Speaker 1: From Hollywood.
Speaker 2: It's time now for John Lund as Johnny Dollar al.
Speaker 3: Harford, Corinthian, Johnny, I have a case here. He won't like, but the commission will be good if we beat it.
Speaker 1: How big is the policy?
Speaker 3: Two hundred thousand dollars? I'm afraid to tell you the rest.
Speaker 1: Why it's in Hong Kong? You have to travel. You haven't scared me yet. Is there something you're leaving out?
Speaker 3: Policy holders are people we've had trouble with before. Remember the Transpacific Import Export outfit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I sent flowers to the widow. Transpacific was in Shanghai.
Speaker 1: Then this is their Hong Kong place.
Speaker 3: I want to take a crack at it.
Speaker 1: No, but I will al Yeah, I'm scared.
Speaker 2: Now tonight and every weekday night, John Lund in the Transcribed Adventures of a Man with the Action Packed Expense account America's Fabulous freelance insurance Investigator, Yours truly, Johnny Dollar. Expense Accounts submitted by a special investigator Johnny Dallar to Home Office, Corinthian Liability and Risk, Carford, Connecticut. The following is an accounting of expenditures during my investigation of the Trans Pacific matter. I found Hong Kong to be a city without simplicity, burdened with the tragic complexities of war. To fill the smallest one is a difficult and almost always expensive task, as a shortage of everything food, water helped places to live. Both the island and the city of Colown and the mainland burst with thousands of refugees who have moved from the interior. Over the bobbing head of my boy, I watched many of them lining the streets, wailing for arms as we made our way to the offices of the American Consulate.
Speaker 4: Yes, it is true. Life is very difficult here.
Speaker 1: Where are they all going?
Speaker 4: Many of them do not know? Where is it for him to go?
Speaker 1: What do they do? How do they stay alive?
Speaker 4: Many of them do not. It is not like this in your America.
Speaker 1: No, had it ever been well?
Speaker 2: There was a civil war once. The books I've read say that at times it was pretty.
Speaker 1: Bad, but not like this.
Speaker 2: Never.
Speaker 1: Yes, mister Grover, Louisa, mister Dollard, step in.
Speaker 4: Mister Grover is ready to speak with you.
Speaker 2: Thanks Ah, artwork Connecticut. It sounds for it, I suppose it would. It's a pleasure. Mister Dollar. Same here mister Grover s Don Insurance investigation. Now, yes, well, now what your errand and what can this office.
Speaker 1: Do for you?
Speaker 2: I'm here to investigate a claim filed by the Transpecific Import Export Company. Oh yes, yes, of course will Meadows from destroyed by fire last month one hundred percent or two hundred thousand dollars worth to my company.
Speaker 1: Do you know this William Meadow, mister.
Speaker 2: Grober Maddiam at the American Club. No, no, that's about all hey. Insurance investigators are hired when the company isn't satisfied with something about the claim.
Speaker 1: On this one, the fire was blamed on vandalism.
Speaker 2: Well, vandalism has become quite a popular pastime across and Cologne especially. Do you suspect some sort of fraud? Frankly, we do, mister Grover. Transpacific once had a branch in Shanghai. When the war closed in on them up there, their warehouse burnt to the ground, just like this one here I see, And it occurred to a number of people in my home office that Transpecific did much better by collecting on the insurance at that time than by going through the expense of liquidating mm hmm. I suppose coincidence won't quite do it with it. Well, now, how can I help the Well, i'd appreciate some phone calls or letters that would give me some support from the fire department the police. I don't suppose my problem seems very important out here, just thinking that very thing. It's always the case, mister Dollar, on the fringe of war, very few individual problems seem very important, nor are the individuals themselves. In the end, I trust you'll keep that in mind as you conduct your investigation here.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 2: I'll try to getting help even time from the police or fire brigade is one of those individual problems. But I'll do what I can for well, anything will help, mister Gilmer, I won't take up any more of your time. Eh. Elections must have been quite exciting back home. Oh yes they were. I missed that part of home very much. Oh, be sure to leave your number with my girl. I'll let you know about the official assistance. Well, I came right here from the airport. I don't have a number yet. Oh well, pretty tough. She as a matter of fact, almost impossible. The occidental places are always failed. I'll tell you speak with my receptionist miss vaders Vaderus. Yes, her fathers have Portuguese. He might have accommodations. She's a charming girl and nice people. Oh good, I'll ask her and thanks again, Oh, mister dollar.
