Speaker 1: Before we dive in, here's another show you can enjoy in the True Story FM Family of Entertainment podcast. Hey there are true Believers. Andy Nelson here from the Marvel Movie Minute podcast with the rest of the team Mate right, Kyle Wilson, Rob Cobosco, and Matthew Fox. This is the podcast where we dissect the Marvel cinematic universe one minute at a time, exploring every detail of this epic superhero franchise.
Speaker 2: In our season looking at iron Man three, we're gonna mix things up a bit.
Speaker 3: That's right, Rob and I are your guide, but instead of our usual minute by minute format, we dive into five minutes of the film in each weekly episode.
Speaker 2: It's a totally new approach, but one that still allows us to explore all the depth and detail that makes these movies so special, even if Ironman three isn't all that's special.
Speaker 3: Hold on, that's where you're wrong. Extrememists Shane Black, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Would you like to look at the Mandarin and Maya Hanson.
Speaker 4: So, whether you're a die hard Marvel fan or just love deep dives into movies, there's something for everyone on Marvel Movie Minute.
Speaker 5: Shoot up and join us on this epic audio adventure.
Speaker 6: You can find us a true story dot fm or by searching Marvelmovie Minute on your favorite podcatcher.
Speaker 1: Because in the Marvel Cinematic universe, every minute is packed with excitement.
Speaker 7: Enough said, Okay, now for the lightning round. I'm so good at lightning rounds.
Speaker 8: That's from Friends, It's my favorite show.
Speaker 7: Twenty seconds on the Clock starts. Now who is the captain of the USS Enterprise? Crap?
Speaker 8: Is it Captain Stubing?
Speaker 7: No, Morgan crunch? Next question, which superhero is Tony Stark? Stark? Did Game of Thrones have superheroes? I only watched two episodes? What planet where Luke and Leah born on Planet Fitness?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 7: Time's up? Sorry? And now a word from our sponsor.
Speaker 8: Hey everybody, Mandy Kaplan here. Please check out my podcast Make Me a Nerd, where each week an incredible guest tries to baptize this mainstream mom into the world of sci fi, fantasy and all things nerdy. Available wherever you podcast. That's our show, folks, Wait, wait, weeit, I just thought of it. Padme Amidala gave birth to her twins, Luke and Leah on Poulus Masa No that's dumb?
Speaker 7: Is it planned? Hollywood?
Speaker 6: Question asked in the second season episode of Star Trek Voyager called Tuvis and the episode and the question we're going to be discussing here on superhero ethics. I'm Matthew, your host. I'm joined by Riki, my co host, Riky. How are we doing today and how you feel about talk about Star Trek.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm always excited to talk about Star Trek, Matthew, and I'm surprised we haven't done it before this. I believe this is the first time we're dealing with a solely Star Trek issue, and I hope to do it more because there are a lot of standout episodes like this one, like two Vicks, where there's a central ethical moral dilemma that speaks to, you know, larger issues, and it's just a very well done episode in general.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I really agree with that.
Speaker 6: I've talked before about how Star Trek is kind of my bread and butter in terms of ethical discussions in science fiction, because this is this was the show my mother loved. She loved the original series, she thought Next Generation was okay. I don't think she ever watched the newer ones and she passed away long before Discovery and things like that, but you know, she and I would watch original episodes of the She and I would watch episodes of the original series, and she'd ask me about the questions and comparing them and talking about how they applied to real life. And I've said many times that's kind of for me. The point of this episode is to really honor and talk about that kind of science fiction and fantasy and storytelling we expanded pretty wide that that raises questions that have relevance for our own world. And I think part of what I like about this episode so much, and Star Trek I think does this a lot, and especially the Oriville does this as well. It's one thing to create a science fiction or a fantasy or anything like that that is very clearly just an exact, one for one analogue of something in our current world where you're making a point about that. And I think that's fine. I think something sometimes I think that's really interesting and sometimes really needed. But I think science fiction is really at its best where instead of being an exact mirror, it says, okay, what if we take that question or that whole range of questions in humanity at the moment and put them into a different light and put them in put them with a very different spin that makes us question them in a whole new ways because to me, the point like there's extent to which the so the basis of this episode is that two of the main characters, tu Vac and Neelix. Tuvac is a Vulcan and is the second the security officer and sort of the best friend and confidant of Janeway the captain, and he's he's often played off as the very opposite of Neelix. Neelix is a Tulaxian, a character we haven't seen in Star Wars before because they come from the Delta Quadrant in Star Trek. I'm sorry, I'm gonna keep making that mistake in Star Trek, which they are now exploring. And he's he's very much the McCoy to mister Kutuvac Spock, except instead of being sort of gloomy and emotional, he's happy and emotional, and he's bouncy, and he's he always is trying to cheer up mister Tuvac in all sorts of ways where he refers to him mister Vulcan, and the two of them are put on a mission, and during the course of the mission, because of Star Trek science, there's a transporter accident and the two of them get merged into one being. And this one being has a lot of the elements of both. It has a lot of the logic and technical skill and tactical skill that Tuvac has, while still having the humor and good nature of Neelik and even and being able to do a lot of the skills of both, but in some ways better. Able to be a great like leader of the security forces, but also relate to them more with humor, able to be a cook, but actually a better cook.
Speaker 5: A better cook, also.
