Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Game Spot Off the Dark, episode one hundred and five. Baby, I'm your host, I say, and I am joined as always by the fantastic threesome that is Jean Lucsi. Hi, Hi, Yes, I said, threesome. Get over it, sandwich. The meat of that threesome is Jordan Remee.
Speaker 2: I don't know how I feel about being in this position. Ball right, I'll take it.
Speaker 1: And the final the bottom, the bottom bun has been toasted. Michael him the pe stands for peanut in his name.
Speaker 3: Oh, bombs up?
Speaker 1: Baby? How you doing? Everyone? Everyone good? Everyone chill, I'll get him getting nutting heads. I'm getting some smiles. Oh, Michael, Michael through and I don't know in there. Just to mix things up a bit, let's kick off as usual with the what We've been playing section of the podcast, which has got some real cool things in there. We're gonna start with Michael because he's got ship. He's got two things which are the same, but one thing which is the same but different, which is intriguing.
Speaker 3: Well, both of them but different this time. So last week I talked about what am I trying to say? I started playing Pokemon Unite and I was. I was a couple of matches in at that time. I had played the night before, but I am deep in Pokemon Unite. Dog, Oh my god, you know what I'm saying, Oh man, you were on a CAVEGD. I was gonna say, kvegd's nuts.
Speaker 2: Well there.
Speaker 3: So Pokemon, you know, Pokemon Unite. I'm getting Yo, I've I remember what it's like to be toxic. No, well I'm doing I'm doing well.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 3: I feel the toxicity in my veins. Bro, Like, damn, Now, I remember what it's like to play a competitive counter show.
Speaker 1: Are you feeling system of a down? Bad for that toxicity?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the toxicity of the city.
Speaker 1: Yo.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's fun though, like I'm having a ton of like what I'm doing well or the match is close, like I'm having a lot of fun. But there's like I don't like the I don't like feeling. I don't like getting angry, like at at people playing a game because it's like, ah, you know what if there's like some ten year old kid who just downloaded the game because it's free and like, oh cool Pokemon. I don't know what the fuck is a moba or like when people are AFK, like, oh damn, they're in and it's probably down bad like, but I'm just like pissed. I'm like, yo, there's three at the bottom lane and I'm by myself and y'all, motherfuck is chilling back at base? What are y'all doing? Of course there's a voice chat, which is a good thing. It's a good thing. You don't really there's nothing really to say. It's like, oh, okay, top lane. Oh I see on the map that you're getting attacked the bottom lane. Maybe you need support. I'll go there. But there's I don't know. There's something about polemon Unite that's very enticing. I think it's just like the the just the theming of Pokemon, just like this grand kind of production value of like, yo, you're a trainer in this big ass stadium and everyone's got their bogmon and stuff. But mechanically it's last last week, I said, I wasn't sure if it was gonna get that deep, and like it's it's not, but I don't think it has to be. Uh, it's it's like I said, easy ten minute matches, you jump in. That's really important. I think for the approachability of the game, so I don't have to like fucking do a forty minute Dota match to get something out of it. And there's quick matt five minute quake matches, which I enjoy a lot, low stakes and ranked. I'm like great Class three, which is like the second above beginners, so having some success, having some fun, enjoying it, playing with my girlfriend a lot. I don't know if they they got me, man. I've stepped away from competitive games, like like I said, because I don't like the feeling of being pissed off at a game and other people like I don't know, I don't want that much. Like the only thing I played is Final Fantasy fourteen because like, you don't have to do PvP, and even the PvP stuff is just like I'm here to get my rewards. It doesn't matter if I win or lose because the stakes are like super super low for that. But yeah, probably my night's cool. I spend money on that ship. God damn it about the battle Pass.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh my god, he's spending money of a grind.
Speaker 2: I spent a grind.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: Last time I spent money on like on a free to play game was Apex for Battle Pass which Jordan's talk about later.
Speaker 1: Well, I can't wait to hear it.
Speaker 3: Hear Jordans how about Apex, Jordan and Apex Like that's that's a that's peanut butter and jelly right there. But yeah, I've been playing on Unite. You know, you know what it is, File Fast fourteen. The thing is, every time I talk about File Fanacy fourteen, there's something new. I'm playing the same game, but there's always something new to talk about. Like I've been, I've been expanding my horizons in terms of trying out different content and File Fast fourteen because there's so much shit. So I've been spending a lot of time in the Gold Saucer, you know. I've been playing, uh, playing some hoops, playing the Strength test, your strength hammer hammer thing, getting some getting some Gold Saucer tickets, buying some cool items. There's a Make It Rain campaign which is happening right now, which is a cool side quest where you have to investigate someone fucking jacked a valuable item. Someone snatched up a valuable item from the Golden Saucer and I have to find out who the fuck it was. And it's kind of cool because you have to talk to NPCs without any quest markers. So and then you have to like, oh okay, like what actually happened? Go talk to this NPC now and piece together the evidence.
