Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome back to SideQuest. This is our mostly usually weekly video game show here at Geekverse. We've been a little inconsistent here in August, but we're back, and we're going to have a second episode later this week as well. I'm your host, Dylan Moss, and I have with me the isometric Kirkland Patzer. How are you doing tonight, my friend?
Speaker 2: I'm doing good. Yeah, we're getting close to the end of summer. I'm very much looking forward to the fall, and we are fast approaching that, but no, I'm good.
Speaker 1: I'm good. Yeah, it's been a couple weeks since we've had a SideQuest episode, as we announced a few weeks ago. Just kind of reducing the amount of SideQuests we're doing for the month of August, since we're all kind of busy. We're not really playing a lot of video games right now. So instead, we're kind of filling that with other episodes. But here we are to do coverage of Opening Night Live, which just had its opening night here on the suite August 25th. And then we'll be back later this week for the GTA coverage episode. GTA of course there's been all sorts of leaks about what's been happening but there's an official reveal set for later this week showing off a bunch of gameplay and other systems and based on some of these leaks which I haven't watched any of them but I've just seen bullet point lists of all the crazy shit that exists in this game I think that'll be a fun one to break down so me and Travis will cover that one on Thursday kind of as soon as we can after that show happens so yeah it's fun to be back and then I think we'll actually be back next week as well to do the updated draft because of course we draft a bunch of games earlier in the year But then, naturally, a bunch of things get delayed, such as Ontos, which is on your list that we'll talk about later. And so we're here to repick and finish off some new games that have been announced here to add to our drafts for the rest of the year. So it should be a fun kind of trifecta of side quest episodes back to back here. And we're going to kick it off, though, before we get into opening night live, with a Patreon question that I already posed to Travis and Taylor on previous episodes of SideQuest. But, Kirk, you haven't been on SideQuest in a while, so it's time for you to answer the very same question. That is from Sam Green. In more words, asking, what are some games that you wish you could replay again for the first time? So you wipe your brain, wipe your memory of them, and have that experience of being able to play a game for the first time again. I feel like this is one of those classic thought experiments in games, movies, anyone who's into this kind of stuff. So I'm curious, what are the first ones? And I just posed this question to you like five minutes ago, so it really is just top of your mind kind of stuff. But yeah, what comes to mind for you? What are some games you wish you could experience again for the first time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, great question. This is definitely a fun thought experiment. Just looking back, especially because we have so much nostalgia when we look back on video games of like, It might not even be a good video game, but just like because of what was out at the time, you know, like early, let's say like Xbox original, like first time I played like Halo or something like that, just like that just felt like the future, even though like, of course, there's now like Halo campaign evolved, I think is what it's called, like the new one. But like original Xbox graphics, like I'm sure that's just so chunky and nasty looking compared to what we're able to accomplish these days. but no like that would definitely be one that comes to mind is that original Halo just co-op split screen like just what an experience that was the first time that I played it and that would be so cool just jumping into the universe of Halo and not knowing absolutely anything we've never got the Pablo shows we've never got any like sequential.
Speaker 1: So in your mind you're banishing all knowledge of any Halo which I guess you would have to do if you're playing the first game again it doesn't really make sense to have like Halo 2 exist but not Halo 1.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely. So like that would just be so interesting, like digesting the universe while you're going through it for the first time. I don't know if digesting was the right way to say that, but I'm just going to roll with it because it sounded nice in my mind. But yeah, just consuming the world that is Halo on your first playthrough. Like that would just be so cool to experience. Of course, yeah, not having any prior knowledge to like what's going to be coming down the line. So yeah. I think that could be a really, really cool one. Knights of the Old Republic, for sure. If you pose this question to Travis, I'm sure he said that one.
Speaker 1: I think he did say that, and I think Taylor said Halo Reach specifically, but he might have also mentioned Halo 1 as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just because the story of that is just so intriguing. It is a pretty long game, but it has a really interesting character, whatever you want to call it. And of course, on another platform, replay if you know what happens with certain characters like you can't ever forget that information that would be pretty cool to uh to get that gut punch uh again just for the first time i think that that'd be a really special one um i was thinking like something in the elder scrolls vein just because like it is so near and dear to my heart um yeah what would you pick for that one i know right like that that is the question i've only like played through completely skyrim um.
Speaker 1: Oblivion makes a lot of sense because it has that remaster remaster that just came out and like so that could i would.
Speaker 2: Probably because i would be what i go with actually i'd.
Speaker 1: Be fearful of morrowind and how if i wouldn't if it wouldn't hit the same for me as i'm older now you know and it's.
Speaker 2: A very that's a really good point that's a really good point like oblivion although i haven't like like fit like myself played through it and rolled credits on it i at least like know the story like i i've like i've gone so uh just deep dove into the lore of just elder scrolls across the board so i feel like really up to like even morrowind just just all of that stuff like i feel like pretty knowledgeable of that stuff so that would be pretty cool actually jumping into the world of oblivion and again not knowing anything not knowing about tyver septum or or any of the nine divine whatever like like all of that would be really really cool just um because those games have such great just lore and world building to them and to just again be just consuming that on a first go around would be really special again and my last one i'll show here and again there's probably if i really stew on this like i probably think of like endless amounts but just for the the sake of keeping this episode a manageable length uh my last one to shout out is going to be definitely one of a more recent games i'm going elden ring here um man i yeah so i i've I'm the Elden Lord. I've completed that game. That was a big gem or trophy, I guess I could call it, on my gaming career. The first Souls game, I've... Actually, no, I beat Dark Souls once. So I guess second Souls game that I've accomplished. I do want to play more of those, especially the FromSoftware titles, like Sekiro, I think, is the next one that I really want to try. But I just got so obsessed with Elden Ring, as I got deep into that game, where I just was... online, like, researching all these things and just, like, really getting better at the min-maxing aspect of... Like, now, if I... I feel like I kind of know where a lot of things are in that game, but to just be jumping into it for the first time, I mean, like, that didn't happen that long ago. Like, within the last couple of years was the first time I jumped into Elden Ring. But still, like, it's just such a special world. And just thinking back on, like... I don't know, like, let's say the first time you get to the Altus Plateau, I believe it's called. Like, when you first get past, like, Rey Lucario area, getting to, like, the actual capital, like, Leyndell City, and as you're going up these stairs, this just, like, giant dragon thing just, like, comes down, and it just, like, scared the absolute shit out of me, because I'm just, like, walking slowly, you know, like, just taking in the beauty of what the world is, and then something like that happens, and that game has so many moments like that, where again, on another run-through. Like, I know that's coming, but, like, to just be completely oblivious to that is... It's definitely a special experience. So that one would have to go on that list because it is such a special game. And, yeah, but I think those would be the ones I shout out.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Those are some great picks. I mean, I feel like it's very telling that two of those have got remasters recently. I feel like, you know, even the teams have been like, hey... these are games that people want to experience again for the first time. What's the best way we can do that? And like also modernize it so that new players can have that experience or like a similar experience to people who played it when like the games first came out in terms of visual fidelity and just, you know, quality of life, all those kinds of features and whatnot. So yeah, yeah, definitely. Uh, sweet. Okay. Sam green. Thank you for that. Patreon question that just kept on giving three episodes worth of good discussion based on that one. Of course, anytime people can jump on Patreon and, and send us a question, and we will discuss it at length. In fact, I'll bring it up on three separate episodes if that's what it takes for me to get it to everybody here at this show. So thank you again for sending that one in. Let's get to opening night live. Of course, as always for these shows, I don't really want to do the full breakdown of here's every single thing that was announced, and we'll mention every game, even if we don't have anything to say about it. Go to the IGN article for that if that's what you want, if you want to know every single thing that was announced here. Instead, we've picked out the highlights... And I'd say for me and Kirkland here, I think what we really did for highlights is picked out things that are kind of new announcements. You know, there's a lot of games here that we've known about for years and they got cool new trailers, but I don't feel like there's a ton to really break down with some of these. A couple of them we will bring up again that, you know, are speaking to us in a bigger way. But for the most part, this is either games that are getting like a big new showcase here, a brand new reveal, that kind of stuff. It was a long show and I wasn't watching it live, so I definitely skimmed through. So I might be missing a couple things but again these are the things that stood out to me and kirkland the most and i'm gonna kick it off with a kind of a one-two punch here here are two series that have been around forever and are finally uh getting a tactics version which i feel like is inevitable it feels like for so many series these days you know happen like with gears of war uh why can't I think of other examples right now? But I feel like, you know, Metal Slug got it recently, right? It just happens every once in a while. Eventually you get, you know, Final Fantasy. Eventually you get your tactics game. And yeah, so then the two newest ones are Worms Galactic Tactics and Rainbow Six Tactics as well. So starting with Worms, you mentioned this earlier, like what is your experience with Worms? Because I feel like that is a series I often forget about, even though, and it's probably because I only have like one touch point. I played, I think it was Armageddon on the DS. And I played it endlessly. One of my favorite games as a kid. And then I never really touched the series again and kind of forget about it. It doesn't get brought up very often. So in a trailer like this happens, and I'm reminded how nostalgic I am for the derpy, phallic-looking worms that.
