Speaker 1: Now your host walking you up to first pitch. It's Tim kays Hi.
Speaker 2: Everybody, and welcome in to Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck. Hope you're well on this Wednesday afternoon. You're a world champion Los Angeles Dodgers in the midst of a tough East Coast road trip. They started off the year eight and zero, drop two of three over the weekend in Philadelphia, and now the Dodgers wrap up this East Coast road trip with the final game of this three game series in Washington, d C. Landon Knack on the mound in this series finale, first pitch coming up at one oh five. Between then and now, we got a lot to get to here on Marongo Casino, Dodgers on Deck, you're gonna hear from the manager himself. Dave Roberts will dive deeper into today's pitching matchup with Landon Neck called up from TRIPLEA Oklahoma City. David Vassa is gonna go one on one with one of the bright relievers for the Dodgers, Jack Dreyer. We've got your Dodgers magical moment. We got your prize picks. Double play of the day coming up in thirty minutes. Shortly we'll hear from Kirsten and Watson from Sports and at LA who is on the field in Washington, DC. In just a few minutes, we'll send it out to the Gallpin Motors broadcast booth with Tim Neffett and Rick monday Well. Yesterday in Washington, DC, the Nationals got after the Dodgers early and off, and Justin Robleski got the start. The left ender had a great spring for the Dodgers, but that success didn't translate to the mount yesterday. In the first inning, a lead off single, then James Wood a two run home run, the Nationals grabbed the early two to nothing lead. In this second Robleski got two quick outs but then ran into trouble. A single, two walks loaded the bases, then a walk to Woods brought in the third run of the game. That was followed by an RBI single from former Dodger prospect Camber Luiz and the Nationals had a five nothing lead on the Dodgers. Then in the fourth, Robleski again dug himself out of a hole. A leadoff single, then a walk, a sack five minut at six nothing, but then James Woods with another blast.
Speaker 3: Left handed batter James Wood, who homered one time, and he hits one deep to right center field.
Speaker 4: He's done it again.
Speaker 3: His third home run of the series is second of the ball game. Two more runs come in. It is eight to nothing on a two homer night for James Wood.
Speaker 2: Two run shot for the twenty two year old budding superstar for the Washington Nationals. They had an eight to nothing lead. The Dodgers offense a rough go at it until the fifth when Andy pat Has hit a home run, his first of the season, a solo shot that got the Dodgers on the board down eight to one. Then in the eighth, Dodgers got on the board again thanks to.
Speaker 3: Kike less than ninety minutes from wherever you are, Morongo, celebrating twenty years of good times. Key k Swings Hammers won the left. This ball deep and heading to the wall, it is gone. It's a home run for Kei k Key k Hernandez. With four hits on the season, all four of them have been home runs. The score is now eight to two.
Speaker 2: Solo home run for Kik, but too little, too late for the Dodgers. They fall to the Nationals yesterday eight to two. With the loss, Dodgers have now dropped three in a row for their last five on this road trip. Today, though, they look to end on a winning note with Landon Knack on the mount and with more. We head out to the Gallpin Moters Broadcast Center and say hello to Tim Neffett and Rick Monday. Guys.
Speaker 3: Tim, really nice day here in the nation's capital. Sunshine, blue skies, not a cloud anywhere. Temperature is a little bit cool, but it's going to be a really good afternoon for a ballgame here on getaway Day at Nationals Park. And the Dodgers are in a position today where they're trying to salvage a game out of this three game set. They come in with a record of nine and four and the Nationals five and six after winning four straight. Jake Irvin gets the start for the Nets, no decisions but an ERA of nearly five and a half, and Landon Nack will make his second appearance. He's one to zero with an ERA of zero. Well, it's go time for the Dodgers. Mall things have not gone well for them here in DC, especially last night when they lost that ball game by an eight to two score. Dave Roberts telling us in the dugout just a little while ago he fully expects a much different effort today.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and just reading between the lines. In his postgame comments last night, the manager was not particularly thrilled with what has happened on this road trip where they're one and four, and there's a couple of reasons for it. Obviously the loss is no question about that. But missed opportunities. I mean, in five games, the Dodgers have struck out fifty times, including fifteen last night, so they haven't really covered a lot of pitches very well at all, and that's not created many many opportunities. In fact, I talk about runners in scoring position a lot. On this road trip. Dodgers are hitting just one, eight, two, only twenty two at bats with runners in scoring business position, and in comparison, the visiting teams have had forty opportunities to knock in run with somebody in scoring position. That's going to change a little bit, and no better time to do it than this afternoon.
