Speaker 1: This episode may contain content of a graphic nature, including descriptions of physical and sexual violence against adults, children, and animals. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: Hi everyone, I'm Tanya and I'm Teleah and we are Crimes and Consequences, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 3: Hey Tanya, Hey Shannon Banana, Tanya, Banya.
Speaker 2: How are you? Did you ever play the name game?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Nick?
Speaker 3: Oh, how's that my my man? Well, he's my boyfriend and he doesn't know it yet. He's a chef. You may know him on Instagram Lorenzen.
Speaker 2: To check him out, Cedric Lorenzen. He's on the Tiki Talks and the Instagram.
Speaker 3: Oh he's my new boyfriend. He makes me thirsty videos.
Speaker 2: Well, oh we'd be the thirsty ones, right, guys.
Speaker 3: Check him out. Let us know what you think of Cedria lorenz Than. I mean, I can't stop. I wake up every morning and I'm probably I'm giggling. I'm giggling every morning when I wake up, and it's funny because you know, I've been taking that tours appetite and I'm down nineteen pounds. No, yeah, thank you. When I think of like, oh, oh I need to get more my protein grams and because you know how it can make that's just how the nature of the beasts with maybe the summer glue tie too. It affects your appetite and not negatively nauseous, but you can get nauseous, you know. It's just like a little bit. And when I Shanna, don't go over your protein grams for the day, do it for I want to look nice for him when I watch his videos, his content.
Speaker 2: She wants to be able to shit into that wedding dress she.
Speaker 3: Bought exactly pretend.
Speaker 2: The wedding that I'll have in my mind.
Speaker 3: That's right, and it's the only man I was, so I'm tying.
Speaker 4: I'm like, oh man, And then I mean this is for years that I found Cedric popped in my feet and I was like, oh, thank God made man, Thank you Jesus.
Speaker 2: You should should send him a message, be like thank you for reawakening.
Speaker 3: Thank yes, yes, thank you for quickening me Cedric. So, but that's all. What's going on with you? Oh?
Speaker 2: Nothing much.
Speaker 3: You know you're ready for that new government job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got a new government job. I'm so proud.
Speaker 3: Are you on that?
Speaker 1: Girl?
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, I'm excited. It'll be fun.
Speaker 3: Had to decide.
Speaker 2: I did have a sad moment, you know, closing down my practice and taking things off the wall and packing up and trying to get out of my space so my landlord can try and rent it again. And it's sad because it's the end of an era.
Speaker 3: It really is. How long have you had your private practice? It's been about thirteen years. I've been a lawyer for fifteen years. I've not worked for someone in probably the last thirteen years. It's maybe thirteen and a half. My first year and a half or so, I was I worked for someone else, but I've worked for myself. That's my only apprehension is now I have to work for someone else and play by someone else's rules and have performance reviews.
Speaker 2: And but it's good. It's all good.
Speaker 3: I hear a leo, you are gonna slay you know what. I know.
Speaker 2: My husband's like, make sure you're not late for work, Like I haven't had a job before. Like I like, I'm like, yeah, twenty years in corporate America, thank you. I don't need advices to how to get to work on time.
Speaker 3: But yeah, but thinks I know how to ride that bike.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know how to be on time. That's never been my problem.
Speaker 3: No, No, I think it's gonna be great. I'm excited for you. New beginnings are great things.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm excited. So, and mercury is out of retrograde from what I.
Speaker 3: Whoa praise Jesus. I love when that happens.
Speaker 2: So what do you got for us today?
Speaker 3: Ooh, I got a horrific horrific crime of course.
Speaker 2: Oh, before we start, I would just like to remind everyone to hit the subscribe, follow like whatever button is on whatever app you're listening to. If you could just give us a little follow or like or subscribe, that'd be great.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you so much. So all right, let me get you started now right. It's July two thousand and nine, and let me give you a rundown of some of the things that's going on. July two thousand nine. Price of gas, it's too fifty eight a gallon. Let me see two thousand and nineteen and then five so fifteen years ago, wow, fifteen years gas to fifty eight a gallon. The minimum wage jumped from six dollars and fifty five cents an hour to seven twenty five an hour. Oh, I remember that everyone was all just up in arms about people getting ahead and being able to afford a life here in America.