Speaker 2: They have in these games.
Speaker 1: I'm all into it. But yeah, what is your experience with the series? And what do you think, as a Tactics fan, what do you think about this kind of new crossover, so to speak?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think this is a really great idea to just keep the worms evolution going i feel like you can i guess you could keep doing the same thing over and over and just like different uh i don't know add different weapons or different yeah just graphical fidelities to more modern titles but i i don't know if that's really something that like I don't think that's something that like fans would be really grabbing. I feel like there have been.
Speaker 1: These games still coming out all the time. They're just not really talked about in a big way, but I think they like worms has never really stopped. I think it's just like a lower budget thing that doesn't have as big of a marketing budget. They're just like pump them out and people play them. But yeah, they're never like, you know, the big splash kind of thing. They're never starting to showcase like it did even though it was technically the pre-show, I guess.
Speaker 2: For sure. I feel like though like jumping in the tactics realm like that that's a really good evolution of the uh of the franchise in my mind because it sticks true to what the core gameplay kind of is but uh you know just more more of a single player player experience of course you could always play worms single player in my mind it's always been like uh like a like a pvp game or like with friends because I think that's the only time I've really played it was with friends and And I just have some great memories of going over to a friend's house and playing it. Me, him, and his brother, all just on there with our worms. And of course, it's got the comedy element where they're really derpy. They make really funny noises and just killing different worms very brutally different ways. My one good friend, childhood friend, shout out to Quinn. name drop them right here he owned worms 3d on the game cube and i just thought that was like the craziest thing ever because it turned a 2d game to worms 3d uh and was it just 3d visuals or was it actually like in a you could walk around in a 3d space you could walk around in a 3d space i believe are you it looks like it based on yeah pictures here you know that was like that that was like a.
Speaker 1: Great this fucking yeah it's crazy.
Speaker 2: Worms though man i learned what what the term prod meant because there's a move in worms where you just you just poke them with the finger and uh so yeah those teeth man but like look at that like 3d in that era okay it's on ps2 also yeah uh yeah that's that's amazing um but yeah great great franchise and like core to my my childhood memories i'm I'm not playing Worms these days because that's not what I'd be playing on my own time. Worms Tactics, probably not going to really, you know, win me over in that sense. But I still think it's a really cool idea. And it makes a lot of sense to just, again, evolve the franchise past what it used to be. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, I like what you said before we go live here is that, like, this kind of has always been a tactics series. Obviously not like a grid turn-based tactics like this new game is. But it has always been like that, where it's, like, usually, I guess, rather than, like, doing, maybe some of the other games do this, but the one I remember, I feel like you just have, like, a certain amount of time on your turn, and you, like, can only do so much. You probably do, like, a little bit of moving, and then choose, like, one attack option or something like that, whether it is a prod, whether it's throwing a holy hand grenade, a grenade launch or a shotgun whatever it is and then you yeah you can you have like a certain amount of time to move usually so I don't know if this will be that or it's probably just gonna be like oh yeah classic tactics version but I feel like the strategy part of it and like the items will just transfer over and as you might I didn't even know there was like a 3d game that happened at some point but obviously this game the series has already explored a 3d space and what that can look like for how these items work and I think it is pretty straightforward honestly but yeah I think this is really cool I really like the art style like even just the cutscene I the CG cutscene that they had, introing it for the trailer. I love it. I like the character. I like the silliness. It kind of has like a South Park energy to it, I feel like, as well as worms, in a sense. And so, yeah, I'm interested in this, especially, I mean, we're just so spoiled for tactics games at this point. Like, we've got Fire Emblem coming out in just a few short weeks. We have the Star Wars tactics game coming out in like two days. I'm already like, do I buy one of these, both of these? Like, I love this kind of game so much. And now, with Worms. I'm not as much of a Rainbow Six guy, but with Worms on the horizon too, it's like, oh my God, playing so many of these. And honestly, in the last few weeks, I've played so much Into the Breach again as well. When I was like in Kelowna and stuff, that was like my one game that I was kind of playing there. So yeah, I just love this series so much and it's cool to get a series that I'm kind of oddly nostalgic for that I haven't really revisited. This feels like the perfect time for me to jump back in. So that's coming out next year, so I'll keep an eye on it for sure. And then the other one is Rainbow Six Tactics, which, again, this makes so much sense, right? It's kind of like when Gears Tactics happened. It's like, yeah, these games are already so tactical, so positioning-based, taking cover, that kind of stuff. And especially after XCOM, I feel like, took the tactic genre in, like, a slightly different space, and it made just so much sense for a series like this. So obviously, like, Gears worked in that translation, and I think Rainbow Six will, like, just be that and even more, because so much of that is, like, planning to timings and, like, breaching doors and moving... in coordination with teammates and stuff. I'm sure this will be a single player game, but I think taking Rainbow Six and that multiplayer experience and converting it down into like a tactics game experience and giving people that kind of fun planning, but like as a single player experience is going to work really well. So yeah, this was a pretty cool thing to see as well. And I feel like Rainbow Six has been a little bit quiet recently. Like they had the, I think it was called Extraction Rainbow, Rainbow Six Extraction a couple of years ago. Sounds right. And it was okay. It didn't really like blow me away or anything. And I feel like this is kind of a fun new way. Not that this is like an innovative thing because obviously Worms is doing it too and all these other series. Everything's getting a tactics game these days. But yeah, I think this could work pretty well for the series. And I'm curious to see if it ends up being any good because I'm sure if it has that same level of depth and I don't know if it's the same developers as like the regular Rainbow Six games, I feel like this could be a really, really, really solid tactics game. So I don't know. Are you a Rainbow Six guy at all? Does this one speak to you in any way?