Speaker 6: Somehow having enough hours in the day to do both of those full time jobs, which apparently is another part of Star Trek science that we're not going to even get into. But at the as the episode comes to an end, uh they realize that there's a scientific way to undo this process and to remove to Tuvix, which is what this sort of conjoined being calls themselves, because it's a new being is it is not Tuvac, is not Tuvac or Nelix. It's a new being, and they have a way to bring back the original two, which will of course erase Tuo Vix and a RaSE is one word you could use for it. Tuvex himself says, this is murder. You are going to kill me by doing this, and he appeals to the goodwill of the crew and sort of says Janeway. Because Janeway decides that they're going to go forward with this, two Vix appeals to her and makes this kind of like and here's part of what makes the episodes too interesting, the kind of very ethical appeal that in Star Trek is supposed to convince us or convince us that the people acting against wrong, and instead Janeway goes ahead and does the thing. The doctor be a part of it because he says he cannot do no harm. That doesn't attack that buttically do all the things to press the transporter button, to do the radio. I see it it possible, and Ween and Neelix back and no one's sort of saying whether this was the right or wrong decision. So that's just kind of kind of give it more framing, And Riki, what do you think of her decision?
Speaker 4: Well, I want to start first by in terms of framing, just go over the I guess biography of this episode real yeaking for So this is season two of Voyager, episode twenty four of the season, so it's very late in season two overall of the fortieth episode of the show. The story was written by Andrew Shepherd Price and Mark Gaberman, the teleplay by Kenneth Biller, and then it was directed by Cliff Bowle. It aired in on May sixth, almost May fourth, nineteen ninety six. So for listeners who aren't aware, I want to remind people, like television was very different in the nineties, just based on the episode count right, episode twenty four, like most TV shows had twenty six episodes per season, so it was a very long season. You have to have what we often describe as filler episodes, and this is like, this is definitely a filler episode, right in terms of what Star Trek Voyager is. It doesn't advance really the main plot of getting them home sooner. There's no overarching like villain of the season. I believe season two they were still dealing with like the Kson, so there's nothing that interacts with the overall main plots of the show. So this is filler, but this is amazing filler. And going back to your question, what do I think of her decision? Well, I think I mean, just in one sentence, I'll say it's murder, it's capital punishment, and I think it's wrong.
Speaker 5: That's fair, that's fair.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I let me just start with the framing of it and then we can get into like the rights and wrongs of it and all of the stuff that prounds it. I think that I think you're right that in some way it is filler. But it is filler of the very best kind. And the thing that I think is so often lost in the Disney Plus mini series kind of era that we're living in now, because you know, I love serialized storytelling, but there's another kind of storytelling that episodic can be a part of. Where it is episodic, but it's also like the episodes are part of a longer theme. Because the whole point of Star Trek Voyager is what happens when a particular voyager is teleported, you know, all the way across the galaxy, has no communication anymore with their friends, their family, with Starfleet, with anything else. They are completely on their own and they have to figure out what to do to survive and get back. And in terms of Jane Way, her overall story is the need to frankly become harder and harder as a person because of the need to make these very unfortunate decisions that sometimes we may disagree with and sometimes but that I think that that Jane Way feels that she has to make in order to make in order to let the ship survive and her crew survive and her crew get home, and that I think the question that she's wrestling with throughout the show is when and where can I live to my principles and where and where when and where should I abandon my principles in order to do what seems more pragmatic or more more you know, efficient in the moment, rather than what is my principle would say. And I just I think that for that reason, episodes like this kind of are the heart of the show in that they are it's.
Speaker 5: Filler and that it's a one off episode.
Speaker 6: To me, this episode is an essential part of that journey of how she gets there, So it's like it's filler, but also it's it's essential to the story.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 5: The thing for me.
Speaker 4: That I don't like about Voyager as a show is that it doesn't come back to things like the episodic nature is like like a fire and forget like we wrote this episode, it's excellent. The name Tuvix is never mentioned again in Voyager. Yeah right, And this is supposed to be like a very important issue, not just for us as viewers, but for the people I show. Like the episode itself takes place over I don't know, I'd probably say weeks, right, Like they have kind of montages, montage things where we are shown two Vix like doing the job of Tuvak and Neelix and interacting with crew members and giving the sense that time has passed, and that's part of the important thing, Like this isn't just a two vix existed for a day and like we're switching it back, like no two Vix was a part of the crew for Like again, I'm gonna say weeks, if not months maybe and given a chance to be a person on the ship. And that's part of the issue here. And I also want to go back and say the actor who plays tuovis his name is Tom Wright. So they got a completely different actor from Tim Russ and Ethan Phillips who played tuvakan Neelix, respectively, and he came in and kind of drew upon like his knowledge of you know, they filled him in on the characters he was portraying, and he watched some episodes and also like interacted with the actors themselves to get some of their mannerisms, and he did an excellent job. Like Tom Wright, is part of the reason this is so effective is that we feel like he is a distinct person, but we recognize the elements of the other two in so he did an excellent job.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's good, And.
Speaker 7: That's part of it.
Speaker 4: Is like we as the audience feel this weight, yeah, because we're like, oh, yeah, like two ficks, Like we are engineered by the show to like the other two because we've interacted with them for a season and a half, almost two seasons, and I think there's a there's a television show conceit that. Yeah, like the other two are coming back, like we can't get rid of them, right, but gosh darn, Like what if we had two Vicks for the rest of the show. Right, I'm not getting anything right now. I don't know if you can hear me, and I don't know how the recording goes on your end, but I've.