Speaker 2: Making that seven to twenty five an hour, making.
Speaker 3: That seven twenty five because apartments are only one hundred bucks a month.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not the truth.
Speaker 3: So in two thousand and nine, what's keeping us dancing is the Black Eye Peas Boom boom pow, and I got a feeling. Oh remember that. I love black eyed Pea. It's bergie. And at the movies, we're watching Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, Transformers, Revenge of the fall I haven't watched Transformers, but it's the Revenge of the Fallen, I believe is the name of that, and also one of my favorite movies from Disney. Up.
Speaker 2: Oh I remember up?
Speaker 3: Yes, Sir Frederick staid, Yeah, yeah, having the Bird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have to tell you. In two thousand and nine, I was attempting to pass the bar and I finally passed.
Speaker 3: It that year.
Speaker 2: I took it more than once. I'm not ashamed to admit it, but no, girl times I took it. But I finally passed it in two thousand and nine. So I was on the struggle bus. I was balls deep in studying and all of that good stuff.
Speaker 3: So pass in the bar. That was a that was a good moment, you know, you called antonia. I remember, I was like, do you want me to drive by? I think you were at work. I was like, do you want to drive by and see the letters in there in your room, in your mailbox.
Speaker 2: Back in the old days when we only found out via mail. Now I think you can just go on the fucking website and find it. But yeah, we had to wait for the mail to come, and like you know, we were all a buzz because we knew when they were mailing the letters out. And I was like, oh my god, if it's a thick package, I didn't pass. Or if it's a one letter I didn't pay. I forget what the whole rule thing was. But yeah, and then my husband opened it before I got home.
Speaker 3: He did, Oh my god, I remember that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he opened it. He was just as anxious as I was. He was on this journey with me, so I mean, I don't.
Speaker 3: Write an help himself. My god, did we get it? Did we get it?
Speaker 2: We passed it. He went to church and lit candles.
Speaker 3: He went to the Oh, of course, you know he say like, blaze, mother, Mary, come on, we need the help exactly.
Speaker 2: So anyway, I okay.
Speaker 3: So that's in two thousand and nine. Now, on July twenty third of two thousand and nine, a woman named Julie Corey committed a crime that would horrify the nation. This thirty five year old mother of five beat her friend and one time neighbor, Darlene Haynes, who was eight months pregnant, beat her in the head, fractured her skull, strangled her with an electric cord, sliced open her abdomen with a nine inch slice, and stole Darlene's unborn daughter from her womb.
Speaker 4: Wow, I don't know.
Speaker 3: If you remember that. Two thousand and nine kind of gotta shake the pandemic away of before pandemic and they after try to remember that world in those news stories. So that was July twenty third. Now, on July twenty seventh, two thousand and nine, the landlord Darlene's apartment. She lived on Southgate Street in Worcester, Massachusetts. So he had entered Darlene's apartment. There was reports of a horrible smell. People haven't seen her there are concerned about her. Pets. So when he went into her apartment, there was, yes, the horrible smell. Went into her bedroom, walked over to her closet. He saw this bunch of blanket in there. He pulled on it and a leg fell out.
Speaker 2: Oh man, mm hmm.