Speaker 2: I feel like i'm i feel like yeah i'm a rainbow six guy i've kind of always been around the series i think i had the original rainbow six game on the pc uh way way back then and i've kind of just throughout my entire gaming history i feel like i haven't gone like more than five years without touching a rainbow six title um the last one would have been probably, uh, not wild lands break point, I think was the second one that came out and really solid games. Like honestly, I, they are what they are. You know, a lot of the time it's like you just go around the world, like collecting things and just doing your, you know, tactics taken down, um, whatever you, whatever you'd call them, uh, encampments and such stuff, stuff like that. But there's oftentimes I'm just kind of seeking that. I do really like the tactical shooter genre, uh, And yeah, I had the same thoughts as you. As soon as I saw this, I'm like, man, why have they not done this already? This makes total sense. You can basically just have the exact same, what you would already be doing, just on a tactics gameplay. And yeah, it totally makes sense. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Definitely. And then the other thing, so the Rainbow Six, that was not in the pre-show, but along with Worms, the other thing in the pre-show that was speaking to me on the nostalgia sense is Rollercoaster Tycoon WonderWorks. which I believe is like a new game, but also maybe kind of like a remake remaster of those original games. It definitely has the same art style as one and two, uh, one, you know, it was one of those cereal box games for me in a game I played over and over and over again, endlessly, uh, as a kid. And this is very much that same art style, but just like looking a little bit more fresh and modern, but it's still keeping that same, like, you know, the roller coasters look the same. The paths look the same, the little like entrance and exit doors for each ride look the same. It's got the same camera perspective and all that stuff. It's very true to what those original games felt like. The only thing, I feel like the big change they made design-wise is what the people look like. And I gotta say, Kirkland, I don't like the way the people look. They kind of have a chibi thing going on with them. They got big head mode. And it's probably just because I'm so deep with the nostalgia. I love how janky the characters looked in the original game. These look janky as well.
Speaker 2: But..
Speaker 1: It stands out to me. It's throwing me off a little bit. It's like you were so close. Everything looks the same, except for this one thing, and now it kind of bothers me. So maybe i don't know if i'm being uh too much of a stickler i don't know if this is a game i would pick up any which way because when i do want that roller coaster tycoon hit i'll just i just you know can still play those games on steam and i have done that in the last couple years just booting it up and play for a little bit um but yeah i could see myself maybe picking this up in in a way just because of the nostalgia that could be good like switch pickup or something like that so Yeah. Pretty cool to see kind of this art style, like what they've done here. But, yeah, do you have any thoughts on this one? Do you care about this one at all? It's interesting.
Speaker 2: Like, I was kind of surprised to see it, honestly. Roller Coaster Tycoon. That's, like, one of those games where just, like, anybody that, like, born in the 90s, I feel like has interacted with that game. Unless you just totally didn't have a PC and never touched a video game in your life. I feel like everybody knew about Roller Coaster Tycoon. Yeah. And there's so many other tycoon equivalents that came around that time. But roller coaster tycoon specifically is just the one that people think of. So it was kind of surprising and, yeah, interesting to see it here. I kind of see where you're coming from. You know, like the little, I don't know, effect of the people. It seemed a little odd. But again, like I guess I'm just pulling back from like the super whatever look you would call like the OG OG where you couldn't really see the people. They're just like little sticks, I guess, at that point. But..
Speaker 1: And they were always the same guy. It was, like, always the same white guy with, like, short brown hair. There was no women, no children. Like, everyone was the exact same.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 1: And so there's definitely more variety now, at least in terms of, like, you know, being a bit more immersive. The only thing that changed was their shirt color and, like, pants color, I think. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, you're 100% right.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like I'm kind of okay with the Roller Coaster Tycoon scratch. If I want to go to these types of games, like a managing type game, I'd honestly probably go to the Jurassic Park one where you're like making your own little park there. But yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I mean, there has been other, like there has even been recent Roller Coaster Tycoon games or re-releases. And then there's Planet Coaster as well, which is kind of like the full 3D version of this. But I like that this is kind of going back to the nostalgia in a way. And it feels more lively too. It feels like there's a lot more animations for things. So there's a certain shot of like a roller coaster breaking down like piece by piece. And rather than it just like, having like a stock animation for what it looks like when it's fixed and when it's broken like i feel like the original games had like every piece like crumbled in like a 3d space and fell with physics and stuff and so i feel like in that way it's probably gonna be pretty satisfying also that'll probably make it fun to do like crazy death traps which i know a lot of people including me maybe did as a kid making just you know roller coasters that were designed to just destroy people who uh visit the park and so you know that's always kind of a fun part of these games too is messing around pushing the edges of it so Yeah, pretty cool to see. I think that was the last thing from the pre-show, specifically before we jumped in the main show. So maybe with that, we'll take a quick break to thank our wonderful Patreon producers. They are Aaron Braden, April of Darkness, Jack Grant, Superbad Mike, TGGLM69, aka NRFHidalgo, Lenny Kravitz, Cocktail Clay, John with No Age, Sam Green, John M, Matthew Fletcher, and now introducing... Summer Hansi as well who recently joined Patreon as many of you can and you can make us play any game ever and we'll talk about it on the podcast or a movie is more frequently done. You can do all sorts of things. You get episodes early and add free exclusive episodes on a monthly if not more basis. You get voting power. We just had votes go through for the 2006 Golden Geeks which was really fun to see how all those votes struck out in a very interesting way. So go back to the newscast from yesterday to hear us break down some of that. But yeah, it's just a great place to go. If you want to support the show and what we do here, we work hard. We do a lot of stuff. We cover as much as we possibly can. And yeah, if you want to throw a dollar at us, the best place to do so would.
Speaker 2: Be on Patreon.
Speaker 1: You get the most out of it. We get the most out of it. It's a win-win symbiotic relationship. So yes, thank you to everyone for helping keep the lights on. And as I said, yeah, SideQuest is coming back again shortly later this week and then next week as well. So if anyone's been missing the show, I'm glad that it's going to be back here for you to have some more gaming discussions going on. But yeah, let's jump to a quick ad break and we'll be right back. Okay, we are back to continue. Kirkland, a game that you were interested in, Dust Origins. Talk to me about this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I think this game, I really like the art style and just the look to it. I'm kind of a sucker for isometric games. I feel like I don't play, like, a whole lot of them, but I just really respect the art style. I probably have some, like, deep-seated memory of, like, a mini-clip game or something that had that, or, like, Newgrounds, maybe, you know, like, just with that style, and that just stuck to me. Really, really cool. I like that. we haven't like evolved past that style. Uh, especially something like this that has really, really cool shadow effects and everything. And it kind of has like a horror element to it. Like, like especially like these games are like shooter survivals, whatever genre you'd want to call it. Um, but like just, just when you're going to a more dark area, just seeing like your, your character with your, your flashlight kind of like panning around, uh, it just adds, adds a lot of suspense to it. Whereas I feel like the scariest version of those games are, first persons because you're just seeing what the person is playing but there's still just so much tension I think to still just be in that isometric style and also just like the gameplay loop element to it I think it's kind of up my alley it's not necessarily like it doesn't seem like it's like a wave thing whereas maybe I would compare it to like a risk of rain where it's just like endless rounds of enemies or what not Um, I, I should look into it a little bit more cause it, it does seem like it has that element though, where you are going to be dying many times. You kind of upgrade as you go along. And if it is kind of what I imagine it being, I think that's definitely up my alley and I could see myself putting, putting some hours into this cause yeah, I just really like the look to it. Um, and yeah, no, I, I think it looks cool. I like seeing like the different classes in there. Um, overall, yeah, it just, it just looked really cool. And, I didn't really hear about this, I don't think, beforehand, so it was a nice little surprise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if this was announced previously, but it was news to me for sure. It reminds me a lot of a game called The Ascent, I believe is what it was called. It came out in, I think, 2020. It was a Game Pass. Yeah, let me double-check that. The Ascent game. Yeah, that's what it's called.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was on Game Pass, and I played a few hours of it, and it didn't really... blow me away, but this definitely looks a lot more engaging just in terms of the gameplay of it, but I feel like it shares that same isometric gameplay style to it. This has definitely a lot of that Doom aesthetic in terms of the enemies, even the color palette and stuff. It could be a Doom game, honestly, which is really cool. Does this game have any co-op angle to it, or is it purely a single-player game? I remember The Ascent had up to four-player... called this looks like okay this is supposed to be a single player one so um a little bit different vibe there but even yeah you can like drive around and stuff too so it seems like that that's pretty fun maybe there's like mech suits and things you can get into so i think the variety will be good there and i even like the character art that they have uh you know for it's like 2d art that they have but i think the art style is like really cool so definitely into this one that's dust origins is the name of that one mm-hmm You know what? It's going on the wish list.