Speaker 1: It's easy. Oh yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Big time.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, cross over the phantom. These like stole a bunch of shit from the Golden Saucer. It turns out that people own the gold Saucer a bunch of fucking capitalists, which is yeah, which is probably true. I mean, like the only the only person who would think of building Golden Saucer is probably a wild like dickhead.
Speaker 4: So but I enjoy it.
Speaker 3: I like Cold Saucer. The tunes are playing and the caccars are everywhere serving me drinks.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And also what else have I've been doing in that?
Speaker 2: And uh?
Speaker 3: I'm playing different classes, Like I said, I think last week I was talking about like playing Tank and Healer a lot more. I've been playing Healer. But playing Tank is a big responsibility. I get nervous every time I go into a uh, every time I matchmake for a dungeon. I'm always like my first thing I always say is howdy, partners, to set the vibes. You know, I set the vibes always howdy partners, Howdy partners. But then when I'm tanking, like new tank here, my bad give me some listen, Like Ben still needs to show me the ways, but like I just tell me, you know, new tank here might be I like, you know, he set the bar reil low. So then when everything goes well, like oh hey you know player accommodation, Yo, you did it.
Speaker 1: You did pretty all right.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: If I busted in and there were like, yeah, I got this ship, I does this, and then I'm like, why you why you pulled? You pulled too many too many money? Yeah, it's uh yeah, there's there's so much more in Fan Fantasy fourteen I wanted to get into. But god damn man, what a what a what a beautiful, wonderful game. What else I've been doing? There's something else I've been doing in that game. I don't know. I get like fucking I get like shmacked, and I'd walk around like the city towns for ten minutes and I think like two hours passed by and I'm doing shit. Oh, fishing, That's what I've been doing. I've been fishing. Yeah, I got welshmacked and I just like go, fishing fishing is so fucking cool because like Ben was the one who told me about fishing raids in this game. So fishing fishing, well, it's yeah. It was like no, it's like no, it's it's it's dope. It's pretty chill though it's not like it's not like, oh I gotta like calculate all these moves or whatever. But it's like you go on like a twenty four player of Fishing Trip and I think it's like a thirty like it's a thirty minute instance and you have to I think you're split into teams of eight, like just like you would do like a like a typical raid.
Speaker 1: Before he's gonna say fishing trip, well, that's you take.
Speaker 3: Like a big ass boat out to see and it's like it's like a closed off instance, and like there's like you have to every time you catch fish. It's like you add points. So and the way fishing works, you have to use a certain to catch certain fish. You need a certain bait, and you need to use certain skills like okay, this is how this is the hook ability I'm gonna use and this is like the the other ability to catch the fish I'm gonna use So that kind of determines whether or not you can catch like the biggest fish. So there's there's some level of skill and strategy to it. But for me, I'm like pretty low level. So I'm just like b I'll get whatever I get. I don't give a fuck, and you just like level up hella fast. And there's a whole quest line for a fishing It's kind of cute. It's like, oh, you have to go to this area, use this bait to catch this fish delivered to this person. You get new items also shiit so fishing and gold Saucer Boy fourteen.
Speaker 2: You know what it is.
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to say, like, you go out with all those people and you catch have you even seen one piece where they fish anything in one piece? They're like, oh yeah, it's just normal fishing rod and then they fish out fish the size of like a planet, and it's always like that. I bet you they've got like massive fishes, but it's it just normal sized fishes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, normal sized fishes. There's the instances like if you go on the fishing raid, there's this is where like the whole scene turns into like or Borealist or some shit, and it's like, yo, you got three minutes to catch like five starfish. Go and it's like oh, everyone's just like tripping, like oh yeah, yeah, I got out of the biggest bait. I got it, Like oh my god, the five starfish got away, like oh, make sure you get it. It's it's a good time.
Speaker 1: I loved this. Can't believe, he said repeatedly, fishing raid. What the world do we live in? I logged into Final Fancy yesterday. Actually it was it was an emotional moment. I locked in and it was like there's a cue of people. I was like, all right, I'm looking.
Speaker 4: Out figured out all your account?
Speaker 1: Shiit with that. I So the reason I logged in was because I wanted to try and figure out which Tucky's fuegos I have access to here and I can't tell if I got my my UK one or my US one. It's weird. So I think I've got my US one because he's level nine and I'm pretty sure my my UK Tuckies fuegos was like level thirty something. So okay, I'm just I'm just stuck in around Reborn forever. That's my that's my punishment.
Speaker 3: That's not that's that's no way to live.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what is a way to live is playing your favorite game. In this newest season, Jordan tell us about Apex Legend season ten.
Speaker 5: Oh, my, Apex Legend Season ten is Apexx back, baby. This is like the best season that they've had in a really really long time.
Speaker 2: Like season nine was all right.