Speaker 3: So the body, it's Darlene's. Now. She's found to have received the blunt force trauma to her head, the electrical chord rapped twice around her neck, causing strangulation, the nine inch incision of her abdomen, missing reproductive organs. Oh no, the victim was pregnant at the time, meaning Darlene, and at the time she was killed, her or born baby was missing. Here's the thing. Julie Corey. She has five children. She's thirty five at the time of the killing. And although she has five children, she only has partial custody of one of them. Oh really, and according to medical records, Julie has been pregnant eight times. Okay, and at one point, now, Julie, she did have tube litigation where they closed the tube so she can't get pregnant anymore. But it didn't take because really, she was seeing a guy named Alex Dion and she had become pregnant with his baby. And we know this to be true because the whole case, the whole premise of this is that Julie killed Darlene for her baby because she had lost her own daughter, her and Alex's own baby in April of two thousand and nine. Oh okay, So that's where the direction we're going, that's what I'm setting up here. Okay. So we know this to be true because there's records at UMAs Memorial Medical Center of April two thousand and nine showing that Julie came in at thirty weeks pregnant. Oh okay, so she was, she was thirty weeks. And now Julie and Darlene, they had briefly been neighbors at Southgate, where Julie and Alex had lived, So they were on and off, Julie and Alex on and off, and in the spring of two thousand and eight they had broken up, but got back together because Julie said she was pregnant with Alex's child. So now their relationship was a bit tumultuous Alex and Julie. She would frequently accuse Alex of cheating on her, and she was always afraid that Alex was going to go back to his wife. Oh he's married, Okay, yeah, so he or I'm not sure if the marriage was fully divorced, but there was definitely an estrangement of the marriage. They had broken up and then they moved away from being neighbors with Darlene.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: After that, now Julie calls out, Oh no, no, I'm pregnant again. She told Alex that she was pregnant with his daughter, baby girl, and that she was going to be due on June to teeth. Okay. After getting back together after the breakup, Alex couldn't believe sometimes like that she was pregnant. He would argue with like, I don't even believe you're pregnant still, or you're even pregnant, and he would she would try to convince him. She would show him a positive pregnancy test. No I am or listen to this baby monitor. But here's the thing. After April, Julie would never let Alex attend another doctor visit a wellness check. So there you go. You put it at bay. It sounds like she's trying to make a plan, right, And in April, on the thirteenth, they had gone to the hospital she was having pains. Then now they're not married, and you know, hippa. She tells the doctor she wants him out of the room, and that's where it's believed. She finds out that she's had the miscarriage and that's what the pain is. And she's afraid. She tells the doctor that she's afraid that her is going to go back to his wife. They're always fighting and she needs this baby. You know this baby, is gonna say, you know their relationship, Yes, exactly. Now June twentieth comes and goes, no baby. She tells Alex that our due date has changed now to July second. July second comes, no baby, no labor. Now that's you like fourth, you know she'll be here. And now when that day comes and goes, she tells him, Oh, I'm on the schedule for a C section, but I got bumped off that list. So apparently he has no idea of any kind of wellness care maybe or what's expected on the way of appearing for your child to arrive, because I never heard of a sea section bump list. I was just gonna say you got bumped, but from a list, from a list where you saying I just say, my gosh, I remember I have sea section. When they said, oh I already have to do a sea section, I was angels. The heavens opened and angels were singing. I was so thankful because you know, it's a pregnancy, the labor, Oh my gosh. So yeah, And if I was bumped off a list, I would fucking go in there like a yetti and clean out that operating room and say you take care of.
Speaker 2: Me, yes exactly, like are you kidding me? You mean wait out?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, but hold my baby? How deary? Now? She tells Alex her sea section is gonna be July twenty fourth.
Speaker 2: She went from July fourth to July twenty fourth.
Speaker 3: From June twentieth, July second, July fourth, July twenty fourth is her scheduled sea section, right, okay, Okay, So she's had like baby shower, she's she's telling her family every you know, her friends and family. There's they're not understanding. At the baby showers she had in May. In April, she had told people that it was this date, and at the baby shower she told it was this date. So everyone's getting conflicted reports about her due date. Yeah, okay, so now this is why I have in the events. On July twenty third, Julian Alex, they were together at Alex's uncle's house, Kevin, Kevin, Dianne. Now, they had just prepared for julie c section the next day. They had packed a bag, they got Alex's car ready. Now in the afternoon, Julie leaves in Diona Alex's car and she says, I'm going to go to a friend's house. She goes to Darlene's house, but it's just a friend's house to Alex, her boyfriend. Now, later she calls him and she told him that she planned to give Darlene a ride to the store. Alex did find this odd because he didn't think that Julie's girlfriend and Darlene were friends. And it just makes me think, like Darlene's twenty three. Now, she has three girls already, and she's pregnant with her and her boyfriend. His name is Roberto Rodriguez Tito. He goes by. I would believe that Darlene is under the impression that Julie is indeed her friend or at least someone, because she's given her a ride. You know, she's got a head up to the store. It's that my friend's gonna give me a ride. I just can't imagine a pregnant mom thinking someone unfriendly she would trust to go up to the You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Soon she did, right, right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, So then she tells them that she's gonna give Darlene a ride. Alex finds is odd. They're not really friends. Darlene's landlord saw Darlene getting into the car with Julie that afternoon. On the twenty third, around three point thirty pm. In the evening, Julie returned home, but then left again to go to another identified friend's house. And that was around eight And now we're fast forwarding still on the twenty third, Between eight forty five and eleven twenty, Darlene had sent some text to her friends saying that another friend was coming over to spend the night, and in one text, Darlene had said she was going to have a wine cooler, and in the final text, at eleven twenty, she said good night to her friends. At around ten PM, Julie began calling Alex to tell him I'm having stomach pained, babe. It's in around eleven thirty, she tells Alex that her water broke, so she leaves at three She's with Darlene. Now she's going to leave again at eight pm, going out to help another friend. What I'm reading and what I had uncovered, I'm not thinking at the time Alex has any idea that it' you know, of course, at Arlene. So then she.