Speaker 3: A little bit of a change in the Nationals order is CJ. Abrams, the regular shortstop who has had a thigh contusion. He is back in the lineup today, leading off, and then James Wood who's been a Dodger killer this series with three home runs. Will bat Sakon would really proving himself to be a good, very good, an exceptional young player.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and if we look at the Nationals what they have done. Dave Martinez their manager, he has put guys in motion. They have not been afraid to either go on the front end of a hit and run or just a straight out steel attempt. They've had a lot of action on the base pass and they've had plenty of opportunities because of either walks issued or base hits. The other part two, the Dodgers have not played really a clean game day after day on this road trip. They've made way too many mistakes physically with airs.
Speaker 3: Keith k Hernandez back at first base, hitting atheists four hits on the season and all four have been home runs, and Dave Roberts saying today that Freddy Freeman's rehab has been going very very well and they expect him to be back in the lineup Friday night at Dodgers Stadium against the Cubs playing first base, Jake Irvin going for the Nationals, and Landon Knack pitching for the Dodgers here this afternoon in DC too.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you guys, as we count you down to first pitch. Dodger fans, get your game day meal on at Shaky's Pizza Parlor, Shaky's Pizza, Chicken and Mojo's. Order it right now at Shakey's dot Com. Coming up here on Dodgers on Deck, you're gonna hear for the manager, Dave Roberts. In forty minutes, you're gonna hear from Jack Dryer. We'll check in with David vas Say. Throughout the show, we'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup. We got your magical moment coming up, your price pitch double play of the day. But up next we'll hear from Kirsten Watson from Sports An LA live on the field at Nationals Park. That's all coming up as we lead you up to Dodgers and Nationals on this Wednesday first pitch at one oh five. Thanks with us. I'm Tim Kasey's the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: It is Morono Casino, Dodgers on Dodgers on Deck, y'all on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: It's the Dodgers and Nationals on this Wednesday afternoon, Landon Nack and Jake Irvin the pitching matchup. First pitch set for one oh five.
Speaker 1: This is the Otani rewide two one.
Speaker 3: O'tani wraps it in the right field. That's a base hit and for Otani he continues the longest on bass streak in Major League Baseball, going back to last September fourteenth. He's now but on base in twenty eight straight game.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you what, I don't know how you stopped the guy show.
Speaker 2: Hey, Otani couldn't be stopped yesterday in the ninth inning. With that, it's single two strikeouts, though one for five. On the afternoon, he had an up and down road trip so far, five for twenty with a home run and eight strikeouts, now hitting three hundred on the season of his ten never mentioned extends that on base breaking out at twenty eight games.
Speaker 1: This is Kirston's corner with Kirston Watson.
Speaker 2: Dan Keirson now joins us from the field that Nationals Park brought to you by Cars for Kids. Ready to donate your old car? Call eight seven seven Cars for Kids right now. Friendly agents standing by to take your donation that's cars with the kay donate your car today the Dodgers Kirsten looking to leave our nation's capital with some positive energy and on winning.
Speaker 6: Note, Yeah, it's been it a few days here for the Dodgers going up against the Nationals, who's been freezing. There's all of those things that the guys, they will not make that as an excuse. Ultimately, last night Jess Robleski just said we just didn't have his stuff, wasn't able to execute his pitches, and obviously we saw the big home runs that they were able to put up on the board.
Speaker 7: So with coming into today, Dave robertson saying he.