Speaker 5: I think we can all agree that the best part about season nine was the fact that they got Rika Eeschy to voice Valkyrie, and they are like one of the most talented voice actors ever, so that was a great gift, and they basically sold this season. I'm pretty sure I only played season nine because I'm like, I'm just gonna pick Valkyrie again so I can listen to all these dope ass lines. Season ten, though, World's Edge is my favorite map in that game, and they've made huge, massive changes to it, like train Yard is gone. I realized that this will meet like nothing to people who haven't played Apex. The giant sorting factory in the middle of the map is gone. It just like sunk into a sinkhole. Like they're going hard on the whole. Like, yo, this big corporation that runs the games is like on the side like mining this planet, and they're like trying to hide it by being like.
Speaker 2: No, people are still playing a battle royale here.
Speaker 5: Like everything's safe, and like Bloodhound is like, yo, your mining natural resources faster than they can replenish.
Speaker 2: This shit is blood.
Speaker 5: All these banners that are like yo, fuck Hammon into like free our planet from the corporations, and I'm like, yo.
Speaker 2: This is so do yo Apex okay, I see y'all.
Speaker 5: Uh And there we have a we have a love triangle going on between Valkyrie, Bangalore and uh Loba because Loba heard that Bangalore just called her a friend in the last season.
Speaker 2: So with Valkyrie to kind of.
Speaker 5: Like get anime love triangle bullshit.
Speaker 1: I love that that they basically turned Apex Legends narrative into like or in high school club and like, h what.
Speaker 2: Else is going on? Oh see her obviously is there.
Speaker 5: And like despite having this like cool ass voice like Javic, he is just this incredible dork that like loves talking about like the beauty of the world and like your inner beauty.
Speaker 2: And stuff like that.
Speaker 5: So when he's jump Master, he'll be he'll be like uh oh I'm jump master. Wherever I land, it will sure to be beautiful. And then he'll point out a spot and it's like this spot right here, it's elegant, and they'll like jump from the ship and it's like break a leg, my friends, and they'll pause me, be like metaphorically, and they'll be like, be sure to bend your knees.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, this, dude's such a door.
Speaker 4: Like I love it so.
Speaker 2: But yeah, awesome map. New character is great.
Speaker 5: Probably a little bit too strong right now. I don't agree with everyone saying that, like, oh, he's way too overpowered. I think he's just a little bit too strong. We'd be increase the cool down of his ultimate ability of a little bit more and he'll be in a much better place, make it easier to dodge his tactical ability.
Speaker 2: But uh yeah, dope character. Awesome new map.
Speaker 5: The stories going in wild directions between the love triangle and the fight capitalism.
Speaker 2: Stuff that's going on.
Speaker 5: Haven't tried ranked arenas, but eager to get into that at some point, just to really how the see what that's like. When I'm actually going up against peoplehere, it's like, oh, everyone on my team is doing this to be sweaty, and everyone on the other team is doing this to be sweaty.
Speaker 2: So it's like to be.
Speaker 5: Yah.
Speaker 3: Is that terminology for trying hard? Yeah, yeah, I've never I haven't really heard that before, but I was like, I think context that, I think I know what that means.
Speaker 1: It's like, really, I think it's fairly new in terms of coming into popularity as as as far as like words go. But yeah, there are some I like, I'll be I mean, like, I play a lot of Valorant and I tell you that it's water that community is water wolf sweaty.
Speaker 3: So Pokemon Yo, Pokemon, I think I might be the only one who in Pokemon Unite who's sweaty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sounds like you're the sweaty player in Pokemon. N this is what you want to There's an amazing TikTok of a Pokemon you know, for Pokemon Unit. Where is this man and he's like playing Pokemon Unite. He's like screaming, Yo, what the fuck is that guy doing in the top lane? What is he doing the top plane? Why isn't he And then it cuts to the other player and it's just a kid game. I like Pokemon.
Speaker 3: Saying like that's probably how it's going that so I'm like, I don't want to be mad about that. Apex sounds so dope though, Like I mean obviously like that was that was That's been my shooter for a while, but I dipped out around like season five ish, I think, but damn, that's that's really good to hear Man's.
Speaker 2: Wanting to play.
Speaker 5: I think they just bragged that like they made like a billion dollars in the last quarter and like most of by.
Speaker 3: Like they're like we got ten, we got ten acquisitions. None of them tanked, but we got one one, we got one, Like we're not bad acquisitions.
Speaker 5: Look at Reese, I'm like, cool, you're like one for ten, great job, hey, but that that one is it?
Speaker 1: And dog like damn, like uh look, even playing the back for blood Paine, is that hitting.