Speaker 5: Just got silence right now.
Speaker 6: So I would totally agree with you there. I think that the actor himself does a fantastic job. I never really feel like it's like, oh, he's Neelix now, or oh he's two VOCs now. In every moment, it feels like this is a synthesis of those two people, not the two people sort of fighting for.
Speaker 5: Control at any one moment. And I also want to.
Speaker 6: Lift up the special effects and to make up people for that exact same reason, because I never look at this character and think, oh, that doesn't really look like what I think a fusion of these two would look like like. I never for a moment doubt it, and remembering this is also like late nineties, early two thousands technology. This is not I'm sorry, no, even earlier. This is like, yeah, I think probably it's like late mid to late nineties when this is coming out. Maybe let me take it again. I remember, this is like technology that's twenty five years old probably, So it's not even like they're using all the cgi of today.
Speaker 5: They're just doing great makeup. And here's what I'll get to.
Speaker 6: What I think is one of the things that I find so challenging about this episode and thus makes me kind of like hate and love the writers because I think it's very intentional. I made a joke about this earlier, but I don't find Nelix a very enjoyable character to have on screen. He gets better after Cass is gone, because I think his treatment of Cass is one of the things I dislike most about him, But like I think he is incredibly rude to Tuvoc and sort of not accepting and understanding Tuvak's a lack of emotions. I think I just find him annoying on screen, and I find Tuvis to be often quite annoying on screen. I don't enjoy him as a character, and I found myself really missing Tuvac. And then I think to myself, is that part of why I am okay with Janeway killing him to bring those two back? Because I don't like him because I find him uncomfortable. And to me, that's one of the best like mind screws of the whole episode, because I think that's it's impossible for the characters themselves to divorce themselves of that question. You know, Cass is someone who I think has kind of made the focus of it in some ways. She has a romantic relationship with Neelick, she has this spiritual and sort of mentor relationship with Tuvac. She misses them greatly. Jane Way misses them greatly, and I feel like the show doesn't give us us way to get off the hook of that of saying, oh no, we would do this under any circumstances. It seems pretty clear that there are emotional feelings for the two people who are going to be brought back, and maybe even for some of them, they are annoyance at the person who isn't is a part of us, and certainly it's a part of how I watch it, which I think is exactly the point.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm. I completely agree with you on the makeup department because for me, I find two Vick's his look yeah, uncomfortable, ugly even, And I'm not saying ugly, like the actor is a good looking person, like they are in Hollywood, and the makeup is competently done, well done, But I think the unfamiliarity makes it uncomfortable because we see aspects of both both of the previous characters and we've gotten used to them to some degree, right, Like I'm I to him not a fan of Neelix, like either his character or his look, but we've gotten used to him at this point in the show. So when you were presented like it's Uncanny Valley almost, and you're like, I don't like this character for some reason, and like Neelix is supremely problematic in the show for multiple reasons, and they highlight the one at the beginning and you mentioned this. He keeps calling Tuvak mister Vulcan in like this funny like hey buddy, mister Vulcan kind of way, and that's awful, Like Vulcan is a race. Can you imagine having a friend like can you imagine calling me like mister Japanese or mister japan Like I'd be like, the heck are you doing?
Speaker 6: Especially while he was constantly trying to like convince you to not be some of the things that you think of as being a parent to being you know, Japanese American. Yeah, because it's not just any saying I'm recognizing your thing. It's like he's constantly saying I wish you would smile more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, stop, He's like stop being a Vulcan basically, So it would be like if I was like, hey, Matthew, like I cooked fried rice today because you know, I like fried rice, and you'd be like, oh, like, that's that's a fun mail mister Japanese.
Speaker 6: Like me, yeah, And I think that that's where I'm sorry, and I think that that is again it's it's so intentional of the writers to put us in that situation where we're asking ourselves how much of this is about our individual feelings about these characters, Because you know, I studied ethics in college and grad school. It's a part of my degree. And one of the things that ethics really likes to do in terms of the formal study of it is try to separate out the individual actors of an individual situation and come up with a more general rule, you know, like you shouldn't kill. I think it's a pretty standard basic or at least you shouldn't murder is a pretty basic ethical rule in most ethical systems and religions and people points of view. But then when you make it very much more specific, you know, it gets it gets into questions of like, okay, well, is this person a danger? Is this part like you know, all of those kind of things that can happen, And the point is say no, no, we should have a rule that isn't about the specifics, that is.
Speaker 5: It a general rule.
Speaker 6: And part of what makes this so challenging is this isn't a situation that we've faced before or that we're going to face again.
Speaker 5: And this is kind of what I was saying before.
Speaker 6: This is a very unique situation that probably no one in the galaxy is going to face again because it's all about this very rare flower and you know, the techno babble that Star Trek does, it's kind of make it all make sense. And so you know, it's not something, as I said at the beginning, it's not something that I can apply as a one for one situation.
