, no, this is somebody's got so I'm not gonna disrespect her. But you can just imagine I called her all kind of names in my head. What the fuck are they learning in school, Harry? You're not learning any math because you can't count. How the hell is that gonna throw your register off? So I said, fuck it, I'm not gonna go back and forth with you on this. Just give me a goddamn change so I can be on my way. So, as you know, I stormed out of the store because what she pissed me the fuck off. So I get in the truck and I gave my son the nine dollars in the change. He looks at me and he goes, mom, why'd you give me all this change? I said, boy, not today, not today. Well that's my ride for this week. I love you guys, bye.
Speaker 1: Love you back. That is kind of funny that I'm gonna be honest with you. That always confused me because we did a like a problem day with that in math in about fifth grade. It's like, Okay, the bill comes to a dollar ninety three, I'm going to give you two dollars and three cents. Why am I going to give you two dollars and three.
Speaker 2: Cents so that you can get a dime back?
Speaker 1: So the dime is I didn't. I had trouble understanding that that was weird. That was weird to me. I feel like it's I get it now. It was weird.
Speaker 5: It's hard if you don't have the change in front of you to figure it out. But also, like I know, I feel the same way as Wanita because I used to work in retail and it gets to a point where you like memorize what like you can get back, so makes it.
Speaker 3: Then I would ask people like do you have seven cents?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 5: And then I could do it that way. But what I hated was once I entered it into the system, if somebody gave me like a twenty dollars bill and it was like thirteen fifty three, they give me a twenty. I entered in and then they say, hold on, I have two quarters, but it's not the exact change throws me off.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh difficult, I can't do it.
Speaker 5: And they're just like, just count the change back, and I'm like, I was never taught how to count the change back. I do not know how to do that. It's not gonna happen for me. Just let me give you change.
Speaker 1: Did you ever? This is funny because I remember when I was a kid very clearly wanting to get change back, and I could never figure out why I didn't get change back. So I don't know what I was buying. But let's say I was buying a twenty five cent candy bar. I'd give him a quarter and I wouldn't get my change, get any change. But I'd watch my mom get changed back, and I was like, why don't I They don't give me any money back, and I didn't know why. And my dad told me that he did the same thing when he was a kid. He couldn't figure out why he wouldn't get change back. You'd give him a die, you know, back then you buy like a new pair of shoes for a dime or whatever, And so he give him a dime, and he'd be like, where's my change. Another thing, my dad told me he once about an all day sucker. You ever heard of an all day sucker? No, they don't really call him that anymore. It's a giant lollipop.
Speaker 3: Okay, Oh yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Know what that is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he was disappointed because it didn't last all day. And I thought that was very cute. You think my dad was once such a little boy that he was like five years old and bought an all day sucker, yeah, which is probably a sucker the diameter of a hockey puck. Yeah, a large sucker. Yeah, And he was disappointed and didn't last all day. He's like, oh, nah, all right, next one, Hannah says, Oh, she says, don't say my name. Well, I'm not going to say your last name, so people won't know who you are. Pertaining to kids talking back, My kids are great and really sweet, but my husband works sixty hours a week and I stay home, so it's me and my kids a lot. For the most part, I handle it, but every once in a while they definitely need daddy to step in and set it straight if they get too mouthy. He tells that they cannot speak. He tells him that they cannot speak to me in that way, and it definitely snaps them back to reality when they get really mouthy. And then he sticks up for me and the manage they respect me. Ah, that man does it for me. Sometimes. It seems like kids need it every once in a while from someone who isn't their primary caregiver. I think that's true because you get so used to your mama or your daddy scolding you. But if grandma does it, yes, then it's a different story.
Speaker 2: You don't disrespect grandma, but I would never you would.
Speaker 3: Oh, you should see my mom.
Speaker 5: So I have a my niece, my sister, and my sister's spouse, and my dad, especially my dad, let her do whatever she wants. You say that again, So my sister, well, my sister, my sister's spouse, and my dad let my niece, my sister's daughter do whatever she wants.
Speaker 1: Oh and so even your sister does.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like I mean, she occasionally is like, hey, don't do that, that's not nice or whatever. But if my mom witnesses my niece like hit somebody, she'll be like, we do not hit. She'll like turn into this like devil woman. Yeah, but somebody has to.
Speaker 1: Well, why is it your sister does become.
Speaker 5: I mean she probably does, but like it's it's more like a okay, buddy, let's not do that, Like stop that now unless she's being really bad. Okay, But like my dad will just let this child hit him and he'll be like, oh, it's fine, it's it's nothing, it doesn't hurt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but she's learning to that hitting is mine.
Speaker 1: Yes, And you'll learn boundaries. You learn not only specific boundaries, but the fact that there are boundaries.
Speaker 3: My dad loves to enable, but my mom will have none of it.
Speaker 1: I think that's good because I think one of the reasons that I turned out to be a moderately responsible adult is because there were serious boundaries in my house, especially with my dad. And to even learn that there are boundaries is a very valuable tool. And I think a lot of kids grow up not knowing that they are boundaries, and that's why they are bad in school, bad in class, bad after school, bad when they're an adult. So they go on to say, Dave, are you taking ukulele lessons at Bud's Music in Hopkins. Yes, I am. I took ukulele guitar lessons there When I was younger. My cousin teaches there, Tommy. He's such a great teacher. Yes, I am from Tommy. I have a ukulele lesson tonight.