Speaker 2: Calls when you were nine months pregnant for you like running around helping friends doing all kinds of shit. You're big as a house, Like, were you doing.
Speaker 3: That, Tanya? I remember when I was working. Yeah, because I worked all the way up to having my daughter, and I was eight months pregnant. I believe I was November. I dude, December twenty eighth was her due date, and it's third week in November, and I was doing squats to try to induce labor. Reason I was humongous. I'm like, no way, no way, this dude date is right.
Speaker 2: I can tell everyone how big she was.
Speaker 3: So I gave birth to a very healthy, beautiful baby girl, twelve pounds eleven ounces.
Speaker 2: I love, Okay. I wish I could show everybody her newborn picture because it is burned in my memory. Little face was so.
Speaker 3: Huge it was so big and adorable.
Speaker 2: It was like at first.
Speaker 3: I was like, jeez, Louise, could you give me closer on her face?
Speaker 2: It was like the cartoon were the old tex Avery cartoons where the stork delivered the giant baby.
Speaker 3: The people and the baby would push the dad to work, like pull it back, give him a push.
Speaker 2: That's what I thought of. And when I came to see you in the hospital and she was in like she's she had jaundice. So yeah, so I went in there. Of course they're all like premies and then there's then there's the giant baby that's stork delivered.
Speaker 3: There's the giants baby.
Speaker 2: She was so cute.
Speaker 3: Oh god, she was such a potato. And I love it because, you know, while we were there, the nurse, you know, you're learning how to hold your baby. If you're gonna breastfeed, you're learning how to hold you And I would push her a little push cradle or crib into the room with the other new mothers. It would be the savorite whoa, whoa, And so can I use your baby as an example? Oh?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 3: So the people in the back row, can he you know, see as well as the frock o people. Sure, thing chicken wing.
Speaker 2: But I'm saying, I know you weren't.
Speaker 3: I wasn't.
Speaker 2: My baby was eight pounds so she was a little big too. But I wasn't going anywhere. If I'm supposed to be induced tomorrow, I'm not going anywhere.
Speaker 3: Oh no way, exactly, I'm not going.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So now, and that's pretty much. You know what she's doing is the CEA section on Darlene. That's all yeah, because I haven't seen the video, but I've been told that there's a big silver bowl and they put your organs in there to get to the baby.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I know.