Speaker 4: I will mention that the Star Trek show Lower Decks actually encounters the situation again, because that show is a is a meta commentary on Star Trek in general, and it's it's a very funny episode where like, for whatever reason, they're transporting this flower because that's the technobabble, as you said, and two characters get and they actually use it as a verb two mixed, and because it's a comedy show, that character actually the Captain reads Janeway's log She's like, oh, like this is exactly what happened on Voyage with Jane Way, and then she reads the log and she's like, the f like they murdered him. They killed him. I think that's the name of the episode. They killed him, and the person who is too vexed also reads the log is like, oh, heck no, like I'm not down for that and ends up like capturing other crew members and two fixing them. So it's kind of like a like invasion of the body Snatchers thing and then like the characters like end up fixing everything obviously, but it's it's a fun callback. And I liked that the writers of the show were like, yeah, like he murdered that guy, mm hmm, because that's how I feel, right, is yeah, And I think we should talk about this because Star Trek has this framework of morality that has become famous, right, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or one you know, famously from when Spock sacrifices himself come on spoilers, right, like sacrifices himself as Star Trek to the wrath of Khan, and that is often presented in other Trek franchises, shows and movies as like this absolute, like if if you have the opportunity to save multiple people by sacrificing one, you should do it, and it's it's the trolley problem, right.
Speaker 6: I would actually disagree with you strongly there. I think it's presented that Vulcans feel that way. But if you remember in the very next movie, The Search for Spock, when Spock is trying to understand why so many people put their line at risk for him, Kirk looks at him and dead Eye says, the needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many. And I can't think the show has always tried to the overall franchise has always tried to hold those two intentions and recognize that like, yes, overall there's a there's an idea of the needs of the many, but also that can become like we crush the individual in favor of the group, and that that's not okay either.
Speaker 4: That's true, they reverse that, But I will note that no one died. I guess the character dies. One character dies, but he's also like, why did you, like, why did you risk your careers? Like that's how it's prevented as a as a balance, right, right, I think like Spock sacrifice is much more poignant because if he doesn't make that sacrifice, the enterprise blows up, right and whatever thing was going on the Genesis weapon. So it's interesting because like he was, he was also going to die anyway if that happens, right, So I think it does bear more logic in this case. In the TUFAC example, it's very different in my opinion, because the other two are already gone in a sense. There you can say they're dead, they're not, but they're they're gone. And now you were saying you have to sacrifice one being to bring to two other beings back from a situation like that, and that's and that's like, you know, there are always gonna be variations on the trolley problem, but that to me is like a fundamental difference and why I think this is murder. And and I've seen like Trek producers comment that this was the first instance of capital punishment in Trek and they've noted it that way and treat it as such.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I think that that's where this is kind of I totally agree with what you're saying there, and I think this is what gets into what I was saying at the beginning about how when sci fi presents a question that is quite different than anything else, because like I was trying to think of like similar situations in our own world, and you know, one that comes to mind is, like, you know, every person with two healthy kidneys, you could kill that person and then give those two kidneys to potentially like save the life of two other people, you know, or like some other thing where like someone has you know, there have been cases of where someone has, like ah, for some reason, like their particular liver is like the only thing where they could have like a very reduced quality of life if they sacrificed part of their liver to save someone else. And there've been court cases and and generally, I think both ethics and the law and we can debate it, have been pretty firm on the idea of, like you cannot force another person to significantly alter their life just in order to save a potential other person. And that gets into a whole other stream of things. But that's the point is that's not the same as this, because you say in this those two are already gone, and I think that that's very true. I think though for me, and this is what I think for me, the question becomes even more complex, is that when if we look at the framework of the needs of the many versus the needs of the one.
Speaker 5: I don't think we're just talking about.
Speaker 6: The needs of the already dead Tuvac and Neelix, because I think part of what the show also puts forward, and I think this is what Janeway is certainly acting on, is not just the needs of those two, but the needs of the whole crew.
Speaker 5: And that does the whole crew need those two, I.
Speaker 6: Would say, especially tu Vak, but but also in some ways Neelix in order to not all of them die here.
Speaker 5: In the delta quadrant.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And I think that's again where I really appreciate this, because in some ways I feel like this is kind of like I.
Speaker 5: Love a good trolley problem.
Speaker 6: But I think the reason why eventually I come down with Janeway is that I think that there's you know, the trolley problem often gets critiqued as being like, oh, that's for intellectuals, that's for people who think you can discuss this all every ethical question in some sort of like let's separate out all the emotions and let's just look at it intellectually, and let's separate out of the context, and I think the point of this episode is that you can't do that. This isn't just three people living at home and two people have lost their lives and one person has gained a life.
Speaker 5: This is members of a crew.
Speaker 6: Who are under an incredible situation, who are in an incredibly difficult situation where everything has to go right for them to survive, let alone get back home. And like, to me, that level of analysis is where I think I can come down on janeway side, but where I also agree that it is a murder that Janeway has created, that has that she has done, and not to I keep mistaking Star Trek for Star Wars and not to pull it back to that, but like to me, Star Wars gives another example of something that I think is one hundred percent a murder in cold blood and is probably necessary. And it's in Rogue one when Cassie and Andor realizes that unless he shoots his friend in the back who has helped him, his friend is going to give him away and he's not gonna be able to get away, and and the chance to destroy the Death Star is gonna be lost. And I'm just using it as another example. I think there's others where I think that, like, is this morally compromised?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 6: Do I think Janeway is somewhat in the wrong, Yes, Do I think that it's probably the least wrong of all of the wrong alternatives. I think so, yeah, But I'm not sure. And I think that's to me, that's what makes the episodes so good.