Speaker 3: Oh fine, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Kind of excited about it because I've been playing for about eight years or so and I'm plateaued and I'm not getting better, and i want to figure out how to get better. So thank you for that email. Next one, let's see no no to that one. Kristin back with another random question. What's a tourist destination or spot that you highly recommend? And on the other side, what is one that you think is overrated and not worth seeing. I wish I had some stories to share, but I don't. Haven't been fortunate enough to travel a lot. Someday, Thanks guys, springtime dart licking season From Kristin. I will say Black Hills. Black Hills are like another world and it's a nine hour drive away or not even I don't know how far it is. Love the Black Hills. There's so much to see. There's history, there's scenery, there's luxury, there's simplicity. There's food, there's fast food. Black Hills are an amazing place just nine short hours away. And it's not just one thing to do. There's so many things to do. Bear Country, USA, or the Mystery Spot, or Cosmos or the Reptile World or the Caves. There's so much in the Black Hills. Wow, Mitchell, South Dakota, the Corn Palace, And I don't want to rip on the Corn Palace because that's all Mitchell has to offer. And I'm not here to rip on little Mitchell, South Dakota. But you see signs for the Corn Palace all the way there, you stop and it's nothing.
Speaker 2: So Jenny, I would say the place I absolutely love is the Grand Tetons. The entire National Park is just absolutely beautiful. And then a place I would say never go to in your entire life, and I think this will offend people is Gatlinburg, right outside the Smokies. It's the most tourist trap city I've ever been in in my life, and since the Smokies is the most visited National park.
Speaker 3: And it's it.
Speaker 2: It is, oh because if you think about the national parks and how they're spread out throughout the United States, like the big Ones, the Smokies is one of the few ones on that side of the United States, you know. So it's just it's very highly visited. So Gatlinburg is just a shit show. And it's not my scene. I worked at Bubba Gums at the Mall of America for so long, So walking into a city that's like Margeritaville, Bubba Gum stuff like that, Like, it's just not my vibe. And I know some people who love it and that's great, but for me, I hate it. It's one of the only entrances into the Smokeyes, so it's busy because it's a tourist city on top of the fact that it's one of the only entrances into the smokies.
Speaker 1: Okay, gotcha. What's funny is like bordering Yellowstone Park, there's no big touristy cities there really isn't. I mean, there's like I think Red Redwood or something. It's on the north side of Yellowstone Park. And then there's Billings, which is one hundred or so miles away from Yellowstone Park. But there's no big bordering city. Yeah, okay, what so you say stay away from Gatlinburg, Bailey, what do you got?
Speaker 3: That question? Is what's worth it? And what's not worth what.
Speaker 1: Tourist definition destination or spot would you highly recommend, And then on the other side, what one is overrated not worth it?
Speaker 4: Jeez.
Speaker 5: I mean I don't go on a ton of vacation in general. Obviously, I've been to disney World a lot, so I would recommend disney World. But I feel like everyone and their mom would recommend disney World. There's not like a lot of unique places I've gone because all of my traveling I did as a kid. Like my mom used to travel for work and we would go along with her. So I honestly, I don't really have a horse in the race.
Speaker 2: I never had anything in the in Minnesota that you can think of that you don't that I wouldn't like because I feel like you go to I feel like you're like a museum person or yeah, you love to see like something that is like symbolic.
Speaker 5: Well okay, well, I guess if we're thinking about museums, I used to work at Mill City Museum. It is a place that you go to one time, yeah you need to go over again. And I think they're a handful of museums that you can go to one time and you never need to go again. That is one of them, and I work there every day. But yeah, I do a lot of stuff in the city. But I haven't regretted pretty much anything that I've done here because it's all stuff that I've chosen to do, So it's not like I got dragged anywhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like it all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I'm trying to think of like some little hidden gym. Guestops is a cool little place, and I know that's a dumb thing because it's like but it's like, oh, this is really cool. I'll give you one more. New Olm is a cool little city, so cool. It's a cool little city.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And there's Shells Brewery. The tour is totally worth it. It's a brewery, but it's cool. And then wigels Kaiser Hop is like an authentic old school German restaurant. Yeah, and it's just I don't know, it's just cool.
Speaker 5: There's like this really big like tower that you can climb in New Olm and we did that and that was terrifying but cool because you could see like for miles, which was neat. And their history museum is really cool and fascinating and interesting. Anyway, Yeah, Alm is great. I do like New Olm.
Speaker 1: It's had a lot of cool history there that is going to do it for the Minnesota Goodbye. Thanks for sending your emails. We're always looking for more, any thoughts on anything. You've got something that you love about, you know, a touristy place that you love me Like I said, Bailey said, don't do Disney. Yeah, you know, don't do the Big Apple. But if you got like something that's like, oh man, this is really cool, or somewhere that you think is overrated as well. I'm trying to think of somewhere that is over ray. I can't really think of I just enjoy touristy shit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just like going do things. I don't mind wherever I am. I'll find something to do and it'll be enjoyable.
Speaker 1: Send your emails in Ryan Show at katiewb dot com and then listen for your email tomorrow here on the Minnesota. Goodbye.