Speaker 4: It is hitten? Uh dude. I did not realize how much I missed like Left for Dead, Like holy shit, Like I played so much of that in like high school with my friends, and I was like, it's been like ten over ten years at this point, I want to say, like ten years since Left for Dead two, right, that was like twenty It was like two thousand and nine or something like that. I mean, they like supported that game for a while, but like I am, I am, so I'm so into this game. I'm I'm feeling it. We only got to check out the pv E because the there's also a PvP mode, which is like the big new thing they're adding in this, but it was like we were having like server issues trying to connect, so we were like, ask girl'll just play the PV But I think the thing that I'm like really really digging about it is like all the little stuff that they're adding to this that like Left for Dead didn't have, So like the card system is like actually pretty cool. Like it's one of those things that you look at and you're like, I don't want to build a fucking deck of cards or whatever, but like but you don't have to because they just give you like default stuff and you can put it in and all the cards really do is it just means like at the beginning of every round, they randomly pull like a card from your deck and give it to you and they're like here, here's like a selection of like bonuses that you get that can like you know, boost you and.
Speaker 5: Very curious to see what that process is like like hours into the game, like we played it for like two hours, but like because all the cards keep stacking on each other, so you keep getting more and more positive and negative effects and something like so what's it like when you're like ten hours into that game and you have way more cards than before?
Speaker 4: Yeah, me too, or like can you do specific bills because in the in the default cards, they're like, this is like a medic deck, And I'm like, can you actually like properly like build I don't like a class, but I guess like, oh, my character has more like yeah, medical based perks on and like I'm yeah, I'm curious. I'm with you. I'm curious how that like plays.
Speaker 5: A guy that Mattinelli's gonna make someone right in weeks.
Speaker 4: But yeah, Like and the cool thing is because like the I think I think the setup where you can just kind of keep playing, like you said, like you beat a campaign and then you can in the beta you just go to the next campaign immediately and then it just keeps the stack going. And that also goes to like the weapons, so like, uh, like looking back, like a problem left for Dead is it's like once you found like the weapon you liked, You're like, cool, I'm gonna stick with this for the rest of the campaign and you're not gonna like really change that much. Uh. This is like, first off, there's like way more guns in this game. There's like all sorts and there's a ton of different like attachments and stuff that can like kind of significantly change like the stats on the guns. But as you're going you'll also get like different rarities of those guns that you find, and you want to keep increasing that because the difficulty is constantly increasing as well. So like you're it kind of is like forcing you to like eventually like trade trade out your gun and be like, Okay, well I should probably I've had this sniper for like four acts and it's hell a week now and I should As much as I love it, I should probably trade it out. But I mean it's just fucking left for dead, like I've said, you know, like that's that's all it needs to be, all it needs to be, and and it is like exactly left for dead, Like you know, they have all the there's way more voice lines now with the characters, so like they have like all that like ambient dialogu where like the different characters aren't acting each other. Who who was the character that Ben was playing? Hoffman meant Hoffman. Hoffman was so so first off, Ben kept accidentally shooting everybody. Uh it was like the only one. But it's just immediately all the other characters will just yell at the characters. So like every five minutes, someone would just yell Hoffman, what the fuck, like, don't do that, and he'd be like, ah, shit, my bad. This is just this narrative of everyone just hates Hoffman. Also, Hoffman's like a weird conspiracy theorist.
Speaker 1: Oh hell yeah, boy, kind of love those characters.
Speaker 4: They were like.
Speaker 1: Alex Jones in batt Yeah, and.
Speaker 4: He's voiced by uh, the guy who played doc oc in a Marvel spider Man. So he just sounds just like that, and he's like like they're like he's like talking about how like area fifty one is like a government conspiracy to keep people from paying attention to areas one through fifty like dumb shit like that, and you're like like, ah yeah, Like I miss like this fun like ambient dialogue between all the characters. Like that was something I really loved about Lefford Dead too, Like you know, characters like Coach and Nick like and you know, like the dumb kind of like bullshit that came out of that. Like so it's it has all of that charm there.
Speaker 1: That is what I was gonna ask, Like, how how charming? How memorable is it? Because to this day, anytime I'm in a pharmacy, I will shout pills here, like to any if anyone's around, I'm like, pills here, pills there.
Speaker 4: I don't know, I don't know that it's gonna go that level because it is like the same thing, but like you can tell they had to, Like I mean, there are pills in that game, but no one shouts pills here because they're like, ah, we probably can't exactly shout that, or like you know, they have like a boomer equivalent, but they're called something else. I don't even remember. I just called them all by their Left for Dead names and that's as.
Speaker 5: Which it'll be interesting to see like how quotable this game is because I think Left for Dead benefit from the fact that, like it's the same for people, that's true, Like they build like a camaraderie like this is eight people. Then you form a squad of four from that eight mm. So it's like, will some characters be more popular than others? Will there be like this one character that no one really plays as and they just happen to have like some really funny one liners.