Speaker 2: Am I logged in?
Speaker 1: I'm not. It's not going on the wish list. I'll come back. I'll circle back. Next up is a horror game, which, you know, kind of got a quick little splash here. So, you know, remains to be seen what the full thing is looking like. It's called Perceptum. And yeah, so it starts it honestly looking very much like PT kind of game. You're walking through a creepy house. You're opening doors slowly. You don't know what's going to be behind them. and obviously the the title perceptum is hinting at something to do uh with some of the gameplay mechanics in the trailer you're playing like an old older woman and you take out like a pocket a mirror pocket mirror i guess and you're kind of looking in that and then something behind you is kind of shifting and then like out of the peripheral you can see how there's like some creepy creature going on in front of you there and so i feel like whatever is going on with this mirror, I feel like that's going to be a really fun item in this game of like things changing behind you. And that's always a freaky thing in horror games is like trying to look at things behind you or run away from things behind you. But because they're usually in first person, you can't like easily do that in a way. So I feel like the mirror is actually going to be pretty clutch. And I also like that you can see your character's face in it too, because not only does it put you more in that space, but I'm sure some creepy things will happen with that or even see your character's reactions will be fun. So yeah, There's really not much to go off other than that, to be honest. But even just that simple hook and the trailer here had me intrigued for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this looks really scary. Just the aspect to the mirror mechanic. I mean, even without the mirror mechanic, it looks like a really freaky game. But I imagine you're going to pull that up and there's just going to be something right there behind you. And then that's when I pause the game, close the desktop, whatever you do, Alt F4. so yeah I don't think I'm ready for this on my horror gaming experience but this is definitely a cool idea. And I imagine it has potential to be very memorable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. And then another game, this one was kind of introduced by the actress who plays Lady D. I think she's playing a villain or maybe she's the main character. I missed who she's voicing in this game, but she's related to the project in some way. and it's a Dungeons & Dragons game simply called Warlock is the title of this one. And honestly, in a lot of ways, it looks like a pretty classic open-world fantasy sort of game, but I really like the art style. I really like the look of the character you're playing as, and to me, it's got a lot of really fun-looking magic. At one point, your character pulls out almost like an alchemist table that they're, I think, imagining in their mind, and you're slotting items into it, which then affects the weather and creates rain in the battlefield that you're playing in. And then because it's raining, your electric power, it seems like it's even stronger and will connect to a bunch of enemies and stun them probably more than it would otherwise. And then you do other cool powers, all the cool magic of interacting with characters. You can stab a sword into an enemy and it blows up into a puff of smoke and it seems like a bunch of XP. It definitely was giving me some Fable vibes. energy with some of the powers and whimsy of it though i feel like the tone is a lot darker um there wasn't really too much here other than like a combat showcase and and the magic powers but i'm all into that so yeah i think this game looks really cool uh and i don't usually play a lot of games like this i suppose but this one is kind of standing out to me and uh definitely on the radar i want to see more of this one when it's like closer closer to release and I feel like maybe they're just going after a popular name and getting that voice actress. But I think there's a meaningful story and maybe some good performances in here and writing for an actual good performer to deliver these lines in a fun way. So I'm curious to see what's going on with this one. Let me see if I can find, while you share your thoughts on this one, what the developer is for this game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought it was a great trailer. I really like the cinematic and I really like the gameplay that was shown. it's obviously really cool that it's set in the dungeon dragons universe so just like if you have knowledge of that i feel like that'll help in the game overall i really like that that when she pulls out her little alchemist table thing changes the weather and then she specifically uses like lightning magic which of course in those dungeon dragons universe like it just makes that multiplier go up so that was really cool to see and it seems like It doesn't seem as, like, sandboxy in the sense of, like, Baldur's Gate, where, like, you can really do anything to, like, get through the situation. It seems a lot more, I'm hesitant to say linear, but just, I don't know, more fast-paced.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was hard to get a gauge of, like, the overall scale of what this game will be like from this one trailer, because it was kind of, like, focused on one sequence.
Speaker 2: For sure. But, like, when you come outside, like, before she does her alchemy table thing, I was, like, holy fuck, like this is a really big, it's almost like I'm looking at Skyrim right here. Like I'm experiencing like white run up on the hill like that. Like that was really impressive. So yeah, I'm curious. I feel like normally when I see things like this, especially with video games, I'm just like, can't be that good, right? You know, I think everybody did that around Expedition 33, but then guess what? That game ended up being what it was. So yeah, I'm intrigued by this. I imagine, yeah, especially having like a, a good voice actor being, like, the person telling the people about the story, I imagine it really leans into that performance side of it. Yeah. Yeah, shouts at D & D also.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, the protagonist just looks cool as hell, you know, and that does a lot for a game. Developer unknown. They have other games on Steam, so I think it's a newer team propping up here, working with the D & D team. I wonder if this game got greenlit because of Baldur's Gate's success. I wonder if Wizards of the Coast are just greenlighting all sorts of other projects and things like that now. We'll have to wait and see if that becomes more of a trend. Pretty generic name. It's just called Warlock, but I've got my eyes on that one for sure.
Speaker 2: I really like when she's first adventuring, she just has that little imp with her that's just chatting with her.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I really like that little dynamic. It seems like a fun little companion to yeah just just chime.
Speaker 1: Off uh another game jumping back into horror is ontos which is on your draft and has since been delayed into 2027 so next week you're gonna get to drop that from your list and repick something new but based on the trailer here kirkland do you think this is gonna be a game you might want to drift draft again next year is it looking looking spicy looking good.