Speaker 4: You use the word emotional earlier, and I think that's a very important component of this, is that it's an emotional decision for Janeway because Tuvac is her best friend among this crew, like they've served together the longest, and he is he what he is was her right hand man on this crew. And then the way that they also bring in Kess, who had the relationship with Neelix, and he Tuvis tries to kind of like because he has Neelix's feelings, tries to rekindle the romance and they have like a nice dinner together, and she Kess ends up deciding and making a plea to Janeway saying, if you have this opportunity, like bring them back, bring Neelix back, like I miss him. She cries. It's a deeply emotional scene. It's one of Jennifer Leann's best performances on the show. It's unfortunately because like she wasn't really given a great chance. Like the character itself herself is not great. But I think she did a great job in this episode and it really drives home the point. And I think it helps us, says audience members, to remember that someone likes Neelix, like because we don't. And I say that jokingly, but it's I think it's important and it it helps so much because like the bring Tuvac back because you know he's better at his job or like essential for the crew or whatever, like that makes sense. But when you have this emotional tearful please like I miss Neelix, Like that's like the gut wrenching part where like, okay, I think that helps us get over this hop.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I'll say again, here's where I think the writers were brilliant because they could have made the Tuvik's character like cross some ethical lines in terms of how hard he's pursuing Kess, But he doesn't, right he he He clearly indicates that he would like to continue the relationship that nelix In and her had in a new way. He does kind of like offer a kiss at one point and like let her know how he feels. But the moment she shows on comfort, he pulls back. And I remember kind of wanting him to go over the line so that I could hate him. I wanted to not like him, and he didn't do that. I found other things about him problematic. But I think that's the kind of like I don't want to make this about autism, because like I mean, I'm autistic myself, and like, the discussion about that thirty years ago is so different than the one today. But there is something to the fact that, like, the people we find socially uncomfortable are often the lives that we aren't quite as quick to play value on. And just to add one more part to it, I think one of the overarching parts of the story that I haven't mentioned yet but is essential, is that all of Jane Wai's idea of I have to get back the I have to get the crew back, no matter what the cost, no matter what the ethical or moral cost. That is my prime directive stems in part from the fact of guilt, because the show starts with her making a moral and practical decision, her making a moral and principal decision where according to her mortals and principles. She won't allow this technology to fall into the hands of this group called the Kason, who are kind of the clingons of this part of the galaxy, but without the honor that they get. She doesn't want them to be able to force this empire and to take over lots of people and kill lots of people. And so she does the moral thing, even though practically it means that her crew is now stranded in the Delta Quadrant, possibly forever. And I felt that the show has been pretty clear that a lot of what's causing her to say, like, I will never do that again is her guilt about that and her wondering if she made the right decision. And so I think that's it's one more part where emotions are playing into this of she feels like she already made a terrible sacrifice for her principles and she can't do it again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And if you watch Prodigy, the Janeway character I think continues to be driven by that. She pursues rescuing Chacote to a degree that seems, you know, like not correct from a you're an admiral point of view, but it's like, oh yeah, like of course, like, after what she's got done and been through, like she's gonna do a lot to rescue Chakote. What do you think about kind of the end scene after Janeway makes the decision, Tuvac exits her ready room and is on the bridge and he forces her right to make this confrontation in front of everyone and then makes these the emotional please to the other crew members, and I don't I don't think anyone other than Tuvik's or Janeway says a word, and the uncomfortable looks as he like he walks to each of them, you know, like goes to Paris Tom. Paris is like Tom, like you're my friend, and he just like looks down, like doesn't look him in the eye. It was so uncomfortable, Yeah, you know, intentionally so.
Speaker 5: And the first time I watched, Oh sorry, finish your thought, no.
Speaker 4: No please, I want to hear your reaction to that scene.
Speaker 6: The first time I watched it, I think I felt he was being selfish and uncomfortable, and that was part of what allowed me to feel like Janeway was totally in the right, And looking back on that, I think I was trying to justify it to myself. Yeah, because I think what he does is completely legitimate. He's pleading for his life, he's pleading for his life. But it's also the I think a lot of the times, like you know, the boss pulls us into her office to very privately tell us why they're going to do something that probably the other workers would think is horribly unethical or wrong, and no, like make the boss fire you in public, make the boss tell you in public that the union isn't allowed, that you're not allowed to wear that. Like, I think there's something really a powerful moral statement about when power does something. Let the people who are like who you know, who they have power over, they have to see that. And in a similar way, I think what the doctor does is it's just a five second thing. They never talk about it, but it's so essential because and I'm rarely going to quote Ned Stark as someone I look to for moral guidance because I think he's kind of the from Game of Thrones and a Song of Ice and Fire. I think he's a character who has often looked at as the person who lets his principles go too far, and I think I largely agree with that, But one of his core principles, which I do agree with is that the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword like anytime he sentences someone to die. And I fully disagree with capital punishment, but I agree with this like I think, like if you're on a jury and you sentence set capital punishment, you and the district attorney or whoever's the prosecutor should all have to collectively press that button, Like you cannot decide a person should die without you having to be the person who does it. And what the doctor does is winds up putting Janeway in that exact And I think that's part of why I think, because Janeway agrees with that without having she didn't thought I can think about it before, is why she doesn't make the doctor do it. She doesn't make She's just like, you're totally right, you're fine, and then she goes ahead and she even tells the because what the doctor.