Speaker 1: Just a matter of ventures.
Speaker 2: Yes, the case of the trans specific import in Shanghai. You say your company was forced to meet the claim there, that's right. Was it investigated? The investigator they sent over was killed before he could build a case. They blamed his death on war conditions too. They said he was robbed a knife by starving refugees. Nobody had time to dig up the truth. Msvadris arranged for accommodations at her father's place on a street called sing Long, a hill of steps that climbs from the waterfront to the plush European residences on the top of Victoria Peak. I had a room that looked out on an alley. There was an iron bed, a chair, and a pitcher of water on a bamboo table. There were no other non orientals in the building, but I seem to be the only one that noticed it. The first night there, I was suffering from a combination of claustrophobia and loneliness, feelings which at first made me glad to learn that it was she who to my door.
Speaker 4: Hello, miss Vaders, mister Grover contacted a man named Harrison. He's at a fire control office here. Oh, mister Grover asked me to tell you that mister Harrison will see you tomorrow morning.
Speaker 1: Oh that's good. Won't you come in?
Speaker 4: Are you comfortable? Oh?
Speaker 1: Thank you?
Speaker 2: Yes, I am a business fine, I uh, I don't have much to offer you cigarette.
Speaker 4: No, no, thank you. I am very curious about what why you are here business?
Speaker 1: If that's what you mean, it's a better kept confidential. Right now?
Speaker 4: Is the danger in this business?
Speaker 1: Why do you ask that?
Speaker 4: Because you are followed here and you are being watched. How do you know, se mong Street. I have seen this man, but not here.
Speaker 1: Where is he?
Speaker 4: Perhaps you can see him from the window.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, you tell me where he is.
Speaker 4: I'll look the shop on the other side, the boxes pie the door.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you say you've seen him where I kind.
Speaker 4: Of remember that I have just seen him.
Speaker 1: Well, no need to worry. There won't be any trouble here.
Speaker 4: You seem sure of that.
Speaker 2: I have the advantage right now. He doesn't know that I know he's there. Well, thanks for telling me about him.
Speaker 4: Perhaps you know who he is.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't think anybody knew I was in town.
Speaker 4: You will let this go on the watching.
Speaker 1: Not much choice. But let's talk about something else. Huh. What's that music? Oh?
Speaker 4: That is love song? Too many people who meet a new river.
Speaker 1: Oh, in America, the songs are different.
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, I know I like them.
Speaker 1: Do you know many Americans?
Speaker 4: Oh? Yes, at the consulate office, I see them all the time. I want to marry one.
Speaker 1: Well, i'd say he was a very lucky American.
Speaker 4: You misunderstand. I do not mean there's only one. I want to marry an American who would take me from China. There is no other way.
Speaker 1: You hate it that much.
Speaker 4: There is nothing else to do but hate it. There's no good here, always trouble. But Chinese are patient people. But I'm not all Chinese, and I cannot make myself be patient any longer. I want to go to America, where people thrive on impatiency. You know, I would think from what I've seen of them, the Americans are the most impatient people in the world.
Speaker 1: They say, we kill ourselves that way, heart and stomach.
Speaker 4: Still you live longer and better.
Speaker 1: What about your Portuguese people.
Speaker 4: Oh, dear gone, Hugh think I'm bad to be this way?