Speaker 3: I couldn't even I know, I just passed out if I saw anything close to me. Back to Julian Darlene. Now she's telling him that she's having pains. Then she tells him that water broke. Meanwhile, at ten pm, Julie began calling Alex said she was having stomach pains, and around eleven thirty pm, she calls him back to say that her water broke and that a friend was going to take her to the hospital and framing him in. About two hours later, she calls them back, Congratulations, we just had a baby, baby girl, So now we got Julie. She's calling Alex about twelve times through the night. And here's the thing. She's using Darlene's cell phone. And Darlene's cell phone is in her boyfriend's name. They are and it's the father of the baby is Roberto and it's in his name. Now at trial, this has becomes something because Alex has never received a call from Darlene's phone ever, and now suddenly, yeah, she gets Darlene's number and it finds out, Oh, it's his girlfriend. They just had the baby. She keeps calling him to kind of keep them updated on what's happening. She was saying that the care is terrible. She's thinking she's gonna leave things of that me. Sure, So we'll put that there because on July twenty fourth, now we're going to go back to the crime scene of where Julie and what's been going on. Around two am July twenty fourth, now she's been calling Alex, I'm here, I mean, this is what I'm doing. Well, the baby blah blah blah blah. Now, the neighbors across the hall from Darlene can hear banging noises coming from the apartment. Sounds like someone's picking furniture up and moving around just loud two am, three am, two thirty noises. And then from three am to four am they hear water running on and off in Darlene's apartment. And they didn't go check on her, and they didn't tell anybody. It was just people had observed it. So now, on the morning of July twenty fourth, between seven and eight am, Julie's home with the baby. Julie's out of the hospital by surprise. I'm home with the baby. She's wearing new clothes. Now, Alex, this is the thing. Alex notices that the baby has dried blood in the creases of her arms and neck and around her ears. Really notices too that the umbilical cord it's not clipped off with that plastic clip. Instead, it's tied off with string. Oh come on, but yeah, exactly, this newborn is there and you see dried blood. You know how they clean the baby at the household. They're born with that waxy cheese stuff number one that you're then the b and they just really clean up a babys be no blood or dried anywhere creases and they're not.
Speaker 2: Tying off an umbilical cord with an wet string. String.
Speaker 3: Yes, so it's not eighteen eighty nine, it's two thousand nine, right, we got plastic.
Speaker 2: Clips, red flag, red flags exactly.
Speaker 3: Well, Julie's house, Alex. She's like, well, it was too the so I asked the doctor to put the string on. Oh okay, yeah, because that's what doctors. Oh okay, Julie, Yeah you say so. Now, Julie. She she brought the baby around and starts introducing the baby to family members. There's a family barbecue on the twenty fifth that she brings and people are noticing. The neighbors, the people at the barbecue, they're seeing that the baby has drive. Still, you haven't watched your baby. You're not your it's not your baby. The baby, yeah, the baby. You've already killed her mother, And how do you not see the Oh god, you never watched the baby though. Come on, like you said, he has five kids. She knows how to fucking walk. If she doesn't, I don't know, well she doesn't have them, so yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Watch them. I don't know.
Speaker 3: And maybe that is exactly why she doesn't have them. As for things such as now, Julian, Alex, they're poor Julie doesn't work and I didn't find any employment of Alex, and the neighbor ends up taking them to the store to buy formula because they have no money. Another thing that people had noticed, besides the dry blood on the newborn is how small this baby is. It's very small and it looks if the baby's cold. It's just not looking, you know, like a healthy, happy newborn that you're taking around to show off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, should look.
Speaker 3: July twenty six, Julie and Alex they moved to New Hampshire and go to a homeless shelter. When they get there, there's red flags. The police have also been tipped off about how she's the weird dates and now she has this baby and so yeah, when she's at the homeless shelter, the police are notified and they come. Now. They were getting money to stay at a hotel and they did seek assistance from the welfare office while they were in New Hampshire. In the short amount of time, Julie had been receiving benefit from her pregnancy when she was pregnant, right, yeah, you know, she had told her case where I have such little money and I can't work. Well, the case worker is like, well, give us your the baby. You know, we'll need your daughter's birth certificate so you can get the We need the proof so you can get your Wick benefits and whatnot. They find themselves at the shelter and the staff at the homeless shelter take the baby to go get checked by the doctor, and this aggravates the fuck out of Julie. She begins to say things like no one's taken this baby from me. She's overheard saying that, And