Speaker 2: Interesting to see how that comes out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would also love to see because we only saw the two campaigns and they're they're good, But I would say the environments remind me more of Left for Dead one, where they they're trying to be like very like realistic and like, okay, you know, like all right, we're going through this forest area and now there's a church and all now there's like a farmland and it's good. But like I really love when like Left for Dead two got weird with it and they were like all right, we're like in the mall or like we're in this like uh carnival. Like Left for Dead two, I thought, really started to get weird with the environments in a way that I haven't quite seen for this one. And I'm kind of hoping they like eventually do maybe in like further updates or something like that. But I mean it's yeah, like I said, it's just it's Left for Dead. It's just it's just left for Dead and I'm I could not be more happy that there is like a new Left for Dead style game in twenty twenty one because I missed that shit.
Speaker 1: I'd love to see it. I'm excited to play it. The open beta is happening soon, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so this weekend, as the time of this episode released, it is open. There's a early access closed beta, So either you have access to it if you pre ordered, or I think if you signed up for their uh signed up for early access on their website and you got in, then you have access to it. I don't one hundred percent quote me, but I think if you had access to the previous Coast alpha you have access to this. But I'm not one hundred percent sure. But next weekend on the twelfth to the sixteenth, it's open for everyone.
Speaker 1: Heh. Yeah, and I checked out for sure. I have been playing a little game called The Outer Wilds and oh yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah it is. Streams are fantastic.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you. I appreciate that. Yeah, I've been streaming on a Twitch show tape for a sessional h and watch. But yeah, it's been it's been really really fun to play that game. I don't know if I mentioned this before or who I was talking to. But I've it's been a kind of reprogramming experience for me in that the last few years we've had this very specific kind of game design and this is probably all takes that someone has had had the year it came out and probably sounded intelligent back then, and right now it's just me because I'm playing the game years later. So everyone's just going to be like, yes, we've been through this, but like, we've had this kind of like game design where you know, games want you to see everything and they want you they're constantly funneling you from one thing to the other and over burdening you with too much information, and it kind of has this impact on your sensibilities as someone that plays games right, you start to expect it, and you also start to you behave in certain way, Like I find myself more able to disengage with games like that because I'm playing something like an Assassin's Creed where it's like here's the trail, here's all the information, here's all the numbers, here's the location on this map. You can go to this level of the map. I'm like, I don't have to look, I don't have to pay attention to any of this shit. I'm gonna pull out my phone. I'm gonna look at Twitter. I'm gonna see what's going on and like, you know, WhatsApp for a bit, because when I come back, I don't have to listen to these characters. They're gonna surface every bit of information I need to know in various menus and UI. So I find these days with those games, I'm able to disengage more or I'm like it happens way more whether I want it to happen or not, whereas this game, it's like the polar opposite way tells you nothing, like literally nothing, and it is like go into space and just figure that shit out. And because of it, I'm like laser focus on every minute detail and it's kind of it's like retraining your attention span. It feels like where I need to and I'm like playing it to the point where it can be difficult to monitor chat on my streams at the same time because I'm so focused on what's going on. Whether it's like flying the ship, which is one treacherous too very very difficult and it requires like constant finessing, or it's something as simple as like just plot, puzzle platforming, or reading a bit of text. The text is it's a very sharply written game and full of like really called law and background and exposition. But it also is like it feels like I are equated to and people who know the reference or like the touch point will not. It feels like listening to a Lupe Fiasco album where like his he whereas everyone else's rap lyrics are just like the most cookie cut of bullshit, you don't even have to pay attention to it. We listened to a Lupe Fiasco or Kendrick Lamar, you have to like hear the line, think about it, unpack it, and then like listen to it again to realize, oh, this is what it means. And that's what every bit of text in that game is. Like. It's like, oh and the norm I did this, this and this and this, and you're like, okay, but I think I've seen that word somewhere before. It could relate to this planet, and it's like mental note taking and digesting everything. And because of that, it's like creates this like absorption effect in the game where like I play it and I'm like four hours just vanishes and it's just unbelievable and obviously some of the most creative shit I've ever seen happen in a video game. And like falling through spoilers, falling through the black hole for the first time, like it was genuinely like jaw dropping, like in my seat, like I was like, what the fuck just happened? And then falling through a second time and finding the white Lotus station or whatever and realizing, oh shit, I can make it to that and then use that to teleport me back to Brittle Hollow. That was unbelievable. Like every revelation is like it's that they've gained the fight epiphanies, and it is unbelievable. Like that feeling of having an epiphany is every like few minutes in this game, and it's like it is truly one of the easily one of the best games I've ever experienced from a design perspective, Still not as good as SAC. I think we were right in that week gave.
Speaker 2: Like where were you in twenty nineties?
Speaker 4: I mean like I was now. Jane is like, yes, yes, still I needed your support.