Speaker 5: Does is to uh.
Speaker 6: Issue the radio, the isotrope, the technical babble thing that's medically injected. And then the transporter officer is supposed to just press the button on the transporter, but she goes ahead and presses that button as well. And to me, yeah, she does both of them. And to me, that's the a. It's because I think, and this is part of it. She's protecting everyone else. No one else has to do this. It is literally just her responsibility and because I think she wants to live with that responsibility. And like we see Kess be happy that Nelix is back and Janeway kind of acknowledges that you back, but I think she's still pretty haunted by it, and I think that's very important.
Speaker 4: She walks out of the med Bay sick Bay, sorry, and just walks into the hallway and the camera tracks her camera is like on her face and it walks with her out into the hallway and we see her face like transform from resolute like I had to do this to I think sadness. I don't know, Like it's it's a very beautiful scene and Kate mulgrew does such a great job again like with no dialogue, Like it's just she's just walking and her face is like gradually changing as she leaves Sick Bay and leaves you know, the the other characters behind, so she has like her I'm the captain face and then like we see her personal face like how she actually feels, and it's a transformative facial expression. It's just a great I don't know, it's twenty seconds yeah, of just watching a person and it's beautiful. Like these kinds of moments are what make this episode affective. And it's like all silence, you know, saying how none of the other bridge crew say anything. It's just their facial expressions. But they're consenting, right, Like they are consenting to this or they're not objecting to it, but they cannot look too vix in the eye as they consent.
Speaker 6: Well, And another moral atage is silence is consent. Yeah, And I think that's very true. And I think you know, when people say, oh, but it's just my government, I couldn't change it. Like no, at the end of the day, we can rise up, you know. I mean it's very hard, but like I'm not say that flippantly, but yeah, like silence is consent to some extent. It's why I when when when I was part of when I lived in California, in the state of California killed someone, I would feel like, you know, I had been part of that, and I would say say that to folks that like every person in the state of California just murdered someone, and I voted against the death penalty any chance I got. But still it was the state doing it in my name, and it's Janeway doing it like that. I want to interject here, I want to bring in some comments from other sources on this. First of all, just to say, as kind of a tribute to the episode, this episode came out in nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 4: You're still talking about it.
Speaker 6: And not only are we still talking about it, but I had the idea to post on Facebook, and all I wrote was, hey, star trek fans, was Jane way Wright in the episode?
Speaker 5: Tuovis? That's all I said.
Speaker 6: And I think that's a great idea for us to do. Then we try to do more of posting those kind of questions, especially even more on the official page of these podcasts. I did it on my own social media page. Now, the mistake I made is I posted it fourteen minutes before we started recording. My point here, though, is that we got over twenty comments within about half an hour of me posting that, and the first ten comments came in within five minutes.
Speaker 4: People have feelings.
Speaker 5: People have feelings.
Speaker 6: Probably for a lot of them, they haven't watched this episode in ten fifteen twenty years, but they have feelings about it, so a to me, that's just an incredible testament to how good this episode is. But I want to bring in a couple of other comments because I think they were late directly the things we've said. First, we were talking about how there's an extent to which, well, I think we both think that this obviously has an effect on Jane Way that, as you pointed out, we never actually hear the word tuvox set tuvix set again and that that's I think a real failure.
Speaker 5: And Daniel Lee, who.
Speaker 6: Someone else we know from the Judge program, wrote the problem with tuvix wasn't that what she chose to do?
Speaker 5: Honestly, could they could have executed that? Lol?
Speaker 6: Either way, the problem was that it was never mentioned with it again, that it was never mentioned again. Nobody wrestled with it, No one had second thoughts or dilemmas, not that we ever saw.
Speaker 5: And I think.
Speaker 6: That is this TV show, Like we forget how much the ability to go back and watch any episode affects us. When this episode came out, like DDR was still barely a thing, and like certainly there wasn't streaming or anything like that, And I think as a result of that, the expectation was that most people wouldn't watch every single episode, and so writers often didn't want to put someone in a situation where if they hadn't watched a previous episode, they were now going to turn off the current episode. And I think that a part of that is that they sometimes when they try to have things that were not purely episodic, they were like somewhat serialized in terms of the Jane Way before this episode is different than the Janeway afterwards. They would do that, but they wouldn't go back to it. And I guess what all I'm was saying is I think that if the show was written today, they absolutely have brought it back. I think it is a failing of the show that they don't. But I also think that someone having to do with like this is some of the first times that true episodic television was trying to be more serialized, and so I give them some credit for it, although I'll say DS nine obviously did it much much better, so I'm not really letting them off the hook, but I'm saying I think that I think understanding that context helps to explain why they didn't why they never went back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the television conceit of it all. I mentioned earlier that it would have been nice if we had had more of a chance to get to know two Vix, Like they give us the montage and make it clear that the crew got to know him. But if this were a modern television show, I think it would have been much more interesting to just like have the episode end with two Vix existing and have even like two or three more episodes where we have two Vix as a character and then have this, oh, by the way, like we can fix this now and go back, And that would have been amazing, right, like for a show to do something like that. But yeah, like I get the conceit of the episodic nature the actors. You know, you cannot have the two main actors not be on the show contractually or for whatever reasons. So yeah, like this had to happen in this way in nineteen ninety six a shame.