so the doctor wants to take a picture. She's like, can we take a picture of your daughter? You know, they need the red flags. The doctors are aware this is everything is not right. So she's so pissed and then she leaves. She leaves doctor's office before the doctor can come back with her kid with the camera. Right, they're going back and a review of hospitals and framing him where she said she had her daughter and eat the neighboring NATA. They produced no records of Julie delivering a baby and inside of Alex's car. What they did find when they arrested her was falsified birth certificate for the baby oh, listing ye Alex and herself as the parents in birthplace of framing Ham, and the police also found a document from Julie's health center stating that she would receive benefits during her pregnancy, that if she wanted to receive benefits for her pregnancy, she would need to reapply for benefits after her delivery. So all of this paperwork a paper trail of her apparently thinking this shit's gonna fly, right, that delusion. I don't even know how you. I guess you just keep going til the wheels fall off. Guys, I guess you'd keep going with the lie, right for sure. Back in Massachusetts, the law enforcement began investigating and documenting Darlene's apartment where Darlene's body was found. There was red and brown stains saturated both sides of the mattress on the bed. Red brown stains were found on other items in the bedroom and the kitchen. Investigators found a Smirnoff bottle in the living room and when they tested for the DNA on it, Julie matched the mate. Oh, that's the profile. So she had a Smirnoff while she's at Darlene's apartment. So there's one in the kitchen and another one in the bedroom where they found next to the body another smirt off her DNA. At the trial, the Commonwealth alleged that by the twenty third Julie had lost her own baby and was distraught, and contended that Julie was concerned Alex would leave her if she didn't have a baby, and that she would lose her benefits. So they also argued that Julie was seeking a solution for her problems, decided to kill Darlene and take Darlene's baby as her own.
Speaker 2: Right. Oh, so is Alex and the fact that she lost her.
Speaker 3: Benefits, Yeah, that's all she is most concerned. She needs that baby for benefits and to keep her relationship with Alex. Yes, so now this is her case right. At trial, Julie vigorously argued that even if she took the baby, she did not kill Darlene.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: She argued that it was not possible for her to commit murder, clean up the victim's apartment, dispose of the evidence, and take care of the baby, all while repeatedly calling Alex. So what she's saying is she's arguing that Julie was wanting to say that Roberto, Darlene's boyfriend, had killed Darlene. Oh, so the father of the baby is gonna kill the mother, remove the baby from the baby. Yeah, the mother of his child, he's gonna do kill and give it to her. That's exactly that is what she's arguing is that law enforcement's investigation was sloppy. They didn't look into several things, they didn't do a cell phone pinging investigation. Just all of this smoke screen bullshit to not take accountability for the most horrific and selfish bullshit, fucking shit I have ever just read about. Yeah, how goddamn selfish? Can you fucking be unbelievable? Some another mother's life and mother to mother to me, being a mother is so sacred, like there's really nothing a higher calling. I just can't understand that kind of ruelty. I can't find a world like I mean, keeps saying selfishness, but ah, she's just it's beyond selfish though. Yeah, her defense is suggesting that Rodriguez, after murdering Darlene, saved his baby and then gave her to Julie and then Julie's team also argued about the shitty evidence gathering and whatnot. Yeah, it just makes sense.
Speaker 2: Why would now they say, like, you know, pregnant women are more likely to be killed by their partner, Yeah, and by like a stranger. So okay, let's say he really did want to get rid of Darlene. Let's say I really want to get rid of Darlene, Like, Okay, he's going to kill her, and he's not going to take the baby. He's going to give it to a stranger. Like sense either to me?
Speaker 3: It makes nose. Yeah, when the partner, it seems like in those domestic cases, yeah, no one cares. The male never cares about the unborn child, right yeah right, like yeah what he never gives a second thought? Right, And I too, like that's and the whole point of killing her, I think in those situations is because she's pregnant. Yes, right, so yeah you're one stone, yeah right exactly. In their mind, this is easy, peasy, ye know, a quick fixed. Yeah, this is no I know. Yeah, Darlene did have a protection order. Again, there was domestic violence. Roberto sounds like he was had those kind of relationships with where they was violent because it was not only Darlene, but also an ex had pulled a protection order on him. So they were all like see c it could have been him. It was probably him that did this to her. So they're coming at no responsibility. They are truly no guilt, not guilty plea enter was, you know, and they're just standing by it. I didn't do it. It was somebody else. I just happened to get Darlene's baby. Yeah, okay, because that's how the world works, right, Yes.