Speaker 1: We made the right choice. That's all I'm saying. What was the other thing I was going to say, yeah, So, like the way I've been playing it is like it's also it's I mean, like I know the kind of gamer I am, but it's exposed the kind of gamer I am to people that are watching me on stream, because like, I'm the kind of person where once a kind of a path of investigation happens, I I cannot This is a game where everyone's like, hey, you don't have to complete every planet. You can just you have to bounce from planet to planet and you know, come back and draw connections and go back and forth to complete it. I cannot do that. I'm so I cannot do it if I'm like in a place, I need to exhaust everything in there, because then the idea that something exists over there that I haven't seen is like it's like a version of fomo where it's like there could be something more. So I've played that game for maybe fifteen hours or something like that, and I just finished I think everything on Britain Hollow, which is the first planet i'd let I went to immediately after leaving the main planet. So I've just been on that one planet constantly finding all this shit. I finally found the goddamn the Southern Laboratory, which there is a path to it, but I was like, I got don't know where that path is. So I jammed my spaceship through the core of the planet and then jammed it into a tree and then like chopped out as it was falling into the black hole and land on our platform and got into to the thing I still need to I still need to figure out fuck the black Forge station is for. But I think that's the thing that I'll have to figure out later on because I need knowledge from So now I'm going to Giants Deep on my next stream. But incredible game, incredible music. I'm not sure if I'm hurting or helping the experience by constantly playing big Shack soundboards over it, but that's how I do on my stream. But yeah, I'm in love with that game. It is very very good. And then another game quickly that I've just started that I think is very very cool is The Forgotten City.
Speaker 2: So many people talking about.
Speaker 1: It is really I'm very early, but immediately I was super drawn in, and I think it's I was drawn in for a lot of the same reasons that I'm drawn into our walls, where it is so the story behind this is it is a game that was created by a very small team based on Skyrim, so they use Skyrim modifications to create this very curt time loop story. But because it was on Skyrim and they were like relatively, they're using other people's tools, and I think they're like a small team, it was buggy. And also it looked like Skyrim many after Skyrim, years after Skyrim was released, which is like no shipping on Skyrim. When it came out, it looked amazing, but these days, like, yo, what is this? This looks like a rotted cracker, and like now they've got a brand new engine, but like it still looks like Skyrim, and it's presented like Skyrim in the same way that you walk up to a character and you interact with them and it does, yeah, it does the zoom as they're turning towards you and you're like this ship is Skyrim.
Speaker 2: Moving their mouth and like the rest of their face is just like so.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. And the other thing is like you pick up an object and you're like, this motherfucker is Skyrim. But and you know how I feel about Skyrim. No more Skyrim, but but no, they have they have done extra work to like like animate a bit better. So they've done a lot of work in improving it visually. Beyond that, it's like extremely well written, like very very well written, to the point where again you have to pay attention to everyone, like everyone so far that I've encountered is it feels like a unique character. You know how in Skyrim you go to like speak to eight different people and six of them will tell you how they've taken an hour to a knee and you're like, I see, yeah, this fucking shit works. It's not like that. This feels like where everyone you're talking to has their own backstory, their own unique kind of like perspectives so far, and very early in the game, maybe like one or two hours, so that means that you have to really and because you're solving a mystery. The mystery of it is like it takes place in Rome. I think it's many it's many many years ago post Christ. So there's a cults, there's a there's a group of cults that believe that that follow a person named Jesus who are doing some wild shit and these Romans are well upset about it. So that's when it takes place but it's just weird like city where there's a Golden Rule, which is basically, if anyone commits a sin, everyone is killed. They're all done. That's the story, and you're you kind of end up there as a person from the future, and the person that's brought you there knows that someone is going to commit break the Golden Rule soon, and it's like you need to figure out who's going to do it before it happens so I can save my people. And that's the entire setup. I don't know yet. I don't know it could be anyone.
Speaker 2: So is it then like outer Wilds where it's like looping, Like.
Speaker 1: So far I haven't found any I haven't found any loop kind of thing because I haven't died. There is There isn't as far as I can tell. There is some sort of combat because one of the starting items that you can have, I picked a flashlight, but it's a gun with ten bullets, but you can never acquire any more bullets. You can only you only get those ten bullets. So you could be like, so I anticipate there's ane in the future, Yeah, exactly. You might be like, shit, I need to speed this thing up, or I need this answer, but to do it, I need to kill this person or something like that. But maybe when I die it will like loop again. But as far as in terms of outworld comparisons, it's not as vast I think so far. It's an incredibly detailed city, but like it's designed to be like very very immersive and have a lot of detail and intricacy to it, so you're not exploring a massive open world. Instead, you've got this like tightly constructed area that you very intimately learn so you can get around it on repeated like plays or like loops if they if those are other things, and I've tried to stay away from like reading about it. That's why I can't tell you for sure if it loops in the same way Out Worlds does because I haven't reached the loop state. But I expect that is the case. And there's like wild shit happening where like you can talk, like I'll talk to someone and mention like how do I get out of here? I'm like, yo, don't say that shit, Like you know you could tempt the gods because you know this person tried to do this one time, and like, because no one knows what is a sin or not, Like there's no definition of a sin, so like to one person like.
