Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty the Bill Handles show on demand on the iHeartRadio f for the next two days, are going to get hot, hot, hot, not a sch fits, but still hot. Some of the stories we are looking at is after that phone call that President Trump had with Putin where nothing happened trying to negotiate the end of the Ukraine War, Russia launched more than one hundred drones attacking Kief.
Speaker 2: That's a tough one. That really is okay.
Speaker 1: Name Ashley Babbitt. You probably haven't doesn't ring a bell, But if you had paid attention or listened to that debacle of a debate that President Trump had with at that point candidate Trump, former President Trump had with Joe Biden and where Biden melted down and it became very obvious that guy had all kinds of cognitive problems. You heard President Trump talked about Ashley Babbitt as the really only victim of what happened on January sixth.
Speaker 2: Ashley Babbitt was the former I think.
Speaker 1: Fire person who was breaking into the capital going into the.
Speaker 2: Last I guess bastion.
Speaker 1: Before that, the actual chamber would have been broken into by the January sixth rioters.
Speaker 2: They were really not writers.
Speaker 1: They were patriots, as President Trump said, they were simply trying to uphold the constitution in attempting to keep him president. After the election, and she was killed. She was shot by a Capitol police officer. And you see video of her breaking through or trying to break through the window and the cops behind it guarding the chamber, and the Congress people that were there, frankly scared to death because what you were hearing outside was hang Mike Pence. Looking for Mike Pence, because President Trump has said go over there and show him, to tell him to do the right thing. The right thing was not certifying the election, which is what the vice president has to do under law. And so she was shot and her family filed a wrongful death lawsuit.
Speaker 2: Now there was an investigation of the.
Speaker 1: Cop who shot her, and both locally, and the Justice Department cleared the cop saying it was considered self defense. He knew people had weapons, that had been reported people had weapons, and he shot as she was breaking in, and he argued self defense where his state of mind is, and that's normally what happens.
Speaker 2: He's cleared.
Speaker 1: However, that doesn't mean anything when it comes to civil lawsuits. So the family files a lawsuit for thirty million dollars. Now keep in mind that the underlying premise here is she was a victim, and the bad people were the cops, and these were peaceful demonstrators. And the one hundred and forty police officers that were injured were they were the bad guys. There was no overrunning or overturning trying to attack the capital. These were peaceful demonstrators who were attacked. And the President invoked her name during the course of the debate, saying that the only victim here was Ashley Babbitt and those patriots who were not overrunning the capital or attacking the capitol, merely upholding the constitution, which is why he pardoned virtually every single one of them. Sixteen hundred people were pardoned, and Ashley is.
Speaker 2: The martyr of all martyrs.
Speaker 1: So she files a lawsuit, and at that time, virtually every lawyer, every police officer, every congress person who was not of that ill because not a fundamentalist maga person said you know there's nothing here. I mean, come on, you know someone is going through attacking the people that you're supposed to guard.
Speaker 2: Windows are being broken through.
Speaker 1: Polls are being smashed through these plexa glass windows, and that is peaceful. So the lawsuit is filed and the Trump administration is settling. The Department of Justice is settling the case for nearly five million dollars. And now I'm surprised it's only five million dollars.
Speaker 2: Frankly, I would.
Speaker 1: Have thought Department of Justice would have not only given the family the thirty million dollars that they're asked for, but.
Speaker 2: More than that, because this is Joan of Arc.
Speaker 1: This is a martyr who was killed to simply uphold the Constitution and to try to unravel an illegal election.
Speaker 2: Life is crazy.
Speaker 1: She is being represented, or the family is being represented by a Judicial Watch, a conservative organization organization working pro bono, not getting any money. Usually lawyers who represent families and wrongful deaths or any kind of personal injury, which is of course, this is the ultimate personal injury. They generally get a contingency. A third of the settlement is generally the case. The people of Judicial Watch are getting zero. And there was a lawyer that worked on the case before Judicial Watch comes in who is getting paid because there was an agreement. Well, he is getting paid, not out of the settlement, the lawyers being paid by donations that are coming in. In twenty twenty three, then House Speaker Kevin McCarthy really angered Trump saying that the person who shot Babbitt, the cop said quote he said, quote, I think the police.
Speaker 2: Officer did his job.