Speaker 8: Does expect a different level of focus. Last night there was fifteen strikeouts from the Dodgers offense, which when you look at just the talent of this lineup, that doesn't seem like anything we would have been saying all year, unless maybe it's going up against someone like Chris Sale or Church school Ball, which we already face them, and that wasn't the results. So when it comes to this one today sometimes is just about pride and an ego and wanting to get things going. So Dave Roberts doesn't expect a different turnout in this one and hopefully, like we always say, a win and a happy plight home back to Los.
Speaker 2: Angeles, Lan and Nag recall from Triple A Oklahoma City. He pitched in Tokyo and the Dodgers hoping he pitches well today.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And Dave Roberts has been really impressed with Landon and just and how he's handled different situations, whether he's been asking him out of the bullpen a start, come behind, an opener, or whatever the case has been. He has found ways to you know, put his team in a good spot to win. So he does have the tall task today, but he is going to be supported by a fully stocked bullpen. That was the positive of Jessin Robuski's outing yesterday to only use two arms and relief the guys are in a good spot heading into that off day tomorrow, so everyone is available and so well, I guess I'll it's like thanks Various who went multiples or Luis Garcia, but for all of the key arms in the bullpen, high leverage arms, everyone's available to support sat Land and act as may be.
Speaker 2: Today, Kirsten, we appreciate it. Hopefully it's a happy flight back for the Dodgers. We'll check in with you on the post game still to come here on Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck will dive deeper into this bitching matchup. David Vese goes one on one with the reliever Jack Dryer up next, so an injury report and we'll get the pregame thoughts to the manager. Dave Roberts lead you up to Dodgers and Nationals on this Wednesday, first pitch of one oh five. I'm Tim Kasi's the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunter's game on your home for LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: It's the Dodgers and Nationals, final game of this three game series from our nation's capitol, final game of the road trip with land and neck on the mount. First pitch coming up at one oh five.
Speaker 1: This is the LA Dodgers Injury.
Speaker 2: Presented by UCLA Healthy Official Medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Blake Snell on the il with the left shoulder attended NINAS MRI on Tuesday, came out clean. He is going to take at least two weeks off. Freddie Freeman on the il at the bat ryde Ankle more on that coming up with Dave Roberts in just a minute, Tony Gonsolin, Evan Phillips and Triple A Oklahoma City working on minor league rehab assignments. The Dodgers in all, with thirteen players on the injured list, let's head back out to Washington, d C. And check out the Dodgers. Skipper questions for Dave Dave? Can you just describe Dave?
Speaker 4: Can you talk about the pressure.
Speaker 1: In the dugouts with Dave Roberts?
Speaker 4: What's your expectations when you go back home for Freddie Freeman? Will he be available on Friday?
Speaker 9: So yes, the expectation is for him to be in the lineup on Friday. He's had live VP the last couple of days and from what I understand I saw yesterdays, he's come out of it well. Watched him right the gate looks really good and so if nothing changes, he'll be in the line up on Friday.
Speaker 4: What's the needle you have to thread as a manager, as an organization with the guy that obviously is going to tell you he's fine, but we know that right. Ankle is still a little tender.
Speaker 9: I think the needle. The needle is a little bit wider in the sense that we've built a relationship now and I would say that if you would if we were to rewind three years ago, he would still be active right now, Whereas I think now he understands the short term gains the long term, and he'll be the first to tell you that his time on the IL was beneficial and as it was last year, and so I think that that's sort of helped our relationship.
Speaker 2: All Right, there's Dave Roberts talking about Freddie Freeman coming off the injured list on Friday, when the Dodgers return home for the next homestand we continue here on Wrongo Casino Dodgers on Deck. We will check in with David Vass and Nationals Park get you all the latest as we lead up to first pitch, final game of the series, Dodgers and Nationals. I'm Tim Kates is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on your home for the Blue All Season Law.
Speaker 2: It's the Dodgers and Nationals final game of this three game set, final game of this road trip. Back east Land and neck on the mount. First pitch coming up.
Speaker 1: At one oh five, joining Tim cats on Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 4: I accept everybody for who they are.
Speaker 1: This is Dodger insider David Vase and.