Speaker 5: But I.
Speaker 4: Agree with Daniel that again, like they never say his name again, and even in the next episode, if you just have a scene where a character comes into the mess hall and like accidentally calls him, two Vix calls Nelix tubs or something like that as a callback would be I don't think that would have been a distraction, and it would be a nice reminder like, oh, yeah, that happened to people who've been watching, and even like for people who didn't watch to be like what Tuo Vix Oh, like, I guess that was the name of the previous episode, I didn't watch it, and then give them like that hint.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think you're right, and I I'm conflicted about the idea of having having him around for a number of more episodes because I think that happened and I think this is why they didn't, and maybe it's the point either way. I think it would make the decision feel much worse and it would be much clearer that she shouldn't have done it, and I think that would help to make one side of the argument. But I think the point is that it's supposed to be so difficult, so in some ways they feel like the only way you could do that is if yes, you gave everyone a chance to like Tuovex a lot more. But also there was like like they get in a battle where two Vix does a really good job, but Tuvac would have been better and like the crew is put in danger, like to have something to give it both sides of like, yes, we're really getting to know Tuvix, but we're also seeing the problems of not having Tubac and DLX in some way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just.
Speaker 4: Think that Voyager. One of the fundamental problems with Voyager as a show was that they reset everything every episode almost yeah, like the Year of Hell right as a two parter where they use time travel to reset like a whole battle where Voyager is basically destroyed, and that cause to attention that Voyager is always clean, like the outside is clean, the inside is clean, like the battle damage, even like Minor Bantle, that damage is never persistent across episodes.
Speaker 9: Even though that they never have the opportunity to dock in a star Bass. So like this to me highlights like the What is in my opinion, the fundamental problem with Voyager unfortunately, is that, Yeah, it doesn't sell the fact that they're isolated and alone and that it should get dirty, like it should stop looking like a Starfleet vessel and look more like a Star Wars vessel.
Speaker 5: It should get worse and worse.
Speaker 6: Right, In some ways, I kind of think that it was a show before it's time, because I just I think they did. I don't think they did the best they could with the episodic format they had. I think they tried to do decently and made a lot of mistakes. But like imagine like the Paramount plus Discovery Brave New World era of television, I think if you titch this kind of a story now, and to some extent, Discovery has become that.
Speaker 5: But that's the whole other question.
Speaker 6: But I think if you had a Voyager type story today, with today's kind of storytelling, I think it would really work very well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and another good.
Speaker 4: Well, I was gonna say, like the the thing, like part of again, like the television conceit is that they reuse footage, right, Like for the exterior shots of Voyager, like flying through space, they re use footage because that's like how you save money on the budget of a show like this. And so yeah, I think maybe a modern show, especially with like the digital technology they have now, they would have had the opportunity to have that persistent damage to be like okay, like in this battle, like this part of the ship got a little blackened, and now like going forward, we're going to keep that because it would not cost as much to like chain alter that footage.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, I think it's a huge Yeah, you have to, like, if you want to show that piece has been broken off voyager, you have to break a piece off the model. And then when you want to make say the piece has been remade, you have to remake the model, you know. I mean, that's just so there's another comment that Casey made. There's another comment from that Facebook post that was made by Casey Lauder, who's a Scottish judge who I know pretty well, who's another fantastic person. The second so there's another comment we got from Casey Lauder, a Scottish judge who I've become friends with, and this I think really speaks to a lot of what we're talking about. And she writes, I don't think there is a right answer. There's plenty of wrong ones. Just as it's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose, I think it's possible to do everything correctly and still be wrong. And that hit me particularly hard because I saw a couple of people compare this to the next generation, where a lot of times in the next generation, you know, Jeordie or someone else will come up with some kind of technological way of squaring the circle, you know, of allowing Tuovics to exist while bringing those two back or someone else. And I do think one thing to Voyage's credit is that, in part because it doesn't have the resources within the show, they don't do that a lot that often, and they'll just say, like, no, you really have to make one of these two choices. And another friend of mine made a joking comment, but I think it's actually very accurate here on Casey's comment, and he wrote, I don't you know, I don't believe in a no win scenario, but I think that this is like Captain Kirk could not survive in The Voyager. Like they're all what Jane Way has faced with all the time are no win scenarios where there is no good answer. There's having to choose what is the least bad. And I hate that and I will always like, I think it's very easy to ethically to sit in an ethical armchair and critique her, and I'm doing that, and I think though that part of the whole point of the story is but yeah, this is the situation she's in and there is no right answer, and she's doing the best she can.
Speaker 4: Yeah, fair enough. I certainly would not have wanted to make this decision. I agree with you that Next Generation would have tried to do something a little cleaner. Maybe the next generation the show, like, I don't know what decision Captain Picard would make. And that's very different because on Next Generation, the Enterprise would have all of the resources of the Federation, right, like the best side of right minds and all that, And that plays too like Voyager's storyline of being isolated. And yeah, you mentioned earlier that like they need to voc to survive, is like an interesting argument.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, no for and I think that came out more as my kind of defense of why I'm on team Jane Way. I think the main point of that is even if you're still against Janeway, which I think is totally legitimate. That's again, it's what makes the show so good in this regard. Yeah, exactly just says it is that she like she doesn't have those other options that Picard would have because he has the full resources of Starfleet and this much bigger ship and all that kind of thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in terms of like the impact of this episode, I just want to point out that in twenty twenty four years ago, Alexandria Cassier Cortes was on when at the time was called Twitter social media site and commented on this episode and then Kate mulgrew responded, that's amazing they had a conversation about this, so love that that's the impact of the and the legacy that this one episode had, and that there's the fact that you can just like say the word Tuo vix and Star Trek fans will have an opinion on it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and like further underlining that, another friend of mine wrote one of the best ethical dilemmas in all of Star Trek.