Speaker 2: I was in the right place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. I was like, hey, look what we got. Mm hmmm. So in the closing argument that was that Roberto had killed his girlfriend, that he had demonstrated a pattern of violence consistent with murder, and she had given testimony that Roberto had attacked and choked her. Okay, and she's just coming out with all of all of these stories. So the jury her testimony also that a first aid kit was taken from the victim's apartment that contained DNA from both Rodriguez and the baby. They found the Schmernoff bottle with Julie's fingerprints, and then you have your ex boyfriend who you have a ppo against, but he's coming over because that's the fuck upness of life. Unfortunately, So yes, Roberto's fingerprints are going to be on it, and like you said, you always have to look at the partner and domestic situation for sure. But he is nowhere. He's nowhere near her apartment. July twenty fourth, they're trying to say he was. They bring out witnesses saying, oh, I saw Roberto near here and he looked scared and disheveled. I called out his name. He ran. He was seen near as cemetery nearby. And so the defense was trying to elude that the missing sexual organs of Darlene from that that's he was seen by there, because that's where he had dropped off the organs. That that's worth in the cemetery. So they convicted Julie, thank god, after all the fucking show bullge, horse and pony show. Yes, Julie A. Cory. She was convicted of murder in the first degree on theories of deliberate premeditation, extreme atrocity or cruelty, and felony murder with the predicate felony of aggravated kidnapping of twenty three year old Darlene Haynes. And that conviction came on twelfth February twenty fourteen, so it took five years to this day, five long years and lots of complications. And when you're throwing all this bs, you know, I can imagine the prosecuting office. They are dotting eyes and crossing t's for this bullshit of not me, not me with the baby with the dried blood. Oh you know it should be I'm just gonna throw this out here, not like you know how the premise of the purge per se, but there should be a shake the shit out of you day that you just fucking get five picks, five picks, shake the shit out of them, make a short list, you know.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So now she gets convicted on February twelfthy fourteen. Her son come down a week later, on the eighteenth of February. She sentenced to life in prison without parole. Now here's a little cavey, I a little hold up. Five years later, her felony murder conviction was tossed, was it. Yeah, So five years later, twenty nineteen, it gets tossed, the judge saying that there wasn't enough evidence to prove she committed aggravated kidnapping during the killing. And she also, so.
Speaker 2: I'll explain, like a felony murder conviction, you are charged with felony murder when you commit another felony in the course of committing a murder. Okay, So that's like the difference. So if she did not do the aggravated kidnapping, which is the murder, then she can't be charged with felony murder. She could still be charged with murder in the first degree or second degree or whatever. But there's the levels and with like sentencing and stuff like that depending on what crime that you are charged with. So it's important to note. If she was convicted of felony murder, then if they throw out the underlying felony that she committed, she can be convicted of felony murder anymore. Oh, they'd have to reconvict her on a different murder chock.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh my gosh, what a shit show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, because she convicts people, and that's how they convict people. Let's say you and I go and rob a bank and I shoot somebody and they die. You can still be convicted of felony murder because you are committing a felony while the murder happens.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's how the convict people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you you know, you'll hear stories about people that are like on death row, and they didn't actually pull the trigger or didn't actually commit the murder, and that's their whole premise is like, but then they committed you know, they got convicted of felony murder because they are when the murder hit, they were in the middle of committing the crime. They're committing the felony. That's what all that means. So and underlying that led to yes, yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Julie. She had also had appealed for a new trial on the grounds that she had ineffective counsel. That was denied though so now in throwing out her first degree murder conviction, the lower court judge said the prosecution did not prove that the baby was injured during kidnapping, which enhances the crime to aggravate it and allows for a fellow any murder charge. Yeah goes yes, Now, they needed to prove that the Commonwealth needed to provide expert testimony to show the jury how the baby would be injured or at risk of death, but did not do so.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, yeah, yes, yeah, that you have to prove for aggravated kidnapping exactly.