Speaker 2: David Vassa now joins this live here on the radio and on Instagram. Live on a FI seventy LA Sports Live from Nationals Park, dv A Big day. Today's show A Otani on the mound.
Speaker 4: Yes in the bullpen, Yeah show, Hey, Otani, get used to this. Every Thursday is going to be throwing a bullpen session. And with the day off tomorrow, he threw his bullpen session today. And the reason for that is Otani wants to keep some sort and the Dodgers want to keep him on some sort of schedule. When he does come back to pitch, He's not going to pitch every fifth day. He's kind of be He's going to be like Sazaki where he pitches once a week and for the next few starts. For Sazaki, it's lined up on every Saturday. So you'll see him Saturday against the Cubs. And my understanding is Otani has started to throw his split fingered fastball, so that's a good sign. As well, And as he walked by me to go throw his bullpen session today, I offered my services to stand in again. All he did was laugh, laugh me off.
Speaker 2: Well it's not a no, Dave, So there's still a shot. Dave is driven by Ford. If there's one thing we like, its choices, find yours with the Ford F one fifty gas hybrid, all electric, tough. This mark can only be called F one fifty. We've heard you talking to Dave Roberts earlier, Dave about Freddie Freeman and the ankle. Is there any con maybe he's coming back too soon on that ankle right now?
Speaker 4: Well, I feel like that's been the case since spring training started. Most guys would have, you know, taken it a lot more cautiously than Freddie. But Freddie obviously cares so much about being in the starting lineup every single day and that's a big source of pride for him. And that's a big deal for a player, right. You got to be a guy that you can be dependable, and that's part of it. If you're a really great player and you're not dependable, you're not that great. But since he did slip in the shower, Dave Roberts said, the silver lining and blessing in disguise is that they have been able to put him on the ten day IL and be able to figure it out from there. Hey, Eric Carrolls just stepped into the booth here. He doesn't know we're on Instagram Live. I could have showed his Irish screen tie. But yeah, you know, Freddie, it's going to have to be the Dodgers really in control of this, because if it's up to Freddie, he's going to say every single day I could. The Dodgers are going to have to make that decision themselves.
Speaker 2: Dave Keyky Hernandez, He's played a great first base in Freddy's absence. At the plate, though he struggled. He's got four hits and all four from home runs.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Uh, that's never happened in Dodger history. By the way, a player having his first four hits as home runs, and Anthony Volpi of the Yankees actually did the same thing his first four hits were home runs. So maybe it's a sign of the times because we all know guys are looking for the slug. But Key K told me in Philadelphia he's got to relax more at first base. Because he's letting his mind being occupied with playing that position affect him at the plate.
Speaker 2: Dave appreciate it well, check in with you in just a little bit. Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Santa Anita Park every Friday through Sunday with millions in payoffs every race day. Don't miss the biggest derby party west of Kentucky Mother's Day dining in free Fridays with drink specials. Go to Santa Anita dot com slash events coming up here on Dodgers on Deck, you'll hear from Jack Dryer, will dive deeper into this pitching matchup. But up next your hopey magical moment. It's the Dodgers and Nationals first pitch of one oh five. I'm Tim Kasey's World champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying yes' is Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Get away to day in Washington, d C. Dodgers and Nationals Landing Neck and Jacob Irvin. The pitching matchup. First bitch from Nationals Parks at at one oh five.
Speaker 1: Dog who wants to hot It's time for the Hawfy Magical Moment. Bitch Magical presented by Hawfey Hot Dogs.
Speaker 2: We go back to twenty sixteen Dodgers and Nationals in the NLDS. After splitting the first two games in DC, the two teams would split the next two games at Dodger Stadium, setting up a game five of the NLDS at Nationals Park October thirteenth, twenty sixteen. Dodgers fell behind one and nothing as Max Scherzer held them scoreless for six innings. Finally, in the seventh, the Dodgers erupted for four runs, highlighted by Justin Turner's two run triple. Dodgers led four to three. Kenley Jansen got the final out of the eighth, went back out and the ninth got the first out of the inning. He had a career high fifty one pitches and was running out of Gasso. A rare relief appearance for Clayton Kershaw.