Speaker 3: Like a booth something and be like, oh, she's yeah.
Speaker 1: Like one of the first characters I met was like a person who was like he was gay but like is very comfortably gay, and like he's being harassed, and like the question is why isn't the person that is harassing this person, this gay person triggering the golden rule? Because is that not like are you not committing a crime? It's harassment not a crime here, and you have to kind of like figure out what like the the intricacies and the definitions of what is moral what is illegal, And it gets very philosophical very quickly, and like you think about it and you're like, maybe it's because at that time, the idea of being gay was considered abhoring, which is like fucked up on a different level where you're like, oh, man, I don't know how I feel about this, Like you have to make so many considerations about it. But so far the experience has been like talking to a lot of people, which is like as mass effect and RPG fans is out completely our shit, but like, because there's not a lot of else to do, it around it like there's not a self i haven't encountered any combat scenarios. I'm not taking cover and firing popping off, you know, gunshots or bow and arrow shots or anything like that. It's very trimmed down to like, talk to a person, learn what you can learn, get a sense of who they are, go to speak to someone else, chase the lead, start to formulate an idea of what's going on, and maybe a key like at some point, accuse someone and see what happens. But it is that very much like it feels like an incredibly tight, very potent like character driven, narrative driven, dank RPG experience without any of the kind of like trimmings of an RPG experience. So imagine if if it was like Mass Effect, except the only thing you really did was walk around the Normandy constantly talking to everyone, which is.
Speaker 4: Sounds like a pretty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is amazing. Like now just applied that to Skyrom where it's like you've got one area and you're just constantly trying to talk Like it, it feels like I hope it sticks to landing. From everything I've heard, it's amazing. But yeah, that's what I've been playing and yeah, so we're gonna move. We don't have a new segment this week. We're actually going for a shorter podcast this week because I have, unfortunately an appointment to attend to King Tam must leave, I do, I must, I do, and do need to leave. But obviously there's a lot of things happening in the industry right now. There's some Honestly, like, I don't know what is the one thing that we do want to address, because I think it probably has to be the ongoing Activision thing along with the fall Bright thing that's currently happening. We spoke about the Activision thing last week and little has changed. I think the main thing that we want to add to it right now is like, don't let the new cycle cycle out the important the issue out of the timeline and out of your mind. Just keep it front and center because it's still happening, and if you need any indication that it is happening, you only have to look at the full Bright. Steve Gainer thing, which, to kind of cut a long story short and her kind of horrible story short is Steve Gainer, known for Gone Home Tacoma works out a fall Bright currently working on what's the name of the new game, Open Roads. Yeah, and in some months ago step back from his position in leadership position at fall Bright after it was found that there was a culture of microaggression and toxicity towards women that pushed many, many many of them out, too many of them out of the company, made them decide to leave. And yeah, he's now taken a step back from it. But you know, it's a horrible thing. There's an amazing report done by Polygon that you should read which details it extensively, and the Open Roads team for Bright has put out their own statement around it. But needless to say, it's not good and it continues to be an example evidence of the industry being systemically abusive towards and towards women and creating cultures that make it hostile working places for them. It fucking sucks. Anything you guys want to say about it.
Speaker 4: Uh, I mean, I kind of said on Twitter yesterday, but I think this just this shines a light on Like I think it's so easy to look at like because like the Activision Blizzard stuff is like some of the most like wild, heinous shit, right, It's like you can easily look at that and be like god damn, like, holy shit, this is like disgusting. Where this is like you know, they made it clear there was no sexual abuse or harassment, but it I think it can be too easy to look at to feel like, oh, it's not this incredibly obvious, disgusting thing, and therefore it's not as bad or it's not you know, like you could feel like, oh, well, I don't have it as bad as those people, therefore it's not worth addressing. And like I just want to say, that's that's nonsense. Like I think anyone who makes anyone feel like a lesser person for any reason is uh needs to just get kicked out, like shouldn't be there, you know. So yeah, like I sorry, I'm kind of rambling, but I guess I just want to say is like I think this is a a great example of like don't don't look at just the big things, like look at the small things as well, or the smaller things, and like those are those can be just as harmful, like you know, like you would think like oh, you know microaggressions like ah, doesn't sound so bad. It's like no, like that shit sucks. I have I've experienced that kind of stuff before and like that ship like creates a work environment where people don't want to work, people don't want to be there. It ruins creativity, like it's it's unsustainable for like a healthy you know, like work culture, healthy mental state. Like it's that ship ain't good. And like I'm I'm I'm glad they're they're you know, he steps down. I don't. I find it very questionable that he's still there at all incapacity. I don't agree with that personally, But you know, I I hope at least that the team that's currently there is I don't know, at least like that. I hope they feel better, Like it is all I say. It's like, you know, I don't want to speak for them, and but like I hope that they've started to heal there. And and I'm curious if he's going to stick around after the game is done, because it sounds like Anna Perna, who's the publisher, is very has very much siloed him away from everyone else, and they're sort of like he's not directly communicating with the team. They're kind of acting as like a mediator. So I wonder if they're sort of like, hey, you're going to help finish right the game and then you're out. But I don't know, they haven't, they haven't said anything. That's just speculation on my part.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, if I encourage everyone to read the report from Nicole Carpenter on Polygon, because when you read it, like it's one thing to pass by the tweets and see the headline, but to actually read it is to also understand exactly how hostile work environments affect people's morale and affect people's lives. And this isn't just like two or three women who worked with Gainer throughout the years. This is like a lot of people have come out and said that this is in fact how bad it actually is. And yeah, it's, uh, it's wild to think about. I think this hurts a lot of people in many different ways. I think like Gone Home and maybe to a lesser Steck extent to Coma were like important experiences to people. And it's really odd to think about, like how Gainer was led those games that are particularly I mean obviously games are made by several different people. Uh, it just it's it's really it's wild to think about. But yeah, it's another thing too. There's probably reasons why they put them in a writer role like that unbeknownst to us. But on the outside looking in, it's like, I don't know if you should be touching any of those any of those games going forward. But internally it's the wild part is like Open Roads put out the statement before the Polygon article published that.