Speaker 5: I am still so conflicted. Sure, Yeah, that's.
Speaker 6: It's not that all of us are like, oh yeah, everyone agrees Janeway is wrong. It's that we're still conflicted. And I think many people are pretty firm on one side or the other, but also a lot of us are like, I don't know, I haven't figured it out. It's been twenty eight years and I'm still thinking about this because it's so well done, and I want.
Speaker 4: To be clear, like I'm I am firm that I believe Jane Way made the wrong decision. I cannot be firm that if I were in the same situation and I had to make the decision whether I would do what I from here think is the right thing. And that goes back to like the emotional the emotions of it is of it all, like even if you spend a month with two Vicks, she knew Tubac for years, like a decade.
Speaker 6: Even Yeah, No, I think it's very true, and I think that that's in many ways, I feel like the lasting legacy of this episode is really kind of skewing trolley problems because like it's really about like you, the whole point of the trolley problem is somewhat to divorce the situation from your emotions, and we can't do that, we shouldn't do that. There are there is an emotional component that there is an emotional component to ethical decision making, and there should be.
Speaker 5: The question is, although, like to.
Speaker 6: What extent is your personal emotions and are you making a larger decision based on that you should or shouldn't be, you know, because I feel like the emotional aspect of all of this, including hearing his emotional appeal, should matter. I don't think Janeway like if Jane was saying, though I'm going to kill someone to get my good friend back, or I'm going to kill someone to assuage my guilt about what I did two years ago. I don't think that's a good use of emotions. And where do I draw that line? I have no idea.
Speaker 5: That's why I made this podcast so we can talk about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And the way the trolley problem is drawn, right, The classic way it's drawn is that the people on the tracks are stick figures. I think it is so telling to like the divorcing of the emotion, like if you drew actual people or like had photographs of actual people, and especially like people. You know, it's like, oh, I think I'm gonna make a different decision than I do when we're just talking about theoretical stick figures.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: Jacob Alichich, who's another person we know from the Judge program who was a co host of this podcast for a long time, and I hope will be guessed again, he wrote, I also think she did it for selfish reasons. I understand her decision, but I think it was unethical. I would probably do the same thing in her position. Yeah, kill one person so that two people I know can live. It's a trolley problem situation for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's very similar to what I just expressed, is that I think it's wrong, but I probably I might. I might also do the wrong thing if it's.
Speaker 6: My friends, right, Any last comments on this episode, I mean, I think we could do like a whole you know, a whole podcast on this episode. Frankly, there's so much more about it, But any last things you want to bring up or question.
Speaker 4: Part of the thing that comes up with this is like sacrifice an agency, right, And when I mentioned Spock earlier, Spock makes the decision to sacrifice himself, and that's part of the conflict here that Tuviks does not want to die, He does not want to make the sacrifice. Janeway forces him, and that's why you know we refer to as murder capital punishment. And then people bring up like, well what about you know, Tuvac and Neelix, Like are they willing to sacrifice themselves to be two vix? And I think Janeway even makes this kind of argument like that she has to advocate for those two because they're not here, and and that's like another component of it. I think that that is important to ask, you know, the sci fi premise of it even with the sci fi framis, you can't ask Tuvac and Nelix how they feel. And even though Tuo Vix is a synthesis of them, he's not the like. He is his own person, and that's a very important part of all.
Speaker 6: Yeah, No, I think that's true. I just want to add one last quote. This quote comes into the friend of ours Andy. I think the argument of Januay making the right choice for the wrong reasons is a reasonable stance in this. She could use a lot of reasoning as to why she did it, but I don't think they would be the honest truth in the situation, which which I think is is Again, it's the kind of like, it's very easy to talk about separating your own emotional bias from the reasons you're doing things. But the flip side of that is, if you have an emotional bias that makes you want to make a decision, it's very easy to come up with non emotional reasons why you.
Speaker 5: Should make the decision. And I think that's a fair critique to make of a Janeway here.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, Well, this is obviously not something that exists in a vacuum. There's a lot of great things that happen on Star Trek shows and Voyager Raise Voyager among other Star Trek shows, raises a lot of great questions and stuff like that. We're going to talk a little bit more about our feelings on Voyager at the end of this in our bonus section for members, of course, you become a member from only five dollars a month fifty five dollars a year.
Speaker 5: It's a great Christmas gift if you want to give it to someone else.
Speaker 6: Of course, you can also give someone a Christmas gift of an audible subscription or a lightsaber. All the ways to do that and also support the podcast or also at the end of this episode, I'm having myself and Riki thank you all so much for being a part of this.
Speaker 4: We have spoken Lived Long and prosting, Lived Long and Podcast.
Speaker 5: Today is a good day to record a podcast.