Speaker 3: Kershaw for the save. Two on and two out. This is a game that's going to be remembered for a very long time. The pitch to DFO swung.
Speaker 4: On and miss strike three.
Speaker 2: Drop by Ruiz throws to first.
Speaker 4: And the Dodgers are going to Chicago as Clayton Kershaw, in his first relief appearance in seven years, records to save.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers come from behind.
Speaker 3: And beat the Nationals four to three to win the National League of Vision series three games.
Speaker 2: To two on two day's rest. After throwing one hundred and ten pitches in Game four, Clayton Kershaw closes it out and the Dodgers advance to the twenty sixteen and LCS. This Hofey Magical moment brought to you by Hofy hot Dogs, Haffey Sokow's local treasure for nearly one hundred years, Hoffey hot Dogs, Local and so great. When we continue here on Dodgers on Deck, we will check in with Rick Monday and get to your prize picks double play of the game leading you up to first pitch On this Wednesday, I'm Tim Kais's the World Champion. Los Angeles Dodgers Audio network.
Speaker 1: Is Lorongo Casino. Dodgers on Dodgers on Deck. Y'all on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers and Nationals wrapping up this three game series. Dodgers need to get away and I mean dropped three in a row four of five on this East Coast road trip, land and neck on the mount. First pitch coming up at one O.
Speaker 4: Five got him with the two for one hard shot to third a second on the first double what double total games.
Speaker 1: This is the Prize Picks double play of the day.
Speaker 2: Download the free Prize Picks app right now and join me and millions of other baseball fans playing daily fantasy sports at Prize Picks, and when you sign up, use the code go blue, Go blue to get fifty dollars instantly after you play your first five dollars lineup. It's so easy to play. You just pick more or less on at least two players for a shot to win up one thousand times your catch. It's strikeouts, RBIs hits, total basses, first inning runs. You pick more or less at Prize Picks and use the code go Blue. Here are my two picks today. Mookie bets more or less a half a total base. More for Mookie Bets, ta Oscar Hernandez do for a big game today, more or less a half a total base This is an easy one. More for Taoscar, Hernandez. Join me at Prize Picks Price Picks.
Speaker 1: Run your game and now joined by David bas saying, here's la Dodgers broadcast, Derek and World Series champion Dodger Rick Monday.
Speaker 4: Rick, it's a beautiful day for a ball game. Everybody's a lot happier. It's with the sun out considering how cold it was last night.
Speaker 5: It was cold, so were the bats. Yeah, and they need to warm nose up and get some things taken care of. This has not been a good trip any stretch of imagination one and four. And for the Dodgers, you look at the standings and it just doesn't seem right. Pondres are leading the West, Dodgers percentage points behind the Giants. And then if you look around baseball, how many people gave a double take when they saw it's the Chicago Cubs leading their Central Division.
Speaker 4: Only thirteen games in, so a long way to go. As you know, Rick, it's a marathon, not a sprint.
Speaker 5: Yeah it is. And you know the tortoise and the hair. We'll find out what kind of happens and in which team is which.
Speaker 4: Dave Roberts brought up a great point on the last homestand the Dodgers faced the raining Cy Young winners in Chris Sale and Trek Schoubel. In those games they did not strike out fifteen times, but last night they did.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's not the first time they had high strikeout rate. So if you look at a couple of games on this road trip, they also walked too many batters, so you go cross reference on different things. Here's the other numbers too, And I mentioned this last night. On this road trip, the Dodgers are four for twenty two with runners in scoring position. They rode for seven last night, okay, but twenty two at bats right on this road trip, depposing teams have had forty opportunities with runners in scoring position. That's lopsided. That's got to change.