Speaker 2: Was fucking weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was fucking weird. And the statement was like very like he stepped back from his role, hope you still look forward to our game. And then everyone's like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Concertingly vague, like an.
Speaker 3: Hour later, an hour later, It's like Nicole Carbonser was like, yo, here's a story, and you're like, yo, this ship is fucking bad. So I guess I encourage everyone to like read and like fully understand like how abusive work environments can affect people, and like that this happens more often than you think. And I hate to say that. I remember Lab zero not too long ago with Mike z and obviously Skullgirls and Indivisible was a very important game to me, and I followed because maryel Kunugo Cartwright, who also works with Meg sixty four, like I followed her work for a long times, like oh, she works on Skullgirls, she works on Indivisible, So that's how I follow Lab zero. And then I was like, oh, Lab zero is like one of these cool, like indie developers that make cool games. And it's like, yo, the guy at top at the top though, is a piece of shit. Uh And then the rest of the workers like, yeah, fuck this, We're out. We're starting our own studio. So like, I know, the Activision Blizzard is like a triple A corporate environment, but any work environment is susceptible to abusive power structures. So you know what I'm.
Speaker 5: Saying, Educate yourself, Like that's the thing, because not only a Lab zero. Last year we had a Scavenger studio that's working on Yeah, yeah, that.
Speaker 2: Game with the black girl riding in the bike ro I'm like, oh, this looks really cool. I'm all about it.
Speaker 5: And then Game Industry Biz came out with the report. I'm like, oh, just shitty white guy at the top, like, and it's educate yourself, try to stay informed. It's obviously one of those things that sometimes these things are just in a whispered groups, so you don't know the details until you're within the group. When the story eventually comes out, but just try to stay prized of all the situations. Try to notice the patterns that people are talking about so that when you notice them, god forbid, in your own workplace, you can try to stomp them out immediately.
Speaker 2: But yeah, be.
Speaker 5: Vigilant, especially if you're a CIS gender dude, because we carry a shit ton of agency in our workspace. So we got to step up and be the change that we hope to see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, agreed, well said, all right, Well, ordinarily we would have our listener questions segment, but because this is a speed run episode of the games after the Podcast, once again, I apologis. This is all because of me. I I I'm bad at managing my calendar today and now I must leave. We're gonna, we're gonna, we're gonna, We're gonna skip the h the listener questions portion of this again, I believe. But we will have a we'll have it. Maybe we should just do an all listener questions episode soon. That could be a good thing to do. So if you if you wanna, if you wanna give us some AMMO for that, you can email us at after Dark Podcast at GameSpot com or hear up. Ever myself for Lucy on Twitter and let us know you want to join a discord where there is a specific section devoted to submitting questions, and you can do that then and then maybe one day soon hopefully we'll do an all listener questions. If not, we'll just pepper them in throughout the next few episodes. In the meantime, you can find us all on Twitter. I'm at Tomo h Sean Luke. Where can people find?
Speaker 4: You? Find me?
Speaker 5: John Seppi, Jordan, where you're at bro You can find me at jm Remee.
Speaker 1: Michael tell him about you, annoy your bullshit?
Speaker 4: You can.
Speaker 3: You can find me in all my bullshit at Michael p High. I'm on Twitter. Yeah, I'm getting a camera stuck down my throat tomorrow or the time that whatever. I'm deep thirting a camera. My doctor said I have to do.
Speaker 1: Your doctor said, I thought this was another one. Oh no, it's fine. I thought I forgot you told us to mention that on cool. No worries, it was important detail to all of this. We'll see next week everyone, Bye byes,