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, I didn't say that.
Speaker 4: I'm not bad.
Speaker 2: I hope you find your American mewsuaders. Hugh want me to go now, well, I think you'd better. I'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Yes, good night.
Speaker 2: Three things interfered with sleep that night. The pleading in the eyes of the girl, the smells and sounds that drifted into my room from the restless, crowded city, and the watcher who was still at this station across the street when I turned out my light. The toughest part of the case was that failure in Shanghai. At the age of had been killed. There was a sobering memory, and for that reason, every face on sing Wong Street was a suspicious one in every group of Hong Kong Chinese, a potential assassin. With my watcher the first to be reckoned with gun in hand, eyes on the street, I fell asleep that night watching him. The next morning there was a different man in his place. I was followed to the office of Harrison, the chief of the fire brigade, who had developed couldn't see me after all, So with the morning on my hands. I decided to talk to William Meadow, the head of Trans Pacific. Oh yes, home, mister Meadow at home.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, you give name please?
Speaker 2: Oh, gentlemen, my name is Dollar, mister Meadow. I'm from Corinthian Liability, Hertford office, all away from the stage. That's right, we mean, Oh, you'll come in please. Would't you say your name was Dollar? They weren't submited with that company anyway. This doesn't have to be on it there in Hartford with nothing to worry about but Sunday's golf game. They don't know anything about the conditions we're working under. They do know that you're a fire here pretty much follows the pattern of the one in Shanghai, and of.
Speaker 1: Course it does.
Speaker 2: The conditions are the same, including the starving refugees that kill and rob the investigator. I tell you this now, careless people are dying here every day. It can happen pretty easy. Now, I don't say what you have to say to me, and get out of here. It's very little, mister Meadow. I came here mainly to get my reaction to you. I have you jumped to the conclusion that you were under suspicion before I got through that door.
Speaker 1: You're on the defensive, so you must have a reason to be sure him out. Will you'll come now, mister doll wait.
Speaker 2: More important, you're having me followed, so you must be afraid of reason.
Speaker 1: It's a dollar hold on.
Speaker 5: I'm not afraid of your dollar or what you can find or what you might try to do. Corinthian liability means no more to me than a bill I authorize payment on. At the beginning of the year, my firm burned down here, and that dandy little company of yours is going to pay the claim.
Speaker 1: True.
Speaker 5: I don't like you snooping around. I don't like you coming here to my house like this, and you know it, no man would. That's the biggest parcel of information you'll ever get from me, that I'll go elsewhere. Good idea. Have your dreams, donar, but have them someplace else. Go snoop through the ashes, they're cold. Mainly, just get out.
Speaker 2: Of you, and how mister doll or players I can find the door. Two things came out of that conversation with William Meadow. One reasonable platform to build a suspicion too, a veiled threat.
Speaker 1: In his reference to the agent who had been killed in Shanghai. Let me elaborate on that.
Speaker 2: Most all of what Meadows was saying to me was this is my town, and I run things. Anybody who gets in my way can get hurt.
Speaker 1: Hm.
Speaker 2: It was a real nice situation, all right. I'd been threatened and I was being followed. Expense account item two seven dollars for Scotch. I rickshawed back to my hotel, locked myself in and took up my vigil by the window. Same watcher, same kind of night in the city where life was supposedly so cheap mine began to grow expensive. Be sure to hear tomorrow's episode of Yours Truly Johnny Dollar, starring John Lund, who can currently be seen in the Universal International picture Just Across the Street. Yours Truly Johnny Dollar is written by E Jack Newman with music by Eddie Dunsteader, and is transcribed in Hollywood by Heimi del Vaie.
Speaker 1: This is Dan Cumberly.
Speaker 2: Inviting you to join us every day Monday through Friday, when John Lund appears as Yours Truly Johnny Dollar. Remember you meet adventure when you meet Johnny Dollar on the CBS Radio Network. Make