Speaker 1: And McCarthy was tossed by the MAGA Republicans in the House, replaced by Mike Johnson, who led the congressional effort to overturn the twenty twenty results in four battleground states voted against certifying the electoral college vote, and that went nowhere because of Mike Pence. Mike Pence effectively was threatened with his life if he did not refuse, if he did not fail, or if he certified the election. And he and say said, the Constitution demands that I count and certify these results. And of course Mike Pence at that point became persona non grata. Mike Johnson, after a whole lot of compromising back and forth, became the Speaker. And Mike Johnson is his job, as far as he sees it in the MAGA Republicans, is not to lead Congress, but to make sure that the administration's laws, views, policies are uphild across the board in any way whatsoever. It's really depressing that that's gone that way. But in any case, Oh, she's an Air Force veteran.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: Babbitt thirty five years old was shot in the shoulder and it was a fatal wound.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: All right, well, you know what I want to do, talk about Putin coming in, and then at seven point fifty, I'm going to talk about more craziness where we have gone, and I mean a story after a story, but this one is you're gonna well, maybe you won't shake your head. All right, coming up that infimous phone call yesterday between President Trump and President Putin and where it went other than no place, And I'll talk a little bit about the circumstances around that. And then later on Kamala Harris, I can't wait. She's another winner too. Boy, we're being handed the winners of all winter, and aren't we And then kind of fun stuff with Rich to morrow at the top of the hour.
Speaker 2: All right, we're bailing. Let's take a break. Coming up, Putin's in charge.
Speaker 1: You think yesterday during the course of our show, the phone call that was touted that was probably going to end the war in Ukraine or well on its way to ending the war in Ukraine between President Trump and of Russia. Now, during the campaign, one of the promises made by Trump was the war in Ukraine was in day one of the administration and even before the swearing in of the new president. Well, it hasn't quite worked out that way, and so trying to figure out some kind of a peace deal. The President Trump has been touting that this conversation that he was going to have and he did have with Putin and it was two hours, and he made a very big deal about it on true social saying things like the war in Ukraine will end when he and Putin sit down and end it, leaving Zelensky out of it. That's it's fascinating how Ukraine is really not part of the negotiation. So a couple of things about it before I talk about what the outcome was, and that is President Trump made a very big deal of this scheduling, and this was going to happen, and the war was going to end or be well on its way to ending with negotiations with Putin. Putin is a smart guy, what he did in the way was portrayed. He had an event at some school, and the way Russia is portraying this is he was called to the phone. He said, okay, guys, I got a phone.
Speaker 2: Call coming in and I'll be back.
Speaker 1: Took the two hour phone call and went back to the school event as if.
Speaker 2: It were not a big deal.
Speaker 1: And it turned out not to be a big deal, because there was supposed to be some really strong solid moves towards the Ukraine War.
Speaker 2: And putin a smart guy.
Speaker 1: He gets ahead of President Trump minutes after the call, and he talked to the media in person. He actually made the first move, and here's what he said.
Speaker 2: As a result of this phone call. We have agreed with.
Speaker 1: The President of the United States that Russia will propose and is ready to work with the Ukrainian side on a memorandum on a possible future peace accord, defining a number of positions such as, for example, the principles of settlement, the timing of a possible peace accord. In other words, we'll be more than happy to talk peace sorta kinda at some point in the future. We don't have the exact terms at all. We don't know the date. We don't know who's going to be there, but we think it's a good idea.
Speaker 2: Zero came out of it.
Speaker 1: Zero and the two different views. Of course, Putin basically said there's nothing here. I'm not moving, you know, nothing has changed. President Trump, on the other hand, of course, doesn't see it that way. He released his own version of the call, writing Russia and Ukraine will immediately start negotiations towards the ceasefire. Don't know where he got that, and more importantly, an end to the war. Negotiations between Russia and Ukraine will begin immediately.
Speaker 2: Don't know where he got that. Now.
Speaker 1: To give Trump credit, he is doing everything he can to end this war, and everything he can is nothing because he can't because Putin won't move. It's that simple. And even the threat of sanctions against Putin, even more sanctions against Russia and Putin that the President has threatened, which is usually happens under these circumstances, now on the table, and it looks like Trump seems to be just giving up on the American involvement in peace talks, rightly saying you know, or thinking, I'm assuming you know, there's not much I can do here. I'm not going to negotiate an end of this thing. I'm not going to get the Nobel Peace Prize which he talked about if the war were going to end, And he has said conditions for a ceasefire will now be negotiated between the two parties, as it can only be because they know the details of a negotiation that nobody else would be aware of. Big difference as to what he said prior to that phone call. And one of the problems is how far does Putin go?
Speaker 2: One of his questions.
Speaker 1: One of the things that have happened as a result of the new administration is our allies are no longer our allies, and our enemies are now our.
Speaker 2: Allies, specifically Russia.
Speaker 1: Russia is obviously in Ukraine once a third of Ukraine, once a guarantee that NATO will never accept Ukraine into its membership, because an attack on a NATO country means an immediate response for all NATO members, which is twenty eight countries that are part of NATO. And so what happens is any war between Russia and a non NATO member is a war between Russia and a non NATO member. It's not going to be the involvement of other countries, and the only involvement so far is members of NATO. The European Union is giving arms to Ukraine, and it looks like the United States is not going to be giving arms to Ukraine.