Speaker 2: It looks fucking weird. And I kind of expected it to be weird because of just what I've experienced through Soma. Um, and it seems like it's really going to be making you like question just, just your, your own existence in many ways, which Soma does. Uh, I'd even like throw prey in that category with just how heady, like the concepts of a prey get, especially when you get like deeper into that story. Um, But yeah, just like all the things like the rats, when you're like pulling these fucking like probes at this person's head, like it's just, it's like disturbing, but like interesting at the same time. Um, it looks like a fucking weird game and it's what I expect, uh, the, the, the followup to, to Soma being so really, really interesting. Um, yeah, I, I like, I, I don't, I can't say like, man, this is gonna be the best game I've ever played in my life. Cause it's just like a big question mark, but Nonetheless, it'll be some very weird things that I haven't seen in a video game before. I can almost guarantee that. And this just makes me want to jump through SOMA again because I haven't touched that game in a long time. That'd be fun to lead up to maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we do have that penciled in to do a retro of SOMA before Ontos, and the game just keeps getting delayed to the point where we haven't done it yet. But I have bought SOMA. It is downloaded on my PlayStation. I am excited to finally do that. So, yeah, I guess we'll do that next year now because we're not really in any sort of rush. Who knows? Maybe we'll have a slow season. Maybe we'll record it in, like, October or something like that, and then we can put it up on Patreon a few months early or something. But, yeah, looking forward to that one-two punch. That's going to be fun because I haven't really... Yeah, I haven't played SOMA before, but I like Amnesia and their other games, so it should be pretty cool. Next up is a funny announcement. You know, it's funny, for years, it was so much fun, the hype leading up to and even post-release of Smash Ultimate, right? Because every Nintendo Direct, it was like, ooh, are they going to show off a character? Which character are they going to show off? And those trailers were always so hype, and it was like, oh, we got Minecraft Steve, we got Sora. Now we have a new equivalent of that, it seems like, where every fucking showcase... There's some new weird-ass celebrity collab happening in my favorite game of Hitman. Last one was Wiz Khalifa. Now we've got Snoop Dogg making his debut into Hitman, the World of Assassination, which, you know, I'm going to play this when it comes out in two days, and I'm going to have a great time, and it will probably be just okay, but maybe it'll come with some fun new weird items, and that's all you can really hope for. The Wiz Khalifa one had some cool new items with it as well. Yeah, this one seems a bit more like weird and mystical, actually, in a way. And I can't tell if that's just because they're leaning into like the drug induced psychosis of going on here and you're like imagining things. But like the M & M elusive target they did a few months ago was really trippy. There was like teleportation and like imagined worlds and like different realms and stuff like that. So they definitely leap past the realism and logic of what Hitman is. They have done in the past, but not very often. So it looks like they're maybe doing that again here. But again, it could just be drugs. So who really knows? But yeah, this map is set on Haven Island, which is, you know, I just did my ranking a few weeks ago. And I think I had Haven Island in my top five. One of my favorite maps. Love that map a lot. And it's never had, as far as I know, any sort of like special variant to it, actually. So this is pretty cool. It's going to shake up the map in some way, add some new targets in there. And I can't wait to see kind of what variations happen to this map because I think it's definitely ripe for an opportunity like this. So, yeah, I'm looking forward to what's called the Herbalist DLC featuring Snoop Dogg, which comes out August 27th, which will be free for an amount of time. And then you got to buy it afterwards. So get in there quick. But yeah, Kirkland, you think you'll be re-downloading Hitman to check out Snoop Dogg's appearance?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Maybe I should. I didn't realize like how weird these... it's not freelancer, is it? This is not, you know, these are, these are called like elusive target, elusive target. There you go. That's the term.
Speaker 1: Celebrity targets or whatever the heck. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize how fucking weird it really gets. Uh, I did really not for the most part.
Speaker 1: Like they do cool jobs of rejigging the maps, but the M and M one was very fucking weird. And this one seems like it's kind of a little psychedelic. I feel definitely psychedelic.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. Um, but no, I, I did like the trailer for it. Nonetheless, I thought it was funny. Um, and yeah just like the the crowd's reaction too because like as soon as i heard like the handler's voice uh i'm like oh my god like this is the hitman one plus you know i saw your list before as i was going along with it so i do there's gonna be a hitman thing in there uh but like as soon as you just have uh 47 like on the camera just the crowd is like oh he's back like it's it's a funny uh Where is he going to be next? It could be, I don't know, insert any celebrity and hitman. be going after them. Mr. 47. So, uh, yeah, I, I did appreciate the trailer, uh, quite a bit. And yeah, I got to jump back into that game for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Haven. It's a really fun maps. I think you'll enjoy it. You know, it's funny too, cause there's been a couple instances now where they've had one of these celebrity targets who has then been a celebrity, uh, that got into some dark shit and then, you know, has been like canceled. They've like removed content from the game in the past. And I swear Snoop Dogg had like some controversy around him at some point. So it seems risky that after the issues they've gone through in the past of having to deal with this stuff, they would go for Snoop Dogg who I got, again, I could be wrong. I don't pay attention too much to the personal lives of celebrities, but I swear there was some controversy. So maybe they're taking a risk here. So again, play it while it exists because you never know what will happen to this DLC.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In the future Kirkland to one of your well this isn't one of your favorite series but this genre I suppose stage tour we're finally getting a new rock band game it's not from the same team because that team doesn't exist anymore as far as I know they got absorbed into epic and like have since been like dismantled pretty much but yeah rock band's been gone for a while guitar has been gone for a while and stage tour is here to fill both those shoes at the same time you got the full You got the microphone, you got the guitar, you got the drums, you got a bunch of songs. It looks pretty much the exact same as those games, but it's just a new version. Do you see yourself picking this up? I know you're obviously Rock Band 1 or Rock Band 2, I think specifically, one of your favorite games of all time. We're both big rhythm game guys. But yeah, do you think that there's a place for this for the greater audience and also for you? Is there any interest of some new plastic peripherals to have in your house?
Speaker 2: This was a surprise for sure. I kind of just accepted that I put down my guitar, my virtual guitar, for good. I'm retired now. I am very curious how this does, though, of just getting new era of gamers and getting people on board to just purchase the hardware also. And it seems like you have to get everything. You have to get the whole set, which kind of increases that. price point. I haven't double-checked that, but that's just kind of what I've seen on the webs or some discussion about on the Discord I saw. I definitely want to play this. Absolutely. I love rhythm games. I love rock band, guitar hero, all that stuff. I'm not going to just commit to the $ 300 price point for getting the whole set ready to go, but I wouldn't say never. I hope that this does do well and it just kind of has legs to keep going and then maybe You just get, I don't know, just more titles and it keeps going. And then maybe discounts, whatnot. I'm able to maybe get all that gear purchased and Raider Rock. It is just such a fun party experience with friends or whatnot. So yeah, I'm definitely not buying this right away. Mostly just because of accessibility. Like if I could plug in my old Xbox 360... guitars hell yeah i'd be i'd be jumping in this right away um and i like that it's just like we're sticking with what the og was it's not like when they came back with like the the modern versions where it wasn't just like the the six buttons like i think they changed the guitars a little bit i think rocksmith was like one of those titles where like you even had like a real guitar yeah i had that i don't want that shit oh yeah was it good I didn't.
Speaker 1: Play a lot of it. I think it's actually a good educational tool, but it just didn't speak to me. I feel like I didn't learn guitar the best from that game, and I'd rather just play Guitar Hero and then play guitar.
Speaker 2: Exactly, right? I don't want to learn guitar. I want to pretend that I'm a fucking rock star and jump on there and play Slow Ride on Medium or whatever difficulty, you know?
Speaker 1: Medium.
Speaker 2: That's what I want. That was a hyperbole, of course. Hard minimum. Hard minimum. You've got to incorporate that orange button. You can't be not using that orange button. So, yeah. I hope this does well. Maybe it's bad signs if I'm a big fan and I'm already committing that I'm not getting this. But that's just purely like a price point thing. If I had a family, five kids that I just want to rock out with, hell yeah. Everyone, we're getting rock band.
Speaker 1: We know a guy who has five kids.
Speaker 2: We'll see. We'll see if he's having concerts at his house. And if not, I'll be doing tryouts over at his place.
Speaker 1: I could play bass.
Speaker 2: I could be rhythm. I could be rhythm.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That bass groove, the time six multiplier.
Speaker 2: Oh, man. That color effect that would happen. You're grooving when you're on. I love rock band back in the day.
Speaker 1: Fond memories.
Speaker 2: I was more of a guitar hero guy individually, but I.