Speaker 3: The Supreme Judicial Court disagreed with the lower court praise God, you're right. So now, Darlene, you know she's killed the mother. This is their humpback to the lower courts judgment quote. The victim who was the mother of the baby was killed, and the baby was removed from the victim's womb, along with all of the victim's reproductive organs by someone without medical training. This was done at the crime scene itself and obviously not an austerile environment, the opinion said. The jury were also told that the longer this loss continues, the more harm and danger there would be for the baby. So they concluded that the loss of blood and oxygen caused by killing of the mother presents a bodily injury to the fetus. Okay, so when she had stopped Darling's oxygen and blood, of course that's going to stop the babies. Yes, yes, her babies. So the Supreme Judicial Court also denied Julie's requests for a new trial, based her on the ineffective council, which she claimed because her lawyer did not call for the cell phone location expert to detail her whereabouts on the night of the murder. Well that's why she's you know, hey, it's not right. The good news came on Monday of this year, March eighteenth, twenty twenty four, the Supreme Judicial Court reversed the lower court's decision and reinstated Julie Corey the first degree murder conviction.
Speaker 2: Nice, Oh, she did not get away with it.
Speaker 3: What a journey, What a journey, what a life. There's so many victims. You know, Darling has three daughters now, and I did read when I was researching. I want to say it was her daughter, Jasmine. She spoke out at the sentencing for Julie Corey. Oh did. She was nine and she said something of the effect of you killed my mom.
Speaker 2: And that was mean, Oh, how heartbreaking, how.
Speaker 3: Exactly I mean, for the depth of losing your mother at such a young age. And you know, Darlene had family who loves her, right, you know, her father, grandmother. So there's just senseless loss, as these stories do. And you just got to get the I ask the lesson, what do we learn from this?
Speaker 2: I don't know. People are assholes, That's what I learned from it. I don't know. That's just so I know. I always wonder, like we do these stories, and I think about like these people, these victims, and then the ramifications like it's not only okay Darlene's life, you know, she lost her life, she lost her opportunity to see her kids grow up and all of that. But then the ramifications of everybody like her, her family, her friends, you know, and then Julie's too, like family and friends. All of these people are innocent victims, you know, it's not just the victy them who lost their life. And it's such a These stories are just terrible, and I just every time I think like, Okay, I've heard the worst one, then I hear another.
Speaker 3: One, and I hear around the corner.
Speaker 2: I know, at one point in the podcast, I can remember thinking like, what if we run out of stories? But that was really naive of me, because they're never going to run out of horrible stories, because people are horrible and they're evil and they're just terrible to one another, and there's always going to be, unfortunately, more victims and more stories.
Speaker 3: So I am like, it does seem like when is it going to end? When are we smart enough? Because I hate a fucking person who acts them. Yeah, that's the that's the top of my list on shake the shit out of you, don't you fucking act dumb in front of me. I know, the people who think they're the smartest ones in the room, the cleverest, the cock yes, are always the fucking dumbest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, you know we've come through, We've come across quite a few of those assholes in this podcast.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. And I think about it. You know, Darlene's daughter, her father, not Darlene's father, the baby's father ended up, Roberto Rodriguez. It lives. The daughter went to go be with her dad now and she's raised by her father, and you know, just thinking about it, she's fifteen. Yeah, that's everyone's journey is just so different. You know. I keep our heads up and keep going forward, keep that balance and give hope on some things. That's what we got to do.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you Shannon for the story today.
Speaker 3: Well my pleasure time ya, and it's.
Speaker 2: A very sad one. In case you haven't done so, I would like to remind everyone to hit the subscribe or follow button on whatever app you're listening to. We have a website, Crimes and Consequences dot com, where you can find merchandise, and it's been a very long time since we've updated it. I will be teaching Shannon how to do that, so maybe she can get us updated, probably like I don't know, fifty episodes behind, God only knows, and fun. Yeah, i'll see. Then you're going to become an expert at it. I just can't remember how to do it now.
Speaker 3: It's not difficult.
Speaker 2: I'll remember. And then we're on Instagram and Facebook at Hardcore True Crime. And if you have a suggestion or you'd like to contact us, you can email us contact at Crimesoconsequences dot com and you can get in touch with us. So I think that's everything. And until our next episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you guys have a wonderful Labor Day week and enjoy yet get ready.
Speaker 2: Thank you, I will see you next time.
Speaker 3: Bye Gus