Speaker 2: And it's yeah, it's a tough one, it really is.
Speaker 1: And this is where President Trump is at odds with a lot of members of the MAGA Republicans in Congress because they're looking at Russia being a legitimate enemy and we know that that's not the case under the president.
Speaker 2: But what's the takeaway here? Putin's just a lot smarter.
Speaker 1: I mean, the guy knows how to run his country and he doesn't have to worry about elections.
Speaker 2: He doesn't. He's an autocrat. You know.
Speaker 1: Anybody who tries to fight him is killed. Any opposition politically is killed. So there is none Not fun, all right, Let's move over to fun. Kamala Harris, she's fun.
Speaker 2: And I'm gonna go back a little bit in history.
Speaker 1: And talk about one of the greatest returns politically, which will never happen to her.
Speaker 2: And I'll explain what's going to happen this summer.
Speaker 1: Brucks are now going into Gaza all five of them, and as starvation is about to hit a huge proportion of.
Speaker 2: The residents of Gaza, it's horrific.
Speaker 1: Israel is now allowing this tiny trickle and Israel's getting nailed rightly.
Speaker 2: So by the rest of the world. And Sesame Street good news.
Speaker 3: Sesame Street is back after the cutting shutting down of NPR money by the government, and I think it was what CBS said, no yes and prs no, and it's moving the Netflix and.
Speaker 2: Good for them. Okay, I'm gonna give you a little bit of handle history.
Speaker 1: Going back to nineteen sixty the presidential run between vice president at that time, Vice President Richard Nixon and candidate John F.
Speaker 2: Kennedy.
Speaker 1: And as we all know, JFK won the race by a tiny little number, I mean like one hundred and twenty one hundred and thirty thousand votes, I mean his smallest number of votes. It only was beat by what ended up happening. No, actually, even the Bush Gore fight in terms of actual numbers didn't come close to that. All right, So you have a vice president who loses the race from California and then runs for governor two years later and gets his ass handed to him and probably the greatest comeback in US history becomes president in nineteen sixty eight. That ain't going to happen here, not at all.
Speaker 2: So where is the similarity.
Speaker 1: Well, you have a vice president who ran for president.
Speaker 2: And two years later.
Speaker 1: Is going to run for governor of the state of California. Now, normally, under these circumstances, Kamala Harris would get or anybody under those circumstances would just get reamed. I mean, there's no chance. It happened with Richard Nixon is not going to happen with Kamala Harris. Were at a different place, different time, and Kamala Harris, well, she's gambling on this one because if she loses the race and is not elected governor, it's basically all over for her politically. She's going to disappear, because that is what has happened traditionally when people lose the pro when they lose the presidency, they generally go out and disappear. Historically, there have been a few exemptions or a few examples where it went the other way. William Howard Taft actually having been president, became Chief je Chief Justice Supreme Court. You had a few others, John Adams after being vice president won the presidency.
Speaker 2: He was president number two. But for the most part they disappear and walk away.
Speaker 1: Normally a vice a presidential run you lose, I mean, depending on who it is. At lea Stevenson Democrat, came back three times, ended up losing three times.
Speaker 2: You'll never see that again.
Speaker 1: So, Kamoa Harris, why would you after being vice president of the United States go for the governorship? Well, because California is a huge state, the biggest state in the Union by a long shot. And these are real issues that California is dealing with. It's not like states where not much is happening. You go to New Hampshire, you go to Rhode Island. You know what's the job. It's not much California. It is a huge job. We're looking at the wildfires, We're looking at the politics, We're looking at deficits of astronomical proportions. The next governor, it's going to be a tough one. The next governor is going to be a Democrat. We know that California has never been bluer. And her advantage.
Speaker 2: Is that everybody knows who she is.
Speaker 1: She has universal name recognition, and so she has to decide, and we don't know sometime this summer. July twenty one is a big date because July twenty one she loses US Secret Service protection that former vice presidents are granted for under law for six months.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: That can change if a president determines that Secret Service protection should continue on. But my guess is President Trump is not going to extend Secret Service protection for Kamala Harris just a wild ass guests. And there are some potential governors that are in the race who have credential. And who is one of them, Well, Savior Bessarah, who succeeded Harris as the attorney General of California. In the Biden administration, he was Health and Human Services Secretary and he is in the race. You have Antonio Vienna Goosa, who is making his second run for governor, and he has promised that he will fill every single pothole, not only in the city of Los Angeles, but in the state of California and in the United States, and if there are no potholes left to be filled, he'll do it for other countries at the same time, because he is the pothole king. Oh, he just doesn't get better. So is she gonna win. You know, I'm not a big fan. I'm really not. She doesn't strike me as being everything she did. She's not good in public on her own. Everything is really scripted for her. That doesn't mean that any politician does not do a good job as politician because they're not good public speakers or quick on their feet.