Speaker 4: Do you believe part of the symptom of that is the bottom of the Dodgers' order, The eight to nine hitters have not been getting on base and let alone getting that lineup flipped for those big guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I agree. And it's a wonderful point that you bring up, because we talked so many times in the importance of having the bottom part of the lineup. Andy Poont has at home run there was only three hints, has had two of those. If you look at seven eight nine in the lineup yesterday that was Monthly Pies and then the Barns. But the first game of the series, if you look at seven eight nine, only one base hit and that has been kind of the story. So the table has not really been set on a consistent basis to where you turn the lineup around and to your point, then you have Otani, Betts and Edmund coming on and then Tiascar Hernandez and there would be a new wrinkle back in the lineup Friday, as we understand from Dave Roberts, you got to work.
Speaker 4: That's right, Freddie Freeman will be back in the starting lineup on Friday, and I feel like we don't really appreciate the fact that if he's in the starting lineup, you know, keyk Hernandez is coming off the bench and you're not going to have as many strikeouts.
Speaker 5: Yep, I got something for you. You remember me telling you the story about Joe Demagio, And if we listen to that song where have You Gone, Missus Robinson by Paul Simon that came out in the nineteen seventy I told you the story is that Demagio is a coach with the A's. I heard it driving in to the stadium. That song where it says, you know, where have you gone? Joe Demagio, Nation turns its lonely eyes to you. Woo woo wooh. That's how it goes, Hey, hey, and yeah. And I asked Joe about it and he goes, what do you mean?
Speaker 2: What do you mean?
Speaker 5: He went panic mode. He said, can you get me a copy of that record? So I went out and we got a forty five. You know old times there was a record, Well it was on this date in nineteen seventy. Also, do you remember the Dick Cavitt Show on television.
Speaker 4: I do not, but I know about it.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well you know about it, and those that don't understand you can research it. He had a big, big show interview show and he had Mickey Mantle on on the show, and Paul Simon was also on that show, and Paul Simon evidently Mickey asked something about hey, Joe Demagio, where have you gone? Because Joe says, look, I haven't gone anywhere. Well it was Paul Simon that says, look, Mickey, it's about syllables. He goes, it's about how many beats that there are he goes, look where have you gone? Joe Demajia, and Nation turns his lonely eyes to you says, we could not put in there, where have you gone? Mickey Mantle? It just did not fit from a syllable standpoint, and that's.
Speaker 2: How the song was written.
Speaker 4: Hey never knew that, Ray, You never know whoa whoa whoa Two great center fielders. Thanks Rick, we'll check in with you and Tim Neverett later. We know where Rick Monday is gone. He's not going anywhere. We'll send it back to you in the studio.
Speaker 2: Tim, all right, thanks a lot of DV. Thank you, Moe. That's the Dodgers game plan. Dodger fans, start your future to California Community College. Financial aids available to help you with tuition books. Man, Sometimes even the rints time to take that next big step. Classes can fill up quickly, So enrolled today at I can go to college dot com. Still to come here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup, Tim Neverett. Rick Monday will be back with the keys to the game. But up actually go high and tie with one of the Dodgers top young relievers, Chack Dryer. That is next. As we lead you up to first pitch, I'm Tim Kase, the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunt game on your home for LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: It's Dodgers and Nationals from Washington, DC. Final game of this three game road trip. Landon Knack on the Mount. First pitch coming up at one oh five. Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by zen She Handcrafted Sushi. Enjoy the game with a quick, affordable meal that the whole family can enjoy. Zen She Handcrafted sushi made fresh on site daily by professionally trained sushi chefs with precision, passion and a tradition. You can chaste, tune role salmon, Temporo shrip, my personal favorite the mango crunchy dragon roll, and they also have poke bowls. Find zen She near the deli counter at Ralph's zench handcraft and sushi always fast, fresh and easy.
Speaker 1: And now what will likely be vast a fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 2: It's an engagement of endearment.
Speaker 4: This is high and tight, all right, Tim, I am out of my mental headspace right now because I'm joined right now by one of the smartest guys in that Dodger clubhouse. He is going to make me even more of a mental midget during these next few minutes as we get set for our first pitch in our nation's capital, and that is Dodger rookie reliever Jack Dryer. Jack, thanks a lot for the time, appreciated.
Speaker 10: Thank you very much for having me.
Speaker 4: What was Blake trying telling you in the food room.
Speaker 2: We just had a little pep talk.