Speaker 1: Loved rock band. I guess I did own it eventually. But yeah, this is one of those things that I would... love if one of my friends bought it and I could play at their place. I can't think of a single friend of mine that I currently have who would buy this, though, unfortunately. So I don't think that's going to happen. But I'm also not too heartbroken about it. I wonder, like, you know, the timing of this is really interesting because I think it was inevitable that at some point the peripherals would come back. Someone would try this again. And for me, this almost feels... It's almost too late and too soon because I feel like there was actually... I feel like I remember seeing a lot online I feel like there's a craving for this in COVID. People wanted this kind of thing then. And I remember even like hearing someone who like runs a video game stores. I felt like there was a lot of like those items, which they've just have a stash in the back closet were actually like really popular again during COVID because people were stuck at home. They want to do something physical and fun with their people that they live with, I guess. And so it feels like that maybe that was when the iron was hot, but obviously that kind of passed in a way kind of quickly and and so missing that bubble of it, this feels like maybe still a bit too soon for me, like, I don't know what the appetite for this will be, and I wonder what it would be like if they had, like, a guitar version only, so you could, like, just get that version of it, but yeah, I mean, I definitely don't see myself getting this, but I also live alone at my house, so there's definitely not much of a need for a rock band kind of thing, but uh yeah again i'm really curious to see how this does and if this ends up being like a big staple and they make a sequel and like a million dlcs like rock band and stuff but i just don't think it's going to turn out that way hopefully it can at least break even and be some fun for people but yeah i don't think it's gonna make a huge splash i don't think it needs to do anything new and innovative i think it really just does need to strike that nostalgia but this also does not seem like it's bringing anything new to the table uh so we'll see if that really affects it in any any sort of way but stage tour is the name of that new series next up is a lego skylines which i think is a really cool idea so lego obviously i feel like for the long time longest time the lego games were extremely formulaic they're kind of the same it was just like different series different ip paired with the very same gameplay loops and i feel like in the last few years is finally when we've been seeing a bit of a deviation there We had like the driving open world, like Forza E kind of one. There was that co-op platformer kind of game. There was that Lego Adventures, I think is maybe what it was called, which was like a bit more of an experimental, like toy version of it. But I think this is a really great idea. So Lego Skylines is exactly what it sounds like. It's a city building game within the Lego IP. And man, like just like it had that very classic shot, which I feel like you get a lot of city builders and tycoon type games where it starts really zoomed in and you see like a corner. And then it zooms out and you see like the entire city that you've built. And I just think this looks great. I mean, the art style and visuals look fantastic, which I think a lot of these recent Lego games have definitely done for games that were kind of more lower budget, it felt like back in the day. I feel like sometimes the visuals recently, they've really been popping off. Like just really good lighting with a Lego game can do wonders, you know, especially when you have like the full scope of it. Whereas I feel like sometimes they have like kind of lower texture, like ground, but then like high quality, like Lego textures and it looks like kind of off. but this seems like really consistent. So I'm very intrigued by this. I think this looks like really, this looks like a lot of fun. I could see myself picking this up and I'm kind of a hard sell for city builders. Like I'll pick up like minimalistic ones or ones that are doing things kind of different or just really cheap ones. And it's rare that I want to pick up one like at launch, but this one I'm quite intrigued by. So curious to see how in depth the systems are. Cause I feel like with Lego, right. It can always go two ways. Like a pretty kiddie simple game or is it, Like, very rarely are they super deep mechanical games, right? And that's definitely what I think of Cities Skylines in particular, even within that genre as a more hardcore kind of game. So we'll see if this kind of bridges the gap or if it just, like, is somewhere mixed in between and doesn't really find its audience. We'll see.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh, my God. Sorry. Okay.
Speaker 1: I thought you really had nothing to say, but it sounds like you kind of coughed on the ticket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, that... That's worse timing for that. But no, I never played Skylines at all. But like you said, I think this just fits so well with the Lego genre. It was really cool just seeing like the pan out version. And again, it's just like the Skylines, Skyline, I guess, but just Lego verse. Kind of surprised we hadn't had this sooner, especially like, like I think we're past the golden era of those Lego games. I, we're just like, we are still getting them, but not to the, extent and like level and quantity that we were getting them when especially like when they first were making like this Lego Star Wars games then of course all like the movie tie-off ones i guess like maybe just hardware and whatnot wasn't quite ready for a lego version of a full city builder but i think it's really cool and i i i think this will do pretty well also i i think a lot of fans i imagine will just especially like once the modders get get their hands on like possibilities of just adding on to whatever the base game is. This seems like a very expansive property that could really go... Yeah, go many different places. So I like the idea.
Speaker 1: Maybe next we'll get LEGO Skylines... LEGO Batman Skylines, where you get to build a Gotham LEGO world.
Speaker 2: That'd be cool. I thought you were going to be speaking more to my level of a Total War LEGO game. I thought that's where you're going, which... I'm open. I'm open to it. I'm open to it.
Speaker 1: I didn't have it in my notes.
Speaker 2: I couldn't go a full side quest episode without mentioning Total War, so there you go.
Speaker 1: Hey, me, Hitman, you, Total War. Those are our fixes. We're contractually obliged to mention those.
Speaker 2: We need a crossover where Hitman, it's like the celebrity assassination, but it's like a Total War character.
Speaker 1: Some skaven, yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, man, that'd be insane. And of course, it'd be like, underground like in like the the rat men's uh like world or whatever and then you just got 47 wearing like a like a rat suit or something and just.
Speaker 1: Totally yeah he's blending in as a rat guy even though it's like just some bald white guy because he's just the master the barcode is what you see yeah god that's that that i could talk about that concept for an hour straight that sounds fun circle back to that in the future for sure yeah well i'll write that on my notes hitman total war crossover um Next up is a game called No Law, which we have seen this game before. But I wanted to bring it up again because I kind of forgot about it, to be honest. But also this new trailer I thought was fantastic. And I really want to get your take on this because it does seem very dishonored in a lot of ways. But yeah, this is a cyberpunk setting game. And it actually looks a lot like 2077 in terms of like the visual fidelity and the look of the characters and the kind of world you're in. And it seems like you're just kind of a legend who's kind of working in the streets, taking down criminal scum and whatnot, just kind of doing your thing in hiding. You're kind of the master jack-of-all-trades sort of type, and you're going around committing crimes. But I think you're taking out bad guys. I don't even know what's going on with the story here. But to me, what stands out is it just seems like there's a ton of really fun, immersive sims type mechanics in here with the different equipment you have and the weapons and you know as i mentioned all i've mentioned this multiple times now i feel like on side quests but any game that has a dedicated kick button is a game that i'm going to be a fan of and the kick in this game looks fucking incredible you bust open a door the shrapnel like stuns like three guys i'm like hell yeah i can't wait to do that so i think this game just looks really really fun it's one of those games that And I think I mentioned this last time I saw it. It's one of those games that looks too good to be true in a way. So I'm curious to see more of it. And let me see if I can find what that release date is because I feel like it should be announced by now considering we've had a few trailers. It's not. It's still to be announced. So I don't know when this game is coming out, but it's certainly on my radar. And I thought it had a really, really great showing here. But yeah, as a fellow fan of Immersive Sims, what did you think about this trailer here?
Speaker 2: Um, Oh my gosh. I had a brain fart. What was this one again? No law, no law, no law. Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah. This one totally reminded me of 2077. I thought it was actually going to be like a DLC or something.