Speaker 2: But that seems to be a prerequisite.
Speaker 1: I guess today, You've got to be witty, you've got to be on your feet, you have to be, you know, quippy.
Speaker 2: And that's not her. So I don't know she's gonna win. Probably not, but we'll see her. If I had to guess, is she running?
Speaker 1: Yes, she is running, because now she's going around and speaking as if she is running.
Speaker 2: For the governorship.
Speaker 1: You ever noticed reporters ask that same question, right, madam vice president or mister secretary? Are you running for office? Absolutely not? That's political speak for yes, I am running. Do you play on announcing absolutely not. I've got a city to run, I've got a county to run.
Speaker 2: I will not be running.
Speaker 1: That means absolutely yes. Because in the world of politics, what's up and down, what's left is right, what's round is square?
Speaker 2: All right? Coming up? Oh?
Speaker 1: This is the one that I wanted to talk to you about, and that is what would you do if your kid goes to school and mandatorily they have.
Speaker 2: To be taught that the Earth is flat.
Speaker 1: When they go to science course, you have to give the alternative version of the way the world flies around.
Speaker 2: Space or creationism.
Speaker 1: You have to talk about creationism at the same level you talk about evolution. Well, let me tell you what's going on in Oklahoma. And it's a butte that's coming right up, and there's an argument has been for local school boards to control what students are taught. A couple out of Kansas, I remember that where creationism was going to be the primary science. In terms of where we are just some really nutso things usually on a state level that you don't see much craziness happening going on. Well, let me tell you what Oklahoma is doing now. In Oklahoma, the state superintendent has a great deal of power and determining curriculum.
Speaker 2: California, I think the same thing.
Speaker 1: So the state Superintendent, Ryan Walters, has made a couple of changes in the curriculum for K to twelve public school students, infused with references to the Bible all over the place.
Speaker 2: Nationalist themes.
Speaker 1: Now, he spent a whole lot of his first term in office as superintendent lauding President Trump, feuding with the teachers' union and local school superintendents, and trying to end what he describes as wokeness in public schools, way too woke. And as he said, the left has been pushing left wing and doctrination in the classroom. We're moving it back to actually understanding history, and I'm unapologetic about it.
Speaker 2: The history of.
Speaker 1: Elections really important in American history. The old standard, for example, the twenty twenty election Reads, examine issues related to the election of twenty twenty and its outcome.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's pretty even handed.
Speaker 1: The new Standard, as written by Walters, identified discription weapon sees in the twenty twenty elections and the twenty twenty election results by looking at grafts and other information, including the sudden halting of ballot counting and select cities and key battleground states, the security risks of mail in balloting, sudden batch jumps, an unforeseen record number of voters, and the unprecedented contradiction of Bellweather County trends. History has to be taught in the light of the election was stolen.
Speaker 2: At the high school level.
Speaker 1: Now, even some Republicans are raising red flags and going come on, and there's clearly a fight going on.
Speaker 2: But it's a procedural fight.
Speaker 1: And here's what the procedural fight was. He put in this stuff hours before the state school board voted. I mean literally Youtually, history topics are put in and then the school board and it's investigated, and the school board looks at it and they go back and forth.
Speaker 2: This just this was slipped it, and he got the school board to.
Speaker 1: Vote yes on this, one of them, for example, straight out stating that this is to be taught, stating the source of COVID was a Chinese lab.
Speaker 2: That's it, that's how COVID started. That's what high school students are to be taught.
Speaker 1: Crazy, it's I'm waiting for the Earth is flat. That's where we have to be taught science and creationism, evolution mahoma.
Speaker 2: And I'm horrified by all of this stuff that you're saying. You don't believe the Earth is flat? No, no, I do not. You don't believe that evolution is real science. I believe in parts of evolution, yeah, I do. Oh, in parts of evolution. We should start talking about that.
Speaker 1: Are we related to the great apes? Yes we are well that, Yes we are. Only because I can go into the science of that, I know.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, we have a whole we'd have a Bill Handle the science guy. Yeah, that's true, and I have a good time with that. But I'm believe you're related to the great apes. I am. I have no problem come from along.
Speaker 1: I come from a long line of great apes, and I'm very proud of it.
Speaker 2: I've seen you with your shirt off. There's zero doubt, Bro, that's zero. That is. I used to refer to him as Jewbaka. Oh no, no, it's true. It's true.
Speaker 1: All right, coming up kfi's tech guy Rich the Borough, and we've got a lot to talk about for sure. As always, you've been listening to The Bill Handle Show. Catch My Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.