Speaker 10: He wanted to make sure that I was aware of, you know, what to expect in a talk like this, But he had nothing but good things to say.
Speaker 4: And Blake trying him By the way, the first two days in DC very dressed up, but today he's back to Blake tryning with that black tank top.
Speaker 10: I think he must have gotten used to his old roots, so maybe he's feeling a little bit more comfortable now.
Speaker 4: Blake has kind of taken the role of what Daniel Hudson did for the bullpen last year. How much of a leader is Blake tryning for you guys.
Speaker 10: Yeah, he's been great. Obviously, you know, one of the veterans on the team, so he's done a great job of taking me and the other young guys under his wing and kind of showing us the ropes, telling us what to expect. But it's not just him, you know, we have an entire bullpen of good guys like that. So I'm just very thankful to be a part of the group.
Speaker 4: How do you get prepared for your groupings of hitters, because we've heard since Dave Robert's and Andrew Freeman took over, it's not so much about innings, it's about groupings of hitters.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I think one thing that the Dodgers do really well is have excellent communication. So going into games or series, we know where our lanes might be. But at the end of the day, our job is to go out there and just you know, do our job get outs, help the team have a chance to win. And so I think over all the bullpen has done an excellent job of that so far.
Speaker 4: How much does it feed off itself when you come in and you're facing a high leverage part of the order, like in Philadelphia striking out Bryce Sharper, facing that part of their lineup and succeeding, how much does that feed off itself as far as confidence goes?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, you know, obviously, if you afterwards, if you go back and look at it, it's a cool moment, and you know, it's fun to think about. But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter who you're facing. You know, our job is to go in there and throw strikes and get outs, and so that's just all I try to do.
Speaker 4: It seems like you've been in the league for five years, the way you're so composed on the mound. How have you been able to keep your poise and not let the game get too fast?
Speaker 10: I think, you know, going back to even when I was, you know, twelve years old, my dad would always tell me, you know, somebody should be able to watch the game and not know if you guys are winning or losing based on your body language. And so I think that's been a big part of how I try to, you know, act on the mound. You know, just like you said, keep my composure and do whatever it takes to let the team win. And so, you know, antics can stay out of the game.
Speaker 4: Jack Dryer is our guest all business, except when it comes to Rubik's cubes. How quickly can you solve a Rubik's cube?
Speaker 10: Back in the day when I was when I was practicing every day, it was thirteen seconds was my best time. But now I average about, you know, eighteen to twenty.
Speaker 4: So it's like me running the mile. You've slowed down.
Speaker 10: Yeah, over time, you'll you'll lose your touch eventually.
Speaker 4: How many of your teammates and your bullpen mates know this about you? And how many have tried to challenge you so far?
Speaker 10: I think it's pretty well known. You know, in spring training, Dot called me up in front of the team and had petition between me and Tommy Edmund and so Stanford guy, Yeah, Stanford guy, very very bright mind. So that was a cool moment. But everybody is aware of it now. I think guys just kind of avoid the topic.
Speaker 4: So how did it end up between you and Tommy Edmund in front of the team.
Speaker 10: We gave him a bit of a head start and I was able to I was able to close close the gap, So it ended up in my favor.
Speaker 4: Hey, speaking of all that, obviously, we know this game is all some say ninety percent mental. What are the mental exercises you go through to get ready to pitch?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think that's one thing that you know can really separate guys. And I think that's why the Dodgers do such a good job is because we have you know, mental coaches and coaches who understand the mental side of baseball. So it's all kinds of things, you know, like positive self talk, reinforcement, visualization, all all that kind of stuff. So we're really hitting, you know, every step on the way.
Speaker 4: All right, Jack, thanks a lot for the time, appreciate it. If you ever need a life coach, I'm available this season.
Speaker 10: Thank you very much. I'll have to take you up on that.