Speaker 1: I thought it was 2077.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Just the way that they're talking about the, the gentlemen. Um, and yeah, it totally felt encoded in that very arcane dishonor to you though. Just, just, just seen in like, I don't know, take out some of, uh, more stealth approach to the situations. I like the interactions with the gadgets and all that. Yeah, I'm definitely intrigued by it. I have had, you know, I've had a little taste of that recently, so I feel like I'm not necessarily longing for a game like this, but curious to see how it does nonetheless. It seems like it would be focusing a lot on this character and the story being directly revolved around him. uh so i i would be intrigued on hearing about how the like the quality of that if if you know it if it does have a really strong story which i i don't see a reason why i wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah we'll uh we'll see i i definitely intrigued by that one but you know it's definitely not day one just because it's i don't think this developed i think this is a new developer as well under a kind of dicey publisher i'll to put it lightly so we'll see what happens with that one okay um Just two more games here. One I'm very, very, very excited for. One of my most anticipated games. Pony Island 2 Panda Circus is the newest game from the creator of Inscription, which is one of my favorite games of all time. Love that game so very much. I still have not played Pony Island 1 because I've, again, been waiting for the release date on this bad boy so I can kind of play them in closer succession with one another.
Speaker 2: I thought that there wasn't a Pony Island 1. Now that you mentioned it, I do remember you talking about this game in the past, but I thought it was going to be like a very heady thing. Like, oh, no, this is Pony Island 2. There was no first one, but that's just part of the gimmick.
Speaker 1: Kind of like Goat Simulator, how they did Goat Simulator and then Goat Simulator 3, but they never had a second game.
Speaker 2: There you go. Yeah, same effect. I mean, these games are just so interesting and weird and original that I wouldn't put it past them. Absolutely. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I, again, continue to be extremely intrigued by this game. The way that inscription was so many things in one, and I don't even want to say what all those things are as to not spoil it. It's definitely one of those games I'd love to experience again for the first time, just in terms of the way it blew my mind, right? To go back to Sam Green's question there. But yeah, this seems like even more of that, where there's all sorts of different game mechanics going on, different settings. I love the art style. It definitely shares that same art style with inscription, so I like that there's a bit of continuity there. And yeah, it seems like a big part of it is like engaging with interfaces and like playing mini games or like connecting to systems in a way. And it's like, there's almost like an RPG or something like that on the screen that you're playing through. But then there's also like a 3D world outside of that. If that made any sense at all for anyone listening, you know it if you see it. But one of the things, man, Kirkland, I'm sure you notice this too, is like at first there's like your character in the 2D space who's just like a silhouette shooting an arrow. And it looks exactly like that Flash game Bowman character. which I know we're.
Speaker 2: Both very nostalgic for.
Speaker 1: And I like knowing this guy who's like around our age, I think like, I'm sure he played that game and that's like an inspiration for this is like this old janky flash game. And it seems like a lot of the little interface games you're playing are kind of reminiscent of like old flash games and are very simple in that way, but then probably have a lot more depth to them. And so I am loving everything I'm seeing here and I can't wait for this game. And finally, I mean, it was supposed to come out in 2025, I think, and then it was supposed to come out in 2026, but now it at least has a month, which I believe is April. of next year, so hopefully it sticks to that, but if not, I don't care, man. Take as much time as you want. I think he's a solo developer for the most part, so take your time. If you need help, I'm in Vancouver. I'll come help you. I'll just skate down the street and do whatever you need me to do.
Speaker 2: Isn't he out of Vancouver?
Speaker 1: What's that?
Speaker 2: I heard Jeff. Isn't he out of Vancouver?
Speaker 1: He is, yeah. An inscription had a bunch of the live action stuff filmed in Stanley Park and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm very, very excited for this game again. One of my Probably top five most anticipated games right now, even though I haven't played the first game. But that's just how confident I am. After seeing Inscription, how creative and weird that game is. So, yes. Cannot wait for Pony Island 2. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, this looks wild. I'm not going to jump on this until I roll credits on Inscription. I've got to get back on that adventure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And we can check out Pony Island 1 if you want to do a little retro. I plan to do that for the first one. I think it's a pretty short game, so. Is it like what was shown here? Is it very similar in that sense? Because this is unlike any video game I've ever seen in my life. I don't even know what this is, so it's hard for me to say. And I don't know what the first game is, but I'm sure, considering it's a sequel, there's probably some... similarity to it in some sense.
Speaker 2: Like when they're like and and appearing and then show like just a bunch of like real people acting this i'm like man what even is this game like what the fuck are we doing here but in all the best ways of course inscription was doing that too right the kind of mixed media element to it so i think it's a really fun thing that he's doing here with these weird games.
Speaker 1: And we'll close it out then unless i miss anything i want to close it out with witcher was there anything else kirkland that we haven't brought up yet.
Speaker 2: I wanted to shout out, very quick shout out, the fucking, it's like a Mega Man title, but then they did like a crossover with that Pragmata game where you have like, you remember that one where there's like a little girl and the robot?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't know there was a crossover. I think I missed that announcement.
Speaker 2: The crossover is like, if you have Pragmata, you can get Mega Man being the giant robot, and it just looks so fucking goofy. I just laughed.
Speaker 1: I'm sure if I Google Pragmata Mega Man, it'll pop.
Speaker 2: Up. Yeah, 100% it will.
Speaker 1: Oh, fuck, yeah, that's terrifying. Is that terrifying? Yeah. That's like some Five Night at Freddy's BS kind of stuff there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. So that one caught my eye. But beyond that, no. Cool. I think we got them all, yeah.
Speaker 1: All right, Witcher 3 then. So we knew about, I don't know if we knew about this remaster. I've been a little out of the loop on things. I knew that they, of course, announced that there was a new DLC coming out that was supposed to connect Witcher 3's story to Witcher 4, which is coming out in 2028 is what they've announced at the moment. But now we have some more information on this. So the new DLC is going to be coming out next year, 2027. Does that make sense? As a nice one, two, three punch of the remaster coming out here in September, 2026, new DLC next year, connecting the story to four and then four the year after. So if they can hit all these release dates, that was a really nice cohesion there. But yeah, Witcher three remastered. This is like a kind of a full remake remaster kind of thing to get this game all prettied up and buttoned up and ready to go for this kind of connection with the DLC remaster. Travis sent me a wonderful list here of all of the changes. So I'm just going to read off this list, Kirkland. So get ready. This is a Defoe looking up moment, which is a gif I drop all the time in our chat. I love that Willem Defoe gif. Free upgrade for all the Witcher 3 owners. So first of all, that's great. This is just a free upgrade if you own this game. So that's really, really, really wonderful. That's nice of them. Improved environment, NPC, and monster textures. Major enhancements to foliage. Reworked lighting, rendering, and ray tracing. enhanced combat, revamped animations, brutal new finishers, an adaptive camera, revamped mount handling, reimagined skill system, overhauled skill tree that modernizes character progression, cross-platform mod support, that's pretty cool, transmogrification, that's where you can change your outfits around and keep the good stats, I think, essentially is what that means, immersive meditation, whatever that means, looting rework, HDR improvements, improved menu navigation, PS5 Pro support, Xbox Play Anywhere, Nintendo Switch 2 exclusive support, some other cool things, more ray tracing stuff, ray traced hair, expanded photo mode. Yeah, so really just everything you could ask for. I don't know if there's like a missing thing here that you would want from a remaster, from like combat and mechanics, just the visuals, uh and compatibility quality of life it seems like they've kind of crossed off the list it seems kind of like the dream remaster remake and uh the timing is really great on it and of course the fact that it's free if you own the game already is uh wonderful and this of course includes all the dlc packs like blood and wine and all that stuff so pretty pretty incredible stuff from cd project right.