Speaker 4: There he goes. Dodger rookie reliever Jack Dryer has been our guest, and he receives a gift card to Canaan, World's best polarized sunglasses. Canaan's lenses are clearer, lighter, and stronger than other lenses and are nearly impossible to scratch. Visit them at Canaan dot Com for your pair. Tim, we'll send it back to you in that fancy studio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the fancy studio. DV appreciated Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Shaky's Pizza Parlor and join it right now for lunch on this day game from Washington DC. No better time to pop into Shaky's or order it at shakys dot com, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers audio broadcast. We've got some pepperoni, some cheese, got some Mojo's here. Great day for Shaky's, Great day for Dodgers Baseball's re lead Jetter first pitch IP National dive deeper to this pitching matchup. I'm Tim Kass, the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers audio note.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on tap on your home for the all season long.
Speaker 2: It's the Dodgers in Nationals, final game of this three game series from Washington, DC. First pitch coming up at one oh five, and.
Speaker 1: Now before the Dodgers hit the dining we look at the pitching matchups forres.
Speaker 2: It about your set at the California Toyota Dealers. Work hard and play hard and a new Tacomo with an I forced turbo charged engine. It's a truck built for the bold. See your Toyota dealer today. They make it easy. Jake Irvin on the mound for the Nationals. No wins, no losses, five to forty ERA twenty eight year old right hander former fourth round pick out of Indiana back in twenty eighteen, the third season now in the big leagues. Last year thirty three starts, tied for the most in the National League, top five in innings. Pitched his third start this season. He's one to two in four career starts against the Dodgers, with a four to fifty seven era. Landon Knack on the mound for the Dodgers, already one to oh. The twenty seven year old right hander made his major league debut last year. It was with the Dodgers in Tokyo. Pitch two scoreless innings against the Cubs and got the win. He made just one start at Oklahoma City last week, four and two third innings, and called up today to face the Nationals. Landon Nack Jake Irvin, Dodgers Nationals. We're fifteen minutes away from first pitch. Keys to the game. Our next I'm Tim Kason's World champion Los Angeles Dodgers audio.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on jack On, the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Nationals. Landing Nac called up gets the starts, already got a win underneath his Belton relief in Tokyo. First pitch from Washington, DC coming up at one five Before first pitch, we head back out to the booth. Tim neffert Rick Monday, guys, Tim.
Speaker 3: Thanks again. We're getting you ready for the first pitch this afternoon at Nationals Park. On a very very good looking day. It's going to be very nice into the evening here. No clouds in the sky. Temperature is a bit on the cool side, but should be in the low fifties around game time as the Dodgers and Nationals play Game three of this three game set. Dodgers will fly out immediately afterward, be back in Los Angeles late tonight, a day off tomorrow, and then they'll start a homestand beginning with the Chicago Cubs on Friday night. But first things first, a chance to salvage a series here today. Roster move made, Land and Knack activated. Justin Robluski, who was the starter last night, was optioned back to Triple A. Sonat gets the start. His last appearance was on the third of April against the Olpaso Chihuahuas. The San Diego Padres top farm club. Pitch pretty well got a no decision. But now he's back in the big leagues and looking for another win.
Speaker 5: Needs to throw strikes and really be able to land the breaking bowl. It's a good breaking ball. If he gets the first bit, strikes, gets ahead early using that breaking ball, mix it in, it's going to be really nice. Twelve starts plus four relief appearances a season ago, plus one save, his record was four and five. On the flip side of the coin, Tim Dodgers figuring out Jake Irv they had seen him in the past. And if we look a couple of things. First of all, the fast ball this year already limited sample size, no question about that. His fastball has been hit at a six hundred batting average against the other part Two, I mentioned curveball with Nack, well with Irvin last year. First pitch in particular, he threw curb bulls one out of every three batters that came on first pitch to them.
Speaker 3: Jake Irvin going for the Nationals landon Knack will pitch for the Dodgers as the Dodgers look to win just their second game on this six game two city road trip.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, guys. First pitch coming up, Dodgers looking to have a happy flight at home, get a win in the final game of this road trip. Afterwards, I'll be back with all the postgame festivities, including reaction from the clubhouse, highlights, and Dodger talk as well. That's it for the pregame. First pitch coming up when we return. I'm Tim Kakson. This is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.