Speaker 2: Here absolutely like what a way to get into people's good books. Just the fact that they're putting those out for free. They didn't have to at all. I didn't expect it to be free. I don't think really anyone was expecting that at all. And I mean, yes, I am going to be getting this because I own Witcher 3 and I don't think I've actually rolled credits on that all this time that the game has been out 2015. Holy hell. So over a decade. So yeah, I... This is just amazing. Like I... I knew it was a remaster. I expected it to look good. I didn't expect them to, like, really change everything on that list that you really mentioned there. But I really love these characters. I really love the story. Yeah. No, this is fucking hype. I think Travis, I don't know if you said it there, but I think Travis was talking about they added or changed some things with Gwen, too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was not on the list, but I guess that just goes to show there's even more things beyond that kind of short list, so to speak, of changes that they have.
Speaker 2: I am ready to get some Gwent going, for sure. That is so hype to me. I really love the soundtrack to The Witcher 3. It just bangs. It comes on a couple times. I'm not going to say a week, but every month, I feel like a Witcher track pops on there. Man, the one track specifically when you're playing Gwent, though, I could be listening to that Storm of the Gates of wherever. That is just such a get-hype track, and it's literally for an in-game card game. It's amazing, but... This is really cool. And I didn't really, like, I thought Witcher 4, yeah, okay, that's amazing that's coming out. But, like, I don't have, like, my finger on the pulse right now with, like, Witcher stuff overall. You know, like, I gave up on the show a little while ago. So I don't feel like I'm in so much. But, man, I feel like they're pulling me back. And this is, like, a really powerful move. Just the fact that they are dropping this for free. Yeah, I want to get in there. hopefully power through it, hopefully get through those DLCs, maybe get this next DLC coming out in 2027. And of course that just leads into Witcher 4, like just such a brilliant way to, to, to go about this. And, uh, I think they're going to be, I mean, it's working for me, but I think they're gonna be winning over a lot of, uh, good graces and brownie points with the fans in general. Um, yeah, that's, that's really cool. Cause you, you used to just, seeing the greedy side of like the video game, whatever you're going to, whatever you would call them, not necessarily developers. I feel like it's mostly like the publishers, like the big money people. But, but nonetheless, it's, it's definitely a great move. And I think the CD project red stock has been up already because of what they've been able to, stick to with cyberpunk of course i had like a rocky initial landing but like people love that game now they yeah.
Speaker 1: They definitely brought that back into the good graces i think 100 yeah i'm similar to you like i i.
Speaker 2: I'm a little overwhelmed.
Speaker 1: Right so my witcher's uh experience is much less and weirdly as a big gamer i have not played any of the game well i played a little bit of the witcher 3 like a few hours and it just didn't stick with me at the time And it's hard for me to remember even why, because that's so long ago now. Since then, though, I've read five of the Witcher books, so I'm pretty deep in there. I haven't watched the show at all. But definitely, like, pretty invested in the world at this point. But I'm kind of in between, like, a few tough spots here, right? Because they've announced, like, they're doing that full remake of Witcher 1. And then I imagine, like, Witcher 2 would follow. But then coming out before all that is, I guess, Witcher 3 remaster, obviously, because that's coming out soon. And then Witcher 4... Like, all that's, like, before the Witcher 1 remake. So, like, do I just jump into Witcher 3 and, like, pick it up from there again and then play the DLC and then play 4 and then go back and play 1? Do I just, again, like, I've obviously not been in a hurry to play the series up until now. Do I just wait for the remake of 1? Or do I just play 1 as it exists now? I don't really know. I honestly, I think the best thing would just be pick up this remaster, which technically I guess I already own because I have bought the game even if I've barely played it. and play through that, and then, you know, pick up the DLC, and get into 4, and just say F it, and come back to 1 and 2 later, if I really, really want to, if I'm super deeply invested, but honestly, even just mentioning all of what I just mentioned, that sounds really overwhelming, that's like hundreds of hours of gameplay right there, and I don't know, I don't know if I want to do that, so I don't know, I don't know where I'm at with this, this comes out very soon, I definitely won't be playing it when it comes out, maybe I would play this when that next DLC comes out, possibly next year, something like that, so I don't know. I got some decisions to make for myself and what I want my future to look like. But honestly, even more than that, I think I just want to get back into cyberpunk. I've never played the DLC for that and kind of get invested in that world. So who knows what I'll do. Instead, I'll probably just be the real answer. I'm just going to be playing Hitman. That's all I'm going to be doing. Playing more and more Hitman.
Speaker 2: That's the safe answer.
Speaker 1: I'm going to be playing the Snoop Dogg DLC.
Speaker 2: Maybe there'll be a Geralt crossover. You have to take out Geralt. It's like you transport 47 into the fucking whatever era. That's a concept.
Speaker 1: They should do both. Yeah, they should put 47 into that world and then also put Geralt in some map in Hitman as well.
Speaker 2: That sounds amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, because actually, yeah, because IO, one of the things they're working on is like a fantasy game, right? And so maybe that's.
Speaker 2: The opportunity to.
Speaker 1: Get a crossover there. And they've already done, obviously, a shit ton of crossovers putting Agent 47 in games and also people in Hitman and stuff. So, Yeah, we'll see what happens there with that, but very intrigued by all this. And again, I think it's just... They kind of nailed it, it seems like. Obviously, we'll see what happens when the game comes out, and I'm sure it'll be riddled with bugs and whatnot, and hopefully they can fix that kind of stuff. But at the same time, maybe they've taken their time with it because they know they don't really need to rush this one, especially if they're not expecting to get a huge amount of money back from it. It's kind of more of a just-for-the-fans kind of thing. One thing I guess I did not catch from this is... Is that new DLC included in this? Like, are you going to get the DLC for free as well, or do you have to buy that as an add-on?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I think you'd have to buy that DLC. Oh, okay.
Speaker 1: I thought you said that it was going to be free, but I think you're right. I think it will be a paid thing. And I think that's, like, probably a way to justify the price of this, is that you get everybody in the door on the remaster, and then, boom, you drop them with, like, the $ 20, $ 30, maybe even $ 40, $ 50 DLC next year. That's going to be, like, probably pretty meaty, right?
Speaker 2: Yeah. Man, they could, right? Wasn't Shadow of the Air Tree around that range when it came out initially?
Speaker 1: And I want to say Floating Mine was pretty expensive when it came out.
Speaker 2: It was $ 15. It was $ 15 when it came out, like out the hop. I'm pretty sure. I should double fact check that, but I'm pretty thinking back on my memory bank, which usually is a little bit weak. But I remember that was a big deal. It was literally a $ 15 DLC, and it had so much content. It was such an impressive feat. Here they are all these years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe I thought it was more expensive just because I've always associated it as having a lot of content and therefore I associated it to be kind of expensive. But yeah, I could be totally wrong about that.
Speaker 2: So $ 20. It was $ 20.
Speaker 1: 20 bones.
Speaker 2: May 31st, 2016.
Speaker 1: That's not bad at all for how much is in that for sure.
Speaker 2: And it's known as one of the best DLCs ever released. like just for cost to content you know comparing it's it's impressive for sure.
Speaker 1: Definitely yeah well there we go Witcher 3 remaster that's again coming out in September with the DLC to follow next year and with that that is our highlights from the first day of opening night live Kirkland thank you so much for joining me thank you everyone so much for listening as I mentioned we'll be back again on Thursday to talk about the GTA reveal and some game gameplay and all the fun stuff that's going to come along with that. So stay tuned to the feeds for all that. Thank you so much for listening. See you next time. Bye bye.